Speaker 1: And good morning.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Native Beat here on K one AM fourteen ninety three point three and ninety five point one. Nathan Thompson here with John Weston, John o CEO.
Speaker 1: How are you, my friend, O CEO, Nathan Tohitu, how are you today?
Speaker 3: Great? Doing great?
Speaker 1: Little rainy out there, but you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I said earlier, I'm not sure if I should have paddled in or if I should have flown in.
Speaker 3: You could probably do either one this week with the wind exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: So anyway, Happy Monday and all of you out there listening to the Native Beat, or as we would say on the Cherokee Reservation also quanha he. This past week and this coming week has been and will be one of the busiest ones here for our local Day of Communities. We have community meetings, an open house, a ribbon cutting ceremony, and Toys for Tots campaign just in the next few days.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: So before we begin, I'd like to thank our sponsor, Couwfield Cooperative Crowd Union. We're located three thirteen West nine Street in Coffeeville. We're in the countdown to Christmas, thirty seven days left for those who are accounting and you may be wondering how you get those through these days with those extra funds, Without those extra funds.
Speaker 3: To help see you through. Coffield Quad for Credit.
Speaker 4: Union is here to help head on up to allow Martin and staff to help make your financial goals, whatever they may be, a success. Coffield Cooperative Credit Union, It's where you belong. Check them out on Facebook or use their website at COOPERATIVECU dot com. Insured by Ecua. Native Beat is also pleased to announce we're adding another sponsor to our.
Speaker 1: Show, Tomahawk's Supply.
Speaker 4: Tomahawk is a locally owned Native family business here to supply you with all your business needs, whether it's in the area of office supplies, food service, janitorial packaging, or other needs. If it's a special item you need, they'll they'll do their best to get it for you. Give them a call today at nine one eight sixty three nine two two three seven, check them out at Facebook or their website at ok Tomahawk. Naty Bee would also like to thank you our listeners as you're for your continued support and tuning into the show. As I mentioned earlier, it has been and will be a busy week locally for our local Native communities. Last Saturday, Chief Hoskin Councilor Patskowski from our district District twelve and New District eleven Councilor Kindra mcgate hosted a community meeting at the Noda Cherokee Community Building. Several departments were there also on hand answer questions and provide information to tribal members. The following Tuesday, our Chief provided a State of the Cherokee Nation update as part of a presentation of the Nowada Chamber of Commerce. He talked about some of the contributions Cherokee Nation is made to Nowada and its impact on the surrounding area, including the investment of one million dollars into the building of a new water tower No Wada and improvements to the water infrastructure there to help ensure residents have quality drinking water. The Chief also discussed the impact of bringing jobs to the area with the building the Will Rogers Health Center, the Nutrition and the Food Distribution Center, as well as the newly completed Cherokee Nation and the head Start Center.
Speaker 3: It's a state of the art facility.
Speaker 4: Cherokee Nation invested seven point three million dollars then, and he also spoke about the affordable housing crisis and how just a Northeastern Oklahoma alone, it would require an investment of one point seventy five billion dollars to make up for this shortage. To address this need, Cherokee Nation real Estate recently made permanent the Housing, Jobs and Sustainability Communities Act, which invests forty million every three years into the building of new homes, fifteen percent of which is earmarked for the construction and maintenance of our community buildings like the ones you see at Dewey and Oceanlaeda. We're seeing the benefit of this legislation in our area done at Oceanlada with the building of four duplexes next door to our community building. We're thankful to the Chief and Cherokee Nation are for stepping up to help address this issue. I know it's been an ongoing one here in Northeastern Oklahoma as it has been across the country.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, absolutely so.
Speaker 4: Last Thursday, there was a community beating that was hosted by our friends in Native American Fellowships in South Cofferville along with Chief Hooskin and Counselor mcgety.
Speaker 3: To give you an.
Speaker 1: Idea of the chief schedule, he was at Yale Law School.
Speaker 4: Delivering an address that afternoon in Connecticut, and was in South Coffee Well by seven pm that evening for the meeting. My goodness, his father, Chuck Senior was there. Both men were counselors for District eleven. That was their area before they went on the higher office. While Chuck Senior he actually wanted to become a mayor of Venda, YEP in the state legislature.
Speaker 1: But anyway, it was interesting. It was interesting listening to Chuck Senior.
Speaker 4: Talk about Cherokee Nation and District eleven thirty years ago and how many of the things we enjoyed today were a dream back then. Yes, it was a great evening with a great turnout. We had abound one hundred and sixty people present. It was just really a great evening of community, and I think at night all of us are going to remember for a long time. Absolutely sounds incredible. I also mentioned that we're going to have a busy week ahead. Tomorrow at one pm will be the grand opening of the seven point three million dollar Child Development Center in Nowada. The public is welcome to attend. This new center is located at one thousand and one Lenape Draw I have across from the Nutrition Center and just a little down from the road from the Will Rogers Health Center. Also tomorrow, the Cherokee Cultural Community in Dewey, which has a Cherokee Nation Career Services Office, we'll be having an open house from ten am to two pm, and that's at seven hundred East Durham Road. They'll be highlighting some of the programs and services they offer. So if you're looking for a job, or if you're wanting to find a way to update your skills or your resume, they'd be a good place for you to drop by and find out what they have to offer.
Speaker 3: Beautiful facility there. Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Also on Tuesday, one pm at the Washington County Fairgrounds, our Tribal Counselor door At Patskowski, and several members of our communities will be gathering to help sort toys by age, gender, and sex. It's my understanding there will be three semi loads of toys coming in this year, over one hundred thousand, over one hundred thousand toys, and this is part of the Toys for Tots program. It benefits every school child in our district and also school children in District eleven at South Coffeeville, which I think is just a wonderful program. On Thursday, November twenty first, CCC, the Cherokee Cultural Community, we'll be hosting its monthly potluck at six pm. The Operation Eagle Dancers will be there to provide a demonstration. If you have kids who are interested in joining, please consider attending once again that address to seven hundred East Durham Road. With Thanksgiving coming up, I want to talk a little bit about something we Cherokees hold dear, the idea of gratitude being thankful. I know this time of year can be stressful and we don't always remind ourselves of what's truly important or what we should be thankful for, but I think it's important to take a moment to reflect.
Speaker 3: I know that we can get to get bogged down.
Speaker 4: By the festivities and the parties and the endless preparation and planning and all the work that goes into pulling off the holidays, but it's definitely also a time which is just slowed down and kind of remember the reason we're celebrating these holidays.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Abraham Bearpav for those who don't know, as a motivational speaker well known in the Cherokee Nation, he has developed a curriculum for living a balanced life. In fact, he's been involved in teaching this course at many of our Cherokee communities. His book, Walking in Balance provides a blueprint for not only living a balance life, but for want of wellness. It addresses everything from communication, mindfulness, respects, service, self care, perseverance, and gratitude, among other aspects. Since we're near and dear to Thanksgiving, just to point out that Cherokee culture, gratitude is something we aspire to daily. In fact, I think it's no mistake that in his book Walking in Balance, the first topic he touches on is gratitude. He put it front and center. Studies have shown that practicing gratitude daily can improve both their physical and mental health. And Abraham mentions in his book How to Ceremonial Grounds, we are taught to spit out our first bite of food as a way of giving back to the earth.
Speaker 3: He states, it's difficult.
Speaker 4: To maintain this spirit of gratefulness once we return to our homes and we go about our daily lives.
Speaker 1: So it's something we have we need to work on first.
Speaker 3: It's important we appreciate what we.
Speaker 4: Have what we may want based on the daily bombardment of ads we encounter every day. Second, we need to make sure our self worth isn't defined by others. And third, we need to remind ourselves how grateful we are to those that we have in our lives. This helps break the negative mindset which is easy for us to fall into, especially when we're stressed. Bearpauk created a list of action steps.
Speaker 3: Which I think is great.
Speaker 4: He not only identifies the problem that he provides a solution, but then he also provides a plan of action in his book, and I think that's a wonderful thing because so many of these self help books that you come across kind of fail to do that.
Speaker 1: So he has these action steps.
Speaker 4: He recommends making a daily list of what you're thankful for mentally, verbally, or just.
Speaker 3: By writing it down.
Speaker 4: It helps you focus on the things that you are grateful for, on your blessings rather than your anxiety. He also recommends taking a gratitude picture.
Speaker 3: In his book.
Speaker 4: He states pictures are a great great way to memorialize what you're grateful for. This is very easy to do and it captures that moment of gratitude, so you can return to it anytime you wish.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of us do that.
Speaker 4: You know, we get together to have a gathering of friends or family. You know, we try to take pictures, and it's like, that's basically what we're doing. We're going to look back on fondness with the good times, and it's a great way to distress. Honestly, when you go through photographs.
Speaker 3: It is. It is.
Speaker 4: And so the last action step, he mentions, is to invite your family to practice gratitude. I know this is something commonly done at Thanksgiving, but bear Pas suggests we make this a daily occurrence. Whether you're sitting down to eat or you have a particular time of day you're all together, have each member of your family list one thing they are grateful for. And this is kind of a great quote from the book. He states, this exercise takes minimal time, but is a great way to interrupt the daily business, a daily busy routine to refocus on gratitude. You may get some off the wall answers from your children, like I'm glad my brother's feet don't smell today, But you may also get a valuable peek into their very busy lives and honestly, if you think about it, it's also a great way to understand the mindset of your family members. And it's just an avenue for you to communicate and and expressed to each other.
Speaker 3: How much you mean to one another.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and I think that's something that sorely needed these days. So I agree with you one hundred percent exactly.
Speaker 4: These action steps will go a long way reminding us of why we need to stay focused on why gratitude is an important aspect of a healthy life, not only a Thanksgiving but daily.
Speaker 1: So before we go today, we have a few announcements, actually several announcements.
Speaker 4: I want to remind everyone don't forget to check out our Cherokee community facebook pages for the latest events, news and meetings, for example of the Washington County Cherokee Association in Ocean Leda, the Cherokee Culture Community in Dewey, the Nowa Cherokee Community Foundation and NOWATA, and the Native American Fellowship in South Coffeeville. I encourage everyone, whether Cherokee or not, to find a community and get involved. I was recently at a community meeting in Marble City and we were asked to stand up and introduce who we were what communities we were with, And I thought one of the interesting things is it seems like we're at no point in human history have we ever been more supposedly connected by technology, right, social media, all sorts of communication apps, everything we have right at our disposal, our fingertips. But yet it seems, you know, it almost seems like there is a dichotomy there because we also have never I feel, I believe we also have never felt more disconnected as a group. We don't we have the ability to communicate, but we don't really have community. And I find a lot of younger people who come to our community organizations there are two things really.
Speaker 3: That they're wanting to learn.
Speaker 4: About culture and they want to feel that sense of community. And I think there's really no better way than to do that face to face.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely so.
Speaker 4: Anyway, just check out those pages if you want to get involved. Also check out the Delaware website and No Stage Facebook pages. I ask our listeners not to forget the t Ton trade Cloth store located in the Johnstone Stair Building or their location at the Eastland Shopping Center. You can also shop online at t to on tradecloth dot com. Cherokee Nation has two official offices opened the Cherokee Culture Community in Dewey to serve the Cherokee People Career Services Office and Cherokee Nation Human Resources, both located at seven hundred Easter.
Speaker 1: As I stated earlier, the.
Speaker 4: Career Services Office is opened Monday through Friday from eight to five. The Human Resources Office is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from eight to five. Just to let everyone know, on Saturdays, at the Washington County Cherokee Association in Oceleda, we're offering free Cherokee language courses from ten am to noon. They're taught by Matthew Church. He's a wonderful instructor graduated of Cherokee Language program. We're located justice at the Kuisku Health Clinic on twenty nine hundred Road. Now, one of the great things about Matthew is he's also for his day job, he's a kindergarten teacher.
Speaker 1: That's great, and so we actually learned the days of the week in Cherokee not longer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There you go to the tune of the Adams song Adams Family. Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 3: So that was great.
Speaker 4: Also, I want to remind everyone to be sure to catch our friend Chris Crane on Freybred Journeys on the ninety six ninety KGGF.
Speaker 1: Be sure to check out their Facebook page.
Speaker 4: They always have something really great on it, whether it's cultural or whether they're doing a lot of times they do giveaways which are just great with all sorts of interesting books and cultural items.
Speaker 3: That's always a great thing.
Speaker 4: And speaking of Chris, she'll be joining me on our next edition of Native Beat. She is going to be November twenty seventh and nine. Chris is also for those who don't know, she is the secretary of the Native American Fellowship in South Coffeeville, and they're just a great community up there. I know that a lot of times they're unity together. They have over one thousand people that would turn out, which is just astounding for any sort.
Speaker 3: Of community events.
Speaker 4: So those kind of a the testaments of the community that they have built up there. You can catch Native Beat on the Varzel Radio Facebook page. You're on demand through the Barzil Radio app available in the Apple Store. I want to say a big wad though, as we say in Cherokee, what oh do you Nathan for having me on? Absolutely niche is the Delaware would say, WANSI is the Osage would say, and to all of you listening, dota nogoha e until we meet again.
Speaker 3: Perfect John, thank you so much for this edition of Native Beat. Thanks for listening to one on one with a professional, A paid presentation in fourteen hundred K one