Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: Discernment. We have people call up every single week talking about discernment, and it's an important question and each case may pose a different look at the word and the action of discernment. But today I want you to think about the day to day circumstances that you have to judge, both spiritual and physical, and how to fine tune yourself to that place of good discernment, that place of having the sense of an old cow and eating the hay and leaving the sticks. Sometimes it's it's not always as cut and dry as you'd like, And to develop the ability to sift through things is a is a great tool. So today I want to talk about what scripture has to say about discernment. Often, discernment is talked about in scripture as judging, having the wherewithal to make a decision between two or more options or things. But that word judge or judgment takes on a negative connotation sometimes and people get the word confused. One Corinthians two fifteen says, but he that is spiritual judges all things. Matthew seven to one says, judge not lest you be judged, and people get caught up in that, and the believer looks around and says, okay, I'm not supposed to judge. And unfortunately the world looks at this and they remember only the parts of scripture that they can use in some sort of defense of their own ways and actions. They remember this and they say, look, see it says, don't judge. But you need to learn to know the difference when scripture uses the word judgment and how it's meant. Does it mean discernment or does it mean criticism? The Late Great New Testament scholar F. F. Bruce pen this judgment is an ambiguous word in Greek, as it is in English. It may mean sitting in judgment on people or even condemning them, or it may mean exercising a proper discrimination. In the former sense, judgment is depreciated. In the latter sense, it is recommended. So knowing the difference of when to of what discerning is, and if you're in judgment or in criticism versus you're actually analyzing a situation, discerning when something is good for you or bad for you, or good for the situation or bad for the situation. You need to look deep into things. It's very easy to get to that place where where you kind of just look at the surface. You concern your things yourself with the things that are our surface or topical, rather than digging deep. Tewod Corinthians ten to seven warns against this. It says that you are looking only at the surface of things that doesn't have benefit. John seven twenty fours is stop judging by mere appearances and make a right judgment. Imply there that a right judgment is not made simply by appearance. That's when judgement becomes a problem, when it's it's you only looking at the the most surface part of the issue and making a judgment, trying to jump to a quick conclusion, rather than really understanding what's taking place and why. And this becomes a huge part of discernment, understanding and making that conclusion, or judging things properly. You know this by testing things, by examining everything as first Thessalonians five twenty one says, examine everything carefully, hold fast to that which is good. We talk about that constantly on the program, to test all things, holding fast to that which is It's okay to examine, to probe, to ask questions, even about your own faith because in doing so, it shows one its value and that you care about it enough to know the question to be curious. But two, it's it's you not just giving into the surface. As John seven said, You're not judging by mere appearance. You're trying to make the right decision and the right judgment, and that comes from examining everything, looking at all sides. How many times on this very program does someone call up about a job situation that's a tough decision, and oftentimes there's moving involved, more money involve, less money involved, changes to the family lifestyle. These things should all be looked at when you want to come to a conclusion or using proper discernment as to what that decision should be. Good discernment, although can be craft at ability that can be honed for speed or to be more efficient. That it shouldn't be something you rush into. Just like looking at the appearance of something or scratching at the surface of a concern a situation, you don't want to rush into things. Proverbs nineteen two says that it's not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way, because these things are important. Every little bit of an issue is part of what you should be looking at, examining why is this knowledge so important, why is taking the time so important? Because ignorance can bring destruction. It's not just a lack of knowledge. Ignorance is the absence of more tools that knowledge that will help you make the proper decisions that will help you through that road of discernment. Hoseiah four to six is my people are destroyed for lack of knowledge, that kind of ignorance that leads you to a bad decision, or leads you down a bad road or something not healthy or productive. It is what you are trying to steer away from. When you deal with discernment, you're dealing with getting all of the information you can, placing it in front of you and examining it, not being surfaced, but going below and truly analyzing and dissecting what's beneficial for you, what's beneficial for the whole, for the family, for the group or community. Even when people start to separate themselves and just think selfishly is when greater problems arise. The things that I command of you, or request or even demand in scripture are not just to be some sort of control freak. It really comes down to knowing what's best for you, knowing what's best for the whole, and asking you to participate in these things or not to participate, as the case may be, so that so that you can be a part of the whole, not in some strange metaphysical sense, but truly knowing that you are to communicate worship with one another, spend time with one another, and even be held responsible for the decisions each person makes. This is why discernment is so powerful, so potent, so important. Don't get lost in just your way. In this sense, in Hoseiah that an entire people are destroyed due to lack of knowledge, true discernment becomes most valuable. The importance of discernment cannot be understated. Nowhere can it be overstated. The importance of being able to discern how you deal with any situation or any decision or choice in life is important. However, often people will look beyond scripture and not really understand that the majority of your decisions can be understood and applied to the things of Scripture. It's funny how God does that right and throughout scripture it points to ways and understanding and tools to be used when discerning don't look at the surface things. Don't judge by appearance. Test everything. Hold fast to that which is true, which you can know. Judge using your spiritual knowledge based on scripture. Know the difference between judgment as far as criticism versus judgment, as far as discernment, that ignorance can bring destruction. So to educate, educate yourself, show yourself approved is imperative. True discernment is is kind of a big picture thing, not just what's in front of you, but observing everything around you. This is an interesting verse. Matthew sixteen three says, and in the morning there will be a storm today, for the sky is red and threatening. Do you know how to discern the appearance of the sky but cannot discern the signs of the times? And this verse is asking you to pull away from from just those things that you're seeing or understanding, and using them as tools to understand the bigger picture, not just the storm in front of you, but what the season is or the sign of the times, often a reference to things that are to come. And you're to discern things by God's standards. You know, the difference to immerse yourself in God's word is the key John eight fifteen sixteen. You judge by human standards. But if I do judge, my decisions are right because I am not alone. I stand with the Father who sent me. I have much to say in the judgment of you, but he who sent me is reliable, and what I have heard from him. I tell the world that relationship of understanding between that which you read and known scripture, and that how that in which you use to apply to everyday life scripture will help guide you into discernment Hebrews four twelve. The Word of God is living and active. It judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Bernadette, Welcome to the Jesus Christ Show.
Speaker 1: Hi, thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm well how can I help you?
Speaker 1: My last friend lost son a few years ago and a median coming talent how and she's wanted to She's trying to pray to see this's okay to so and talk to the ABC the Median Show and hopefully Sym I can reveal some things about how gun and the app and like, how do you feel about it?
Speaker 2: Well as far as and I'm sorry to hear that she lost his son, and I know that that when somebody loses somebody some so close to them that it's it's completely natural to want to reach out or to have communication with them. Again, However, I believe that our taking advantage of people in pain, and I think it's disgusting. I think that it is kind of the worst of the worst when it comes to pilfing money from people I put them up with, like the the fake evangelists and all of that that are looking to gain riches. The sad part is that a lot of people don't know that in scripture it says specifically to stay away from these types of things specifically, And you can give her this verse if maybe it will help her. It's chapter eighteen of Deuteronomy, and I'll read it to you, but we'll start in verse ten. It says, there shall be not found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, or one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who casts spells, or a medium or spiritists, or one who calls up the dead. For whoever does these things is detestable to the Lord. Also, and there's other verses as well that talk about that God and the reason why is that these people, if they serve God, have gone on to be with God. And who are you anyone on this planet to interrupt that if they're with God. And so people get selfish and want to experience these people that were in their lives again. And that's perfectly normal to have that desire. What's not good or healthy is to act on that desire and go to spiritists or mediums or psychics to do these things. And another interesting story that might be helpful is Second Samuel twelve twenty five. But you can read, you know, starting at verse fifteen if you like. But this is the story of David losing the sun. And the interesting thing is is that David was, you know, on his face the whole time, praying and for this child and fasting and all of these things. And so intense was this act that David wanted this child to live that the servants didn't even want to tell him when the child had died. So they figure, well, we'll just you know, leave him alone. We don't if he's this intense about praying, fasting, trying to keep that child alive, then I don't want to be the one to tell him, Well, David picks up on this, sees that they're whispering, and says, hey, did the child die? They say yes, and he gets up, cleans himself off, cleans himself off, and then goes to eat. And people were like, well, you know, just seconds ago you were praying without ceasing and fasting and all this intensity. And David responds with this, while the child was still alive, I fasted and wept, for I said, who knows? The Lord may be gracious to me that the child may live. But now that he has died, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me. And what's powerful about that is that David knew that when you have the opportunity to pray for someone while they're still living, you should always pray intensely. And if you are so moved too fast, anything you can do. But once the person is gone, they are gone. And the world continues to give you these excuses and false hope that there's going to be some connection. This world is made of of the vessel of flesh and the spirit. But when the flesh dies, the spirit goes on to eternity. Whether that's eternal presence with God or the eternal absence of God, which is called hell. And people don't always get that through their head. And imagine this, that concept of being with God in heaven and somebody calling you back to earth. Why if you think about these images of parents that are so clean to their children that they don't ever want them to grow up or graduate. And I don't mean the normal sense of sadness as you see a child going to each new stage and oh, I remember when they did this, or I remember, that's normal. But somebody who physically would try and keep their child from graduating high school because they're going to go on to college. Could you imagine something so vulgar? But imagine now somebody who's graduated from this earth, although on earth it's sad, but graduated from this earth and gone on to be with God, being held back by a loved one trying to get them back here to earth. You can't do that, And I know that it seems noble in some sense, and then ah, well I want to keep them alive. No, that is not good. It's unhealthy. You will never grow past it. You will never grow past the initial pain and mourn in a healthy, proper light, understanding that there is a limit to the time that's spent on earth. That's what makes it precious. And I think that the psychics and these mediums and spiritists do a tremendous disservice as much as they will claim, well, you know what, I give closure, No, you continue to open wounds for your own gain, and most of them are horrible to boot. If I hear one more bad psychic say there's someone in your life with who has a J in their name, I'm seeing a J, I'm seeing an R. It's ridiculous. And they pray on the fact that there's so many people that are in pain that want to believe these things that they continue to perpetuate it. As a matter of fact, just recently, you know, the entire concept of astrology got turned on its head because of the rotation of the Earth changing how things work, and it has been changed for some time. So essentially, if you grew up thinking that you're you know, a Capricorn, you're not, or an Aquarius you're not, or a Leo you're not. Because everything's shiftedilation was added and all kinds of members of the zodiac have actually been removed over the years and added over the years, and all of these things, and yet people still adhere to these things because nobody wants to be accountable to consequence. Life has consequence, life has death. There are things that you will experience in life that aren't always pleasurable. And I'm fascinating that people will take things like astrology, or take things like spiritists and mediums and psychics and put all just all in put the entirety of who you are there because God is unchanging. And to them, that's just it's too much to handle. That scripture stays the same, that God stays the same. He says, I'm the same yesterday, today, and always I say that I'm the Alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end. There's no change in those things. And people don't like that. People constantly call this show trying to trying to find a loophole or or see if it's changed. Hey, has this changed over the years? No, still believe that.
Speaker 3: Eh like that?
Speaker 2: So they want something that's kind of well, give me what I want when I want it, make me feel good, and it doesn't always feel good. And Bernadette, I'm so sorry that your friend lost her son, But please do what you can to persuade her not to participate with psychics and mediums. And they come by and really feed on those that are in great pain. And why doesn't she learn to to really, as we talk about on the show, be the curator of the museum of her son and teaching people about him and the wonderful things he did and who he was and all these things instead of trying to reconnect because God frowns upon that and it's not possible to boot Rick, Welcome to the Jesus Christ Show.
Speaker 3: Oh for me, that's you.
Speaker 2: How can I help you?
Speaker 3: I'm just a truck driver out here, but I listened to your show quite a bit on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Now, Now, why would you say that? Why would you say you're just a truck driver?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: Because that's that's where, that's who I am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you're feeding people and you're bringing goods to them, and you're doing all kinds of things. We love all the truckers that listen to the program. So I'm happy to have you. How can I help you?
Speaker 3: I was just curious because I had a like almost like a spiritual wakening back in about nineteen seventy six, where I was searching for all through all different kinds of religions, and I was into drugs and that sort of thing, and and I just got an awareness that, you know, the Christian Christ was real and and but I just had a real struggle because of the drugs and everything in my past life. But there's no way that somebody can be If you don't accept Christ before you die, then there's no way you can accept Christ.
Speaker 2: Right, well, technically that point of death. He talks about two deaths, and it talks about and this is where the concept of being born again comes in. People think it's like a denomination or a type of Christian But every Christian, Catholic or otherwise has to be born again or be gotten from above, a scripture says. And so this talks about that concept of two deaths, and the two death would be one the physical death, but the spiritual death would be the separation from God. It doesn't mean that you cease to be, although there are fringe groups that believe that there are that you just stop being. Mainstream Christianity in this particular show does not believe in soul death or anything like that. So spiritual death would mean the concept that you're being separated from God, and you're being separated of God from God because of the choices you make here. So if you choose to reject God unto the point of death, then yes, you don't have time to repent.
Speaker 3: Well, what happens if you say you you didn't die physically and you died spiritually, Well, you're not dying.
Speaker 2: You're dying to yourself. You don't die spiritually. Your spirit is everlasting at this point. It's just the determination is whether it's everlasting in heaven or everlasting apart from God, which is called hell. Right, So are you saying if you had if you repented from something, rick, if you've turned away from those things and you did you when you were moved to say okay, there is a God. Christ is that God, and I will serve him. You are repenting from the things that you've done.
Speaker 3: Repenting, like repentance, is a change of heart or a change of mind.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, it's turning. The word actually translates to me turning away from So you've moved away from your old ways and you're a new creation in Christ and you're continuing to be pureful on process.
Speaker 3: It has. It's been something that I've done immediately. It's like something that's taken quite a few years.
Speaker 2: Everything wonderful takes time, right, everything, Like I haven't.
Speaker 3: Given up everything all at once, you know, like I I gave up drugs, and then I gave up alcohol, and then I gave up chasing woman and all that kind of stuff. And it's just been a slow process. And I've been working on my how I treat people. And have you ever heard of AA? Yes, of course, asnonymous. I went through that program, and that's where I kind of feel that I really connected with God.
Speaker 2: Well, we hear that a lot on this program. A lot of people when they go through the twelve steps find that in the process of finding the you're powerless against many things, do find God. Unfortunately, some of them don't find me, but they eventually come around and find, you know, something that they call God, and that's not always helpful.
Speaker 3: But yeah, well I went in with the already convinced that you were real. So when I was there, that's who I When they said higher Power, that's that's who you know, I automatically thought Christ. Right, Well, I want I.
Speaker 2: Want you to think of a passage There's this passage that I want you to take with you today, and that's a Hebrews twelve two where it talks about that God is the author and finisher of your faith. And the reason why I want you to take that with you is I want you to think, rick that not only are you in this process and then things that you're changing your saying I'm removing this from my life, of removing that from my life, but to know that God ultimately is not only the author the beginner of your faith, He's also the finish sure of your faith. And that God walks with you in a partnership of refining you. And so it's not just your burden, but that God is with you through that process refining. Just like you know fire to metal refines it, and that all you do is that is that God gives you that God given fire. That dross comes to the top, like when you're purifying metal, all you need to do is you need to scrape that off and continue to move on with the process. But trust that God is the author and the finisher of your faith.
Speaker 1: Kfi Am sixty on Demand