Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome. It's time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust and joining me here, we have a Commissioner Corey Scholl. Corey, how you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm good, Tom, I'm good. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Well, A lot's been happening the last time we saw you. Last time we saw you, you had just won the election, but you were thrust into office just a little early.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, yeah, unfortunately, with the passing of you know, Commissioner Movia. I was appointed by the governor I think December fifth and sworn in on the sixth, and you know, just a just a terrible thing.
Speaker 2: He's so close to retirement and.
Speaker 3: All that it was. It was a bad deal. But you know, I got to know him. I met I met Mike when he when he first came into office. And you know, of course I worked for District three. He worked for uh a commissioner of District two. So so our pass crossed, you know, quite frequently, and always super nice guy and.
Speaker 2: Enjoyed talking with him.
Speaker 3: And then when when he decided to do his retirement or not seek reelection, I told him that I was going to I got to visit with him several times, and you know, he talked about, you know, the difference. You know, I was at two, he was at three, but those are they're the same, but they're not, you know, So we got to discuss a little bit about the differences of those two two districts. And he always he talked about the cemeteries, you know, oh yeah, he was did some major up facelifts on those things. And he never came around and asked me exactly, you know, to the point if I was what I was going to do with them. But I did assure him that anything he was doing with those cemeteries we would continue to do very good. He was, I think he was pretty happy about that.
Speaker 1: He had to be absolutely Now, your learning curve was kind of a very hurry up. Yes, even though you've been working as a worker with the District three for many, many years, twenty nine years of it. So now that aspect is one thing. Being on the other side of the table a little bit different. It is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's quite a bit different, more different than I even expected. Obviously, I am glad to have the experience that I have. I can't imagine coming into this completely blind.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: There's a learning curve, a lot of moving parts. I'm trying to figure them all out. I'm two, a little bit over two months into it. I feel like I have all the pieces to the puzzle. I've just got to get them put together.
Speaker 1: You've got a couple of pretty good folks that can hit help you out there with your fellow commissioners.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely, And you know, of course I have good relationships with them. I had prior to even thinking about running for commissioner, you know, and then obviously Commissioner Done Laps was my boss for the past eighteen years. Yeah, so I've got a great relationship with him, and it is nice to be able to work with them.
Speaker 2: All of our elected officials are so so good to work with.
Speaker 1: Oh imagine, so good good people. What do we have cooking here? We've got I'm gonna go ahead and jump into this because it took a look at the forecast that we might actually see some rain or some snow or maybe a little bit of a mixture of both.
Speaker 2: That's that four letter word.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I know, wash my mouth out with so right, Yeah, it happens to you, it doesn't happen here. Very often, but when it does, it gets people's attention. Sometimes it gets there adrenaline going. So what's the process once we start having weather like this come into our area, what's the process?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, we had a little trial run a few weeks ago, a month ago, whatever it was, had about three or four inches of snow and the guys they were out at three o'clock in the morning and they started their routes. All the guys at district too, they've been there for quite some time, so they know they know exactly what to do. They have their routes, they get in their trucks. You know, we hit try to hit the main traveled roads as quick as possible and then just kind of work our way down from major collectors, minor collectors to you know, the more roads that don't get a whole lot of traffic. We get to those probably last.
Speaker 2: But yeah, just.
Speaker 3: Getting the equipment ready the guys, you know, a couple days before and make sure everything's working and wait for the snow to come in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if it doesn't, well, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great thing as long as it's snow and not ice.
Speaker 1: Now, during the course of the year, we have routine roads and bridge maintenance. It takes place. We got anything cooking big as the weather starts.
Speaker 2: To improve, we do.
Speaker 3: I've driven around some roads of course with my with my road foreman. He had several roads that he would he would like to see that they're gravel now, and a lot of there's a lot of residents on these. A couple of them's dead end roads, but there's a lot of residents on there, you know, so uh, it was kind of one of his things, he'd like to see those graveled, and I obviously thought it would be a great idea to get those. You're not having to put gravel on them two or three times a year, great them, you know, who knows how many times a year depending on the weather.
Speaker 1: It seems like there's a whole lot of maintenance for what's supposed to be a low meeting.
Speaker 2: It's road absolutely, yeah, there is.
Speaker 3: You know, there's school buses go down those roads turn around. So how we're they're in the process right now of mixing in some lime and rock, building the roads up, getting getting a proper crown on them, getting the drainage drainage ditch is done done up, because that's the life of a road.
Speaker 1: You got to proper, proper drainage.
Speaker 2: You're going to be just you have.
Speaker 3: Trouble, you have to You've got to get the road compacted well, get it built up. And the the oil and chips we put on there are basically just dust control.
Speaker 2: Yeah they are. They don't strengthen the road hardly. They keep the dust down. Yeah, absolutely so, yeah, we've got that.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 3: The our ceed Projects District too, I inherited a couple of projects that are One of them is a Bison Road project. It's from West twenty two hundred to Highway sixty. That's a busy, it's it's pretty busy. And then there's the other project would be from Bison Road to highway or yeah, from Bison Road on twenty two hundred road to Highway seventy five.
Speaker 2: And both of these.
Speaker 3: Have have bridges that are going to have to be replaced, and the project consists of widening out the road.
Speaker 2: It would have, you know.
Speaker 3: A much wider road and probably four or five foot shoulders on each side, kind of like Bison from Tuxedo going to Durham. It would come out probably be something like that. And then recently, well just last week, I have added a bridge project to that that is a fracture critical bridge that we've been come to find out, we've been getting deemed for for several years, and so I'm thinking, well that, you know, we might need to put that on our priority list and get that up there and get it see if we can't get that replaced.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's that's where we are on those good and six.
Speaker 1: What else is it going on in the district too that books might not be aware of that, Maybe it wouldn't hurt to kind of highlight some cool things that are going on.
Speaker 3: Uh well, I mean basically that's just getting getting those projects out there and hopefully getting those started. Obviously, the bridge project, it'll it'll start first, It'll be one of these, Yeah, it'll be, but I mean it may be five years from now.
Speaker 2: It's just hard to say.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and then you know, we just this time of year, it's it's tough to get things.
Speaker 1: It hurry up and wait.
Speaker 3: It is that there's just there's a lot of stuff we can't do. There's a lot of stuff we can do, and but mainly it's it's routine maintenance.
Speaker 1: All right, and just making sure that everybody's getting what the paying for and yeah, everything else like that. What's the coolest thing about being a commissioner now that you maybe weren't expecting when you were actually working for a commissioner.
Speaker 2: Oh, Tom, I don't know right now.
Speaker 3: I'm in that transition stage.
Speaker 2: We might have to discuss this at a later day.
Speaker 1: Okay, once once you see everything, once you.
Speaker 2: Go through a cycle.
Speaker 3: Absolutely the Yeah, there's there's a lot of stuff, you know right now.
Speaker 2: I've it's been nice to.
Speaker 3: Go around and get acquainted with with more of the people that that I you know, I knew them, but I wasn't real acquainted with them.
Speaker 2: I've gone around and you know.
Speaker 3: Looked at our properties, tried to get acquainted with that and had the people show me around them, and so you know that that's been that's been good, just you know, kind of get an eye on what what we have and what's going on with it.
Speaker 1: Good. Hey, Corey, I want to thank you for dropping by today. I know you've got a ton of things to do, but thanks for spending part of your Friday.
Speaker 2: Morning with us. Absolutely, thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, that's
Speaker 2: Commissioner Corey Shival with this here on gaybe