Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast.
Speaker 2: Do it now? How you doing out there? It's me Tigger, I am Doc Wayne Duck. It's me Bunkers keep bobcat. All right, y'all? Did it great? Your favorite firefly you desire? Hold old knock guy.
Speaker 1: My name is Jim Cummings and welcome to tuned In.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, everybody to another episode of Tuned In with Jim Cummings. I'm producer Chris the Legend himself, Jim Cummings. How are you doing today, sir?
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello one and all? All is well? Everything is great here in paradise. And how about that Kensington Tollman?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a great episode.
Speaker 2: We fie? Did you guys? Are that show of hands? Okay? Good, good good? I all enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lie. I kind of came in with some preconceived notions, you know, like she's the youngest person that's ever been on the podcast, you know, and like she already has a phenomenal career, which is.
Speaker 2: I know, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: And what a doll. She really blew me away with like how well spoken she was. And she has her own podcast, you know, for mental health awareness for teenagers. I mean that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tune in please.
Speaker 3: I haven't said how how do you have enough time in the day to do all this stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really hate people like her, No, just kidding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you missed that one last week, it's really worth checking out. I'm not even yeah, you know, please, it really is. It was a fun discussion and we wish her all the best. But coming up today, another another actor who started as a child.
Speaker 2: That is true. That is true.
Speaker 3: Crazy that he said he's been in SAG for what forty years? Oh yeah, and he's like forty six years old.
Speaker 2: And he's thirty five, So how about that? Yeah, and it's true. Who else who could we possibly be talking about? Peter Parker? No, Josh Keaton? How about that?
Speaker 1: Josh Keaton Spider Man himself, And if you're lucky he'll do a little web sculpture for you.
Speaker 2: Who knows.
Speaker 1: But stay tuned and stay sticky and watch that one. You're gonna love it. He's a hell of a guy. I've known a for a long time. Yeah, he and I And I'll give you a little trivia question. What is the scariest, most ridiculous gig that I've ever had? And it was not a cartoon, but it did involve Josh Keaton.
Speaker 3: Leave a comment, Leave a comment if you know the answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about that? Yeah, throwing you for a loop.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you guys are going to enjoy this episode. Right before we start, we have a couple announcements to make, starting with bonus content. Yes, that's right, I'm gonna jump ahead of you, Jim jump and announce this bonus content that we have on Patreon. If you didn't know, there's early access to these episodes that you're watching right now. That's right. Patreon subscribers get these episodes a whole week early, so you're on the slow train again. Me too, but we appreciate you. And you can find that at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast. There's also merchandise on Shopify, at Jim Commings Closet. You can get a whole bunch of cool Winnie the Pooh shirts, Darkwing Duck, classic characters, classic looks, and lots more content coming your way. We're really up and up the up and up the social media princess a lot more content, So stay on the lookout for all that good stuff. And if you want to see Jim in person, wait, there's more. Where can they find you?
Speaker 1: Jim out the world famous nostalgic on where Else voice d Sorry boise Idaho Nostalgic on Very Nostalgic. It's coming up on May twenty fourth and twenty fifth, so be there if you're in the neighborhood, or if you're not, be there. But wait, here's another nostalgic on you gotta love them. This one's in Anaheim, right down by Disneyville, and that is June sixth and eighth. Nostalgic on Anaheim June sixth, June eighth through June eighth, and the anime verse, which is is a damn fine verse and it's in.
Speaker 2: Kansas City, Kansa City.
Speaker 1: Here Ick come on June twenty eighth and twenty ninth, so please be there.
Speaker 2: But do whatever it takes. Just if I go there now and wait just to make sure. What do you think? Okay, thank you for your cooperation. I'm done talking.
Speaker 3: With all that said, we hope you enjoyed today's episode with Josh Keaton. We will see you in the next one. Welcome back, everybody to another episode of Tuned In with Jim Cummings. I'm producer Chris, joined as always by the legendary Jim Cummings.
Speaker 2: How's it going, folks, and.
Speaker 3: Today we have another special guest for you, Josh Keaton. You know him from The Spider Man, you know him from many many other things. Thank you for joining us, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: It's great to see this.
Speaker 4: Always welcome.
Speaker 2: Welcome brethren, Chrises.
Speaker 1: All right, very cool man, It's good to see you you too, Always good to see you. Back many moons ago, we had the same agent.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's true, right, I remember seeing it in the DPN in the office from Yes. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I have to tell you one of the coolest things is I was getting ready, I'm pulling up, you know, getting ready to go in, do some auditioning, do some contract signing, whatever, and up comes this Volkswagen and it was a spider mobile. Oh no, wait, this was a Mini Yeah, the Mini Cooper, Mini Cooper. Yes, Mini Cooper even better and and I and I said, who the hell? And Josh gets out that's right, uh huh. And then he threw up shot a web up into a tree and swung into the building right over my.
Speaker 2: Head, right inside. It was awesome.
Speaker 1: And I had to go up there and I mean, you you spent some money.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean I had whip on the on my license plate and yeah, yeah it was cool. Yeah, it was really cool.
Speaker 3: What was the interior like?
Speaker 2: Uh, the interior was was pretty stock web. I'm a car guy. I'm a car guy, so I like modifying cars. I'll never buy another Mini again because, unfortunately, even though it was really fun to drive, from a reliability standpoint, there awful cars.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh but it was a really fun car to drive. And it had a nice flat roof. So I got this cool vinyl wrap of the artwork from Spectacular Spider Man on there and it looked great.
Speaker 1: It looked amazing. I remember it to this day.
Speaker 2: It was super cool. That was a good time.
Speaker 4: Good for you.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: That don't have it anymore?
Speaker 2: No, I mean the end, it blew a head gasket at like eight thousand miles, oh man, and it has no oil pressure gauge. So and apparently these engines really drink oil, so even from the factory, so you don't really know that anything's wrong with your car until the light goes on and it's too late to do it until it's dead. So they they replaced the motor and then at like sixty thousand miles it happened again. And by this time I was religiously like putting oil. Yeah, yeah, you knew, and and it still did it. So I was just like I said, haul it out here. I don't want this car anymore.
Speaker 1: So you couldn't expose it to radiation to renive it. No, I mean if I give it you know a little uh yeah, a little past, yeah, I could have cling clung to the road, clung cling, yeah, clung, yeah, yeah, clung, yes, yes, definitely. Yeah, you may call in and let us know. That's right, because this is live at the time we're doing it, it's live. But yeah, I mean, but boy, what a legacy I mean for to be involved in something like that, you know that I get.
Speaker 2: To this day. Yeah, like that's so much of my like when I see people at conventions, so much of of the people, so many of the people coming up to me or are coming up to me for spectacular Spider Man. Absolutely, and that was my favorite superhero since I could read. Like that was the first comic book I ever picked up. It's probably been the only one I've ever really consistently read, even into my adulthood, and it's it was a dream come true to get to play that part, and it gets to play it on on a show that I mean, everybody that worked on that show was bringing their a game. Everybody loved Spider Man so and it was evident. I mean it was evident in the art style, it was evident in the writing and the quips, and it was evident and in the fact, like the thing that I loved about that show was a Spider Man fan. Is the bigger a fan you were, the more there was for you in that show. That's a good way to be. They write about that. They would absolutely take iconic covers from the comics and work it into the show, so like you could freeze frame it at a certain point and be like that's it. That's like, yeah, you know, you'd know exactly where that came from. It was really cool. And Greg Weisman was also very proud of the fact that if anybody ever spoke on the show, if they had a line, they had to have appeared in the comics at some point, even if it was like a one line janitor. Oh okay, they had a line. Yeah, yeah, there was a comic tie back to them. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now I'm so interested in this because I've heard this talked about before, you know, even like the Marvel Cinematic Universe and everything. Do they have a role where it's like you're the comics specialist, because can they really expect everybody to read like sixty years of comics? I mean, you know, so you have to have somebody else. They kind of.
Speaker 2: Did, and I think they I think I'm pretty sure they actually had somebody that did the research. But I mean Greg would do a lot of it himself.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh so yeah, well he was a true nerd absolutely, yeah, in the best sense, in the best sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That always fascinates me. With like all the little Easter eggs and everything, I'm like, there's no way a crew of like ten thousand people we're all like, oh yeah, we know every single character the comics, we all read them, you know, just all happens to beyond this project.
Speaker 2: I mean maybe he was going to put in a Janitor and then searched everything for when when was there a Janitor and Spider Man or whatever?
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, yeah, it's fascinating that.
Speaker 1: I remember being pissed off sort of kind of at the last Spider Man movie where the three who played the on camera in the in the film Spider Man. I was thinking that you should have been in there, just as like a cameo.
Speaker 2: I would have loved that. I mean, they come on in across the Spider to be Spider Man and that as spectacular and honestly, I think the fans are what brought me into that show or into that movie. Because that movie came out in June of last year. They didn't call me into record until March, like I wasn't even a part of it. And I remember two weeks before they called me, they released this poster and it was basically an upside down miles in front of like a sea of Spider Man, spider and spectacular Spider Man was like down at the in the front, but like in you know, off off to the right and the Internet went crazy. The Internet went crazy, and Spectacular Spider Man was trending number one on all the socials the entire day. It was trending higher than Spider Verse, and that was what the thing was supposed to be promoting. And everybody was taking this confirmation that I was going to be in it, and I was like, no, I mean, they haven't even called me, and they're like, oh, he's just he's pulling in Andrew Garfield. He totally like, no, I really have no idea what you're talking about, and they're like you And it wasn't until like two weeks later that they called my agent and offered me a role. And I really feel like they saw that social media potential, like you know.
Speaker 1: We got to tap into that. Yeah, oh that's that's wonderful. Yeah, thank you fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt about Spectacular Alive.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We keep saying that jokingly about this podcast. We'll have guests on and then all of a sudden they're in like a new commercial or something. Yeah, what what did you call it, Jim? Yeah, the not the tuned in crease, tuned increase. I love it, get it. It's a little play on words. Yes, yeah, fingers cross for that tuned increase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. You never know, man.
Speaker 3: That must be so cool though, like being such a fan of a character and then getting the opportunity, like when that first came up, like what was your feeling?
Speaker 2: Absolutely well, But when by the time Spectacular Spider Man came out, I was ready. I was ready because I had already kind of played Spider Man in a couple of video games, well actually a video game. It was the two thousand and two tie in for the first Spider Man Toby Macguireasa two yeah two one, and I originally played Spider Man in that, but then after I had finished recording everything, they ended up getting Toby to be able to do it. So I guess they didn't want to waste all the audio they had done with me, so they had me come in and record a couple of extra little parts so that they could make a hidden mode of play where if you beat the game, then you get to play through the game again, as like Harry in the Goblin Suit that it was really Spider Man, like all the stuff for Spider Man. Like I said, they had me come in and record a couple of extra little things. So it's you know, oh, this is Harry, but it was Spider Man. And I wasn't like super crestfallen that they had like replaced me, because I'm like, it was a Toby movie and you can't do video games. Weren't then what they are now exactly, Yeah, And so I was just like you know whatever, you know, I was. I was thankful that they actually kept me in the game somehow, So thank you, thanks being Knox. That was that was, you know, solid. But then when it came to to do the Spider Man two game, they just brought me in as Harry. Like by that point I was the de facto Harry. So then there was like a game called spiders Transition.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, there was a game called Spider Man Friend or Foe, and I was Harry in that and James Arnold Taylor was Spider Man in that one. Who was Harry in our show. So we ended up like doing a little flip flop. Yeah. But by the time the audition came around for Spectacular Spider Man, I was like I'm ready for this, Like I'm gonna do this now, like this is I went in there just guns blazing and turned out it turned out well, yeah it did.
Speaker 3: And how many years did that last?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 2: I mean we got cut short because that was that was right around the time that Disney was was going to buy Marvel. So we did a season. It was like critically acclaimed, it got it was getting great ratings, and then we were doing season two and while we were recording season two was when Disney bought Marvel and they basically never canceled us and never picked us up. They just never said anything, but they told, you know, oh, you're going to be headlining our new network, Disney XD. But then when they put us on Disney XD, the they showed the episodes out of order. They kept changing the times that it was going to air. They never really Didney promotion.
Speaker 1: That was a chunky period, right, Yeah, when they were that launch was happening, there were things that were they were kind of truncating shows like, oh, here's three.
Speaker 2: Of them, what are we going to do? Yeah, I remember that was it was. It made it they they made it hard to get an audience. And also we went from being on network TV Kids w B to a show that to a network that really at the time was only on like Dish Network. If you didn't have Dish Network, you didn't have Disney obscure, so very obscure, and so yeah, I mean it the way it all worked out, because people are always asking me, you know, could it ever come back? And the thing is is that Disney now owns the rights to the character of Spider Man for TV, but Sony still owns the rights to the show The Spectacular Spider Man. So if Disney wanted to continue making it, they would have to basically pace Sony life the show so they could keep making.
Speaker 4: They're crazy, they do that. They can't wait to spend money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, They're like, we can just make our own show.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's got to be. They never released it on Disney Plus either, right, or they briefly did.
Speaker 2: Briefly they did right when, right when Across the Spider Verse was going to come out.
Speaker 3: It makes sense they had it on there.
Speaker 2: And I think that the reason they even put it on there is that Netflix put it on there, so any put it on Netflix, and this show that had been absent from media for all these years was like trending number one on Netflix. Yeah, well, like it did amazing on Netflix. It's not a whole new generation of kids into the Spactacular Spider Man. And then when that happened, Disney XD put it on Disney XD still had the season finale and another thing out of order. They still never fixed it, and so they had it on there out of order, and and then once the movie was out of theaters, it disappeared again.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, it's been. It's been Parker luck one one d yes one thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know I remember because of my age group, I can remember all of the Fantastic Four, the Avengers, Captain America, Spider Man. I had the first Spie. The first Spider Man comic book wasn't a Spider Man comic book. It was amazing tales.
Speaker 2: Amazing fantasy.
Speaker 1: And he's and I can remember, I can see it right now, he's swinging across the cover, classic Spidery pose and and it just it gives me goosebumps. And I always every time I tell the story, I just it just kind of ruins my day. But I remember, I was probably in my thirties and I went back home. I was born in Austown, Ohio, and I went up into the attic and I go, hey, mom, you know I had that first Fantastic Four, first Spider Man, first Avenger, the Captain America. There was and I just went down the line Iron Man back when he looked like a tin can.
Speaker 2: And I can't.
Speaker 5: I can't find them anywhere. And she goes, oh, don't worry, hon, I gave it away. I took them down to the church and and we I think they gave them away. They gave them to kids and the orphanage or something. And I'm thinking, well, good, well, you know those kids in the orphanage are going to go buy their mother's house because of what you gave away.
Speaker 2: And it was coming and it's still yeah, and she goes, oh, don't worry, don't worry. Why would I worry. You threw away a fortune, Oh man, I mean I found an amazing fantasy named.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had an and they were pristine. I didn't abuse, like somebody roll them up and stick them in their back pocket, you know, or whatever. No, I kept it. They were pristine. They were they were in ace condition. I have to I need a moment now.
Speaker 2: I'm back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's it's just a it's an actually slightly painful memory, slightly Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think i'd ever recover from something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the fans are watching, they're going on man, that's definitely.
Speaker 2: I think anybody watching. When you started this story about hey, you just going back home, as soon as you said going back home, like she threw them away, went rid of them.
Speaker 4: Looking for the box, you know, the one that wasn't there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one, that one I was looking for, that one, that one that's painful.
Speaker 2: Moment of silence is brutal. Yeah, yeah, okay, I'm back half in the chat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wanted to you stream, right, you stream?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I haven't for like a year, Okay, and I need to get back into it and maybe yeah, and that's the what I want to play. I want to play. I'm bad right now because I just started, but I want to play Iron Man, and I want to troll people in chat because like he's got this move, the maximum pulse, where like apparently it gives people PTSD hearing it, because if you hear it and they get off that move, you're the whole team is dead. He just goes maximum pulse. And so I just want to go into chat and just start randomly like saying maximum like making people freak out thinking it's going to happen. It's easy to counter now, like there's some of the classes that can counter his ultimate move. But still but if I in chat, they might blow their counter and then I can actually land.
Speaker 3: All Yeah, I thought you did a great job with that voice as Iron Man in the game. Yeah, it's a great game. We had Colleen O'shawnese and yeah, I had a bunch of voice actors from that show, but I mean from that game. But since it's you know, we got to have him back on to talk about it.
Speaker 2: They got a packed cast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they really do, they really do. They went all out and Uri was playing Spider Man in that.
Speaker 2: One, correct, Yeah, very spider Man in that Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he gets a lot of stabs at him, doesn't he probably?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think everybody's having to go at Spider Man all the time. Yeah, all the time.
Speaker 1: And you were pretty active in the Marvel universe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they you're thankful to to have been. You're all over. Yeah, I've been Steve Rogers and what And that one was scary because America actually Chris Evans voice match and it was supposed to be like MCU canon. Oh I so that one was probably the scariest one I've had to do, because like, he was one of only three people from the MCU that didn't come back to reprise their roles show. So I was like, how are what are they going to think about, like not being Chris?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm thinking about I'm trying to listen for it in my head and it's not. And he's He's one of those voices that I hate having to try to voice Metro because there's nothing you can really hang your head on. It's not like he sounds like Jack Nicholson, right, you know, he sounds like some guy and you're okay, well that's good.
Speaker 2: Those are the hardest ones to match, the hardest one, the hardest ones to match. Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access.
Speaker 2: To the show itself, prize draw and more.
Speaker 1: You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at Patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings podcast.
Speaker 2: Do it Now?
Speaker 3: Do you get asked to voicematch a lot for certain people.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, back in the day, I used to voice match uh Jay barukel for for hiccup for the Dragon. I used to do that one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so that's how you pronounce it.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to hear that. I think, I hope, yes, kind of something, Oh yeah, kind of.
Speaker 1: It's in it, like he chooses words and it's very up in the back of the nasal area.
Speaker 2: It's funny, like a lot a lot of stuff's in there. I mean, even even the even the Steve Rogers stuff. I mean with with him, you know, you kind of got to lower his voice a little bit, but then he's still kind of putting it out through that that that mask and uh and he does a little bit of like a Brooklyn thing, especially where in the part that I was that I was doing, which was before he gets the serum.
Speaker 1: Okay, when he was from the Bronx or somewhere right Brooklyn Brooklyn, Brooklyn Brooklyn. Yeah, yeah, I knew it was a B word.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, Marvel Comics, is it for me? Yeah, you know, and but for you, you have the distinction of going from the Marvel universe to the d C universe and back again. And yeah, I mean because you're like all over the lantern. You're very Yeah, why it's funny you mentioned green lantern.
Speaker 2: Okay, you ready, I'm ready, and brightest and brightest day in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evils might beware my power green lantern light. We did it. Okay, amazing, Good night, everybody. That made my day. That was another show that got cut short way too, and that one. That one was because of the movie. The movie did so poorly that they never even made a toy line for our show because they couldn't get the movie toys to even move in the stores. So when the toy line, the toy companies pitched the toy line, the stores are like, we have enough green lantern toys. They're like, no, this is for the show, not the movie. They're like, no, we're good on green lanterns. So it never even made a toy line.
Speaker 3: So without that, we were kind of songs that was the Ryan Reynolds one that.
Speaker 2: Was a Ryan Reynolds, but our show had nothing to do with that, Like it was a it was a it was a Bruce tim show. And it really look in fairness, like, I feel like the movie really had a lot on its plate in terms of what it had to do. The movie had to basically, let's preface this by saying that Green Lantern, for most of its time has been something that like comic book fans will really know a lot about, like the Normies. It's not at all Spider Spider Man, It's not like that. So they had to basic introduced people to the entire world, make them care about these characters, and then give the conflict. And they just try to do too much in that movie. I mean they had Hector Hammond and Parallax and parallaxes like endgame that's like that's like way like way down the lap. Yeah yeah, and as the first thing, and he's beaten super quick, and it's just like you don't really get a chance to really get the stakes, and and they didn't really do enough to introduce people into the fact, oh, these are like like space cops and this is like that type of stuff. So there was so much more that they had to do. But how do you do that in.
Speaker 4: Like two hours?
Speaker 2: Whereas our show we had you know, twenty six episodes to do it, So we had a lot more of a time to roll roll this out and explore all the different spectrum colors.
Speaker 1: I was wondering, did they did they get into the green lantern universe of the core?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the different They're like, oh yeah, you know, you met a lot of other lanterns. You met Guy Gardner, who was expertly portrayed by d Drich Bader. Ye kill a wog was Kevin Michael wins O. But you also saw the red lanterns. You saw, you saw the orange lanterns or well Larflee's, and then you saw you saw no yellow lanterns.
Speaker 1: Though I can't because they because yellow is his nemesis.
Speaker 2: I want to say there was. They did have an opisode about a yellow ring. It's been a while since I've since I've gotten Yes, I think the only one we never we we had blue lanterns. I think the only one that we ever didn't see what No, there was a yellow lantern episode. The only one that we never saw was black and that one was touched upon in the very last episode. You see him kind of like looking at these books and you see the Book of Black right there, So it's kind of like previewed that that was going to be in there, gone on more season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they couldn't really do a book of white because that would just be a flashlight. Sure, it's not the same. It's just not the same. Oh man, that's good stuff. Well you good playing superheroes. Oh, thank you. I mean, there's no doubt about that. But the Human Torch too.
Speaker 2: Really, that was a long time ago. That was like that in what ultimate a line? I want to Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was like when video when video games were just starting to have voice acting, and uh that that went beyond like just grunts and stuff. Where where they beyond grunts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the name of your autobiography, right, beyond grunts, Beyond grunts.
Speaker 4: That's actually that's not bad.
Speaker 2: That's still that's not bad.
Speaker 4: Josh, beyond grunts, beyond guns.
Speaker 3: But you guys, you share another commonality. You're both in bands back.
Speaker 1: In the day.
Speaker 2: It's true, that's true, that's true.
Speaker 3: What did you play?
Speaker 2: I was in a boy band, so I played myself. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you did dancing and everything, did dancing and everything.
Speaker 2: And I'm not I wasn't like a dancer growing up. I was always real self conscious. And the thing about boy bands is that it's less about how good of a singer you are art most of the time and more about like just the performance. So if you're like a great dancer and like a mediocre singer, you're gonna have a better chance over somebody who can't dance for shit and is a great singer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I actually auditioned for this group twice. The first time I didn't get in because like I wasn't that great of a singer and I couldn't dance to save my life. So after that, I ended up being in a gospel group for like three or four years. But I was like the only I was like one of the only like sambourine here, and I mean I'm Latino, but I I read Caucasian. But yeah, like I I basically learned how to sing in that group. And that's where I really learned my love for like R and B music and soul music and and that's, uh, that's great, and that's that's what I ended up like gravitating towards. That's still what I love to this day. But I remember after that group kind of fell apart, I ended up auditioning for this group again, and one of the lead singers I guess had left and got in and and I ended up becoming one of the lead singers, much to the chagrin of the now sole lead singer, who now had to give up half his parts to me. He never really liked me. It was called No Authority, and I always hated the name because I know, like it was it was thought up by one of the guys in the group, and he was super you know, he had this this aura of being like, you know, really rebellious, and he thought it was like nobody has authority over us and all that, Like this really just sounds like we have no power, so it sounds like we have no authority.
Speaker 1: Either that or a guy named Noah who's from Italy, Noah oh Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I always hated the name, but I had a great time in that group. I will say, but it heads with with the other lead singer a lot. But I mean we were we were teenagers. We were we were all trying to figure out who we were and establish ourselves.
Speaker 1: And it was a terrible way to meet girls.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, just terrible. Yeah, we're worried about you. It was, I mean, it was great. I got to see the world. Yeah, to make some some great music. We worked with this producer named Rodney Jerkins, who ended up going on to produce pretty much all of Destiny's Child's hits, Brandy Monica all of their hits, produced stuff for Michael Jackson. He's still making music, I mean, and he was nineteen when he produced our album. So I mean we made we and our record, Like I've gone back and listened to it and it's still a great record.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like is there anywhere online we can find it?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, actually, and there's actually two because I left the group after the first after the first album because the manager was was a crook and uh that really yeah, like I just couldn't work for him anymore.
Speaker 4: I've never heard of that in the record industry.
Speaker 2: There are you sucked, man, And the thing, the thing that really sucked is that like he he basically kind of like smeared me to the rest of the bandmates, and I left because my problems were with him, and he went and told them that I was like high on my own farts and that thought I was better than all of them and that I was going to go solo, and and like he basically turned like like the one that that was the other lead singer. We always had kind of we always didn't mess with yea, so it was very easy to kind of turn him against me. But there was another one in the group that was like my buddy in the group, and he ended up doing a complete one eighty because he bought the kool aid who drank the kool aid that my manager was selling and and ended up like talking all kinds of shit about me to fans and like all this stuff, and that one kind of that one kind of hurt because I was like, you were you were like my boy in the group. And then I'm still friends with another one in the group, my buddy Danny so and and the funny, the funny thing is is that the guy that replaced me in the group, I like the guy.
Speaker 4: We're friends. That's cool, dude, Yeah, well it's funny.
Speaker 1: The guy you didn't get along with is a hell of a la here at So it's not.
Speaker 2: I can't even it's not far and I can't even, I can't even go there.
Speaker 1: But he can park the hell out of a car, I'll tell you that. So that's what you what you get when you messed with Josh, you got that folks.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean it was it was still it was still a lot of fun. So, yeah, you're asking if he could find it online. There's two albums. The one that I'm in has like a red cover. It's called Keep On and uh yeah there's and you'll see me like pouting because apparently I got the reputation as the bad boy in the group, even though I was the furthest thing from a bad boy, because I was a freaking boy scout, like literally, but I was always real self conscious about my smile as a teenager, and I never wanted a smile in pictures. So because of that, I was always like serious in pictures, and you're the brooding bad boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's funny, that's funny.
Speaker 2: That's all the most innocent bad boy ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, so you always wanted to be in show business or entertainment, you.
Speaker 2: Know what's funny? No, No, Like, because I grew up I have three sisters. My older sister was the one that was like first put into it. My parents got me into it, and it was just kind of by the time she was into it, they had spent so much time with her. I mean I was probably four, Yeah, she was like maybe even maybe even younger. Yeah, so but it was just kind of like that's what we did because she had dance classes, she had singing classes. At that time, I wanted to do other things, like we would every time we would drive to her dance classes, we had to drive over this hill and there's like a big beautiful baseball diamond off off like the mountain road that we had to go on, and it was like field of dreams, Oh wow, and we passed by it every time. I'm like, I want to play baseball. I want to play but there was no time for that because we had dance classes and all. So it's like if I wanted to do anything, I kind of.
Speaker 3: Had to do this. It's like the opposite of step up, right, and so this is like this.
Speaker 2: What was expected of me. You know you you're going to do this. And so at the time, like I didn't really want to do it, but over the time, like I grew to love it, and then there there there came a point in my life where I was like I can't really imagine myself doing anything else, and and by that time I had grown to really really love it. And there's still other things that I enjoy like I also, I loved space. I wanted to be an astronaut, like I wanted to do all kinds of other stuff. I'd still love to go to space.
Speaker 3: They're not like they're selling flights these that that's in space.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's a ride, that's like, that's like going.
Speaker 3: I got shredded on ready because I was like, why are people hating on Katy Perry so much? Like she got to go to outer space? And I get all these comments. Yeah, they're dropping terminology on that. That's all I know. That's a person in sci fi. I don't know it's a rich person. I don't know the classifications of space.
Speaker 4: I wanted to fall from there.
Speaker 3: I mean, I said, that's like three times higher than a commercial flight, Like come on.
Speaker 2: But the thing that amazing is that they're like calling themselves astronauts, and I'm like, dude, you are so spitting in the face of every actual astronaut that is actually.
Speaker 3: Actual astronauts even care though they're.
Speaker 2: Like probably not, but I mean all care for them because that's a lot of schooling whatever inner space or whatever, that astronomy in the same category as astro Like I cringed so hard I almost disappeared into my own It was. It was crazy, man, Like I was like, come on, dude, this is and I think that so many people were like united in that sentiment where they really.
Speaker 3: Didn't see Yeah, and when.
Speaker 2: They started calling themselves astronauts and yeah, just well have you ever been to space? I was like, get out of here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't go back to not space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, go back to Shatnerville.
Speaker 2: He was up there, wasn't he.
Speaker 3: Yeah he was on the the first one. Yeah, he was on the first one with Bezos. And he's out there. This is off topic, but whatever, we're on this. Ye, he's out there and they just land back, you know, and they're all in their suits and he's trying to give this profound statement about what space was like. And the Bezos comes in with a bottle of champagne, spraying it with all these hoo cheeser happened. Oh what a moment, So profound.
Speaker 2: Amazing, amazing. It could be risky.
Speaker 3: Hey man, though the average person is going to be terrified to go up that high in an aircraft. I'll tell you that. That's I've seen people praying in minor turbulence.
Speaker 4: I'd absolutely me too.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't parachute back, no, no, no, there might be a little.
Speaker 2: Though, like they didn't even really go high enough to really escape.
Speaker 3: They were like waitless though, they didn't really I.
Speaker 2: Mean you could do that with a flight you see one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how they filmed the comet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they fly the botic arc right, yeah, still in the atmosphere. But I mean that capsule didn't even look like it had any kind of burn marks from re entry.
Speaker 3: So that's what I was curious about. The atmosphere, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think, because yeah, that the capsule looked like it.
Speaker 1: How come you didn't catch fire? That's are just supposed to catch fire.
Speaker 2: I mean even caps those those are all they're all charge. That's right. It is a crazy yeah.
Speaker 3: Crazy time we're living in where people are just going to and from outer space. Elon Musk pretty much has an intergalactic trucking company, like just sending these rockets up and downs. Pretty wild, pretty wild.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't mind it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, back onto the topic of you.
Speaker 2: Me more me? That's right.
Speaker 3: So you were raised English as in your first language.
Speaker 2: No, actually, my mother's Peruvians from Lima and so we my dad sometimes would work. He would work two sometimes three jobs. My mom also worked, so a lot of times we were with our grandparents. Are I would this and so. Yeah, So Spanish was pretty much the first thing I spoke with them. Interesting, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And then I'm guessing just being you know, around like your classmates and teachers and everything, there's no accent because that's how you spoke normally, you know, just in person.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing yeah, yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 3: Not normally, but like you spoke English around, yeah, well, because I mean I was.
Speaker 2: I always grew up with both My dad's an English teacher. Yeah, oh yeah, I mean their pronunciation was drilled into my head from a very very young age, even speaking English like the first actually it's not the first job I ever got, but like I remember the Back to the Future animated series. That was probably like nine when I got that. And the reason that I got that was because as a nine year old I was able to just rattle off and I remember this to this day. Was I'm computing the logarithmic equivalents of the atomic weights of certain isotopes found in the Lanthanide series of rare Earth elements.
Speaker 3: I bet you were fine.
Speaker 2: Parts.
Speaker 4: I was just I was just going to say that.
Speaker 2: And I actually knew what that meant because I was a big periodic table person when I was nine. Wow, Like I loved it. I was like, this is so cool, this is all everything that makes.
Speaker 3: Everything that is so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was a huge, huge nerd. Oh I'm actually nerd.
Speaker 3: But it's funny how it's like nerdy when you're a kid, but then it's cool when you're an adult. That's funny how that stuff works absolutely like bland in a band, you know, playing in a band. Yeah, I saw it at least when I was young. I was like, I don't want to play an instrument, and it's like I wish I played.
Speaker 2: For an instrument. Yeah, yeah, Yeah, it's not a tuba you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I bet there's somebody on social media making a living doing some tuba thing, you know.
Speaker 2: I actually went to the Roast Parade for the first time this year, and like usually especially hate parades, and but my if your sister, well no, I wasn't in it. I want to say, but my sister lives literally like maybe six hundred feet from the parade route. Ohez, So like if you have to go to the bathroom. You just go to her house. Oh that works. When you've got a park, you park right in her in her garage.
Speaker 3: So it's great.
Speaker 2: Like all the things that I hate about, like huge crowd stuff like no bat no parking. It midigated. So there was this There was this high school band from Japan and I want to say it was an all girls school. Oh wow. They were incredible and they they made playing a tuba while marching look awesome because they were like they were like dancing with the two Yeah. Yeah, yeah. We were like towards the end of the route and I'm like, they've been doing this for miles and they still had the same kind of energy. I was like, I don't know how how they did this. They were they were incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well they're a.
Speaker 2: Lot lighter nowadays too. They would have had to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah they had because I mean, yeah.
Speaker 2: I've played saxophone and you tube was easily twice that size, and yeah, it can even imagine marching with that. Yeah yeah. And it wasn't even the wrap around the suzophone kind of it was like like a lick a legit tub.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, you had you were lift weightlifting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where you're you're holding that bole.
Speaker 1: It was wrapped around you. You were not you know, it was holding you too. Yeah, yeah I remember those.
Speaker 2: Can you hug?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I bet that makes it harder to play. You've got to control your breath way more. And yeah, yeah, you never even thought about that.
Speaker 2: You're marching, you're dancing, you're doing it in line right, or you're doing it in sync with everybody else. Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: That's just crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I that gave me a whole new respect for marching bands, because I mean I've seen marching bands, but like I was like right in front of them. It's one thing to see it on TV, and its one thing to like actually hear the sound of the band right there, like feet from it.
Speaker 3: With a lot of things in life, with a lot of things, it's a lot different to experience something in sports like first hand.
Speaker 2: I can't watch sports on TV. Yeah, I can't get into it. And I think one of the main reasons is is, like I would love it if in order to play for a team you had to be from that city, because then you would actually see like city versus city. It was super cool New York Miami, right now it's just mercenaries for rich people. It's like, Okay, this is this rich guys team. This is this rich guys team.
Speaker 1: Well, the Brooklyn Dodgers, that's what they were from Brooklyn. Yeah, they were a bunch of guys from Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: I feel like if the stakes are higher, when it's like this hood versus this hood, yeah that would be really cool. But that being said, when you actually go to see a game, it's it's a lot of fun. Like they had this father's son event for my well, both my kids go to the same school, but for for they had a father son event and it was at Angel Stadium, and so I took my son to see a baseball game. And neither of us really watched sports or into sports, but it was fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially baseball, I thinks.
Speaker 2: And we sat and we watched, and you know, he didn't this is the first time with anything with baseball. So I was explaining the game to him and saying, okay, this is this is, uh, you know what happens when they get three outs and this is what makes it out and this is when they're pitching. And then when there's this one there's this one part where like the ball actually like the pitcher actually hit the battle he actually hit the batter, and then the batter actually returned one of the hits and hit the pitcher in the same place. It was crazy, you know. It was like it's like instant karma right there. I was like, well, this is this is why you come to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's funny that.
Speaker 2: That's kind of fun stuff. So that is good.
Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Tim Cumming, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at patreon dot com Slash Jim Cummings podcast Do It Now.
Speaker 3: Do you guys remember the first time you worked on a project together? You guys have worked on quite a few projects, or at least been in the same I think the.
Speaker 2: Thing that we worked on the most together was Splatterhouse. Oh yeah, because we were both the leads in that game. He was the mask and I was the vessel for the mask, the guy that puts on the mask. Yeah, I talk you know.
Speaker 1: I've signed a ton of those at conditions and yeah, that's still a cult favorite game unbelievable, worked on stuff before the Yeah, yeah, well, you know, I've kind of guested on your shows. I've been the Hammerhead or a couple of Spidy villains over the year. I think I've got some written downer so more.
Speaker 2: But I know we did.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well, rush your Hogan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crush your hogan. Oh yeah, you were the the that's exactly right in Yeah, in my favorite episode of Spectacular.
Speaker 1: Spider Man and mine too because the black and white I was in it.
Speaker 4: It was Yes, that's what did it for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, crush your Hogan, all those, all those sort of like b villains of Yeah, Marvel Universe.
Speaker 3: Marvel Superhero Squad, uh, the Finnity Gauntlet, You're Spider Man and Jim was Thanos super super Yes, I feel like that's supposed to say super Skull.
Speaker 2: Scroll scroll scroll excuse me, scrolls scrulls.
Speaker 3: Leave me alone in the comments.
Speaker 2: They're cooking you already, man.
Speaker 3: Yeah man, well, yeah, so did you guys record these together in the booth or it was kind of like I wanted a seven deal.
Speaker 2: On Spider House not every time, but there were a couple of sessions where we were together in the Boy, and then there were some times where we weren't together but Jim had already recorded and so they would play me his lead in I would get to actually react.
Speaker 3: That helps. You must have been pretty young. You look like a young guy to me.
Speaker 2: No, I'm forty six.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's pretty young.
Speaker 2: Well that's still pretty long, long of.
Speaker 3: A career that you've had.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean i've been I've been acting. I've been in the Union since I was four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I've been.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Yeah, I've been. I've been in the Union for more than Yeah. It feels weird to say that.
Speaker 3: Man's it's especially in your forty.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 1: We've been in the Union the same time, but I'm like forty years older than you.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 4: So this is knucking futs.
Speaker 2: It's been crazy. And the thing is is, like I remember always when when we were still at DPMDPN, Yeah, there was like I would look I would look to guys like you as like the living legends. It's like like you guys were like the old guard. Oh there you go. And and so I remember going in to read at the office with you guys and hearing you guys tell stories and stuff and oh yeah, and I was like the young guy. Sure, I was like the young guy. And it's just funny just running into all my old guard friends who I've still stayed friends with, like you, Dan, Jiloviazan and all that, and they still looked at me like the young guy when there's I'm probably the age that you guys were, well I met you guys probably, yeah, and it's just yeah, that's about right. But I don't feel like that time has passed. I don't feel like I'm that much older.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I am. It's just weird, I know what you mean. Pop Stars always do that to me. It's like when you see this new pop star and it's like, oh, they're like twenty one years old, like you just you know that meme. There's a saving private Ryan just getting older in real time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Man, there's weird people them where you feel like you're never going to grow old and then like you are and yeah, just crazy.
Speaker 1: Well that that's how it went for me. I went like being into business. I was very very fortunate. I blessed that I got my first job, and then I never ever did it, never lagged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I went.
Speaker 1: From working full time in the video store to working full time in this thing. So I didn't have a transition period. And I remember thinking, you know that, gosh, I'm whatever age I was, the late twenties or right at thirty, thinking I'm the youngest guy out here, and it's this and it's that. And I went from like being the youngest guy to being the veteran. And I couldn't even tell you when it happened. It was like it was overnight. Well wait are you sure?
Speaker 4: Wait I'm the veteran.
Speaker 2: Damn. Okay, all right, well it's crazy.
Speaker 1: I guess that means I'm still working, so I'll take it. Yeah, you know, beats beats dying.
Speaker 2: Sure does, Sure does. So far, it's wild. The passage of time is cruel and fascinating and it's uh, it's wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it fascinating, you get I think fascinating is the perfect word for you. Yeah, because especially like hearing like young kids talk shit on like a video game or something, it's like you're gonna be old one.
Speaker 2: Dah you will, like you will?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you better hope you're gonna be old, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I promise you you will.
Speaker 3: I was one of those young shit talkers too, man, like I'd be on the video games year old you Die. I was a kid like you ones playing sports, you know, and you make fun of somebody for being like twenty three, it's like you're old. Yeah, here twenty three.
Speaker 1: I remember when I was a kid that was the who. You know, the Who, the Beatles of Stones, the Who had a song called my Generation People try to put us down and one of the lines was, hohope I die before I gain old toe game by my generation. And I was thinking, I don't know about that part about dying. Yeah I'm thirty. I think I'll kill myself. No, no, no, no, I'll wait for thirty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: And now it's like, yeah, let me know.
Speaker 1: When you run into a you know, who wants to be one hundred, a guy who's ninety nine, that's.
Speaker 4: Who wants to be absolutely you know. That's the how about that?
Speaker 2: I want to say, My kids keep me young because like they're constantly reintroducing me to everything that is like current and fresh and oh yeah, and I get to see, you know what what kids are like these days. But then right when I start to get a little bit more confident, I was like, I was just kind of like my son was sitting on the couch playing video games and I just come up and I just start like mugging in his face, and I was like, Yo, check this out. And I just started doing the stupid dance, just some stupid dance. I literally threw my back out. Oh, I threw my back out. And it wasn't even anything that was crazy acrobatic or anything like that. It was like it was stupid.
Speaker 4: It was like it was just like you were dancing.
Speaker 2: And I was literally just like doing this with like like like a weird look on my face, and and all of a.
Speaker 4: Sudden, I was like and the weird look.
Speaker 2: And it was bad for like two weeks almost doctor, because I was like, did I really do something bad? Because it should this be hurting after all the time.
Speaker 4: That's that's the something that would happen to me, Like, what what is that?
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Forties of Well, you know, I'd rather have a ship ton of birthdays than one funeral.
Speaker 4: That's true, because you only get one one of those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'll put that one off with that party. Make it good, yeah, make it a good one. Yeah okay, and yeah.
Speaker 2: Taxidermy up in the front, and I'll just be like, you know, to.
Speaker 1: One of my old my old goals was because you know, every now and I mean, one of our legends dies and of course, you know, melt Blank or Paul Freeze or whatever you and then there's a rush to replace these characters. And one of my goals I can remember from from day one was, Okay, when I eventually die, you know, like when I'm a hundred, I want eighteen people to get a gig because they all go and can go out and fill one of my one of my roles, you know, yeah.
Speaker 4: All the guys who came and said I could.
Speaker 1: Now you're number one, assuming you weren't older and are already dead. So yeah, that's that's my goal. That's what I'm hoping for. Maybe somebody, maybe someday you'll be Winny the Pooh, I would love that.
Speaker 2: I have to learn. I'd be queath it unto you. I grew up listening to you. Yeah, oh yeah, that was a big Winnie the Poof fan. Yeah, you have like to read along books, the ones that came with the cassette. Oh yes, yes, well I hope you bought tons of them. I did.
Speaker 4: I probably mean I still listen to.
Speaker 2: Those even, like I mean, honestly, that's probably one of the reasons I got into voiceover, was just like listening to so many of those, and I I they were just a comfort to me. Like I listened to those even when I was like like a teenager. Sometimes if I couldn't get to bed, I'd throw on like a Winnie the Poop and just bore you to sleep. Yeah, it's just comforting. Yeah, yeah, no, I agree. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you share that with your kids as well? Like is this something that you've passed?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, well they they listened. They they love to listen to stuff, my son especially, and I mean I would read to them a lot when they were and they're both very avid readers. I mean my daughter reads it like it's good levels in she's in fifth grade. She reads at twelfth grade. My son reads I think at like tenth and he's in third. Wow. But again, like I started them really really early, so from the time they were cognizant, I was reading to them.
Speaker 4: And I would read that my mom gave me. That's a gift. It's my mom did that for me.
Speaker 1: I could read it five I showed up in first grade and and the nuns liked me temporarily took a couple of years later not so much, but right then there.
Speaker 2: Oh he can read. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And then, of course, you know, they had all taught my mom Saint Sally. You may have heard of her, God Rest nrs. And they expected me to be a good kid because she was. And that part didn't work out so well.
Speaker 4: But the reading, I was.
Speaker 2: Fine, you're good, yeah good, yeah, no, I mean yeah yeah, And they would those are great for teaching kids to read, because just the meeter and the rhyme and all that and the absolute silliness of what they're talking about makes it very memorable. So like they would memorize the story that was being read, and I would notice my son he would go back and he would start looking over the book, having now memorize it because I had read to it, read to him so often that now he'd be kind of going through and reciting the appropriate words for the appropriate page. And then that just makes the connection, Oh, these are the words that I'm reading. So pretty much through that figured out how to read. And once I could see that they could read and sound stuff out, I'm like, well, why stick with this? Why not read some more advanced stuff. So I always loved rawal doahll, So I was like, let's let's read THEFG you know, not even thinking about the fact that, hey, this is the book about the giants that eat children and crunch on their phones like the five. But yeah, I started having my daughter read this stuff and that's tasty, kid. Yeah, oh god. Yeah. So then they they ended up and I would read it to them with the voices and all that, and then I know what's start having them read it back to.
Speaker 1: Me, traumatizing them one book at a time, one book at a time. Oh, that's wonderful, that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Are they? Are they showing any inkling of following in debt.
Speaker 2: Some of it? Basically like, I don't ever want to push it on them because I feel like when I was growing up it was pushed on me. And so I've told them like, if this isn't something you want to do, you don't have to do it. Oh what, I'm like, it's there's a lot less competition right now. There you have somebody who can help you. You are already repped by one of the best agents in business. So I'm like, you know you can. It'll make your life easier if you have savings from the time they did. They're both union members because they've both worked enough to be part of the union. Oh that's great. So yeah, I mean my daughter during COVID, my daughter actually worked quite a bit because at that time, like I already had a studio. It happened for ten years already, and this was when people were rushing to do home studios because that's the only way that they could work. Yeah, so she did. She actually did a couple episodes of Spidey and his Amazing Friends.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: And and it was cute because she sounds totally different. Now now she can pronounce her ours no problem, but back then she couldn't pronounce her ours. And I said, don't worry about it, because you know, this takes place in New York and just you're a little New Yorker, so when she's saying it's Spidy's web shooter, it's not like you're from from the city. That's great, great, yeah, so but yeah, just going back and listening to that, that's cute. And I'm very open and honest with them about, you know what, the money that they'll make on all that. I'm like, this is what a residual is. I'm like this, you're you see, you're getting this and this is something you did like three years ago and you're getting a little bit of money from that. And yeah, the more of this you can do, the more of this adds up.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always want to. It was weird, like my parents did all of that, so I kind of went into adult life with like a kid's set of social and financial skills and had to learn a lot very quickly. And I don't ever want them to be like that. Like, I'm very open with them about this is what you make, this is what the structure is, how much you pay your agent, this is how all that works when taxes come around. I'm very very open with them about, Okay, now this is what you have to do, this is how much you have to pay, this is what it's all that. So, but but some of it's going to stick. And the more I talk to them about it, the more of a of a mind they're going to have for the fact that this is still show business, you know, and and that there's a business to everything, and the more verse you are in this side of it, the easier your life is going to Yeah yeah, because they don't have classes in school that teach you that kind of stuff like just life skills about you know, show my agure, but balancing a checkbook, but balancing balancing at a bank account or or you know, filing your taxes or knowing.
Speaker 1: For you that you have so much money you have to hire an accountant. There you go, absolutely, that's that's the way to go it. Yeah, that's the goal. That is the goal.
Speaker 2: Man, oh man.
Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast.
Speaker 2: Do it now?
Speaker 3: All right, Well, I think it's time for a voice swap. What do you think?
Speaker 1: Oh, this is true, It's so true.
Speaker 3: This is a little game we play, little game we play. It's pretty straightforward, but somehow I always managed to screw it up. Okay, So Jim will do a voice of one of his characters, okay, and then you will do that same line, but in a voice of one of your characters, and then we'll swap vice versa.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, there we go.
Speaker 4: That sounds good, so.
Speaker 3: Se, So wait, what if we do two characters from in the same show. Oh, do you still remember the voice of Scroll?
Speaker 1: I think sort of. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: Or Thanos? I know you remember Thanos?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Thanos I do?
Speaker 3: And Spider Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do okay. Oh no, I gotta think of a likely line.
Speaker 3: Well, you do a Spider Man line and then we'll just do it back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: Oka, say my name and I magically appear. Say my name and I magically appear.
Speaker 1: I don't have that kind of depth, but I'll try.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was tritoned into the last two okay movies. So let's see supastioned sebastioned.
Speaker 2: They have not one brain among them, and I do the same one. Uh huh.
Speaker 4: As from as one of you.
Speaker 2: You okay, Sebastian, Sebastian one. They have not one brain among them? Okay, I'll do it as iron Man Sebastian. Sebastian, they have not one brain among them.
Speaker 1: Well Tony Stark has a lot of He's got enough brains for everybody he does.
Speaker 2: That is so freaking awesome.
Speaker 3: Wait, can you do what as iron Man for me? Just a little personal? Can you say, uh, Jarvis maximum pulse that family of four?
Speaker 2: Jarvis maximum pulse, that family of four? Yeah, that that one right there.
Speaker 4: At all.
Speaker 2: I want to see it later when I'm having shwarma.
Speaker 3: That when you do that voice, do you put some of Robert Downey Junior in it?
Speaker 2: You kind of have to, Like, I'm not trying to voicematch him, because like they when I first got hired for that, they it's funny like they didn't necessarily want to Rob Downey Junior voice match because there's somebody that does it way better than I do. My friend McK winger is like the official Robert Downey Junior voice match and he can sound literally just like him. You close your eyes, you wouldn't know it's not RDJ in front of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But even though I'm not necessarily trying to be him, it's He's defined that.
Speaker 3: Character exactly like exactly.
Speaker 2: So it is kind of disingenuous to not really have I mean, there's there's a lot of just his dismissiveness and and the fact that he could just go and be talking and talking and then just immediately switch to something else. And uh, it's it's more just in certain mannerisms and attitude that he carries that I've now kind of associated with that character. And so yeah, so I mean just popping some of that stuff in there helps it still identify to people who are very familiar with that Iron Man and just put it in that spirit.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean, I personally think it's one of the best performances in the game. I think you, I think you. James Arnold Taylor is Magneto. That's he does a great job. And I forget his name, but he plays no more.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I just I just saw him.
Speaker 3: He does a great job.
Speaker 2: He did like a Marvel rival signing over at one of my convention agents and he was there. I just met him. And what is his name? I'm gonna look it up because it's gonna bother me. And he was so sweet, he was so nice, and I don't I'm horrible with names. It's like a week. I'm usually not. Let me see, I'll look.
Speaker 1: Him up right now, talk amongst yourselves out there, folks. We're doing research. This is top notch, highly professional research.
Speaker 2: Here it is.
Speaker 3: And he's a younger guy. He's a younger guy, if I'm not mistaken, My sweet.
Speaker 2: Susan Daniel Daniel Marin, Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, no more more, man. That game is. That game is a blast. You should really you should stream that game.
Speaker 2: I do want to play it. You have one viewer A wa yeah, sweet, because right now I've mainly been streaming World of Warcraft.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, which is another thing.
Speaker 2: I mean I've played that thing.
Speaker 3: You've been playing that for a while, right, twenty years?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an old game and it's still awesome. Yeah, and I'm King of the Alliance in that and I had already been playing for like eight years before I even auditioned to be in the game.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you believe in the law of attraction?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seems like you've manifested a lot of things with that one.
Speaker 2: Like when I got the audition for that, I was cocky as hell because I was like, I don't care who they get to audition for this. There's nobody in this town who has played this game more than I have. Yeah, because I'd literally played the character that I had been playing at the time. I mean I had maybe four months of in game time, like months, twenty four hours, Like if you were to take all my in game put it all together, really four months of my life.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, Now are you are you hip to Lord Walker Chow in that game?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, did you Iwalker?
Speaker 2: That's amazing, And they're actually they're bringing because what they do they have retail Wow, which is like the most current expansion, but then they've been also doing Wow Classic, which is older expansions that you play as they were, and Pandaria is the next minute Classic and that that actually was the first expansion that I was in. That's where I started as.
Speaker 4: And the mists of Yeah, have you ever been down there?
Speaker 2: It's a Blizzard too. Oh yeah, I mean is that place insane?
Speaker 1: It's super cool, unbelievable if you guys ever get a big statue, unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Apparently it's kind of profitable to be in that business.
Speaker 2: Oh only slightly, I guess, just a.
Speaker 4: Little little bit yeah, very small.
Speaker 1: What is it ten times more than Major Motion Pictures.
Speaker 3: The last I saw it was up to like four and a half. Yeah, it's crazy four and a half times.
Speaker 2: And they're not even at their like peak right now, Like their peak was was right before Minecraft came out. Yeah, like at that point that.
Speaker 3: I think it was crazy. For me personally, Fortnite was just insane the amount of money that game was Jared it was like twenty eighteen. I think they made like almost three billion dollars in one year.
Speaker 2: Crazy, It's crazy for a.
Speaker 3: Freezer play game. And just like blew my mind. I was like what, like, yeah, they're having live concerts and stuff in this game, Like, what is going on here? What kind of game is this? Wow?
Speaker 4: I got to get this off my chest.
Speaker 1: Years in, I mean twenty something years ago, when when video games were first starting to weasel their way in there was something Gabriel Knight, Tim Curry was in and this and that, and I remember going to two SAG after meetings and we had just first they were if you can actually believe this out there they were going, oh, well we're not going to worry about cable TV. Listen, we got MBC. We got ABC, we got CBS. There's a and then there's a PBS. We get a few nickels there, and so I went out cable Mabel.
Speaker 4: Okay, I was the only one.
Speaker 2: I go.
Speaker 4: If we don't, nothing comes out and then fails.
Speaker 3: Did I mean yet?
Speaker 1: You know remember the horseless carriages?
Speaker 2: I don't either, But apparently.
Speaker 1: Cars are doing okay as you know that they seem to be sticking around and they didn't know nobody listened.
Speaker 2: I feel like the Union has been so behind every single new technology as it comes out. With new media, yeah I still call new media, and it's like it's not new anymore. Yeah yeah, I mean with that, it just it sucks. It's like I love so many of the technological advances and so many of the business changes that have happened, like when they switch from like taxis to uber and where they go and just say, well, this is a new thing, so these contracts don't apply, and it's just basically a way of getting out of like all of their old stuff. Because if you look at the way that if you look at the way that new media is released now, it's released like week by week, just like like broadcasts used to be and now they have ads on it just like they had with broadcasts, and they can track the audience more than they can with broadcasts. But now you don't get the same kind of residuals that we did with broadcast TV, even though like you literally have to pay for that service. It's not even like a free to broadcast thing. It's just crazy like they're none of it's caught up. And then the fight that we're going through with AI and all of that in video games where we're on strikes still because I mean I had to walk away from there was a Triple A game. I obviously can't say what it was, but there's a Triple A game that I was one of the leads in and it was one of these ones that was kind of like on the fence where it was because for those that don't know, there's red tag games, which are like games that you cannot touch because they were striking those companies. They haven't even started production, they're completely struck. There's the green tagged ones. The green tagged ones are ones where they've actually signed an interim agreement. So even though we're on strike, they these particular games have agreed to our turn to come to yeah, to come to the table and agree by these rules and these protections. So we're like, okay, we'll work on those during the strike. And then they're the yellow Tag games. The yellow Tag games are ones that were started before the strike, so they were technically started under the old contract, and you can technically work on them. You're not going to get in trouble with the union by working on them. However, it does kind of undermine the strike because you're giving the the video game company's material to release to weather out the strike, and so you're kind of shooting yourself in your foot. And there are still some actors, like big actors, who are working these games and it's really not productive for anybody. But it's not are they You're you're not considered a scab, but but but you're not helping, You're you're actively harming, but you're taking home a paycheck, which I guess is their main concern. I walked away from this game where it was it was like a team of people, uh and I was one of the four and I don't I don't know who the fourth one was, but I remember a couple of friends mine. Again, I'm not going to say their names, mainly because NDAs and all that. But a couple of friends of mine were the other two two of the others in the squad, and they just kind of contacted me and said, are you're going to do this game because it's you know, we're we're thinking of withholding work on it. And when they said that, I was like, well, I'm not going to be the one that Yeah, you be.
Speaker 3: My buddies.
Speaker 2: So the three of us withheld work. I'm sure they probably still went through with production on that game. But and that that was a mocap game. Any sessions I was making well over scaled for that, so yeah, yeah, all that money gone. But if we have to fight this fight now, because if we don't, there's no there's no business. Like there's stated their stated goal. Their stated want is to be able to basically use anything that we've ever done, feeded into a machine and yes and never pass, not pass for anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's crazy, it's all.
Speaker 2: It's all built on theft.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I always say here, take this with the end.
Speaker 2: There you go, like if somebody did the calculation and if you were to act actually work into the cost of AI because they say, oh, it's cost savings and all that. If you were to work into the cost of AI, the cost of actually tracking everything that goes in to train the AI, and the cost of fairly compensating everybody who's stuff trained the AI, there's no cost savings. It's actually more expensive than to just hire the actual person.
Speaker 1: I've heard.
Speaker 2: I've heard people feed my voice into AI. There have been like mods that they've done where they put like my Spider Man voice into the Spider Man game. And the thing is is, like the AI can match my voice print. It can do that, but it doesn't match what I do. It doesn't match my acting with choices all that. Like when I listened to it, I heard it and they're they're modeling the Spider Man game that you're a Spider Man in. So I listened to it. It's my voice print, but it's still URI's acting. Still, it's still the way that he acts. There's nothing wrong with the way he acts, but it's not what I would So it's not really me. It's like a weird thing. It's not the choices that I would have made. Like I said, nothing against you, it's just but what this is, it's just my voice print for that, but that kind of further cements the fact that on its own, AI really has to have an actor underneath it to drive the voice. Print. Yes, the same way that like mocap, if I'm playing like a creature that looks nothing like me, it still has to have an actor underneath it, moving it and puppeting it and doing it all on that for it to be real and for it to feel.
Speaker 4: Like for you actually feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it still needs somebody to drive it. So at that point, like you're gonna have to still hire an actor to like drive the voice, So why not just cut up and it seems like acting with extra steps?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy to me, it's crazy, Yeah, unnecessarily.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My main concern is not what AI is capable of, it's what people are being trained to accept. Because when you go on TikTok, like a majority of this stuff on there is narrated by the same crappy AI voices. You know, you see so much of that kind of stuff, a lot of AI art, So it's like people have already had this stuff seeded into their mind for so long. My concern is like they're just gonna think it's good enough. Yeah, I was gonna're gonna think that the crap that AI can turn out on it's going to be the great. It's going too we're settling. Yeah, like it's it's good enough because that's what they've been trained to accept. So that's that's my concern. That's legit. Yeah, that's a very good that's a good point, the dumbing down. But I still exactly, but I still feel like there's still going to be a market for for for like, you know, actual actual creativity, actual acting.
Speaker 1: There always has to be a market for excellence. Yea, you know, there's always room for better, right, Absolutely, that's that's got.
Speaker 2: To be you know, knock on wood all that. Yeah, and if not, you know, I I like doing stuff around the house and doing electrical work. Maybe I'll get my electricians license and do that. You know, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: So listen, do you have anything you'd like to announce like an upcoming ben.
Speaker 2: I'm doing a ton of conventions this year. When is this going to air?
Speaker 3: About two weeks? Three weeks?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I will have already been at four State Comic con in Hagerstown, Maryland, which I'm doing this weekend. But that's going to be after this.
Speaker 3: I will be at Galaxy Con Oklahoma City on Oklahoma City.
Speaker 2: I will also be how about New Orleans, I will be at the New Orleans one.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'll be at that one as well, my second hometown.
Speaker 2: Are you going to be at that one? I don't know, but I hope you're there. I am too. Yes, absolutely, I'll take it to the palace. I would love that. I'm going to be doing a bunch of them. Just I'm gonna actually put together a list of the ones that they've cleared me to announce on my socials. So my socials will be on Twitter. I will always call it Twitter. Josh Keaton just Josh Keaton on Twitch, It's space Padre on Instagram at space Padre. On Facebook, it's Josh Keaton's page, and uh TikTok, it's v Josh Keaton because somebody already had Josh Keaton. I mean, I guess it's fair. Yeah, I know that I'm not the only one. Yeah, there's something I can't be too mad at other Josh Keaton. Yeah.
Speaker 4: There was a guy out.
Speaker 1: There named Jim Cummings and he was and he had a band, the Jim Cummings band, and that was really pissed me off a little.
Speaker 4: Wait, I'm not in that band.
Speaker 2: You should?
Speaker 3: I should?
Speaker 1: What the hell anyway? But yeah, he played bass. Anybody can play it. But you're also going to be at Chattanooga Comic Con. Yes, so you have, so I've done look at that. Yeah, and we've got your social media. Well, I think we mentioned that Josh Keaton or space Space that was.
Speaker 4: An interesting one. Space that one came from.
Speaker 2: It came from Voltron because I got nicknamed Space Dad from that because he was kind of like the leader of the team. He kind of was like the the oldest one of the group and so and so they kind of called him Space Dad. They actually called Hal Jordan in Green Lantern Space Dad as well, because he kind of like he kind of like had this this dadish vibe towards his ai Aya, who ended up taking on a humanoid form and was very protective of her. And so that's where I first got called Space Dad. But it really got popularized with Voltron, and uh, space Dad was already taken. So I'm latinos so I was like, well, let's let's do uh No, that's great, because I didn't I didn't want to do Papa, because then it would just like space Papa, which could also be like space Potato, which is actually kind of funny, and maybe space Potato. But I was like, by the way, space Jam was taken, Space Jam was definitely taken.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, Well, thanks for being here.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. Man.
Speaker 3: It's always good to see you.
Speaker 2: Always, good to see you.
Speaker 3: Yes, pleasure talking too.
Speaker 2: Nice to meet you. Yes, great to see all of you.
Speaker 3: And we have to get a picture before we go. Absolutely have to get a picture. Absolutely, But before that I will wrap this up. Thank you everybody for watching another episode of Tuned In with Jim Cummings, joined as always by Josh Keaton, not as always, but this time yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Hopefully always buy an amazing guest. This time it was Josh keatday.
Speaker 3: That's right. If you like this content, please be sure to like him subscribe. It tells the YouTube algorithm to recommend more stuff like this to you. And if you really like this content, there's bonus on Patreon. That's right. You can see these episodes a week early, and there's additional content that we release only on Patreon. There's merchandise giveaways. There's signing, giveaways, there's a whole bunch of stuff. Go check us out over there. If you want to buy some merchandise, you can go on Shopify to Jim Cummings closet and you can get some Winny the Poo shirts, Darkwing Duck, a whole bunch of cool stuff there. Am I leaving anything out? I don't think I am so.
Speaker 1: All the venues YouTube, Spotify, hammedahing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a sketch. We're big on edge of sketch.
Speaker 3: But yeah, other than that, thank you all for watching. We hope you enjoyed this episode and we'll see you in the next one.
Speaker 2: Hey, that was fun. Thank you that you brother,