Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: Throughout history, there have been stories of dolls that were dangerous. Sometimes such tales come from voodoo legends, or from TV shows like The Twilight Zone or Night Gallery, or from films like Child's Play. A few strange occurrences can turn a child's plaything into an object of terror, changing a trusted doll into a totem of fear. Let me tell you a story. And while you may find it hard to believe, the following story is true, the story took place just a few years ago. There's a little girl we're going to call her im Em was a child who loved to play with her dolls, But she was also very creative and liked to decorate her dolls with paint and markers. Now, in her mind, she was just having fun, but it bothered her parents to see her dolls transformed into garishly painted and occasionally dismembered creatures. One day, they found her favorite doll with his hair cut and permanent marker stains on his face. It was missing a leg. Her parents wanted to teach her a lesson, to teach her not to mistreat her toys, so they told her she needed to apologize to the doll. Reluctantly, she did so, but then came the hard part. They told her she had to throw the doll away. She didn't want to do it, but they were insistent and made her take it to the trash can and put it inside. Later that day, her parents took the trash out to the street for pickup. The next day, Em woke up to find that her doll was back, lying on the floor of her room. Her parents found her there holding the doll and accused her of getting it out of the trash can. The trash is dirty and it can make you sick, they told her. We know you like the doll, but it needs to go away, So back into the trash it went. And this time EM's father took the doll himself and put it in a trash bag while the girl watched, And then he took the bag out to the bin and dropped it into the bottom of the can. You need to stay out of the trash. You said goodbye to your doll, he chied at her. Don't let me catch you out here, trying to get her back now. Em denied having touched the trash, but she agreed that she would not do so. But the next day the doll was back, and this time it was in the girl's bed. When she woke up, she screamed and her parents came running into the room. Her mother asked the girl why she'd gotten the doll out of the trash, but she said she hadn't. Oh, we want to believe you, honey, But dolls don't climb out of the trash, they told her, Yet she was insistent she hadn't touched the trash. The doll must have come back on its own. So the father and the daughter put the doll into a plastic bag, and together they drove more than a mile away, where the little girl watched as he threw the bag into a dumpster. This should solve the problem, he said, and they went home. A few days later, the whole family was planning to take a road trip, and as they were preparing to leave, taking their bags out of the car and loading up to go, the parents heard a scream. When they went to the car, there sitting in the car seat was the doll. Everyone was shaken up by this, but EM's father insisted there had to be a logical explanation. Still, everyone was a little relieved as they watched him place the doll into the trash yet again before they all got into their car and drove off on vacation. The trip was uneventful. They arrived at their hotel well, they got room keys for two rooms with a connecting door, and the father went to park the car while the rest of the family made their way up to the new rooms, where they found the dolls sitting on the bed as if it were waiting for them. When this story began, I assured you it was true, and it is a true story. That little girl was my daughter and the terrible, terrible appl prankster who kept putting the doll back was me. Coming up next, demonic dolls. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant, hairy creature park Ape Park Mass in Larkness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 4: Get the creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 3: Monster doll.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Monster Talk.
Speaker 6: I'm Karen Stolsner and I'm Blake Smith.
Speaker 2: Demonic dolls, devil dolls, monster dolls, creepy dolls. Call them what you want, but the history of dolls that people have seen is monstrous, is quite long and full of frightening stories of the type that will make your hair stand up on ann and give you goose flesh. I'm quite fond of the episodes of Twilight Zone that features scary dolls, or of night gallery movies like Child's Play and the movie Magic Fit thiss Motif as well, but many of these tales aren't considered pure fiction. The self proclaimed demonologists Ed and Lorraine war l'urn keep an allegedly cursed raggedy ann doll called Annabelle in their home museum and claim that the doll has led to deaths. Voodoo dolls are alleged to help enable magic spells the heck some heads, while seeming to be mundane in origin, and somehow are alleged to have inspired lycanthropic activity. But perhaps no alleged the evil doll is more famous than Robert the Doll. There are links to some of the stories about Robert in our show notes at monster talk dot org, and there have been books and movies made about him as well. Countless TV shows have shown the doll, and legends gather around Robert like spiderwebs in an attic corner. As you might guess, I'm a fan of other podcasts, and the very popular show called Lore covered Robert in episode fifteen.
Speaker 6: I enjoy Lore.
Speaker 2: Although the host, Aaron Mankey, has different purposes in mind for his show than I do, he does tell a good story and I think that that episode gives you a good feel for what people might be thinking when they go to see Robert the Doll for the first time. A link to that episode of Laws in our show notes at monster talk dot org, along with other fascinating connections. Let's get to our interview now, but stick around because I want to do a little bit more talking about Robert after we've heard from his curator, doctor Corey Convertito, Mors tutor.
Speaker 5: Doctor Corey Confortito has a PhD in maritime history, focusing on the eighteenth century British naval history. Corey is the curator of the Key West Art and Historical Society, which oversees the Fort East Martello Museum, which is the home of Robert the Dole. So welcome to the show, Corey.
Speaker 7: Thank you great to be here.
Speaker 6: I bet this time of the year you get a lot of questions about.
Speaker 4: Robert I see all year along we get questions about Robert. I mean this time of year, Yeah, with Halloween, and it's also his birthday this month, so I think that, oh how old is?
Speaker 7: That adds to it. He's one hundred and twelve, one hundred and twelve.
Speaker 5: I heard that he received a letter from George Bush when he turned one hundred. Is that true?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: He did, wow, both President Bush and then he also got one. I think it was the year or two leader when Jeb Bush was governor of Florida, he got one for his birthday as well.
Speaker 5: Well, famous guy.
Speaker 2: Well, they probably thought they were writing Bob Dole. Could you tell us the story of Robert the doll and why he's so famous?
Speaker 7: I suppose.
Speaker 4: I guess we can start with what he is, and then I guess how he came to be here. Robert is a Steife doll. It's a German doll company that's been around. I think they were established a little bit earlier than Robert was fabricated.
Speaker 7: I'm they're the famous.
Speaker 4: They've made the first Teddy bear for Teddy Roosevelt, so they're they're quite well known and their production like their dolls are and bears are quite valuable, so he was made and brought to There was a family that lived in Key West called the Auto family. They were a multi generational family that lived on the island and they were of Prussian descent and stife being in present day Germany, there's the connection between the family and.
Speaker 7: The area where Robert was made.
Speaker 4: And so a family member of the Auto family actually bought the doll four of the young boy named Robert Eugene Otto, who lived in Key West and his dad was a doctor and his grandparents owned a pharmacy here, so they were quite prominent family in town. They were very well off family, and their young son came to have this doll in nineteen oh four, and the doll and the boy were inseparable for years.
Speaker 7: You know, the doll is quite large.
Speaker 4: It was life sized, but putten close to Robert Eugene out of the living boy size when he received him, and they were just really inseparable. The family remembers Robert bringing the doll around with him, taking him where he went, talking to him, and the story goes that Robert the boy would blame Robert the doll for things that Robert the boy had done wrong, and so this transference possibly created some kind of energy around the doll. And so people, uh, you know, believe that Robert is plenty of things either, you know, whatever, their base has their interpretations of Robert. But this energy that was projected onto the doll, I think that's really the base of the story of how Robert got to Key West. And I'm sure you have follow up questions, yes, yeah, for that, So I don't want to I don't want to give.
Speaker 7: Away everything right right now.
Speaker 5: So what are some of the odd events that have surrounded the doll?
Speaker 2: And maybe could if you don't mind, can we do like what kind of odd events happened while Robert had the doll and then and then maybe split that into before and after Robert along in.
Speaker 4: The picture the boy started going by Jene, so that might add some clarity to whatever we I guess discussed From from now forward, I'll just call him. The boy will be Gene and the doll will be Robert. So that will be that will hopefully listening things usual, right, you know, his family was and I think that's a very it's a different time when when obviously Gene was a little boy. So I'm not sure that any of the stories when, like the initial stories about the doll a sign from the odd relationship that people felt that Gene and Robert had. I don't think there's many stories like early on about goings on in the house. Most of the things start coming out later on in life, and I think that is a time frame issue when people just didn't really divulge their personal business and talk about things like this, especially really early twentieth century. So a lot of the stories about Robert and the problems that people felt that Robert was causing kind of came out. I'd say probably in like nineteen twenties. People would say they would hear noises in the house and they would hear Jane talk to the doll, but they would hear in a different voice the doll answer him. That's usually what the family remembers the most about the early relationship that and Robert had. Later on, Jane moved away, moved to France to study art. He was a really talented artist wanted to follow this as his life's passion. Went to France, studied art and stayed away for a while because he met what was to be his future wife, and so he returned as an adult. He'd left a teenager late or early twenties and then had come back and had been married. So the situation, I think it kind of escalated more once Eugene returned to Key West with his wife and took possession of the house, and that's when they started getting a little bit more pronounced. I think neighbors took notice, and obviously with other people non family members.
Speaker 7: Living in the house, i e.
Speaker 4: Jean's wife, I think that that sort of prompted a little bit more hubbub about the relationship and potentially what was going on. A lot of it was two different voices coming from a room that only contained.
Speaker 7: Eugene and Robert, So that.
Speaker 4: I think was one of their big concerns, and that was something that circulated around Key West. The most people would be at the house and they would say they would hear footsteps in rooms that were said to be vacant. Some people said they would see Robert in one window in the house and in a different window, you know, within a couple of minutes, and nobody was in the room. So how would he have moved if nobody was there? So possibly just on his own. So I think that was a lot of the strange goings on in the house.
Speaker 2: So was there malice do you think in the activities at that point or was it just bizarre.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think it's more bizarre, and I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean I should probably just say that, you know, I try to learn about and obviously I'm for what I do. I look for facts for things and trying to understand, well, being a story and we kind of rely on that. So there's a lot of speculation, a lot of stories, and you can find it, you know, so many things on the internet about Robert and these you know, it goes from das filed to completely you know, insane what you can find out there about him and what people have written and said that they've experienced or they heard this happened. And there's lots of different stories about how he was created. And I think that if you dial back to what Robert really is and where he was from, I meaner stories about him being possessed or having voodoo because he was made by a Behamian servant working for the Auto family. Well, like I know that's not true because he is a stife doll. We've had We've had multiple discussions with Stife's company historians that have validated that Robert is part of a series that was done in the year that he was purchased for Eugene Auto. So, you know, once you kind of remove those voodoo stories, a lot of the more crazy antics, I think also become removed as well, because it's the same folks and the same bits of information that are basing it on voodoo have like the more Robert, you know, sets things on fire.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, we've.
Speaker 4: Never found anything to substantiate any of that. Nobody's ever called and complained that Robert has set their house on fire or people. I mean one story was a person was set on fire by Robert and they had to run to the ocean and jump in to to put themselves out. I mean, it's it's borders on a little insanity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, straw men typically avoid fire. I don't know what he's stuffed with, but you know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, usually they do. Well that's interesting.
Speaker 4: You know, it really depends, I think, on what version of the story you're listening to and what has actually.
Speaker 7: Been complained about.
Speaker 4: I mean a lot of people complain about him, and there's definitely people that lived in Key West that have been interviewed that felt uncomfortable in the house, felt unco that felt a very uncomfortable spirit. What that is attributed to? I mean, obviously to Robert, yes, but what exactly it is? I mean, is it is it malice? Is it just a bit of bizarre behavior? Is it a child impish like behavior to do mischief? You know, people have their own theories, and it's you know, I think it I think it probably dials back from malice, specifically because they seem to be more outrageous stories that nobody can actually substantiate.
Speaker 7: So we we kind of the museum likes.
Speaker 4: To say, or we we think he has. There's obviously an energy about him. That's that's an absolute. What that energy is and how it affects different people, I think it depends on people's attitudes toward Robert, how they treat him, and then what response they get from him varies because some people have a very good experience with them. Some people have horrible experiences and say, you know, terrible things happen as soon as they leave him. So it's you know, I think it's all in his interpretation of the encounter and the experience.
Speaker 5: Well, it's very interesting to hear that Robert was part of a series. I wonder if there are other Robert the dolls in existence somewhere else.
Speaker 7: Well, there are there is one.
Speaker 4: Basically what he was was he was made for Stife. They made smaller versions of Robert. But I mean Robert wasn't made as a Robert. He was made as a court gesture. That's the series was very circus like court jestery. He would originally had on something similar to a court gesture with a multi colored almost Harlequin looked to him Rosy Cheeks had on. There was another one that the Stife company historian came across. He Robert would have been a window decoration alongside other dolls of the same size. They were just meant as a window display, and then Stife was selling much smaller versions for sale.
Speaker 7: So we think in the study historian has kind of led us.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's where we've learned a lot about the origins of the doll. We think that because the family was very well off, and because it was meant for a birthday present, that either of the series was ending and they were going to change out the window display, that those dolls became available or somebody came in and just offered a lot of money for the doll because they wanted to bring it back.
Speaker 7: So there are other dolls, not very many of that size.
Speaker 4: Most of them are much smaller, and by appearance, he honestly wouldn't recognize them. Robert's face has faded quite a bit over the years, so like he's lost his rosy cheeks, and he would have had color like not I want to say lipstick because it seems not nice to say, but he would have had some color in his lips where he doesn't now, So a lot.
Speaker 7: Of that stuff has faded away.
Speaker 4: But he would have been a court gesture stroke harlequin.
Speaker 5: That's interesting because a lot of people think that he's a sailah from the outfit what's left of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that that is an outfit that Eugene had to have put on him, and we think that that was probably Eugene's own clothing from one he was younger.
Speaker 7: Is that big?
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, he's the size of before he's the size of a four year old child. I mean he's almost four feet tall. Yeah, that's not that's not an original costume for him. That would have been. We think it was probably Gene Autos. There's a picture that his Jeene's sister had el Spith I think her name is of Gene in a sailor suit and it's it's he's kind of far in the distance, So we've tried to make it looks very very similar.
Speaker 7: In appearance.
Speaker 4: So we think that was probably at one point Jeane's clothing that then he put on the doll.
Speaker 2: I am I'm just delighted that you're sort of pop the balloon of some of these stories right off the bat, because that's kind of where our show tends to skew. But from a historical perspective, I'm wondering these stories themselves. Are they mostly from an oral tradition or is there actually written testimony of anyone who saw something strange, newspaper stories or any like. What historical documentation do you have for this sort of attitude that there was something bizarre about the doll or the relationship that Robert what Eugene had with the doll.
Speaker 7: Some people are still alive.
Speaker 4: I mean, Gene only died in the seventies, so there are still a lot of folks who you know, lived here, very long standing families in this town. I mean in fact, the next stort of the neighbor that lived across the street from the Autos. They i mean they've owned that house for you know, forty fifty years. I mean they remember Anne still being alive and living there. I mean the guy across the street was very good friends with Anne, who was Jean's wife, so they remember them very vividly. I mean he's very elderly now, but there's I mean, there's always been an interest in Robert, and especially when he came to the museum in the nineties, I think people started digging around for information. I mean, there's the people that purchased gene Auto's house after he passed away and left the premises they inherited the doll because the doll was still in the house and did not take the doll with her.
Speaker 7: When she moved.
Speaker 4: And the son of the people that purchased the house is still alive, and I mean he remembers things, so you know, while he doesn't remember Jane specifically, he lived in the same house with Robert for a time before his mother donated the doll to the museum, so he felt something.
Speaker 7: So you know, we do.
Speaker 4: Have we have people that we can probe for information on Robert, their experiences Robert, what they remember. I mean, of course there was some newspaper, but that was later on after Jean died. At people always thought him to be an odd duck, and when he died, I think a lot of people sort of becoming more vocal about how bizarre they felt his behavior was. You know, he moved in pretty influential circles because his family had money, but also because he was a very accomplished artist. And Anne was actually a concert pianist. I think she you know, she played in New York and they wrote music together, so they were they moved in quite affluent circles, and so you know, you don't find that people are very vocal about the affluent.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, it's only after they died they start making comments because of course they don't want to fall out of favor with their friends who have money, so they would never you know, typically say something.
Speaker 7: Negative.
Speaker 4: So you know, you're finding a lot of these stories later on, after Gene died and the house changed hands and you know, Robert was moving into you know, in with a different family and then ultimately with the museum. So that's when a lot of this comes out, but a lot of people do remember and they're still alive.
Speaker 5: Episode, is there a book in the works at all, because it sounds like it would be interesting while these people are still alive to get their stories, and too, because you have certainly a lot more information than you can find online. A lot of it seems to be just folklore and myth.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: David Sloane, who run the Ghost Tour a QS, he actually started the original Ghost Hour because QS is I guess, by all intents and purposes, considered quite haunted.
Speaker 7: There's quite a lot of houses there was.
Speaker 4: You know, with belts of yellow fever, so we had huge losses of life at times. So David Sloane actually started a ghost tour company down here. I would say, well, I don't even know any did that probably the mid nineties. And David always had some affinity for Robert. He was when he Robert Gart donated to the museum. David was very inted in finding out a lot about the doll and has actually I think it's been about two years the book's been out now. David wrote a book. We gave him access to a lot of our archival material and he did the leg works. The museum is just we're a small museum. We don't have the manpower to do that. And David and I've known each other for years, so it made sense for David to take the lead on that to find things. So he spent you know, days at the library contacting family members, contacting folks who would have remembered Jane and Anne living down here, and interviewing people and asking for photographs. So David did a lot of leg work, and David did put out a book must be almost two years ago now that David so he did, and it's not something the museum could have undertaken.
Speaker 7: So we were very happy and we gave it.
Speaker 4: Like I said, we gave him access to anything that we had to make sure that the book was as thorough as possible.
Speaker 6: We'll put a link in the show notes.
Speaker 2: I know people who actually are quite afraid of Robert are very deferential to him, even from Afar, And I wonder there's this habit of sending letters of apology or something like that is can you explain that or talk about that or what's that about?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 4: You know, again, I think this goes back to people's experiences and everybody who interacts with Robert, whether it's you know, some people don't even interact with him in perse and some people feel that they've interacted with him online by learning his story or watching videos on YouTube or wherever they can find them. And each person obviously has a very different experience with Robert, and they whatever it is, the Robert I suppose, I mean, I don't know. This is something that's been long standing. Even before I was at the museum. Apology letters started filtering in from folks who had visited and felt that they had done something incorrect to Robert and needed to apologize to something because they were experiencing a string of bad luck, you know, and that varied in the degree. I mean, sometimes it was just as simple.
Speaker 7: As our flights were delayed when we were leaving in Key West to Okay.
Speaker 4: We came home from Key West and we found like a dead bat in our washing machine, you know, just weird things, and so we get letters, emails, people contact him, honestly, I mean, Robert has his own Facebook page and his own Twitter page, So people contact him anyway that they can, from all over the world and just apologize or want to know why they're having bad luck. Because they just watched a video or felt that they were very respectful to Robert when they visited, but they still are having these horrible things happened to them and want Robert to lift whatever it is, whatever negative energy surrounding these people. So we get all sorts of letters and I mean full call people call.
Speaker 7: You know, it's it's incredible.
Speaker 5: Isn't there a particular protocol that some people believe in for taking photographs?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there is, and people are meant to ask permission of Robert to take his photo.
Speaker 7: He doesn't.
Speaker 4: He's classically not enjoyed his photo being taken. He has really messed with people's cameras. The Travel Channel was down and they actually their main camera that they brought with them broke, so they had to use their backup camera to film them mysteries at the museum. I think it was had come down and done it from the Travel Channel, and you know, their camera was messed ups, and these are professional people that know how to operate their whipment.
Speaker 7: So they actually.
Speaker 4: All sent apology letters to Robert after they left because they they were completely convinced that Robert had done something to their equipment.
Speaker 2: So it sounds like Robert is them an apology.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure that's how it works. It make its the other way around.
Speaker 2: Can you apologize via Twitter or does it strictly have to be a letter or how does that work?
Speaker 8: Mean?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, in this day and age, I think Robert has to be slightly adaptable to people's apologies.
Speaker 7: And like I said, sometimes it comes from people that I have never even met him.
Speaker 4: I mean, he has a woman in Indonesia who believes that Robert is going to come kill her and her family and sends things privately, and that's not something the museum would necessarily share, like to her letters or not. You know, we try to be selective with what we put out there because I think people feel that they are really writing to Robert. I didn't put anything out, you know, and on on the internet. It's not necessarily something that they would like because it's a private letter to an entity. And so, you know, we we have this person Indonesia who is completely apparently convinced, and so she's she emails him at least three or four times a day and has done for gosh, the last five or six months, and then actually went to the museum social media page started emailing to the point that you know, the museum staff who checks the social media said.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, you know, do we need to be.
Speaker 4: Concerned about this because of the town And she's never met him, She's never she's never left Indonesia, so I mean he's very far reaching. So he gets messages from people who I don't have access or don't have the ability. I mean, there's no way that she can write this many letters per day and actually post them. So, you know, the museum is a actable to how he receives any kind of correspondence right here. He's got a Facebook page too, doesn't he He does, He's got his own Yeah, he does, well, he does.
Speaker 6: It's fortunate.
Speaker 2: I guess they don't have an unlike button, right, so, I mean, no one can offend him too much on Facebook.
Speaker 5: Got an angry button, I.
Speaker 7: Guess, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, some some people say things that they don't believe in him on his Facebook page, and you know, Robert typically doesn't have to respond to any of that because anybody.
Speaker 7: Else who's very supportive of.
Speaker 4: Robert and and follows him will just take up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, he does.
Speaker 4: He really does people people just you know, they gravitate toward him, good and good and bad.
Speaker 2: So, so Robert has been in the museum a while now, and then he was on that TV show with Zach Baggin's.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so what was that like?
Speaker 7: Interesting?
Speaker 6: Okay, interesting?
Speaker 7: Robert. Robert never left Florida after he arrived.
Speaker 4: We cannot find any documentation that once Jean's family members brought Robert to Florida, that Robert has ever left the state of Florida since. And so Travel Channel reached out to us asking if we would be keen on this bringing Robert to this program. And you know, we were obviously very apprehensive about doing that because you know, he's he's fragile, and you know from the angle that I have to come at it.
Speaker 7: I'm the curator.
Speaker 4: I have to make sure that if objects are moving around, that they are very well protected, that they're safe to do that that they're in such a fragile condition, you know. Never mind that he's in a very human environment and I'm taking him to a very dry environment of Las Vegas. That we're not compromising a museum artifact because I know we all I mean and all of us are guilty of it. Even at the museum, we refer to Robert as a human, you know, we call him him. We don't call it it, but you know, we I have to have some realization that Robert actually is a museum artifact and so he has to be treated as such.
Speaker 7: So that was our big concern. Uh.
Speaker 4: And the Travel Channel people actually were super about it. And you know, I'm not sure, uh, you know, I know they of course they have an angle about what they were wanting to portray Robert as and what we were hoping I guess what they were hoping to to get their viewership to believe about him. And you know, it was it was an interesting It was an interesting experience. I'm sure we get a lot of pr traction out of it for the museum and for Robert. So, I mean, we saw his Facebook numbers jump and people were paying a lot more attention and people, I mean people were calling the museum to tell us how upset because they thought, you know, they just saw Robert in Las Vegas and they just thought with the museum had sold him, or the museum had our museum had moved him to Vegas permanently.
Speaker 7: And we got some really.
Speaker 4: Rude correspondence from people in phone calls saying.
Speaker 7: How dare we you know, how how dare we move him to Vegas?
Speaker 4: And how he's meant to be in Key West and how we're all going to be cursed because of it. So it was really I found that probably more fascinating than anything, were people's response to Robert leaving key West, even if it was only temporary.
Speaker 5: He was going to get his own Vegas act.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, and whatever's cursed in Vegas stays in Vegas, so that's all good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, Well, we made sure a lot of it hit his social media pages.
Speaker 7: I actually got him.
Speaker 4: We took him because I mean he's huge, to be fair, you know, he's the size of a child, so we were uh we took him into one of the casinos and asked if we can actually put him at a slot machine and take his photo nice and uh yeah, because you know, when in Vegas he might as well.
Speaker 7: Uh. And it was it was absolutely insane people.
Speaker 4: I had to go talk to the pit boss about it, and we had security around us because you know, the guy said, you have a whate because he traveled in a body bag effectively, so he could I mean really, he was in a big suit bag because we couldn't take the chance of anybody spilling anything on him. So we walked into the casino with, you know, holding like a kid a body bag, and.
Speaker 7: So people obviously staring at you, and they're going, what is going on?
Speaker 6: How did he? How did he do? Did he do?
Speaker 7: No, he wasn't allowed to play, that was the rule. We could only take a photo.
Speaker 4: Well, he's quite over age, I think because he wasn't God forbid, you know, he won.
Speaker 7: And he's I guess, I guess the I R S probably.
Speaker 4: Couldn't come after him for for his winnings their share of the winnings. So they said, just you know, a couple of photos, and the pit boss had to stand behind us, and we had security flanking us to make sure that nobody came up to us, and we didn't actually do anything.
Speaker 7: That we I mean, you know, who knows what we're up to? Me what a great story.
Speaker 4: Sure, I'm carrying han to dollar around and he's playing slot machines. I mean, we could have that could have been some kind of ridiculous story to do something else that.
Speaker 7: We were heavily guarded when we were there.
Speaker 5: So you're talking about the agendas of these TV shows and the angles that they take. Do you feel like there's a lot of pressure for you guys there at the museum to play up the supernatural aspects of Robert's story.
Speaker 7: I think so.
Speaker 4: I think so, and you know, and of course we have to be very conscientious of not putting people off because you know, it's we're the museum has to deal in fact. But we also don't want to discourage people feeling that the way, you know, the way that they would naturally feel.
Speaker 7: So, you know, we we do not.
Speaker 4: Say for anybody like whatever our personal beliefs are, whether or not. I mean, there's staff members who really believe in Robert and talk to him all the time they're in the museum, and there are staff members that just say, you know, really, this is you.
Speaker 7: Know, it's it's a doll.
Speaker 4: So, you know, we we can't let our personal beliefs come into that and what the museum allows out there.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know, my take on it is.
Speaker 4: There's there has to be something to it because all these people can't be wrong. I mean, he's contacted by so many individuals talking about so many things, and how he affects so many people's lives, Like who is the museum to say yes or no that you're right or wrong? So the museum has to be very ambiguous. But we certainly will not make up something just to to follow through with an agenda, let's say, for a program like that. I mean, We've been contacted by a lot of programs. I don't want to single them out like they're they're they're the only ones. I mean, you know, he's been to paranormal uh conference, and you know, I know that they were some people there were very much trying to push something, and then the other people were just like, Okay, I'm just curious and I want to learn something. So we just try to be very middle of the road and let people make their own decisions.
Speaker 5: I'm sure it can be a good gateway to history in many ways too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: Would people still come see Robert if Eugene had just been an adult with an attachment to a doll? I mean, like if he had a mundane doll history, except that his owner had been peculiar without the supernatural elements.
Speaker 7: I know, who knows.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the fascination is for people I can't say. I mean, some people are attracted to the Roberts story sort of the Eugene story more because I don't know if it's something that they can identify with. I don't know if it's like a lonely little boy thing that people you know growing up and you have an attachment to, you know, other people or objects. So some people find the fascination and the hatchment and not necessarily Robert, where other people are just fascinated by the supernatural and by Robert and.
Speaker 7: You know who. I don't know. I don't know what people come in.
Speaker 4: People come to the museum because specifically because they don't believe in Robert and they just want to prove something that nothing will happen to them. I see, so you know who knew. I can't really say whether or not people would still come. I think that they would because they do now for all sorts of reasons. So if the circumstance changed but Robert was still on display, yeah, of course people would probably come see him because they still have their own justifications for that and reasonings to visit Robert.
Speaker 6: This is kind of not really a follow up, but I just thought of it.
Speaker 2: I want to ask, is, is anyone who has been interviewed about what they've heard with Robert and Eugene talking.
Speaker 6: To each other?
Speaker 2: Did they describe the voice that they heard?
Speaker 6: Did?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm just curious whether was the voice of you know how sometimes kids, you know, or even like almost like a ventriloquism, or was it a completely different alien you know, I don't mean like from another planet. I mean, alien is not the voice of Eugene.
Speaker 6: Does that make sense?
Speaker 7: Yeah? It does. I don't know.
Speaker 4: David Sloan again, who's the one who authored the book on Robert, carried out those interviews. I sat in on a couple of them, and he taped them, so he shared some of those with me. I don't remember if it was mentioned. I don't remember personally, and I know he interviewed people that heard either Robert talking or Eugene throwing his voice, whichever the case is, that you know you believe, I don't remember. David Is would be a better person to ask for that. I'm not sure what the voice would have sounded like. I mean, for the fact that people would follow up to say that they thought there were two people in the room. My gut instinct is that the voice was quite different, because wouldn't you just think it was Eugene talking to himself if the voice was similar.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And certainly when these stories are passed on, they become embellished and it's very difficult to know what really happened.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 5: So you were talking about Eugene's art and how accomplished and well known he was, and is do you actually have any of his artworks on display in the museum.
Speaker 7: We don't. We own some of his artwork, we don't have it on display.
Speaker 4: Some of the pieces it's we think it's probably it's probably best security wise that they're not because they're smaller and people are I mean, of course whenever we would never accuse me. But you know, we certainly are more cautious with Eugene's artwork because of its size and because of the information circulating around about Robert, and if somebody had an attachment to Robert, which they do, I mean, he gets love letters and presents and all sorts of things. So the museum feels that it's probably for the best that we don't leave original artwork out because the museum is busy, but it's not fully I mean it's supervised, but it's not like we don't have security guards in that room twenty four hours a day.
Speaker 2: I think we'd actually like to talk a little bit about the museum itself too. But I have one more sort of Robert question, which is, I've heard that Chucky from Child's Play was based on Robert.
Speaker 6: Do you know if there's any truth for that?
Speaker 4: No, absolutely, not even that the I don't remember the director's name of the film. I mean he even came up, because he's obviously been asked this question over and over again. He said no, awesome, that's really interesting, he said no. And I know David tried to follow up with him who's writing the book, because that's something that David and I have like a real bugbear about is And I understand. I get it because they're dolls and they have owners, and you know, Chucky killed people and Robert, but I understand it being based on something. But even the movies directors come out and said, no, there's no basis for that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know it's out. I mean it's everywhere.
Speaker 4: I mean people, it is. It is, and there's you know, the museum says it isn't. But you know, there's there's plenty of other websites that do.
Speaker 5: So, Okay, well, we wanted to ask you a bit more about the museum. So what kind of work does curating a museum entail.
Speaker 4: I'm responsible for all the objects in our collection and writing all of the didactic information that gets put out there, as well as doing the displays, so kind of kind of a lot, kind of it keeps me extremely busy. So that's that's kind of my job in nutshell and doing all sorts of dealing with inquiries and it's it's fascinating work.
Speaker 7: I mean, Robert is one.
Speaker 4: Of you know, we've we probably have at least thirty thousand objects in the collection, so he's one of so he's uh, I mean, he's a big responsibility because he's.
Speaker 7: One of our more well known objects.
Speaker 4: So he does get we have a bias toward him because of course, you know, he is he is more special than some of the other ones. He is pretty special, so we do a bias. But that's that's that's my job.
Speaker 7: Usually.
Speaker 2: What sort of other objects do you have in the museum, What what notable historical type things, what do you like to highlight besides.
Speaker 4: Robert Well, so Robert is in forty Smartella Museum. The historical society that I work for, actually we have three museums, so Robert is at the fort. There are we tend to each one has its own identity. Each of the museum sites has its own identity. We run the lighthouse as well, so that has a completely separate identity and attracts a completely different set of visitors. And then we operate another museum that's the Museum of Art and History of Key West. So there's a little bit of crossover between the Fort and the Museum of Art and History. So each one we try to highlight different objects in each place because let's say, for instance, the lighthouse attracts people that are more interested in military history usually or nautical history, or you know, people just love lighthouses.
Speaker 7: So they go there.
Speaker 4: A lot of visitors to the fort are really interested in Robert. I mean he is one of the big drives for people to go to the fore. I mean there's a lot of other objects there, and that's what we tend to find with visitors. They'll come for Robert and they learn so much more because we tried to talk about the history of Key West in there in that museum, we talk about all the different industries. The museum itself is a Civil War era fort that was used through the Civil War. It was used through the Spanish American War.
Speaker 7: They used it during World War one and two.
Speaker 4: They also because Key West is the closest to Cuba, when there was the Cuban Missile crisis, that actually that fort is the closest building to or one of the closest buildings to Cuba. So when Kennedy actually came to Key westerning the Cuban missile crisis, you know, there was a lot going on at the fort militarily. So people liked that fort in particular because of its military.
Speaker 7: Draw So we highlight a lot of that history.
Speaker 4: What that also means is it when you have a military history, especially civil war and especially before disease prevention and disease control was much more mainstream, a lot of the soldiers that were stationed in Key West, you know, died because we're in a very tropical environment. Yellow fever outbreaks happened a lot, and they would quarantine at the fort. So I think there's always been this idea of death and a little bit of a darkness surrounding it. And so Robert was a natural fit for the fort when he was donated, because I kind of had that connotation anyway, and I think a lot of it is because the history and history you're looking in the past, it's gone, so it has that sort of error of not being here anymore, because it's like industries that are defunct, so you have I think that kind of that same mindset.
Speaker 7: So Robert was a natural fit to be out there. And then other objects started filtering in.
Speaker 4: I mean, once you have, I guess, one haunted object, everybody calls you to donate or talk to you about other objects.
Speaker 7: Actually, before Robert was there, we had.
Speaker 4: A donation I think it was in the fifties, maybe early nineteen sixties of a horse drawn hearse from the funeral pollar down here, one of them down here. The funeral director donated it because they obviously moved into a vehicle for their funeral processions and they had this horse drawn hearse that had carried you know, god who knows how many bodies, and that was donated to us in the sixties. So we've always had that as an organization, and that's always been on display.
Speaker 7: Then we had Robert. Then there was a.
Speaker 4: Very really creepy, horrible story about a guy that stole a woman out of the Keys Cemetery. The marker because there was no headstone per se, because it was an entire above ground mausoleum.
Speaker 7: Built for her.
Speaker 4: There was a marble sign that had her name on it and you know, her birth date and her death date, and one that the mausoleum exploded. Somebody salvaged this plaque, this sign, marble stone sign, and the museum actually has it.
Speaker 7: They donated it to the museum. So I'm curious.
Speaker 5: Is anyone ever offered to buy Robert.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, We've had phone calls from people offering a you know, insane amounts of money for you know, truthful or not.
Speaker 7: Who knows. I I don't know.
Speaker 4: I usually get lucky enough to field these phone calls. And yeah, I mean, you know, a million, a billion dollars. Okay, she's not for sale. Yeah, he's not for sale as a museum objects. You know, we don't, we're not in the habit of selling museum objects. We had a woman call saying that.
Speaker 7: She was she was the.
Speaker 4: I don't know, the somehow related. Oh, she was Eugene auto's daughter and she wanted the doll and I said, okay, you know, obviously I'll entertain the phone conversation. So I said, oh, okay, so what are you proposing? And she said a whole bunch of numbers, and I just said, well, you know, they didn't have children, so I don't.
Speaker 7: Know how you know you're possibly the daughter if they.
Speaker 4: Didn't have children. And so then she said something really nasty to me on the phone, told me I would be cursed and hung up on. So, you know, we get all we get all sorts. I mean, I don't think we've ever had a legitimate offer for Robert that people can follow through with, but we get a lot of phone calls allegedly offering to purchase him.
Speaker 2: Well, if we go to Key West and want to see the museum, I mean you said there's more than you've actually got three locations, but can you buy like one pass and it covers all three or how does that work?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah you can.
Speaker 5: Great, Okay, go to get out there someday.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: I've always wanted to go down there, and there seems like there's a lot of things to see, so that sounds neat yeah, and there's a beach too, apparently I had If you haven't heard that, that's a just one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's tough. It's tough living here.
Speaker 5: Is there that interesting cemetery as well? With all of the the witty epitaphs and some strange music.
Speaker 4: Us Keys cemetery is I think it's one of the most underrated.
Speaker 7: Things to do down here.
Speaker 4: You know, you go to places like New Orleans and they have special tours all the time for and people are just so engaged with the cemeteries, and here they do as good a job as they can because it's still an operational cemetery. Uh so they you know, they can't do like regular tours, and they just encourage people to go through on their own.
Speaker 7: And they have.
Speaker 4: Wonderful maps online, so they don't want to, you know, disrupt services or tell people, you know, run tours while families are grieving, so you know, they encourage you to do it on your own. And I don't know that enough people do that. I mean, there's some really hilarious headstones, there's some really interesting people that are that are buried here, and you have I think one of the more fascinating aspects of it is, and it kind of I think speaks to Key West in general historically. Is you know, you've got everybody's in one cemetery, so you've you know, you have the Jewish population, of the Catholic population, you have blacks, you have white too, Hispanics. I mean, they're all buried in and amongst each other. So it's a really neat I think, cultural comment. But also I think it gives you a really good idea of who lived here in a lot of the history in qs and some of the humor that goes with it. I mean, somebody has their pet deer. Actually, the Auto family has their deer buried with them.
Speaker 7: They had a pet deer.
Speaker 4: And they had you know, somebody has on a woman wrote like a see I told you I was sick on her headstone.
Speaker 7: So there's lots of little funny.
Speaker 6: That's really funny. But you know, Turky, I think it's kind.
Speaker 2: Of lamentable that to some degree, a lot of these ghosting TV shows seem to have played up the idea of, you know, haunted graveyards and cemeteries. I think historically there are places where you were member of the people, and it's historical you remember the history of the people.
Speaker 6: People you might not know.
Speaker 2: You might stop and see something interesting and like want to find out more about that person who did this thing or who was remembered for this thing, or or at least think about them right in the context that they had and the you know, all the other things that come with that, which you know, the brevity of life and so on. But they're underrated. They're underrated. I think our listeners probably like them, but you know, well, I.
Speaker 5: Think a lot of them were. Historically, you treated it as parks and the people would go there and have lunch, and so they didn't quite have the stigma that they often have today. Corey, we have a question that we like to ask all of our guests, so our final question, and that is what's your favorite monster.
Speaker 7: I don't know, there's just so many.
Speaker 4: To pick from. I would say, I don't know. I'm kind of since I'm a historian. I think I'm a little old school, and I would just stick to like a good classic like Frankenstein.
Speaker 6: It's nice, can't go wrong.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, I think I'm just you know, like, I'd like.
Speaker 7: To keep it simple.
Speaker 5: I think we've had before, so that's good.
Speaker 2: Well, I think someone will throw something at their iPod if I don't say, well, technically Frankenstein was not the monster, but you know, it depends on how you look at it, and certainly within the Hammer films and their interpretation of it, the doctor Frankenstin did become the monster in many ways. But I actually just came back from watching young Young Frankenston on a special one night big screen presentation last night. I just the whole idea of reanimating the dead. It ties in nicely with this episode anyway. Definitely, I think it's a great choice.
Speaker 7: Yeah, excellent.
Speaker 5: Thanks, but yeah, thank you so much for coming on the show. We've been talking about wanting to do a rob at the Doll Show for years now, so we're very very happy and we're really excited about this one.
Speaker 2: And thank you so much for your work in preserving history and making it available to people.
Speaker 6: That's really important.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank you. It's that's really what we do it for.
Speaker 4: You know, working for a nonprofits not the most glorious, so you know, it's things and just getting out there and getting people to learn really makes the job so much more rewarding.
Speaker 6: Monstertle, you've been listening to Monster Talk. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 2: You just heard an interview with doctor Corey Covertito about Robert the Doll in his Strange History. As you heard, there's a particular atmosphere surrounding Robert in his exhibit at Key West. Corey called it an energy. But I want to talk a little bit about that idea. In his book The Science of Superstition, psychology professor Bruce Hood tells about a fascinating experiment in which people were asked to try on a sweater. It's a simple experimental idea. Would people be willing to try on a clean sweater from a stranger? Most people wouldn't mind.
Speaker 6: But when Bruce.
Speaker 2: Tells them the sweater belonged to a notorious serial killer, Suddenly few people are willing to touch the sweater.
Speaker 6: Why.
Speaker 2: It's because we have an idea of tainted items, the things we experience, even the way we rate the quality of food and drink. It's heavily influenced by expectation and mood and a number of complicated feelings beyond the immediate visceral act of experiencing whatever it is.
Speaker 6: We're trying.
Speaker 2: A big idea in the study of superstition is that people attribute agency to particular patterns of events and sensations. Superstitions come from the very powerful effect of our brain finding patterns and matching them to a particular cause. If you wear green socks and your team winds, and then you wear green socks again later and your team wins.
Speaker 6: It's the socks.
Speaker 2: It couldn't be the skill of the players or the random variations that happened during a game. No, clearly, your footwear choices are really good siding factor of what else could explain it? Okay, that's a silly example, but that's the kind of stuff the superstition's made of. There's a mental effect called confirmation bias, which comes up again and again when we research why people believe bizarre and unlikely things. Confirmation bias is a tendency to see things which confirm to your belief and to ignore things which don't match the pattern.
Speaker 6: If you've ever.
Speaker 2: Lived with someone who frequently left the seat up on the toilet, you might find yourself thinking, he always leaves the seat up, Yet what if sometimes he doesn't? Would you notice? Why would you? That's not the pattern you're looking for. Attribution is a big challenge in researching the paranormal. When something peculiar happens, was it caused by aliens? Was it a ghost? Could it have been demons? Did anything even really happen? If something did happen, was it really peculiar? This whole problem of attribution, Who are what caused that strange event or that unusual feeling is something to consider very closely when thinking about Robert the Doll. And Another important psychological effect is called priming, the setting of expectations, whether consciously or unconsciously, before an encounter takes place. Just like listening to creepy music and seeing other scary trailers primes you for an experience at all horror film. Imagine hearing Legends and Laura surrounding this doll Robert before finally coming to see him on display. Robert isn't just a dolly museum, and he's not just adorned with a sailor outfit and filled with straw. Robert is decorated with thousands of stories in more than a century of lore. He's stuffed with meaning.
Speaker 6: As much as he's stuffed with straw.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's surprising that people find Robert frightening. But I hope listening to these ideas and perhaps reading some of the material I've linked to, will help you see that there are many very plausible reasons to be skeptical of Robert's allege's supernatural powers. No disrespect intended to Robert, of course. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The views you've heard on this show are those of myself and my guests and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. If you'd like to see the reflected views of Skeptic Magazine, you'll need to get a silver mirror, creep into the darkness of a graveyard by moonlight, and then next to the big vaulted tomb, put your back to the entrance, look into the mirror, and mutter Michael Schermer three times. Or you could just buy the magazine as your local newsstand or subscribe at skeptic dot com.
Speaker 6: It's your call.
Speaker 2: Here's a quick reminder about a huge skeptics conference coming up in October. The Committee for Skeptical Inquiry is hosting p Ssicon twenty sixteen in Las Vegas. Go to CSI Conference dot org for more details. But the guest list is amazing. You got James Randy, Masimo Polidoro, Elizabeth Loftis, Ray Hyman, Joe Nicol, Eugenie Scott, Lawrence Krauss. Look, the list is just full of awesome people. Go check it out. That's CSI Conference dot org in Las Vegas, October twenty seventh through the thirtieth, twenty sixteen. We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skeptics into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org forge slash support. That's monster talk dot org forge Slash support. There we have links to our Patreon pages as well as a donation button. A great way to support the show is to buy us books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish List, which directly helps us with our research. We love usbooks very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love Kindle and we can share our digital library with each other. Finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find new listeners. And please share our show on your favorite social media platforms. Monster Talk theme music is by Pete Steally Monkeys. The introduction segments music is the song Creepy Doll by Jonathan Colton. Stay tuned altro to hear the full version of that amazing song. Thanks again for listening.
Speaker 3: Want to stay abreast of the latest from Skeptic Magazine and The Skeptic Society. Want cutting edge skeptical articles delivered straight to your inbox every week, Then subscribe to E Skeptic, the free electronic newsletter the Skeptic Society. Visit skeptic dot com to sign up.
Speaker 9: Been a town in the woods at the top of a hill, there's a house where no one lives, so you take a big bag of your big city money there and buy it. But at night, when the house is dark.
Speaker 10: And you're all alone.
Speaker 9: There's a noise upstairs. At the top of the stairs, there's a door, and you take a.
Speaker 7: Deep breath and try it, and.
Speaker 10: The flashlight shows you something moving just inside the door.
Speaker 7: There's a tatter dress.
Speaker 10: And a feeling you have felt somewhere before.
Speaker 8: And then agreed down that it's got a ruin down it's all away. Oh, And then the creepy do rat with balad it's got a pretty bal fun holder. So you scream and you close the door, and you tell.
Speaker 9: Yourself it was just nut dream.
Speaker 2: In the morning, you.
Speaker 9: Head into town because you want to go antiqueing. In the store, there's a strange old man with a wandering eye and a withered hand.
Speaker 10: When he hands you the old wooden box, you can hear his old bones creaking, and you know what you will find inside the moment that you see. But some once carved your name into the tarnished silver key.
Speaker 8: And then the creepy down down that voice bottle, it's got a ruin dome. It's always Oh, that's the creepy that voice bottle. It's got a pretty bwallow you home when you come away, and the dolls way.
Speaker 10: When you fix the snack.
Speaker 8: The doll says it like one.
Speaker 10: You doll is in your house and in your in your bad the doll.
Speaker 9: Is in your eyes and your Now it's late and you head downstairs because you just can't sleep. So you make some tea, and the doll, disapprovingly, asks if you really need that much money. You decide that you've had enough, and.
Speaker 7: You locked the doll in the wood and box.
Speaker 9: You put the box in the fireplace next to.
Speaker 10: Your bag of big city money.
Speaker 9: As the smoke fills up your tiny room. There's nothing you can do for toolick. You see the one inside the boxes you.
Speaker 8: And then a creepy di raw if ballowed, it's gotta ruin don it's always oh, And then a creepy die row if ballowed, it's got a pretty bound follow you hold it