Speaker 1: Well, you can say what a difference of week makes. Last week we were talking about the portal Nil Dabbo. I think we took the high road on this show, as we always do, and tried to be nuanced, and I'm glad we did because it came on back and just said all sorts of acc records in a huge win against a very good app State team. And Don Munson was on the call for that game for the Clemson Athletic Network. Dapper Don, welcome back to the show, my friend.
Speaker 2: Big Cat fruit loops that you are good glad to see our the Tigers play like they did on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was too for these Clemson faithful out there that obviously, look, it's been a tough couple of years based on what the standard has been prior to that. But let's just rewind a minute here. There was so much conversation about this program nationally, and this is why you always got to listen local, because you know guys like yourself. I would like to think myself my mates over there at the English Tiger Tailgate show, Mark and Daja and and Rich and the whole crew, we have a better sense of what's going on with that program than just about anybody. And I just told people last week, let's give it a couple weeks, let's see how these young receivers look. And my goodness, right out of the gate, mister west coo gone, how about that start?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I be really honest with you, After being at practice most of the week, I kind of thought that was a play they were going to open up with. To be honest with you, I think that you could tell that throughout the week just watching things offensively, they felt like they that they're at the wide receiver, especially the young kids, had a little bit of an advantage over what that state was going to show in the defensive secondary. Well, that proved out to be that to be pretty true. So you know, I hate to see my alma mater getting beat down like that, but it was a beatdown, and it was you know, they collected their check and went about. They went right back up their merry way, right back up to twenty one and back to boon.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you know, and that's going to happen, you know. Clemson sixty six twenty was the final I was watching. I didn't stay for the game down, but by the time I got home it was about third quarter in. It was great to see so many of the backups get in there and get some great reps. I think Dabbo even talked about it, but kay Klubnick looked. There was a lot of conversation after that Georgia game how he would respond, and I thought he stood up handled it like a man. In the media all week. He had got in front of his teammates reportedly after that Georgia game and said, you know, I'm not going to quit on you, guys, don't quit on me, paraphrasing there of course, and he just came out of the gate and was so crisp and accurate. Again, I know the level of competition is different when you're playing Georgia, but good for Clubnick, right because it's a confidence boost for him and the defense and everybody on that team to see your leader at quarterback putting dimes out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, you know, after the Georgia game, I was down there in the locker room that had to coach finish. That's when Cade, you know, got up and stood forward amongst the offensive group. The offensive indefensive groups always split up after coach talks, and it was pretty impressive to see the young man, you know, stand up there and do that. And I think that was it was important for him to do that, be honest with because he is he's he's he's the face of the program. Uh, and you know he you know, basically saying he said, does I'm not quitting on you. I don't expect you to quit on me. Now. What I would also say is that I think that to see the young wide receivers, uh, particularly Westco. Now Moore had some some good myths, but in particularly you know, what what Westco did was it gave it gave juice to everybody. I think it throughout practice, you knew that it was going to happen, that this was this was the decision that was going to be made, and they were going to start the young man, and it woke up everybody. And I think it was good. I think it was good for the wide receiver room, it was good for the offense, and and certainly it seemed Kaye. I think that was a it was a real growing moment for him. And then for him to do what he did. You know, there hasn't been a college quarterback that's done that in the game in twenty five years and I'm you. I mean, there's been some pretty good college quarterbacks in the last twenty five years, but nobody, nobody has had, you know, a half like what he had.
Speaker 1: No, it was crazy. I was listening to your call on the way back to Boiling Springs after the tailgate show that we did down there, and I was I just was in awe of the amount of production and just the fact that they were able to pour it on again against that program that has always been highly competitive out of the sun Belt there app State, as you know, and you know now you look forward to a bye week. I think it all comes together now for this program, at least the short term. You know how it is. It's a week to week proposition. But I think it's a huge confidence booster and the status of the ACC right now. Man, it's an expanded conference. Of course, you've got so many newcomers to this ACC landscape. But isn't the goal obviously to win the conference. It's so Dabo talks about, right, there's all sorts of goals. They still have that plane in their site very early in this season.
Speaker 2: Well, no doubt, you know, if Compston wins the Atlantic Coast Conference, seem the wins the championship that you know, not only they in the playoffs, they're one of the one of the four buys. Yeah as well. You know, I think people forget that they Okay, well they win, they you know, they're gonna be an like the eight seeds. No, they're gonna be one of the They're gonna be one of the top four seeds and have a buy. Uh you know, from from that standpoint, so yeah, it's it's big. But I think the other thing is is that you know, Clemson knows they have their back to the wall. They I don't know that they can have another hiccup along the way. To be perfectly honest with you, they they probably need to need to win out to, you know, to really secure things. But we'll see. I mean, I can I guess see. Maybe they go something in one inside the league and they would that that would probably put them in in a championship game scenario. But who is that one too? You got to make sure that that one is not a matchup that you would lose a tiebreaker and keep you out of the the ACC championship game.
Speaker 1: I was impressed with the crowd, don and again we got a lot of Clemson fans that listen. We got a lot of Gamecock fans that listen, but we give them equal time. I thought the crowd was exceptional. We saw it during the Tiger Tailgate show brought to you by Engles throughout that three hour wind though I was there earlier than that, and I just thought between the APP State contingent that showed up and good on them too because they travel well and Clemson, it was a very it felt like a late season environment in that stadium to me, and you could see the fans were trying to rally around this young team with a lot of pieces that have been scrutinized and say, hey, we got you back.
Speaker 2: Well, I think what happened with the crowd, and you kind of know this is that you know, I got on campus around four o'clock, and you know, I'm walking from my car and into my office and then doing some other things there outside of the football stadium, and you could there was there was a there was a little sense of Okay, what's about to happen? What is going to happen? Because there was there was a ton of respect for APP and what they have done in years past in situations just like that and so, but then to see the third play offensively bang, and then they come back quick strike again and before anybody knew it, it was twenty one to nothing and the place is on fire, and they just kept going. Then then all of a sudden it grew to forty two to nothing, and that you know, by the time that it was twenty eight and I think the party was on. By the time they go to the forty two to nothing, it was like Woodstock. I mean, it was out of control. And so you know, he got to play a lot of people and it was a good time.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was silid, and it's still reverberating today. Now, now the question, yes, we have the open week, So now what happens and the pressure becomes can you do it again? You know, I don't. I'm not saying can you go and score you know, sixty six points on somebody?
Speaker 1: Oh sure, can you do it again?
Speaker 2: You better come back and play well against since State and then guess what, this your your home after that again, you better come back and do it well against Stanford the next two games. I think you are really really big for this football program. They can if they can pull off a month of September going three and one. Then I think they do head into October and back to back road games in really good fashion.
Speaker 1: Noon kickoff coming up on the twenty first. That's their next opponent at home in the Valley against Sinca State. An important game and they've got some explosive players there, but they took a tough one on the chin there in Charlotte this weekend. It's gonna be a great matchup. Don Munson will be on the call for that one in all the games this entire season with our good friend Tim Murray and Reggie Mirrweather. Don, it's always great to catch up. I'm glad we can do this in a more formal setting. We got to give you the Don line. I'm gonna call it. The Don line is secondary number. You can always reach it. It's like the bat signal.
Speaker 2: Give me the batphone. I like that. That's it.
Speaker 1: Good all right, Don, Great, great work this weekend.
Speaker 2: Hey boys, Go Tigers.