Speaker 1: A classic eighties movie is getting a sequel. I loved this movie when it first came out. I watched it, but to be honest with you, I can't remember it now what it was.
Speaker 2: I need to rewatch it.
Speaker 3: I know it was a bunch of a bunch of college university, college.
Speaker 1: And they are moving on with their lives, right, yeah, and they were going their separate ways and they were super tighted verse. We're talking about Saint Elmo's Fire.
Speaker 2: Why did this movie.
Speaker 1: Make Georgetown University in that section of Washington, DC so cool and trendy?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Definitely so brob Lowe, who, of course was in the movie. It came out forty years ago, Sandy Wow, forty years ago. He told People Magazine in an interview just this past weekend that they've been working on a script and that it's really really getting good, and his said that the sequel is going to focus on what these characters have done since college, because he's like, it's just as interesting to find out what your life is like after college as it is for when it focused on that timeframe in the movie. Is to what your life is like in college and you're getting out there trying to figure out what you're going to do next.
Speaker 5: So it's revisiting the same characters, and the same.
Speaker 1: Characters could have completely different lives than what they left us with at the end of the movie, because I'm not the same person I was in when I graduated from Colline.
Speaker 5: No, no, not at all.
Speaker 4: But really, apparently the interest in a Saint Almost Fire's sequel really ramped up after McCarthy.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, what's his name?
Speaker 4: Andrew McCarthy released his documentary Brat's What a year or so ago, talking about the Brat Pack, all of them and who.
Speaker 2: Was the one that wouldn't participate. Judd Nelson.
Speaker 5: Judd Nelson, right, no, he is, he is. Yeah, he's in it. I am positive.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at a picture of the cast right now, so in case somehow somebody doesn't know who the Brat Pack is. It consisted of Rob Low, Emilio Estevez, Andrew McCarthy, Deman Moore, Jud Nelson, Andy McDowell, and Ali Sheety.
Speaker 5: Jen Nelson played Alec Newberry.
Speaker 1: Oh that's that's right, boy. Yeah, he doesn't look much. The scene looks very different. They all look older.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right. Mayor Winningham Mayor, she was so.
Speaker 5: Sweet sweet and that small. She was so tiny.
Speaker 2: I wonder who they're gonna have. Are they gonna have the full cast back?
Speaker 4: It says so far everybody from the original film says that they're on board.
Speaker 5: I'll watch it, uh, I definitely will, just to see what's.
Speaker 1: Going on and what they're doing now. Wasn't Rob Low a saxophone player.
Speaker 4: In the He did at once in one scene play the SAgs. You could tell he wasn't actually playing the SAgs but right, but that his character did play. So when is this coming out? Do you have that impart? No, they're just working on the script. That's all we know. But it is moving ahead, and Rob Low said it's getting good.
Speaker 1: All right, So look forward to that. Saint Elmo's Fire Park two. She's Tricia, my name is Sandy. Thanks for being here. Stick around more coming up on Austin Sades Station one O three point one. Ay Koric throwing shade. I don't know if I like this version of Katie Kirk. We'll get to it in a moment. In the story. We love Hey, we love speaking of love, We love hearing from you guys. Text us anytime our number seven three seven three zero one ninety six hundred.
Speaker 2: That's seven three seven three zero one ninety six hundred.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how many ongoing conversations I have with listeners via text. Yeah, I mean I've got them going on, doesn't matter what time of day it is, eight thirty nine o'clock at night.
Speaker 2: People are hit me up because they listen.
Speaker 5: To the podcast right, different times.
Speaker 1: Right, and they hear stuff going on, and you know, like Phil Carlson here, I need to respond to this, just saw it. Sorry about that, Phil. Anyway, I'm texting back and forth with them all the time. Yeah, it's fun so textas at seven three, seven threes zero one ninety six hundred.
Speaker 2: These stories we love from the Lusterhold Studio.
Speaker 5: Here's Tricia Delicia.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 4: So at this point, everybody knows Jeff Bezos and Lauren Sanchez got married in Venice over the weekend, star studded wedding blah blah blah.
Speaker 5: The wedding dress was a bit big question mark.
Speaker 4: Everybody was wondering what Lauren Sanchez's wedding dress would look like, whether or not she was going to be covered or if the ladies were going to be on display like they always always are so it was revealed on a Vogue cover. And here's what Lauren Sanchez said. She said, it's the first formal dress she's worn that actually covered her chest. Lauren Sanchez herself said that, she said, it's a departure from what people expect, but it's very much me. It is truly the first time I've ever seen her chest covered in any photo I've ever seen of her. But I thought their dress was beautiful. Here's what Katie Kuric thought. She put a post up that said, welcome to the eighties, when big hair and conspicuous consumption ruled.
Speaker 5: Apparently tacky is back.
Speaker 2: Katie, don't why you don't need to do that?
Speaker 4: I know, but why are we just let the lady have her wedding.
Speaker 5: Yes, we've already had a conversation about.
Speaker 4: It being very, very expensive, and that's a look of its own.
Speaker 1: To spend that, I said earlier, I think to spend that kind of money is gross, Yeah, just gross.
Speaker 4: But I mean, I don't know, I just think that that was just unnecessarily hateful.
Speaker 2: Like what ad Katie kurrk game from that.
Speaker 1: You put that out there, you hit send, it went out, and then you just go on with your day and what did that accomplish?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: I mean that would be like after our wedding, if people were sending me messages and saying like, we thought your dress was really ugly, right, super tacky, like why it's not your wedding dress? It affects She would no way at all. She did not get ahead with that post. Other than Jack Schlosberg, JFK's grandson, who apparently is a loone.
Speaker 5: He liked it.
Speaker 2: Oh he's only one.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm sure some other people did like it, but Jack Schlosberg's There's been a lot of stories about some of his crazy posts that are kind of out there.
Speaker 2: I've never heard. I need to look into heid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you need to look into him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: You know, people keyboard warriors things they never say to your face. They'll say, you know what I mean right on social media.
Speaker 4: I feel like it when people are unnecessarily mean it's not your wedding. I've been a plenty of weddings that I have not liked the dress that the bride was wearing, and I kept it to myself.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I wonder if like Bezos invited any of his childhood friends, like college buddies or you know, any guys that knew him before he.
Speaker 2: Was Jeff Bezos.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: You know, his mom and dad put like two hundred and fifty grand into him vested into Amazon.
Speaker 2: Oh really ninety seven? Oh yeah, they're gazillionaires now.
Speaker 1: Really, but they put almost everything they had into what he was building, really, which was just a book online bookstore.
Speaker 4: Only big stores all it was. You know, his Bezos is his adopted father's name. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I didn't know that, which is kind of cool. And then his dad, of course, kind of came around after I did he. Yeah, but I don't think he came after mommy or anything like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Boy, that'd be a swing and a mess.
Speaker 4: Right, girl, that's your son, the richest man on the planet.
Speaker 5: You couldn't stick around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you couldn't stick around for a dad coming Well, tis tisk on your tacky Cady Kirk. I think you're better than that, Yeah, I really do. I hold you at a very high level, and I think that's punching down. If you missed the JB and Sandy Show between seven and eight this morning, here's something you missed. I can't believe I've been in Austin for thirty years and never done this, But yesterday Lander and I loaded up, went and did it. I'll tell you what that is just a sec but I want to let you know. Also, a chance for you to win a thousand bucks coming up at nine o'clock this morning.
Speaker 2: Be here for that.
Speaker 1: Also to give us a follow on Instagram and TikTok. It's at JB Sandy at X. Yesterday I went and played golf at Butler Pitching Putt.
Speaker 5: And Old School.
Speaker 2: It is fantastic.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's hard to believe that there is a little bitty nine hole golf course basically in the heart of downtown Austin. It's right at riverside the Barton Springs and Lamar ducked in there kind of behind the other side of the street from Pee Terry's, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you could drive by it and not notice, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you never know it was there if you didn't know.
Speaker 1: And it's a little bitty I think the longest hole on the entire golf course is one hundred and three yards or something like that. You go in, it's super cheap to play kids under eighteen seven dollars adults fourteen dollars. You carry two golf clubs with you and just have a blast. It's awesome. And the people that run it inside the golf shop they call it the amateur shop, because most golf courses call it a pro shop. They call it and they're just nice as can be, like, oh, yeah, first time here, We're glad you're here. Come back, you know, blah blah blah. Met a really nice couple that were here on a little short trip, a little what do you call it your anniversary trip?
Speaker 2: A young couple.
Speaker 1: They had two little girls that are four and two years old, and they were just here by themselves. They left the kids back in Georgia with her mom, paired up with them, had a great time and just walked and hit the golf ball and hit it again till you put it in the hole. But it's great. I mean, it's it doesn't matter if you can't play golf at all or not. It's really really cool.
Speaker 6: You wouldn't have that I haven't done it, but you wouldn't have that intimidation factor that you have on a high like a real golf course, like exactly everyone's probably definite and exactly.
Speaker 1: It doesn't mean anything. You're just out there to have some fun and we're really fortunate. I mean, I can't help but think, and I wish my brain didn't work this way. But it's kind of like the insurance commercials. You can't help becoming your parents. And you're like looking around, going, I wonder how much this land's worth, right.
Speaker 4: You know, I mean it's a big chunk of land and it's right there.
Speaker 6: It's a city. The city owns it, right. And then they did a contract to run it.
Speaker 2: Oh they did. I don't know any of that, to.
Speaker 6: Operate, Oh my understanding, because it changed hands just a pandful of years ago. It changed hands this one family don't run operated it for fifty years and some loophole in the paperwork they didn't get it in and it changed hands. But I think they from what I heard, they injected some life into it. It's great cool, Yeah, it's super cool.
Speaker 1: It's I mean, you could really make a day of it and play the pitch and put and then go across the street literally.
Speaker 2: And play Peter Pan.
Speaker 4: They have funny billboards out too, like you and Landry sent a picture standing in front of a Ron Burgundy billboard that says stay classy, Austin, and there's like a Caddyshack billboard saying out there too.
Speaker 5: It looks very cool.
Speaker 1: It's fun. It's a great thing to do. You're done in a couple of hours too.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's just it's short little holes and you have a good time. And I enjoyed it. There's a lot of fun. I'll definitely go back and play.
Speaker 2: How did your daughter play like? She played pretty good, Actually I was. I was pleasantly surprised.
Speaker 1: She's trying to She's got to learn about putting, like learning how hard to hit it and all that stuff that just takes time. It just takes a little bit of time. But I'm glad that she's showing an interest in playing golf. And now, of course I'm going to go overboard and get her shoes.
Speaker 2: And lessons and and all that stuff.
Speaker 7: But that's probably a really good way to start, because everyone starts and all you think about is the driving range and hitting it far, when the pitching and the putting is more important.
Speaker 1: Exactly, anything in real golf inside of one hundred yards is the most important part of the game. Right right, So, but I was just happy that Austin still has that little pitching putt right in the middle of the city.
Speaker 2: That it's amazing.
Speaker 1: You don't even know it's there, you know when you're when you're driving around it. It's very cool and cheap and and just really well run too. I wish i'd bought a hat or a T shirt or something while I was there, but it just gives me a reason to go back and check it out.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: What's also fun is when like this couple that we were playing with had not spent time in Austin before, so it's fun that like, where are you guys doing?
Speaker 2: Where you stay in?
Speaker 1: And we got done and they were going to lunch and they were walking.
Speaker 2: They were going to grab an uber somewhere. They were staying at the JW.
Speaker 1: Marriott downtown and I was like, hey, there's a if you haven't had barbecue yet, there's a really cool, little, funky old Austin barbecue joint literally across the street.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was like, it's a it's cool old Austin.
Speaker 1: I said it almost city almost lost it, but the employees just bought it back.
Speaker 2: And it's a cool hang and so they were like, all right, we're going to go do that.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, we saw him walking over to Greamsquite and checking it out. So great job, Butler, Pitch and putt, very very good. That was from earlier this morning on the JB and Sandy Show. Stream the podcast Whenever you want search JB and Sandy on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App three one Austin dot com.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's JB and Sandy for our friends at Kowala Cooling, Scott and Stacey, the same great folks behind kangaroof are the folks who bring you Kowala Cooling and Plumbing. Do you ever hear the same JB? The dog days of summer? And do you know what it actually means? It means you can't go outside. You want to stay in your air condition home. I interpret that true, but it actually has history with astrology, the ancient Greeks and the Dog Star constellation. Hey that's great, great to know. But right here on planet Texas, I just know it's hot, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we hit triple digits in May and I know we have hit triple digits in September. That's a long stretch. You want to get your home checked out and kualified.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't want your AC breaking down on the hottest days of the year, So go ahead and get the team from Kohala Cooling to come out and take a look. Like JB said, get your AC qualified. Call them today at five one, two seven, five nine eighty eight hundred.
Speaker 2: All right. The heat wave.
Speaker 1: Across the country has been good business for the ice cream truck guide, which we don't see an ice cream truck in our neighborhood.
Speaker 4: Every once in a while I hear one off in the distance. Yeah, I think an ice cream truck could kill it in our neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: But the problem is the kids wouldn't know what the music meant.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it'd be up to the parents to right.
Speaker 2: You got to say it with that one trick about the music.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: We had a friend who told me that when she was little, when the ice cream truck would drive by with its music playing, her parents said, that means they're out of ice cream in the music's place.
Speaker 1: And four it's awful awful listen to this.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: A guy in Texas beat up an ice cream truck driver after he saw some kids hand him their phones and thought he was some kind of pervert.
Speaker 4: So the guy saw the kids handing the ice cream truck driver their phones.
Speaker 1: Yes, and the guy immediately jumped to the guy's a pervert. But it turns out that the truck just accepts Apple Pay. But this dude, Michael Valadez, beat the hell out of the driver because he said he was acting suspiciously around some kids. He assumed he was some sort of perp, so he punched him multiple times and threatened to shoot him and took his phone away. But the guy wasn't a purve. It was just because he took Apple pay. Yeah, police determined he wasn't doing anything illegal or inappropriate. Old Michael is facing charges for robbery and unlawful possession of a fire. Ah.
Speaker 4: That guy Michael, who thought he was saving the kids is now the guy going to jail, right, I thought, I.
Speaker 1: This is how dumb I was when I was a kid. I made friends with the ice cream man and got to ride in his truck.
Speaker 5: You got in his rus.
Speaker 2: I got in his truck.
Speaker 5: Here's no way your mother knew about this.
Speaker 2: Uh No.
Speaker 1: But then my mom told me after like two or three days, she said, you can't ride an ice cream man's truck anymore?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how dumb?
Speaker 5: Was I right?
Speaker 2: Stupid?
Speaker 5: She just got lucky that he was a nice ice cream guy.
Speaker 2: He was a good he was a good humor man.
Speaker 5: He's a good human.
Speaker 2: You expect so.
Speaker 1: Earlier or last week, Trisiaan and I had a very serious conversation because at last there was a day. Last week it was National bomb Pop Day.
Speaker 4: Oh God, you wigged out about this and Tricia started hurling insults at me.
Speaker 1: Listen to this, Tricia, Nope, she didn't go traditional red, white and blue all American bomb pop.
Speaker 2: She went chocolate banana.
Speaker 4: I asked him, he said, it's National bomb Pop Day. I go, you read white and blue, rereay chocolate and banana, and you would have thought that I asked him some horrible question about his mom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's not read light and bok.
Speaker 4: I like chocolate and banana. You said it made me Unamerican? That does unpatriotic?
Speaker 2: Don't love the USA?
Speaker 5: Said I hated the United States?
Speaker 2: And I called you Nazi?
Speaker 4: Yeah you did, because I like the chocolate and banana bomb pop.
Speaker 1: I just I question anybody who likes chocolate, banana anything?
Speaker 2: What grossed? Were you a frozen banana eater too.
Speaker 5: No, you know that about me. You know I can't eat a banana. I like the banana flavor.
Speaker 1: So you were a banana split eater without the banana split.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I never wanted a banana split. I just got ice cream.
Speaker 2: I never finished one.
Speaker 5: And there's too much ice cream. It's too much for somebody to finish.
Speaker 2: Well, I want ice cream.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know if it's safe for you to get a banana or not. You're so weird about the banana.
Speaker 1: I just wish you were a little more patriotic and grateful for this great country.
Speaker 5: I love this great country. I just like the chocolate and banana bomb. Pop Ah, you are so annoying.
Speaker 1: Today, it's my turn, trist It's got questions for me. We call it rapid fire Q. And hey, let's do it.
Speaker 5: All right, A question? All right, question Sandy, Here you go.
Speaker 4: First question, what is the best and the worst part of your job?
Speaker 1: Okay, the best part and the worst part they're kind of the same.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The best part is the hours. No point at yourself with me. I mean the hours are.
Speaker 5: Great, yeah, yeah, they're good hours.
Speaker 1: They're good hours. But the hours are also terrible because the time that you're don't spend people like Oly. You're early on the radio for a few hours a day, right.
Speaker 4: What do you do the rest of the day get ready for those few Hourory.
Speaker 1: About those few hours is what you do. It's called I call it the grip. You're constantly, constantly looking for things to talk about and things to remember and things to you know what I mean. It's constant preparation. It's like, yeah, when this radio show is like conducting a meeting every single day, complete with audio and funny and relative stuff.
Speaker 2: So it's the hours and it's the hours. If that makes any sense.
Speaker 5: I understand it. All right.
Speaker 4: Here's a question, Okay, people who are new to the show. Sandy and I are married. We've been married for seventeen years. We have a sixteen year old daughter. So back before we were married, Sandy, do you remember a moment when you were on a date that your date did something that instantly gave you the ick and you were like, I'm out.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it would be the ick, but it was definitely I'm out. Yeah, And I was polite. I wasn't a jerk about it. I was on a date with a girl and it was first or second date, I can't remember. And we were at dinner at a nice restaurant and she came back from the ladies room and it was very obvious that she had been crying.
Speaker 2: Oh right, and I'm like, oh my gosh, what did I do? You know?
Speaker 1: I didn't say that, but like, are you okay? And she was like, I'm so sorry. I just I just can't stop thinking about my ex boys. Oh god, that it should. I just don't feel like I should be here right now. And I said, you know what, that's fine, Yeah, that is totally fine. And I go, do you want to finish eating or not? And she goes, no, I think I just want to go wow. And I said okay, and I drove her home and I never saw her again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, that's not something you can recover from.
Speaker 1: From no state I could. And I was like, all right, we just left. I got the bill and we left. You didn't even eat, no, didn't even eat. Paid for it, but didn't eat, Yeah, exactly. And then that driver home. Yeah right. It's like I felt like what I should have said is, you know, you miss your old boyfriend so much?
Speaker 2: Want you to have them come pick up the tab and take your home.
Speaker 5: All right, here's the question I asked you to think about, Sandy.
Speaker 4: What is something you absolutely will not give up?
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the thing.
Speaker 1: If you'd asked me this question yesterday, I had a very obvious answer.
Speaker 2: So I have.
Speaker 1: I have dipped Copenhagen for a long time, and I've always thought I'm never going to give that up. So that would have been my answer yesterday until last night when I paid ten dollars for a can of Copenhagen.
Speaker 2: Done. Yeah, I'm like, that's ridiculous, you know, one Yeah, for one can.
Speaker 3: How much are they normally Well, I mean they've been gradually going up up in price over the years, but I've never been ten dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's ridiculous. And you know that's the problem.
Speaker 1: Like, I know, Copenhagen's disgusting habit, I know that, but you know what, it's something I really enjoy. And it used to be something that you could dip Copenhagen because it was like the common man tobacco.
Speaker 2: You could just you could afford it.
Speaker 1: Right, everything anymore ten dollars, Tricia, No, not doing that. That's over two hundred dollars a month, whoa if you think about it.
Speaker 5: So, I don't know, I don't know how much I might.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna se how much the nicotine gum is and maybe go down that ruck route because I am not paying a ten dollars.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Or what about those those pouches.
Speaker 2: They're expensive too.
Speaker 3: Really, you can buy cheaper tobacco, you know what I mean A lot less.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's just is what it is.
Speaker 5: Your dad stopped smoking gum did? He was a real smoker for me, He was a professional smoker.
Speaker 2: He was like a three pack at a smoker for fifty years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he quit and then quit cold turkey one day, just started chewing the gum.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He just stubborn. Yeah, that's what he is.
Speaker 5: No, geez, your dad is stubborn.
Speaker 2: That's rapid fire. Q and A.
Speaker 1: Thanks for being with US Texas anytime at seven three, seven, three zero one ninety six hundred more coming up on.
Speaker 2: One O three point one Austin's eighty station. Hey, thank you very much for listening.
Speaker 1: Make sure you listen to the radio every morning two six until ten on Austin's eighty station.
Speaker 2: What oh three point one