Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: Some surprising news out of out of ESPN the Four Letter Network. They have fired and I guess laid off is probably the better way to describe this this move, but they have moved on from Robert Griffin third RG three and Sam Ponder, who I feel like Sam Ponder has been there forever. You know, she used to be involved in college in college football coverage, and then she made the move to being I think the host of the ESPN NFL pregame show on Sundays, and she was let go and no reasons were given, at least not from what I can see here. But at Awful Announcing, they're citing a report from the athletics Andrew marchand that they fired both Griffin and Ponder. The moves are considered to be budgetary and are the only two layoffs expected at this time. So there's a little bit of a probably just a coincidence, and I mean that sincerely. I have learned to not be so dismissive of potential conspiracy theories as I get older, But this came just a day after he went on because RG three. I don't know if he handles his social media, but if he does, props to him because he gets a ton of engagement and he's good at putting stuff out that gets a lot of engagement, which is what you want on social media this day and age. But it's not looked at as like it was clearly just something for attention, although he did randomly one day just throw out, hey, guys, who you taken in the election this fall, Biden or Trump? Like, come on, man, you know what you're doing. It's kind of funny. But yeah, so you know, his elon checks from myzation or probably pretty big. But some are saying that like this move had something to do with what he tweeted yesterday and what he said was actually not going to read the whole thing, but he criticized anybody still mocking Florida State for being snubbed from last season's college football playoff, and some took those comments as a thinly veiled shot at ESPN and Paul Finbaum, who had done you know who had done just that the day before on his show, like still mocking Florida State for you know, feeling as if they were worthy of being there, and you know, you got to wonder like Paul Finbaum. Let's be clear, he's a honk for the SEC. That's quite literally, like his his purpose, his role for the Four Letter Network. And you know, I don't I don't get really what the appeal is in regards to fine Baum, Like I don't. I don't find him to be entertaining or interesting. But hey, that doesn't mean I'm a hater. I got respect for this guy who's probably making more money a year than I'll ever make in this business. And he's got a huge following and does well, so shout out to him out college football coverage. I mean, I feel like RG three has been involved in the college football coverage a little bit more in recent years, and I think he does a pretty good job. Like I actually feel like RG three was was a pretty good analyst, but he has been he's been let go and then Sam Ponder and I think most recently she'd been doing a lot of a lot of NFL stuff. But yeah, anyways, it's our number two coffee and company, and we are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you guys, hanging out with us one hour in the books. We got a couple more to go, and we are gonna get the second hour started. That's right, we've got company. It's the one. It's the only, mister kent Spencer from w h as eleven can. I'll start with a rapid fire question. What's your favorite thing about the Kentucky State Fair?
Speaker 3: The Crispy Creme donut cheeseburger.
Speaker 4: So it's legit?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, no, I've never tried it. You feel like you're gonna have a heart attack afterwards, But man, is it's so nice going down.
Speaker 2: I mean to me, it just it sounds like such a rich food item to where like I would take a bite and feel like, okay, that's enough. But it's clearly popular. I don't remember when it debuted, but it is, I think consistently for many many years now, been one of, if not the most talked about food item at the Kentucky State Fair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and let me tell you something. It's not like I go to the State Fair every year, but when I go, I have one of those things. So I've only probably had three or four in my life, but thoroughly enjoyed it every time.
Speaker 4: Good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm such a plain jain when it comes to like, I have the palette of a toddler.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I eat chicken, chicken wings, a burger like I'm pretty you know, I don't really mix it up a whole lot with food. I'm trying to try different things as I get older, but like a lot of the State Fair food is just a little much for me. I'm an old fashioned, Kentucky proud pulled pork sandwich kind of guy.
Speaker 3: There's nothing wrong with that. But every now and then, you know, it feels good to spread your wings and get weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I might have to do that this time around, because you know, the it smells heavenly, not just the burger with the doughnut as the bun, but like all the Fair food. Man, it just it's it smells amazing. So yeah, first day of the ki Oreo cookie. Oh that that sounds like a cavity, That's what it sounds like. But I'm sure it is very, very very tasty. All right. So you covered it on on Saturday post the first scrimmage for Louisville football camp. It was, you know, first time they were able to actually get out there and replicate as best you can during camp what a real game situation is. I just wanted to get your thoughts on Jeff Brahm's comments. I don't think he was too high too low, but he did make it pretty clear throughout his post his post practice interview that he wants to see more playmakers emerge. Is that just you know, how much do you think that's just a coach trying to continue to tell guys, hey, you know, we got to have his you know, we got to keep getting better. Or do you think maybe he is a little bit maybe he's a little surprised that he hasn't seen more guys emerge as you know, playmakers as he says.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it may be a little bit of both. I think he definitely wants his guys to he he wants this group because if you kind of look at this group, you know, what have they really done in a Louisville uniform. So don't don't rest on anything that you have or you think you're gonna get or anything like that. Like you got to continue to push, you got to continue to work, and those things can happen for you. So you know, for him, you know, yeah, I mean I think, you know, especially with you know, we're still several weeks out before they played their first game, you definitely want to keep pushing, you know. You you praise when you need to praise, but you you want your players to still have the pedal on the gas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think just just an observation for me as we are still early in this new era of college sports with the portal and within I l I think talking season, which is what we're in right now. Obviously they are practicing, but you know, we haven't. We've aust at a lot of the different talking points and now we're just you know, anxious and eager for you know, for for for real football. But I think because you just haven't. Like, there's gonna be examples on every side, right A guy who transferred in that had high expectations but it didn't work out, a guy who transferred in that you didn't expect much of and he was great, or you know, no matter what I think, for the next ten years, there's going to be different cases that tell you you really don't have a clue, which you have when you are reliant so much on the portal to where I feel like a lot of folks have just kind of chalked it up as, look, we're going to see when we get here, right, you know what I mean, Like we're in a different world now whenever you could look and see, Okay, they bring back ninety percent of their starters and that team is pretty damn good, so they should take a step up. I think now, you know, I think fans have just kind of realized, we have no clue what we're going to get from these from these dudes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look and talking season, it starts at the end of July, and sometimes that actually, you know, sometimes it can it could start really in the in the middle part of July, to be quite honest with you, and then you know, it lasts until the first game. So you know, you're only projecting, You're only trying to predict what these guys are going to do. You know. Now, you know, Louisville opens up you know quite of actually, you know, when it comes to you know, Power five schools and mean, Louisill opens up a lot of practices. I want to say it was anywhere from like six to eight practices they opened up in fall in fall camp specifically, you know, kind of at the beginning where fans and media could go and watch them and you get you can you can glit a glimpse or a snapshot of what somebody you know can do on a particular play, but it's not the same as a flow of the game. I mean, I remember last year, like you know, we thought Jamari Thrash was going to be good, but you don't really know until you actually saw it in the first game because you need to see it against somebody else. And and man, he was really good against Georgia Tech. And he was really good from that that forard that point on until you know he got banked up and hurt and was much less of a factor. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the coaches at times probably have had a newcomer come in from the portal and they're really really loving what they see, but they kind of maybe hesitate to really know. Okay, maybe I'm maybe maybe there's some maybe there's some newness here that I'm getting really intrigued by. Maybe I need to remind myself that, hey, this guy's coming from I'll give you an example. This isn't even football, but I know when Carleigue Jones got to u of L during his one season they were thinking, Okay, this guy might be like really really really good, but then they were hesitant, Okay, well, maybe it's because of who he's playing against it on our team. Maybe it's because you know, we just haven't had a dynamic guard like this in a while. And sure enough, you know, he ended up being better than they ended up thinking. So you really, you know, you really never know. But I just think as a coach, and we talked about this last week, just how the job has changed so much. I mean, again not to make it a pity party for these coaches, because you know they're they're very well compensated, and you know, making adjustments and things changing is not that uncommon in every day life for people in their job. But you know, I feel like that would be wouldn't that be a real thing that would weigh on your mind you're a football guy, like if you're a coach, and like you really have like you know, it's a complete roll of the dice with maybe forty to fifty percent of your guys you're throwing out there in your first string because it's just you know, we'll see, right, I mean, I know there's always been a level of like you never know what you're going to get, but it's just different now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, some guys could give you a really good indicator and practice with their you know, they're with their athleticism and physicality, and you know, you try to do the best you can of studying these guys on tape, so you have a decent you know, so you have a decent idea. But you know, whether it may be a wide receiver or a quarterback, what are they going to do in your system? You know, how are they going to you know, how are they going to interact with their teammates? How how are they going to play off of each other? You know all of that. To be quite honest with you, I mean, you get a little bit of a good indication in practice, but sometimes, man, when the stadiums are full and that music's blaring, sometimes everything changes and you just hope when those things are in place that those guys can deliver. And so you know, like, let's be honest with you, there there are highly talented freshmen and how many have we seen at local programs over the years, and on signing day they are going to be the best thing since slice bread. You never hear from them again.
Speaker 2: I kind of feel like that's happened more often than the other way around. I feel like some of the some of the bigger names during that signing day period where you know, it was a big get, you know, I feel like more often than not, those guys end up either being you know, good but nowhere near expectation, or they just don't get on the field and leave.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, and like you know, and look freshman coming in. You know that that's a crapshoot transfers, you know, you believe you're getting a little better of a known product when they're coming in. And that's why I think so many people are trying to take advantage of it. And you probably see, to be quite honest with you, you probably see more of those guys pan out than not. And that's one of the that's one of the reasons. And I think you know, when you look at what Jeff Bromm and Louis wore a building, you know, these last couple of years, they they've gone transfer heavy. And I just think that if they feel like they have a need and they can get it by a by a proven somewhat proven commodity, that they would much rather take the chance on that than the unprovend did come out of high school and you never really know how that person's going to develop.
Speaker 2: No I, and I think, I think you're going to continue to see more and more coaches go that, you know, go that route. Maybe some will have bad results and maybe mix it up. And No, I I think if you want to win now, and you know, hey, I've got some an IL money aside, and and it's pay for play quite clearly, and we've got this need, let's let's go get it done. I think, you know, over the next few years, you'll get it. You'll get a sense of who really you know, which which way each coach really he is going to try to make it work in this new world of college athletics. But Ken Spencer's our guest. You're joining us on Sports Talk seven ninety. We talked, you know, I know there's as we just have discussed the last five minutes or so, there's so much unknown now. But what are you hearing in regards to what Kentucky has a quarterback? Brock Vandergriff of course, was behind some really good quarterbacks at Georgia, one of the best teams, if not the best team in the country in the last few years collectively. But now he's at Kentucky. Obviously he's going to be their starter, a really highly ranked recruit. Again, it's all we all know that there's a lot of unknown here. But are you getting any kind of a sense as to what they feel like they have Do they feel like they maybe got better at that position post Devin Leary?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, to be quite honest with you, I mean, you know, they opened up their first practice, you know, of media day, and then they had their fan day, but they haven't really had any open practices since then. I get the sense, you know, there's a lot of positive talk about him, but generally speaking, you don't hear negative. Sure, yeah, and you haven't heard. You know, sometimes if a guy, if an offensive coordator, feels like his starter needs to be pushed, he'll put something out there that you know, he kind of fires a shot across the bow, so to speak. This guy needs to this guy needs to take a step forward. Bush Hampden has not done that. It makes you think that, you know, they really have liked what they've seen as long as you know, he's probably playing in the confines of the offense. I think it hurts that trip train them. They're running back that they got from Ohio State that was going to be their starter. He's got a hand injury. They say he's going to be out for the foreseeable future. You know, that probably doesn't help a new quarterback that's going to be starting in the SEC for the first time. So I don't know how long he'll be out. I mean, they got Southern miss in their first week, and then you know it's like that must win game. They have South Carolina in week two, and you know, oftentimes it's those kind of games that really kind of make break their season because you know, look, eventually, you know, on this on their schedule, they've got Georgia, They've got you know, the Tennessee, They've got Texas. You know, they like those games, they just keep coming. And so the games that you could win, those fifty to fifty type games, you really need to win those games and put them in your favor or it's going to be a long year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no doubt. I can't remember a Kentucky schedule, not that I have all of them, you know, fresh in my mind, where you know, within the first couple of weeks, a game that really does kind of get you know, are you going to be closer to maybe an eight and four, You're going to be closer to a six and six. That South Carolina game is certainly a big factor. One more question in regards to to this Kentucky team. Again, a lot of it will depend on how Vandergriff does and how the offensive line holds up. But I know these two receivers did have a little bit of a let down season last year with some drops and just really expectations were really high after a sensational freshman campaign from both Barry and Brown and Dane Key. Those are two guys that I still believe just from a talent person, like at any moment, if they if they take over a game with with you know, big time plays, like, I think those guys are as far as talent. Again, you got to you gotta get results, you got to prove it, and they have at times. But I think those guys are special. I think Kentucky in a way like they've got two weapons there that if if Brock granted, if brog grant Vandergriff is is you know, even have to be Georgia level, great, But if he's serviceable and he gets protection, Like, I think those guys could be primed for a big bounce back year.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I couldn't agree with you more. And here's what I would say about those two guys going into last year. They were the ones doing the talking. Yeah, you know what I mean, like, oh yeah, they were the ones that talked about how great they were going to be and how good they were going to be. And I think the expectation or their assumption that they were just automatically going to take that next step and make that jump, I think that that bit them a little bit. Sure. And you know, you actually did see Brown and Key play much better towards.
Speaker 2: The end of the season against lolle.
Speaker 3: Well and and and they they both played well against Clemson, you know, not even just Loull, you know, I mean obviously, you know.
Speaker 2: They kind of settled down a little bit and and you know what pressing at the end of.
Speaker 3: The season, and they and they started to kind of live up to the hype that they created for themselves towards the end of the season. And so I'm I'm really anxious to see because it really seems like they have they have had a much more grounded mindset coming to this year, and if that's the case, then they have a chance to both be really good and guess what that would be just a huge best friend for that for Brock Randogriff. A new quarterback coming in and you got guys that if you throw in to them, they're going to find a way to make a play come down for you man, that just for a quarterback, that's just a confidence builder right there.
Speaker 2: No doubt, it's growth, it's it's you know, it's it's it's of you know, going through growing pains. They'd made enough plays early on to where they did generate I think buzz that was worthy. As you mentioned, they were doing a little bit of the talking, probably getting a little bit caught up in that hype that was there, and they didn't deliver right away. Some losses took, some losses hit, and then I think they were having some drops that you know, maybe some of it was on quarterback, but they were probably overthinking it for the first time maybe in their careers. Football players. These are guys that were like, oh wow, you know, the hype was there, and now I'm not delivering. They're probably overthinking it some, which is leading to some drops and things like that. But no, I those are two guys that like HiPE buzz whatever word you want to use. I would never be surprised if they go off and take over a game because I mean, they've got the talent, especially Barry and Brown. I mean that, I mean some of the plays he made as a freshman, and then again, as you mentioned later in the year, that guy's got the talent. And Dane Key, I mean you could you could you could say the same about him. I think it's there hasn't been as much chatter about those two guys because it just didn't hit for them last year. But again, I will not be somebody that's ever surprised when those guys make big plays. They're they're that good.
Speaker 3: But I'll say that, and this is honestly, like as much as we talk about both both programs and the sexy talk is always about quarterback, wide receiver, running back, whatever. But man, does it start with the guys up front in the trenches. I mean you know what I mean, Like, oh yeah, you know, they don't get talked about now.
Speaker 2: They get talked about when a play doesn't doesn't work right, Like they don't get any of the preseason chatter. It's not sexy talk, as you mentioned.
Speaker 3: So so when you have a hole that you can drive a semi through, the running back gets the credit, not the dudes who opened the hole that you could drive a semi through, You know what I mean? Sure and so, but but for both teams, you know, they all have both programs. They have question marks up front. You know, how is you know, how's Louisville going to replace a guy like Brian Hudson and some of those other guys up front? You know, can they do it? Can they run the ball? Can they protect Tyler Shuck? We'll see. Can Kentucky get back to be in the big Blue wall because it's a great nickname. But you know, at some point, remember the thing Nebraska has the black Shirts?
Speaker 2: Right, I can give you, I can give you a better one. Do you remember Louisville's the worst defense in Power five history called themselves? Was it No Fly Zone or the tax Boys?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: My god, it was the tax Boys, wasn't it? Do you remember this at all? My refreshing your memory? Whenever the Louoisvelles guys did a lot of talking and then they were terrible. Is that what we're looking at the blue wall potentially.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like and you know, Nebraska forever they were still handing out these black shirts for their defensive line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they were terrible.
Speaker 3: And so the thing about it is is like, yeah, it's a nickname. It's a cool nickname when it works. But you got to be able to get back to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have some self awareness.
Speaker 3: Got to start off front.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you, all right, one more question here, I'll put you on the spot. This is just something I found to be interesting. In eighteen the last twenty seasons, a preseason top ten team has finished unranked at the end of the season. Who would you say has the best chance of being that team? Georgia, O High State, Oregon, Texas, Alabama, Old Miss, Notre Dame, Penn State, Michigan, Florida State. I think you actually have a few different candidates here that I could see with a scenario where they're not ranked. But of those ten, and I know I just threw them at you rapid fire there, who stands out if you think, okay, yeah, won't be shocked if they're unranked when we get to the end of November.
Speaker 3: You know, there's there's something that tells me as I as, I'm just kind of glossing over this thing and looking at it right now. My two top candidates would be I actually have to My three top candidates would be old miss Notre Dame in Penn State.
Speaker 2: I could see it. I could see it, no doubt Notre Dame is one for me, and I don't I don't know enough about their personnel, but I just I don't know. I feel like that doesn't it feel like this is the year where everybody you know takes a side here. Either Marcus Freeman's the guy for Notre Dame or maybe his days are numbered. I just kind of feel like he's been just good enough to where the chatter hasn't started that he's you know, that he's in trouble. But I feel like if they go to they go to College Station for the first game of the season at A and M. I kind of feel like if if they if they don't win, that I think you'll start to hear some more noise about maybe Notre Dame made the wrong decision.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And look, to be quite honest with you, I'm actually gonna walk the notor I'm actually gonna walk the Notre Dame thing back. I just I just took a look at their schedule. They're gonna they're gonna find a way to stay in the top twe it's.
Speaker 2: Their weakest schedule in a long time. I just saw that the other day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll go with old mister pent State. I think one of those, one of those two teams out of the top ten will probably, if it happens, one of those two teams will not will not be ranked.
Speaker 2: Good stuff as always can't appreciate the time. I'm going to the fair with my kids on Saturday afternoon. I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna I'm gonna I'm gonna be I'm gonna branch out and be a little bit more, you know, open to trying new things. I'm gonna have the doughnut burger for you.
Speaker 3: I can't let me tell you something. I cannot wait to hear the report. I think you're gonna thoroughly enjoy it and then feel like you need to do a cleant afterwards.
Speaker 2: Good stuff, man, appreciate you can't hiba all right, that's kid Spencer from WHAS eleven always appreciate its time. Good stuff there. Yeah, Notre Dame. I will say this, everything I said about Marcus Freeman I totally stand by. But I'm glad he brought up their schedule because I saw because I've always defeated Notre Dame, they actually for not playing in a conference. People just assume they play nobody. They usually have a pretty good schedule. This year not as much, which of course will benefit will benefit Marcus Freeman, but it also could really expose him too if they have more losses than people are expecting. All right, quick break, We will come back on the other side. Talk a little more Louisville hoops, because you know, John Rostein was just a complete clown for where he put Louisville in his preseason ACC rankings. The Athletic the you know, I'm only saying this because they're more high on Louisville. They have a new ranking out that I want to take a look at that I think is a little more legit as you could expect. And also the G five are they reading the room. They're gonna meet collectively and talk about their own college football postseason, which isn't so surprising if you think about it. So stick with Us're about how there it's Coffee and Company fuel about Thorton's on Sports Talk seven ninety This Tiger, It is Tiger and Chris Brown, not Tiger Tiger. That's right, t Yga good stuff here, all right, it's Coffee and Company speaking of good stuff. That's us, Nick, Coffee, the company man, mister John all on alongside today and we are fueled about Thornton's. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us. Also appreciate Ken Spencer for making time for us like he usually does. Good conversation there. If you guys missed it, be sure to check out the podcast. We'll have it up once the show comes to an end. Five ver two sixty five three zero seven ninety is the Llenn Federal Credit Union text line. If you guys want to be a part of the show, participate contribute. And this text says, Nick, you said it earlier, and I think you're spot on. I am starting to be a little worried as to why we're not hearing more about Tyler Shuck. You would think with brom having a quarterback that, as he said, can make the offense a little more vertical, that there'd be a little bit more love for him. Well again, what are you looking for when you say love? I mean I've not heard anybody say, hey, I'm I mean, it's easy to forget this because this era of the calendar as a college football fan is forgotten. Every year I'll remind you, like if stuff's coming out of camp, it's usually bad news. Like you don't want to be making news during fall camp because it's usually bad. And like, for example, you know Kentucky they're running back kent mention it, Chip train them. That's the guy who I feel like is called on to be the next not the next Ray Davis. Ray Davis is pretty good in the grand scheme of things, but like he's the guy that is to fill that role and he's hurt, broke his hand, probably gonna miss the first few games for them. That's certainly problematic. And as far as the next guy up at running back for them, I mean, I don't even know who would be. I mean, I'm looking at their depth chart, and you know, I'm not as familiar with their personnel as I am Louisvill's obviously, but I don't even know who any of these guys are. So anyways, like I don't think you're hearing anything about I'll put it this way. I don't think you're not hearing things about Tyler Shuck because they're worried about him. I think I'll put it this way. I think Tyler Shuck if you put a you know, a lot of tector equipment on Jeff Brahm, he would tell you that he believes, and maybe he would say he knows that he has a better arm to work with than what he did last year with Jack Plumber. But I can also tell you that he probably expected I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't put I shouldn't speak for Jeff and his staff, but I wouldn't put it this way. I wouldn't be shocked if they told you they did expect to have better quarterback play than what they got from Plumber. But with Plumber it was weird man like, he didn't have a terrible arm. He didn't. I mean, in fact, this may this may sound uh, this may sound crazy, but there was a little bit of Jack Plumber in Malie Cunningham. I know what you're thinking, What the hell are you talking about, you idiot? They were nothing alike. Yeah, Mollie clearly made his plays mostly with his with his legs now. But at times he could make throws, like he would make a throw every now and then we are like, damn, why can't you do that more often? That was a needle like that was that was perfect and you know then the next series out he couldn't throw a five yard pass that seemed to be the easiest pass that he'd have all day. So, like, what separates guys from being like good enough or good to where you can be a strength of the team is consistency. And you also have to keep in mind if you're inconsistent as a quarterback with your arm, and on one day you can make the throws, on the next day, you can't. As a play caller, what do you do? You don't know what you're gonna get, right, Like, okay, let me dial this up, But like are we going to get the good arm or the bad arm that we see here and there? So with all that said, back to Tyler Shuck, I just think with Jeff, like, you know, he's not a First of all, he's not gonna come out and gas up his quarterback. So I've heard nothing but good things about Shuck. That doesn't mean that like he's going to be the acc player of the ear. But it really is just a wait and see situation, you know. I'll put it this way. Shuck enters his career at Louisville with better credentials than Jack Plumber did. It all just comes down to how healthy can can he stay? And only time will tell. But I do think it wasn't a quinn, It wasn't just a random thing he put in there. I think you know, Jeff wanted it out there that they don't intend to utilize him the way with his legs, the way that Texas Tech and Oregon did with Shuck. Now they're gonna have a package in there to where he could be utilized on the ground, and he could be serviceable in that role. But you also have to know this guy's fractual. You got to keep him safe, so you know. To answer your question, I guess you didn't really have a question, more of a comment. To respond to your comment, I wouldn't. I wouldn't take it that you not hearing that he's killing it in practice as a sign that maybe he's not going to be good enough. I think Plumber made it to where fans are going to be a little more hesitant to just expect a transfer quarterback to come in and give you good results. So put it this way, and this sounds so mean. I don't think he could be worse than Jack Plumber, right, And I say that knowing that Plumber did make plays that helped you win games at times. He also a place that made you feel like you were going to lose a game that you had no business losing at times. So I just hope you get consistency. And look, if you go back and look at all the quarterbacks that Jeff has coached as a head coach, I think Jeff made them in times look a lot better than they actually were, just because of who he is as a play caller and as an offensive guru. Plumber was weird, man like, it was just weird how that worked out, because Plumber couldn't make himself look good, and you know, it's just it is bizarro. Jeff Brohm to know that last year they went ten and three, ten and four, I guess in the end after the Bowl loss, and they did not have really any true consistent participation from the from the tight end position. And I say that knowing that, yes, Nate Kriski last year made some plays and even Joey Gatewood caught a couple of touchdowns. Like those guys were on the field. I don't want act as if they didn't play with the position of a tight end last year, but it was not a factor. And usually Jeff Brohm really can can get a balanced attack going and then just carve you up with his tight ends being you know, available and you know, making big plays. So the quarterback kept it to where you really had to rely on and really take full advantage of two great running backs in Garrindo and Jordan, and you didn't really use the tight ends and you didn't really go vertical downfield like it was a good year, in fact, a really good year in the grand scheme of things. Ten win seasons don't happen that often around here. But the way they got there was just a little weird. All right, Let's go back to the text on five OO two six five three zero seven ninety. That is the number if you want to give us. If you want a text end, you can fibo two six five three zero seven ninety. The L and N Federal Credit Union text line fallons are open as well. Five O two five to seven to one seventy nine hundred. This text is from somebody who at one point has has told us their name was Tom, because that's what I saved it at in our text line here. But Tom writes and says, Nick, I'm not as worried about the win total. I think ten is unrealistic this year. If they get any lower than eight, I'll be disappointed. But for me, if they get eight or nine and one of those wins is Clemson or Kentucky, I'll say it was a good season. Well, Tom, if you say it, then we all say it. But I think that's fair. Like I understand that mindset, right, Like, maybe ten wins is a little bit harder to do, just because again, the schedule. I'm not going to present it as some daunting schedule that you just, you know, you're crying yourself to sleep at night, worried about who you're gonna have to play, because it's not that. But it is better than what was on the slate a year ago. So, you know, SMU, let's say, like you're replacing SMU with let's see here, let me pull up the schedule because I'm not ready to say that they're going to come in here and be you know, one of the top three teams in the in the ACC. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe they will be. I just look, nobody's talking about the fact that they lost to Boston College in a bowl game last year coming off of what was a really special season for them. Like I just I don't know, Like I can't have a hard time ignoring that, Like that didn't like that wasn't somewhat of a somewhat of a test there to see where they stand against a program in the ACC that really wasn't good. So, you know, Louisville this year, instead of playing n C State, who by the way, ended up being pretty good, you know, they've got Stanford instead of playing uh, Virginia Tech, who they don't play right, Yeah, instead of playing Virginia Tech, they now have you know, Clemson, Like clearly you're playing a better team in Clemson instead of playing Let's see, I'm trying to see how many repeat opponents they had. I guess the only the only teams on their schedule last year in ACC play that aren't there this year is Duke in, Virginia Tech and n C State. So with that, again, you've replaced Duke in C State and who is the other one I mentioned va Tech, Yeah, and vaw Tech. So you've added SMU, Stanford and Clemson. So I mean, I don't know. I feel like Clemson alone means that you have a tougher schedule because they're usually the winner of this league. They're a top fifteen right now. But Stanford should suck really bad if we're being honest. And Simus kind of a wild card. So you got rid of Duke, who is you know, clearly starting over with Manny Diaz and va Tech, who, by the way, is viewed to be one of the surprise teams, right, Like, I think VA Tech were ay right behind.
Speaker 4: Louisville, and they were at the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Last year, they were right behind Louisville. Also in the preseason rankings, for whatever that's worth, right, it was Florida State, Clemson, n C State, Miami, Louisville. That I'm pretty sure is how the preseason rankings came down. So you know, if Louisville ends up with eight or nine, like, let me cause not when you only play twelve games, not every record is the same, is that if that makes sense?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Like, not every seven and five is the same thing. Not every eight and four is the same thing, because I feel like when you are Louisville and you don't have a schedule that features, you know, six to seven ranked teams like some ACC and Big ten teams will face. If you get to eight and four, I kind of feel like you need to have one of those wins, be one that was notable. And last year you knocked off Notre Dame and that at the end of the year didn't look as good as it did at the time, but it's still still mattered. It's still a good win, no doubt. But if you look at Louisville schedule from top to bottom, and now I'm looking at like there are tiers here, let's start with the games you should just win, like there's no real conversation. You should win Stanford, Austin p Jacksonville State, Georgia Tech, and Virginia and Pittsburgh. Like that's six games Austin p Jacksonville State. And I know Georgia Tech is believed to be better than a year ago, and they did have a good year last year with Brent Pry and they ended up being a bowl team and all that, but like little at home, first real test, they should win. If Louisville is anything anything close to what we think to, we can circle Georgia Tech on September twenty first and say, no, you should win that game. So those are your first three games that you should You should just win. Like you may lose, maybe something crazy happens, but like nobody can be scared as a Louisville fan that embraces expectations and say we should not be undefeated when we play Notre Dame. So six games, those first three. I'm throwing Virginia in there because they stink and they're going to be the worst team in the league. Maybe Boston College, I mean, same situation. I mean I know they've they've you know they've they've made some changes to their staff and whatnot, and you know they got that quarterback everybody likes. But still, again, if Louisville is who we think they can, if love was even close to who think they are, these are games you should win. So I'll start over again. Austin p Jacksonville State, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Boston College, Stanford, and Pitt did I li seven? I can't Countford, Yeah that's seven. So if you lose any of those games. It's not gonna be a crazy thing because one Louisville always seems to lose a game you shouldn't have lost, and let's be honest, Jeff, unfortunately, and look we can say it. He says it himself like he knows what's out there about. Hey, he can win these big games, he's proven that. But man, he'll turn around and lose to a nobody. So like the other five games, you've got Georgia Tech, SMU, Miami, Clemson in Kentucky, I'm gonna go with two tiers here, games that you are expected to lose but you know you can win. I would say that is I mean at Notre Dame is still gonna be a game they're not expected to win. At Clemson still a game they're not expected to win. Miami is a is a game they could easily lose at home. But given that they beat them there last year and they are at home this year and again Louisville should be better in my opinion. Again, that's a game like to me, that's the ultimate coin flip game, like they could go anyway, right, So you're not going to be expected to win Clemson in Notre Dame. But if you do, hell yeah, and then when it comes down to Miami, I put them as the ultimate coin flow. And then with you know, with with Kentucky, I don't really know what to do because I mean, let's be real, it shouldn't be looked at as some super tall task to go in and beat them in Lexington. But you couldn't beat them last year. They seem to no matter what, be ready to go in that game. They got your number, and they're gonna have confidence, like they can now come into that game having a very underwhelming season, just like they did last year, not feel great about themselves, but feel good knowing, hey, we got the get right game coming up. We got Louisville. And I hate that they were able to view it that way, but they can, and it's just right like they last year was the ultimate game, where like you better get them because they're down. They don't even have any confidence. Their coach is telling their fans to pay more money. I mean, there was no life to Kentucky football when that game happened last year. And then they showed up and they won and it was a punch in the gut. So I'm leaving that one alone, Like I think fans should still be able to look at that and say, yeah, we expect to win, because look, this isn't sadderfield football. Jeff Bram's a winner. He's proven that hedn't be Kentucky, and I know he's probably been bothered by that more than anybody. But that's the tier. You've got seven games that you just should win. You can lose to anybody, we know that, but seven games where if you take care of business, you win, and then you have two that you're not supposed to win, but if you do, hell yeah, that's at Clemson, an at Notre Dame, and then you know from there, it's who's the two that I've left off? Miami and SMU is the team I knew I was forgetting a team SMU. I put them in the same thing with Miami. They're not ranked like Miami is. They're clearly a team that's getting some respect. But you should win, like you could lose. It's a more losable game than you know, hosting Pittsburgh. But yeah, I think if you're eight and four, nine and three, to me, I think it really depends on who those wins were and who those losses, because again, I know some people can just say, look, they're nine and three. What do you want? It's nine and three, and you're right about that. But at the same point in time, like who you beat matters. And that's why I was so crazy to me that Scott Saturdayfield could never really break through and win eight regular season games, because there were like three seasons where he could have won eight regular season games, been eight and four going into a ballgame, and he would at the end of the year actually not have a win. That was all that impressive. Wouldn't have been his fault, Right, you can only play who was on your schedule. But anyways, quick break will come back on the other side, wrap of the four o'clock hour. This thing rolling along, it's coffee and company. We are feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: I know this song.
Speaker 2: I can't. I can't. I mean, I'm like humming along that. I don't know any of the words. Who is this?
Speaker 4: This is Candlebox with far behind?
Speaker 2: Okay, look at this a known song, right? People know this? Right?
Speaker 4: Their biggest hit back in the mid nineties. I believe.
Speaker 2: Good vibes, good vibes, all right, So we'll get a little more into this on the five o'clock hour, But I continue to see more and more stories out there in regards to this Group of five commissioners meeting that's going to take place next week. I believe in Texas and it's taught. It's in regards to a potential reshaped G you know, group of five. G five is what I call them postseason where they kind of have their own playoff. Some have even said n it of college football, which I'm curious, like, I don't know, like I feel like doing that, you are confirming what everybody already says about you, but yet everybody knows it's true. Like it's clearly a big There's a big difference right in playing in a G five league and playing in a power forward being a dominant in a dominant independent like Notre Dame. When I say dominant, I just mean, you know, they cannot be in a conference and still break in a ton of money. I mean they're a national program, they really are. But anyways, it's a part of me that if I am somebody like a Boise or a like, who's the most likely G five successful program moving forward? Like, gosh, it's tough to say, but like, is it Boise Memphis, Like I don't know, maybe there's a Sun Belt team that, Like.
Speaker 4: I feel like a lot of the really good ones recently jumped to the Big twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, I mean Cincinnati, Central Florida, Houston BYU Houston. So you know, maybe Nevada is in Nevada actually pretty good? Yeah, basketball, theyre pretty No, they're not Nevada. I don't think it's good now, but yeah, a Mountain West team like oh, like San Diego State. Yeah, but I feel like all these programs were mentioning you know, you're you're It really just is a year by year thing, like you know, the only of all the programs we've thrown out there, I feel like the one that has for the most part been good or really good for who they are consistently is Boise State. Like maybe they're going to be the consistent team that does get that spot as the one G five. So if if you're them, I would say, look, you know, we know what we can do, Like we've played in BCS Bowl games before when that existed to where I don't know, I just feel like if you have your own it will further speed up the powerful people within the college football playoff to make it quite clear you're not involved, you're.
Speaker 4: Out, you know what I mean? It makes sense like it'll almost be another like you have the FBS and the fcs. You almost have to have a middle tier for the G five.
Speaker 2: Like you also, you know that could be a big revenue thing. Though, is this other playoff that is for you to where and you need that? So like, no, there's way more that would go into than I would ever know. But I just feel like if you're fighting to let people know, hey, yeah we're we don't have the resources of the power for and we don't have you know, the tradition, but man, you give us a chance to get in that playoff, We're going to show you where who we are. I think by doing this it kind of creates a little bit more of a of a scenario to where they could say, well, look, you already have you know, you kind of confirmed that you aren't you aren't one of us. But then again, you're only doing that because you know for a fact that you're only going to get one team in every year. So anyways, we got another hour to go, five o'clock hours coming up next A lot more to get into, so stick with us. We'll get back to the text line. Talk a little more about the Kentucky State Fair. Let you know just how bad John Rostein was a putting together a SEC rankings because the athletic has put out the official rankings because they make Louisville look better. Who else knows, whoever, who knows? What else we'll get into. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety