Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now, here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started here hour number two on a Friday afternoon, as we get you set for the weekend. I know I say this all the time, it really actually feels as we speak like the weekend has started, because the vibes here in Louisville are solid, in fact, better than solid. We got Bourbon to beyond. Going on day two, Louisville football will be in action tomorrow in a little bit under twenty four hours, and it's their first test. I still have yet to get a real feel for how I put it this way, I've yet to really be able to fully put into words how I would describe, if I could, what this game feels like, because I respect Georgia Tech a lot, but I also feel like Louisville winning. That's what you're supposed to do, which technically it is like that's not the case. But I realized if they play well in Louisville, you know, has has some miscues and maybe they come out flat off of bye week or something like that. I mean, George Tack will make you pay for it. And some people have brought up last year's game because Wild Game Louisville got off to a really bad start, and it is crazy how that season. I mean, it didn't end well with three straight losses, but you still had a ten win season. And you know, anybody who claims last year was not a very successful year one for brom is to be frank with you as an idiot. I shouldn't name call, but you know I'm in that kind of mood today, and I apologize. I shouldn't say you're an idiot. I guess you're in titled to your opinion. I would just tell you that I disagree. But in that first half I was in Atlanta and I left after a very unsuccessful vibe check. I got into the dome and left early because because once it started to look bad, I'm like, I got to get out of here. I can't. I can't be around people in public if Jeff Brohm starts to look like he may not be the guy here, which it would have been an overreaction if he did lose that game. But I remember people freaking out, panicking because Georgia Tech got off to a phenomenal start and Louisville, you know, came back and honestly, they really it wasn't like they put up twenty one unanswered in five ten minutes, but they slowly but surely dominated that second half and took over and really, you know, from then on had a really good season. So I don't think about that game last year at all. Haines King's a different guy now, he's got more confidence in himself. He's proven. And we didn't know last year that Georgia Tech was going to have a freshman receiver who would go on to be one of the best receivers in the country as a freshman meaning poor freshman, not overall. But yeah, I respect Georgie Tech a lot, and I know that they're capable of beating LOUIELL because honestly, anybody's capable of beating LOUISLL if they don't play well. I mean that's I mean, Louisll's not a team that can come out and honestly, most it's not even about Louisville. Most teams, in my opinion, especially now with the portal meaning where you got dudes, who you get a roster. Let's just mean, I'm sure nobody has crun this data and done the research to look at it. But in a Power for conference, wouldn't you say, John, in Power for Football, if you just do a random check in during any moment of a game other than when it's a blowout or something, that there'd be more guys on the field for both teams that were portal guys than not. Yes, especially more guys that didn't start their career where they're playing now.
Speaker 3: Yes, especially if you're not including like the Georgia's in the Alabama's and you do have some examples of the transfer portal players with those teams, but with the mid tier to lower tier Power for programs, you're definitely seeing a lot of I would say maybe even majority of your starting guys are portal players.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean in Louisville. I mean, let's look at Louisville guys that we feel really good about. I mean, some of the guys have been here for like, for example, Quincy Raley's one of your top players. He's a portal guy, but he's been here for three years now. But Ashton Julotti, I mean he's and we got some freshmen on Louis's team that I think are really that have a lot of potential, like Isaah Isaac Brown. But you know, Jelati is a guy who was not a big recruit and came to Louisville, became an All American caliber player and decided to stay here. I mean that's rare this day and age. So I cannot at this point. I'm just ready for the game to start. I'm anxious to see where Louisville stands. I'm well aware that a close loss or a close win wouldn't mean we need to worry. A loss wouldn't really mean we need to worry. However, Like realistically speaking, if you can lose to Georgia Tech at home, you got to keep in mind. You know, you got Miami at home. Miami's probably a better team. I mean I think they are right now. So I don't want to get into the schedule conversation. But this is a big game tomorrow. I mean, for a variety of reasons, I don't want to act like it would be a monumental thing that we're all going to tell our grandchildren about fifty years from now. But I'm pumped, man, I really am. And you know, I think the fact that my morale and my energy. You know, it's positive, is more impressive than people because I've had a hell of the last twenty four hours. I don't want to get back into all the specifics of it and reshare the story, but I'm without a vehicle after I gave Auto's owned business to replace my battery, and I now fear that they may have damaged my vehicle to where I don't even know if I'm going to be able to drive it again. And that's that's that's not good, that's scary. That's not only like that sucks, but like I got to figure out what do I do? Do I get a lawyer? Like what happens? So you know, I mean yeah again, like John, I'm like Jordan with the flu in the playoffs, right, Like a lot of adversity come in my way, A lot of a lot of stuff going on, but I just I just deal with it because that's what I do.
Speaker 5: And you've heard a lot of episodes with this Volkswagen.
Speaker 2: I feel like, well no, so now now now, now, now you're striking a nerve a little bit here, okay, because they blame that they were any because they didn't know what they were doing before they realized that they I mean them not knowing how to put a battery in a car, them putting a battery in a vehicle backwards, and not realizing that they had done that for three hours, taking it out, putting it back in every time, not realizing that it was backwards. That's not a Volkswagon issue. And I know you didn't say that it was. But before they figured out that, for three hours, all they would do was bitch and moan. Well, that's why, why Hey Volkswagens, Why hey Volkswagons. And I'm like, that is why I carried the battery to the counter and asked you, Hey, I'm gonna buy this battery. Can you replace it for me. It wasn't like, hey, I'm not gonna buy it. I'm gonna buy it regardless, and if you can't do it, I'm gonna take it to my stepfather, who's a mechanic who can do it for me. But I just wanted to know because it'd be convenient if you can just go do it for me, because I get it. You know, if you take my battery now, I get a cheaper battery. And they checked it in their system and they were able to replace it. They said, but they put it on backwards for three hours and now they know. Now they're not bringing up BW. Now they're not telling me it's because because you get it doesn't matter the car you can You don't know what I mean, I'm not even somebody one of their associates today that I talked to told me, John, you could have never opened a hood and probably figured out which way a battery goes in. I mean, that's the truth of it. Now, why do you think I've had problems with my Volkswagen.
Speaker 3: I feel like maybe this wasn't a Volkswagen specific issue. But I remember a story I guess it was from last year when you were on the side of I sixty five with.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, right, yeah yeah. I mean that was just I ran over something. I mean, I ran over something that got stuck under my vehicle and I had to call my stepdad to come and like pry it out. It was it was not ideal. And look, here's what's crazy. I know that Volkswagens are a pain in the ass for mechanics. There are many successful mechanics that will not work on your Volkswagen because they're just so different. I love the car. I am now going to keep it in mind whenever I you know, whenever I ever get a new vehicle. If I do, I might have to get one soon. Like I'm going to keep in mind like that. That is something that it's just different. Like a lot of places will look at your car and say, yeah, I do that. It's pretty easy, but for your car it won't be. Or I'm not going to do it because it's a pain in the ass. So but like the vehicle, I love my car and the Dubbs loyalist, do you think or no, No, I mean, like I've never had one before. But we got this car in twenty twenty the end of twenty twenty, I think it was maybe early twenty twenty one. It's a twenty nineteen. It was gently used and it's the perfect size suv. It's a third row but it's not too bulky. It's you know, it's it's four cylinder, two well drive, turbo so I can. It's got a little get up in it. It's decent on gas milage. I love my car, and now they may have ruined it, Like I hope that's not the case. But what I haven't shared with you is I called the dealership to just get there, like I wanted to tell them my side of the story, like, hey, I don't know what they told you, but they're sending my car to you, and I'm gonna tell you what is now an issue that wasn't an issue before I gave it to them, because I don't know what they told you, because they're gonna probably say, hey, he just needs this fixed time on because they're gonna put the bill. They are, and they did say that, but I feel like it's it's it's lame for me to act like I'm oh, thank you so much for inconvenient me and making my life a living hell for roughly twenty four hours and you still being out ahead to where I've given you money in business and you've inconvenienced me kept me away again. Here I am playing victim, and that's what makes this Like, my wife is so fired up, John, so fired up, it's kind of turning me on, to be honest with you, She is fired up, and she's like, you need to get mad. You need to call corporate, you need to tell them we're talking to the Better Business Bureau. And I'm like, baby, that's not me she's like, it doesn't like she's like, it doesn't matter if it's you. This is what's right. And I said that to my core is not my personality. And she said, you're just scared of people saying you're a male Karen. And I said, you know what, honey, you might be right, but are you a Karen if you're upset for legitimate reasons? Like I will say this. I don't know if people are trying to gasp me up or whatnot. But when I share this story, not to just listeners, but just like people I've talked to you, like my family, my friends, and of course you would think they would have my side, but like they're telling me, I have not left until they literally refunded you your money and told you somebody's coming here right now to fix your car. And like, what's crazy is like I would never make those kind of demands, but really that's not that's not a crazy request. I came and gave you money, you bit. You know, I'm sure my purchase was not something that really put them over, but you took my money and gave me back my car that doesn't work, and like that's not cool. I mean to say, it's not cool as an understatement. So yeah, I mean, and here's here, here's where I'm at with it. John, if somebody was to like lose their mind, it wouldn't mean they're in the wrong. It's just not me. It's just not my personality. And I don't mean because I'm holier than now and I'm such a nice guy, not at all what I'm saying. It's just not my personality. Like you know, some people think because I'm I'm that could be standoffish. I'm not super social publicly, and I am an introvert that at times, especially in this line of work, has made people here we go, it was up gush. It's just made me, you know, made me seem like I am, you know, not friendly, and that's not the case. It's just again, it's more it's more my personality. So you know, we'll see how this thing, you know, how it plays out. And I'm not being like dramatic for effect. Here's what happens, but those are I'll quickly tell you I took my car to auto zone. I was just sad. I've already said I took my car to autos on yesterday to replace my battery I asked them, hey, can you replace my battery? If not, no, biggie, I'll buy it and I'll just have somebody else do it. Who can because I have a boltswagon and I know that's difficult. They checked in their system, told me that they could replace it, and then for three hours they couldn't figure out why the alarm system was going off. And at ten o'clock we were going to call it a night because not only had I bought a battery, they couldn't get installed. They couldn't even put my old battery back on, like nothing would work, and I could not get home. Luckily I live close my wife could come and get me. And then after three hours of them trying, they later figured out that they were putting the battery in upside down backwards but backwards the whole time and didn't realize it. So once they realized their mistake, I mean, I I feel like calling it a mistake is even like an understatement. It's just in confidence that you'd never expect for people who work at a at a at a auto place like that should be a test that like maybe one day, like in the employment manual, the what do you call it? Like the onboarding manual, John, They'll have the Nick Coffee rule. You can't work here unless you know which way a battery goes. You don't even have to know how to connect it, but you got to know what which which side goes, which way? Wouldn't that would it would it would not be good. But I'm just saying like they should know that. So once they realized that the car did start, but because of all of their failed attempts, because they were like damaging my vehicle when they were trying to connect the battery when it was on backwards, it's fried the like some of my vehicle, Like it's fried the computer system within my Volkswagen to an extent where I have no power steering, my AC and heat, like there's no life to that, Like no lights come on. It's not like I can turn it on and it doesn't work. It's just dead. And I got every error message Volkswagen can send to you popping up anytime I start the car. So I take it back today to them, and again I'm only able to drive it with with no power steering because I literally can get to my home from that store. And it's I mean, it's it's it's relatively close. It's not super close, but like I can go through, no joke, and I can't. There are three neighborhoods I go through to get there to my house, to my house from AutoZone. So I got home last night just because of that convenience. It was luck. So I show up today, tell him, hey, yeah, the battery did start, but now my car doesn't work. I just want you to get my car to where it was when I came here and gave you business. And they're a Volkswall I don't know. We never like they have they have no they have no uh. And it took me calling their district man. It took me calling another manager at a different store that my stepfather knows for them to at least tell me here's what we're gonna do. We're gonna tow your car to the dealership and they're gonna have to connect it up to their system and figure out what's wrong. And you know, I even feel like I'm giving them too much credit by saying that's something, like that is something, but like that's something you should have done right away. I shouldn't have had to wait there for six hours over two days for somebody to get that plan in motion. So I left, my wife came and picked me up. I had a bag, like I had. I had a Thornton's bag, you know, I had shout out of Thorsts. I had a Thorton's bag in my car that I just put all my stuff in, like my garage door opener, anything that could be, anything that I may need. I mean, there's a lot of stuff I put in that bag. And then I threw the car seats from my kids in the back of my wife's car. But when she picked me up, the car seats were like sitting on the on the on the curb. I mean, I was, uh in their parking lot, but there was an on the curb, and I had this bag, and I swear when she pulled in, I feel like I just walked out of jail and I had like what I had what was on me when I got arrested, Like that's what it felt like. It was like a purp walk to my wife's vehicle and and she picked me up, and you know, she's fired up, man, She's like, oh, is that the clown show over there having another smoke break? Well, they've damaged your car and I'm like, yeah, honey, I'll watch the car. You go whoop their ass, Like you know, I didn't say that, but that's what it felt like. She she's the she's the the alpha here, which you know, hell yeah, they were burning heaters, baby. I mean, I think the stress of them not knowing what they were doing and then realizing how stupid they were to not get it fixed. They were burning. They might have burned through a cart in Marlborough Reds last night and today John anyways, exactly. So so then you know, we leave and like you know, I get home and I'm thinking, okay, well they're gonna get it towed. And best case scenario is this, they connected to the Volkswagen Dealership computer system and they just re said it and it's fine. But I called the Volkswagen Dealership because I'm like, you know what, I'm not taking their word for it. I'm pretty sure that if I would have just told them, oh okay, huh see you later, they'd have left the car there for years and just assumed like, hey, this guy's just gonna gonna eat it and be a chump and be a peon because we broke his car. So I called the dealership they're sending it to, which is a client of ours here at Ihart nil Hufmand. And I said, you know, here's here's what I said, lady into the phone. I was like, yes, AutoZone is having my vehicle towed to you guys, and I just want to know, like I want to give you all my number, my contact info, so whenever we find out what's going on, like somebody lets me know, because I don't know if they're gonna do that or not. And she was like, uh, honey, did you make an appointment? And I said no. She said, oh, we're backed up for three weeks. So I'm thinking, like, oh my god, well they have a relationship business wise to where like they if AutoZone is sending it to the dealership, it's a little different than me making an appointment. So she took my info and the manager of the service department called me back and he was super super nice and and and you know, kind and helpful. But he said, I've not heard of anybody telling me we're getting a vehicle here today. And he said, I'll call you when I get notification that we've got one coming from AutoZone. It's four twenty. I left there at eleven o'clock. I haven't got a call yet. I bet my car still sitting at AutoZone and the dealership that they told me that was going to be fixing this doesn't even know anything about what I'm talking about.
Speaker 5: I'll come with you after work and go up to beat up some people at AutoZone. Not literally, but.
Speaker 2: You know you'd be the muscle, not me. I wouldn't be. Yeah, No, dude, John, you're the guy that, like nobody would expect it, but you might, like just with in thirty seconds murder somebody like I could see it. And I mean that as a compliment. You're you're mynd guy. Yeah, and it can come the right time, like you'll turn into Jason Stathum and it and it's bad news for everybody. That's the way I see it. But so I tell him, like, and I said, is this common that like you wouldn't know that it's coming. And he said, he said, uh, well yes, And no He's like, you know, it's a little different process if a place like that is going to be sending it something to us rather than a customer making an appointment. And I said, okay, and he said, well, I will. But they said, but I'll tell you this, I will call you if, in fact I get your vehicle. And I said, okay, great, and again I haven't heard from m yet. And then I described to him. I said, I don't know what's what happened, but here's the situation. They replaced my battery incorrectly and now the car will start. But I've got a lot of electronic electric issues within the system of the computer of the car, which I mean, I'm sure I'm not making any sense to anybody who knows anything about cars, but by them incorrectly zap in my car over three hours periodically to try to get it started, not knowing they've got the battery disconnected. The guy at the Volkswagen dealership who literally that's all he does is work on he served his department that he leads services Volkswagen vehicles. He's telling me with what I'm describing that he thinks there's going to be some severe damage and like the power steering not working at all is not like a quick reset, and that the fact that you know, the AC and heat have no life, there's nothing like they're just dead. It's not like they're just not blowing cold air or hot air. They just don't. They just they're dead, you know. I don't think he was trying to make me panic, but he was pretty transparent as far as like, you know, that may not be something that we just reset it and you come pick it up. It could take a while. And I'm like, you know, what do I do? Like cause again I think they would help me, but I'm not paying for it, you know. So then I called corporate of Auto Zone and explained to them, and they were very helpful as far as me laying I mean, unfortunately, I think my situation is probably gonna get some people in trouble and I hate that. But I'm not gonna just eat eat a car and not have a vehicle because somebody was a dumbass. Like any personal it's just it's life. So I think that's what's gonna end up happening. But when I said, like, hey, what if my vehicle's not available for like three weeks, I have a vehicle I'm borrowing now, but that I can't do that forever. I've I missed my son's football last night, my wife was late to work today, I didn't get my work day started until one o'clock. And I'm fortunate to be able to have a job where I can work from home if need be. Like, I'm not asking you guys to cut me a check. I'm just saying, like i've you all have my money, You've made money from me, and you have negatively impacted me and inconvenienced me in a major way. And I've yet to hear anybody give me any sign that you're gonna do something to make me whole. And when I said that, he said, it's a great question. I'm gonna put this in the ticket. Oh my, But once he said he can't tell me. He doesn't know. He's the customer service guy. You know, you know, I don't blame him. He was the most helpful person I talked to. Yeah, And I said, do you have a ticket number? He said no, but if you call your number, will will register to this. And I'm like you sure, He's like yes, And I'm like, well, I hate to doubt you, but like I was just told somebody was coming to pick my car up, and now here I know of four to twenty four nobody's going to pick it up yet. All right, real quick, we do let's let's go to the phone lines here and go to Andrew, who joins us on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thank you for holding and letting me, you know, bitch essentially about my inconvenience. I'm sure you don't care about that, but thank you for holding. What's up?
Speaker 6: Actually I do did, because I went through the movie exact same thing. Mine wasn't quite as bad as yours as far as your story ending with your car, but I went to AutoZone. The individual put the battery and backwards.
Speaker 4: It ended up.
Speaker 6: Blowing the hues, which then did not allow us to turn the car on at all. And I should have had I should have known because the posts on a battery are two different sizes, so he tried to put the small on the big and had to open it up to get it to fit, and then had to close the small to get it on for the big one to get it on the small. Anyway, Luckily my son was reading the owner's manual. They found out that there was a fuse in my car, Honda, that that's what was blown, and we got that replaced in the car started.
Speaker 2: Well, when you started it, did you have any other like fuse issues or were you back to where you were preissued.
Speaker 6: No, everything was fine after that. Now I ended up having problems later because the fuse we put in it was always supposed to be one hundred and twenty five volt. We put in a two fifty, causing problems later. But that's not their fault. The point is it's a it's a training thing. Yes, that the people at AutoZone should have known that they're putting it in wrong, because, like I said, the terminals are two different sizes, and if it hadn't been for my son looking up at the owner's manual, we would never have figured out that. And I, like you, would have had to have my car toad to get up fixed.
Speaker 2: Well, Andrew, I appreciate you holding, and I want to respond to everything you said. I'm gonna I'm gonna put you on hold and drop the call. But I hope you're listening because I will say this, we have very similar situations. Because you mentioned your son and the owner's manual, I was using chat GPT to show them what could potentially be the issue as to why the alarm was going off. Chat GPT like AI, maybe we need to use AI for these kind of things. I don't know, but but you mentioned like you couldn't like once they did that, the car wouldn't start at all. The two and I don't blame these people, but the two two employees of AutoZone that I talked to, one via phone another employee that was there that were not involved in last night's fiasco. When I shared with them everything that happened and told them that the car still started but everything else didn't work, they they reacted not like you're lucky, but that was their vibe, like, given what they did, I'm surprised this car is alive, Like I'm surprised. So you know, they're looking at it from like, damn, it should have been a lot worse. You're lucky. They're not telling me that, but like they realize how incoonfident and how awful the whole thing was from that side of it. So again, it wouldn't as if they were like, hey, you should just know that your car will turn on and be happy. But like I think they heard what the others did and thought to themselves, I'm surprised this thing isn't blown up. All right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side and keep this thing rolling along. I think we're gonna talk to doctor Eric mackerel here on the other side, having got the full RSVP. But we're gonna see what we can make shake here and keep this thing rolling along. And I don't want to make it the Nick Battery Issue show, but it kind of has become that because I'm a blessed Nana. For those who't understand the reference, my wife's grandmother has loaned me her vehicle and she's got a big sticker on the back that says blessed Nana. So I'm riding in style courtesy of auto Zone. Thank you. I'm not even gonna guess who is this.
Speaker 3: This is Smith and Myers. It's half of Shineedown. They're gonna be at on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Are you? Are you into these guys?
Speaker 3: I like the Shinedown version of them. I've never really listened to much of their their duo.
Speaker 2: Okayustic, I like Shinedown too. I won't claim to be like, you know, like a super fan, but like they were they were they again helped me out. Were they really big when I was in high school?
Speaker 3: Like they have their They broke out in the mid two thousands, Yes, and they've been pretty steady going ever since Shinedown.
Speaker 2: I feel like was was was in their breakout whenever I was in high school, and uh they were. And I still like their sound even today listening to music from that time, which was twenty years ago. Really, But when you say it's a version of them, like is they is?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 2: Like just two of they.
Speaker 3: Played and I guess they may play a couple of their songs whenever they perform, but it's their singer and their lead guitarist. They tour playing more acoustic style music, so of its original than some of its covers.
Speaker 2: And what are they called?
Speaker 5: Smith and Myers is their last names.
Speaker 2: I like it a lot a lot that that's because to me, that's that's country enough. But it's not really country.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like it's.
Speaker 2: Got a to me, it's got a little Drake White in it, which I really love Drake White style and sound. Whereas I can I can hear that voice from Shindown, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like, Yeah, good stuff?
Speaker 2: They ever come here any other time than the festival, We need to go see them together. That would be a good coffee and company bro bonding.
Speaker 5: It would be shine Down live three different times.
Speaker 2: What was their big hit shine doown that like.
Speaker 5: A second chance sometimes goodbye, yes chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you did it much better than me. But I feel like they had a different song.
Speaker 5: Had Sound of Madness, same album.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, their cover of simple Man? Are you kidding? Can't say?
Speaker 3: Actually so with Smith and Myers. They do that live as well. Oh that they playing today, they're playing tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's gonna light that's gonna light it up. That's gonna like now, I'm worried about attendance for the LOUISVI game. And I'm not kidding. Their cover of simple Man is amazing, but number forty five yeah on.
Speaker 5: Their debut album.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good stuff there, good stuff. We're playing some music from Bourbon and Beyond because you know it's going on. It's a big deal here and John keep me on track here because there's so many people texting on the text line and in my personal phone about my whole Auto Zonne situation. But there's a Facebook group for Bourbon and Beyond that it's not put on by the event itself, Okay, I don't think it is, but like just people because there's so many people from across the world coming to it, and everybody kind of sharing stories and sharing information for first timers, like tips about those that are camping, which you can and can't bring in. But I stumbled upon the page and like, some of the complaints that they have are funny. I'm not gonna bring it up to like bury the group that puts this event together, because they do a phenomenal job, but like the little things that people lose their mind about is hilarious.
Speaker 3: Usually, I mean, maybe things are different this year, but there's not usually a lot of issues from.
Speaker 2: World Oh no, no, no, just me. I don't want to make it seem is if is if you know, the there's even a tiny percentage of the people going that aren't having a great time. But no matter what, you're gonna find people to complain. You're never gonna please everybody. And where do they have to go to to, you know, to to express that Facebook so and you know, and and a lot of the complaints are filled with comments of people like chill out, Karen, but bleeding at a music festival and I don't mean blood from your body. There's a lot of people said the bleeding is so bad, the bleeding and what they mean I learned is that bleeding from one stage to the other, like music that you know, I'm trying to listen to this band and now I've got, you know, something in my ear that's from across the way.
Speaker 3: Let's say they I've noticed from the from the interstate they have kind of rearranged the stage layout this year, at least the smaller stages and where they're located.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Again, I haven't been there just yet, but maybe it's a little different th usual because they haven't had that problem in the past of you.
Speaker 2: Like, and it may just be one person who thinks it's trust me. I don't want to make it seem as if I'm acting like things are bad, but I enjoy seeing people lose their Like. My Facebook neighborhood group is hilarious because people will be like the male man used to come at one, now he's coming at two thirty. Like you gotta be a bored, lonely, nothing to do person for that to be like, you're gonna go to the Facebook group about it? Is if anybody in Facebook's gonna call the post office, let's talk about underdog fantasy, shall we. You guys, you're gonna need to be a part of underdog Fantasy because if you want to win four tickets to go see Notre Dame next week, I mean you go to Notre Dame to see Louisville next week. It's gonna be some type of a raffle that I'm gonna include. But what I want to tell you right now, let me get, let me get, let me get this. This read started as we speak because underdog Fantasy. There are over a million people across thirty three states. They got involved with Underdog Fantasy just last year because they're new, but they're taken over and they're competing in Underdog Fantasy and they're winning money. You can went up to one thousand times your money just by choosing high or lower on your favorite player stats touchdowns, passing yards, receiving yards, receptions, all that stuff. You know how it works, right, You see what the line is for a player and their performance. You decide as it going high or is it going lower? And I don't know why, but I feel like that's easier to do than deciding what happens in a game. May not be, but that's just the way I see it, which makes it a lot of fun for me. So again, making picks on an underdog is straightforward, and it's even easier to sign up. Just head over to Underdog Simple to use mobile app or undog Fantasy dot Com. Sign up with the promo code NICK seven ninety and Underdog's gonna give you a free pick to use on your first cash pick them and they're gonna match your deposits. So not only do you need to sign up and using using the code Nick seven ninety to get a free pick, you also will have the opportunity to put some money in and boom, They're gonna give you bonus cash for doing that. Take advantage of that. I mean they're gonna give you free money to bet on other than just a free bet like take advantage. It's Underdog Fantasy promo code is Nick seven ninety to claim your new customers space of a free pick, and your deposit offer must be eighteen up in president of the state. We're Underdog Fantasy operates termsplot concerned with your play called one Inner Gambler or visit NCP Gambling dot or quick Break. We'll come back on the other side. Wrap it up with Doctor Eric McElroy. It's right Coffee and Company rolling along on a Friday afternoon, as the weekend has probably already started for a lot of folks. I'm sure it's already started. For our next guest joining us, it's doctor Eric McElroy of pro Rea Physical Therapy. How are we doing, Doctor McElroy? Doing good?
Speaker 4: I'm doing great. Nick. How are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well. Uh, you know, I'm I'm here working hard, but I know there's a lot of folks that are out at Bourbon and beyond and enjoying themselves. And I'm a little jealous, but you know, it's part of the gig I got. I've got a full day of football tomorrow that I'm looking forward to. So speaking of Louisville football, they've they've got a first test tomorrow. They haven't played anybody really worth talking about. However, we'll see kind of where they stand tomorrow. But one of the one of the I guess key editions during the offseason was Colin Lacy, a transfer from South Alabama, and we discussed his injury at a collar broone break that required surgery that happened in fall camp. Initially, I believe they said six to eight weeks was the timeline. Uh, And and I think that that that's that's close to where we are now. But Jeff Bram on his Coaches show this week, Eric mentioned that he has not been cleared to play, but he is back in practice and that they think they may be able to get him back next week for Notre Dame. Just kind of get I guess it all is dependent upon you know, I guess how severe the break was, but you know, just what do I know? But I feel like this is this is pretty speedy progress. If that if he's if he's close to being cleared to play in just a week or so.
Speaker 7: Uh yeah, yes, and no, I mean I think that it's great progress. That means they're running any setbacks or any complications. But you know, bone bone fractures, though they're very painful and can be very complicated depending on the type of fracture, you know, there's not a lot of especially at the clavicle, there's not a lot of soft tissue trauma that would impact function. So you know, it's the soft tissue issues like if you had a really bad you know, a lot of unstable excuse me, a lot of issues with instability because of a ligament trauma, or you know, you had a tendon rupture, things that would really impact function, that's a different animal. But if it's a kind of a you know, just a normal fracture where they can either they can go in or either a heal on its own, or they can go in and you know, surgically stabilize it, and then it's about just letting that bone get strong enough to take the forces of the impact of whatever the activity is, so in this case obviously football.
Speaker 4: And then from that point, and you know, six d eight weeks is kind.
Speaker 7: Of a general term or that's what they're gonna throw out for everything generally with tissue, with healing, especially fractures.
Speaker 4: And then at that.
Speaker 7: Point, if the functions there the shoulder, which you know, depending on again depending on where that fracture is, is.
Speaker 4: Likely the case.
Speaker 7: It doesn't really take long to get them stronger, doesn't really take them.
Speaker 4: Along to get that reaction time back and the speed of the ability for him to move his extremities and to catch a ball.
Speaker 7: You know, worst case is it strong enough for him to land on it, because you know, likely that's likely.
Speaker 4: To happen at some point.
Speaker 7: So if those things are you know, if he's checking the boxes for all those things, then it's just full go and becomes you know, a week to week and day to day and game time decision.
Speaker 2: So you know, if he is if he is clear to go, you know, I'm I guess I'm asking you to speculating guests here, and I apologize for putting you in this spot, But you know, would they how much would they really utilize him in practice before giving him the green light to Okay, hey, let's put him out there on the field and see and you know, and let him play because obviously you want to be as cautious and careful as possible. But also, I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. I just feel like him kind of taking his first big hit in a game. It might make sense because hey, you know, at least he's doing it in a game that matters and not a practice. But I'm just curious, like would he be how fresh would he be in a game situation coming off of practice. I feel like he'd still be pretty limited.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's gonna be limited.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know, at this level, you know, the biggest thing is is can he perform what he needs to do as a receiver.
Speaker 4: You know, getting tackles, getting tackled.
Speaker 7: You know, there's no need to see how well he can take a hit. You know you're gonna go off the fact that it's strong enough to allow that to happen.
Speaker 4: Obviously.
Speaker 7: You know, as we all watch sports or have played them, we know not every tackle is the same, not every time you go to the grounds the same.
Speaker 4: But you want to protect him, you know, his value to be on the field is more important than seeing how well he can take a hit. In practice.
Speaker 7: Sure, there's gonna be some things he's gonna do, they're very physical in practice, to make sure that he's capable, you know, blocking taking some level of contact. There's no point for him to go to the ground. I mean a lot of times none. Most of these guys aren't going to the ground at this point because the risk reward is not as important, you know, it's not there. So yeah, I mean he's gonna you know, how well does he doing, you know, catching route, you know, running his routes, catching balls in all different aspects. Now doesn't mean he's gonna go out and play the same reps he might play in two to three weeks. But he's available, you know, not this week obviously, but the next week. You know, a lot of time is available. Can we get him out there and run some routes? Can we get him out there and get him involved in the offense. But maybe he's not going.
Speaker 4: To get as many reps as the guys who've been playing right now, so you know, you never know.
Speaker 7: But yeah, he's he's definitely gonna be in a conservative approach, I would suspect, you know, and just if all everything else is checking the boxes, then yeah we're not. We'll wait and see how he does when he gets to the game.
Speaker 2: About thirteen days ago exactly, almost Donald Cheney, a running back for Louisville who transferred him from Miami, he suffered what was described as a high ankle sprain, the dreaded high ankle sprain, And I know the recovery from that's probably different, just depending upon you know, the player and whatnot. But as a running back, what do you think the last thirteen days have been like for him as they try to get him healthy. I mean, I would imagine he's probably been off his feet. He's a guy that they know what he can do. He's a veteran, a guy who's played a lot of football before he arrived at Louisville. Is it is it probably just taking it easy and then doing some some some measurements in some way, some former fashion to kind of see if he's got enough he's got enough enough strength to play through it.
Speaker 7: That's a great question, Nick, honestly, because you know, I get these things all the time.
Speaker 4: I get these questions from patients.
Speaker 7: You know, differences in ankle sprains, even lateral ankle sprains, you know, they're all it all depends on how.
Speaker 4: The athlete presents. And in a high ankle sprain situation, it's even that much more so if he's unstable.
Speaker 7: If it's an unstable injury, a lot of times that takes uh, some kind of a surgery to stabilize it, especially to speed the recovery up.
Speaker 2: Uh, Is that rare though the surgery required?
Speaker 1: Not not.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say it's rare. It's not the most common way he would be treated.
Speaker 7: I know that to had this in college, everybody remembers because they used a new procedure which is becoming more and more of the gold standard, where the recovery time is a lot quicker on how they can go in and stabilized that the bones.
Speaker 4: But you know, it all depends on how stable it is.
Speaker 7: If it's pretty stable and otherwise just painful and swollen.
Speaker 4: Uh, I mean he's getting at it.
Speaker 7: That first thirteen days is aggressive, like we're gonna get the swelling out, We're gonna get the motion back, We're gonna start, you know, getting the muscle function back. So while making sure that you know, early aggressive treatment.
Speaker 4: The days of putting people in boots.
Speaker 7: Now college kid, I'm gonna put them in a boot around campus because I don't want something dumb to happen to them. But but it's putting people in boots and them just.
Speaker 4: Resting that that doesn't work.
Speaker 7: Uh So, yeah, they're that staff is obviously you know, inflammation control, you know, get that down the quick as you can, and then getting the function back in the ankle as fast as you can. So that way, you know, we're closing that gap between injury and return to play, especially in season.
Speaker 4: You know, you just.
Speaker 7: Don't have time to you know, and you gotta be aggressive, right, you have to be aggressive.
Speaker 2: You have totally You're going to.
Speaker 4: Keep the safety of the athlete at the forefront.
Speaker 7: But you know that's why you have highly trained staff who understands that, but our job is to get the athlete back on the field and and to do it and the way that they're the most effective, and they're obviously they're safe.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to the you know, hearing of of an athlete needing surgery, I could be totally off here, But when you broke into the industry and you carved at your career here and what you're doing, was the word surgery brought up for an athlete? Is it now viewed not as severe? Like if you could have a surgery that could be relatively minor and be back relatively quickly. And I know it all depends on what the injury is and what the severity of it is. But I feel like long ago, when you would hear that an athlete needed surgery, you would just expect not to see that guy for a really, really long time. And now I feel like that's that's no longer the case.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And I was talking about this. Have an athlete in there.
Speaker 7: She's a local soccer player, high level UH big with went to Withisconsin Big Wisconsin fan and everybody saw or if they watched the Alabama Wisconsin game at four quarterback, you know.
Speaker 4: Towards acl non contact first series of the game, and you know, it sucks. I mean, it does.
Speaker 7: But what I did bring up, you know, used to be that was a red flag, right like, oh no, that kid's career is a jeopardy or you know.
Speaker 4: And but now you know.
Speaker 7: With with surgical techniques being so much more advanced, with the rehab techniques and what we know on a rehab side as far as how aggressive we can be and early on in the recovery period from surgery, you know that that's not the case anymore. It's kind of like, yeah, you know, it's unfortunate, he's gonna miss the season.
Speaker 4: That sucks, but his career doesn't necessarily have to be over.
Speaker 7: You know, he he could come back and be eat or she could come back is as effective, if not more effective after the injury and continue to have a successful career. If that's the path that you know they're able to take. And so you know, with those advances and those different in surgeries and treatments and re you know, in different other conservative measures and preventative techniques, you know, they're they're a lot better off going into surgery than they once were. You know, those things have made a huge impact on recovery times and ability.
Speaker 4: To get back in season or or what would have been a season and a half is now, you know, a six month.
Speaker 7: Recovery or seven month recovery, so they're at least not missing back to back seasons or significant time.
Speaker 2: All right, rapid fire. Last question before we get you out of here. At the top of the hour, let's say Bourbon and beyond, you could only see one of the headliners sting Dave Matthews Band, Zach Bryan or Tyler Childers.
Speaker 4: You going with, man, that's tough.
Speaker 7: Well, first, I would narrow it down between Zach Brian and Tyler Childers.
Speaker 4: Same here, I think, and I think I would just go, you know, in a fifty to fifty I would err on.
Speaker 7: The side of the local guy and go with the Kentucky Well, yeah, Zach Bryant's not from Kentucky.
Speaker 2: I don't think now that I'll tell them no, but uh Schilders, yeah, hell yeah, we go. Good stuff, good stuff. We appreciate you, man, Eric, have a good weekend, brother. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 4: Ah, you do the same, see it, Nick?
Speaker 2: All right, that's doctor Eric McElroy proar in physical therapy. Yeah, Tyler shoulders, I think I may have found a way to be in attendance on Sunday, and I think I'm gonna do it. John, you should I'm gonna be a bird and beyond guy.
Speaker 5: You're gonna be a festival guy.
Speaker 2: Now I'm gonna be Yeah, I'm gonna bring the vibes and uh, you know, hopefully it can serve. That'd be fun. I need I need to be Rick for that to happen. But who knows. I think Rick actually Rick. I think Rick was born at the UH at the the country festival. They did well, always forget yeah, hometown rounds. All right, we gotta run quick break, we'll come back. We got five o'clock hour coming. Your waist to stick with us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety