Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App k f I and KOST HD two Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Orange County and Amy Kay.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock straight up. This is your wake up call for Friday, September twentieth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. So glad you're getting your day started with us. I don't know why I'm so excited it's Friday. I'm still getting used to and I've been doing it for over a year, but I'm still getting used to having weekends off because I never did before. I worked it on Saturdays here at KFI for forever and never had those Saturday Sundays off, So I'm extra thrilled about that. Also, it's one week until I go over the edge. Need your help. Would love to have you donate to the Union Rescue Mission. We're going to be repelling twenty five stories down the Universal Hilton a week from today, and I'm taking Niel Savager with me. If you would like to donate, it's just help one dot org and appreciate any support you can give us. Holmlessness out of control, and these people actually want help, and the Union Rescue Mission actually gives help. It's not just putting a band aid on it. It's helping the it's helping people get back on their feet. Here's what's ahead on wake up Call. Eight Orange County firefighters have been injured SI because of them critically in a rollover crash. They were on their way back from fighting the fire that started in tribue O Canyon. Officials say the fire truck swerved to avoid a ladder in the road, hit a guard rail, and then rolled over on the two forty one in Irvine last night. Several of the firefighters were airlifted to hospitals. Israel has hit several Hesbaalah targets in Lebanon, following an announcement by the Defense Minister that a new era in the war along the Northern Front was beginning. The strikes come following the explosion of Hamas owned pagers and walkie talkies this week that killed more than three dozen and injured more than three thousand. We're going to get the latest on that in a couple minutes with ABC's Geordana Miller. Oh My O Tani the La slugger became the first major League player to get fifty home runs and fifty stolen bases in a single season. He reached the milestone last night against the Marlins. Only five players have ever eclipsed forty home runs and forty stolen bases in the same season. We've got the house whisper coming up at the bottom of the hour. If your house is hot, he can help, and why this weekend might be a good one to grab some popcorn, curl up on the couch and turn on the TV. Lots of news shows are hitting the stream. We're going to be checking with ABC's Jason Nathanson. And if you don't want to curl up on the couch and you want to go to the beach, it's Coastal clean Up Day tomorrow. We're going to be talking to the founder of the Save Our Beach Group and that's coming up at five twenty. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. Insurance companies in California have been ordered to stop dropping policies for one year. Bill, I'll tell you about that. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom.
Speaker 4: It's a tough time for the Orange County Fire Authority family.
Speaker 1: Eight firefighters have been hurt in Orange County when their fire truck crashed on the two forty one toll Road in Irvine. Six of the injured firefighters are in critical condition. CHP says the truck swerved last night to avoid hitting a ladder on the road and smashed into the guardrail. OCFA Chief Brian Fannessie says the crew was returning from the fire burning between Orange County and Riverside County.
Speaker 5: You can only imagine how tramat it it is for their brothers, sister firefighters to see them injured like that on the freeway.
Speaker 1: The CHP kept northbound lanes of the two forty one closed four hours following the crash. News brought to you by ruterhroo dot com. Resource centers have been open to help people impacted by the fires in La Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino Counties. One of them is in Lake Elsinore, close to where more than eighty homes burned. Riverside County Emergency Management spokesman Shane Reichart says many people had to get out of their homes with just the clothes on their backs.
Speaker 6: So some people are in need of clothing. Some people are in need of documentation, so things like their registration, their marriage certificates, other important documents.
Speaker 1: He says. Reps from the DMV and the County Recorder's office will be helping people get temporary IDs and vital records. The center opened yesterday and we'll run from noon to nine Monday through Thursday, and eight to five on Saturdays. Sheriff's officials say the person who brutally attacked a valet at Barney's Beanery in West Hollywood also attacked at least four other people over a span of just about twenty minutes. The valet was knocked to the ground, stomped on, and kicked in the head last Saturday night. He remains in the ICU and the guy who did it is still on the loose. The Dodgers show, Hey Otani has made Major League Baseball history, becoming the first player to hit fifty home runs and steal fifty bases in a single season. He did it yesterday in the Dodgers game against the Marlins. As called on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 7: So Hey Old Tony with an opposer Field home run fifty fifty.
Speaker 8: One a day for sure.
Speaker 1: Show Hey went six for six at the plate, smashed three home runs, two doubles in a single and of course stole two bases. And he wasn't the only one who had a good day. The Dodgers beat the Marlins twenty to four. They're back at home tonight. I would imagine that Show Hey's going to get quite a warm reception. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Geordana Miller in Jerusalem. Jordana, things continue to heat up in the Middle East. Can you please provide us with the latest.
Speaker 7: That's right, we're seeing today some of the most intense exchanges of fire between Hsbulla and the Israeli Army. We just got the first kind of look at the numbers, and about one hundred and forty missiles have been fired by Hasbella just today. It's only about three in the afternoon here and they've been fired, dozens of them deep into Israeli territory. That is, for example, the city of safid An artist a town that sits on a hill which has not been evacuated, that coming under dozens of missiles this morning. Now, the Israeli Army a few hours ago changed its home Front Command guidelines, asking Israelis in and around, for example, the city of Safid and further norse and to the west the Galilee, the Western Galilee, the Golan Heights to take shelter and stay by their safe rooms, not to go outside, not to gather. That's the first change. They did it last night also for several hours. These are the first changes really in several months, which it gives you an indication of the intensity of the firepower that's being exchanged. Now. It all really began last night when the Israeli Army saw that Husbolla has looked like they were preparing for a reprisal strike following the explosion of their devices on Tuesday and Wednesday, and the very defiant speech of a Husbala leader not in Husrel on Thursday, who vowed to avenge those attacks. And so Israel saw the preparations last night, and last night Israel took out they say. The Army says about a thousand rocket lawns with rockets inside, and that has that that also started uh this, you know, this more intensified level of strikes. And the question is how long will it go? On for will it stay within these kind of unwritten rules even though they're striking a little bit further, Uh, you know south into Israel. They haven't hit, for example, Haifa, Israel's huge city with hundreds of thousands of residents. Will will it be at this level for a couple of days and then die down? Or are we seeing what could lead to you know, a larger escalation, possibly an Israeli ground incursion into Lebanon. Right, it's where you know, it's unclear where this is going right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and Jordana, we know that Israel has the Iron Dome, and you said that they're firing a lot of rockets and missiles into the area. Are they all being intercepted or are some getting through?
Speaker 7: So many are being intercepted, some are falling in open fields and setting you know, land on fire. You know, blazes are burning in parts of northern Israel. That happens almost every day now. But it's important also to point out that the Iron Dome deals with really uh, mid range rockets and short range rockets, the air to the Patriot system and the David Slange those are other layers of Israel's air defense system and they're also being employed right now, it's not just the Iron Dome, and they're only being employed when they pick up that the missiles or rockets or drones are heading towards populated areas. Otherwise they prefer to you know, keep the you know, there's a you know, the missile that intercepts a rocket mid air is expensive, and Israel wants to and use them when they're going to populated areas.
Speaker 1: So if they're not really going to hit anything, like you said, if they're going to just come down in a field, they'll probably let it go, that's right.
Speaker 7: They prefer to let them fall in an open field, you know, that's right. And that again, every day there's fields on fire. That's been part of what's happening in the North. It's clear that you know, Israeli leaders, including the Prime Minister and the Defense Minister, who've had a lot of disputes over the last several months, it seems that they are now on the same page that the war focus is shifting from Gaza to the North, and you know, Israel pushing really up to that line before maybe an open war, you know, And the question is what is Israel's intentions and I think this is where it gets dangerous and unclear. You know, is Israel pushing so that has Ball of backs down and decides maybe we don't want to go to war with Israel right now, right and Israel has said you know that, people have implied you know, we have other surprises for you besides what happened with the Pagers, right even though they have not technically or officially climbed that strip. Maybe Hasbolla will back down, but maybe it'll produce exactly the opposite. Maybe has Bolla will you know, big their heels in and say, you know, we're going to go to war. So I think you know, haustin Nosralla, the leader of Hasbola, left open the option of war.
Speaker 1: Okay, Gosha. So it's just everything is so complicated, and we appreciate it. We appreciate you helping to sort it out because like we said, it's just all these layers of this onion and there's not an easy answer to anything. So well, stay safe and we will talk to you soon, and thanks again, and have a good weekend. Okay, all right, take care. Yeah, by my goodness, it just gets more and more unsettling. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsrooms. Some people in Marina del Rey say the owner of the yacht that cut, caught fire and sank in the harbor was constantly partying on the boat.
Speaker 9: People in the area say the owner of the boat is known for throwing parties with lots of alcohol and pot. Curtis Burnett lives nearby and says he's not surprised the yacht went down in a blade.
Speaker 1: There's always people coming and going on the boat. They apparently lived on the boat, and I was always concerned about what possibly may happen.
Speaker 9: Fireworks popped off and explosions were heard as the boat burned and sank Wednesday night, leaking thousands of gallons of diesel fuel into the harbor. LA County Fire says it's investigating exactly what sparked the fire. Chris Adler, KFI News Circumental.
Speaker 1: Two former Disney stars have released a song about their experience with the mass shooting. They heard the mass shooting from their bus in Sacramento in twenty twenty hours after a performance at the Crest Theater. Allie and aj are demanding gun refer in the US six people were killed, twelve others wounded when at least when several people opened fire on a crowd on K Street. New research shows how COVID nineteen most likely started. ABC's Derek Dennis says scientists researching the origins of COVID have identified some animals that possibly sped the virus to people.
Speaker 10: Researchers analyzed genetic material gathered from the Chinese market in Wuhan, where the first outbreak was detected, and found the most likely animals spreading COVID were raccoon dogs, civet cats, and bamboom rats.
Speaker 1: Dennis says the scientists suspect the infected animals were first brought to the Wuhan market in late twenty nineteen and somehow infected humans. A man who claims his thumb was severed in the San Diego Central Jail has sued the county. The man says when he was an inmate in July of last year, he was lined up for a pat down and he was told to stand past a red line that showed where it is safe to stand. He says, as he stood there, a deputy shut a sliding door and severed his thumb. He says. Deputies then told him it's not that bad and taunted him for the remainder of his time in jail by giving him a thumbs up. Okay, so a week from today, we're going over the edge for the Union Rescue Mission. I'm going to do it. Neil Sevadra is gonna do it. And again we're raising money for the Union Rescue Mission, which is an organization that actually helps homeless people. We keep hearing about how money is being thrown at the homeless problem, and we see it it's just getting worse. But the Union Rescue Mission actually helps people. Their shelters are dry, no drugs, no alcohol involves, so the people who really want help are the ones who are getting it. They also have transitional housing, they have ged programs, job training, all this stuff to actually help people get back on their feet and get off the streets permanently. That's why both Neil and I are behind this because it's different, it makes a different rants, and eighty six cents out of every dollar goes directly to benefit the people who need it most. We're going to repel twenty five stories off the Universal Hilton on Friday, September twenty seventh, we need your help to do it. We would love for you to donate whatever you can fifty dollars, five hundred dollars, two dollars, I don't care, just donate what you can to actually help this problem get solved. And want to say thanks to Kim and Eric and Jan who donated to the cause, and I hope you'll join them again. We're going to be doing this a week from Friday, going over the edge for the Union rescue mission. Please join us and donate if you can. Firefighters are gaining some more ground in their fight against the three big wildfires burning in southern California. None of the fires grew yesterday. The fire in the Angelus National Forest near Rightwood and Mount Baldy's fifty three percent surrounded, the fire in the San Bernardino Mountains fifty two percent surrounded, and the one that's been the most destructive of the three in the Sanna Mountains is forty two percent surrounded. Sean Diddycombe's lawyer plans to appeal his bail denial for a third time. Two judges have already said no Combs. His lawyers also trying to get Combs moved to a jail in New Jersey, where he says comes will be able to better prepare for his upcoming trial. The John Wayne Airport is the best one in the US. The twenty twenty four North American Airport Satisfaction Survey from JD Power shows the airport in Orange County is the best large airport in the United States. The rankings are based on customer satisfaction on things like terminal facilities, airport staff, and how easy it is to travel through the airport. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. Speaking of planes, Qatar Airways has banned pagers and walkie talkies on board its planes. Let's say good morning now to the founder and president of Save our Beach, Steve Mason, or good morning Steve.
Speaker 5: Good morning Amy. How are you.
Speaker 1: I'm doing good. So it's literally time to save our beaches. It's coastal cleanup day.
Speaker 5: Yes it is okay, so tell us it is.
Speaker 1: Tell us about it and what do we do and how much good does it do?
Speaker 5: Well? Specifically, I'm the president and founder of Saber Beach, which is located here in Seal Beach, and we are celebrating our twenty fifth year of doing Coastal Cleanup Day. The Coastal Cleanup itself is in its fortieth year, so Coastal Cleanup Day is all over California. We are specifically in Seal.
Speaker 1: Beach, okay, And and you said it's going on all over California. We'll mention a few of the places that you can go and do cleanups, but for yours specifically, when are you doing it and what are you looking for? Do you still need volunteers?
Speaker 5: We always need volunteers. Unfortunately, there's an endless supply of trash that comes down the river here in Seal Beach. Our cleanup is this Saturday in Seal Beach on starts at nine am through now. We'll have two locations, one at the first Street Beach parking lot and one at the pier. We are expecting around one thousand people, but we always got room for more.
Speaker 1: Okay, And do you need to register? Can you just show up?
Speaker 5: You can register at Save Ourbeach dot org or you can just show up and register at the cleanup okay.
Speaker 1: Perfect. And also just so you guys know, as you're listening, if you're missing the addresses, you can get a complete list of not only the save our beach in Seal Beach, but also all over the state in southern California. KFIAM six forty dot com slash wake up call. We've got a complete list. So what kind of things are you picking up? Steve?
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, it's anything and everything. The biggest item that we'll find is styrofoam. That's the one item that continues to break down and people pick up. But we get everything from couches to half a bowling ball. It's unusual, but it's always out there. But there's a never shortage of things to pick up. The small stuff is just important is the big stuff, because the small stuff will actually harm ocean life, and so we want to get that just as importantly. So, but we supply bags, gloves, pickers, free parking, so we try to make it as easy and as fun to do something good for mother Earth.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. And is the stuff that you find, is it dumped or left behind, or is washed up or just a combination of everything.
Speaker 5: It's a combination. Some of it's left behind, but some of it washes down the river. Some of it comes back to shore off the bottom of the ocean as the tide comes in. But we get a lot coming down the river. Here in se A Beach specifically, we have fifty two cities that flow into the sand Gable River that create the mountains of trash, especially after the first rain. And so really what we're trying to do here is to get the trash before the first rain comes.
Speaker 1: I hate to hear that the mountains of trash. So, Steve is the is the problem getting worse? Is it getting a little better?
Speaker 5: Oh? No, we have made progress in twenty five years. It was nothing to have one hundred people untill five or six numpters. Now it's hard to get five or six dumpsters, but which is a good problem to have. So we've made some serious progress. We've got some quantum leafs that we're going to make moving forward. We're working on a self contained trash wheel that will go out during these flushes, so we expect that sometime next year to get launched. But we are very excited that we're Our goal is to put ourselves out of business, and we're not there yet, but we're making serious progress.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's Coastal Cleanup Day and Steve Masoner, your beach is Seal Beach, and again you can go to kfiam six forty dot com slash wake up call to get a list of all the beaches. It's going to be a beautiful day tomorrow and it's just three hours of your day. They supply everything and you get free parking at the beach. What a great thing to do, What a great thing to do. Steve Masoner, good luck. I do hope that, just like you, you get put out of business soon.
Speaker 5: Me too. Thank you so much, Amy, have a wonderful day, all right.
Speaker 1: Take care. Huntington Beach says a law that keeps gender identity issues from parents is unconstitutional, while the state says outing kids is unconstitutional.
Speaker 11: City attorney Michael Gate says the state's new law prohibiting districts from enforcing gender identity policies is not the state's job.
Speaker 12: While the state may have authority to legislate on education, they do not have the authority to have teachers or ask teachers, or compel teachers, or order teachers to interfere in the parent child relationship.
Speaker 11: But the state ag says it's forced outing policies that violate a student's civil rights and put them in danger. Council Van dan Comick says the lawsuit Bob this week uses taxpayer money to litigate an unpopular position that has nothing to do with the.
Speaker 13: City in Orange County.
Speaker 8: Corbin Carson kf I News.
Speaker 1: Early voting for the November election has started in three states. Sees Brittany Shepherd's voters in Virginia, especially in the suburbs, may predict how a key group might act across several battleground states.
Speaker 14: Suburban women were a major factor in President Donald Trump's twenty twenty loss, and Vice President Kamala Harris will need them to get an edge over Trump, and a recent Washington Post poll shows Harris with an eighteen point advantage among women voters in Virginia.
Speaker 1: Early in person or absentee voting also starts today in Minnesota and South Dakota. A sixteen year old from Michigan has set two Guinness World records for having the largest hands and the largest feet in the world. Eric Kilburn Junior's hands measure almost ten inches, most people's are about seven, and he wears a size twenty three shoe. Eric says he hasn't been able to shot for shoes in a store since he was in fifth grade. By the way, he's six foot eleven. Hey did you see show hey Otani reach fifty to fifty? He did it last night, of course. And then did you see the Dodgers pummel the Marlins twenty to four. He and the Dodgers return to Dodgers Stadium tonight as the Dodgers take on the Rockies, with the first pitch going out at seven o'clock. You can listen to every play on AM five seventy LA Sports, and you can stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports powered by LA Care for all of LA, and I bet all of LA is going to be very excited to welcome showhy Otani home to Dodgers Stadium tonight. Wow, what a feat. Ten police departments on UC campuses are going to be stocking up just in case there are more protests on campuses that get out of control like they did in the spring. The UC Board of Regions approve the request by drones, pepper bullets, sponge rounds, and other non lethal projectiles. The board, though, says the purchases are routine and not because of the protests. A coalition of city and community leaders have gathered in LA to talk about how to reduce homelessness before the twenty twenty eight Summer Olympics. Plans include temporary housing and food and wellness services. Those attending agreed on Wednesday that a reasonable goal would be to see a fit fifty percent reduction in the homeless population in four years. The NHL's Kings and Ducks have started their training camps for the upcoming season. The Kings are working out at their practice facility, the Toyota Sports Performance Center in El Segundo. The Ducks are training at the Great Park Ice and Five Point Arena in Irvine. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, mortgage rates are dropping in the wake of the Fed's half percent interest rate drop. Let's say good morning now to the house whisper the host of Home right here on KFI, Dean Sharp, Good.
Speaker 13: Morning, Dean, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I think that this is something that a lot of people around southern California are probably or have been experiencing because of the super super hot temperatures we had, thank you for finally cooling down, But that is that bad insulation leads to hot houses.
Speaker 13: That's very, very true. It's very true.
Speaker 4: Most Southern California houses are grossly under in and so that's why we're going to have a very serious conversation about it on Sunday. Insulation is not a very sexy topic.
Speaker 1: It's not what, but you're going to make it fun for us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at the end of the day, there are very few things. And you know what what is sexy is saving money, big money.
Speaker 13: Uh, here it is, Here is the thing. Here is the thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's the thing?
Speaker 4: The thing is, you know, and a lot of a lot of companies advertise this way. They're like, hey, you know, is it time to save energy costs? It's maybe it's time for a new HVAC system, or we say, you know what, you want to save massively on your energy bills, it's time to replace all the windows in your house. And you know what, I have no issues with. You know, there's a time to replace your air conditioning and your heating system. There's a there's definitely a time for window replacement. But here's the thing for an average home in southern California, I mean just an average home, a new HVAC system fifteen grand easy, I mean just boom replacing windows could be anywhere between ten and twenty thousand dollars, depending on how many windows you have and the replacements you want to do. And at the end of the day, a new HVAC system does not actually make your home more energy efficient. It just runs the AC a little bit more efficient and the windows are still holes in the side of the house. Compared to that, compared to fifteen grand or twelve grand, the average cost of doing better insulation in your attic, it's about two thousand dollars, and it makes a massive, massive difference. So I'd just like to say that when it comes to energy efficiency for a home, nothing saves more money for less money than insulation. And we got to get serious about it because two thirds of southern California homes built before nineteen seventy five, when the state had zero energy efficient standards none. And if you live in a house that was built before seventy two, the only reason there's insulation in the exterior walls is if you or a previous owner put it in, because it wasn't built that way. It was built non insulated because it just wasn't even a thought in anybody's mind back then. Because of our misunderstanding of what insulation is for, and.
Speaker 1: Because of our temperate climate. Like in Oregon, everybody's got insulation, but here we don't, and and so like that's also what you said is a misnomer that people think that insulation is to keep your house warm, which it.
Speaker 4: Doesn't big but actually exactly it does. That's but it's half the equation. That's the problem is that you know, you know, the West Coast was settled from East coast transplants, and so we brought out East coast mentality. Well, of course insulation is for keeping your house warm in the winter, but it's sunny in southern California, we don't need insulation. Insulation is not about that, it's not it's you know, it's about keeping one state of energy on one side of the wall and another state of energy on the other side of the wall. So whether it's cold that you want to keep out or heat that you want to keep out, insulation is a three hundred and fifty two is it three sixty? However many days there are in the year, every day of the year, twenty four to seven issue, insulation is doing its job for us or not or not?
Speaker 1: Okay? And you're going to be talking much more about insulation, what you can do, what you shouldn't do, good insallation, bad insulation, all of that coming up this weekend on your show? Is it both days? Are you're doing something else on one day or another?
Speaker 4: We're taking calls on Saturday, and we've got all I always love it when you take off and miscellaneous and insulation is the big show on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Okay, So home with Dean Sharp Saturday six to eight am, and then get insulated with Dean Sharp Sunday to noon. You can also follow Dean at Home with Dean. Thank you so much, Dean, Stay cool, you too. Ingmen, Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Street racing and street takeovers in LA have continued despite the city's efforts to stop them.
Speaker 15: The infrastructure put in place to stop the takeovers has just pushed them to other intersections. LAPD Deputy Chief Don Graham says the illegal activities attruct people to LA because of the iconic backgrounds the city offers for social media posts.
Speaker 2: It creates more likes, it creates more adoption by other groups, and therefore it monetizes the process.
Speaker 15: The LA Department of Transportation told a city council committee this week it could expand its efforts to stop takeovers for two hundred and fifty thousand dollars in downtown La.
Speaker 13: Michael Monks KFI news.
Speaker 1: Governor Newsom has joined state and local leaders in San Francisco to sign legislation he says puts more teeth in enforcing state laws on homelessness. Newsom says there's a shift away from nimbiism in cities and.
Speaker 6: The shift of understanding that state vision is realized at the local level.
Speaker 4: Localism is determinative, particularly as it relates to housing.
Speaker 1: The Seven Bills further incentivize cities and counties to build more affordable housing. The astronauts who took a ride to the International Space Station on Boeing's Starliner should have been home in plenty of time for the November election so they could vote. But now Butch Wilmore and Sunny Williams are stuck in space until February. That's when they're going to get a ride home. They'll still be able to vote, though, thanks to a bill passed by the Texas Legislature, in nineteen ninety seven that allows astronauts to cast absentee ballots from orbit who they'll vote for. Still up in the air, It's Halloween time at Disneyland Resort. I know it's just September, but why not start celebrating early, kay, if I want to give you the chance to experience all the frightful fun at the happiest place on Earth now the spookiest place on Earth at the Disneyland Resort now through October thirty. First, you're going to find fendishly tasty treats, thrills for one and all, and bootiful decor in both Disneyland California Adventure Park or disney California Adventure Park and also Disneyland Park. Keep it right here, because wake Up Call is gonna have tickets for you. You can get a chance to win a four pack of one day one park tickets to the Disneyland Resort. I love Halloween Time at the Disneyland Resort. Hope you get to go experience it too. And like I said, be listening because we're going to give away a four pack of one day one park tickets to the resort. Ten police departments on UC campuses are going to be stocking up in case there are more protests on campus that get out of control like they did in the spring. The UC Board of Regions approve the request yesterday to buy drones, pepper bullets, sponge rounds, and other non lethal projectiles. The board says the purchases are routine and not because of the protests. Marquis Harris Dawson will be installed as the next LA City Council president today, is taking over for termed out Council president Paul Krekorian. Officials say he is going to be the leader of the fifteen member council that he'll worked to tackle homelessness, meet housing goals, and set policies for nearly four million Angelinos. The Dow Jones Industrial Average and the SMP five hundred both closed at all time highs a day after the FED lowered interest rates by a half percentage point. The Dow gained five hundred twenty two points yesterday, closing at forty twenty twenty five. The SMP was up ninety five to twenty five hundred and thirteen. The NADSDAK also saw gaines, climbing four hundred forty points to eighteen thousand thirteen. Let's say good morning now to Jason Nathanson, ABC's entertainment guru. Morning Jason, stand by.
Speaker 8: I'm just checking my stocks to see how they did.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm like, do I have enough invested? You know, stocks are up like twenty percent this year.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic. It is actually going to take a look at my four long k and not cringe.
Speaker 1: Okay, just don't don't touch it. I've I was the long game. It's the long game, absolutely not. Ok So, uh, we're all about to stream this weekend, so get some popcorn and planned to stay in your jammys. Huh.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of stuff coming out, so certainly on streaming that's come out this week and coming out today. One of the best of the bunch, I would say, is The Penguin on HBO and Max, which just started streaming yesterday, just one episode.
Speaker 8: One episode at the time. They're gonna they're.
Speaker 2: They're gonna parse it out, you know, like a regular television show.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And it was originally just gonna be a Max show and then they moved it to HBO. I think because they felt, Okay, we've got something good here, and they do Uh. This is a spin off of the twenty twenty two Batman film, which starred Robert Pattinson as Batman.
Speaker 8: Okay, you know we have we.
Speaker 2: Have many different things set in the Batman world right now, right we have Joker, we have Batman, we have other Batman. You know, there's uh, there's the Affleck Batman and Superman and stuff like that. And you know this is all kind of different this one. If you remember, Colin Farrell played the penguin in the Batman and I didn't remember that, yes, and he wasn't a huge character and it certainly wasn't as cartoony as kind of Danny DeVito's Batman penguin characters in those Batman films and this one. So Colin Ferrell is back now and he's unrecognizable. You if you didn't know that he was in the movie, you wouldn't go, oh, that's Colin Farrell. And here in the makeup, like you cannot tell that it is him. And he does a really good job. And this is a very dark series. It's really it's a mob story. It's about you know, crime, families and things like that, and very very grounded in the world of Gotham. Kristin Meliotti also co stars as one of the heads of the crime family, and she and Colin Ferrell kind of go at it and they've got a great kind of back and forth. I really like their energy and their characters together. And this is also it's very.
Speaker 8: You can't help but at least I couldn't.
Speaker 2: There are Sopranos parallels here, but also Breaking Bad in that in Breaking Bad they delighted in putting their characters in situations you thought there's no way they're getting out of and then they get out of them. And they do this with the Batman as well, so or sorry with the Penguin as well. So I like what I've seen so far. It's also it's funny, it's quirky, it's funny. Yeah, it is. There's some very specific details that you have, like things about car air freshener and cilantro and and things like that, which I just I like those little things and they pay attention to those. So yeah, seven point six out of ten for me for the first two episodes, and I'm very interested to see where the Penguin goes.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, you know, the one thing I can say about all of the Batman movies and all the iterations of it is Gaffham is not a very pleasant place to live.
Speaker 8: It is night and it continues to not be.
Speaker 1: Another dark show that I'm hearing anyway, is the WandaVision spin off Agatha All Along.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dark, but like in the Marvel way, Penguin is dark in the DC way, which is very dark and gritty and dirty, you know, the Marvel stuff is usually a little lighter, little quirkier. And that continues with Agatha All Along, which is a spin off from WandaVision, which was one of the first Marvel shows for Disney Plus a few years ago that really got a lot of acclaim and people really really liked. I never really got into it. I had I had problems with it. There was this whole show within a show, sitcom thing that they were riffing off of that they continue with Agatha All Along, which is it's based on Catherine Han's Agatha Harkness character.
Speaker 8: She's a witch.
Speaker 2: She lost her powers in the first show and this is her kind of trying to regain her powers.
Speaker 8: And I love Catherine Hahn, a big fan of hers.
Speaker 2: You also have in here Aubrey Plaza, Patty Lapone, so a really good, interesting cast.
Speaker 8: It's just not for me. And I'm not going to say that in a bad way or a good way.
Speaker 2: I'm just neutral on it. I know there's an audience for it, it's.
Speaker 8: Just not me.
Speaker 1: And did you like WandaVision or not?
Speaker 8: No, I guess see.
Speaker 1: And that's what I didn't like WandaVision either. I lost it after the first two.
Speaker 2: Episodes and same thing again, just wasn't for me, you know. So I'm neutral on that. I'm neutral on this, but for me, it's just it's a little too much of the Marvel stuff. And I know they've said they're backing off on this, but you do have to know you definitely have to have watched WandaVision to appreciate this, and it's too much of the kind of side quest characters and things like that, and it continues that show within a show thing, although this is different that way. WandaVision was sitcoms and kind of a spoof and a riff on the sitcom world. This one starts out with a spoof and a riff of like true crime stories like Mayor Visa Town and things like that. But again I'm having a hard time getting into it. So five point zero out of ten. But that's for me. That's a neutral right in the middle, you know, didn't love it, didn't hate.
Speaker 1: It, Okay. And then there's a bunch of other things also, but we have to move over to theaters because there's a new animated Transformers movie. The trailer sucked. Is the movie any good?
Speaker 2: I didn't get chance to see it. It's eighty six percent on Rotten Tomatoes. People really like it. It's really it's an animated movie. It's an animated version of Transformers, which we haven't seen since nineteen eighty six. We've seen a lot of live action ones, but the animated hasn't. Really I don't know why they didn't make another animated film until now. And this is kind of it's goofy and it's quirky, and it has a huge voice cast of Chris Hemsworth, Brian Tyree, Henry Scarlett, Johansson, Keegan Michael Key, John Ham, Lawrence Fishburne, and Moore. So really big names doing the voices here. And it's gonna make a bunch of money this week.
Speaker 1: And I think interesting because yeah, we went we went to a movie a couple weeks ago and we watched the trailer. We went with think Pauli o'channey, and we looked at each other afterwards, going, there's nothing appealing about this at all. So it's interesting that we both had that reaction to it. But it's getting good.
Speaker 8: Reviews, yep, getting good reviews, okay.
Speaker 1: And then, speaking of great reviews, one of the best shows of all time on TV, West Wing is celebrating twenty five years and one of your.
Speaker 8: Favorite shows, my favorite show ever.
Speaker 2: I've probably seen it all the way through all seven seasons, one hundred and fifty six episodes, ten times, not joking completely all the way through.
Speaker 1: I'm that way with newsroom ten times.
Speaker 8: I hate the newsroom.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Jason, we are like on polar opposite sides on a lot of this.
Speaker 8: Stu the newsroom gives me.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go back to West Wing, though, because you love that I do.
Speaker 2: And this is Aaron Sorkins's first television series, and you see threads of movies that he's done, including a few good men in the American President.
Speaker 8: In the newsroom, he likes to.
Speaker 2: Plagiarize himself and copy lines, and you see that all through the newsroom, but in the best way or sorry in West West Wing, but in the best way. The writing was so good, especially those first four seasons when it was just Aaron Sorkin. But it also it makes you, It inspires you, It makes you want to do better and go into public service. There are episodes about the estate tax and literally not about like people having sex, about the estate tax or you know whatever.
Speaker 8: You would think, would you need to make that interesting, but it's just the estate tax.
Speaker 2: And I just I loved, loved The West Wing and we'll probably never see anything like it again on broadcast television.
Speaker 1: Can we still see it? Is it streaming?
Speaker 8: It's streaming on HBO Max or Max.
Speaker 1: I might have to go watch it. You're gonna love this. I never watched The West Wing.
Speaker 8: Go watch it.
Speaker 2: It's great and you're watching and go, oh, yeah, the newsroom does suck.
Speaker 1: No, I love the newsroom. Jason Nathanson, Thank you so much.
Speaker 8: All right, take care.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you looking for something to do this weekend, remember when Casa Romantica closed because of the land side. It's opened and they're doing a big celebration. Where is my paperwork on this? They're doing a big celebration this weekend. It's their Toast to the Kasa. It's medieval inspired theme is Renaissance and it's happening tomorrow evening from five to ten. If you want to go out and see Costa Romantica, I gotta go down there, and it looks like it's going to be a good time. They're going to have aerial performers, nights on horseback. Fifteen different vendors are going to be out there, specialty cocktails, even ax throwing. But it's Casa Romantica, their annual Toast to the Casa. It's a fundraiser and looks like a cool thing to do. Also, Coastal Cleanup Day, the largest coast cleanup in the whole wide world. It's just a few hours of your day. It's tomorrow. It's going to be a beautiful day at the beach and it's going to be more beautiful after the beach cleanup. So you can find out a cleanup site near you at KFI AM six forty dot com slash wake up call and we're way late. It's for Bill Handle. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.