Speaker 1: How'd you like to listen to. NET Rocks with no ads? Easy. Become a patron. For just $ 5 a month, you get access to a private RSS feed where all the shows have no ads. $ 20 a month will get you that and a special. NET Rocks patron mug. Sign up now at patreon.dotnetrocks.com. Hey, and welcome back to. NET Rocks. I'm Carl Franklin.
Speaker 2: And I'm Richard Cavill.
Speaker 1: We have been doing this stupid show for 2019 episodes. What is wrong with us?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's a pattern. And this, you know, yeah, can kind of anticipate that sometime next week might be another one.
Speaker 1: You know, I say it's a stupid show. I got to admit, it got a lot smarter after episode 100.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, but I don't know why. It was really stupid. Before that. There was a period. I remember drawing you out a Venn diagram. It's like, here are the people who like a technical interview. Here are the people that like music and comedy and so forth. And the intersection between the two is small. Very small.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay. So, we made two shows.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Spoiler alert. We are fixing to make a new Mondays.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't give it away, man. I just did. It might even be out by the time this thing publishes, but who knows?
Speaker 4: Maybe.
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 4: Who knows?
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, this being episode 2019, we are going to talk about what happened in 2019. And by the way, Jeffrey Sachs is with us, and I just want to invite Jeffrey to jump in if he wants to during this whole.
Speaker 2: He probably remembers 2019, too. It was not that long ago. It was not that long ago.
Speaker 1: All right. So, believe it or not, I have a few good news stories. For 2019. Nice.
Speaker 2: You get tired of being the harbinger of doom, do you? Not your style at all.
Speaker 1: I am. Yeah, especially last 2018 was just dark.
Speaker 2: Just depressing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I will have some bad news too, but for some good. The world's first malaria vaccine began rolling out in Africa.
Speaker 2: Exciting.
Speaker 1: Malawi, Ghana, and Kenya began vaccinating children with RTSS, the first malaria vaccine used in a large-scale public health program. Our friend Bill Gates and Melinda Gates were behind that. I don't know if they're actually our friends, but we've seen them. Yeah, I met them. About 360,000 children per year were expected to receive it during the pilot. So cool. Ethiopia and Eritrea's peace efforts received the Nobel Peace Prize. Very good.
Speaker 2: Those two have been at loggerheads since their formations.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And see, it is possible. Nearly 100 captive whales and orcas were returned to the wild. Russian authorities gradually released animals from the notorious whale jail in the country's far east. By November, the remaining 50 beluga whales had been freed, completing the operation.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Reminds me of Star Trek IV. Algeria and Argentina eliminated malaria.
Speaker 2: Eliminated. How cool is that? Well, there's a bunch of ways to tackle that, right? Like you can do it by just controlling mosquitoes. Yeah. But also, you know, handing out nets. Like there's all kinds of tools to try. And it all works together. Ethiopia launched a massive tree planting campaign. Millions participated in the country's green legacy reforestation effort. The Ethiopian government reported that roughly 350 million seedlings were planted in a single day in July, part of a campaign aimed at planting billions of trees. The exact single-day figure wasn't independently verified, but the enormous public participation was real. So, now let's get to the depressing stuff. Well, maybe not depressing, but you know. Donald Trump is impeached. For the first time.
Speaker 1: Depressing? It's up to you, I think. Hong Kong pro-democracy protests.
Speaker 2: Do not go well.
Speaker 1: What began as... What's that?
Speaker 2: Do not go well.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: What began as opposition to an extradition bill grew into enormous demonstrations demanding democratic reforms and resistance to Beijing's increasing influence. The protests continued for months and frequently resulted in violent clashes with the police. Brexit crisis and Boris Johnson's rise. Richard, do you remember we were sitting in a restaurant somewhere and you looked over and you said, hey, that's Boris Johnson. Do you remember that? It was in London.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We were at NDC London.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you're like, that's Boris Johnson. And I said.
Speaker 2: He was in the restaurant.
Speaker 1: I said, who? Because I didn't know.
Speaker 2: He was the mayor of London one point. And he was kind of funny when he was the mayor of London. The quirky guy.
Speaker 1: I think this was before his further rise, so I really didn't know who he was.
Speaker 2: Before he was prime minister. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But, you know, we did see him. Theresa May repeatedly failed to get her Brexit agreement through parliament and resigned. Boris Johnson became prime minister, negotiated a revised deal, and then won a huge conservative majority in December. Christchurch mosque massacres. Bad news. This was in New Zealand, your home country. A white supremacist attacked two mosques in Christchurch on March 15th, killing 51 people. But the massacre led New Zealand to rapidly tighten its gun laws.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a concept.
Speaker 1: Notre Dame Cathedral set ablaze on April 15th.
Speaker 2: It was an accident.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: On April 15th, the world watched as the 850-year-old cathedral in Paris burned. Its famous spire collapsed and much of the medieval roof was destroyed, although firefighters managed to save the main structure. And many important artworks and relics. And they rebuilt it. It is rebuilt now, yeah. I haven't seen the new one, but it's on my list. And you can still see the guy in the tower.
Speaker 2: Going, yes, master.
Speaker 1: Boeing 737 MAX crashes in worldwide grounding. Was this the beginning of the end for Boeing?
Speaker 2: Oh, no. This was towards the end of the end.
Speaker 1: Towards the end of the end.
Speaker 2: When you get to the point of actually building an unsafe aircraft and ignoring the fact that your engineers are telling you it's unsafe until it starts killing people, you are very lost.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Just a couple more. The U.S.-China trade war escalates. ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi killed. Mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio. And worldwide protest movements erupt. Beyond Hong Kong, 2019 saw enormous anti-government demonstrations in Chile, Lebanon, Iraq, Algeria, Sudan, Iran, Bolivia, and Haiti, among others. So, people not happy.
Speaker 3: No. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You done? Yeah, I guess I'm done. Let me give you one more grim one.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Right at the end of December 2019, authorities in Wuhan, China report an unusual pneumonia.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That might have been COVID.
Speaker 2: Might have been. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that's when.
Speaker 2: It really started. All right. You ready for some space stuff? Sure. Go for it. January, the New Horizons spacecraft, the one that had gone to Pluto, still going, had its next close flyby to a Kuiper belt object. Today, we call that Kuiper belt object Arrokoth, although at the time they called it Ultima Thule. So that's over a billion kilometers beyond Pluto. That's how fast that thing was moving. And was basically a primordial solar system object. It was literally two blobs of rock and ice stuck together in a very low gravitational space. But, you know, just an extraordinary scene back to the early history of the solar system that way. That's 2019. It's been seven more years. New Horizons is still whizzing out at very high speed. Also in January, China's Chang'e 4 lander lands on the far side of the moon. First time ever in the Von Karman crater. It has the U-2-2 rover on board. I think that means little rabbit. It will start its exploration in the previous year. China had also put up their relay satellite so they could communicate to the far side of the moon. In February, back on Mars, the Opportunity Rover finally ends its mission after 15 years. Designed about the size of a golf cart, designed for operations for 90 days, ran for 15 years. Now, in 2019, it was when it declared its mission over. Its last communication was actually in 2018. There had been a major dust storm in 2018 on Mars. And that was always the challenge with these rovers is that there was spirit and opportunities. They are all solar-based, and so the dust covers up the solar panels. But the atmosphere of Mars occasionally would create dust levels that would clean those solar panels off. Classically, at that time, Opportunity had its own Twitter account, and so the operators would take the telemetry data and turn it into text as a tweet from Opportunity. And so Opportunity's last tweet was, my battery's getting low, and it's getting dark. Of course, the reality for a device like that is that if it doesn't have enough power to keep its electronics warm overnight, those will freeze and it will not power back up. And that's what happened to Opportunity. Bummer. In March, the Crew Dragon by SpaceX does its first flight to the International Space Station. It's completely autonomous. It actually does its own docking. There's nobody on board. It works perfectly. It then leaves the station and de-orbits and lands in the ocean and is recovered successfully. All good news. Here's the bad news. The following month, that same capsule is now having an abortion. system test. This was an unmanned test tethered to the ground firing the Super Dracos and something goes terribly wrong and the vehicle is destroyed in the explosion. Bummer. There was a leak in the helium system for the Super Dracos that created a mass detonation. NASA actually considered it lucky. It was a huge gift. You know, you'd hate to have that occur during an actual flight. It'll delay things for the rest of the year. They won't flag it until 2020, although that will actually deliver crew successfully. They'll do a new abort system, use tests, including an in-flight unmanned abort. Also in April, also on Mars, the InSight lander will get its first telemetry by measuring a Mars quake to start mapping the interior of Mars. So opportunity's done, but the InSight lander's doing its thing. Uh, also in April, the Israeli nonprofit, uh, company space IL launched the bear sheet lander, the first commercial privately funded lunar lander ever flies on a Falcon nine. It originally been part of the lunar X prize, which started back in 2017 and 2007 and had ended in 2018. So it was actually over. It did make it to the moon, but failed on its landing, which is not that unusual, uh, because it's really hard to land on the moon. In fact, Later in the year, in July, India will launch their Chandran-2 to the moon, and their orbital will work perfectly, but their Vikram lander will crash on its descent towards the South Pole. Also in April, the Event Horizon Telescope publishes the first image of a black hole in the center of the galaxy, Messier 87. I remember. So this is using a technology called very long baseline infrometry, where they actually harness data from a dozen or so different radio telescopes around the world. to create a sort of super radio telescope. And then they composite the image into what they, um, black hole look like. And it turned out looked exactly like the one in interstellar, uh, which, which, uh, there's a good reason for that. Uh, Christopher Nolan hired a Caltech physicist named Kim Thorne, who actually figured out what it should look like. And, uh, the, EHT actually validated that.
Speaker 1: And it was very low resolution, if I remember correctly.
Speaker 2: Of course. But, you know, you're literally talking billions of light years away. So it's a miracle it works at all. But it's just, you know, we're getting new superpowers. In May, SpaceX launches the very first batch of Starlink satellites, an array of 60. Yeah. In August, SpaceX does their first flight of Starhopper. This was a funny little looking can of a thing with some legs on it. Flew just a short distance and landed again. It's the beginning of Starship, but the really important thing is this is their new Raptor engine, a methane liquid oxygen engine. And it's also full flow combustion. So that was the first time that a full flow combustion stage combustion engine had ever flown. And it'll get bigger for that. And one little piece of additional Boeing news alongside killing people in their dangerous 737, which admittedly is now fixed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I have flown on it. Uh, Boeing flies their Starliner to the International Space Station for the first time, except for that part where it never got to the space station.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Software bugs in the system cause the vehicle to decide that it's actually farther along the mission than it actually is. And it tries to correct its orientation inappropriately. And before they can send commands to get it to stop doing that, it burns up so much of its maneuvering fuel. That it's unable to make it to the space station. They do get control of it, fix the problem with the software and successfully de-orbit and recover the vehicle. But that will only be the beginning of a whole series of terrible problems for Starliner that are not resolved to this day.
Speaker 1: Hey, when you mentioned Starlink, you were using Starlink, right? Are you using it now?
Speaker 2: I wasn't at that point. It would be later. I would apply for the beta and get into the beta in a couple of years after that. But are you using it right now? I'm not right now, no. It's my backup. I have fiber now to this house in the middle of nowhere, which is ridiculous. It is ridiculous. Starlink is the backup. Okay, onto the computing side of things. A whole bunch of stories around OpenAI. So February of 2019 is the release of GPT-2. And remember that the mantra of OpenAI had been to do AI out in the open, do it also open source, right? That's why it's called OpenAI. But they come to the conclusion that their largest model in GPT-2, which was a 1.5 billion parameter model, oh, how quaint, is too powerful and that it shouldn't be shared publicly. So they only release a very tiny version of it just to show its potential. And they are starting to reconsider what the company's all about. Part of this is they're working on a paper, which they'll publish in 2020, about... the scale necessary to build these language models and that being a not-for-profit is just not feasible. It's not the way they're going to be successful. And so in March, they'll restructure OpenAI to become what they call a capped profit company, which is funny because this is all around the time that likely they're talking to Microsoft because in June, Kevin Scott wrote an email to Bill Gates and Satya Nadella called Thoughts on OpenAI. where he talked about the fact that OpenAI and DeepMind and Google Brain were well ahead of Microsoft and that there was an opportunity to invest in OpenAI and put them over onto Azure and maybe have a relationship. That, of course, will happen in July. Sam Altman and Nadella will be on stage together. We'll announce an exclusive cloud partnership.
Speaker 1: I do remember that.
Speaker 2: And finally, in December, Microsoft will put a billion dollars into OpenAI, although how much of that they'll spend buying Azure, we don't really know. Related to one of your stories early on about China, in March, the UK publishes a report about Huawei, concerns about Chinese security with kill switches on 5G networking and things like that. The UK has a group that's actually getting into the software that drives all of those things, but they consider the software such poor quality that they can't even verify its reliability or security and consider it unsafe to use. That will result in May, the Trump administration will literally say, you can't use Huawei stuff, full stop. And it'll spread around all of the Western world, really. That's around the time the first 5G networks actually get deployed in the US, in April. Also in April, but on April 2nd, not April 1st, probably deliberately, Google shuts down, Google +. Can't do that on April 2nd, it's not funny. Okay, September, Visual Studio 2019. with Framework 4.8, but also. NET Core 3.0, which is really the point where you kind of hit parity, so the features, In the old framework that we wanted in the open source cloud platform version, they were all there now and more or less complete.
Speaker 1: That's where I started using it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I started using it at three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was the point where it's like, hey, this is the end of the road. There won't be a. NET Core 4. There won't be two versions of. NET after this. There'll just be five, although you know the old framework, 4.8 will never go anymore. And in December, they'll put out 3.1, fixing some of the problems. Two more stories. October. Google's Sycamore processor. So the first real public demonstration of what we would call quantum supremacy. This was one of those chandeliers soaked in liquid helium style quantum computers, very fragile. It had 54 qubits, only 53 of them were functioning, did a 200 second run doing a random number sampling task. Google argued that this would take 10,000 years with a traditional computer and they finished it in 200 seconds. IBM, of course, challenged the numbers and then demonstrated various strata on quantum strategies to get pretty good results. I think they're fastest when they got it down to a couple of days, but whatever. But it is in a wave of advancement in quantum computing. And last but not least, because I do think it impacts a lot of the conversations we're having today in December at Amazon's reInvent conference, They talk about Graviton2, which was custom ARM processors for workloads in EC2. They're promising 40% better price performance. Up until this point, for the most part, the cloud had been regular machines bought with Intel and AMD chips and so forth, bought by the big vendors, already pre-racked and so forth. But now the cloud companies, Amazon being one, but also Microsoft and Google as well. Google was already going into their TensorFlows and things like that. Are starting to build their own hardware to optimize for cloud workloads. And that's going to change things going forward.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Those are my stories, friend.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, that brings us to better know a framework.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 1: Or something. Better Know Something, maybe we should call it. Better Know Something.
Speaker 2: That would have been a great title.
Speaker 1: All right, man, what do you got? Okay, so for those of you paying attention to my other shows, Rocky Latka and I started with him as co-host on Code It With AI, which is presented by DevExpress.
Speaker 3: And we....
Speaker 1: Just put Quen 3.8 local to the test. Quen 3.8 is a model, and I ran it on Ollama. And we had done on episodes 29 and 30 with Jeff Fritz, we had done comparisons between local models running in this hardware that I have, right, in Ollama.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Quen 3.6 was the winner by far. So I was thinking Quen 3.8, going to be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Not so much. Interesting. because Alama allocates context depending on the amount of VRAM you have.
Speaker 2: So I got 30, 35 or 32, 32 K based on the amount of VRAM that I had, but I don't think it was enough because it was, it was doing the confusing things that the other models had done earlier, which is telling you that it, you know, couldn't reach the API, giving you some weird nil error, and stopping. So Rocky tells me about llama.cpp. And llama.cpp is an alternative to Ollama that it allows you to host models.
Speaker 1: But the cool thing about it is that it can take the compute heavy stuff and run that in VRAM. And then it can use your system RAM for the rest of it. Now, I don't know if it swaps things in and out, system RAM, VRAM, or it just runs some things that don't require such a heavy load in system RAM, but that's it. So then there are only certain models that can run, but there's a QEN model that runs that's bigger that I'm going to try for next week's Code with AI. Well, I say next week. We're recording this on August 21st. or 20th, rather.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: We're recording this on August 21st, and it won't come out until September 10th. So the episode would be 43, and that would be on last week, September 2nd. So if you want to see what that does, I'm going to have a live demo of it. I'm going to try it, but llama.cpp. Know it, learn it, love it. Who's talking to us today, Richard?
Speaker 2: I had to go back. We're doing mathematics today, so I had to go back to a mathematics show. So, I went way back. 1252, which is from 2016. Our friend Seth Juarez talking about his library, NUML. Because secretly, Seth Juarez, as charming and entertaining as he was on Channel 9, actually a maths guy. Got a real, you know, got a master's degree. Super smart, you know. Great at explaining the whole.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: LLM wave too. We've done some cool shows with it. So this is a comment from, uh, Kirian O'Neill, who says another scheduling library along the lines of courts.net. We were talking about that library as well. Worth mentioning is hang fire. The advantage I've gained from using hang fires that it runs in process. It doesn't require a separate window service. And depending on your use cases can be a big advantage. And it's one less thing to think about when deploying because, yeah, pushing out stuff to count on Windows services and stuff is ugly if you're going to try and make things work properly for you. But, you know, this was a whole conversation we had with Seth about how you do these long compute workloads when you're working out things like machine learning models and so forth where they may run for a couple of days. And you don't want to just tie up the whole machine. You want to run them in the background. Yep. So, Kirian, thank you so much for your comment. And a copy of Music to Code By is on its way to you. And if you'd like a copy of Music to Code By, write a comment on the website at. netrocks. com or on the Facebooks. We publish every show there. And if you comment there and I read it in the show, we'll send you a copy of Music to Code By.
Speaker 1: And if you want to just go get Music to Code By, it's at musictocodeby.net.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: We've taken up so much time with this intro stuff. I think we ought to take our break now so we can have an uninterrupted talk with Jeffrey Sachs. So we'll be right back after these very important messages. And we're back. It's. NET Rocks. I'm Carl Franklin. That's Richard Campbell.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 1: And also here with us is Jeffrey Sachs.
Speaker 3: Hi. Hi.
Speaker 1: Jeffrey Sachs is the founder and sole developer of Numerics.net, a set of numerical computing libraries for.
Speaker 4: NET.
Speaker 1: He has been building the library since 2005 when the first version was released for. NET 1.1. Over the years, Numerics.net has been used for applications ranging from calculating radiation doses for cancer treatment and developing truck braking systems to building support software for atomic force microscopes. Jeffrey's work on numerical software predates.
Speaker 2: NET.
Speaker 1: Jeffrey, welcome.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 5: Thank you. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: Sorry about the long intro. If you're okay with it, we can go a little longer today. But my first question is, what is numerical computing?
Speaker 5: I would say numerical computing is the task of computing values to a requested accuracy with limited precision. And do that as fast as possible.
Speaker 1: So it's basically just math equations in code. Essentially, like a MATLAB kind of thing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what it comes down to.
Speaker 1: Simulink, yeah.
Speaker 2: So this is outside the spectrum of what the built-in mathematical functions in. NET could do?
Speaker 4: Yes, way beyond, actually.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: Vectors, matrices, probability, and statistics, all kinds of fun stuff.
Speaker 1: So it's all based on the fundamental stuff that's in the framework, but then you do these... abstractions on top of it that give you the higher level.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, constructs.
Speaker 2: All right, let's dust off our math chop, see if we remember any of this stuff from school. Holy man. So, I mean, just in your comment alone, you were talking about things like radiation doses. So, can you talk a bit about what kind of math we need there? It's a great thing to figure out.
Speaker 4: Actually, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I just.
Speaker 5: hear a lot of stories from customers.
Speaker 4: Oh, right.
Speaker 2: Um, these are just your customers doing cool things with your software.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So that's the most fun part of what I do. I hear all sorts of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Um, and you heard some variety of what I hear.
Speaker 2: Your background is in mathematics then?
Speaker 4: Yes, it is. I actually, right.
Speaker 2: So you just take him what you've learned and said like, how could I do these things in.net?
Speaker 5: Yes. I, I've been doing this pretty much my whole life ever since I got my hands on the computer.
Speaker 4: Um, And then went to university.
Speaker 5: Got a degree in computing science, so specializing in the numerical stuff.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 5: After some time of building things privately, like just for my own enjoyment, I thought, well, why not turn this into my job and do it professionally?
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: And that's how Numerics.net got started.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: You remind me of a product that when I was at Crescent Software, we sold. I didn't write it. I just did tech support. But it was called QuickPack Scientific. And so in that was a bunch of assembly language things, calls that you could call from basic, from QuickBasic, Basic 7 PDS, and even Visual Basic, that did all these kinds of things. And I wondered even back then, why do you need all this if you have the fundamentals? And it's kind of like, you know, why do you need a database if you can open and read and write files?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: These are layers of abstraction that help you as a non-programmer, maybe a scientist that dabbles in programming, do stuff easily.
Speaker 5: Well, it's not just about the layers of abstraction, although that can be useful as well. It's also about the limitations that you have doing math on a computer and still doing things correctly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I said, it's, we got to dig into this because I think it's fascinating. What, what are the, we never, most of the time we don't bump into these limitations. What are the limitations?
Speaker 5: Well, the primary limitation is you can't represent every number from real life in a computer system.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: So we have, integers, and then we have what we call real numbers. But those are really the double precision floating point numbers is the official name. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I think the floating point's a better term just because it lets you know. This is only so accurate.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So the limitation is these numbers have a very specific format. They're an integer times a power of two.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: And you only have a certain range to work with. So every calculation you do, you basically are able to use only those numbers. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And that's what makes it hard.
Speaker 1: Right, right. So it's the precision. And you mentioned precision in your definition of numerical computing, that you may want less or more. But I get more. Why less? Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, in modern-day computing, there's a lot of talk about– reducing the number of bits required for LLMs and so forth to do their calculations and still have good results. So they'll sample down from the original 16 or 32 bits down to sometimes as little as four or two bits even.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: So that's why you would use less. In general, for calculations, you would use the standard four or eight number formats. because the resources aren't as tight and the computation isn't as intense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: And so the point being, when you use a higher precision, it's just going to take longer for no value.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but if you use too little precision, things can go terribly long as well.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: There's a famous example of um an arianne 5 rocket in 96 i think.
Speaker 2: It was oh yeah they lost the first one they.
Speaker 5: Lost the first one because some value was um stored as a 16-bit value for the arianne 4 rocket the predecessor right and they converted down from 64 bits to 16 got an overflow which sent their navigation system into some kind of error state and they had to terminate the launch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a very expensive boo-boo.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is.
Speaker 2: Like billion-dollar boo-boo.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so one of the things that makes it hard is because you have that limited set of numbers, whenever you do a calculation, you have to start by approximating the number you get from real life by a number that's in your set that you can work with. So you have to round it off and that already right off, right out of the gate, you start with an error and then errors propagate. Like every calculation you do, when you add two numbers, the sum of those two numbers may not be a floating point number again. So then you get additional errors And sometimes it can explode and, well, lead to explosions.
Speaker 2: Right. Quite literally.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember watching that, actually. And it's like suddenly the engines were trying to move the rocket in ways it really wouldn't want to move. And then it just sort of broke into pieces.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: I had a friend. He's gone now. But he was a professor of mathematics. And he called himself a philosopher of math.
Speaker 4: And I.
Speaker 1: Was, I guess, into things that were so abstract that nobody could understand them, and you had to just think about them completely differently. One of those things that I think of in that vein are imaginary numbers. What the hell is an imaginary number?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: Well, an imaginary number is a trick, basically, to.
Speaker 4: Make... the math work. So there's.
Speaker 5: A theory where when you compute the roots of a quadratic equation, you always have two roots. If you have real numbers as roots, that's not always the case. But if you allow this extension by using the square root of minus one as another dimension, then you can always get two roots. And so there's all kinds of lovely, beautiful math that just falls into place perfectly when you do that.
Speaker 1: I still don't get it.
Speaker 2: I'm remembering enough of this stuff to realize, as soon as you said imaginary numbers, like square root of negative two, that shouldn't be possible, but there's a fix for it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So it's not purely mathematical. It's actually some, like most of quantum physics is also expressed in quantum, in, uh, in terms of complex numbers. So, how real that is is also questionable, but that's a different discussion.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, God doesn't play dice with the universe.
Speaker 1: Would you consider yourself a philosopher of math?
Speaker 4: A little bit, but not too much.
Speaker 1: Not the philosopher king, just a philosopher. No.
Speaker 5: The pure math and the computer math are actually very different. It's a very different story.
Speaker 2: Oh, sure, yeah.
Speaker 5: You don't get into extreme abstractions that only a handful of people understand.
Speaker 2: But as I understand it, mathematics and computing in general has been a series of compromises based on the limitations of the hardware available at the time.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: And the language.
Speaker 5: Language, too. There's actually funny stories about Fortran, the first programming language, which has... Originally, it didn't have if statements. It had a conditional jump. It didn't have. The logical operators and the comparison operators are written out with dots. Dot, L, T, dot is less than. The reason they did that was because at the time... computers didn't have less than signs.
Speaker 2: Right. The ASCII set hadn't been done yet.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Was it EPSIDIC?
Speaker 2: Even earlier.
Speaker 5: Another interesting thing about Fortran, white space doesn't matter at all.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: You can put spaces anywhere in the middle of a name, of a variable, anywhere. The reason they did that is because back in the day, people wrote their programs on punch cards and there were punch card operators who translated or like who entered the text in punch cards, did the punching to then feed into the computers. And what they found was that they were very sloppy with spaces in the transcriptions. And so there were lots of errors because spaces were at the time significant. And so they did away with that so that their programs could actually run.
Speaker 2: It's a workaround.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And speaking of languages, how does JavaScript hit you for a math language?
Speaker 4: JavaScript is kind of, it's not.
Speaker 1: You can say it.
Speaker 2: It's okay.
Speaker 5: It's not the best language for computing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right.
Speaker 5: The nice thing about it is that you have numbers and they're all the same. But that's when you do numerical stuff, that's also the, The problem.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: As we found out.
Speaker 2: We've talked a little bit about complex numbers so far in the library here. I don't know that I exactly understand everything when we talk about space of complex numbers. Because, I mean, I've always thought that not a number, you know, speaking of JavaScript, was such a computer thing. But is that something relevant in complex numbers as well?
Speaker 5: It's relevant in all of numerical computing.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay.
Speaker 5: So a complex number just has a real part and an imaginary part.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: And once you work with those two, it's just real math again. There's nothing complex about it. So the same issues that you encounter in real numbers, you will encounter in complex numbers again. Right.
Speaker 2: And so problems like infinity and not a number, these are just things you have to contend with.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And that's one of the weird things. Not a number is a special thing. encoding in the binary floating point format. And they compare false. So any operation, any logical operation with not a number returns false, including itself.
Speaker 2: So not a number is also not a number.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah. So you have to special case all kinds of code to work with that to trap it. One of the Places where you can get not a number is if you try to compute the square root of a negative number.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Does that make an imaginary number?
Speaker 5: That would make an imaginary number, but it's outside of the number format. Right.
Speaker 2: I'm starting to feel like in this context, not a number is problematically like nulls are problematic, where you have to test for them, and they're hard to test against themselves. So they just have to build a set of exception cases around it.
Speaker 5: That's true, and it's more of an annoyance than anything. If you're careful, you won't encounter them.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: But the other challenge is of maintaining precision. If you can do that, you're good. If you can't, then you can get things like dividing zero by zero, which is also not a number.
Speaker 2: Not a number.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's fair. So, I mean, on one hand, I'm losing this library because I have a particular use case where I have a particular requirement for precision that perhaps doesn't fall into what's built into.
Speaker 3: NET.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense? Is that a reason to go into using the library?
Speaker 4: That's one possibility. We have.
Speaker 5: Big floats that can Do enormous ranges of numbers to whatever precision you want, basically.
Speaker 2: How big is a big float there, Jeff? A Google?
Speaker 5: I think the exponent is about 10 billion.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 5: And you can have like up to a couple of billion digits, something like that.
Speaker 2: So you could calculate with Googles.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: A Google actually fits in a normal double floating boy number.
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: If it's 10 to the power 100. Right.
Speaker 5: It's not exact. Because we don't have enough bits for that. But, yeah, it is within the range.
Speaker 2: Nice. Okay. But then now when I think about, you know, why would I want a library like this, I immediately head towards calculus. Because that's hard to do without a library.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: Well, more generally, the reason you would go to a library like this, is that avoiding the loss of precision is a challenge. Right? So we talked about every operation introduces potentially another additional small error. Right. There's also something called catastrophic cancellations. which is you have two numbers that almost have the same magnitude, and you subtract them. So the result is very small relative to those two numbers.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay.
Speaker 5: Well, your precision will plummet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and turn it to a zero when it shouldn't be.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, okay.
Speaker 5: And then you get into other things like... One of the biggest challenges for me that I have to be always aware of is... Computer math is not quite like regular math. So, for example, the order of operations matters. In normal math, when you add three numbers, it doesn't really matter which order you do it in.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: But say you have 1 plus 10 to the minus 20 plus minus 1.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see the problem already.
Speaker 5: So, 1 plus 10 to the minus 20, you don't have the precision to register that little thing you're adding, so that remains one. And then if you subtract again, it's zero. Whereas if you do one minus one and then add, it's zero plus your small number and you have a different result.
Speaker 1: Because the first item in the list is what defines the type that it's cast to, right?
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 5: So the programming language defines the order and you have to make sure that you do things in the right order. And that can sneak up on you like A simple expression, a plus k minus 1, where a is a real number, k is an integer. That looks innocent, right?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Can't really go wrong with that. Well, what happens if a is a small number and k equals 1? Then you're going to have a plus 1. You're going to lose tons of precision there. And then subtract 1 again. So you've just lost lots of precision in that simple, innocent-looking operation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you ended up at zero and it shouldn't have been.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or.
Speaker 5: Something close, but much less accurate than what you started out with.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Is there such a thing as a specialized computer and language that brings computer math closer to real math?
Speaker 5: You could say that there are symbolic computer systems, but that's really kind of cheating.
Speaker 2: Uh-huh.
Speaker 5: So I wouldn't say for practical use, not really.
Speaker 2: Okay. I mean, wasn't that what Fortran was about, was trying to get rid of these precision problems back in the day?
Speaker 5: Fortran was to make it easy to write out equations. It's literally derived from formula translation.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: So eliminating the floating point traps and so on is really not practical to.
Speaker 4: Do in a In a language, you have to sort of choose your algorithm.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: And so you have to, sometimes you get a formula and there's something that can blow up or where you can lose precision. And then you have to find a different path of obtaining the same result that doesn't have that problem. And that's the biggest challenge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so you're no longer just working on the math problem. You're working in the constraints of the computer.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: You have to adapt your math problem to what the computer can do for you.
Speaker 4: That's right. And that's why it's hard. That's why so much time is spent on getting it right.
Speaker 2: And the problem is if you're not aware of the problems, you just write an expression. And in certain test cases, it works fine. And in other cases, it ruins everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and... Most cases you'll test are like mid-range, normal, everyday things. And sure, it'll work fine with that. Like, yeah, you might lose a digit or two, but nothing relevant. But then extreme cases happen, and then, yeah, you might run into trouble.
Speaker 2: Disasters. Should we go down some of the paths of these? different math sets you've done here, I'm just trying to figure out what a Gauss Cronrod numerical integrator is. You're making that up, Richard. I wish I was. I'm just reading through the spec here and going, oh boy. If you don't know what that is, you probably don't need one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Gauss is the famous mathematician who pioneered numerical integration, so computing the area under a curve.
Speaker 4: Using approximations.
Speaker 1: You said Gauss, right?
Speaker 4: And Gauss, yeah.
Speaker 1: Is that what the Gaussian blur is based on?
Speaker 4: That's also him.
Speaker 5: Wow. Like anything Gauss, like the Gaussian distribution, Gaussian blur, all those things are all the same person.
Speaker 2: Wow. Right. Clever guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So one way to compute errors is you compute the same result in two different ways, one more accurate than.
Speaker 3: The other one.
Speaker 4: And then you compare results.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: And Gauss-Krohn wrote is a way of doing that with reusing some of the calculations you've done so that you've, so to minimize extra work. So that's what that is.
Speaker 2: No, and I appreciate that. So now I'm thinking the software engineer in me is like, okay. We measure this particular problem space in two different ways and then use an integrator to get what we think is the most accurate possible answer.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, smart. And it's good to have a tool. You could try and code your way around that. You'd probably screw it up. Use the tool.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 5: And so that particular one is used for what's called adaptive integration, which means if you have a curve that's really oscillating a lot, like changes very quickly, if you try to approximate it with a few points, you're going to be way off. And so by computing the error, you can say, okay, we're good in this part of the function, but here we need to dig deeper and be more precise. So you do a recalculation there. What's the error now? And you keep doing that until your result is accurate enough.
Speaker 2: Accurate enough.
Speaker 1: I imagine FFTs, Fast Fourier transforms. I only know a lot of this stuff because, you know, the Gaussian blur you use in Photoshop and other things like that. And the FFTs we use in noise reduction algorithms in Adobe Audition. And I've been using them ever since I've been recording with digital audio. But from what I understand about noise reduction, it uses a fast Fourier transform and you select the number of points. And what it does in the audio world is it acts as, let's say it's 8,000 points. It's an 8,000 band compressor, right? So you have a compressor with three bands, high, low, and mid, or high, mid, and low, whatever. But if you break that up into the frequency spectrum into 8,000 bands, then it can compress each band. band individually using a fast Fourier transform I don't know how but I know it works.
Speaker 5: Fourier transform basically turns a signal into its frequencies and so then you can filter out high frequencies or mid or low or like apply equalizers and then transform back to get your new signal with the high frequencies filtered out Right.
Speaker 1: Makes a lot of sense, especially we use an 8K FFT size for noise reduction. Always have. And it seemed to be the sweet spot for audio, for speaking anyway.
Speaker 2: Just one of those things.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow. Should we, some other areas to explore here, Jeff? What do you want to, what would you like to talk about? Maybe some Jebyshev polynomials?
Speaker 4: Jebyshev is one of the luckiest people in the world.
Speaker 2: This is a mathematician, I presume.
Speaker 5: He's a mathematician. I'm not even sure which century he's from.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: But he played with a certain type of polynomials that looked interesting. And so they ended up being named after him. And these days they're used all over the place. Right. Because they're defining property. What makes them useful is that They're very even. They oscillate, yes, but they oscillate within a narrow band, and it's the narrowest possible band. Oh, interesting. JPL uses that for their planetary models. They will give out positions of planets and asteroids and everything as a series of Cheverchev polynomials. because you can very accurately model basically any curve using them. And what I was saying about controlling the growth of your errors, they're extremely favorable that way. So you will get minimal error propagation, which is, again, why.
Speaker 2: They're so common. I looked him up. He was a Russian from the 1800s.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sounds right. That's a lot of mathematicians, actually, I think. And he was at a time of defining all this stuff. So, again, you've come back to this a few times, Jeff. It's like you're trying to work through a set of data and get an aggregate or some kind of valuation from it without introducing a lot of error.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And these are the kinds of tools you use to try and keep the errors.
Speaker 5: And the problem is, too– As I said earlier, as soon as you bring a real world number into your computing system, you have some deviation from reality. And there's another famous.
Speaker 2: Because the computer does an approximation on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: There's another famous and rather tragic example from the Gulf War in 1991. There was a Scud missile heading towards a U.S. base in Tehran in Saudi Arabia. And they had a Patriot system. for air defense, but it failed, it missed. And the reason it missed was round off error. They were counting time by incrementing a counter every tenth of a second. So after about four days, the counter was at something like three and a half million. And then they computed the current time by multiplying that counter by by 0.1. 0.1 is not a floating point number, not a binary floating point number. So there's this very tiny error there of about 95 nanoseconds. But when you multiply 9 to 5 nanoseconds by 3.5 million, you get about three-tenths of a second. And missiles fly very fast and cover a lot of ground in that time. And so the interceptor missed And unfortunately, I think 28 people died in that attack. So, it can have very serious consequences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 1: We were talking about in the news stories, Boeing and the problems that they had. And I wonder if, I mean, it was obvious incompetence in a culture of, you know, not reporting the truth and trying to appease the higher-ups and all that stuff and sycophancy, but I wonder if any of that stemmed from having bad algorithms or bad math.
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 5: I have no idea. There have been mistakes with the Ariane rocket and the example you gave too earlier.
Speaker 2: Sure, which I think is a really interesting one just because they– changed the precision on the number and then introduced it into a different rocket that behaved differently and that number suddenly was a huge problem. And more importantly, the software doesn't get an overflow and the software just treats it as a number still, not acknowledging that, no, that's not a valid number and you should stop what you're doing. Whatever you do from here is going to be worse, not better. The MCAS story, which was part of that 737 MAX problem, is a complicated one and probably none Appropriate here, but yeah, it was the decision on hardware and software and how you communicated to the pilots combined that creates that situation.
Speaker 5: Speaking of radiation doses, there's also a story about a system to administer the radiation where some people got bad burns and it turned out They looked into it, maybe as the operator not experienced. And no, the operator is very experienced. And actually that turned out to be the problem because they entered the information so quickly that the system couldn't keep up and skipped an input. And that led to overdoses. So there's all kinds of like the numerical part is one thing, but there's also the good software practices of making allowances for exceptions and treating exceptional conditions adequately and correctly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. It's interesting to try and write software that contends with that kind of thing because the consequence was so serious. You know, they're just sort of recognizing that the data doesn't make sense. What's reasonable. before it actually runs. The Therac-25 issue, that was the radiation treatment where if you entered the data too quickly, software went into a race condition.
Speaker 5: And one thing they did, I believe, in that instance is the previous version of that equipment had hardware guards. Right. So if the radiation was too high or voltage or whichever way they measured it, it would refuse to do that. But they took those off and they replaced them with software tests. That obviously didn't work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously created other consequences, no question.
Speaker 1: So your point is well taken. Math is kind of important.
Speaker 2: To get right. Well, yeah, precision. I don't know that we even now actually understand fully the compromises that were made to store numbers in computers efficiently.
Speaker 5: They did a pretty good job, actually, with the standard IEEE 754 format. In some ways, it's quite ingenious. The numerical, if you compare the bit value, if you look at it as a 64-bit integer, it is in the correct sort order. So you can compare the numbers as integers and and have the correct sort order, except for.
Speaker 4: The not a number cases, which are an annoyance.
Speaker 5: And there's another problem that's not obvious at first sight. Because of the format, you always have an integer times a power of two. And so there are as many floating point numbers between one and two as there are between two and four, or four and eight. in 16, so they've become scarcer and sparser, the more, the larger your numbers get, and they get closer and closer together.
Speaker 4: The smaller your numbers get.
Speaker 5: And then the question is, well, what do you do close to zero? And the solution they found was, well, let's just switch from a floating point format into two times a power of two. to a fixed point format. And so all the numbers with exponent zero are called subnormal numbers and they are a fixed point format. So they are that number interpreted as an integer times, I think it's two to.
Speaker 4: The power minus 1,075.
Speaker 5: So that when you get to zero, You have what they call gradual underflow. You don't just cut to zero straight away. You have like a little bit of breathing room to get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is way more complicated than you think about. Most of the time we just use numbers and don't worry about it. Sometimes you want integers and sometimes you want floating point and you're fine. But then this is here. I've just looked at this huge roster of capabilities that are in all these exception cases. All right. How do people figure out they need your tool, Jeff?
Speaker 5: Well, most people just need some kind of calculation where they need the level of extraction that our library provides. So if you have to solve a set of equations, okay, you can do it all yourself and try to figure out how to do it efficiently.
Speaker 2: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 4: Or you can use my library and just say, okay, these are a number of delegates.
Speaker 2: And to be clear, your library is not free.
Speaker 4: No, it's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And not that I have a problem with that. It makes sense. It sounds like you've done a ton of work. And it's worth it for the folks. If you need it, you need it. And you should pay for it.
Speaker 1: If you need it, you need it. That's right.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: This is literally a tool to save lives and stop spacecraft from exploding. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. talk about performance a little bit. Uh, some of the, I mean, the.net framework has gotten more and more performant with every release. Was there ever a time when you considered, you know, dropping to assembler to do stuff because it wasn't fast enough?
Speaker 5: Well, we've been doing this for 20 years and, um, we've seen a few performance, uh, concepts come and go.
Speaker 4: Uh, when, uh.
Speaker 5: The uh, task parallel library was first introduced around 2010, that seemed to be the thing to speed things up. Uh, turned out there was so much overhead that it was limited in what we could do with it. Um, so one example of where I did, um, role my own, so to speak, is big integer. The initial implementation that shift with. NET 4.0 in 2010 was adequate for small sizes, but as soon as your numbers got large, it got slower and slower. And so we did some work there to make a faster version of that, But I really have to give it to the.
Speaker 4: NET guys.
Speaker 5: In recent years, they've done so much to bring their numerical side of things forward into what's actually now to the point where we're considering giving up our big integer and just using the.
Speaker 4: NET standard version.
Speaker 1: Do you utilize span of t? I know that's a huge win.
Speaker 4: We use it all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, wow.
Speaker 5: All the time because, well, one of the advantages, too, is a span can be over managed memory, but it can also be over unmanaged memory, like anything you get from a third-party library or application. And so using span allows us to use the same code for– Managed memory, so vectors stored in managed memory or in native memory. And then the performance, too, it's very compact. It lets you, and it's very much optimized more and more. It's actually interesting when we look at our test suite. You can see we still support.
Speaker 4: NET 4.6.2 and. NET standards.
Speaker 5: And you can see in our execution times of the test suite how long it takes for each edition.
Speaker 4: To run.
Speaker 5: And without even changing any code, you can see a progression by like every edition is like 10% faster overall. And it's just a runtime that does that.
Speaker 1: Yep. And overhead, memory overhead has also gone way down.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Just wonderful. Well, it's good to see that you picked the right horse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, 20-plus year run.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm very impressed with the work they've been doing. And also in the library itself, when, again, Complex Numbers first.
Speaker 4: Came out, also in.
Speaker 5: NET 4, it was really like you're– textbook or school book implementation. It was just the formulas without really understanding the intricacies of.
Speaker 4: How to get precise results.
Speaker 5: Even in there, when you computed the square root of minus one, which should be purely imaginary I, because that's the definition of the imaginary unit, it was off, it wasn't correct. But in the last couple of years, and now with. NET 11, they've done a ton of work to clean that up. And we're not quite ready to give up our complex number implementation, but we're seriously considering it. So, again, great job,. NET team.
Speaker 2: We should pass it along to Steve and Todd. Those guys are freaking brilliant.
Speaker 1: They are, yeah. Well, Jeffrey, thanks for hanging with us. We went a little bit over, but that's only because we had such a long intro. But it was great just going through your interview without an interruption. And this is awesome stuff. And I'm actually a little impressed with both Richard and I for keeping up with you.
Speaker 2: I think Jeff is a great explainer.
Speaker 1: You are, yeah.
Speaker 2: Which I really appreciate.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And good luck in the future. And thanks very much.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And we will talk to you dear listener next time on. NET Rocks.
Speaker 3: NET Rocks is brought to you by Franklin's Net and produced by Plop Studios. a full-service audio, video, and post-production facility located physically in New London, Connecticut, and, of course, in the cloud, online at pwop.com. Visit our website at dotnetrocks.com for RSS feeds, downloads, mobile apps, comments, and access to the full archives going back to show number one, recorded in September 2002. And make sure you check out our sponsors. They keep us in business. Now go write some code.
Speaker 1: See you next time.