Speaker 1: This week on game Spot after Doc, I'm joined by Tomorrow, He's saying, Michael Hyam and Ben Jankett to talk all about the brand new Final Fantasy fourteen update, the new Nindi's event, and the halcyon days of our summer gaming. Hello everyone, and welcome to GameSpot After Dark, Episode eighty nine. I'm your host Lucy James and joining me this week. We've got Michael Hyam, what.
Speaker 2: To do Baby, Ben Janka Hello, and Tomore.
Speaker 3: He's saying, Hi, still here.
Speaker 2: I just sure hope you are said.
Speaker 1: That was all the energy of like an I lived bitch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is like, despite its best attempt to twenty twenty one has not taken me out yet.
Speaker 1: I meant time. I was gonna say give it time. We're barely halfway through the yeir Man.
Speaker 2: However, how's Ramadan treating treating?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how's it going.
Speaker 3: It's it's difficult, but it's it's easier than previous years. So the last two or three years have been very long. If I remember CREPT, they are like nineteen hour fasts. This time it's considerably less. I think it's like fifteen So like from about four or four am in the morning to about seven forty five. Currently it is one like what day they This is the first week of it, so my body is still very much getting used to it. I do have moments where I'm like, I feel like absolute refried ass, But I know and I know that all it will take to fix this feeling is a glass of water. And then I'm like, but dang, I can't have that glass of water. But then you go, but then you go, you know what, who else can't have glasses or people in certain life situations where they can't access this kind of food easily and water easily, and this is what they have to do with every day. So you have to do it for one month, suck it up. And now that you've in that moment, like you think that thought process, and then you appreciate not only glasses of water, but being able to have it anytime. And then you're like, you know what I want, don'tate to charity a bit? Look at the system works.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, because I mean, I've mostly been friends with you for a very long time and worked with you, and I do remember a couple of times Ramadan has happened over E three, which I can't even imagine how difficult that would have been.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will freely admit that. How there were days during the E three, like Ramadan's where I was like, I don't think I can do it today because it was and it was usually one of the days when it was like you're on stage for like six hours in a row and you've got the lights blaring at you, and you're like you're interviewing a CEO of company, and if your brain is just like not working and you're like sweating and you're it's like genuinely can feel dangerous at times. So there's been a few times where I've been like, you know what, for my own safety and for like my function, I might just parson this one. And a lot of people don't really realize that it is for self betterment, and you are like exempt in so many different scenarios. If you're like elderly, if you're you know, ill in any way that could be physical, mental, or if you're just not feeling too good, like you can not to do it and there are ways to make up for it later. So, Yeah, it feels that whenever people ask about it, they feel like, oh, that seems harsh.
Speaker 1: Wall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it kind of seems can be harsh, but also it's for your own self growth, and you can choose not to do it if you're not feeling great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have to run down to those who are participating and celebrating.
Speaker 3: I'm a barrack to everyone.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, halo alla.
Speaker 1: Shall we talk about what we've been playing, Michael. Let's start with you have been playing the same thing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm saying, Oh yeah, I hit them folk for those who aren't watching the video version. Actually there is no video version, so I hit them folk for the folk playing Final Fantasy fourteen. Oh my god, Ben, we gets so good. We got the major patch drop.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 2: It's so fucking wild. Like the day a major like a point something patch drops and Final Fantasy fourteen. Everyone's hyped out. Everyone's on Twitter like.
Speaker 4: Yo, yo, we get high, we get in high.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 2: It's like you've ever been to like a punk or a metal show, and then you're just like the five minutes before like the headliner comes on and everyone's like like saying the band's name. We're just like yo, we're getting hyped out, getting sweaty, like, oh, we're about to open up this fucking pit. Man, three am Pacific time, the pit opens up, everyone's in, let's fucking go. Uh So that's what it feels like to be a final Fantasy fourteen stand on patch day. So uh man, it's it's good though, I think like the new Dungeon is fucking dope. It's being opening up the pit. The song and the New Dungeon is like it almost starts with like a like a like a doom kind of vibe to it. It's got like heavy guitars and and then it comes in with like some sitar, so it's like sounds a little ethnic, you know what I'm saying, because then it's like, you know, hey, you know, just shouts out to all my ethnic folks out there. Oh man, myself. So in case folks, well they can't see me, but anyway, yeah I can't. Ah, I'm immune in certain cases. But anyway, this Dungeon's fire. Though, Like I can't talk. I don't want to. There there are folks who listen to this podcast who are avid fourteen players and some who've actually started, so I don't want to like talk about story specific stuff. But it is very good and like the lead up to it, there's a lot of cut scenes, and because you know, we love them cut scenes, and they're there's a lot of like implications and tying up old story threads, which I think happened a little quick, but there's a there's a great sense of urgency in the current world of Final Fantasy fourteen, So it's I I kind of attribute to that to where like, oh, things are happening fast. It's kind of weird. Oh, all of a sudden, we got solutions for this thing and that thing. But it's like, yo, the fucking world's about to end, so let's get some shit done. So that's kind of what's happening there. Also did the Near Raid, the Near the third, the final, the final part to the Near Automata series Alliance Raid in Fantasy fourteen. Man, that shit is fucking good too, because here's the thing. It's not like the lead up has been kind of like a sort of side story for Near Automata, but this last one is like straight up like marketing for real Near Replicant like this, this, uh, this latest raid part is heavy on Near Replicant and I I've been playing your Replicant, so I uh, I get all the references. I'm like, oh, shit, this is this is so cool that I'm like literally playing that game right now and I'm seeing all of it, all of it represented in Final Fantasy fourteen. I'm like, yo, who the like Yoko Taro and now Kiyoshi are like in a room laughing like, ah, this dude, Michael hi yo, we got his back. We're gonna hit him like We're gonna fucking double whammy, uh with with this ship. So it's it's really it's really cool. And like so there's there are bosses in that raid where the mechanics represent what the bosses do in your replicant. So when I was doing my first run, I was like, I know this mechanic. I know what the bosses are doing here. So then when I'm went in the raid, I'm like, okay, I'm going to Oh I already know. I already know what to do. And it's like I'm playing a completely different game and I already know what to do because I played the play the source material. Man, It's just it's like, oh my god, the ben the you gotta I'm gonna let you, like, well.
Speaker 4: Even even beyond because you're you're talking about how you've been playing Replication and and everything else, and it's been been kind of trailing through with automata all the way through. It actually has a bunch of Dragon Guard stuff in it too. The literal ends Boss is like it's the same setup as the end of Dragon Guard. Like it like.
Speaker 2: It's it's just who played Dragon Guard.
Speaker 4: I feel like people I probably should. I'm pretty sure I want to now one of the endings. You keep it kind of up in the air. Sure, yeah, yeah, yeah, But it's it's impressive that, like through this whole thing. The big thing is definitely the music, because you're you got music from the Zoom which is fantastic, You've got music from from the New Year Games, which is fantastic. And they I felt like they kind of just went all out right from the beginning and did way to the world, mixed with the prelude from Final Fantasy. But they've somehow found a way to outdo themselves with the one for the Last Boss in this one, and it also pulls from Final Fantasy. The whole series, Uh, Dragon Guard and Near like all mixed up together in one song. It's nuts.
Speaker 2: I don't wanna, I don't want to say exactly what song plays, but Ben, You're you've been watching me stream near the original near, so you're familiar with I'm just gonna say you're familiar with that song. Yeah. For me, when it played, I like, I literally like I sunk into my seat like obviously, okay, you're not yell on a video, but I like suck into my seat like, and I was just like I tried so because that that last boss fight is wild. There's a lot of fucking mechanics, uh, and like Final Fantasy fourteen does this a lot where they introduce you to mechanics and as the fight goes on, they keep layering them on, so then you juggle basically every mechanic that you've seen in that fight towards the end of it. And I don't know I was in the I was in the motherfucking zone because I was like, Okay, the color attacks this way, I gotta face that way, and then the trains come in this way. But then like, oh, I'm getting getting targeted. I got to get away from the group, and then what's that set there? I gotta avoid the aoees And like I'm like, I'm not even thinking, I'm just reacting to what I'm seeing on screen, it's a man, are you playing alone? No? This is well I'm playing with I was playing with random.
Speaker 3: Random players, So you're random, yeah, because.
Speaker 2: You have to for that. For all the Near series, you have to play with twenty a group of twenty four.
Speaker 4: I was supposed to take Michael with me, but then our whole group was like, no, we're all down to play today, and then I abandoned my boy like the worst person ever.
Speaker 2: I hate to see it.
Speaker 4: I really hate to see it for people.
Speaker 3: Who might be just starting Final Fantasy, starting zev there's no like timer on that event is there. It's just forever there, forever, always there.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a whole quest line, so whenever you get around to it, it'll be there for you.
Speaker 4: It is. It is the shadow Bringer's main Alliance raid set, because each each expansion has its own, like twenty four man raid set, and like the one four Blood was all the Evilly stuff that had to do with Tactics and Final Fantasy twelve. So you literally go back to Robin Oster and all that and you get to see all those people. Yeah, it shows up, yeah, m Yeah, he's there there. Man, They're always.
Speaker 2: Yeah, guys, delete this the deleted delete this that's his name, right? Fuck? I forgot?
Speaker 1: Like fourteen? Is that game that because I obviously work with you and see you all post about it all the time and just see how much everyone loves it, is the game that I am so like, I really really want to dip my toe into. But it just seems very very intimidating because I've never played an MMO before. I sho tried wow, but it wasn't for me.
Speaker 2: I definitely feel you on that.
Speaker 1: But would you how would would you recommend? Like it would be fine for me to just like I've played a lot of Final Fancy, is that okay for me to just go in?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 2: There's there's an article on GameSpot dot com called you should you should be playing Final Fantasy fourteen Starter's Guide something like that. I think it'll pops it. I think it's like the top search thing in se O when you search Beginner's Guide Final Fantasy fourteen. But I should definitely peep that.
Speaker 1: I think I've read that. I genuinely think I've read it, but it's like it's still very intimidated. Do I do I need it? Do I need it? Do I need friends?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: So I did not. Here's here's what you should notice. See the first like we've said this before, the first kind of expansion realm Reborn, then vanilla stuff is it's dry as fuck. It's not it's not fun. Everyone everyone kind of accepts that. Keep it will what will. What makes it good is it's a podcast that's a that's a thirty hour podcast game. As someone who's done it twice and is now in there like halfway through the second run of a rum Riborn or something.
Speaker 1: Like that, Oh did you get screwed by square in X?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I got screwed by Square in X, so like I had to do it the second time. It's a very good podcast game. What I do is I've mapped every command that I need to, like my mouse, I've got a mouse with loads of buttons, and then like I'm playing basically playing one handed. And then on the other hand, I'm like just on my phone or whatever I can. I can have like a second monitor.
Speaker 2: Not even paying attention to.
Speaker 4: I can't PLAYMOS without that. That's the only mousse I'll ever use. It's a it's like him is.
Speaker 3: Right, you probably won't be paying a lot of attention.
Speaker 2: But then I said that how much.
Speaker 3: How much is there to care about in that? Because there is not a lot to care about in that first.
Speaker 2: Anything that's voiced, pay attention to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The thing about a Rumberborn is it's very dry, and you're getting introduced to all the characters, and it's in that moment of going through a rumber Borne and you're like, oh, god, Dan Kred's doing whatever he's doing. I guess cool. It's it's when you get to the the like Heaven's Ward and storm Blood where you have that background on those characters that it kind of comes around and you're glad that you sort of picked up on it. Yeah, it's it's all late payoff, which really sucks to say all the time, but it's at least.
Speaker 1: Streng Yeah, you get that burn. And like I said, it's streamline. But so I would probably.
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: I can I log into my account and play it on PlayStation if I'm.
Speaker 2: Playing what maybe maybe? Who knows. That's not for me to decide.
Speaker 4: You can as long as you rebuy the game on the other console because you need to have licenses for the game on both places when you're playing.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, gotcha. So that's not like, you know, I would be stuck to PC or something if I because I think I have fourteen, don't they I'll have all the expansions.
Speaker 2: When you download the client on PS four, it asks you to log in as if you were opening a PC client, and then you do that and then it loads up the game. But like Ben says, as long as you have a license for the p S four or what like when you buy the P or when you get the PS four version or PlayStation version, because now there's a PS five, which I should I should also mention published on games dot com, just freshly off the hot off the presses, my impressions of it. But yeah, it's it'll just be like, okay, you're gonna you buy buy it on the PlayStation Store, and then you log into you account. The first time is like do you want to tie your squareness account to this PSN account? Oh? You got that on your ps N account? Cool, Now you go play the game. That's how it's supposed to go. But that's you know, a squarenest account is wild knows all about that.
Speaker 3: I have a PlayStation for account.
Speaker 2: For they said, thought.
Speaker 3: You cannot have that account and if you make an account on the PlayStation. I've mentioned this before, but it basically ties it to your It doesn't create an account, it ties it to your PlayStation profile. So you cannot make another account because you are allowed to have one account tied to that. If you're like me where you get locked out of it because of some nonsense on Square any acidey, you cannot create a second console account.
Speaker 2: To be honest, I feel like we have this conversation every time we talk about so kind of I'm kind of tired of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, I like I think, I think, like I'm hoping that the PlayStation five version is good. So then because I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you should should you should keep the article on GameSpot dot com. There's you know, how off the presses your PS five version is fire.
Speaker 4: There's gameplay videos if you want to see how it runs.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, it looks good in beta, but I'm waiting for it to kind of like I want that final word to be like, now it's worth going through the hassle of.
Speaker 2: Yes, the way that go ahead?
Speaker 4: Man, I was gonna say, I also want to talk about some of like the dumb things that they didn't know that they didn't need to do. But I kind of, like weirdly appreciate because everyone knows like the dual sense controllers are like these weird neat things and they do stuff with the rumble and all that they made different rumble patterns for every mount you every mount, every mount feels different in the way that it like steps or flies. You can feel the wings black walking on different terrain with your feet makes the controller rumble differently. And I'm like you, guys, you could literally spend time with anything for this, and you decided to make dirt feel different from walking on a sidewalk for me.
Speaker 1: And to be fair though, like given, I think the difference is when you play games like Astro and Spider Man and Miles Morales and then you go to like another Triple A game like something like Cyberpunk, where they've done nothing for the duel sense stuff. I really appreciate that because the difference is so huge, and so I'm I'm down for that. I love that is That's a level of intricacy that I'm here for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, p S five version is is pretty good and basically the way it works is like it's called a beta, but really what it is is it's a it's just uh, it's it's like a like an early version of what because they said, if everything goes smoothly, we're just gonna roll the beta into a full service game and that's that on that and we'll have subsequent patches to like improve things here there if hiccups occur. But like right now, I mean I played all day yesterday on PS five, I'm like, yeah, this shits. This is fire Like there's performance hiccups, and I think that that's what they want to do, is like do further optimizations. But right now it's like, yo, this is this is dope. It's like beta. That's the full game. There's there's no they're just calling it beta just like you know, be careful with it in case something does happen. But basically it's like, oh, we have a PS five version of the game. Now cool. That's that's that's basically I wrote a thousand words just saying that.
Speaker 4: Also, it's wild that uh we got our first uh like UI update for the game too, in terms of like resolution, so that game is old for everything. So that game is so old that all of the assets for it were meant to be displayed on like a seven to twenty p output.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: So if so yesterday when we all logged in, uh, the font that was used for like player names was finally being displayed in like the proper resolution ratio. So it was super thin and kind of hard to read for people because it wasn't as blurry and thick anymore, which is wild to me. But uh, yeah, the high resolution stuff for the UIs need. And apparently they're going to start updating old textures too. I read somewhere yes, which is yeah, because older gear, if you get real close to it, looks kind of gross sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was looking, I was looking at some of row Bond's his get up and like, dog, you need to update your fucking.
Speaker 4: Right your your your cape you get that high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, Final Fantasy is uh fucking dope.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I don't know man, that that new I'm still thinking about that new near ray Man, because there's a whole story that that's a tie that's tied to. It's not just like oh go into this dungeon like cool shit happens. You see two B and you see nine S. There's a story of tied to. There's a story tied to it that's actually in universe, so it's not just like this wild near thing that happens and low key, I'm like, yo, this is fucking like kind of sad uh because the the Dwarves in uh In, like the Shadow Bringers universe, they're so cute. They're like, they're they're very they're very expressive, they're they're adorable. Like the way they talk, the way they interact with each other, the way they talk to you. It's like, oh, they're kind of they're really endearing. But there's this whole arc about sacrifice and like building a village and building a community. That's that kind of contextualizes the the Near story. And I'm not gonna say this is a spoiler, but there is a wild motherfucking parallel. If you played, if you played in Europe, you've played Near Automata, and you play this raid, there is a huge parallel between two of the key characters in the Final Fantasy fourteen universe that parallel to major characters in the Near universe. And when I hit that revelation, I was like, you motherfucker, it's oh my god, Okay, anyway, that's that's that's that's it.
Speaker 4: So we haven't even talked about the flipp it the end of the Final Fantasy seven weapons too, because they added the last one of those in there.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, I didn't know that. Yeah, oh yeah, never mind. I know.
Speaker 4: The whole Evangelian storyline.
Speaker 2: The Gundam story. It's Gunda, It's Evangelian. It's also yeah, you get.
Speaker 4: A literal Gundam for like half of these quests that Sid builds for you, and and it ties.
Speaker 2: Back to an og villain from the base game, and it's just like how like and like the whole thing about five point five is tying up old story threads or bringing back a lot of things that haven't been resolve and then resolving them. So but yeah, this patch is like the first part of the whole tie that goes into the next expansion pack. So late may I assume the week after Final Fantasy, for the Final Fantasy Fan Festival, they're gonna launch the Part two, a five point five Part two, which is going to finalize this story. And it's gonna be it's gonna be wild. Because I've played Final Fantasy fourteen for a bit over over two years at this point, but it's all been contextualized in Shadow Bringers, which is what it's the current expansion. Like I was playing leading up to it, it came and I covered it and I did it all Like I love this game. I feel like I've been playing it for ten years. But if only like Shadow Bringers is the thing that that hooked me in, so to leave it behind is gonna be a really weird feeling. But yeah, great, great, great, great game. And I kind of already talked about a near replicant, because you can check out my preview. I've been reviews coming soon. I can say that, but I can't talk any more than are what already did in the preview. But boy, oh my, if y'all I just want to say, like, if y'all fuck with Near Automata Europ again starts slow. It's very much a twenty ten game. I've said as much in my preview, but at least for me, I approach it not necessarily for the gameplay thrills. I'm here, I pull up like, hey, I'm here to cry dog like what's good?
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, I'm ready to just openly weep as soon as I hear any of the songs on that soundtrack again Grimma Vice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been playing the O g One on PS three, sponsored by a tam hashtag lad and you know the vibes. But yeah, it's yeah, it's hits me whenever, whenever, whenever I feel some type of way, like I'm sad about something whatever, I pop into a Near Replicant. I'm like, this is It feels like I'm letting a lot of stuff off my chest. I'm like a lot of things are off my shoulders because I'm like playing this game where everything's so grim and sad, where it's like, I fuck it, I feel y'all. I'm here with y'all, like just fuck me up, fam Like that that's the vibe right there. You go into that ship like, hey, Arel Grimore flies kinda my girl, Yo, Yona, I'm gonna save Yona. This is gonna be tied u Emil. That's my boy, And it's like, all right now, just fuck up my feelings. That's that's that's my preview of Near a Replicant, just enveloped in yep.
Speaker 1: Ben, what else you've been playing except for Fun Fantasy?
Speaker 4: Oh besides Final Fantasy, I I finally played a game called Before Your eyes. So I don't know if any of you guys have heard about it at all.
Speaker 2: I've heard a little bit about it on some hubbub on Twitter.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's uh so, it's it's there's like, this is a game you could play on like a browser or something a long time ago, and they decided to take the concept of it and apply it to like a full game. And it basically the concept of it is you're a person who's recently passed away and you have to get ferried away to where for your you're headed in like your you're afterlife, and the person running the ship forces you to look back on the life that you led so that they can tell the gatekeeper a story to convince them to let you onto the good area of that. And so the idea is you play through these are these moments play out and every time you have to play it with your webcam, and every time you blink, the moment's over and it moves on to the next one. So like it'll it'll play like a real like sad moment in your life with your family, where like your your parents are upset because they can't make ends meet and they're trying to like feed you, and they're not trying to let you know because you're a little kid, and you'll blink and then all of a sudden, you'll be at the point where you're you're sitting at the beach after you've snuck out with your first love you ever had, and you're like, I don't want to blink for this because I want to like see all the good stuff, but you can't, like keep your eyes open. And it's interesting because it's it's a very emotional game, and the fact that they're forcing you to keep your eyes open already makes your eyes water, and so your eyes are already watering because you want to see these good moments play out, and then you just like as as the game goes on, you kind of learn like a weird twist to it and you see a whole bunch of other stuff. It's I don't want to ruin it for anyone. It's like an hour and a half long and it's like ten dollars on Steam, but I'd highly recommend it if you have like an afternoon where you don't have anything else afterwards, because it'll totally kind of throw off your day a bit, maybe, but it's it was it was really really good and really really emotional, and I kind of like that idea of like moments can be gone at any moment, and you've got to sit there and kind of enjoy them while they're there. Don't blink.
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, a blinking thing is the thing that's really just adds a whole other level to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there are so many moments I just get. I was literally upset at myself because I was like, there's one way you get a really good letter from the person that you're in a relationship with, and I got like a moment of relief for the character, which made me automatically blink before I could read the second half of the letter, and I was upset at myself. It was basically them being like, hey, I like you too. I feel the same way. But and then it had like all this other stuff I never saw.
Speaker 2: Oh hate to not see it.
Speaker 1: It's it's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's really interesting and I'd recommend it to anyone who's uh was kind of into that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like I've said as much before, but I'm very selective when I play games now. I feel like I'm too old to be to gamble on my time. I guess like there's a lot of games that seem interesting, but honestly, at this point in my life, I'm like, I need to have a sure fucking bet that what I'm gonna spend time with is going to pay off. And I feel like I've I've come to really understand what hits like, what my tastes really are, and what resonates with me that thousand percent sounds like. Also, like you said, it's like what two hours max, So it's not even that long, say.
Speaker 1: Less game store as well, there you go, what you've been playing?
Speaker 3: So I have been playing a bunch of things. Primarily I'm gonna speak about the Backbone, which I purchased. For those unfamiliar with the Backbone, it's basically a little controller that you jam your iPhone into so you can play video games on it. And it's really good. Yeah, it's super good.
Speaker 2: Like everyone anyone who's mentioned it on Twitter has said nothing but good things about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is, So it's good. So I've got mine hair Like, it's really small, really simple design, elegantly designed, and like it's real good to play games on the iOS. So I've been digging into a bunch of games. I bought it for a fantasic yeah game. Yeah, so because I bought it primarily for that because I was like, I need it's a it's a guc game, so I got to check it out.
Speaker 2: Shout out to the check out that my interview with the Vibes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also the platinum game World of Demons. I think it's called which is. I played a bit of that and it's been fun. Where it really shines, though, is when you use the iPhone to kind of do remote play on PlayStation and stuff like that, because then you can play like something like a Persona or you can even play You can play most games perfectly fine with it borring any delay, Like if you are used to playing a first person shooter on controllers, it will feel good. I have no qualms with Like I feel confident that if I wanted to Internet connections kind of permitting, if I would feel fine about jumping into an Overwatch match right now. And that's that's that says a lot about it. The only thing that I think is not great is the dpad. It feels like a weirdly squishy at times. It feels like it's designed more to navigate menus and for like precise kind of aiming or anything like that. But then the the thumbsticks are super good, like so really really good. The thing that I'm excited about is like having like remote access to Xbox games and game Pass and that kind of stuff through through the Backbone. So but the the the iOS has itself, the Arcade has got a bunch of games that are real good with controllers, like and Cozy growths great on it, and Backbone has their own app where you go into there and you can like add games to it and it will also highlight games. The actual controller itself has got a bunch of cool features, like you can take snapshots and record videos in the same way that you would in a modern controller, and also share that stuff to Twitter and stuff, so it functions like a real good controller. Like there's a lot of gulf out there for buying accessories for mobile games, but this is one that I can like recommend without reservation, Like don't don't waste your time looking, just buy a Backbone. And I know that a bunch of other people have I've seen have been playing and using it, and like Greg, for example, Greg kind of funny approved like like I put a picture of it up and primary like one of the reasons I bought it was because I heard him talking about it so much. I was like, I'm going to try it. It's one hundred dollars. It's the worst case scenario, you know, I just you know, it's not I'm not thinking too much money into it. I mean, one hundred dollars a lot of money, but still Poller.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I got that managing editor money. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's like San Francisco. That's two meals.
Speaker 1: Greg posting about it you now, but also Brian Altano and so like I I'm very very interested. And also because we have a big flight next week, I'm like, oh yeah, Cozy Cozy Grove is generally the game that's making me want to get it because Cozy Grove is so good. So my shit, I can't remember we've talked about it before. It's basically like an animal crossing meat spirit Farer type situation. It's on Apple, Arcade, NPC and Switch too, but like it's it's kind of I don't particularly enjoy the touchscreen part of it to move around, and so I was like, what if I got a backbone.
Speaker 3: I can like, if you're going to get I wouldn't if you've got to San Francisco meals worth of money to spend.
Speaker 1: I just I just spent to San Francisco meals worth on a new suitcase.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I would. I wouldn't like hesitate, like because I know that it's one of those things where you just it feels good to know that you've got it. Yeah, and like I've I've played a bunch of Crazy Grove as well, and I'm excited to check that out on the backbone. But yeah, that's that's That's been the thing that I've been checking out a lot. I've also been playing a lot of Metal Solid too. I'm streaming it, uh TV watch my stream Let's go. But that game is phenomenal. So I bought the original Gog version, which is just absolute trash.
Speaker 1: Like similar because when I was playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's as bad as it's like really really weird. But someone in my chat try lends shot to you and was like, Yo, there's there's this mode out there. Try it. And I applied the mod and it makes that game excellent. It introduces like full screen support, wise full screen support, it's got better textures, it's got uh it adds in support for dual Shock for on Xbox One controllers, and now I'm just like having a great time with it. So solitude popping as straight. And the last thing I got was the which I highly recommend, is they released the WAA asks book Ask Your Water Words of Wisdom from Toria Water, Nintendo legendary CEO. And I'm not that far into it, but it's really, really, really good because like they opened by saying, you know, Iwata was a person who didn't really like to talk about himself in his interviews, and that very much is the case. Like whenever he was talking to anyone, he would be talking about the game itself and very rarely it would be about him. But he had a relationship with a public a website called the Hobo Niktoy Shimbun, which was like just an online publication, and I believe gumpey Yakoi was involved in that publication. Gumpey Yakoi being you know, another legendary Nintendo developer, worked on a bunch of devices and software games, and so he would pop up and give interviews to them, and they felt a little more personal. So that site has got probably one of the best collections of personal anecdotes about the life and times of Iuaa. And what they've done is they've put together with this book that is as much about him as it is about those I asks. It's a mixture of WA's own personal history and it's kind of fascinating. And there's like a everyone you know whenever someone dies that's famous and you're like, oh, that sucks, man, And it can hit different when it's someone that you know. It was within the industry, and I remember it was a really really like there was like a dark cloud over the industry for a while.
Speaker 1: I remember being the office, in the office.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I wrote it. I wrote the obituary for it, and it was rough, and and reading this book you realize very quickly why it hit people so hard, like that dude was. I don't know if he's going to ever be recognized as like a genius in the same way that people absolutely throw their toys out of the pram about Elon Musk and Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, But for me, he transcends them in so many ways. And the fact that no one talks about him that way. He's just a humble person, says it all. But like I'm reading this book and like tearing up at this the loss of this guy who's clearly he through and through just wanted to make games and he wanted to make people happy and bring games to as many people, and you realize, like, damn, this dude was. He was like a one of a kind, like once in a lifetime. It's almost like I'm glad that I got to exist at the same time as this guy. And yeah, I highly recommend reading it. It's just sweet and really nice and supports his legacy. So legend Yeah on Amazon. Rest in peace, Rest and peace to the Goat.
Speaker 1: Well, I haven't been doing or watching anything new because I've mostly just been packing and so the only things I've really done is at the weekend. I did watch a couple of movies for the first time. I watched Good Fellas, which i'd never seen, never seen Fast Times at Bridgemont High, and had never seen The Grand Budapest Hotel. So I had like a little weekend where I watched all of them. But genuinely, the main thing I've been watching and enjoying has been School of Rock, which I watched again last night because we were in the car on Sunday driving back from the park and we were listening to Immigrant Song by led Zeppelin. And so then I went on like this little thing where on Monday, while I was packing, I was watching Thor Ragnar Rock. And then on Tuesday, Tuesday, while I was packing, I was watching a School of Rock. So you can sense the theme here, thank you to led Zeppelin. Other than that, I have I'm reading a book What Big for Me well too on this podcast now. So I've been I've been struggling with my reading for a long time, which is weird because I read. I used to be such a voracious reader, Like I used to read so much and so quickly, and then I just really fell off it. And I'm struggling with seeing a lot of words on screen or like my kindle or like in a book recently. And so I actually started reading one because I think as Christine Steimer posted on her into the story, she was posted a book from this author, Brandon Sanderson, and it was a different book that I remember my sister had read years ago and she really enjoyed it. And then the reason I'm bringing this up is because I've never appreciated an author more. If you search Brandon Sanderson, you go to his website and like there was literally a landing page that says where to start with my books, and it's literally like, if you like fantasy, you should read this. If you don't really like fantasy as much, you should read this. And then he's like given, if you skip down the page, he gives a little synopsies, and then he gives a sample chapter of each one. And so I was just immediately kind of on board with it because I felt like I wasn't, you know, risking my you know, I was actually investing in a purchase that I had write up about a bit. And so I started to read Alantriss, which is kind of fantasy book three different points of view. It's about this old society used to be like essentially God's very beautiful, essentially magical ethereal beings, and then one day this beautiful society collapses. And then fast forward a few years and then you have this derelict city and people develop this disease and just get thrown there. But the disease is like you live forever, but you are essentially dead. So there's a bit in the first chapter where the main character stubs his toe and breaks it and that will never heal. So he's like constantly sons like Perda. But I'm honestly I want to bring it up just because we are in the middle of a pandemonium and I don't know a lot of people seem to be struggling with just like finding stuff to enjoy it. But this book is super easy to read, really enjoyable, and I'm kind of blasting through it and I have to.
Speaker 3: Call it a pandemonium, pandemic, pandemic, a little demi.
Speaker 2: So I'm really enjoying as a treat.
Speaker 1: You have a little pandemic as a tree.
Speaker 2: Not definitely not. That's the thing that gets me canceled. Wow, spoken, it.
Speaker 1: Took forty minutes, But is.
Speaker 3: Is it a good read?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Are you enjoying it?
Speaker 1: I'm really enjoying it, and I think it's because it reminds me so much of a book series that I loved as a kid called The Belgariad by David Eddings who. The weird thing about David Eddings is his cousin is the David Eddings who worked at Gearbox Oh oh at least I think they were related. I want to say they were related. But anyway, I used to absolutely love David and Lee Eddings when I was a kid, and this book reminds me a lot of their writing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm on this this author's website and they've got one with steel Heart, which seems interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he has like an of the he has I can't remember which book it is or it's a series, and it's like, this is my Lord of the Rings meets saying. I was like, okay.
Speaker 3: He also looks like Tim Willitts he does, which is upsetting.
Speaker 4: Tim.
Speaker 3: What a you're doing writing books in the side you never know?
Speaker 1: So that's what I've been doing.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 2: All right, let's move on to one of the things I want to shout out before we move on. If y'all anyone listening to this, I know we got we got the audience, you know, fuck with Yakuza and judgment like that. I've been watching a Jay drama called ooral Boros, So if y'all fuck with Yakuza or judgment, check that out. I've been watching it with my girl and that ship is on point. And second thing, I want to ask one sentence Ben what's the dopest thing about the Diamond Weapon fight?
Speaker 4: Uh, the repurposing of the G Warrior.
Speaker 2: Oh, because I haven't played yet. All let's go old.
Speaker 4: I haven't even done the extreme version of it yet. But uh, it's like that we're fighting the Diamond Weapon up on a cloud deck and G Warriors back in a weird way.
Speaker 2: Say, let's say, let's all right, thank you, Ben, All.
Speaker 1: Right, let's move on to the topics. All right, let's kick things off with the Nintendo Indie event from this week. They've dropped this, They've dropped Nindy's Why.
Speaker 3: Have you done that? Like?
Speaker 1: That was such a perfect title for it.
Speaker 3: Call it.
Speaker 1: I don't call it Nindi's anymore. They call it Nintendo Indie World.
Speaker 3: I like Nindy's, Man, that's cute. I like Nindy's Nuts.
Speaker 2: Believe Oh, I love There's nothing I love more than a good these nuts. I love these nuts, absolutely love these nuts.
Speaker 3: I can't believe you.
Speaker 2: I'll fall into these nuts and God say less, how do I?
Speaker 3: How do I?
Speaker 2: Next topic?
Speaker 3: Anyway?
Speaker 1: I thought it was a really fun showing What were your desperately what were your highlights for the show?
Speaker 2: Michael Hold on, hold on hold, let me pull up real quick. There is two things I want to shout out. First is ship ship ship ship hold.
Speaker 3: On hold up Route ninety six.
Speaker 2: No, Aeron Night's never yield, Okay, I want to shout that out. So Aerol Knight, I've been keeping up with them on Twitter games coming to switch to check that out. It's like a side scrolling runner. Art style and music is incredible, So y'all get your hands on that. That's coming May nineteenth. So shouts out to aerol Knight. And the second one is Chris Tails, which is gonna release on July twentieth. I've been hearing a lot about this from like Jordan, so shouts out to Jordan romy But it's like a it's JRPG influenced and that art style and like the kind of the visuals and the mechanics kind of coalesce in a really interesting way. Looks incredible, you know, vibes with me. If it's jrb RPG inspired, I'll at least give it the time of day. So definitely check that out. I been hearing a lot about it, so it's not necessarily new, but it's like, oh shit, we're gonna it's this is things actually coming, so definitely peep that. If you're into the same bullshit as me. Ship, you know, it's like that VENN diagram as a circle, so let's get it. Greg thought it was funny.
Speaker 4: I like that. Somehow we managed to get a new Ali Ali and an Oxen Free announced in the same Yeah, that's good for the joke, but also because I'm excited for both of those video games, and I always.
Speaker 1: Never anticipated saying Oxen Free too. I just never even considered it.
Speaker 4: Uh. But besides those, I'm uh the like random three seconds of a House of the Dead remake that they decided to just throw like their montage.
Speaker 2: Without saying anything. It was like, ohma, by.
Speaker 4: The way, here it is also House the deads in India. Now I guess Wait, who's making it? That's what I'm trying to figure out.
Speaker 2: I just know why, But I'm like, that's House.
Speaker 1: Being published by Forever Entertainment.
Speaker 3: Who who.
Speaker 1: I'm going to do? Google? Who are Forever Entertainment leading publisher video games to the Nintendo Switch? They did the pans of Dragoon remake?
Speaker 2: Oh shot pans of Dragoon?
Speaker 1: What else we go? What else we got? AsSalt of Metal tron virus, the outbreak that Ultimate Fishing simulated.
Speaker 3: That's the ticket saying el shadaie no no, yeah, Ascension of Metatron.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought, I thought, like, oh they what el should.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pans of Dragoon Tennis Open twenty twenty. I think these guys just like we're all over the shop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, take work where you can get it. Man them, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But no, I couldn't believe that there was going to like just house that Dead was back, Yeah, just.
Speaker 3: Out of nowhere, bring back Typing of the Dead.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, if you get that ship on switch where you gotta like use the keypad or like the virtual keypad for that should be that should be trash.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So they put all the Yahoo answers as things you can type out in Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh. I think the brothers play through.
Speaker 4: I think the game still holds the Guinness World Record for most f bombs dropped in a video game. Hell yeah, Playhouse did it overkill? If you get the chance, that's good.
Speaker 3: Also, Revenge tmn T looks good. I'm surprised, continue to be surprised. I'll still treat it with a level of suspicion because it's licensed, and but it's from you know, the Speaks of Age fourteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've been on point. They've been on point with their stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then is I love the games, I'm sure, but they have a vibe, and it looks like they really want to nail that vibe with this. The art style I'm kind of into. It reminds me of scribble notes for some reason, but I like the way it looks. It kind of looks. It also looks like, you know, you get these artists on Twitter that draw really cute things. It looks like someone found every one of those who's like ever made a like fan Pokemon character. I've been like, you're doing our art.
Speaker 1: Now they're gonna say it's like someone found all of them put it into an aar.
Speaker 3: I mean it doesn't. It does look like that, but yeah, Road ninety six looks really cool as well.
Speaker 2: This student, this dude in the trailer video looked like Zach Ryan in early Early World. Yeah, if you watch the trailer, it was like.
Speaker 4: He looks like Pokeer.
Speaker 3: It looks like a Pokemon trainer.
Speaker 1: Wait, what give me?
Speaker 3: Give me.
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: Once you're talking, you're talking about the studio founder. Oh that's him, Yeah, you're talking about he doesn't he looks. It's more like it looks like I'm.
Speaker 2: Lost, Yes, exactly from you put a white man in a jean jacket with a good beard. That's Zach Ryan shut to him.
Speaker 3: Him.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, I see it.
Speaker 1: But I don't think Zach would wear like the is that. I can't tell if that's a denim jacket or one with cut off arms. I don't think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but those those games look good, and Zach ryand looks good.
Speaker 2: So big facts.
Speaker 4: No Oney's detected.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say he listens to it. I was about to say I'll pass, I'll pass on your kind words.
Speaker 3: But the other day, like I sent him a Godzilla thing and he was like, yeah, I saw this on Instagram and I was like, yeah, thanks for sending it to me.
Speaker 1: Then my m are open hollo me boy wow, just because just because I'm going away for a little bit, Michael, Oh, whoa whoa whoa whoa?
Speaker 2: Wait, whoa whoa?
Speaker 3: Hey, whoa whoa whoa whoa?
Speaker 1: He relax, all right, ninety six looks so good.
Speaker 4: Miss.
Speaker 1: We play games with Jake. I talked to Jake just today Ago. No, I'm I'm super down for Road ninety six, Like it looks super cool and like procedurally generate its story, seeing procedurally generated levels. But I am very interested to see how that manages to keep together because that just sounds narratively like an absolute nightmare to try and plan for. Like you know the picture of Charlie Day from It's Always sunny in front of the board. That's already what I can picture right in that game must be.
Speaker 2: Like, but an entire development cycle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great. With Nindy's.
Speaker 2: More, I want to give one more shout out at least to what's it called Aztec for God Gods shouts out to uh, you know, Mexican developers.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, I'm Filipino, but you know, everyone thinks I'm Mexican, which is cool. A lot of people think I'm Mexican, a lot of a lot of back home, a lot of people pull up to me and start speaking Spanish. I'm like, Damn, I feel like I disappointed my aunties and uncles because I don't speak Spanish. But you know what I want to see that I want to see what that turns out to be, I'll be happy to support it. So yeah, shouts out to uh, what is it a SiO Lionzo for a sex Forgotten God's revealed at the Nindy's event that happened today or this week depending on when you listen to it, and for.
Speaker 3: The same reason's last stop, which oh yeah, came about some some randos in London that.
Speaker 2: Mean I like, yeah, that's what that is.
Speaker 3: Then strangers in London whose lives collide interwined.
Speaker 2: Shout out to jeffle Gaspy my boy hooks up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm so excited. For twelve minutes there was some really good chip coming out.
Speaker 3: Good work.
Speaker 1: Don't talk about this persona mobile game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, Like I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I just forgot that it was happening, But it's getting an official license model that's been off.
Speaker 2: That's fucking wild to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's got like big approach of caution energy to it, though, Like what would you say? Yeah, I've got like a bigg approach proach of caution energy. I'm like you, what are you gonna do here? What are you making here?
Speaker 2: Does does anyone know what we're getting into with this? Like not a fighting what what what? Yeah, we'll get there, I think, I hopefully, but like, what do you on the any thing about? Like what what is what is this? Like we saw the trailer and that she looked dope, but there's no.
Speaker 1: There's hacking, Okay, I'm looking I'm looking at there's there's danger.
Speaker 3: The thing about this is it's got huge like we created a game and now we're gonna put a persona license on top of it like energy to me, like it doesn't look or feel immediately like a persona game. There's nothing in it that I look at and go, yeah, that is persona. I know persona and that is persona. Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 2: There's music that kind of sounds like it would be.
Speaker 1: I feel like you come out of why you shop.
Speaker 3: You could tell me this is a new dot hat game and I'll be like, yeah, I see it. Oh the hack though, yeah, or like anything. You could be like this is a new I.
Speaker 4: I love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then you know the sound shouts out but yeah, no, now that you mentioned it, Tam like, yeah, hells like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, And that's not like there's there's no distinct persona to it right now?
Speaker 1: Hang on, So I'm looking at the YouTube comments. So not only do you go buy the airft shop, but there's one person soon who said, in case anyone's interested. On the official side art of the main character shows her wearing a k SI High uniform a k A the.
Speaker 2: Go to wow oh ship yo. If this has if this does have narrative implications. Oh and also the character design is that that character that they're talking about, that design is real nice kind into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm excited for an approach with caution energy though oh yeah, I mean yeah, uh so.
Speaker 1: Speaking of approach of caution energy resident Evil Village.
Speaker 3: So they will be by the time people that listening to this, the showcase will have happened and the big news will be there is a demo and you probably looked at it and went this is the most confusing shit ever. So that there's a demo, you will be able to play it on whatever concert you have at some point in the future and you'll probably have a good time. That's all we can say about that, because I've written it down many times and the details of it are very confusing. But you can check out game GameSpot dot com for more information about when you can download that demo. The reason it's confusing is because there's multiple demos. They're available to early access to some people and not to others. There's different timing for different regions, and then there's time limits on how long you can each play you can play each demo for, so it's just it's just a lot. It's again Charlie Day standing in front of his yes, his thing. I was just gonna say, yeah, it's very confusing. The other news that is big from it is, I know Ben's going to be excited about this. Mercenaries is bad. Interesting new stuff this time is it's got the same Arcad feel. Now you can down and download, you can equip abilities and upgrades to yourself to give you more of an edge. And this can be like oh I can run faster or I do more damage. And there's also an upgrade system within, you know, in between runs where you could be like, I'm going to improve my gun for the next mission.
Speaker 4: Son is like a bit of an expansion on six and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, but fundamentally still the same kind of like time attack kills zombies, you know, add more time to yourccount to keep going as long as possible, so that's exciting.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: The Resident Evil Netflix series got an update Infinite Darkness, and it continues to be about Leon protecting the President from zombies who are invading the White House, which is okay, okay. The President is Ashley's dad, which is all right, okay, cool on. I'd just be like, your daughter just spent so much time in a trash? Can you have no idea? So yeah, that's happening, clear as.
Speaker 1: There as well, and then there too.
Speaker 3: I'm clear it's there too. Everyone looks weird, their faces look God. Dead by Daylight crossover they did the most annoying thing that you can do in twenty twenty one by they appeared on the stream to announce their having a crossover with Dead by Daylight, but didn't announce any details. They instead plugged the Dead by Daylight stream where more details will be announced.
Speaker 4: Wonderful.
Speaker 3: And if you're doing that ship, absolutely behave yourself.
Speaker 1: You get that cross.
Speaker 3: Do not do not do that ship, no one. Haha. I hate it so much. I hate it so much because my interest in it is like a threadbearer right as it is.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know, there's there are a lot of DBD stands.
Speaker 3: Out there so yeah, yeah, but like I'm even I was interested in. I was like, oh cool, I'm excited see what this is, and they were like tune in.
Speaker 4: I was like, now, you literally took me on the ride. I was like, oh, is it gonna be like Nemesis or like Jill getn't put into the game, And you're like, but they didn't tell anything. I fell off instantly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's the problem. And then Resident Evil four, Hell you love it, it's coming back. Everyone has been excited for a remake. You ain't getting that shit again. Instead, you're getting a version of the game for Oculus Quest two, which, to be fair, looks like they're putting in the work. It looks like they're adapting that game to make it more immersive and interesting for Oculus Quest. It looks like some they went Half Life Alex is pretty cool, what could we do that with? And someone at Capcom went, this is a platform that Resident Evil four doesn't exist on. How about you doing this? And I believe the co development studio is Amateur Studios, which is the studio if I'm remember correctly, that came out of the team behind Metroid Prime. Hell yeah, so they they made Batman Arkham, Assault on Blackgate and then and then they yeah, and then they worked I think they also work with on Record, so their history posts.
Speaker 1: I remember someone who reviewed.
Speaker 2: That one shout out to Recorder.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I remember reading the reviews of my old job because like, oh record looks tight, yo, Metro Prime but like third person, let's get it.
Speaker 3: And then yeah, a review for that, Lisa.
Speaker 1: Have you got their I've got their website up. They did. They did the Metal give Solid HD collection.
Speaker 3: For the VIA they did. Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 1: They've been doing a lot of ports, so they ported Injustice Unfinished, Swan, Borderlines and Bayonet and Vanquish to ps one.
Speaker 3: Nextworks one good team known for their ports original titles. Person not so not as great, but like they have a pedigree to them, so it's clear they're putting in the work this thing.
Speaker 2: Do they have VR experience, Lucy, did you see anything VR?
Speaker 3: And the I'm.
Speaker 1: So I can see.
Speaker 3: They had like ocular studio folks on the stream being like we're here, we're going to.
Speaker 4: Help us, We're gonna wait wait, yes, they have.
Speaker 1: They created fail Factory original Virtual Reality IP. They developed that one. The website kind of cuts off the stuff. But they did Sports Scramble. Yeah, their website like cuts off the platforms of the listings. But yeah, they've got a couple.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so that's the other big thing. And then that's pretty much it. There are some smaller stories about they shot off a new trailer and they shot off gameplay, which you can see on GameSpot dot com. But yeah, Resident Evil Village looking very much like a Resident Evil spiritual success or even like, you know, a follow on to some in some extents. But yeah, I'm excited to play that game very very much.
Speaker 2: And it's and it's various demos and it's too many different times for different periods of time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at one point, I hope it stays. In the final version of the presentation that they show the one of the developers says, we've made the They basically explained that the reason you have an eight hour window to play these demos is because it's Resident Evil eight And I was like, why why did you do that? We have inconvenienced you for banter everyone. That's all right, mate, all.
Speaker 1: Right, let's move on to listener questions. If you have a question for the podcast, to make sure to email it to after Dark podcast at redventures dot com or hit up one of us to get yourself into the game spot Discord. All the questions this week are from the games what Discord. It is a lovely fun place to hang out wherever one is just like super nice and it's just a really nice place to hang out, So make sure to join hit us up if you want to get in. Ben, do you want to read this first question from Kevin?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So Kevin?
Speaker 4: Kevin asks, was there a time from your childhood that you didn't realize how good you had it as a gamer?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: My, my scrolling won't work, so I can't read the second part of the question.
Speaker 3: Why haven't it you like moved some text around?
Speaker 4: I was panicking trying to get my sheet to show me the rest of the question, and I appear to have drifted the entire thing. I can't I can't read the rest of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I want to answer this question first because Kevin's Kevin's hitting it right here. Kevin is like fucking on point with this question right.
Speaker 3: Read the rest of the question.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the rest question says there was a time in childhood you didn't realize you had how good you had it as a gamer. My introduction to RPG's was an amazing summer playing Mario RPG, Final Fantasy VI, and Chrono Trigger. And I'm still chasing the high, Kevin says. And I wanted to read it because that was the exact fucking three games that taught me how to read and brought me up as a quote unquote gamer. Yo, Kevin, holl at your boy, because holy fuck yo, I was yo in an advanced reading classes through all of elementary school in middle school. You know why, because I played those three games and Final Fantasy four you can add that to the list as well, because holy shit. And like, ever since then, I've been chasing that high. I kind of got it with Dais X the Original when I finally got around to it a little bit with Star Wars and I O or Public twenty seventeen was the first time that I felt like I had hit that same kind of peak because that was when I played Yakuza zero, I played Persona five, and I played Near Automata, So another trifecta right there, and I'm like, holy shit, this recontextualizes what I think games can be and what games mean to me, So holy shit, and then again I think last year in twenty twenty with Yakuza like a Dragon, Persona five Royal, and then like also with a Final Fantasy fourteen with Shadow Bringers. Like I think my time at GameSpot have been defined by those series in those games in many ways near Yakuza Persona and Final Fantasy fourteen in particular, and it's like a new peak, it's a new high. It's a new paradigm for me, especially when it comes to RPGs, and like, now, that's that's the only thing I want to play. I only want to play games that hit those same eyghes, which is what I was talking about earlier when I need to be very deliberate about how I spend my time playing games because these are big time investments and I'm better fucking be sure that that them shits is on point. So oh my god, yo keV oh, let's.
Speaker 3: Fucking go baby. I think the thing that it kind of highlights and is the same thing where I basically played those games in the exact same fashion in a row as well, and like a bunch of others, like I had long stretches of playing RPGs. The high I'm chasing that I'll never get. I don't think any of us will get is the amount of time you had it as a as a as a youngster where you could play that many rpges back to back and just do it. Now it's like we have to play two or three hours here and there. So the high I'm chasing is like high. The high I'm chasing, I'm high I'm chasing always, man, But like it's attainable. It's just I know, I feel that way when i sit down on a weekend every now and then I'm like sink like five six hours into a game. When I'm done, I feel like, yeah, we're still like I'm still a gamer still but still got it. Yeah, still got it. And like the same thing happens when we have like a long old watch session or something like that. I come off and I'm like, yeah, I feel like I've done a game of pump, you know how like you know, you know, uh, gym rats going to a gym. Yeah, I do a quick couple of sets and they're.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I feel you literally feel small. Yeah yeah that was good small thumbs.
Speaker 3: But yeah I do.
Speaker 2: I do small.
Speaker 3: I do realize. And now that we had it good. When we were younger, we just could just sit down and play these games for hours and hours and hours and then not think about any responsibilities or feel our body slowly and like crumbling beneath us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mine maybe isn't from when I was a kid, although like I do have amazing memories of just playing through like all the crash Banic group games with my sister and just enjoying that time together, like passing the controller and you know, not being playing games in an age pre Internet where all you had was time and effort and you'd keep throwing yourself at the same problem and like doing that over and over again. The one the summer that I'm chasing is the summer of twenty ten when so that was at university at the time, and university summers are way longer than even school summers. It was like two and a half months off And in my summer of twenty ten, I did Red Dead, Redemption, then BioShock, then Mass Effect one, then Mass Effect two. Ooh, that was a lovely time.
Speaker 2: Damn Legends after Legends.
Speaker 1: That was so nice, And then I had to go back to Uni.
Speaker 2: I hate to see it.
Speaker 1: Ben. What about you, Well, how are you chasing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I actually, like I've been so hardcore and playing games like literally my entire life that it's hard to pick like one specific point. But I guess maybe back when I was at like the height of my time playing World of Warcraft before it got like it was a turbulent time, it went up and down a lot. There are some good times and some bad times. But the height of when I was I was in like my guild and I was I was part of like a forty man rating team. And because I was still kind of like young, and they they recognize me and they're like, hey, you're here all the time, and you know what you're doing be an assistant leader and help like bring new people in. I was like, I'm too young to be leading people. This isn't right, this isn't what it is, but it it was cool to have that time and kind of be able to give it that much dedication to kind of help lead like a group of forty people through a giant raid in a video game that I've never met before. And I think about that a lot. And ZIV is a different type of ammal experience, but I don't know if it'll ever kind of touch that at least for rating that weird thing. But it was such a weird deal and I loved it.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, Tom'm you trying to read this? Next one? I do?
Speaker 3: This comes from Just a Box. The only video games based on books I can think of without a movie intermediary or the Witcher games. All right, let me finish. Oh, most video games that aren't an original IP scene seemed to come from movies. Are there any books or series that you think would adapt well into video games? I feel like you could do some cool work with Sandersen stuff, especially Stormlight Archives. I've read in this book by Brandon Sanderson called Alantris that NOE like.
Speaker 1: I was genuinely spooked when because I put a call out for questions and Just a Box put this in today and I was like, that's weird, that's suspicious because I'm just reading it. But yeah, literally, the only ones I can think of that came from books are the Witcher Metro and I know that because I interviewed the author of the Metro books and that was a time, Like he was a very nice guy, but he's very very sunglasses on in the darkened room, quite intense about his books.
Speaker 2: Type tale I write stories about being in tunnels because all I see is dark moosh. All right, shit, man, the games are five, the books are fire, So all right, keep doing you.
Speaker 1: Any books a series that would adapt well into video games? Dude, the Mandalorian, I know it's not a book, but the Mandalorian is.
Speaker 2: That's Mando video game. I don't know. I read a lot of I mostly read nonfiction, so I don't really I can't really think I get my I get my I get my fiction fix from video games. I'll say I can't read. Yeah, reading stuff, you know, stuff in the streets, Oral Bros. You could turn that into a video game. It's called judgment.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say it, like I it's it's weird playing God of War after reading Neil Gaiman's.
Speaker 2: Mythologyology.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I think Norse mythology is so ripe for taking those stories in turning him into other things. And so I think God of Water does a really good job. I wouldn't say they like took necessarily from games, but it's like there's a lot of stuff to explore within that realm.
Speaker 2: Different if we're talking about series, turn all the best anime into not Arena Fighters check out the check out the article on GameSpot dot com by one Tomorrow Hussein, who talks about why anime should not be adapted to arena fighters because we've had enough of it.
Speaker 3: Sucks. Stop there and that ship for real?
Speaker 2: Give me give me a Demon Slayer. Demon Slayer by Platinum Games everything to make arcists do their two D three D thing for everything them too. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, give me a Is it wrong to pick up girls on a dungeon by I don't know alys, because they can they give you will problematic, You know what I'm saying. True, says the man with persona tattoos.
Speaker 1: All right, Michael, do you want to read this? Yes?
Speaker 2: I will take this final one because Carbon. It is from carbon A, someone very very in the the game spot after Dark community, and I think someone who's been very very supportive of me in particular, but also they're just they're just great. So Carbon asks, what is a game that you liked mostly because it made you laugh? For me, it's Battle Block Theater. The narration in that game makes me crack up every time. And ps right here, very very sweet message. Carbon, Thank you so much. I really appreciate this. I also wanted to thank Michael for getting me into Vocaloid, and Persona shouts out to Carvid. Oh my yo, yo, let me take over an episode of GameSpot after Dark and I will spend two motherfucking hours talking about Vocaloid, and then I'll do it. We've already We've already done like five hours worth of Persona content on Gamesplot after Dark in the past month. Run run it back, never back. So Carbon, thank you so much. I really appreciate that. War was my heart, like legit, like real talk that warns my heart because you know, those things mean a lot to me, and like if I can share that into the world and like it clicks with someone else, Like I forgot who if you're listening to this and you approached me at packs West twenty nineteen and pulled up and said, yo, I've been to vocal because I saw your tweets about it and now I'm like, hell into it. I forgot my bad, I forgot who that was. But like, if you listening to this, I'll at you, boy, because damn that means a lot. It really really does. So thank you, thank your Carbon. But I guess I'll start by answering this question, jazz Punk. I thought jazz Punk was incredible. Jazz Punk doesn't necessarily have laugh out loud moments, but every time I'm just like, I was just in a in I was in such a giddy mood and then they hit the like that game hits you so frequently with like giggles. It's a very giggly game. But also like, jazz Punk just has an incredible soundtrack, aesthetic and the way to Louis Hernandez who who made that game, And yeah, if y'all haven't check out jazz Punk, it is. It is the most I wouldn't say it's obscure. It's extremely different, and there's something about the art style and that low poly kind of aesthetic that really really hits shit. Jazz Punk ain't nothing like it.
Speaker 1: I've never played that one.
Speaker 2: What I know it was twenty four Twenty fourteen was so dry. Twenty fourteen was so fucking dry. Jazz Punk was the game of the year, straight up, Wait, what did.
Speaker 1: We give game of the year and twenty four show there's not very many chuckles to be found.
Speaker 2: In Transistor came out in twenty fourteen. I was like, Okay, it's Transistor Or it's jazz punk.
Speaker 1: And then Tolkien swept in, swooped in and stole the game of the Year from us.
Speaker 2: I hate hate to see it. Well, shadow Wardor is pretty good.
Speaker 1: Funny games, So I'm definitely shying this one out because it just dropped on Switch today. It came out PC last summer. I think it's on phone, it's on iOS two. But there is no game. Wrong Direction. No, there is no game. Wrong Dimension is amazing and the funniest game I've ever played. It is basically a game that takes the piss out of other games and is very very self aware, and you're basically, I don't know, like you're you're player trying to play the game, but the game itself is trying to stop you from playing it. And there is no game run Wrong Direct, Wrong Dimension. God, okay, but it's on one direction. Wow, But no, it's basically like so, for example, it kind of takes the piss out of adventure games in a way, and then there's a there's a part where you're kind of in an adventure game you're just trying to progress through, but then you can turn the TV around and you see the back of the game and the different sets, and you can like pull on levers and different scenes come in, and that's how you progress through the level, and you basically break it to progress. It's very very difficult to explain. I'm probably doing a terrible job of it. But you have this narrator, which is the the program, the game itself, who's like, no user, leave me, I am not a game leave like telling you the whole time trying not to play it. It's very very very funny, like genuinely laugh out loud moments and dropped on switch. It was in the Nindi's event Please please play it.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 4: That's why I sir, I'll go next. I like funny games. I like things with jokes. Uh, there are a lot actually that I really like Grim Fan. You gotta let me build up to it first.
Speaker 2: Oh my bad, my bat. I was like, oh, I know, every time I see.
Speaker 4: It, like a bunch of cool mini shouts like man Stanley parable makes me laugh all the time. I like that one. It's got some pretty okay jokes and there's some times a lot of good thing alongs, but also just grim Fandango. I like, you know me too well, and that's what I love about it.
Speaker 2: I do, I really do.
Speaker 4: But yeah, Grim Fandango is a game that makes me feel emotions good and and and and sad good, none of them bad, but just the way that that thing is written in the jokes that are just constantly throughout through like the dialogue, choices of random things you can interact with that game. That game shaped me a lot growing up. And I can't recommend that adventure game enough to anyone.
Speaker 3: It's just it.
Speaker 4: It's it's so good. I love Manny Calavera and all of his friends and this mechanic demon pal who's got only one purpose is to fix cars.
Speaker 2: Many Cara Cavrella, the host of the Giant Piece.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's the first first thing they did right there.
Speaker 3: But I don't think of a game that like genuinely made me laugh. I remember being amused by all I really liking the vibe of a bunch of games like Grim fan Nango and Psychone. It's a lot of Tim Shaeffer Double Find games like that kind of stuff. But there's a game that like truly made me like laugh out, Like this is hilarious video game.
Speaker 2: I think yakas are like a dragon did that to me, But it doesn't really fit the question because like you like mo yeah, but it's like mostly you like it mostly because it made you laugh. I like that game across the board, but holy shit, that's one of the funniest games I played.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yakas are like a Dragon zero all of the Yukas games basically they have like a humor to him that is like distinct in unique, so I guess that does count.
Speaker 4: I also think Carbon suggested a Battle Black Theater is also fantastic off that narration alone. I'll listen to that intro that game every time I moved it up, so I just love hearing.
Speaker 1: It to me.
Speaker 2: Also, GTA San Andreas is funny as fuck because GTA San Andreas is like basically where I grew up, and that entire game I was playing with my homies and we're like, holy shit, this is us at school.
Speaker 4: Like it was.
Speaker 2: It was basically where I grew up in Like that entire game was like holy fuck, Like we feel so seen right now.
Speaker 3: I take it back. There's two GTAs has reminded me Chatterbox FM.
Speaker 2: On.
Speaker 3: I think that's GTA three. Yeah, I say, like yo, yeah, and then there's there's one which is the the the one that Fernando does in Vice City. I can't remember what the name of the radio stations like those two chat shows, Yeah, something like that. Those two chat shows I remember making me laugh quite a bit.
Speaker 2: This is bringing me back. If anyone is listening to this and played Triple Blake Triple Triple Play Baseball on the PlayStation one, if you played, I think it's Triple Play ninety eight or ninety seven or something. They did their own like in universe advertisements. It's like a legit baseball game, but they did their own in universe advertisements, and that shit was mad funny. When I was like eight or nine years old, I.
Speaker 1: Was gonna say, I wonder how much stuff that I thought was funny as a kid just absolutely hasn't translated to me being an adult.
Speaker 2: I bet that's how I would feel if I replayed gt A Sands like Yah Wish while problematic.
Speaker 1: All right, that's it for episode eighty nine of Games One after Doc. Thank you so much everyone for listening, and thank you Michael, Ben and Tam for joining me. Michael, what you're up to this week? Where can people find you?
Speaker 3: Ooh.
Speaker 2: This week a lot of Final Fantasy fourteen coverage, Star Warlite, Near Raid five point five, msq PS five Beta impressions, also a bunch of other things next A. I can't necessarily talk about what's popping next week, but next week is motherfucking popping for me. Yo, This week and next week is just like one thousand percent of my bullshit. So if you're into my if you're into the same shit, I'm into boy again. Spot dot com got you cover, budd Y know, I'm I'm trying my best. I'm only one man, so but yeah, a lot of exciting stuff. This is a very exciting time for me, but it's also a lot of motherfucking work, So keep your eyes peeled for that. And you can find me and all of my bullshit at Michael p Him on Twitter and you can bet yo ass I'll be talking about all this stuff and damn how at your boy?
Speaker 4: Uh probably just publishing a ridiculous amount of videos and playings. If I still start up, or I'm still trying to choose what my next big game I'm gonna play through, it isn't I think thinking I might jump into Final Fantasy fifteen been hearing a lot of people tell me I should do it.
Speaker 1: Boy, have you never played? Did you never play when it first came out?
Speaker 4: No? So I I'm still on my final fantasy journey of discovery where I'm playing through anyone that anyone suggests to me.
Speaker 2: Uh I think, I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say that it's one lines up with things that I would like, and also it'll probably mess me up because of quarantine. Uh ah, yeah, that's the fifteen Now, I know that that's it.
Speaker 2: People. People have legit criticisms with fifteen. But when when it's all said and done, I look back at fifteen, but like that was that was good?
Speaker 1: Like I yeah, I look back at fifteen. It's like that was a fun road trip with.
Speaker 2: My boys, with the motherfucking boys boys.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But also I did notice they just put all the movies back on I think King's Gloves back on Netflix too, so you.
Speaker 4: Could do the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Zach did this, I think last year or the year before. He did the whole thing, like watched all the surrounding real quick.
Speaker 2: Ben, if you play it, think of think of it as you're nactus. I'm glady OLiS Matt Espinelli, is is Ignis and John Lucas popped.
Speaker 4: All right, I mean, do it sounds like a good road trip to me?
Speaker 2: Final Fantasy fifteen crime boys, let's go.
Speaker 4: I like I like something. I'm gonna do that when I hit hit Final Fantasy fifteen. Uh, and try not to cry.
Speaker 2: But that's that's that's not.
Speaker 4: Going to happen. Uh. But if you want to keep up on all sorts of all the dumb stuff I do, or just see me spam pictures of my stupid character in zip, you can find me on dot com at ben Jenka. I'm so sorry. In advance.
Speaker 1: Team, what about you.
Speaker 3: I'm on Twitter to Haes just doing stuff they you know, just typing, typing things into the Internet, and that's it.
Speaker 1: Tweets type tweets.
Speaker 2: That's why I fired fire tweets. The everyone needs to check out TAM's Ramadan thread. That's that's very good prime content.
Speaker 1: I'm on Twitter, Lucy James Games. I'm I worked on a mass effect video with Jordan that's coming up on Sunday. So Jordan did a really great script about the First Contact War, which is some hot mass effect law that basically explains it's weird because it's barely mentioned really within the context of the games, but it actually sets up like just why everyone hates humanity at the beginning of Mass Effect very very well. And so Jordan did this really great script and I edited it. That's going up on Sunday, and then other than that, I talked about it a little bit. But I'm going back to the UK for a little bit. So it's tam and so that's my big thing, just like a little round trips, see some family, see friends, get my visa renewed. But it's also like A'm moving out of this place, so it's a lot in.
Speaker 2: One, I know, end of any ear, end of an era. Yeah, you're gonna miss party.
Speaker 1: I am that little.
Speaker 2: I mean, he might not remember gregor Jenna cool, but like let's.
Speaker 1: Get real, no, I'm going to miss the more because it's been so much fun to live here and just like hang out with all of them. But like it's kind of like a great timing because our lease is up and I've got to go back to the UK, and so honestly, I'm just having a nice time just organizing through all my stuff and getting rid of things that I don't need and donating a lot, and yeah, I like doing a big clear out, so that's what I'm doing. But thank you everyone for listening. We'll be back again next week. Have a great one.