Speaker 1: Even if you're listening to LA Dodgers Baseball on top of the Mountain on the World Chimney in LA Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Audio, what.
Speaker 1: David Bassey with you until at least seven o'clock right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports you tuned in to hear Dodgers mets. Well, Mother Nature had something to say about it. There's a rain delay in the top of the third inning, runners at second and third with one out in a scoreless tie. The Dodgers have Freddy Freeman at the plate when play resumes in the top of the third inning, threatening to put the first run of the game on the board. But the reality is, even if the Dodgers win this game, it's not ideal because we all know how taxed their bullpen has been so far to begin this season. They have thrown more innings than any other bullpen in baseball, two hundred and fourteen innings. And the Dodgers lose their starting pitch, or Clayton Kershaw, after just two innings and twenty six pitches, not because of injury, but because this delay is extended, so both starters out of the game after two innings. And in this day and age in baseball. Going back to that road trip in Atlanta where the Dodgers and Braves waited three hours to throw a first pitch, the reason why they waited three hours was because neither team and this goes across the board and baseball. These days, teams would rather wait to start the game even if there's a slim chance of rain, because neither team wants what's happening tonight to happen, and that is play the first two or three innings and lose your starter and go to your bullpen in a game that goes to the bullpen. More than ever, teams don't want to have to do it on nights they don't have to because of rain. So this shouldn't be a surprise that rain was going to be here. It's surprising they didn't push back the start time of this game. And now Griffin Canning and Clayton Kershaw are Nolan void after two innings and I don't know where the Mets bullpen is. I know they just came out of Fenway Park, but I could tell you where the Dodger bullpen is. And it's not ideal to have to cover six more innings tonight, even if you get four or five innings from Matt Soer. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have two lines open at eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. We will get back to your phone calls in a moment, but first we want to check in with our guy, Jose Moda. It's time to go around the horn with Jose Moda. All right, Jose Moda. I just laid it out. The Dodgers could win this game, but in some ways not ideal to start this road trip and the stretch of twenty five games against very good teams by having to cover six innings with your bullpen.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Always the impredictability of having the weather in the East and the things that obviously, as you talked about, they face in Atlanta, you know come through right away, and this tough stretch that they're going to come you know, go through. Well, this is where you have to really go back and look, David. The options that you have on guys can go long relief, and that's one of them is sour obviously, but the valuable casparrios and a dryer. It really comes into view, and you know what, before this trip they're already thinking about if we run into this situation, what are we going to be scrambling with. So this is not something that's you know, just caught them by surprise. Obviously, they're looking at the options as to who can come in if there's a delay, if there's a postponement or anything like that. But it's not the way you want to start it. But guess what, nobody's gonna wait for you or feel bad for you. Gotta go out there and pick it up where it is and hopefully they'll be able to stop the Mets and win a ball game somehow. Patching things up on the mountains, no.
Speaker 1: Doubt, Jose, But were you surprised, like in Atlanta when we were sitting there for three hours until ten pm Eastern time, they didn't do the same thing here.
Speaker 4: I am surprised by that, because, as you mentioned, that is the nightmare for any manager, general manager, anybody in the office, is if we cannot have our starter go out there, get wund up, go through the routine, throw fifteen pitches, twenty pitches, thirty pitches, and then lose them. That is ultimately what you want to avoid. And I was surprised that in fact, you know, the wave's been running there through that throughout the area. You know, for the last few days. Shot there was not presented that way because there's a couple of bands coming and obviously they got hit and might be getting hit again here soon.
Speaker 1: Jose. Motive is with us. Jose, what about that play in the third inning? Michael confordo tagging.
Speaker 4: Up, Yeah, Dave, here's one thing about that play. I learned that play in college. I learned that play in college to how to run on the basis when that happens, and it's very easy. It's first contact, the ball finds the glove, you go out there and tag up. And obviously we learned that in college because there's some tricks being put out sometimes by some of these teams who played in the fall, the junior colleges that wanted to be a cal state full listen, So coach HOGI clearly say, hey, this juggling thing that somebody tried on you just de minuted. The ball hits the glove, you go. So it is unfortunately the rule is not interpreted correctly on the booths. It's one of those things you've got to really be prepared to have your book with you, as we always do. But there's no doubt in my mind that when Dino Evil saw Comfordo get there, Comfordo did the right thing. He knew that he doesn't have to wait for that ball to go down. There's so many guys that will try any trick to fool you into not tagging, or to make you think that they're going to drop the baseball, and then even suspend the ball a little bit higher if they need to, and catch it lower just to throw you off. So I'm glad that the rule is so clear in size to the point, and Michael Comfortia knew exactly what the rule was.
Speaker 1: It's because they don't want to have an outfielder juggle the ball all the way into the infield.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. In fact, some frech employed sometimes you juggle it to the other outfield there just to say, let's confuse his base run as much as you can. But that's where you know guys that pay attention obviously with a base running instincts of players and the fact that details are covered so often from spring training. I mean, Dave, this is colored by Dino and Chris what it was covered also by Clay McCollough on things that can happen as you cover also ground rules, so many things that you are told do not play umpire just continue to run on other plays. Ay, you go out there and play the game correctly and know exactly what needs to happen for you not to be fooled by anybody. Just like the infield rule. I mean things like that that you've got to be very aware of when not two and one two. But you got to clear your head sometimes and actually you get a refreshing spring running here and there to make sure that nothing has changed, because we know there's some change and rules implemented every single season.
Speaker 1: Mozay, we're going to put you on hold. We're going to continue this conversation on the other side. Jose mode is with us during raindo laid Dodger time. We're gonna take another time out when we come back more Jose Mota, more of your phone calls at eight sixty six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. David Vass with you on m five to seventy. LA Sports.
Speaker 4: Scrip said, what fir, listen, you're listening to LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 3: On the World Champion LA Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: We continue on on raindo lay Dodger Talk. David Vassay with you in a raindelay. Top of the third inning, runners at second and third for the Dodgers, one out and Freddie Freeman at the plate. We have great news. They have announced at City Field that first pitch will resume at six thirty five. That's right, So in about twenty minutes baseball will be played and we'll see what the Meds and Dodgers do with their pitching. I personally believe a specially on the Dodgers side, second start for Kershaw, this long of a delay, especially now the Dodgers are hitting threatening, they're not going to bring Kershaw back. So I would say fifty to fifty with Griffin Canning as well. Jose motives sticking with us on the other side, Jose, what do you think about what the Mets and Dodgers do with their starters. Do you agree it's a little too long for Kershaw to come back?
Speaker 4: It's too long, it's too risky for both of them. In Griffin Canning is still on the wall well, and I got my clock running here at one twelve right now, our thirteen minutes right now since the LA started. So one thing you were talking about that was very important usage of the bullpen for the Mets, They're in very good shape of their bullpen. They used two relievers two days ago, then one reliever, and then through relievers and they have not repeated relievers. They'll figure that out. The best staff in basebaow and they have so many options right now because their pitchers are giving them length. That's what happens. So obviously we'll see how the Dodgers map it up. But certainly what you hoping you were talking about Bobby Miller before that one of these guys that's going to challenge somebody is able to go out there and say I'm here to stay when he gets a call up. Because they're patching up with a bullpen and the bullpen games, it's not the appropriate stretch. I have those things happening right now, so I hope somebody really sticks their head out and says, hey, I'm here to stay, and hopefully, you know, one of the guys from the minors, we'll be able to do that unless he goes, hey, cuse parents the starter now, and I have no reason to believe that he can't be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know the Dodgers believe he can be too, but with the state of their pitching staff, it feels like they get more out of Caspirius in the role that he's in right now than just having to use them once every five days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it is a valuable piece with him when you consider that his stuff plays so good. His stuff is one that he doesn't try from the strike zone. He can go out there and fill the zone. This guy wants the baseball, very in tune with what's happening in the game. One thing that really catches my ear when I talk to him is how much he knows about what happened, Like in the first thing, the batter, well, the guy was chasing two later in the game when he comes in to know exactly what it needs to go to. That's why he His misses are a lot of times on purpose to see how much a guy was going to xmund the zone. And there's very knowledgeable young man to a nail that number one a manager's dream because he wants the baseball. He's not going to go out there and try to go, you know, thirty five to forty pitches and get out of there. He wants the baseball for five or six innings, if it's a middle relief, known that the state of the picture rotation is the way it is. But crly a guy that you can trust in any type of situation, in fact, even to close a game where he came to do with that here very close, just a couple of days ago.
Speaker 1: Jose Mode is joining us during rain delay Dodger talk. The game will be resuming here in fifteen minutes at City Field, top of the third inning, runners at second and third, with Freddie Freeman at the plate in a scoreless tie, and Jose we talk about the Dodgers state of pitching, and we go back to last year's postseason run. I still don't feel like this offense gets enough credit, because if the Dodgers are going to get through this tough stretch, the way to take the burden off their staff is by scoring runs. And the Dodger offense has scored the second most runs in baseball, so they're doing their job. And I still don't feel as a unit they're getting enough credit.
Speaker 4: And I don't think as a unit they have really hit stride. I mean there's some nice stretches, you know, win five to six in a row. One of the discrepancies I've had is that home they average a full run over the road in terms of runs per game. But to average five point six per game, it's pretty awesome. But davidt some point also the pitching has to pick up the offense. We know that, you know, it's great to hit. It's not fun to be in a differencet every night and play from behind. It's very exciting to win, you know, combat games and come from behind games. But I just hope that there's more stability in allowing the offense to play their game a little bit more on the smother side without having the press into these certain situations of windows that happened during the game. It that's gonna happen about the guys throwing some most early because they're gonna still some runs. But you can say, you can always say when these these there's a little more distress in scoring runs when the opportunities are not there, when the windows are closing in the offensive side, when you just can't get it done. But uh, I just hope that we can flip things around. And going back to the postseason last year, no doubt, no doubt, it was about the offense scoring a lot of runs and torching other teams and at the same time capitalizing on every single mistake made. And it started with the Pottery series where the ball was outstanding, give them the ball to Yabamolta and things like that. But they pretty much made it on two and a half starters, considering that the state of injuries and all the you know, things that were lacking there. But glad to see the offense clicking. Hopefully they'll continue to do that, but I just want to see kind of things even out a little bit more and having the pitching pick up the offense sometimes.
Speaker 1: All right, Jose Mota. Before I'll let you go, a little known fact about the mysterious Jose Mota is that he is the true foodie on this show and the pizza talk earlier on. I did hear that what you got for us in New York? Jose, If somebody wants to go get a slice a pie, where would you recommend in New York to get a good pizza.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go to John's, There's no doubt about it. Okay, John's Yes on Bleaker Street. Yes. And now for a good Italian I like the old Tom Italian. So I'm going to go to Primona. Okaymola's on the east Side. Just an old throwback boning, uh Vill Palmer, John Clovers your entire place. So things like that are good. But I can't beat going New York because it's Dominican town. Washington Hikes, Vince Kelley's the area Dominican so he could go find anything you want from the dr.
Speaker 1: How could want Soto be sad he's still in New York with all that great Dominican food.
Speaker 4: How can he have this body language? One, Toto? Come on now, all the people supporting you there. But I mean that's another topic and we can get into a little bit more about.
Speaker 1: Hey, we'll do that during the next ring delay.
Speaker 4: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Talk.
Speaker 4: I mean, the whole documentary thing. I got to follow that too. That's a good stuff you got today. The guy waking up and hitting his phone bit. I mean, come on now, that blue light, Dave. You got to give some advice here too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, blue light, get the blue light before you call into.
Speaker 4: The show about the kmart one right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks a lot, Jose, and great to hear your voice. And before we let you go, this is the best time than any. Can you give us an update on how your dad, the legendary Mani Mota is doing.
Speaker 4: Pops was actually riding a tricycle today in his rehab where I get to take him two or three times a week, and he was quite happy. So I keep asking, like, Okay, when can he do this because he is dying to write that trike at down your stadium in the hallway. So they're like, little by little he's getting there. Maybe another week or so he'll be able to go to the stadium and ride his trike. Somebody next to him though, make sure he's you know, they'll lose his vout. But Dad is doing quite well, and thankfully, as always, I appreciate all the prayers and thoughts from so many people all over the world that have shunt up the talks to all of us, So thank you so much. Pops is uh what in fact? Pops is like, where's the game tonight? I can't find the game?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's on a five seventy, that's where the game is.
Speaker 3: Dad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's all believed that he was turning right away between between A five seventy and Pepe, and you know, he's he's quite happy.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 1: All right, Jose, thanks a lot, and we're so happy your dad is on the way back and can't wait to see number eleven back at Dodgers Stadium. We'll talk to you tomorrow. You take care there, he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast, and the Dodgers and Mets in rain delay here top of the third inning. But first pitch is coming up at six thirty five. Let's go out to our guy, Ira Craig in Long Beach. Can't have a rain delay Dodger talk without Iray Craig.
Speaker 3: What they I'm doing great?
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 3: I am doing my mighty fine. My friend. Listen, how old is Many Mota.
Speaker 1: I don't know how old he is, but he's in great shape. And that's the reason why he survived.
Speaker 3: Gollie Man, I mean that guy was old when he was still pinch hitting back in the seventies.
Speaker 1: That he will tell you. Whenever he pinch hit for guys like Dusty Baker or Willie starg Old, they did not like it. He was not a popular guy when he was sent to the on deck.
Speaker 4: Circle, but he was affected.
Speaker 1: Yes, he was a great teammate, and everybody loves many Mota and we're all really happy that he's on his way back. Hey, II, Ray Craig, you could appreciate that since the Dodgers are playing the Mets. Not only was Many Mota one of the greatest pinch hitters in baseball history, he also was one of the great hitting coaches and first base coaches in Dodger history. He was the first base coach in eighty eight when a Mike Soosha hit his big home run off of Dwight Gooden in Game four to tie the game, and he was the first base coach slapping Kirk Gibson when he hit his walk off home run against Dennis Eckersley.
Speaker 3: There you go, there's some key information right there. I can remember that night, man. I remember what I was doing where I was. I was a go and see Judas Priest that night when he away at Homer at Irvine Meadows, and I.
Speaker 1: Am not surprised.
Speaker 3: I was sitting right by, right by Irvine Medos watching the TV, and I was like, hold on, man, because if they get if they get, somebody on Gibson's coming up, I'm telling you. And sure enough you did and you hit that home run and we ran all the way through the strawberry fields. That Judus priest walked in, bought a beard, Knights went out, concert started. Rob Halford comes out and says, oh, here, you dogs just won a big game.
Speaker 1: That's correct, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Listen, you want some good pizza, dude, I got great pizza for you in Long Beach, Belmont Shore on Second Street. The oldest business on Second Street is Dominico's Italian Food.
Speaker 1: I've been there.
Speaker 3: Have you to Dominico's.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I've been to Dominico's. I wasn't sure.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's solid. It's solid, Creg.
Speaker 3: Well, their Italian food is good, but their ground sausage pizza is awesome.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a man of the people type of pizza. So we'll try that out. Thank you for the contribution.
Speaker 3: You also use the dipping the salad dressing to dip it ind.
Speaker 1: Oh come on, if you got to dip the pizza, it's not at the top, Craig, I'm sorry, dude.
Speaker 3: The salad dressing there is just.
Speaker 1: Why don't we just get a side of ranch, Craig.
Speaker 3: No ranch, bail on that same thing.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. If I have to dip my pizza and ranch or sauce, then I'm talking about Papa John's or Domino's. That ain't for me. Hey, that's the first thing we've ever disagreed upon. That's the first thing we've ever disagreed on. All Right, Greg, you're the man. Thanks a lot for the phone call. We got to run eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. I think we can all agree. If somebody says this is the greatest pizza and you dip it into something, it's not the greatest pizza. Eight six six nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers and Mets. We're gonna get things going here shortly. The Mets are going to bring out their reliever, Max Kranick in place of Griffin Canning, who was the starter for the Mets when the rain came down. And I would venture to say, in some form or fashion at some point here, you're going to have You're gonna have Matt Sower in some form or fashion in this game, because he's a starter in TRIPAA. He's been extended as a reliever out of the bullpen so so he's essentially your long reliever and in games like this you need Matt soer Hey, by the way, speaking of pizzas and all that, a quick good pizza, I gotta say, if you're from the valley, Baron's pizza is a pretty good one. On Ventura Boulevard. Let's go out to north Ridge. Carlos, Hey, you know the great one A Carlos You're on Dodger Talk, David.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the opportunity, Thank you very much. So I was not gonna, you know, talk about any specific player per se or anything like that. What I was gonna comment about was how, you know, the fan base for our team has grown over the year, especially last year after the World Series win, and how many players, how many fans who are new to baseball, you know, panic in May, we had a four game losing street recently, you know, and then it was just panic online, you know, all the Dodger groups like on Facebook, you know, negative comments, fire Roberts. There was fans that were happy that Barnsey left and the seat three left, you know, bashing you know, kersh because he got touched up a little bit. I think that we shouldn't do that. You know, as fans, we got to be more supportive of our team, good times and bad times. Unfortunately, some of these new fans, you know, kind of bums me out. And I know that there's a lot of fans out there who feel the same way. You know as well.
Speaker 1: If you become a fan the last ten or twelve years, Carlos, you've been spoiled because we all know it wasn't like that, even as recently as twenty eleven. I think we all need to have that perspective that this is the golden age of Dodger baseball, and it's hard to acknowledge that when you're in it, because twenty thirty years people will look back in sports history and they'll say that was the greatest time to be a Dodger fan right there, and we're living it right now absolutely all right, Carlos, thanks for the phone call you made sense. I like that. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number I wanted to share with you. Player A and player B that are playing in tonight's game. Player A is Juan Sota, who signed the richest contract in North American sports history. Player b is Taoscar Hernandez, who re signed with the Dodgers for three years and sixty six something million dollars. And we all know how great of a teammate Taoscar Hernandez is, and that should factor into all this. Look, I've confirmed the Dodgers had real talks with Scott Boris and they were a real player for Juan Soto. If they signed Juan Soto, they probably don't re sign ti Oscar Hernandez. And I may be in the minority, And I know how good of a hitter Juan Soto is, but that's all he is. He's a good player. He's a good hitter. Not even a good player. He's a good hitter. He doesn't play the outfield that well. We have seen him have lapses of hustle, not only this year but in years past. He's a great hitter, but just in this season. Small sample size of the first fifty games to Oscar Hernandez has one less hit than Juan Soto. He has two more home runs than Juan Soto. He has way more RBIs than Juan Soto. Taascar Hernandez has ten home runs and thirty eight RBIs, while Juan Soto has eight home runs and twenty one RBIs Taascar Hernandez coming into the game tonight hitting three oh seven Juan Soto two forty three. Taoscar Hernandez has a better slug in percentage ops ops plus And if you're into that silly stat of war, Taascar Hernandez beats Juan Soto in that category as well. Not to mention the great teammate and inclusive teammate, and the great fielder and the heart and soul of the Dodgers, ta Oscar Hernandez is. Give me eight other ta Oscar Hernandez is, and I'll beat your eight other Juan Sotos without a doubt. Don't ever forget that eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number that'll do it for us on rain delay Dodger Talk. Hopefully no other rain delays, and after the game we'll have the postgame show, all the highlights and postgame reaction as well, But for now we're sending it back to Rick Monday and Steven Nelson at City Field, top of the third inning in a scoreless tie with Freddie Freeman at the plate and runners in scoring position, Rick and Steven right around the corner on a five to seventy LA Sports and the world champion Dodgers Audio Network Send it Away,