Speaker 1: Welcome to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Guardians Radio network. Guardians Weekly is brought to you by Progressive Helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, welcome them to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosenhouse along with you from Guardians Spring Training in Goodyear, Arizona. It is great to be able to say that spring training in full swing. And if you're tuned on the radio side today and if you listen to a podcast early in the day, we have baseball for you on the radio this afternoon, as the Guardians will take on the Cincinnati Reds and the Cactus League opener with the first pitch of three to zero five Hall of Famer Tom Hamilton, we'll have the call of the first pitch of the Cactus League season for you right around that three tozho five mark against Terry Francona's Reds. How about this, though, the Reds have a split squad day to day and Tito is going with the other team that's playing the Brewers over in Maryvale, so we won't get to see our old friend Terry Francona. But there are several other games between the Guardians and Reds this sprout. So at some point in time, we'll catch up with Tito, and I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun to see him in the game managing. But the task at hand the Guardians preparing to defend their American League Central Division crown and a season ago, twenty twenty four ended in the American League Championship Series. And I don't know how many people saw that coming at this time a year ago, not because of the talent level of Cleveland, but there was a lot of change last year, most notably in that manager's office, where Steven Vote, with no managerial experience, took over the Reins and led the ball club to a ninety two win season and to the American League Championship Series, and along with that was named American League Manager of the Year. So a great season for Steven Vote, his first as a manager, and he has fired up and ready to go a lot of confidence walking around that clubhouse and hearing guys talk about some of the new players that have been acquired and just others who are in different roles now as they gain more experience at the major league level, and we'll hear from some of them on our show today. So coming up in the second half of our show today, we will hear from center fielder Lane Thomas, who had a playoff series to remember when the Guardians took on the Detroit Tigers in the American League Division Series. A huge home run and a blowout win in Game one, and then the Grand Slam that snapped a tie ball game off of Cy Young Award winner Trek Scooble that proved to be the big blow in the decisive Game five win for the Guardians and that propelled them to the Alcs. So we'll hear from Lane Thomas after our second break. When we head into the second half of our show, we'll also visit with Ben Lively, who had a fine season a year ago on the mound for the Guardians. Surprisingly so is he was quiet in spring training, battling in illness, but came on and really proved to be one of the more consistent starting pitchers for the Guardians in a year where they needed some depth and he certainly provided that. And we'll also hear from Tyler Freeman, the utility man who started last season surprisingly so in center field, an unfamiliar position for him this year, who knows he could be the opening day second baseman, with that job very much up for grabs as spring training begins. But first we are going to hear from Brad Goldberg, the new assistant pitching coach, after a tremendous season his first in the major leagues as the Guardian's bullpen coach a year ago overseeing the best bullpen in all of baseball, and this year he'll be in the dugout helping out pitching coach Carl Willison assistant pitching coach Joe Torres. He's no how State guys, so we'll talk to him about a fun off season for him as he followed the Buckeyes football team on the road to the national championship, and also some good stuff about some of the pitching that's coming from the minor league system that could be helpful this season. So Brad Goldberg, the young assistant pitching coach, we'll join us next as we had a chance to visit with him at the tail end of the off season, and we'll hear that interview one re return on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 3: When you switch and save with Progressive, you could use that money towards scoring court side seats for your favorite team. Progressive cannot guarantee that you can score court side seats. Drivers who switch and save with Progressive good save one hundreds on average, but court side seats can be astronomical. Maybe if your team plays in a smaller market, you could swing it even Still, it's unlikely. Maybe fourthrow which are still incredible seats that you'll enjoy greatly. Savings possible court side lung shot switch and see if you could save at Progressive dot Com Progressive Casually Injuries and affiliate. It's not available in all states. Progressive cannot guarantee that someone really tall will not sit in front of you at the game, rendering your excellen seats just okay.
Speaker 1: Now the two two Delivery and Jimenez swingens and missus had a good slider. What else is new? The Guardian's bullpen throws up a zero, So Cleveland's gone from the starting pitching factory to now developing power arms in the back of the bullpen. The two swing ANmS slider wiped them out. Aaron strikes out Sweeney a dozen strikeouts for Cleveland pitching.
Speaker 2: Now the one too.
Speaker 1: Got them swinging on the heat ninety seven miles an hour. Kate Smith, four batter's face, four strikeouts. It's remarkable. But when your bullpen's as good as Cleveland's, you just don't lose.
Speaker 2: Game's late.
Speaker 1: Now the pitch swung on, trailed on the ground on one half to third, ramires to second. Doggie Anda Jose Mesa has been eclipsed in the record books. Emanual claws A stands alone as the greatest single season closer in Cleveland baseball history.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Guardians Weekly. We are joined now by Guardians Assistant pitching coach Brad Goldberg. The name is familiar. He was at the bullpen coach a year ago and did great work in that area, and then this offseason named assistant pitching coach, and Brad, I know coming off a last season an exciting one for you, and it sounds like more excitement this offseason as you take on a new role heading into twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Excited to get back to Goodyear here in a day or two.
Speaker 5: And I live in Ohio, so anytime I have to clean snow off my car means I'm getting ready to board that flight and that's good by me.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you had a real Ohio winter this year instead of what we had in the past couple of years where it was kind of mild. But I'm for you taking a look back at last year, your first time at the major league level, and the bullpen was such a strength, and when you looked back on it, were was there a key or two that you thought really made that group click, especially with so many young pitchers who were going at it like you for the first time at the major league level.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure I can put my finger on one key, but I think you know that the culture that Voter established, the pregame preparation, everyone being involved, and then you know, the youth in general in the bullpen, including myself, not that I threw any pitches, but us all going through it with you know, the four plus rookies.
Speaker 4: You know, I had some time.
Speaker 5: As a player and the majority of those guys had, you know, cups of coffee. But the comfort that Voter created for them in the preparation that they can hang their hat on and create confidence through was that really sticks out to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mentioned that, and obviously he wins American League Manure of the Year, and most of the time when that happens, those managers give so much credit to their coaching staff, but a big key is they let their coaches coach and do their thing. And how important was that to you that that he gave you some some latitude to really put your imprint on what you wanted to do out there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was wonderful.
Speaker 5: He gives full autonomy to all of us, you know, once we align, and you know, I am the staff in the organ in the game in general, is lucky and blessed to have Carl Willis. Obviously we get to do it with him every day, but to you know, bounce ideas off of him and get to interact with him every day, and you know him provide wisdom and ideas with Joe Torrah is there as well, who has a bunch of experience and is a brilliant mind. It's a it's a it's a cool culture and one that you know, we work hard to create. But once we align on what we think is best and you give the players a voice, then it's, you know, let's let's go compete in a US from there.
Speaker 2: When the season first started, did you have some apprehension about how things would work and would some of your ideas and things that you could do to help the pitchers. Would they come to fruition? Was there any of that in there for you? And if so, how quickly did that go away?
Speaker 5: I wouldn't call it apprehension, No, I think it was just you know, it's not nerves either, It's just that excitement. You know, you're just ready to You know, you're in spring training for a long time. There's a lot of things that you know you've worked on with the players and they're excited, so.
Speaker 4: You know you're ready to go at that point.
Speaker 5: And from there it's it's adjust it's great relationships and you know, Carl's been doing this a long time. I had a lot of success, so I felt very supported by vote alb Carl, you know, everyone but in our domain super supported.
Speaker 4: And I think the players felt that too.
Speaker 2: When you look at the talent out there. You had a chance to work with the manual class A and what was that like? How much is it hands on and how much is it hands off? And let him do his thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I got a funny story. We met with class A once in spring training. We showed him some video, We got some feedback from him. He was very appreciative and He's like, you, guys, ever have anything, bring it to me. Just make sure you're very confident what you have, and I'll listen and like super complimentary, like such a great guy. And it was funny because from there like, there were many conversations after that, and it's a testament to you know, how smart he is and aware of.
Speaker 4: His body and the feel he has.
Speaker 5: So he's a special, special guy and a special talent.
Speaker 2: And maybe on the other side of that, a young pitcher who was trying to make his way first time in the major leagues and had a tremendous rookie season, Kate Smith. What did you see maybe in the minor leagues working with him in your prior role, and then as he got into it during the season that allowed him to be so effective.
Speaker 5: I've been fortunate enough to be around Kate for two straight years now. I had him in Akron in twenty three. This will be three years now in a row. He's probably sick of me, but he is such an impressive young man, from his preparation.
Speaker 4: To his diet to his goals.
Speaker 5: You know, none of his success really shocked anyone in the ORG. He is like the poster child and player development, transitioning in the major leagues for you know, taking a player plan, you know, like investing in his development, getting feedback, being open, like the communication is a one so you know, to.
Speaker 4: The level of success.
Speaker 5: Would we be surprised, Maybe a little, because you know there were times where he was dominant, but the human is you know what you can bet on, and we'll always bet on him.
Speaker 2: Brad Goldberg's joining us. He's the Guardian's assistant pitching coach this year. Let's talk about that transition. Brad, you're coming into the dugout now after spending last year in the bullpen. First, what will you miss about the day and nights in the bullpen on a regular basis.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's just a little bit of a different animal. Obviously, it's it's a people business. So I miss the people, whether that's you know, Ricky Patrionn or Eric Rodrigue is out there bullpen catchers.
Speaker 4: You know, the fun portion of it.
Speaker 5: And then the quote unquote fire drills when the phone rings and guys have to get going really fast and prepare, and you know those are fun. You know, the low heartbeat of everyone down there when when things are going fast is it's something that everyone, you know, I wish could experience. It's it's thrilling, but yeah, I'll just miss the people and you know, kind of going from watching the game and forecasting what's going to happen to when that phone rings, everyone's you know, heart rate spikes and then they're in the game two minutes later.
Speaker 2: So that the Guardians approach you about a potential position in the dugout as an assistant pitching coach. What's that going to entail and and how how much do you think that fills a gap that maybe there was that could really be helpful for some of the pitch over the course of the season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we're still working through it, but they approached me about a little bit more of like in game planning, in game adjusting, a little bit more advanced work on the front end and scouting.
Speaker 4: So you know, maybe I'll let you know later in the year.
Speaker 5: So we're still working through it and we'll you know, rehearse in spring training and get ideas from the players, get ideas from Carl Albi. You know, we'll talk to our hting coaches about how they make adjustments and hopefully reverse engineer that. So I think it's still fluid, but I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting because you'll be one of three pitching coaches in the dugout, and just in general, the amount of coaches has increased. You haven't been out of the game as a player that long and you had some major league time. How different is it though, even in that short period of time from when you pitched, in terms of the information available and the resources that you could have during the course of a.
Speaker 4: Game, Yeah, it's different.
Speaker 5: It's I think the is trying to filter it to each player and seeing what makes sense for them and translating it into what they've been working on or what their strengths are. What we're seeing the last you know, five, ten, fifteen days, whatever we.
Speaker 4: Think the sample size is.
Speaker 5: But you know, our players are you know, they're they're taught and they're educated on you know, the data now, so they take it and it's it's trying to filter it to them.
Speaker 4: So it's still the people business. But yeah, it's changed quite a bit.
Speaker 5: And you know, the feel that Carl has and hopefully imparts on us is what we can work off of, and we're excited to do that.
Speaker 2: Obviously, familiar names on the pitching staff, post starting rotation and bullpen. Wise, you're not that far removed from player development. There'll be some young kids in major league camp, a name or two for us to keep an eye on that you're pretty excited to see at least get a look in major league camp and who knows, maybe make that next step during the course of the season.
Speaker 5: Sure, starting, we can go with Doug mccasey, left hander out of Ole Miss A high draft pick. He has worked really hard to hone in his delivery. He spins the ball extremely well. He is a world class competitor. Care levels extremely high, really easy to root for. You know, it's always nice to have a left handers that can start as well. And then in the bullpen. Franco Alaman another guy that just got added to the forty man this offseason. Big imposing figure, super intense guy, hard throwing, wrighty with a little funky delivery. He's out of the University of Florida, So we're excited to see them get their first taste of major league camp and hopefully contribute at some point.
Speaker 2: Just a couple of names of many that will be keeping an eye on out in Goodyear. Brad Goldberg's joining us. He's out of the Ohio State University. But this must have been a fun offseason for you. How dialed in on the football team were you this offseason?
Speaker 4: Brad, very very invested. I was very fortunate.
Speaker 5: I got to go to multiple games after our season unfortunately ended kind of on a whim. I got to travel to Atlanta to the national title a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 4: And that was a, you know, experience it. I'll never forget.
Speaker 2: Great stuff, great stuff, to be sure, Brad, thanks a lot for coming by. Congratulations on the new position, and we'll look forward to seeing you out in Goodyear real soon.
Speaker 4: Thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: That is new assistant pitching coach Brad Goldberg, but certainly not new to the major league staff, as again, he was the bullpen coach for a Major League Baseball's best bullpen a year ago, and what a job he did. And man, they juggled a lot of workload and they're trying to manage that here this spring. With the likes of Emmanuel class A, Kate Smith, Hunter Gaddis, and Tim Herron all appearing in more than seventy games, there flow will be shortened here this spring to get them ready for the season, but also make sure that they're in it for the long haul and for Brad Goldbergen a chance to make an impact in the dugout as the new assistant pitching coach. Stay with us when we come back, we'll hear from Guardian centerfielder Lane Thomas. That's next time, Cleveland Clinic, Guardians Radio Network. Thomas digs in hole for two. But he's been one of the hottest titters for the Guardians for a month. Here's the pitch to him.
Speaker 7: He swings and.
Speaker 2: Drives it high in the air left field.
Speaker 1: Will it make the bleachers grandid.
Speaker 8: Blame?
Speaker 1: Thomas has put the Guardians in front with a grand saund five to one Cleveland.
Speaker 2: And this place is shaking. Welcome back to Guardian's Weekly Jim rosen House back with you in Goodyear, Arizona at Guardians spring training. The weather's been perfect. The players have had no issues with weather in terms of getting their work in and as it was a year ago, camp running very smoothly. A lot of good work getting done and one of those who's working on his defense, which really was very good last year after they acquired him in a trade from Washington is Lane Thomas, who is going to work hard to become even a better center fielder than he has been. And that's the Key's going to play center field most of the time, it looks like. And he had a chance to visit with him a couple of days ago, and he talked about that work as well as being in his first major league camp with Cleveland. Remember now he was acquired via trade last year, so he has never had a spring training in Arizona. Then he said that there's some adjustments there, but it's great to see the teammates that he became very close with in a quick period of time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's been awesome.
Speaker 9: I think, you know, just trying to get familiar with the surroundings and you know, I was like coming in a little bit early, especially in a situation like this or haven't been to a complex and just getting a feel for it before we actually start.
Speaker 6: You know, full on go.
Speaker 7: But I know, this hallway is pretty cool.
Speaker 9: You can really see how successful of an organization this is with all the you know, stuff they've got posted on these walls.
Speaker 2: We're standing in front of the club records and you see names like Bob Feller and Herb Score and all kinds of great players.
Speaker 6: I believe your.
Speaker 2: First spring training in Arizona after I'm mostly in Florida, have you noticed much difference yet?
Speaker 9: I like the weather a little bit better, you know, I like those cool mornings.
Speaker 2: And the travel. You'll notice that once the games begin, it's a lot better. Going back to last year, you had a playoff series to remember for any player, and once everything was all said and done, when you look back on that, what was that experience like for you being able to come through in such key spots.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was pretty special.
Speaker 9: I think, you know, this group I think was really prepared for those situations, and I think that showed in that first series.
Speaker 7: I think, you know, I think we might have.
Speaker 9: Done some things differently in that next series, but you know, you can't look back and regret anything. I think we're just trying to, you know, move forward and build off of the stuff that we thought we didn't do as well. You know for this year.
Speaker 2: Is there much communication among teammates in the off season about that and trying to take that next step for this season?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I think, you know, we touch base every once in a while. I think that's really a time to hang out with family. But we definitely touch base, you know, a couple of times a month. But yeah, I think that's important when you get here to talk about and just kind of see how how we're gonna go about this camp. I think that's been a big point from voter is just like, you know, remember and be proud of, you know, what we accomplished last year. But you know, at the end of the day, that's not the that's not the end goal. You know, we want to win seven more games or whatever the number is.
Speaker 2: You know, when you look at things personally, what do you work on in an off season at this stage of your career to try and maybe take even a bigger step forward for this season.
Speaker 9: I think there's always stuff that you know shows up, that's there something that you know you didn't do as well. I think that's where the analytics stuff kind of helps now, is you know maybe that they have something for you that you wouldn't even have thought about. But for me, I just you know, trying to be more consistent, you know, maybe defensively and offensively, kind of worked on centerfield a lot, just trying to prepare for you know, a little more ground to cover.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned that how do you do that in an off season where maybe you don't have the access that you do once you get out here to spring train.
Speaker 6: I think just working on the routes going both ways.
Speaker 9: You know, I played right field the last few years, so like you have kind of a small amount of grass to cover to your left and a bigger one to your right. And when I was in d c our center fielder, I think he was probably I think.
Speaker 7: You almost want a gold glove.
Speaker 9: So I kind of was like, hey, you're you're catching everything to my right, so I don't even you know, it's like, can't you know, just getting back in that mindset of being aggressive and you know, going both ways.
Speaker 2: Nice to know that going into a season that hey, you know that they want me to work on centerfield and I can focus on that going in.
Speaker 9: Yeah, for sure, I think, uh, it's it's uh, you don't have to worry about, you know, more than more than one thing. I think I'll definitely probably get some arts and right or left or whatever they want, but you know what, for now, I just want to work on that.
Speaker 2: Everybody has different setups in the winter time, you have an opportunity to go over to the University of Tennessee for your workouts. What makes that's area in Knoxville special for you?
Speaker 9: You know, I guess you're just growing up there. You know, the people, the and the you know, that's a good question. I don't really know the answer to it, but you know, it's just home. You know, it's I go back and relax. It's a little bit slower paced than most places.
Speaker 6: So I like that about it.
Speaker 2: Early stages of spring training as much as anything else. Just seeing the guys again, especially this group would seems so tight knit by the end of the year.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 9: It just cool to hang out and get get getting those you know, funny card games and hang out and just get back in the swing of things.
Speaker 6: Thanks.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, absolutely, thank you.
Speaker 2: And a center fielder Lane Thomas, and man, what a postseason he had for the Guardians, especially in that series against the Tigers in the American League Division Series. Also in camp and ready to go, trying to earn a spot, perhaps a starting spot at a different position than a year ago. Last year's opening day center fielder Tyler Freeman, first time he had ever played the outfield, was last spring, and he did very well well enough to win the job and be the opening day center fielder. This year, though, he sees more of a utility role and perhaps a chance to be the starting second basement on opening day with that job wide open heading into camp, and when we caught up with Tyler a couple of days ago, he talked about how important it is from a versatility standpoint for him and also the team.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean the way like that is, we also have one goal and that's a win the World Series, and whatever they want me to do, I'm willing to do it open arms. But yeah, like you said, this offseason, kind of working everything outfield and field, learning from guys that I worked with out there.
Speaker 7: It's trying to improve my game anyway possible.
Speaker 2: And you had the injury issue at the end of last season, but how quickly were you able to get pass that and really get to work on on what you need?
Speaker 8: Honestly, Like I would say, December is when I kind of started feeling one hundred percent.
Speaker 7: It kind of took a little bit.
Speaker 8: I was lightly doing stuff in the beginning, but then got more into it in December kind of like just more reps, more more intensity stuff. But I would say, like, yeah, December is kind of when it fully went away.
Speaker 2: And for someone like you, obviously there's an opening at second base and you probably figured that out. You know at a certain point in the off season when a trade is made. How much does that alter what you do in terms of prep and and trying to be ready to contend for a spot.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's it's definitely something that you know, it's just part of baseball. It's part of the business. We saw when him he got traded. Second base definitely opened up. So photo told us that that job's open and whoever whatever's gonna get, it's gonna get it. And would you know, just gonna keep working hard and if it is, if it is second grade, if not, I'll keep finding ways to help the team win.
Speaker 2: Obviously, when you're coming up through the minor leagues, you were infielder by trade. But now the amount of gloves you must have and things like that. Is it kind of fun though? And then do you embrace that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Oh absolutely, It's brought out a whole new game for me. I enjoy I enjoy challenges as much as possible, and starting with the center field last year, I enjoyed every second of it and still enjoy it. Might might enjoy it actually little bit more in the infield now, but you know, it's that's part of my game.
Speaker 7: My game is a utility role. I'm just going to keep bouncing around helping the team win anyway.
Speaker 2: And you have a good buddy, David Frye, who epitomizes the same thing, being versatile and all that. Do you guys talk about that and what it takes to be successful without a maybe a regular position.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean me and David were kind of in the same role.
Speaker 7: And I want to say it was twenty three.
Speaker 8: You know, we weren't getting lots of opportunities, and we're just like, hey, how can we do this? Like what what can we do to help get on the field. And I remember sitting down with him in the locker room. He's like, Hey, let's just got to keep up expanding where we play, keep when opportunities happen, just try to make the best out of it.
Speaker 7: And I give a lot of credit.
Speaker 6: To David for that.
Speaker 2: Obviously, so much of the game is individual. But you were part of a really good team a year ago, and what did you learned last year about what it takes to be part of a good team and how that can help you this year.
Speaker 7: Man, you just got to be a great teammate. Number one.
Speaker 8: Got to be willing to sacrifice anything that they that they ask you to do, and you know, whether it be playing a different position or you know, maybe sacrificing at bats or whatever.
Speaker 7: I just staying ready during the games.
Speaker 8: Like just examples like that that our group last year did all of that, no matter who it was.
Speaker 7: I think Vote said it was about.
Speaker 8: Fifty guys last year that was on that big league roster, and it took every single one of those guys.
Speaker 7: To make the to make or do whatever we did last year as a team.
Speaker 2: So it's early yet, but you're back with the teammateson or some new ones. What are you seeing in here that has you excited about what could be again, especially based on a year.
Speaker 8: You know every year our pitching is nasty, and just seeing faces like how we missed last year, like Beabes, who's gonna be healthy halfway.
Speaker 7: Through the year or whenever he's ready.
Speaker 8: We have guys to just signed, like John Means and and Junas and all these other guys, like they're they're here and they're ready to win too, and and they're they're here to to create that culture just like we always have.
Speaker 2: Uh, you mentioned teammates off season, you got married, big day for you and and what was that like having some of your teammates at their reception and the wedding and things like that.
Speaker 8: Oh, it's great, you know they having them there was just awesome. You know, they not only their friends or my brothers and going up through the minor league system with them or or whatever that may be. Just having them there at that on my special day and our special day.
Speaker 7: Actually, this is just kind of icing on the cake. Just we're brotherhood.
Speaker 2: That is utility man Tyler Freeman trying to earn a spot somewhere on this ball club, either as a utility man or perhaps the starting second basement. That certainly is an option for him as he gets deeper into camp. With the games beginning a little bit later today, stay with us. When we get back, we will have our final segment. We'll hear from starting pitcher Ben Lively. That's next time at Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network. Perdomo hits the first ball wide a third, diving to his left Freeman has it.
Speaker 7: Kids up throws them out.
Speaker 1: What a play by Tyler Freeman. If he doesn't dive towards second and get that ball, it's an infield.
Speaker 10: Hit drivers to switch and save with Progressive could save hundreds with that kind of money. You can't go big time and switch to the expensive.
Speaker 4: Shampoo with amino acids.
Speaker 10: Sure you don't know what those are why you need them, but it sounds very impressive. And if you switch and safe hundreds, you can massage it into your scalp every day. Now, if only you can get people that lean toward your head to smell those aninos. Switch to Progressive and you could save big time for shampoo. Progressive casual tea churns company affiliates not available in all states. Potential savings will vary.
Speaker 2: Him rosenhow's back with you from Goodyear, Arizona and Guardians Spring training. It's Guardians Weekly. Great to have you with us, says Our shows will eliminate from here in Goodyear for the next month and a half as the team gets ready for a new season trying to defend that American League's Central Division title that they won a year ago, and they'll need plenty of starting pitching. We saw it a year ago, and one of the big surprises last year betteran right hander Ben Lively, a thirteen game winner a season ago, blew away any of his prior career bests in terms of major league numbers, be it wins, innings, pitch starts, er, strikeouts, all of it. He had a great year for the Guardians, especially when they needed it most. And we had a chance to visit with Ben, and we'll get to some good stuff about what he likes to do in the offseason, but he said he was especially proud of how things came together last season.
Speaker 11: I mean, I always pushed myself to be that kind of guy, and you know, when things just clicked together, it just makes it fun and cool endings.
Speaker 2: And when you look back on it, it seemed like right out of the shoot you were ready to go, even though you had a setback in the spring, I know, healthwise, But when did you start to have that confidence that, hey, what you're doing is work.
Speaker 11: I mean, honestly, after that, like the first two games against Boss and I was just like fired up, and I was like, Okay, like these pitches feel great, Let's just keep going, and kind of just kept digging and kept my head down and just focused.
Speaker 2: Was there anything you were doing differently last year that maybe you weren't doing earlier in your career or was it just having that opportunity to see what worked?
Speaker 11: I mean, I think a little mix of both, because I mean, obviously I was messing with some new pitches. I used my change up more than I ever have in my career last year, and thanks for just mixing well. And I was working hard and keeping my body ready to be on the field.
Speaker 2: Along those lines, a lot of work last year. How long did it take you to recover and get back into the swing of things in the off season?
Speaker 6: I mean it was good.
Speaker 11: It took about a full month off in the hunting woods and still walked around and stretched a little bit. But when I started throwing, you know, typical storiness and everything felt fine. And already feels like kind of close back to normal.
Speaker 2: All right, No, not the important stuff. Surfing good. Did you say you were on a magazine cover for it?
Speaker 11: Yeah, my buddy took a picture and it ended up on surf line dot com.
Speaker 6: And it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Well, and tell us about the surfing Pensacola. What makes it good. What's a good wave for you? And then all that kind of.
Speaker 11: Stuff hurricanes and cold friends and a good north wind hurricanes.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, we're out there.
Speaker 11: Even when I was a little kid, I remember got I got in trouble by the truancy officer one time to give its cool.
Speaker 2: It's pretty funny because there was a hurricane and he went surfing ricane.
Speaker 11: Well mo, yeah, I was in the parking lot of the pier and he rolled by and yelled at us to go back to school.
Speaker 6: And it's pretty funny.
Speaker 11: But yeah, this is all me and my buddies do when I'm back home. It's just that keeps me going, keeps me in shape, keeps everything loose, and just fun thing to do.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned that I think probably alternative training is a great thing for anybody to do in this game. What does surfing do for you from a baseball standpoint?
Speaker 11: Gets my shoulder loosened up, like I feel like, I like, get real long and everything's loose. I mean, some say the best you have for pitchers of swimming, and that's just on our prom position on a board. And I just pinched my shoulders back even when I'm not even like catching waves. I'm just like holding my posture and kind of doing my arm care when I'm out there surfing.
Speaker 2: Unique, but I'm sure fun.
Speaker 6: Oh absolutely, and just out there.
Speaker 11: Next thing you know, you're out there for three hours, you're tired, and you're ready to go to bed.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 2: How's Captain Eddie doing on the fishing boat and is that still rolling along? And do you still help him out in the winter time?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, whatever he needs, But yeah, he's digging.
Speaker 11: He's I think he's already got a full summer book to snaper season, and just like us, it's spring training for him, getting the boat ready and about to get after it.
Speaker 2: So winter times in the Pensacola area. You came out here early mid January and you missed a momentous event back home. Tell us about that.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I was out here for about three or four days.
Speaker 11: And the next thing I know, I looked on the radar and nice little purple and pink blob coming from Mississippi and Louisiana, and I'm like, no way. And I get a call from my girlfriend and ten inches of snow in the backyard and on the beach.
Speaker 6: I couldn't believe it's pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: And snow days for school was never a thing when you were growing up in pennscul.
Speaker 11: To be fair, snow day does count when it's too cold and people are scared of driver of the bridge. So not like the Cleveland area, No, not for sure, but that was definitely the first real snow day.
Speaker 2: So you get out here in mid January. How you feeling as you head ended this season, especially coming off a year like he had a year ago.
Speaker 11: Honestly, like the same mindsets what voter keeps talking about, like last.
Speaker 6: Year's ceiling was this year's floor.
Speaker 11: Like I'm just thinking, well, we built on what I built on and just like kind of just having that same drive.
Speaker 2: And the team. It takes a usually a little bit to jel what about this club though they seem pretty tight at the end of last year, and it seems the same walking in here again.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, I mean there's a a lot of the same guys back and the new guys I.
Speaker 6: Get here always asks like what are you all like?
Speaker 11: And they see it right away like we're all messing with each other and laid back and everyone just cares. It's like we mess around, have fun, but like we're still gonna push you to do the right like if you do something wrong, you're gonna hear about it from everybody.
Speaker 2: Well, I know you're a big part of the fun and Ben always good to see it.
Speaker 6: Thanks absolutely nice you.
Speaker 2: That is veteran pitcher Ben Lively battling for another spot in the starting rotation. Will be some competition, a lot of good starting pitching in camp, and some of that due to some health that has turned and for the better, and also some veterans who have been signed so Lively certainly in the mix to be a key part of that rotation once again. Games start today as we wind things down on our show today, the Cactus League schedule begins for the Guardians with the game against the Reds this afternoon, a three oh five first pitch, and we'll have it for you right here on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network. Another radio game tomorrow, the Angels come to Goodyear. That'll be a home game for Cleveland. Today's at technically a road game even though they play it here as the Reds will be the home team today. But tomorrow the home opener for the Guardians here at Goodyear Ballpark, they will take on the Angels another three oh five first pitch, and once again we'll have that for you right here on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network. Don't forget. You can hear our show, Guardians Weekly each week on our flagship station WTAM in Cleveland at seven am on Saturday mornings, same for WMAN in Mansfield and WMRN in Marion. In Youngstown it airs at eleven am on Saturdays on WKBN, And of course you can hear it whenever you like in podcast form wherever you like to download your favorite podcasts. As always, thanks go out to Brian Motze. Great Dad Mott's back for another season. Is as big a part of this broadcast throughout the year as anybody. And until next week, why't we join you with another edition of Guardians Weekly. This is Jim rosen House reminding you that you are listening to the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Guardians Weekly. Has it been brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance