Speaker 1: All right, here's your last question. What was the cause of the Civil War?
Speaker 2: Actually, there were numerous causes aside from the obvious schism between abolitionists and anti abolitionists. Economic factors, both domestic and international data significant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just say slavery, Slaverty, it is sir.
Speaker 3: Yes, I am a citizen. Now which way to the welfare office?
Speaker 4: What I'm kidding, I'm kidding, I work.
Speaker 5: I work Four Finger Discounting.
Speaker 6: Welcome to a very special episode of four Finger discount We're doing a classic review today. We're going all the way back to the end of season seven, not quite the finale, but near the end of season seven, my favorite season of the Simpsons of all time. It is much pu about Nothing. One of my least favorite episodes when I was kid, but I really enjoyed it this time.
Speaker 1: I'm Dan though, and I am gay. Yes, back again, your favorite podcaster talking about much of poolban nothing very relevant in these times. He's got to do with elections, got to do with it against That's what I was thinking. I'm just thinking.
Speaker 6: You know, Trump's just been put into this, paw. Don't worry you guys, We're not be going into political tirade.
Speaker 1: Here, Who's Trump?
Speaker 6: We're keeping politics out of this. I just thought it would be somewhat relevant to review this episode now because it's amazing to think that this episode aired in nineteen ninety six, right, and the jokes land just as hard now as they did in nineteen ninety six. It's actually quite amazing.
Speaker 1: Yes, one one feels I'm sorry to keep bringing up this particular episode, but one gets the feeling the writers of E Pluribus Wigham could take a leaf out of this particular episode. The writing of this particular episode, stay evergreen.
Speaker 6: Don't bring in actual named politicians that's going to date the episode.
Speaker 1: So we can talk about political situations, talk about social situation that you know is always going to stick around. That people always racist, are always going to stick around. People are always going to get fired up by hot button topics. They're going to be herded like sheep or like cattle, and politicians are going to take advance. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Now, I brought up that I didn't like this one much when I was a kid, Right. I think it's just mainly because I didn't quite understand what was going on and.
Speaker 1: A pooh, it just that's why. I guess that's just it.
Speaker 6: I just didn't understand what was going on. I didn't understand politics or what much. And I still don't even understand politics all that much now right, particularly American politics. But as a child, I'm watching this going there's no jokes here. It's just like a poo's just being picked on. I don't understand quite why, because when you're a kid, the idea of us in them that doesn't enter the equation. You know, it's not to you. You get older and you start watching the news and you get yeah.
Speaker 1: Not that kind of structural bigotary everything like that. I'd have an immigrant I thought, yeah, just what's wrong with it? Why can't I pooh? Stay? But what did he do wrong?
Speaker 6: Do you understand it?
Speaker 1: If you're a kid and you don't like someone, you just don't like someone. You don't have any underlying reason for it, just like they stole my lunchables or something. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, I actually had my first dealings with racism with Alliot, not that that he's racist, but the idea of black and white the other day because he's been watching Australia versus Pakistan all right, playing cricket, and he just assumed because we had remember and stayed recently the eleventh eleventh right here in Australia, we have remember remembering our war veterans. And he just assumed, I don't understand why where it came from. But he goes, did white people win? All black people win? And I went, that's not what the war was, buddy, I said, we're all people. Because if you be watching the cricket, he just assumed white Australians playing black Pakistan. I think that's where it came into it.
Speaker 1: That's where, yeah, you get the feeling, Oh okay, there's what all conflict is like. Yeah, well, good for you for sending him straight. And I mean, yeah, I imagine that's a really interesting embracing part of being a parent because you sort of think about these things and the hypothetical. Well when yeah, the kid actually says it and you know, in a wholly innocent way.
Speaker 6: That's it. It's innocent. You can't tell him off, you can't grow he doesn't mean anything by it, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: And if I imagine if you did growl at him, yeah, that's going to set a bad precedent. Yeah you're going to have a bad time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're going to have a bad time. But I had a really good time watching this episode because as an adult, I think this episode is absolutely fantastic as a I'm gonna say as a Simpsons episode, it's not a great Simpsons episode because I don't think kids can really enjoy this one all that much. This one is definitely for the adults at home, I think.
Speaker 1: So. I mean, it's yeah, you're right, it's not appealing to kids. But at the same time, I don't think it is sidelining or anything like that. I think it's boring. No, no, it's it's not boring. But the problem I think it's got some gags in it. You're right, they're not your traditional kind of boom gags. They require a little bit thought.
Speaker 6: They're a little not trimopoline or anything like that. It's not trimapoline. It's not that kind of notol. But the thing is, I feel I've gone back to when I was a kid watching this episode for the first time, and why it didn't really resonate with me is that I guess it kind of left me feeling not dumb, but confused, going, well, this is I guess this is It must be funny, but I'm not getting it. So it's kind of like when you go to a trivia night and it's too hard, you think, well, this isn't fun. I guess this episode wasn't fun because I didn't get it.
Speaker 1: You know, well, how'd you feel about what? How did you feel watching him there?
Speaker 6: I thought it was fantastic. As I said, I just could not believe how relatable it was still in twenty twenty four as it was in nine ninety six. Just Moe's let's get the favorite moments. Okay, my favorite Moe's use of the word immigrants, slavey, you know what it is, mimigans. And then the payoff being that he is one. That's that's his way of covering up for hiding it.
Speaker 1: I love that everyone sort of starts to catch his disease in a way then made bad disease Ben Lee La. Then I mean, it was a weird looking kid.
Speaker 6: It's a weird looking He always looked like the guy, the guy who was originally hired to play the voice of Tigger in the Christopher Robin Love action film, who Jim ended up replacing. He's from the Boat that rocked. He's in the Boat that rock Uh maybe in the it crowd. He's one of those English actors who like almost broke into Hollywood and was in a few movies, but he never really hit that sort of.
Speaker 1: Like top level start it crowd cut. I think it's it crowd. Chris so Downri dow that's the one, Yeah, Chris down. It looks very similar to each other they do. Chris O'Dowd is kind of like the is the better looking version of Bentley. Yeah, well, due respect to Ben Lee. Yeah, he's married to Ione Sky, the girl from Say Anything. Oh damn well on Ben Lee, he's probably like what this podcast, but it was even shots at he was.
Speaker 6: Like the Triple J Golden Boy Bentley very much growing. Yeah, in the eighties and nineties one eighty sorry in the nineties four.
Speaker 1: He started young. He started young. Why was I talking about that? Catch my Disease? Oh yes, every mode Springfield is just mangling. The English language reminds me of reminds you of Django unchained a little bit, because Christoph Walter's playing this German bounty hunter and he's got a much better vocabulary even though it's a native German speaker than any of the native English speakers.
Speaker 6: I love that part film that our man let A Malten doesn't like all that much. Jango unchained, that's true.
Speaker 1: We can start talking about the movie guide.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's alive now and it's already top two. Let's get to number one people for the film interviews. In Australia it is number two. It is top twenty for TV and film overall. In Britain it's in top thirty and in the US it's now top fifty. So let's boost it up those rankings. The movie guy with Malton and Davis.
Speaker 1: And we got one very nice review from someone called mclovin in the.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, thank you for your review. If you're out there listening right now, thank you for that review. And let It appreciates it as well.
Speaker 1: He certainly does. Are we doing more favorite moments? Do you want?
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's do it. But I want to pose this question in case I forget sure, is Mo racist or is Mo an immigrant who is posing as a racist American to hide.
Speaker 1: The fact that he's an immigrant?
Speaker 6: Is that the layer of joke there?
Speaker 1: Or is there something else? Is her self loathing? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 6: What's as many layers to this character?
Speaker 1: There are, indeed, on on the level on.
Speaker 6: The top, it just seems like he's just being a racist because it seems to fit his character. Well, I mean, he's bitter and he's just you know, but you've.
Speaker 1: Got the message at the end of the episode. I mean, I think it's great how you've got the resolution, but then you have sort of had this little code at the end, which is really doing a South Park and spelling out the message of the episode, which is basically any Western country or any America Australia like it's built on immigrants.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's a great salad bowl of all these different ingredients that you know, retain their own individual flavor but also contribute to the whole. It's great.
Speaker 6: But what else were your favorite moments, because I've got in mine. I really liked the music at the start. It was the Simpsons theme, but it had it was a different spin. I don't think I've actually seen this version of the theme used all that much, but it's such a really set the tone of how they wanted you to feel watching this. It's like Flanners is freaking out. This is he thinks this massive threat in this bear right, but the music is playing this bubbly. It's like acknowledging. No, everything's fine, everything's all good. This bear is not here to harm anybody. But as people, Aslander says, just freaks out for no reason.
Speaker 1: I guess it's not.
Speaker 6: For no reasons. It's a bear. It's a bear, yes, but the bears not attacking him.
Speaker 1: No, but you do want to be worried about that? Or no? Having said that, are you aware of the bear color rhyme?
Speaker 6: Color rhyme?
Speaker 1: Yes? No, if you well, I imagine this American black or brown or whatever. I have heard it. It's brown, lay down if it's black, fight back if it's white. Good night? Really yea in trouble Yeah. Mcaulay Colton taught us.
Speaker 6: That if you ever see it, well, if you ever see it, if you ever come face to face of a polar bear, you deserve it because it means you've gone out of your way to jump into the enclosure to zoo or you're going to an tired to go and come face. Look, it takes a lot of effort to become face to face of a polar bear right just roam in the wild. No.
Speaker 1: I mean they probably have them at zoos.
Speaker 6: That's what I'm saying. Either jump into an enclosure, or you're going to an and you've gone down the wrong way. But the Simpsons mickey out of that when they go if it's if it's brown, something down, if it's black, take it back. It's something. Homer says that with bananas.
Speaker 1: Perhaps maybe I'm too sure, and I thought, you know, I thought you were about to use the toilet code if it's yellow leaded melon.
Speaker 6: I'll franky ate that quote. Why you tell me what other moments you liked about this episode?
Speaker 1: This had bits and pieces that have shown up in just popular culture in general, or have been used by various podcasters or vloggers or whatever. I mean, of course we've got I forgot that this was think of the children, and this was the one that was really used a lot.
Speaker 6: Well, I think, just in this era. I've got that in my notes as well. I'm like, wow, I've got how often they use Helen love Joy because she doesn't get used anywhere near as often anymore. When somebody please think of the children, whenever there was that crisis mob mentality, she was always there saying it, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Please think of the good, somebody please think of the children. I love that.
Speaker 6: I'll make you Roswell.
Speaker 1: Something else that I've heard a lot, particularly on political podcast I found by the way, I found the quote from Homer po Looser episode we were reviewed in recent times.
Speaker 6: Is it true that we have to bring our own water? We got a little rule back home. If it's brown, trick it down. If it's black, send it back, but continue.
Speaker 1: One that I enjoyed was poo giving a very studied and knowledgeable response to the reasons of the Civil War.
Speaker 6: You might as well.
Speaker 1: Just say slavery.
Speaker 6: That was honestly, I've gotten my notes. That takes me back to when we used to do our forkliff license or our dogging license as we call it as it's called in Australia. In u k. It's something very different.
Speaker 1: It sure is.
Speaker 6: Yes, I've got both licenses here in Australia.
Speaker 1: Good for you.
Speaker 6: But when you have to drive the overhead crane or whatever, you have to get the license and you go there and basically the teacher there his job is to make sure everyone passes. So as long as you are competent enough to answer the basics, you're going to pass it and I'll be there going. He's like just fucking yes or no. I'm like yes, He's like, good, you don't have to prove anything to me, buddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I went to get what's called my white card because.
Speaker 6: Them blacks no way just to prove them away. I've got my white card, people, damn.
Speaker 1: Basically, I'm all about the side hustle, and this is a white card. Is what you get to be a lot of guys stop a stop gog. I've got one a traffic and trouble. Could we just have to do it forward when they were driving stuff around. I've got a white card. Yeah great, I have not used it.
Speaker 6: It makes you feel like a real man when you got one of those cars, doesn't it. I've got your crane license, Like.
Speaker 1: Whoa, I've got my white cab. My high is good to go.
Speaker 6: Except I've got my because the licenses used to last eight years, and mine ran out, ran out in November this month, runs out the end of this month because that's when Ford closed, and they issue right near before Ford closed, Like, we'll renew it now for you guys, just so you've got it for another eight years for when you want to work some other alp somewhere else if you do get another job. And it was like just letting you know, yeah, Crane and your fok of lis is all going to run out in November twy third or whatever. And I was like, oh, I feel.
Speaker 1: Like a real man. That's man on the roadcast of these days. I'm doing the real heavy lifting. But yeah, I've got the wake up of that. But yeah, when we did the course, for it to actually obtain it, you're basically given the ass Oh yes, I think that basically holds your hand.
Speaker 6: The teachers hold your hand through the whole thing because they need you to pass because if they if you fail, it reflects poorly on the teacher. It was the same for high school. We had a German teacher who basically would just give you the answers because the school needed to for the language classes. The school got special funding for it. But if if the students don't pass at a certain level, they cut the funding. So the teachers basically make sure that you pass so the school keeps getting the funding.
Speaker 1: The whole system. Man, it's a little shunking. I loved Homer at the end making his speech. If I could say a few words, it would be a better public speaking.
Speaker 6: I know you'd love this.
Speaker 1: It's great I've got to use that all the time.
Speaker 6: No one quotes anywhere near enough. It's such a good line. It feels kind of odd that Homer says it.
Speaker 1: It's a very dad joke.
Speaker 6: Yeah no, still, but I feel like it's even too sophisticated for Homer to say. Who would be the perfect character for that? Do you think be a better public speaker? Doctor Hibbert?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Maybe, Yeah, it feels right for Homer.
Speaker 1: It feels like he he heard it somewhere. He probably heard it from doctor Hibbert, or he was at some events like, oh this is boring, and you know, then someone got it. Well, if I can say a few words, well, i'd be a bit of public speaker. I think it's home. I would think that would just be the goal.
Speaker 6: I think the great bit about that too, is it gets backed up with only Bart laughing at it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was hilarious.
Speaker 6: It was the perfect That is very much how every groomsman's speech starts. Right, some stupid lame joke like that.
Speaker 1: Well, anyone who quote unquote teaches public speaking or will offer advice. I was like, break the eyes with a joke.
Speaker 6: Yeah, how many.
Speaker 1: Ted talks have you watched? It's like someone comes out and does a bit of a self deprecating gag or whatever. It's get to the fireworks.
Speaker 6: What is the damn marine?
Speaker 1: One last thing that I enjoyed the Simpsons family history with I guess it's home as great grandfather grand.
Speaker 6: I didn't like this and I'll get to what we get to the review but continue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not much about it I enjoyed, but the whole this is America. Someday one day, who knows when you and I will go there later that day.
Speaker 6: That was good.
Speaker 1: That was good. But also yeah, all the stuff about living in the head of the Statue of Liberty. Can live without it. But later that day, very funny. Next question you there eating the beast?
Speaker 6: All right? Trivia time.
Speaker 1: My first question for you is what other names of a who's fake?
Speaker 6: Mum and dad? And where is he from? There's two questions. Oh my goodness, Herb and Judy okay, And he's from Montana green Bay, green Bay of course, yeah, green Bay Packers, the packers of Green Bay. Yes, coming to America. Reference for you folks. Barney is holding a sign of the protest saying the only good immigrant.
Speaker 1: Is who no, no, what? What is it? It's Rod Stewart. Oh, we actually named somebody voted to it. Again. I knew there's one.
Speaker 6: When I'll walking past the protesters at the end they're going to the test. I thought there's gonna be some sort of question here. I'm sure there's a freeze frame. Gag. I ain't gonna do it. Okay, so I've used to I've only had two questions. I'm just gonna skim through and find one more for you.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: What was Kearney's fake name?
Speaker 1: Oh? He was Charles Norwal Charles Norwood. Speaking of Kearney, where does where does he live? According to his fake id's that's a good question. It's a freeze frame, gag. Is it somewhere near We don't know Westpringfield is, But is it somewhere America? Like it's a popular place. Well, it's it's an address. It's a street address.
Speaker 6: Oh sure, I don't know what it is in there.
Speaker 1: It's one one eight point drive. Well done, good question. All right, what else you got for me? I have one last question for you. How many people were in Upho's graduating class at cal Tech? Seven million, seven million, seven million? There we go?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Also, actually, well one is I going one more? No?
Speaker 6: Hear me?
Speaker 1: Oh? Okay? At the I don't know. I guess the hall where Arpou goes to take his citizenship test. They've gone how many years without a civil war?
Speaker 6: Six?
Speaker 1: One hundred and thirty one.
Speaker 6: One hundred and thirty one. All right, I thought it'd be something ridiculous, but it's not true. If you're a fan of everything we do here at four Finger Discamp, but you're tired of hearing these pesky ads, then you'll absolutely love being a member of the fourth Finger Discamp family on Patreon, where you not only get access to over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, but you also get access to this show early and add free every single week, as well as access to our exclusive Facebook and Discord communities, and so much more. So go ahead join the family today and support your pals Guy and Dando for a little as one dollar per month at patreon dot com slash fourthing a discount. Who is stone cut a time? The lovely Katy g with her one hundred sport you so.
Speaker 1: Much, Katie, Thank you so much, Katie.
Speaker 6: And Zach Ligmas. What's his Ligamus Ligamus Ligmas nigamas I choose you. It sounds like a Pokemon. I don't I don't get it. I don't get it. I don't like it.
Speaker 1: But Zach, we choose you. Choose you like just like you. Joe chose us.
Speaker 6: Yes. Also, thank you to the following people we have got Jonathan Rossi, Rach Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Shawn d v Pte Anderson, Timothy Burls and Andrew Davis, Ryan Dunlap, Kevin Dental, Planned Flood, Shannon over Bellow, Window Bank, Jack McFadden, Heath Appleby, Adrian McLeod, Lewis Kavana, mart Trelevan, Trelevan Sorry Reese, Roberts, Ginger and Pickle, Preston, Murray, t Lea and Riquez, check Mess, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Josh Hallier, Logan b James Shepber, Joe Reading, Sect, Dave Pretzels McNally, Gavin Lane, Demi Miller, and Charlie Joe. Now, I just gave guy the finger. Salie is going to go about Pilett.
Speaker 1: And when Dana says he give me the finger, he's not talking about it in the middle one. No, no, no, He's just he raised his index. I was clearly looking like a small dog left in a hot cargoes, which is always funny, hilarious hilarity. Why did you not mention cut that out? Zach or Swanye, the Lord of Discord.
Speaker 6: Whilst I was saiventh to last because you always have the best to last? Is Zach Pruitt, our main man, our editor and future potentially Knock Me in the Middle podcast host as well, but also Andrew will get to it, Andrew Swanny mcswan, who just helped us get the Movie Guy podcast website online. So basically I was like, I bought the domain, I've made the website, Swanny mickswan, can you help me make this work? And he was like okay, and he did it because he's an absolute champion. So now the Movie Guide podcast dot com. You can check out the Movie Guide.
Speaker 1: Yes, by all means get on there, and I don't know if you want to go over to Patreon or something like that and maybe throw a few blocks and bucks in the jar. Yeah, maybe try that too.
Speaker 6: So currently at the moment, on the Movie Guide Podcast Patreon, you get early access to the show no ads. Plus you also get access to the Jaws review, which was the I call it just the pilot because it was the first time Leonard and Guy had actually spoken to each other and done a show.
Speaker 1: And yeah, so if you want to hear me saying so do you like stepth to Leonond Moulton, Yeah, bio means tuned into that?
Speaker 6: And who is this scypca?
Speaker 1: Who is who is?
Speaker 6: I was getting to a review of matchhapoo about nothing? So, as I mentioned earlier. Originally added ninety six May fifth, nineteen ninety six production code three F two oh to zero? Should say? Are you Do you ever say oh when you mean zero? I always say four three two of my number, but then I got say the rest of it. But then the end of my number has an seven, but I say zero seven. It's like I start with an O but then it ends with zero seven. I mean we always say we always say four, don't we o?
Speaker 1: Four? Three? Eight?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: It was about to give my whole number? That's right. I will start with the O, but then I do have one another I in the middle, but I will say zero.
Speaker 6: It's weird, isn't it. We always say oh, four three because we're so used to saying oh four, like it's a it's a brand.
Speaker 1: But then we zero is a fun word to say, it is.
Speaker 6: But why don't we say zero four three two four three two? It's just it rolls off the tongue, doesn't it. Everyone is like, we've got five of the numbers, six the numbers. We can get the rest to get Daniel's phone number.
Speaker 1: There's only so many get working on that combination. And then Frankel dan o'die Heart's contend.
Speaker 6: Written by David Cohen, directed by Susie Dieter Cash Gag. There was no chipboard game at the cash gig. Was Marge Bart, Lisa and Maggie mounted heads or the heads amounted on the wall and a big game hunter comes in. I believe Homer was the skin on the floor right, yes, the rug a right was Maggie? I do not recall some I think that she was. Yeah, maybe it was definitely on the wall as well. Yeah, not good, not good at all. The episode kicks off with the Bear, as we were saying earlier, with the nice upbeat music and really setting the tone of Planners is freaking out. I think the music made it funnier because Flanners is freaking out when like the Bears just not really doing anything and they made the bear look like a dog or sitting there as panting and whatnot. But yeah, just the whole I don't have time for the secret knock.
Speaker 1: Yes, and much like the later Morgetlanda's I can't work than I'll either. But the whole bear thing reminded me of something I've read recently as one that I found quite interesting and also quite saddening. You know, you've got beers in the US that are, you know, ripping into rubbish bins and all that kind.
Speaker 6: Of stuff in suburbia. Yeah, but yeah, and someone.
Speaker 1: Was asking, someone asked, like a forest rangers, like, why don't you make the bins harder to get into so bears can't get into it? And the guy said, because the ben diagram are bear intelligence and human stupidity. Is the overlap is a lot more than you might think. It's like, oh, no, are you smarter than a beer?
Speaker 6: But why wouldn't they want to go into the bins? Because there's stuff in there they shouldn't be eating?
Speaker 1: Or I think so? Yeah, And also yeah, they just your bin apart and put rubbish all over the place.
Speaker 6: Yeah that's who was that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm messy enough.
Speaker 6: I remember recently, I was emptying the bin and the bag out, and the bag like ripped and rub the phone. I was like, oh, there's being juice everywhere.
Speaker 1: Is there anything?
Speaker 6: There's many things worst, but bing juice terrific.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Look, of course there are worse things in life, but there's a good chance you're going to avoid things like binge juice.
Speaker 6: It's been sitting in there, just seeping.
Speaker 1: Up marinate in film fermenting. Yeah, put the pin on this podcast. I'm not talking anymore.
Speaker 6: I've got a story for you about bingejuice now, but I don't hear about keep it yourself saying more.
Speaker 1: Just panicking.
Speaker 6: Can't get the doornub pretty much like a horror movie. It always frustrates me. It's like, just open the damn doors, like I can't. I'm panicking. Sometimes you're in a rush, the basics. I'm trying to turn the car on. Why can't I turn this? It's like, stop, take a breath. Humans, man, we're not smarter than a bear.
Speaker 1: We're basically animals.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we have basically animals indeed, But the bears just sitting there panting, having a good time. Well, these guys are freaking out. To go somewhere else. As we do that he's wandered into the Simpsons house. We get the news report Camp Brockman in the sky, No honey pie, Camp Brockman. I feel like the new episodes now don't have this anywhere near enough where Brockman was always on site.
Speaker 1: Yes, always happened to look disappointed that we didn't get the arney, but always happened to especially when there's bears in search of food or perhaps employment, perhaps employment.
Speaker 6: How good is that?
Speaker 1: It's like story in my life? Ken Brockman knows me I will work for I'm consent, drop pants for food, search for food or possibly employment.
Speaker 6: But he says that everyone just stay in their homes and Homo seas on the news that it's destroyed. The Impsign family let a box call it's destroyed. The Yes, and he says, fine, if I have to be trapped to my he said, they're gonna find as long as I have beer in the house. No beer, but I'm gonna be tated to my house and after great and get some beer.
Speaker 1: Do you have any baking soda in your fridge?
Speaker 6: Baking so done in the fridge?
Speaker 1: No, you know, like he's got that apparently. You know, you get a box of baking zone, you open it up and it sort of absorbs all the sense. Really, Yeah, okay, I don't know if that's an old wives sale or actual scientific fact.
Speaker 6: Why would you want to absorb the sense? Well, you know what your fridge stinking? I guess yeah, the dish is your dish washing, your dishwasher.
Speaker 1: No dish washer.
Speaker 6: Stinks after it. Like, if we've had dishes in there for a while, what's this clean? It's fine, but we'd have been sitting there for meny.
Speaker 1: Laugh, because Lou's got the the dishwasher and we'll stuck it up. I like to wash things by hand. I find it quite therapeutic and quite calming.
Speaker 6: I've got some things that have to be washed by Yeah, certainly, it depends what mood I'm in. I don't mind it. But when you got kids, man, like three meals a day, four people, like, there's just so much shit sometimes, you know.
Speaker 1: So much laundry, so many dishes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean two loads of washing yesterday I loaded the dish washing though somehow my bedtime your clothes clearly, But yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 6: It is therapeutic doing the dishes.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Maybe it's I thought it was just a Davors thing because I'm always saying to my Mum's like, let me do the disappoin Yeah, no, I do it better. She does and she enjoys it.
Speaker 6: I don't like washing frying pants and things like that have had the food sort of stuck in them for a while, because we got learn so because when you when you're washing, right, we're doing the dishes. I wash the basic stuff first, like cups. I was washing glasses and cups first because I prefer that's going to be going in my mouth like that to have the cleanest water.
Speaker 1: Stuff that's transparent as well. Yeah, yeah, so I always do. Don't you happy? We could talk about the Simpsons? Wouldn't you rather get these household tips I always talk about. Sorry, I always clean the dishes first, like the glasses first. Then I do plates or whatever, but I always I rinse them under the tap first to get any excess stuff off, and then just basically wash the basic the rest of the stuff off in the dishwater because I prefer to wash it as clean dishwater as possible, because when you start doing the frying pants I say those the last night because the water goes instant brown. It certainly does.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I'm thinking around wash it down exactly, and I'm washing it going is this actually cleaning? Because it's just washing it in its own filth? It's almost it's weird, right it is.
Speaker 1: You're reminded me of a YouTube channel I discovered the other day called dad, How Do I No? It's sounding like four million subscribers, and it's basically just this middle aged American dude who teaches you how to I don't know what's the things you're doing? A tap like a sinker.
Speaker 6: Or over the water starts spread now and or whatever. Yeah, put on a door handle or whatever. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He just seems like a really mellow Guy's like, I mean, look like your actual dad, who was like Jesus, I have no son. But he's like, okay, how you do this? And you know you remove that and then you the dad everyone wanted. Yeah, he's he's like vice president should have been Tim Watz, but instead we've got JD. Vance on Musco. I think, isn't it that No, he's the actual president? Should I say? The other day? I'm pretty sure it did? You know you know how Alon sort of does his jumping jacks. It's the EXE and it's the X. I mean, it's clever, it's good branding.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's so weird. He can say that he's a weird cat, isn't he.
Speaker 1: He's a weird cat sponsor our show's daddy Elon. He's promo from forming in this cat.
Speaker 6: He's weird cat.
Speaker 1: Weird cat. But Bridge, yeah.
Speaker 6: Very very rich indeed. So he's going to see the Simpons house home, is going to get some beer. He tries to drop gracefully through the windshields and that does not work as as planned. I really liked if you look in the background, because it's season seven, they got the bush house across the street. George was doesn't live there anymore. Obviously he moved out the end of the episode, but that continuity stayed with the show at least until that point. Nice, Yeah, it's not there anymore. But then the police arrive. They actually shoot Barney first, or get shot.
Speaker 1: Then, and he's like, oh this that's not bad.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then shoots the bear and we've got one count book and loo one count of being a bear and one count of being accessory to being a bear. I did like it when the Forest Service takes the bear away and then Mose takes away Barney and the whole we have to drink toilet water. Was that just meant to be a gag on people just freaking out for the second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like yeah, in the early dayest the pandemic, where everyone's like, I've got to have sixteen sixteen packs.
Speaker 6: Of toilet roll past. I remember going to the Aldi near what do we call that? Service man?
Speaker 1: Was his name?
Speaker 6: Guy right, who works across the road at the Woolworths. I remember going, it's sorry cos yeah, the cos not wiol worse at Cole's and all the past was gone. Everyone's like freaking out one per person. I go to Aldi and it's just always past that just across the road. I'm looking around, going how many of these can they buy? And the guy's like I don't care. I'm like you need a few.
Speaker 1: You do realize the world's in there, right?
Speaker 6: I was just like you just can put out and he's just like I was just like, there's no one here and past everywhere. I felt like a king. But it was just it was a weird time where you felt like you were cheating asistant because you brought four packs of pasta. What the hell happened? We all lost our collect to take tickets and line up for the supermarket. So strange, Oh, so strange, so strange. Trying to explain it to the kids when they're old is going to be a weird one. But anyway, so, yeah, I probably have their own pandemic by the Homers. Yeah. Probably Homer's sick of all these bear attacks. Like a damn bed jamberoo, randy country bed jamb It just sounds like fun. A country bear jambarroo. The Flanta says, you know what, I think this might be the first time we've actually ever had a bean my whole time of living in Springfield. Well, if you were bears scaring your children and taking your salmon, that's your that's your incentive.
Speaker 5: We're here, we're queer. We don't want any more bears.
Speaker 6: We don't.
Speaker 4: Hey, Homer, that's a pretty catchy chant.
Speaker 6: Where'd you learn it?
Speaker 5: Oh? I heard it the mustache bride to hear every.
Speaker 6: Year again, that's a joke that eight year old Brendan no idea what he's talking about. Even though we're queer, we're here, that's it sounds funny, but I don't get what the joke is, you know, so I guess there's moments throughout the episode for a kid too. I guess it sounds funny. I know it seems like it's funny, but properly understanding it, he just wasn't quite there. But they have an unruly moub or whatever at the door, but they have an appointment because Skinner caught ahead and Quimby says that you know, what are we mean to do? And they're like, it's smarter than the average bait.
Speaker 1: You took my pick in the ba.
Speaker 6: I never get the great bay off of Quimby with the pigure what Quimby's a legend, right? I love Quimby, but we haven't actually touched on just how sweet this overall story is. This is an Appooh centric story. He's only had Homer and the where he goes to get his job back at the Quick Mask Indian and whatnot. I think we've had any Appoo based stories between that and this one.
Speaker 1: I don't recall.
Speaker 6: You might have had a storylines. I've had storylines where he's been kind of involved in episodes based on him and I think that what are you gonna do an a Pooh episode? This is about as spot on as.
Speaker 1: You can get, right, I think so? Yeah, I mean I think you've got heart.
Speaker 6: It's got it's witty, it's it's topical even now like it's it's it's from that perspective. It's actually a great episode.
Speaker 1: It's heartfelt, but it's not sappy in any way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not a bear in sight. The bear patrol must be working like a germ.
Speaker 1: That specious reasoning, Dad, Thank you, honey. By your logic, I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
Speaker 5: How does it work?
Speaker 4: It doesn't work. It's just a stupid rock. But I don't see any tigers around here, do you, Lisa.
Speaker 6: I want to fight your rock, Lisa.
Speaker 1: I want to buy your rock. He doesn't want to take the money, and it's like eh, and he takes it like this guy.
Speaker 6: But then he realizes he thinks he's getting a paycheck. Well, he's getting his paycheck, but he's been taxed five dollars the Bear patrol tax. Let the Bears pay the bad tax, I pay the Homer tax. Give me whatever. So the mob is now back at Quimby's again, down with taxes. They don't want to pay ating taxes. They also want the bear patrol. There's no pleasing this peak, no, no, So of course for real leadership.
Speaker 1: So what does he do.
Speaker 6: He blames the im against well, that's what a real little does against. I knew it was them against dem immigrants. Is so good. But then we get somebody pleasing the children and he proposes proposition twenty four.
Speaker 1: Is twenty twenty four? Twenty four definitely twenty four.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but then did you see the newspaper, So it says, I don't know, this is the first one. So it says quib proposition twenty four. And at the end Quimby proposes proposition twenty four at ballet. It's got ballot in the first one at ballet, and there in the subheading. So now at the school and UDA's being teased, and this is very much what happens, you know, it's just mob mentality takes over and you start picking on people, and you go, you were best friends yesterday and now you've just been completely brainwashed and now.
Speaker 1: You're picking on It happened.
Speaker 6: As you said, I'm not going to get political, but this was felt very much post nine to eleven, how any Muslim would have felt. Sure anyway, it's just your Muslim, you're one of them. It's just it's crazy. But UDA's getting teased here, and as even Skinner is joining in on it and really tries to stand up for him, And I want to pick on someone their own size, So I'm planning to seed here that that Willy's obviously immigrant. Of course, then right dinner and Least is annoyed by the whole thing. She can't believe that Homer's buying into it all. And Homer's like, what's the ideology of kids? So many immigrants in the school's neck kids like, but I've lost the wilder. But then this is while I was touched on earlier Grandpa talking about the Old Country and how the Simpsons family actually came from immigrants, like Grandpa immigrated to Springfield. It didn't pay off in any way, it felt. So we did Family Guy recently for launch Pod. It felt very much like a cutaway gag like that it didn't add to the story because you know, I didn't add to the story because at the end of it that is go and by the by the time we filled the heavy garage and we's got to move out in the end, and that's it. Like, if the joke is I really know where we're going with this, then don't include it.
Speaker 1: I guess. So yeah, I mean really, there was really only one good gag in that whole thing, which was the later that day thing that I mentioned.
Speaker 6: Because if you're going to bring up the fact that the Simpsons are immigrants themselves as.
Speaker 1: A plot point, really roll with it.
Speaker 6: It's got to. It's going to become part of the story. It doesn't make sense why home it would still be, I guess, because wouldn't I guess they'd be legal immigrants by that point, not illegal.
Speaker 1: Well it's it's are they trying to get illegal immigrants or just immigrants? Just illegal immigrants? Yeah, yeah, but they're threading through the theme of the shows that everybody came from somewhere else. I still have just thought that it seemed it didn't it didn't add anything to this particular store, and the gags weren't necessarily that funny, so kind of flopped on both counts. So Grandpa wasn't born in America. Yeah, Well that's the other thing. I mean, they don't. I guess it's kind of a gig that they don't say where they come from.
Speaker 6: Just as later on they're trying to when that was still a thing show where Springfield is or isn't, and they're doing all the hiding and obscuring, and all that hiding and the obscuring and all that just somes either Grandpa who is such a pro war veteran, pro America, very patriotic, and then turns out he's sort even born in America.
Speaker 1: Then, as I said, you know a lot of people who yeah, quote unquote come from there, extremely patriotic. Just look at Arnold. I was pedatic matterlive.
Speaker 4: You know what merely aggravates me is them immigrants. They want all the benefits of living in Springfield, but they ain't even bothered to learn themselves the language.
Speaker 5: Yeah, those are exactly my centimony.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, what.
Speaker 4: Job you shut a barn?
Speaker 6: If you're a fan of everything we do here at Fourth Finger Discount, but you're kind of hearing these pesky ads, then you'll absolutely love being a member of the fourth Finger Discount family on Patreon, where you not only get access to over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, but you also get access to this show early and add free every single week, as well as access to our exclusive Facebook and Discord communities, and so much more. So go ahead, join the family today and support your palas Guy and Dano for as little as one dollar per month at patreon dot com.
Speaker 1: Slash fourth finger Discount.
Speaker 6: Simpsons are now at the Quickie Mark, well besides Homer Marge, but Unleastam Maggie. They're walking around their first customers in a week. No one wants to go to the Quickie Mart anymore because a Pooh is a legal immigrant and he explains here, Hey, he left India after graduating. And I wanted to touch on this earlier. I thought i'd say this now. I like the idea that Mandula debut here. Even though I mean, well, I suppose the age differentiations, it didn't feel that much when they were actually married.
Speaker 1: No, but here is like a child well not old bride, but child bride to be is like, oh boy.
Speaker 6: But it makes that that episode when he marries Manjuela. For the hardcore Simpsons fans, that's a really good payoff. Oh yeah, it's just because she was just a joke here, but then she becomes an actual character.
Speaker 1: It's an easter Egg.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is an Yeah, an Issa Egg. It's like, we watched TV last night and someone said newsletter. I was like, did ever say it?
Speaker 1: Like that?
Speaker 6: Newsletter? It's like newsletters some words.
Speaker 1: It's fun to occasionally put the emphasis on the wrong on the newsletter.
Speaker 6: It's newspaper. So now he explains how he studied under Professor Frink, the Great Professor Frink talks about the computers and how I didn't live through this era you did. What was the mentality of computers was the idea of they're going to be massive or they're going to change the world. What was it?
Speaker 1: It happened like a lot of things gradually and then very suddenly. Yeah. I mean, we were studying computer at school when I was young, but it was all It was kind of like going to art class or something like that. Today you're gonna learn how.
Speaker 6: To protect class.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You'd go in for like half an hour and code for whatever and blah blah blah blah. Oh look I made a squiggly line or something like that. As I was in secondary school about to leave schools like, well, computers seemed to be becoming more of a thing. Maybe I should learn about it. No, I think I'll just go get drunk instead. You know, schools out forever. Baby, I was full. I should have learned about computers. But yeah, I mean you could see, oh, these are becoming more of a thing. Apple was sort of we had Apple Macintosh.
Speaker 6: So I went to Northseiall Primary School here, a really poor school, and I remember we had like the computer lab, but it would have been maybe like Tank computers in there and it or had Apple macintoshes in there. Macintosh just seemed to dominate. Oh god, world at that point in came to computers. It's just my idea of when I was a kid off a computer was a Macintosh, but it's called It wasn't called a computer.
Speaker 1: It was called a Macintosh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, they had that branding and it was just over like you play the games and it was the floppy discs you put it in and it was like green. Oh yeah, yeah, time to be alive. I'm just trying to look up here. We had like these electric typewriter things at school. We all had them. They weren't but they weren't typewriters. There was sort of this weird what were.
Speaker 1: Called well was it like half a laptop yes, kind of thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what were they called me? This is like early nineties.
Speaker 1: They were electronic typewriters. That's well, that's certainly what I had then when I was leaving school and first years of UNI. It was kind of like what almost almost kind of like.
Speaker 6: What ET used, you know, like a speaking like speaking, it's kind of like that, but more fancier, more fancyer.
Speaker 1: No, no, I know, I know because Margaret Mary had one and I pinched it because it had a little, tiny, little electronic screen. Was like, oh, I can actually see the words I'm typing. Alpha Smart that might have been That wasn't it. But there was a brand called Brother Brother. Yeah, that's this is the Alpha Smarts here. So it's kind of like that, I get what you mean. That wasn't it. It's sort of like a really big, unwieldy BlackBerry.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, but we it was so you got to play on that.
Speaker 1: It was like, oh my god, like it's it was cool.
Speaker 6: It was really cool.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. When I was working in Forte at the street paper down here had a bunch of like old desktop computers, but there was one quote unquote laptop except if you put it in your lap, you just you know, your legs will be paralyzed because it was so heavy.
Speaker 6: It was like when when Chandler buys a laptop on Friends and it's like it's got like five hundred megabats of ramp his massive box of a thing. Yeah, but yeah, it's it's makes you feel oh when you look back and go, and that was cutting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: When Apple did the the screens, you could see inside.
Speaker 1: All the oh those Imax Imax Yeah, well yeah, we had one of the Adam at school.
Speaker 6: It is like, look at the computer. They got the Imaxe inside, and.
Speaker 1: It's weird because you sometimes you get the pink one. You're like, oh, yeah, we have one in a place I was working. We thought it's pretty wild.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It took a very short amount of time for that to become terribly naff and uncool, that kind of design, because I think you had the iMac and around the same time you had that new version of the Volkswagon. Do you remember that from the late nineties, and it was you know, I had the traditional sort of Volkswagen shape, but it was a little bit more streamlined and it came in funky colors and all that. Like the iMac. It was a very late nineties kind of design, and I think maybe from the mid two thousand and were oh god, that sucks. Even probably in the nineties we were doing that because I think there's a scene at five Club where Brad Pittnea when Norton's I don't come across one of those volkswagons, just laugh at it and kick the shit out of it with well, beat the shit out of it with baseball bats. Now we're looking at it because everything's so bland and bloody.
Speaker 6: It's just the same.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean, you go the soup, you go to the supermarket carpack, you gat the sheep market carpats.
Speaker 6: It's gray white or black.
Speaker 1: You can't find you can all the kinds of gray white and black, and they all look the same. And every time I'll look over the car park and go, well, this world used to be colorful. And then occasionally you'll see like a bright green carryinger.
Speaker 6: This is Wanka'd say, And this don't get the fancy cond You're like this dickhead, but a hero is showing off.
Speaker 1: Oh dear, But.
Speaker 4: I predict that within one hundred years computers will be twice as powerful, ten thousand times larger and so expensive that only the five richest kings of Europe will own them.
Speaker 2: Who did to be used for dating?
Speaker 4: Well, theoretically, yes, Black the computer matches would be so perfect as to eliminate the thrill of romantic conquests more herven Way.
Speaker 2: Nine glorious years later, I completed my PhD thesis two hundred thousand precisely ordered punch Guards, comprising the world's very first tick tactor program. Only the top human players could be dis.
Speaker 1: Hey, what's this one for?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Maybe I have undiagnosed OCD or something like that. I wanted to kill.
Speaker 6: Him amount of time it goes into that maybe he's so angry. It's like when I built this lego, right, this this thing, and Elliott just goes, what is this one? He pulled it and one of the parts fell off, and I was like, I don't quite remember where this one goes. Now, I know I can putting here and it looks fine, but that's not where it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it will never be the right way.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: We might we might be ill people. There might be something wrong with.
Speaker 6: Oh, there's definitely something wrong with us. I mean everyone has something wrong with him.
Speaker 1: I've got well yeah, true, But I mean I've got Basic, a lovely cat. He's got claws because he's a cat. He will occasionally crawl me. And if I'm like, I'm wearing a jumper that I don't want a threat to come loose on it, and you're gonna your claws are kind of sharp, and you won't let me cut them because you're You're as Eurotic Eurotic as your owner. I'm like, I've got to pick you up and very g and throw you away because you're up slowly, and throw because then i can't wear this jump anymore. If I've got one thread loose on it? What's wrong with this?
Speaker 6: Could you know?
Speaker 1: When we now return you to much appoo about nothing getting in progress?
Speaker 6: But Pooh mentions here how he stayed because he wanted to pay off his student loan first, and then he's made friends and he's like, well, I do want to go anywhere. I love the people that I'm living with or my friends and family, not family but friends.
Speaker 1: A good citizen, yeah, a solid dude.
Speaker 6: He stayed because he owed a debt to the country.
Speaker 1: Someone you'd someone you'd want as a neighbor, a friend, a member of your.
Speaker 6: Community, doing the job that no one else wanted to do as well running the quick you man't true? Yeah, and as much says, the only crime committed was violating US law. I'm going to vote no, much as she's voting. Know at least is happy about this. Then we have Kurney arriving with his fake ID for Charles Norwood was a B and three of the finest cheapest cigars, and Pooh realizes the fake ID, but he says, look, he'll he just wants to know where the idea is. And if you come with the idea where the ID came from, he'll overlook. The ice cream sandwich is concealed in his armpits. So he buys the fortunate documents from fat Tony. Indeed, sure not gratitude andy, courtesy, you're an American now, so now the quaking mark and he's dacked it all out like a true American. Very uncle, Samy, She's a very stereotypical American, very fourth of July American store.
Speaker 1: I love that he can't keep up the vasava too long though, just particularly he's looking at Yes, what we all thought was the loving forever marriage of Tom and Nicole. Yeah, how one did that finish. I think that wrapped up sometime in the early two thousand.
Speaker 6: The two thousand, wasn't it, because it would have been what two thousand and five before the two five when he was with Katie. Yes, I think what the world was two thousand and five, and I think.
Speaker 1: They split up post Eyes Wide Shut, which came out in nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Who needs the infinite compassion of Gurnesia when I've got Tom Cruise and Nicole Kitman stating at me from Entertainment Weekly with that.
Speaker 1: Dead eyes look at me.
Speaker 3: I betrayed my Indian heritage, Sir? What would my parents think of me?
Speaker 1: Now? Make us prown son. Never forget who you are.
Speaker 5: Don't make the same mistake I did.
Speaker 3: Ooh oh, forgive me mother, father?
Speaker 4: I fail you.
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: Am I kidding? I am no citizen.
Speaker 3: This passport is a cheap forgery, A cheap two thousand dollars forgery. Brought shame to my parents, to my home London, to myself.
Speaker 5: Don't forget an issue.
Speaker 6: So how many brings a poo home? The whole Simpsons family now behind him. So unfortunately there are three blow the voting age, and Homer's not registered to vote either, but suggests that maybe she's get married to somebody, So Homer calls up someone. She says no, because she's already got various.
Speaker 1: Last names married an American ninety day fiance style.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she's only going to marry one more time, possibly for money. Yes, then, Grandma Suggess, you should live in a balloon. Grandpa adds nothing to this episode. No, because that doesn't go anywhere either. So Lista points out that as a grandfather clause and this he has been declared. So Apoo can go for his citizenship as long as he passes the test before Tuesday. That's when the vote's going to be and then he has two hundred years of history to get through. They can't be that many.
Speaker 1: This is the kind of thing.
Speaker 6: Is Nicholas going to be going for her citizenship soon? She has to get certain jobs in the government field. She's looking at these questions. I'm like, I never know the answers to these. Isn't it funny we expect these people to know these sit about the country. Most of the people who live here don't know the answers to these questions. It's just that he can become the tutor. Yeah, and everyone's like, oh, that's not a good idea.
Speaker 5: Please identify this object.
Speaker 2: It appears to be the flag which disappeared from the public library last year.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 5: Now we all know the thirteen stripes over good luck, But why does the American flag here precisely for seven stars?
Speaker 2: Because this particular flag is ridiculously out of date. The library must have purchased it during the brief period in nineteen twelve after New Mexico became a state, but before Arizona did partial credit.
Speaker 6: So he points out the town here, where the town is, And this was just in the nineties. This still felt like a thing of where the Simpsons actually from. No one gives a shit anymore. But I think in the Simpsons movie, Flanders points out the various states surrounding where they are. So I think you can actually work out which Springfield it is. But there's I think Springfield's the most common town name in the US, which is why he picked up that scans. Yeah, yeah, so the now it's tide of the paper again. This is police are preparing for their deportation, and it's a sign through the thing science foot and the way Chief. There's also the subheading you've been mentioning it earlier about the bear that's right with the bombs, the bombs squad or something like that. Yeah, so now the studying, it's not going very well at all. Poo's just not letting anything from home. Home is giving you the wrong answers. It tested in six hours. So Homy gives him his ninth grade history book, says go learn this while go to bed and falls asleep straight away, wakes up realized he's forgotten everything. Perfect, Thank goodness, let's go. So walk pasted all the protesters and in there we've got I think Luigi, doctor nick Mo's in there with his mustache under Maybe see Captain might have been in there, Not too sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I forgotten exactly how many, but yeah, there were certainly some familiar faces in there.
Speaker 6: Yeah. And the police are preparing to round everybody. First round up the tired, then the poor, then the hundred up masses were getting to breath free. That a Pooh gives his long witted answer about the Civil War who caused, as he said, a.
Speaker 1: Very student answer, and he's right on ye, just say slavery, just say slavery.
Speaker 6: Just I thought the reading of that guy was great. The delivery.
Speaker 1: Just say slavery. Shut up, just say slavery.
Speaker 6: So he says, slavery it is, and then which way to the welfare office.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to work.
Speaker 6: So now it's throwing a party for a Pooh at the Simpson's house. He says, I'm an Indian American. Lisa says, all immigrants, you know, except for the Native Americans, the Indian Americans like me. No. Then Homer's speech so a few words, I'd be better public speaker, very funny. Basically, Homer's point here is that we all take the country for granted, except for the people who come here and realize just how great it is. And I say, it's so many people who ran and rave for hawshit Australia is, and like, go somewhere else there and you realize how lucky you are.
Speaker 1: You must be fine at parties.
Speaker 6: I knew I was getting old when I Nick would go to events and there's younger people there saying it extreme, and I'm just like, you have no idea how good you've got it.
Speaker 1: None at all?
Speaker 6: Kids, Oh my goodness, gracious me. But I did also love the cut straight to yes I'm twenty four, resounding ninety five percent, and some points that democracy doesn't work, and a pooh I liked this year democracy doesn't work, and then a pooh immigrants saying, don't knock the country that I love. It's just from both sides, you know what I mean. Yeah, I guess the jury duty throws it in the bin. I've never done it. I've been asked twice, never done it.
Speaker 1: I think I've been asked once and have not done it. I've been asked twice, I've never done it. Yeah, I kind of regret it now. Maybe I never get asked again. But I'm like, I'd be perfectly fine with that.
Speaker 6: But I think fun unless you get a really fucked up case obviously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But Nichola's like us, I'm just afraid I didn't have like during number two the Clean Eatwood movie.
Speaker 6: Well, Nicholas says to me, you know, you realize if I was going to do it. The second told you, guys, if you do it, you might be aut a commission for like three four weeks, depending on the case. And I was like, ah, yeah, I don't want to be doing this.
Speaker 1: I can't podcast solo. I don't know which buttons.
Speaker 6: He's just sitting here talking to the microphone. Nothing turned on yet, It'll work itself out, can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 6: But things have worked out for the people they care about. Cut too really on a ship, lows he in greats and he's off on his way home. That is our review. I've much chapoo about nothing. Fantastic episode. Really enjoyed a.
Speaker 1: Good episode, very relevant in these times. Yes, yes, we are occasionally getting upset about immigrants when we really shouldn't. We're all, you know, passengers on the on one big boat called the SS Earth. What do we learn, Bomber? What did you learn about the episode? Oh?
Speaker 6: What did you learn from this episode? Not about?
Speaker 1: What do you learn from this episode? The more can't work the knob? Yes?
Speaker 6: Apparently so I learned that there's ever a problem, it's demimigans. I asked the patrons for some questions. Got a couple here.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 6: James Daniel says, what are the best three episodes to show someone that never watched The Simpsons as a kid and doesn't get the hype. I've started off with Homer's Enemy, but it's so referential to other episodes that I'm thinking that was a bad idea.
Speaker 1: I think so as well.
Speaker 6: One of the appeals widespread. You're gonna have like a mixture episode to You're gonna have one that has emotional I think, like, uh, Maggie Makes three has to do it for her at the end because you can't watch that and not cry. One that's just full of gags. Gag gag, gag gag gag. Are you throwing like a large rest of the monorac? And I think maybe yeah? And what would another one be? I think have a story that's incorporates the town.
Speaker 1: Because twenty two short films about Springfield, that one.
Speaker 6: That one doesn't give a good reflection of what the show is though, but it does give you good understanding of what the characters are. Twisty short films could work. Maybe something like a Bart's comet where they all sort of like just on the involves Radio Bart, but involves the whole town doing something together. Anyway, It's all right, Andrew JP final and here, what's your favorite Fish out of Water sitcom? He used to love Perfect Strangers as a kid.
Speaker 1: I knew he was going to say Perfect Strangers. It's like the ultimate Fish out of Water city. Okay, I don't think I ever watched it Perfect Strangers. No, no, BALKI do you know the same? No idea? What it is? Perfect Strangers? Perfect Strangers? Well, I think it was basically created because the actor Bronzon Pinchot, who was Serge in the in the Beverly Hill Cop where he's like, oh, this guy can do accidents and people seen to like that. How about we have him as a wacky foreigner who comes from it's like a pro borat comes from like some weird European nation, comes to New York City. He's got a distant cousin of the seasons, yeah, moves him with his with his cousin is a bit straight laced, and you know, this guy doesn't really know anything about the West and it's customed. So he's also always you know, being inappropriate and embarrassing. But he's got a really good heart and everyone comes to love him and you go, fat that guy is? Now have you seen it? Which one the main actor Bronson? Check this out? Even twenty twenty three? That could be anyone? What's what's his name? Mark Lynn Baker, Mark Lynn l I double Len Baker.
Speaker 6: Have a look see that big fat Dynamo. It's literally like Home in the movie, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Yah? I think that's him.
Speaker 6: I reckon if someone is playing funny buggers to get me to clickbait on the vote on the article.
Speaker 1: Why would anyone on the internet do that. I have no idea. No, you look at him.
Speaker 6: He's not fat. I mean he's not He's not thin thin, but he not fat. Someone someone's I'd be furious if I was Mark.
Speaker 1: You're trying to think of another fish out of water city. I have watch a different straketions as a kid. That's true, and Nanny's fish out of water. It's it's really a sitcom statele, isn't It's like you should Prince the bel Air. You don't belong in this situation.
Speaker 6: Prince of bel Air the nanny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bes ex actually a fish in water as the one guy who actually knew what was going on from the sun. Many fishes out of water, actually many fish out of water. Well, they say sip with the fishes. Apparently the plural of fish is fish. But when you're talking about different types of fish, that's when you say fishes. English is so weird, isn't it. Why would you come to America when you have to learn this fuck doublank oh man, all.
Speaker 6: Right, well that is I said our of you. I've much approved about nothing. Would love to hear your thoughts on the episode. I do read all of your emails, so it's just mailbag a figure discount dot com dot au. I'd love to hear from you. I send through some mailbag questions for future episodes as well.
Speaker 1: I will read them, I promise, yes.
Speaker 6: And also please don't forget to rate and reviewers on Apple Podcasts, Spotify whereby do you find this show? Got over three hundred and fifty reviews now on Spotify, so please keep them coming much appreciated.
Speaker 1: And we've got over a fourteen.
Speaker 6: Hundred I think on iTunes on Apple Wow, yeah, so keep those coming as well.
Speaker 1: It takes yet although all the star ones where people actually write nice things.
Speaker 6: Yes, so that's five star ratings, but also got plenty of reviews coming through as well. We did read them more and it's much appreciatid it boosts my ego when I nearly throw in the towel like oh this one person li like.
Speaker 1: But I keep going and then Dan I boost my ego.
Speaker 6: Screenshot and saying see soone late that well we do listen.
Speaker 1: Ah, it's not just us talking the into the void, not at all.
Speaker 6: It's any final words for those incredible listeners out there.
Speaker 1: We hope you've enjoyed this country. Bear Jamb Route