Speaker 1: Dark Cast Network.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Dark Side of podcasting.
Speaker 3: Hi guys, I'm Courtney and I'm Lisa, and we are the hosts of the Book of the Dead, a true crime podcast based out of New Jersey, where we tell you about the most obscure cases that you may have never heard of. So join us in the Book of the Dead Library for another chapter of the Book of the Dead wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Hi guys, Hey, y'all, welcome back to Mountain Murders.
Speaker 2: I'm Heather and I'm Dylan. Hey Dylan, how's it going.
Speaker 1: It's going great.
Speaker 2: You look super happy.
Speaker 1: You know, it's one of those days. It's going to be one of those days here in the studio when you don't know what's going to happen, you know what I mean, Like we're going to be on the edge of everything, you know, the edge of everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have no idea what that means. Me neither, But I'm interpreting that to mean that you will likely say something completely unhinged and out in left field, and the rest of us will be left to decipher the meaning.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's exactly what I meant.
Speaker 2: Because you're a philosopher's sizer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to philosophy ze on your face.
Speaker 2: There you go. Okay, okay, it's been a minute, but we are back and we are bringing you Part three of the Larry Flint Story now.
Speaker 1: And uh, this was one of the more unfortunate things about our break. We were in the middle of a series here on Larry Flint, a very interesting series in my opinion, and I cannot wait for part three.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Dylan, do not forget. We are part of the dark Cast Network. Dark Cast has a big announcement coming your way. Make sure you check that out. So many good indie podcasts available at the Darkcast Network, including Mountain Murders.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's more, too many to name.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to pick up some funky, fresh merch heading into fall spooky season, you want to get yourself a little spooky gear, check out our website. That's www dot Mountain Murders podcast dot com. Lots of merch available, dyling.
Speaker 1: You can find everything Mountain Murders at that site.
Speaker 2: Directly from our website, you can support us on Patreon and do not forget Mark your calendar is September twenty fifth, Mountain Murders will be at the fuck Yets Fall Festival at the Slide Rog in Ashville. It is going to be an amazing evening of punk bands, NonStop balls to the wallpunk music. I'm super jazzed about this. And they are bringing in all kinds of like spooky themed vendors heading into the month of October, spooky season around the corner. I just can't say fucking say spooky enough.
Speaker 1: Dylan Home, I feel space. Yeah, I cannot wait for this. It's gonna be a great evening. I even burned a vacation day at work. That's how much I believe in this evening. Because those a few.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want you guys to pause for a moment, close your eyes and think about this. We're in the yard. There's a big bonfire. Dylan is naked, oh, only he is wearing his like orange safety vest. Yeah, and he's literally burning a vacation day and burning it and it's right rising up. The smoke, the flames are rising up, and he's presenting it to the universe like I'd of sacrificing this beautiful vacation day so we can go listen to punk music. No, it's more like he okay, right, yeah, okay, and.
Speaker 1: Don't forget the high viz gear. You won't be able to look away, Dylan from my body. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just gonna say, I often can't resist gig away from your body. I cannot turn away.
Speaker 1: No, I stand in from her neck like this is the face of God, stare upon it.
Speaker 2: It's quite delicious. Oh my gosh, the rhymes you were given are quite booty delicious. Are you ready to get into Larry Flint? I mean, get all up in him, get deep inside.
Speaker 1: We need to get We need to finish this Larry Flint.
Speaker 2: You're gonna finish on his on his case, on his story.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna finish on his chair, right And I want to see where it goes. I want to see where I end up when this is over.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, when we last discussed Larry Flint, he'd been shot in the abdomen by an unknown sniper. Larry and Althea decided to move to Los Angeles, California. The Flints purchased a Mediterranean style mansion in Beverly Hills, previously previously owned by Errol Flynn Share and Sonny if we have to mention him, Robert Stack and Tony Curtis, This is.
Speaker 1: All Hollywood royalty, right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I would love to live in a home owned previously by Share and Robert Stack. How cool would that be?
Speaker 1: So here we have Larry's been an assassination attempt. There's no other description of it.
Speaker 2: If I could buy all Mart.
Speaker 1: For a good price, Okay, Yes. And so from their point of view, him and his wife's point of view, you have to imagine that they're probably feeling like the authorities are maybe not going to try to solve the case, right, I mean you have to imagine that they don't have a lot of confidence, and he's.
Speaker 2: Been targeted a lot by law enforcement and lawmakers and the authorities the man, if you will. So, yeah, I'm sure he's he's maybe questioning like do they really care about this? Yes, I'm in They've been trying to destroy me financially, destroy my career, my business. Do they really care if I'm gone to Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean you give given the high jinks of the federal government with that whole thing in Kansas, you know, having the materials sent there and trying to get him for disseminating whatever through the mail and all that. So I'm sure he doesn't have a lot of confidence in the system.
Speaker 2: Well Larry's not. He's not done with the government yet, Dylan, Larry's got He's got more work to do. Damn on the government. But let's get back into this. So moving to Los Angeles brought a couple of sense of comfort because it was a more progressive city where pornography wasn't frowned upon as it was in the rust Belt. The hustler offices were moved west as well. Unfortunately, Larry would live with chronic pain. The only way to manage the constant agony was with pain medications, particularly delauded and morphine.
Speaker 1: Oh Wow.
Speaker 2: A nineteen eighty four Vanity Fair article profiled specifically Larry's pain and that it had driven him to these addictive medications. During this time, Larry began injecting the medication himself as well as ingesting it. Not only did Larry abuse the medications, but althea started using them too. Damn, Larry isolated in the mansion. He's abusing drugs. And during this time Larry will overdose roughly six times due to opioid abuse.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah, Well, for one, he's not a doctor. So when you started ministering these very strong narcotics yourself intraveniously on top of ingesting them, and you're like, oh, you're doing You're doing it, likely more often than prescribed, maybe bigger doses than what your doctor would like. It's a very dangerous situation. And that's the terrible thing about chronic pain. People over the years who live with chronic pain, Yes, is the very thing, the one thing usually that brings them any type of relief, is also the one thing that can harm them. Yes, you know. And and it's not as easy as say someone who's purely using recreationally, they don't have any pain or any conditions, they can say, Okay, I'm done with this. You know, I don't. I can't control myself around these substances. Therefore I can't have them in my life. I substance, I rebealed you in the name of Hessus, and so you get away from it. But then, if you are someone who truly has a genuine chronic pain, you're left with this agonizing pain on you know that you have to deal with daily. So it makes them, it has to make it much more, much harder to control yourself with these substances.
Speaker 2: Right, Delauded is a a hydromorphone, a very potent opioid. Morphine is another opioid. So taking them together produces addictive opioid effects such as sedation and respiratory depression, and it can result in death or a coma. Now Larry is self administering these drugs. As I mentioned before, and for anyone who's ever been on like a morphine drip in the hospital, you get like a little clicker that's going to regulate how much medicine you get, Yeah, how much morphine.
Speaker 1: You can administer it yourself, but it will only do it every so often.
Speaker 2: Right, and so you can sit there and click it a hundred times, but it's still just going to give you the little dose that you're allotted in a specific period.
Speaker 1: Right. But I'm sorry. My only experience I had back served you on time and they gave me. I had a ruptured disc. I was in tremendous pain, and I think it was delauded that they gave me in the emergency room, like it off the rip to you know, calm me down so they could run some tests. And I have to say, you know, I see why people get hooked to something like that. Right, just the a'm an instantaneous, more euphoric wave that washes over you and you know, nothing matters. It doesn't matter if you have pain or if you're going through something in your life. You're just kind of drifting on this, like, I don't know, like a cloud.
Speaker 2: It's it's hard to describe, like a cheeseburger down the river ketchup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe, but I understand how someone I wouldn't want, let's just say me having issues in the past with substances you know, here and there, I would not want access full time access to these types of things.
Speaker 2: I don't like those feelings. I mean, I know a lot of people are like, yeah, right now, you really don't that's euphoric sense or whatever. Look, I am such a control freak in my life. I have to have like every moment I need to feel like I'm on top of it, like the hypervigilance to just like maintain a sense of control in my life. That I hate those feeling. I don't like feeling out of control. I don't like being all doped up, if you will, even if it feels good, It's like I I would not want to feel that way every day, right Okay, I'm a masochist, like I want every day of my life to suck, and I want to be fully aware of how bad it sucks.
Speaker 1: Okay, you want to give an accurate reading on the suck scale, right, Plus, I.
Speaker 2: Don't I don't think I've ever had morphine. Like I've not had a you know, like a lot of medical problems or surgeries. Maybe just a few little things here and there, but I don't think I've ever been given morphine for pain.
Speaker 1: And that's a good thing because but you know, and I was also on the morphine drip that you're describing at post surgery a little bit, all recovered. But I have to say, even me with my issues in the past and now just was I was a kind of stimulant guy, so you know, pills and all that.
Speaker 2: God, that's what I don't need.
Speaker 1: No, oh no, it's great, it's super cool. I'm very social. No we should just you're like.
Speaker 2: That without stimulants, look broke when you're like kind of manic. Yeah, you get on my damn nerve. So I cannot imagine you on stimulants like fully manic all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you would be.
Speaker 2: I would tie you up. You would be in the trunk of my car, be up here, and my car is very small, so I'd have to fold you up like a fourth grade love note to stick you in the trunk.
Speaker 1: But I went to my doctor and I was like, I don't want these anymore because I was getting you know, a multiple things prescribed large amounts monthly, and just I mean, gosh, it really affected my system in a negative way.
Speaker 2: Bro, you should just like gotten more. You just sold it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I know I should. That's I saw some video and I know this is the right thing to do, Okay, But I saw some videos like a home health care nurse was like doing a skit, but I guess just you know, some reality she deals with and she's like, oh, I see your father's passed away. Where's all his medicines that are usually on the not stand by this and that. Oh some of that stuff's really powerful. We need to dispose of it properly and all that. And people's in the comment is like, nah, that's not how that's gonna work. But what's funny is what a lot of people said, and this is true. No, I'm going to take that, I'm going to put it back and if I do have serious pain of any sort, get injured or something like that, I'm going to take it myself because it's almost impossible to get a doctor to prescribe you something like that if you truly are in pain.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I'm not saying I haven't heard people say things like that before, and I'm not saying that's okay, but you know.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, I would sell.
Speaker 2: Hey, I would get caught like right off the bat in this. It would I would like try to sell it to someone and then come to find out, like my best friend of one hundred years is like an undercover cop and I knew it and they arrest me or something.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, maybe you should just turn him in at the first apartment.
Speaker 2: I'm not a like, I'm not a I'm not a drug.
Speaker 1: Dealer, all right. So here we have Larry of self medicating with very powerful medicines and uh that has amazing stat He's overdosed at least six times. And this is.
Speaker 2: Back in the day and they didn't even have narcir Yeah I.
Speaker 1: Know, so that's pretty wild, right though.
Speaker 2: I Mean, he could just be like narc canning himself at the dollars store like every every hour if he wanted to. Yeah, it's like wheeling around the doll tree. Oh now they take they canning himself.
Speaker 1: Keep the nark can in your drug kit so you can actually push your high further than you ever could before. And you just have your buddy bring you back from the edge of death. Awesome, and you can get extra.
Speaker 2: That's not enabling people, Okay, it's althea. It takes over the day to day operations of Hustler because Larry is struggling with this chronic pain and substance abuse. She's under immense pressure. She's running a full time corporation with many employees and ensuring legal requirements are met. Plus she's got an invalid husband at home who is high on pain medication. This is a very stressful situation, and her courtisol level it goes all the way up to eleven.
Speaker 1: Eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like to play a game like how many spinal tap references can I make in a day? Yeah? Okay, so it goes all the way up to eleven, Doyling, which I have to say, my courtisol level has been at eleven for like almost two weeks now, and I'm really starting to feel it's like taking over my body. Yeah, and I just feel so stressed out. Well, you know, like I'm just a big tense muscle, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: See now, this is where the way I'm wired, this is that when it helps me, like when I should be all to hell, like if the stuff's happened. I'm dealing with some things. You're going through some stuff, and I really should be concerned, like trying to figure out how to make it better and like a plan forward, a path forward. I don't worry about any of that stuff, right, I just you know, we'll just see what happens tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I've never seen you worry about anything since I met you. You just go where the wind blows you.
Speaker 1: Yes, And you.
Speaker 2: Know what they say, dealing ignorance.
Speaker 1: Is bliss It truly is.
Speaker 2: And I've come to realize that maybe you're one ignorant ass motherfucker because you seem very blissful like a lot of the time.
Speaker 1: It's true, and I'm not.
Speaker 2: And I I just maybe I need to be dumber.
Speaker 1: So you just gotta let it go. Dude.
Speaker 2: Somebody needs to drop me on my head a few times so we can be I can be on your level.
Speaker 1: You got yeah, you gotta get it with my mama. See it exactly how she got my head squared up from throwing me around and dropping me on my head. She didn't do that on purpose, that she's admitted, damn. But yeah, you've just got it. Will or it won't, Okay, it will or it won't.
Speaker 2: You know, my cortisol levels like through the roof, and I'm so fucking stressed out and on edge. And it's not even anything related to me. Nothing that's like other people's other people's stuff stresses me out.
Speaker 1: You're like a tuning fork because I.
Speaker 2: Fucking care so much. You know I am a tuning fork.
Speaker 1: You're gonna carry yourself into sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is why I just have to like isolate because all y'all's feelings it affects me.
Speaker 4: Okay, I tell your feelings and leave her loft.
Speaker 2: A little sponge over here crying.
Speaker 1: Don't soak it up. Somebody squeeze this bitch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, somebody squeeze. Please squeeze my spongebody.
Speaker 1: Let's squirt out something. Sponge juice a running everywhere.
Speaker 2: She's over here squirting her feelings like that.
Speaker 1: She was slapped full of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, but what's not gloss over the fact that Althea was more than qualified for the job. She'd been by Larry's side for years and the top position within the company. Althea takes command of Hustler and the sister magazine, Chic, which is rarely mentioned.
Speaker 1: I've heard of it.
Speaker 2: I had not heard of Chic either.
Speaker 1: I thought it was gonna be called like Balls or something like that. So was a Sheic their elegant version where they tried to be more classy, like you know, Playboy early on.
Speaker 2: And I have no idea because I did not for the research Chic, because believe me, I I got enough eye fool when I was researching Hustler.
Speaker 1: I imagine by the name Alonge that that probably is the case.
Speaker 2: And this wasn't merely au Thea as like a figurehead signing off on work that professional managers did. Althea occupies a large, glass walled office acting as publisher. She's involved in how ideas are presented and laid out, and can be even more stubborn than Larry about editorial decisions. Althea had to function around Larry's addiction, but eventually she joined him in nineteen eighty three, there was an interview that gets published with UPI like United Press International believe what UPS stands for anyway, Althia explained that Larry took drugs because of pain, and that she was taking them essentially to share the experience with him. She described their drug use as eventually becoming something of a mutually reinforcing ritual. Their home life became extraordinarily dysfunctional. A later account by Rudy Maxa described the couple using methadone, cocaine, marijuana, sleeping pills, morphine, and delauded. Both suffered multiple overdoses during this time, and, according to his account, out the cocaine habit alone reached an estimated twenty thousand dollars per week.
Speaker 1: Damn, damn, this.
Speaker 2: Is like jagging. Now, that's a lot, like a mountain of coke.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of blow. And that was that really strong. I'm not even being funny, but that was that really strong.
Speaker 2: Like they're just shut like they've got big snowshovels and they're just shoveling this coke into her face.
Speaker 1: I mean, that'sn't really shot of money strong cocaine back in the day.
Speaker 2: And this isn't like the early eighties. So twenty thousand dollars is what like two hundred thousand by today's money.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean maybe, oh, easily one hundred thousand if you account for inflation and all that. But you know, this is the kind of cocaine that literally can eat your entire nasal cop and you have like that hole.
Speaker 2: Oh, you'll be like that guy, the comedian what's his name, Artie?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, already he was like on Howard Stern show a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's kind of gross, yeah, but he went hard in to pay. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bro, it's like missing half his nose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this is the stuff that will eat all your sonuses out in your deviated septim right, Yeah, that's what it's called.
Speaker 2: No, that's what it's called. Althea's involvement often gets downplayed or becomes background to Larry's story, But she was a badass, Like I really want to talk about Althea here. Like I've mentioned before, she played an important role at Hustler even before Larry's injuries, Like in the nineteen seventies, she was earning five hundred thousand dollars a year as an associate publisher, which was just unheard of for a woman at that time. Althea has been described as a gatekeeper within the organization. She wielded considerable power. Althea could fire senior staff without Larry's permission. Paul Krasner, a renowned subculture writer and the founder of the Realist, was briefly named publisher of Hustler, and Althea fired him.
Speaker 1: Damn, I guess she just and like him.
Speaker 2: And Krassner himself said that Althea told him readers wanted Larry's name on the masthead, not his.
Speaker 1: Oh so, not.
Speaker 2: Only is she a shrewd businesswoman, but she genuinely has Larry's back in all facets of life.
Speaker 1: We'll say, when you have a partner like this, who's really been hands on in a large organization that's continued to grow, I'm sure this is almost a natural fit for her to, you know, slide into Larry's job, you know, because he's unable to do it. And I'm sure even with everything going on in their lives and her worrying for Larry and everything that's happened to him, she probably has also had a lot of stuff on the shelf ideas that she would like to implement or try, and this has really given her the opportunity to do just that.
Speaker 2: Althea had real editorial instincts, like if she hadn't been at Hustler, she could have easily slid into a role at like Vogue or like a fashion magazine, because she really knew like what, Like she knew what she wanted, She knew what looked good, she knew styling, she knew set design like she knew the angles, the shots she wanted, like everything, she cared about how the magazine looked. In a Washington Post interview, those who worked with Althea told journalist Cynthia Gorney that if Althea had an idea for something that should appear in the magazine, she was extremely insistent. And though Althea didn't transform herself into a conventional corporate executive, she maintained a somewhat more informal style. She wondered freely between being owner, publisher, employee, and sort of the resident eccentric at Hustler offices, she sometimes spent long stretches in the mailroom talking to eighteen year old employees and listening to whatever like mixtapes they brought into work. Okay, really into music. She would nap on her sofa in the office. She kept Jack Daniel inside a wooden globe on her desk. She sounds like a CEO.
Speaker 1: To me, No, she sounds like a CEO who's actually got their finger on the pulse of the company, right anyone. And I've seen this to a small smaller degree in my years of working in blue collar trades and being in factories. Any manager that's willing to get their hands dirty or take the time to talk to the lowest member, the least senior member on the team and work their way up the line, they're really getting a genuine idea or outlook on how the company is doing, how policies are being implemented in the real real world, not the boardroom or not somemra rob meeting of upper management. And it's really a smart thing to do. It's it's really a good way to figure out how your company, how people feel about working at competible.
Speaker 2: That and I think it also like creates a really positive culture that that Larry started that everyone whether you're the janitor or you're the vice president, he treats everyone the same. Everyone's important, everyone matters, and so Althea just kind of continues that philosophy in running this business and it seems to be really effective.
Speaker 1: Well, any place that claims to have an open door policy as far as your access to upper management and they truly follow through with that. It's always been a positive thing from my and from my experience.
Speaker 2: Well, you know Timothy Leary O, mister like LSD Daddy himself, Yeah, well he knew the Flints very well after their move to Los Angeles, and he described Althea as being bright, shrewd, and intellectually curious. She was also flamboyant and drawn to outsiders and dissent. Althea understood Larry, the Hustler audience and the company's strange culture. She didn't need to turn Hustler into some high fashion magazine like Vogue. She understood what Hustler was supposed to be, and she knew exactly how to give the people what they wanted.
Speaker 1: And that's very smart. You know, it's really easy to lose sight of your lane if you will right unit, you have customers who expect a certain thing from your product, and anytime you get too big for your breeches or you get real egotistical about it. You might lose sight of that. So it's very important to keep that in mind.
Speaker 2: Right Well, after Larry was shot, there was an internal power struggle that ensued. Althea and Larry's brother, Jimmy became involved in a dispute over ownership of the Hustler business. The dispute was settled when Jimmy accepted leisure Time Products a mail order operation, and released his claims to the other companies. The entire matter was ultimately resolved through federal litigation over the company's ownership. So that can be a little messy. Family family fighting family's business for sure.
Speaker 1: That can get that can turn hateful, can be ugly, it can it can poison the entire company.
Speaker 2: I'm poison water in horror. Yeah, when stuff like that happens, there's just snak in my boot. Yes. Althea also wanted a magazine of her own. She proposed a publication called The Rage, and this was a magazine like she had had in mind for a while. Althea wanted to create a non pornographic magazine centered on punk culture that was happening like during the mid nineteen eighties. The project ultimately didn't materialize and it is tempting to interpret Althea entirely through Larry, which a lot of people do, but their professional relationship seems more complicated. And in roughly twelve years she had a substantial publishing career really, so she was like a force to be reckoned with. Like she wasn't just Larry's wife who just happens to work there kind of flitting about. I mean, she's she's actually like she's a visionary and she's there. I mean this magazine is also like she's a big part of this, you know, like she helped create it and make it what it is today and what it was for years. You know.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like you said earlier, she had real talent. She did and no matter where or what type of magazine. And I'm sure it helps if she's passionate about her you know, whatever the magazine subject matter is. But it sounds like she would have done fine and it, yeah, risen through the ranks.
Speaker 2: Well. Eventually, Larry grows concerned about Althea's drug use and starts cutting her off from his supply, But Althea is hanging out. I mean she's in Los Angeles and she's hanging out at the whiskey and the roxy. In LA where there's plenty heroin and.
Speaker 1: Cocaine, she's not gonna have a problem.
Speaker 2: She had problem getting these drugs. And for those who don't know, Los Angeles in the early nineteen eighties had one of the most important and volatile punk scenes in America. It was less a single scene than several overlapping ones. You had like the aready first wave punk crowd, then the aggressive hardcore scene. There were these suburban and city like beach bands that were also kind of punk. Then you had Latino punk scenes in East LA and then the darker post punk death rock underground.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and all these scenes would overlap at times, right.
Speaker 2: Exact, Yes, that's what I just said.
Speaker 1: Bud in the crowds.
Speaker 2: So the earlier Hollywood scenes centered around bands like X, the Weirdos, the Germs, and the Bags. I love the Germs like I'm a big Germs fan. Then hardcore arrived. You get bands like Black Flag, the Circle, jerm Sphere, the Adolescence, TSOL, and the descendants that made music faster, louder, and more confrontational. A lot of the Second Wave wasn't actually coming from Hollywood. Black Flag, for example, came from Hermosa Beach, the adolescents were from Flords in California, and a lot of other bands emerged from suburbs scattered across southern California if you're interested, because I could talk about this all day, but this is not a music podcast, and I'm sure people don't want to hear my thoughts on the La punk scene. But anyway, if you are interested in learning more about this, I highly recommend watching The Decline of Western Civilization Part one. It's a wonderful documentary. There's actually three of them, but the first one focuses solely on the La punk scene during this time in the early eighties, and it's really great.
Speaker 1: No, it really is a great it's a great documentary, and it really exposes you to exactly what you just described in an intimate fashion.
Speaker 2: Now, Althina's interest in punk wasn't a fleeting thing, and so that's why I bring all of this up, because you hear like she wanted to start a punk rock magazine, and you know, people might roll their eyes and be like, oh, yeah, okay, well, but but the thing is like it was a big deal at this time, and she's kind of you know, I guess sort of submerged herself into this scene and she can see how important it is and what it's creating, and how it's attracting all these young people, and you know, it's pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: No, and I'm sure you know people could roll their eyes like, oh, like it was some pet project of hers. But I think that the fact that she did consider for I'm sure quite some time this magazine and it being about that she saw an opportunity, and she also probably felt very strongly about it, right.
Speaker 2: And I mean it definitely would have, you know, kind of like been a niche magazine.
Speaker 1: It would have been nice.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people would have been interested in it.
Speaker 1: It would have been niche and CULTI but having real money and experience and talent behind something representing the punk scene at that time would have been monumental.
Speaker 2: Honestly. I would love I would love to have seen like I would have loved if this magazine had taken off and we could see, like I'm just imagining all the cool photos and interviews and like, how badass this magazine could have been.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just when you see if you were to watch that doc some a couple of these clubs are basically holes in.
Speaker 2: The wall, empty warehouse space.
Speaker 1: People that came through there that ended up turning into legends. I mean, it's just mind.
Speaker 2: Boggling to see these young artists.
Speaker 1: Where was the one place where Jane's Addiction was basically the house band?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I can't remember the name of the little club, but yeah.
Speaker 1: So you, as a young person could pop up at this cool little spot you're hearing about and see a young Jane's Addiction who was basically the house band for quite some time there. I mean, are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Oh wow?
Speaker 2: Super cool. Now, Larry's legal troubles are far from over. Penthouse magazine publisher Bob Guccione was married to a woman named Kathy Keaton, and Kathy Keaton sued Larry for defamation because the nineteen seventy six issue of Hustler contained a cartoon of Kathy implying that her husband, Bob, had given her an STD Oh damn. Now the case was dismissed when it was revealed that Bob had in fact given his wife a venereal disease.
Speaker 1: So it's not slander, right.
Speaker 2: Right, So it's not defamation because it was fact Kathy's first suit ended up being thrown out of court, one because it was factual, and two because by the time she filed this lawsuit in the eighties, the statute of limitations had expired.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean you could argue that, hey, it was actual, that was satirical that. I mean, I'm sure you'd come at that from ten different director, ten different.
Speaker 2: Ways, right, And I don't know why, but it's kind of funny to me, Like people suing because somebody dunked on them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's a crude cartoons, Like, so what.
Speaker 2: You got owned? Because like the more a person insists something isn't true, the more it makes them look like it is. And they're like you know what I'm saying. Oh yeah, Like the more you deny it, then what it actually makes you look guilty or like, no, it's the truth.
Speaker 1: Well, and you certainly make a bigger deal a mountain out of a molehill, and way more people hear about it than it's right, the few people who knew who you were when they read the cartoon in the magazine, right.
Speaker 2: So like, yeah, you might have a few thousand people who read it and are like whatever, But then when you make this big fuss about it. It's like you want the whole world to know, and then they all find out that this is the true I mean, come on anyway, Like, come on, Kathy, you got dumped on. Take it now. She ended up suing Larry in New Hampshire. And here's the thing. Hustler wasn't published in New Hampshire, and that's not where Larry resided. But she didn't reside in New Hampshire either. She specifically picked New Hampshire because they sold Hustler there and had the longest statute of limitations, which was six years, so she would be within the window to sue him there. And New Hampshire ultimately threw the case out of court as well, but then Kathy took it to Federal Court and eventually all the way to the Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: So at this point she spent a considerable amount of money on attorney fees alone.
Speaker 2: To look really stupid, and.
Speaker 1: Political capital or social capital certainly, to look stupid, just.
Speaker 2: So everyone could find out that, like, hey, guess what like so.
Speaker 1: We can have a Matt Locke moment, she.
Speaker 2: Had the crowds or whatever, I don't like. So he gave her the clap. I mean, I don't I'm not sure what he gave her, but I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So matt Lock's a one moment, ma'am. And the door is sling open and a big crab comes down the afice. Oh gosh, yeah, that's the big Matlock moment.
Speaker 2: When Larry showed up in Washington, d C. He was hell bent on representing himself in the courtroom. There was a lawyer that had been appointed to represent Larry, and this made him really mad. How does that go? So I'm just curious, does Kathy show up with photos of like her healthy genitals, like see, look there's no discharge. Like, I know it's silly, but look if one of my haters said there has an STD, like, I'm not even gonna be mad because I'm just like, it's so lame.
Speaker 1: The people's exhibit of clean.
Speaker 2: I mean, a lot of people have or get STDs, right, I mean, it's not like it happens. It's uncommon. It's like, what one in every four people get something or has something right.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, do I have something? Satistically, So if there's two more people in this room with us one, you're probably ate up I'm not up.
Speaker 2: Well, you do have a big old' herpie on your lips sometimes?
Speaker 1: Well no, but I've had that since I was a kid. So you're saying I was a little kid whore. I mean, what are you talking about? A little kid slut.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what you're weird.
Speaker 1: That's your thought, that's your thought. We're describing where you let us you're weird. No, anyway, you're trying to bring out my fever blisters. Okay out here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, eighty five or whatever.
Speaker 1: My lawyers will be contacting your team and we'll see where this actually goes in court whatever.
Speaker 2: I have them to bro, I've had them since I was a kid, and who knows where I know call them from, because like both my parents have cold cold stores or fever blisters or whatever you want to call them.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, now I have to say a lot of.
Speaker 2: People have the mouth herps. It's fine.
Speaker 1: It's a thousand wonders that I never did catch anything. I can tell you that, So I mean maybe there is a god.
Speaker 2: Oh, so you are admitting that you were like a big old, crusty chapter slut. Is that what you're telling me?
Speaker 1: A crusty lip slut.
Speaker 2: What is that crusty lip.
Speaker 1: Car mix all over my body?
Speaker 2: Now, Dyle, I'm confused because you say this and I know you're joking, because deep down we both know that that little guy, he needs a lot of encouragement to like work.
Speaker 1: He has to know you. Yes, Oh no, I will.
Speaker 2: Say, your penis needs to have a deeply personal relationship with someone before he decides to like pull out in the direct and start like fancying hello exactly. Otherwise he's just hiding before he's the WB frog. It's just hiding. Yes.
Speaker 1: Now, I attempted at times in my life when I was going to be single man and you know, tear it up. I tempted one night stands.
Speaker 2: I tempted things like you left a trail of disappointment.
Speaker 1: I left a trail of awkward.
Speaker 2: I've heard some of the stories from you, Dylan, sound very disappoint.
Speaker 1: The women because they're just trying to hook up. You know how it is when you go out to a bar.
Speaker 2: Just now, I don't because I'm not a big old whore.
Speaker 1: You're a damn lie. You're a damn lie.
Speaker 2: Oh now you're calling your what are you saying about your wife?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I know, well it's true.
Speaker 2: What are you implying, Dylan, I'm a lady motherfucker who I'm fighting words.
Speaker 1: Anyway, let's get back to the story. Okay, I won't get too deep into this.
Speaker 2: Hey, I ain't never caught nothing either, but my.
Speaker 1: My area is healthy, it's pristine.
Speaker 2: So, like Kathy, I could bring in pictures of my very healthy parts and be like, see, look, there ain't no sores or nothing. There ain't no cankers or nothing.
Speaker 1: On there no crotch cankers.
Speaker 2: Now, okay, so we've got cat. Yes, we actually have. Kathy. So her husband gave her an.
Speaker 1: STD, which is unfortunate.
Speaker 2: So again it's even more kind of silly that she's dragging this thing out.
Speaker 1: She knows what happened, she knows that she had to get some palicillum. Like, bro, just let it go, Kathy, Yeah, just take your shot. What the fuck, go down to your local health bok.
Speaker 2: Again, Larry, they're trying they're trying to force Larry to take legal advice and legal representation, and Larry is like pissed off about the whole situation, and then this lawyer thing. It just makes him really mad and he actually screams from the audience at the Supreme Court justices quote, you're nothing but eight assholes and a token cunt. Damn because Sandra Day O'Connor had recently been appointed to the highest court. So Sandra was indeed the token kunt and you know, the first woman appointed to the Supreme Court. Own it girl.
Speaker 1: He screamed this from the crowd out open Supreme Court.
Speaker 2: Oh yes he did. Wow. Larry was held in contemptive court. They took him to the like back area because they didn't have a holding cell or anything like that, so they have to like take him to this little like area to like, you know, hold him. He's in contempt. Larry needed to go to the bathroom, but they did not have a handicap stall available.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: They decided they would have to transport Larry to a nearby hospital in order for him to use a handicap bathroom. But then they ran into the problem that there was not a vehicle available for transporting Larry and his wheelchair to the hospital to use the bathroom. And I'm just imagining in the meantime, Larry's over here, like you know, I gotta take a whiz or he had Mexican and he's just like, oh god, you know, he's doing Lama's breathing, like trying to hold this in like I don't know, I don't know what's going on, but it's but it's like a whole thing.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: It's also pointing out that even if at this point I know that the what is it, the.
Speaker 2: Uh hey, we need some American with Disabilities Act. Yeah, you need to make this the Supreme Court handicap accessible, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is pointing out that everything you've been saying about all this stuff is basically lip service because at the highest parts of our government and our system, we don't even have a damn handicap bathroom or wheelchair accessibility.
Speaker 2: Somebody get this span of portable toilet. Okay. So Larry is like, Okay, problem solved. We can take my limo to the hospital, you know, otherwise I'm just gonna ship my pants right here. And at that point it was this whole production. So they agreed that Larry could take his limo to the hospital in order to use the handicap bathroom that's right now. While on his way back from the hospital, Larry decided he needed a clothing change, you know, Larry's a very fashionable guy, and though he's wearing a suit to court, he decides to take off his like dress shirt, his suit's dress shirt, and he changes into a custom made T shirt that says fuck this Court in huge black lettering. Wow, and I have a photo. I will post it on Instagram. It's a pretty great photo. Now, when he returns back to this like holding area, the marshals tell him, like, you cannot wear that into the courtroom. But Larry's like, fuck, yeah, I can. Who's stopping me.
Speaker 1: This free speech bud?
Speaker 2: And they tell him no, and Larry said like, well, I'm sorry, I don't have another shirt to change into. Is this or nothing? It's this or I'm naked. And they said fine, but you have to wear your jacket over it, your sports coat. But when he's seated back in the courtroom, Larry removes the jacket. So he's seated in front of the Supreme Court wearing this T shirt and it's just an indescribable scene. Right, it says fuck this Court. But you know, Larry was exercising his First Amendment right. And I also forgot to mention above the lettering fuck this Court. There's also a drawing like a doodle, if you will, of a penis oozing semen onto the lettering.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, hey, like you can take this T shirt that says fuck this court in the early this is what early eighties. Yes, this early eighties America is still rather conservative throughout the entire country, especially when it comes to obscenity and things like that in public. And the only way you could ever elevate a shirt like that is said penis oozing its hot load out onto the leather lettering.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean, Dylan, it's twenty twenty six, and we still have people clutching their pearls when they hear us say fuck on this part.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 2: So I can only imagine back then kind of hoop law if you will, the hullabaloo this caused. Also, I was thinking, maybe we need some merch that says fuck this court, or I don't know, maybe a shirt that says fuck this podcast.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, I would wear that. I'd wear it.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: Kathy Keaton ended up winning the lawsuit and was awarded two million dollars. Really, yes, so the Larry story is about to take another.
Speaker 1: Ou See that's crazy, I know, because it sounds to me like he pissed the justices off and they found a you know, ruled against him outside of law and precedent.
Speaker 2: Well, don't worry, Dylan, this is not the last time that Larry will sit before the Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: I mean it's almost like they were hell bent on him taking an l in court, no matter what that was.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Larry's story is about to take a turn, and I have to say, Dylan, it is the most nineteen eighties turn ever. Are you familiar with John Deloorian?
Speaker 1: I am? Okay, the Filled Car Company.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go. John Delorian, like Larry Flint, was one of the most colorful and controversial figures, and not just automotive history, but I would wager to say American history. He's a pop culture icon. At least his car, the DeLorean is. He was a celebrated engineer, like an engineering executive at General Motors, and he created the futuristic DeLorean sports car. His ambition was to build his own automobile company with a sports car that was beyond anything Detroit was producing at the time, with the.
Speaker 1: Gold wing doors, the stainless steel body.
Speaker 2: Why are you jumping ahead, ma'm oh?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: The DMC twelve was a stainless still body, a wedge shaped car with gold wing doors dn't and underneath the hood was a two point eight to five liter PRVV six which was developed by Puijo, Renault in Volvo, which are all European car companies.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, they all like joined.
Speaker 2: Forces to create this, you know, this engine or whatever. Production began in dun Murray, which is near Belfast, Ireland, in nineteen eighty one, but unfortunately the timing was not good and the car ended up costing about twenty five thousand dollars, which in nineteen eighty one was considered expensive, putting it into the luxury car territory. The early cars had quality control problems and performance didn't quite live up to the like exotic appearance of the car.
Speaker 1: No, that's the thing. It looks fast, it looks sexy, but it's actually a lumbering. It doesn't live up to expectations.
Speaker 2: Well that's exactly what I just said, But thank you for man spinning. I'm I'm going to compare it to like the band Kiss. You see them and you're like, fuck yeah, this is going to be hard as fuck.
Speaker 1: YEA face off and then they're like, well, can look.
Speaker 2: I love Kiss, and I'm not downing the boys right because I love some ace freely. I want to be in a New York groove. Kiss has its place, but I mean, come on, they look way cooler than their their music sounds.
Speaker 1: Their music's way softer than they appear, and people back in the day parents were just like, oh my god, kiss that means not to shade and service, and you're like, have you actually listened to the songs because it's pretty.
Speaker 2: My dad and his brother shared her room, my dad and my uncle, and up until my grandparents passed away, there was a big like around. It was a circular kiss sticker. Oh yeah, in the back of the bedroom closet door.
Speaker 1: I wish we had that now. It'd be awesome, asked.
Speaker 2: My actual what she did with it when she inherited the house. But yeah, anyway, I just remember my nana because as a kid, I was like, kissed, you know, yeah, Nana, no, and my nana being like, that stands for nats and Satan's service, and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, hm, no, it does.
Speaker 2: Linda Gale, I don't think so, but all right, anyway, Nanny was convinced it was Deevil's music.
Speaker 1: Well between Jean's tongue and the face paint, and.
Speaker 2: They wanted to rock and roll all night and party every day.
Speaker 1: And the big boots, I mean they in order to think of it, they have big boots. I know you do.
Speaker 2: I think I actually have a pair of kiss boots.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you do have stars on them.
Speaker 2: They're pretty stompy. Anyway, sales plummeted and the DeLorean company burned through cash. It's a disaster.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean him going overseas with his production to get outside of the big three in Detroit and the markets here in America and their influences. Actually, all he did was create an expensive luxury import that did not live up to its specs and to all the hype.
Speaker 2: And perhaps we have some younger listeners out there who as we're describing the Dolorean, they still are like, what the fuck are y'all talking about? It sounds like a gross cyber truck or something with the goal wing doors and stuff. It's the back to the future car.
Speaker 1: Yes, if surely you've seen at least a poster for Back to the future, you know the concept of back to the future that's certainly.
Speaker 2: Look and if you're a young person and you're you're sitting there like heathern zul and I have not seen back to the future. I'm very disappointed in you. And you have homework.
Speaker 1: You need to watch those watch all three of them. Why not are you in there? McFly?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay. So then the cocaine happens. By nineteen eighty two, his company, Delorean's company, was hemorrhaging cash. Delorian became involved with this guy named James Hoffman, who was secretly cooperating with federal authorities during the FBI sting. Delorian was secretly recorded to using a cocaine transaction supposedly worth tens of millions of dollars.
Speaker 1: He was desperate to get cash to keep his company afloat.
Speaker 2: In October of nineteen eighty two, Delaurian was arrested in a Los Angeles hotel room after agents produced a suitcase full of cocaine. So now he's charged with conspiring to distribute cocaine. And it was a sensational story. However, there was a problem. And this is where Larry gets involved, because you're probably like, what does John Dolurian, what could that possibly, how could that relate to Larry Flints.
Speaker 1: Now this part I do not know, So I'm very interested to hear this.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm about to educate you. Dylan. An anonymous sore sent Larry the videotape that showed the sting operation. Oh wow, so evidence, and it revealed what the FBI had done was entrapment. The tape implicated the FBI agent was not only responsible for supplying cocaine to DeLorean, but the undercovers had like coerced de Laurian into selling it in the first place. Yeah, or tried to encourage him to sell it.
Speaker 1: This is the FBI handbook. How many times, how many situations, how many huge stories in our history as a country have they done this very thing?
Speaker 2: Cough cough, Ruby Ridge cough cough. Okay, Well, they didn't have any real proof that John Delaurian was selling cocaine, and so the whole thing, I mean, it's just like suspicious the FBI set him up. The tape in Larry's possession ended up being broadcast on Sixty Minutes Why, which at the time was like an enormously popular show book, and like everybody watched sixty Minutes and this caused a media uproar. People were like, what the hell is going on with the government, the FBI.
Speaker 1: Isn't it crazy to think back when these large news shows and organizations newspapers actually did investigative journalism.
Speaker 2: Oh, they weren't just like ainion and propaganda.
Speaker 1: Machines and they would drop a dime, they would bust these huge stories.
Speaker 2: And objective journalism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because that's damn rip and that scare you because that is so important for a truly healthy, functioning society.
Speaker 2: I agree, Dylan. All I ever wanted to be from the time I was a little, just a little sprout with my little toe head run ground. I wanted to be a reporter. I wanted to be a journalist, and I would make little fake newspapers and interview my neighbors and write articles and then try to sell my newspaper to my parents for like a quarter. Yeah, it's all I ever wanted to be. So yeah, I find it deeply disappointing that we don't really have news anymore, that it's all just pop propaganda and it's bullshit. It is, but it's like biased and they don't present a true story, and it's just ridiculous. What passes as news today.
Speaker 1: It's entertainment, right, entertainment news. But the one bright spot we'll get back to it. But the one bright spot is with the this billing journals, the citizen journal journalist online, and I mean.
Speaker 2: Surely is probably like some kind of sip or whatever, but he's probably a fed but like I mean, at least he seems to be kind of doing a bit of that. And of course you have podcasters and grounded News is a really good They need to support our show, but they kind of like, let you know, hey, this is real, this is crap. Read this, don't read this right. Well, there's another audio tape that Larry got his hands on, but it wasn't very clear because it's like a cassette tape. The technology back then, I mean, obviously cassette players. You're recording a conversation, it's kind of shitty, staticky.
Speaker 1: Well, especially if you try, if you make recordings of the recording rush shit like that.
Speaker 2: So there's this audio tape that Larry has and it's just kind of floating around out there, but it also is evidence in this Dolorean case. So the judge presiding over the case ordered Larry to produce the tape, which had mysteriously gone missing according to Larry, and that Larry was to appear in court, but Larry refused to do so. Larry was arrested because he's like, I'm not coming to court. I'm not revealing my source and I'm not handing over the tape like I'm protected as a journalist or whatever. So Larry's arrested, but still he resists. Larry was like, you know, fuck you, You're not getting the tape. He refused to give up the source, like he's just doubling down. The more this judge is like, I'm gonna punish you, the more Larry's like, I'm ready smack me, big daddy, step on me. Yeah, okay. So journalist's ability to protect confidential sources is often known as like a journalist's privilege or a reporter's privilege. In the United States, it is not an absolute right, and the level of protection depends heavily on whether the case involves state or federal law. And since this is a federal case, obviously the judge is like, yeah, you don't have you don't have that, you don't have protections. Oh shit, right when Larry argued about his right to protect his source. The judge ordered him in contempt of court and find him ten thousand dollars a day for every day he did not produce the tape. Damn and now always true to himself, Larry pulls a number from the old playbook and he decides he's gonna pay his fines in one dollar bills. So what does he do. He brings in one dollar bills ten thousand one dollar bills and just dumps them out in the courtroom like out of a garbage bag, like here you go, fine.
Speaker 1: Paid, dude.
Speaker 2: He's such a like back in the day when he rolled the pennies into the bank.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something the pt Barnhum element of Larry the showman. Oh he's a showman, right, but it's really smart and and shrewd actually, because back then with the limited you know, news outlets and things like that, just making this big spectacle, it would be everywhere. It'd be in all the newspapers, all the major news shows, everyone would be talking about something like this.
Speaker 2: Well, the following day, Larry was scheduled to be photographed by famed photographer Annie Lebovitz and in these food in these photos, Larry is nude draped in an American flag. Because Libavitz is known for like, you know, pushing the envelope. These very uh, I guess you could say editorial, very stylized photos portraits.
Speaker 1: Okay, right.
Speaker 2: One of my favorites is of the portraits she did of Meryl Streep where she's just like wearing this white face makeup. It's really cool. Anyway, So Larry's due to reappear in court that same that he's got this photo shoot scheduled. So he decides, well, he's got a little something of his sleeve, right, so he decides he's gonna take this flag with him. Larry rolls the flag up and you know, rolls into court in his wheelchair and he's wearing the American flag fashioned as a diaper.
Speaker 1: Now, this is one of the scenes I remember from the movie.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, Dylan, if you've seen The People Versus Larry Flint, this is one of the like probably most widely known scenes from that movie. Is Woody Harrelson wearing the American flag as a diaper and Larry actually did that.
Speaker 1: I mean, the balls on this guy, Well, I should.
Speaker 2: Can imagine this was outrageous and people were not happy, including the judge. Larry ended up speaking with the judge without incident, but on his way out of the courtroom, Larry was arrested for desecrating the flag. During the arraignment for this flag charge, Larry had an outburst in court and this caused him to be sentenced to a fifteen months stay in a psychiatric facility.
Speaker 1: Damn, so he's.
Speaker 2: Been pushing his leg a little too.
Speaker 1: Much, Dyne, Maybe you could have done without the flag stunt.
Speaker 2: In nineteen eighty three, Larry underwent surgery which would alleviate the chronic pain he had had since being shot. And it is successful, you.
Speaker 1: Said ninety three, eighty three? Eighty three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry, I thought I said eighty three. But in eighty three, so he undergoes with surgery and so finally, like for the first time in years, Larry is able to like function with you know, pain free, without all out the tripioids. Yes. Now, that same year, Larry decided to shock the masses with the ultimate publicity stunt to promote his new magazine. It's a news magazine called Rebel. Larry threw his hat in the ring to run for President of the United States. So in December's nineteen eighty three issue, Larry appeared wearing a Larry Flint for President campaign t shirt with a big caption that says, who will be our next president? Now? All the while he is still locked up at this psychiatric facility. While he's doing all of this, really, yes, he Now, in this December issue he calls out President Ronald Reagan and calls him quote a dumb, fascist, bigoted motherfucker. Well, Larry, I might hate to tell you, but just hold your horses, because a lot of people will will have more to say in a few, you know, decades about another president. Now, when Larry is finally released from the facility, which by the way, he does not have to spend the entire fifteen months in the facility, he is released early, Larry takes it upon himself to send every member of Congress, every Senator, and the Supreme Court justices subscriptions to Hustler Magazine.
Speaker 1: Nice, yeah, what, I bet more than one to him up on And by the way, I.
Speaker 2: Checked into it. And you can actually get yourself a year subscription to Hustler Magazine for like eight ninety nine.
Speaker 1: For the physical magazine. Pretty sure, Yeah, eight dollars ninety nine cents.
Speaker 2: I was thinking we should get we should get.
Speaker 1: A subscription due we should just keep a stack of hustlers on the coffee table when people come home. Yeah, people be like, what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Well, I was thinking we could also gift subscriptions WO to my dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd be sweet.
Speaker 2: Maybe one to your mom. Your mom would probably think it was funny.
Speaker 1: She would now.
Speaker 2: By fall of nineteen eighty three, Althea is experiencing serious health problems. She was addicted to drugs, yes, but Larry felt like there's more to her declining health, right, so he urges her. You know, Althea, I don't think it's just the drug use, Like, you really need to go see a doctor. After a series of tests were performed, it was determined that Althea had contracted AIDS. Oh shit, AIDS in the nineteen eighties was a death sentence, and as we know, the AIDS at pandemic of the nineteen eighties was both a medical catastrophe and a profound social and political crisis. People were initially dying from a disease that doctors didn't yet understand, and many institutions were painfully slow to respond. Tens of thousands of Americans died from AIDS during the decade, and it was a global epidemic.
Speaker 1: You know, some people say that the main medicine they were prescribing back then were actually killing people.
Speaker 2: Does that surprise you?
Speaker 1: And guess who had a big hand in this epidemic? Faulci Fauci wasn't it?
Speaker 2: Was it Fauci?
Speaker 1: Like I thought, so I cannot.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure it was him.
Speaker 1: I plead the fifth. I want to reserve my right to.
Speaker 2: Sell your diary. Kim Kardashian, he's my friend. Yes, fucking piece of shit guy anyway.
Speaker 1: But yes, it was Fauci. But yeah, I mean at Dallas Buyers Club that.
Speaker 2: If you watch that movie is so o moving, visceral, very tragic. I mean, it's like a movie that really like left the mark on me.
Speaker 1: But it's true. People were trying to circumvent.
Speaker 2: The Ryan White story.
Speaker 1: Trying to circumvent the America's system to get these access to these other medicines that people who took them claimed had a lot more healthier impact on the disease.
Speaker 2: And that's what I guess today. I understand they're like medications and it's not a death sentence in twenty twenty six. But the fact that the HIV doesn't even come up anymore. Know that when you're talking about safe sex and you know, birth control options and protections, like, people don't even mention HIV venereal disease. And I know we've discussed this before, but just we grew up watching people die. I mean we you know, I knew people who died of AIDS when I was a kid. Right, It's just mind blowing to me that it's not part of the conversation. I mean, fifty percent of the population in Atlanta, Georgia has HIV. It's got like one of the highest rates of HIV in the country.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yet what's being done about it.
Speaker 1: Nobody even talks.
Speaker 2: Nobody even talks about it. It's like not a big deal. And I just don't I can't understand that they.
Speaker 1: Just show prep commercials if you're poor enough to have ads on your streaming service, which is true, which it's crazy, dude. So we've been trying to trim our streaming because everybody knows it's out of control, the pricing if you have multiple ones. I mean, now what's the difference than me having a cable bill. I mean, it's all that.
Speaker 2: Well not only that, but I just feel like they're not updating content, They're not fast enough, and like some of these services, especially the ones that seem to charge most money, Like I don't know, Netflix are the stalist. It's like the same shows that have been on there for ten years, the same movies that have been on there for ten years.
Speaker 1: It's true, like toob is fresher than fucking Netflix. Yeah, and it's free. But anyway, so we're ending up with the lower tiers the ads and some are more aggravating.
Speaker 2: I don't even care because it's like I'm so bored with like streaming anyway. Yeah, I know that I don't even care to watch the prep commercial over or or the psoriasis medication commercial.
Speaker 1: That's what's crazy. That's the only people paying for this advertisements are is the pharmaceutical industry. Yeah, and it's really weird to me.
Speaker 2: It reminds me I need to check my A one C right you too? Now, althea getting this diagnosis, you know, she felt hopeless and she just snds further into a drug spiral.
Speaker 1: Well, I could I could see that from her point of view, like, why does even matter? Now? I'm gonna die.
Speaker 2: November of nineteen eighty three, Hustler decided to run a satirical like parody advertisement mocking televangelist and conservative activist Jerry Folwell.
Speaker 1: Wow, they were always around the edge of all these big things happening in our society. Okay, I mean growing up, I remember all this stuff, right, well, yeah, Fallwell and the Bakers and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: That's one reason why I like, I mean, there's a lot of reasons why I thought we should cover Larry Flint's story. He's a hillbilly, he's from the mountains.
Speaker 1: There's an assassination a time.
Speaker 2: But there's just so much and I mean, honestly, you know, you can be like, oh, he's just a snut pellar, but he's so much more than that, and he really has led one of the most fascinating lives I think. Right, So, this ad was a parody of a real Campari campaign ad that featured celebrities like being interviewed about their first time drinking the beverage.
Speaker 1: From what I understand, okay.
Speaker 2: The ad featured a picture of a young Jerry Folwell discussing his first time, but it's incest with his mother.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Jerry Fallwell was displeased with this joke. Not only did the ad insinuate that he was drinking campari in an outhouse, but that he also was having sex with his mother.
Speaker 1: What is campari?
Speaker 2: It's some sort of liquor spirit. It's a beverage, dylin. Okay, it's an alcoholic beverage. I have no idea because I don't drink it, and I don't even know anybody who.
Speaker 1: Drinks CAMPARKI I've never even heard of it.
Speaker 2: Think it's kind of a thing of the past, right, But I'm sure you can go to some hipster bar and they'll try to give you some like campari with like a side.
Speaker 1: Of activated charcoal and like a.
Speaker 2: Basil ice cube or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you have to blow through this stick into the drink to activate the little gold fishing side.
Speaker 1: What are you doing, man, The chemistry's not even done, dude. You gotta let that drink breathe for like forty five minutes before you drink it.
Speaker 2: Okay, moving along time, So, Jerry Folwell filed a forty five million dollar lawsuit against Larry Flint and Hustler magazine. Fallwell seued Larry for libel, using his image without consent and causing emotional distress. Now this is this is again. If something embarrasses you, why do you go to great links to let even more people know about this humiliating thing that embarrasses you? Because Jerry Folwell sent photocopies of the parody to one million of his quote prayer partners.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, that makes sense. Yeah well, And honestly, someone like Fallwell, he was a fucking sleeze bag. I always thought, even as a young person, he seemed gross to me, and he certainly didn't seem to be a true man of God or anything like that. But it's probably a money grab for you know, a tempted money grab as well, because you sufered this forty five million back then is a crazy amount. It's a crazy amount now well backgain.
Speaker 2: It's like one of those lawsuits where you know, Fallwell like hoping he can bankrupt.
Speaker 1: Hustler bankrub them or for millions of dollars. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Fallwell holds a fundraiser to pay for his legal fees and raises about seven hundred thousand dollars Jerry Fowell then hires Bob Guccioni's lawyer to represent him, and Larry is like, oh, so you're gonna hire the guy who defends a pornographer Fallwell to defend you against a fellow pornographer, even though pornography is so bad. But you're going to hire a lawyer that is basically Bob Guccion's like personal attorney, right right, So he's like, isn't this ironic or hypocritical or don't you think what? Yeah, maybe it's all the things. Now, Larry featured Fallwell and his lawyer, this guy named Grutman as asshole of the Month in Hustler magazine. This was a regular feature and it kind of picked on different folks, so he nominates them for Asshole of the Month. Larry pokes fun at Fallwell for taking little old ladies social Security money through his television ministry, which of course really pisses Fallwell off, Like, how dare you they want to send me that money?
Speaker 1: Like you send one thousand dollars now we can have a prayer circle.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, he's just like, you know, here, you are predatory, dude, you know, asking like these little old ladies to send money to donate to your legal fund.
Speaker 1: For a suit that you initiate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, over a joke, right, I mean, whether you agree or disagree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty Larry.
Speaker 2: He's just like what the fuck you know, Like you're ridiculous. Larry filed a countersuit claiming that Jerry Folwell had infringed on copyright law because Jerry Folwell had reproduced the parody ad as part of a fundraiser without permission from Hustler magazine. And it's a very clever move on Larry's part. And look, I'm not saying what Larry did was right. I mean it's honestly juvenile, and it is distasteful in my opinion, Like, regardless of how anybody feels about Jerry Folwell, Yes it's a joke, but I mean, come on, like incest with his mom, it's too much. It's like, okay, I mean, it's not even it's not even really that funny.
Speaker 1: It's not even that funny. It's not even making moan.
Speaker 2: I guess at the time, maybe we're looking at it through a twenty twenty six lens. Maybe at the time it was so salacious and people found it funny. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, obviously shock value there, but it's not even that good of a parody of what Fallwell was and what he was doing or anything like that that clever. To be honest with you, it's really just shocking and right over the top.
Speaker 2: But I guess you know what it boils down to is, you know, does Larry have the right to do this? And is this protected under the First Amendment, which is you know, I mean, those are very very important questions, especially considering that our free speech is under attack and we may not have it in a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm always gonna have mine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: They can't never shut me up.
Speaker 2: They'll like, they'll cut your tongue out. Oh gosh, please don't now. The trial beginning December of nineteen eighty four, in a humiliating round of questioning, a lawyer asked Jerry Fallwell, quote, did you and your mother ever commit incest? Nice Fallwell categorically denies the accusation, saying absolutely not. At no point did I fuck my mom in an outhouse while drinking can party, nor outside of the out house exactly. I mean, that's again.
Speaker 1: That's great, that's on the record, bro I yuess.
Speaker 2: I mean it's almost like maybe he's a massacres, Like do you want to be humiliated further with this? Right? I mean, who wants to to sit in a courtroom in front of a judge and a jury talking about whether or not they fucked their mama?
Speaker 1: Now? Is this before Fallwhell's fall from in disgraceful fall from public life and all that.
Speaker 2: Well, he didn't really have a disgraceful fall.
Speaker 1: I thought he had like a mistress or something come out that was pretty greasy.
Speaker 2: Now, I think you're maybe confusing that with like Jimmy Swaggert or Jim Baker, or maybe Fallwell Junior. There was some story about Fallwell Junior and his wife and a pool boy that was just that in the last like ten years. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I thought Fallwell Feill No, not really.
Speaker 2: No, no, No, he went onto you know, Liberty University. I mean no, he was a he was a I guess a respected minister and all up until he wasn't.
Speaker 1: I may be thinking of because he was close friends with Baker when all that shit went down, one to Tammy Baker. Jim and Tammy Baker, Right, I think he was in that.
Speaker 2: I think you don't know what you're talking about, so you should probably just sit over there and look beautiful.
Speaker 1: Well, then sue me for slander. I don't know what to fuck to tell you. You can sue me for forty five meal if you won't.
Speaker 2: You're exhausting.
Speaker 1: I don't have it.
Speaker 2: You're exhausting.
Speaker 1: I don't have forty five dollars.
Speaker 2: You just stop, You're exhausting. So of course you know, he's like, this is all not true. I did not fuck my mom in an outhouse. I don't drink and PARI if I was gonna fuck her, wouldn't be the out house. And I'm just kidding, Senator Jesse Helms. I'm also an equally terrible person, testified on Folwell's behalf. And honestly, those of us who are from North Carolina might know the name Jesse Helms. And again, no, he's maybe not the best person.
Speaker 1: I thought he always thought he was a dirt bag.
Speaker 2: Well, he's a character witness for Jerry Fallwell.
Speaker 1: Well, that makes sense. That makes sense.
Speaker 2: Larry testified in his defense that the ad was a parody, as it stated at the bottom of the advertisement. Hustler had ran several parody ads in the past. Like one of those ads, for example, featured the Marlborough man like naked, lying in some hay next to his horse, smoking as if like.
Speaker 1: They had sex, he had fucked his horse, And did the Marlboro man have to go to court and say no, indeed, I did not fuck my horse.
Speaker 2: No, but the horse sued Larry.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Larry's point was like, we do this to everybody, and you know, take.
Speaker 1: A joke, dude, public figure.
Speaker 2: The defense attorneys argued the parody was too ridiculous to be taken seriously and no one would genuinely, genuinely believe that Jerry Folwell had sex with his mother in an outhouse. Larry and Hustler were found not guilty of libel. He was found guilty of emotional distress, though in order to pay Fallwell two hundred thousand dollars, Larry appealed the emotional distress ruling to the Fourth Circuit Court. That appeal was denied, so Larry took it to the Supreme Court because of course he did, yes, because he's not told the court, you know, fuck this court.
Speaker 1: Enough, damn I bet the justices are like no.
Speaker 2: But then tragedy would strike Larry. In the summer of nineteen eighty seven. Althea and Larry had been in bed together watching television when she tells him she's going to go take a bath. Larry couldn't tell really how much time had passed, but suddenly kind of realized that the water was still running in the bathroom, so he starts to worry. When their nurse comes in to check on Larry, he asks her, like, will you go look in on Althea? And the nurse finds Althea submerged in water. She wasn't breathing. Paramedics were called, but they were unable to revive her. Althea had died of a heroin overdose. Basically, she overdosed, went unconscious and then like you know, drowned, slash overdosed underwater. She died, Yes, she passed. She was buried in the Flint family plot in Lakeville, Ohio. Larry was devastated. In his book, he wrote, quote, how could I go on? What was there to live for? He went on to say, you know, he owned one of the most lucrative publishing empires in the world and was wealthy beyond his dreams. The Supreme Court would soon be hearing his appeal, an important First Amendment case that could change history, and that he was just a poor heill billy kid from Kentucky and has succeeded, you know, in every way imaginable. But that losing Althea, Larry felt life as he knew it was over because he lost his wife, his best friend, and his business partner. Larry saw Althea as his soulmate and this loss for him was just incredibly crushing. Well, I think he never truly you know, like recovered emotionally from losing Althea.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it sounds like she was his one and if you lose your one, you're never going to be the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And so you know, as much as people, you know might think Larry's just a smart peddler and whatever, I mean, he did genuinely have love for this woman. And people may not have understood their relationship, but it worked for them and they truly were like in love with each other. They were deeply in love. So you know, it's just a really sad situation. Oral arguments began in front of the Supreme Court in December of nineteen eighty seven. Alan Is Isaacman, Larry's attorney, addressed the court regarding the First Amendment. He argued that if Jerry Folwell, a public figure, can sue for emotional distress, that you know, this opens up a door for anyone in the public eye to be able to sue for emotional distress agerous president at any time, like if something, you know, if someone says something they don't like, they can sue for emotional distress. And like, how do you really measure emotional distress?
Speaker 1: Right? Right, right? It's a dangerous president and it's something that can't even be policed.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Larry won the case in nineteen eighty eight, and it was a huge win. Finally, around the same time, it was revealed that serial killer Joseph Paul Franklin, who we covered years ago on the pod if you want to go back and find that episode we cover his case, he confessed to shooting Larry Flint. Franklin was executed by lethal injection in twenty thirteen. In two thousand and three, Larry ran for governor of California during the recall of Gray Davis, and at this time there were a ton of Dalists celebrities running for governor, like I remember this. It was just a big mockery. There was like Gary Coleman, porn star mayor Carey.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: There was something, you know, like seventeen people running for governor. Most of them were like it was either like these dealerss celebrities or like unknowns. But at the end Arnold Schwarzenegger won.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Yeah, We're going to make California wacky times.
Speaker 2: Larry's slogan for this campaign was vote for the smut peddler who cares?
Speaker 1: I like it now.
Speaker 2: At this point, Larry is an aging, very wealthy businessman. He rolls around in a gold plated wheelchair. He increasingly treated American politics as another arena for publicity stunts, ideological fights, and attempts to embarrass powerful people, like in nineteen ninety eight, he offered money for like, you know, information and evidence about Bill Clinton's mini sexual exploits. He remained at the home of Larry Flint Publications and continued expanding the Hustler brand into retail stores, clubs, websites, videos, and television. He opened the Hustler Casino in Gardenia, California, Guardina, California. His fortune was later estimated to be more than one hundred million dollars, and in case she wondered how Larry fared in the election for governor, he received about seventeen thousand votes and came in seventh place.
Speaker 1: Nice, yeah, I would like.
Speaker 2: To meet the people who voted for Larry. Right. Larry Flint later directed his attention to Donald Trump. Before the twenty sixteen election, he offered one million dollars for recordings showing Trump engaging in illegal or sexually degrading behavior. The award went unclaimed. Then he dramatically increased the amount to ten million dollars for any information that would lead to Trump's impeachment. So, even in his late seventies, Flint had not lost his flare for shock value and going after politicians. In twenty nineteen, Larry Flint Publication sent some Republican members of Congress a Christmas card depicting President Trump lying dead in a pool of blood, accompanied by a joke referencing his famous line that he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue without losing supporters. Flint was pleased with the outrage it generated. As usual, Flint was surprisingly serious about some political issues. He was a staunch opponent of the death penalty, He supported same sex marriage and opposed the two thousand and three invasion of Iraq. He described himself as a civil libertarian. Free speech was especially important to him. His proudest achievement was winning the case Hustler Magazine versus Jerry Folwell in front of the Supreme Court. And in old age, Larry still lived like Larry. He operated from an enormous Beverly Hills office us used an extraordinarily pricey gold wheelchair, which cost eighty five thousand dollars nice. By the twenty tens, Larry's health issues had left him incredibly frail. He experienced more personal tragedy in twenty fourteen, when his daughter Lisa Flint Fuget died in a car wreck at the age of forty seven. Flint nevertheless kept working and giving interviews well into his seventies. He died in February of twenty twenty one, at the age of seventy eight. The cause of death was heart failure. So my sources for this three part series mostly Larry's autobiography, which was co written by Kenneth Ross, called An Unseemly Man. There's also a book called One Nation Under Sex, and then of course, various interviews with Flint, Vanity Fair, other publications.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow, what a character.
Speaker 2: What a character. So that is the story of Larry Flint.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. That was a very interesting story and a bit of a break from what we normally do. But you know, we have had some just horrific cases we've covered in recent months.
Speaker 2: You know, it's nice to have a little bit of a palate cleanser. Larry was obviously a controversial figure. There were crimes surrounding Larry. Not only was he the victim of a crime, crimes, but you know it was also charged with crimes, convicted of crimes.
Speaker 1: But I mean, he was a very big, big figure in some pretty major issues in our country for many years, right, And I have no doubt that he passionately. He felt very passionately about the thing things like free speech and basically your right to pursue the American dream.
Speaker 2: And fuck your mama now house if you want to.
Speaker 1: And while you drink campari, I betaris like what the fuck is catching strays? Bros?
Speaker 2: Like what the fuck do we did to Larry?
Speaker 1: Dude?
Speaker 2: The outhouse is like what do we do to you?
Speaker 5: All?
Speaker 4: I've been I've been taking people's ship all these years and some bet and you're gonna put me on blast street, all right till all right, So thank you for that, Heather, And then we will return with a more traditional case, I'm sure in the very near future.
Speaker 2: Oh, we had a case ready for next week. It is going to be, well, your your standard true crime case, and it's it's a sad one, but I think it's important to talk about. It's one of those cases I'm actually surprised doesn't have more coverage. Okay, it's a more recent case. So yeah, we got that in the works for you guys. Until then, we just dropped our midweek or sometimes week. Everybody's an expert. Go check that out.
Speaker 1: Yes, please do, and we'll have another edition of sometime this week, sometime this week, sometime this week. All right. So until next time, stay safe and we hope this podcast find you healthy and fed.
Speaker 2: No, no, we don't.
Speaker 1: Didn't you want people to be unhealthy and yell bitch?
Speaker 2: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 1: She wants you to be hungry.
Speaker 2: I'm the token khunt of this podcast.
Speaker 1: You are.
Speaker 2: I want people to run around saying, fuck this podcast.
Speaker 1: She wants you to just be starving? Why you listen.
Speaker 2: But I do want to take a moment to give a shout out to some of our awesome listeners out there, Carrie, h Courtney, folks who reached out and were like, look, we were starting to wonder.
Speaker 1: If you were coming back, if we.
Speaker 2: Needed to get a welfare check on you guys, So thank you for that. It's nice to know we're missed, and I have to appreciate that.
Speaker 1: I have to say also, in our little tiny Discord family, I got to say this right quick. They were having some very in depth discussions of Holly Alyssa Angie about the Clancy case and honestly making some really good points, okay about the case and some of the really you know, the details of that case. And I think maybe there's a little more to it than our point of view represented on our sometime this week. And I do find that interesting and I appreciate.
Speaker 2: Them, well, I appreciate different points of view, And I mean, I'm not discounting what other people's thoughts are subject.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying you were, and no.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, like you know, I do appreciate and always welcome, you know, opinions and different thoughts and feelings about the case. It is definitely a hot button issue. It is. It's definitely something people are debating and discussing heavily on social media. So it'll be interesting to see what the outcome of this trial is. And I'm always down to just, you know, hear different points of view and how people come to that conclusion.
Speaker 1: Speaking of our Discord family, if you're a patron and I want a link to get in our little our, our our it's a little family. Sometimes we talk, sometimes we don't.
Speaker 2: Someone's gonna have to send me a link because I have managed to get myself like kicked out of the server and can't get back in. Oh god, I've been trying for a few days.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, I'm goofy and I'm like not very technically savvy.
Speaker 1: So I think I can send you a link.
Speaker 2: So I'm just like what and just keep clicking, like why does it work?
Speaker 1: I think I can send you a link anyway, Just hit us up at Mountain Mers Podcast at gmail dot com and we'll get you in the Like I said, we'll get you in our tiny Discord family. They rock all right. Until next time, Bye Dylan, Bye,