Speaker 1: Welcome to the Kinds I View Podcast. That intro music was terrible. I'm sorry, I don't know what happened to our old I've lost our original intrum music. We'll fix it. This is one of the endearing aspects of the show is its utter lack of professionality. Anyway, we're going to be wading into some treacherous waters today. We're gonna be talking theology christology, and I'm an amateur. So I want to make a vow to you up front. If you feel like I got something wrong, listen, don't. I don't want like I'm not soliciting, like I think you're wrong about this. Like I get it. We all have different opinions. But if you can like teach me something, you know, like hey, actually you know this person did some work and shows this, or actually you know you said this religion thinks that, but actually, you know, look here's the Catechism, page two hundred. They actually think this, you know what I mean? Like, I love learning. So if I get something wrong, please tell me, and I promise to correct it publicly on the show. That is my commitment to you. But you know, please do a little bit of work and just actually teach me something. Don't don't just say well, I believe you know. This is a real problem, not from you guys. You guys are great, especially my Core one hundred. I need a better name my mythical my mystical century, and I'm the Centurion. That's kind of a larp. Let's just stick with my Core one hundred, the Core one hundred. You guys provide me great feedback, Thank you, I appreciate it. But just in general, there is like this are humentation style where you just state your opinion as like evidence and it's not evidence, you know. And I'm not saying listen, I don't need a bibliography. I get it. I make claims all the time. But usually when I say something, it's like it's it is based on something I've heard or read. You know, I could be incorrect, the source could be wrong. But I generally don't just like say I think this. Maybe I do. I don't know, but hey, listen, it's my show. I'm gonna keep doing whatever I do. But I guess what I'm saying is I would I really welcome feedback because we're gonna be getting into some treacherous waters. I just want it to be informative feedback. I want to learn something from your feedback, and I will correct myself publicly. And so we're gonna be talking about did Jesus claim to be God? And we're gonna be listening to the two most informed people on this topic who have polarized completely opposite perspectives. So I think the first thing to acknowledge is that there are brilliant people who think that Jesus never claimed to be God, and there are brilliant people who think that there is plenty of evidence that Jesus claimed to be God. So right there, like hopefully we can sort of like exhale, take the temperature down, and automatically understand that we're not really going to answer the question today. This is about learning, informing, and you know, maybe sharing some opinion on my part for sure, But mostly I think I just want this to be educational and no matter what you believe, I want you to feel. Hmm, what do I want you to feel? I mean, I'll be honest, My bias is that I kind of want you to feel that Jesus did claim to be God. But maybe that doesn't mean exactly what most people think that means. I guess I think that's gonna be my stance. We'll see, we'll see. But anyway, before we get into the heavy stuff, I had a weird experience today, and I want you to let me know if you think I'm a horrible father or a good father, I'm on the fence. There was a moment where I felt like, so I'm so creative, you know, And then there was a moment where like, oh my god, I've ruined my son. So as you might know, as you might remember, my wife's out of town. She gets back tomorrow, and it's been you know, I've got brilliant, creative kids. They aren't brilliant. They're kind, they're empathetic, but you know, with all of that comes some stubbornness, you know, just like I was, just like I was. And so my daughter's four years older than my son, and so she's kind of like because of us, you know, not not of her own will. She's kind of had to adopt, like become like a backup parent. I think this is a very common eldest child trait. You know, you've been around longer, ye're more with it, and like you can sort of help your parents. I was an oldest child. My I had two half sisters. One is seven years younger than me and one is fourteen young years younger than me. Now, I only really ever lived with one of my sisters, and only for a few years before I moved across the country to my dad's house at twelve. But even for those few years, like you, yeah, you're the back, you're like helping, like, hey, tell your sister to sit down, you know. And so my daughter's constantly am especially with my wife's out of town. I'm like, please, can you just help me get your brother to buckle his seat belt. It's the things he chooses, Like he just determines, like no, I'm going to get a sprite, and I will make a scene in the coffee shop if I don't get a sprite. And so it's like I'm like to my daughter, like, can you just take your brother and sit outside for second on that table right there and just let me finish this transaction, you know. Anyway, So today we got in one of those situations and I had had to put the hammer down, I had to take the iPads away because I was asking them to clean up the house and my daughter was doing all the cleaning. My son was refusing to clean, so I was like, okay, iPads away, and I sent my son to his room, and then my daughter kept cleaning up. But there was this moment where like my daughter was like coaching my son, like why don't you just clean up? Like then you won't be in trouble, you know what I mean? And uh, this is like a recurring pattern. And I'm realizing, like you know it is it is an eldest child trait, but also like you want your kids to be like buddies, right like you don't you don't want one of your kids to look at their sibling as like just another parent, like a narc you know, like whose team are you on? You know, I don't know. Maybe that's the wrong way of thinking about it. So I I when my son was in his room, I pulled my daughter aside and I said, Hey, here's what we're gonna do. I want you And I'm realizing this, I'm admitting something that's a little embarrassing, but it's like I want you here here the iPads. I want you to go in the room and pretend like you stole these, like you've got them out of hiding and that you've snuck them, You've snuck the contraband into the room, you know, because I because I can. There's like there's like animosity growing between my kids, you know. My my son feels like everybody is his parents, you know. And so I was like, I just want you guys to be buds. Just go back there, just play, you know, I'll collaid and uh. And they did. And I told my daughter like, if I come back there, like hide the iPads, you know. And so I went. I went back there to let him know, like, hey, I got to get on a zoom call. And my son's just looking like kind of guilty. You know, he's clearly put his iPad under the blanket and they're pretending to read books together. And it's like, what have I done? Have I just am my coaching my son that he should lie? But I don't know, I felt like it was important. I felt like it was a canon moment for them, you know, just just get in one over on dad. But yeah, I've probably you know, you know, the butterfly effects, like I've probably created this is like a trajectory of the timeline that I've just initiated and now or you know, this cascade of dominoes leading to a life of crime. You know, I just I just started. Hopefully not. My goal is just for my son and my daughter to be friends. So we'll see. I'll give you an update in ten years. Hopefully you're still listening. So anyway, email me God's I view book at gmail dot com. Let me know, you know, am I doing it all wrong? I should probably, I should probably admit, because then there's like a lesson, right I should be like, Okay, listen, Son, I actually knew you were on the iPad today, you know, And I'm not mad at you from from keeping it from I don't know. I'm not sure. Maybe I just never say anything. Let me know what you think. Okay, huge, Now we're doing a huge pivot. Did Jesus claim to be God? What do you guys think? I don't know. I don't really know who's listening to the show. I would say most of the core one hundred are probably Christians, but actually a pretty big chunk of the Core one hundred are like agnostics. You know, they're open to stuff, but they don't really know. And my sense is most Christians, if you ask them, did Jesus claim to be God would say yes, and listen to what I'm saying. Specifically, I'm not saying is Jesus God, That's a different question. I'm saying, did Jesus himself claim he was in the scriptures? That's a different question, and it should be an easy to answer question. But the truth is it really isn't. And you might, if you are Christian, you might already be thinking about certain passages that we will get to. But I think even you would admit that it's it's not direct, Like, you know, Jesus never says I am God, bow down and worship me. Now, he alludes to that are close to that. He alludes to a lot of Jewish tradition. He does a lot of things that only God does, like walks on water, which is a reference to job, forgive sins, comes back from the dead, but others technically did that too, right Lazarus under Jesus' power though, So it's you know, and so I think there's lots of reasons to believe that he is God. By the question is did he claim to be? And so that's what we're going to be taking on. This is a pretty long interview. We're going to break it up into several parts. This is Alex O'Connor. He's interviewing an author of the book we'll learn his name in the book, the name shortly and Alex and preparing for a debate. And he was the atheist in the debate, arguing that Jesus never claimed to be God, like any smart person should do, but rarely does he read all the best books against him, like what are the best cases against my argument? And so this book he felt was the very best book claiming that Jesus did claim to be God. So he's now interviewing the author. So I don't know, I think you got to respect that whenever you think about the guy. And we'll get into it, but first let me I kind of want to lay out the spectrum of beliefs about Jesus. Now shifting gears to is Jesus God? So the spectrum of beliefs would be just on Jesus in general. Would be the most extreme, probably smallest group believes that Jesus as a human being never even existed. These would be called mythesists. This is like very this is a very extreme position. Most New Testament scholars are atheists, and most of them the vast majority of them would not go that far. It just seems like there is just too much, you know, for a guy who never existed, There just seems to be too much literature. You know. People will say things like there are no extra biblical sources for Jesus. That's not true. There are some, and there are some critical sources people that don't like him, you know, the Babylonian tel Mood, for example, there's very early graffiti in Rome mockinging people who believed in Jesus. And of course there's the Bible. You know, there's there's many books, and I don't think you can, like even as an atheist, discredit the Bible as a historical source.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Clearly, maybe there's parts of it that are intended to be like poetic or mythical, but certainly the account of jesus life is not one of those accounts. It's very clearly meant to be biographical. And it seems very unlikely that you would make this figure up, especially since there are official government actions related to him, like his crucifixion. It just seems like it's the story just want to catch on if it were completely invented. Certainly not locally anyway. So that's the most extreme group the group I guess, you know, if we're starting, if we're saying the far left, I don't mean politically, but you know, the far left side of the spectrum is mythicism. In the far right side is Jesus is God, is indistinguishable from God. The next wrong, moving from left to right, would probably be that Jesus was a historical figure. He was a real person. He was a rabbi who had an earthly ministry, but was very clearly not divine. So this would be the eighth most atheists would feel this way. Now there's sort of a version of that, maybe just slightly to the right of that, which believes all of the same stuff, but believes that Jesus was probably, you know, a blasphemer and was executed by the Romans for starting trouble in the Jewish community, And this would sort of be the Jewish position. Now there is argument about this. This is a very controversial thing because there are a lot of people, I would assume Jewish people who would argue that the Jews of Jesus's day never claimed that he was a blasphemer, and that this is a later a later invention by the Church to sort of like an anti Semitic invention. But I will say the argument I find that's technically usually not from Jewish people. It's more from atheists and sort of anti Christian or anti Catholic in particular, people who have sort of like a Dan Brown version understanding of the Church, like the Roman Inquisition version of the Catholic Church, who who I don't know, like to think that, like a lot of the things in the Bible where you know, like the Pharisees pick up stones to stone Jesus for blasphemy, that these were like invented hundreds of years later to make a divine claim. And I just don't think the historical evidence supports that. You know, we have copies of these manuscripts going back to maybe fifty years after the Crucifixion, so it just seems unlikely. Now that said, the Jewish Christian situation was an issue from the very beginning. You have what are called the Judaizers in the Bible, which my understanding is that these are Christians, but they they are you know, Jewish ethnicity, like all of the disciples who are still wanting to practice Jewish customs like circumcision and things, and to honor certain aspects of the rules around the Sabbath and that sort of thing. And this is very much discouraged and in Paul's letters and so yeah, so you know, right off the bat, this is a sensitive issue anyway. So I'm just pointing out that's like the next rung on the ladder, above that, or don't. I don't mean to say above like better, you know, so I'll say right of that would be that Jewish is a divine figure, but he's divine in the way like a prophet is divine. And in fact, maybe that's what he is. He's a prophet. Maybe he's a special prophet, but he is ultimately a prophet, but he is not God. And so this would be the Islamic interpretation that you know, he is to be honored, he is a prophet, but that he was not crucified, and he did not resurrect, he was taken directly into heaven. And so yeah, again this is the Islamic tradition. Now I think some people are surprised to hear that. Listen, this is not to say also when I say, you know, the Jewish tradition thinks this the Catholic tradition thinks this. The Muslim tradition thinks this. I'm not talking about like any random member of that group that you interview on the street. Well, think that that's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying it's at least it's, if not the official teaching, it's one of the official teachings from that group. So basically my understanding is kind of the majority Muslim interpretation is that the Bible is, or at least was, the authentic word of God, but that aspects of it have been corrupted over time, particularly the crucifiit and the and any like divine claims made by Jesus if they exist, which I think they would say they don't exist. And this is because they view God as is one and is not a man, and not a and certainly not able to be killed. So that would be the next roung And then right of that you have like a whole panacea of Christian and like Christian adjacent views, which is, you know, Jesus either is God or he is the Son of God or both, you know. And then really I would say the most traditional Christian view being the Trinity, that there are three eternal pre existing beings, the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit, and these are all different aspects maybe of God, or I think what is typically said is, you know, God is one has one nature, but three persons, the Father, of the Son, and the Holy Spirit. So that would sort of be the far not the ft I almost said far right. I don't mean that politically like this, This would be the other end of the spectrum from mythicism. Who we're weighted in treacherous waters. Okay, so we're going to jump into the clip this is broken into. It looks like about nine or ten main arguments. We'll probably just do one today, and the first one is Mark two where Jesus forgives since now this shows up in multiple gospels, so we might also play the second argument, which is Matthew tells the same story but slightly differently in a way that Alex will argue undermines the idea that he claimed to be God. So we'll probably just listen to those two clips. It goes from about see thirteen minutes to it's about twenty minutes, so yeah, we won't do more than that.
Speaker 2: Here we go is the healing of the paralytic He brought it up already, right where Jesus says in Mark two to the paralyse man, my son, your sins are forgiven. Right now, you can make the case, a reasonable case, that Jesus is just taking a priestly prerogative upon himself, because it is true that in the temple, Jewish priests would bring sacrifices, they'd offer them to the God of Israel, and they would sacrifice those in order a tone for the sins of the people on their behalf. And so you could make the case that that kind of divine passive, your sense of forgiven, is just Jesus making or taking a priestly prerogative as his own.
Speaker 3: Right. Jesus doesn't say five of you, He just says passively, your sins forgiven.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. So I do agree with you that that's not an unreasonable interpretation of that passage. Now, I don't think that does full justice to the passage. I think more is going on than just to priestly prerogative. I think Jesus is laying claim to a divine prerogative, and I think the text itself supports that both because even within a Jewish context, the priests would not declare your sins forgiven? He would be the mediation of forgiveness. But even more it is because of Jesus' response, because when they respond by saying, who can forgive sins but God alone? You'll notice that your response is not who can forgive sins but priests alone? But they actually make it exclusively divine. The Jewish interlocketers. And then Jesus responds by saying, so that you may know that the son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins, I say to you rise. So I think the fuller context of the passage makes that reasonable interpretation not the best interpretation of the overall content.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, So we have a situation where there's a crowd around Jesus, a house that Jesus is in, and there's there's a I don't know all the details, but there's a man and his family or friends again I don't know the details exactly want to get him in to see Jesus because they know he's working miracles and and and they have faith that he can't heal this paralyzed man. Sorry, I'm in the dog routine where he wants to go in and out one hundred times an episode. And so they can't get him in because there's this crowd around the front of the house. But they're able to this. It's kind of a weird story, I'll give you that. But they managed to get sort of like around the back of the house or get on the roof of an adjacent house and sort of get over to the roof of this home that Jesus is in. It's weird because it's like such a weird story. Almost not make it up this way, you know, like why would you add this sort of strange detail that they enter the home from the roof, you know, they lower the paralyzed man into his midst in this house, and they are and Jesus is pleased, right that they have such faith that they would basically do anything to get to him, and he forgives the paralyzed man sins, and he says this out loud. After he says that, he hears the thoughts of the onlookers in the crowd. And some of these onlookers are the Pharisees, you know, one of the groups of Jews. You know, you have the statuses of Pharisees in the scene, and the Pharisees are a religious authority, and he hears their thoughts, and their thoughts are sort of they're angry, you know, they're saying, wait, this man is forgiving sins. Who can forgive sins? But God alone? And Jesus says, you know, why are you thinking this? So he reads their minds and so he says, you know, a string of things that will rehash here multiple times into the conversation, but you know, basically like, hey, what's easier for giving sins or telling a man to get up and walk who's paralyzed. And so he does, he says, stand up and walk, and he does the paralyzed man, and he says something like, so that you know, the Son of Man has the power to forgive sin on earth, I will heal this man's ailment. And so we've talked about this name before, the Son of Man. This is a title. Son of Man can just mean human, you know, Bene, I think it's ben a Adam is son of Man. And that's using the Old Testament to just refer to humans like Bene. Eloheim is used to refer to the sons of God, which are presumed to be like angels or something however, and I think it's Daniel. There is a figure, a divine figure, a pre existent figure, named the Son of Man, and that's important that he's pre existent, because you know, Christians believe there are three pre existent entities, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. So just the claim son of Man has divine implications. And it's clear that the Pharisees feel that way too, because there's multiple times where they get mad at him for using that term. So I think you could just argue right there that he is claiming to be something akin to God, like one of the aspects of God. But you know, it's confusing to say Jesus is God because now you're like making a synonym. You know, you're saying that these two words are equivalent. And I don't really know if that's true, at least not in the sense that most people mean. Like I think when most people say God, they're referring to the Father in heaven. But you know, I think the position the Trinity is that no God refers to all three of these pre existent beings. It's one nature, three person. So listen is complicated. I don't think we should presume that the the creator these beings that were here from the beginning or eternally before the beginning would be easy to comprehend. But here we are.
Speaker 2: So I do think that those are reasonable positions from the synoptics, precisely because these are complex matters, and it is His identity in the Gospels is a mystery. It's not just unifical. It's not just laid out there for all to see. There is an element of mystery here which the Gospels themselves testify to, like in Matthew sixteen, when Jesus flesh and blood has not revealed this to you. Apocalypsis is the apocalypto is the term. But my father in heaven. So I think that that's those are fair to walk away with different interpretations of what are really mysterious capacities.
Speaker 3: We'll get back to the show in just a moment, but first, do you struggle to focus? I know I do sometimes, and especially given my line of work, it can be incredibly frustrating when my brain is just not able to do whatever. Examples I mean, we were just talking about the forgiving of sins, and that's often where people start because it's so early in Mark's Gospel, and Mark is as far as we think our earliest gospel, it's seems to be a source for Matthew and Luke, who take almost all of Mark's Gospel and then add a few few bits. More So, Mark's gospel has Jesus sort of surrounded by crowds, and there's this famous story where there's a paralytic man who cannot get to Jesus, so they climb up on the roof and they lower him through the roof onto the ground, and Jesus tells this man, your sins are forgiven. And it's for.
Speaker 1: The record, this is the same story they're just rehashing, and again.
Speaker 3: That describes who are nearby who The first weird thing is that they're thinking, this man is blaspheming, who can forgive sins? But God alone and Jesus hears their thoughts. Now, some people like to point to that. Immediately, I look at that and say, look, if Jesus were just a miracle working prophet, he could probably do something like that. But it's interesting, and they say, why you know this man is blaspheming, which is interesting because blasphemy seems to be taking on godly prerogatives. Who can forgive sins? But God alone, And like you say, Jesus doesn't say, well, I am God. Jesus says, why are you thinking these things? He says, as you say, so you know that the son of Man has the authority to forgive sins on earth. And he makes the man walk because he says, which is easier to say your sins are forgiven? Or take up your But so you know the son of Man has the authority to forgive sins. I tell him, take up your matt and walk, and he gets up and he goes away, and everyone's kind of amazed by this. Now, the orthodox Christian reading of this is that the scries were correct. Yes, only God can forgive sins, and Jesus proved to them that the son of Man is God. My reading of this story is different for a few reasons, and I will know what you think of this. The first is that the whole motif of Jesus's Jewish opponents in the Gospel seems to be that they're constantly misunderstanding him. They're constantly getting things wrong. I'm not sure if there is a good biblical foundation for the idea that only God can forgive sins. God does forgive sins, but this kind of rule that exists that only God can forgive sins, I'm unclear about what the sort of biblical basis is for this, and at any rate, Jesus then says, you know, so you know that the son of Man the authority to give sins on us.
Speaker 1: I will just kind of just a brief thing here that is not necessarily super important to me or like what I believe. But I think one thing you could say to this is, you know, there doesn't necessarily need to be a biblical basis for only God being able to forgive sins, because that's the only you know, when in regards to sin, there's really only one person's who you know, who's forgiveness that matters, or two Actually, you know, if you directly hurt or harm someone in the process of committing that sin, you would want that person's forgiveness, but beyond that, you really only want or need God's forgiveness. And so I think the issue, I think it's kind of a moot point. Like like now, of course, this is somewhat controversial in the Catholic and Orthodox complex or context, because you are asking priests to forgive your sins. But I believe the interpretation is that your sins are being forgiven on behalf of God, you know, because the Bible is constantly instructing us to discuss confess your sins. And I think this is true. I mean, you know, just from a psychological perspective, confessing transgressions I think is good for the soul, you know, because if you're not confessing and asking for forgiveness, you're unrepentant. And I don't just mean that in a religious way. I just mean, you know, there's nothing worse than just an unrepentant repeat offender. Like this is the most unforgivable thing you can be in society, almost regardless of the crime. Now, of course, like it's worse the more offensive the crime. But you know, even if someone doesn't pick up their dog poop and they're just completely unrepentant, you know, you're like, hey, buddy, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Is my friend?
Speaker 1: You are like, yeah, pick it up yourself, you know, and then he does it the next day. I mean, there's just nothing, there's just nothing worse, Like it's just like this unbelievable arrogance and pride, you know. And so I kind of got off track there, but so psychologically, I think confession of sins is good for the soul, you know. But so I guess it's not totally unreasonable. Alex's point here is not totally unreasonable, you know, except I think the response would be, well, you know, you can confess your sins to others and you can get their forgiveness. But ultimately this is more like a platitude, like like it's nice to be forgiven by your brother. However, you know you need God to forgive you. But there are some passages in the Bible where kind of it kind of makes it sound like the same thing. Anyway, So let's keep listening.
Speaker 3: I'm going to do this, which doesn't immediately say I'm God. It says, well, now I have this authority as well. Jesus also throughout the Gospels, talks a lot about how he's been given certain authorities and prerogatives by the Father. If he's given the power to judge mankind by the Father, that kind of stuff. And so even if this is a godly prerogative, it may be something that God has simply given to Jesus. But the real nail in the coffin here for me is at the end of John's Gospel, Jesus sends out his disciples, right, and he says to his disciples, as the Father has sent me, now I am sending you. If you forgive people's sins, their sins are forgiven. If you do not forgive their sins, their sins are retained. So he seems to give the disciples the ability to forgive sins. And if only God can forgive sins, then you know, lucky disciples, I suppose. And some Christians say, yeah, but you know, those disciples went out and they forgive, They forgave people in the name of Jesus. Right, they did it on Jesus' authority. Okay, but what does Jesus say to them, as the Father has said, knee, now I'm sending you. So in the same way that they're forgiving in the name of Jesus, Jesus is forgiving in the name of God. That's that's a lot to starli. I'm gonna throw that at you. Er takes Yeah, you think, okay, yeah, this is a great question. So let's I'll make a couple of points. First, you're right that there's no explicit rule in Hebrew scripture that says only God can forgive sins full stop. Okay, however it is it's not a minority interpreted position. For for example, in Leviticus chapter four, the early chapters of Leviticus which are describing atoning sacrifices, the kind of sin offerings as to call. You'll see this over and over against refrain. The priest will offer the sacrifice, and his sin shall be forgiven, shall be forgiven, shall be forgiven. A great the world expert on Leviticus, Jacob Milgram, great Jewish scholar, wrote a three thousand page commentary on Leviticus.
Speaker 2: I've got it up to here. He actually points out that that use the divine past of in the he as well as the whole sacrificial system within Judaism, actually does. He takes the position that it is implying that the act of forgiving sin precisely because sin is not just an offense against other humans, but above all always an offense against the Lord, against God of Israel, is in fact an exclusively divine prerogative. And that's why the divine passive is used over and over as a refrain in those Levitical descriptions of priestly activity. It's never the priest who has described as forgiving but always the divine passive. Another passage would be Isaiah forty three, which is one of the really high monotheistic passages in the Old Testament, where you see the Lord saying I am, I am He using that biblical language echoing the Exodus passage, and he says, he who forgives your sins right. So there's an affirmation of God's ability to forgive sin in the context of emphasizing his exclusivity as the one God and as the God who is the creator, the one Creator, there's no other God beside me. It's a whole monotheistic passage. So when you take those two passages together, I actually do think there is some scriptural foundation for the inference. It's an inference, it's not a text scripture that in a Jewish context it was understood that the positive act of forgiving sin was something that could only be done by God alone. So I actually don't think that the scribes in this case are misinterpreting the implication of Jesus's action. In fact, I think the whole point of him responding so that you may know the son of Man has authority on earth is to affirm what they're saying, but describing himself as having that divine authority. Now, so I do think in his context, in that Jewish context, they're not wrong about that. Now, can God delegate divine power or divine authority? And the answer is yes, yes, yes, and yes right, So I do think it would be wrong to then argue that that can't ever be delegated to a human being. And you're absolutely right. We're going to see Jesus delegate that authority to the apostles in John chapter twenty. So it's a nuanced position. I'm not arguing that divine power can't be delegated. I am arguing with that in this context describes a right to perceive Jesus as doing something which here too four at least, is something only the God of Israel can do. And you can see that confirmed by the way the crowds react too, when they say we've never seen anything like this, right, so that implies that something unprecedented has just happened.
Speaker 3: But when they say we've never seen anything like this, just not to derail, but do you think they're referring there to Jesus's forgiving of sain The fact that they've just seen a paralyzed man get up.
Speaker 2: I think I would I would say it's both, although you're absolutely right that the paralyzed man is going to is going to be striking, because I'm not minimizing that. I would say it would be a both and rather than an either or. That would be my sis right now, real quick, though, I don't want to evade the John twenty point, because that's a really important. Yeah. I do think it's crucial to emphasize here that, and I do think Christians nowadays to underehasize that, although it's growing in awareness that if you look at early Christians Soteriology for example, and Second Peter, there is an understanding I'm sorry, stereology is the the the the theology or the rational analysis of sulteria means salvation or to be saved or to be healed. So it's the theology of how we are saved, all right. And if you look at soteriology, for example of Second Peter, it talks about becoming partakers of the divine nature.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's this notion of theosis in the early Church that I actually think goes a long way toward explaining how a divine Messiah like Jesus can then also delegate divine powers and divine in this case, even divine nature to merely human beings. I mean, at least in Second Peter one, that's what he's saying. Through baptism, you actually die, not only did this world all that, but you actually become a partaker of divinity. And this is gonna be an important theme, as I'm sure you know if you look at patristic pristology, patristic soteriology in the Early Church, that's there. So again, I'm not denying that there is a very high soteriology on the other side of the resurrection in both the Gospel John and in the early New Testament epistles. However, I also think that what you're seeing in the Gospel narrative here is.
Speaker 1: A he's using the word patriistic. I just want to point out because a lot of people wouldn't aren't going to know what that means. This is in reference to like Early Church father teachings, which by the way, is shocking to me how few Christians read Early Church Fathers. I mean, I think, I think it's a pretty big deal in Orthodox and Orthodoxy, but why would you not want to know what the first Christians thought, And did you know the people some of these people knew disciples, They knew apostles briefly, Disciples an apostle. They're kind of used interchangeably because they essentially mean the same thing. But apostle specifically means like that they went out into the world to spread the Gospel, whereas disciple just means that you're a student. So you could be a disciple without being an apostle technically, although I assume all the disciples except for Judas did go out, although I'm not sure about that. But you can't really be an apostle without being a part of like a chain of succession like some other apostle or Jesus, you know, or the Holy Spirit would have needed to like ordain you as an apostle. And so, you know, the Orthodox and the Catholics are pretty big on this apostolic chain that goes back to Jesus. This is sort of where they feel their authority comes from to make the claims, you know, that they make that they are the Church set up on earth by Jesus, that he references in the Bible, that he says the gates of Hell won't prevail against Now, you know, the Protestants have a different view, which is that they are also a part of that although but you know, Apostolic secession is not as big of a deal for them. I don't think anyway. Why did I tell the song story? Oh, Patristic? This, this whole intermission here is just to tell you what Patristic meant.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. He is a super human claim being made by Jesus when he uses first of all the son of man to refer to himself and makes the claim to be able to do something. At least what you to four has been viewed as a divine progative, namely, not to ask God to forgive their sins, not to offer a sacrifice on behalf, but simply to declare the man's sins forgiven, and not just the man. Notice what he says, Tom.
Speaker 1: I just want to interrupt. I agree with this. I think this is a great response to Alex's objection and to a pretty common objection, which is that this is just a priestly progative, which is that a religious figure in a religious community can offer forgiveness on behalf of God. I don't, I mean, I get it, it's reasonable. I just I don't think it really stands up.
Speaker 3: My son.
Speaker 2: That's a weird way to address presumably another another adult male who is not actually your son. That's a strange He'll do this throughout the gospels, my daughter, my son. Now these are not as students. These are just bystanders, strangers, sick people. It doesn't make a lot of sense if he's merely human. But if he's implying that he's more than just an ordinary rabbi, ordinary teacher, then there are these various hints and clues that build together toward making the claim here in this case, for sure, of not just being a son of man, like a human being like a Psalm eight, but the son of man, meaning the heavenly figure that you see in the Book of Daniel, who's described as we're singing, receiving glory, honor, power, kingdom, and who comes on the clouds right something.
Speaker 1: That Now this is pretty subtle, though, you know, I think I think this is not really what most Christians mean when they say Jesus is God. Now this is different than saying something like Christ is king, you know, because we're very we know Jesus claimed to be the Messiah, which is the king of Israel, Israel, meaning, you know, God's people, those who strive with God. Some people say those who wrestle with God, but I don't actually think that's correct. I think it's those who strive with God, God's people. So christis King is less controversial, right, because Jesus did claim to be the king the Messiah. But Jesus is God is a little bit different. And so I'm actually going to read Daniel seven thirteen, which is the reference to the divine, pre existent figure called the Son of Man. So he says, this is Daniel seven thirteen. In my vision at night, I looked, and there before me was one like a son of Man, one like a human. Right, So basically what he's saying is, there's a man in the sky. There's a human being in the sky, and there before me was one like a son of Man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. Ancient of Days is a title for God. And so you know, it is in this context that they are separate beings. And I just think it's important to mention that this is the traditional Christian understanding. You know, when Catholics are Orthodox say, you know, Jesus Christ is God, they don't mean like he's literally the same being as God. It's it's very it's a nuance. I understand, it's a nuance. So so he approached the Ancient of days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory, and sovereign power. All nations and peoples of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed. So the the way I interpret this is that Jesus is claiming basically to be an extension of what is often called the God Head right the Trinity, into this realm. It's you know, it's it's God entered his creation in the form of a man. But that spirit that animates that flesh right existed before Jesus' conception. And so this is again why I love the video game metaphor. You know, if you were going to step into a video game that you made, you would create an avatar that is of the substance of the game. You know, it is of the whatever the matter is in that virtual world, whether it's information, which is kind of what we think it as in this universe. You know, you were going to embody a physical form, and so what this is saying is that again the son of Man, a human form, is has authority, glory, and sovereign power. He's a divine figure in all nations, and peoples of every language will worship him, and his dominion on earth is everlasting and will not pass away, so it's eternal and his kingdom will never be destroyed. This is what I think Jesus is claiming to be, and it's kind of obvious because he calls himself the Son of Man and the Messiah over and over and over again. It's just I think, so if this is what you mean when you say Jesus is God, then absolutely I agree. So anyway, I think that's the traditional understanding. I don't know someone who is, you know, is a part of a church that has like a strong basis and the theology of the Trinity. Let me know if I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: God does in Theophanes in the Old Testament. So I think this is a good example of how just on the surface, there are lots of different possible interpretations of so you may know, the Son of Man has authority earth on earth to forgive sense, But if you look at it elusively, like what Jewish text from the Old Testament is he alluding to? And what does that Old Testament text in context reveal about the implication of who he's claiming to be. I definitely think that in this case he is making the implicit claim to be a heavenly messiah, like the Son of Man, who has divine power to forgive sins directly. And that's why I think the describes in this case do not misinterpret the implications of his actions. And in fact, the whole point of the miracle is so that you may know that I have the power to perform the invisibly divine act of forgiving his sins. I'll I'll perform the visible miracle, so to speak, of healing his body and healing his paralysis by saying, rise, take up your palate. So that's my reading of the text.
Speaker 3: That there's a lot to be said, right, And I hope people can realize that. Some people ask me like, yeah, yeah, Alex, why are you, as an agnostic atheist guy so interested in Christology And it's like just listening to you speak. You can imagine you're on the Wikipedia page trying to read, and it's like all the hyperlinks that you're clicking, all the tabs that are slowly opening, the tyology Son of man Son, It's absolutely fascinating, all of it.
Speaker 2: I've two in a Jewish studying. By the time you get to first century, the dan Yellick Son of Man figure is in early Jewish apocalyptic texts, depicted in forth asra or for these ancient writings as a pre existent superhuman heavenly being. So there's also a resonance within Jewish circles here. When Jesus alludes to famous these are not obscure passages in the Old Testament. These are famous passages, highly debated passages. And just like you and I might allude to a famous movie or a famous song and we can expect the audience to pick up on it, in this case, I think that's how he's operating with his audience in market.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it will have to talk about the Son of man of course, I mean that that is the greatest mystery. But just before that, I've only got maybe a couple of things to say about this. Please forgiving sins business and part of the interesting.
Speaker 1: Uh okay, So we're shifting gears now to Matthew. So Matthew retells his story, but he retells it differently. And this is a really common criticism, and it's a good criticism, and that is that Jesus seems to get more divine as you move from the oldest sources to the youngest sources. So, like Mark, our earliest source other than Paul's letters, doesn't really make a super strong theological claim that Jesus is is God, certainly, but John does. John is where we get a lot of this stuff. Like before Abraham was I am. These are like sort of famously cited passages that support Jesus' divine claim. And so the atheist perspective is like, well, isn't that a coincidence? You know, this is basically the perspective now. I think this is I don't know, it's in argument. It's not to me, it's not super compelling. We also don't really know when the Gospels were written. I mean we when we say John is the newest, it's it's we have older versions of Mark than we do of John. We don't necessarily know that that is the first version of John. You know, so I kind of am hesitant to say that John is just a much richer writer. And each of these gospels are written to different audiences, so I think that's kind of a stretch. But you know, you're going to see this on display right now. Matthew, which is believed to be slightly more recent, maybe not by much, maybe by only a decade, tones some of the divine claims back. I'm sorry, am I saying that correctly?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: He tones it back. So this is a oh so this is kind of the actually the opposite. Sorry, I'm kind of telling the story. I'm kind of conflating two different arguments. So the first thing I said that is true. That is a common atheistic argument, but I think Matthew might be an exception. I think the point here is that he's always how about we just listen.
Speaker 3: So it's part of the fun of doing this is that a lot of the time you have multiple versions of a story. Right You've got multiple gospel telling the same story, which gives us a really good insight into what was definitely sort of believed as to have happened, what might be embellishments of an author, And there are a few things to say. Firstly, on this son and daughter business, I do think that is kind of interesting. But that's a question that I will be hopeless to answer unless I understand, you know, like colloquial galilee and ways of speaking. I mean, you know, I could walk down the street and a police officer might come up to me and say, hey, son, you know, don't.
Speaker 2: Quest you If you're in the South in the United States, that would be there.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of difficult to know, but it is interesting, right that. The only other things that I that I'd want to point out is is firstly, well, it's all to do with the fact that this is in Mark's Gospel. That Matthew's gospel has this story as well, of course, and in Matthew is a little bit later, it's in chapter nine, and I want to emphasize that Matthew takes I think it's something like ninety five percent of Mark's Gospel is just copied the beatam in Matthew's Gospel. Like it's it's like basically the entire of myn.
Speaker 1: This is a good point.
Speaker 2: Here's my deal.
Speaker 1: I think you got to take it head on, right, like if you want to know the truth. You need to hear the best arguments on both said, So this is a good point. Matthew is very close to Mark, and that makes the distinctions more important because it's sort of implies, Now this is an assumption, but it sort of implies that he changed things for a reason. Now, we also don't think Matthew literally copied Mark. So some people will say that most New Testament scholars, atheist New Testament scholars, thinks that there is an older source for Matthew Mark in maybe Luke called Q and so that would put that original source. That would put that even closer to the resurrection, which I think is cool, you know, because people kind of like to say, like, oh, all this time went by between the resurrection and the written accounts of Jesus' life. That's probably not true.
Speaker 3: So we continue Scoppel, He's reproduced with extra material. But that's just these few passages for whatever reason, Matthew doesn't copy from Mark. Just a handful of them, sure, and one of them occurs in this story. When this story is told, Matthew removed moves a line. And what's the line he removes? He removes the line where the scribes say who can forgive sins but God alone. That's not in Matthew's version, which given that he doesn't seem so.
Speaker 1: Just another just to flush this out a little bit more in market excuse me, the Pharisees or someone in the crowd yells he's blaspheming. So this is like a crucial point because blasphemy is, you know, claiming to be God in ancient Jewish, in this setting, in this context, and so this is like what they're saying is he's claiming to be God, which would sort of answer the question about our debate, right, And the next line is who can forgive sins? But God alone? God alone? And Matthew takes that out. So that is an interesting point to bring.
Speaker 3: Up to remove things like willy nilly. There seems to be an intentionality behind removing this reference to only God can forgive sins, and I wonder if that's got something to do with the developing understanding that actually that's not true, or maybe that's another explanation, maybe it's a coincidence. The only other thing I'll say, and I'll let you respond to this, because it's the same the same story is after this in Matthew's version, as you say.
Speaker 2: The crowd reacts.
Speaker 3: In Matthew's version, what is it that they say? Then the man got up and went home. When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe, and they praised God who had given such authority to a man.
Speaker 1: Man exactly, yes, to man technically, but it's uh, how do you contend with that? I mean, this is we'll find out. I don't actually remember his answer, but this is now to me, it doesn't really change my like my belief system. Like to me, these are like nuances, and I don't like, I don't actually think Jesus is equivalent to like the Father or to Yahweh, because he makes it very very clear that he's not so like To me, that's fine. I believe he's the son of Man because that's what he claims to be. He is a eternal divine figure. And you know, we think there are three of these eternal divine figures, and collectively we call them God. So to me, it's straightforward. Now, I know that Trinity is not directly mentioned in the Bible. This is like a theological invention, but it is based you know, it's based on the Bible, like the Father the Son in the Holy Spirit are consistently referred to as eternal divine beings. So I don't know, it's kind of a nuance. But you know, obviously, people, we've been debating this stuff for two thousand years, so it's not unimportant.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you can see how I'm going to read this, right, like, well, Matthew's taking out this forgiveness of sins. They recognize that God has given this authority to a man.
Speaker 2: What was happen on that? Okay, so this is great. I'm so glad you brought up because this is an important point. You'll notice one of the title I organize about the title for a long time. The title of the book is Divine Christology. And there's a reason for that. It wasn't just Jesus and his divinity, because the thesis of the book, although there's a lot of emphasis on divinity, is not just that Jesus is divine simplicitate, right like, just in its simplest form. It's that he's a divine Christ, a divine Messiah. So there's divine Messianism. So there's both human and divine. And one of the challenges I've found with this is that very frequently sometimes people will assume, well, if I'm saying he's divine, I'm some way saying he's not human. And that's obviously it's not the Catho classic Catholic Christology, which always of both and on this point, but it is understandable. So I agree with Matthew Surprise Chrise that it is fascinating that God has given this authority to a man, because I am not saying that in Mark two or in Matthew's version, he's not a man. What I am saying is he's not merely a man, and then he has divine power and divine prerogatives that exceed that of a normal human being. So both respond, and.
Speaker 1: I would say, this is what this is the natural reading. You know, if you read, if you read Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, this is how you feel, you know, Okay, Jesus is a man, yes, but he's not just a man. He's the son of man. He is an eternal divine figure sent by the Father. And this is what he says, you know, this is what he says. So I don't know. Sometimes I do wonder, like do we kind of take it too far when we say Jesus is God, but again within the within the orthodox understanding of what it means to say Jesus is God. I think it's fine because he is a aspect of what we call God. So anyway, I'll stop, I'll shut.
Speaker 2: Up, as we never seen anything like this, mark and wow, how has God given such authority to a man? Our reasonable responses because I'm arguing that Jesus is revealing through his words and actions the mystery of his not just his divinity, as if he's a divine being who's pretending to be human or appearing as human might make some angelic beings in ill Testament, but actually divine, a divine man or a divine Messiah. So I agree with with your emphasis there on humanity, but I don't think it takes away from the superhuman or exalted status to which he is also laying claim implicitly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's a key point, is that, like if they was saying something like that, the reactions of the crowd is like, that's weird that a that a man can do that. Yeah, just because you know he's not just a man, you know, but you do you have a view on why Matthew removes this reference.
Speaker 1: To the man.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'll be honest with you. I spent a lot of years, uh studying the synoptic problem, studying Q at a Q library. I get more and more cautious and more and more agnostic about my ability to get inside the head of why an author took this out or whether they even did or not. It's extremely complex question. The synoptic problem is a you know, the question of which author wrote first, who copied from whom, and then why did they make the changes, omissions, additions, reactions that they did. I think a lot of that is honestly beyond the limits of our ability to really know. We could guess, we can speculate. There are certain tendencies that you can definitely see if you're right about the relationship of which author is copying from which? But I'm gonna pull Is it okay? If I can be agnostic on that point, I don't. Of course, I don't know. I like I I I'm not sure, and I will tell it.
Speaker 3: I mean, it is worth pointing out that the Matthew does remove that phrase who can be give s but God alone? He does still have the scribe say this man is blaspheming absolutely, so it's difficult to know how he'd be blaspheming if not on the same grounds.
Speaker 2: And as an author too, the one reasons I've edited now I guess I've written published now almost ten books. Sometimes I don't even know why I'll miss something, or it is a very complex process, so I'm always a little hesitant to guess, yeah, there, and that they could.
Speaker 3: Be all kinds of It could literally be that Matthew had a version of Mark's Gospel and his eyes skipped over the verse, and it could be it could be anything.
Speaker 2: And also too, when we say Matthew has ninety five percent of Mark in it or ninety more than that, it's true, but it's actually you gotta be careful because a lot of the episodes that are that is true with regard to the episodes in Matthew, but it's not actually true with regard to a lot of the material. Oftentimes, the episode in Matthew is shorter even so you have the same perickopee, but it's actually longer in Mark. Like with the healing of the Garrisine daemoniac, it's same episode much longer in Mark than it is in Matthew. So Matthew actually has a content. If you're taking the hypothesis the two sores that Marks first and Matthew and the copy Matthew actually has a habit of shortening market episodes. He wants to preserve them all, but his tendency is to make them more brief, so you get more detail, more elaboration Mark, with fewer episodes. So again it's it's it's a complicated question.
Speaker 3: So I'm not sure I'll tell you what I should do, maybe at this junction, because they're paths exploding in front of me where we could go.
Speaker 2: I want to.
Speaker 1: So the next section we'll do next time. It's called was Jesus a disciple of John the Baptist? So I you know, I think this guest to me is incredibly compelling, Like his argument supports my view. You know, I don't know, I don't know how that applies to like the traditional Christian view, but totally makes sense to me. And the last point that Matthew is just a more concern ice telling of the same story kind of makes sense. And it could be that he is not copying Mark. You know, four people are retelling the same straight now it is true though they probably are copying some source because you know it, the over the episodes are just too similar. You know, you would expect there to be like more stories or episodes in one versus the other, but they are ninety five percent similar. So but within those episodes, the length and the detail varies quite a bit. So anyway, kind of an interesting problem that's called the synoptic problem. As you mentioned, I think we'll wrap up. I just didn't want to read. Oh, I just want to say something that gives me a little bit of hope for society, you know, because they see things on YouTube and Instagram and it's like, man, everybody's into the dumbest stuff, Like everybody's into like the Battle of the Sex is, you know, these weird little political fleeting issues. Now, there are some big political issues that matter, don't get me wrong, but it just people are not deep. You know. This is like my perspective, it's mean, it's cruel. It's like, you don't want to feel that way about your fellow man. Well, something that does give me a little bit of hope is that this video has a million views. A million views, that's pretty nuts, and the channel has two million subscribers. That's pretty crazy. Now, again, this is a channel that's atheist, but I think you have to agree, like these conversations are enriching, you know, even for Christians, like that they're having. It's very polite, very respectful, and you know, in this case, it's the best going against the best. It's not a straw man argument. It's not a super intelligent atheist debating like some random person on the street. You know, because because there are videos like that, and they people do, I think, lose faith in things that maybe they shouldn't. You know that maybe there are good arguments for So I actually kind of personally I appreciate this, but I kinda I got a nice email today. I got a few nice emails today, but this one is the nicest someone to read it. I just think this is cool. So so bear with me. Uh. I listened to quite a few podcasts. I keep coming back to yours. I especially enjoyed the personal anecdotes. Well, hey, I didn't let you down today? Am I a horrible father? Have I created a serial liar? Now? I kind of feel bad about telling that story. I don't know, I gotta understand.
Speaker 2: It was like.
Speaker 1: I want my son to feel like he can trust his sister, you know that there that he's not enough. She's not another parent. And I don't my daughter to feel like she has to be a parent. You know, She's just a kid. So I just want them to be friends, you know, because when I'm gone, I need them to have each other, you know. So anyway, those moments make everything feel grounded and genuine. I also appreciate the discussions that bridge science, philosophy and a spiritual dimension. Can't always follow every technical detail me either, but the ideas themselves fascinate me. And this is cool because this guy's a Christian missionary, So like, I think this is how you build community and attract people. Because I've said a lot of things on the show that are probably wrong, you know, and I've probably said things that you know, maybe the typical Christian probably maybe doesn't like. And so one reaction you can have is like animosity. But you know, when you kind of extend an alive branch and say like, yeah, I'm interested, then like me, I'm like, okay, if this person corrects me on something I said that was incorrect, I'm going to listen, you know, because this is not someone acting out of like just intense ideology. This is a real human being, and therefore I'm gonna, you know, treat them as such. Right. So anyway, So one particular episode that stood out to me was a discussion on Genesis where one guest was presenting a Christian take and another was respectfully questioning that, Hey, that's who we were listening to today. That was Alex. I thought it was an excellent conversation and I'd love to hear more exchanges like that. Boom Wish. Granted, many of the topics you explore sit on the fringe. Aliens, disclosures, consciousness, gnosticism, CE five, near death experiences, simulation theory, and a growing movement towards humanity seeking contact with non human intelligence. It seems that these these ideas are becoming increasingly mainstream, and I find that fascinating. I agree, I agree the simulation hypothesis is especially intriguing. Digital reality, quantization, plank scale, whether reality has an informational structure intellectually stimulating. And now I should point out that I think these ideas actually support a supernatural worldview, So I don't think these things are exclusive, and I assume he probably feels the same way otherwise, even listen to the show right. Part of that comes from my background before becoming a missionary, I spent around thirty years as a sculptor, creating large, interactive sculptures that people could actually walk inside and experience. That sounds cool. I'm going to google this. I would share it publicly, but he didn't give me permission. So, but that sounds exciting from my own Christian perspecse, though, I find myself interpreting these developments through a different lens. Whether it's the idea that we're star seeds, that our creators are extraterrestrial intelligences, or that salvation somehow comes through advanced beings or expanded consciousness. I can't help but seeing echoes of what the Bibles describe as spiritual deception. I completely agree with this completely, and I just see I mean, I remember there was this debate between Billy Carson and West Huff. I know there's people who don't like me bringing this up, but he had just went on this tour about like the collective unconscious and even saying even using words like christ consciousness, and so he kind of has the like, if you're a raised Christian you're kind of like, Okay, this is interesting, right, you know, I'm interested. It was very new agy you know, but he was sneaking into the conversations like very anti Christian ideas like that the crucifixion ever happened, and that the earliest biblical manuscripts didn't include it. And he said these things with authority, and so he did debate wes Huff and it turns out he just basically just made it all up. Then he was a liar, and he had an unhinged six hour YouTube response and he just like just his mannerisms and the way he looked and the things he was saying, and he was seething, seething talking about referring to like Christianity as a cult and stuff, which is fine, but it's like, don't pretend to be like quasi Christian, you know, and say, well, but of course I'm not actually Christian because you know, the crucifixion and actually happened. But you know, the teachings that Jesus said like these are that's really about elevating your consciousness and blah blah blah blah blah. It's you know, you're being intentionally deceptive that's the part that bothers me. I would be open minded to this stuff if I just hadn't seen so many people be revealed in real time to be intentionally deceptive. So so this writer says, my own conviction is that scripture provides a better framework for understanding these experiences. For example, one he you know, he quotes two Corinthians eleven fourteen that Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. I actually had a conversation about this with my kids in the car today. I love having conversations with my kids in the car. I haven't talked much to them about the Bible, but they know enough. And my son likes this book, this TV show called Superbook. In the beginning is the battle between Michael and Lucifer, right which and Lucifer is not even really you know, we don't have to go there. But this premise, this is not really described much in the Bible, this angelic rebellion, but you know, we do. Jesus says that he saw, you know, loose Satan fall from heaven like lightning and stuff. So there's a bit of this. But one thing that is clear is that you know, Satan is a deceiver, and uh, why did I bring up my kids? Oh? Anyway, we just we just talked a bit about this because oh that's right, Okay, I've got one more story. I haven't even told my wife yet this yet. She's on FaceTime with my son right now. My son has been subscribing to these like kind of weird YouTube channels, and I'm like why, And so finally he said to me, well, because because they say, if you love Jesus, subscribe. And I was like, first of all, it's kind of a proud father moment because I we've never been to a church, like, I've never really talked much about this, and he's like, well, I love Jesus, you know, so he subscribes. It's like it's like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 1: First of all, it's so cute, you know, I love that. But also I had to explain to him, like this is not a good thing for them to be doing. You know, it's not and they're not even particularly they're not like Christian channels. This is like roadblocks, you know stuff. So so I was like, this is a manipulation tactic, Like this is this is deception. You know, it's unsubscribed to all this stuff like this is not this is not the way you do it. You know. It reminds me of like old email threads, like if you don't send this email to ten other people, like your best friend is going to die kind of a thing, and you're like, oh, I better do it. You know, it's kind of superstitious. So we had this long conversation about like just deception and and how to me this was almost kind of an example as like presenting yourself as like an angel of light, you know, like, hey, if you love Jesus, you need to subscribe to my content so I can make money online. It's like, well that's probably not, probably not the way to go. Anyway, this verse has become something of an anchor for me when these subjects come up at the same time. I genuinely enjoy hearing different viewpoints and appreciate the respectful way your podcast allows ideas to be explored. Thank you, man. I do I do like I do dwell on this. Sometimes I've prayed about it. It's just like what am I doing here? You know? What I don't want to be is I don't want to be performative in my belief you know, I want to like actually explore these questions. And sometimes that's only scientific.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We've had many episodes where we never bring up anything approaching religion, but every once in a while, I do like to explore. As for me, I'm a Christian missionary serving in Pakistan. Man, how cool that we have people like this listening to the show. If I'm not in the local gym, striking up conversations and sharing the gospel, I'm usually out in brick killed communities helping to free families from decades of bonded slavery by raising funds to pay off their debts. Hallelujah. Man, If you I mean listen, we won't raise any because only two of you have even bought the book and that only costs, you know, eighteen bucks. But if you have, like a GoFundMe or something, I'm happy to share it. At other times, we're taking medical teams into unreached areas, or preaching and teaching in the churches, or ministry is planted. It's a very different world from discussing simulation theory a UAPs. Yes it is, and perhaps that's one reason I enjoy returning to your podcast. It exercises a different part of my mind. It keeps me thinking. Man, so cool. Yeah, please share. If there's a way people can send you money, please do I you know, I think I mentioned I spent three weeks in Haiti. Now it was a Christian mission trip, but I was just on it because I wasn't a Christian. The school I went to the first time I went to grad school was a Christian school, and they had this opportunity to go. My dad was involved with like setting up the not the trip, but there was a university there and there was a lot of amputees after the earthquake, so they were trying to get like a prosthetics program running at the university, and so he was involved with that, and so he was going to go. So I was like, I'll go. He actually went a bunch of times, and they're it, dude, you feel something. It changes you, like being engaged in like purposeful work, like spending the day, like gathering supplies to build, you know, repair a school that collapsed. It's just I think it's how people feel after returning from the military, like just the sense of just you all. There's there's never like, hey, what should I be doing? Like purpose is just manifest at all times, and it's manifest to your group. So there's like a sort of brotherhood. I mean it's men and women, but you know what I mean, there's like this this like you're all in it together, working towards a common goal. And I honestly, for a moment, I was like, I'm gonna change my whole life. I'm just gonna do this forever. And I remember I got back to the Newark, New Jersey, was my connecting flight, got McDonald's, and I was like, this is depressing, Like this is disgusting, you know, like a few hours ago, I was in hell on Earth, you know, and now I'm just in access, like just the excess, the stress. But it fades, you know, you kind of sink back into your routines and you just sort of forget about it. You forget that there's like suffering, but also there's also beauty, a ton of beauty and purpose, just like amazing amounts of purpose. And I can't help but think Jesus was onto something when he said, like this is how your life should be directed. Your life should be directed towards like helping people, because it totally changes the way you do everything. But hey, it fades here. I am here. I am in my life of relative excess compared to them. You know. I remember my buddy was there, My buddy that I got in the theological argument with yesterday or yeah, yesterday that I told you about. We were there together and he came up to me and he's like, dude, dude, come here, I gotta talk to you. And my friend and I were like not good people, you know, like listen, I think deep down I'm a good person, but we were like we we were like class clowns, you know. And he's like, man, come here, I gotta talk to you. I'm like, yeah, what's up? And he goes, I feel so bad for these kids. They're cooking. I'm watching them cook and there's like flies and the food and like maggots and the rice and nothing's refrigerated. And he's like, what are we going to do? Like we're out and we spend our money for the day, Like what if we were like talking about going to get a bunch of mangoes or something for a few bucks and the lady comes out and serves us the food that he was just telling me he was so disgusting. And our guide guy, you know, the guy who lives there permanently was like, you'd need to eat this, it would be disrespectful, like they just it's they don't have much and they're choosing to share it with you, and so he just sat there and ate it. It's like, bro, I wish you wouldn't have told me that ten percent of these little rice grains or maggots, But I ate it like a champ. And honestly, I didn't get sick the whole time I was there. The first time I got sick, I ate McDonald's in Newark, New Jersey. I grew up. So anyway, thanks for listening to everybody. Please email me at God's I Viewbook at gmail dot com let me know what you think of this style of episode. We're gonna do probably two or three more of these to finish this particular interview. So stay safe out there, everybody, and God bless