Speaker 1: It's Night's Size Undoing Razy Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back, everybody. We call this on Nightside, the twentieth hour of the week. I know that every week we have new listeners. As a matter of fact, for those of you who might be interested in this sort of thing, we have had several during the year of twenty twenty four, several outstanding ratings books. We are continuing to grow this audience. The take it from me. You're listening to a top rated talk show here in Boston, which obviously has a bunch of listeners all over the country and around the world. So for those of you who take the time to listen to Nightside, from the bottom of my heart, I'd like to say thank you very much for your loyalty. For those of you who are new, and what we try to do on the last hour of the week. Because we're on five nights a week from Monday through Friday, from eight to midnight, that amounts to twenty hours of broadcast radio every week, five nights times four hours a night through the math twenty hours. So in the twenty hour we always try to go a little late, and tonight we'll be no exception and so we're going to end this week. And for me, this was a relatively short week because there only worked Wednesday, Thursday and tonight. Morgan White covered the first two nights of the week because I was on vacation on the thirtieth and thirty first, So I treat this as the twentieth hour nonetheless, and therefore I want to find out from you. Did you make a New Year's resolution this year? If you did, what was it. If you did, have you kept it, is it's still in force? And how long do you think you'll be able to go If you didn't make a New Year's resolution? I would like to know have you in the past or are you like my producer Rob Brooks, whose New Year's resolution every year is the same. He refuses to make resolutions. That's his resolution, so it's a little bit of fun. I tend not to make New Year's resolutions. I've told you in the past that I made one year that I wanted to get through dry January, which I did, went through dry February and into March and ended up with some kidney stones. It's got to be all twenty years ago, and it was not pleasant for those of you who have had kidney stones, and I've never had them since, but I've never had that resolution sense. And I did it almost as a discipline, not because I felt it was a problem, but as I think i've acknowledged all of you. I'm a light beer drinker and a red wine guy. Simple as that glass of red wine with dinner lovely, and maybe a light beer course like before dinner would be lovely. But I have tended away to stay away from resolutions. So I'd love to know from you if you've made him, what are they and have they worked? Maybe you did a resolution at some point in the past which changed your life. We talked last night with a couple of guests about the concept of New Year's resolutions. You might have heard during the eight o'clock hour on Thursday night professor John Kelly from Endicott College talking about the psychology behind New Year's resolutions, and doctor Mark Popso about He's from Boston College, about New Year's resolutions and what you need to make them work. So this is more on a personal level. Let's have a little bit of fun with it, and we're going to start it right off with Neil in Watertown. Neil haven't heard you from a while, but it's always great to know you're out there listening. Thanks for calling in, Neil. How'd your New Year's resolutions go? Or did you make one?
Speaker 3: Well? I'm gonna ask for a little latitude because I didn't make I don't make them, but I have one that from literary history, I can describe it briefly. Is that all right?
Speaker 2: Go ahead?
Speaker 3: So on January first, eighteen fifty two, Robert Browning, he's a famous poet, made a resolution to write something every day. So he said it just came to him in a dream, and his opening instruction to the poem. The poem is entitled Child Rolling to the Dark Tower came and his opening instructions see is ce Edgar's song and lare just to recapped briefly. Edgar is the son of Gloucester who has been framed by his brother to make it seem as if Edgar wants to kill his father, so he's on the run. So to escape detection, he pretends he's a madman and he's babbling all the time. And the song, well it's really like a babbling at the end of a free singe fours Child Roll into the dark Tara Kane. His word was still five fore and found I smelled the blood of a British man, So I guess child Rowland. Rowland is the hero of the just Beefly is the hero of the Charlemagne legend, and Shakespeare puts his words and gives him the words of Jack the Beanstalk. But anyway, so on this day he wrote the poems thirty four stanzas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please don't read the thirty four stances.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I've planned this South Dan. I'm not going to no.
Speaker 2: Understand, but but my patience is running thin here because it's a little away from what I wanted to talk about. And again, I.
Speaker 3: Just wanted to tell somebody about it. That's and.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, well, thank you very much. I appreciate it. Neil, thanks for the call. Okay, folks, look, uh, Neil has called before and often he's a little misdirected. But you know, I try to be flexible. But at the same time, if you want to recite poetry, tell me about it, and maybe we will. We'll have a night where people can recite their favorite poetry. But when we stake out a topic, we like to try to stay with the topic a little bit. Let me go to Joe and Lynn. Joe, do you make a New Year's resolution today this year?
Speaker 4: Well, Dan, yes, I did, and I just want to say I agree with Glenn. We don't need any law like that. But that's another issue. I wish I could have gotten the earlier. I have mixed feelings, but that's okay. My resolutions try and get better from miscancer if I can. I'd like to see if I can help other people who need help if possible. I can't do much because I'm in a bad way, but that's my resolution. I normally don't make resolutions, but may I made one this time?
Speaker 2: And what are you going to try to do about it?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm doing the best I can. I'm doing some research, talking to different doctors about the pros and cons of radiation, and I'm trying to look into alternative therapy if I can possibly get that. It's very hard to some insurance won insurances won't take it. I'm trying to save some money. I'm doing the best I can to see what I can get done.
Speaker 2: Well, I wish you're best of luck with it, Joe. Again, I hope and pray that everything works out for you. And I think I think a lot of fighting some of these horrific uh you know, diseases can be mental as well, and I think that if a lot of people pray with you and pray for you, and I know in my audience they will, that's going to help. But I also think that your mental your mental attitude to keep it strong and stay strong.
Speaker 4: Okay, I try to. I appreciate, and I just want to say I mixed feelings on that long I agree with kind of with Glenn, but all right, thank you much.
Speaker 2: That was last hour, Joe, so please Yeah, I wish I could I tried. Yeah, well again, you know, the lines were open pretty early, Joe, and like anything else, when people try late, we run out of time. There were people who were hanging on the phone line last hour. But one of my New Year's resolutions is I'm trying not to force people. At the end, they'll call in it ten fifty five. And I've tended to a people and so I try to. My attitude is most people listen to the show, understand we do. We try to do our segments, h and I agree if people want to sit there and listen to what and some people actually calling intentionally to try to be the last point on the subject. And I'm not going to play that game anymore.
Speaker 1: That's what I don't do.
Speaker 5: This.
Speaker 4: I had forgotten I was doing something else. But all right, thank you very.
Speaker 2: Much, Thanks Joe, appreciate it. Happy New Year. All right. Let me re re establish the theme here. The theme is New Year's resolutions, and if you have a resolution, I'd love to know what it was. And I'll bet you some have advance, some of you have made really good resolutions. Please. This is not a poetry jam, slam, whatever they call it. This is a talk show. And whatever your New Year's resolutions are, have you made them in the past? Have you ever made one that changed your life? Six one, seven, five, four thirty, six seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. It is New Year's week, ladies and gentlemen, it is Friday night. Feel free to join the conversation. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ, the news radio.
Speaker 2: All Right, have you made a New Year's resolution this year? And more importantly, is it still intact? I'd love to know what it is? Feel free. Have you made New Year's resolutions in the past. I mean, there was a time in this country when I think most people made New Year's resolutions, but I think they've fallen out of favor. And if you're not, make you a New Year's resolution, tell me why. Six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty six one, seven, nine three one ten thirty. I gave Glenn permission. Everybody, by the way, has permission to make in the twentieth hour, we give people. We ask people during the week to call in only once to allow more people and more voices to be heard. But in the twentieth hour, we give people the what we call a hall pass, and you can call in even if you called in Monday night and talked to Morgan, or called in Wednesday night and talked to me. Let's go to Glenn and Bright and Glenn. New Year's resolution. Did you make one?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: In nineteen seventy three, when I was twenty, I made and I broke it. On January fourth, I made a resolution to stop swearing. I told this to Rob.
Speaker 2: That's the tough one. By the way, that's a tough one. I sometimes try to have made that resolution. That's a tough one day to be successful. I'm surprised you made it the January fourth, go.
Speaker 6: Ahead January with some woman stepped on my foot and I dropped the f bob. I'm like, oh this, yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so that's my last resolution.
Speaker 6: Well, I had just cut my toenails, and that's why I hurt when Please don't.
Speaker 2: Tell us about your toenails joke, right, job, that's that please? Well? Uh I know, yeah, so so so you. Therefore, I have never made another New Year's resolution.
Speaker 6: Nope, because I can keep the one I don't make by not making. BROB and I had a nice discussion off the air about this.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you did. I hope you didn't leave your a game off air. As I mentioned, Rob has said that his New Year's resolution is the same every year. I resolved me to make New Year's resolutions.
Speaker 6: But that's that's fine me too. And people nagged me, woll you're going to have and I'm like, where is that written in the constitution.
Speaker 2: I've got to have one. Nope, absolutely, it's it's uh, it's a free country. It's a freak.
Speaker 6: You can make it.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping that there might be some people out there tonight who are going to tell me that they did make a resolution at some point in the past and it really had helped save their life or change their life. Their life, meaning maybe someone said I'm going to give up this or I'm going to give up that and actually work.
Speaker 6: I know people. I know people that have made resolutions for quit drinking and smoking and they did it, or lose weight and they did it, or save money and they did it. I mean, I know people.
Speaker 2: Those are good resolutions if you have if you have the ability, even if you if you say to yourself, look, I'm going to put ten dollars a week into into a a piggy bank, hypothetically, and at the end of the year, I'll open up that piggy bank and I'll have five hundred dollars and I'll be able to splurge on presents or I'll be able to splurge in myself. That's a new Year's resolution actually could potentially work when you think about it.
Speaker 6: And one more quick thing I grew up around. I'm not a Catholic, but I grew up around a lot of Catholics, and rather than make a New Year's resolution during Lent they'd give something up, and that he came there. It's like a New Year's resolution a month and a half later.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, you're absolutely correct on that. There were many Catholics who for many years would say, Okay, for Lent, I'm gonna give up candy, and they did that as a sacrifice, even though they like that. You got to give up. You can't say I'm going to give up let's say broccoli or something you don't particularly like. They have to give up something you like it because it has to be a sacrifice for forty days and forty nights.
Speaker 6: And if you like gambling, you have to give up gambling. Oh I'm just husing at us.
Speaker 2: No, I use that as a great as. I use that as a great example. I couldn't I couldn't have worked you more on that, Glenn. I appreciate your your participation tonight, and thank you very much for have enjoyed us. As always, we'll talk.
Speaker 6: To you, my friend, and I want to say up, I knew you to Christine and datum.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that's fine. If anything I can do to help out your social life is you're more than welcome. Okay, Happy New Year, Happy New Year. Hope twenty twenty five is a good one for you. Thank you have a great yea, all right? Six one, triple eight, nine, nine, ten, thirty your New Year's resolutions. We're off to a slow start here, but that's okay. I have confidence in my audience. Let's go to Manny in Boston. Manny, go right ahead. How are you tonight, Manny?
Speaker 7: I'm well? How are you, Dan? Happy night?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. Appreciate to hear your voice. Thanks for calling in New Year's resolution. Yes or no?
Speaker 7: Absolutely make some years I've failed, I admit it. Okay, two years ago I made a resolution to lose weight. I got on ozempic, I lost the weight, I kept it off, got off of the ozempic after six months, and pretty much have kept the weight off for the last year and a half.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that was.
Speaker 7: One thing, but there I think that I made other financial goals that I've pretty much achieved as well.
Speaker 8: But I think New.
Speaker 7: Year's resolutions are aspiration. People need to have something to go for.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: Maybe that's just me, maybe I'm being naive, but oh look, I think it's.
Speaker 2: I think it. I think at the end of the year, most of us say okay, what's going right, what's going wrong in my life? And you can make it, make a very simple resolution, and if it works, it's great. You had made a significant resolution. I was afraid you're going to say to me. I was on ozempic for six months and I lost my weight. I got off it and came back on how much weight did you lose? If I could ask, forty eight pounds and have you kept them all off?
Speaker 7: I actually went on a wake in one eighty and dropped another nine pounds, but I kind of splid and I'm back to my one ninety five weight, which is my target weight when I was on the ozempic. So okay, I'm going to lose the other nine pounds to get back to where I was. That's what I'm going to do in the next month or so.
Speaker 2: Can I make a suggestion to you? Can I make a suggestion to you? And I know a little bit about the awake in one eighty program. Sure you know that once you're on it, you can take advantage of it. Like you understand that, right?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 9: Absolutely, And I'll tell you something.
Speaker 2: I go in once, I go in once a month, and every time I goin, you sit with one of the the coaches. Most of them are young women, and they're really smart and they give me tips and ideas. I've kept my I only lost thirty five pounds, maybe thirty eight, but I have kept it off for nine years. And the key for me is every month I need to go in there and and just sit and go over. If you were part of the program, don't give up on the program because it's it's free of charge. It's for the rest of your life. So you know, if you have a if you have a month where you've picked up a few pounds, go back in and they can help you out. You know, you go through the thing where they you get on that scale and you find out what what what's your your body fat has, what's gone up, what's your muscle fat. There's a lot of great information, you know what I'm talking about. So please you pay for take advantage of it.
Speaker 7: I shall dan, thank you. I really be back there probably and no, no, no, I'd going on a trip out of the kind trade in about a week and a half as soon as I get back, and I am going to watch what I eat eat while I'm away. Yep, I will be going back there.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 7: The problem was I didn't stick with the program seriously enough. Did I lose weight? Yeah? I needed another pound to really hit my charget, which was one eighty five. I got to one eighty six and change six seven. I think I weigh myself almost every day. That is that is a key factor myself under control.
Speaker 9: Yeah, let me tell you. Let me tell you.
Speaker 2: I do the same thing. When I get up in the morning, I want to make sure that I am three or four pounds under one seventy because once you put your clothes on, now you've added a couple of pounds, three pounds or whatever. Oh yeah, wait, I weigh myself in the morning and I weigh myself at ninety. You know what that does? That teaches me what did I eat yesterday that all of a sudden my weight has gone up? Or what did I eat yesterday so my weight has stayed where it is. You learn, you learn by That's the way you learn what works with your body. That's all. Look, I had some chocolate cookies after dinner tonight, okay, uh, And I'm I may have a glass of red wine after the after the program tonight. So people think, oh, you gotta you gotta go cold turkey, and you can't know that's the beauty of a Waken one eighties. So please get back to it and do me a favor. Call me back and let me know how you're doing a couple of months.
Speaker 7: From now, Okay, I shall Dan.
Speaker 6: Thanks Shenny.
Speaker 2: I believe in this program and everyone who I have talked to about it has been a success. And it's amazing that you were able to take the weight off with the ozempic and keep it off. I was concerned. And now let's let's finish off with a waken one eight because again it's free of charge at this point. You know that, Okay.
Speaker 7: I'll say one thing about the Dan, Yeah, yes, gold. The one thing about the ozempic is you have to change how you eat, okay. And that's what it did for me. I lost a lot of the cravings that I had before to cheat and have.
Speaker 3: This and that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I get off of it. I didn't need it, and I wanted to see if I could do it just on my own without the ozepic. I know people that are still on it. They've lost the weight, but they stay on it. I think you really need to test yourself.
Speaker 2: But you know what made you can do it with awake in one eighty because thousands of people have done it. It's not that hard. Okay, And I'm begging you call me back in a couple of months and you'll be done in one eighty.
Speaker 7: Okay, fair enough, Thanks Manny.
Speaker 2: Happy new You appreciate your coak care. Let's keep well. No, we got to slow down here because we got we're close to the eleven thirty newscast. Uh I got some open lines. There were all at six one. I got G and miliss I got Laurie coming up as well. Did you make a New Year's resolution? Did it work? Have you broken it? Have you made New Year's resolutions in the past that have worked for you? That's what we're talking about. Many had made one and had worked for him. Love to hear from you. Six one, seven, two, four, ten, thirties. That's the only lines that are open right now. Light him up. Back after this.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on w b Z, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, back to the phones. We were talking about New Year's resolutions. Love to hear from you. Let's go to G in Millis g welcome. How are you.
Speaker 10: I'm doing just fine.
Speaker 2: What is it's It's simply gee? Is that it like urs.
Speaker 7: Something like that.
Speaker 2: So what's your New Year's resolution?
Speaker 4: Ge?
Speaker 2: Have you made one? Yes?
Speaker 10: I am looking forward to a year that is lottery free.
Speaker 2: So you're a lottery player and you want to kick the habit.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I want to just direct my money into a different situation and kind of just be free from that. And in my previous resolutions as a young person, I learned how to smoke and a smoking household, so I quit smoking along with my mother, who I learned from through a TBS program that was on TV from Thanksgiving until New Year's and they had you stop on New Year's Eve, was your last cigarette? So I've been, you know, smoke free since my early twenties. And one of the other resolutions I made a few years ago was to become a better listener. And what I found out by being a better listener over more than a year's time, because it was it just rolled into the rest of my life that I became a better friend.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. I think that there's a lot of wisdom in that. By the way, you sound like you're probably no older than twenty five. By the way, you have a very young son. Dan.
Speaker 10: You've always got a lot of stars for me. And by the way, I'm a first time caller. I've been listening from the time you started.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. Well, I love first time callers, and I love first time callers who become second time callers. But thank you so much. Look, how tough was it to give up the cigarettes? You said it was a PBS program that did you put this?
Speaker 10: Yeah, it really helped. They just it was three basic things that you had to tell yourself. You had to choose not to smoke. You understood that cigarette smoking was not good for your health. And then you had to put in uh something that you also affirmed, so that every time you wanted, you know, you had that desire, you know, the nicotine six or whatever it had evolved to. Uh, it just uh you just plugged in those three statements. You told yourself that, and you know it didn't really go away. Uh the desire was there for many years. But I just kept using, uh what I learned in the program, and I just never went back, never even once.
Speaker 2: Good for you, so that.
Speaker 10: It's tough for people, but we can do it. You know, it takes some determination and discipline and you know, a true authentic willingness, and and I feel like you gained mastery when you set yourself up to do something, say you're in competitive sports or something and you want to excel at it. It seems like if you put everything that you have into it, you can accomplish things. But it takes a lot of focus. And I say, people have it if they give it to themselves, if they want something.
Speaker 2: You know, when I was a kid, my father was a two packa day, unfiltered camel smoker, and he I've been a veteran of World War two, spent two and a half years in China, Burman, India, and in those days, the cigarette companies provided cigarettes to the troops and it was the old you know, smoke them if you got him. So he came back hooked on and I hated. I hated a cigarette smoke. I mean I hated the smell of it, and I grew up with it. I grew up with it. Yes, as a consequence, I've never smoked a cigarette life. I can't. When Bill Clinton said he did not Inhale, I knew exactly what he meant. I can remember trying to one time smoke a cigarette to show a girl I was dating is how ugly it looked. And I didn't. I couldn't. I literally did no ability to inhale the smoke. But my father quit cold Turkey. He went from two packs a day, stopped when the Surgeon General's report came out and said smoking you know nineteen this is nineteen sixty four, right, And he just went cold Turkey. He's a very you know, tough guy, okay, but I was amazed that he went cold Turkey. I can remember as a kid he would give us a quarter go up and get a pack of cigarettes for him, and he was either smoking Lucky Strikes or camels. And I can remember smelling the packages and the tobacco smell wasn't bad, but that smell of the smoke, I hated it.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 10: I can remember one thing about smoking the nicotine attaching to your skins of the fingers that held the cigarette. That was pretty gross.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep. Well, congratulations, this is your first time calling. I love the fact that you have finally called, and I hope you become a regular caller and tell your friends about Nightside. And by the way, just I know you probably know this, but we run a one hour show on Sunday nights. It's on tape, The Best Off, and we had a great guest. We had a couple of great guests this week, but one was last night at ten o'clock. I don't know if you heard Robert Charles, the former Assistant Secretary of State. It was an outstanding hour. And he has written a book called Cherish America. Stories of Americans famous and not so famous and why We've got the greatest country in the world. And so many people today called me and told me how they were inspired and they bought this guy's book as a result. On Sunday night, if you do nothing, flip on WBZ at eleven o'clock. It's a great hour.
Speaker 10: Can you repeat the title of the book please?
Speaker 2: Sure. The book was Cherish America, Cherish like you know you cherish something cherish. And his name was Robert Charles. He's a guy who grew up in Maine, became an Assistant Secretary of State under Secretary of State Colon Powell, and you know, worked in the powers of Washington internationally. He was an amazing guest and it's an amazing book. And just listen to it on Sunday night. I think you'll enjoy it a whole lot. And if people want to listen to it over the weekend, they can just go to Nightside on Demand dot com and listen to any of our hours on the program.
Speaker 10: This Sunday at ten pm eleven eleven eleven pm. That's late on a Sunday night anyway, if I can't tune in and in the meanwhile, it sounds like a great read.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and if you if you don't hear it on Sunday night, you can listen. Just go to our website which is Nightside and Demand, and there's that. You can listen to it anytime you want. All of our programs you could. You could tomorrow you could listen to our conversation this will be this hour will be posted tonight by rob By probably two am in the morning. When you get up in the morning you can listen to you.
Speaker 10: But I'm kind of a be here and now person, I mean, once.
Speaker 9: Once and done, all right, Well do me a favorite come back soon.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks so much, appreciate.
Speaker 10: Takeod care.
Speaker 8: Happy New Year to you, Happy New Year to.
Speaker 2: You as well. Thanks G. I are gonna go next to one of my favorite callers, Laurie. Laurie, how are you tonight? I suspect that you might have been a New Year's resolution person.
Speaker 8: Now I'm firmly in Rob's camp, and now I can actually next year actually make a resolution. But I think I probably have to send him royalties.
Speaker 2: Really, so you don't make that No, never really, Okay.
Speaker 8: I said someone the other day, accuse me kind of jerkingly. So obviously you you have no issues to resolve. I think some as I go. If there's something that needs changing me, I don't wait till the year turns over. I take care of it.
Speaker 2: You know something that's not a bad idea, But there is a moment I think psychologically where you wash the slate clean and you say, okay, twenty twenty four. I mean that is so much in my rear view mirror right now. I'm on to twenty twenty five.
Speaker 8: Now I move on to the next year. I just don't take the baggage with me.
Speaker 9: I embrace my perfection.
Speaker 2: Well, you know something, maybe that's that's that's a subconscious resolution when you think about it.
Speaker 8: Yes, yeah, they are behind me, but I don't I don't sit there and go, oh my gosh, what do I have to change this year? I don't it just because I I think a lot of it probably wouldn't happen.
Speaker 2: No, but I think a lot of people when when the year changes, if they've had a bad year, they feel great. Uh, you know that the stress of twenty twenty four hypothetically is gone. And if it was a great year, you know, it was the year that that your first child was born, or you got married, or you fell in love. Uh, you don't want that year to end. It's like, you know, wait a second, but all it is is just another sunrise when you think about it.
Speaker 9: Oh, exactly, yeah, time move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I'm totally I'm totally with you in that regard. So you've never made a resolution, huh? Never made a New Year's restirace?
Speaker 8: You know, maybe when we were kids and it was like either wouldn't said a second, Grady fight something, So everyone told me had to make a resolution. So he said, fine, there's like resolution. I mean maybe one of your kids, but it wouldn't probably have been anything serious. And again, now I just don't if they work out it at the time.
Speaker 2: A quick question here because I always want to talk to you, particularly on a Friday night. I like to figure out what's the weather in Idahoka. Is what you're having today? We probably will get sometime next week.
Speaker 8: I real before we're having today is the storm they're talking about that's going to slide south of you.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 8: It has snowed all day. It hasn't been a huge accumulation, but we've we've had just so much rain and wet snow for the last two months.
Speaker 1: So we had a little.
Speaker 8: Sunshine this morning for about an hour and then it started snowing. It started rain and then it turned to snow. So it's snowing, but it's not super cold. It's right around freezing.
Speaker 2: So man, we got with and I've had incredible winds for Massachusetts. Oh really, fifty miles sixty mile an hour winds. Yeah, a lot of a lot of problems with tree down, trees down, all that.
Speaker 8: And what are your temperatures? What's the windshill?
Speaker 2: Tough? Tough, single digits, single digits. I was out, it was out today walking Willie the dog a couple of times, and it's like you just want to oh, let me tell you. Oh yeah, buttoned up, trust me with the hoodie, the hoodies up, the hood the hoodies up looking like Bill Belichick except U No, yeah, now I'm cold. No, no, there's no sleeves, trust me, not even for sleeves underneath. And I got a heavy, heavy coat, heavy coat that I wear.
Speaker 8: W B.
Speaker 2: It's a w very subtle WBZ on the side, which is great, and it's it's very warm. It's very warm and willy even you know Willie who loves to sit outside and just admire, uh that, listen to birds and and chase he had no he is Yeah, yeah, I used him a couple of times this week. It's my it's my colleague on my uh my four point thirty pregame shows on Facebook, and we got a lot of good reaction to Willie. As a matter of fact, I asked, but read it today, if I could do have will if I could do her on Friday. She generally does Monday, Wednesday and Friday. And I said, can I do it today? And she said yeah. So there were a couple of people who work for another another shot will He's a showy w W. Yeah, you got it. He's a great little guy, great little guy.
Speaker 3: Lawya.
Speaker 2: I hope the weather clears up for you. But I think we're we're in the midst of winter now and there's no turning back.
Speaker 8: No, but you know what I'll take because last last winter it kind of did its minor thing and then all of a sudden we get three ft snow.
Speaker 6: Dumped on us.
Speaker 8: So I'll take this over, you know, a foot of snow every day.
Speaker 2: So yeah. Well, the problem is that when it gets as you know, being a New Englander, when it gets really cold in New England for a number of days, you know that something's cooking up there and is a storm.
Speaker 8: So uh yeah, and it might it might spy south of you guys, but it's coming east, I can guarantee.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's that's what they're saying. They're saying that the mid Atlantic States. You know, remember when we got killed back in twenty four twenty fifteen, the year before the mid Atlantic States took the front of it. So this might be a repeat of twenty fourteen for the mid Atlantic States. We'll see what happened. Yeah, Laura, I love you calls, you know that. Thanks so much for being there every night. Appreciate it so much.
Speaker 8: Okay, Yeah, nice to talk to you. Happy New Year in tonight, Happy.
Speaker 2: New Year to you, and good night as well. Goodness by all right, go take a quick break, a couple of calls, but I got a couple of lines open if you like. Two lines at six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty. One line at six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. The New Year's Resolution has not been a great hit, but that's okay. We've had some interesting calls. Thrilled that she made her first call, and thrilled at Laurie checked in from Idaho. There is no more loyal listener than Laurie and Idaho. I gotta tell you we'll be back on night's side. Feel free join the conversation.
Speaker 1: Coming right back now, back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: By the way, the Window World night Side studios are very comfortable, nice and warm because of the night, because of the Window World windows which are just so tight. They're great windows. Let's go next to Tom down on Cape cot. I'll bet it's a little chilly on the Cape tonight. Hey Tom, how are you good?
Speaker 7: How are you?
Speaker 9: I'm on the beach with the dogs.
Speaker 2: Are you really literally, yes, I am. Oh my god, how cold is it?
Speaker 9: It is twenty nine degrees.
Speaker 2: What's the windshill factor though there's no wind at all? Wow, boy, that's great. That's not bad. That is not bad. Want to tell me what beach you're on?
Speaker 9: Maybe I know that beach, West Tennis Beach.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's a great beach. Great beach.
Speaker 9: I'm way at the end, all the way down to the end. Letting the dogs run free.
Speaker 2: Uh, I understand. I love it when people call and they tell me where you know that they're in that situation a situation. Thank you for calling. How's how's you knew your resolution working out?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 5: I have it.
Speaker 9: It's not working out, but I just made it tonight. My New Years resolution is to stop listening to for dealing with negative people.
Speaker 2: That's not bad. How do you do that?
Speaker 9: I'll tell you. It's the people I'm surrounded with. It's not easy.
Speaker 2: Okay. Uh try being a talk show host.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, well, you do a very good job. I can't say that about some of the people you have. Well, one guy at particular, I won't mention them that you have to fell in for you, but but you do it. An excellent job. You've always been You've always been a good guy. I remember you when you're on your days in wv Z.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm still a w B is he just a little different part of the business, that's all. I went from TV to radio, so but I got to tell you what I love about radio. What I really love about this job is the number of people who I get to know. I mean, many people who haven't met, but I really get to know people when they become regular callers. I really mean that. And I some times, yeah, I mean, I recognize your name, and I recognize your voice, and I hope at some point next summer when I'm down the cape, we bump into each other and.
Speaker 9: We'll go coffee. At one point in time, you and I in Brookline Village ran right into each other right where the Brookline Brookline Savings Bank is, where the pot shop is now, We literally ran into each other. We look quite a bit of a we look quite a bit alike at that time. Now I'm I'm a little spots in the follicle area.
Speaker 2: That's okay, there's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with that. Hey, Tom, I loved you call man. Take care of those dogs. I got my son's dog. I'm dog sitting this week, Willie the Wonder Dog. So we love dogs.
Speaker 9: Nothing nothing like the dog.
Speaker 2: I'll see it at the Celtic Kitchens. Celtic Kitchen some morning. Okay, Oh, there you go.
Speaker 9: My treat.
Speaker 2: If if I run into you, well we can. We'll set it up, trust me. I always like to meet some of the listeners. I really do. Tom, thanks so much. Happy New Year to you and yours same to you. Right back at you. Okay, thanks, all right, let me get a couple in here real quickly. Christine and Debthim. Hi, Christine, how are you tonight?
Speaker 11: I'm good? How you Dan?
Speaker 2: I'm doing just great. Did you make a New Year's resolution?
Speaker 10: I did.
Speaker 11: I'm trying to strap on lestening my anxiety and not worry so much.
Speaker 9: That's everything that happens.
Speaker 2: That's a great resolution.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: And I'm also rocking on my house. I had a gasd by past sleep last April, and I'm doing well. I'm almost ninety six pounds right now.
Speaker 2: I'm down wow goody well please please please please, uh you know, try to try to take it off and if you get a chance, there's there's a few tricks to the trade. You know, keep drinking water, knock off you know the foods that that you got to knock off, knock them off, and weigh yourself every morning and every night, and you will learn.
Speaker 11: I used to do the wait last morning. I loved it, but I got so expensive and they moved. I was the one in Newton. Yeah, I enjoyed that program.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, here's the thing. Here's the thing, as I told Manny earlier in the in the hour, once you're in it, you're in it for life. And it doesn't cost any additional money. So if you want to go back just for the fun of it and and renew the relationship, you let me know and we'll make it happen. Okay, but everyone has a right to do it. I'm serious. You know you can go back, get the way in and everything will work out great.
Speaker 11: Okay, Okay, how's Billy doing by you will?
Speaker 2: He's doing fine. He's sleeping. I'll be sleeping soon. Thanks Christine. I got a run. I go one more. Happy New Year, Happy New Year, my friend. All right, thanks thanks Christin. All Right, we're gonna get Kevin up and lowell. Kevin. Last call of the week.
Speaker 5: Go right ahead, Kevin, Hey, how's it going?
Speaker 1: Dan?
Speaker 9: First time caller?
Speaker 2: Another first time caller? All right, little rotter A falls to Kevin and for g gee, I I got about a minute for you. Tell me what your new year's resolution.
Speaker 5: Is or my newest resolution is to a branch out in my radio career. I'm trying to get more into radio. I have a small show, but I want to I want to build up.
Speaker 2: Nothing wrong with that. We're always looking for talent and radio. Do you do that professionally or is that kind of a side a side gig?
Speaker 5: I guess it would be considered professionally. It pays a little bit, though, but good for you. It's a fun job. It's good for my body, good for you.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, let Rob, you get my direct line. From Rob, give me a call and I'll be happy to consult with you and talk about how he can break into the business.
Speaker 5: Okay, oh man, I really appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Do me a favorite. Rob, give Kevin my direct line. You call me and I will call you back. I guarantee it.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, thank you man. I really appreciate that.
Speaker 2: You got a good set of pipes. So you do well. All right, We're done for the week. Happy New Year to everybody. Back on Monday night. Got a full week next week. Gonna work me hard next week, that's for sure. I want to thank Rob, want to thank Marina, want to thank all of you. Remind you that Nightside on demand is available all weekend, any hour you missed this week, including the Robert Charles our feel Free Cherish America. We will see you Monday night. I'll be on Facebook Live. I've at nights Side with Dan Ray in about two minutes. All dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's why Pal Charlie ray Is, who passed fourteen years ago in February. That's why your pets are are passed. They loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see them again. We'll see you again on Monday night, everyone, and I'll see you on Facebook Nights Time with Dan Ray in about two minutes. Join us. Thanks everyone, have a great weekend. Stay warm,