Speaker 1: Welcome to the Trauma Therapist podcast. My name is Gaming Person. I interview incredible people who've dedicated their lives to helping those who've been impacted by trauma. A big thank you to our sponsors and our guests who are supporting this show. Five or three, two and what our folks. Welcome back to the podcast. Very excited to have his make us today. Sharon Kwan, Sharon, welcome.
Speaker 2: Hi, Thank you so much for having me awesome.
Speaker 1: Sharon is a co founder of Joyous PBC and the founder of body Aware Therapy, where she works as a psychotherapist specializing in immigrant and bipoc individuals, couples and families cognitive psychologists. She develops successible, innovative mental health solutions while maintaining a ground at the clinical practice focus on identity, cultural simulation, spirituality, religious trauma, and relational dynamics. Her work also centers on helping clients build boundaries, communicate effectively, and live more authentically. All right, Sharon, just a little bit about you before we get going. Share with the listeners where you're from originally and where you are currently.
Speaker 3: I was originally born in South Korea and right now I am based in Los Angeles where I grew up.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so let's get into this. How the heck does this all start for you?
Speaker 2: So it all started for me.
Speaker 3: I went to therapy finally, and it really changed my life. I think I grew up just feeling very different from my peers. And you know, my friends, they're amazing. They've always been like, you should really try therapy. I think it would be really helpful for you. But I always I've just I always thought that it was for like, rich white people. I didn't think that it could be for me. I didn't think that anybody really understand the cultural.
Speaker 2: Context of my trauma.
Speaker 3: But I finally got to a point where it was like rock bottom and I needed help. I think I was around twenty five and I sought a Korean American therapist and immediately just felt so seen. She was such a kindred spirit. She really understood just all the religious trauma that I grew up with. Is Korean's like, there's two million Korean Americans in America.
Speaker 2: And most of them a lot of them.
Speaker 3: The biggest population of Koreans outside of Korea is in la and sixty percent of Korean Americans identify as Christian, and so I grew up in this tiny like it felt like a Christian Korean bubble. It almost felt like just like being raised in a cult. And my father is a pastor, and so there was a lot of layers of just enmeshment and wanting to please and having a hard time just being myself. And so this therapist she got it right away, and right from that moment on, I stopped wanting to run away and you know, hi, hide myself, and it became all about becoming the most authentic version of myself and really living life the way that I wanted, which I just never thought was possible.
Speaker 1: All Right, you jumped over the whole portion of your life. What the hell was going on.
Speaker 2: Like growing up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you said a couple of things that really stood out to me. You felt different, You couldn't be yourself. All the stuff going on with the enmeshment. What what? How was all? What was it? And how was it impacting you specifically?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, being the daughter of a pastor, there's always just a lot of pressure to be a certain way. It felt like I was sharing my life with church, I was sharing my life with God and my parents for my parents that was their biggest.
Speaker 2: Purpose in life.
Speaker 3: It was God was number one, and then me. You know, it was never like me first, and so all of it. Everything just became about Sundays like how can how can we all show up Sunday? And church was kind of it was an everyday thing. It was just such a daily part of my life. And you know, when I was little, like, yeah, I would go, I would follow. I believed, because you know, kids, that's what they do. They believe with their parents want them to believe. But as I got older, I started finding myself drifting away. I started wanting to get out of the tiny bubble that they wanted to keep me in. And that brought up a lot of shame and a lot of hiding myself, Like I really feel like I had to kind of I grew up in the closet a little bit of not really being able to be my authentic self and really having to compartmentalize.
Speaker 1: All right, So you've mentioned several times your authentic self. What what was it that you couldn't be or who you couldn't be?
Speaker 3: I honestly, I couldn't be myself. I had to be a representative of God. You know, I had to be a representative of my parents, and that was dressing a certain way, acting a certain way, leaving certain beliefs. Yeah, I really felt like I had no freedom to be curious and make mistakes and do the things that normal kids were doing. You know, like as a kid, I couldn't even dress up for Halloween, you know, we couldn't.
Speaker 2: I couldn't.
Speaker 3: I wasn't allowed to go trigger treating until I was old enough to go by myself. There were a lot of restrictions, a lot of surveillance, surveillance, and just a lot of what felt like it really just being in occult.
Speaker 1: So as you're growing up, how was this impacting you symptomatically? What's going on? If anything?
Speaker 3: A lot of anxiety, you know, a lot of hypervigilance, walking on eggshells, hiding myself. You know, I really felt like I had so many different identities. I couldn't be my who I really wanted to be around them, you know, I had to hide all these parts of me. You know, I had to hide relationships. They were very strict about you know, boys, I couldn't. I couldn't like have any boyfriends, like literally just friends.
Speaker 2: Were boys there were so many normal.
Speaker 3: Parts of life that I feel like had to be so hidden, and it turned into me, really I got really good at lying, so much so that I feel like I was just constantly lying to myself and I really just created a world that in a sense of self and identity that I didn't want.
Speaker 2: I wanted to just be able to be open and free.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I always had this like heightened anxiety because there was always going to be something to hide.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, So how do things unfold as you're growing up? Getting into school?
Speaker 3: School became a big source of It was a big outlet for me because I knew that was one way that I could earn my freedom, that was something that was parent approved. You know, Koreans really stress education and academics, and so I was like, well, I can't be that Christian daughter for them, which you know, I kept a secret the whole time. I was just I was acting like I believed, going to church, going through all the motions. But so but I knew, like deep down, that was not something that was in my heart, like you know, that was something that I was faking for them. But with education, I knew that that was something that they could be proud of that I could also get along with. And so I really poured my all into it. I was very much a high achiever, very much just wanting to get into the best and furthest school from them so that I could finally be free and so and that's what I did. So I ended up going to school in Chicago. I was like, I have to put at least a plane distance between us. And that's when I really feel like my life started.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, so what happened.
Speaker 3: I got to be who I am, I got to be free, I got to dress how I want, I got to be who I want.
Speaker 2: It was so cathartic and such a.
Speaker 3: Release to not have to be so hyper vigilant and walking on eggshells all the time and kind of like like living life with you know, looking behind my shoulder. It was truly just so life changing and like I said, just the start of a new me.
Speaker 1: Really was it impacting your physical health?
Speaker 3: I mean I think in terms of like the anxiety, Yeah, like panic attacks for sure, you know a lot of just every mistake was such a big one, you know, and it's like I can't even I can't get anything less than an a you know, it was very very stressful.
Speaker 1: In that respect, it sounds very stressful. So you get to Chicago, your life changes, you can be yourself. At what point did you see that therapist who was just like, sounds amazing.
Speaker 3: Honestly, it was after It was after colleges, when I was around twenty five. It took a while because even then I think I was still kind of just avoiding trying, and I was like, this is a new chapter.
Speaker 2: I'm away from them.
Speaker 3: I can just be myself, you know, I can do all the things that I wanted to do that I couldn't. So it was a lot of just being. I think I got a lot out of a lot of healing out of that. But then I got into a really bad car accident, you know, a taxi ran over a red light and hit another taxi that ran into me and sent me through the liquor store behind me. I was, yeah, it was very bad, and I was in the hot I see you for a couple of weeks. I had to get surgery.
Speaker 2: Under my eye.
Speaker 1: Was this in Chicago?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was in Chicago.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting because yes, that is the most traumatic, clearly the most traumatic event in my life. When I think back of all the things that have happened, but I feel like the complex trauma that I endured living with my parents was so much worse. Like if I could, if I compared the two, I would much rather get hit by a car than like have to relive the first eighteen years of my life like it was.
Speaker 2: It's interesting how.
Speaker 1: Trauma talking about like psychological emotional some might say abuse. Mm hmm, yeah, I mean it feels very restrictive and oppressive. Yes, at what point did you seek help?
Speaker 3: So I ended up going back to Korea actually and reconnected with my family there, and that was the first time I was really able to experience being a Korean without the religious piece, because Korea is actually kind of the opposite. It's more like sixty percent of people over there are non religious compared to in America where sixty percent are and my family they're not Christian, and so I got to re examine this cultural lens without a Christian lens, and that was really life changing for me.
Speaker 2: And now I love being Korean. I didn't before. I used to hate it.
Speaker 3: I used to feel like all Koreans are Christian and they're going to evangelize me and judge me. But I've come a long way with that. And so after I lived with them for a bit, I came back to the States because I got a big settlement from that taxi cab and I wanted to buy a house and I was staying with my parents while I was looking for a place, and things just really escalated. I think at that point it was just really hard to keep up with all the compartmentalization and the separate identities because there was such a big part of me that just was like, oh, I just want to be able to be myself, Like I don't want to have to hide this anymore. Like I hate that I have to hide my tattoos around them, you know, I was wearing sweaters around them in California. I hate that on Sundays I have to like go to church and pretend that I.
Speaker 2: Believe in this.
Speaker 3: And we got into a lot of fights and I actually I did. And yeah, so we got into a few fights, and I got to a point where I because with my dad is it's always just been a very difficult relationship.
Speaker 2: You know, he's a pastor and.
Speaker 3: He you know this is this is the way, and you know, as in a very patriarchal culture.
Speaker 2: You're supposed to just respect him.
Speaker 3: And but I always had a hard time with that. And yeah, we got into a really big fight that finally caused me to seek therapy and reach out to a Korean American therapist. And kind of right away that first Consule we talked, I cried, and she was just like, just come, just come to my office, let's let's talk. And yeah, the rest is history. I never I never looked back since then.
Speaker 1: Now, what were you doing for work during that time?
Speaker 2: I was not living my best life.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I was kind of I was waiting around for my settlement money and I was managing social media. It was a job that I found in New York. It was remote and so it allowed me to travel and that's how I got to go to Korea and travel around Southeast Asia and do a bunch of remote work.
Speaker 2: That way.
Speaker 1: You said you were not living your best life?
Speaker 3: No, No, I mean I guess they could argue that I kind of was. Okay, I wasn't living my I think, up to my best potential, Like I wasn't self actualizing at that point.
Speaker 1: Okay, So how do things unfold such that you do start to live your best life? You do say I'm want to start. I want to get into what psychology, become a therapist. How does that happen for you?
Speaker 3: So yeah, I feel like, up until then, my life was all about running away, running away from my parents, running away from this just bubble that they kept wanting to keep me in. And when I first tried therapy, I loved it and I was like, oh, I feel like I can do this because people have been telling me their problems my entire life, and you know, unsolicited, and so I was like, oh wow, there's like a way to make a living off of this. This is crazy, and so I kind of I started looking into programs and I found this like cultural psychology program in Amsterdam, and I told my therapist my plan. I was like, Okay, I'm going to do this program. I'm going to buy an apartment here, I'm going to rent it out. I'm going to go to Amsterdam and then I'm going to come back. But I'm I'm not going to tell my parents. I'm going to pretend that I'm still living abroad and just come back secretly and like start my life here without them knowing, because it's just still felt so unimaginable being able to like live in la right next to them and not go to church.
Speaker 2: And she kind of right away was.
Speaker 3: Like, hm, so you say you want to work with Asian Americans, but you want to do this program in Amsterdam. You know, I don't like, I don't know how the credits are going to transfer, Like it doesn't really make that much sense, Like what what is your rationale around this?
Speaker 2: And I was just like, you're right, it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Like here, I am just like doing all these mental gymnastics and physical gymnastics to avoid this problem that I just can't seem to figure out how to address and like can't seem to figure out like a happy.
Speaker 2: Answer for both of us.
Speaker 3: And but it really bothered me to be confronted with, Wow, I'm just making my life so much.
Speaker 2: Harder because of this, and so.
Speaker 3: Like, having been confronted with that, I was like, oh, you know what, You're right, I'm gonna take the harder route now so that my.
Speaker 2: Life can be easier later.
Speaker 3: And she actually she finally helped me, like especially come out to my parents and tell them, you know, I'm not a Christian. I don't go to church anymore, and so that I could just honestly and authentically be here and like fully commit to just being here and go to grad school here in LA and become a therapist here. And you know, my dad he was not pit he was he was not happy about it. You know, he's still not happy about it, and my mom either, But she, my mom actually did show me some of you know, God's grace. She told me that she would still love me anyway and thought it was okay, and that really set me free.
Speaker 1: Just wow, hang on a second, Sharon, that sounds amazing. I mean, I can't imagine you're painting this picture of again just such oppression, right and restriction and this inability to just just be yourself, and here you are finally able to, like you said, come out to your parents. How did you muster up the courage to do that?
Speaker 2: It was really hard.
Speaker 1: How did you do that? How did you do with that in person? Over the phone?
Speaker 3: It was in person. It was one of the hardest things that I've ever had to do. And I honestly, I don't even know if I like did it in person. I don't even know if I did it with my dad, Like I feel like for so long, I've kind of communicated with him through my mom because she is definitely the less intense one. And so I remember just with my mom that conversation. You know, I cried because she's also the breadwinner of our family, and she's worked her entire life.
Speaker 2: She's a nurse, she works very hard, and so.
Speaker 3: I think I felt so much guilt about letting her down because this is the one thing she wanted for me. You know, she didn't ask for anything else, just one, which was my spiritual freedom, which is kind of a lot, but you know, for her, it was just like this one one thing.
Speaker 2: And I told her this.
Speaker 3: I was like, you know, I have I feel so guilty about this, and she was like, you know, that's that's something that only God can solve for you. And I was like, no, no, I don't feel guilty towards God, like I feel guilty towards you.
Speaker 2: I feel so.
Speaker 3: Bad for letting you down that like I can't do this for you, and something in her just like opened. I don't know, I think that really hit home for her. But she was just like, you know what, don't worry, like if it's about me, like you don't have to feel guilty, like you don't have to go, It's okay.
Speaker 2: I'll love you anyway.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that was just such a beautiful moment. You know, my mom and I, she she she was always working. We didn't really spend that much time together. And I think just affection with Asian parents.
Speaker 2: Is it's they don't really say it explicitly they say.
Speaker 3: They show it more so in their actions and you know, in providing and caring for you and so to actually have that in words like oh, I it's okay, I'll still love you anyway, it was. Yeah, it was really big for me, and I think it really just gave me permission to just be myself and be okay with it.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. I can feel the relief in the room. Really. All Right. So you what, you start studying in LA to become a therapist, okay, and when you get into your program, what are you thinking, if any, are you thinking about a particular specialty or what you want to work on or who you want to work with?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I really want to work I really wanted to work with Asian Americans. You know, there's so many in Los Angeles that struggle.
Speaker 2: With these cultural dynamics with parents.
Speaker 3: Oftentimes they come from very collective cultures where family is first. There's a lot of filial piety, there's a lot of guilt and shame if you don't do what the family wants. And so I really wanted to help people kind of figure out a life that works with them, where they can balance these different ideals cultural and individualistic. And then I also really wanted to work with specifically folks who have experienced religious trauma.
Speaker 1: M all right, so let me just remind everyone was speaking with Shower and Kwan, co founder of Joyous PBC and the founder of Body Aware Therapy. So let's talk specifically about the work you do, who you're working with, how you're doing that work, and even before that, how did you get to this point where, all right, I want to start my own thing, my own company or whatever.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was just all the healing that I had done, and I think, I mean, I always wanted to just work for myself. I've you know, in my training, I've obviously I've worked with a lot of people. I worked at another therapy group, Yellow Chair Collective, where we worked where they specifically served Asian American communities and did a lot of intern ships with you know that focused on Asian populations, and so when I started, you know, my private practice, I really wanted to.
Speaker 2: Kind of bridge both worlds.
Speaker 3: And that's kind of how Body of Wear therapy happened, where you know, Eastern philosophy meets this Western psychology, and I really wanted to kind of bridge both worlds.
Speaker 1: Is there a stigma towards therapy to we're seeing a therapist in the Asian community. I mean you said there was, yeah.
Speaker 3: Experience one hundred percent definitely, especially among like older generations. But I do think that younger generations have come around. But it is interesting how and I think this happened a lot during COVID because there was a lot of the rise of anti Asian hate crimes, and so you know, our community was directly being impacted and it was a direct trauma. It wasn't like invisible complex trauma. It was like fear, and you know, visceral fear, like we had we had people, you know, our elders being attacked, you know, young women being attacked. So there was that led to I think a huge increase in Asian Americans seeking therapy. And oh yeah, and but What I found interesting was that even still a lot of my clients then we're keeping it a secret. They weren't telling their parents about it, about the that they know that they were in therapy. Yeah, so the stigma was still very much there. It was just like this is not this is shameful, or like my parents won't understand and they're going to think that I'm being ungrateful, or like they're gonna dismiss me, like trauma, what mental health?
Speaker 2: Why would you have any issues? We've done so much for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so who's obviously I'm sure there's a wide variety of people who are coming to you, But is there a theme? Is there a common denominator? Are younger people who are maybe becoming comfortable with the stigma getting rid of the stigma? Are they coming to see you? Who are your clients? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I would say it kind of ranges anywhere from like mid twenties to mid forties right now for me, women and men, And a lot of the themes among my Asian American clients have to do with family and parents and boundaries, a lot of childhood trauma, a lot of things that they feel like parents continue to dismiss and invalidate and like they will never understand, and so it's a lot of grieving. Like I feel like I spend most of my time with my clients grieving with.
Speaker 1: Them and grieving specifically what lost experience, lost time.
Speaker 3: What grieving the loss of the ideal parent, you know, the ideal parents that they never got and probably won't get, you know, because it's a lot of kind of accepting our parents' limitations. You know, they also grew up with their own traumas and their own hardships, and you know, with the stigma and mental health, like it will likely be very hard for them to ever really understand and accept the things that we experience, especially when a lot of times their trauma was way worse, it was a lot harder. And you know, I don't want to I don't want to turn it into like the oppression Olympics, but sometimes that's just kind of how.
Speaker 2: It goes down.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, I really focus on helping my clients grieve that so that they can come out on the other end of just accepting that, Yeah, it sucks, you know, it's not perfect, but you know, we do the best we can.
Speaker 1: Your story, Sharon, is very powerful. This need to be who simply be yourself. You would think it's not that hard, but it's hard for so many of us. And that just keeps coming up and coming up throughout your life. And I can imagine you sitting there with your clients, many of whom, right, they just want to be myself, but all these other it's like these upt hands, these puppet strings are coming pulling them. How do you begin to work with your clients in that capacity?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's just acknowledging the grief, acknowledging all the lost experiences, and working with them to reparent and healed that inner child, you know, the chat the little kid in them that's still there, that still wants that ideal parent to just love them unconditionally and you know, want the best, want what they want, you know, want them to.
Speaker 2: Just be happy.
Speaker 1: And that sounds easier said than done, of course, right. I mean for a lot of us, we never get that we've never had that is this Is there a whole new language that Korean Americans have to learn to even begin to sit with you.
Speaker 2: For sure?
Speaker 3: I mean it's this language of compassion. I think that is so hard. I really feel like a lot of times, you know, we feel so grateful for our parents' sacrifices, but that gratitude very quickly turns into guilt, and it's very difficult, I think, for people to hold these two feelings together. Of like, I feel grateful for my parents, but I also feel resentful for my childhood. You know, both of these things can exist at once, and we have the capacity to hold space for both.
Speaker 2: But I think that a lot.
Speaker 3: Of times, you know, they come in seeing me being like, I can't feel this way, Like I have to just be grateful, and that's when and when you when you reject that resentment and you know, letting yourself feel that anger, it really it stops you from being able to fully grieve, fully accept that this this is where your life is. You know, this is this is what your relationship with your parents is like. And I think a lot of people just get stuck there.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm yeah. I mean, as you're speaking, I'm thinking to myself, you know, you had this, this this continued drive, this uh propulsion to to be your authentic self, and a lot of people don't or they have it, but it just stays buried right buried inside, locked away. What allowed you to continue to be drawn to that.
Speaker 3: I think I'm stubborn, a little bit of being stubborn, and I think the car accident, actually, it really did kind of change. It changed my life in that I I almost died and I feel like this is my second chance in life. And I really I woke up from that accident feeling like somehow I was bird and I have to make this life worth it.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, Wow. So you were hit, thrown into.
Speaker 2: The window of a liquor store, trapped into the car.
Speaker 1: Oh my god? Were you unconscious?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean I don't remember.
Speaker 3: I just I have a flash of myself in the er screaming at them to put me under.
Speaker 2: Because I was in so much pain. And then I woke up in the ICU.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you wake up? At what point were you? Were you?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Okay, things have to effing change in my life. When did that happen to you?
Speaker 3: That didn't take I mean I don't think I really that hit until a few months later, you know. I think at that point I was just like trying to heal and sure.
Speaker 2: Really pissed off, like why did this happen to me?
Speaker 3: Like? What did I do to deserve this, which felt like a constant theme in my life anyway, like in my childhood, what did I do to deserve this? And so for then some like that to happen really set me back. And then because that was when I was like, Oh, I'm free, I have all this freedom.
Speaker 2: This is great. I'm living my life.
Speaker 3: And then that happened, it was almost like it was like am I being punished by God for this? Like what's going on? Like if God really exists, why did he do this to me?
Speaker 2: And now I see it.
Speaker 3: You know, it took many years, but now I see it as like one of the best things that ever happened to me.
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, Sharon, you're inspiring? Really are my God? All right? How do people learn more about you and the work you're doing.
Speaker 3: What's the best way you can reach out on my website Sharon Kwan dot com. That's kwo n And if you want to learn more about the Korean American religious immigrant experience, I have a podcast out It's called two Pks in a Pod.
Speaker 1: I love it, Love it all right. We'll have all that length up here at the show notes page at the Trauma Therapists podcast dot com. Appreciate you, Sharon, thanks so much for being here.
Speaker 2: Thank you all right, take care, take care,