Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: And I'm Stephen and this is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Shearsmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea, and join us for the ninth degree. Hello, Hello, Hello, welcome back. How are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm okay. How are you doing?
Speaker 2: You're not bad? A lot of people holiday this week at work, so it's busy, busy.
Speaker 1: No rest for the wicked.
Speaker 2: How about with you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just all right. It's just ticking along, really, isn't it. Yeah, nothing exciting to announce.
Speaker 2: No, not really, No.
Speaker 1: Life goes on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Shall we tell listeners about our hair from last week?
Speaker 2: What was it last week?
Speaker 1: Well? It was Love's Great Adventure. I mean, I think that's quite understandable, making a podcast about a show he loves, great adventure, mystery romance. That's it done, Thank you. Look out for another one this.
Speaker 2: Week, as we discuss lip service. This week, Series six, episode three, Felix is pretty certain his wife is up to something with her boss Dmitri, so he decides to hire someone to help prove things either one way or the other. When professional lip reader Iris arrived with her powerful boculars, the pair stak out in a hotel bedroom and start to gather their evidence. Yeah that's about it, Yeah, thoughts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think i'd forgotten the twist, to be honest, Okay, so thinking back on it, when I think I said to you last week, I'm not that excited about this week. Yeah, I'd completely forgotten the twist. So yeah, I mean it's yeah, it's quite good.
Speaker 2: Right, I like it. I think if it weren't for the twist, I really wouldn't be a fan, because, yeah, more a charactery thing is not my kind of cover of tea. Yeah, but I think it's quite a fun one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's got some sweet moments in it and some good comedy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of Race's roles, Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. So interestingly, our location is not the number nine.
Speaker 2: To bait me into her in this debate.
Speaker 1: Oh, I wasn't even thinking about that, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't, is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't really know what they were thinking. Well, but did you notice that the hotel room number the.
Speaker 1: Digits side up to nine. And you've trained me now anytime I see a number, I'm like, yeah, just check if the digits side up to nine. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fire alarm. It's happening at three fifteen tonight.
Speaker 1: Yes, well done, well done, very clever. I suppose the thing is that this late into the into the show, they're they're sort of having to experimental look bit with them their number nine s which is which is cool? I think? Yeah, you know, because you could you could argue that obviously, you know, their attention is so focused on what's going on inside number nine.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that works.
Speaker 1: But we are in this rather grossy hotel room.
Speaker 2: Not best, is it?
Speaker 1: I would say it's I mean, it might be grotty, but it's quite spacious.
Speaker 2: It's pretty big, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: A lovely walk in wardrobe type thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with real hangers, like they trust you with hangers in that place.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a fallen bathroom with a shower and a bath and everything like it's not some pokey little cupboard. Yeah, and crucially in an adjoining room as well, Yes, which will become relevant later.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: So I was watching this first night because the music is quite serious sounding, and LA like, it looks like it's gonna be one of those serious episodes and Steve starts crying into a into a pillow. Yeah, and then we see the porn and we're like, oh, maybe it isn't as serious as you might think it's going to be.
Speaker 1: Yes, talking about the music, the music made me laugh in this episode because there's this there's this piano theme that he's written for it, and that's therese same like eight bars or whatever of piano music just keep playing but in slightly different keys throughout the episode, and it just as a musician, it's just amusing. It's like he's just gone transpose that into that'll do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard Foreign a Friday.
Speaker 1: So Yeah, Steve's playing Felix.
Speaker 2: Felix Hughes generic boring man. Yeah, apparently this week.
Speaker 1: He's quite good at those kind of roles. Yeah, And I think, you know, like you say, first of all, you think it's quite serious. You think he might have come to end his life or something.
Speaker 2: It could be all sorts of horrible things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yes, it's quite unsavory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jesus Christ or whatever he says he finds it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh, it's just delightful, isn't it. Anyway, go.
Speaker 2: To the local hedges for that kind of material, don't you. That's why it's normally Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he gets rid of.
Speaker 2: It, yeah, with with like tongues.
Speaker 1: And well it's a couple of pencils, isn't it, which he then later on in the episode he puts in his mouth.
Speaker 2: So, oh yeah he does.
Speaker 1: So I think he must have forgotten what he'd been using them for earlier. Charming.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, then we get the best character of the episode.
Speaker 1: Mister Muller. Mister Muller, Eric Muller. Who I mean, he's almost literally just a Nazi, isn't he?
Speaker 2: Pretty much?
Speaker 1: Not to put too fine a points on.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah, yeah, now you mentioned it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, let me just preface this by saying, I love German people. Yeah, I know a few German people and they're all really lovely, and I love the German accent and the German language. So I'm not just saying, oh he's German, there is a Nazi, but yeah, the way he plays it is so specifically like that sort of Nazi doctor or comman dance or something in a camp.
Speaker 2: You know, he really is false stereotype, and it's like this character could be absolutely nothing, like he's not a really important character whatsoever. And Reese has gone, no, no, I will run with this. There are no small parts and all that.
Speaker 1: Yes, but yeah, I mean the mustache and the glasses. It's so so stereotypical out of a World War two movie, isn't he. The accent is brilliant as well.
Speaker 2: Some of the phrasing when.
Speaker 1: He says, I don't need to check the sell by days on your lordest Cara Las biscuits, so specific and everything's so sort of calm, and he.
Speaker 2: Just cannot leave him alone.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: He comes in about five times within the space of train two minutes.
Speaker 1: It's very faulty towers. Yea, yeah, yeah, it's that farcical sort of.
Speaker 2: If Buzzer was German, this would be.
Speaker 1: Well literally yeah, yeah, I mean yeah, because he has lots of buzzers, lots of things about trying to come into rooms to watch people who shouldn't be in there and stuff. Doesn't he Yeah, yeah, we'll get we'll get to it in a bit. But it's a great scene when he comes in trying to find her. Yeah, but yeah, it's good in you know what's got some quite depressing and dark, but it's in this episode. It's nice to have comic relief to balance it. Yea, So definitely it's nice having him come in.
Speaker 2: He's brilliant, he's great.
Speaker 1: It's like, it's like, even when he's saying, what, on the face of it is quite a nice thing about you know, he offers to book him a table at the restaurant and he says no, thank you, and he's like, this is no consequence. He says, it's such a nice thing. But he says it's so threateningly, Yeah, I hope you enjoy a.
Speaker 2: Lax and stay making nice. Definitely. Yeah, it's so strange. It's like that thing of have a good day is nice, enjoy your next twenty four hours of life is quite threatening. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know why he's so suspicious of this man. No, is he like this with every guest.
Speaker 2: Or well I had this, I have a theory for later about that. Oh okay, so I go with it now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm wondering. I thought next door it's presumably calling reception saying the hearing all this stuff, so that when the police inevitably call later, Muller will go, Yes, he was definitely on his own. No one was involved, Like I've checked that room thoroughly several times. Oh, I see, yeah, and there's no no one else is going to get the blame for it. It's going to get so depended on him.
Speaker 1: That would be handy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it's much more of an opening shotcase for the government and well, the police and everything. Yeah, would be my guess.
Speaker 1: Basically, give them a witness for the witness for there being no one else.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And Felix gets more and more stressed every time he's there, Like he'll be like telling the police, guy who's getting more and more worked up every time I saw in them. Yeah, I think mother won't remotely think that's his fault.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, when clearly it's.
Speaker 2: Mother won't stop showing up. That's caused me and more and more bissed up.
Speaker 1: Yes, So we meet Iris well quote unquote Iris. Yeah, I don't know if it's everyone name probably.
Speaker 2: Not, probably not wonderful Sean Cliffords. Yes, she's brilliant, she's so funny. I keep sort of vaguely mixing her up with the woman from Death being not proud. Yeah, I was going to say that with the funny mouth. They're so similar.
Speaker 1: Yeah that I wrote down quirky, very emily, Yeah, very similar performance. But again, it's very clever when you when you realize at the end that she's been doing this as a performance the whole time. Yeah, she's been putting this character on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's an extreme character. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's kind of sad at the end though, when you realize it wasn't real because she she was nice, and she is nice. They could have had something mm hmm.
Speaker 2: But yeah, poor Felix gets sucked in so quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of which, the jokes about her being a prostitute, because again, this is you know, we're watching it for the first time. This woman turns up and you know she could well.
Speaker 2: Be you could you could. It's a bold, like icebreaking joke to make.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, and I don't. I mean, I'm not that experienced in these things, but I don't think many prostitutes turn up in that kind of Cardigan.
Speaker 2: Probably not. I mean, maybe that's that's what they've paid for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no accounting for tasting.
Speaker 1: We also get this thing about hotel kettles. Yeah, oh my god, why Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't have any problem believing that's true.
Speaker 1: No, neither do I.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I want to know why, and it.
Speaker 1: Makes me think back to all the times I might have used those kettles.
Speaker 2: I don't do to your coffee, so I don't.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that lucky.
Speaker 2: I think I've steamed a shirt over a kettle before in a hotel room. But that's about it. Yes, because they didn't have a trouser press either, because they weren't for stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, But the thing is, the tea and coffee that you get from those is never very good anyway, because you sort of have to use the water from the bathroom, right, which is not good, and then it's just substandard. Well, I mean it's you know, I mean, it probably doesn't make a difference when you boil it, does it.
Speaker 2: You know. That's the other thing. I know. It's not obviously not nice, but if someone has been cleaning their pants in there or whatever, like, at the end of the day, it is boiled.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but I don't like the idea.
Speaker 2: I'm not really advocating.
Speaker 1: The idea of it. Yeah, I'm not sure what's worse, the peeing in it or the underwear. I mean, they're probab they're both as bad as each other. Really, Yeah, but yeah, it makes me think next time I go to a hotel, I probably won't use the kettle.
Speaker 2: Like, obviously I don't condone it, but I can vague understand the washing your pants in it. Why would you be peeing in the kettle?
Speaker 1: Because people are weird.
Speaker 2: People are just weirdn't.
Speaker 1: And they're like, oh, do you know what I could do? That would be a laugh, wouldn't it? Why? And then boil it and see what that's like.
Speaker 2: People are so strange.
Speaker 1: People are so that. Yeah, people are very strange.
Speaker 2: Yeah. AnyWho, So we find out that Iris is actually there to be a lip reader for felix Y the spy on his were as far as we're aware, partner. Yeah, Brenda, I can never take anyone seriously called Brenda. I'm sorry if you're called Brenda.
Speaker 1: Listeners inherently funny names. And today's message that I'm going to read out comes from Brenda.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Brenda, hello and goodbye.
Speaker 1: I like this idea of a professional lip reader that you can hire. Yeah, presumably it must exist.
Speaker 2: I assume. So, yeah, like they do get them on like you see them in news and stuff when you know you'll see I don't know them chatting on the balcony at Buckingham Palace and someone like lip readers have said they're saying X, Y and Z, like, yeah, they must they must exist. It's a really morally dubious profession.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it's a bit like a sort of private investigator type thing that you could just hire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's yes, questionable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's very like well put across like the whole thing of oh, you know, we can't guarantee this, you know, this amount of accuracy and blah blah blah, and it's yeah, especially from live, which is quite a professional about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I can understand. She said she normally does it for like court stuff from CCTV and that kind of thing. That makes more sense. But actually doing it live spying on someone with binoculars just feel so icky. Yes, it does, especially if you think they're having an affair.
Speaker 1: It's just inherently well yeah, yeah, let's hope the blinds do get drawn. But yes, you get quite a lot of humor from her misreadings of things. Yeah, the piano, Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 2: So she's trying to identify if it's who it is, if this is the right, if he's got the partner, And Felix says something like he saw her in that this morning, and we obviously assume that that was at home, but presumably he's been spying on her as well.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Yeah, I never twigged that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he must be just like lurking in the bushes or whatever.
Speaker 1: He is a bit creepy, isn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have a nice shout out for Dorothy Perkins. She doesn't get much love, blessing. They're not even that old, are they, Like, I'm sure that's where Nana's party dress came from. Like it's all old lady clothes, isn't it. I have no idea.
Speaker 1: The name rings a bell see it on the high street. But yeah, I thought it sounded like a funny name for him to have got it from. As you like, you know, it wasn't very special. So his wife, or we think is his wife is like a press secretary.
Speaker 2: Yes, with this Dmitriy Novak, who's some she describing as political agitator. That's right, with very nice hair apparently by all accounts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny when she says about you know, your wife has a very good taste.
Speaker 2: Yeah, poor poor little Felix, do you mean him on me?
Speaker 1: She's like both different ways. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he's wanting to find out whether she's having an affair with this Dimitri guy. Yeah, and it's hoping that she isn't. Then he has a chance, and he's gone to the lengths of hiring a lip reader, which it's just a bit weird, but we'll get more into that later. And she starts doing her job, and I don't think poor Phelix can really handle it, honey. No, he thought this would be a great idea, but when it actually comes down to.
Speaker 1: It, Yeah, I mean it must be awful to sit through. Yeah, fair enough if you choose to eavesdrop and what you shouldn't be eavesdropping on. But then you know it's your own fault, really, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is this where we get the return of the wonderful Miller?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The fascicle hiding into the bathroom, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Under in the cupboard, and I've got standards are going the bathroom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's very Emily, and she's like, nah.
Speaker 2: I'll go in the bathroom, Emily. And what's her face, Shelley Henderson. Is it to make a great little three actual yeah, like triplets?
Speaker 1: Yes, oh that would be great. Make it happen, yeah, yeah, this this scene is so faulty Towers, it really is. It's the poor pretense of bringing the breakfast menus. If there's such a rubbish excuse to come in and check the room, Yeah, the breakfast menu and noticed you didn't have one?
Speaker 2: How will you live without one?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And like he's not said anything at the time, so that he can go away and come back and surprise the men at some moment with this information.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic. I mean, are we going to call out the.
Speaker 2: Price thirty one ninety nine or something.
Speaker 1: Thirty one ninety nine and a seven pound trade charge? Yeah, if you wish to say, in your room. And Felix is just like, yes, that all sounds very reasonable. What he's used just trying to get rid of him. It really doesn't.
Speaker 2: It does not for that. If there rooms are this bright and lovely and exciting, then I imagine the breakfast will be equally lovely and exciting. Yeah, I mean, I know it's London prices, but still thirty too quick for a breakfast? Yeah, what are you getting? And I imagine Mula's been at reception and watched Emily come in, not Emily.
Speaker 1: Irish come in, yeah, or she might be called Emily for all we know.
Speaker 2: And probably followed her at a distance upstairs to see I'll watch on the CCTV to see where she went. And then you maybe had to rack his brains and gone, oh, there wasn't a breakfast what do you?
Speaker 1: What does she say when she turns up at reception? Like who is she? Because if you're not allowed to have people in your.
Speaker 2: Room, presumably just walk with intent to the lift. Yes, but he's the kind of person that probably is on shift twenty four to seven and knows every single person in every single room. So I was remembered from earlier that there wasn't a breakfast menu, and he's taking his chance.
Speaker 1: I love that he's just scrambled around to try and find a breakfast menu so you can.
Speaker 2: Take out you have one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I can't stop thinking of Basil and like, you know, the game's up, but a game pie up there, and the one I love here is he's so funny when he's so sinister and he's like everything else in order you don't need any more cartannis.
Speaker 2: It's this big moment he's about to bust them.
Speaker 1: No, that was so funny, comedy genius.
Speaker 2: But the best line, No, the best line is the next one.
Speaker 1: What's the next one?
Speaker 2: When you can't get in to the bathroom because locked itself?
Speaker 1: But the skeleton.
Speaker 2: It's so stupid.
Speaker 1: It is it really is. Yes, So a couple of weeks ago we offended all our Italian listeners and now we're going to be offending all our German listeners. Work way around Europe for sorry, much like Hitler did.
Speaker 2: I kept that joke inside.
Speaker 1: I couldn't help it.
Speaker 2: Yes, he has the key of the skeleton, so he breaks into the in the bathroom and yeah, it's excited because there's a bath curtain up so she must be hiding there. Oh yeah, yeah, we have like a Scooby Doo style. We'll sneak around to a corner and.
Speaker 1: How he doesn't see her out of his proper vision, I don't know, or like the mirror which must be right there.
Speaker 2: Or the noise or whatever. Yea, even someone walking quietly if there are a couple of feet away from you going.
Speaker 1: To sense them. Yeah, yeah, but no, he.
Speaker 2: Has no spidy senses. Yeah, she seekstuff and he gets away with it.
Speaker 1: Who We get a nice bit there after. He goes with Iris and Felix just like joking together, joking about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nice sort of chemistry. Yeah, and it's like very much like a burgeoning thing. M h, it's very sweet.
Speaker 2: It is sweet. Yeah, Like if they were both the real people they claim to pretend to be, they probably actually would work quite well together exactly. Yeah, they're both quite similar, but she's got a bit more of a fun side that would make him more fun than yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I don't imagine them she's anything like Brenda.
Speaker 2: No, presumably Brenda's working NPR. She's probably quite outspoken and outgoing and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm very put together and yeah.
Speaker 2: Whereas Iris is much more timid than Yeah.
Speaker 1: And he asks her a bit about her personal life, and she uses that cringey phrase self partner, sorry but it is cringey.
Speaker 2: It's awful.
Speaker 1: Single is perfectly fine to say yes, yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And she just goes off and on and on about how she's happy. She's happy, she's happy. What we're talking about playing the role quite well, m I.
Speaker 1: Think it's around here. Sometimes he says to her, you're obviously someone who's never been in love, and she has this moment where there's this look on her face, and obviously you know. There are multiple twists as it goes along, But considering where it all ends up, I'm a bit confused as to what that's supposed to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whether that was meant to mean anything, Yeah, I guess there's plenty of things it could have meant that just didn't come into the story. But it makes her a more rounded character. Yeah, to imply things, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean this person that she really is that we find out the end, she presumably has a life as well, so.
Speaker 2: Relevant to Yeah, exactly. I know we always say about twists have to work both ways, but there's bits like this where you can throw in stuff that makes you question what's going on that when the reveal happens, don't counteract it, but they don't add to it either way. Like it still works. It's just there's something we don't know about this character still. Yeah, Yeah, that's fine. There's some interesting camera angles I don't know how can you. I don't know anything about cameras, But you had Felix on the bed and Iris up at the window, and both of them weren't fully in focus, oh right, even though one of them shouldn't have been. Yeah, and I didn't know if it was green screen or whether you can have like is a split focus lens of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I've heard about that. I think there is a way of doing it, but it's quite unnatural, I think you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it felt weird when I noticed it. Yeah, she's got a bit of a blur around the edge of her and the rooms are all out of focus. But both of those two are in focus, even though there are different distances. Yeah, and I couldn't stop noticing it once i'd seen it.
Speaker 1: To be fair, I think if if you're having that one shot with her in the foreground him in the background and they're talking to each other and be a bit distracting, to sort of keep keep changing focus.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, she goes back to lip reading what's going on and find out Brenda's making a phone call to Max. This is a great scene. It's such a clever way to do what's someone on the other end of the phone saying.
Speaker 1: It's very clever. Yeah, I'm very I was very impressed by that.
Speaker 2: So clever, you wouldn't think there's more ways of doing that than has been done.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I feel like it's not quite realistic. No, in that she would need surely a second or two to delay. Yeah, but yeah, we'll overlook that. Yeah, yeah, it's very clever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so good. So yeah, you get Iris essentially speaking for Brenda and filling in her side of the conversation almost perfectly. Great. How Felix will just turn around every now and then and go no, it was this like and correct.
Speaker 1: Her as if that matters.
Speaker 2: Now, I had interesting thought here. So Iris obviously isn't really Iris, and she's playing a part here. So presumably unless one of not Iris's random skills is lip reading, as she actually isn't a lip reader. So I'm wondering whether the room is bugged and she's pretending to be lip reading.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that would make sense because yeah, I hadn't thought of that, But yet, how can she possibly do that unless she does have that skill?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she's presumably then having to fake slip ups because one of my criticisms not Christians, but vague criticisms was going to be some of these slip ups wouldn't really work, Like Max and my ex are to one's one syllable ones too the mouth. You'd be able to tell the difference, surely if she's that good.
Speaker 1: I suppose. But then people don't always speak clearly true, people slur stuff together.
Speaker 2: But some of these, some of these words don't feel like they should have been missed. Of all the words she gets wrong, yeah, it's not quite. It's it's words that sound similar rather than the mouth is similar for and I'm like, that's a bit wrong. But then I'm thinking if she's faking making mistakes, Yeah, she would do it on that way round. Yeah, probably if she's thinking on the fly. H just the odd one here and there to make it believable.
Speaker 1: M believable to everyone except you. Well, she can't pull thell over your eyes.
Speaker 2: I'd be filled in the moment. Yeah, hypedanticism wouldn't allow it in really, Yeah, when I watched like three times in a row. But yeah, within the within this chat, we find out that they're not actually together anymore. They've broken up. It's been I think three months. Did they say, and yeah, she's getting a restraining order against poor or Felix.
Speaker 1: I'm not surprised. Yeah, you can't accept it, No, that it's over.
Speaker 2: They've been together eight years. I think they've got a three year old son, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. Yeah, it's tricky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not that I'm condoning what he's doing, but no, you can understand why it's hitting him hard. And he does deserve a penis.
Speaker 1: He does, don't we all. Isn't there a film where that's a repeated joke? I'm sure I remember what she's where someone with a French accent or something is like, you have to have a penis in this world. If you don't have a penis, you have nothing.
Speaker 2: I can't remember what it's from. It's from. Yeah, and we find out that Felix has been on dad Chat talking to other sad men. Yes, and it's been recommended iris's services to find out what's really going on. That chat sounds so believable.
Speaker 1: Oh it does. Yeah, and it would be sad men instead of competitive women.
Speaker 2: Women like Mum's Net.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen what's it called the doll Men's Club online? And they all just post random stupid things that you wouldn't notice. But it's just like things that are interesting to dull people.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And they'll always take a photo of a thing and they always put a banana with it against it for reference, Okay, for like scale. It is just this running joke that there's always a banana for reference, okay, for like scale of how big a thing is, even if it's utterly irrelevant to the thing that they're doing. And it'd be like Dave thirty two and a half, I highly recommend. They're very funny sounds it. I think I'll send you some, Okay, But.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like how the episode sort of leading you in this direction of thinking that it's a romance between them, yeah, and that they're you know, they're two potentially sad people that have sort of found each other. Yeah, and they have this lovely connection. Do It's a shame that it gets torn away from you. So yeah, So they're about to kiss when they're interrupted by Mueller again.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's excited the prospect of a fourth star if he gets to try to press and all the way.
Speaker 1: I can't believe that. I can't believe they've even got three.
Speaker 2: But then size of the rooms will count for lots. I'm guessing, well, I guess yeah. Maybe he's in the undeveloped wing, maybe the maybe that's just the old bit that looks out of the street. Maybe the side looks out of the sea or something nice. I don't know. The hell Yeah?
Speaker 1: But also like where they're in, like West London, aren't they like presumably quite judging by the house across the road is quite an upmarket area, those.
Speaker 2: Ones with those giant pillars with the numbers written on, Yeah, aren't they? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then yeah, so right across the road is this horrible CD run down hotels a bit strange.
Speaker 2: It probably was like a beautiful hotel in like the nineteen twenties m hm, or the Victorian times, and now it's just gotten slowly but surely dropped in quality to the point where it's like they've not redecorated since forty three.
Speaker 1: What's your opinion on irregardless?
Speaker 2: Well? I looked it up. But it's a real word, but it doesn't feel like it should be.
Speaker 1: It's a real this is right, okay, Oh, here we go.
Speaker 2: It's more pedantry.
Speaker 1: It's a real word in as much as anything is a word. If people use it, which is literally where words come from at the end of the day. Really well, yeah, but you know, I struggle with this because all my life I've grown up wanting to be correct about things. Shot horror, I know. And you know, as I've grown older, I've come to understand that, you know, there isn't necessarily a correct way of things, and that so much of language, especially is just consensus, isn't it. It's just that's how language develops and evolves. This is a massive tangent. So I get that there's flexibility and that if people start using a word, it becomes a word. But it's just clunky, isn't it. It's just it's got the two negative, yeah, negative prefix and suffix, and it's just.
Speaker 2: What would Susie Dent say if you're listening.
Speaker 1: Susi Dent right, Well, no, I'll tell you what she says, because okay, what I was saying about, you know, wanting things to be the right way, and like, there's there's prescriptive ways of looking at language versus descriptive, and Susan Dentz always said, as a lexicographer and like a dictionary writer and stuff, what you do is is descriptive you look at how words are being used by people and you record it. Yeah, it's not a question of this is correct. This is the manual for how to speak English, So it's more it's more observational.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's that weird gray bit in between it being wrong in one context and it being used wrongly enough that it now becomes right. Exactly when it stops being wrong and it starts being right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the letter H. Lots of people say H and other people say H. And I've always grown up saying H and believe that to be correct, right, And it always irritates me when people say H H. I know I've heard you say it. I've been like, okay, but it sounds like it should be the other way around for north south, Like it's almost dropping the But according to Susi dain I used to listen to her podcast, she used to do words. According to her, H used to be correct. I think I can't remember now, but it basically it comes in cycles. So basically, at one time H was correct, and then H became correct, and now people are starting to say H again and so that's becoming more. Yeah, basically, it's just however people are using the words at the time. That was a massive tangent. But it's something I think about a lot.
Speaker 2: But there's certain things you can say are wrong. But at what point, like how many times does someone have to say specifically before pacifically just becomes the word instead of specifically?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, because when there's a clear sort of root to it and someone's clearly using the wrong word, that's clearly wrong.
Speaker 2: But if enough people say it clearly wrong, does it not just become no?
Speaker 1: But no, but that will happen over if that happens, because many words that we use today, that are considered standard words today, only exist because of people getting them wrong hundreds of years ago. Yeah, you know. And the reason why certain words are spelt so weirdly is because people making mistakes hundreds of years ago. So you just have to accept that. Yeah, that's how we roll.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed Dictionary Corner. That was fun.
Speaker 1: I know, I could post about that. I love words and things like that, and I.
Speaker 2: Find it fasten that genuinely find it fascinating. Yeah, where were we? What was going on?
Speaker 1: Well, Iris is hiding in the bathroom. Oh yes, she goes to the loo, and that gives Felix time to rather.
Speaker 2: Cheekily have a rummage.
Speaker 1: Okay, so her phone buzzes and he glances at ith, which I suppose is potentially just something you might naturally. Yeah, but then to actually get it out, look at it, and then go through her bag.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, Well we proved that he doesn't really care about invading people's privacy, clearly not. Yeah, do we reckon that phone buzz was intentional, like planted while she was away to make him go through her stuff. I don't know how much of this plan is intentional, yeah, and how much is just a happy accident, Yeah, that she just runs with.
Speaker 1: It's a bit like you know, ones like misdirection and stuff where it's like things seemed to go a certain way and it's quite lucky. I think this is a case where she had an overall plan and then within that it was just you know, there were different options and yeah, as long as you get to the right place at the end, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: The whole episode could have gone twenty different ways, ends up at the same place at the end. Yeah. So he goes through her bag, finds a USB drive of surveillance footage of him outside. Yes, strange which is yeah, pretty odd, but your hands all this When she comes back, then.
Speaker 1: He starts trying to subtly sort of question her.
Speaker 2: Little things, like she didn't know the name of the manager, but she shouldn't have known, but did reference him by name. I don't know if I would have believed when she said, oh, you must have said it. I don't know if I would ever be confident enough in myself to say no, I didn't. Well, yeah, would you even remember that you had? Could so readily have forgotten.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't yeh. But that's such a cliche, isn't it When someone says, how did you know such and such and then they say, oh, you must have mentioned it? Such a cliche h. But yeah, yeah. So he starts more directly questioning her, confronting her about this footage.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She seems to get flustered, and she rather importantly opens the window.
Speaker 2: M hm and wants to make a drink.
Speaker 1: Yes. So she claims that she was hired to transcribe footage of Felix to make sure that he wasn't a threat to this Dmitri Yes, because of his connection.
Speaker 2: So she was initially employed by the Rivals as far as Felix is concerned. Dmitrian co Do we believe that because, like I said about the phone call, is it intentional that the phone call directed him to the handbag, directed him to the USB drive, to the footage that she could then say that was why it was and get him on side and whatever. Or is that just footage that they've been surveiling him with and he's just happened to find it.
Speaker 1: Well, part of me feels like it must be deliberate, because if she was really that clever, she wouldn't just leave it lying around in her bag. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it doesn't really add anything to her plot, does it. No.
Speaker 1: I also quite like the idea of when he starts asking her that she has to do a lot of very quick thinking and she's able to come up with this story. Yeah, that's quite cool.
Speaker 2: She's very on it. Yeah, but with what she's planning, I suppose this has been in the pipeline for a while. She's yeah, coin with all the various permutation Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But so she basically implies that through the process of studying him and everything, she's kind of fall in love with the idea of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like he kind of immediately goes along with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean she tries to leave, but yeah, he stops her.
Speaker 2: She probably like bluffs him into this like that she's about to go like, well are you going to stop me? Without saying it's such make him think it's his idea that she's staying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very clever. Yeah, they do a lot of this manipulation stuff in this show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's so subtly done but works so well.
Speaker 1: It's genius to make a program that you get so much from it on a rewatch, Yes, because it's just, you know, a whole extra layer of enjoyment, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do work so well on the second watch, pretty much all of them. Yeah, because there's so much more to spot when you really know what's going on. How many people will rewatch? And I don't know the casual viewers, but yeah, for the fans it's it's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, they I've written down begin relations Grandma and they have the wonderful falling through the gap between the twin Beths is.
Speaker 2: So good, it's so believable. I almost it's not intentionally, it was just an outtake that just happened, and they kept in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, humor and laughter is such a great bonding thing, and it makes it so tragic how it goes in about two minutes time, you know, for him, like he's got this, he thinks he's found this lovely connection.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So whoops, she spills some water. It's not water, is it.
Speaker 2: No, whatever drink she's been making goes all over the floor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and oh, I forgot to mention earlier. Right at the beginning, when he opens the drawer in the bedside table, Yes, Chekhov's hair dryer.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's vaguely shaped like a gun at camps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she asked him to get that.
Speaker 2: Get the hair dry We're just going to stand over this and try and dry out an entire glass worth of stuff out of the carpet. Apparently seems a bit of a stretch, but yeah, we'll let her off with it. And yeah, so she desperately wants him to open the curtains because she can't see what's going on in the corner.
Speaker 1: It's also orchestrated.
Speaker 2: She throws over the hairdryer to him to catch this, and he stands there chouting his wife's name, waving a hair dryer as you.
Speaker 1: Do, and Iris turns m she completely drops her character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and poor or Felix gets shot. So yeah, the whole the whole episode has been orchestrated by not Iris as a staged assassination attempt, well not attempt, just outright assassination where Felix will be the fall guy for it and he has no idea at any given point in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, we were just saying about you know, she'll she'll have so many different options and stuff. But it is very lucky how she manages to get in to the window with the hair dryer at the exact right moment.
Speaker 2: Another good thing. And to rewatch you do notice her checking her watch a lot. Yeah, she's always looking at what time it is. And then they're all coordinated with the man next door that's actually shot him. Yeah, and we'll clean up, we'll get rid of the glass that she's drank out of. We've conveniently got him some alcol in his system and some alcohol tips around to make him look like he was suspicious. He's got a notepad of what they've been saying. He's got binoculars. Yeah, look good, done, look good for Felix.
Speaker 1: No, they've done it expertly.
Speaker 2: And then we find out that, yeah, it's the government in government has done all of this as well. It's come right from the government. It's not just someone doesn't like him and promised. Muller's just worried about more bodily fluids all over his carpet. Yes, I love the ending of this. I think it's so it's so good and how quickly it changes. Yeah, and you realize everything just drops away in a matter of seconds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the last.
Speaker 2: Sort of minute and a half is an entirely different episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just feel so sorry for Felix.
Speaker 2: He is a creep, though, We've got to remember, Yeah, he is a creep, but to die and yeah, I mean he has a creep, but it's he he's a creep.
Speaker 1: He is a creep, but he it feels like he has a chance of redemption or a chance of something better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah he's a creep, but he's only because he's like he's struggling with Shark and all of that kind of thing of going through this breakup. But that he wasn't.
Speaker 1: Little Dylan loses his dad Mmm.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she never thought of that. Yeah, and I don't imagine that's going to do anything positive for Brenda's career.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, because.
Speaker 2: Presumer she's going to get questioned and think that she was part of the plan as well, because she hasn't been working with him long, so she'll be a prime suspect for orchestrating this. The drama drama, drama drama.
Speaker 1: So when we see quote unquoite Iris at the end, Yes, she's what is she some sort of aid I assume so politician?
Speaker 2: A generic government person. Yeah, really sure what they do, person in a suit that makes things happen.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's really weird seeing her as her real self when you've seen her as Iris this whole time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, timid, little little field.
Speaker 1: Mouse, just like she had she had a career as an actress that she could have followed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she plays it well. Yeah. I think if it weren't for the end of this episode, like and the twist, I think really sells this for me because it makes all of the the stuff that I'm not as interested in worthwhile. Yeah, that makes sense, all of the sort of character stuff I don't This is not said out like good characters, obviously, but where it's just about people chatting and stuff. I don't find that as interesting, but when it's it's so necessary for the twist. Hm, I can forgive it a lot more here.
Speaker 1: What are you going to give it? Out of nine?
Speaker 2: Oh? This is tough. I really don't know, as I say, if it weren't for the last minute and a half. But can I really give it a high score just for that bit? It's not what I particularly rewatch much. I'm really torn.
Speaker 1: Should I say what I want to give it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You go for.
Speaker 1: I think I'm going to give it a five, right, which might seem low.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I do think it's good, but yeah, it's just it's just a feeling. It's just that's where I want to put it. I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm going to six. Okay, Yeah, I really enjoy it. I think it's very clever, but yeah, it's just not as rewatchable in the same way for me.
Speaker 1: Fair enough? Right?
Speaker 2: Oh, ask me here we go go. Did you spot the hair?
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure I did. I'm pretty sure I did. It was very small, it was, and it was very hard to make out, but I think I got it. Go for it in the window of the opposite house.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, is.
Speaker 1: It not right near the beginning?
Speaker 2: So proud of you? No, Oh my god, I mean less, there's more than one.
Speaker 1: I swear there's something, you know, right at the beginning when he looks out's on his own, and there's like he looks at an upstairs window and then he goes down in the upstairs window at bottom, it looks like there's there's two ears.
Speaker 2: I mean, there might be something else, but it's I mean, that's not the one that I had.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I was so excited. Go on, where was it?
Speaker 2: Really? I'm sorry. It's also a very small one. It's not a physical hair this week?
Speaker 1: Was it in the picture on the wall?
Speaker 2: No? Not quite.
Speaker 1: I'll stop guessing. Just tell me.
Speaker 2: So. When Muller comes in and does the whole bathroom wardrobe situation and he checks on the hair products, it's a hair product. It's the logo on the bottle of shampoo.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, that's very good. I need to go back and look at that. And I also need to go back and freeze frame that window. Yeah, and see what I was thinking, because I'm sure I saw it and I thought.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh, I'm so sorry. I was so exciting the way you were describing it, I was like, yes, it is small, it's hard to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing. Because it was right near the beginning, I thought, there, I've got it. So I just switched off and didn't even think about it. But no, with it being hair products, that's that's very clever.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, boo, I was going to say on the hair products. But it reminds me of when I was on my holiday on the cruise that we had our cabin steward guy every day at least once, maybe twice a day, came in and refilled our bottle of hand soap. It never got more than about five percent down, but every single time you'd come in and top it up, we're expecting that one day it's going to be overflowing. The next day the sinkful, next the entire bathroom, open the door and it'd be like the shining, just like everywhere.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: It was very very insistent. I'm constantly filling up our soap.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: See how he wasn't called Eric as far as I can remember.
Speaker 1: What about the breakfast menu? Yeah, oh dear, Yeah, you definitely win on the hairs.
Speaker 2: There's a couple I knew because that one was distinct, and I remembered it from the podcast, right, same with last week's and the one with a little mask on. Oh yes, yeah, I don't think I remember next week's all the week after, and both of those could be absolutely anywhere, so it's more of an even playing field next week. Okay, speaking of hairs, see if you can suppot us from this week, we will tell you where it was next.
Speaker 1: We will very quick one this week. But we've got a really cool comment on our Instagram which I just wanted to share because you remember a few weeks ago I shared a message we got from a listener in Turkey. Oh yeah, this one comes from a listener in Spain. It's from Inma if I'm pronouncing that right, But they say, I really love your podcast. It helps me improve my listening skills a lot. Huge inside Number nine fan here in Spain. Thanks for the great content.
Speaker 2: Ah, thank you.
Speaker 1: I just thought that was that was very cool.
Speaker 2: That's really sweet.
Speaker 1: Yes, it sounds like you're, you know, learning English or improving English. So I don't know if that means you're going to end up speaking with a half Yorkshire accent and a half Surrey accent.
Speaker 2: Team North Team south, which accent will be trying.
Speaker 1: To go yeah, yea and more importantly, will you be saying h.
Speaker 2: Or h oh? Thank you for that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you for that?
Speaker 2: The country off the list. We're getting several. This is nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gaining them and then we're losing them by offending them.
Speaker 2: So well yeah, yes, I can't think of any Spanish characters in the series coming up that we're we'll be discussing so in safe.
Speaker 1: Good but yeah, so we're back next time with hurry up and wait.
Speaker 2: Indeed you will have to hurry up and wait for that.
Speaker 1: But until then it's time to close the door on number nine.
Speaker 2: But you never really leave, do you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to get in touch, you.
Speaker 1: Can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts.