Speaker 1: Today's presenting sponsor is simply Safe Home Security. With end of summer sales happening, your porch is probably a landing pad for delivery boxes while you're at work. Don't get a camera that just films a thief. Shoes simply Safe to help stop them before they even step onto the porch. Unlike traditional security systems that only alert you after a break ins already underway, simply Safe is designed to help stop intruders before they get inside. They have smart AI powered outdoor cameras that detects suspicious activity at the perimeter and alert live US based agents to step in. Simply Safe agents assess the threat intervened through the outdoor camera to scare off trespassers, and then call nine to one one for dispatch. Our CEO just got a simply Safe system in her home, she says. All the components were installed really quickly, the cameras, the sensors, all of it. Everything has worked seamlessly. Even when there was a power outage, the system was back online asap after power was restored. Simply Safe has been protecting your world for twenty years. Celebrate their anniversary with us in save sixty percent on your new simply safe system at simplysafe dot com slash crooked. That's sixty percent off at simplysafe dot com slash crooked. Plus when you order, write in our show name in the how did you hear about us? Survey to let them know we sent you. Don't forget there's no safe like simply safe.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a plat Save America.
Speaker 3: I'm John Favra, I'm Dan Pfeiffer.
Speaker 2: On today's show, we got the latest in the travels with Natalie Saga, auditions for White House Press Secretary, a big upset in Florida, hard times for resistance candidates, hope in Alaska, and why data centers are dominating the midterms. Then Love It sits down with Iowa Senate candidate Josh Turk to talk about his campaign to flip the seat and help Democrats take back the Senate. But before we get to it all, please consider becoming a paying subscriber to Friends of the Pod. As a subscriber, you will get ad free episodes of all your favorite Crookeet pods, subscriber only content like pod Save America only friends access to our excellent substack newsletters, including open tabs discounted tickets to Cricket Con and Exclusive Cricket Con perks. Oh, I don't know what those are, and of course it's the best way to support independent pro democracy media. Cricket Con perks. Actually I heard it was a you get like a special special one on one session with Dan Pfeiffer every single subscriber. Yeah you can me busy. Yeah, So well, good luck to you.
Speaker 3: Anything for the team.
Speaker 2: Head on over to democracy and democracy of course, head on over to cricket dot com slash friends to subscribe today. All right, so here are some headlines from this week that you would think might catch the president's eye. Oil rises to three week high, gas prices could set August record high with no progress seen on hor Mooz. Housing market is on track for its worst year since twenty eleven. US workers are paying more for healthcare and next year will be worse. Walmart posts slowest sales growth in years as Americans titan wallets. US debt hits forty trillion dollars faster than forecasters expected, and Dow falls five hundred points after Treasury plan to tamp down yields fails. Just the last couple of days, Dan, those headlines.
Speaker 3: Not great, as they say.
Speaker 2: Unclear if Donald Trump is aware of any of these headlines. I don't know if his human printer has printed them out for him. Natalie Harp, who has become rather famous. But either way, his only public events this week have been an Oval office greeting with a teenage lifeguard, an impromptu press tour of his White House renovation projects, new helipad very exciting, a meeting with crypto leaders that is, of course, the industry that has made him personally one billion dollars richer, and on Thursday, a rare appearance at a Rose Garden event with his wife, where he sat quietly while she spoke, good afternoon.
Speaker 4: I heard you missed me.
Speaker 2: Here, I am she did? She did here that we missed her. Look at that happy couple, so in love holding hands. What's their secret?
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's just one of the odds at this incredibly heartwarming, not at all awkward photo OPA scheduled this week in the middle of Natalie harpgate.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it was a complete coincidence. And usually Donald Trump shows up at events and sits quietly and doesn't speak. Famous for that that is so so the John Osoff riff that kicked off a week of hysteria on the right. It began with the senator saying that Trump doesn't want to do the job of being president. He wants to trade stocks and build his ballroom and travel with Natalie minus the actual travel part. I kind of think this week proves his point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is watching him this week, it's just a reminder that he is a very very old, very very stubborn man who's a complete narcissist. And we've been watching him for a very very long time now, but even after watching Trump for all these years, it is still stunning to the degree that he cannot even pretend to give a shit about anyone or anything else other than the things the top of his list, which happened to be helipads, ballrooms, enriching himself.
Speaker 2: And it's like, obviously the Natalie comments sort of just touched off the drama of the week, But that was the message of Ossoff's speech there, And I think why it was so effective is because everyone can look at Donald Trump in everything that he does and it's like, well, he seems like he likes getting rich, he likes renovations, and other than that, he pops off and yells at Democrats and people who've crossed him in some way, and other than that, you don't see much of them. That's about it.
Speaker 3: I guess the whole thing comes down to the fact that there Natalie Harp is the one who controls information that goes to the president. So maybe he's unaware of everything else that's happening in the world.
Speaker 2: Yes, but just you.
Speaker 3: Would think that anyone who turned on a TV to some channel other than Fox News would see what everyone cares about, what everyone's worried about, what their political city was, and they would try to do something to address it. Instead, he just keeps digging a deeper hole on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: And one thing we've been learning this week, and some of it had been reported in the past, is that other people in Trump's orbit and in the White House and in the federal government have been a little concerned at times that Natalie Harp is his main and sometimes only source of information, and that if you want him to see a briefing memo or a story or a tweet, you have to text Natalie and she'll print it out. Which makes this the development that ms now reported just yesterday even more interesting and troubling, Natalie Harp apparently declined multiple times over more than a year to seek a routine security clearance required for most White House staffers, let alone the president's closest aid, and this apparently alarmed national security officials, Secret Service and others. Why do you think so, Dan, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, this is studying. I mean, really, if you were to pick the person that you would want to influence as some sort of foreign entity or person with the financial interest in the White House, it would be the person who controls all information of the president. By some reports, she texts with world leaders on Trump's behalf. So it's not just that she chooses which truths to put in front of him, or which tweets to print out, or which crazy things from I don't know four Chan to put in front of him. It's that she is the conduit to him. Is how you get in touch with him. She decides who he speaks to, she will type on his phone. And the fact that this person does not have the same security clearance that a White House intern needs to pass is truly indeply irresponsible.
Speaker 2: And I don't think there's any conspiracy to it. I mean, they failed to do security clearances for it's like a systemic problem in this White House for lots of the White House staff. But it is sloppy, as is everything else they do, and especially for people who are that close to the president all the time. I mean, she got on the secret plane with him, and this is someone who for a year didn't have a security clearance. And again this is like, you get to the White House, you fill out this form, it's the s F eighty six. They ask about your entire life if the FBI interviews you, like, we've all gone through this and to just be a top aid to the president, maybe his closest aid and not having done that at all is crazy.
Speaker 3: And you fill it out before you get to the White House. Yes, filling it out is one of the conditions for entering the White House for most people.
Speaker 2: And she wasn't there in the first term. Again, right, this isn't like she's a returning character. She was at oaan N.
Speaker 3: So how many ends are there? God damn it.
Speaker 2: She was at an N and he like first met her in twenty nineteen or twenty twenty or something with the convention. But anyway, so like, yeah, she came to the White House for the first time in twenty twenty five, and just you know, just started printing tweets for him, just and that's it, nothing else, nothing else, and writing him notes that say you are all that matters to me. I want to get back to that synergy we used to have where we talk about everything and nothing. I want to bring you joy, to feel like we can get through a day without ever hav to talk work. I want things to always be right between us. Those I am just reading from notes that The New York Times obtained themselves. These are actual notes that Natalie Harp wrote to Donald Trump and left them in his personal spaces, alarming the Secret Service. These are all facts that are known that are out there.
Speaker 3: Also, once lives in a locker room so she could be closer to him because she didn't have a room in one of the Trump clubs.
Speaker 2: JVL in his newsletter he had a good take on this. I think it's it's somewhat similar to yours, right, which is he wrote. Maga responded to all this by going into high dudgeon and being outraged that Osoff would dare suggest Trump was banging his human printer. But Osoff didn't suggest that he was pointing to the much weirder, unstable, and dangerous reality. The president of the United States has an in house stocker, and he relies on this uninjured woman to an extent that is both hilarious and terrifying.
Speaker 3: There's been some reports that they refer to her as his human binkie.
Speaker 5: But I do want to you do it.
Speaker 2: Maggie Haberman has said.
Speaker 3: That which adults shouldn't need binkies.
Speaker 2: This is now, this is now the second episode. You and I have talked to You and I have talked about binkies.
Speaker 3: What do we talk We talked about we talked.
Speaker 2: About lovevies, we talked about with the Max Miller. Oh, yes, we talked about the blue Bunny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, comfort items for Yeah. But in that case we were referring to small children, not the West, the United States, the leonder of the free world. The issue here is not that Democrats are suggesting that they're having an affair, because, honestly, do we really think Trump's still in that era? No? Do you think someone of his advanced age and deteriorating physical capacity is not having a lot of sex? No? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't I think she's obsessed with him, and I think he uh really likes her because of what he likes. Yes, men and women around him anyway, and she's the ultimate like she she will do literally anything for him, including run after his golf cart in Scotland and then apologize later that she wasn't fast enough.
Speaker 3: I mean, she's not as girlfriend, she's his nurse maid. That's the point we're making here.
Speaker 2: It's true. Believe it or not. The extended Maggie universe has collectively decided to devote most of their energy this week toward expressing outrage over Osoff's three words travel with Natalie. That's it. That's all he said about her, which has absolutely nothing to do with feeling threatened by Ossof's political rise or wanting to be seen by Trump defending Natalie's honor. Here's one oscar worthy performance from Scott Jennings.
Speaker 6: He unleashed a comment so vile against a young Republican woman working in politics that every woman in this country, no matter your ideology, ought to listen carefully and never forget it.
Speaker 7: What we are learning from Democratic men right now is that if you're a conservative woman in politics, you are less than human. Oh they like to bill themselves as the Party of Women, But is there anything uglier than the Party of Women? Explaining to a bunch of clapping seals at a rally how female political staffers are really only good.
Speaker 6: For one thing. Wink wink.
Speaker 7: They talk about us Off like he's the next Bill Clinton. Sounds like he shares Clinton's views about women in the workplace.
Speaker 6: Maybe they're right.
Speaker 7: What he said devalued every woman who goes to Washington to serve our country, and it sent a signal to every young lady out there who aspires to serve that even in the year of our Lord twenty twenty six, with men like John Asoff around, you'll never be truly viewed. Is anything other than a sex object in a political punchline?
Speaker 2: Sir, this is a Wendy's This is travel with Natalie, is what he said. The President wants to travel with Natalie.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't watch a lot of CNN, and if I was a CNN, I know I'm gonna I'm getting there. I remember served one of those clips on Instagram or TikTok or Twitter about that shows some giant fight on a CNN set. I scored my pass. It do not need that in my life. So when did the goate come into play here?
Speaker 2: You know, it's a great question. I am not a frequent viewer of those of those CNN clips either, and so it just sort of appeared one day.
Speaker 3: That was the most offensive part of that whole thing. Honestly to me, that was distracting for you. Yeah, we focus on on the cojin argument.
Speaker 2: You're saying that's even more vile than what John Osoff unleashed on this poor, defenseless woman by saying that the president likes to travel with her.
Speaker 3: It sends a message to every man with a weak chin who heads to Washington.
Speaker 2: Now, on one of those CNN panels, we could have played this clip, but there were so many Scott Jennings clips this week that you know, we had to pick and choose. But someone said, oh, I'm so sick of the fake outrage and he lost his ship. Not quite Adam Mockler, get your fucking hand out of my face, losing his shit Scott Jennings has done in the past, but was like, how dare you put words in my mouth and say this is fake? This is I believe this, and I am defending her honor and this enrages me. Here's a quote from Thursday Mornings playbook about Scott Jennings. Historyonics others in Trump World dubbed Jennings jockeying as a fairly obvious public audition for a White House Press secretary job he's been eyeing since the transition. The clips of Jennings defending Natalie made their way around the White House. Wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: How how did they get there?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 2: In part because Jennings sent them to several senior staffers. Oh okay, So he was so angry and outrage in such a genuine way that he yelled on CNN and on his whatever radio show. I don't know how you get it on the internet, and then got the clips already and then sent them to the people in the White House he hoped would hire him for the job of press secretary because he's just so genuinely upset about everything. What do you think, Danny think Scotty might get the job? He was number three on my list. We did this, We did this last episode.
Speaker 3: I was gonna hold off on this, but I'll do it right now. I know everyone listens every episode, but for those of you who missed, John and I did a very serious but very fake game where we power rank possible contenders. Trump has not picked the person yet, but you you out played me in that game. I did not have Scott Jennings. You picked No. One, which was which is still correct at this moment. Mm hmmm hm. And so I picked Mark Rubio as a joke still possible. I guess yeah, you did great. You he did excellent that game. Here's the thing about the job of presserirator Donald Trump. It requires you to go on TV lie and just generally base yourself publicly on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: Well check, he's got that.
Speaker 3: So basically he wants to do the same job, but presumably with a pay cut. I guess yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's got that part nailed. But his problem is he's a giant pussy. And Caroline Levitt, whatever else you want to say about her, she's pretty unflappable in that job. She got the lying part right that you just mentioned, Like, she's nailed that same thing with you know, Sarah Hockey Sanders, but they they are not nearly as emotional as Scott Jennings is. I mean, he almost cried when Adam Mockler put up his hand on CNN. He loses his shit on panels constantly, and Caroline Levitt never lost her shit in that briefing room.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I tend to think he probably gets a little bit of a beta, a little bit of a beta, yeah, little, Yeah, he's a snowflake beta. I think he probably gets plaudits for that sort of losing his shit on CNN. That's probably what they're going for, that's why they pay him. But in the White House briefing room, that's just not a particular effective way of doing your job. Yeah, he would be bad. He would be bad at the job. It's worth noting the guy. I'm pretty sure it was like a relatively mid level staffer from Mitch McConnell for many years before he was elevated into this role of America's heel on television by CNN.
Speaker 2: He also was he's like put.
Speaker 3: Punching way above his white class here.
Speaker 2: He was also very much against Trump in twenty sixteen. Yeah, so he was. He was an early never Trumper that quickly switched.
Speaker 3: Which is how he got on CNN in the first place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think he was a never Trumper. Then, I think he was an anti anti and now he's you know, now he's a full Trumper.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure the commersion was totally sincere and done in good faith.
Speaker 2: Loill, everything he does is sincere, and if you don't believe so, he will send you the clip.
Speaker 3: How could a man who considers Mitch McConnell a father figure to him love Donald Trump in such a way.
Speaker 2: There's another clip of him. I could play another of him on friend Adam Friedlan show, where he basically is like, yeah, I like put on a show. It's like wrestling. I do like. And then at one point Adam's like, okay, let's I'll give you any topic and you have to argue the topic, and you have to argue the position, even if it's not your position, and he gives I forget what it was, but he gives him some liberal position and it was like frightening watching Scott just like get right into it and argue the position is if he completely believed it. So again, that part is all why he would be a great Press secretary for Donald Trump. But I do not think he can handle the pressure because he is a pussy.
Speaker 3: I really have to say, heading into this podcast, I did not my over under on your use of the term pussy was definitely not too and in fact, in the nine years been doing this podcasts, maybe the first few times you on.
Speaker 2: This podcast, well, it's just it's the only thing I can think of when I think about Scott Jennings, that the word the word yes.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 10: This episode is sponsored by Better Help. You hear us mention better Help often, but what really matters is what people are saying after they give it a shot. Better Help us an average live therapy rating a four point nine out of five based on over one point seven million client session reviews. The feedback from real people who have used the service speaks for itself. More than six million people have used better Help globally. Better Help therapists have at least three years in one thousand hours of hands on experience. They also hold all required education, training and certifications across a range of mental health specialties. Meeting the perfect therapist for you could be a few clicks away. Better Help makes it easy to get started, answer a few questions, get matched with a therapist based on your needs, and switch therapists at any time if it's not the right fit. Everybody needs therapy, you get therapy. If you can, you know you got stuff you got to talk about. And maybe you're going through a breakup, or maybe you're not. Maybe you just want to figure out how to be a better person. Maybe you want to figure out why you wake up have a terrible dream about a fox that's always following you and sounds like Hillary Clinton. See the reviews and what stands out and see if Betterhelp is right for you. Is it betterhelp dot com slash PSA That's better hglp dot com slash psa.
Speaker 1: Potzave America is brought to you by Willie's Remedy. Tired of waking up hungover and bloated after your post work drink, Now you can have fun and relax without the regrets thanks to Willie's THHC infuse Social Tonic. Willies is an alcohol alternative that actually works, delivering and uplifting, euphoric buzzed you can really feel with no negative side effects. Willis is a premium THC infuse social tonic crafted by the legendary Willie Nelson, who is, as we all know, an expert into cannabis space. He's done his ten thousand hours for sure with only fifteen calories and just three grams of sugar. This tonic gives you all the fun and relaxation and none of the regret, and comes in five milligram and ten milligram doses with a delicious blend of passionfruit, lemon, and lime, enjoyed as a shot over ice or mixed into your favorite mocktail. I also like it in just like a little saltz water.
Speaker 5: It tastes perfect.
Speaker 1: Every bottle is third party lab tested for accurate dosage, so you can trust and customize your experience. One shot helps you relax, unwined and destress. Perfect for taking the edge off after a long day, and it's just as great for socializing, making good company even better. I had a little uh Willies earlier this week.
Speaker 5: I love it for a long day.
Speaker 1: It was a great way to just have a little chiller evening, little chiller at bedtime with the family with the kids, and then fall asleep even better than ever. Willies is the number one THHC infused beverage in the US, with over three hundred and fifty thousand happy customers in over one million bottles sold. Order now at Drinkwillies dot com and use the code crooked for twenty percent off your first order, plus free shipping on orders over ninety five dollars, or use the store locator to find Willis on shelves near you, like your local Total Wine Specs, ABC or local liquor store.
Speaker 2: There's a notice story that basically says Donald Trump is seriously considering Scott Jennings for this job. That he is calling around. He's doing his thing where he calls around people and asks what do you think of Scott? Do you think he's been doing on TV? So this is live that he's he's thinking about this. But at the very end of end the notice story, we should say is basically the headline is like Trump is thinking he wants to pick a man because he's had a bunch of women in this job. Who's the only man, oh Sean Spicer, right, Shawn Spicer. So he's thinking of maybe having a man. Scott Jennings was named Ari Fleischer was named God Help us. And then but at the very end of the notice piece, it ends with this tidbit quote. A person close to the White House predicted that all of the attention on the President's close aide Natalie Harp could catapult her into the position. So to be fair, as we said, Harper did do a stint on the right wing outlet one American news network OANN before working for Trump, and where she sounded like a totally normal news anchor. Let's listen, we.
Speaker 4: Can't talk about winning back the House and Senate in twenty twenty two and the White House in twenty twenty four if we don't act on the fact that we actually did win the White House and the Senate in twenty twenty. We shouldn't be afraid to say that because it's true. We the people know America as we know it could be ending in the next two or four years, which is exactly what President Trump is warning of. It just shows how desperate the Democrats were to find the votes to make up for President Trump's insurmountable lead.
Speaker 3: Really, yes, I mean not to nitpick here, but I'm not sure she fully clocked what insurmountable meant.
Speaker 2: Again, I mean some real North Korea shit there, So she has that down.
Speaker 3: By definition, the lead was quite mountable.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Natalie for Press secretary? You think that's how this whole thing ends.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine Trump separating himself from his human Binkie for several hours a day while she preps for and does the briefing.
Speaker 2: Or her separating herself from him.
Speaker 3: Yes, it goes both ways. Yeah, she would, even though it would obviously be a very lucrative position for her in the long run, she would become very famous, she would maybe get to graduate to a network better than Ann Newsmax, but she would turn it down because it would require separation from Trump.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean to be fair to her, she has more power right now. She's probably one of the most powerful people in the world in the world written now, why would she want to go be White House Press secretary?
Speaker 3: Yes, she is Geppetto to Trump's Pinocchio, just moving around one tweet at a time.
Speaker 2: All Right, one more story about women being forced to babysit Trump administration, Bozo's before we move on, because there's two this week. Jesse Jennifer Heggseeth, wife of Pete hegg Seth, gets a big story in The New York Times Today on Thursday, where she's described as her husband's most influential advisor and de facto producer, apparently attending highly sensitive meetings traveling with her husband to quote keep him out of trouble and conducting job interviews at the pen of Gone. What did you make of that story, Dan, It seemed a bit odd to me.
Speaker 3: It's not your normal relationship. But then I tried to think, imagine you or I were secretary of Defense or something like it. Okay, h and I know my wife and I know your wife, and so I kind of imagine that both those cases, they would be our closest advisors.
Speaker 2: Yes, although I would ask Emily would be like, I don't have time for your boring ship.
Speaker 3: No, she would. She'd be producing you.
Speaker 2: She would. She would, really, I don't know I would I had been into the production part of it for sure.
Speaker 3: I don't think she would be interviewing your pres secretary.
Speaker 2: She would not care about the meeting with the Ukrainian officials with.
Speaker 3: Me now, but she and they it would be deeply involved with both Halle and Emily and both cases.
Speaker 2: That's true. And and and clearly they'd have to be on the road with us to keep us out of trouble, because we've.
Speaker 3: Done a lot of travel together over the years, and we were pretty we're pretty boring. Oh No, one drink and then in bed by nine thirty so we can read.
Speaker 2: The news could stand again in a little more trouble. All right, enough of that, let's talk about the midterms, where democratic primary results continue to drive the take economy, which is obviously what matters most.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 2: Here's Politico. This is about Tuesday's results. Tuesday's primary results. Hashtag resistance. Democrats are flopping in primaries. Here's Axios. The rise of DSA is killing off resistance one point Democrats, and most definitively from the Atlantic quote, the resistance is over. Those headlines refer in part to Tuesday night's results in Florida, where State Representative Angie Nixon, a relatively unknown DSA candidate, won a massive upset against Alexander Vinman in the US Senate Democratic primary. You might remember Vinman as the former Trump national security aid from the first administration who became a national figures a key witness during Trump's twenty nineteen impeachment hearings. That's the first impeachment extra points if you can remember what that was about. Vinman was widely expected to win, refused to debate to even debate Nixon, and outraised her by fifteen million dollars. She raised less than a million dollars total for a Senate race in Florida and won the primary. Nixon now advances to the general election, where she'll faced Senator Ashley Moody, who took Marco Rubio's seat when he was selected as Secretary of State. You wrote a great message box about this result, encouraging other Democrats to learn from Nixon's unexpected win. Tell us about it. How'd you win, How'd you pull it off? What should other dums take away?
Speaker 3: Sure Nixon, as you mentioned to someone who she's a liberal. She joined the DSA during the campaign. But the typical coalition, both historically and in this cycle for DSA or very progressive members has been young voters, white college educator liberals, and a failure to make inroads with black voters and voter in more working class voters. Nixon won here because she ran up huge numbers among black voters in Florida, and she won the counties that have the largest segment of black voters. She won by thirty points. Now she is from Jacksonville and dufaul County, which is a huge slice of black voters, but she also did very well in the I four corridor, which is Tampa and Orlando. She did well in Miami Dade. We're also a lot of black voters. And even more importantly and notable, she did really well in what's called the Black Belt in northern Florida, which is the rural areas with large black communities. She just cleaned up in those counties. And then so she took this really impressive number with black voters and then combined it with younger voters, more progressive voters, more college educated voters, to give herself a thirteen point win in this primary. This when you wonder why like these progressive candidates fail in pretqularly presidential primer, you know, Bernie Sanders, Howard Dean, Gary Hart, Bill Bradley, It's because they can do the half of the coalition with young and white voters, which can get them through in the old calendar Iowa and New Hampshire, and then you get to South Carolina in the South, all these black voters, and the only candidate who's being able to put the coalition together that allowed you to win is Obama because he had college educated with liberals, young voters and black voters that have really high percentage and so like as they think about like how at a very progressive Democrat could win the Democratic nomination. It is going to look a lot more like what Angie Nixon did in Florida than Abdul Sayah did in Michigan or AOC does in New York or anything like that.
Speaker 2: It also reminded me of I mean, in Florida in twenty eighteen. That is basically how Andrew Gillham, running against DeSantis, came so close to winning that state. He didn't win it, but he was a more progressive candidate, did really really well with black voters, college educated voters, younger voters, and that was enough to what was it like eighteen thousand votes or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's but I think it's how he beat Gwen Graham in the.
Speaker 2: Right in the primary. In the primary, it does seem like Nixon will have quite a bit of an uphill climb, we should say, to win the general election. They you know, some of the forecasters moved it from one of them moved it from I think likely Republican to safe Republican. And just because I think that now, I will say I've seen her now do a couple of interviews post race, and I watched her but she's very good, very good, and if you did not, like if they did not report that she was DSA, you would never guess that she was DSA.
Speaker 3: Yes, she is a work true. This is a lot of sometimes the DSA candidates, not all of them, but some of them have sort of the I don't know, this is not a fair thing, but this was usually described for chessca hang with the faculty faculty lounge problem right where how they talk about things, And that's not actually actually a fair characterization of French Kahong's life, who worked herself up as a restaurant or a chef. But Angie Nixon is a is working class. She is a longtime champion of working class but she's an organized a community organizer, and so she when she communicates, she communicates like a community organizer, not like some sort of academic who's just sort of studying these problems. She's someone who is deeply embedded in trying to actually solve the problems that working class families are dealing with.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 2: And also she was very I mean, so I think Willie Geis asked her, so do you support abolishing prisons? She's like, no, no, I don't support abolishing prisons. I support getting rid of for profit prisons that are being like run horribly and costing us a lot of money. But like it was just she had all the answers. It was very good.
Speaker 3: I just so the challenge. The challenge here is if there is one state in the country where the DSA label is a problem, in particular, it's Florida because that so much of the of the Latino vote in that state has roots in Cuba and Venezuela, and the socialism hit attacks hit much harder there. It's one of the things that has moved Florida to the right in recent years.
Speaker 2: And again, it's just it's a gigantic state, so it's super expensive, and it's not the kind of state where you can say, all right, well, you know, look beyond the label and actually come meet me, you know, because it's just it's too big for that. So that's why it's gonna be tough anyway. So Vinman wasn't the only quote unquote resistance figure to lose this cycle. Dan Goldman lead Majority Council during Trump's twenty nineteen impeachment Representative Diana to get twenty twenty one House impeachment manager. Both lost their primaries to left wing challengers. Harry Dunn, Capitol police officer, in January sixth, lost his bid for a House seat in Maryland. George Conway, trump critic, co founder of the Lincoln Project Bulwark, came in fifth with just six percent of the vote in the Democratic primary to replace Jerry Nadler. So this has spawned a lot of resistance's overtakes. What do you think about those takes? Do these losses suggest a real trend to you? Or is the take machine trying a bit too hard here?
Speaker 3: I mean, the take machine, by definition is always trying a bit too hard fair, But there is something real here and it's actually should not be that surprising. The Trump era began eleven years ago when he started running. Yeah, he won election a decade ago. It's been a very long time, and that decade actually feels longer than an actual ten years because of the pandemic. Here we are we are struggling to remember in people who covered it every day, what happened in Trump's impeachment in twenty nineteen. Is it really feels like one hundred years ago?
Speaker 2: Ukraine perfect call Zelenski was involved, but it was before Yestery.
Speaker 3: But we didn't even know Zelensky like we know him now. He was even our hero was just a guy's a comedian who got a job, and so like that. That's all old and feels like in the past. I think that what has changed is that, and this is a good thing for Democrats, is we do not of ourselves entirely as in opposition to Trump. And so standing up and fighting Trump is necessary in a democratic primary politically, but it's insufficient. You have to be fighting for something bigger than that. You have defined your something as someone who's actually fighting to solve these big problems that I think people of the last year or so have realized are more than just Trump, Like it's a rigged economy. It's people can't get healthcare, and Trump is contributed to that, and he's certainly not helping it. But if you're simply focused on Trump, that's the problem. The other thing that I think defined a lot of these resistance one point zero characters is they are institutionalist by nature. Right, we were going to bring him down through Robert Mulla, We're going to bring him down through impeachment, and that stuff I think feels dated here and doesn't really, it doesn't have this hit in the same way to before, So they are a little so those folks are sometimes naturally out of touch with what's going on. But then when you look at each of these individual races, it really wasn't about them being resistance figures. Dan Goldman went down because of a huge dispute over Israel. George Conway was a Republican with relatively low name ID running against a really stack field of local elected officials like michae Lasher and Alex Boris.
Speaker 2: That was my problem with this is I just don't think any of the dots connect, Like, yes, what they have in common is they all are you could call them all resistance figures. But every single race was different for different reasons.
Speaker 3: I think it was someone amous how in each of the races Trump was really wasn't that big a deal. He wasn't the dominant figure in the conversation, which wasn't good for the people who became famous for standing up to Trump.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's also not just how long we've been doing this, which is a long time, a long time, but it's what is coming next, which is like we are almost at the end of the Trump era. Yeah, you can see the light, right, and so if you're I mean, and this is going to be especially true in the twenty twenty eight primaries. But like all of those Democratic candidates that are going to run for president, why would they talk that much about Trump? They'll probably talk about how they're going to fix the damage Trump has done. But like there it's it's sort of like we dealt with this in the campaign in two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight, it's very similar where there was a lot of Bush pashing, obviously, but at some point in that primary, I remember Obama was like the real question is, like we know that George Bush isn't coming back as president, and the question is what's next, Like what's next for the country and where are we going to go and what's going to happen and and like that's where all these Democratic candidates are going to have to pivot very soon after the midterms.
Speaker 3: And then we won the nomination, and we ran approximately eighty million dollars of ads with a video of John McKinney getting into a golf cart with George W.
Speaker 4: Bush.
Speaker 2: Well, that'll be and that will be the campaign against Jade Vance.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, there will be or.
Speaker 2: Or if Mark or Rubio somehow makes it out or anyone, if anyone is the nominee connected to the Trump administration. Yes, then that that six months or seven months or whatever the campaign, that will all be about Donald Trump. And then but in terms of a primary and what you're gonna do, uh for the country, it's it's beyond Trump at that point. So I think that's something to keep in mind for people.
Speaker 10: Podtave Americas brought you by cook Unity. I love cook Unity. I get it every week right down my fridge. I have this Greek gyra, have this chicken salad. They have a great penney and broccoli and chicken pasta that I really like. They just have a lot of great options. I get four every week. It just is so that I know, like whether it's lunch or dinner when I get home that a couple times a week, I don't have to think about it. I just have a great meal from cook Unity co. Comunity is the first chef led meal delivery service that makes your meals and small batches inside local micro kitchens across the US, not factories, so every dish arrives with the kind of freshness you'd get at the restaurant itself. Meals from Michelin star chefs, James Beard winners and Food Network stars. Go to cookmunity dot com slash crooked or use code crooked before checkout for fifty percent off your first week. Cook Community works with some of the best chefs in the country to bring creative, delicious meals to your door. There are hundreds of dishes to choose from, and the menu is updated constantly over ten different dietary preferences high protein, sodium, GLP one, pescatarian, gluten free, and more. Or twenty five global cuisines Mediterranean, Korean, Time, Mexican, Italian, and more. Taste what happens when real award winning chefs make fresh, small batch meals just for you. Go to cookunity dot com slash crooked or enter code crooked before check out to get fifty percent off your first order. That's fifty percent off your first order by using code crooked or going to cookunity dot com slash crooked.
Speaker 3: Pose America is brought to you by Jolee.
Speaker 1: If you struggle with chronic skin concerns like dryness, sensitivity, breakouts, or scalp issues, you've probably tried a lot of products with ingredients that promise to address them, But what about the ingredient with which your skin comes into the most frequent contact Your home's water. Water quality majorly affects your skin and hair, so give both the best chance by switching to a Joe Lee shower filter.
Speaker 3: If you have hard water.
Speaker 1: Like most of us do here in La Jolye is a solution to filter out chlorine, heavy metals and everything else you don't want in your water that can damage your skin and hair. The Jolie shower head installs in minutes, fits all showers, delivers amazing pressure, and elevates any space. The small lipbrade can make a big difference in how your skin hair feel all year long. Plus the sleek aesthetic of the Jolie shower head means your bathroom will instantly feel more chic. A bunch of folks here on the team have installed some Jolie showerheads in their homes. They say it's very easy to do, it takes only a couple of minutes, and that you get better waterflow, The water pressure is really great and also you will notice a difference in your skin and hair once you get all that don't.
Speaker 2: What the hell is in hard water?
Speaker 5: What makes it hard soft?
Speaker 10: She gets calcium crap anyway, Sure you don't want that in your hair.
Speaker 5: Or your skin.
Speaker 1: Try Jolie risk free for sixty days by going to Jolie skinco dot com slash crooked That's Jollie skinco dot com slash crooked, j O l I E s k I n c O dot com slash crooked. Jolie is also available on Amazon and Costco, both online and in store.
Speaker 2: Let's turn to Alaska. Former Democratic Congresswoman Mary Peltola was the top vote getter in the state's jungle primary on Tuesday, where she outperformed ablic Dan Sullivan by five point four points, with ninety eight percent of the vote reported. Alaska unsurprisingly takes a while to count. There's still some few rural areas coming in. The top four vote getters now advanced to the November runoff election, which is expected to include the other Dan Sullivan. Dan J. Sullivan Junior, a retired school teacher who Republicans maintain entered the election to sabotage the nominee, Dan S. Sullivan, and whose candidacy is now being probed by Trump's DOJ who got a grand jury to subpoena witnesses connected to the campaign. Before we get to that, let's start with Peltola's results. What did you make of her outperforming the real Dan Sullivan and what it may or may not pretend for the general election, which will happen in a couple months.
Speaker 3: It's certainly a good sign because she won by five points. Even if you took out if you gave all of the fake Dan Sullivan's votes to the real Dan Sullivan, she still wins by two and a half points. So that is good now, So it's positive sign.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 3: It's worth just noting that about one hundred and thirty three thousand people I think voted in this primary, and the last Senate race had twice that than twenty twenty two when Rokowski was up, so and probably even more this time because this would be a more competitive race. So this is only about half the electorate in Alaska voting. But look, a five point lead or a very Republican is thirteen save Trump one by thirteen points is a great place to be in August of the electioneer.
Speaker 2: What about Dan J. Sullivan? Do you think he's on the ballot come November, or is the DOJ going to intimidate him off the ballot. I know there was already a ruling that he could be on the ballot from I believe the State Supreme Court.
Speaker 3: I think they are going to try to intimidate and get him off the bout, Like why else would they be doing this. They think if this is a very very close race, then Dan J. Sullivan could be very bad for Dan S. Sullivan if I think it did that correctly. He did, but he seems pretty committed to his goal of being Senator.
Speaker 2: And confusing people. I think it's his goal.
Speaker 3: He was Alaska John of course, of course, ye don't make don't make the DJ's case for them, for them.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get this subbinia. Yeah, I know nothing.
Speaker 3: You're gonna You're gona end up in an ad.
Speaker 2: This is the first I've heard about this, just have heard about this Dan Sullivant character. I don't know. I'm gonna look into him. Maybe he's a Maybe he's gonna be a great leader for Alaska. Who knows. Anyway, that's Alaska. On the other side of the country in South Carolina, Congressman Ralph Norman and Darlene Graham will face off in next week's runoff election to decide which of them will replace Senator Lindsay Graham on the November ballot. Darlene, who's currently serving out the remainder of her brother's term, was the top vote get her in the first round of the primary and has Donald Trump's endorsement. He will be campaigning for her in the state on Friday, apparently, but during her one and only debate with Norman this week, she gave one hell of an answer to a question about foreign policy. Let's listen.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, could you repeat the quick our Taiwan and the South China see national security issues for the United States, and if so, why or how. I'm just gonna be honest to you. I'm not on a security that I'm not that informed on national security, so but I do support the military. My brother was in the Air Force for thirty three years, so I will do everything I can to support the military. My dad was in the Army. I'm not a polished politician up here. National security is not my thing, not my area of expertise, but I do support the military.
Speaker 2: In case I didn't make it clear, the first time, I will say a second time that national security is not my thing, and just to be extra clear, I'll say one more time, I am not an expert on national security. Just to make sure you have all the context you need for the ad and that you don't have to infer anything.
Speaker 3: Rough Dann rough Right, there is exactly why you don't pick people with no qualifications to be senator just because they are blood relatives of the previous senator.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if she wins the primary, because.
Speaker 3: It's the general, she wins this, I think.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying is obviously South Carolina is a long shot here. I do think that any Andrews is the Democrat running on the Democratic side, And before Lindsay Graham passed away, there were poles that had her within a couple of points. She has raised a lot of money. Again, still a huge long shot, but I think she probably at this point, I think it's an easier race. I think she has a better chance against Darlene Graham than she does Ralph Norman, even though Ralph Norman is like Freedom Caucus crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's right. I think that's right one hundred percent, that this is we just randomly pass the Senate seat along like it's the the iron throne. So then the nextperst regredless of hown qualified they are. Yes, I think that like once again hard state. We have been quite burned by summer polls in South Carolina Senate races before. For sure, for sure, look in a very Democratic year with a very very bad candidate and a good Democratic cannon and Andrews. Anything is potentially on the table.
Speaker 2: And it'll also be interesting to see, you know, Trump's endorsement going to campaign for her, does that like Trump has now had a couple endorsements that haven't gone well, including Tuesday Night. He lost three on Tuesday Night, three on Tuesday Night. And this will be pretty high profile if she if she goes down.
Speaker 3: So this is going to be the real to tell the people who can't win the Democratic Party you can pass the marshmallow test because the short term one marshmallow benefit is we all get to dunk on Trump next Wednesday if she loses, but then they definitely get the Senate seat. We can delay gratification to November. We might have a shot at an extra Senate seat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone practiced being like, oh, Trump's endorsement still still matters. That Donald Trump is his grip on the party is still strong. Everyone just practiced that for a little bit, all right. So one issue that does seem to be panicking Republican campaigns all across the country right now is data centers. Earlier this week, Axios reported that the NRSC, the Republican Senate campaign arm, sent memo to AI companies warning them that voters' opinions on data centers may lose them the Ohio Senate race. The memo details how Shared Brown has made opposition to data centers a quote centerpiece of his campaign, and warns the companies that are Republican nominee John Houstad loses quote, data centers will get the blame. Politicians across the country will take notice, and they will not go near the next one. The NRSC goes on to ask the companies to quote fix how Ohio and see data centers? I guess by not having them, though they don't say that. More broadly, data center backlash has forced elected officials and candidates in both parties to recalibrate their messaging. For example, the Republican in Wisconsin's gubernatorial race, Tom Tiffany is running ads now calling his opponent data center David Crowley. First of all, what do you think of the NRSC strategy of pleading with AI companies on this one? What do you think they're up to there?
Speaker 3: Well, the text is we're pleating with the AA companies to do a better job of pr for data centers. The subtext is we want the AI companies, through the through their leading the future super pac that has one hundred and twenty million dollars or so in the bank, to spend money to help make sure that John Houstead wins, because if John Hustad loses, everyone will read that as being a lost I do entirely to data centers, and it will be very, very bad for the industry's ability to build data centers around the country because then everybably every Democratic Republican will be anti data center. So it is just basically a fundraising ask to get these super PACs to come in here and help Houstead.
Speaker 2: And I'm just going to throw out a guess here, but if the super PACs do come in and help Houstead, I wonder if they will go the route of a pack and maybe not run ads trying to make data centers more appealing and defending data centers, but perhaps run ads against Shared Brown on unrelated topics that they think they have a better political political argument on, because that seems to be what super PACs do these days.
Speaker 3: If you are a super pac representing a very very unpopular interest group, then yes, that's what you're going to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So here's how Shared is talking about data centers and his opponent, oh I.
Speaker 3: Was electric grid.
Speaker 9: Big corporations treat it like a game, gobbling up energy to feed their data centers, no matter how much it raises our prices. It's the latest way they've rigged the system, costing the average Ohio and thousands of dollars, with prices still going up. I'm sure Brown, I'll require the data centers pay the full cost of their electricity, not you. They don't get to play games with your energy bill. That's why I approve this message.
Speaker 2: What do you think of that ad? What do you think of this debate in general, which is now popping up in I mean, we mentioned Ohio, but in Wisconsin, but it's happening in races all across the country. Gubernatorial races, house races, senate races. It's everywhere.
Speaker 3: Just as an organic plug. It makes it organic if I say it that next week on Monday, we're going to have a whole special on data center ads the Brain Tyler comin and I did on the Cricket YouTube channels. Peoplehold check that out part of our political Experts React series. But this is You're right, this happening everywhere. It's a huge issue in Texas where Gina Inejosa and Greg Gabbett are competing to see who could be the most anti data center. She has an incredible ad that Brian and I watched. That is where she asks a AI chatbot about what why electricity prices are so high onces happen in data centers. Just today in Michigan, Mike Rogers came out for a one year moratorium on data centers. Josh Pirou, who had been very pro data center, is now anti data center. He is an attack at UP today criticizing his opponent for being pro data center. This is, I think, potentially the signature issue of this selection for several reasons. One, it galvanizes Democrats and Republicans. The polling in here is, you know, two thirds don't want a data center in their community. Two thirds think the data center centators are being built too fast. People are very concerned about the impact of AI, and data centers represent several things in one in one fell suit for people fear about AI, fear about an economy. It's leaving them behind a lack of control with these big tech overlords who are making decisions for their lives, a cricket system where they're all giving money to politicians into Trump and building ballrooms so that they can do whatever they want. And most importantly, affordability because the states of the data center issue is the biggest Texas in Maine in particular, it's around where they have the highest electricity, electricity and utility prices. And so this is like you're going to see every politician is going to It's going to be very hard for defining politic issues to be pro data center other than Donald Trump, who's out there every day talking about why data centers are great. And it's like just an incredible contrast for Democrats because Mike Rodgers can be formatorium, Tom Tiffany can sort of lie about his position. At the end of the day, they are Trump Republicans, and Trump wants to build a data center on every corner in.
Speaker 2: America, Democrats have had a couple different positions on those different Democratic candidates. There is the moratorium, we want just a moratorium on data centers, no data centers. And then there is and I think this is where Tom Tiffany thought he had an opening with David Crowley and Josh Shapiro. Similarly with his executive order that he just signed, sort of has this position, which is no data centers unless all of these conditions are met. And so I think in Pennsylvania now, like you can't even get a permit from the state for a data center unless it is approved by the local community. And also they have to pay for all of their own costs, all of the higher electricity rates. It gets into the weeds here. I went down a rabbit hole on this. You can't have them pay for all of the potential increases in electricity because it's spread across multiple states, right, which is a problem. But there's a big part of the power generation and the electricity that they can pay for to hold rate payers, to hold everyone else harmless on this, right, so that you don't you don't have higher rates because of this. There's also like they can do stuff about the water issues and the energy issues like and then you can as opposed to some states that have been giving tax breaks to data centers, which seems crazy to me. Now there's states like Virginia, and there's a big story about Louden County where there's more data centers than anywhere else, which basically the data centers have to pay so much in tax revenue to the community where they're in that these communities now like Louden County are becoming like you're getting all these property tax cuts and you're building these great schools and giving teachers raises, and so it's like you can you can set out all these conditions for data centers that could help a community and could still get them built, or you could say no moratorium, that's it. Do you think that a Democrat with a position like Shapiro, like David Crowley, do you think that's still a politically good position to have and still gives you the contrast you need against Republicans.
Speaker 3: I think it is a moratorium is a much cleaner position. And I think the way to think about a moratorium is it is not an argument that will never build data centers again. It's that if you want to build a data center, you have to negotiate with the local community and the starting and I'm cribbing from another organic a very excellent conversation you have with fashion here on offline about politics in general. But you got to you dug deep on data centers because more perfect Union his organization has done a lot of work. Here is the point of the moratorium, is says our view is no data center. If you want to build a data center, you're going to have to come to us, and you're gonna have to meet our demands. And here's what our demands are. And what's important is the local community. This is why the tax and centers are so stupid. Is the local communities have the leverage here. Yes, these companies are desperately desperately desperately to try and to get the data they these communities are desperately desperately definitely need these data centers to continue building their large language models to do their work. And so they need it and they if we don't get data centers, they're fucked. And so to use that to make decisions about where it is, how much they're going to pay, what standards are going to be in place, how are they going to protect the community from you know, bad you know, harmful environment so harmful environmental impacts, the increased costs, all of those things, because there are there are going to be This was Crowley's point when I talked about this, which is not it was not delivered the most politically savvy way because of the politics here. But there are communities in Wisconsin other places that are in rural areas that are looking for an economic engine of some kind, and so they're open to this idea and what the AA comis were doing.
Speaker 2: Before because originally I was like, but they don't even create that many jobs. Like you there's there's jobs building the data center, and then there's like a couple of security guards. You know, Like yeah, that's exaggeration, but like they don't create a ton of jobs, but the revenue that they can potentially provide that is like a constant stream of a fuckload of revenue to a community like that lets the community do quite a bit of good.
Speaker 3: Previously, I think the AI companies were taking advantage of these communities. And now the communities have gotten organized, they are pushing back. They're getting support from leaders like Shapiro or to any evers or others to be able to go into these negotiations and come out ahead and then make an honest decision is this the right thing for our community, you know, based on our economic needs, our environmental concerns. But at least they have a fighting chance against these companies that have just them just essentially bribing the local council and moving in and getting it done before anyone even has a chance to blink.
Speaker 2: I totally agree with you though that, and I think it's a really smart way to think about it, which is it is much easier and cleaner and more accessible to say like, yes, I want a data center moratorium, and then when someone says, oh, no data center built forever, then you're like, no, a moratorium unless a whole bunch of conditions are met, and then you can, you know, or unless you negotiate with the local community and everyone's conditions are met in the local community where it's going to have the biggest impact, you know, as opposed to saying like well I kind of wi't like data centers, but I need this, that and the other thing, like just for political communication here, I do think it's easier to just talk about a moratorium, Okay, up next, you will hear love It's interview with Iowa's Democratic Senate nominee Josh Turk.
Speaker 10: Pot Dave America is brought to you by Bilt. Here's a question, are you getting rewarded for paying your rent or mortgage right now? If the answer is no, you need to check out Built. Becoming a Built member means earning points on every housing payment, no matter where you live. Built points could be redeemed for fights, hotels, lyft rides, Amazon dot com, purchases, future housing payments, and more. It's great to use it for lyft rides. It's great to use it for gift cards. You can use it on Amazon dot com. Built a new AI neighborhood concierge doesn't just answer questions. It executes tasks from paying your rent and hailing a lift to booking dinner reservations across fifty thousand plus partners. It handles your to do list while automatically applying your member benefits. So first download the Built app. Second, link any credit or debit card to the app, so purchases that your local spots become even more rewarding. And third, ask the neighborhood concierge in the app pretty much anything, and it'll alert you about exclusive member benefits near your home. Download the Built up and join the membership for where you live at Join built dot com, slash crooked. That's JOI n B I lt dot com slash crooked. Use our link so they know we sent you.
Speaker 11: So.
Speaker 10: I'd love to talk to you about your endorsement from Barack Obama, which you announced last month with a video. Let's just start with a clip.
Speaker 5: Well again, who's got next?
Speaker 3: I got it? You ready for me and Josh?
Speaker 5: Ready?
Speaker 11: Let's go were playing.
Speaker 5: Horse or what we're playing? Iowa?
Speaker 3: Tell me how things are going out there?
Speaker 12: Everywhere we go, urban areas, rural areas, people are ready for change.
Speaker 11: Oh, I thought I had that one.
Speaker 3: That's Iowa right there.
Speaker 11: But a lot of people have heard me say this. Of all the things I've done in politics, Iowa was my favorite thing. There was just a magic about regular folks showing up in gym's like this, like this and just talking out how do we move our state forward, how to move the country forward.
Speaker 12: I'll tell you what people all across Iowa saying that they're feeling that hope, that optimism for the first time in a long time.
Speaker 11: That's my sense.
Speaker 5: That's why I think's going to happen. Man.
Speaker 10: First of all, just how did that video come together? And what was it like actually shooting it on that day?
Speaker 5: Sure it came together. We I head.
Speaker 12: I was in Chicago and I ended up meeting with David Axel through a colleague of mine in the Iowa Legislature and sat down was trying to convince him on myself on Iowa that this thing is absolutely winnable. We could be seat number fifty one in the US Senate. And when we finished, he texted me and said, look, I'd love to be helpful however I can. I said, I've got this crazy idea where we've been including basketball so much and playing Iowa with people, going to the YMCA in Des Moines, and I said, I've got this crazy idea where all I need is President Obama just raised his hand five times, just five shots, and he said, well, let me see what I can do, and forty hours later text me back and said, I think he's interested.
Speaker 5: I think this thing is going to happen.
Speaker 12: And came together and incredible, I mean, my political hero. It was a surreal moment as I'm shooting and I'm looking over and I'm like, oh my god, I'm playing horse against as we're calling it, Iowa against President Obama, and honestly a great shooter, really really good shooter.
Speaker 10: I will say my first reaction when I saw the ad was wow. I am shocked that he agreed to film an ad that is about him missing shots and ultimately losing the game. He must really want, like, he must really want to do this because he's competitive and this is like, Oh, they're going to show you winning and you're going to show the times where he's like missing shots like that must have he wasn't.
Speaker 6: Been a little reluctant.
Speaker 10: Well, we didn't know who was going to win. We played a lit No, I'm not suggesting it was a rig gama. I'm not suggesting it. But he still obviously was going to be he was going to be shown missing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we came out here.
Speaker 12: Here's what I'll say. He came out, he missed his first shot or two. I gave him a letter. I he gave me a letter. I because I'm having one of those surreal moments, I'm looking over like, oh my god, I'm playing President Obama. I ended up beating him. Iowa to I, but he was. He was talking trash to me the entire game. He's like, look, I'm not going to let you win. I said, mister President, with all due respect, I'm certainly not going to let you win. I have a reputation here. I'm a two time gold medal, so I'm a four time Paralympian. Like, I'll never hear the end of it. If I let you beat me.
Speaker 3: You're prop He's got to go. That's right.
Speaker 10: So on the other hand, I saw a post recently so Trump said that you are lazy. Donald Trump has accused you of being lazy. Now when you were recuperating from twenty one surgeries, or being bullied by other kids, or training for the Paralympics, or being cut six times and then winning multiple gold medals, or dragging your own wheelchair up the stairs to canvas for votes, do you ever stop to think about how much further you could go in life if you weren't such a lazy piece of shit.
Speaker 12: I found that one fascinating because so much of my story is overcoming adversity. As you said, I grew up in a working class family, working class community where we went to the Goodwill for clothes shared clothes surgeries.
Speaker 5: By the age of twelve. I had my first surgery one day old.
Speaker 12: And then, as you said, I mean, I was cut six straight years from the national team. I kept coming back year after year after year, saying eventually, I'm going to get good enough. You can ask anyone of my national team teammates. I was absolutely one of the hardest workers and to win. I represent the reddest district that's represented by a Democrat in the Iowa Legislature. The two communities I represent trump one Carter Lake by eighteen points and one Council BLUs by ten points. I was able to win by six six percent. And I went out every single day, rain or shine, hot or cold, dragging my wheelchair upstairs to have conversations with Independence and Republicans because the match just didn't work any other way. And so I almost got a chuckle out of saying you're lazy. It's like, if nothing else, I'm an unbelievably hard worker and trusuly. I'm really proud of my time in the Iowa Legislature. When I first joined the legislature, I was told outright, you'll never get a subcommittee you'll never get a committee, you'll certainly never get anything signed by the governor.
Speaker 5: And I said, I refuse.
Speaker 12: I'm the first permanently physically disabled member of the Ible Legislature. I'm like, you can teach a monkey to come up here and push the red button over and over. I've got to get stuff done. And so I did the hard work behind the scenes that nobody will ever hear about, building relationships, finding stretch bail fellows where we can disagree on ninety percent of policy, but we're going to agree on this one thing that's going to really help people. And I was able to be one of the most effective and one of the most bipartisan members of the Ible Legislature. I think that's what people want.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you recently put on an ad talking about your bipartisan record, including your willingness to work with Trump if you're elected to the Senate. I just want to understand the voters you're trying to reach. And when I see that ad, I think, oh, there's a hump you're trying to get people over. There's a bunch of people out there that may be dissatisfied with the state of things in Iowa, in the country but they're a little bit uncomfortable with the idea of voting for a Democrat. And I'm just curious what you're trying to say to those people and what it's like being out talking to those kinds of voters.
Speaker 12: I believe to my core that more than Republican versus Democrat, I think, particularly in Iowa, I think what people want is they want a representative that is going to do the hard work behind the scenes. That what they want is they want a representative that is going to work to solve people's problems through policy, but through bipartisan policy. And so what I want them to understand about me is I'm not an overt tribalist. I'm a common sense, pray populist. So my political north star is always what's best for Iowa, what's best for Iowa's what's best for the middle class, what is best for our workers. And I think we've got to get back to this country over party mentality. And so I say I agree with President Trump that we shouldn't have tax on tips or overtime, or that we need to drive private equity out of housing, fight like hell where and when we need to, but also be willing to do the work behind the scenes to provide solutions to peeples problems, because I think that's what I once demand, and so I think that's the purpose of that.
Speaker 10: So you recently stopped by the Iowa Speedway to talk to voters. Part of what politics is today is the fight on the ground to break through the assumptions people have based on what they're seeing on Fox News, based on what they're seeing on social media, including just getting people to kind of not adopt the tone of what politics has on the Internet. And I'm just curious what it's like being on the trail in Iowa, in red places at a NASCAR event where there's going to be a lot of people that are not just independents or moderates or maybe Republicans who are unhappy with Trump, but true diehards for Trump. And if you've had any interesting conversations with some of those people on the campaign trail, it's been great.
Speaker 12: My favorite thing about doing this is being I love people. I love being able to get out there talk to people, hear their stories, hear what they're going through. And then when you're willing to listen to people is when you can actually think about, well, here's a solution that we could provide to them through policy. I love being able to get all over the state to a state that I was born in, raised in. We've got ninety nine counties. It's a beautiful state, really really good people there. Truly is an Iowa nice I've been all over the country, all over the world. There is a uniqueness to the people of Iowa. But I think that modern politics, the coin of the realm now is meeting people about politics in an apolitical fashion. So that's why the Obama video we include so much basketball. Bring them in with the basketball, then talk to him about politics. I did Ragbriy des Moines Register's Great Annual Bike Ride across Iowa.
Speaker 5: I did day one.
Speaker 12: I did sixty miles, the hottest day of the hilliest day, the humidst day. But there was forty thousand writers out there being able to talk to people, engage them.
Speaker 5: And the same with NASCAR.
Speaker 12: So part of this for me is I think that a mistake that too many Democrats have made over the last decade in my state is they have thought about this math problem incorrectly. They thought we've just got to maximize turnout in the urban areas. Pole County, Johnson County. But ultimately we're rural state, and so you've got to be willing to go into the lions, and you've got to be willing to go into all ninety nine counties, every one of these mid size, small communities and go and talk to them. And what I've learned representing a really red district is you won't win every single one of them over, but you will win enough to trim the margins. And every one of those Republicans that we went over is a double vote. One at of her call them and one of my call them.
Speaker 5: But what's it?
Speaker 3: I'm really actually I'm okay.
Speaker 10: Those are the people you're getting, and those are the people you want to get to win this race. But Iowa as a state that sent Tom Harkin to the Senate for thirty years, Barack Obama one it twice, it then shifted to the right and swung very hard to Trump right. Like, what are you hearing from the people? Like in terms of the long road of kind of getting people to see either Democrats in a different way or politics in a different way, I'm curious about what those conversations are like with the people. You're not going to get right, like you're talking to people, you're not winning them all over? What are those conversations like? What are they missing?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 10: You're running against somebody that voted to cut healthcare in Iowa to fund the Warner Rons. Mean, it's deeply unpopular, but there are people that are gonna be upset about that but still be unable to vote for you, And I'm curious what that is like.
Speaker 12: I've had a handful of conversations, even with some Republicans when I was on ragbri and they said, you know, you don't have my vote, but I've got a whole lot of respect for you, and certainly I appreciate that. But what I'll tell you is, regardless of where I am in the state of Iowa, urban areas, rural areas, I keep hearing the exact same story, which is, islands are struggling just to keep food on the table, a roof of other head pay their electric bill, and now with this war in Iran be able to put gas in their tank. I think that a couple of things Iowa is we basically hit the bottom. We're one of three states already seeing our economy contract. We're basically dead last for every healthcare metric. Just since Ashley Henson's been elected, eight hundred and forty two healthcare entities have closed in Iowa, and she's voting for cuts to healthcare. I mean, one hundred ten thousand islands are going to lose their healthcare outright because her votes. One hundred and nineteen thousand islands seeing their healthcare premiums double or triple, or horror stories like I've heard quadruple where a state that we were basically the gold standard in public education, we've precipitously dropped down from the gold standard now down to the bottom half because of giving private schools public money. We've got a water quality crisis that's not being addressed. We've got a cancer christ were basically the only state with a growing cancer rate, second highest rates behind Kentucky, and now we lead the nation in farm foreclosures, largely driven by the tariffs. But also I think this warn Iran, which Ashley Hinson is voted in favor of continuing six times, four times in favor of the tariffs, it is disapportionately hurt Iowa. We've lost three islands in the conflict, and then you're looking at this driving up fuel cost, fertilizer cost, in diesel costs, which is disprophurting the farm cures. This is a state that is really hurting, that is ready for change. Everywhere that we're going, people are saying to me, this is not the Iowa. I know, this is not the state that I grew up in. We need change both at the state level and the federal level. And I think that a common sense Prairie populist like myself is where they're willing to park their votes. But it's a state that's ready for change.
Speaker 10: So your opponent, yes, votes for the big beautiful bill, votes to send more money to the Pentagon, additional funding for the war in Iran. Also really embraced and just a lot of Republicans kind of held their nose and thought Doge was kind of okay. They were unsure where to She's a huge fan of Doge, part of the Doge Caucus. It seems like there's that just seems like bad politics to me, a kind of unabashedly. So is it just about getting Elon Musk to drop money in the state?
Speaker 3: Is she like, what is the.
Speaker 10: What is your argument against Ashley Hintson and why is it that this is somebody running for the Senate in Iowa who seems to be not really even worried about her past positions in the race.
Speaker 3: It's confusing.
Speaker 12: She comes out when she announces that she's going to run for the US Senate. She says, I want to be Donald Trump's best ally in the US Senate. Says nothing about Iowa. Nothing about Iowan's nothing about the middle class, the state that is hurting pharm economy, that's collapsing cancer rates, etc. Yeah, she has voted for cuts to health care, to food assistants, just to give tax breaks to billionaires. It's been a level of essentially naked corruption with her. She is now up to ten times more wealthy than when she entered Congress just six years ago, taken fifty thousand dollars of taxpayer money to give herself a luxury DC apartment. I think the calculus was she looks at a state that Trump carries by twelve points, and she says, all I need to do is just get Trump voters to turn out and vote for me, and I'm just going to have a cake walk to the United States Senate. But this is a fundamentally different state and I don't think she was prepared for a common sense, prairie populace like myself, with proven results of being able to win over independence and moderate Republicans. And we're getting big turnouts, particularly in the rule areas of you know, thirty percent of Iowa voters or Independence, and so these are the kingmakers. But we're also getting a lot of card carrying Republicans that have said, voted for Trump, voter for Ernst, voter for Grassley, even vote for Henson, and enough's enough.
Speaker 5: We need change.
Speaker 12: We need change at the state level and the federal level. And I think this is a once in a generation opportunity that we've got in Iowa to not just change the state, but in Trump's first midterm in Iowa, we want three of the four congressional races. We've got an amazing opportunity here to change the country just in Iowa, and I think we're going to come November, We're going to do something really special.
Speaker 10: It seems like part of what the Republicans are counting on is that not only is this a Trump state, but that the Democratic brand is so tarnished that they can overwhelm the ways in which you are unique as a candidate to try to kind of ride on the idea that like, oh, people just generally find Democrats, I don't know, annoying, whatever it might be. How much is just being a Democrat a hindrance to you? And what would you like the Democratic if you asked Iowans or the people you're trying to reach, like, what does the Democratic Party mean to you? What would you like it to be in people's minds?
Speaker 12: The reason why I'm a Democrat and what the Democratic Party means to me is because I think at its essence, it's fighting for the little guy. And so I'm always reminded of a quote from JFK where it's you know, why do you align politically the way that you do? Because I believe in looking forward, not back. Because I care about people's wages, their jobs, their healthcare, their schools, their civil rights. I think that's the essence of why I'm a Democrat, and I think that at our best, that's really who we are and what we stand for. I think that going forward, especially if we're going to win in Prairie states like Iowa, it has to be really clear that we are the party of the people, party of the middle class party of the workers. That's why I define myself as a Commons. It's pretty populist and that's certainly the way forward. We can't be the lesser of two evils. We can't just be a corporate version. Got to go out there with really, really clear ideas. And the other thing that I say, I am just absolutely laser focused on cost, corruption, kitchen table issues. That's what this election's about, the issues that apply to three point two million islands. So that's a livable wage, affordable housing, affordable healthcare, affordable pharmaceuticals, drinkable water, addressing the cancer rates, functioning public schools, infrastructure, and addressing corruption. And that's a corruption in terms of the need for campaign finance reform. But that's also going out there and talking about the need for ethics reforms, term limits, banning members of Congress from owning and trading stocks, because people like my opponent Ashley Hinson shouldn't be going up to DC and in six years becoming ten times more wealthy, or putting a provision in place where I believe that every single Member of Congress should be forced to have at least one annual town hall because I believe that members of Congress should be accountable to their constituents, to the people, not just to the billionaires, the large corporations, the donors and the lobbyist. That's what I'm focused on, and that message is clearly resonating with Islands.
Speaker 10: How much money is coming in to the state from outside groups, like how much you worried about that? And what are you like sort of what are you What can people listening do to kind of help right now?
Speaker 12: If they want to see us be able to win this US Senate race, if they care about the country, they care about addressing corruption, if they want to have somebody that's going to be in there fighting for the people, not just for the billionaires and the large corporations, certainly join us. Go to Turrek Foriowa dot Com in chip in a few dollars because I'm not taking any corporate pac money in this. Yeah, Ashley Hinson, she's sitting on already fifty million dollars between all the packs and the super pac money. The state's being flooded with it because we've got you know, congressional races and Attorney general race. It's going to be a competitive, a competitive gubernatorial race, and the Senate race. And it's funny. I was just with my parents the other day and my mom gave me a stack of mailers that she had received, and it's just you know, out of state super pac, super Pac, super Pac. So the money is there, but this is a real chance for us to have to win this and be able to change the state and change the country and have a voice in the United States Senate from Iowa like what we had for so long, for thirty years we had Senator Tom Harkin, my political hero, the father of the American Went Disabilities Act.
Speaker 5: And I believe that this.
Speaker 12: Is our opportunity to have someone in the US Senate that's going to be fighting for the people, fighting for Iowa and iowands, and fighting for social and economic justice. And these social safety nets have allowed so many of us to be successful, like Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, and not just like what Ashley Hinson has done just enriched herself and just looked out for the haves, for the billionaires in the large corporations.
Speaker 5: That's the opportunity that we've got this year in Iowa.
Speaker 10: So I married in Minnesotan, and so I have married into the best state fair in the country, but I would love to hear why the Iowa State Fair is second best.
Speaker 5: The Iowa State Fair is incredible. And have you been to the Iowa State Fair.
Speaker 10: No, I've only been to the Minnesota State Okay, well, then you've got to.
Speaker 5: Come to ours before you make a final determination.
Speaker 12: But I know that people in Minnesota will say, well, we get a few more people in the door than Iowa, so ours is better.
Speaker 5: Iowa State Fair is absolutely amazing.
Speaker 12: You've got animals from every part of the state, so many unique people, unbelievable amounts.
Speaker 5: Of crazy food.
Speaker 12: I mean I was eating a pickled pizza and deep fried oreos, I mean hot dogs, corn dogs. I had a corn dog with peanut butter and jelly on it, which honestly pretty decent. And then you've got all these games and just people from all over the state, and it's beauty and a great energy.
Speaker 5: I did my Iowa Soapbox there and.
Speaker 12: Look, there were some people there with signs it's you know, that were clearly not in favor of.
Speaker 5: Me, but they were respectful.
Speaker 12: And afterwards I heard from a lot of people it said, look, Josh, I'm an independent. I didn't think I was going to go for you, but I like what you said, I like who you are, I like what you stand for. You got my vote coming November.
Speaker 10: Here are some of the current items that you can get at the Iowa State Fair. You can get the these are all on a stick. Bacon, cheeseburger, corn dog, hot Cheetoh, mozzarella, corn dog, rattlesnake, corn dog, jumbo plumper, foot long corn hot.
Speaker 3: Dog, dilly dog.
Speaker 5: What's a dilly dog? I don't know what a dilly dog is?
Speaker 10: Chicken bacon, ranch waffle on a stick, star spangled swine, why not? That's pork belly with an apple, chipotle rub bacon, pecan pie on a stick. And finally, and this is I found mystifying something called yummy thing on a stick, no other information provided. Are you aware of what the yummy thing is and what the thing we'd be eating would be?
Speaker 12: I am not, but I will certainly be back there again a handful of times, and so I will definitely try the yummy thing on a stick. But yeah, anything on a stick and anything that can be deep fried, we've got it there at the Iowa State Fair.
Speaker 5: It really is.
Speaker 12: It's it's just absolutely incredible. I've loved it, and I was also able to clean them out of a few stuffed animals that I end up giving to my wife.
Speaker 5: With the shooting games, which I was proud of.
Speaker 10: Coming like a ringer, I will say a little disappointing to see that asa e bowls and could praise a salad on a stick made it onto the venue.
Speaker 3: I feel like.
Speaker 10: The socialists must be stopped. But shrimp corn dog was listed as a health food, which I think is actually kind of makes me. That makes me feel America's going to be okay. Yeah, I did want to ask. You talked about being bullied.
Speaker 3: As a kid.
Speaker 10: Have any of the people that to the point where you almost or you did leave school?
Speaker 5: You almost left school in sixth grade.
Speaker 12: I left public school and went to a small private school that my aunt was running. Only had a handful of kids in there, eight nine kids. And then I went back and finished public school. I went back for for high school.
Speaker 10: Have you ever heard from any of the kids that bullyed you? Have you ever seen them again? Now that you've kind of risen.
Speaker 5: I've run into a handful of them.
Speaker 12: Look, when it's tough growing up disabled, it's tough growing up in the kind of economic situation that I grew up in. I have run into a few of them. I don't hold it against them. You know, you're young, You're a kid. We all make mistakes when we're that young. They were probably going through a lot themselves. But I will say this, I certainly would never want to go through again what I went through. I mean, the twenty one surgeris by the age of twelve, I spent a lot of time up at Shriner's Hospital by myself.
Speaker 5: You know, full body cast.
Speaker 12: You can imagine a full body cast as a kid in the summer heat in Iowa with the humidity, and we didn't have air conditioning through the whole house, so you're taking a hangar just to try to it yourself. So I went through some really, really tough times. But what I believe is those that come out of that sort of circumstance, I believe that it creates a mental strength and a character that can't be broken. And I think it has uniquely prepared me well.
Speaker 5: For what this is.
Speaker 12: I say to people all the time, They'll say, Josh, thanks for running, thanks for what you're doing. I know how hard this is and I say, this is really really difficult. A life of hard things, including winning gold medals. This is harder than winning gold medals. But I say, this is not the hardest thing that I've gone through. And the thing for me is, because I have gone through the level of economic struggle and healthcare struggle, I have a different level of empathy and a different level of fight, and I think, I really do believe to my core that is what is missing in DC. We've got seventy three millionaires in DC, A lot of people that have come from privilege. You don't have a lot of people that have had to worry about missing a meal, keeping a roof of bother head, or healthcare struggles, you know, like oh, you know, where's my direct care worker going to come from? Medicaid wait lists things like that, And this is what we're missing. And I know I have that fight, yeah, that fight for the people because I've gone through that. I've experienced that same struggle myself.
Speaker 10: Think having spina bifita puts you at an unfair disadvantage for dealing with spineless politicians.
Speaker 5: I've never heard that one before.
Speaker 12: You know, I'll say this that there has been very little representation from the disabled population at every level of government, that's at the local, the state, and certainly at the federal. There are very few with congenital disabilities. You can imagine if you're blind or death, there's a communication barrier's nearly impossible to overcome. Same with intellectual disabilities. So you're left with a small subsegment of individual with physical disabilities. And I'm not up there to represent just the disabled population, but I do believe that my background and experience of everything that I've gone through makes me a much better legislator, and I think that's what's sorely missing in DC. And I'm ready to go up there and fight for the people, the people of Iowan, Iowa and Iowan's because everywhere I'm going, people are hurting in their struggling and I've felt that struggle.
Speaker 5: I've felt that pain.
Speaker 12: And we shouldn't be living in the richest country on Earth and this unbelievable level of wealth divide that we're experiencing right now. We're billionaires and you know, people like Elon Musk and the levels of what they're paying on their taxes, and you know, things like Social Security, etc.
Speaker 5: There's a whole lot that we can do.
Speaker 10: Josh Shurek, thanks so much for your time, good to talk.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having good luck. I appreciate it.
Speaker 12: We've got to go to Turk Foriowa dot Com.
Speaker 5: Help us out. We really do.
Speaker 12: We've got a once in a generation here opportunity to change the state and change the country, and with everyone's help, we're going to be able to do something really special come November.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Josh Turk for coming on. Dan, we'll be back on Sunday. You're going to talk to Danielle Butterfield, who's the executive director of Priorities USA, that's the big Democratic super pac, and I think you're going to talk to her all about how Democrats can get their message out to a lot of voters who just don't pay that close attention to politics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Danielle's one of the smartest strategists in our party, and they have done deep research on how swing voters, the voters we need most, are actually getting their information and they have all She has a lot of really interesting thoughts about how to how to get them, get the message to them, and how we can begin to win the fight in the twenty twenty eight election.
Speaker 2: Right now, I'm really looking forward to that conversation. Everyone check it out and have a good weekend.
Speaker 3: Hi everyone.
Speaker 2: Posave America is a Crooked media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, sul Ruben, McKenna, Roberts and Faris Safaris with Ree Cherlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Groat, Ben Hefcote, Jordan Kanter, Charlotte Landis, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East