Speaker 1: Breaking news, and this one is almost unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all about new customers at bet three sixty five because they get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets when they bet five dollars, and even better, bonus bets can be used on the spread totals and player props.
Speaker 3: There you have it.
Speaker 1: Bet five dollars to get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets and see why it's never ordinary. At bet Basis five gambling problem call one hundred. Gambler twenty one plus only must be physically located in Virginia. Terms and conditions applying.
Speaker 4: Time for coffee and company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 5: Nine day, Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are. Get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 6: The kids are playing or turn off one hundred cultures.
Speaker 5: Are screwing it off.
Speaker 6: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 4: They're supposed to be mature adulls, but they're really not.
Speaker 5: Who's the kid here, who's the kid here?
Speaker 7: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 4: Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 3: All right, let's get after it, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Welcome in to a Thursday edition of Coffee and Company, Philbeth Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee, That is me. That's the voice you're hearing right now. You'll hear many voices throughout the show today. I assume we got a couple of guys going to join us, and you guys may join in.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: It's Coffee and Company, meaning you guys are part of the company, and you know you need to kick back, relax, make yourself.
Speaker 8: At home, and you can you can be a part.
Speaker 3: Of this, this great party that we have every day from three to six. The other voice you'll hear throughout the show is the one and only Austin Montgomery.
Speaker 5: What's up?
Speaker 3: How we feeling you've been You've been in the saddle. This is your fourth straight day producing this show, and of course there'll be many more to come.
Speaker 8: God willing. Yeah. Are you feeling good?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I feel great. Listen, we're on the air. That's all the matters. You're talking, Well, I'm talking. It's not all that matters. But it's the first step. Well, yeah, it's step one. Alright, Well, I guess too for be here for a long term. Yes, it's really big, but no, I feel really good. It's always fun being the producer and kind of co piloting, right, that's kind of what you want to call it, just kind of just getting the show off the ground. It makes me feel a little bit more important.
Speaker 3: Well, you've produced this show many times over the years. You've also produced in the mornings for me when I was on a different shift. Yeah, but I feel like you, you know, because you're kind of just the guy we go to when needed, at least you have been previously. It kind of was tough for you to maybe find your groove, you know what I'm saying. And I think each day that passes, we're getting more and more in sync and we'n now, Yeah, we're having some fun.
Speaker 8: So let's let's keep that rolling.
Speaker 9: How are you feeling.
Speaker 8: I'm good.
Speaker 3: I'm in football mode and I want to I'm going to clarify, so allow me to explain. It's just now hit me that, you know what, it's been a while since I watched this Louisville football team play, and they're coming off of a monster win, and they could win by fifty and I'd love watching every second of it on Saturday they take on Stanford. But you know, I'm not a whole lot on the line here. You got a lot to lose, very little to game. But Clemson, that win was such a big one for the obvious reason, you've never beaten Clemson before. They hadn't lost a home game on a Saturday night in a decade, so actually over a decade, So you know, that's why it felt great for the most part. But another part for me, and I'm sure I'm not alone here, is that that breakthrough win not for the program who'd never beaten Clemson, but for this team in this season. It was a breakthrough in two ways. Again because it was the first time ever. But the secondary breakthrough was the fact that this team, I feel like all year they'd make some real boneheaded mistakes that you'd ask yourself, what the hell's going on here?
Speaker 8: How'd that happened?
Speaker 3: How can you expect to beat Miami and Notre Dame and even SMU when you're making these kind of mistakes. But yet, if you watched enough, you probably were convinced that you know, this team is capable of being good, Like I think we've got some good pieces here. So the win against Clemson. Really, you know, it can all be gone with a big upset if you lose on Saturday, which I don't think it's going to happen. But the way everything is played out in the last couple of weeks, it really was perfect in regards to timing. With Louisville getting the big win then getting the week off, it let you really shift gears to basketball, and that was awesome. But now they have a ten day break after that pretty, you know, underwhelming loss to Tennessee. And I'm not in any way like thinking we were foolish to get as excited as we were about Louisville basketball in year one of the pack Kelsey year, and none of us have ever had any real clue as far as how it's going to play out. But I was asked yesterday by somebody if I think that because I was actually at Roosters last night for a little birthday dinner and with family, and I ran into somebody, just an acquaintance, and he said, are you worried that because there was so much excitement, the big game feel, the big game energy was there against Tennessee and it was such a letdown that it's going to be harder and take a little more time to get people to kind of, you know, come back because they don't want to be disappointed again. And I thought to myself, that's a really good question. I don't think that's a crazy way of looking at it. I choose to believe that that won't be an issue because as much as it was a real disappointment to see Louisville in their first big Test struggle as badly as they did. However, again, I think we're all numb to losing now. The energy that you had, like there was no letdown until the Tennessee game since Pat Kelsey got hired. What I mean is really every step of the way, the guy has executed and done exactly what he needed to do to get people excited. And there it was the moment and Tennessee came to town. You had a chance to get a big marquee win, and you didn't get the win, and at times it looked like you didn't belong on the same floor. So it is, you know, it was a wake up call. But when I say that I'm numb to it, it's not like who cares world going to lose the rest of the season and I'll just be used to it because we've been losing for the last few years.
Speaker 8: I'm just stating that.
Speaker 3: And he brought up the fact that I keep saying I'm numb to losing, and maybe I need to to clarify more so what I mean by that. It's not like I just think, well, hey, who cares, We're gonna always suck.
Speaker 8: I'm used to losing.
Speaker 3: What I mean though, is like the you know, all of the good that happened from the day he got hired until that that lost to Tennessee, that was still valuable, it was still worse something. Now you can't live on that forever, right, you got to go win. And I'm hoping that they're going to do that. None of us really know if it's going to happen or not, or as far as what level they do win at, but I hope that just because it was it was such a high, and man, it's like you're it's like you're coming down off of you know, a solid gummy or you know, you get a little you get a little day drunk, and you know you're in that you're in that spot where it's like, all right, do I lay down, do I sit down. Do I kind of just do I just chill or do I keep going? Because I got to make a decision. Either I'm going to I'm going to ride what little buzz I have left and make it a memorable evening responsibly, of course, or I'm just gonna say, you know what, that was my fun. Now it's time to just kind of settle down and start maybe chugging some water, maybe pop some ibuprofen, maybe get a little something to eat, and kind of just try to you know, speed up the process of you know, being hungover or losing your buzz i encourage people to.
Speaker 8: Keep fighting.
Speaker 3: And maybe that's not the right way to word it, but like, no, like let's still be very excited and enthusiastic about this new era. Now, maybe we get to early January and we learned that the Tennessee result was not an isolated incident and that it was something that maybe is happening not regularly. But look, they some really good teams. And here's what scares me a little bit. There's nothing you can do about it. And I'm gonna choose to be positive until I've been given multiple examples of how Louisville simply can't compete with really good teams. But there's a scenario where Tennessee's maybe like the fourth fifth best team you play before January first. I don't want that to be the case. I hope that it's not, but that doesn't worry me a little bit. So you know, when I say I'm in football mode, it's not like I'm saying the hell with basketball.
Speaker 8: But you had to buy week.
Speaker 3: You've got some momentum for the first time really this season, right, I mean Clemson. That win was huge, and before that, you didn't really have a win we're speaking of. And you didn't just beat Clemson, you beat them down. You embarrass them. I'm sure their parents were ashamed of them meeting, you know, the Clemson players and whatnot. So you know, they got Bellerman, they got Winthrop. Those are the two games they're gonna play before they take off of the Bahamas, and I'm gonna you know, we'll have postgame shows, will give you, I mean basketball seasons here.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: The ten day break is a little unusual for this time of year. But like I can't fake to you that I am looking at Bellerman on the schedule and I'm looking at Winthrop on the schedule, and I'm thinking, man, here we go because we got spoiled early that Tennessee game and the lead up to it, the vibes, the energy, I mean, it was the first time I could feel it for a couple of days leading up where you know, I mean, if you're a Louisville basketball fan, you know, right when there's a big game and there's a lot on the line and you feel good about your team and you know that the Young Sinner is going to be packed, which it was, I mean, that's awesome, and then you're there and it's about to tip off, and man, the energy is great, and then it was just such a letdown. So I want to start the show today by letting like just encouraging people, like, you know, not just I don't want to tell you just forget about it, because it's the only real test you've had and you didn't come close to passing, and that's certainly a bummer. But until we see multiple like, we haven't seen how this team responds to any type of adversity at all. And honestly, they've never experienced any level of adversity since they all got here, So really, that ten day break is going to be pretty huge for them to kind of, you know, be in a they're in a different place than they've ever been together, and how they kind of navigate that I think will be important for how this season plays out. Now, again, that doesn't mean that they come out and beat Bellerman and Winthrop by sixty then things are great, because the ultimate test is the next test is ultimately going to be when you go to the Bahamas.
Speaker 8: So anyways, I just.
Speaker 3: Wanted to use the platform here to to try to keep people positive despite what happened. And I'll be honest with you, some people won't say it, some people know it, won't admit it.
Speaker 7: It's just the truth, breaking news.
Speaker 1: And this one is almost unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all about new customers at bet three sixty five because they get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets when they bet five dollars, and even better, bonus bets can be used on the spread totals and player props.
Speaker 1: There you have it. Bet five dollars to get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets and see why it's never ordinary. At bet boo sixty five, the gambling problem call one in one hundred. Gambler Us only must be physically located in Virginia. Terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 6: Black Friday is coming, and for the adults in your life who love the coolest toys, well there's something for them this year too. Bartisian is the premiere craft cocktail maker that automatically makes more than sixty seasonal and classic cocktails each in under thirty seconds at the push of a button. And right now, Bartisian is having a huge sight wide sale. You can get one hundred dollars off any cocktail maker or cocktail maker.
Speaker 5: Bundle when you spend four hundred dollars or more.
Speaker 6: So, if the cocktail lover in your life has been good this year or the right kind of bad, get them Bartesian at the push of a button, make Bark quality Cosmopolitans, Martini's, Manhattan's, and more, all in just thirty seconds, all for a hundred off. Amazing toys aren't just for kids. Get a hundred off a cocktail maker when you spend four hundred Through Cyber Monday, visit Bartsian dot com slash cocktail that's pa r T s I a n dot com slash cocktail.
Speaker 3: Kentucky beating Duke made you feel worse about Louisville losing to Tennessee. People can act like, what does that help to do with anything? Hmmm, I can't why you know what I'm talking about, Like maybe you don't care as much as others, but like it does to see that they were able to pass what was viewed as it even bigger test and they won and they got it done. They've got a lot of momentum. You know, I'm not saying you have to, and I know people don't every day wake up and dictate how they feel about their team based off the rival, but to act like it didn't matter, like it does to a lot of people. Maybe not everybody, but it does. So they're back in action next week against Bellerman and man, I feel bad for Scotty D. They're off to a really rough start and last night it's pretty tough. Yeah, they were up double digits late. In fact, I think they might have been up nearly twenty points, and then Southern Indiana, a team who was winless, got him in the very end. And you know, I don't want to I don't know a whole lot about you know, the a Sun, and I mean I still keep up with it to an extent when it comes to lower level Division in basketball, mid majors and even below that. But I'll tell you this, man, the last few years, that level of basketball has been harder to keep up than anything because they actually have way more moving parts than any of the other programs in college shoops. So I looked at Scotti's roster yesterday just because I was trying to, you know, it was going to potentially bet on the game. I did not, and you know, just because I'm not super familiar with the personnel on his team, and just because there's not anybody that's there with a really great stat line from their previous school or even at Bellerman, doesn't mean that they can't potentially be good. But you know, I don't know if he'd say it, because he's such a positive person and he'll clearly maximize whatever he can with whatever team he has. But you know, Bellerman's starting to look like one of those teams as far as what I can tell. But they jumped up to Division one at a time where everything changed to where even if they do have good players that are producing at a high level, they're probably going to lose them to the portal, not all of them, but you know it's already happened. Dylan Penn, if you remember, was a guy who led them to a conference championship in their first year at the Division one level, only for the stupid decision I guess actually might have been their second year, but the stupid rule within the NC doa eight where you can't go to the tournament unless you've been within the Division one status for about I don't know, four or five years, whatever it is. But he, you know, he helped lead Bellerman to a title, couldn't play in the tournament and couldn't play in the tournament for the next two years if he stayed, so he left. So I think Louisville will bounce back in a major way against Bellerman, and I kind of, you know, it's not like I think they should take it easy on Bellerman, but like I feel like it could get really, really ugly because Bellerman right now is sitting at zero to three and they lost to VCU by twenty, lost a VMI at home by five, and then lost last night to Southern Indiana who's actually more recent to Division one than the So it'll be a good bounce back game. But also you know, I don't want him to beat down on Scotty too much because he's our guy. Yeah, you know, Bellerman's kind of our kind of our secondary team.
Speaker 9: So I mean just listen to like, I mean, just how you even approach that. It's when you said, you know, just kind of jokingly feel bad for our guys, Scotty Deeds because we now had the feeling that we're gonna come out and put a whooping on somebody, whoever it is, right after a game like that, as showing like that, and think of that feeling that's been restored. I mean, we talk about like the feeling in the YOUM Center and how everybody. Of course when we come back for Bellerman, it's not gonna be anything like how it was that Tennessee game. But this has been something that we haven't felt about Louisville basketball in such a long time. Usually like here we go, it's a losing streak or I wonder when we're gonna get it next. We feel confident in this team just because we will. I mean, we feel confident in games like this, which, yes, that doesn't work, That's what I mean, Yes, I understand that that's a step, right, it's a step from last time. It's a step from and that's that's what sucks about the conundrum that Louisville basketball has been put in the last couple of years, that now our faith is slowly being restored, Like at least we can go out and beat on this beat on this team.
Speaker 3: You're doing something that I don't like. And what you're doing is you are giving you too many moral victories so long well you're well, I don't know, I shouldn't say I don't like it, but Louisville could win by one hundred against Bellerman and Winthrop and that would be awesome to see because it would be insane.
Speaker 8: It's not realistic.
Speaker 3: But like, that wouldn't really tell me anything like that wouldn't And the one thing it would tell me is what you brought up that like should never be the standard or the bar. Well, hey, we used to potentially lose these games we've been, Yeah, but it was never gonna be whoever comes in and takes over for Kenny Payne. We're just gonna celebrate that he's better than Kenny, you know what I'm saying, Like, yes, we did potentially lose those games, or we used to potentially. In fact, we did lose development they beat him in his first year. So I know what you're doing. I know what you mean, and I and I get it. And I'm not gonna tell tell anybody who is super excited if they beat both these teams that's next on the schedule by a bunch of points, and they look good doing it, because that's what you want. But it doesn't really tell us anything as far as was Tennessee an outlier. And that's one of the things about this is just a pet peeve of mine when it comes to college football and college basketball. It's such a waste of time to play these games because you're not getting better, you're not learning anything. And last I check, that's pretty important. Now you got a stacks and wins. So at the end of the year, if you know, you're not, you know, terrible. And that's why Louisville going four and twenty eight a couple years ago is just something we'll probably never see again. Think about the teams they had to lose to that were on the schedule for them to get four wins, right, So you know, it's how it works out.
Speaker 8: But I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just I want to fast forward to Thanksgiving so I can see what Louisville does against some really good teams. But that's not how it works, and they probably need the time to get better prepared for when they are tested once again. But yeah, basketball, it's kind of taken the back. You know, they got ten days off in November when college football season is rounded out the regular season, so I'm not ignoring it, like you know, it doesn't matter anymore. But Jeff Bram and his team are back in action, and Austin's going to be doing the postgame show on Saturday evening, so we'll have.
Speaker 8: Coverage for you.
Speaker 3: Our Louisville football pregame show will start at three no two thirty. We'll start at two thirty. Kickoff is at three thirty. So it's presented by Jefferson Animal Hospital and Pillow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky. And then as soon as it ends going live for the postgame show percented about Alex R. White, Lawyer's suit distracted driver dot Com. I won't be able to be there for it, so Austin's going to be filling in and John will be alongside and I imagine it's going.
Speaker 8: To be a big victory.
Speaker 3: So I caught a little bit of coach Bram's I listened to a little bit of his press conference after the fact.
Speaker 8: I didn't hear on Monday.
Speaker 3: I was busy doing stuff, but I listened to it earlier today just to kind of, you know, get my get the football feeling back going, because I don't know why, but man, doesn't it feel like that Clemson game was two months ago?
Speaker 8: I felt forever ago.
Speaker 3: Gosh, it seems like that was so long ago. And I guess it's because we really did go from our right. Everybody's locked in on football, let's go get it done, let's beat Clemson, and then you quickly just shifted to basketball, where you're welcoming in the number twelve team in the country. So we had big moments for both programs really at the same time. Now, one resulted in a big time win that was huge, and the other resulted in kind of a reality check as far as where you are and learning lesson that Tennessee's in a lot better shape than Louisville is right now. But still the emotions that come with both those things, good or bad, Like it just I swear to you, if you'd asked me, you know, earlier today, without me giving it much thought, when the Clemson game was, I probably would have told you it was at least a month ago. And in fact it hasn't even been two weeks. Yeah, that's just how quickly crazy the season is going. Now, we'll talk some football coming up here in about ten minutes or so, we're going to talk to the one and only mister Alex Cupper, former Louisville Cardinal, get his thoughts on a variety of things. One of those is when you go on the I've always heard players say that they want the game to start as early as possible. They don't want to be sitting around in the team hotel all day. They want to just get up, get ready for get you know, get the game prep started, and get out there for like a noon kickoff. This is a little bit later. Now, we'll be early on the West Coast, but I don't I'm sure it's happened with cut before and he'll be able to tell us. But they're going to be playing on Saturday on the West Coast in what is probably the emptiest stadium that they'll play in, maybe ever in their career. And I'm serious, if you've transferred in from an FCS or you know, a G five, then maybe it's a different situation. But Stanford will have very very little turnout, and that alone is probably an advantage to if there's if there's any advantage there, it's got to be an advantage for the team who's at home and is already used to it, you know what I'm saying, Like, if you're there and you're on the road and it's a road atmosphere like it could just be kind of awkward. So I think it's important for Louisville to get off to a good start here against Stanford, and hopefully if they do that, they can then they can then cruise all right. Coming up at four oh five today, we'll talk to Kent Spencer from WHS eleven. Obviously a lot to get his thoughts on since our last conversation and look forward to doing that. If you guys want to join us on the show, you can five O two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. If you want to gives a call, You could text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line at five O two six five three zero seven ninety. So I asked yesterday, and somebody has delivered. What I asked for was some scenario where it was legitimately possible. And I don't mean like percentage chance, because this the percentage chance of this happening is like probably zero point one, but they're there. Somebody did present me with the scenario where Louisville would be playing in the ACC championship game. So I'll get to that a little bit later on, and I'm going to try my best to lay that out and not make it as confusing as it is for me when I read it, Like I'm such an idiot at times, and maybe it's a lot of times when I read it, I have to say it out loud, like wait a second, like there's so many there's a lot of moving parts. But a lot of you guys are probably smarter than me to where it'll make sense to you. But you'll probably also realize, yeah, there's no scenario all these things end up happening. But I asked yesterday if somebody can present me some type because everybody was giving you the crazy things have happened, Well, maybe there, so you're telling me there's a chance and I'm thinking, okay, well, somebody present to me.
Speaker 1: Breaking news and this one is almost unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all about new customers at bet three sixty five because they get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets when they bet five dollars, and even better, bonus bets can be used on the spread totals and player props.
Speaker 1: There you have it. Bet five dollars to get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets and see why it's never ordinary. At bet Boo sixty five. The gambling problem call one in hundred Gambler twenty one plus only must be physically located in Virginia. Terms and conditions applying.
Speaker 5: Black Friday is coming for the adults in your life.
Speaker 6: Who love the coolest toys, Well there's something for them this year too. Bartisian is the premiere craft cocktail maker that automatically makes more than sixty seasonal and classic cocktails each in under thirty seconds at the push of a button. And right now, Bartisian is having a huge sight wide sale. You can get one hundred dollars off any cocktail maker or cocktail maker bundle when you spend four hundred dollars or more so, if the cocktail lover in your life has been good this year or the right kind of bad, get them Bartesian at the push of a button, make Bark quality Cosmopolitans, Martini's, Manhattan's, and more, all in just thirty seconds, all for a hundred off. Amazing toys aren't just for kids. Get one hundred off a cocktail maker when you spend four hundred through Cyber Monday, visit Bartsian dot com slash cocktail. That's b A R T E sia n dot com slash cocktail.
Speaker 3: Even if it's a list that's a mile long of what would need to happen for Louisville to be in Charlotte, And it wasn't a mile long, but somebody did present the scenario where that could happen, So we'll certainly get to that. And I mentioned this yesterday, but I didn't really save enough time to get into it. But the Athletic every year they do it right around the time that the college football playoff rankings come out. They do a survey where I don't know where they get the one thousand college football fans from. I mean, there's a lot more than a thousand college football fans out there, but they find a thousand college football fans to fill out a survey, and I think the results in the last couple of years since they've done this are really interesting. One of them is just which network you feel like does the best job, if who on college game day, if they had to go, would you want to see get the boot? Just interesting stuff because obviously we love college football around here, and I think some of these results from the survey might surprise you. So we can certainly get into that, and I don't know if it's worth spending a ton of time on because we've kind of already done that yesterday. I think last night was like another reminder that Kentucky's winning the breakup and they're winning it by a big margin. Cal down to Troy Arkansas. When I say Cal, I think you guys know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 8: But Arkansas trailed Troy.
Speaker 3: At halftime last night, they didn't come back and win, didn't cover, and they really just haven't looked very good so far this year. They kind of look exactly like Cal's teams in the last couple of years looked at times at Kentucky, but he once again is doing his crazy person postgame press conference stuff, and I feel like he did it when he was in Lexington, especially towards the end, where he really, I think wanted to just give off the vibe that he's in his own world. He doesn't even know what anybody's saying because he doesn't care. He'll say things that he knows probably aren't what a coach should say, but he knows he can say it because it's Cal being Cal. And if you're a Kentucky fan or even a Louis of fan, you probably know what I'm talking about. Well, I think in Fayetteville he's turned that up ten notches, and I think it's because he's uncomfortable there. I think he realizes he's not at a place that is as I guess special as.
Speaker 8: Where he was.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe I'm wrong, and then Arkansas gets it rolling and they end up having a great season. But I think that the early signs are that Cal's gonna probably be the same guy that he was in Lexington that led to him kind of overstaying his welcome and fans wanting the mutual split up, which happened. I think he's going to be that same guy, but worse. Like I think the things that really led to it falling apart here to where his fans wanted to change, and it just became so stale his whole shtick. And of course when you have that stick and you're losing in the first round of bumbs, it becomes a really bad situation, very toxic, right, But I feel like he's doing it way worse there because he just doesn't like he wants Arkansas to know, like, Hey, you know, you were lucky to have me.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 3: Oh you want a press conference, Yeah, I'll send Kenny Paine's bomb ass out there. He'll talk to you guys. Oh you want me to. Oh no, sorry, we didn't practice. We had other things going on. Like he's just I found it very entertaining because he's kind of like a madman.
Speaker 8: Sounds like he's losing his mind.
Speaker 3: He does, and again he showed signs of that, and there are many examples of him doing cow stuff towards the end that really just burned up his fan base that just wanted him gone. But I think in Arkansas, like they don't really know how to handle right. This is the first thing they're getting, and they're like, Okay, I guess this is what we have to deal with. But there's another compilation of just out of context things he yelled at, yelled about during his press conference last night, and again he sounds like a mad man. He sounds sounds like he's losing his mind. Also, I think that I think you might have said it best. He's going crazy. So we're loaded the rest of the way, and I hope you guys will stick with us. I don't know why you wouldn't. I mean, we have fun every day here. Let's let's keep it rolling. It's coffee and Company Phil Beth Thornton.
Speaker 4: Now back to coffee and company. Feel my Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: That's right, coffee and company Fuelbeth Thornton's on Sports Talks seven ninety. Take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the Aheart Radio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. It's time to talk some Louisville football, so let's bring him in. He's mister Alex Cupper, former Louisville Cardinal Cup. We haven't talked since the Clemson victory is certainly a big one before we get into the matchup against Stanford.
Speaker 8: What stood out to you?
Speaker 3: I guess maybe as the biggest surprise in that game. For me, it was the defense being on the field seemingly the whole game, and that was a different defense than really what we've seen, I think throughout the entire year. But maybe something else stood out to you. Obviously a big win for the Cards.
Speaker 10: No, absolutely, and it was it was one of those keys, you know when we were talking that Friday going into that weekend, you know, what's what are we going to be talking about after this on if we're going to win? And it was I mean, the defenses has to has to step up in a major way, that's right, And they didn't. They didn't force a bunch of turnovers, but like you said, they limited and made it very very challenging for Clemson to do anything offensively. They tackled much better. It felt like their their scheme and how they had how they got lined up to defend Clemson, I mean, sideline to sideline was was was excellent. So you eliminated some of those easy throws. It felt like every time they were Klubnick was looking down the field, there was guys covered up, so he check it down and then the team would rally and make tackles. So that was I mean, much better, much, much much improved defense that you wish, you know, you could have seen in the weeks before. But you would definitely definitely take in that scenario to beat Clemson down there, for sure.
Speaker 8: I was talking about it a little bit earlier.
Speaker 3: I think the breakthrough for when you say that about the winning Clemson, for most people, it's just okay, they finally beat Clemson for the first time since being in the league, and it is a breakthrough. But I feel like it was a breakthrough as well for just this team. They've been in close games against really good teams, and I think they know their ability and fans know it. I mean, you only are really evaluated by winning and losing in the grand scheme of things, But it was just an unusual situation to where the record really didn't indicate it. But I felt like, even despite some of their mistakes and some of their miscues earlier this year, that I felt like Jeff brom had a pretty good team and to see them actually go out there put it all together. I don't know what was said at halftime in Boston, but man, since since that second half and then last or two weeks ago at Clemson, it was really it's kind of all coming together for him. As a former player, how big is it to to know that you that you've just been falling short and really a lot of it is your own doing for the most part, or some questionable calls and some reversals and that kind of stuff. But I feel like for those guys, man, you know, wishful thinking on my end, but I feel like that that result has got to put them in going in the right direction to finish the season at a really really fast pace.
Speaker 10: Yeah, there's there's typically a few moments in a season that can either you know, spark you in a major way and really just and and I can think of several in my playing days where it was like, man, we are we are? You know, it's almost like a pitcher on a no hitter. You don't want to jink, so you don't want to do anything different. You just want to keep rolling because it's everything you seem to be doing is clicking in a major way. And that's yeah, just just what you said, they've they've caught a little bit of fire here. You know this, this this weekend will be interesting because you do have that long layoff, so it's typically a bye week. Unfortunately, can kind of halter some of that. But you know, all it takes is one or two plays offensively and defensively to get those groups just re energized on like, Okay, we're we are dialed in on our game plan, We're dialed in on our technique, on what the coach is asking of us, what we're asking of each other, and this is this is going to result in winning football. We just got to trust it.
Speaker 3: They had a long break with the with the buye, which because of the new format of the playoff, now everybody's getting a couple of buys this in a season. And they're also gonna have a long trip. They're traveling across the country to take on Stanford. I'll start with this question as a former player, when you guys go on the road, is it preferable to not play at night? Is it preferable to play at noon? Just so you don't you're not sitting around the team hotel all day, You're not just buying you know, you're not just trying to fill time until you.
Speaker 8: Get to kick off.
Speaker 3: I've always heard that that when you're on the road, players and coaches would prefer just to get the game started as soon as you know they wake up and start prep But Cherie, I know you only speak for yourself, not everybody that's played college football, but I'm sure you had road trips where you guys played.
Speaker 8: Both at noon and in the evening. What was your preference?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean definitely, this is that's a different question, especially this week, because when you when you put in different time zones in there, your your earliest game is going to be, you know, at three point thirty, you know, East Coast times, so you're you're already putting it in your mind that you're not going to get home till really late the next day.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a good way of looking at it. So in their mind, I hadn't thought about it that way. Like, so they did prefer an earlier game, like it is early if they're still stand on East Coast time, right, because it'll be three to thirty three.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, So that's I mean, honestly, a West coast travel trip. This is this is the preferred way. I think we did. We had Utah at night time out there. It was a super Bowl.
Speaker 8: I forgot about that game.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I had Oregon State Charlie's first year where we I think we kicked off at like five or something, so it's eight o'clock East Coast.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 10: It was super leg getting home on that those trips, so you know, they're tough. It's it's tough to bounce back from it because you get your sleep gets all out of whack. But you know, it's that's something you can't worry about until the result. But yeah, I mean at the end of the day. Earlier, the better on the road is the general premise.
Speaker 8: This Stanford team.
Speaker 3: They they got to win against Syracuse earlier this year, which surprised me at that when that happened. I felt like Syracuse early on had shown that maybe with fran Brown, they were going to be a pretty good team this year, and they're not terrible, but Stanford knocked them off and then Stanford hasn't won game since then. The expectation is that the stadium is going to be pretty empty. Do you remember the emptiest stadium you played in on the road? Because the reason I ask is because I feel like that could be awkward. You know, you can't control it. You got to come ready to play. But it's one of those things like you can tell yourself, hey, we're gonna be out there.
Speaker 8: Just we got to do our job. But you know, the human elements, it's a powerful thing.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, And it was Rutgers in twenty ten again, Charles first year five and six going.
Speaker 8: Up against how about will Stein?
Speaker 10: Right, that's right, that's right. That was to become Bowl eligible.
Speaker 8: I remember the game.
Speaker 10: So we had a ton that we were playing for because we've been deproud of a Bowl for several years.
Speaker 2: Breaking news coming in from bet three six five. We're every nail biting overtime win, breakaway pick six, three point shot, underdog win, buzzer beater, shoot out, walk off, and absolutely every play in.
Speaker 5: Between is amazing, from.
Speaker 2: Football to basketball and high in the baseball. Whatever the moment, it's never ordinary. At bet three sixty five gambling problem call one eight hundred Gambler twenty one plus only must be physically located in Virginia.
Speaker 5: Black Friday is coming.
Speaker 6: And for the adults in your life who love the coolest toys, well.
Speaker 5: There's something for them this year too.
Speaker 6: Bartisian is the premiere craft cocktail maker that automatically makes more than sixty seasonal and classic cocktails each and under thirty seconds at the push of a button. And right now Bartisian is having a huge sight wide sale. You can get one hundred dollars off any cocktail maker or cocktail maker bundle when you spend four hundred dollars or more. So, if the cocktail lover in your life has been good this year or the right kind of bad, get them Bartisian at the push of a button, make Bark quality Cosmopolitans, Martini's, Manhattan's, and more, all in just thirty seconds, all for ae hundred off.
Speaker 5: Amazing toys are just put the kids.
Speaker 6: Get one hundred off of cocktail maker when you spend four hundred through Cyber Monday, visit.
Speaker 5: Baptisian dot com slash cocktail.
Speaker 6: That's b A R T E S I A N dot com slash cocktail.
Speaker 10: And uh yeah, records, I think it already had moved on. I think Cayl Flood came in the next year, so it was it was already you know, the toast to the season. So it was an extremely sparse crowd on Thanksgiving weekend. It was Yeah, that was that was different and very unique.
Speaker 3: I hate to say, I hate to say of it. Man, it kills me. How long ago that was. I feel like, oh, I remember that game. I remember what I was doing. I remember it was in my first apartment and Stein was starting for the cards to potentially get a ball. We hadn't had one in a long time. And I'm like, yeah, that was a few years ago, and it was not it was a long long time ago. We're getting old Cup. Where where has time gone?
Speaker 8: Now? One of the one of the new.
Speaker 3: Things here with college football this year is the expanded Playoff. Obviously, Louisville climbed up to nineteen after the latest rankings were updated on Tuesday, Still nearly impossible to envision them actually making it to the playoff. But what do you make of the expanded Playoff as far as what we've seen these first two weeks with the committee and how they're deciding to to to slot these teams. I mean, it's all gonna work itself out. We know that some of these teams that are arguing about where they belong, they're gonna some of them are gonna play each other and it's gonna be determined at that point. But I looked at it even more so yesterday. So the last couple of days just kind of looking at what the committee told us on Tuesday, I feel like this might be one of the most inconsistent ways they've gone about it. I mean, you just can't justify some of the ways they've slotted these teams.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and it gets real, real confusing when they when they throw in, you know, the automatic qualifiers for those first four slots, and then their ranking doesn't justify it.
Speaker 3: So it's yeah, don't yeah, don't, don't give us just the rankings. Just show us a bracket, because you're right, it is confusing. You see like four big ten teams in the top four and you're thinking like wait, what right?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 10: So yeah, showing and sparsean it that way, and it's trying and think of, you know, results and what would happen if if certain things happen, and it's like, man, I really don't know, you know, if if Indiana slides, how far how much further they're going to slide? And conversely, if they beat ohiose State, Really how much far are they going to go up, what's what's the benefit? You know? There, you find yourself in that situation where it's like, I mean, we're comfortable right now. All we got to do is go one on one and then we don't have to play in the Big Ten Tournament or Big Ten championship, and we find ourselves hosting the playoff game so right on. You know, So that that part is because there's so many different obviously variables and when you put twelve teams in it and results that so have to come. So it makes it for a ton of stuff to talk about and a lot of exciting football to play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it get for for those who think it's silly that they do it each week, I understand it because we all know that they don't matter and you know, do we really need an update from the committee? Not necessarily, but what it does the product that is the college football Playoff, now the expanded Playoff, when you've got more inclusion, right, there's now twelve teams that are going to get in it used to just before. It just has more and more people talking about the different scenarios and about the playoff itself, which is good for business. I mean, I know and obviously it gives us a lot to talk about, which is pretty pretty awesome for me because it's right in my wheelhouse as far as as far as far as what we do now. One thing though, that I'm not sure the conferences really gave this a whole lot of thought. Maybe they did and they were just willing to live with it. But with the conferences expanding so much over the years, you've got really four power conferences now in no divisions. It's leading to teams just simply with the luck of the draw having a really manageable schedule that is not a gift from the committee, and I guess it technically is. But like sometimes you're gonna guess what I'm asking is, do you think it would be beneficial if these leagues did go back to divisions. That way there was a little bit more consistency to where you know, hey, if we win the east or the West or the north of the South, then we find our way there. Because uh, now we're talking about tiebreaker scenarios and conferences like we never have before, and I don't think that's going anywhere.
Speaker 8: Like I think they may.
Speaker 3: Later look back and think they probably should have done divisions just to make it a little bit more you know, non controversial as far as who because there's gonna be teams that might actually be good enough to get in, but the reason they're not is just because of the schedule that their conference gave them. It's really nobody's fault and it's gonna it's gonna balance itself out.
Speaker 8: But I'm starting to think that maybe they they should go back to divisions.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, you're you're you say that in the in the foresight of having the SEC because SEC is gonna find itself in this situation every year. Oh yeah, how I mean you can call it. I mean, results do speak for themselves, but how biased the preseason rankings would be. Every single one of those early conference season wins will just bolster one team up and the other team will drop back, and then they'll just topsy turby their way around and they'll always find themselves with you know, three or four teams that are vying for one spot to challenge whoever's the leader in the clubhouse in the championship. So yeah, no, it's it would it would make it more clear cut, but the conversation would be probably more straightforward, and I don't think they're they're about that. They want they want as much I won't say chaos, but they want as much conversation about it as possible. You know, I think when when you think long long term, it's it's setting itself up to be extreme. The know a lot like the NFL football when it comes to wild cards and and guaranteed guaranteed spots. So it's I mean, it's one of those things you're you're you're following the tea leaves here. It's it's just gonna mirror itself in the end, and there there will end up being divisions. It's just what's what does the conference over they look like, and and so on and so forth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and there's really no scenario they have a four team playoff, a twelve team playoff, and eighteen team playoff and there's not people complaining about getting screwed or or it being unfair to them and the committee not liking them and they're being biased. So like, there's never a scenario there's any perfect way to do it. And I think if people just kind of viewed it from and it's hard to do that, especially if you've got a motion, an emotional investment in your team and your conference that kind of stuff. But no matter what, there's gonna be people complaining that somebody got it wrong and somebody's getting left out, and that's never going away. I mean, that's existed as long as we've had any type of you know, college college football postseason. Right, last question for you here, Cupp when it comes to this matchup against this Stanford team, I mean, really, it's about taking care of business. This is the biggest that Louisville has been favored in a conference game this year, and it's really not even close. I mean I kind of feel like with what we've seen, like, you know, you don't want to go out there and make some of the mistakes you made earlier this year that kept you for being able to win games. And maybe I'm jumping the gun here, and look, if they win close and they win, you know, just get out of the West Coast, come back, finish strong with Pitt and Kentucky. But I kind of feel like Louisville may roll here and really put a beat down on a team that is right now the worst team in their league. I'm not saying that if they don't do it, we should be we should be let down. But I kind of feel like they're going to go out there and really put on a good showing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, just what we talked about following that cleansing game where it's you've put together, you know, now six straight quarters of Man, if we do these things, you know, these little things right, everything else is going to kind of take care of itself.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we've been saying it for weeks. So they just clean up some stuff and just put together a complete game. Man, they've got a lot that the ceilings a lot higher than what we've seen.
Speaker 10: Right, Yeah, So I mean that's it seems very remedial. But you know, there's there's so many things that could happen and in different variables of the game, and it's going to be you know, funky atmosphere. So they're going to have to really lock in. But yeah, I'm with you. If they do the little things right, they should let the other stuff take care of itself.
Speaker 3: Cup, you are the man. Thanks is always for making time with us. Enjoy your weekend, enjoy some louisvill football, and.
Speaker 8: We'll talk soon. Brother.
Speaker 10: All I mean you too.
Speaker 8: Take care.
Speaker 3: That's Alex Cupper, former Little of the Cardinal. Always enjoyed chatting with him.
Speaker 8: And look, the the.
Speaker 3: Things that are just you know, they sound like cliches, just things people say when they don't really have an opinion. But you got to you gotta limit turnovers, you gotta you gotta do the little things, you gotta not hurt yourself. Well, the reason those things have been said a billion times is because they are important. All right, quick break, don't go anywhere, keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: All right, so very little time left here in the three o'clock hour before we get out of here once again, and uh, we're gonna finish strong though. Two hours left, and we'll start off the four o'clock hour with a conversation like we have each week on Thursdays with Kent Spencer from WHAS eleven, curious to get his thoughts on both Louisville and Kentucky on the basketball side of things. After we were able to see both teams tested for the first time, and obviously one team had a much different result than the other when it comes to those games. But when it comes to the college football Playoff rankings, and I don't have as much time right now to get into it, but trust me, I want to make sure I do it at around four point thirty today, and it it's one of those things where I kind of feel like it's really a waste of time and where people will think will realize, well, yeah, Nick, I mean, we all know that these rankings don't matter right now, and the committee can do whatever and it'll all play itself out, and you may be right. And when I consider that, it makes me feel like it's maybe not worth really spending much time on it. But if you look at the specific comparisons, and really there are some teams that you can't really compare. Yeah, they have the same record or similar record, but as far as resume, one team should be way higher than the other, and it's the other way around. And the committee, I feel like maybe this is just going to be the norm with the expanded playoff, twelve teams getting in, but they've really put themselves in a spot where now that you're putting, you know, more teams in to compete for the national championship and you have no divisions in.
Speaker 8: These big conferences.
Speaker 3: Also, I don't know if you've ever had a year in the playoff era, and obviously this is the first year of it being expanded, but you go back ten years ago when you started the four team playoff. This is without question the most wide open that it's ever been. I don't think anybody knows who, in fact is the best team in the country. I still happen to think that it's going to be one of the regulars that ends up winning the national championship this year. I don't know which one it's going to be, but I mean, who is the best team? I mean, Oregon's ten and oh number one, don't. I don't think that they're the best team, but I could be wrong. You know, you look at last year, and this is something that makes Indiana even more intriguing to me, because there's no way around it. Indiana has a resume that you can easily look at and say, I mean, there's really no evidence they're even decent. They haven't played a single good team. Their best win is against Nebraska, and in the other teams that they've played and Bean aren't very good. That's not their fault, doesn't mean they're not good it's just their resume. So if Indiana is as good as they think they are, if Indiana is legit, then it'll work out and they'll they'll be competing in the College Football Playoff and if they beat Ohio State then that settles it. It'll only give them one win, but either way, it'll work itself out. But Michigan last year they got the benefit of the doubt because they had gone to the playoff two straight years, and then last year they were really in the same situation Indiana was. They didn't play anybody worth a damn until the very end of the season. They played two good teams and won both those games, and then they went on to win the national championship. Indiana could do the same thing, but there's not as much belief because it's Indiana. It's not Harbaugh and Michigan. So I think some people want to bring up the Michigan thing to defend Indiana, but it falls flat. It's not the same thing. But with sign being a guy that nobody probably even heard of a year ago unless you're like a real big college football fan, I mean, Indiana doing what they're doing this year and Signetty being the guy in it being his first year at a big school. I mean, it's one of the more fascinating things I can think of that's happened in college football in a long time. I don't know if they're going to fall flat and lose to Ohio State, and you know, maybe they do sneak in the playoff and they get humbled because again, Indiana right now hasn't really been tested. And that's not their fault. Doesn't mean they're not great, it's just how it's worked out. All right, quick break, two more hours left. Stick with us at is Coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's taking you up until six o'clock right here on Sports Talk seven to.
Speaker 7: Ninety breaking news.
Speaker 1: And this one is almost unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all about new customers at bet three sixty five because they get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets when they bet five dollars, and even better, bonus bets can be used on the spread totals and player props.
Speaker 10: There you have it.
Speaker 1: Bet five dollars to get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets and see why it's never ordinary at bet bosis five, gambling problem call one in hundred. Gambler twenty one plus only must be physically located in Virginia. Terms and conditions apply