Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 3: I'd tell you what.
Speaker 4: Those first couple of hours went by really really fast.
Speaker 3: It's been fun.
Speaker 4: I mean, I enjoy doing this every day and try not to, you know, take it for granted, because it's still something that you know, I have to keep it in mind. One day I won't be able to do anymore and it'll be sad. But I'm gonna enjoy it until you know, they kicked me out of here, and it's much more enjoyable. Whenever college basketball is something Louisville fans myself included, I'm a Louisville fan whenever I'm excited to talk about it because you know, the team that I care so much about, they're they're at least relevant to an extent, and right now, there aren't many out there talking about Louisville basketball in Pat Kelsey's first year, you know, being a team that might win the national championship or anything like that. But they have become a significant storyline with these wins continuing to pile up, and it used to just be something that you would expect. Yeah, of course they're talking up Louisville. You kidding me, We're Louisville basketball. But that hasn't been the case in recent years. And in fact, this sounds painful to say, but it's another I guess example as to why this feels so awesome. And again that list as far as why this just feels as fun of a ride we've had as fans in the regular season in a long long time. Again, that list is lengthy. But Louisville hasn't been to the second weekend of the tournament in ten years. I mean, think about that now. They still not might get there this year because you just never know. But Louisville is relevant for the right reasons once again, And again that's not me to say. That's not me saying that they're about to cut down the nets at the final four. In fact, I don't even know where the Final four is this year, and I usually do know. I usually keep in mind where it is, just because I'm a college basketball nerd. But I have found myself paying a lot of attention to college hoops like I always do, but again for different reasons, doing it in a different way. Because you know, there was never a scenario where I wouldn't love college hoops, but I've had to find other things that really make me happy, like betting, and I still love betting, but I haven't made a college basketball bet in four days, which probably doesn't sound like that, are you Okay, I'm good, but I'm now just like like last night, it hit me at like eight thirty. I didn't even think to look at the board today because I just knew Louisville played a game and I was excited to watch them. So not to say that that I got into gambling because I needed something to kind of fill the void of enjoying college hoops because there wasn't any team that was going to give me great satisfaction. So I mean, I guess I was looking for satisfaction with winning bets.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I can for all the wrong place. Yeah, I mean, I can do.
Speaker 4: Both and still have fun. And that's that's what I've been able to do so far this season. But man, it's it's just been a fun ride. And I know that's repetitive. I've said it many many times, but when you see this team continue to do what they did last night, the young Ciner, in my opinion, looking as good as it's looked on TV in many years. You can tell with each game these guys are getting more confident in themselves and these fans are getting more confident in this team, and it's just it's it's really I don't want to say best case scenario, because again, college hoops is different. We really evaluate what matters in March and when we get to the postseason, and we're not there yet. But I don't really even care about that right now. I'm obsessed with bracketology like anybody else, So maybe it's not true to say that I don't care. But living in the moment and enjoying it is what I know I'm doing, and I can certainly tell you it feels like many of you are doing it too, and it's it's been a lot of fun. I mean, well, Kentucky, they're having a season this year where they're clearly looking like one of the better teams in the country. They've got a great resume, they're looking like they're gonna get a really good seed in the tournament. Yeah, they've got some losses, some to teams they probably feel like maybe they shouldn't have lost to, but they're certainly not bad losses necessarily, and they've done enough good as far as their wins to where they're in a great spot. But I bet you because it's Pope and it's new, and he's really hitting notes in checking boxes if you will, that Cali Perry never would and really didn't care to. I think both fan bases around here are just enjoying the ride, and I think we're always going to do that when things are good, and when you get to it's just the expectation, and I'm sure Kentucky fans are there right now. I mean, this season is kind of what they expect, regardless of who's their coach. Didn't know if it was gonna happen this year, and here they are, so I think that makes it a little more enjoyable. And and it's Pope, one of their own. So when you get to a point where it is the expectation and it starts to be something that you don't really notice because you're just used to it, you are more so surprised when somebody's not gassing up your team and your coach and whatnot. That's a good place to be because you know why. That means it's been sustained that's sort of where that that that's that's where you are consistently. So again, I hope Louisville can get back to that point where we are no longer as excited to just see this team rolling through the ACC like they are. I mean, again, I know the ACC is what it is, but my point is, I just think it's been a it's been a rare year for fans for different reasons, to kind of find a little bit more joy than they typically would even if the results were the same. I think the circumstance with both new coaches here has has really made it made it a fun ride, and I'm loving every minute of It's coffee and company. We are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us. We'll get back to the phone lines in just a few minutes. Five two, five, seven, one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call. We had loaded lines for a good chunk of the show today, and of course you know we we we got to take commercial breaks and we got people that get ahead of you in line, So if you dropped off, you can certainly give us a call back, and I would imagine if you are picking up the phone to give us a call, you're probably wanting to talk some college basketball. And that's certainly what we've done throughout the day today. I know our audience turns over quite a bit throughout this three hour drivetime program, and obviously five o'clock there's a lot of people just now joining us. So again, as you could expect, we've talked a lot of college hoops today. And I'm to the point now where I could be proven wrong, but I believe this team is a really good team that is going to be deserving of a good seed. I think they'll get said good seed, and I don't know exactly what they'll do in the tournament. Once we get closer to actually playing a team from a different conference, maybe I do start to worry and squirm a little bit because I start to really think, I don't know, do the ACC set us up for failure because of how down it is. Are we going to be shell shocked when we play a team and you know, the round of thirty two that's from the Big ten or the Big twelve or the SEC. I mean, maybe that'll happen, but I'll worry about that when we get there. Just enjoying it as of right now. And for me last night, it wasn't as if I was expecting a loss. It wasn't as if I was really worried. In fact, my real issue going into the game, and it wasn't really an issue. It wasn't like I was, you know, being a caring about it, or maybe I was. Maybe that's how you would describe it if you listen to me talk about it. But I just mad Wake Forest schedule the way they did, because that win should have more value than it does. But that's a good place to be, right You beat somebody that you know is actually better than the metrics tell you, and your real complain is that you didn't end up jumping when you should have. And again, I not to be so repetitive, but Louisville being up by as much as twenty nine points last night, beating a team that has a better win than they do Wake Forest. Wake Forest has a win against Michigan, which is a better win than Louisville has, and they don't have any bad losses even today. They had the same record last night fifteen and five going into the game, but they're ranked in this seventies, meaning wake Forest is because of their stupidity with how they scheduled the non conference, something that is easy to control, easy to avoid. So my one complaint, which again i'm not I mean, it is an issue. It is something that bothers me, but I'll deal with it. And if this is my one complaint, then I think we're in a pretty good spot. But Louisville fell last night in the net rankings after beating a fifteen and five team with a with a bet honestly a better resume then I mean, maybe that that's up for debate, but clearly a better win and no bad losses and you beat them by double digits and you fell in the net rankings one spot, and it's and it's something that could have easily been avoided. And it's not only hurt wake Forest, it's hurting the acc including Louisville. But another sign for me last night was it got off to a slow start. I don't think it would be accurate to say Louisville came out playing poorly. I think they came out clearly locked in defensively, they were getting some good looks. They did miss free throws, which you gotta wonder is that gonna get you one day. I mean last night at the free throw line, they shot seventy one percent fifteen of twenty one. So honestly, I feel like they must have made like, I don't know, thirteen of their last fourteen or something because they started I believe it was like one for six or something. So it got better, and I think seventy one percent as a team fifteen of twenty one is not a bad night at the line. But you know, any free throw you miss, you feel like, man, we're leaving points out there. So again, Louisville came out ready to play. Wake Forest just did a good job of knowing, hey, we cannot let rain Smith breathe, and we got to be mindful of, you know, the pace they want to play at. So slow start to the game, but Louisville was, you know right, there wasn't as if wake Forest got off to I mean Louisville led for thirty seven minutes and twenty five seconds. Wake Forest led for fifty three seconds, and the lead change happened twice. The game was tied for a minute and forty two seconds, So I mean for the vast majority of that game, Louisville was in control, and I think to see them really go to that first media time out without having a real big run and wake Forest, I don't know if the huddle was positive at the time, but wake Forest had to feel pretty good after the first time out because Louisville didn't come out picking up where they left off against SMU. But sure enough, Louisville just hounding wake Forest defensively and making all the hustle plays, and then shots started to fall. Austin said this earlier, and he spot on can i Rus knocking down that first three that seemed to kind of I mean, I don't know if it had a real impact on other guys making shots, but he made the first one and then things started to kind of roll a little bit offensively. And what this team's been able to do, and I know competition's gonna be mentioned as a factor, but nothing you can do about that. What louis has been able to do, I feel like in this non game ten now and now at ten game winning streak really in January specifically, what they've done is they'll, you know, they'll stay consistent with things that are important that you can control. And that's attention to detailed defensively really just energy, not getting you know, not getting beat for the for the loose balls, and you know, spacing on offense. Like if they stay consistent there, shots are gonna fall for this group. And that's how they can be either close or maybe ahead by a few points and then out of nowhere they go on a run in their up double digits. And that's all she wrote, And that's really what happened last night. I found myself not complaining about the end of the game where Wake went on an eleven and eleven oh run in the last forty four I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: In fact, Wake went on an eleven and eleven to one run in the last four minutes and forty eight seconds. Louisville missed their last six shots. They had a scoring draft of five minutes, so again, the ending of the game wasn't bad. But I found myself angry at those that were like nitpicking and I shouldn't care because people can react however they want to react.
Speaker 3: But if that's where we are, where.
Speaker 4: I'm I mean, I think one of the reasons I'm sensitive to this group because I just love watching this team play, and I think every but he should be appreciative of this in all aspects, not to say you can't be critical when bad plays happen, or maybe they do have a clunker and they lose a game or something. I mean, that's I don't expect that to happen until I see a sign of them really taking a step back. But they don't play anybody that you feel like should challenge them more so than the teams they've just played in the month of January. I mean, that's just the reality of it. So slowly, but surely, there are signs almost daily for me as as a fanatic, a superfan, that is reminding me we're healing, we're getting back, and I don't know if this is part of the healing process. But you know, I'm no longer angry at I mean, I still think what he said was foolish, but I mean, I can't let Corey Alexander's nonsense from a year ago interrupt my joy with this team. And I thought, you know, he was really complimentary last night of Pat Kelse and Louisville, and I believe he was sincere. I do maybe if he would have acknowledged some of his comments than it, but which you have to keep in mind. And somebody who who works in actually somebody who worked for the ACC network that was here in town for the game yesterday, somebody that I've just met over the years at going to different ACC events and we became buddies. He brought up a really good point that I hadn't considered. And it's just a reminder that at times we do get a little self absorbed in our own bubble here. But if Corey Alexander kind of went out of his way to reference comments he made about Louisville and Kenny Payne last year while the program was terrible, meaning while nobody was watching, Like who do you think was watching North Carolina State in Louisville play each other in the Day of Shame game in the ACC Tournament? Only fans of Louisville or NC State or fans who like or just people who would have tortured themselves and watched that product of basketball. So like him going out of his way to reference it would have just seemed like he was really just you know, going off off the board there as far as what he's supposed to do. So, you know, Beheim, I thought you know was oddly entertaining. I mentioned this at the beginning of the show. Who were three different times were Beheim said something that genuinely brought laughter. And I think there's oftentimes things I can find funny or humorous that I don't genuinely have that emotion, which that's why totally different conversation. But this does give me a chance to mention it my pet peeven what we do here radio broadcasting, podcasting, even if you want to call it that the fake laugh for effect, if it isn't really funny, don't laugh. You have a better chance of someone finding what you're talking about funny if you don't laugh.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Yeah, well good uff, it's so good. But do you know what I mean by that? Like if you ever picked up on that.
Speaker 5: Like it's like a catch breath, I think is what they call it an acting school, Well, it's just you don't know what to do with that time.
Speaker 3: So but you also want to please a person that you're talking to.
Speaker 4: But not acting like I mean, it's just again it's human nature. There's a better chance for somebody, Like if somebody is hearing you laughing amongst each other or laughing at yourself, They're going to then mentally think, think, what's so funny, and then they're gonna realize that's not that funny. Right, So if you're not laughing, the bars low and then they're gonna maybe find it funny, you know. So anyways, just that that's that's a random thing. I just had to to interject with but Beheim last night, part of his, part of part of me, I guess being surprised is the delivery, Like he doesn't mean times I could barely hear him. Uh, and he's you know, he's not young by any means, and I oftentimes wondered what like, it's not uncommon for coaches of the game, especially those that have a national championship on the resume, to be intrigued by wanting to be a broadcaster. You can still make a good living doing it, and you know, you are somebody that people will respect as far as your opinion on the game. And Beyhem's somebody that I don't you know, I don't know how great he is, but certainly I think he knows more about basketball than I ever will, So you know, I didn't really know. I mean, I've oftentimes found myself hearing him on games last couple of years, thinking man, like is this worth it? Like I know he coached, but man, he's not bringing much. And last night, if anything, he brought me some laughter because whenever he got the technical, the first one which was actually I don't know, they got three technicals because Salis got kicked out and look, he's a hell of a player, but both times he got teed up. If you have sympathy for him, have sympathy for him not being able to control his emotions because he mean, you can't be surprised when you get both those technicals. I mean that's just I mean the whole taunting, Like if he'd had just yelled and not done the head pat he would not have got a technical. The tapping on the head directly in front of Frank after he absolutely posterized him. It's just something you gotta control. You can probably get to half court and then do it and you're not gonna get a tee. But to do it in that moment, I guess it was hard for him to control. But you're also got to be smarter. You already got a technical for bitching at the reps because you thought she got fouled, because chucky. What did he do Austin He had the cuffs out, the cuffs, see, he was cuffing him. So you know those technicals that they got, I thought all of them were deserving, and the real stupid one. I mean I just mentioned how silly the other ones were. But the big fella just walking over as James Scott is already on the sideline heading to the seat on the bench because he's getting checked out of the game, and Efton Reed is going in front of him the Louisville bench and in front of the refs and just talking, talking reckless to him, like what do you expect?
Speaker 3: But right had a whole lot of raw er. Yeah, right after he got a t.
Speaker 4: They you know, had a he had a bucket, impressive bucket around the rim because he's a pretty polished low post player, and you know, he starts celebrating down twenty six I think it.
Speaker 3: Was, and Beheim just couldn't. You know.
Speaker 4: Bayam's not gonna wait for his time on the broadcast. He's Jim Bayham, So he's just gonna say what he wants to say when he wants to say it, even if he's cutting you off, even if he's distracting you from the game itself. But he just said do he said this aloud, does Efton Reed know they're down to or now? No, he's down twenty seven points. And I'm like, I'm glad somebody had the stones to say it, because like there's nothing that's a worse look for players than that then getting killed and then still acting like you know you have a reason too, because maybe this is just the old boomer in me now show boting, you know, talking smack, letting the other opponent know that you're getting the best of them. That's as old as time. That's been happening in sports since they've existed. But now it's so like it's it's such a show now, Like the padding on the head, the putting your hand near the ground to to let somebody know they're too small. Yeah, Like I mean again, it's probably just me being an old hater thinking that that's a little much, but like those are things that when you do get a tea, you're kind of asking for it, like you're you are, you're doing a little extra to like it's gonna be hard for somebody, including referees, to not notice that you're out there taunting your opponent, which sometimes they let it go, but sometimes you know they don't, so Beehim mentioning that was really funny. And then.
Speaker 3: Uh, West Durham, who, by the.
Speaker 4: Way, such a pro and he's great at whatever whatever You've got Corey Alexander and beyhim kind of seemingly turning the game into their own talk show. When it gets out of hand, he can easily rain them back in. But whenever whatever, Wes asked Beheim, you know, uh, when do you think Steve Forbes, Uh, you know, is gonna find some offensive rhythm here?
Speaker 3: He said, next week?
Speaker 4: And then and then also he just randomly interjected at one point, then Steve Forbes is looking to get out of here as quick as he can. And I'm sure I loved it because he's talking up my team that's blowing the way forest out.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just I had a weird feeling about the broadcast last night because I was just, you know, I was just worried more so about Corey Alexander than I should ever be. But ended up being a great win for Louisville and they look good for a good thirty plus minutes of last night and as far as.
Speaker 3: The crew, I thought they did a pretty good job.
Speaker 4: If Bayab's going to keep out of nowhere dropping liners with no energy that catch me off guard, bring him to every game, Yeah, bring.
Speaker 3: Him back like dry humor, like like the office, or like oh he also looks like Larry David. Yeah, he's exactly some curbs.
Speaker 4: So he's got that going for him. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Keep it rolling along here, it's coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: If you can't use your platform on the radio to brag on your kids, why would anybody even want to be in radio. So I'm gonna brag on my daughter Maya. She she's a champ. She had four teeth pulled today. She should, I mean, so she and I'm sure a lot of people know she's she's a special needs child, so she you know, she's her her she she her diagnosis is she's intellectually disabled. So I think an eight year old, but the innocence and sweetness of a of a of a you know, a little bitty kid.
Speaker 3: A Toddlert, and she's so sweet.
Speaker 4: She's a sweetheart, and she also has has autism, so the process of the dentist is a little overwhelming to her as far as sensory issues and whatnot. So she she got her teeth cleaned a while ago and they did notice that she might need some some work done, so uh, And it's it's just you know, great resources out there for for parents specially needs kids that i'll i'll i'll always use the platform to acknowledge that and and be appreciative of that. And and you know, that's a big part of it for me is just kind of learning about it as as we as she gets older and and you know, there's just different challenges and different parts of life that come with that come with having a kid that's growing up. So just to network and meet other families, uh, with with with children that that are very similar to my daughter, it's just a it's a very very beneficial thing for me, and I'm very thankful for it. So again, I would have never thought of this, but there are certain dental offices that that that do treat special needs children and they understand that something that may not need uh for that that a that a kid not in the same situation wouldn't need to be put to sleep to have work done. Obviously that that's not the case with with with with other kids like my daughter. So she went in and they they they gave her the I mean, she was not to sound like I'm somebody who needs to be, you know, feeling the effects of a drug. But they gave her some be juice, they called it this morning, and man, she was feeling good. I'm like, I might need a sip of that when I when I wind down on the recliner at night, I might need to get a little bit of that happy juice myself. Because she was feeling good. And then she was out and they pulled her teeth. And anytime you have anesthesia and you wake up from it like your I mean, your emotions are all over the place. I fortunately never experienced it myself, because I've never I mean, I don't remember. I'm sure I did get put to sleep for something when I was young. But my wife had has had some some medical medical stuff done over the years to where like she'll just be crying and nobody knows that she hasn't no, while like one time, she probably hate me telling the story, but she had she had some deental work done years ago that didn't need it was actually oral surgery.
Speaker 3: So, you know, I picked her up.
Speaker 4: Took her home, and you know, and on the way home, you know, she was kind of out of it, kind of coming to from from being put to sleep, and we stopped to get her prescription. I'm like, you want to go in and get it. She's like, no, I got it. I'm fine. Fine, you know, it's just her nature, like I'm fine, let me alone. You know, you need a babysit me.
Speaker 3: It's like, okay.
Speaker 4: Well, so she goes in and twenty minutes go by and I text her and I didn't hear anything, and I'm thinking she may be waiting in line. So I walked in and she's just standing in one of the aisles crying, and I.
Speaker 3: Was like, oh, what happened? And she was like, I don't know, and I'm like, what's wrong? I don't know.
Speaker 4: So that was a real eye opener for me as far as that like you can just have when you're kind of coming back to life, if you will, you can just you know, for and when I share that story. Others have told similar stories as well. So she woke up and she you know, she she just made it clear she wanted to go home and go to sleep. But four teeth being pulled out, man, Like, that's a happy job. Yeah, I was telling and this is you know, we don't I like to think we we copare really well together. And I don't mean like we're not together, but like, you know, we we were on the same We definitely match each other's you know, and energy when it comes to just doing whatever we can to do, you know, to make our children's lives better. I think we work really well together, not only as husband and wife, but also as as mom and dad. But I'm I'm just my nature and she's great for being patient with it. But you know when they tell me when we.
Speaker 3: Get there, they're like, well, while we're while we're.
Speaker 4: Going to go through this the initial procedure we had planned, We've we've got some baby teeth that are going to come out anyway, and we already are going to have her kind of sedated, so we'll probably go ahead and get those out because we see that there may be like a cavity developing here or there's one that you know, and I'm I'm sitting here thinking, like, you're not gonna let them take four of her teeth out today?
Speaker 3: That's a lot even for you. I'm just real defensive.
Speaker 4: And then I'm like, yeah, need to calm down, Like it makes total sense and it would be much easier to just get it done and I might have to worry about it later. But yeah, four teeth in one visit to the to the dentist.
Speaker 3: That big trip. I mean, I mean that's a bad ass. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't think I would be able to handle it as well as it's a lot of Oh yeah, yeah, did uh? Did you have a fear of the dentists growing up?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: I actually I actually talked about this with my dad yesterday. I've never really hated the dentist office. I had had a lot of work on my teeth, that's what she said, uh, of like in my high school times. But like I had to get braces, I had to have like these spacers, a sting and my mouth at one point funny Side Street, but I had this contractor thing in my mouth exactly what you're talking about. Mom had to like tighten every day for two weeks to straighten my whole teeth out. And there was one week where I had just a gap in my tooth that you can fit like a pinky through. And it was not good. Because I was in middle school at the time, I was very easy to make fun of ad that with the shabbiness and that kids are brutal in middle school. Man, dude, there they did not relent. What do you shop at the gap? That was one thing I got all the time to And I'm just I'm just a little innocent case.
Speaker 4: Is there anything more awkward in life than middle school? Even if you had it good in middle school, where you were a good athlete, you were mister popular, whatever, it is, it's just an awkward internal experience because you're kind of like, who am I?
Speaker 3: What am I? Am? I?
Speaker 4: Am I a teenager? Am I still a kid? Like it's just you know, puberty, the emotions that are changing like middle school. Man, I I mean it's it's a part of our life that's always going to be there. But just like thinking of middle school is a parrot or going back in it's just awkward, man, It's just it's it's a weird time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I hated middle school.
Speaker 5: But the middle school, to be honest with you, No, But to your question, No, I've never really had a fear of the dentist.
Speaker 3: I've always liked it. It was it was really chill.
Speaker 5: For the longest time, I actually thought I kind of wanted to work in a dentist office. You know, there's usually you know, like a nice little kids room. There's a fish tank, usually some chill like music, some gym blossoms playing or something like that, and it's just quiet and like it usually smells good there. The people are nice to you. But you know, I was not told you're going to die, like you're at the doctor's office.
Speaker 4: So I was scared at the dentist whenever I was a little kid, like a little bitty kid, and I had a lot of dental work done over the years, not only dentists, but also or the dentist.
Speaker 3: And I two things.
Speaker 4: One my fear actually was happening where I was scared and they knew it, so they like restrained me, like I've had that happen and I was young, and I mean, I don't even know if I remember it, Like I can visualize it in my head right now because I was. I was pretty young, but I do remember being scared, so that kind of sticks with me. But my mom kind of heard that I was really struggling with them restraining me. I'm claustrophobic in general, and I was already fearful of the dentist, and my mom came back there and told them get me out of it. Like we left, and I remember thinking, well, even if the dentist does try to pull that kind of stuff, Mom's got my back and she's gonna.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: And then at seven years old, because this is a weird story, my ear drum burst when I was when I was an infant, so they did some stuff, I guess to like, you know, kind of bandage it up until I got older to where they actually did surgery on me when I was seven, where I had to you know, like legitimate surgery. I had to wear like this big cone on my head. So once I went through that, I realized I realized, Hey, the dentist won't be so bad because like, if I can go through that at seven years old, and I was so I remember, I mean, this is just me in my own head, which I still am today. This is you know, twenty eight years removed. Remember thinking like, well, I know they're telling me everything is gonna be okay, but surgery sounds pretty serious. Uh that I was at a doctor's office downtown and just hearing the word surgery and knowing how serious it was, I'm like, well, you know, I'm sure they're just telling me to keep me, keep me, you know, not scared. But I'm probably gonna die. So I'm gonna tell everybody. I'm sitting here at seven years old, thinking, well, I had a good life, you know, And it's just it's just how I tend to worry about things at a level that is just not necessary in any way.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I uh, I.
Speaker 4: Walked out of the dental office today and helped her get to the car, and I'm thinking, you know what, I think she was. She was more brave, more brave than I was, all right, So for her, she's a sweetheart, she's she's she's the best. And I'm so glad. You get like, you don't just have to say that, because you know you're being nice. You got you, you know her, you're in the crew.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we've got the We've we've got the Maya experience with the crew she very very welcoming and she liked.
Speaker 3: She liked that with a lot of all strangers too, or did I.
Speaker 4: Know well, she knows well, she knows that she is very very sweet to a lot of people. But she you know, she makes the connection that you and I work together and whatnot, and that you know that means you're in. But Moose was not happy last night to know that you were at the game and we weren't.
Speaker 3: Oh oh he was.
Speaker 4: But but hey the Cards won and he you know, he got over it. But man, he's he's he's loving this team.
Speaker 3: And you know, this is just me.
Speaker 4: I'm sure this is nothing anybody cares about because it's just me.
Speaker 3: But I know I'm not alone.
Speaker 4: There's others out there that are having kind of that experience. Rather it be with Like my dad last night was at the game too. He called me at halftime and he was so excited, and I kind of felt like the parent. I'm like, I'm so glad he's enjoying this. Man, he loves this team. And I'm thinking, all right, well you be careful now, son, Yeah, just make sure you make sure you get a safe out home and enjoy yourself. Like I'm just so happy he's there enjoying it. It's just, man, the vibes around Louisville hoops are are really really good right now.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: So I didn't get to this as much as I wanted to early on in the show, and that really hasn't a whole lot to really get into. But Tyler Shuck is really performing well at the Senior Bowl. I mean, if you just his name on social media, you go read the write ups after the first couple of days of the event as a bunch of NFL hopefuls are showing the NFL what they what they've got. And Quincy Riley also will admit is having a having a good day, good day as well. But or I guess good day yesterday. I'm not sure about today. But Tyler Shuck, you know, when I see people mentioned that you know he's got the best arm of anybody there and that you know his deep ball is as good as they've seen at that event in many years. And this isn't people covering it from the Louisville lens. These are people who you know cover the NFL. Matt Miller, who is in an ESPN's NFL draft analyst, I mean he's somebody that has done this for a long time, and he said this earlier. Louisville quarterback Tyler Shuck has been the best of the national quarterbacks this year. Can really rip it down field, great build and great command of the ball today. So I mean, I'm not surprised to hear it because I felt like all year Louisville, I mean, we knew we had a good quarterback. And when I say this, it's gonna sound like I'm claiming he's about to go put together a Patrick Mahomes type career and who knows how long he ever plays in the NFL. But I don't really know what his weakness is now. He's probably in fact, I guess he's clearly not as good at certain things that other quarterbacks. He's not going to be a first round pick, but I think after the first round, when you get into the later rounds or maybe just you know, the mid rounds, I mean, if a team likes what they see, I don't. I don't think I'm going to be shocked at all, because you know, I again, who know, there's all kinds of coverage of the NFL Draft that's year round, and you can find a lot of things that people said about guys and they were way wrong. So trust me, I'm not making some bold prediction about his career, but I won't be shocked if he does have a good career, because you know, he's he's he can do a little of everything. I mean, clearly, he's not a guy that's going to take off and and you know he doesn't have electrifying speed. But one thing I will admit that I felt really stupid about whenever we were about to kick off the season, I never realized that his injuries were because he ran the ball a lot. I mean, he's a big guy, but he's not a big guy. To me, that looks like, yeah, let's just have him play like Josh Allen, Let's have him play like Riley Leonard. I mean, those guys are are big in stature, and Shuck's not small. But I guess he did play like that a lot at Oregon and at Texas Tech, and I'm sure that was a big factor in his injury. So if he's utilized the way Jeff utilized him, I think he can have a long career in the NFL as a backup or maybe even be a guy that ends up with a franchise that doesn't need a quarterback to be elite. They've got other things around that quarterback to where they just need him to go out there and be sis to be consistent and solid. So again, you never know, but I'm not really sure what would be the real issue with with you know, with taking him in the mid or late rounds if you need a quarterback. Because's got to keep in mind oftentimes there's quarterbacks drafted after the first few rounds or maybe right around there that they're not I mean, if they think somebody's a franchise quarterback, they're not taking them in the third or fourth round. They're taking them earlier. So again, I'm trying to be clear that I'm not saying we should expect this guy to be, you know, taken off the board super early. But I mean he's got a really good skill set, he's got good size, and look, Jeff Brom played him in a way that showed he could be an NFL player, And I think Jeff has absolutely done a great job in his first two years at Louisville at really showing if you are a talented player that really feels like you know you've got the chops offensively, Jeff can find a spot for you and really help you get to the NFL. I'm not going to give Bram all the credit here. Chuck has a has a good stint in the NFL, but clearly he would have never sniffed the NFL had he not had the year that he did at Louisville. And I think Jeff, this is something that really stood out to me during the Notre Dame game, because as much as I don't feel like he's necessarily great as a broadcaster, it may just be because of his voice, and I think he's kind of adweep. But Jason Garrett, he is on the NBC coverage for the NFL on NBC that is on Sunday nights, but he also is the color analysts for Notre Dame football, or at least he was the last couple of years when he wasn't coaching. So he talked about how Tyler Shuck, you know, wouldn't be shocked if he's in the NFL. And then he really went out of his way. And I don't really know why this stuck with me, but one he talked about Jeff really liking quarterbacks like Shuck, who have played a lot of football, that he likes what they have as far as their arm, they're coachable, they want to get better to where he'll take a guy even if it's only for a year, because he's that confident in what he can do as a play caller, as an offensive mind. And I mean, nobody else seemed to really acknowledge this or at least talk about it that I've heard, but he pretty much said, Jef's gonna do this every year, Like maybe he does get a guy who has more than one year of eligibility left, maybe one of these freshmen that he gets because by the way he keeps bringing in talented quarterbacks that are freshmen. So like, maybe one of those guys becomes the long term guy for many years. But if not, he'll go to the portal and feel pretty good about being able to get somebody that he can really maximize their ability. So that was one of the things he said. But then he also mentioned that NFL folks know that if you can succeed in the NFL, or if you could succeed in college football running Jeff Brohms offense with what he expects out of a quarterback that's a really good sign in the eyes of those that you know are in the National Football League. And as much as Jason Garrett is you know, probably not viewed as a great coach, he was better than Mike McCarthy. And also, I mean, at least in Dallas he was. And also you know, he clearly his connections to the NFL, So you know, I would I don't think it's gonna happen as far as what I was worried about, and that was him going on to be good in the NFL and me feeling like better because I mean, even if he is a good quarterback in the league and he becomes a starter for a few years, I don't think I'll look back at the nine and four season and feel like, man, what could have been? I mean, I won't know until that hypothetical situation, I guess presents itself. But I mean I think Louisville, I mean, offensively, Louisville was really good this year. And that's why I oftentimes bring up the defense, because you know, the defense at times had some good games and certainly had some good players over the first two years of the brom era. But Louisville, in any situation, last year. Yeah, you can find plays where Jeff didn't make the right call, or maybe they went forward on board then didn't get it, or maybe there was a costly turnover. Like the offense isn't perfect, but I just can't see a scenario last season when Louisville lost a game and we feel like the offense didn't do enough. I mean, I don't think that's the case at all.
Speaker 3: So I think Louiell's.
Speaker 4: Offense next year could even be better with the sophomore Duke Watson and a sophomore Isaac Brown. Chris Bell broke out last year, he's back. Colin Lacy, the guy's got super talent. Miller Moss that think's going to be another good transfer for Jeff. So I just I when I see something that's preventable and I don't see people really going above and beyond to prevent something that almost kind of seems maybe likely, it eats at me. And I just think, with Ron English as your DC, what's the ceiling for him? Haven't we kind of already got it? And if he ends up putting this team in a situation once again where the offense scores thirty five or forty two and if they have a couple of they have a couple of stalled drives where they got to get off the field after three or two quick three and outs, that shouldn't leave you as vulnerable as Louisville has been. And that's happened, and it shouldn't have happened, and we can't be surprised if it happens next year. And that's just my worry. But again, I mean, if the defense is really good next year, and you know, they're not a big liability, then that'll be great. I just for me, it's not that I'm telling you I absolutely expect it. But whenever Louisville nearly collapsed against Stanford after the backup quarterback came in and really did a good job scoring points. Yeah, the offense didn't extend drives at the end of the game, but man, they did their part. It was the defense that just became absolutely vulnerable and kind of collapsed at the end. And nobody was surprised because we've seen it. And therefore, if it happens next year, when maybe you don't even have as many talented players on defense as you had this year, I mean, can we I mean, it'll be maddening. But I think that point for me, I mean, it's not like I'm gonna be calling for his head to be fired, but like that'll be Jeff's fault because we you know, like it's happened before, and we keep bringing this guy back. So anyways, quick break, We'll come back on the other side and wrap this thing up. Quick segment, as we tell you, get bye here on the other side. Coffee and Company fil but Thorton's on Sports Talk seven ninety great Vibes today on the soundtrack.
Speaker 3: And a little bit of everywhere. Yeah, I mean, and it's it's just good. It fits. Man.
Speaker 4: I feel like when the when, the when the soundtrack of the show is fitting with kind of where we are as far as vibes, that's the best case scenario.
Speaker 3: So well done. We have no time left. But I guess I'm taking a bow. If you can't see, yeah, you should take the bow.
Speaker 4: I get more pushback on this than I expect, and it's one of those things where I guess I just can't really relate because I don't I know that the ACC doing well helps Louisville, and I want the ACC to be good, but maybe I always chalk it up to the fact that Louisville has been in so many leagues in my lifetime as a fan that I just have never been able to really have roots as far as like, man, I love this league. In fact, I've been underwhelmed with the accasons level jointed. Clearly they're better off in it than being in you know, the American and whatnot. So anyways, when people defend wake Forest, like, I don't understand where that's coming from Louisville fans, if you know, they're not getting nasty about it, but like they really they take issue with me acknowledging that wake Forest is the is the problem here? Again, if you want to have a conversation the about the way the formula works as far as how much importance it is to beat teams really bad that are bad, or not play teams at all who are in the three hundreds because you can't win, that's a different conversation.
Speaker 3: Like that, that's legit, I agree, But it's been this way for years.
Speaker 4: And you know, the wake Forest thing, like there's one of the schools that I mentioned that that you know is a factor and why they're sitting in the seventies despite actually having a good resume, and it's Western Carolina. They were not terrible last year, but like they were in the two hundreds, the average finished for them in the last decade is easily two hundred mid two hundreds. But I mean last year Detroit Mercy went one in thirty one. That was not a long term scheduling thing, meaning you didn't schedule them years out. They I mean USC of state compon State, North Carolina A and T and Detroit Mercy have been at the basement of college basketball for many years now, and you know that when you schedule them, and it's just weak. And that's why you're in the position you're in if you're awake and it's hurting the ACC. Louisville falling last night after beating them by double digits is an issue. Wake Forest, it's their fault and also.
Speaker 3: Sounds like them problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And look keep in mind, like Winthrop, they're a good team for who they are, and if you won't schedule them, you're you're weak. Like if you avoid them and go schedule North Carolina A and T, like, just get out of the ACC so we don't have to worry about you hurt in the league. I mean that's a little dramatic, but I mean like it's just so avoidable. We're at a time you guys, enjoy your evening. We're back at it tomorrow right here on Sports Talk seven ninety