Speaker 1: Bonus.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is Brian, and before we begin, I want to set up the start of this bonus episode. Before we'd hit record, Zachie read me a message he'd received, playfully stating that in our Odyssey review he had gone pretty hard on people who had been bad mouthing the movie before they'd seen it. This led to a conversation between Zachi and I about performative bad mouthing and negativity on the internet, and well, it pretty much picks up right about there.
Speaker 1: It's it's interesting because because I think what we saw, and this is something I talked about on our show, you know, several years ago, how there was a tendency towards what I call like performative wokeness, and I found that very phony and hollow too, right, So I mean, to me, this is like two peas in a pod, right, These are like, these are the extremes that need each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean so much of it is performative now, I mean even the stuff, there's the obvious stuff.
Speaker 3: You know, I talk about this all the time.
Speaker 2: I don't want to lump all influencers in with this, but many influencers have this thing where it's like, Okay, a studio has paid me to go watch this movie. So I'll go in here and put this hat they gave me on, and I'll act like this was the most transcendent night of my life. Yeah, you know, and when it's extra phony and performative and they're playing like a character almost like you know what they're doing, they're act I think these things are directed at adults. I have to imagine, but they're acting like a character out of like a Blues Clues TV show, you know, Like, you know.
Speaker 3: I saw this movie tonight. You won't believe what it is. It was amazing. My life's different now.
Speaker 2: And it's like, dude, I you know, like and so that stuff kind of drives me crazy. But I do think then there are other people, to your point, who aren't acting like they're genuinely angry about certain things, which they aren't. They just know it's going to get them engagement clicks, money, right, and to use your phrase, they are for their own selfish profit microwaving people's brains.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like you know, I've used this example before. But back in nineteen eighty nine, there was a movie came out called Batman. I think you've heard of it, and you had a character called Harvey Dent played by a guy called Billy D. Williams. Yes. Now, I'm not gonna speak for you here, but me personally, I saw the movie and then later on I found out that, oh, Harvey Dent is the character two face, and I was like, oh, oh that's cool, you know, And that was the extent of my reaction. At a ten year.
Speaker 3: Old Lando could be two face cool.
Speaker 1: That was the extent of my reaction. And I have a feeling very broadly that was the extent of most people's reactions.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, now, cut to you know, twenty twenty six, and we have the Master's of Universe movie. You come out and you have Adris Elba, who is at least as good an actor as Billy D. Williams, at least as respected cast as Man at arms. And what do we see online? Oh, look at how they're making this woke? I know, I know, right, So this is to me a perfect evocation of how our discourse has, you know, de evolved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we didn't used to be like this, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's strange, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You know. I was even recently thinking about the movie Independence Day, and just how diverse that cast is. And when that movie came out in nineteen ninety six, I wasn't thinking about how diverse that.
Speaker 3: Cast was, right, it was just the cast.
Speaker 2: It's strange, like I love that phrase, the microwaved our brains, they have, and for some people it's scrambled their brains in such a way that now they're spouting stuff that I don't even know that they really feel. They're almost like regurgitating exact and they're making me, who used to not even think about this stuff, notice things where I'm like, oh, so I's gonna get mad about that, and I don't even like having that thought. I just want to watch the damn movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's it's funny because again, like using Eat yourselb as an example, he is objectively one of our great actors absolutely moment, right, and any rational person is like, holy shit, you got Idris eld Up on Men at Arms? Yeah right, right, that's crazy, right, And by the way, he was great in that movie. And and so again it's it like, you know, really, let's drill down here, what is it in you? Not you, not you, Brian? Just the general you point me while I have you, Brian, you that would hear that casting and you're you're just your reflexive go to reaction. The base that you touch home to is oh this is woke. Yeah. I don't think you even understand what that means.
Speaker 2: You know, I know, And well it makes me think obviously, well this the this.
Speaker 3: The Odyssey. Sorry I was I was going to go into like three different directions.
Speaker 2: But speaking of the movie The Odyssey, where there was this whole discourse about like, well I don't like this actress being cast as this person. Yeah, well actually it turns out they're pretty good in it. Well I don't like that there are armor isn't historically accurate?
Speaker 3: Okay, you know what I mean. Like, it's just like.
Speaker 2: I'm just mad. That's what it distills down to. I'm just mad. And this is my target now because other people are telling me this is a target this week.
Speaker 1: Well my my favorite because because what we're seeing right now, right we're about a week into the Odyssey's run, and it's it's it's well on its way to making all the money. Yes, if there is money.
Speaker 3: It will make it, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: Uh So people are showing up there enjoying it. I mean there's sellouts. I mean this it's it's objectively empirically a massive, massive hit. And this this goes to something you and I talk about all the time. I guess what if you it, they will come make stuff people want to see. They're gonna show for it. So now during you know, the folks who had been decrying the movie's release over the last to to you know, four months, now, they're in kind of their version of the stop the Steel moment where they're like, no, the theaters are faking that they're full. I mean real kakamimi stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, well, I thank god I haven't seen any of that stuff because I just it's I don't know how I miss that.
Speaker 3: So I see some of it, but not all of it.
Speaker 1: I haven't set well, you have a healthy you know what's funny, by the way, is I I like to believe I have a healthy life online balance because I don't spend too much time in this stuff in these trenches, you know, but you know, you dip in and I realized that I've like when I use Twitter, I've I've got a plug in that basically really filters out a lot of shit.
Speaker 3: A plug in.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so I I don't use the app. I use it in my browser, and I've got, like I said, I just put in a plug in that really it makes it It's still shitty, just to be clear, but it makes it slightly less shitty.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, so a lot. So it's not really skewing my algorithm very much. But you know, just from talking to people whose whose heads are are are are ensconced in this, you know, like they're dicking dipping their head in a pool, they really see some of this. But I'm like, Ben, I couldn't live like that, you know. Yeah, Like even if I'm I'm paying attention just for critique, I'm like, this is like Donnie Brasco territory, you know, like right right. But I saw, in addition to this, the the oh, the theaters are lying about about the seats being full, which totally that sounds like something a MC would do, right, Like if people want to watch The Odyssey, they'll be like, sorry, it's sold out, wink, right, That's what Regal is all about, you know. Yeah. But I saw somebody online was like, uh it posted a picture of Elliott Page and the Niango in the Odyssey and they're like, well, if their screen time is so short, then why did the studio put them all over the marketing? And it's like, bro, they didn't.
Speaker 3: No, that's you guys, that's y'all. Yes, yeah, I just I don't know the anger.
Speaker 1: It's so it's it's weird. I mean, there there's so many see this. This is I had a conversation with this about this rather with my friend with Jahalli over over the weekend, and we were just talking about the box office reception to The Odyssey and everything else, and one thing I said is, I think this proves two things. Number one, it proves how well two things. First, it proves that that Elon Musk has utterly destroyed Twitter like any utility it had right is gone. Right because because by virtue of whatever he's done to that site, algorithmically, he's shown that it has no it, It has no bearing or reflection of the overwhelming majority of humanity.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, good point.
Speaker 1: The right. The stuff that people are pissed off about on that hell site, other people are just living their life and so you know, talk about talk about spending four billion dollars and just throwing it down the drain. So all of this is I mean, it's it's interesting because the Odyssey, I'm gonna say, even ten years ago, none of this woke discourse or anything would have even plugged in. It would have been a standard four quadrant blockbuster, right, And so again you see how things have changed, where again everything is so it's you had you have engagement farmers whose income, whose livelihood is contingent upon you getting pissed off. Yeah, and we got to think about that, you know. Yeah, yeah, I mean shit, I used to man, I used to say this about talk radio back in.
Speaker 3: The day, you know, yeah, but it didn't have like the reach, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, now we all have the device in our pockets, every single one of us.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's just the next evolution of that, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, it taps into the way human beings are wired. We're all susceptible to it. It's just some people are able to recognize it and reject it, whereas others just just the way they're wired or whatever insidious way it's reached them, they might more easily fall prey to it, you know, and then get their brains microwaved.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing right, because because we really, I mean, we seek validation, and sometimes that validation comes in some random bot hitting like on whatever stupid nonsense we posted, right, And and that's that's the problem. You could say something just egregiously stupid, you know, you know, nine to eleven happened because of Steve from Blues Clear, and most people would be like, all right, let's just you know, walk past this guy, you know, yeah, don't make eye contact. But you put that on Twitter, you're gonna have like three people who hit, like three or three accounts that hit like and suddenly you're like, all right, look at this, I got some takers for my shit, you know. Yeah, And that's a problem, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you've got enough people willing to kill themselves thinking they'll join a spaceship behind a comet, that's right.
Speaker 3: Obviously enough people.
Speaker 2: Are wired in such a way that they will see that comment to go interesting, you know, that's right. And also I want to say I was making I think what I was just saying right before you were speaking. You know, people who see this stuff and then maybe they're susceptible and then they get sort of converted or something.
Speaker 3: I'm making it sound like they're all innocent. Some of them may be, and then they.
Speaker 2: Do get their their wires fried. But other people they have this darkness in their heart already and they're just being emboldened. So I don't want to make it sound like all these people are innocent. It is making some people who have these things inside go oh, I can say the quite part loud now, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, there is. You know, there has historically been sort of like social regulation. Right, You exist among people, and and by virtue of having to interact in your day to day existence, you kind of figure out, you know, the proper way to conduct yourself. And you can call it censorship, self censorship, or just like coexisting, but it's that same thing, right, like, just just how to be right. And far too often social media has actually fed our our anti social instincts, where it's like, well, I just want to say whatever I want and if you don't like it, tough, you know, without any any cost attached, right, And and that's kind of what we're seeing right. Like again, a lot of these folks on the internet, the rage farmers, well they've they've built they've built their brain and they've built their livelihood around it. So they're doing fine, but the people who follow in their footsteps maybe not so much. You know, I think that the success of the the unquestionable success of the Odyssey is maybe this is this is the optimist in me here. Maybe it's the thing that finally breaks this this mass delusion that somehow social media matters.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, because I think there's a lot of folks who are like tweeters who maybe just kind of listen to These folks are going to watch this movie and be like, I don't know, man, what's the big deal?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, I have seen some people do that.
Speaker 1: So you know, maybe maybe it maybe it took Christopher Nolan to make this happen, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was the He's the chosen one, the chosen one for this moment new we Actually I want to ask you were going to see it a second time? Did that pan out?
Speaker 1: I'm trying, Okay, it's I've had this convergence off. You know, we have guests staying over, plus it's a three hour movie, plus trying to get into I'm not even bothering trying to get into a seventy millimeter I just wanted to get into the Fomax in my neighborhood. M Yeah, but even that has been somewhat challenging, so I expect it'll probably be sometime next week hopefully.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've I've spoken with people who are trying to do the IMAX thing and they're like, yeah, no's it's it's booked through August.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's tough because I'm telling people, look, just go see it, go see it on a big screen. You'll be fine.
Speaker 3: That's what I was saying. I was like, would that be nice? Would that be cool?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and if you get an opportunity, that would be great. But really truly, at the heart of it, it's a great story, Yeah, told in a really exciting and epic way, and just go to the theater and you're you're gonna get that, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, I guess they've done the work of making people really want to see the the you know, the seventy millimeters. I'm a so kudos on the marketing.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah, and it will be a.
Speaker 1: Great experience for sure, you know. And I I I didn't see Odyssey in seventy million, but I saw Oppenheimer and seventy miliary and it was fantastic, So I I know you will get something special, but the movie itself is special too. Yeah. Yeah, I'm I'm hoping, hoping, hoping to catch my second viewing sometime in the coming week. Uh. And of course we got we got Spider Man brand new day coming up. So it's like it's I'm sort of balancing many plates because you know, I have kids who want to watch this and I'm gonna I have like multiple screenings of Spider Man uh in the barrel. Mm hmm. These are these are good problems to have. But yeah, this is because because my wife wants to watch Odyssey and I want to go see it with her. And you know, again it's it's you know, having somebody watch the baby for three hours can be more challenging, you know.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I can't even imagine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean three hours, that's just the film, and it's getting to the theater and getting back and you know previews if you're.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean in that sense, we are very fortunate because and you know this because our movie theater is like less than a five minute drive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, both of us are really lucky, all right.
Speaker 1: So it's like I'm able to budget based on like, okay, I know exactly when to park so I can roll into the theater just as the trailers are ending. You know, I'm and this also helps me in that I know this is something you complain about, Like I keep seeing this trailer again and again. I'm like, man, I don't ever see the trailers.
Speaker 2: Really, Oh my gosh, there, yeah, the cat and the hat. If I had to hear him say did you say two to fart one more time?
Speaker 3: I was gonna lose it.
Speaker 1: I've not seen it even once.
Speaker 3: Oh really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh wow?
Speaker 1: Okay, And I know there's like a Jessica Tastain movie that I guess. Oh yes, what's the story behind this? By the way, so it's called Other Mommy, I think okay. And I was like, other Mother was right there, right, it was right there. It drives me crazy. I've seen it twice now.
Speaker 2: And the way they do it is it's like an all white screen and it's just like oh t h E R.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, other Mother, genius.
Speaker 2: If I worked at a studio and you dropped a script on my desk and said other Mother, I'd read it immediately.
Speaker 3: I don't know why. It's just a great title, but then it's like other Mommy. I was like, no, what, so is this like a horror picture? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So it's you know, this is one of those unique things where I don't think people would be talking about this trailer except Odyssey is such a phenomenon that so many people have experienced that everyone is now seeing this particular trailer, and so it's getting talked about like it is. Basically, it starts with Jessica Chestain is this sort of Stepford Wives seeming mother like, oh, hi, do you want some ice cream? You know, like being really sweet to the girl. But then you realize there's something kind of off, and then it turns out that's not really her mom, and it's like some sort of duplicate and the I think the moment everyone's talking about is the girl then walks into the kitchen in another scene and doesn't see the mom at the counter, and then she looks down and the Chestain character is all contorted in a weird sort of spidery exorcist sort of way under the counter and it's like a jump scare. Okay, but she's got this big Stepford smile on her face.
Speaker 1: Hmm. So you know, I don't know, it's like it's scary or funny that moment.
Speaker 3: To me, Uh, it's creepy. I don't know, Like it didn't.
Speaker 2: It takes a lot, I think, to really scare me or make me jump these days.
Speaker 3: But like I understand in a.
Speaker 1: Fat like inadvertently funny is what I'm asking.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: If people find it ridiculous, I would in my experience people actually jumped because they're expecting it.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, It okay, But.
Speaker 3: That is funny that it's become sort of a thing.
Speaker 2: I'm actually loving, like all the shared conversation about the experiences of watching this, and like the memes I've been sending you a lot of the memes. Yeah, the one that cracked me up the most was James Franco from Spider Man two playing Harry Osbourne.
Speaker 1: Oh that was very funny.
Speaker 3: He's like walking out of rubble and from the movie. This is his line in the movie. He goes, I'm ruined.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, over the top, it says me after watching the Odyssey, and then it's Harry Osbourne being.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm ruined. I have nothing left except Spider Man wrecked by the Odyssey. Bring on Spider Man.
Speaker 1: What is kind of funny is it seems like the Spider Man marketing is leaning on this is something like smaller scale and lower key to unwind after the odyssey, right, right, right, I mean they're really leaning hard into just ground level Spider Man antics. And isn't that nice? You know?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: And I have a feeling it's gonna work. I mean, I I have no reason to think that movie is not going to perform like Gangbusters, but that is interesting how the center of gravity has shifted, you know, and and you know what, this is Nolan's moment. It's not gonna last forever.
Speaker 3: Yes, we've talked about that in recent months.
Speaker 2: I mean, with Spielberg in Disclosure Day, like he he was the indisputable king of the world when it came to movies. And and even if you weren't a film person, like you saw the new Spielberg movie and you could count on it making all the money.
Speaker 3: And now it's kind.
Speaker 2: Of weird to see Disclosure Day be like okay, received, all right, it performed okay, so yeah, but this is Nolan's moment for sure.
Speaker 1: And enjoy it while at lasts and I think he knows that to some extent, right, I mean, the red carpet doesn't run infinitely into the horizon. You know.
Speaker 3: He seems like a very perceptive person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I sent you this article. It was in Vulture listing like the hundred most powerful Directors. Oh yes, yes, did you have a chance to glance at I did.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'm going to pull it up right now. I didn't have it open for this, but I did, and it was very interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, certainly just in terms I mean, granted this is filtered through the lens of the author of that piece, but as a snapshot of Hollywood at this moment, I found it, you know, instructive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, you just hit the nail on the head because there were some people I was like, oh, interesting, really, but actually, if you do look at this moment right now and what certain people could wield. Don't even know if it'll be the same in a year. Maybe it wasn't the same five years ago, but right now, yeah, I feel like it's pretty accurate.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and just sort of looking at the I mean, the list is quite expansive, but just just looking at the top ten, and when I sent it to you, I was like, you know number one is without even looking at it. Yeah, no, no suspense, it's Christopher Nolan. I think I think two through ten is just as interesting. Though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm opening up. It has a paywall, so I'm like getting past the paywall.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I no, No, it's all good. It's all good, guys, go ahead. I remember, I remember most.
Speaker 1: Well in the number two spot, we have Ryan Kugler. Yes, which, certainly in terms of directors who you're like, well, if that person is making a movie, I want to see it mm hmm.
Speaker 3: And a studio wants to make it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And and the fact that you know, with Sinners, he was able to make a deal that essentially allowed the movie to revert to him in what was like twenty.
Speaker 3: Five years, thirty years, Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 1: I mean that that was him betting big on his own talent and and and it paid off beautifully. H And so you know you're going to see a lot more directors trying to get the Coogler deal, you know, yep, yep. Number three is Dennis Villeneuve. Now that's fast to me because here's a guy who I've watched just slowly but steadily work his way up the rankings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would not have expected the director of Prisoners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was about to. I was gonna use a Prisoners. I remember watching Prisoners.
Speaker 3: And the phil Bad movie of the year.
Speaker 1: I mean, a freaking great movie. But not when I can rewatch a ton you know, mm hmm, between Dune and and you know his his James Bond Revival. I mean, if if James Bond hits, then he's he's gonna have his pick of whatever project he wants.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is Brian And that was a preview of an hour long bonus episode where Zaki and I discussed reactions to the Odyssey Vulture dot COM's ranking of the most powerful directors in Hollywood, and then we followed that up with a pretty lengthy discussion about the new trailer for Avengers Doomsday. If you'd like to hear the entire conversation, head on over to our Patreon feed, which you can find at patreon dot com Slash Movie Film Podcast. Once you're there, subscribe for just five dollars a month and you'll be able to access all of our commentaries and all of our episodes without any ads or interruptions. Butting in you'll also find bonus conversations like this one in their entirety, dropping about twice a month, so head on over to patreon dot com slash MOVIEFILM podcast and subscribe today.
Speaker 3: We'd be very grateful. Take care and see you next week.