Speaker 1: All right, it's the Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one The Eagle. This segment is brought to you by roller Town Beer Works there in Salina, Texas. That's the brewery that Ben and I are partners in, and man, there's reasons to go all weekend long up there to Rollertown live music both Friday and Saturday night. We currently have nineteen unique, fresh local Rollertown beers on tap, and when these playoff games are happening, we have playoff pitchers twelve fifty on our crushable beers during all the NFL playoff games, and by crushable, we means those are our loggers and our pilsners. Also, great food available, including tonight Jazzy's Tacos and whenever Jazzy's Tacos is at the brewery, people are there. Follow Rollertown on all the socials at Rollertown Beer, on Instagram, Twitter, all those things. Right now it's time for this, and now it's.
Speaker 2: Time for Sweet Day Up Day, featuring veteran news Ank kt fon Tweets. Here are the important stories he's currently tracking from around the world.
Speaker 3: When I'm looking Corollertown Beer, sometimes I'll go to HB and HGB had a store pop up. I mean they've had a couple of stores pop up, you know DFW over the years, but not in Dallas proper, right, And we're learning the HB is going to get a spot in Dallas at the southeast corner of Hillcrest Road and LBJ.
Speaker 4: Wow, let's go.
Speaker 3: Okay, wait what corner southeast corner Hill Chris Road and LBJ.
Speaker 5: Okay, pretty great location in North Dallas. Yeah, pretty great location. I had a post up the other day and I was asking people about things that are overrated. What's something that's or hyped up that you don't get And a lot of people were jelly roll BUCkies, maybe jelly roll jelly rolls of different things.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: And I know there's a couple of people put up AGB.
Speaker 5: Come on and I will tell you if you put up a GiB, you haven't experienced it. Like you're missing out, like you're you're wrong about that. I don't think it's it is elite. It is such a badass grocery store.
Speaker 3: It takes a special kind of person to think any grocery store is overrated.
Speaker 4: Are things that you don't get it. I don't like it's a store.
Speaker 6: What makes it better or different from grocery stores.
Speaker 5: There's the the it's kind of like a restaurant, Like there's so many pre cooked meals or meals that you just have to warm up. I guess those are pre cooked. And it's like high end, like super super nice. And there's like a barbecue joint. There's just like achb barbecue.
Speaker 7: Joint and it's good.
Speaker 4: Their barbecue place is awesome.
Speaker 7: It's like nuts and it'll get in.
Speaker 5: There's like a badass florist and then they they actually have an awesome selection of like craft beer and wine and dude.
Speaker 4: It is Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean tom Thumb has all of that, and that's where I go. Like they have pre meals right there.
Speaker 1: But what I would say this is, I mean we have a tom Thumb by our house and we go to that tom Thumb. Yeah, I would rather go to the Achib. I have to drive further to get there. But in al And I have a tom Thumb I don't know, eight minutes from my house and I have an Agib fifteen minutes from my house. I would rather drive to the Agib. And I like the tom Thumb just fine, right, Yeah, I like Tom Thumb too.
Speaker 5: Tom Thumb's just fine, but it's it's special, man, it's special.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 5: It is to normal grocery stores what a Bucky's is to a gas station.
Speaker 4: I won't disagree with that.
Speaker 7: Fair.
Speaker 1: And by the way, there's others that are in Like I don't even know that I'm being fair and comparing Hib to Tom Thumb, like maybe it should be Achib compared to Central Market.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's got you know, Trader Joe Vibe too, because they have their own brand of raff too.
Speaker 4: Trader Joe's more like in the Sprouts category. And yeah, it's probably fair. There are some.
Speaker 5: Elite there's some elite Kroger's, there are some market places. I mean, there's a bunch of great stores, and then within some brands they have higher level stores.
Speaker 4: Right, but every AGB is magical. It's just everyone is exactly the same. It's a badass.
Speaker 3: The reason it's a big deal. Every time one pops up, there's a huge news story about it.
Speaker 1: And part of it is because it was mainly a San Antonio, Austin thing. Like when I went to school at ut in eighty nine to ninety, that's where I saw Egb's. I'd never heard of it. I was like, I don't know what this is, and then you know, I haven't lived it down there in so long. But then when they started popping up here, it's just because they were they're like the South Central region, and then they kind of came into our marketplace. And when they go when they pop up, it's it's a people go nuts, like there's weights. It's kind of like when In and out Burger first showdout, You're like, why is there a line out in the seventy five? I don't understand, But it's the newness of it and that it's offering something that you're not getting at your other places.
Speaker 3: So a couple of years ago, it was a big deal when the Long Horned Ballroom was coming back, and I remember going, Okay, that's cool, but I've never experienced a long horn ballroom. I don't even know when it went away. Actually, I was like, okay, but any talking about venues coming back to the legendary venue. And then the first time I went there, I was pretty blown away by how historic it is too. Not only it's just a good venue, like how historical is you can walk through like I can't describe it. Where the bathrooms are on the other side. When you walk in opposite side of the entrance, they have these shrines to legendary acts and concerts that had played there over the years.
Speaker 1: When the current ownership group, led by this guy Edwin, bought it, they bought it to preserve the history of it. They had no desire to tear it down. And like one of the great venues from me growing up going to shows is the Bronco Bowl. The Bronco Bowl got torn down and turned into I believe, a home depot, so the building's not even there. So like where I saw Outcast and DiAngelo and all these great shows, now you go there, it's a different building and you can buy lumber. But the Longhorn Ballroom, when Edwin and his group bought it, they bought it and they worked with the city with the sole purpose of preserving a historic site, like the way they do in certain neighborhoods. You cannot tear this house down. It has historic value because of the architecture, and no matter what, we will not let you zone to tear this house down.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like what he did with that venue.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's crazy. All kinds of iconic acts have played there, but one of them is the sex Pistols. I'll admit I don't know a ton about but in nineteen seventy eight they played the Longhorn Ballroom and a week after that concert the band was pretty much broken up because a lot of bad things happened.
Speaker 4: They had a lot of problem The.
Speaker 3: Bass player was accused of stabbing his girlfriend to death in New York said vicious.
Speaker 4: Have they ever seen Sid and Nancy? Anybody's seen that?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's worth seeing if you've never seen Sid Nancy Courtney Love, isn't it really? She plays a friend of Nancy's. Oh yeah, have been weird. She was Nancy because you know she was just would have been strange. But then he died of a heroin overdose.
Speaker 3: Anyway, the point is when they came here January tenth, nineteen seventy eight, was a huge show. Then in fact the Marquis there's a picture of it. It's them and Merle Haggard's the other name on there. Merle Haggard played the long Horn Ball. Well, that concert is being released as a live album. Really, and I don't know who all has gotten like how do you even preserve that. I mean, someone had it and had it there for fifty.
Speaker 1: Years and they remastered it. Someone probably sad because I do know the Longhorn used to have a recording facility there.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it's been recorded to, you know what the source material is. But yeah, probably it might've just come straight off the board onto a deck nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 4: That would have that wouldn't have been that weird.
Speaker 3: The tickets for that concert in nineteen seventy eight were three dollars and fifty cents. Yeah, and they were selling it back last summer they were selling this.
Speaker 4: I guess there's probably back Longhorn Ballroom's back.
Speaker 3: So Herritage Auctions was selling those or had some un used concert tickets and they sold and bids were starting at thirteen hundred dollars to buy the tick to have the ticket.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: So it's a huge, famous show and it's going to be released underneath a universal music group.
Speaker 1: Sid Vicious got smashed in the Sid Vicious is the bass player you reference. He got smashed in the face with a bottle and was bleeding everywhere on stage.
Speaker 4: At this show, at this show. There's an iconic picture ticket events.
Speaker 1: Right, that's from Lotimore Ball fantastic And I believe I'm doing this off the top of my head, so forgive me if it's an accurate I believe they only played six American shows.
Speaker 3: That might be true because they're releasing and maybe less. Say they're releasing the Atlanta one, the San Francisco one as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so they were coming to America do an American tour and they didn't get to do a lot of shows because they imploded. Do they have like a popular song, God Save the Queen. Yeah, it's I Am the antique riest that one. I know, I'd probably reconi a man.
Speaker 4: It's punk.
Speaker 1: It's like you would have to be you know. It's not like they had radio hit. Yeah, Like, uh, didn't they do? We built this city?
Speaker 4: That's them. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now Generation X, which was Billy Idols group, had Ready Steady Go.
Speaker 4: That was like a song that actually kind of people know and they've heard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's from those punk guys and gals. Getting on the radio was a middle finger to them. Yeah, they didn't want to be on They want that right now. They were actually uh, you know, rebelling against big stadium rock music that was dominating radio in nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what was that a queen?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, anything any like big rock any yeah, Zeppelin, any big rock band of that era, for sure.
Speaker 3: Boy, it's a documentary. It's a documentary. Time of year for me and Christine, the SNL documentary Tonight on Peacock Thecock come and then we're a month away or less than a month away from the led Zeppelin documentary.
Speaker 4: That's gonna be good, Yes, it is.
Speaker 1: Have you guys ever do you guys know the lead singer of the sex Pistols.
Speaker 7: I know Steve Nash.
Speaker 4: That's accurate.
Speaker 1: His name is he went when he was with the sex Pistols, he went under the name Johnny Rotten. Oh yeah, but his name was John Leyden and he had another group called Public Image Limited that actually had some decent sized alternative hits in the eighties. So if you ever see the band p I L.
Speaker 4: What is their most.
Speaker 8: Popular I could be wrong, I could be right. That's Supreme Court. They're uh, they're talking this over here.
Speaker 7: What are we gonna do?
Speaker 3: Are we gonna ban TikTok?
Speaker 7: Please?
Speaker 4: They're discussing it. Ah, my girl, look at you in there.
Speaker 7: Curs data like I kind of want it to happen.
Speaker 4: Why do you say that.
Speaker 6: I don't use it so, but I know that it is good for small businesses and stuff like that. But the main thing is kids are just on it all the time. They're getting fake information from it and believing it. You hear all stories, stories, usually about some TikTok trend where these kids get hurt because they saw it on TikTok.
Speaker 7: So I don't really care.
Speaker 1: Most most nights, if I wake up in the middle of the night, my wife's back has turned to me and I see a glow and she's not She will even admit it, Like I think if they took TikTok away, she'd be like, well, cab six new hours a day back, What am I gonna do with this?
Speaker 7: Instagram's bad at that too. Yeah, Instagram's bad at that too.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: That's so funny that you say that, because this morning I couldn't go back to sleep and so I had that glow going on my side of the head.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, I do the same thing.
Speaker 6: You.
Speaker 5: You look up, You're like, oh my god, I've been scrolling for forty five minutes. I've learned nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, I'm on my phone just as much, probably more than she is. I'm just not looking at TikTok. She'll figure out what to do with that time. Everybody will figure it out. My kids are on TikTok. I don't know if dez is Maya's on it. My wife is on it a lot. I remember our very first show on The Eagle. Mark Cuban was in studio with this for the first hour, and I remember him talking about, you know, TikTok is you know, addictive. He's talk about how big it's going to get. It was already big, and how big it's going to get, and that.
Speaker 3: Always like stuck with me? Is he just talked about the addictive nature of it. And I think the question was more about like endgame entertainment and things like that, and how do you keep people folks on the game. But I've just done a pretty good job of not allowing myself to go down the hole the wormhole.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in other words, not taking on another app.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just kind of I have it, but I don't if I if I even do the TikTok, like the scroll five, six, seven, eight, and then I've found a way to stop, and I've tried to condition myself five years ago to do that, so I didn't get lost in that place because I just didn't want to, because yeah, I would feel I would feel guilty about it.
Speaker 5: I think I just do the same thing with not as you. I do the same things with people who watched TikTok. I just do it with Instagram and Facebook.
Speaker 1: Yeah, reels, reels s I uh, but I'll jump on Instagram. But I think when I'm on Instagram, I'm usually only on it like five to ten minutes at a time, and so I don't do as much scrolling, but I do stare at the screenk I mean, I do a ton of reading, and then obviously text messages and emails like you can.
Speaker 4: I can sit in a chair and spend.
Speaker 1: An hour doing emails and text messages because that same satisfaction you get from TikTok, where you're scrolling and something new is happening. If I send three or four text messages, there's a chance that there's two or three responses. So I'm having several text chains and looking at emails. It's the same sensation. Sure, you know, it's like a new thing is popping up, like busy work.
Speaker 3: Right the the lawyer for TikTok basically said, they will go dark on Sunday unless you're Supreme Court justices grant a temporary reprieve and it's been thrown out. Sixty to ninety days could happen. And this is basically going to come down to what does Trump want because the Supreme Court of six to three, and they will basically if Trump tells them to do this.
Speaker 4: They will.
Speaker 3: I think they're kind of debating, and I've seen that. Even Biden his last days because the inauguration is Monday, He's like, well, maybe we should do a reprieve, so that might be something that we agree on as we unite the country.
Speaker 4: And mister Best talking about buying it.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen that, but every time I open up Amazon Prime to watch Pop Culture Jeopardy, I see a Mister Beasts commercial and I don't like his face.
Speaker 7: It's a fake smile. It's a little irritating.
Speaker 4: I could not pick him out of a lineup of PGA guys.
Speaker 3: I couldn't until he was thrown at me on Amazon Prime a lot, and I just are you with me, honest, something weird.
Speaker 9: He's got a punchable he's got a punch of face. Sell to some of my favorite people, Colin, Jeff, just culture Jeff, you just have a punchable face face, Eli definitely Eli.
Speaker 4: Yes, all right, there you have it.
Speaker 5: There is a weekly weekday up Day coming up next the latest on the Dallas Cowboys head coaching search.
Speaker 4: That is next