Speaker 1: All right, dive enthusiasts, welcome back today. We're uh crack and open. Excerpts from a book that's all about getting hands on with electronics. Getting Started with Electronic Projects by Bill Pritty.
Speaker 2: That's right, And our mission, you know, in this deep dive is to go beyond just listing what's inside. We want to extract the real core knowledge, those surprising insights and practical takeaways.
Speaker 1: Stuff that anyone curious about building things with wires and components can really.
Speaker 2: Grab hold of, exactly starting simple, you know, and moving towards more complex systems.
Speaker 1: And this isn't just theory. It's built on some serious, real world experience. Bill Friddy's background is well pretty fascinating.
Speaker 2: It really is. Started in electronics back in the eighties, then telecom, aviation, r indeed defense work.
Speaker 1: And even found in his own technical security company. That kind of breath really shows through in the projects, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: It absolutely does. And the book's approach is I think perfect for learning.
Speaker 1: It builds step by step foundational skills first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then gets in hardware software and puts them together, and he uses mostly through hole components.
Speaker 1: The bigger ones much easier to handle when you're starting out.
Speaker 2: Definitely friendlier than those tiny surface mount things.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's unpack this. He starts right where you'd expect, simple hands on stuff to build those fundamentals.
Speaker 2: Soldering especially absolutely, the very first project is incredibly accessible. It's about modifying an expensive you know, off the shelf led flashlights or headlamps.
Speaker 1: And the core idea just swapping LEDs.
Speaker 2: Basically, Yeah, replace the visible white LEDs with infrared or IR LEDs, which give you invisible light exactly. The result is a truly practical application. You create these invisible light sources.
Speaker 1: Okay, but why what's the use case?
Speaker 2: Well, think about discrete lighting maybe for nature observation at night, or even some leash security or gaming scenarios where you only want light visible to certain cameras, right.
Speaker 1: Because a lot of cameras can see IR light even if our eyes can't, like black and white cameras and night vision stuff.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it's a spectrum trick, and it's cheap. The book says around five bucks per project.
Speaker 1: Wow, and you immediately practice key skills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, taking something apart, desoldering, soldering the new parts in. It's a perfect way to get comfortable with the iron right.
Speaker 1: Away, straight into the fundamentals with something you can actually use. Love it. What's the next big concept.
Speaker 2: He tackles, ah, A true cornerstone of electronics, the LM five five five time.
Speaker 1: Er ic, the five five five. Yeah, that thing's legendary but around since the seventies, right it.
Speaker 2: Has, and it's still incredibly popular, just so versatile, a real warhorse chip you see everywhere, and.
Speaker 1: The book uses it to show two really different things it can do. Yeah. First up, an infra red beacon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this builds on the ir LED idea but makes it flash. It uses the five to fifty five and it's as stable.
Speaker 1: Mode astable meaning unstable. Why you just keep switching exactly.
Speaker 2: It's free running like an oscillator, continuously switching on and off without needing an external trigger.
Speaker 1: And you control how fast it flashed.
Speaker 2: With just a few external parts, a couple of resistors and a capacitor. They set the timing, the flash rate, the onof.
Speaker 1: Duration, simple components controlling the chip's brain.
Speaker 2: Well, the chip has some clever internal bits, comparators and an RS flip flop, which is basically the simplest kind of digital memory. It just remembers a.
Speaker 1: State, so changing those resistor values changes the whole flashing pattern. That really shows how you customize a chip's behavior.
Speaker 2: It does, and even the case is simple using common plumbing pipe parts. The insight isn't the specific size, but using easy to find stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's a stable mode making it flash. Yeah, how does he use the same chip for the motion alarm? That sounds completely different.
Speaker 2: It is a completely different setup, often called a modified monastable mode. And what's fascinating is it doesn't even use the full five five five. It basically just uses the internal RS flip.
Speaker 1: Flop part, just a piece of the chip. How does that become a motion sensor?
Speaker 2: It's triggered mechanically a simple mercury switch, kind of like the tilt sensors and old car alarms.
Speaker 1: Uh okay, like a little blob of mercury rolling around. Yeah.
Speaker 2: When motion disturbs it, the switch momentarily grounds the five fIF five's trigger input. That pulse sets the RS flip flop, drives the output high, and bang turns on a buzzer.
Speaker 1: So instead of oscillating, it just waits and when tilted, it fires once the buzzer stays.
Speaker 2: On, stays on until it's reset. Yeah again, common pipe for the case, keep it hidden, and nice practical touches like a little diode for a verse polarity protection.
Speaker 1: Similar things that make it more robust. Definitely, it really hammers home the versatility of that five point fifty five flashing beacon. One minute hid an alarm the next, same chip, just connected differently. Amazing.
Speaker 2: Moving on, the book then transitions into projects that combine the physical electronics with computing power. This is where things get really interesting. I think creating custom instruments.
Speaker 1: Right, like turning your computer into an ascilloscope using its sound card. I remember hearing about that.
Speaker 2: It's a brilliant concept in its simplicity, isn't it? Using the an a digital conversion that's already built into most computers. Though the author does recommend using an external USB sound card.
Speaker 1: Why external better quality.
Speaker 2: Better quality generally, and it avoids any risk of accidentally damaging your main computers built in sound hardware safer makes sense.
Speaker 1: But there's a frequency limit, right. Sound cards aren't super fast.
Speaker 2: Correct, You're limited by the sampling rate. The Nyquist theorem tells us you can only accurately measure frequencies up to half that rate. So yeah, it's not for high frequency RF stuff.
Speaker 1: But okay for audio frequencies, maybe some lower speed digital signals.
Speaker 2: Exactly perfectly capable for a lot of hobbyist electronics. But and this is key, you can't just plug your circuit straight into the sound card.
Speaker 1: You need an interface, ah, some hardware in between.
Speaker 2: Why protection protection, yes, but also signal conditioning. This interface hardware does a few things. If you use the sound card to generate signals, there's an output buffer to isolate the card, okay, But for using it as a scope, the input section is crucial. It uses things like oppams to give you high input impedance.
Speaker 1: Meaning it doesn't mess with the circuit you're trying to.
Speaker 2: Measure precisely, it doesn't load it down. It also usually includes AC.
Speaker 1: Coupling, which removes any steady DC voltage. Let's you focus on the changing.
Speaker 2: Signal, right and sure as only the AC part gets analyzed. And the book also mentions handling standard aciliscope probes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the X one and X ten settings.
Speaker 2: Yes. Scope robes often have that X ten setting, which cuts the signal by ten but increases impedance. The DIY hardware includes circuitry to compensate for that attenuation, so the reading.
Speaker 1: On the screen is correct regardless of the probe setting.
Speaker 2: That's the idea, keeps the level consistent for the sound card. There's also a neat trick mentioned, using a voltage reference and capacitors to shift the signal so it fits within the sound card's input range, then removing that offset later. Clever stuff.
Speaker 1: So you build this interface, plug in your USB sound card, connect it all up.
Speaker 2: Then what software, yep, software is where the magic really happens. The book mentions several options, and these aren't just basic scope displays.
Speaker 1: Oh what else can they do?
Speaker 2: Many add powerful features signal generators so your setup can create test signals, audio spectrum analyzers to see the frequency content.
Speaker 1: Like seeing the different notes in a sound sort of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even things like a ZRLC meter for measuring impedance, resistance, inductance capacitance.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, even if the author didn't build the extra jig for that, the software capability is there. Your DIY tool gets way more powerful.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and functions like a sweep generator are incredibly useful. It automatically sweeps through frequency go for.
Speaker 1: Testing filters right, seeing how they respond at different frequencies.
Speaker 2: Perfect for that, or testing amplifier response. The software really completes the picture, turning fairly simple hardware into a quite capable test instrument.
Speaker 1: So you can turn your computer into a basic lab instrument. Very cool. Yeah. Building on that, the book then moves into radio frequency or RF projects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, RF, which you know, for a lot of people feels a bit like black magic.
Speaker 1: It does have that reputation. Yeah, but you're saying it's just electronics principles.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is. Just follows the rules of physics. And the first RF project provides a really critical tool, a calibrated RF source.
Speaker 1: Why do you need a calibrated source? What does it do?
Speaker 2: Its job is to outprint a known stable RF signal like fifty meli hurts in the example, at a very precise power level. This becomes your reference point, a reference for what for calibrating other RF measurement tools like the RF power meter project that comes next. You need a known input to calibrate the meter accurately.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. So how does it make this known signal?
Speaker 2: It uses a stable component, a crystal oscillator to get the exact frequency then to get the precise power level. It uses a simple but effective circuit called a pipad attenuator.
Speaker 1: Pipad like the Greek letter yeah.
Speaker 2: The resistors are arranged kind of like a PI symbol. It's just a few resistors used to trim the output power down to a standard reference level, often zero dB.
Speaker 1: And zero dBm is one milli wont.
Speaker 2: Correct a standard RF power unit. Very convenient reference. The PCB design for this also shows good RF practices, like using lots of vias those little plated holes to connect ground planes together for stability.
Speaker 1: Little details matter in RF.
Speaker 2: They do, and the book also shows how you can add external attenuators fixed or even programmable ones to get different known power levels out of that source.
Speaker 1: Programmable meaning you can control the attenuation.
Speaker 2: Level electronically exactly, which is key because you can then control it with something like a beagle bone.
Speaker 1: Which leads nicely into the RF power beater hardware I assume it does.
Speaker 2: This project is all about measuring the strength of RF signals.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's the core component doing the measurement?
Speaker 2: It uses a specialized chip, an RMS RF power detector. The book mentions one from linear technology the LTC five five eighty two RMS detector.
Speaker 1: What's the advantage.
Speaker 2: What's great about this type of chip is it hugely simplifies things. It outputs a DC voltage that's directly proportional to the RMS power of the RF signal coming in, so you.
Speaker 1: Don't have to deal with the high frequency RF signal directly in software. You just read a DC voltage precisely.
Speaker 2: The chip does the complex RF to DC conversion. The software just needs to read that relatively slow changing DC voltage much easier.
Speaker 1: And how does that DC voltage get into the beagle Bone?
Speaker 2: It gets fed into one of the beagle Bon's analog input pins. But there's a crucial detail here.
Speaker 1: Uh oh, what's the catch?
Speaker 2: The beaglebones analog inputs have a maximum voltage limit around one point eight volts. The power detector chip can output more than that, maybe up to two point four v ah.
Speaker 1: So you'd fry the beagle Bone input potentially.
Speaker 2: Yes, So you need a simple voltage divider just two resistors to scale the detector's output voltage down into the safe range. The beagle Bone can read like zero point six to one point two volts in the example.
Speaker 1: Okay, simple fix. So hardware built connected now software to make sense of that voltage.
Speaker 2: Right. The book details setting up the beagle Bone, installing Debian Linux, getting development tools like no js, and using a library called bone script.
Speaker 1: Bone script that's JavaScript for the beagle Bone hardware.
Speaker 2: Yeah, makes it easy to control the pens using JavaScript. They use the cloud nine ID, which is cool because it can run right on the beagle Bone itself. Makes it a self contained development box.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the software runs on the beagle Bone. How do you interact with it?
Speaker 2: See the power reading through a web interface? This is pretty neat. They use something called socket dot io.
Speaker 1: Socket dot io that lets a web page talk to the code running on the beagle Bone exactly.
Speaker 2: It creates a real time communication channel between an HTML web page you open in your browser. That's your graphical interface, your GUI, and the JavaScript program running on the beagle Bone.
Speaker 1: So the web page is the control panel in display.
Speaker 2: You got it. The JavaScript program on the beagle Bone continuously reads the analog input voltage from the RF detector. Then it applies a calibration calculation.
Speaker 1: Based on that reading you got from the calibrator source earlier.
Speaker 2: Right, it knows what voltage corresponds to zero DBBM, so it calculates the power level and dBm based on the current voltage reading. Then it sends that dBm value over socket dot io to the web page, which displays.
Speaker 1: It almost like a live meter reading in your browser.
Speaker 2: Pretty much. Yeah, updated frequently. And if you included that programmable attenuator we mentioned.
Speaker 1: H can the webpage control that too?
Speaker 2: Yes, the guy can have controls like sliders or buttons that correspond to the attenuator's settings. You change a setting on the web page, click apply or load, and.
Speaker 1: The JavaScript on the beagle bone gets the.
Speaker 2: Message and toggles the correct digital output pins connected to the attenuator to set the new attenuation level, so you can control the input level being measured right from the browser.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a really powerful combination. Specialize RF hardware a small Linux computer do in the processing a web interface for control and display. Very neat.
Speaker 2: It really shows how you can integrate these different pieces taking a physical RF signal, measuring it, process it, presenting it.
Speaker 1: Okay. The final major section of the book seems to shift gears again into wireless communication. Building a network.
Speaker 2: Yeah, using Zigbie sensors, specifically Zigbi.
Speaker 1: That's like low power wireless stuff for smart homes.
Speaker 2: And things exactly the low power mesh networking capabilities. Usually the goal here is to create something like a wireless security system using these small ZIGBRF modules.
Speaker 1: How do you start with those? They need setting up they do.
Speaker 2: The process starts with configuring the modules. You use software from the manufacturer often called XCTU, connect the modules to a computer, usually via USB adapters installed drivers.
Speaker 1: And then tell each module what its job is.
Speaker 2: Pretty much, you set up their roles. One module needs to be the coordinator. That's the central hub the network, the boss kind of yeah, and the others become end units. These are your remote sensor nodes. But the really key step in the configuration, especially for this project, yes, is enabling a feature called digital ioline passing.
Speaker 1: Ioline passing, what on earth is that sounds important?
Speaker 2: It is the insight that makes this whole project much simpler. It means if a digital input pin on a remote end unit module changes state, say a sensor pulls it low, okay, then the corresponding digital output pin on the coordinator module automatically changes state to match it wirelessly.
Speaker 1: Wait, so the module itself handles the radio transmission to mirror the input state over the air onto the coordinator's output. Yes, you don't have to write code to constantly pull the sensors. Of course, it packets back and forth saying sensor x is open.
Speaker 2: Exactly. That's the power of ioline passing. The Zigbie module firmware handles all that wireless communication invisibly. Your main controller, the beagle doone connected to the coordinator.
Speaker 1: It just has to watch the output pins on the coordinator module.
Speaker 2: Right, those pins are now effectively mirroring the state of the remote sensors. It hugely simplifies the software you need to write on the beagle bone.
Speaker 1: That is clever. What kind of network work setup or topology does the book use to make that work? A star topology jar like everything talks directly to the center. Yeah.
Speaker 2: In a star network, all the end units communicate directly only with that central coordinator, like spokes on a wheel.
Speaker 1: Not like a mesh network where messages can hop between nodes.
Speaker 2: Right, Mesh networks can be more robust, messages find other paths if one node fails. But the book chooses the star topology here specifically because.
Speaker 1: Let me guess that ioline passing feature works best or maybe only in a STAR setup.
Speaker 2: You got it. That's the crucial trade off. The massive software simplification gained by using ioline passing in a STAR network was prioritized for this specific project's goals, even if MESH offers other advantages.
Speaker 1: Okay, makes sense. What about the actual hardware, the sensor boards and.
Speaker 2: Things well beyond the XB modules themselves, which are physically identical but configure differently, You need some custom electronics. The book details building things like a zone monitor.
Speaker 1: Board, a zone being like an area you're protecting a.
Speaker 2: Group of sensors exactly, And this board uses a pretty clever technique to monitor the actual sensors connected to it.
Speaker 1: Oh, what's the clever bit.
Speaker 2: It uses LM three thirty nine comparators. We talked about comparators earlier with the five point fifty five. They just compared two.
Speaker 1: Voltages, right.
Speaker 2: The clever part is how they're used with end of line EOL resistors. These are resistors you place physically at the very end of the sensor wiring loop.
Speaker 1: Okay, why put a resistor way out there?
Speaker 2: By arranging the circuit as a voltage divider, including that EOL resistor, the comparators can actually detect three different states on the sensor wiring loop, not just open or closed.
Speaker 1: Three states like what.
Speaker 2: Normal contacts closed wirecut an open circuit, and wire shorted together like someone trying to bypass the sensor.
Speaker 1: Uh So it can spot tampering, not just as simple break exactly.
Speaker 2: Each state normal open, short produces a distinctly different voltage at the comparator inputs. The system can tell them apart. It's a classic very effective security technique.
Speaker 1: Very neat. So these zone monitor boards connect to the sensors, check their status using the EOL resistors and comparators, and then feed that into the remote xp end unit. That's the idea.
Speaker 2: And there's also a separate board described an optically isolated output board.
Speaker 1: Optically isolated like using light.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it uses components called opto isolators. They transfer a signal using an internal LED and photo transistor, so there's no direct electrical connection.
Speaker 1: Why is that important?
Speaker 2: Safety? This board provides outputs that can control external devices sirens, lights, maybe motors. These might run on much higher voltages, even mains power. The opto isolation keeps the low voltage beagle bone and Zigbie stuff electrically separate and safe from the high voltage.
Speaker 1: Side crucial if you're switching mains power.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and the book correctly stresses, you know, high voltage work needs a qualified electrician, but this board gives you that safe interface point maybe to control relays which which then switch the big loads.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Okay, so hardware sorted, network configured. Bringing it all together is the software on the beagle bone talking to that coordinator XP. Right.
Speaker 2: The software set up on the beagle Bone involves, you know, installing some necessary libraries, like for talking to the serial port where the XP coordinator is connected. But the core logic it's incredibly.
Speaker 1: Streamlined because of that iolne passing exactly.
Speaker 2: The beagle Bone doesn't need to worry about ZIBI packet formats or addresses for the basic alarm function.
Speaker 1: It just needs to read its own input pins, which are connected to the coordinator's output Precisely.
Speaker 2: You use bone script in JavaScript again to find which beagle Bone pins are connected to those coordinator XP outputs. And the really efficient part is using interrupts.
Speaker 1: Interrupts, yeah, instead of constantly checking the pins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think of it like setting an alert. You tell the beagle bone, hey, let me know immediately if the voltage on this pin goes low.
Speaker 1: So it's not wasting time checking checking, check it right.
Speaker 2: It can do other things or just sit idle the moment an input pin goes low, which which happens automatically when a remote sensor triggers its end unit thanks to ioline passing, the beagle Bone hardware generates an interrupt.
Speaker 1: And that interrupts triggers some code.
Speaker 2: A specific piece of code you've written called a callback function. The interrupt happens, the beagle Bone immediately jumps to your function. Inside that function, you do whatever needs to happen. Log the event, turn on an alarm LED connected to a beagle Bone output pin, maybe send a notification so it's very responsive.
Speaker 1: Sensor triggers, signal passes wirelessly via ioline passing, coordinator pin changes, beagle Bone interrupt fires, code runs almost instant.
Speaker 2: That's the beauty of it. And while the main system relies on that simple io mirroring, the book does mention as a going further idea that the raw Zigbie packets do contain the address of the specific remote module that sent the signal.
Speaker 1: Ah, so you could write more complex software to parse those packets if you needed to know exactly which sensor or zone triggered the alarm.
Speaker 2: Yes, the basic system doesn't need it, but the information is there if you want to build a more sophisticated system later.
Speaker 1: This project really feels like a great capstone. It pulls together hardware design, analog sensing tricks like EOL resistors, configuring wireless modules, understanding network topology trade offs, and.
Speaker 2: Then tying it all together with efficient software on a single board computer using interrupts. It's a full system.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Really demonstrates how all these different electronic building blocks and techniques can combine to solve a pretty practical problem. Mmmmm wow. That's quite a journey we've taken through these excerpts. Started with the absolute basics soldering modifying a simple flashlight.
Speaker 2: Then understanding a fundamental chip like the five five five timer, seeing its incredible versatility.
Speaker 1: Right from a simple flasher to e motion alarm. Then bridging into the computing world, building instruments like the sound card of celloscope and the RF tools using the beagle.
Speaker 2: Bone, combining hardware measurement with software processing and display.
Speaker 1: And finally, yeah, building a complete wireless sensor network using zigbieving module, contiguration, network choices, clever sensor monitoring, and that really neat interrupt driven software.
Speaker 2: It's a really clear progression, isn't it, From simple hands on tasks right up to integrated systems, building skills and concepts layer by layer, and.
Speaker 1: The focus all the way through seems to be on building functional, practical projects, things you can actually use.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's not just theory for theory's sake. You're applying it to create things that do something useful.
Speaker 1: So here's the thought. Maybe it'll leave you with h We've seen how these fundamental components, you know, the five to five to five op amps, micro controllers like the beagle Bone, wireless modules like zigby, how they can be combined in the specific ways shown in this book. But what other kinds of practical problems could you solve or what unique gadgets could you maybe invent by taking these same underlying building blocks and applying them to challenges or just curiosities in your own world? What could you build