Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: I'll goes it, mister Warlock winter Please, I've got my magic power working just fired. I can cast up a big freeze. Yes, sir, I think I can guarantee oh white Christmas wonderful. Then let's be off.
Speaker 1: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 2: Here's Amy Key.
Speaker 1: You bet watch John, you better not try, you bet not.
Speaker 3: I te Sata clauses.
Speaker 1: Woman to the time in twelve more days. It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Friday, December thirteenth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. YEP, it's right, It's you heard right. It is Friday the thirteenth.
Speaker 2: Oooh.
Speaker 1: It's also almost a full moon, which was beautiful on the way in. I know I talk about the moon a lot, but it is gorgeous and it's just just a sliver off of full, so I think it's going to be full tomorrow. Tomorrow. Also, if you're doing the twelve Days of Christmas, well there are just twelve days until Christmas, so you better get started today. We're going to have a run on partridges and a pear tree at the PetSmart. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. More than thirty seven hundred Malibu residents have been allowed to return home as firefighters continue to gain control of the more than four thousand acre fire. Sixteen hundred homes are still under evacuation orders. The fire that started late Monday night is about thirty percent surrounded. Bird flu has been detected at a farm in northern California that supplies turkeys to foster farms. The California Department of Food and Agriculture has euthanized the infected birds at Nilson Farms. This is the fourth time bird flu has been reported in Sacramento County this year. Stanley is calling two point six million stainless steel travel mugs because of a defect that could cause people to get burned. The mugs lid threads shrink when they're exposed to heat and torque, which could make the lid come off, and that poses a burn hazard. The Consumer Product Safety Commission is telling people to stop using the switchback and trigger action mugs. And contact Stanley to get a replacement. So what is up with all the drones buzzing around back East. We're gonna find out in just a couple of minutes with ABC's John Cohen, also a ceasefire may actually be closer to reality in the Middle East. We're gonna check him. With ABC's Jordanna Miller at five point twenty, we're gonna be talking with the house whispered Dean Sharp about how you can slime your house and then why that could save it from a wildfire. And ABC's Willgans has what's good and maybe not so good on the stream this weekend that's coming up before the top of the hour at five point fifty, Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Cooler weather and weaker winds have helped fire fighters trying to stop that four thousand acre wildfire in Malibu. Lacantic Fire Section Chief Drew Smith says the fire is now thirty percent surrounded.
Speaker 4: When we have this change in the weather, we're taking advantage of that so we can get in deeper to those areas to support that mop up endeavor. But we know that with the steep, rugged topography. There's areas that are going to be very challenging for us due to the topography and the heavy fuel loading.
Speaker 1: Some people have been allowed to return home, but about sixteen hundred remain under evacuation orders. Twelve homes and other buildings have been destroyed by the fire. Eleven are damaged most of the ones destroyed where other buildings, sheds and that kind of thing for homes were actually destroyed. The family of the woman from Hawaii reported missing in LA started refunding donations to the go fund Me page. Kfi's Tammy Truchillo says the family started the page last month to help with the search for Hannah Kobayashi, who turned out to have gone to Mexico on her own.
Speaker 5: The family expressed its appreciation for everyone who supported them during what they call they're unimaginable ordeal, and his father committed suicide while in Los Angeles who search for his daughter.
Speaker 1: People donated nearly fifty thousand dollars for the search. Those who want their money back can submit a claim by December eighteenth. Some hotel and airport workers in LA are going to be getting raises.
Speaker 6: Thealy City council's vote sets the minimum wage for some tourism workers at twenty two to fifty an hour next year, with regular increases until it's thirty dollars in twenty twenty eight. Councilman John Lee was among those opposed to the living wage ordinance because business owners have expressed fears.
Speaker 7: There are going to be underperforming stores that shutdown because of this, and they're going to those people are going to.
Speaker 1: Lose their jobs.
Speaker 6: The workers have argued they need more money to survive in the increasingly expensive city, especially before the Olympics bring many international visitors. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Amazon is planning to donate a million dollars to President elect Trump's inauguration fund, a company spokesman confirmed yesterday. The e commerce giant will also stream Trump's inauguration on Prime Video. Let's say good morning now to ABC's John Cohen. So, John, let's talk drones. What is going on in the skies over New York and New Jersey.
Speaker 8: I'd be great to be with you again. Okay, So, what we have seen over the last week or so are a number of alleged sightings of drones which are being described as suspicious activities. I think it's important for everybody to understand that, you know, drones or unmanned aviation vehicles as we're calling them in the government, have become very widespread as it relates to usage for legitimate purposes commercial imaging. You know, the forest fires you were just talking about. Our fire services used drones to maintain awareness of what's going on, but they've also increasingly been used by those involved in threat related or illegal activities. Drug traffickers use drones to transport drugs. Intelligence services use drones to collect intelligence. So what this case really illustrates is two things. One, we have real challenges in the country as far as who's responsible for maintaining awareness of both legal and illegal purposes. Usages of shows, who's responsible for identifying those illegitimate or threat related purposes, and who has responsibility for mitigating those threats. The other thing, quite frankly, this illustrates is something you and I have talked about over the years, which is how quickly conspiracy theories can can travel and across the internet. There are you know, if you only have to turn on the news to see people saying that these drones should be shot down, and just last night, we heard from Homeland Security and the FBI that they've actually determined a number of these videos are of legitimate aircraft.
Speaker 1: Legitimate aircraft meaning just regular old planes.
Speaker 8: Correct, Homeland Security and FBI that they've reviewed some of the videos that were were that were posted online and getting a lot of commentary, and they actually said that they were small manned aircraft being flown for legitimate purposes. So it's just it's really important. And I think this really illustrates is that when these types of videos or other content get posted online become the topic for widespread discussion, perhaps even these targets for conspiracy theories, that government really has a responsibility to provide accurate information so that if it is something that's truly a threat, steps can be taken to deal with it. If it's truly a threat, the public can be educated. But if it's not a threat, the public can feel feel safer. Quite frankly, that we don't have a bunch of in this case, drones being deployed for illicit or nefarious purposes around the country.
Speaker 1: Hey, but John, isn't that part of the problem Because there's so much buzz about the drones and in true government form. No one's saying they're responsible, like you're saying that some of them. They're saying, oh, some of those might be legitimate aircraft, but people have been reporting hundreds of them, like hovering over their houses.
Speaker 8: Yeah, exactly, I mean, and you're exactly right. Part of the problem is that we have more and more people using drones, right. I mean, just in my neighborhood alone, we have two families that love to fly their drones, and often I'll be in my yard and the drone will be hovering. We have some people who use drones, you know, for the legitimate purposes, and we also have drones that are being used for illegitimate purposes. I think Amazon just announced that they're going to be incorporating drones increasingly in what they you know, how they deliver packages to people's houses. That said, you know, and I ran the office for a while, or the office that was responsible for this at DHS fell under my responsibilities. We have really struggled nationally to develop a comprehensive and cohesive plan to deal with what you said. So, on the one hand, drones are becoming much more pervasive in our domestic airspace, and on the other hand, there is no clear delineation of who's responsible for making sure that a drone that may be hovering over someone's house, or over a government facility, or over some other type of sensitive location, or even near an airport, who's responsible for detecting that drone, determine whether it's legitimate, and if it's there for illegitimate purposes bringing it down? And then how do you bring it down if you shoot down a drone, which, by the way, for everyone listening, if you see a drone and you shoot it down, your in violation of federal law. But if it's a drone that's a threat or being used for illegal purposes, there's no clear delineation of who's responsible for taking care of that and bringing it down in a safe manner.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then John, do we have drones or does the government have drones that can go check out these supposed drones? I mean, can't they go up and say, hey, what is this?
Speaker 8: So typically the response to something like this is you can use a drone to check out the other drone you But what law enforcement would seek to do in a situation where they have concerns is try to identify who's controlling the drone, so, you know, because that's really what's going to help you identify whether it's a legitimate or a legitimate purposes. So what you often see, particularly you know, in cities and towns around the country, is if there's a report going into law enforcement, they'll try to find who's controlling the drone. They'll then seek to identify by talking to that person who, you know, what their purpose for, if they're in violation of the law, actions will be taken. If they're just sort of you know, if it's a legitimate purpose that type of action, or in and around airports, TSA has responsibility for maintaining safety of the you know, planes coming in and out of the airport, and that includes when there's there's a drone usage, if the drone usage is around you know, in and around a protective of the Secret Service, they have responsibility. But there's a big part of this country that right now it's not really clearly laid out who is responsible to detect, investigate, and respond to illicit drone usage.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then I think the other thing, you know that you're saying we should contact the people who are operating them, but I think that's part of the frustration of the people who say that these the drones just keep flying and we haven't heard that. Hey, you know what, we went and contacted this was the drone operator. Don't worry, it's fine, Like nobody's saying anything, which I think is leading to sort of the conspiracy theories.
Speaker 8: It's actually even worse than that is that you know what I've been watching is these videos have been posted. There has been a lot of content, you know, describing these thrones as being nefarious, even before investigation has been concluded. We've actually had lawmakers saying that the drone should be shot down. And then last night we hear from Homeland Security and FBI that they have started investigating these drones and a number of them are actually you know, manned aircraft or unmanned aircraft being used for legitimate purposes. What concerns me is, as we've seen in other areas of threat, is that sometimes the the amplification and the loud volume of the conspiracy theories can lead people to violent actions. So, you know, when suspicious circumstances such as whether it's a drone or something else, occurs, contact local authorities, let them investigate it. If required. Let them investigate it with the federal authorities, get a clear understanding of what is actually reality, and then respond accordingly. My concern is that people are going to hear some about some of these conspiracy theories and they're going to go out and start shooting at aircrafts that are flying over their house.
Speaker 1: Okay. John Cohen, a former counter terrorism coordinator at the Toarament of Homeland Security, thank you so much for your time for shedding a little light on our drone dilemma. Appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: All right, take care. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Two men have been charged with murder and connection with the death of a doctor who was shot on August twenty third while leaving his medical practice in Woodland Hills. Authority say this may have been a case of murder for hire. The doctor's ex wife and another man were also arrested in connection with the investigation. A man from Thousand Oaks has been sent to life in prison for severely beating and torturing his four year old daughter. Kfi's Mark Mayfield says the girl was punched and beaten and hit with a belt and a power cable.
Speaker 2: Prosecutors say the beatings in November of twenty twenty one continued for several days, leaving the girl in a vegetative state.
Speaker 1: When the girl was airlifted to Children's Hospital in LA she was diagnosed with traumatic injuries to her brain and spine, as well as broken bones and dozens of cuts and bruises. The NYPD says there's no sign the man accused of killing the United Healthcare CEO and New New York was ever a client.
Speaker 9: NYPD Chief of Detectives Joe Kenny tells NBC News that Luigi Mangioni may have targeted Brian Thompson because of the size of the insurance company, and Mangioni knew there was a conference happening at the hotel the day of December fourth.
Speaker 1: Kafi's Natalie Migliori says Mangioni did have an injury last year and posted images online of X rays showing screws in his spine. World champion hot dog eater Joey Chestnut has been named the chief Eggnog official for the Holiday Bowl in San Diego. He'll oversee the celebration at the end of the Holiday Bowl, where the winning coach is going to be covered in eggnog. Washington State and Syracuse will play in the Direct TV Holiday Bowl December twenty seventh. The City of Westminster and Orange County has sued two of its council members. The suit claims Amy Fan West and Namquan Win have repeatedly disrupted meetings, stopped business from being completed, and created a dysfunctional and racket this atmosphere. The suit asks the court to mediate the matter and make West and Win play pay the city's legal fees. The DMV says it is taking swift action to recall a set of license plates that mock the October seventh Hamas attack on Israel. The plates read LOL October seven. The vehicle that has them was seen at the intersection of Jefferson Boulevard and Supulvida in Culver City. The watchdog group Stop Anti Semitism ask the DMV to recall the plates. Rescue teams are searching for a humpback whale with fishing line wrapped around its pectoral fin and through its mouth. The whale was spotted by a whale watching group off Newport Beach. A whale Entanglement Response Team and whale watching groups are on the lookout for it. There are some concerns about how to safely remove the fishing line if the whale is found. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jordona Miller in Jerusalem, Jordana. President Biden's top two national security advisors are in the Middle East pushing for an Israeli Hamas ceasefire, and there may finally be some hope that that could actually happen.
Speaker 10: Right, It's not. You know, first of all, I say President Biden, he's just been you know, really really relentless and trying to get a deal between Israel and Hamas. And this time I think there's a combination of factors that has led everyone to feel optimistic. The most important one is that Hamas for the first time, is indicating that it will be flexible about some of the issues that it has just not given an inch on for really more than a year. And that is first that it will not demand Israel declares an end to the war at the very start of the ceasefire, and two, that it will not demand every Israeli troop withdraw from the Gaza strip in this phase one.
Speaker 1: That's a big thing.
Speaker 10: So it's a big thing. I mean, the Israeli troops will move out of some areas, but they will day for example, on a corridor that splits UH the Gozla trip in two, they will stay in along the periphery that runs north south UH and buffers on the Israeli side. They you know, they've been building a buffers on there. So these are big changes that Hamas you know, appears to be ready to make. And that will make all the difference really, because the Israelis uh, you know, are ready to move out as long as they can stay and watch that all the hostages come out and that they can see who comes in to replace Hamas. There are several, uh, several different proposals for that on the table. And remember there's a ceasefire now in Lebanon. Syria has fallen apart. Iran and Husbala have been beaten back. I mean, there's no and the Russians are busy. There's no one really this save Hamas right now in the Gaza strip. So they are isolated, they are battered. It is time for them to finally relinquish control over the Gaza Strip. And you know, and if they take steps towards doing that, I think we really could see a deal in the next several weeks.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, it's it's a quite a different position from when we were talking a few months ago. And Hamas was like saying, we're sitting and we're sitting pretty we're holding strong. We've got you know, we've got a lot of backing, we've got a lot of support we can and like you said, it's all right, right.
Speaker 10: Up, it's all fallen apart. Yeah. Remember Hamas's fantasy, if you will, on October seventh, who that they would ignite kind of regional war against Israel, right and they would be able to somehow create a divide between Israel and the United States. None of that happened. Actually, you know, the Axis of resistance, if you will, Iran, Hasbala, Iraqi militias, and Hama all took major, major hits, and the United States and Israel are standing strong like they always have. So Hamas, you know, really is in a corner right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know it's we hate to get political, but of course everything turns political. And there's been some speculation that Benjamin Nettna, who's waiting to make any big moves until President elect Trump takes office. But Jake Sullivan is saying, no, that's not the.
Speaker 10: Case, right, And I actually don't think it's the case. I think President Trump has already made it clear what he wants. He wants a deal, he wants, he wants a deal done, he wants the hostages out. You know, will the signing of a deal, you know, come right before you know, President Trump returns to the Oval Office, and then it'll play out while he's in his first month, maybe, but still, you know, there's a lot of legwork that needs to be done. It's actually you know, we talk about the hostages coming out in aid coming in, but there's a lot of details. First of all, the redeployment of these Erali armies a major issue. Where and when you know they'll move out over what kind of time table? And also remember the there are ninety six hostages they're holding, some are alive, some are dead. They include seven Americans, and so there's deals about getting the Americans out in the first in the first round of this. And in order to get any hostages out it it all has to release Palestinians that are jailed here in Israel for very serious crimes, terrorist crimes, you know, with a lot of blood on their hands. And that's a stiff negotiation. Who are they going to let out? You know, is it going to be ten ten people serving a life sentence for everyone hostage? And if so, where do they go to send them to the West Bank, to Gaza or abroad? So it's there are a lot of details to figure out, and it's going to take a few weeks.
Speaker 1: Well, lots of details, lots of questions, but signs of ope and that's a good thing. Yeah, all right, thank.
Speaker 7: You, Jerdana Miller.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we'll talk sin all right.
Speaker 1: Thanks, have a great weekend. BIL billboard supporting the alleged killer of the United Healthcare CEO in New York has popped up in San Bernardino County. The sign off the two fifteen in Colton looks like it was painted by hand. It has a pink background with black letters in all capitals that reads free Luigi Mangioni. He's a hero. An ex FBI informant charged with making up corruption allegations about President Biden and his son has agreed to plead guilty to four felony charges in La.
Speaker 2: Politico reports Alexander Smirnov has admitted to lying that he took part in meetings with executives from Ukrainian energy company Barisma in twenty fifteen or twenty sixteen. How about a scheme to pay ten million dollars to Joe and Hunter Biden. According to a plea agreement in federal court in La, Smirnov agreed to plead guilty to one kind of obstruction of justice and three tax evasion charges. His deal was with special counsel David Weiss, who also brought criminal cases against Hunter Biden for tax crimes and buying a gun while on drugs. Mark Groener KFI News.
Speaker 1: A man in La is expected to plead guilty to federal charges of illegally exporting turtles. Wildlife inspectors had a male facility in Torrents intercepted four packages earlier this year containing protected Eastern box turtles allegedly addressed to one of the man's aliases in China. The packages were falsely labeled as containing almonds and chocolate cookies. The turtles were found wrapped in socks. That doesn't sound like any fun at all. Experts on China say they can't see the Chinese president coming to Washington next month to celebrate President elects Trump's return to the White House. Trump's team sent an invitation to Shijinping for the inauguration, but the experts say the Chinese leader may find it too risky to accept. The director of the China program at the Stimson Center says she would look like a fool if Trump goes ahead and imposes high tariffs on Chinese imports when he takes office. Okay, so, Dolly parton life story is headed to Broadway and you may have a chance to step in the spotlight and be part of the show. Dolly posted on Instagram recently of scrolling through and came across this that she is doing a nationwide casting call for her show called Dolly, an Original Musical.
Speaker 11: And now I'm announcing the search for Dolly. Now, whether you're chasing your dreams from a small town or you've spent years performing on stages across the country, I want to give you the chance to help me bring my story to Broadway and maybe even play me. This show is a celebration of my music, my life, and all the amazing people who've been with me along the way.
Speaker 1: A select few will be auditioning in person in front of the casting director. You can get more information about the casting search. If you want to go audition for Dolly's Musical, It's at dolly Musical dot com.
Speaker 11: So what are you waiting for? This might be your big moment to take Centers day. Just step into the spot live and hey break the night.
Speaker 1: Firefighters have surrounded thirty percent of the fire burning in Malibu. It's burned just over four thousand acres, so it's holding its footprint. More than nineteen hundred firefighters are on the lines of the fire that started Monday night, and more than sixty percent of the people in affected areas have now been allowed to return back to their homes. Two cats have died after drinking raw milk that may have tainted with H five bird flu. The La County Department of Public House says the cats consumed the raw milk linked to a recall from Raw Farm LLC. They then developed symptoms including lack of appetite, fever, and neurologic signs. Both later died. The US Navy is cutting boot camp by a week. Basic training is going to be cut by a week from ten weeks to nine starting next year. The Navy says military dot Com or tells Military dot Com rather that the shortened boot camps are a result of cutting out inefficiencies. The Navy said it has met recruiting goals in twenty twenty four for the first time in years, and it expects recruiting numbers to remain high in the near future. At six so five a handle on the news. Amazon is kicking in a million bucks for President Trump's inauguration fund. Right now, let's say good morning to the house whisper Dean Sharp. Good morning, Dean, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 12: If the connection sounds a little weird, it's because I'm up in morro Bay.
Speaker 1: You're on vacation.
Speaker 12: Well, yeah, yeah, we're doing a little antiquing up here. Antiquing and vintage and furniture buying is what we're covering this weekend. And yeah, we took two or three days and kind of got away in the middle of the week here.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're going to talk about that, but little inside Baseball, Dean sends us like what he's going to talk about every week, and the files corrupted, So neither Anne and I we didn't know what you wanted to talk about. So now we know, but before you talk about that, we want to really really quickly because of all the fires in Malibu, and we've heard of some of the people who like literally have they bought generators or pumps in that kind of stuff and big fire hoses and are literally tapping into their swimming pools to douse their houses. But you also had talked with us about a gel. It's like you can slime your house to protect it, And so I wanted to hit that because I think that that is a really interesting, interesting thing that people should kind of put on their radar because these wildfires, they come out of nowhere and they can wipe out your house in seconds.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, there's I've been talking about this for years. I think if you live next to an open space and there's a threat of the actual fire line reaching your home, then this is an investment you will never regret making. It's a few hundred dollars for an average sized home. Let's say an average sized home about seven hundred dollars or so. It's fire gel, and fire gel is a compound, totally safe to store. You can store it for decades in your garage. Obviously, because it's non flammable. Fire gel is a compound that you would literally hook up to your garden hose. It comes in these containers, you know, kind of like how you spray fertilizer on your roses, like a miracle grow canister, and then you would spray this around. You can spray it on anything sprayed on the house. You spray it on the eaves, you can spray it on patio furniture, you can spray it on plants and landscape in your backyard, and it gets very foamy and it clings and it hangs on for about forty eight hours. And if you know anything about how fire lines travel, they travel very very quickly. If the fire actually reaches your home, it's going to pass by it very very fast. And so the idea is right before you evacuate, instead of trying to do something silly like staying home and fighting a thousand degree fire while fire that's thirty feet high with a garden hose, you move the junk away from your house. Anything that could start catch on fire and actually burn up the wall of your house. You just move that away and then spray everything down with the fire gel before you leave. It is an amazingly efficient coating, and it just gives you that one more edge and that peace of mind as you evacuate that there's a good chance that that surface will resist the flame if it actually reaches your house. Now, there are different fire jails out there, but the one that I've recommended throughout the years you can find at firegel dot com. It's called Barricade. I think it's now Barricade two. It might be three, but firejail dot com. This is obviously not something that you're gonna, you know, reach out for if the fire has already headed your way right now. But these fires are an amazingly good way for the rest of us to remember, you know, this could happen to any of us here in southern California, so be prepared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's sort of like having an earthquake preparedness kit. You also need to have wildfire preparedness because they come out of nowhere, and they go so fast, and it's only a few hundred dollars, which is another like bonus. It's not like you're you don't have to spend twenty thousand dollars. You just and then it just sits there until God forbid.
Speaker 12: You need it exactly, you know. I mean, it's not cheap, but it's a small price to pay to come back to your home when it's over.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, And just like that, of course we're out of time, but you're going to be talking about. Tell us what you're going to be talking about this weekend on your show.
Speaker 12: Well, I thought it was a good time of year to kind of stay in the decor mood. Not to Christmas decor, but furniture you're buying and antique, and I want to explain this weekend the difference between antique, vintage, retro, and what nostalgic design is all about. And then as I encourage people to do a better job buying furniture, we're going to give you guidelines as to what to ask and what to look for, so you know whether or not the furniture you're buying is truly good quality furniture.
Speaker 1: Good to know because a lot of furniture now is just crap. I keep having people tell me it's just not well made anymore.
Speaker 12: So, absolutely, and I think we're moving past this phase, the long phase that we went through as American buying furniture of what I call disposable furniture, the kind of stuff that you don't expect to keep. I want you to save up and buy the furniture that you know you're going to pass on to the kids.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, okay, And then one more last thing for Dean. If you listen to Dean's Holiday show. He allowed me to stop buy a couple of weeks ago, and we both brought our ho ho ho h two o's to show to show the audience. So it's an automatic watering system for your Christmas tree. And after a couple of little glitches, because I'm not very good at this kind of stuff, I have it hooked up. So it's a it looks like a Christmas package and it holds two and a half gallons of water and it's got like a censor and a little tube, and it automatically waters your Christmas tree so you never have to worry about it. It's just always watering and it's working like a charm.
Speaker 12: I was going to ask you, because I know this is your first year of playing with it, how it was working out for you. Ours is hooked up to and again talk about trouble Free and Rudolph's nose goes on lights up when the reservoir gets low. If it gets low. But it's a present that's sitting out away from the tree. It's so easy to refill and otherwise it takes care of it for you. And yeah, it's got a weird name, but it's called the ho Ho ho h two O tree filler. And you know what, everybody should just go look it up because it's seriously cool.
Speaker 1: Oh, absolutely, absolutely, it's so great. Dean Sharp, have a great time. And again you can listen to Dean this weekend six ' eight tomorrow morning and then nine to noon on Sunday morning. It's home with Dean Sharp right here on KFI. Thank you Dean, Thanks Amy, all right. The family of Hannah Kobayashi is offering refunds to people who donated to a go fund Me account to help find her. She went missing after missing a connection to New York at Lax in November. The family says it has made contact with her. She is in Mexico and she doesn't want to come back. California will get one hundred and thirty five million dollars to reduce air pollution and fight climate change. The Biden administration has earmarked the money for replacing diesel and gas powered buses and trucks with electric vehicles. The funding comes from the Inflation Reduction Act. A bird strike has forced an American Airlines flight out of New York to make an emergency landing. A bird flew into the engine of the plane shortly after it took off from LaGuardia Airport last night. Passengers say they saw flames and an explosion when the bird hit. The pilot was able to land the plane safely at JFK. We're just minutes away from a Handle on the news this morning. Handle's going to give us quick update on the Malibu fire and lots and lots of people getting to go back to their homes after being forced to leave them because of the fire earlier this week. Let's say good morning to ABC's Will Gans.
Speaker 7: Will.
Speaker 1: Let's start with Christmas nonsense.
Speaker 7: Christmas all right, it's a good place to start. So I heard you guys playing Espressco as you bumped into this block, and that is very fitting because Sabrina Carpenter, who has just been on like an incredible trajectory all year thanks to espresso and taste and please, please please, she is getting into the Christmas special. Game. She has a new special that's streaming on Netflix. It's called A Nonsense Christmas and it is in the vein of those classic holiday Christmas specials, you know, where oh Who's knocking at the door. It's another celebrity guest and those type of things. But it's also very Sabrina Carpenter. So it's a little sexy. It's a little funny and silly. And so for anyone who I don't know, maybe you have your Jen Alpha or and the you know, family members coming into town, it's a it's a cute special to watch together. And in short, it's like less than an hour on Netflix, and and it'll get you in the holiday spirit and it helps you understand Sabraina Carpenter a little bit better too.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's it's just a musical special, but it's is it kind of borderline into a variety thing because like you said, there are people knocking at the door. Is it all just singing?
Speaker 7: No, there there's like little you know, scenes acting, you know, moments as well that are you know, very cheesily scripted. So you'll get a little bit of everything too. And it is you know, she like walks around backstage, and you know there's different you know, people trying on costumes and things like that. So it's very it's more than music. It's more than just the music.
Speaker 1: Okay, perfect, So if that'll get you in the Christmas spirit, and then for the anti Christmas spirit, no joke Joker Faliad is on the string.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, so this is finally available to stream as of this morning on HBO Max. So if you didn't see it in theaters, which I didn't most people, most people did not, And you want to know what all the hubbub was about why people maybe didn't like it so much? The movie is finally available to stream as of today on HBO Max. And you know this is the one with Lady Gaga and of course Joaquin Phoenix, and it's part musical, part comic book film. And yeah, you don't have to pay to sit in the theater to watch it. You can watch it from your couch starting to day.
Speaker 1: Which is good. I might watch it. So well with that movie, it didn't do well, even though like the first Joker movie did with with Joaquin Phoenix did do very well. Did people know it was a musical going in because I didn't.
Speaker 10: I mean it.
Speaker 7: Was, you know, it was there was music in the trailers and stuff, but it wasn't like Wicked, where it's like, you know, we're going to be singing along, and it was not advertised as and it also, I mean when you consider like who the audience was for the first Joker, that's not the type of audience member you really think about when you think musical, you know. So it was they took a big swing, and I think maybe in this case it didn't really pay off.
Speaker 1: Okay, but it's out on the stream and now I can watch it with no guilts because I'm not.
Speaker 7: Spending exactly exactly well, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Spending the twenty bucks up front. I'm spending the fifteen dollars every month for Netflix. And where is is Netflix is where you'll see it.
Speaker 7: It's on a field Joker, Yeah yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: And then one other one, also on a little bit on the darker side. Hugh Grant's got a movie for you.
Speaker 7: Yes, And this is not notting Hill, this is not Bridget Jones's diary. This is Hugh Grant like you've never seen him before. So this is a thriller called Heretic and he plays this like really scary guy. So the plot is basically, there's two young women who are Mormon missionaries and unfortunately they go to Hugh Grant's house to spread the good word and he invites them in and doesn't have plans on letting them out. And it is Yeah, it is freaky and it is spooky, but it's really really great. So if you're looking for the anti Christmas movie maybe this weekend. It's a good one to watch and really really well received critically. And Hugh Grant, I mean, I don't know what took him so long to get into this genre because he plays a creepy guy very well.
Speaker 1: Really Okay, and that is that a movie or a series.
Speaker 7: It's a movie. It's a movie. And I watched it on Amazon Prime Video, but it's sort of available everywhere, so you're, you know, if you if you still pay for cable, you could stream it, you know, through your cable provider or whatever. But yeah, it's great, but.
Speaker 1: Otherwise you have to pay for it on Prime like three bucks or four bucks or something.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, maybe a little bit more than that because this is the first week that it's out, but uh yeah, it's it's worth it if you want to get the whole family sort of glued to the edge of their seat this week.
Speaker 1: Yest of course to be decorating this weekend. And I don't know that these are going to be great movies for decorating for Christmas.
Speaker 7: Maybe stick to the Sabrina Carpenter special.
Speaker 8: You got it all.
Speaker 1: Right, perfect? Willgans? Thank you so much, appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Thanks Amy, all right, have a good weekend. Let's do.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The fire that has burned more than four thousand acres in Malibu now thirty percent surrounded. Weaker winds, cooler weather, and higher humidity. Humidity have helped. CalFire says there was no significant fire growth yesterday, good news, but the fire is still smoldering in steep, dangerous terrains. Some people have been allowed to return home. About sixteen hundred or still under evacuation orders. Twelve homes and other buildings have been destroyed by the fire, eleven are damaged. The DMV says it is working to recall a set of license plates that mock the October seventh attack on Israel. Kfi's Tammy Truchios's the group Stop Anti Semitism reported seeing the plates on a car and Culver City.
Speaker 5: The plates READLL oct seven, which it says stands for laugh Out Loud October seventh and celebrates October seventh terrorist attack by Hamas in Israel.
Speaker 1: The DMV has apologized for allowing the plates to be issued. LA's temporary outdoor dining permits have been extended again.
Speaker 6: This time, Mayor Bass is giving restaurant operators until the end of next year to apply for a permanent al fresco permit. Many restaurants have turned a sidewalks, streets, and parking spots to serve customers since the onset of the COVID pandemic. Their permits were slated to expire this week. Now, Bass says city hall should continue to support the operations and not be a barrier to their potential success. Michael Monks, KFI News.
Speaker 1: Okay, couple of reminders, since we are getting close to Christmas, only twelve days to go, We've got mailing deadlines coming up, and if you haven't seen them here they are for the US Postal Service. If you're just doing regular ground advantage service. You need to have that in the mail or at the post office by December eighteenth. If you're doing priority mail, December nineteenth is your deadline, and if you're doing express, December twenty first. So if you've got packages going out again, December eighteenth for ground advantage, December nineteenth for priority mail, and December twenty first for priority mail express. Christmas is coming so fast. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI sunny with highs in the low to mid sixties at the beaches Metro LA and Inland Orange County, mid sixties in the valleys and Inland Empire fifties for the Antelote Valley. Overnight lows tonight in the thirties and forties, then mostly cloudy tomorrow with a chance of rain just a slight one. Tomorrow night, highs will be in the fifties and sixties again, becoming sunny on Sunday with highs in the sixties to near seventy, and then we're going to see partly cloudy skuys as we head into next week, with highs in the sixties to low seventies. It's fifty and Fuller ten fifty one, San Clementy forty two, one thousand Oaks forty eight in Si Ritos. We lead local live from the KFI twenty one for our newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen any old time on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.