Speaker 1: You're listening to bill Handle on demand from KFI A six forty. This is KFI bill Handle here on a Tuesday morning, August sixth. Look at the trending. What's going on? First of all, we've got Governor Tim Walls of Minnesota who has been selected as Kamala Harris' VP pick, and I'm going to do that in just a moment. Also, the global markets is amy reported have actually come back, or at least the meltdown has stopped. A one thousand dollars fall down the day before, and I think yesterday it was it was yesterday the meltdown, and then today it's up three hundred points. Anyway, it seems to have recovered somewhat. Google is a monopoly. So much going on, and they'll not to forget the heat wave which is going crazy, and the Olympics and what else. I don't know. I'm going to just do headlines till the end of the show.
Speaker 2: How about war in the Middle East?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that one too. World War three is about to spart start. Yeah, I forgot about that one. So there's a lot going on. So this morning, just before we went on the air, or as we were coming on the air, the announcement was made that Kamala Harris has selected Tim Walls, Governor of Minnesota, to be her running mate. Interesting guy, and it was a it made all the sense of the world. Now the three finalist, Mark Kelly, Senator from Arizona, Josh Shapiro, Governor of Pennsylvania, Ann Walls, all of them would have been a pretty good choice and now it's just a question of which would be the best. And it actually, I believe was incremental, And a lot of it had to do with Kamala Harris meeting with all three over the weekend and what kind of report did they have a lot of it has to do with do you trust this person? How do you feel is their chemistry? Because each of them had strengths in their own right. Pennsylvania is a battleground state, Arizona is a battleground state, Minnesota's a battleground state. And so why Tim Walls, Well, because he is a moderate and she's known as a liberal. She's certainly going to be attacked as a super liberal. He is moderate, he is down the line. He still hits all the Democratic boxes for sure. He's sixty years old, looks a little older. Two kids. Born in Nebraska, he was a moderate Democrat in Congress. He served as a representative from Minnesota twenty seven of twenty nineteen, and then in twenty nineteen he became the governor of Minnesota, and a fairly popular and influential one because he served as the chair of the National Democratic Governors Association. And he's going right after the moderates. So the moderates are looking at him, which is what Kamala Harris needs. The super liberal. She has the left, she has the right. I'm going to touch her anyway. Very dear friend of mine just texted me yesterday and said, well, we got another one of your p doo friends who are running for office. He and I have a great time with this. By the way, he's so people like that, it doesn't matter. And by the way, he's very proud of that that position. In the meantime, rural background, working class politician, went to a state college in Nebraska, Army National Guard. He was a teacher on an Indian reservation. He went to China as a teacher and later became a high school teacher, entered politics, and so here is what he has done. Here is what you're going to hear his accomplishments, tuition free meals at state universities, Abortion Rights instituted in the state law banning conversion therapy, which is completely insane in its own right. That was Mike Pence conversion therapy. If you are gay, we can give you. Basically, we're gonna make you. How does that work. I'm trying to remember what Mike Pence how he did that. Conversion para therapy is if you're a fairly conservative and religious and you have a gay member of either the congregation, you're dealing with a young man or young woman, you show porno and you get them so upset that they convert from being gay into being straight. Conversion therapy. It's just it's horrible. And what else did he do? Protections for gender affirming healthcare. That's going to be a huge issue, gender affirming healthcare right, the state will pay, the state will get involved in helping people do the trans business. Now that is, for some reason so important to the conservative movement. I don't get it. What do you care? What do you care if someone gets a operation? There are a few hundred a year, It means nothing. Let's say people being anti gay marriage, what do you care if the people next door get married. Come on, that is that a national issues at your taxes? Well, to some extent it is. But is that foreign policy? Is that immigration? So this has become a very big deal and he's going to be attacked for that one for sure. And he was joking, by the way, in a CNN interview where he talked about himself. What a monster he's talking about himself. Kids are eating, having full bellies so they can go learn, and women are making their own health care decisions. So he's right down the line. Oh, also the weird describing Donald Trump as weird. He came up with that. That is his claim to fame. And so so we will see what happens. And he starts. I think tonight is the first rally, if I'm not mistaken, where she introduces him and then he goes balls to the wall. And you're going to see a very interesting campaign between the Trump campaign and the Harris campaign. The Harris campaign you're going to see very methodical. You're going to see very well planned out. She listens to she listens to her advisors, or she will, and you have Trump going totally the other way. Trump shooting from the hip his advisor's cringing, and in many cases, Trump reads his audience much better than his advisors do. So it's going to be very interesting and the attacks are going to be terrific. Yesterday, Donald Trump had said before the announcement that any one of the three that would be chosen by Kamala Harris would make a better president than she would. And interestingly enough, today you will hear she has chosen the worst vice presidential candidate in the history of the United States, that there is no worst candidate that has ever existed. The Dodgers are back in LA to take on the Phillies tonight with the first pitch at seven. Listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five seventy LA, stream all the games and HD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports powered by LA Care for all of LA. And just told me that it's Michelle Cube's birthday. So I'm Michelle Cube was a producer on this show for twenty five years and then is now the executive producer, and I want to congratulate Michelle for one of the great accomplishments of her life, and that's having been born. Good for you, excellent job. Okay, and people take off like it's my birthday week. What do you mean it's your birthday week. Well, I'm celebrating my birthday. I'm not going to come in this week. Do you know how many times I've taken off my birthday from work? Not once. I'm just not big on birthdays anyway, Michelle, congratulation on your huge achievement. Well done. Now let us talk about this lawsuit and this assisian yesterday by US Federal District Judge Amit Mehta, who ruled that Google is a monopoly violated anti trust laws. And this is a big, big deal, significant victory for the Feds. The regulator is trying to reign in the power of big tech in general, and boy do they do it with this decision. Although Google's argument that it isn't is ludicrous. And now you're looking at the other firms, Apple, madea Amazon, also facing antitrust lawsuits on different levels. And the judge wrote, and this was a month's long trial. After having carefully considered and waighed the witness, testimony and evidence, the court reaches the following conclusion. Google is a monopolist and it has acted as one to maintain its monopoly. Now, a couple of things, and I'm gonna give you some numbers in a moment. It's important to know that the ruling did not include a remedy. It just said Google is a monopoly now. Usually under antitrusts, when the court rules that there is a violation, sometimes usually there is a remedy. The company must break up at and T you had to sell off its subsidiaries. Standard Oil had to break up because it was a monopoly. That has not yet happened. They don't know. We don't know the remedy in this one. Maybe it's the way it does business. Maybe it has to be sold off parts and pieces of it. Don't know yet, Ken Walker, president of Google Global Affairs. Of course, says companies, gonn Peel. Of course it is. And this decision recognizes that Google offers the best search engine and concludes we shouldn't be allowed to make it easily available. We will remain focused on making products that people find helpful and easy to use. You know, he's right, that's exactly what the judge said. You have the best search engine, but I want to make sure that people can't use it That's exactly what I wrote. Not that you're a monopoly. It's that you're the best out there, and I want to rule that you can't that people can't use the best, right, Okay, So here is what the lawsuit is about. Here's what the judge ruled. Google maintained a monopoly on web searches by reaching agreement agreements with browser developers, phone manufacturers, wireless carriers all to pre load Google the search engine as the default, and the companies all receive a portion of advertising revenue. So Google gets its advertising revenue, of course, by selling data for the most part, and it then connects and we'll give AT and T or Samsung or Verizon the ability to share in the advertising. You give us as your default, you give us exclusivities, your default, will share with you the amount of money that we get. Okay, just to let you know. In twenty twenty one, twenty six point three billion dollars went to Apple and Mozilla alone, and then devices like Samsung, Motorola, US wireless carriers, AT and T, and Verizon. The biggest single expense that Google had that year was these revenue shares. And the government said this doesn't work. Why, Well, keep in mind that. Let me throw you some numbers in terms of monopoly. In two thousand and nine, eighty percent of all US web searches went through Google. In twenty twenty, it is ninety percent mobile searches on mobile devices, it is ninety five percent of searches go through Google. And Google is saying, Nope, we're not a monopoly. Bing which is owned by Microsoft, has a bit roaring six percent of the web searches, and Google says, nope, we're not a monopoly. All we do is a good job, and we're appealing it because the appeals court is going to agree with us saying no monopoly here, even though we have ninety five percent of device searches and ninety percent of general searches. Wow, So now what is going to happen? Don't know what is going to be the remedy. I don't know. Are they going to have to remove themselves as the default and make it more even Steven will see what the court has to say, or are they gonna have to break up some parts of it, maybe uh, sell off itself. Don't know, but I don't know where the court is going to go. I don't know where Google is going to go saying, oh no, no, that's not true. Don't ever think ninety five percent of market share could ever be a monopoly. All right, we have a vice presidential candidate, Tim Walls of Minnesota. Kamala Harris has just selected him. Here I go with that. Damn uh timata tillo sauce on my fretatas it doesn't Yeah, that's a ti yeah tomato. You know I can't do that during the show. It just really gets into my my throat. Oh yeah, I mean, I know the show.
Speaker 2: When you don't use.
Speaker 1: Top of tillo, it's so much better, Christine, I know.
Speaker 2: Ok thank you choreographed and executed.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Tim Walls, I'm gonna get over this. At some point the global meltdown financially stopped, thank goodness. And then Google has been hit with being declared a monopoly. Ruled that it's a monopoly yesterday in federal court. I cannot do that anymore. It's just too much with this this the frettats in the morning, so remind me not to do it until tomorrow. Okay. So the other big stories, what's going on in the Olympics and stop looking at me that way. Another big story is what's happening on in the Olympics, and that is the security is kind of insane, right, forty five thousand cops plus we don't know how many army people and foreign police forces are there now. France has a very interesting habit of they give themselves the right to do things that well, most democracies would not. For example, France has something called micah MICUs and what it is is an individual measure of administrative control and surveillance. That's the name of it in French, called MICUs, and it allows the French authorities to take people who they think might be a risk to the Olympics, not only not let them into the venue, but say you've got to stay home house arrested. You can't leave your house during the Olympics, or you can't leave your neighborhood, or you have to report to the police every day so we know exactly where you are. No charges, nobody goes in front of a judge. It's just under federal law they can do that. And usually these are of North African descent. They are Muslims from Algeria whatever in North Africa, and the French have some reason to believe that there may be a threat. For example, one guy who shows himself took a selfie and shows himself when the first attack on Israel October seventh, so the Eiffel Tower had a Star of David in lights. He takes himself as selfie of him flipping the bird at the Star of David. He's from North Africa, he's a Muslim. He's not going anywhere near the games because the French authorities have decided no, thank you. And of course lawyers are going crazy and saying you can't do that with a French can do that under their rules. But here I'm geting you another side of the coin. There's only a couple hundred of them, by the way, that have done that. There were five hundred, of which two hundred are under this kind of control, So we're not talking about a huge number, but it's enough for their versions of the ACLU to go crazy. Let's do the reverse where the French authorities have had reason to believe there might be a risk there and did nothing, and a terrorist attack happens. What do you think is going to happen? You knew, you knew this guy had gone on these internet sites. You knew he was Muslim. You knew he had said things that are anti Israel or anti the West, or pro Palestinian, and he was on the radar. You knew. Now, friends has had its share of terrorist attacks, big time, it more so than other countries, and so they're reacting rather forcibly. Can you imagine, for example, in the United States, going to university and not being able to wear a he job if you are a Muslim student, now you can't do it. In France they can say exactly that under French law. Remember the fight that was here with a driver's license and a woman wanted to wear the veil and didn't want her face to be seen because she was a Muslim for a driver's license photo for ID And there was a huge fight here in the United States and it went up through the courts. It's a different world over there, and so by okay with that, Yeah, for the most part, you know, file lawsuit. Yeah, you can take it to court. By the way, you can only take it to court after the time that you can't go to the Olympics. We'll see in court a couple of weeks from now, and then you can say the judge can say you shouldn't have done that. In the meantime, if you happen to be one of these people that are under this MICUs decision by the French Ministry of the Interior Security Forces, watch it on TV because you're getting nowhere near even the neighborhoods that the Olympic venues are at. Okay, now, interesting article came out of the Atlantic and this is where Neil and I, well, he see me and we've known each other for almost thirty years. And that is tight wads. But tight wads people who have money, tight wads. And there's a whole psychological thing about that. Now I have a reputation for being a tight wad. You know, I'm cheat. My clothes truly are from Costco. I know I shticky about it, but it's absolutely true. My shorts fifteen bucks at Costco, my pans sixteen bucks at Costco. My shirt's fifteen bucks at Costco. I mean, that's what I do money restaurants just with my daughter every few months. Because she's a foodie. I won't spend money. I mean, to me, going out Cheesecake Factory is a very big expensive meal for me. Quick story. A dear friend of mine who was president of Premier Radio, who syndicated a handle on the law, obviously a lot of your ago, and he sharpest dresser I've ever ever known. And Craig I once asked him, because he's just beautiful clothes, I go, how much were those pants, Craig? And he goes, two hundred and fifty dollars? I said, two hundred and fifty dollars for a pair of pants. I wouldn't. I don't have four suits combined that cost two hundred and fifty dollars. And so when we became when the show became syndicated, he gave me a gift certificate to a men's store for two hundred and fifty dollars where he bought his pants. He goes, here, get yourself a pair of pants, my gift. I kept that gift certificate until the store went bankrupt. I could never ever spend that much money on a pair of pants. Neil, you have seen that over the years.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, I've seen it many times. I remember walking down the street with you and there was what looked like a homeless guy walking towards us, and his like shoe was falling apart and it was flapping, and Bill reached and do his pocket pulled out this massive water cash with a rubber band around it. Took that rubber band off and he gave it to the homeless guid and said, here, wrap it around your shoe. Really sweet moment.
Speaker 1: Now, I also like, you know, hey, mister, do you have any change? You know? And I have a pocket full, so I'll jingle my change and go yes, I do, and then keep on walking. Also what occasionally I do? Now we and I have traveled, Neil, and this is where I do spend discretionary income, and I will traveling, I spend money on and I will occasionally go business class when I can upgrade. I have actually paid for it. And that killed me. That absolutely killed me. The only thing that made that worthwhile is you know how they load people in business class first, And this is on a trip to Europe, and they have those live flat beds. That was worthwhile only for as you load load up first, everybody else and coach goes past you. So I lay out the bed as they're passing me and go, hey, I'm going to sleep tonight. How about you?
Speaker 2: Pretty rough?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the only problem is you cry yourself to sleep because how much you're paid for it.
Speaker 1: That's true, actually, But the point is there is this tight wad and it's people who have money. And I've saved, you know, I don't spend all my money. I spend way below my means, so I have a good, healthy retirement. And it's still I never will have enough retirement. It's not like I'll never have enough money, but I'll never have enough to be comfortable. And that is the scary part. And it's the thing. It is a psychological thing that psychologists have written over and over. A lot a lot of tit wads have experienced financial difficulties and they're going on that way. You talk to people who are maybe your par anybody who relative has lived through the depression. We're talking about great grandparents. Now, you'd be surprised how many of them will pay only cash for a vehicle. That's it. We'll never finance a vehicle because of what happened. They pay off their mortgages as quickly as they can, which, by the way, I did, and I really struggle to pay it off. I mean I really sweated to pay off my mortgage. Stupidest thing in the world you could do. By the way, makes no sense, especially when there's three percent money on a refine. Why because you know I'm kind of frightened of the future. What if? What if? What if? And so Neil. As always, I want to thank you for being my friend and always always reaching for the check. It's ever you're incredibly generous with me.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I don't mind you being cheap with other people as long as I benefit from it. It's the only thing that makes us relationship worth it.
Speaker 1: Oh, Cono, Have I ever taken you to a lunch? No? No, Amy, have I ever taken you to a meal? Once? Oh? Where was it? Where did I take you? Christina? Oh? Yeah? They because they went out of business. Yeah, because their prices were so low they couldn't afford to stay in business. So you offering to take me to Yeah you know what I had? Yeah, you shame me and do it. I gotta take you for a meal. Yeah, Wiener Schnitzel across that you know what, that's true. They have some of the best corn dogs, uh in the world at that Wiener Snitzle. You got it? Corn dogs on me? Yes? All right, Cono, Yes, cor we're gonna do it. We're gonna do it all right. Uh, I know when too. I'll tell you about it either during the break raft of the show, I'm gonna bring up my phone and calendar. Kf I am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the eye Heart Radio app.