Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and kost E HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 1: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Will good morning. This is your wake up call for Monday, March thirty first. Okay, another month down gone, God, it's almost Christmas, guys. And look who's back Neil Neil Savedra heart attack. Yes, I did you know what Will is? He scares easily and comes in right before the end of the show usually and because she turns on electronics and stuff that I don't know how to do, and it scares Will almost every day. It's hysterical.
Speaker 4: Look, thank you Adams driver KFI and is paid.
Speaker 1: Hi don't need paid.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, Nil Savedra, Welcome back, Neil nails back from a trip to Italy. Fancy. Yeah, we're gonna hear lots about that coming up on the Bill Handle show because handles out for one more week. But we got we got half the guys back, so that's exciting.
Speaker 5: Yay.
Speaker 1: Here's something else exciting. The eaglets are getting their feathers you've been watching the Big Bear Eagle cam. We have our two babies, and they're growing fast. The biggest ones about the size of a chicken, of course, according to Sandy Steers, and they're zooming up during the day. If you go and check out the camera, like you know, fifty sixty seventy eighty thousand other people are doing the Big Bear Eagle camp, you can see they zoom in and you can see their little feathers. They're starting to sprout. I thought, that's gotta be that's gotta feel weird. How are an eagle? How long does it take for them to become an adult? Like when's adulthood? It's it's a ways off. But they're fully grown at like I have to go and look at my notes, but they're they're to their full size in about three months, I think. And they don't get their white heads for years. Oh yeah, yeah, okay. Also, I'm very proud of myself. I got a ring doorbell because my brother harassed me because I don't have a working doorbell. Actually, he gave me a ring doorbell for Christmas and I just finally put it up and so three months later, but I put it up and so now, like when I left the house this morning, the chimes went off on my phone, and I'm getting all these weird things. Oh there's a coyote in the neighborhood, like all these it's sort of like a neighborhood, oh like next door, like next door app, but it's ring and I'm like, I gotta go figure out how to turn those off because it's driving me crazy already. And it's only been twenty four hours. So porch pirates beware, Amy's armed exactly. Here's what's ahead on wake up Call. A pedestrian has been killed on the five Freeway in Anaheim. It happened early this morning north of Lincoln Avenue. C HP shut down all southbound lanes and the Euclid Street on Rampill's gonna get the latest done that in just a couple of minutes, So when we take our first look at traffic. Comedian Paul Rodriguez is doing court next month after he and a friend were arrested in Burbank for drug possession. The arrest happened Friday night during a traffic stop. Rodriguez told TMZ after he was released on Saturday that he was sleeping in the passenger seat and was slapped awake by what he said was a Caucasian officer on a power trip. He says he's considering filing a formal complaint. A three point two earthquake has rattled residents of Rancho Palace, Verde. Is a small quake hit at eight twenty seven last night. It was centered twenty two miles off the coast. The rumbling was felt from Santa Monica to Lamorada. Apparently President Trump is not happy with Russia's President Putin. Kfi's White House correspondent John Decker is going to join us to tell us what that could mean for US Russia relations and the possibility of a ceasefire with Russia and Ukraine. That's coming up at five twenty. Also, we may soon be able to start making omelets without breaking the bank again. ABC's Chim Ryan's going to tell us why. And it's a big day for the big cats and it all has to do with dirt. We're going to be talking with bet Beth Pratt with the National Wildlife Federation about the latest on the Wallace Annenberg Wildlife Crossing. I love that thing. I can't wait for it to opin. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A fast moving wildfire east of Fresno, known as the Silver Fires, forced evacuations in Inyo and Mono Counties.
Speaker 6: Flames broke out Sunday afternoon near Bishop, threatening homes and power lines as strong winds pushed the fire.
Speaker 1: North.
Speaker 6: Cal Fire says by early Sunday evening it had already burned over one thousand acres with zero containment. The National Weather Service says wind gusts up to thirty five miles per hour are fueling the flames. Strong winds and dry conditions are also hindering the firefight. From the air, Several aircraft had to be grounded due to extreme turbulence. Bushita de Gastino, KFI News.
Speaker 1: So Cal Edison customers are paying more for fire prevention than ever before the number of wildfires has increased at LA times.
Speaker 7: Report shows there were one hundred and seventy eight wildfires sparked by so Cal Edison equipment last year, up from one hundred and seven in twenty fifteen. Edison customers are paying more than three hundred dollars on their bill every year to support wildfire related costs totaling billions of dollars for prevention efforts get state. Utility officials say so cal Edison equipment continues to spark wildfires in its territory. Edison says it's spending the money on insulated wires, tree trimming. Weather station's an increased equipment inspection. Officials say the utility is shifting the cost of wildfires to customers, even when the fires are their mistake. Heather Brooker KFI News.
Speaker 1: And somebody in Anaheim has bought a Powerball lottery ticket worth more than five hundred million dollars. Kfi's Mark Mayfield said it was sold at a seven eleven on North Euclid Street.
Speaker 5: The story gets a bonus of one million dollars forth selling the winning ticket. Saturday mark the first time someone has won the Powerball Jackbot since January. The winning numbers were twenty one, seven, eleven, sixty one and fifty three.
Speaker 1: The powerball was two. Another person got five numbers but didn't match the power ball. They'll get almost two hundred eyousand dollars. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Peter Haralambu's Good morning, Peter.
Speaker 4: Good morning Amy, Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Always a pleasure to talk to you because you've got such great information for us. And this time the Trump administration's battle with US District Judge James Bosberg continues. What's the latest development on that.
Speaker 4: Yes, this fight is now heading all the way up to the Supreme Court. As of Friday, the Trump administration asked the highest Court to intervene in the matter. They want this High court to sure stay. Basically, it allowed the Trump administration to continue those deportations under the Alien Enemies Act.
Speaker 1: Okay, but the did the request to the Supreme Court come before or after the judge made his ruling, because he extended as restraining order or something.
Speaker 4: Right, that's right, So that came shortly before the judge actually decided to extend that order, So that order was set to actually expire on Friday. Temper restraining orders only typically lost for about two weeks, and it's been about two weeks since this battle begun, since James Boseberg issued that first order blocking those deportation flights. So he extended those as kind of a matter of a technicality. And at the same time, this fight continues on about whether or not whether or not those those deportation flights are lawful?
Speaker 1: Okay? And did the Supreme Court agree to hear arguments?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Supreme Court has set a briefing schedule. It's rather quick on the matter. We should be expecting some filings this week and they could decide as early as this week about whether or not this this this this unprecedented use of the Alien Enemies Act, which allows deportations with a little to no do process in so far as someone falls within this category of a member of this Venezuelan gang can be removed.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then with the restraining order extension in place, there is still another r coming. What was a court here on April eighth, which is a week from tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So this judge is also hearing whether or not to issue a preliminary injunction, which is kind of like a longer term version of that same order from earlier. In order to determine that this judge is hearing arguments from both sides, he wants to see new evidence. So over the weekend we actually saw filing from the ACLU and Democracy Forward Foundation, the two groups that brought this lawsuit, alleging that there were you know, majority of these people had really nothing to do with trend Aarragua. There were individualized stories where, you know, these people were mistaken because of their tattoos. Apparently one person who had a tattoo devoted to his mother apparently had that mixed up as a tattoo that associated him with trend Aragua. Some pretty terrifying and concerning stuff allegedly about what actually got these people mixed up in this and what got them sent to an El Salvador in prison despite having, according to their lawyers now affiliation with this gang.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we don't know if that's the case. That's what their lawyers are saying, that's right, okay, all right. And then so if the judges, if the if the High Court hears it and said, you know what, this judge can do this, then what happens next.
Speaker 4: At that point the matter is slightly settled for a while. The Trump administration doesn't really have that much of an option. And you know this is coming though, as the Trump administration is railing against the courts as a whole. In this application to the Supreme Court, they didn't just mention those birds order. They mentioned the fact that they've dealt with I believe over forty temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions across the country, blocking you know, every aspect really of their policies that they've enacted since Trump was inaugurated. In a way, yes, this this Supreme Court fight is important because the alien enemies act as a big deal and it's a big part of Trump's immigration agenda. But the way this case is being framed is more about of this unchecked power district judges that the Trump administration believes is unlawful.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, then I want to play the what if game because I always like doing that.
Speaker 8: So if the.
Speaker 1: Judge is ruling held, and of course we won't know until the Supreme Court decides it, could the judge then order the people being held in the President's El Salvador to be brought back to the US to get their due process.
Speaker 4: This is a great question, and I asked a bunch of legal experts and trying to figure out an answer. It's a bit tricky because on one hand, you know, these people are in Now Salvador in custody, and the United States doesn't have that much authority to bring them back. But it's not like Salvador is doing this out of the kindness of their heart. The United States is paying them six million dollars to house these people for a year. So with that in mind, some of the folks I've spoken to have suggested that because this is still a contractual relationship, because at the end of the day, the United States is still paying for these people to to be housed in this jail. The Unitey still has the power to bring them back to the United States. Of course, the Trump administration has argued these people are terrorists and the Starch has no authority to do this. But just yet another complicated thing here, because these people, if their lawyers are true, many of them have no association in reality with this group, and they're riding away in what is arguably one of the harshest prisons in the entire world.
Speaker 1: All right, well, we will be watching and as always, we appreciate all the information. Peter Haralambo's with ABC News investigative reporter. We appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Alle herey, all right, take care. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The number of people killed in the magnitude seven point seven earthquake that hit me and mar has topped seventeen hundred as more bodies are being pulled from the rubble. The earthquake on Friday was centered near the country's second largest city. It also hit Thailand. Tord ABC's Britt Cline says crews in Bangkok have been desperately so through what's left of a collapsed skyscraper.
Speaker 9: There's a hive of activity here at the site where a thirty four story building which was still under construction, was reduced to rubble in less than five seconds.
Speaker 1: She says. The rubble is about seven stories high. President Trump says he won't be firing anyone over administration officials discussing sensitive military attack plans in a group chat on the messaging app Signal. That chat inadvertently included a journalist. Former chair of the House Intelligence Committee, Ohio Republican Congressman Mike Turner says signals safety is questionable.
Speaker 2: People when they get into that platform have an assumption of privacy that it just does not provide.
Speaker 1: A reporter with The Atlantic was included in the group chat that covered US military strikes against Houthi rebels in Yemen. The workforce at the Department of Health and Human Services is about to be slashed by twenty five percent. Dean of the Brown University School of Public Health, doctor Ashishchah, who served as White House COVID nineteen response coordinator and the Biden administration, says he's worried about that.
Speaker 4: You're going to get rid of.
Speaker 1: People who do inspections of nursing homes to make sure nursing homes are safe. They're going to get rid of people who go into factories to make sure our drug supply is safe. He says he's not worried so much about the cuts themselves, but where the cuts are going to be. President Trump says he is not joking when he talks about serving a third term as president. He told NBC News there are ways to make it happen, but he says there's a long way to go, and it is very early in his administration. The Constitution's twenty second Amendment limits presidents to two terms in office. Hundreds of people have gathered at Fair Oaksburger to send the message Alta Dina not for sale. Residents say they've been getting calls from their mortgage companies asking them to sell their property following the eat and fire. A fire that broke out yesterday afternoon just north of Bishop has burned a thousand acres. Homes and power lines are threatened. Evacuation orders are in place in parts of Ino and Mono Counties. Fighting the fire has been made more challenging because of twenty five to thirty five miles per hour winds and low humidity. Six Flags Magic Mountain has permanently closed Superman. The roller coaster, which was once the tallest and fastest in the world, has been closed since September. The in park president Jeff Harris says they decided that the Superman Escape from Krypton's Shuttle coaster, which opened in nineteen ninety seven, had reached the end of its life cycle and they're not going to reopen it. Let's say good morning now to kfi's White House correspondent John Dagger.
Speaker 6: John.
Speaker 1: President Trump had said several times that he has a good relationship with Russia's President Putin, but that relationship may have hit a snag.
Speaker 8: What happened, well, the reason is is because, as the President said just last week, Russia is dragging its feet. Those are his own words. Related to a thirty day ceasefire. That's something Amy that Ukraine has already agreed to. Russia has not. In fact, Russia continues attacking civilian areas in Ukraine with missile strikes, with drone strikes, and the President now threatening to do to Russia what he's already done to Venezuela, the President saying any country that purchases oil from Venezuela will be hit with twenty five percent tariffs. The President saying essentially that if Russia keeps it up and does not agree to this thirty day seasefire, he will oppose twenty five percent tariffs on any country that continues purchasing oil from Russia.
Speaker 1: Ooh, that could get very, very expensive. And then aside from tariffs, has Trump pinted at other sanctions that might become against Russia.
Speaker 8: Well, what Russian President Putin Amy said through his national security team over a month ago in Saudi is that we won't even discuss the idea of peace in Ukraine until the US removes all of the economic and banking sanctions that have been placed upon Russia. That is going to be a non starter. The US it says, no, they will remain in place until you agree to a thirty day ceasefire. So there's a standoff in terms of that. In the meantime, President Putin criticizing Vladimir Zelensky over the weekend, That too drew the ire of President Trump realizing it's going to be so difficult to reach an agreement if Putin continues to attack Zolensky in terms of the rhetoric that he's putting out there in various interviews.
Speaker 1: That's interesting, even though you know, Trump has also kind of gotten into it with Zolenski and said some things I agree about that, So it's interesting that it's kind of coming from both sides, but now Trump's kind of coming to Zelensky's defense, it sounds like.
Speaker 8: So, yeah, it is interesting because, as you point out, Trump has also said some unflattering things about Zelensky over the course of the past month and a half, even calling him a dictator and suggesting that it was Ukraine that was the country that started the war three years ago, when of course, it was Russia's invasion of Ukraine's sovereign territory in February of twenty twenty two that started off this war.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so John can you tell, like, who holds the cards in this because you said, basically, now Trump and Putin are sort of at an impasse, and we know that they're both pretty strong, pretty stubborn. Does anyone hold the advantage here?
Speaker 8: Well, it's a very good question. You know, the President believes that the US has the upper hand.
Speaker 4: You know, he uses this term.
Speaker 8: Who holds the cards. He's made it clear that the US holds all the cards as it relates to Ukraine. I don't think you can necessarily say the same thing holding all the cards as it relates to Russia. Russia continues its attacks on Ukraine. Russia continues to get help in terms of military assistance from China. It's got troops, support, assistance coming from North Korea. So the war continues, no end in sight. The President has expressed optimism since he's been sworn in amy about bringing about an aimed end to this war. But I think that realism is now setting in for President Trump.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, kafi's White House correspondent John Decker, thanks so much for the information. As always, Thanks Amy, All right, talk soon. Cal Trend's workers have discovered a woman's body in LA's Mid City area. They made the discovery yesterday morning near the ten freeway at Librea. Neither the cause of death or details regarding how the body ended up there, we're clear a person's been killed in a collision involving an LA City fire truck in Pacoima.
Speaker 5: The collision happened shortly before eleven o'clock Sunday morning at the intersection of sand for New into a road in Tara Bella Street. Authority say a car pulled out in front of a fire engine that was responding to an emergency call with its lights and sirens.
Speaker 1: On kfi's Mark Mayfield says the driver of the car was killed. No one else was in that car. Two firefighters were treated at the hospital. A man shot by an LA Sheriff's deputy in West Hollywood is recovering an LA County Sheriff's deputy rather. The shooting happened late Saturday afternoon during what authorities are calling a physical altercation between the man and a deputy. The guy allegedly resisted when he was detained. He was taken to the hospital in stable condition. No deputies were hurt. As if there weren't enough issues with eggs, more than two hundred thousand pounds of liquid egg products are being recalled because they may be contaminated with cleaning solution. The USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service says the egg products were produced by Cargill Kitchen Solutions and distributed to several states, including California. Thousands of people have turned out in Pacoima, where the annual Caesar Chavez mar March for justice. The two mile march yesterday was preceded by a rally highlighting what supporters call the invaluable contributions of immigrants. Caesar Chavez would have been ninety eight today. President Obama declared this day a holiday in twenty fourteen. California is one of a handful of states that observes it. Kindergarteners in California are ahead of the curve when it comes to vaccinations.
Speaker 6: The state's new report shows over ninety five percent of students are up to date on their measles, mumps, and rubella shots, well above the national average and a rate California has maintained for nearly a decade. Health officials are urging families to stay current, especially with the recent measles outbreaks reported in Texas, New Mexico. And Oklahoma Brigida de Agastino KAFI News.
Speaker 1: Guess what tonight is what It's time for the Dodgers to play baseball again. And if you're going to the game, it's World Champion Hoodie Giveaway Day. I'm bummed that I'm missing that one. But you can listen to the action on AM five to seventy LA Sports Live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast booth, and you can stream the game in HD on the iHeart Radio app Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports Go. Boys in Blue protesters in Pasadena have joined protests around the US to demonstrate against Tesla's CEO, Elon Musk. Crowds gathered outside the Tesla dealership Saturday to criticize cuts made by the Department of Government Efficiency or DOGE, which is overseen by Musk. Protesters are urging people to boycott Tesla, sell their cars, and dump their stock. Attorney General Pam Bondi has launched an investigation into whether UCLA and UC Irvine used DEI initiatives and in selecting students. The Department of Justice, as Stanford and UC Berkeley are also being investigated. The Trump administration has banned the use of DEI policies nationwide. Construction crews will start placing the first layers of dirt over the surface of the Wallace Annenberg Wildlife Crossing in Agora Hills today. It will eventually provide safe passage for wildlife over the one on one freeway and will be the largest bridge of its kind in the world. We're going to find out more with the National Wildlife Federation's Beth Pratt in just a couple of minutes. Find out as they enter their next phase. Very exciting stuff. Handle on the news coming up at six oh five. Handles still on vacation. But we have, Neil, sayed Savader. I forgot how to say your name. Neil, you were gone for like two weeks. Neil Savader is filling in. We've got the death toll going up in me and mar from that seven point seven earthquake. Just so scary. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. So, Jim, are we going to be able to start afford to make omelets again?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Oh, I thought we were, well.
Speaker 10: Maybe at some point. Retail egg prices are still pretty high, but wholesale prices have been coming down. Amy, that's good news. They're down at three dollars for the first time in several months of dramatic decline in just the last few weeks in the wholesale price. But the retail prices tend to lag behind. So you might still be paying four dollars more, four to fifty, even five dollars in some places. And it's a very localized thing. One grocery store in one city might have eggs for three fifty a dozen. I know, I'm not here, you're in Texas. Yeah, that are that low. In others than may have them for six fifty or seven dozen, you know, seven dollars. It all depends really on one thing, on proximity to the egg production facility. That has a lot to do with it. The general inflation, right, I know in California is higher than it is in Kansas, and so Kansas eggs are probably cheaper than California. But yeah, to suffice it to say that doll around the country, prices have become to come started to come back down somewhat.
Speaker 1: Well, that's at least a good mundication. So you said that wholesale prices are at like three dollars, So how high did the wholesale prices go.
Speaker 10: Do we know eight dollars fifteen cents for wholesale. Yes, that's sixty three percent higher than it is right now. And that was February twenty first. So just in that little over a month, you saw the prices drop back down for a lot of reasons. Now, you know, you had the avian flu, which took out millions, tens of millions of birds, and the US flock right the laying hens, the poultry farms, all the rest of it. They had to call out millions and millions of birds because of individual cases of avian flu. Well, bird flu has subsided quite dramatically. You also have a lot more imports coming into the United States from elsewhere, you know where. We're getting a lot of our eggs right now. No, South Korea.
Speaker 1: It seems like an awful long way to send eggs.
Speaker 10: Let's just open a refrigeration on the plane, doesn't Okay, Let's make this a really soft land and we've got a cargo of eggs back there. So yeah, South Korea. We're getting a lot of imported eggs from South Korea. The Trump administration has been negotiating with other countries to try to bring in eggs to offset what we're seeing with these dramatic increases. So yeah, those things are helping out egg imports, the decline an avian flu, and you know, of course this all comes right before passover in East or Amy, and that means that demand will be going up again and that could pull us up.
Speaker 1: That could raise prices again if they do start coming down. So I have a question for you about when egg prices do start coming down, Like you said that the wholesale prices are getting down there, but then the retail is going to lag. What about like the increases or the search charges for restaurants are Is there any indication that they're going to remove those searcharges or are they just going to leave them now? I mean it's there now, why pull them off?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I think that may be the mentality. You know, once you impose something like that, people get used to it. Customers see those prices, they're like, all right, well we'll just keep paying it. And you know, you saw restaurant prices rise dramatically during the pandemic. Right the pandemic has gone, have egg prices or restaurant price has gone down. No, they're still quite high and I think it's it's that supply and demand again. If people are willing to pay it, if they're willing to pay that inflated price for eggs or for restaurant food or for anything, then the proprietors are inclined to just keep those prices elevated.
Speaker 1: All right. ABC's Jim Ryan. Yeah, thanks for I was going to try to do a quick, little fun egg thing like you made this very exciting today. Oh no, no, no, no, no, yeah, but I kind of came up short. So it's Monday. It's Monday. Yeah, Jim Ryan, thank you so much. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 4: See.
Speaker 1: All right, it's time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donah morning.
Speaker 3: Courtney, good morning, Happy Monday, Happy Monday.
Speaker 1: So we were talking with Jim about how eggs are not really affordable, but we're going to go more big ticket. Let's talk about houses.
Speaker 3: Well, this has been the most difficult housing market in decades, and right now you have to have a six figure income buy to pull home in the majority of the country. That's unbelievable when you think how expansive the country is and all of the different income levels throughout the different country throughout the different states. According to bank Rate, home buyers need to have a household income up close to one hundred and seventeen thousand dollars to buy an average house. Keep this in mind, that's a fifty percent increase from twenty twenty fifty percent. So in California, of course, you need to have a lot more two hundred and thirteen thousand dollars, and when it comes to acquiring the most income, it ranks third in the nation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, well that's a fun way to start our Monday, isn't it. Let's let's move on.
Speaker 3: I know, well, if you want cheaper, you could go to West Virginia for that one. But another thing to keep in mind is five years ago, folks in just six states in DC needed a six figure income to afford a house. Now that's expanded to thirty states.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I wouldn't imagine that those prices are going to take it anytime soon. It's amazing that the house prices still keep going up, even though, like you know, the house sales are down and the interest rates are up and stuff, but the price is just keep going up. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Well, a lot of people don't and can't sit on the sidelines anymore. They've sat for a while in rentals, or their families are growing. They need more space. They can't just sit here and wait anymore. So that's why we're seeing more people. Early indication for the spring selling season is that a lot more people are out there taking tours, which they haven't done in a very long time. People are saying, all right, well, it is expensive, but what can we do about it? We just got to keep moving on with our lives.
Speaker 1: Okay. Sounds like maybe there might be a couple people who are moving on, and that might be the film studio heads at Warner Brothers Discovery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they may be on their way out. Sources are telling us here at Bloomberg that the media giant has been talking with potential successors to Mike de Luca and Pam Abdy. Warner Brothers has continued to struggle. They released a bunch of different pictures, including the Joker sequel and Mickey seventeen that have disappointed at the box office. A Minecraft movie that opens up this week. My son is very excited. If that's not had, and this can potentially deliver the company a much needed hint. However, Warner Brothers, they came out and they said any imminent change they did put in imminent change at the studio is not true.
Speaker 1: Okay. And speaking of disappointing things, that might be another disappointing day on the markets.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, another day, another day in the red for the markets, mainly because investors have been freaking out over President Trump's plan for tariffs coming on Wednesday, these new tariffs, so the risk that these tariffs are going to hurt the economy that has driven the S and P five hundred to a more than five percent drop in the first quarter. You have to remember this is the end of first quarter trading. It's unbelievable what has happened. How the trajectory of the markets have changed. So DAL futures right now they're down about two hundred and fifty points. When you look at SMP futures, they're going to take a pretty big hit at the open. It's expected to be down about one percent and keep them on. Stocks cut slammed on Friday, the S and P five hundred sel two percent, so this would build on the losses that we saw on Friday.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then Liberation Day is Wednesday, so it'll be an interesting ride on Wednesday as well. All right, getting in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe. Thank you so much, Courtney. We'll talk to you again tomorrow same time.
Speaker 3: Enjoy your day, all right, you too.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom of pedestrian's been hit and killed by two vehicles on the five Freeway in Anaheim. HP says the person was hit by a white truck in the middle lanes of the southbound Five just after two am. HP says the pedestrian was also hit by a black Honda Civic. The freeway has been shut down during the investigation. LGBTQ organizations in SoCal are upset over potential cuts to HIV and AIDS prevention programs.
Speaker 7: Leaders of the LGBT Center in LA and DApp Health in the Coachella Valley say a cut in the CDC's HIV prevention programs could endanger many lives and drive up cost to taxpayers if the number of AIDS cases increases. Last week, the National Institutes of Health eliminated funding for dozens of HIV related research grants. Officials say the spread of the disease is down twelve percent nationally thanks to prevention efforts. The center in LA provides outreach testing and HIV preventative medications. Officials there say they've been in limbo about what become of their four hundred and fifty thousand dollars CDC grant to support their work. Heather Brooker KFI News.
Speaker 1: A man from Riverside County is expected to plead guilty in LA to federal charges of running illegal cock fights. Prosecutors say the fights were held at a home in San Bernardino last year and included seating, a taco bar and drinks. They say bird owners paid one thousand dollars to register roosters expected to fight to the death while spectators gambled. People watching the fights also had to pay twenty bucks to park off site and forty dollars dollars to get in the door. Someone who bought a powerball ticket in Anaheim is holding a five hundred and fifteen million dollar ticket. It was purchased at the seven eleven on Euclid Street. The ticket holder will have the option of getting the full jackpot in thirty installments or the lump SUMB payment of nearly two hundred forty four million dollars. Of course, that's before taxes. Immunization rates for kindergarteners in California is higher than the national average. California Department of Public Health says more than ninety five percent of kids in the state are vaccinated against measles, MOMPS, and rebella. The vaccination rates have held pretty steady for close to a decade. Snow White took in just over fourteen million dollars in its second weekend of release. Since it was released, it's earned about forty three million dollars in the US just over eighty seven million worldwide. The cost to make the movie was between two hundred and forty and two hundred and seventy million dollars. A Working Man with Jason Statham finished first in the weekend box office. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning with our buddy Neil Sevadra back in the driver's seat. The tariffs are coming. The tariffs are coming. Neil's going to tell you all about that right now. Let's say good morning too. California's regional executive director for the National Wildlife Federation. Best Pratt, Good morning, Beth. Thanks for getting us up early with us today.
Speaker 4: Oh, no problem, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: So we're excited because construction for the wildlife crossing over the one oh one freeway in a Gore Hills is progressing and entering a new phase today.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we're really excited. I'm up early, not just for you, but we are about to put the first soil on the top of the one oh one structure, which to me is a really actually emotional milestone because so far it's been concrete, twenty six million pounds of concrete for that one oh one structure. But this is the first kind of natural lair. You know, I can now envision a mountalined pop print in it. So getting my hand in that soil and being able to toss it on the bridge and know that next coming is plant and habitat, that's a pretty amazing milestone.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So now, Beth, is how much dirt are you going to be throwing onto the bridge? Eventually? You said twenty six million tons of concrete. How much dirt's going on there?
Speaker 11: You know, that's a really good question I don't know the answer to, but it's a lot.
Speaker 4: This is a this, yeah, a lot. How's that for scientific?
Speaker 11: It is a full acre of habitat on top of that bridge, and that we are actually creating, right, there was nothing there. I do know that the top soil is about nine inches in height, and then the subsoil, which actually is what we'll be tossing on would they start today, it's about nine inches.
Speaker 4: So you're talking about you know.
Speaker 11: About across the entire habitat, you're talking about eighteen inches of soil, which is a lot.
Speaker 3: From below that.
Speaker 4: We have aggregate, we have drainage layers.
Speaker 11: It's it's you know, people ask, you know sometimes why this is taking so long. Well, it's not just a bridge for cars. To create an ecosystem on top took a lot of engineering, you know, such as the waterproofing and drainage layers, so that you could pretty much create a habitat.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then once you get all the dirt on there, then you're going to be planting things, right.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I think this is the most fascinating part of the whole project. Even though I have a black thumb and you wouldn't want me in charge of this, but we have a whole native plant nursery operation that literally we started like five or six years ago with just people coming out gathering samples of like the microbi you know, microbiology of the soil of the fungus, and started gathering over a million hyperlocal seeds that now if you look, are now full fledged plants, and those will be starting to.
Speaker 1: Go on in May, okay, And then we're still looking at an opening data when it's going to be completed still early next year, is that right?
Speaker 11: Sometime in twenty twenty six, the weather did delay us a little bit. We had two record rainy springs, which unfortunately hit at bad times. When you're pouring concrete, you can't have soupy soil doesn't work real well. But we're looking at twenty twenty six, and what is next is we have to relocate there or bury There is a utility line in between the freeway and a Gora road and those utility lines will be buried, which will actually help with fire resiliency. And then we start extending the structure over a Goa road and then put the soil on that plants on that and we are open for business and probably mid to late twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Okay, how exciting. Okay, So I want to ask you a question because we've talked about this before, but just you're building this massive crossing. It's an acre in size over the freeway, and you and I have talked before about if you build it, they will come, meaning that if you build this car, the wildlife will find it. How do they find it because in the grand scope of things along the whole freeway, it's a very narrow passage.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and that's actually why they will find it or have already found it. We know from the National Park Service research, you know, over twenty years of collaring mountain lines and bobcats and coyotes and other animals that they're trying to cross here. If you look on a map like a Google map, you can see that the green space funnels right to this location, kind of an hour glass shape. It's the last sixteen hundred feet in that entire region on the one oh one where there's protected open space on both sides. So they're already trying to cross here. They just get to the freeway and are like uh huh and turn around, because I'll tell you I've stood there at two am and I wouldn't even try it.
Speaker 4: You know, the one on one just never slows.
Speaker 11: But what we what we also do, and we know from decades of wildlife crossing science, is we put up what we call exclusionary fencing so they'll sensing on about two miles on either side of the freeway. That actually cuts off their options and leads them to it as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh, I love that. Okay, Well, I hope that we get to talk to you again soon, Beth. A very exciting day. We're a step closer to giving animals safe passage. And that's that's big stuff, you.
Speaker 4: Know, it's hopeful stuff.
Speaker 11: I think we all need hope these days, and to me, this is a hopeful project.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me, all right, thank you.
Speaker 1: Bet. That's California Regional executive director of the National Wildlife Federation, Beth Pratt. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Several top universities in California are under federal investigation for their use of diversity, equity and inclusion policies.
Speaker 6: The DOJ under the Trump administration is probing UCLA, UC Irvine, Stanford, and UC Berkeley to see if DEI criteria played a role in student admissions. Supporters of the investigation say admissions should be merit based, while critics argue these policies help level the playing field and reflect the diversity of the country. Regita Degastino kay if I Knew.
Speaker 1: An award winning actress, has been arrested in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: And Delaney from NYPD Blue was arrested on suspicion of felony assault at her home in Marina del Rey on Saturday morning. Allie County Sheriff's deputies responded to a report of a domestic disturbance. Delaney's partner, James Morgan, was also arrested on suspicion of spousal battery. He later posted a twenty thousand dollars bond, but Delaney remained in jail as of Sunday. Both have a court appearance on Tuesday. Andrew Caravella KYFI News country.
Speaker 1: Singer Morgan Wallin has made an early exit from the Saturday Night Live stage. Host Mikey Madison said good night, and then Walin just kind of walked off stage. Normally everyone stands around and hugs. The show on Saturday Night started with a sketch depicting Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth accidentally sharing war plans in a group chat with high school girls. Wallin later posted on social media. Get Me to God's Country. Okay, we are less than a week away from the Wiggle Waggle Walk and we're going to be wiggling waggling to help raise money from Pasadena Humane. The event is this Sunday at Brookside Park at the Rose Bowl on April sixth. The event starts at eight The walk and run starts at nine am, and we would love for you to join us. It's a beautiful way to start a sunny Sunday, and it looks like the weather's going to hold for us. It's gonna be a beautiful day. We've got vendors and food trucks and training demonstrations, and there's dog costume contests. So get your pup, get registered, and please come join us. We're trying to raise ten thousand dollars and that's just the wake up call wigglers. We're on our way. We're not there yet. We need your help. To donate or to join the team, or to donate and join the team, go to KFI AM six forty dot com. Slash wiggle would love to have you join us. Like I said, it's gonna be a great day, and we're doing We're helping Pasadena Humane help thousands of pets, especially critical this year because how many pets were affected by the Eton fire, and in fact, Pasadena Humane is still housing some of the animals who were displaced in the fire. So we would love for you to join us again. Sunday, April sixth Join the wake upcall wigglers. KFIAM six forty dot com, slash wiggle. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland. Weather from KFI. Rain at times this morning, tapering off this afternoon. Ees in the low to mid sixties at the beaches Metro La Inlando, c in the Valley's mid number sixties in the ie fifties, with gusty winds in the Antelope Valley. Becoming partly cloudy with highs in the mid sixties Tomorrow, Sunny and cool on Wednesday with highs in the sixties, slight chance of rain Thursday afternoon, and then we'll be back to sunny sky's Friday and into the weekend. It's fifty five and fuller ten fifty five in San Clementy, fifty three in Pasadena, and fifty five in Whittier. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Kno along with traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up call, you can listen at any time on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.