Speaker 1: Welcome friends. The podcasts podcast is done. Jacky again Ryan.
Speaker 2: They're talking about buying podcast from Mike Judge, creator of Beatus and Bunhead and co creator of King of the Hill.
Speaker 1: Comes a movie about people who go to work.
Speaker 2: Who are part of a team.
Speaker 1: And remember next Friday is Hawaiian Shirt Day.
Speaker 2: Okay, I could fit the building unfired and need to escape. I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore. It looks like you've been missing quite a bit of work lately. Well, I wouldn't say I've been missing it. Bob. You haven't been shown up and you've got to keep your job. Actually, I'm being promoted. I Intertech deserves to go down. We're just the guys to do it. Tell me about that virus you're always talking about, one that could rip off the company for a bunch of money. I'm not good to do anything illegal to illegal. This is Amrita. Welcome to a movie film commentary track. My name is Zachie Hasan. I'm here with Brian Hall.
Speaker 1: Hey Zachi, what's happening? Brian?
Speaker 2: Do you have a case of the mondays.
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: So we're here to watch office Space This is a movie that celebrated it's twenty fifth anniversary about a year ago. As we're recording this, and you know, just like the speed of business, we're like, you know, we got to it, when we got to it. Yeah, this has been on our to do list for a while, so I'm glad we finally get to do it.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is like such a classic. I was just saying before we started, like, I know this movie top to bottom. Yeah, and it's just one of those things that maybe you even sort of take it for granted for that reason, And so I can't believe we haven't gotten to this yet. This is gonna be fun.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a fun, fun conversation. So we are here to talk through Mike Judges cult classic from nineteen ninety nine, a comedy that truly was ahead of its time because it did not find its audience until long after it left the theaters. But hey, we're we're gonna go through it. If you want to watch along with this, you certainly can't do that. If not, we'll try to keep our conversation engaging enough to keep you company while you're while you're driving, while while you're stuck in traffic as you move from one lane to the next, desperately trying to trying to move a few inches ahead, you know, yep, And there is just the one cut. And I will go so far as to say it is it is the perfect cut, Thank goodness. It is exactly what it needs to be.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, A trim little ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So I'm cute up on my end about you, Brian. I'm ready to go, all right, So we'll do the usual thing. I will go to count to three, one, two three, play and here we go. Ready, one, two three play.
Speaker 1: So do you remember this movie being in theaters?
Speaker 2: Not only do I remember it being in theaters. I and this is this is absolutely true. Some people are like Zaki. You're always there at these historically significant moments when it comes to movies. In nineteen ninety nine, I was there on opening night for two movies, Office Space and The Sixth Sense, And I get to claim I watched this movie in a virtually empty theater. It was myself in a small group of friends, and it was literally like, well, we would just hang out and watch movies, and this happened to be the new movie that week, and so I was, and I wrote a review for the College You Do Page newspaper. I was way ahead of the curve on office space and it was Wow.
Speaker 1: You remember it being like, oh that was great.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, I My stomach was hurting. I was laughing so hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: I mean it was. This was one of those things where everybody I met I'd be like, you gotta watch this, you gotta watch this, you know. So yeah I was.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was at the leading edge of office space. I'm very proud to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is just so this movie.
Speaker 2: So did you just hear this?
Speaker 1: I can hear the music, Yeah, I mean this, I mean there's so much to get into. The soundtrack to this is so unexpected and perfect. Yeah, and it just I mean we have to compliment the opening, the sequence of him in traffic trying to figure out which is the quickest lane and whatever lane he's not in, that's the quickest lane. Yeah. And the editing is so amazing on this, just selling the frustration well.
Speaker 2: And and what's really so great, right, I mean, this is one of those things where you can just go down the list at everything that works and so right right up up top of Ron Livingston as Peter, and this truly is perfect casting, and especially when you realize the studio wanted Matt Damon, yes, which I could almost see a version of like present day Matt Damon in.
Speaker 1: This yeah yeah yeah, or even then I can understand the thinking, but it's.
Speaker 2: A different movie. It's very different.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: This scene David Herman just doing his rap and then he like a black guy comes near and he just very quickly locks his door so funny, well and turns.
Speaker 1: The music down exactly like he's just like screaming these lyrics and like, and then he slowly turns it down, locks his door, then turns the music back up.
Speaker 2: A Jay Nadu. I love his character in this movie so good.
Speaker 1: But I have to ask you, are you Are you a person that like kind of blasts music but when you get to a stop light you turn it down just because there are people around?
Speaker 2: I do, well, I mean, what am I blasting?
Speaker 1: Like Phil Collins, I'm not even just saying the content of the music, but I'm like one of those people where I'm driving and I'm probably like yelling along to the lyrics like yeah, But then you get to like a stoplight or something, and I turn it down.
Speaker 2: Like I do not turn my music down. But I can't say. I can't say I've thought about it, know that I'm blasting it loud enough to even be heard outside of my car.
Speaker 1: You know, maybe I'm just an insecure person.
Speaker 2: We're learning all kinds of things about Brian today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, if anyway, sorry you were about to say something.
Speaker 2: Now. The the the mix of characters here, and they're all they're all played by actors who who were familiar to varying degrees, like at this point I had already seen Swingers, so I knew Ron Linston from that. I knew David Herman from from from Mad TV so and then of course Gary Cole. I think I knew Gary Cole from from The Brady Bunch of Movies probably, But it's all familiar, Phace. It's all character actors. But I think it helps that they are. They all seem like people you would encounter in your everyday life. There aren't any real movie stars in here.
Speaker 1: Yes, which I you know you already said, but Fox wanted there to be, but Mike Judge insisted, like no, there can't. These characters cannot have star power. It will take away from who they are in this film, and I mean he he's of course absolutely right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, you know, oftentimes the advice screenwriters who are trying to break in are given is write what you know, right, And this is like a textbook example of how write what you know can bear such perfect fruit, right, because Mike Judge spoke from his own experience working in one of these corporate drone type jobs and sort of the soul deadening experience that he had where he was literally like alphabetizing work orders, which just sounds like the definition of busy work, you know, right, and it was he talked about how it was so soul crushing because he couldn't even daydream because he would lose his place.
Speaker 1: Right, It's so.
Speaker 2: Sad, right, And so taking all of that frustration and channeling it into you know what started as these animated shorts on liquid Television, you know, Milton featuring Lumber, and then of course that went to SNL and then you know it just somehow it ends up his soul deadening nightmare becomes this sort of primal scream that at this point several generations can relate to.
Speaker 1: You know, and it's yeah, it's amazing because you can imagine a lot of versions then that would come out of a person from these experiences. But this is just such a perfect little gem, you know, with its characters, with its situations, and just it's amazing the things that he was able to recollect, things that feel so lived in, Like the moment we just saw where he was approaching the door to enter the bullten but he knows it will shock his finger if he touches it. Yeah, and it's funny because it does. And what's great is it's not the biggest thing in the world, but it's just this little annoying thing you don't want to happen. That doesn't make you want to walk through those doors every morning.
Speaker 2: Right, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean that's something that must have happened to him and to have the presence of mind to you know, I'm going to use that, you know, and then I can watch that and just know that soul deadening feeling that I'm seeing.
Speaker 2: It's especially you know, a cogent observation of just of just the day to day drudgery that you know, all of the furniture and the and the floor plan and everything. I mean, this just this looks like offices that we've seen or even been in, you know, I don't even know how many times throughout our lives, right, and yet Mike Judge had this specific vision and they they they screen tested each piece of.
Speaker 1: Furniture, oh, to see how it would look on film.
Speaker 2: Exactly to represent his vision of this office, you know. And he talked about how like, you know, initially it was like, oh, you should say it in Wall Street or do like a like a heightened like a brisk zil type Brazil as in the movie Terry Gilliams Brazil. And he's like, no, no, no, like, that's not the point. The point is this is just like every town in America has an in a tech right you know.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, Well, he was describing you had these sort of office park areas. We have these very boring, nondescript buildings, you know, with these perfectly manicured little bits of grass, and then a mile away are all the food chains. You know, your Tgi Friday is your Applebee's. And he's so it's so true. I mean I've driven past many of these places.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And you know I I I was reading too that the studio executives were looking at the dailies and they weren't happy because it did look dull, you know, And and they were giving him notes like dude, no, no, no, no, more energy, more energy. You got to reshoot this. And you just really have to admire Judge for being so confident in his vision because obviously this became a huge hit after its theatrical release. Like he was absolutely right. I always admire that when you could think, well, maybe I should have cast Matt Damon, maybe I should make this a little bigger, maybe there should be a huge set piece at the end, but it's like, no, no, no, no, no, you were right all along and you made a thing that so many people related to and found hilarious. You just have to have that confidence in your vision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would imagine that. I mean, it's been more than a quarter century at this point, so he feels vindicated in every way, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was reading some story where I guess when he was working on Idiocrasy with his co writer, they went to a Starbucks and the baristas were doing impressions of Lumberg, and so I guess that his co writer was like, oh, are you only are you doing that? Because this is Mike Judge and they're like, who's Mike Judge, Like everybody knows, Okay, I know, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah that well, you know this is this is I've used this chestnut quite a bit in our commentary tracks. You know, in specificity, you find universality, and that's that's so applicable with all the little things, you know, the the the chirping lady answering the phone just a moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's so perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so so uh jay Nato, I should say he's he's from Evanston, Illinois, No kidding, he's a he's a hometown boy, Brian.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I like the fact that he approached the character. You know, he's he's an Indian American, but he's like he tried to find him into the character that felt authentic. So he he plays him as Jordanian and he plays him with a Jordanian accent.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting.
Speaker 2: And I love that, you know that, you know, because you can imagine the very broad Indian caricature of totally. And I like the fact that Samir feels like a guy. I know, I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna say, he feels like an authentic person, not a type exactly. Yeah, well, speaking of food chains, I mean, obviously this is a take on TGI Fridays. Yeah. I love the introduction of this waiter by the way, where they're talking about like someday I just want to go into work and and thens like, hey, guys like mirrors his like machine gun noise, but tries to find his way in, like hey.
Speaker 2: Can he get your smabetizers?
Speaker 1: So funny.
Speaker 2: By the way, I also love in the in the sequence that just ended here, every shot has has Michael pouring sugar into that coffee.
Speaker 1: I'm like, notice me.
Speaker 2: The most disgusting ass coffee.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Richard Riley one of the great character actors.
Speaker 1: So good. It's a jump to conclusions, man, well oh wait, oh wait, sorry, yeah, I was gonna say, first he abandoned Richard Kimball on that on that bus. That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: Then, and then he's trying to explain how he's a people person, you know, shot.
Speaker 1: By the way right there, that's just that static and that weird little dip in the ground like I've passed so many areas that look like that. It's just amazing. And then well we we uh it comes up many times. But the the TPS report, which is hilarious. It's such a great runner where how you can just start to feel beaten down because someone mentions, hey, you forgot the thing. Okay, yep, you're right, I'll get on that, and then another person comes around, Hey, you know, like when you have several managers and you're being overmanaged and everyone's reminding you of the thing over and over.
Speaker 2: It's like, I got it, and it's this nothing bit of minutia, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly exactly it.
Speaker 2: It ultimately amounts to nothing.
Speaker 1: It's a cover sheet on your TPS report, you know, right right.
Speaker 2: I think about the fact that I mean I never I've never had an office job, right, like like this anyway, like a cubicle jockey job. And and I think a lot about like how office space probably played at least some part in my decision to actively steer away from to avoid Yeah, you know, not not not in a way that was at the forefront of my thinking, but certainly as as as a wallpaper of my mind, you know, M like, I don't know if I want to do that. I do remember by the by the time this movie came up, my brother had been working in this environment for a couple of years now, and I remember he watched it and he was just like, this is too real.
Speaker 1: It's like a horror movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was like, well, okay, good, good, good, truly noted, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a is this where he's like PC load letters right, No, I love some meres thing.
Speaker 2: If I had a million dollars, I would call my friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah there is yeah, yeah, he actually has like a plan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like TPS report and PC load letter, these have just sort of become part of the vernacular by themselves. Yeah, as like shorthand for for just like like PC load letters just your computers given you crap.
Speaker 1: I do. I think about it all the time. Yeah, actually, and then I looked it up because I was curious what it means, because I actually have gotten that before. And it's, uh, it's when a printer doesn't recognize the refil the refill of letter sized paper. So PC means paper cartridge.
Speaker 2: There you go, Michael, That's that's what that means the whole With regards to Michael. By the way, David Herman is terrific in this movie. It's so funny and he plays it. What I love is he He he's very funny, but he doesn't play the character broad and I think that's why it's funny. Yes, right, But he was the first person who, like like Mike Judge wrote the movie with him and mine for the part. Everyone else, he was kind of like he had people read for. But he knew he wanted David Herman because he you know, David Herman would do voices on on King of the Hill and stuff. Ah, okay, right, but what and Stephen Roote also is on King of the Hill by the way. But what's funny is that at the time, David Herman was one of the regulars on Mad TV. That's what I knew him from was Mad TV, and he he couldn't he was not allowed to do anything else while he was on Mad TV.
Speaker 1: Okay, but he wanted to do this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so at a table read for Mad TV, he was he just started screaming every line in order to get himself fired so that he could be in this movie.
Speaker 1: And it worked and it worked wow amazing, wow.
Speaker 2: Like literally, like like Greg Daniels had told him, like, well, you'll always have a job, but King of the Hill, you know, it's.
Speaker 1: Like Okay, well I have a fallback.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna I'm gonna torch my my current employment right now.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. See, I don't know if I have the boldness for that sort of thing. But then you see, like this is one of the roles he will forever be remembered by. He should be in this movie. Yeah, so it was it was the right move. You know. It's funny because when I worked at Bob's Burgers, he plays mister frond Yes on the show, and we would have these table reads literally every Friday. It was the coolest thing, by the way, every Friday they would cater breakfast. Every crew member would go into this room and we'd watch the cast read the new script.
Speaker 2: And so the one time he showed up and screamed his lines, You're like, okay, I guess he doesn't want to be on the show anymore.
Speaker 1: No, but no, But I did not it together at first that it's really he looks so different now, he looks different now, yeah yeah. And then when I realized who it was, I blew my mind.
Speaker 2: Now it's yeah, yeah, So Dedrich Bader is is pitch perfect as Lawrence right, yes, And and it's endlessly amusing to him because de drich Baterer has has such range. He's he's amazing, right because he was on he was on Drew Carey Show right around the time this was being made. But he's you know, he went on to be the voice of Batman and Raving the Bold Animated show.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: But he's so perfect here because Lawrence is so earnest right, like when he's like when he's like under two tricks at the same time, like he he says it with with such a.
Speaker 1: Pure heart, oddly enough, Yes, exactly, Yeah, Yeah, this is a man who knows himself, you know, because because what I read is that that Vince Vaughan and Owen Wilson read for it, And I'm like, yeah, I just can't see that, you know, No, I agree.
Speaker 2: I love both them guys. I just can't see them playing this role, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I totally agree. Well, the character is based on someone that Judge knew in real life. M M. I guess he was a neighbor who was a mechanic. He's a mechanic, and he said that he was just like this guy just was content with his life and he wished he could be as content as this person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and sorry, I'll let you finish. But I think that is a perfect contrast with this scene here right where you've got lumber saying ask yourself, is this good for the company?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And this is something that anybody in an office environment like this has probably encountered at some point, and you realize the very real disconnect between workers and the company, right like that that is such an abstract statement, is this good for the company? Is that going to make people work harder or or or make them care? Probably not, because what Peter articulates later, right, idea of like what does it matter whether I work a little harder or not if the company stock price goes up? It doesn't affect me? Yes, right, And that is so relevant whether you're talking about nineteen ninety nine or twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: I know it's such a meme now, you see it all the time where it's like, you know, hey, we had the highest profits we've had in our company's history. Here's a pizza for you, right, you know, oh wonderful.
Speaker 2: And so to the point you're making about the mechanic who Mike Judge knew, right, there's a situation where above and beyond the money side, and you know, doing Okay, it's the fact that I did this work, and here is the result of the work I did. This thing that was not working is working now. I get to see for myself the result of the labor I put in, right, And there's something that's just sort of spiritually enriching about that, right. I mean, you know, when it comes to writing a script, right, there's nothing like having start it out with a blank page and whatever work you put in. At the end of it, you're like, I did this thing. This this did not exist before it does now and I did that m Yep, absolutely right. I mean it's incredibly rewarding. And so what the angst that Mike Judge drilled down on is that it's you're doing all this work and other than subsistence, what are you getting out of it?
Speaker 1: Anyway, No, I think that's something we can relate to no matter what year it is. Yeah, by the way, I've said this in other commentaries or whatever, but I always get stressed out when I see that bar going across a computer screen like either he's downloading something or here he's trying to shut down his computer. It's just such a relatable thing and when they use it to create tension in a film, it always works. This is somebody There's like I mean, I really feel like not enough can be said about how well directed and edited this movie is. Yeah, it's a very common I mean, this is his first live action thing. I believe, that's right, and it's so confidently directed and edited for comedy perfection. You know, it kind of reminds me of John Hughes a bit, where it's kind of feels a little static, but the better word is precise, that's right. You know, it's just so sad. He's trying to get out of there, so you want it.
Speaker 2: To be that's all he wants is to avoid.
Speaker 1: But you know, going back again to the neighbor character, uh Dedrich Baterer's character. What I love about Mike Judge he has always been brilliant at when it was Beavis and butt Head, this Silicon Valley, even the movie Extract. He is brilliant with characters. And there are these hyper specific characters that aren't as specific as We'll just have Owen Wilson plan and then you'll get it, you know what I mean. Like, they're very very specific types that you have definitely met in your life, but didn't realize that you were meeting a type until you see them. Yeah, in my Judge stories, you know. Yeah, that's one of his superpowers. You know.
Speaker 2: The funny thing about Ddrik Bater first time I ever saw him was on this TV show that aired during the summer of ninety two, I think on Fox called Danger Theater. H and it was this It was like a half hour thing with two like eleven minute segments, and it was like a parody of old timey adventure shows.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the first.
Speaker 2: Segment starred d Drich Baterer as this guy who rides his motorcycle from town to town called the Searcher. That's hilarious, right, and then the second segment was called Tropical Punch, starring Adam West, and it was like a Hawaii five Oh riff.
Speaker 1: I want to watch this.
Speaker 2: This is s you look at find it on YouTube because this is like a Brian Hall style of humor.
Speaker 1: Danger Theater.
Speaker 2: It's called Danger Theater and it was it was hosted by Robert Vaughn. So, I mean, you know it really it was very similar to like look well you.
Speaker 1: Know yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, The Conan.
Speaker 2: O'Brien pilot with Adam West very much in that vein tonally. But anyway, that was the first time I saw Dedrick Bader, and so he's on my radar for that. Now. It's somewhat amusing that he had two Batman Batman past Batman future happened to be on the same show together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is funny.
Speaker 2: But so when I you know, when when he showed up on Drew Carrey and so if I recognize him from that, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's where I first saw.
Speaker 2: So so the role of the doctor here, you know, originally this was Earmark for Stephen Root. Yeah, I could picture it, you know, because because they weren't they were gonna have him play the hypnotist and then the other Bob the consultant he was going to take you know, but of course he read for Milton. He just nailed it. He was he was doing an imitation of Mike Judge as Milton, and he like, did it better than Mike Judge.
Speaker 1: You know, that's really funny.
Speaker 2: I mean, the Milton character, this all started with Milton, yes, big, and that all started because of this guy that Mike Judge worked with at one of these offices who would just complain all the time about his desk being moved.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, He's like, they moved.
Speaker 2: My desk and you know, I'd like being close to the fish tank. And if they moved my desk one more time, I'm going to quit. There's literally what do you talk like?
Speaker 1: Isn't that incredible? I mean, and just again to Mike Judge's superpower, he recognizes types. Yeah, and he knew there was something that could be built out of that person that probably everybody else in the office ignored.
Speaker 2: But here's the other interesting thing, right, So he does these shorts again. They were on Liquid Television, they were on SNL And at that point the folks at Fox are like, hey, why don't you do Milton as a movie, and he, very smartly Mike Judge is like, I don't think there's a movie there. I don't think there's a movie in Milton. I don't think we want to see his life. And at that point they're like, well, how about something like an like car wash or something ensemble of people and Milton is one of them, and there you go, you know, smart amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's interesting, I mean, it's it's strange. That this movie did not make an impact in theaters, and similarly, two years previous, Austin Powers did not make an impact in theaters. But they have since come on to be gone on to be something that culturally everybody at least knows one piece of, right, like a line or a moment or you know, a situation or something. And it's just really speaks to the time when these were released, when a movie could be discovered and become a hit later on my video. Right, that's really true, because that's that's essentially what happened here where I think what it had a ten million dollar budget, It only made twelve million dollars in theaters, but it became a runaway hit on home video, so much so that Fox wasn't even aware of it. They'd just forgotten about the film, and then it was brought to their attention, like this thing is out selling you know, our our higher earning films.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like years later, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's just one of those things. And then of course, I mean I remember having the vhs of this, and then of course it becomes a staple on Comedy Central, and then it gets drilled into everybody's brains and because it's that good. It connects and lives on.
Speaker 2: When did you watch it for the first time, Pretty.
Speaker 1: Close to it coming out. I think I saw it when it came out on VHS.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I remember right around the time it hit home video. I was working at a local TV station, and that was a it was I guess I could talk about this now it's been a quarter century. But there's like a set of dub racks, you know, and you could put like a like a tape from Blockbuster and it was just stripped the copy protection right right right, and so people just made like thirty copies of office space and just just passed them around.
Speaker 1: You know. Well that's how I first saw The Mummy. You made me a copy of The Mummy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love First of all, Jennifer Aniston is the biggest star in this movie. She was the biggest star in the movie when it came out.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is like peak friends, right right, And.
Speaker 2: I would say she's still like the biggest star in the movie. That's the funny thing, you know.
Speaker 1: I know, I know. And she The stipulation Fox gave Judge was if you're gonna hire these unknowns for the central characters. You have to have at least one star in your movie. So that's why he looked at Jennifer Inoson, who does a great job.
Speaker 2: By the way, she's she's very good in this and in fact, the whole subplot about her, you know, the whole Flair Runner was basically added to beef up her role.
Speaker 1: Wow. That's interesting. Yeah, And I mean, and that's such a crucial part of it. Yeah, well and a crucial part of what people remember about this movie. Yeah, you know, and I mean so much so that I I don't know if this is apocryphal or not, but Tgi Friday stopped stopped having their servers wear and all those Yeah, because of this film. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this part cracks me up. Like as as Tom gets more and more, you know, hunkered down into the realization he's about to lose his job. Yeah, and johncy McGinley, what what is it that.
Speaker 1: You do here? What would you say.
Speaker 2: It is that you do here?
Speaker 1: And he's getting flustered.
Speaker 2: I'm a people person, What the hell is wrong with you people?
Speaker 1: I love that the evaluators are both named Bob Yep, yep, the two Bob's. It's like funny. What a funny. I mean, you could just have those characters and still have the whole movie, but it's like, let's make them both named Bob, just a little extra flourish. Yeah. John C.
Speaker 2: Mcginley's obviously very funny. Paul Wilson who he you know, I know him from Cheers. He played he played the character Paul on Cheers. Yeah, and he's in like just about every season, almost every episode of that show, you know, oh wow, And and he he you know. McGinley talked about how the two of them had just this great rapport where they would just improv together. He said it was like jazz, like they'd just be riffing hmmm, and he'd end up with with comedy gold. You know.
Speaker 1: Now John C.
Speaker 2: McGinley read for Lumberg.
Speaker 1: I can see that.
Speaker 2: I can see it, But I'm also like, you know, the thing about John C. McGinley, no matter what role he plays, he's he's he's got this like simmering rage just underneath the surface.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The word that came of it was like a little bit of intensity. Yes, and Lumberg needs to lack all intensity exactly right, So you realize, like like Gary Cole Gary cole Is. It's so funny because you can just plug him into whatever and he's.
Speaker 2: Going to do a good job.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he's great.
Speaker 2: Whether he's Mike Brady or or Clint e Stood's boss in in the Line of Fire, two very different things. You know, he's the voice of Harvey Birdman, attorney at law in right, Right, and and with with Lumberg, he's again he's just imitating Mike Judge.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, but it's so iconic.
Speaker 2: That's what I love, right, Like, like you know people do in the Lumberg imitation. I mean everybody gets it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Hey, Peter, what's happening.
Speaker 2: By the way. The thing about the Michael Bolton, I ge't I don't even know how many times I've said some equivalent. Oh, I celebrate his whole catalog.
Speaker 1: Me too, too, I celebrate his whole catalog. So funny, what a funny again, a funny detail. His name could have just been like Jimmy or something. It's like, what if his name is Michael Bolton and that like drives me crazy.
Speaker 2: That's well's what's fun Earlier in the film, right, he talks, he talks about how you know.
Speaker 1: Everything was fine until I was seven.
Speaker 2: Then that no talent ass clown showed up and started winning Grammys and that line. They had to change it because originally it was that no singing asshole, right, and they were like, well, legally he might be like, hey, are you saying I don't sing my own music? Whatever? Right, And so they landed on and I think David Herman said, like his ex girlfriend at the time was like, oh, ask clown, and that sounded funny, and so they made that and I'm like, well, no talent, ask clown is a meaner, but be way funnier.
Speaker 1: Way funnier. I mean, I still think of ask clown, and like, by the way, did you know this? In twenty eighteen, it officially entered Webster's Dictionary. Ask clown, ass clown, That's crazy, that's so funny. No talent ass clown, that's brilliant.
Speaker 2: So now you used to work in a restaurant, not unlike chochkeys.
Speaker 1: You know, thankfully, I would say it was a little different, like we was more like flingers. Yes, well, I worked at a hula hans for people who still have those around, They've closed down all over the country. The one that I used to work at is closed now. But I was on a road trip with my dad recently and I just out of curiosity looked it up and there was still one in Kansas or something, and I was like, Dad, I'm sorry, we have to go off the path just a little bit. I have to have a Brent with chicken sandwich again. But yeah, we had kind of the fun, kitchy stuff on the walls. We definitely had that, you know, a poster of Marilyn Monroe next to you know, like a reindeer with sunglasses on or something. But like we didn't have the goofy uniforms or the pins or have to be high energy, thankfully.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember the first time I met you was at that restaurant, and you were the opposite of high energy.
Speaker 1: You were.
Speaker 2: You were just dead inside and shoved my food at me. No, you know, it's funny though, I mean you were You're a great server, I should say, just now.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know you're joking, But like, I loved that job. I'm still close friends. I mean, almost twenty years later with some of the people from that place. It was a lightning in a bottle kind of situation with the people there. We all got along. We all hung out outside of work. We would actually go to Fridays because they were open so late after we closed to hang out and grab a beer. It was a awesome experience, the exact opposite of what Annison is going through here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you were you were. You were not unlike the Brian in this movie. As I recalled the first time I saw him, because I was coming from work. I came there from work with a group of my friends. I was like, man, this sucks, and you're like, gig gigy, how can I get you guys?
Speaker 1: You know, it doesn't suck our hall Penu poppers.
Speaker 2: You know. So ste Stephen Root. Stephen Root is in my opinion, one of the great actors working today.
Speaker 1: I mean right through Barry recently. I mean, he's been in so many.
Speaker 2: Different things, so many things, and he just he just it just disappears into the character, right because bear in mind, at the same time he was playing he was filming this movie, he was in the middle of his run on news radio as the Boss. Oh okay, and you talk about two characters, we are as different as different can be, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he.
Speaker 2: Talked about how the these coke bottle glasses were so thick that he had to wear special contacts so that he could see through them.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And even then there was no depth perception, so like he had to rehearse ahead of time where something was. They're so cruel to him, that's the thing. He's so pitiful it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, of course, I mean it's Stapler. I mean that was another line you know much steepler, And then I mean, I'm sure you know this, but the red Stapler. The reason they made it red was because they wanted it to pop on screen, but Swing Line was not making them at the time, and they got so many requests after this movie that now they sell red staplers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and Stephen Root has talked about how whenever he's doing a TV show or whatever and he gets mail, he always gets staplers to sign.
Speaker 1: I want a gift to be an actor, to have that. You know, you've got a thing you're identified with that people want you to sign.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's funny.
Speaker 1: Thinking of the Milton shorts, it's interesting that they were on SNL. I knew about the liquid television thing on MTV, which for people who don't know that was sort of a like a collection of weird you know, like indie style cartoon short films that would just be you know, thirty minutes long on MTV when MTV was really cool and revolutionary and they'd have weird stuff like that, and back in the day, yeah, yeah, but I didn't know that it had been on SNL. That's interesting. It doesn't seem like they take a lot of outsiders work these days.
Speaker 2: Right, well, because I mean back then you had you had the Smigel shorts, right, that was right around then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean Smiggle was an SNL guy, right.
Speaker 2: That's true. I would imagine that, well, hey, here's something from the creator of Beavis and butthead. Of course we want to you know, sure, yeah, Beava's in Butthhead. It was a pretty big deal back then.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess we should talk about that for a minute. I mean, yeah, Beavis and butthead was huge, huge, like just kind of It was one of those things too that I feel like parents hated it immediately because it was these two idiots and they were being destructive and they got into trouble because some of the things they did, you know, yeah, fire fire, Yeah, constantly talking about fire and then apparently like some kid imitating them.
Speaker 2: See there's always some dumb ass little kid got to ruin things for everybody else man seriously.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean yeah, I apparently like burned his place down, influenced by Beavis and Butted, and I think there's an episode where they're throwing things off and overpass onto cars and some kid did that. And but the so at the time, when you're a teenager and you watch Beavis and butt Heead, you're like, it's funny because it's just so dumb and it's kind of appealing to your base instincts. But then when you get older, you're like, oh, this is kind of an amazing satire. Yes exactly, you know exactly. Yeah, yeah, like that was you could see how it could be mistaken for just stupidity.
Speaker 2: But well, and and so Mike Judge parlayed the success of Beaves and butd Heead, and he did a movie by the way, you know, the movie, the animated movie, and that did pretty well. But he was able to parlay that success in the King of the Hill, which was a pretty big hit for Fox at the time, and so live action was certainly the next Frontier.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And and it is disappointing that that the movie, you know, it didn't didn't play, but there is justice in the fact that it eventually, you know, it was recognized. What it did?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And and this this bit right here where they're talking to Peter and Peter, the way Peter breaks down his day, Yeah, like like that is so fascinating, right, because again, I I'm serious, I I the way he describes it, and then earlier in the movie when he's talking to to Samir and Michael and he's like, you want to be doing this when you're fifty? I mean that was something that definitely weighed on me as I thought about what what do I want to do once I'm out of school? You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, this is so great just walks just watch it right round. Well, and I love too that he's in his evaluation meeting Peter and he he ends it, yep, that's right, Okay, Well we're We're I'm good.
Speaker 2: So here's Mike Judge as as stand the manager.
Speaker 1: I mean, what a voice, you know what I mean, It's such a who else could play this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's what he found?
Speaker 1: Got your flair?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he this is. He talked about about how like they were reading a bunch of people, but everybody was going too big with it, and he kept he kept trying to articulate the voice that he was hearing in his head and ultimately was like, look, I can, I can do it.
Speaker 1: You know, that must be really difficult when you're a person like him who creates these characters who are so subtle, like they aren't very broad, They're a real specific type, and that must be hard when you're like, what, you know, not my tempo.
Speaker 2: Well and to his credit, not quite my tempo this way, I'm triggered now. Mike Judge, to his credit, talked about how he put himself on tape like he auditioned for this role.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Interesting, It wasn't like all right, nobody else can do it. He's like, I think maybe I can, you know. And then and then the casting director is like, no, no, you got it, You're good, you know yeah, And it's it's sort of this between Stan and Lumberg. We've all had either one of those two guys as boss at some point.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, yeah, I mean the flair thing. I can't believe what you were saying that that wasn't part of the script because it it's it's very memorable comedically, but it really speaks to a lot of truthful things that you can apply to other types of jobs. I mean, first of all, having to put on this persona that isn't you, yeah, you know, and present in a way that which is false and sort of you know, makes you feel dead inside. That's one thing. But that whole conversation they just had where he's like, I want to talk to you about your flare. You know, you need this amount of pieces. She's like, I have that amount of pieces. He's like, well, but you could be going the extra mile.
Speaker 2: You see.
Speaker 1: So you are doing exactly what we asked you, But why aren't you doing more?
Speaker 2: Why aren't you doing more? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember for me it was I was at this one job and it would be six or six thirty or whatever. It was like quitting time, but you didn't want to be the first person out the door even though it was quitting time, And so I would sit there and I would wait, who's going to be the first person to leave so I can leave second? Just one of those stupid things where it's like and my job was I did what I needed to do. I'd probably been done for you know, a couple hours. Yeah, but it's just the weird politics of an office.
Speaker 2: I remember when I was when I was in college, I worked for a wedding videography studio and my job was I would come in during the week and I would edit videos and and you know, they would have shoots on the weekends. And I was told I was hired, well, you want to go on one one shoot a month. And I was like okay, and I would do my shoot a month, and then after a few months it was like, well, why aren't you doing more shoots. I'm like, well, I'm doing the one that you asked me. Well, don't you want to do more? I'm like not really, you know, It's it's odd, right, Like, well, that's I'm doing the one that you asked me to So it's very relate to that.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmm hm. That's a good camera move there, yep. Spinning it around, putting in between the guys like everyone else has been Lumberg. Now he's on trial. Yeah, the thing where where like.
Speaker 2: Mcginley's kind of like about to jump out of his chair a little bit, and he has to hold him back and yes, right, reports I love.
Speaker 1: This too, that damn shock at the door handle and so okay, so damn it feels good to be a gangster. Like, I mean, I think we all know this song because of this movie. And that was another thing where Fox was like not sure about using the gangster rap in the movie. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Tom Rothman, who has had a Fox at the time, was essentially his own Bill Lumberg. He's like, I'm not really sure.
Speaker 1: Right, but I guess. Mike Judge said, well, okay, well let's put it, leave it in, Let's do a test screening, and let's see how people respond to it. And he said that a guy in a focus group said that he liked that the characters worked in an office and listened to the rap music, like that was something he liked about the movie. Like he related to that and stayed in well and an iconic part of the film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike Judge talked about that specific experience, or he said number one, He's like, what I should have said was, look, if you take it out, then I'm like take my name off the movie, Like, but he didn't have the courage to do that. Sure, so he's like, I put myself in this position. So they're doing this test screening and Mike Judge and you know, they're sitting in the back and Tom Rothman is like pacing the hall and he talks about how there was like about twenty people who had watched the movie and the person, the woman who was sort of moderating the responses, did everything possible to taint the result. That's funny because she'd be like, so what did you think of it? Everybody's like whoa, And it's like did you like the music? Who did you like all the rap?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Are you sure? Are you sure?
Speaker 2: It wasn't too much?
Speaker 1: You know? What about a version of the movie that doesn't have the red.
Speaker 2: And literally Mike Judge is like face palming in the back, you know, And he talked about it. He's like the person who is like some nineteen year old kid, And I'm like, yeah, that was our people.
Speaker 1: We got it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, who got it? I mean that's the humor is that, Like Michael Bolton thinks he's some hard case and he's just this dorky soft engineer.
Speaker 1: Of those two not even looking up now playing Tetris. Yep, you're bothering, bothering me. But you know, it really does also speak to a moment in time where I mean I remember being a white kid in the suburbs and I was listening to NWA. Yeah, like I related to that, you know, Oh sure, I get it. I got a meeting with the Bobs.
Speaker 2: Yeah. To me, Bill Lumberg is the personification of of sort of what's the phrase, the banality of evil? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, sure, you know, because because he presents in this low key, low energy, non threatening way, and yet what he represents is just oppression, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yep, yeah, you know. Looking at it now, I mean the only color on the screen is the human's flesh. Like it's like there's so many tones of gray, you know. But it's I feel like they really found the perfect balance where it is still watchable and not depressing, but the effect, the intended effect, is still coming across.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean this movie really is just lightning in a bottle.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and and obviously I mean it is laugh out loud, funny, it's quotable and everything else. But but you know, like that scene that we saw with with Milton right and and oh and by the way, this right here, say I've been missing it, Bob.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've been missing a lot of work lately. I wouldn't say I've.
Speaker 2: Been missing it, but you know where where where the the the Paul Wilson characters, like some of your Naga We're not gonna work here anymore anyway. Yeah, he just he just made that up. Wow, really, and that's hilarious.
Speaker 1: I'm watching it. I mean that is wow. That's pretty.
Speaker 2: That's pretty.
Speaker 1: That's a great line.
Speaker 2: That's where mcginley's like, it was just jazz. I mean, they were just going back and forth. I'd love to see all the outtakes, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. You know you said at the beginning that there's only one cut of this. I'm glad it is all it needs to be. It is perfect. It's a perfect little jewel of a comedy. But I yeah, no, I would love to I would like to see deleted scenes, just out of curiosity, like just other observations that they made that we missed out on. But I don't need them. I don't want them in the movie, but I'm curious what they are. Yeah, it was a little hand gesture. I mean they're on fire. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I love McGinley, Like earlier with the Gary Coley, He's like, hold on their professor. Yeah, I think I say that all the time too, you know. But underlying that, right, that's like, oh, Milton, for some reason he's working here. We don't know why he's still drawing a paycheck. So we're just gonna stop giving him his pay and it'll work.
Speaker 1: Itself out, right.
Speaker 2: And that's obviously an extreme, you know, sort of cartoonish example, and yet that's not too far removed from how people are treated, right, you know, they say it earlier, we're going to tell them Friday at the end of the day. That way, there's less likelihood of an incident, you know. And and just the way people are are boiled down to statistical probabilities of what they might do. How can you feel valued in a situation like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, I remember, I mean, this isn't quite that. But I was at a job and I was desperate for work at the time, and so I just was like, okay, great, five days a week, I'm getting paid. And he gave me a salary and it was very low, but I was like whatever. And then I started thinking about it. I was like, this is really low, and so I had to do my own research, and I found out I was getting woefully underpaid, so I had to create this little presentation. I went in and met with my boss and they're like, oh wow, yeah, I know you're right, and so then they bumped it up a bit. But it's like no one cares, Like if I hadn't done the research, if I hadn't made the presentation, if I hadn't had the evidence to show them, like, this isn't insane the discrepancy here. It's like, what do they care?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean why would they? Yeah, you know, the whole bit with the little scheme they cook up the chair on top is where where Michael's like, oh, I got it from Superman three, underrated movie by the way, yeah, which again it's such a specific reference.
Speaker 1: I know, well I love it, and I would imagine I don't know this, but Mike Judge probably thought like, well, I don't know, what if they just do the thing for Superman three. You know, it's kind of relatable, well, because it is so probable, yep, the fact that a company might not notice a couple fractions of a cent that they're losing. But there's like, well, what if someone collected that. Yeah, I don't know, I find those things. Sometimes people go too far when they make references to other movies, but I find this one very relatable and something I'd be like, oh yeah, well Superman three, Yeah, okay, yeah, why don't we try that? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, apparently somebody actually enacted a scheme very similar to this, just a couple of years ago, really, and and got several hundred thousand dollars. And when when investigators were searching on his computer, they found a file labeled office space plan or something to that effect.
Speaker 1: Guy, why don't you, dude, oh man, oh man, look at that though.
Speaker 2: Five years of your mid twenties is now gone, think about that, like I'm I'm like, man, when I saw this, my mid twenties were still you know, had half a decade away. Yeah, same, yeah, now my mid twenties or twenty years ago, Brian, my god.
Speaker 1: Wait, so the guy got caught then, and then he I mean.
Speaker 2: That I don't know, but he did indeed get caught.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean, obviously you shouldn't steal and whatever, but you know, maybe he's my Luigi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm curious. Actually, Okay, so this is let's see if I can find a story about it.
Speaker 1: But even just like his apartment, look at that. I mean that's just like that stock you know, you got those vertical blinds, nothing on the walls, like it just feels like a cookie cutter apartment sort of thing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole the whole thing about prisons and conjugal visits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it too. Where Weir's like, I'm not doing anything illegal. He's like illegal, Samir, this is America.
Speaker 2: This isn't Riod, you know which. You know I lived in Riad when I was living outside Arabia? Did you really I did?
Speaker 1: Oh wow? Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this is the story from This is from the New York Times about the This is Office Space inspired engineer's theft scheme. Police say, wow, mister Castro, former software engineer for the e commerce site's zulily edited code to divert shipping fees to a personal account and manipulate product prices, stealing about two hundred and sixty thousand dollars in electronic payments and more than forty thousand in merchandise.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, Well I don't condone that manipulating prices and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean those yeah, yeah, according to a police report, and a document found on mister Castro's work laptop referred to the scheme as quote office space project.
Speaker 1: What was he thinking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there you go.
Speaker 1: You know what, though, maybe that's the type of person who would do that sort of thing. Yeah, right, you know what I mean, most people have more common sense.
Speaker 2: I think the rest of us just watched this movie and live vicariously through exactly exactly that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's funny, this whole money scheme thing. You think about trying to make a story out of your work experiences. It's one thing to have. I mean, ninety page is worth of funny jokes that everyone can understand or relate to. But you do have to have a plot, right, right, And so I mean this this plot is pretty loose, you know, it's enough to me, And it's funny because it is a plot that I actually remember. Sometimes you watch a movie and you just remember the jokes and don't remember what the actual, you know, stakes were. But I do remember this, And maybe it has to do with the Superman three of it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah maybe, although you you saw Superman three much later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean that joke made it stick in my mind. That they ripped it off from some movie they saw, and when they don't even know what money laundering is, they have to up in the dictionary.
Speaker 2: This sequence, by the way, this montage and the whole to his face, that's a meme all by itself.
Speaker 1: I know, it's so good the scheme.
Speaker 2: Look at that, look at that that floppy disc. I know, I know there's a there's a time capsule right there.
Speaker 1: But again, like the the rap, the hardcore rap music here is just so perfect. Then like the bullet sounds when he's clicking his mouse, Yep, it's hilarious. Funny is such a mundane.
Speaker 2: That's the thing, right is is the studio. It just didn't get the wavelength this movie was on. Like the rap is what makes it so much funnier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: The idea that like like do you remember the trailer for this No, Like the trailer had had fat boy slim.
Speaker 1: Okay, like.
Speaker 2: And it it like if you watch it now, you're like, oh my god, it just doesn't work like it is it is not representing the comedy in this movie. Well yeah, yeah, trying to make it feel like a high energy bop exactly. That's exactly you know, and and I think I think if I were to guess, oh, this whole thing.
Speaker 1: By the way, so funny, it's so dark.
Speaker 2: He tries to kill himself. He's like ahead, I want to live, and he eats my car. You know that's I I truly like, I'm just like, you know, it was just ahead of its time, but like this was the type of humor that we liked back then.
Speaker 1: I know. Well, and maybe if you're a smart executive, sometimes it's good to go with something you don't get because that means it's ahead of the curve. Yeah, you know, like I the what the studio was probably hoping for so funny right there.
Speaker 2: They were probably hoping for a something about Mary totally, yes, because that was just the year prior. Yeah about not even not even a year. It was like six months earlier. And both movies are very funny, but they're on completely different wavelengths.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely, right, dude. I mean, you couldn't cast that guy better. Yep, he's that guy. I've met that guy.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: By the way, I love the line when they you know again, we got this hardcore rap music playing. It's in slow motion. They're doing freeze frames as they you know, pass over the floppy disk and then when it's all done, they collect and the Bolton's like, wow, that was easy.
Speaker 2: It makes such a big deal out of it. It's like huh okay. So, of course, probably the most famous scene in the movie right here, iconic, yeah, with the printer. Yep, look at how it's shot right, so great Samir's kick. What I love is that like Peter is kind of like hanging back. He's the mob boss, you know, he's the boss.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: And there's this great bit where where Samir like, yeah, right here, right here, where he's about to do he uses the bat to make him stand back right there, and they beat the ship out of this printer.
Speaker 1: Man, have you I mean, I think it goes about saying, but have you had a printer experience that made you want to do this?
Speaker 2: Oh? I just most technology, you know.
Speaker 1: Man, this is so funny. Fists have to pull him away.
Speaker 2: Mike Judge talked about how when they were filming this that that scene and again he's he's a first time director and he tells David Herman just go ape ship, just like jump up and down. And I guess he slipped at one point and nearly like freaking like lacerated a vein, you know, And the DP goes to Mike Judge's like, hey, closer on mister Landis. Oh geez, It's is a reference to John Landis.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, so that's where my crew is at. But dude, I will never forget. When I was at College of DuPage, which is where we met, I had, like, you know, one of those like dot printer things with the perforated edges with the holes on the side, and it would, you know, I'd be writing my paper at the last minute, having to print it off go straight to school, and it would jam up or stick or something wouldn't work. And I remember, even before this movie, I think I must have been post but I wanted to kill this printer. And when I was done with it, yeah, I was going to throw it away. And I remember I was going to beat the crap out of it, like with a bat, and my dad, my dad actually was like, Brian, no, that's that's violent. And it's funny because as recently as a year ago, I told him I still do this day regret that I didn't do it. I still think about that printer. I hate it, and I think there's a little anger that still lives inside of me because he didn't let me get it out.
Speaker 2: That is really funny, now, I I love that Joanna is like kind of the conscience of the film here. Yes, yeah, you know, because we do need her voice to kind of be like, well, no, it's still not.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, well you're it's stealing. He's like, well, it's not quite like stealing. She's like, no, it's literally stealing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I love it too because she hates her job too. It's not like she's in some sort of happy place exactly like she well, I hate my job too, but I'm not gonna steal, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like I I like that that little bit of texture. You know.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: We should say. By the way, Jennifer Aniston, you know, obviously the you know, she was a superstar at the time that this came out, but like it it's you know, like Rachel is so like sexy and glamorous, right, But I love how Joanna is kind of like girl next door cute totally.
Speaker 1: That's the thing I mean, for putting a star in this movie in just a more minor role, she does fit right in. She gets right into the tone, like she gets what they're doing here, and it's nice that she doesn't try to do something bigger.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She went to high school with David Herman. Oh funny and yeah, so she talked about this how she was a sophomore and he was a senior and he was like already well known for being funny and she always like kind of had a thing for him.
Speaker 1: How funny.
Speaker 2: Right, And then and then after this movie came out, you know, it tanked in theaters, but then gradually they found out all these people liked it and and Madonna apparently liked the movie, right, So she wanted to meet with Mike Judge. So she meets Mike Judge and she's like, you know how I really liked and he's like, ooh Milton's She's like, no, no, that Michael Bolton guy. You're so sexy, damn dude of your David Herman like right, Jeffery Aniston, Ma, Donna. So so Mike Judge told it, like he he goes back to I think they're probably did King of the Hill, and he tells David Herman the story, and David Herman's like, listen, you have to be the one to always tell that story because nobody will believe if I'm.
Speaker 1: Right right, Yeah, I tell it all the time, Like, please make this part of you when any talk show you're on. Man, this to me is one of the it's not like one of the most memorable, but to me, this is one of the funniest jokes in the entire movie. Where you have this guy and he's in the worst possible shape you can imagine. He's in a wheelchair, he's in a body cast. He's got like a brace on his neck drilled into his head, and he doesn't have to work anymore, and he goes, dreams do come true? Just look at me, like that is so funny to me. Yeah, he's happy, he's free. It doesn't matter that he's in this brace and screws drilled in his.
Speaker 2: That's so funny, brilliant. It just looks like Texas, it really does.
Speaker 1: They're talking to the like lawyer guy, consible, conjugal visis I'm not so sure guys like kick someone's ass or becomes it everything ask.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Oh, it's just.
Speaker 1: This subtlety ugh oh man, we need we need another mic judge joint.
Speaker 2: We really do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you watch Silicon Valley?
Speaker 2: No, it's on my list, I do, And I would say that's probably reflective of the current, you know, work environment as much as this was twenty five years.
Speaker 1: Ago, I recommend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I heard, I heard, but you know, so, yeah, you were talking about Severance. I mean Severance was inspired by Office Space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, dude, the guy talk about that.
Speaker 2: The creator Yeah, yeah, literally cited office Space as an inspiration.
Speaker 1: Oh funny. Yeah, Oh that's great. By the way, I just, for what it's worth, the guy's drinking an MGD there. When I was twenty one and working at Hulahans and going to TGI Fridays afterwards, I don't know why I didn't have a beer. I didn't really underage drink much, and so I was like, uh, I think I saw someone with an MGD and I was like MGD, and like somehow that became my beer. And they don't sell it out here really, and so whenever I go back to the Midwest, I'm always like MGD please. So it's kind of funny seeing him drink it here touch at home, yeah exactly, I guess in the South here, but so the whole, the whole thing with with Joanna having slept with Lumberg.
Speaker 2: Originally it was actually Lumberg.
Speaker 1: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: Interesting, and they they changed that. I think I think smartly. I would say.
Speaker 1: I think so too, because we are conditioned to not like this person, and it would you know what I mean, we don't want her associated with him, the guy who would let someone work without getting paid and put them into a basement with a single exactly right.
Speaker 2: And and her point is well made, like, well, I knew him two years ago before, you you know, it doesn't matter. But that was I find it interesting. That was a studio note, and you know, sometimes the studio does give good notes.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Although one of their notes was was Peter isn't smiling enough? And I just find that fascinating on so many levels because I'm like, what, what do you think this movie's about? Right? Apparently that was the the pressure that they were putting on Mike Judge, like make him smile more, find somebody else to play him. And Livingston knew nothing about this, and he thought out.
Speaker 1: That's good because it would in his head.
Speaker 2: He would get in his head. Right, But that's the beauty of it is. He plays the movie completely straight, and that's what makes it funny, right, the whole the So this right here with with Gary Cole where he's shirtless, and I was just as I'm watching this sequence, I'm like, what was that like to film?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Totally right, Like somebody's got their feet up and you know, there's Gary Cole with his shirt off, and I'm like, it's that just a normal day of shooting.
Speaker 1: You know that's true? He is at work? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I imagine that would be kind of awkward.
Speaker 2: Like I suspect whoever's legs they are, they probably had some pants that were hiked up there. Sure, sure, yeah like that, but regardless, a weird shot to frame right, totally yeah. Mike Judge talked about how this character stand was specifically inspired by somebody that he saw while he was at I don't want to say, like a Kinko's or something like that, just being really like passive aggressive, belittling some young lady who's working there. Oh interesting, And he was like, God, what an asshole? And so that became this character.
Speaker 1: Man. That's the trick, isn't it like to take all the things you observe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's the that's the sort of interesting thing because because in these scenarios, right, if you're a manager at a at a little local eatery like this, or if you're a mid you know, middle management at some company, you sort of you you you want to project power, and so that manifests in these kind of passive aggressive ways, right right, and and definitely like I I I look at this, and I'm like, well, I never want to be like that ever, you know. And and and yet again, like I said earlier, I mean, we've all had those bosses, you know. I know.
Speaker 1: It's funny because it's so opposite of how I feel, where if I was mistreated, I want to be the guy who does things differently that's right, and makes someone else's experience different than the one that I had. It's just fascinating that so many people then flip that and like, well now it's my turn. Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 2: It's kind of well, you know, it's a Mike Judge described Lumberg as sort of embodying the Peter principle, right, which is that people sort of reach their their maximum level of what's the word, like they sort of max out at wherever they are in terms of what they're not able to do. So you move through an organization, you reach a point where you're like, you're not really suited for that, and you just kind of end up stuck there, right, And so at any given stage of an organization like this, you've got people in charge who are not suited to do that job. M yeah, it just sounded like lumbers.
Speaker 1: I know. I actually I realized that as I did, but it's yeah, that makes a lot of sense. And I mean I feel like you see that a lot of movie studios where it's like, sure, well these people have worked their way, they've put in their time, or they're done something kind of impressive, so they put them in these roles that they might not actually be suited for. Yeah, you know, making creative choices and things. Here we go.
Speaker 2: This is the actual quote. So the book is called the Peter principle, developed by Lawrence J. Peter, which observes that people in a hierarchy tend to rise to quote a level of respective incompetence. Employees are promoted based on their success in previous jobs until they reach a level at which they are no longer competent, as skills in one job do not necessarily translate to another, and then they just kind of stay there.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Oh man, it just sounds depressing you just talking about it, right, But maybe because of the images I'm looking at on the screen too. So we have this like birthday, you know, off birthday gathering and.
Speaker 2: They're singing it like it's a funeral.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, yess. Have you ever been in with your job like this kind of birthday group passing around cake kind of situation?
Speaker 2: No, I haven't, you know, because because for twenty years I've been a teacher, and most of my job involves going from one school to another. So I have my set schedule. I go, I do my thing, I leave, you know. Yeah, And on the one hand, that can be sort of isolating, Yeah, but there's also something gratifying about, you know, I've got a specific task I have to go, I have to impart this lesson. I do that, and then I move on, you know, yep, and I get to see the results of my work. And I managed to sidestep a lot of the you know, corport office type stuff that I just would not have a particularly interest in, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I gotta say, I mean I've been pretty recently even I've been at places that have done birthday things like that. I actually I think they're great. I think what that scene is really trying to convey is what I was talking about earlier with the you know, we're we have record profits. Here's like a Domino's pizza, you know, that kind of thing. But yeah, I've actually kind of appreciated when they try to make special events and bring in desserts and you know, you know, like, hey, it's a holiday, like so we got you guys you know from like Portos down the street, brought in some pastries or something. It's always nice.
Speaker 2: You have to imagine that a lot of the last twenty five years, companies have looked at office space and tried to avoid its. Example, Yeah, you know, sort of like music biopics look at Dewey Cox and try to avoid what that movie does.
Speaker 1: You know, I think you're totally right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if if Fridays is like okay, no more flair, you know, right right?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I wonder how many people were coming in and commenting on it and sort of laughing about.
Speaker 2: It right after this movie, acting like like Brian the Server, you know, you know, not not you, Brian, Brian, no, no, no, yeah yeah yeah yeah, this right here, they're looking up with laundering.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like, we have all this money, what do we do? Well, we could try to launder it. Yeah, yeah, what is that so relatable? It's funny because I mean I know what it is now, but I remember seeing this for the first time and being like, yeah, I don't know what money laundering is.
Speaker 2: I've heard about it, I've heard tell.
Speaker 1: It's funny. I want to tell a story, but then Orlando Jones is coming up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have to wait for I don't want to stuff on it.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. It's such a small role, but it's so so makes such an impact.
Speaker 2: I can't even tell how many times in my life. You know, my name is Steve.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's right right now.
Speaker 2: I'm off for trying to stay clean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which apparently he said that he was imitating his niece the way that she would sell Girl Scott cookies.
Speaker 2: Going door to door.
Speaker 1: That's so funny, isn't that funny? I mean you think about it now, you're like, oh, yeah, he is kind of imitating like a kid.
Speaker 2: Hi, my name is Steve, so both Orlando Jones and David Herman were on Matt TV when that show first started. That's that's cool, and they were the ones when that show first started. They were the ones. I was like, these guys are hilarious.
Speaker 1: You know, I love to Yeah. They're like, wait, wait, wait, you have like a criminal background. Cuts him like, look, guys, we're asking you to do it. We just want to know how to do it. That's a clever little button where he now is aware of their crime, and so he's like, all right, well do something for me.
Speaker 2: So funny.
Speaker 1: Wait, did you ever have to sell magazines? Did you ever do that for school?
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had to do that. It was a fundraiser. Now I think about it, I wonder what that money went toward. Yeah, yeah, because you know, that was the thing you had the kids whose parents would bring the catalog to school and get all their coworkers to do it. My dad was like, I don't want to make my coworkers and I have to buy a magazine for my kids. And it's funny because at the time I was like, but dud, yeah, But now I'm like, yeah, yeah, I mean I totally I respect that.
Speaker 2: That's really funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we would get you know, some sort of like waterproof.
Speaker 2: Forty subscriptions to vibe. Yeah. No, the the what you're describing, Like, I totally am. If I'm the coworker who's forced to like look at the kids subscriptions, I'd be like, oh god, you know, so I respect your dad for being like, no, I'm not going to put them through that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny. I'm like debating and telling a story. All right, I'm just gonna tell it. So, So I was at this job and they would have like a birthday call, okay, right, and so it was like over like zoom, right because of COVID stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh sure.
Speaker 1: And so they wanted to do something because we used to do the in person birthday things where we'd get together around a table and have cake and stuff. So they wanted to make it fun still over zoom. So they asked a couple of us to record a song. So me and some people covered the Beatles birthday song. They say it's your Birthday and made a video and we're in the video, you know, like wow, thank God, not dancing or anything. It's just still images of us holding our guitars and basses and things. Anyway, so I played like once a month, and it would be like kind of embarrassing but also kind of amusing to me just seeing this thing play every month on our birth they calls and then I am no longer at this place, but I have people telling me that they still play the video. So even though like almost everyone in that video has moved on, that video once a month continues to live a life somewhere with people having to get together for this zoom birthday gathering.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow, Okay, that's kind of nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's funny. I feel like I read something about this Judge, but I've forgotten it, and that's a terrible anecdote.
Speaker 2: That Judge, the actor I know him from he's in Spider Man.
Speaker 1: Oh, who's your play?
Speaker 2: He's like he's the head of or he's like part of the os Corp board. You know.
Speaker 1: He's like, you're out, Norman. Oh that's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he says, okay, you know, and he does his little Willem Dafoe does his does his evil evil look at him?
Speaker 1: Does he turn into a cartoon skeleton?
Speaker 2: He does? He's certainly does at that.
Speaker 1: So you know what's interesting. I read that judge says he wish he wishes he could go back and redo the third act.
Speaker 2: I was gonna mention this, Yeah, do you know what he means specifically, dude, I was about to say, I don't know what he's talking about, because I think it all comes together with a nice little bow wrapped around it.
Speaker 1: I kind of think it's perfect. I mean, maybe the Peter Joanna thing's a little thin or something or makes him look a little like unkind towards her, but like, yeah, the whole scheme thing seems perfect.
Speaker 2: But with regards to that, I really like how they tie that relationship up, you know, I think it's very sweet.
Speaker 1: Exactly he grows up a little bit. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that for me, And you know, this is a conversation. You and I tend to have a lot, you know. I appreciate when your character has a moral compass and the fact that the resolutionist movie ultimately revolves around the main character making a choice to do the right thing and accept whatever consequences will come. The fact that those consequences don't come is irrelevant to the fact that he did make that decision and he did follow through on it.
Speaker 1: I think that exactly exactly. Yeah, I agree, I do love that. That's very clever and it's ultimately satisfying. Yeah, he was willing to turn himself in.
Speaker 2: This right here, right where what she's telling him like, you know, maybe you don't you'll, maybe you'll never like your job, but you have to go find the thing that that will make you happy. And that's I mean, that's the eternal dilemma in a nutshell, right, Like, when you talk about going into the workforce, you're talking about something that you're committing to essentially for the rest of your life, right, and that's overwhelming, right, Yeah, And so finding that that that balance, I mean, you know we were just talking earlier, the work life balance. What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Tricky? You know.
Speaker 2: You know my oldest son, you know, and now he's applying to colleges and things like that and looking at what he's going to do. And one thing I've said is, look, you know they say, oh, if you do what you love, you'll never work a day in a life, so or do what you love, And I'm like that's not really always true, right, I'm like, do what you like, sure, do something that you like doing. Yeah, it doesn't have to be your entire identity, but it should be something that you don't mind doing right and that you can make a living doing.
Speaker 1: You know, yep, I agree with that. It's tough.
Speaker 2: I love that bit right there. He puts the envelope under the door and we just there's a beat and you see him dive across trying to get it back.
Speaker 1: But to your point, I mean, yeah, his confession, it's so perfect because he was willing enough to do it, and he did do it. But it's very relatable, like have I made a mistake but it's too late, like he okay, I will accept the consequences of man, whatever happens. But what's so great and satisfying this being a comedy and we don't really want to see him go to jail or something. Is it's a clever conceit then that it gets burnt up. That's right. So yes, he was willing to grow and do the right thing, but we also get the fun of him not having to pay for it. That's right. And it becomes as a result of a runner from the entire movie with Milton threatening to burn the building down.
Speaker 2: Because of that Stapler, I'm very curious what I said, why did Lumberg take that stapler? What a dick? I know, I know there's no reason to do that, but yeah, you're right, Like I I don't know it. It doesn't feel particularly rushed or or thrown together, you know, m hm, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just just curious if he had a different idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, speaking of Milton, I was reading about Mike Judge and how much he hated the marketing campaign for the movie. I do remember the poster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, with the with the post it's on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a man and it looks like covered and post its. Yeah yeah. Judge was like, well, he looks like a mummy or a big bird or a beat keeper. Like it's very confusing. Yeah, and then he said, I guess the tagline is works.
Speaker 2: By the way, real quick, we have to appreciate one of one of the best lines and the best line deliveries right here. Watch out for your corn hole, Bud. It's good advice, Brian, good advice in this life, I'll tell you. But yeah, no, I think, well no, yeah, so the guy covered in post it notes it says work sucks, and Judge was like, it looks like a home depot ad or an office depot ad and uh so then he insisted when it came out on home video that.
Speaker 1: They add a character to it. So that's why you have Milton peeking out from behind that post.
Speaker 2: Well he wasn't even crazy about that.
Speaker 1: It's very yeah, no, I agree, it's very subtle. And also it's like your weirdest character.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, you know, it's funny when we talk about Ron Livingstone and just sort of the right tone that he found. Mike Judge again, he talked about how, you know, he had people coming in reading and they were doing like Dawson's Creek style line readings and like really just like you know, like like really just overly dramatic, you know. Yeah, And what you realize is, God, there are so many pit stops along the highway that could.
Speaker 1: Utterly wreck your movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you have to you have to have an iron clad concept of what you are trying to do and stick to it no matter what.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Right, Like, Okay, the movie tanked initially and it did whatever it did. But at the very least Mike Judge gets to say, look, I made the movie I wanted to make, and history has been on my side. Yeah, yeah, right, as opposed to selling out whichever way, and you're like, well it flopped and I don't like this, that and the other thing, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yep, which really says something about his station in this moment that he was able to do that. Yeah. That executives weren't crazy about a lot of the decisions, but they're like, well, Mike Judge's hot right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean we're talking about Tom Rothman, and I mean, to his credit, I think Tom Rothman, you know, during the time he was heading up Fox was somewhat of a controversial figure, you know, for some of the decisions you would make with regards to the big franchise and stuff. But at least when it came to this movie, he pushed, he pushed back, but he ultimately trusted Mike Judge. You know, the thing we were talking about with the Gangster app for example, he said, look, okay, if the audience goes with it, then we'll leave it. He never brought it up again after that, and so you have to give the guy credit, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true, and it is nice seeing Peter find his thing. Yes here at the end, I mean, he's when he has the free time, he wants to be outdoors, he wants to be fishing, do things with his hands. So this feels like a good fit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's to.
Speaker 1: Work construction and it's a fun little you know, getting to see that he's actually fixing the building that burned down and finds Milton Stapler and.
Speaker 2: It's good, nice little little koda. Oh, it's perfect and perfect last line for the character.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I say it all the time like him.
Speaker 2: That's the other thing, by the way, is they wanted to I mean, not unreasonably. The studio wanted to make this a PG. Thirteen and obviously the sheer, you know, the panorama of cussing makes that absolutely unfeasible. But David Herman himself was like, I will make sure this is a.
Speaker 1: Rated R movie. It's really funny. It's funny. It's one of those movies where I don't really think about it. It's just maybe because it is a natural fit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's exactly it, you know, And so much of the dialogue is quotable, including the swears. You just roll with it.
Speaker 1: Seeing Milton got a happy ending.
Speaker 2: Too, exactly well, and well, it is a little bit like the end of Silence of the Lambs where Hannibal Lecter is out in the world, because you're like this, this pyromaniac is now you know, running free.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's kind of a terrorist.
Speaker 2: So doesn't this end credit sequence remind you of the movies we used to make.
Speaker 1: Yes exactly? Yeah, yeah, well, meaning that we would show like a little box, yeah, with the character inside doing something with the name on the side. That's how we used to do our stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so for those listening, you know, Brian and I and our little code rat of fellow fellow miscreants. We'd grab a camera and run around shooting hoping. I mean literally, the stuff we made was was after Office Space, so I have to imagine that it was at least tacitly inspired by this, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, probably. I've always been a fan of it. I mean, in the right circumstance, some of we shouldn't have them, but you know, like Predator and the Predator something kind of fun about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seeing the actual people. So in terms of the box office, you know, this movie cost ten million and had twelve point two million when all of a sudden done. So it is a loss, but it's not a staggering loss, and it's like, can't we have more ten million dollar swings?
Speaker 1: Oh man? Seriously?
Speaker 2: Right, Like, even in this day and age, ten million dollars would get you another movie such as Office Space.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm gonna date this commentary, but I saw a movie recently called Presence, which is a Steven Soderberg movie, and I want to say it was made for like three million dollars. And the whole idea is it's a movie from the point of view of a ghost in a house. So the entire film is the camera is the ghosts POV and there's a family living there and the ghost is moving around and doing class and observing things.
Speaker 2: That sounds really interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and three million bucks, you know what I mean, Like, you what do you got to lose? And it makes sense. It's just in one house, you got four actors, you know, And yeah, I wish that major studios would support reasonable swings like that more often.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, what have you got to lose?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I mean that's ten million dollars is chump change in the big picture. And I would say, after twenty five years, they've made that money back, like they're you know, what I mean this, this movie does not no longer belongs in the loss column. Absolutely, yeah, right, And and you know, sometimes it's worth it, you know. I wish I wish we'd get more of these. You know, I think this is kind of a singular film, and it's hard to think of something as singularly clever as this in the in the in the interim, you know, about the same subject.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean, when you spend less, you can take bigger swings. And it's nice that we get to see Mike Judge's voice unfiltered here, and we think about all the people who have brilliant, observational kind of voices that a lot of people would enjoy seeing and support and make it a success. But we don't get to see those people because either they don't have the opportunity or because a large amount of he's being spent they have to change everything and make something that fits in a box that happens to be popular at the moment, and then we miss out, We miss out on office space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we would ended up with the fat boy Slim on the soundtrack for instance, exactly. It wouldn't have been a great fit. No disrespect to fat boy Slim, but it's a.
Speaker 1: Great album, not right for this movie. Yeah. By the way, a credit we're watching the credits now, A credit I've never forgotten. I remember seeing this all the way back in the day. Is it says this film was cut entirely on a computer.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: And I remember back then thinking, yeah, they're starting to do that, Like this isn't that weird crossover moment where I when I was doing film classes at College of DuPage, I was using like decks, editing decks, that's right, right, And I remember Sean had the editing software and I was like, wow, show me how it works. And now that's the industry standard. That's just what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it no longer merits a credit.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: I feel ancient after hearing that.
Speaker 1: I know, a moment in time.
Speaker 2: It really is geez. Yeah, the the lesson here and you know you referred to Austin Powers earlier, and it's almost like both of these movies sort of belong together in that regard, right, because Austin Powers is another one that nobody, nobody watched when it came out initially, and it really did become something magical once it came to home video and then it you know, now, you know, even people haven't seen Austin Powers. No, Austin Powers. Yeah, and you know, it feels like those those are the risks that these studios should be taking more of, as opposed to mounting the umpteenth remake of whatever or the umpteenth sequel to whatever. Right, you know, we never got a sequel to this, thank goodness. Yeah, we don't need it, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Worth mentioning, by the way, that when when when the Office was being brought over to the United States, Mike Judge was involved in the earliest goings. Oh interesting, Yeah, I think I think he he dropped. I mean Greg Daniels, who was his partner on King of the Hill, was in charge of the Office, right, So so Mike Judge was involved in the early stages and I think, uh, you know, some of the commentary about I think it was like he got he was sent like, you know, reviews of the British Office and some of the things like oh it's it's it's to something like oh it's better than that American movie office Space or something like that, and he's like, wow, okay, well, but.
Speaker 1: I feel like he did it. He covered his ground. And when you do Silicon Valley, that's a very different set different.
Speaker 2: And and and let's face it, you would not have the Office without office Space. Yeah, no matter like the British incarnation, you know. But what a movie, man, This was fun. This is a great conversation.
Speaker 1: I don't get tired of this movie. This is one of those ones too. I mean it has burned into my brain. I could probably karaoke a good percentage of it.
Speaker 2: Well, hey, those of you listening, what are your thoughts on Office Space? Let us know. You can email us at Moviefilm Podcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash movie Home Podcast and let us know what do you think of the movie? What do you think of what we said about the movie? Send that our way. We also have a Patreon, Brian.
Speaker 1: That's right. If you head over to patreon dot com slash Moviefilm Podcast and subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done and receive every episode in commentary moving forward absolutely ad free. So your subscription gets you all those things, but it also goes a long way in helping to support us and helps to sustain producing this show. So if you're interested in able, please head over to patreon dot com slash MOVIEFILM podcast and subscribe.
Speaker 2: There you go, and with that on behalf of my partner Brian Home. My name is Zachie Asam. This has been our commentary track for Office Space Kitchen Next time. Thanks Folkes