Speaker 1: City by CARECD talk station, Happy Wednesday. The world's a better place. Thank you to Claremont County Prosecutor Mark to Coulby, along with assistant prosecutors Christine Detillo and Zachary Zipper, as well as the Union Township Police Department for all the work they did on prosecuting and convicting Charlie Theetterman. Welcome to the morning show. How Many County Prosecutor Mark to Culvey on behalf of my entire what Joe, I'm sorry, Claremont County Prosecutor Mark to Colby on behalf of my entire listening audience and me personally for taking care of this vile human being. Let my listeners know about what this guy did and what you went through and prosecuting him.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me on my pleasure. It's great to be able to communicate with the community about this sort of, as you say, vile individual. This involved a young woman known to him, under age at the time fifteen sixteen years old, and he obviously ninety three counts facing up to four hundred and fifty some years in prison. This came to light a few years ago. It was investigated extraordinarily well by the Union Township Police Department, Chief Reese and his detectives did a great job on this. Clairemont County Children's Protective Services got involved early on and was instrumental and more fully developing the initial allegations so the police could do something meaningful with him. This sick individual, theaterman, he videotaped every one of these.
Speaker 1: Crimes, ninety three felony charges. We've got rape, growth, sexual imposition, sexual battery, pandering and sexual ornament oriented material, involving a minor, and tampering with evidence. But he recorded all of it.
Speaker 2: He recorded every bit of it. And with the cooperation between my office, the assistants of our highly trained victim witness advocates and all of us who pete great heed and attention to Marcy's will to protect victims, and with the expertise of my assistant prosecutors, mainly Christina Dondolo, who has vast experience in protecting and prosecuting these types of cases and protecting these types of victims. The jury had to sit through days and days of vile, disgusting videos. This victim is crying, telling theedman that she hates him. But they did their job as in their civic duty. They sat through this trial, They deliberate, and they returned a verdict of guilty on all accounts. And we are going to be extremely pleased to go to court for his sentencing on August twenty sixth at one pm and demand that he received a substantial sentence. One we believe it will ensure that he never gets out of prison alive.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know, adding insult to injury bad enough that he molested this young woman. He represented himself a trial and after having to see all of the horror that he meted down upon this young woman, he got to question her about this. I cannot imagine what was going through her head.
Speaker 2: She is one of the most brave and courageous victims. If you probably have a good idea how child's sex abuse victims suffered this trauma for their entire life.
Speaker 1: Yes, came through.
Speaker 2: It was a horrible experience for her. But we met with her. My assistants met with her, the victim witness advocates met with her and did our best to handle her in a respectful and dignified way and still at the same time go through these materials that were discussing so she could be ready for trial, prepared for trial, and that we could secure a conviction against this this disgusting pig.
Speaker 1: Well Clarimon County Prosecutor to Caulby, you also illustrate one of the more disturbing elements of what law enforcement and the other agents he's involved with this have to go through. I recall them when my sister, before she retired from the CINCINNT Police Department, spent a number of years in the Special Crimes Department, which involved yess, in part, molesters of children, and the weight of having that on your mind, knowing that there's this pervert out there probably continuing to do this this commit these crimes while you're gathering enough evidence to prosecute them. They're still out there, don't I couldn't go home and sleep at night knowing that.
Speaker 2: Well, and you made me think that this opportunity you're giving me to speak on your show is it is an avenue for me to convey to the public if anyone knows of a victim of a crime of any type, but in particular this type of crime sexual abuseful child, encourage them to come forward. There are many many services out there, yes for metal health treatment, and certainly law enforcement knows how to investigate these matters. And yeah, there enough evidence is here to secure convictions and protect the public.
Speaker 1: And I know the Union Township Police Department did their best to look into it. But you're talking about there was one single victim with all this video, and she was the one that had to testify in court. Are there any other victims out there? I mean, you say, if you looked, Because usually these perverts are looking for opportunities wherever they are.
Speaker 2: I would say, you're correct, and that is generally what I believe to be true from my experience. We know of no other victim.
Speaker 1: Of the good. Did you have some connection? I'm thinking of the parents out there that maybe they're one of their children is going through this right now and they have no idea that it's happening. Is there information or advice you can give to parents what to look out for, or I mean anything at all by way of advice. I mean, this obviously went on for a long period of time, considering the number of charges that were made.
Speaker 2: Yes, did. I'm going to hand you off to Christina Dabelo. She handles these. She's the chief assistant in my office, handles these these horrible sex abuse cases. Again, she's vast experience, and she if you don't mind to what I think, she can probably give you a better answer.
Speaker 1: Than I'm I'll be more than happy to talk to her and thank her in person. Get her on the She's right.
Speaker 3: Here you, sir, Good morning. This is Christina Dottello. Your question was, are there signs and things that parents could look out for? Is that right? Yes, yes, I'd say primarily a lot of kids who are being abused tend to start dressing differently. They if it's a female who who is being abused, she often wants to associate with boys, wants to be a boy, wants to change her name to a boy or something else, wants to start dressing differently. They've often told me and my coworkers that they want to associate with anything but the gender that they were because that gender is what keeps getting abused. So that's one big thing. Another thing is ifanging and sleep habits, eating habits, if they start withdrawing from friends, family, just big change in behavior. But one of the big ones is there are a lot of kids changing their names right now and changing their genders and their identities that's a huge one.
Speaker 1: How about that. I've never heard that before. Oh my god, Oh my god. Now did she have any connection with this guy? Because you know, I think quite often you'll hear it's the uncle who was involved. I mean, are there warning signs for parents to look out for for people who are you know, connected with the family in some way that brings them around regularly that is suggested that their behavior is inappropriate and maybe something's going on behind the scenes that they need to keep their eye out for.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it's just common sense. Keep your eye open, your eyes open, if you see something that strikes you as a little odd, then look into it because it might be Trust your instincts, and I am going to hand you back to Mark.
Speaker 1: Well, thank thank you on behalf of the entire community, Assistant prosecutor. That it's just I really truly pre what you do and what you go through on behalf of protecting children, because I could not personally cope with having to look at this type of evidence. It just it brings up bio in my throat to even talk.
Speaker 3: About it, I know, And that's why I appreciate Mark so much, because he's given me the opportunity to handle cases like these, and that's my primary focus, which makes me better at it. So I have to thank my boss, Mark Tokolby for allowing me to do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a good man, and you obviously are not standing assistant prosecutor. Well, but you don't need to give back just I have an evidentiary question to ask you. I was a litigation attorney, but I practice it exclusively in civil litigation. So in spite of my knowledge of the criminal justice system, I'm just wondering, from an evidentiary perspective, was there any way to prosecute this case without having to provide all of this video, every single one of them to the jury for the trial. I mean, isn't like an illustration of it enough so they don't have to suffer through it?
Speaker 3: As far as providing the video to the jury, that's the best evidence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hate to hear that.
Speaker 3: I know. Here is my boss. Thank you so much for you. Thank you very much, Brian, Thank you for much.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Kama County Prosecutor Mark to Calvey again, congratulations on the outstanding work. I know you're hard at work on other cases out there. Did how did this first come on your radar? If I could ask real quick because it took obviously it sounded like several years from start to finish.
Speaker 2: As most cases do. There's a report to somehow gets filtered to the police department of all involved in time Union Township, who we work very closely with all law enforcement agencies from the outset. They don't just bundle up a case and bring it to us. When they have something that pops up or comes to their attentions as an emerging investigation today, they get a hold of us right away. We're typically there on the ground floor with them, working together with them to put together the best case we can.
Speaker 1: Clearly you did in this case. Well, I hope he gets all four hundred and fifty years he's eligible for. He'll have a great time prison giving these a child molester. We all know that, Clairemont County Prosecutor to Calby, thank you so much for spending time with my listeners and me this morning on this case and for the great work you did leading up to the prosecution. I'll look forward to the sentencing day which is coming up August twenty sixth one if you want to be there.
Speaker 2: Thanks Bi Brian, let me close out with this, Nashield. Next week is National Police Night Out. Oh yeah, we're there Tuesday. The Sheriff's office and Goshen PD and Milford p D and Miami Township PD have theirs. Peerce Township has THEIRS on Wednesday, and Union Township has THEIRS on Thursday. So we would encourage everyone to come out to speak with the police officer and get to know them. It's a it's a great community event and.
Speaker 1: An opportunity to thank them for the hard work they they are involved with each and every day. Thank you very much, sir, it's been a pleasure having you on this show. Great job, great job. E fifty six but you got cares the Talk Station Big Picture with Jack Addan about letting children vote. Donovan Neil talking about the one Small Step campaign. You can get involved, Just a little bit of efforts going to go a long way. Judge Betsy Sunnoman on curfews not working, and that's because the police have been told not to enforce them. Judge and Paulton. Of course, my conversation with Claremont County Prosecutor Mark to Kalby, it's all there. Fifty five KRC dot com on the podcast page. Tomorrow Sarah Haringer, widow of the late stabbing victim from downtown Cincinnati. She has been on a tear and a rant for reform in the city of Cincinnati. She'll join the program in studio tomorrow for a full hour along with the other guests lined up. Thank you Joe Stracker, you do a great job man. Folks, have a great day and stick around Glendex.
Speaker 3: Up next.
Speaker 2: President Trump made clear that a peaceful resolution was possible if I Ran agreed to give up its nuclear weapons ambitions.
Speaker 1: Another updates at the top of the hour. Fifty five KRZ the talkstation