Speaker 1: Check podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Friday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 4: And the man wearing Dennis Curran's old number six makes it too nothing With John Taylor, I was just gonna say underrated egg, deviled egg and Rick Dolly Wall.
Speaker 1: Now you're gonna go on the couch at eight o'clock tonight, sits down and let's put it in gears.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 4: Ten o'clock in downtown Vancouver from the Paul Carson Studio.
Speaker 1: Thanks for tuning in, folks.
Speaker 4: It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor, along with Rick Dolly weall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man that controls our director. The voice of God is Derek One.
Speaker 1: How are you, Oh, couldn't be better? Better than Zach Hyman? Oh Man, that's bad news. Feel for the guy.
Speaker 4: He had surgery. We assume it's on his right arm. He has had surgery. We saw him get hit yesterday by Mason Marchmant in the NHL's Western Conference Final. He went off, and it was one of those moments when it looked like an innocent hit, but you could tell by his immediate reaction that there was a big, big problem. He left and didn't return and was you know, he was on the bench without his equipment, on civilian clothes if you want to call them that, at the end of the game. So it looks like he's done for the playoffs.
Speaker 1: And Donnie's on his wrist. The surgery's on his wrist. I thought it was shoulder when I first saw, and then I found out this morning it's the wrist. This guy had ten hits Donnie last game.
Speaker 4: He's leading the NHL playoffs and hits. And I don't necessarily think of Zach Hymen as somebody who does that a whole lot, but that just shows you the level players go to when it comes to the state like a playoffs.
Speaker 1: Two goals won his last game, ten hits. I love this guy. What a great signing by the owners. When he was a free Asian, Canucks were in on him, they didn't have the cap space to get him, but I'll tell you, boy, he's been absolutely a great find for the Orders since they signed him out of Toronto.
Speaker 4: And you feel bad for him, no matter how much money he makes the famously or infamously, no matter how much money his dad has. You know, you're trying to win your first ever Stanley Cup title. Looks like he's and then is still might win, of course, and he would still get ring, but nothing like being there having taken part in the deciding game of the Stanley Cup Final. Inf indeed, they get there, but Zach him looks like he's done, done for the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Massive loss, massive loss for the Orders.
Speaker 4: So the Oilers win last night, for one. There's a lot of stories coming out of that game. Obviously, the big one today is Zach Hyman. But Burnaby's Ryan Nugent Hopkins a couple of assists, he has nine points, one of the most underrated players in the National Hockey League. Nine points in this series, maybe an outside shot at winning a cons My Trophy. Who knows. I'll tell you another story talk about the cons My Trophy. Miko ran It looks like he was gonna run away with it, but a week or two ago he hasn't scored in seven games as a couple of assists. I know this is unpopular and a lot of people will will think I'm out to lunch. I don't know about his effort level. I just watch them close that I don't I don't know if it's and you talk to the people in Carolina, they would probably agree with me. His effort level there was in question, and certainly people in Colorado would laugh given what he'd done did there and what he did against the Avalanche. This in these playoffs, But just.
Speaker 1: Just watch them, and Donnie, this is the playoffs, this is the final four. The intensity and the compete level goes up tenfold. If he's not competing hard, that's not good news for Dallas.
Speaker 4: Corey Perry's forty years old. One goal and one assist last night for the Orders. Like I say, folks, a lot of storylines out of that game last night. He's one of the few remaining NHLs from the legendary two thousand and three NHL Entry Draft, just chock full of players in every round pretty much that had great careers in the National Hockey League and Corey Perry front and center. And I can say one of the few players left from that, Brent Burns is still around playing for Carolina, but he's fifth all time from that draft in points. You know who's number one from that draft? I wouldn't have guessed it. Joe Pavelski, He's number one, follow by Eric Stahll, patrese Berg Roan and Perry's longtime Ducks teammate Ryan Getz left. Ryan Kesler was part of that draft.
Speaker 1: Great draft, first draft that was one of the best all time. The first round was, as you say, but Corey Perry, is there anybody better around the front of the net? Down? Look at the power play goalie scored? Where was he front of the net? Every time?
Speaker 4: That was a great play by Ryan?
Speaker 1: It was it was New Chenopolis. But Corey Perry. Is there a sharper, smarter guy around the net than Corey Perry? And he's forty he's sold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And getting back to that O three draft, you know again, I could look at hockey database with my hair on fire. Yeah, for twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: Ryan Kestler, I just mentioned him fourteenth in points, right, just mentioned Corey Perry fifteen points from that two thousand and three draft, two spots ahead of Ryan Kessler. I wouldn't have guessed this. Louis Erickson, Oh, Louis, his career was pretty good until until he got to Vancouver. Then he got to Vancouver at the airport and somebody stole his hands and made it made and his legs too and everything else. But what a performance by him. And tonight Florida with another opportunity to eliminate the Carolina Hurricanes. So it's Florida at Carolina tonight, three to one for the Panthers. And did you mention this? They're getting a whole bunch of players back. Then. Rhinehart for one, is.
Speaker 1: Ryan Art's back. They're getting all three guys that missed the career is back as well. Yeah, Sam, rhine Art's huge, He's such an important piece for Florida. He's back tonight, Paul Maurice reported.
Speaker 4: But as somebody doing a talk show, just loved that game last night with all those story lines and a lot of them, you know, Vancouver related.
Speaker 1: Did we Vacilly put Coles? Oh?
Speaker 4: I mean I had eight hits last night. I noticed him every time he was on the ice physical and close to thirteen minutes of ice time he crossed the blue line once done last night with authority, went to the middle of the ice.
Speaker 1: Where was this Vacilly pud Colson a Vancouver Well, different role.
Speaker 4: I guess when you're picked that you know the team that picks you tenth overall expects a whole lot from you offensively, So different role there. And I've said this before, I have respect for guys like that who come into the league with big expectations offensively and realize and maybe it takes a trade or two to get there, that they have to change their game. And you know, he's staying in the NHL. He's not playing Tom six and that in that team. I think I noticed him. He looks like a bullet out there hitting people, and nothing wrong with the way he's playing.
Speaker 1: Good for him. He's a really good guy and as Bob Stafford told us, they love him. They love Pod Colson in Edmonton.
Speaker 4: But I don't think it would have I mean, for people who want to criticize the Cannucks, and lord knows, you know we do that, but it wouldn't have happened here. I don't think. I don't think it would have happened here. Speaking of the Cannucks, Abbotsford Cannucks, they host the Texas Stars, Dallas's farm team games one and two AHL Western Conference Final Thursday and Saturday in Abbotsford. And you know what, Rick, I was doing some thinking, Yeah, am I crazy here?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Well, I think you're gonna think I am head coach of the Abbotsford Cannucks.
Speaker 1: Manny mahold Yeah, many doing a great job.
Speaker 4: He worked for the Leafs under Kyle Dubas. Oh yeah, right, as an assistant coach. Apparently their buddies. Hey, who's Kyle in charge of right now? Pittsburgh Penguins. Do the Penguins have a coach?
Speaker 1: No? What do you say?
Speaker 4: I'm well, I'm just I'm just throwing it out there. You know, they haven't or maybe as an assistant coach.
Speaker 1: They haven't named the coach yet in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: I just, I just I my mind goes to some strange places and Manny Maholter in Pittsburgh is that a possibility? Will that be a regret for the Canucks and.
Speaker 1: Against Adam Foot. I've heard that there's a good relationship there between Manny Maholter and Kyle Duban. So I thought before show you thought it was crazy. I'm telling you I didn't say that, but I'm saying in Carbury too, all three of those guys were in Toronto together, you know.
Speaker 4: But you know what's one of the things that gets you a job. Obviously, performance gets your job with the National Hockey Hockey gets your job anywhere. It's relationships. Who you worked with before.
Speaker 1: Who do you know? Who you know? Who do you know? Who do you know?
Speaker 4: I just thought i'd throw that out there, speaking of Mike. So you had a problem with this, We've got the shot. I didn't have a by Ryan. Mike Sullivan, former head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins, won a couple of Cups with the Penguins. He bought a billboard in Pittsburgh thanking Penguins fans. We got the shot here right there, you go, thank you, Pittsburgh Cup family is forever Mike Sullivan. What a classy move. And you were wondering why what Rick Talkett didn't buy one? You know, second talking. The only ways that we want to show this is because you were going, I didn't talk it.
Speaker 1: Do this well. I didn't say that, but what I said is right, help me out here. I didn't say that.
Speaker 5: I said it was something along the lines that wouldn't have hurt talking.
Speaker 1: Nah, I didn't say that. Go put that back up. I want to give a little bit more uh praise, praise in love for this guy. And by the way, I googled how much is a billboard in PITTSB twenty five hundred a busy morning? Give her take twenty five hundred to put that billboard up? Twenty five hundred? How long?
Speaker 4: For how long?
Speaker 1: That? I don't know. Is it twenty five hundred a day or just twenty five hundred for the month. You did the research, it says twenty five hundred for billboard and Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: Trust me, Rick, I was not googling how much does it cost for a.
Speaker 1: Bill I did igled how much? So what is it for a week or a month? I'll do more research. Very nice get back to me. Very nice gesture by Mike Sullivan. H he won two cups in Pittsburgh and he wanted to thank the people of Pittsburgh. Sometimes you take a newspaper article out and you know a whole page.
Speaker 4: Well that those days are done. I think, why, well, if you do take out a newspaper page five people are going to see it.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, wow, why you from the newspaper industry.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Legacy got friends in the newspaper industry.
Speaker 4: No, but I realized this just then. Newspapers have made the move to websites still just so you know, Okay, when's the last time you read a paper?
Speaker 1: But five? No? No, wrong?
Speaker 5: Every week newspaper. Every week. I read the Langley Events.
Speaker 1: I do. I like to stay with what's happening in my neighborhood.
Speaker 4: Anybody with a thank you message to people.
Speaker 5: Know a lot of obituaries, but other than that, not much. I haven't read a newspaper in fifteen years. But listen, they are important. We got friends with the province. You got Paul Chapman, a good pal of ours.
Speaker 1: They're taking it okay.
Speaker 4: But the old days, you take out a page thanking people or whatever, congratulating somebody. A lot of people saw it. Now not so much.
Speaker 5: It's really too bad because that was one of the big pluses.
Speaker 4: You can still no, but you can still do it on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's not the same.
Speaker 5: Something commemorative like that, Like I've got a ton of old newspapers, big things like you know, playoff.
Speaker 1: Run around. I'm just gonna say, remember the posters in the nineties. My parents had every one of them on our wall in the basement.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, No, I mean somebody recently just won a championship and they hand it out like the commemorative newspaper. It might have been Philly actually with the Eagles the Commandment commemorative newspapers.
Speaker 1: Somebody said, you know, there's still nothing like having that.
Speaker 5: It said, like, you know, Philadelphia Inquirer, Eagles win, big photo and everything.
Speaker 4: My wife works at a high school at Archbishop Carney in Port Coquila. Last week, she says to me, or two weeks ago whenever it was when we had the talk at interview, she says, do you realize you guys are in the front page of the province. I mean a big deal about your Rick Talcket interview on the front page of the province. They get it delivered every day.
Speaker 1: How desperate are they forgot in?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that high school gets it delivered every day.
Speaker 1: In the eighties, a little Ricky used to wait at three thirty every day for the newspaper. Got Kurt to tow the paper and he would throw it. You wouldn't come in put it everybody. No, it was a big part of my day. Did you guys ever deliver newspaper?
Speaker 5: Ye?
Speaker 4: My brother was a sub manager Bingo in North Burnaby, and there used to be This is going to sound crazy. Do you remember the paper shack.
Speaker 1: No, I don't remember paper shock.
Speaker 4: With the paper we would the people who the kids who delivered the papers would wait for the truck to come drop off the papers at the paper shack. My brother ran the thing. That's how I got the job. And then you go about delivering papers to people. And then when it was collection day, this is just like like what would this is right up there with billets. You know, you're like at thirteen, fourteen year old kid going around people's houses collecting money.
Speaker 1: Five bucks whatever.
Speaker 4: But I mean somebody could have easily rolled me. Oh like, I mean like, oh, I'm collecting money.
Speaker 1: Door to door.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some people shoving, you know, they're slamming the door on my face. It was just it's just a different world. But the paper shack it existed.
Speaker 1: No, we just had a green box that put the papers in that way. That was a different air of the green box in the eighties, the pay better back then. Papers were a massive part of the seventh and eighties and everyone would get now everyone's just in their own self. Yeah, and you lead the way and googling stuff twenty four seven billboards and Pittsburgh. It's just not good. Get the papers back. Let's support these guys.
Speaker 5: You guys infamously were on a billboard recently, remember across from Rogers Arena.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Canucks off, Yeah yeah, the Canucks noticed. The Canucks noticed our billboard. Yeah yeah, I was told by somebody, Yeah they billboard.
Speaker 4: Okay, but yeah, electronic yeah yeah, but the paper shack papers. You know, our audience, there's gonna be a lot of people out there who remember this.
Speaker 1: The Royal Columbia and the News back in the eighties, beautiful paper, good people.
Speaker 4: My dad used to get the Royal Columbian because they covered lacrosse really well. Yeah, well really unlike the Sun and Province back in the day.
Speaker 5: Again, taking a dig at the Sun and Province as a little shot.
Speaker 4: Well they no, it was a shot absolutely Yeah. Well the Royal Columbia newest mister lacrosse, big deal, big deal, Yeah right, Sam Bellies, DTMZ, this was unusual first segment we've ever had, by the way, d TMZ, is it just me coming up in the eleven o'clock John Shannon is going to join us just after eleven. You know who I'm really enjoying. I have to ask John Shannon about John Bartlin played by Play Hockey and Canna.
Speaker 1: He's very good.
Speaker 4: He's very good, mister television John Shannon, do you agree with me here?
Speaker 1: Anybody? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, John was John's thoughts on John.
Speaker 5: He was formerly Montreal Canadians, played by play because we had him on at ten forty a lot of the time because he was on TSN at the time.
Speaker 1: He's very good. Big right.
Speaker 4: The Twitter guy coming up later this hour and up next to top goaltending because we're gonna our pole. Question is going to focus on goaltending today. Kevin Woodley Archer Sea Longs. What's happening with him that your dempco? Can you explain Stuart Skinner? A lot going on goaltender wise? Kevin Woodley from NHL dot com and Ing Gold Magazine. He's next. Thanks for joining us, folks. Donny Dolling the team.
Speaker 2: On check Donnie and Dollie.
Speaker 7: The team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories, or any other type of business assets.
Speaker 1: Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot Ca. That's sales at ab LA Auctions dot Ca. Love golf but hate the rain. Hideout Golf is now open.
Speaker 1: Located in the Sands Hotel on Davy Street. Hideout Golf as your new go to golf simulator bar, perfect for everything from casual rounds to competitive play.
Speaker 4: Hideout Golf has an exclusive offer for Donnie and Dolly listeners get twenty five percent off simulator time for your first booking.
Speaker 1: Just use the promo code Dad Dad twenty five. That's Dad Dad twenty five. Ready to tee up your next night out? Book now at a Hideout Golf dots eight.
Speaker 4: It is Wednesday, and all today's guests are brought to you by the Vancouver Canadians season home this week for a series against Hillsboro. The weekend Catch This weekend Catch a Friday nooner. Weekend Catch is cod Yeah, Saturday Matinee and Whitespot Family on Sunday, where kids get to run the bases after the game and Grasston cod Sunday is also Bob brown Bear's birthday and the first one thousand fans twelve and under receive a stuffy Now we understand, is that the C's mascot Bob brown Bear? Brown Bear?
Speaker 1: And what or whatever you said? What? What's the origin of that name? I well, I don't know. The only Bob Brown I know is a former GM of the Camera Blazers.
Speaker 4: Check out the full schedule, check out Bob brown and get your tickets at Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight seven two five two three two. We're joined now by Kevin Woodley from Ingal Magazine at NHL dot com. Kevin, thanks for doing this. How are you any idea about Bob Brown I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't. I'm actually a baseball guy.
Speaker 8: Baseball is what got me to sports writing and journalism, A little trip to every major league ballpark in the States in my early twenties and living in the car and all that stuff. What I really want to know, though, is whether Rick's gonna run the bases on Saturday with the kids.
Speaker 1: With Bob Brown Bear, my knee back, everything's out.
Speaker 4: Of happening, well, whole lot of seick ken. Before we go any further, you take that trip, which park stood out for the best, which for the worst?
Speaker 3: I met Ferguson Jenkins.
Speaker 8: He was a pitching coach for the Cup at the times, obviously at the time, the only Canadian in the Hall of Fame. On my I guess second stop, first stop, when you do a trip like that, has to be like cliche and all feel the dreams. That's where I went first, Then Milwaukee, then down to Chicago and met Ferguson Jenkins outside of a Cobs game after and bought him a beer at a pop just kitty corner off the sort of right field corner of Wrigley Field and have a signed ball up back in the office here from him and that and that was actually kind of it was kind of clicked there that like, hey, people actually get paid to watch sports and write about it. I met a writer from the Tribune at.
Speaker 4: The time, and here we are, And did anything stand out from a negative point of view?
Speaker 3: No, no, I can't. I don't remember positives from that long ago.
Speaker 8: I got to watch the Red Sox clinch the pennant that year, and because I was doing this solo, I got to get these great seats all over the place and I was, if I remember Cracker, like eight rows up behind home plate when they clinched the pennant that year, and that was a party, uh to enjoy.
Speaker 1: We're jealous. You only focus on the positive? Is what are you doing in the media, Kevin, Yeah, we're not.
Speaker 8: All negative, right, Like, come on, the truth is that was a long time ago.
Speaker 3: I can't remember anything.
Speaker 8: I'm sure, Like I lived in my car for three months. I'm pretty sure there were some tough times, but we made her through.
Speaker 4: Let's talk hockey. How to explain the ups and downs?
Speaker 8: Stuart Skinner, I would explain it in part through the ups and downs of his team in front of them. I mean they that first game in LA was worse than any single game they played defensively of their entire Stanley Cup playoff run last season to the Cup final. In Game seven, like fourteen high dayjer chances against almost five expected goals against. Like they're not built for their goaltender to have to bail them out playing loose defensive hockey, and they did in those first two games and so outcomes do incomes Calvin Pickard, who, to be honest, the Oilers have played better for defensively all season long. Like the numbers in terms of environment are there's a huge discrepancy. It's the same team, but they play totally different between those two goaltenders. So Pickard comes in, they play better defensively, they re established that game and by the time Stu gets back in the Vegas series, they're they're playing that way in on an every night basis. There's been a few blips, and I think the biggest thing for Stuart Skinner and listen, this is like full credit to him, like the pressure he's under, the spotlight that came with losing the job and all those things, he's managed to sort of re establish his game. And the strengths of his game are in zone, point to point, spot to spot goaltending. It's when you get him off the run rush that you have problems. Since he came back in let's say, actually not the first game against Vegas. He came backward from game four the Vegas series, So that's six games since they have given up ten high danger chances off the rush ten and only one of those was East West made him move side to side in six games. Six of them came in Game one against Dallas, and you saw what happen in terms of the score. So when they keep it clean off the rush in front of him, they allow him to play to his strengths. And against Vegas and Dallas, two of the best rush teams in hockey this year, they have absolutely shut down anything they've been able to generate off the rush. Nothing high danger. Last night it was all mid and low when they did get it off the rush. Stusa made some adjustments in his game. He's not getting caught way out of his crease on those rush chances. But for the most part, they're just not giving up the most dangerous types of rush chances like they were early in the playoffs, which kind of go away from the strengths of his game.
Speaker 1: He was a lot of your demp Go talk. You know, he's apparently on a trade board and everyone thinks he's being traded. But I don't know how you could trade the guy when they haven't even talked contract with his agent about possibly extending him. What's your feel about Dempko in his future in Vancouver? Well, I think.
Speaker 8: Both sides can say they want something to happen, but it's going to depend on what that number is. And I think Jim Rudtherfford said it like there's risk both ways. There's risk to the Canucks if they commit long term and big dollar for a goalie that has has had difficulties staying healthy, although by all accounts has sort of passed this injury as unique as it was. And there's risk on demp go side if you play this year out. Listen, if he plays this year out, is healthy, he plays forty to forty five games and plays at the level he did two years ago, like he's looking at Jeremy swam in numbers, like he's looking at the contract that everybody else has gotten as established, you know, high level number one goaltenders Jay Gottinger eight million.
Speaker 3: But if he comes back and has another season where he's not.
Speaker 8: Healthy or struggles to stay healthy, then what does that contract look like for him as an unrestricted free agent the next year? And so there's risk for him of playing out the season and having another injury plague year. And it's where the two sides come out on who wants to take what risk? Right, Like if them go's willing to play for less than that Swim and Ottinger ticket, then maybe there's a chance this happens. If the Canucks are willing to go to his to that type of number, which I don't think they would be considering what they've got lankin and signed for. Like it's all gonna come down to the number and who's willing to accept what amount of risk, and if it's clear it's not gonna happen, and that his camp and I have no idea whether they would be or not, sees that potential for him getting paid like the rest of the elite number ones in the NHL, and is willing to accept the risk of next season, then I as much as they're a bargain as a tandem this year, and it makes sense to keep him and have two elite goaltenders in a year where you're all in as far as you know after that, you probably can't afford to have him at eight plus and Kevin lankn In at four and a half.
Speaker 3: So it's be interesting.
Speaker 8: I'm as fascinated as everyone to see how this negotiation goes, because it's really easy.
Speaker 3: To say I want to be back. We want him back.
Speaker 8: It's sometimes a lot more difficult to find what that number is going to look like to make it happen.
Speaker 1: And then the another piece of the puzzle is where does Sealovs fit. He's a big reason why Absperd's in the Western Conference Final against Texas. He's been great in the playoffs, but he was great in the playoffs last year and then he struggled in the NHL. What's his future look like for you?
Speaker 8: Well, I mean to me, archeurs like he's showing what he can do at the national hockey level on both sides of it, right, Like, I think one of the hardest things that happens to a young goaltender is in the playoffs, your game gets broken down to the end degree, like in a way that it never happens in the regular season. And so the Oilers went to school on some habits he has on distant shots and traffic and traffic like he's not alone, like goalies will tell you it's so purposeful. Look at Connor Hellibuck when the screen numbers went up in the playoffs over the last two seasons and how.
Speaker 3: Much he struggled with it. Young goalies adjusting the NHL traffic.
Speaker 8: It's one of the toughest things they have to do, and unfortunately for our tours, that book got written as that series went on, and then he comes into this year's playoffs or this year's regular season. I can tell you that the Calgary Flames specifically had it outlined in their pre scout in terms of how they were going to attack him, and so it's one more thing that he had to figure out maybe faster, or teams were attacking more pointedly on him than they would have if he hadn't had that run in the playoffs last year. In terms of how much he figures it out, Listen like, it takes time. There are some tracking habits that I think I've seen signs of improvement.
Speaker 3: But the question is, like, do you.
Speaker 8: See the Vancouver Canucks, as much as they are all in on needing to win this season, in the next two seasons going into a year where Archer she loves is locked into a job in the National Hockey League as good as he's been in the playoffs, and even if those improvements are made, do you see any way that they lock him in as one of their NHL goaltenders, just given how last season went for him at the NHL level, I struggle to see that. I think he's perfectly set as a number three for you, and if he continues to evolve, and let's not forget like early in his career he basically lost two years of development to the pandemic and their inability to find him.
Speaker 3: A place to play during those two years.
Speaker 8: So you know he's playing some catch up now. On the game's played side, there's lots of skill, there's lots of talent, there's clear athleticism and interestingly enough, I'll pull out the props justin Pogey. I know the goalie coach in Abbasford. I hear tons of great things about when we talk about tracking and how archers tracks, diss and shots. I saw in one of the games after he came back up against Utah really staying over pucks and his tendency is to sort of pull off them and make saves and turn his head and sort of make saves back here, especially on the blocker side from distance. And one of the tools that I talk to our tours about them using, and I've been around the abos Ford heat.
Speaker 3: To know how much they're using it. But these things ooh oh, fancy goggles track optics.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 8: So somebody I know works with these, and so essentially what it does is it forces it. If you want to see the puck, you have to use binocular vision, and it keeps you down and on the puck and cutting off pucks in front of you rather than that tendency to pull off of them. And that's one of the tendencies that we've seen in his game, and I know he's used them. I'm not sure you know, honestly how much of a difference it's made, but you know, sometimes little things and new philosophies can help sort of find another level, and our tours seems to have founded here. I still don't think it changes, honestly, their plans for next season with him. I know he requires waivers, and even if he wins a Calder Cup this year, I don't know that he's a guy that teams are going out and claiming off waivers, because if you claim a guy, you got to keep him in the NHL. So I think he stays here as a three, and I think that's as much as it's not what he wants and as much as is an expensive three.
Speaker 3: On a one way contract.
Speaker 8: It's a pretty good guy to have as an insurance policy, as we saw last year.
Speaker 1: When does the next terminator come out? Kevin?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I'm clearly like trying to get apart.
Speaker 1: You're ready to go. You're ready to go, and listen.
Speaker 8: I play hockey a couple times a week against guys up to much better levels than I, and I pull these out for warm ups, and trust me, I get chirped to the.
Speaker 3: But listen. Some guy named Dustin Wolf uses them religiously. They use them in Calgary. Freddy Anderson uses them.
Speaker 8: I've got about eight or nine guys around the league that are using the They really sort of set your tracking in your head position for optimal tracking, and so I was encouraged to hear that they're being pulled out every once.
Speaker 3: In a while down in Abbotsford.
Speaker 4: Quick use the big words, Kevin. We're not that type type of show. You gotta dumb it down for us. They work, bottom line.
Speaker 8: Yes, yeah, well, I mean my performances at Monday night hockey being the exception.
Speaker 1: Yeah, being harder than yourself, Kevin, Thanks for that. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks guys.
Speaker 4: You bet Kevin Woodley NHL dot com in Goal Magazine. We didn't talk about I want to talk about Sergei Brabrowski.
Speaker 1: We ran out of time there.
Speaker 4: But yeah, uh, kind of a second level I would say, maybe maybe not second level cons my candidate. Oh, he's been great, he's been he's been really good obviously. Uh, Kevin Woodley, we thank him.
Speaker 1: Pole question.
Speaker 4: We'll introduce it next. It has to do with goaltending and the Canacks. Dani Dolly, the team on check.
Speaker 1: The may Side Resort is a bootique luxury resort like no other. Nestled on the bluff above beautiful Parksville Beach, this beautiful ocean front property pride themselves on offering a uncompromising fusion UH West Coast authenticity and bespoke luxury. Their guests have come to expect a truly personal experience where all senses are indulged. The setting is gorgeous, the memories last a lifetime. Whether you're looking for a panoramic ocean view or an on site fitness center, indoor outdoor pool, ocean front restaurant, lounge, high speed internet access, or the perfect place for your next corporate event. The bayside ocean front resort the perfect choice any time of the year. It's called two five zero, two, four, eight eight, triple three and buck your stay today.
Speaker 4: Wattling Dog Whole Question Time to introduce it. Visit one of Victoria's favorite pubs, The Wattling Dog, where you can enjoy twenty taps, twenty screens. You're on for the conduction UFC com sit and stay at the Dog Today.
Speaker 1: Ryan, get her up The Watling Dog. Pop pop questions that your Demko is entering the final year of his contract. What should the Canucks do with him? Should you trade him or extend them? Sixty three percent very surprised? Trade him and extend him at thirty seven over seven hundred votes. Ready happen, It's possible. Why would you be surprised at that? I just think that, look before you write them off. There's risk with the injuries, but there is also a possibility he returns to his old Veszna form. You trade him and he becomes a Vesna candidate again somewhere else. Then you're going to kick yourself and say, damn, we shouldn't have traded him. That's why depends on what you get in return.
Speaker 4: So the Cannucks go on and on, and Jim Rutherford has said he's going to try to get a top six forward.
Speaker 1: Or two or three. Yeah, through a trade. Well, what are you trading? What are you trading?
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe somebody who's been a Ves' A finalist in the past. You got to give up something, Okay, And given his injury history, I think it's risky. It's risky to trade him, it's risky to keep him. I think most Connuck fans, well, look at look at the results, we would agree with Ay, it's at the very least you have to contemplate it.
Speaker 1: Yep. But Donnie, this last twenty four forty eight hours, I'm not hearing the first choice by the cannuckstis to trade Demko.
Speaker 4: Don Well, that doesn't mean it's right.
Speaker 1: Despite him being on a trade board. The Canucks need to find out what his next contract is going to look like, don before they think of trading them. And they should find out before the NHL Draft contract what Demko is looking for. Don If he wants too much term and money, yeah, okay, see you later buy. But from what I'm told, Demko likes playing to Vancouver. He wants to win here. There's some UFAs that want to leave Vancouver. I'm not hearing he's one of them, But.
Speaker 4: That doesn't mean you shouldn't trade him.
Speaker 1: Right You got to find out first what he wants on a contract on before you go and try it.
Speaker 4: But you can't go and say we need forwards to we need top six forwards. They got drafted and then then when are you gonna give up a third round?
Speaker 1: Karvaki? Well ander first they said they wanted three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well so I'm not I'm not saying it has to be thatcheredwn, but I think you have to contemplator think about it.
Speaker 1: But if the team and the player want a deal done, then try and get some common ground. Who knows they might find common ground. We don't know that. And by the way, I'm told the demp Goo is healthy. There's no issues. He should have hurt that before. Yes, up this time last year he wasn't. But right now I'm hearing there should be no issues with him having a normal summer. He didn't have a normal summer last year, but I'm not hearing he's not going to have a normal summer and a normal right now.
Speaker 4: Trains are two different things. If the Cannucks believed in him so much. Why did they sign Kevin lancoln until a multi year deal.
Speaker 1: Well, because he was going to what he was going to. But the Canucks are also the team that a year ago panicked and they called Casey Smith's agent at the draft to Smith, Casey de Smith, Casey Smith, who's case Okay? Anyways, Casey de Smith, Donnie they called his agent because the demp Go wasn't on the ice yet at the draft. So they've been all over the map too. I'm so protect about that. I'm not protected. I just think that the people are jumping the gun on a demp Go trade. Let them talk contract, let them figure it out. If they can't come to terms on a deal, yeah, go ahead, move them. But I think there's a process, and the process starts with trying to figure out a deal.
Speaker 4: But given his history with injuries, I mean leaving games, you know, after a period or two.
Speaker 1: But in the fact, two years ago he was a a candidate, don a candidate, one of the top goalies in the national hockey teague.
Speaker 4: How about if you read it was that the year he played one playoff game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no no question, I'm with you. There's risk, No question, there's risk. I think there's risk either way. But you know, I'm a Connock fan. Some of them don't want to hear this. Maybe the Conducks don't want to hear it either. But when you talk about look Jim out the first.
Speaker 4: I don't if you've got the clip or not, but Jim Outhford said we're going to try and improve our team through trades. They don't want to do it through the free agent market. Well, you got to give up something and you got to amp would be you mentioned you're right, like with vlander lequramagine any everything's on the table.
Speaker 1: Everything right, everyone's on the table. But you're saying give up Demko. But you're sitting there saying it's a risk with injuries. What are you gonna get for a guy that's a risk with injuries? Yeah, yeah, no part of a package maybe yeah. But they have said, and I don't think I was hallucinating that they wanted to improve their team through trades. Yeah. I do believe before you talk trade with Demko, they are going to talk the two sides about a contract to see if they can get it done.
Speaker 4: Or you do what I want, You trade Demko for picks and prospects and you start that rebuild.
Speaker 1: Stop, which would be the way to go. And then you're going to be the guy that drives Quinny Houston the airport. Yeah, but you you might make all these moves and he might leave anyway. It's the risk, a lot of risk with the Canucks these days. There's a lot of risk in keeping people. A lot of risk here. I get that.
Speaker 4: That's that's and and the people that do a good job with risk take they're the ones that are in the final for the Stanley Cup Playoffs Memorial Cup. Rick Medicine had two unbeaten teams meeting last night in Ramouski. So Medicine had over London three to one. So the Tigers of Medicine had advanced to Sunday's final for the first time since seven Yeah, when they were beaten by Ka.
Speaker 1: Vaginants Giants Pacific Coliseum. Remember the shift by Milan lu Chic, You know you remember that. But anyways, Willie d Willie Desjardan Donni is on the verge. Well I shouldn't say that, but we're gonna wish him luck.
Speaker 4: He's one went away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Western Hockey that he hasn't won a Memorial Cup since twenty fourteen. Edmonton. Let's get in there for the good dub boys and win that cup.
Speaker 4: Last time. The Medicine had Tigers won the Memorial Cup back to back.
Speaker 1: Here Trevan eight, Trevor Lindon with Trevor.
Speaker 4: Lind I think Barry Melrose was their coach for the second year.
Speaker 1: West Walls. Neil Brady was there. Trevor Lindon was the reason they won those cops.
Speaker 4: He was great, certainly the second one were number nine, not number sixteen.
Speaker 1: And they came to Bank and then he came to Vancouver.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he couldn't get nine when he was I think Tony Candy had it, so he wore sixteen because he was a big Bobby Clark fan. But Trevor Linton want an outstanding junior, fine outstanding NHL players.
Speaker 1: We will never forget the day he arrived in Vancouver and his great career here. Absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was those old nineteen eighties yellow uniforms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right after and you're quiet today, what's going on? We're just reminiscing about the eighties. H eighties. It's the worst decade in the world for you. It's the best decade in the world for me.
Speaker 5: Uh, this is from JJ and new West the Landy's okay, tiring Laney the and Audogrov inbox. I would just love to hear how Rick would improve the Canucks. He doesn't want to move anyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, hold it a second, hold of a second, if if, if you can sign the guy, you're gonna try and so you so you guys don't want Dempko and Lanking it as a one to combo.
Speaker 4: Next year if they were close. Yeah, but Rick, who? So who are they trading?
Speaker 1: Jim Rotherford has said they're gonna make a trade, right the guy they got the first pick, take a trade, they can trade. Okay, I'd rather.
Speaker 9: Trade and a second over the first pickold, hold hold on, No, if that guy goes and becomes a Vezna Trophy winner again somewhere else, it's gonna be all, oh my goodness, we traded thatcher.
Speaker 1: He became great again.
Speaker 4: But if you keep him and he continues getting injured left and right, there's a risk thereout.
Speaker 5: That we talked about this earlier. Anyway, You know, people keep throwing around this first round pick. First of all, it's fifteenth overall it's literally in the middle, So what's your point. Second, every draft person we talked to talks about how weak this draft is. So if the draft is weak, then how does the fifteenth to ride all this value?
Speaker 1: How do you build teams through the draft? They didn't have a first, second, or third last year, so don't trade.
Speaker 5: But I'm saying as an asset though, I don't understand how Cannut fans feel.
Speaker 1: There's all this value. So the draft first round picks him back to back years, So what I gonna like? I disagree with it? Rick, I don't care. You know, maybe a poll question should have been would you rather trade? Damn? I trade Delco before the fifteenth overall pick. But I'm a rebuilt guy. I am going to say that I am not.
Speaker 5: I know you know all the storylines that come with him going into his final year, playing in the final year of his contract, especially in Vancouver. I need, I need. I'm not signing him to a contract extension this sum.
Speaker 1: How do you sign him if why can't you get it through your heads? If they talk and there's something reasonable and they come to common ground, why not how do you that? I'm not saying give him seven year. It's a gamble either.
Speaker 5: How many injuries did you say he had in thirteen months or whatever?
Speaker 1: Four or five? Yeah? Okay, and you want to sign him to a contract. He's healthy right now, Ryan, right now? Okay, yeah, okay. I mean you would not want to get seven or eight years? So how many years? Canucks are probably gonna want him? At three and he's probably gonna say no to that brought Then the Canucks offered best for five and he said no, he wants seven or eight. So what's your If you hold your line, you'll be fine. They're not.
Speaker 4: You might not be fine if you sign him to an extension, So you're the team is to get injured left and right.
Speaker 1: You think demp go on three years is too much done? No years, I've read how much he wants. I would be no, I forget I trade him like I think I had something for him. I'd be okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But that's but this is where this team is so stuck in the middle because we hear Ruttherford talking about how they're gonna do all this renovation on the roster, right especially this year with Hughes and all of that, But then at the same time, they're not that good to say. Can they rob their goaltending? Like do you want Kevin lankoln and archis he loves to be the tandem?
Speaker 1: Probably not. So they're trying to do two things. Why not if you're if you're tanking for Kevin McKenna, that a bad idea. They're not taking next year down.
Speaker 4: They got a they're gonna do is keep everybody and sallow.
Speaker 1: Donny's right, Rick, they got a ranchise defenseman that they gotta keep in town. You might go.
Speaker 4: Anyway, consider trading Quinn Hughes as well. We just talked about Trevor Lindon. They draft Trevor Lindon second overall, great draft pick. Sure they get a gift from God at the draft, Pavel Burry, they make the novel Forrest Dowley Cup Final. They draft Daniel Sadean and Henrick Sdein's second or third overall. Nineteen ninety nine. They make the Stanley Cup into twenty eleven. It happens, Donny built through the draft.
Speaker 5: You bring up to Sadeens. You know how much I love the twenty eleven team. Look at that team?
Speaker 4: Kesler three Burrows, Like all this Burrows is a free agent.
Speaker 1: But but developed. Yeah, right, that was the draft and developed team. And meanwhile, I just don't see how this team has this in the sea of mediocrity right now, Like watch this the playoffs.
Speaker 5: The Canucks are so far away, like.
Speaker 1: And and the sad part is that they weren't that this, you know, No, they weren't. They weren't. Maybe it was a mirage, but it looked like they were right there. They just came off a great year two years ago. This year stunk because the two guys couldn't get along in the dressing room. Had it screwed the whole year break? Yeah, we'll do the later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, are good friends at Able watches Big Right, He's next Donning Della the team on check.
Speaker 1: Our podcast is brought to you in part by birds Nest Properties, lower Mainlands leader in rental property management. From finding a tenant to collecting rents and property maintenance. Birds Nest Properties delivers five star property management services with the reviews to prove it. Bird's Nest Properties Sure Vancouver property managers who take care of everything so you don't have to own a rental property. Give the folks at Bird's Nest Property as a call today six oh four two six zero, double nine double five or visit birds Nest Properties dot C. Jess I had a big rye The Twitter Guy.
Speaker 4: This is from John in Gibson's Bob Brown sees mascot Bob Brown, historic figure on the Vancouver Sports a scene back in the day. Played for the Vancouver Beavers minor league team from nineteen oh eight to nineteen twenty two and was a key figure in baseball in Vancouver. He's a member of the BC Sports Hall of Fame. Bob Brown.
Speaker 1: There you go, all right, that's awesome, great text.
Speaker 4: Sees beat Hillsboro last time I think it was fifteen three, was like yeah, he was four, and they play again tonight.
Speaker 1: They won three in a row. Fireworks night. Yeah, last night, last last night. Yeah, Big guy, Big Gray, The Twitter Guy. Brought to you by sirih Mitsu.
Speaker 5: OBC. May is Outlander plug and Hybrid electric vehicle Days and time is running out at Surrey Mitsubishi all month long, save up to eighty five hundred off their most popular all wheel drive suv. The Outlander plug in Hybrid is whisper quiet, fuel efficient, lets you drive electric or gas, and can fit seven passengers in three rows of seating get a massive eighty five hundred savings until May the thirty first on the Outlander Plug and Hybrid at Surrey Mitsubishi. Visit them in store one three eight two zero one to fourth Avenue in Surrey and say how to Daniel.
Speaker 1: On the team.
Speaker 5: Oh, first of all, I got a scoop we were talking about earlier this week. We were talking about the latest with the seats. That hasn't been an update on the seats at Rodgers Arena in a while. So a source very close to the situation is telling me that the club section at Rogers Arena is nearly done. That's the lower area of the rich people. First, well, what else is new there? They built that fancy restaurant, then they gave them the new black seats before anybody else. Now the club section is going to get finished. And this is something we've also been speculating on that's now been confirmed, and that is that the railings are being painted black at Rogers Show. Yeahow, so they are actually doing the railings. I give them credit because I was very skeptical of that with the way they cut corners.
Speaker 1: But they are painting them black.
Speaker 5: As the rolling stones once saying, so it'll be all black at Rogers' Arena starting next season.
Speaker 1: So black seats, black railings.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like why, well, what color do you want?
Speaker 1: What the uniforms?
Speaker 4: Okay, so what you know they change them.
Speaker 1: Every two years. That's why this is the way to go. All right, we'll go with the black visa. No, no, it's just it's just neutral. Like yeah, just and but again I've harped on this before. It was an idea my dad brought up.
Speaker 5: Actually, I think as an odd to the past, you should have gone black seats and something else.
Speaker 1: Like do you old coliseum with the ram was blue.
Speaker 4: There was the blue, the reds were the expensive seats, and the blues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love that. You should have done something like green. So yeah, sure.
Speaker 4: The Madison Square Garden used to have purple and teal. Really, oh, it was awful. There's nothing to do with.
Speaker 1: The colors of the teams that played there. I don't think anyway it should be mentioned. By the way, you're not very impressive. That just went right over back.
Speaker 5: June the seventh is the next event at Rogers Arena. It's a concert at Rogers Arenas.
Speaker 1: So they have time to paint those railings.
Speaker 5: Well they got but I mean it is going faster here. They're gonna have to get that building done.
Speaker 1: When paid on all the railings, well you know, people start filing in.
Speaker 5: Francesco's got the overalls on.
Speaker 1: He's a little hat roller.
Speaker 5: Yeah, excuse me, sorry, I'm just finishing up here. Uh So, anyway, stay tuned for more details on the seats as we get more information from sources close to the situation. Also a reminder, we are now on the TikTok is It's call it uh. Follow the show on TikTok. Our handle is Donnie and Dolly. You could see show clips. There's a clip of Ray moving right now as we speak. It's talking uh show clips, behind the scenes clips, all sorts of things happening on our Donnie and Dolly TikTok and of course Twitter, YouTube, everywhere else. But the newest platform for us is TikTok.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 5: I know you guys are both on there, so you'll give us a follow.
Speaker 1: I'm not a TikTok guy. I got enough head of your newspaper guy. Why I missed the newspapers, no question.
Speaker 5: We haven't talked about your shoe choice.
Speaker 1: Today. Your shoe choice today, what's wrong with it? You?
Speaker 5: You're much like Derek today. You elected for comfort. You have crocs on today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm wearing crocs for the first time ever. I'm pretty excited about that. No laces, no la, that's the biggest Donnie nailed it. You just you slither in, you slither up. There's no there's no uh, there's no uh. There's lace with the running shoes you got always. Yeah, there you go. There's a shot of them. Derek's are white? Are you wearing sweatpants today too? I'm wearing sweat pants, are you? George's not like I'm wearing sweatpants. But these aren't mine. They're my older sons. And I just one day the early Bird specials at four o'clock. I just I actually accidentally put them on a few days ago. And four days ago the dog wanted to walk and I couldn't find my shoes on. Yeah, and I tell you, you've got the dog charm on them too, and the dog. I don't know what the what the charm? It's a charm, Eh, it's a charm. You seem to know a lot about crocs, but I don't own a parent.
Speaker 5: My brother has some uh my brother's wife wore them to their wedding.
Speaker 6: They I they are you know where a Croc expert is, Derek Dere Sure, Yeah, this morning I put them on in a way I went, we really need to open up the sponsorship opportunity to Donnie know?
Speaker 1: These sponsored by Crocs. See, I got I wear size twelve, you ice twelve Croc.
Speaker 5: It kind of looks like, WHOA very careful man, WHOA, We're gonna get in trouble very.
Speaker 4: Honestly, you could make your way overseas you.
Speaker 1: Want like a clown shoe? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll never wear them. I'm a ten and a half. You're not a ten and a half. You're gonna tell me what size shoe? I'm ten and a half right across the board? All shoes ten and a half? What size shape? Right across the board? Ten and a half? What size skate? Runners? An eight? Even in hockey skates. Skates are different though?
Speaker 5: What size skate? Did your son wear fifteen?
Speaker 1: Fourteen? He does?
Speaker 4: He and he wears Crocs. The other son, No, it's the other guy, The size fifteen guy does not wear Crocs.
Speaker 1: No, I accidentally put these on one day walking the dog and I fell with accidentally. I accidentally put them on. There was nothing else by the door, so I put them on. I love him, I love him. I'm starting to fucking justin in East Van. Who's our guy? Just very good guy? He asked on Twitter if we should sell Donnie and Dolly charms O the Cross? What Donnie and Dolly crocs? Well? Yeah, maybe, but maybe a size eleven and an under. Yeah.
Speaker 5: A lot of people are ripping you though, dude, sweatpants and crocs to work like you are mailing it in.
Speaker 1: Summer's all about casual, not at work. Hey, does anybody see my sweatpants? Dot or Ryan? All you've seen is above the waist and I look good?
Speaker 4: Have you ever eaten a block of cheese the size of your head and draped yourself in velvet?
Speaker 1: Look you get rid of the picture. I don't want my sweatpants showing there. But anyways, crocs, I'm starting to love them. They're good for walking the dog, all right, good stuff?
Speaker 4: Thumbs up in the cross.
Speaker 1: I was gonna get to Chris Block. We'll do it at eleven fifteen, Cod, I didn't get anything. You guys took it over with the Croc talk again, I watch it.
Speaker 4: We should mention you mentioned the Seas White Caps play tonight against Yes, went on their way to Mexico City.
Speaker 1: Yes for the game against kruz Azul on Sunday.
Speaker 5: And Yes, Prisrenson manager head coach Skip of the Caps on the show tomorrow. We'll find out if he's got crocs on. I'm next wearing them?
Speaker 1: Who? What if he was wearing them? Maybe? Who?
Speaker 5: This guy I'm gonna be very confident is not going to do his hit next in crocs. That's John Schennon. Maybe I don't know, me me up? Maybe he loved rocks. I don't know John. She is up next? Have you seen his size twelve croc? It's Donny knowing the check.
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 1: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast, and on social media. We'd love to get involved with your company.
Speaker 4: Called two five oh eight eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at checkmedia dot ca. All today's guests are brought to you by the Vancouver Canadians. So that includes John Shannon standing by sees at home this week for a series against hillsbro They beat the Hops fifteen today ever fifteen to four last night. This weekend catch of Friday Nooner, Saturday Matinee and Whitespot Family Fund Sunday kids get to run the bases after the game. Sunday is also.
Speaker 1: Bob brown Bear's birthday and the first one thousand fans twelve and under.
Speaker 4: Receive a stuffy Check out the full schedule. Get your tickets at Canadians Baseball dot com or call six h four eighty seven to five, two three two. Oilers go up three games to one on Dallas with a four to one victory last night. Here to talk hockey from one hundred percent Hockey the Podcast, John Shannon, John, thanks for doing this their How are you?
Speaker 10: I am very well, but I am not wearing my crocs today.
Speaker 4: Well we expect that from you next week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, next week, Hey.
Speaker 10: No problem, no problem. I got three or four pairs.
Speaker 1: So, oh my gosh, Wow do you wear them with sweatpants? Ever? Yeah?
Speaker 10: I don't wear sweatpants, Okay, why I'd rather wear shorts. I wear shorts if there's no snow on the ground, there's shorts.
Speaker 4: On sometimes even with snow and thing. We just had this conversation in the break preparing for your interview John Hey. Nine points in four games against Dallas for Ryan Nugent Hopkins, and he's a bargain at five point one two five a year. That's his cap hit. Can you see why he's one of Chris Knoblock's favorite players. Chris has gone on record of saying that.
Speaker 10: Well, I tell you what, this has been a great playoff for Ryan NuGen Hopkins, who did not have a very good regular season guys, and one of the reasons that the Oilers were I think inconsistent all season long was that Ryan's play was very inconsistent. You know his value to this hockey club when both Connor McDavid and Leon d Reiseidel are talking about him the postgame press conference is calling him the Swiss Army Knight, and he's one of those guys that no block can throw into any situation, power play, penalty kill, five on five, four on four. I mean, he truly has unbelievable skill for his size and he's not afraid to use his body either, which is which is has become a really positive thing for the Edmonton Oilers. It NuGen Hopkins' playoff comes at an unbelievably fortunate time for the hockey club and for Ryan and you're right about the You're right about the deal. It was a team friendly deal. He wanted to stay at Edmonton. It was an eight year deal that Kenny Holland got him to sign, and it certainly has paid dividends over the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: John, What a blow for the Edmonton Owners this morning. Zach Himan broken wrist surgery. Done for the playoffs. This guy is absolutely great. Last game two goals, one assist, ten hits, leads all players with hits in the playoffs. What a massive loss for the Oiters. It is.
Speaker 10: Because Zach has done again like Nugent Hopkins, Zach has really really elevated his game in the playoffs. But you have to wonder how then this team will do it. And what they have been able to do with a great deal of depth is play some quality hockey. Corey Perry went in, you know, the second shift after the him and injury on the power play, and next thing, you know, the pucks and then at forty years old Perry, you know, fills a bit of that void. You do have to wonder now as they fly to Dallas, the discussion amongst the coaches of what they do. There is a chance that Matias Ekhom plays in Game five in Dallas. Do you then go with eleven forwards and seven defensemen, making sure that Echom can ease back in? Or do you put Jeff Skinner in, who has played in the playoffs for the first time in his NHL career this year, but has not played since Game one of the playoffs. That becomes the dilemma for Chris Knoblock and his staff. My gut tells me they may go eleven and seven if Beckham's ready.
Speaker 1: To go, Yeah, that would make sense. What about the Canucks Depko's name first round pick Lacarra. There's so many names being tossed around these days of Vancouver. Do you see a big move coming in June, John and what kind of pieces could be offered up in Vancouver?
Speaker 7: I do?
Speaker 10: I think that, you know, there's I think that they have not been secretive about their desire to make trades to find a number two center.
Speaker 1: I think the.
Speaker 10: Question that you asked about she Lov's and his role in all of this, Rick is an important one. If they feel that Arthur she loves at twenty four years old, can make that next step, then I think think the discussions have to occur about what you do with that, your demco and have you grown tired as a team of Demko's injuries that have not helped his career. When he's healthy, he is one of the best goaltenders in the National Hockey League. The question is is when is he healthy? And so that to me, I think is the question that's having a great deal debate within the Canuck organization.
Speaker 4: Hey, John, you've worked at TV for so long. When we talked about this earlier regarding a question I wanted to ask you, but just your opinion of John Bartlett doing play by playing hockey AINT in Canada, I'm a big fan.
Speaker 10: Well, it's one that's pretty close to me, Donnie. I hired John to be the voice of the AHL Marley's when we were at Leafs TV.
Speaker 1: He was doing.
Speaker 10: Local cable hockey in Barry for the Colts in the OHL and his first full time paid gig was with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment when we had Marley games, and we had Maple Leaf games, and he did Marley's TV and he did Marley's Radio at the time. So I've known John a long period of time. He has grown into one of the best broadcasters in the country. I think it's funny. You've put a person in a place, and it takes a while in our business to gain a signature a style, and I think in the last two years and particularly this year, John has really developed a quality style and certainly has anchored himself as the number two guy at the network.
Speaker 4: And John, before I let you go, we haven't talked about this all week. Matthew darsh what did the Islanders c and m He's their new GM.
Speaker 10: Well, I think there's the concept is that a a new voice outside of the organization, which I think is important. The other part is that you know, he he gives them a ton of organizational stability. Let's face it, if you have worked in the Tampa organization and been around Steve Eiserman and Julian Breezeboaugh, you know there are certain ways to do things. I would hope that Darch has been a sponge. I'm told he has been a big sponge of information and quality and we'll bring a little bit of that to an organization on the island that despite lou La Morello's desire to create stability, it really hasn't come to fulfillment. There's still lots of questions. How to manage contracts on Long Island, how to manage the coach Patrick Waugh and Matt Matthew Darch has his hands full right now, but he's going to be finally given an opportunity at that, you know, that elite level of being a general manager in the National Hockey League. And don't forget Lil Lamarrell is still going to be around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, outstanding hit despite the lack of crocs. Thanks for this, John, We appreciate it.
Speaker 10: Just for that, I'll work two pair of crocs next week.
Speaker 1: Beautiful sound so good. Thank you for that.
Speaker 4: Thank you for that, Thanks John, John Channel one Hockey. He had Keith Pelly on this week from mail c the give me your Boss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well the old CFL boss too. Yeah all right.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions are title sponsored. Considering closing your business, not sure how to get everything sold, and you're building emptied, let the experts at able auctions. Help Able Auctions has been helping business owners and managers sell surplus equipment, inventory and vehicle fleets.
Speaker 1: In a timely and orderly matter for decades.
Speaker 4: Just send a quick email to sales at able Auctions dot ca to get started. We'll get right back to you with some ideas and options. Quick, easy, free and absolutely no obligations. That's Sales able Auctions dot ca. A Sales at a b L E Auctions dot se A. We'll talk about Chris Nonblocks look alike and update the poll question next. Donnie Downy the team on check Dolly and Dolly.
Speaker 7: The team is supported by able Auctions dot CA. Closing your Business where you can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 1: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner. Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions, to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email sales at able Auctions dot CA.
Speaker 1: That's sales at a b L E Auctions dot ca.
Speaker 4: Wonding got poll question? Visit one of Victoria's favorite pubs, The Dog where you could have joy twenty taps. There's twenty screens as well. You're home for the Canucks in UFC.
Speaker 1: Come sit and stay at the dog today, wreck Ryan, get her up, waddling dog po poll question Thatcher Demco is answering the final year of his deal. What should the Canucks do with them? You either trade them or extend them? And six do you want percent? They trade them thirty nine percent, they extend them thousand votes. Ready's hopping, it's popping, it's not stopping. And uh, there you go Thatcher Dempco. It's a big summer, Donnie. They can sign Thatcher to an extension on July.
Speaker 4: First, which you want. You want to keep this group together?
Speaker 1: Stop it, I says I. If you can get them for three years decent money, why not if you ask for seven or eight million, If you ask for seven or eight years, you cut bait, simple as that.
Speaker 4: But even so that just with the injury concerns and the fact that you probably get something decent for him, and you've gone on record as saying I'm going over old ground here as saying you want to make trades in order to acquire some forwards to help you out up front, might not, might not be a might not be a bad idea.
Speaker 1: I agree. You just told me that he's got injuries galore. What are you gonna get for a guy you don't think the other teams know about his injury history? What are you gonna get for you want to sign it to a lucrative car. I never said that. I said, yeah, you brought this up.
Speaker 5: You know that two years remove from Vesna, that there's a team out there that would sniff that, or that would.
Speaker 1: Be talking about that. Philly is a disaster for goalies size twelve, cross that would take a look at that. Don We have ten and a half. Donnie's twelve. But listen, uh, there are teams that are gonna want them go. He tes to me a chance, right, take a chance on him, take a sniff. Where'd they go? I don't know.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, I'm just saying, if you're running for now being, you want to roll the dice on another player, Hold on Peterson guy.
Speaker 1: You guys are no worse than Canucks twitter O. Denko has got a million injuries, so let's trade him. Let's trade him again. I boat load back, not a boat No, not a boat load. It'd be great. Okay, not fload, but if every way, If you guys know he's got injuries galore, you don't think the other thirty one teams in the NHL know he's banged up.
Speaker 4: But you you, you know that, you know his injury history better than anybody. If your conduct management, you want to sign him to a big deal.
Speaker 1: I told you he's healthy right now, there's nothing wrong. He's gonna have a normal summer, right okay?
Speaker 5: Would you consider him an asset with positive value for the Canucks right now?
Speaker 1: I would consider him a guy who won the VET or almost I would say, yest season. I will tell you both, if he returns to his vest of form, you two gonna have egg on your face. Sure, that's fine, that's gigg Okay, I'm fine with that. And what large size? Eg? What if they what if twelve? Yeah?
Speaker 5: What if by some miracle they get top six forward that turns out that as part of a package, but turns out to do really well here in Vancouver, Then you could see a.
Speaker 4: Demo in the fifteenth overall pick. Yeah, I don't want If I'm the Canucks, I don't want to trade away that pick. But maybe it's part of the package. You know, they're trading that pick.
Speaker 5: I know, like, just what did Drant say to you guys on Friday?
Speaker 1: It's bringing a hole in their pocket? It is, He's right. Okay, so back to back years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I totally disagree with that.
Speaker 1: What does your farm team look like in two or three years?
Speaker 5: Okay, you know what they would say to you. Yeah, but we're in the Western Conference final, the colt A Cup playoffs.
Speaker 1: They're in the Western Conference final. Have you checked the Abbey roster. It's not a ton of draft picks in there. There's a lot of guys they got in n Cuba, in Europe. Yeah, you know, the guy veterans. Yeah, a lot of the guy leading Absburd is a guy they got from Europe, Sweden, and that's the guy. It's not a draft pick. It's not a draft pick.
Speaker 4: Look at the blue line, isn't it Sammy Blaze, Sammy Blaze, Carlson, I'm talking about goals.
Speaker 1: You got these leads semi points, I know, but it's a it's guys. There goes a little theory there. It's not draft picks leading the way down there. It's it's veteran, right, American Hockey League guy and they're doing a great job. So so do you want where draft picks are not? I don't want them to trade the first and back to back or Donnie don't make first. They didn't have a first, second, or third last year. Yes, there is gonna be one guy that makes the NHL from the draft last year. Let's just sum this up.
Speaker 4: They have said Jim, but Theford has said they they need to make trades and they don't want to go with U face, which is your music to the years of everybody in Vancouver, knowing the conduct's history. They have to trade some Dempco. They have to trade something, something the fifteenth overall pick.
Speaker 1: They've said that maybe maybe Connor Garland, maybe we'll lander. But here's the thing done. If there's nothing on July first, that interesting. But here's the thing that there's at least six other teams looking for a second line center like Vancouver. The market for centers is absolutely loaded. It's not the Cannucks aren't the only team looking for a second line center.
Speaker 4: There's so you just give up.
Speaker 1: Well, it's gonna be expensive, it's gonna they're gonna have to pay through their nose. So what's your plan for the summer. The plan for the summer is where it is, croc crocs and sweatpants, crocs, sweatpants and the tank tops. But listen, But the bottom line is they unlike you, I don't want to rebuild because Quinn Hughes he's gone, but he might.
Speaker 4: Go anyway, Rick like like like I said, I and I'm not the only one he might consider trading him.
Speaker 1: Who Quinn Hughes? Yeah? Oh stop, I mean, I totally agree with Donnie here.
Speaker 4: Everybody great.
Speaker 1: They had they had ninety points this year. You guys are acting like they had sixty or seventy. It's a great year. You're right, Donny, you're acting like they had sixty or seventy points. Ye had ninety and they would have made the playoffs in the East. What do you think Rick Tockett thing? What do you think what he thinks? He left? He left because there was no practice going here. There was no practice facility, and that's on the owner. That's the only reason he left. That was one of the reasons. And the owners should be shameful that a coach as good as talk it. One of the reasons you left is there's no practice facility. It's embarrassing.
Speaker 4: That's the only you think that the he saw promise with this organization practice facility or not you.
Speaker 1: Think he had left. He left because he knows Quinn. Most likely he will leave in two if he signs for five and then he screwed. Uh, he doesn't know how long Rutherford's gonna be here. A new GM comes in, a new coach comes in. Everyone wants new guys.
Speaker 5: But to Donnie's point, then why don't you get ahead of this huge thing?
Speaker 1: Now? Like what are we doing? You're gonna you're gonna go all in trade all this stuff. They're doing everything in their power to keep the franchise. Defenseman, why can't you who might leave it after two seasons? He just said it.
Speaker 5: The coach left in part because he doesn't think he's sticking around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rick, what do you like? Look get the reaction, and I think the reaction is really soft and light.
Speaker 4: They didn't get anything for Bester. They got they got maybe maybe be a suitor as well. No, they didn't get anything for I know, unless he returns.
Speaker 1: Well, so don't rule that out. But I mean they got if you watch, they got nothing.
Speaker 4: From getting nothing for Hughes.
Speaker 1: Well, if you leave that, that won't happen. If Quinn Hughes says he you can't, he says, I'm gone, they'll trade him and get a boatloader.
Speaker 4: What what if there's the possibility of getting two home playoff dates?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well in a couple of you gotta gotta keep him right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's insane, but it's not something that you can completely rule out.
Speaker 1: Donnie's right. Rather, you're said, we're gonna try and make us We are gonna try and build a good team for next You say us, No, not, I did say us. He said we're gonna try and get better from ninety points. So maybe they go to ninety six to ninety eight. But what I'm saying, they're not thinking reocrity.
Speaker 5: But again, though they get ninety points media because Rick, it gets to the point that they keep hammering home we want to get to the playoffs, like that's an accomplishment. No win a Stanley copp So great, you get ninety six points, you're in the first round. You get ninety eight points, you're in the second round, but you're losing four games.
Speaker 1: Who cares? Who? Also?
Speaker 4: Rick watch look at these teams right now? I think there're anywhere. Like I know, you love your ninety points.
Speaker 1: They're not close, yeah, but they're you know what, there were teams that had sixty five and seventy and seventy five. That's not damn okay, you know what I wish it was, but those teams exactly. But then you can do the rebuild. But what's the future outlook for those teams? Yeah? It was tough, Yeah, right.
Speaker 4: Said nays are the world champions?
Speaker 1: Yeah, very good.
Speaker 5: Well, and if Mitch Marner goes there which summer speculating he might be his destination.
Speaker 1: You got, you got some business.
Speaker 4: We were gonna do the novelog just saying, and now it's gonna dmz you okay, yeah, you mean talking the break go business.
Speaker 1: All right. Looking for a gift for a sports how about an addition to your man cave pastime sports a place to visit check out the largest selection of sports memorabilia, autographed items, trading cards and collectible games in Western Canada. You got four locations, Langley, Metrotown, Guilford Mall and look at this Capilladle Mall in North Bend. If you can't visit the min store, you can shop their massive collection online at pastime Sports dot c and follow them on Facebook and ask for the latest info in card drops and in store signings. Laptop, I put this back up.
Speaker 5: This is the mystery card Hockey, the hockey card mystery box. Okay, these are.
Speaker 1: Twenty bucks at pass. This is all.
Speaker 5: It's something different, something different through a crock up there. Hey, pastime might have those as well. But those that box of cards twenty bucks. Look at its huge, it's chalk full and autographic. Game used memory be the card in every single one of those books. Twenty bucks. It's a great gift for people. So get those at Pastime Sports, and I should mention they have cards from every single era. You want a specific year they got hockey cards. I almost bought ninety one hockey cards the other day at the year of my birth nineteen ninety one. Yeah, yeah, I almost bought them. Maybe next time, give us an update. Okay, I'll keep you posted on that, all.
Speaker 1: Right, DTMZ. Next doning delight the team on check.
Speaker 4: Love the crack of a baseball bat or the smell of hot dogs. The Vancouver Canadians have you covered.
Speaker 1: Come enjoy a Vancouver summer tradition with three foot hot dogs, sushi races, fireworks and Blue Jay prospects, all at the iconic Rogers Field and not Bailey Stadium.
Speaker 4: Visit Canadians Baseball dot com to get your tickets and details on all the summer fun the Seas have to offer.
Speaker 1: That's Canadians Baseball dot Com. Come for the fun and stay for the baseball day. It's eleven thirty two on a Wednesday morning. Donnion Dolly on Check TV. No time for DTMZ brought to you by the world famous Wister Golf Club. Go see b g out there. Great track, Great track.
Speaker 4: DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design was the golf club reminding everyone that tea times can be booked online now for any time during the twenty twenty five season. And if you've got a group of twelve or more, ask us about our Donnie and Dolly midweek group specials at Wilstergolf dot Com Forward Slash Groups. We wanted to run this earlier in the show right out of time. I think it falls into the category of entertainment. Chris Knobloch, head coach of the Avonton Owners. Distinctive look right tall lanky, handsome guy. He's got to look alike in Edmonton. Did you see this last night in the crowd. It was this gentleman and Ryan I've lost his name here as a pastor in the in the Evonton area.
Speaker 1: Very close.
Speaker 4: I mean, you cannot tell the two of them apart in my opinion. Anyway, he's been stopped, he's been asked for autographs, he's had people, uh handing out compliments to him. Wow, don't know how well the team is playing. It's uh, it's pretty impressive. You got his name right again, Look at this side.
Speaker 5: Matt Ziprec that's right. And he had the sign before the game that says I'm the rio Chris Nodlock. So but that's not the only time it's happened in this postseason. Jared Benner, Jared Benner now the bennar one. Though, that dude didn't look that much like.
Speaker 4: Him, No, no, like especially after the nod Block conson, kind of a little more of a fuller face.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, that's not close.
Speaker 4: A little bit like him. And of course he had Paul McLain all those years.
Speaker 1: Ago, all those years ago Ottawa. That was close.
Speaker 4: Now, that was that was really close and he sat right behind him. But that last night, that's first I've seen it was last night. I mean they they looked if somebody had told me they were twins, yeah, I'd say absolutely, look at them.
Speaker 1: Look at that boy. He even did the haircut, you know, a little number one up the.
Speaker 5: Side, although his part is to the other side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the parts on the wrong side, but the side is the same.
Speaker 4: We don't have it. Matt Zipbreck again is his name, pastor, but he did a sermon recently where he referred to it and it was pretty good, pretty pretty funny stuff. You got it, real sense of humor about it. That is that is that's scary. You gotta, you know, do some sort of blood test here find out that they're somehow related.
Speaker 1: That is so close with the other.
Speaker 5: The other infamous one with sports is uh is the Andy Reid one.
Speaker 1: Have you seen this guy? M hm, Oh my god's close, Oh my gosh, very close. That's amazing, And I.
Speaker 11: Think I think it's he He's been at Super Bowl radio roads Rose before and people legitimately caught up to him as the thoughts on the Big Game and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: But it is wild you know, people looking like each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And the question is is this is getting a lot of play. I wonder if he's getting a free ticket or two.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the fake nob block, Yeah, yeah, he had good seats.
Speaker 4: Fake no block, not bad. Fake birthdays. May twenty eighth, We have seven of them. The line is set at six by barking up the right tree Lumberyard and Casino in poos Coopy, BC. We had somebody text in that they grew up in Pooscoon. Oh yeah, which is outside of outside of Dawson Creek. Only seven hundred.
Speaker 1: People in there. Yeah, it's a little town outside of Dawson Creek.
Speaker 4: There you go on your way to Grand Prairie. Yeah, okay, seven birthdays. Rock and Roll Ryan former NHL defenseman Will Dual American Canadian citizenship Canucks assistant coach for three seasons in the early nineties under Pat Quinn. In ninety three, he left the Canucks to become the first head coach of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. Mike Murphy went on to become went on to become head coach of the Capitols, Sharks and Leafs r W.
Speaker 7: Very.
Speaker 4: If I may say so, I've got one a generic name Ron Wilson.
Speaker 1: There you go, NHL.
Speaker 4: Very good Rick NHL Center from Perry Sound, Ontario, New York. Center helped the Flyers win the Cup in seventy four and seventy five. Head coach of the Flames when they won the Cup in eighty nine. First head coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning redhead or fifteen I think for the Flyers back in the day. Ryan, you remember that you were born in ninety one.
Speaker 1: Initials T C. Terry Christ Yeah, suspicious, but.
Speaker 4: Hockey Hall of Fame defense been born in Detroit, played in the WHA and the NHL for the Whalers, Flyers and Wings. His father Gordy and brother Denise Marty also played WHA at NHL.
Speaker 1: That might be the low point as bad as things have been today. You saying, Deneen. There might have been the Lowers family thing there too.
Speaker 5: He just keep trying to get out of that hole.
Speaker 1: Hey, stop it, Gordon Dean, Yeah, okay, yeah, yeah, Now you don't know the Dneans. I know the Danneans. They were crocked.
Speaker 4: Senator's thirty seven year old winger from Quebec, Claude Drew, played junior hockey for the Lewiston mania.
Speaker 1: David, Yes, a little quick there. Yeah, that's if you're going to pull a fast No, No, that's suspicious.
Speaker 5: A thirty seven year old. It's either your Rue or Puran, right.
Speaker 1: Well, Puran was passed over by the Caducks at the seventh draft. That's right in favor of Patrick White.
Speaker 4: Patrick White, And the thing that made it made that bad was that Lewiston played in the Memorial Cup here and he was outstanding.
Speaker 1: Right here at the coliseum, And that was a bad, bad draft. He never played a game for the Kentucky.
Speaker 5: Oh wasn't Patrick White the trade for Christian He's part of the deal.
Speaker 1: So I mean trying to shed South Yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Offensive tackle out of Ole Miss played eight p eight NFL seasons, the first five with Baltimore. Subject of the on I movie The Blind Sung Michael or.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 4: No relation to Bobby Yeah, spelled differently. Yeah. Late point guard out of West Virginia Lakers have retired as number forty four. The logo Jerry West.
Speaker 1: Jerry West so late yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Did you see winning time had a chance. It's a great documentary. I don't know how his family would have felt feels about the way he was portrayed there por trading the not I kind of liked him. Oh, he was a pretty emotional guy.
Speaker 5: But it's weird because how he's portrayed in there versus how he talks and been interviewed.
Speaker 1: Oh, he's completely up across as a god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was a very really emotional Yeah, spur of them, all the decisions.
Speaker 1: I got one more.
Speaker 4: Oh, you gotta get this. Rick Mayor of New York during nine to eleven appeared as himself in the ninety three episode of Seinfeld The Non Fat Yogurt.
Speaker 1: Okay, how's it going from Rudy there? Yeah, that's just gonna say. What's what's the latest? May eighth?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 4: His next Rolling Gift sixty four and he and the Fine Young Cannibals are gonna play us out April eighty nine and the monster album The Raw and the Cook This is the Fine Young Cannibals and good thing on check the Packaged and the Boiled on a BC Wednesday morning.
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 12: Next Fine Young Cannibals?
Speaker 4: It's Outlander plug in High Bred Electric Vehicle Days at Surrey Mitsubishi.
Speaker 1: This month, Get up to eight thousand and five hundred off their most popular all wheel drive s u V, the Outlander plug In Hybrid.
Speaker 4: The Outlander plug In Hybrid is whisper quiet, fuel efficient, lets you drive electric or gas, and can fit seven passengers in three rows of seating.
Speaker 1: Cruise pass traffic and h OV lanes even when driving solo, and again save up to eighty five hundred.
Speaker 4: Visit Surrey Mitsubishi at one three eight two oh one hundred and fourth Avenue in Surrey. Are online at Surrey Mitsubishi dot CA. A offer ends May thirty. First, all right, Woods hit me?
Speaker 1: Is it just me? All right? Uh? Here we go. Not pro trade damp goo, but what about trading him with Garland to Philly for Erson and Tippett and Forrester and Picks. I think talking would like to be reunited with those two. And this is from Nicole and Komas. I will tell you one thing about this text. Forster is close to signing with Pittsburgh. Tippet would be great. There's your big guy that can score in the top six down. So now you're pro trade. Nicole set that Philly right on Philly? What did I say, Pittsburgh? Yeah, he's close to in the neighborhood, same state. But listen, uh Nicole kind of in the cole max I. I. I don't mind that if you decide, But people don't understand, they're going to try and resign first. If they can't, then they'll move.
Speaker 4: Them Jeeves from Surrey.
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 4: But it seems the more upset Ricks the more his glasses get darker.
Speaker 1: Stop but this Jeeves guy, he's not Do they fog up or something? They No, I don't have evidence my glasses get darker. I thought I lost him a couple of days ago. Oh my goodness, I spent two hours. I finally found him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you texted me you want to bring in a pair of my reading glasses?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is it just me?
Speaker 4: Unsigned? But why does Rick keep saying Vesna and Demco like.
Speaker 1: He wanted he was? You think that's easy? You do say that like he is the he wanted that year? So do you think knuck goalies are ve candidates every year? Come on, don they haven't had many?
Speaker 4: Well that's the UNSIGNED submission there, not just me.
Speaker 1: Look at this Robin Victoria. I'm with Rick. You can't give up on a talent like Dempko. There's there aren't too many goalies in the league like that. There you go, Rob, good submission, Good on you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when he's healthy, absolutely, yeah, Kennedy Japro Is it just me? But this team will gut with little assets it has trying to keep Quinn Hughes and then we'll be left in complete shambles once he's gone. Anyways, that is bang on.
Speaker 1: No, you guys don't know that you got a crystal ball? Are you looking at the crystal bar? Are you telling me what? I've got a crystal ball?
Speaker 4: And it says Cannucks will end up with ninety points again, miss the playoffs and you'll be happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there'll be teams with sixty or seventy and they're are freaking out. Some people would like that. Yeah, okay, don, but they're not gonna go down sixty or seventy. Not well, Quinn, he's in the line up, they're not. We had a paper shack in Coquitlam, Austin and Monday, a good place to get rolled by other carriers. Tough neighborhood pomol Scott.
Speaker 4: Speaking of which, do you not have a shot of there we go? Oh, the paper shack and again is this on signed?
Speaker 1: Is this the one on Austin to Monday?
Speaker 4: No, okay, it's unsigned, but don't know if this is the one. I worked at steve'son a Number one Road in Richmond, but looks the same the Vancouver Sun after school. Somebody made the point the province had the papers delivered to like a box in the neighborhood in the morning.
Speaker 1: That's what we had.
Speaker 4: The paper shack was the Sun, a green bo That's where I worked and my brother was a sub manager at the one and I won in North Burnaby off of Hastings, in between Hastings and Albert. The Sun was heavy. Wow, it was. I don't know how many have two hundred papers on your bike.
Speaker 1: It was they came in the bundle and then you got wrapped with the string there and they were heavy. You're bang on. So I had a lot of respect for paper boys back in the day. Delivery basic good, you know, and they had to check them while they're driving their bike, and you know people waiting to.
Speaker 4: Some people did want them.
Speaker 1: Chuck.
Speaker 4: You had to go there and deal with the dog. But you get money. You buy tickets at a hockey games.
Speaker 1: Hockey six dollars tickets. Not anymore. Canucks need five top six forwards. They're not winning anyways. Place. He loves every game, hopefully that Canucks have a chance with Gavin McKenna. Did you write this, No, there's no name, but it sounds like something you would write, Okay, is it just.
Speaker 4: Me, Bob and Langley. I'm sixty six years old and get the Province every day. I love reading the good old newspaper. He's one of the few right now. Good on Bob.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bob, and me too. I miss newspapers too, Don. I'm a newspaper's TV.
Speaker 4: The thing is, it's comfort food. I find it. I don't know but you and your generation Ryan, but it's the old school comfort food, the newspaper. There's something about the field.
Speaker 1: What did you do the first thing in the morning when you were at sports page.
Speaker 4: Or Saturday or Sunday, definitely the paper.
Speaker 1: Paper and Neil mccrane and I at four thirty in the morning would fight over the Province and and you know, we only got one in the sports section, and we'd fight over w got one paper Deli in the sports section. The news got three or four and the weather man got one. But Neil and I at four thirty in the morning, they only got what province. It was a big deal. Back.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't Neil just say, I'm Neil McCrae, I get the paper.
Speaker 1: No, I said, Neil, give me the the comics and you you take the Sha Chap Joe again.
Speaker 4: Is it just me or has this management group gone full Benning Wise Broad get to the mushy middle and hopefully make the playoffs mediocrity personified?
Speaker 1: This guy's paying attention? What is it with even jab Job? Do you always read his text?
Speaker 4: Well today I read too.
Speaker 1: I don't like that guy. Well he agrees with me. So this is from Kyle Any updated on that too, Raptors injury. Will he be back? Kyle? We do have an update Ryan. What was the update this morning?
Speaker 5: Our good pal Jeff Patterson. It was out at Abbats for Canucks skate this morning and Ratu not on the ice with the regular group, but he joined the group, the non playing.
Speaker 1: Group after the fact. Close.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would guess he's he's close on that. And of course game one Thursday night out in Absford.
Speaker 1: That's their top center down there. They've been. They've got Mueller in ssan.
Speaker 4: And still winning.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: On their story, he looked very good at the end of the season for the for the.
Speaker 1: Vancouver attuted Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, he's contract hands on faceoffs. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is he one of the guys that makes the jump to the NHL next year? Full time done?
Speaker 4: It could be package jump up with Demco.
Speaker 1: Just stop it, just stop it.
Speaker 4: A break will wrap up the show in the poll question next Donny till he had the team un check. The Wabbling Dog Pub has been owned and operated locally since nineteen ninety one and has since built its reputation as one of Victoria's favorite watering holes. With twenty TV's twenty local and domestic taps and over two hundred seats, the Wabbling Dog has don't thing for everyone, including every Canucks game, UFC pay per views, and an unbeatable.
Speaker 1: Daily happy hour from four to six.
Speaker 4: The Dog is your one stop shop with its attached cold beer and wine store offering up hundreds of local and imported products, as well as an extensive inventory of Donnie and Dolly merchandise. Their award winning hotel offers dog friendly hotel rooms that are appointed with antique style furnishings and modern amenities and only ten minutes from the airport and ferry terminal. There are countless reasons to come, sit and stay at the Waddling Dog.
Speaker 1: Doc Paul Rick Ryan get her up the Waddling Dog pop pole question. And it is today Thatcher Depko is entering the final season of his contract. What should the Canucks do with them? Sixty two percent say trade them, extend them? Thirty nine percent say do that almost twelve hundred votes. It's top and it's popping. So there you go.
Speaker 4: That's tough, and you've got some pictures you're wondering about depthic's playoff experiences.
Speaker 1: Just stop, Ryan, where we're going here? Okay?
Speaker 5: So Goose? Yeah, First of all, again, it's our good pal Goose. He's at the Confederation Bridge in uh where's it again? Hold on, it's in p I, right, yeah, Yeah, heading over to p I, taking the d D logo to the birthplace of Confederation.
Speaker 1: Continuing on the theme of big Canadian things. Confederation Bridge, pretty big Goose, Wow, cool looking goose is all over Canada the last two weeks. All over that bridge just goes on and on and on as far as I can see, connecting what I should be aware of this, do we know, I don't p I to, I don't know England. Then it would really go on and on and on. There you go. That would be a lovely drive like Zero Avenue. Okay, go.
Speaker 5: It's links the province of Pi with New Brunswick.
Speaker 1: New Brunswick, That's what it is. Yeah, okay, the another one we're going next? What Ricky? You got this? Where we're going here? Taffino, I think Tiffino. Yeah, beautiful Teffino. This is Jackie and Teffino, Donnie and Dolly hat beside an amazing carving called the Weeping Cedar Woman in Tofino. Thank you so much, Jackie and Taffino. I look at that beautiful, uh statue right there, Donny. Yeah, Carby, amazing beautiful Carby. Yeah you bit at Tofino right. No, that's one place I haven't been there yet, need me neither. It's on the bucket list.
Speaker 5: And I've had a lot of friends recently go over there, and so they're posting on Instagram and I'm just I'm very impressed.
Speaker 1: It's incredible. Yeah.
Speaker 4: One of those things where uh, I feel this way, I want to go to Soyus with the heat am I in Canada because you.
Speaker 1: Got the surf over there? Yeah, right right.
Speaker 4: A lot of people wouldn't expect that water is a little colder than it is down in California. But it's something else, just something so different.
Speaker 1: Go there one day. It's on the bucket list. It's on the bucket What do you got? What do we get another picture? Or that's it? That's it? What do we got? No more photos? No? Is it just me? Okay? Cool?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: Is it just me? For Rick? You're part of the problem regarding a declining newspapers. You said you haven't read one in fifteen years. I still read the newspaper every day. Heather in Sydney taking a shot at me. I don't read newspapers, but I do read them on my text on my cell phone, so I but I don't physically go to the corner store like I used to and grab one. That's the thing. You got them delivered. I used to have them delivered. Not anymore, Donny support your newspapers? Rich too many newspapers fullding Rick's.
Speaker 4: History with newspapers, Yeah, you got a sponsor for that segment?
Speaker 1: Is it just me? But what Dolly referred to Kevin Woodley as Woods in the interview earlier. It seemed kind of forced, not really organic.
Speaker 5: Do you notice that Kevin also had no reaction to be.
Speaker 1: Because it's natural. I call him Woods all the time. You guys heard me talking to him before. Never heard anybody call them Woods, including you. The guy's last name is Woodley, You're the nickname is not going to be based on wood. Come on, it's I call I call him Woods all the time. You know that, Come on, not based around Woods. How about those goggles he had on? Oh that was impressive stuff. It was. Yeah. He brought a visual elat to the to the show. You the interviews now on YouTube. He's a good guy, a white rock guy. Good guy out there Mano and Chiliwick did you mean this already?
Speaker 4: It's just me but his Rick's affinity for ninety points the same as as his love for eighties music.
Speaker 1: It was good then mediocre. Now you're out to lunch. Eighties music the best music of all time. That's it. Thanks for tuning in, folks, behalf of Ryan Derek Rick. Everyone hear it?
Speaker 4: Oh boy in check on, Donnie you have to date and Willis Wonts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dollie for all the latest show content.