Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray. I'm going easy Boston New Radio.
Speaker 2: For those of you who missed the last hour, we'll get back to that subject, I'm sure next week. And I wished that I had heard from some of our New York listeners. I think they're probably in a state of shock. But I have another story that I'd like to talk about, and that is a law which has just gone into effect in the state of Florida, and I think it's a pretty darn good law and I'd love to hear what you think about it. This story was actually found today and recommended to me by Marita, the producer of Nightside. And the law that we're talking about in Florida that has past, which is pretty innovative, by the way, and I also think makes a lot of sense. It's Florida's new Halo law, which creates a buffer zone around first responders. Okay, what does it mean? So, first of all, let's de find first responders. First responders are police, fire EMTs, amongst others. Okay, the Halo law, which went into effect on January first, Wednesday in Florida. Halo is an acronym which stands for honoring and listening to our officers honoring h and listening l to our officers HALO. Under the law, if a first responder of any type asks someone to stand back, and this could be again firefighters, law enforcement, medical personnel, you must move twenty five feet away. Now, twenty five feet is not a huge difference. It's a very reasonable distance which would allow fire fighters, police officers, or EMTs to deal with what the whatever problem they're dealing with. Now. If you do not, and you continue to interfere or harass these first responders, you could face what they call a second degree misdemeanor charge in Florida, which would potentially put you in jail for sixty days or a five hundred dollars fine. So it's it's a I think it's a very reasonable effort to stop people from interfering with police officers, firefighters, or EMTs. According to this article it's out of the Tallahassee Democrat, which is a newspaper of the state capitol in Florida. Support US say the twenty five foot buffer zone increases safety, removes distractions, and protects first responders from threats, harassment, and physical interference during stressful situations. Critics of course, they'll always be critic say the law will be used to prevent anyone from taking videos of law enforcement officers breaking the law or brutalizing people. Now, let's assume that you watching a police officer arrest someone. You can't take a videotape twenty five feet away. I mean, how incompetent are you. What this essentially is saying is that as the police officer is effectuating an arrest, you don't have the right to interfere with what he or she is doing. You don't have the right to impede what he or she is doing. You don't have the right to stick a camera you're well, a camera or your smartphone in the face of the officer while he or she is attempting to do their job. Twenty five feet How long is twenty five feet? Not very long when you think about it, it's simply eight and a third yards. I mean it's it's not a huge difference. They also have to be five hundred feet away twenty five feet. Now. Of course, the aclused Florida chapter predictably said the bill was quote all about preventing bystanders from being able to observe with their own eyes an officers excessive use of force and record those images with their cell phone or other device for the public to see. So I guess the ACLU says that people from a distance of twenty five feet cannot see something, or from a distance of twenty five feet can't record something if they want to record it. Obviously, police officers can be recorded. Police officer can't tell you don't record them because they're in a public place. But this is I think genuinely a piece of legislation that every state should consider. It will diffuse some of these situations. First of all, when a police officer is trying to do what they have to do, which has questioned someone and maybe in some cases arrest them and maybe arrest the people with a use of force. If the person who is not compliant, the police officer doesn't need someone standing two feet away from them distracted. What are you doing? They live them alone? Lord, he's not bothering anybody. Oh simple as that. You know, we have lost in this country all respect for all police officers because of the excesses of a few. Now it's called in Florida, it's SBE four makes it illegal. After you've been verbally worn to approach a first responder or remain within twenty five feet while the responder is performing a legal duty, which to me is pretty simple. You can't block or interfere with their ability to perform the duty, you can't threaten the first responders with physical harm, and you can't harass the first responders. Makes all the sense in the world. Harassment in the laws to find as an action directed and a first respondent that quote intentionally causes substantial emotional distress in that first responder and serves no legitimate purpose. Emotional distress, legitimate purpose and which parties may decide if they apply were left undefined. However, now, as you would expect, Representative Angela Nixon she's a Democrat from Jacksonville, introduced an amendment to clarify that harass did not include asking a first responder questions out of concern for the health, safety, well being of the person that is being responded to. So let's assume someone is on the street and the EMT is attempting to perform CPR. I don't know, maybe give them mouth to mouth, maybe chest compressions. So what this knucklehead Democratic legislator wants to do is you could go up.
Speaker 3: To the first Excuse me, excuse me. I notice you're attempting to do mouth to mouth resuscitation. Is it really necessary? Is this person really dying? What's going on here? Could you explain? I'm just an interested bystander.
Speaker 2: Moron, moron. The Another state representative from another Democratic representative, Levaughn Bracy Davis, a Democrat, said would have to find peaceful audio or video recording for photographing or eyewitness observing of a first responder as a legitimate purpose. That failed to pass. Also, the state rep. Who who Angela Nixon? She's now my new favorite state rep in Florida, uh said she. She proposed amendment to change the name of the bill to the I don't want the world to see the police kill an unarmed, innocent man like George Floyd again, so I want to protect bad cops and violate free speech. That did not pass. Surprisingly anyway, I think this makes all the sense in the world. By the way, the people who recorded Derek Chauvin murdering George Floyd did so at distance of about twenty five feet. They were not prevented from recording the arrogant actions of that Minneapolis police officer keeping his knee on the neck of George Floyd for uppers of ten or eleven minutes and as the jury found him guilty of murder. So my question to you is whether you're a police officer or not, let's have a conversation. Do you think Massachusetts Now, I do think Massachusets would pass such a law because I think we're too progressive. But I would love to know do you think that's a reasonable off. Twenty five feet? I gotta tell you, twenty five feet is about halfway between a Little League pitchers mound. A Little League pictures mount I think is fifty two feet. So if you can think of going to a Little League baseball game and think about you could stand halfway between home plate and the pitchers mound, and that's all the law would require. Twenty five feet six one seven, four ten thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty. If you're a law enforcement firefighters, firefighters respond to scenes where people throw things at them. Believe it or not, that's happened a lot. The EMTs respond to situations where people try to interfere with them. Police officers all the time are getting harassed when they're trying to do. Look, if police officers are making a bad arrest, there are civil actions people can take against police officers.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I don't know that any police officer in his right mind, unless he wants to end up in jail for the rest of us, like like Jarff Chauvin or the Minneapolis police officer has found himself, any officer in his right mind is not going to do the sort of things that some police officers have done. And I say you need more police training. I think you need to probably do more psychological work with the police department applicants to make sure that you're getting police officers who are going to treat all of us, whether it's you or me, respectfully when we're pulled over at night. Now, again, we also have a responsibility to drive with the police officer in a rational way. Where the police officer said, would you police roll down your window, they can kind of roll down your window. I always advise friends of mine, both hands on the steering wheel, if you can put the dome light on so the police officer can see you, that's the way make it easier on the police officer. Here are the number six months, seven two five, four, ten thirty, six months, seven nine, three, one, ten thirty. The Florida halo law makes sense to me? Does it make sense to you? And if you're somebody who really disagrees with it, tell me why, tell me why this is? This is I think this is not twenty twenty anymore. It's twenty twenty five. And I think that a piece of legislation like this would not have passed in twenty twenty in Florida or in any state. And I think it could pass. I'd like to think Massachusetts, but realistically I don't. Coming back on Night's side, let's have at it back after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: By the way, I do want to talk about this issue, and I'm I we'll be disappointed if more people aren't interested in talking about this issue. At eleven o'clock, we will change topics and we're going to talk about did you make a New year? New Year's resolution? Rob Brooks has the best New Year's resolution he makes. He makes the resolution every year not to make a New Year's resolution. But for those of you who actually made a resolution three nights ago, well, maybe two nights ago, now that you think about now that I think about it gonna but I mean, I think we're probably what seventy hours into the new year at this point. Have you kept your New Year's resolution? We'll talk about that at eleven at the twenty hour, But I want to talk about this halo law in Florida. I think it will do a lot to take down the temperature when people see a police officer, oh, for that matter, a firefighter, an EMT doing what they're supposed to do. And again, I think that that when you're in a situation where all of a sudden there's police activity, it's normal for people to to rubber neck. You always know when there's a police car somewhere on the turnpike that maybe is pulled over the side of the road, not even necessarily write someone in a ticket, but to help them, everybody slows down. Have you ever noticed that, no matter what, you look in the distance and you see a blue light, and the police car could be simply there helping somebody, just helping somebody who has a flat tire, or even just you know, preventing someone from running into the back of the car. Everybody has to slow down. It's just normal human nature to be intrigued and interested what's going on, what's going on? But then you have situations when police are arresting someone, and you know you've seen it on TV many times people try to almost interfere with that arrest. Look, police have a right to arrest you. If they have arrested you improperly inappropriately, you have right to go back and sue them in civil court. May not be easy to win. In some cases you do they can, you can win. But police officers, I think, in the wake of George Floyd, have received better training and I think that police officers the forces now are much more govors. I can't help but thinking about this woman police superintendent down in New Orleans who has just been horrific watching her hold these news conferences. That she had no idea that these materials were available in New Orleans. We mentioned that the other night. So I just want to talk about this law. Does it bother you or no? Does it bother you? Do supported if this law was proposed in Massachusetts might not have a chance to pass, And I think it's a good law to be proposed. You know where the American Civil Liberties union is gonna come down. They're gonna say, oh no, no, oh no. This is only intended as they have in Florida. So, if you're a police officer out there, if you're the spouse of a police officer, if you're the partner of a police officer, does it make you if a law like this pass, would it make you feel a little more comfortable knowing that the person in your family, Again, whether it's a son or a daughter, or a mom or dad. It's a dangerous job, and it becomes most dangerous when they're trying to effectuate an arrest. For firefighters, it becomes it becomes a dangerous job. Every fire they respond to. They have no idea what is inside the building that's burning, and everybody wants to ask them questions, what's going on? What's going on? Leave the firefighters alone, Leave the EMT alone. Someone flops on the ground and the EMT comes by. You don't have to go over what's going on. That is unfair to the person on the ground. Never mind the EMT. The EMP has to do their job. They have to focus intently on what they're doing in order to try to save someone's life. That's their purpose. They're not there to answer your questions. When I was a TV reporter out there, you would have people all the time coming up to you like they wanted their own personal broadcast. What's going on? Watch the news and I'll tell you at six o'clock or I'll tell you at eleven o'clock. Simple as that. So a halo law which basically gives police officer, firefighter or an EMT a buffer zone. We have buffer zones now at abortion sites where protesters need to be kept a certain distance away. They can still protest, but they can't protest in someone's face. And it's the same principle when you think about it, it's the exact same principle. The person who's interested in what's going on, they can videotape, but from twenty five feet away, the protest with the abortion clinic can protest, but they can't impede someone who's going, however strongly they may feel. Let's go to Matt in Southbridge. Matt, thanks for getting this going here. Your thoughts on this piece of legislation that's now Laura in Florida, good idea about it here?
Speaker 5: In your opinion, I think it's a great idea. I think it will help lower stress levels at scenes where involving first responders, where things can get a little hectic, they get.
Speaker 2: More than hectic, they get more than hectic sometime. Are you involved in it, either as a police officer, firefighter, or EMT or do you have someone in your family?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, I'm a police officer.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much. What has been your experience. I have tried to report this as as honestly as I can. I've read from the Jacksonville newspaper about this law. Have you found that when you're out trying to an effect situa and arrest people in any way, shape or form, are at least at a minimum minimum distracting. Have you ever had people interfering with you performing your duties?
Speaker 5: Yes, and, like you alluded to earlier, since twenty twenty, it has become more prevalent. And what I can say is, I've been a police officer approximately thirty years and the last thing a police officer in my department, in most departments, talking to other officers want to do is work inside the building. So you would have all the junior officers would be stuck working in the service division or the cell room. Now that is the most highly coveted position, which I think says a lot where the officers no longer want to be on the street, they want to be in the building away from the public.
Speaker 2: So you've worked for thirty years, have you noticed over the course of your career, is this something that kind of goes back and forth like a pendulum. My sense is that after the horrific incident involving you know, George Floyd, what that police officer did was was ah indefensible in my opinion. I don't know how you feel about it, but I agree.
Speaker 6: I agree.
Speaker 2: So obviously then people took that and everybody who was wearing a badge and vis in the blue, we had all of that that controversy. My sense is that the pendulum is swinging back. What do you think.
Speaker 5: I think it is maybe not so much in Massachusetts, but not as quickly as other parts of the country. Yeah, but I think and you talked about training earlier, which I think is very important, and what you what you feel to mention though with training, with additional training comes additional funds which we are not are not getting for the training, not for the officer, for the training, and what we're seeing in Massachusetts. Since COVID was the MPTC that runs all our trainings state wide, it went to an online training platform where it's a passive learning situation where I literally will have to sit through eighteen hours of videos this training session. And if you do any studying on learning, passive learning is one of the worst ways to learn or to teach. Rather, and you're an attorney, right, yes, sir. Now you know case law and a constitutional law is forever changing. Now think about it. I'm a new police officer. I'm only twenty two and now I have to watch a six hour video on constitutional law and I have questions, but I can't ask any questions because I'm looking hearing at a computer screen. Yeah, so I agree with this, Laar. I think it would help you. I think it would even help It would help the public out as well. And you know, unfortunate events probably won't happen because you have that buffer of twenty five feet and you can still fail. From twenty five feet, you'll actually get a picture of the whole scene instead of a close up, or if you want to coach, you could.
Speaker 2: Get absolutely no police officer wants someone with a camera in they're face two feet away. Why are you doing this? What are you doing this for? I mean, first of all, I was distracting, and at that moment in time, if you're really dealing with a suspect who's dangerous, that guy might grab your gun while you're distracted. I mean, your focus needs to be on the person you're you're trying to to arrest. It's as simple as that. By the way, when you talk about training working in radio and television, I work in what's called the private sector. You're in the public sector. Uh, there's a whole industry out there of companies that have that have taken advantage, in my opinion, of societal situations, so that everybody, I think every employee has to sit there through this passive training and you know that that it just doesn't it You listen to it because you have to. Okay, you know what the point is. It takes them six hours to tell you something that they could that they could instruct you on with for six minutes. But if they produced six minute videotapes, they wouldn't be able to charge the exorbited prices. This it's a cottage industry, is what it is. In my opinion. Matt that the.
Speaker 5: But I've noticed the training with the younger officers it's not working as well as when we had it in person, where you could ask questions and get in the professor or the instructors to bounce them back.
Speaker 2: Of course. Yeah. And many people are going to say, well, gee, I don't understand that. I mean, it isn't a question of I disagree with it, uh and have a debate with the person, but I don't understand what is meant by that. That's that's the part of education.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Or you know, you're a police officer and you you know, you read some case Laura, and you ask a question of oh, I went on a call last week, but you don't have that ability anymore to ask questions and get at guidance.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. Look, thank you for your for your career, thank you for your service, and stay safe out there. And again, you sound like the sort of police officer that that we should have. Look in Boston there, they're now dying to recruit police officers they don't have. They're down like four hundred police officers in the city of Boston, down about forty.
Speaker 5: We're down about ten percent. No, it's it's unfortunate and hopefully where else.
Speaker 2: In what other city of police officers the world? The the roster is down New Orleans. I think I read something today. They're down like seven hundred officers.
Speaker 5: No, it's it's nationwide. There is a recruitment and retention crisis that no one's talking about. Yeah to the points. Yeah, we're going to see it in my my location. We're gonna I think we'll start seeing forced overtime in the next year or so, which is unfortunate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and which which is forced overtime means you're forced to work in a high stress job where you're making decisions on you know, do I draw my weapon or whatever, and you should not. Forced overtime is not consistent with good police work in my opinion, it absolutely I agree.
Speaker 5: I agree, Dan, I appreciate you're taking the time and have a happy New Year.
Speaker 2: Happy New Year to you and say say, okay, thanks, Matt, appreciate you. All Right, Well you heard what Matt had to say. I would love to hear what you have to say. I think it's a fascinating topic. But I may be barking up the wrong tree, and if I am, we'll change topics. But I would like to talk about this. Should police officers, firefighters, and EMTs have the right to say to people who are in any way, shape or form interfering with them conducting their what they do to stay back twenty five feet. That's a great piece of legislation in my mind, despite what the American cent for Liberties Union says, if you disagree, bring it on. If you agree, you could bring it on as well. Six one seven four ten thirty six one seven thirty Coming right back on night Side.
Speaker 1: It's night Side with Ray Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Al. Let's get back to the call. I was going to go to Eric in Natick next, Eric, welcome next to on Nightside. How are you serving time?
Speaker 7: I am out there here.
Speaker 2: Eric, got to turn that radio. Don go right ahead.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, Happy New Year, Happy.
Speaker 2: New Year to you, Eric. Thanks you gotta you guys got to turn that radio down because we have a delay. As I'm sure you know. What's your thought about this Haylo law in Florida. You like it or not?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 7: I love it. I'm actually I don't want to be too harsh, but it's actually sickening that a lot like this even needs to exist because you know, everyone does their job and you can't stop people from doing their job. So even while you're doing the radio, imagine if someone is two feet away from you, like staring at you or distracting you while you're trying to talk to your audience. Like and I think, I think, I.
Speaker 2: Just think that's a great point.
Speaker 7: Yep, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I think that I think that's a great point. I mean, can you imagine if uh if if when people are out trying to you know, work as a roof or work as a plumber. Uh, you know, get up on the roof there, like it was this guy putting the nails in right. Of course you it just makes absolute great common sense, Eric, but we we can't in this society. Remember after the George Flay Floyd murder, it was every police officer was looked at with suspicion. It didn't matter that they were a good, decent police officer who was trying to go out and do the right thing by his community. Because he was because he had a badge and he was a police officer, he was looked at derisively. And it still happens in the eyes of some people.
Speaker 7: Yes, and I think there's a lot of things that attribute to that, like like news media coverage of it, like negative stories about other instances where I mean you're talking about small fractions. I mean this, for every one bad interaction where a cop went overboard, there's at least one hundred good interactions where cops went above and beyond and did what they were supposed to do.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree with you more. Now, do you think the.
Speaker 7: Media small stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But I look, the George Floyd circumstance was an abomination that was, in my opinion, out now cold blooded murder. And I'm glad that there were people there when I don't know if you remember the the demeanor of the police, the police officer, uh and I don't even want to call him a police officer. Derek Chauvin from Minneapolis that after he got up and took his knee off the neck of George Floyd, he struted around like a peacock, like somehow he had just done something heroic, when what he had done was was the cowardice. You know, basically, while others kept him Floyd from your breathing, getting up, he basically killed the guy. But but the media didn't put it in any context. They didn't say, look, this is a guy who who went way beyond what he ever should have done and put him in jail. That I talked about that from the first night. Put him in jail. Uh, he's he's he's not a police officer, he's a criminal. Put it in some context. But he doesn't represent the most police officers, just just just as if as the pedophile priests didn't represent. I have friends of mine who are Catholic priests, good Catholic priests, who they told me they no longer would when they would go up to a public restaurant, they would never wear their collar because people would look would look at them like, well, you must be like those other pedophile priests. It's just not fair.
Speaker 7: I know, it's definitely not fair. And the old expression one bad apple ruins the entire bunch. I mean, that's why expressions like that exist, because you know, like you said, priests, just because there's a segment of them that were pedophiles, it doesn't mean the entire priesthood are pedophiles. It just means that there was a small section. And yes, it's unfortunate that it was hidden for so long, and there's more and more cases that came out about it, But that doesn't the gate everyone who is our good priest and who do do their job and do believe and follow the right path. And yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, the thing that's interesting is that when we hear a horrific story about I don't know, you know, Diddy or or some entertainer who's accused of, you know, doing inappropriate things, we don't project that on all entertainers. If we hear about some you know, famous athlete who does something really stupid Pete Rose, for example, we don't assume that all athletes were gambling on the sport in which they participated. We look at those cases on very much of an individual basis. But when it comes to a bad police officer comes to a bad priest, maybe because they are people who are perceived as in positions of authority. I don't know. We don't field in terms. We don't field in terms of teachers. You know, you'll have some high school teacher who hits on a fourteen year old girl. Uh, we don't assume every high school teacher is doing that. But with the police, the police were given a bum rap because of Derek chovin uh. And and I think that this law would go a long way to to maybe restoring some faith in our police life.
Speaker 7: I hope so too. And like I said, it's very surprising that there even needs to be a law. You said it yourself. It's common sense, like let people do what they're supposed to be doing. And as far as I'm just gonna say one more thing, as far as like when you get pulled over, you're absolutely right. The smartest thing as a pedestrian you can do or a citizen is put your hands on the wheel whatever. As soon as the police officer exits their vehicle, anything that you can do to keep them at ease because they are heightened, the adrenaline kicks in. Uh, they don't know the person has a weapon, if they're reaching for something, they have no idea. They don't know you. They just pulled you over. They may they may have ran your plate, but they don't know your story. So you do anything in your power to alleviate any concern they might have. And the the interaction between the two of you, or between the citizen and the police officer, guaranteed nine times out of ten, is going to go smoothly, and maybe if you were speeding and how you if you were respectful and you know, honest and you know, just care free and just you know, let the make the officer be at ease, maybe they'll say, you know what, make sure you're just slow down next.
Speaker 2: Time, exactly exactly you you. Sometimes people talk themselves into tickets when they can talk themselves out of tickets and just get a warning if they if they treat the officer respectfully. Because I got to tell you from my experience officers that I know there's a lot of really dumb people. Would you pull me over? What do you do? We are you doing? What are you doing? And you know immediately that kind of sets the tone for the conversation. Eric, I loved you call. Please keep calling the show. Thank you, sir, thank you.
Speaker 7: Happy to hear to you and your family.
Speaker 2: Right back at you, Eric, Happy New Year to you as well. We have a lot of listeners in Natick, that's for sure one of my favorite communities. Take a quick break one line at six one seven, two four ten thirty. Also, if you want to try to get through six one seven nine three one ten thirty, we will change topics at eleven o'clock, we go to the twentieth hour, though it's only for me the twelve hour this week, gonna want to know about your New Year's resolutions and they still intact, probably some of them have already been broken. We'll be back on night Side more calls right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Way live from the Window World night Sight Studios on' WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: By the way, you know, last home, we talked about New York City's congestion pricing. Well, there was a federal it was an effort by the state of New Jersey to stop it, saying that this was going to have an impact on New Jersey roads because people would use the Jersey bridges to avoid it. And a federal judge has cleared the way for the Sunday launch of congesting congestion pricing in New York City. Good luck, New York City. Let's keep going here. I'm gonna go next. Who's up next? Down? Greg is in Boston. Hey, Greg, welcome. We're talking about the Florida law, the so called Halo law, which creates a twenty five foot buffer zone for police officers, responding police officers, firefighters, and EMTs. Your thoughts, Greg? Hello, Hello Greg, your thoughts? What's your thought on this?
Speaker 8: Yes, this is Hubert, I'm I'm sorry. This is Frank.
Speaker 2: This is Frank. Okay, so let's get that squared away. This is not Greg, this is Frank. Yeah, okay, Well, Frank, go right ahead.
Speaker 8: I think it's gonna be a very troublesome law because now you're gonna tell the person in the goal twenty five feet, So you got to figure out the twenty five feet and how many other people you're gonna tell go twenty five feet? So now you may end up having the rest two three, four people beside the suspect something.
Speaker 2: Well, if if they don't, if they don't comply with let me ask you this, Frank. Let's assume you're driving down the street and a police officer steps in front of your car and says you got to stop, okay, and you don't know why you're being told to stop. What do you do?
Speaker 8: I stopped?
Speaker 2: You bet you?
Speaker 8: So, if people there's this notion that people are are putting police officers down because of certain instances is overblown. We still respect the police. People still respect the police, they still obey the law, and this kind of stuff is troublesome, and it's also indicative of what's happening in Florida and if people of Florida gonna have to get off, but they did. They they're abandoned books. They're saying if they have elections or or they're.
Speaker 2: Not banning books in Florida. I don't know what what what stations you're watching, they're not banning books in Florida. What books? What books have been banned in Florida, Frank.
Speaker 8: He's already they've already had laws that said you can't have this book, you can't have that book. And also they named.
Speaker 2: Me one of the books that are Frank doing you a favor? Okay, Frank, respectfully, could you name me one of the books that were banned in Florida.
Speaker 8: I can't tell you which ones, but I can say they have been banned books.
Speaker 2: Well, you're you're you're telling me. Here's what. Let me explain to you what happened in Florida if I could, because I looked into this. They have taken some books that were in portions of the public library which were called you know, children's sections, and they have moved those books into you know, teen sections or adult sections. There were certain books that get into certain topics that people in the state of Florida, and you know, libraries and also representatives felt that kids should not be exposed to those type of books at that age. There have been no books that there's no book that has been banned in Florida. Frank, it's it's it's just a misnomer. It's it's incorrect.
Speaker 8: Florida and Florida just had a ballot question that they said couldn't pass on less sixty percent the people voted for it, when in any normal situation, if you were over fifty percent, the ballot or the election was won or lost. Now that they're even restricted.
Speaker 2: On so, let me ask you this. I'm unfamiliar with that. What was the What was the ballot question, Frank? What was the ballot question?
Speaker 8: They want? They want the constitutionalized abortion and you had to have at least six days. I made it so that you had to have sixty percent, and since it only came out to like fifty five percent, the measure failed.
Speaker 2: You might you might be correct on that. Frank, I'm not familiar with it, but I will grant you you might be correct on that. It could be within the floridaction. It could be within the Florida State Constitution that in order to amend the constitution you have to get over a certain percentage, because sometimes it's harder to amend the constitution than just by a majority vote. Frank, I appreciate it. We've covered I got three more folks before. I'm just telling you that. I'm telling you you might be correct on that. But for example, do you know how how many states it takes. Frank just hung up. I didn't hang up on him. It takes three quarters of the states to amend the US Constitution. Okay, that's what the US Constitution says. Let's go next to Glenn and Brighton. Glenn, get me back on track. Please go ahead, and Glynn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love this topic. I wish I knew Harvard Hilbergrace you wanted number one and number two. I wish it could extend it in the next do because it's a very good, very good topic. Because I agree with the tone into theear part. I don't agree with the you know, buff I don't like any kind of buffer zone twenty five. They do it with tobacco abortion. I remember the Supreme Court struck down the Bufferson or on abortion the you know, I think the idea.
Speaker 2: Is that, well, the idea is that if someone's going into receive a medical procedure, whether you agree with it or not, whether I agree with it or not, you can sit there and have a sign. You can protest, but you can't be in someone's face. That's all they're saying. I mean, if you all of a scientist.
Speaker 4: The part I find arbitrarian capricious is I mean, do people carry tape measures? Now, no, you're half a foot two clothes. I mean you're forty four. I mean, Hannah, they.
Speaker 2: Put they they're able to put up barricades, okay, and basically that you can't cross over the barricade. I mean it's like when when the President of the United States comes and speaks at a public event, they have you know, they have police. Look, when there's a crime scene, they put up the yellow tape. You know that, Glenn, And you can't say, oh, I'm going to go Crocker, I want to investigate that crime scene. So no, I think the same piece of legislation that has some merit. I wish Harvey called in and we'll get Harvey on this as a matter of fact, some night. How's that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because he's the first person I thought of when you brought this up, because I remember the buffers oone thing on the ambush that was McClellan versus Cokeley. I don't remember know mccollan's first name. It was Martha Coakley. And I thought the Supreme Court struck a down ninety zero.
Speaker 2: No, I do not. I believe so they don't have the right to protest. But you don't have the right to sit on the stairs and impede people's walking in. You don't have a right using and be shouting in their ear from two feet away as as they're walking in the door. That's home. I mean, if you're going in to have your appendix taken out, and and I did, and I think, no, you know, Glenn, you should not. I can't prevent you physically. No, Glenn, you can't take your appendix out. Come on.
Speaker 4: I think it could be fine tuned a little bit. And I'm not saying it's a bad look.
Speaker 2: Twenty five feet is not is not a huge distance. I mean you can videotape police officers from twenty five feet pretty easily. Okay, Yeah, I mean, if they said you've got to stand back one thousand feet five hundred feet, that would be arbitrary and capricious. But I think twenty five feet is a reasonable distance in my opinion. I think it'll I think it will with stand constitutional review. I really do.
Speaker 4: Let me get one.
Speaker 2: More India before the break. Okay, huh, I'm gonna get one more in before the break.
Speaker 4: Thanks buddy, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna give you. We always give the right in the in the final hour of the week, and even though it's really a hybrid twentieth hour. Absolutely, Thanks Glenn, talk to you later.
Speaker 4: Thank you too.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you much. Jim and Roxford. Jim, you're next on Nightside. Gotta get more.
Speaker 6: That point of view. They're not doing it on this point of you.
Speaker 2: Are you talking to me or you're having a conversation of your own? Jim, you're in the air.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, so I didn't know. Okay, did That'll be real quick. I know it's time to go. Okay. I heard you guys comps story, and I know you gots talking about mister Floyd. Guess what, reader, why Tom's got a bad reputation because they act bad no matter what if you look at what's beyond the tailor. They broke into her apartment and she's innocent and it shot her. Uh huh yeah, Okay, I got a lot of incidents. Okay, some reads they seem to all be with minority.
Speaker 2: What so, Jim, let me ask you this. Let me because we're a little bit tight on time. What percentage of cops do you think are Derek Chauvin type cops? What percentage?
Speaker 6: I can tell you fifty percent?
Speaker 2: Okay, I think you're dreaming about that. There's no way you can prove that, but I think the statistic that you u if it was fifty percent, you'd have many more George fully cases.
Speaker 6: And many Why is every case you guys at the media include wonder one. It's always a minority, is never any other. It's always minorities getting hit. And guess who are hurting us? It is the European, Caucasians or white or snowflakes.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, Jim, what what percentage of Boston you live in Roxbury? What percentage of Boston police officers are minority in your opinion?
Speaker 6: Oh, that's easy, that is totally forty. The rest is everything else well, so you.
Speaker 2: Have forty percent in your opinion already. Okay, yes, what percentage of the American population happens to be minority? Do you know?
Speaker 6: I think No, I don't.
Speaker 2: It's about about it's about ten percent black, about ten percent black, about twelve percent Hispanic, and maybe three percent Asian.
Speaker 6: So okay, it is minorities getting shot, stabbed, Rundo was sprayed and do ooh, I'm afraid because we moved. But as the Caucasian cops, nothing happens too.
Speaker 2: Because yeah, I think I think you're looking at through a pretty biased lens. But I'm glad you called, and I'm glad I wish you called earlier because we could talk longer. But keep calling the show. We'll have conversations.
Speaker 6: Okay, Okay, bye bye.
Speaker 2: Have a happy New Year to those of you in the line. I apologize, sure, wish you called earlier. We're going to go to New Year's Resolutions right after the break one night side