Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI Am sixty Wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app. It's five o'clock straight up, Good morning. It's Monday, Yeah, Happy, Happy Monday. The date is June second, so we will no longer be referring to all these icky low clouds as May gray. It is officially June gloom. Yeah, and we have a nice thick layer of it this morning in some areas.
Speaker 2: That's okay. It's gonna be sunny this afternoon. It's gonna be gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Still hacking away from the remnants of my cold. So if it goes quiet for a second, that's why.
Speaker 2: It's not quiet on my end. I'm just who last yet. It's a hack, that's all it is.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful, still watching for sunny and Gizmo our eaglets.
Speaker 2: They did not want to fly, so you know.
Speaker 1: Sonny lifted off last week a couple of times actually, but they stayed close to home for the weekend.
Speaker 2: So is today the day? We don't know.
Speaker 1: It could happen anytime, anytime right now. I think that they just like hanging out with each other. And we found out that their sisters they don't know unless they actually do DNA testing, but they believe because of there's certain things, including their vocalizations and that kind of.
Speaker 2: Stuff, that they are both girls. Okay, sisters, Okay. Anyway, here's what's ahead on wake up called.
Speaker 1: LA. Mayor bass Is called for an emergency meeting a city hall to evaluate security in LA following what's been described as a terror attack on Jewish demonstrators in Boulder, Colorado. A man used a makeshift flamethrower to attack a group that was demonstrating in support of the release of the remaining Israeli hostages.
Speaker 2: Eight people were hurt.
Speaker 1: A man's been rescued from twenty feet up a tree in the Hollywood Hills, LA Fire says the man was in medical distress yesterday afternoon on North Mount Olympus Drive. Firefighters were able to get the thirty year old down from the tree canopy.
Speaker 2: He was taken to the hospital.
Speaker 1: Not clear if he was working at the time or how he got stuck in the tree. Fire officials investigating a fire at an Amazon warehouse near Glendale in which eight vehicles were destroyed and two were damaged. The fire happened around one thirty yesterday morning on West San Fernando Road. All the delivery vans were empty at the time. Ukraine may be down, but it's not out. It hit Russia and hit hard over the weekend. ABC's Patrick Reevel's going to join us in just a couple of minutes to give us the latest on that Trump's got a new tariff plan for the European Union and it is supposed to kick in quick. ABC's Karen Travers has the latest on that that's happening at five point twenty. At the bottom of the hour, ABC's Jim Ryan is going to join us to tell us why now is the time? Now is the time to change all your passwords and with a razor thin margin for error, some republic and Senators continue their pushback against the presidents so called Big Beautiful Bill. ABC's Stephen Portnoy will help us sort through that. He's so good at helping make sense of these crazy, crazy, intricate and complicated deals. Well, say good morning to ABC's Patrick reveal Patrick. Ukraine may be down, but they showed this weekend that they're not out.
Speaker 2: What happened over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Hi, Ami, Yeah, absolutely, an extraordinary attack took place as we can both extraordinary in its results but also in how it took place. Basically, Ukraine succeeded in smuggling in dozens of.
Speaker 4: Commercial cord Copter drones into Russia and then launching this incredible surprise attack against four of Russia's most important strategic air bases across the country, some one up in the Arctic, one thousands of miles from Ukraine deep in Siberia, and these bases are home to Russia's strategic bomber fleet. These are the long range bombers used to launch cruise missiles at Ukraine, but are also the same type of aircraft that are used for Russia's nucleated terrein These are the type of planes that fly to Alaska, for example, and force the US to scramble jets. And the damage that Ukraine was able to inflict is remarkable. You know, we've seen not only videos from the drones over the weekend, but also this morning we've seen satellite imagery that suggests that at least twelve of Russia's heavy long range bombers have been destroyed at just two of these airfields. And to put in perspective, there's only a few dozen of these aircraft, and they haven't really built many of them since the Cold War because they're so expensive and they're so difficult to replace, and so basically the equivalent of the US is B fifty two's and so to suffer this extraordinary attack where you know, a large, significant number of them are destroyed just by these very cheap commercial drones in this spectacular way, there's obviously a huge psychological blow to Russia's air force.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Patrick, I want to look just a little closer, because you said they're very inexpensive drones and the way that they carried it out was absolutely just amazing that they were able to do this. But you're saying that they were small commercial drones that were used. So are we talking about a drone that's like two feet across or is it a larger drone? How big were these drones?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think actually slightly smaller. Even you know, these are basically the sort of these are basically these quad copter drones, you know, the four propellers that you would see people using just for fun or for filming things in the United States, and they of course modified them. We believe they did put sort of improved guidance systems on them. Possibly there was a use of AI involving them, and obviously they put explosives on them. But these ultimately are very cheap drones. You know, they're around at most, you know, sort of thousand dollars, maybe fifteen hundred dollars, and these aircraft are worth hundreds of millions of dollars. And you know, as you were saying, I mean, the way that they did it was completely extraordinary, and that they smuggled the drones in and then they hit them inside what were basically mobile homes, you know, wooden sheds that were put on the back of trucks, and then we believe they were driven by Russian civilian truck drivers who probably didn't know what they were carrying. And then basically when they got close to these bases, they then opened up the roofs of these containers and.
Speaker 3: Then the drones just started flying out. I mean, the videos are extraordinary, you know, you see these.
Speaker 4: Truck drivers just amazed as they're watching these things take off. And then we've seen the sort at least one example where there were truck drivers desperately trying to bring down the drones by standing on top of the containers trying to hit them with clubs, but obviously just an extraordinary intelligence coup as well for Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Patrick, I know you got to run, so thank you so much for the information.
Speaker 2: It's just amazing what they they did.
Speaker 1: And I guess they've been planning it for about a year and it was incredibly successful. We'll see if it makes any kind of difference. But Patrick Reeville, ABC, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So can you imagine that because it sounds like you've got a mobile home on the back of a semi truck that you see driving down the road sometimes or in the freeway. I see it more in Oregon than I do in California. And then all of a sudden, the top opens up and all these drones come flying out.
Speaker 2: Craziness. Monday morning. This is your wake up call.
Speaker 1: I'm Amy King. Thanks so much for getting your day started with us. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Karen Travers. So, Karen, another day, another change in tariffs.
Speaker 2: What is the latest?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so we have a couple things. The President on Friday announced that he was going to increase tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from twenty five percent to fifty percent. He did this when he was out in western Pennsylvania and the pitt Berg area talking about how he is going to boost the domestic steel industry. He said, this means nobody is going to be able to steal your industry. Think very much pun intended there. Of course, there is big pushback on this. The European Commission says that they strongly regret this increase because it's going to undermine efforts right now taking place to negotiate a trade deal, and they said they're going to have counter measures retaliatory tariffs put in place. Canadian steel workers are pushing back, saying that this should spark an immediate and forceable response from the Canadian government. We haven't heard yet if they are going to do that. But it also comes as the President is accusing China of renegging on the commitment made in Geneva a couple of weeks ago that led him to reduce tariffs and Chinese goods from one forty five to thirty percent. China insists that they have not renegged on that agreement and that the president is making baseless accusations. But apparently, according to his top economic advisors, he is going to speak with China's president this week, So a lot on the agenda for them to get to in that phone call.
Speaker 2: Wow. So, like I said, another day, another change.
Speaker 1: It's just like how do you keep up with the bouncing ball as you've called it.
Speaker 6: Lots of documents open.
Speaker 2: Yes, So Karen, here's the question.
Speaker 1: He's saying, Okay, we're raising these and this one is a pretty quick turnaround. It's not like it's happening in ninety days. He's saying it's happening in two more days this week.
Speaker 6: Now more days.
Speaker 1: Is that because or do we have any inkling or indication that it's because the trade negotiations are not moving along as he wants them to.
Speaker 2: So he's basically pushing the envelope.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think it could be a part of that in you know, they've acknowledged that they have not reached trade agreements. Of course with countries, we would have known about it by now. They keep saying that they're close, but they're also acknowledging that, you know, things are not great in the conversations with China, which is why they want to get him on the phone sheet this week. I think another part of this is when you look at what happened last week with the three judge panel that said the President exceeded his authority on tariffs and put them on hold. Then the appeals court said, well, we'll let them stay in place while it plays out in court. The steel and aluminum tariffs aren't a part of that. They were allowed to continue. So perhaps it's like the President looking at this and say, well, that's the one thing I can still work with and I can increase, I can change, I can use this as a leverage negotiating tool. And so they did it on Friday.
Speaker 1: Okay, and this is specifically on steel and aluminum.
Speaker 2: Do we make enough of it here?
Speaker 5: That is a question.
Speaker 6: I have gotten masked a couple times this morning, and I don't know the answer to that. Like ten companies suddenly just say great, we're going to shift then to domestic steelmakers. And will the supply be there if they do that, I don't know the answer to that. We're the world's largest steel importer, so clearly we are getting steel, a massive amount of steel from other countries around the world. Now, the criticism is because it's cheaper, and the idea than is to make it more expensive so that these companies here have to buy American made steel, gotcha.
Speaker 1: I was just I was curious about it because when we're talking about the car making and that kind of stuff, they would physically have to build plants. But we do have steel plants in the US.
Speaker 6: We do, so it'd be interesting to see Kyle production exactly. And that's not something that can be done overnight, you know, it's really difficult.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure we're going to be talking again this week because we have two days until those tarriffs are supposed to kick in, and who knows what's going to happen between now and then.
Speaker 6: Stay tuned a lot of conversations, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: All right, Thank you so much, Karen Travers with ABC. Have a great Monday.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 1: And did you see those little angels? Okay, the Eagles are up this morning. Of course we're waiting for them to fledge. We're on Fledge Watch now instead of Pip Watch, and they could fly at any time. And as we were telling you, Shannon and I and obviously Gary and Shannon were on the air and one of the eagles took off and Shannon and I just lost it.
Speaker 2: I started crying. It was wonderful.
Speaker 1: It was beautiful, and then he got blown back into the nest and she hasn't tried to leave since, so it'll be interesting to see that could happen anytime. Maybe she was just gaining her confidence. But we'll be watching. They're up and they're flapping around this morning, so.
Speaker 2: We're saying both girls. Yes, yep.
Speaker 1: The friends of Big Bearrett Valley now considers or has estimated or guestimated that they are both girls. So Sonny and Gizmo are sisters. When we come back, now is the time to change all of your passwords. I know it's going to be a pain in the butt, but ABC's Jim Ryan's gonna tell us why and what could happen if you don't. We'll be talking about passwords and changing them in just moments.
Speaker 2: Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. Morning, Jim Baby, how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm good, but apparently I got to run home, go to my computer and change all of my passwords.
Speaker 7: Now, you know what, you should probably just do it during the next spot break. You need to get in there and shout because yeah, massive data breach one hundred and eighty four million online accounts have been compromised, They've been discovered. There's this guy, this internet researcher, Jeremiah Fowler, who spends all day and all night looking for things like this, and he found a big one, this massive that all this data, these hundred and eighty four million files, these online accounts were being housed in a hosting service. Right, so, Apple, Facebook, Googled, the others contract with these hosting companies to hold on to that data and presumably to keep it all safe. But even that huge file, that that cache of data was not password protected. What so yeah, yeah, there was no two step authentication to get into that. There wasn't password. It was essentially open file. And whoever it was, I don't know if it was even hacking since it was apparently so easy to get hold of and now it's out there. The hosting company is trying to shut it down. It's trying to do what it can. But for the rest of us, it's just a matter of trying to protect ourselves individually by changing your passwords.
Speaker 2: Okay, so is it too late?
Speaker 1: I mean, if they have the information or once the passwords change, then your accounts are safe again.
Speaker 7: Well yeah they should be, yes, So let's say your bank account information is in that huge amount of data, your password, your user name before they can use it for some the various cause, or you need to go in and change your passwords so that it's protected again, use a password generator, use some method that you don't have to sit there and remember all your passwords at the same time. Use two step authentication, which I think is pretty handy. Facial recognition is or really good on my bank is my account is tied to that within the phone app, right, So instead of remembering passwords for that or for some others, just look at your phone and the facial recognition will will open up the account for you. Nobody else can get into it, okay.
Speaker 1: So if I have the facial recognition or the two step authentication, am I okay?
Speaker 2: Or should I change it anyway?
Speaker 7: You should be good. You should be good. But again, you know, better safe than sorrow. Even with the facial recognition, you can tie that to a new password, right, so you go into the once you look at the phone and it opens up the account, go in and save that change that password anyway, because it's still based on a password even though facial recognition is there. So change the password, maintain the facial recognition, and you should be good to go there. But it's all sorts of data Apple, Facebook, Google, that includes Google Gmail. And here's the other thing that he recommends, Jeremiah and Jeremiah Fallard, quit using your email as a cloud storage device. Right, So deep within your email, and I'm guilty too. Deep within that email is potentially your tax return because you send it to your account, or you send it to somebody or got it back from them, so your tax return is in there. Potentially medical records, could be your work contract, a list of passwords that you thought would be safe within your email, well it's not. You know, all of that could be part of this huge data breach.
Speaker 1: Amy all right, I'm going home to change my passwords. But better safe than sorry, right, Jim Ryan.
Speaker 7: Exactly protect yourself, you know, it's all we can do. And make sure your phone is updated. You know, if it says update, go ahead and do it. Don't bother in waiting till tonight. Go ahead and do it now. It'll be at a commission for just a few minutes.
Speaker 1: Okay, ABC's Jim Ryan, thanks for the tips, appreciate it all.
Speaker 2: Right, Time to get in your.
Speaker 1: Business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho Courtney.
Speaker 2: The big question of the day, how are you good?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So my question of the day is how do you say price hike without actually saying price hike?
Speaker 5: Yes, that's what America's retailers are attempting to do, and they're coming up with a big old worm salad. So this report is sponsored by Total Line and more so that's buy in Target. They say they're adjusting prices, not raising prices. The footwear company behind Hooka Sneakers is quote flexing the pricing power of its brands, that's how they say it. And home Gooods owner TJX didn't even mention the word price. So listen to this verbal gymnastics that they're going through. They said in the call last week, if retails do move out there, we will adjust our retails to preserve that gap. According to the Wall Street Journal, retailers are audition it out in the hopes of not scaring off customers or raising the iron President Trump. I mean, look at what happened with Walmart when the President said eat the tariffs. It's you know, they're coming up with different ways to just really not say what's what's ahead of them.
Speaker 1: You know what this reminds me of Courtney is I was in my pavilions the other day and on the end cap they had cereals and I was like, oh, cious, which I don't almost ever buy, and it says big box, big box, and like it had these big signs on it, which again, like you said, it's word salad because it's fake. They're saying it's a big box, but I'm like, that's smaller than the boxes used to be.
Speaker 2: But they're just saying it's.
Speaker 1: Big, but it really isn't. And that you know, yes, that whole shrinkflation thing that I think is still affecting everybody.
Speaker 5: And what they're just hoping in all of this is we're going to forget some of these things. But even though a lot of companies they do have to come up with some sort of way to be able to offset the tariffs. But then also not all the tariffs are coming through right now, so they also have to be able to not say, hey, we're putting through a price hike, say the tariff doesn't go through that really affects certain products that they have. Then want to be able to have the verbal flexibility to be able to kind of go back on what they said. But some executives have talked to the Wall Street Journal and they said, raising prices is the last resort of what they're going to do. They're going to try to find other ways. Costco last week said, look, we're going to try to move things forward. We're going to try to change certain seasonal things. We're going to go to different suppliers. We're going to have a different product makeup, just so they don't have to come in and raise the prices.
Speaker 1: All right, we shall see. So this is something that isn't on the way up. It appears to be on the way down. And that's oil prices. And how's that going to help if I'm going to travel this summer?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it could mean cheaper airline tickets are on the way. According to the International Air Transport Association, there's almost a direct correlation between the price of oil and the cost of an airline ticket, and the price of oil has come down significantly, even though it's higher today. Right now it's at sixty three dollars a barrel. But lower ticket prices usually fuel a lot of demand. People say, okay, prices are a lot lower. I'm going to take my family on a vacation. But the trade group says it also clearly drives down the overall revenue for the industry. So this isn't good for the airlines, because the airlines are expected to now earn thirty six billion dollars this year. Earlier in December they predicted a much higher number than that. But last week, as we heard, some of the airlines are coming out and they're already saying we're going to have cheaper flights. United being one of them saying, hey, we're going to have cheaper flights out of Newark and New Jersey. So because a lot of people have been avoiding that airport.
Speaker 2: Afleet well because people are almost crashing.
Speaker 5: And stuff like that exactly. But Delta Airlines too, they actually came out and they said they're more confident about demand. They said CEO ed Bashin, he talked to Bloomberg and he expects bookings to tick up after a lot of people showed some restraints. Hearing all of these.
Speaker 1: Headlines, all right, well, well we'll be watching, so watch those ticket prices. And before we let you go, what's going on in the stocks this morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we're looking at a lower open this morning because we're seeing the flare up in trade tensions between the US and China. There's some mutual accusations between the two of breaching a trade deal. DW futures are down seventy points. But think about where we are right now. It was the best May for the S and P five hundred since nineteen ninety. We saw the S and P five hundred, after a volatile month, gain more than six percent. So sometimes when we hear these tariff headlines pulling back, we do see stocks pop hire.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll be watching them.
Speaker 1: That's Bloomberg's Courtney don Hoe Donahoe getting in your business every day.
Speaker 2: Let's do it again tomorrow, shall we?
Speaker 5: Definitely we will.
Speaker 8: I'll talk to you.
Speaker 2: Later, thanks, Courtney.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's say good morning now to ABC's Stephen Portnoy. So, Stephen, the President's so called big Beautiful bills still awaiting action in the Senate, and with such a small majority of the Senate can only have like three senators vote against it.
Speaker 2: So where does it stand now?
Speaker 8: Well, right now, if the bill were put on the floor of the House today, it would not pass, and so tweaks are going to have to be made to get this thing through the Senate. To what extent those changes will be made, and to what extent they might threaten the bill's prospects in the House. That's sort of hanging over all this. The Senate comes back today after a week off of the Memoriality recess, and you have varying camps within the Senate Republican caucus. You have fiscal hawks who are concerned about the impact that this measure would have on the national debt.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 8: The White House pushes back strongly against the idea that it would raise the national debt by three point eight trillion dollars according to the estimate of the Congressional Budget Office. The White House argues that that takes into account prospect that they don't see as realistic, which is the snap back of tax rates to where they were before the Trump era tax cuts of twenty seventeen. And so the White House says that that shouldn't be factored in, that today's tax rates are where they would if this bill passed, and so therefore it shouldn't be considered a cost to the treasury or but that's the way things are viewed by the Congressional Budget Office. They look at the way the law currently is before the pass of this bill, because there's a chance it won't pass, and then the tax rates would snap back, and that would be revenue that's coming in. So the fact that that wouldn't happen has to be in the mind of the CBO factored in. Plus, the White House also argues that it will spark economic growth, and that CBO consistently underestimates the growth at least sparked by Trump policies, And so the White House and Speaker Johnson are saying that people should pay no mind to the CBO score. Republicans and the Senate, on the other hand, they're like, a not so fast. They do trust the CBO, or at least they're more inclined to trust it now. So that's the concern of the fiscal haughts. Then you have the moderates who are concerned about the Medicaid changes. There's the enhanced requirement for at least searching for work or performing some sort of volunteer task. You have to be looking for work, and some Republican senators say that they're not certain that their own states will be ready to ramp up some sort of a verification requirement in time. So you have that. Then you have the concerns about some of the tax implications and the Medicaid changes, a provision that aims to freeze state taxes on Medicaid providers as a means of paying for the healthcare coverage. There's also a concern about new copays for Medicaid recipients, what Senator Josh Hawley is calling a sick tax. This idea that people who are on Medicaid will have to actually share some of the costs by paying copays. Hawley doesn't want that. So you have a difficult high mountain for the Republican senators to climb before this thing gets back to the House to be sent to the President's desk. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Steve and I have a question for you, because you perked up my ears when you were talking about the Medicaid work requirement or volunteer requirement. Do you know how many people are on Medicaid?
Speaker 2: Do you have an idea you know? I actually don't.
Speaker 8: I'm sure I could google it and get back to you on that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was just wondering because if I mean, like, on the surface, it sounds like a good thing, Like if you're getting all this free money from the government, why not have to work for it a little bit? But if you're looking at millions of people, I'm just talking about practicality right now. If you're looking at twenty million people, and I think it's more. But if you look at twenty million people, how with a low unemployment rate, how are you going to get all those people to actually work or volunteer. That's a lot of people to have that requirement there.
Speaker 8: And by the way, I just google it real fast. According to the Center for Medicaid Medicare Services, more than seventy one million Americans enrolled in Medicaid. Many of them are children.
Speaker 1: You know what, all the volunteer programs in America are going to be very well staffed.
Speaker 2: If that goes through, well, that's it.
Speaker 8: Look, this provision would add an eighty hour per month work requirement, and the idea would be that maybe you are engaged in childcare for the neighborhood, or you, as you say, amy, volunteer. The point is, you know, half of the work days of the month would have to be spent by you in an eight hour per day work situation, or maybe four hours per day every day. And you know that's some moderate Republicans are pushing back against that. They either think it's too arduous or too difficult for the states to verify. And you know, I'll just say that when it comes to how this is going to be handled, you have to figure out how to get these votes. There is, as you note, fifty three Republican senators and they can only afford to lose three and still have Vice President Vance breaking the tie. At the moment, according to Senator Ron Johnson, there at least four Republican knows, so that would be enough to tank the bill as it's currently constituted. So this is the process. The White House is maintaining an optimistic view of this. The deadline Republican senators are set for themselves, I should say the leadership at least is July fourth, So there's about a month for Republican senators to dig into this and see what they can come up with. But there's also the risk. Remember, you know it was in the first Trump term there was so much impetus in the Republican Party to repeal the Affordable Care Act. They couldn't get it done.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we'll be watching it. We got a month ago. Steven Bortenoy, thanks so much. We'll talk to you again soon.
Speaker 2: You bet all right.
Speaker 1: Live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom, I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app