Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: It's a letter with.
Speaker 3: Mo Kelly and Marshall Callier on this Tech Thursday. We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app. Marshall Callier, let's dispense with the pleasantries because we got to get to it.
Speaker 2: Signal.
Speaker 3: Signal, Signal, it's the I will say, a portion of the biggest story in the world. Most people may not have known about signal. What is it beyond obviously some sort of communication.
Speaker 4: I thought it was some sort of religious thing for personally, I didn't really know. But since we know about signal, and one of the things people don't know is what is encryption? And we entered encrypt. Well what's encrypt mean? Well, there are different kinds of encryption, but in this case, I'm sure you've heard of end to end encryption, yes, which Gmail supposedly does, right, and Signal does that with your texts, as does WhatsApp, as does Telegram.
Speaker 5: Uh so it's not uncommon.
Speaker 4: But you can have man in the middle attacks and a man in the middle attack, just like when somebody can come up to your house and sees your Wi Fi system so they can rob you and your alarm won't go off. People can intercept your phone and get all the information.
Speaker 2: But you know, no, go ahead, go ahead, Please continue.
Speaker 4: But we had a solution to this which I don't understand frankly, and we'll talk about the Signal company and Milte. There was BlackBerry, yes, if you remember, President Obama used BlackBerry till the end.
Speaker 3: All right, hold that thought, because I want to play this clip which kind of highlights where I think you're going. And this is Chris Pearson, who is the CEO of black Cloak, and he makes this distinct that I want you to elaborate on.
Speaker 2: So listen to this. Please.
Speaker 6: A text message that you send between yourself and your parents, your brothers, your friends, that is pretty much akin to sending a postcard. Writing the information on a postcard that everyone can see in the mail not going to be secure if you have to transmit that information to family member, social security number, other information there and you want to use in cryptocommunication. Signal is going to be an.
Speaker 7: Application of a choice, but it is a consumer based application. The real issue here is that for sensitive or classified information that is being used by and transmitted by the government that number one, the devices must be protected and number two, the application and the transmission.
Speaker 5: Of the data must be protected.
Speaker 8: Just simply using an encrypted app that is only consumer grade on a personal device is actually going to open up the United States and others to forums, fine hacking, and other risks.
Speaker 2: What I want to know is he makes a distinction between encrypt.
Speaker 3: The data, which you just talked about, and also the device protection.
Speaker 2: What does he mean by that.
Speaker 4: Well, the data encryption and device encryption in a device, it encrypts the storage on the device, which we have. Actually currently Windows has a built in program, as does Apple file Vault on Apple, but those are full device encryption.
Speaker 5: Now, what Signal.
Speaker 4: Does is it takes the data, encrypts it, in other words, turns it into gibberis. So if somebody did intercept that, they wouldn't be able to make sense of it. And that's a call or a text and once it lands on their servers because it has to land on a server for it to bounce back to somewhere else.
Speaker 3: So okay, so you can't necessarily hack Signal that data transfer, right, But I get the sense that like a personal device, since we're talking about government may be more susceptible to being attacked.
Speaker 4: Well, have you ever seen something and that's called millspeck when you're looking for a case for your phone or a battery. MILLSPEC means military specifications. Okay, okay, there are grades of security. I don't know how many there are. But just just like Resident Obama was told stop using BlackBerry, it's a danger. Why is that because it wasn't millspec. It wasn't strong enough. You see, you can have a rope that's a quarter of an inch thick, you can have.
Speaker 2: A rope that's great analogy four.
Speaker 4: Inches thick, and there's your difference. It's a lot harder to saw through that four inch thick rope. So that's your real difference. It's a high level of security. And if your disc is encrypted where you store the sensitive information, it'll prevent unauthorized access.
Speaker 5: Got it, so they can't be hacked.
Speaker 4: They you see, there's other softwares involved here too that are protecting we'll say the hard drive, but that's a little bit.
Speaker 2: So people understand what you're saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, basically the hard drive and keeping the data in gibberish should anybody break it through.
Speaker 5: But if you've got Millspeck, if you've.
Speaker 4: Got which brings to the whole thing, why does not our US government? Since BlackBerry had these great products, and we know Signal and Signal is a five oh one three c charitable foundation. They're in data and their data of programming is free for anyone to use to develop new software.
Speaker 2: Or deconstruct and reverse engineer too.
Speaker 4: I would imagine, yes you can, but I mean they take donations.
Speaker 5: I checked it. It's owned by the Signal Foundation.
Speaker 4: So when it comes to all of this gone to space, for heaven's sake, why can't we put together an app that's used for governments?
Speaker 5: Karen Bass would be real happy if we had one of those.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 4: I mean all levels of government. It should be what our government uses to talk to each other, period, and it should automatically record their texts and their calls so that the record is kept, as you know, technically must be kept.
Speaker 3: Because of the Federal Records Act. And that's what you touch upon. But I'm guessing I don't know. I suspect that people are using Signal because they don't want a record of everything that they're community.
Speaker 5: Exactly, and that's true.
Speaker 4: You can use telegram and WhatsApp, like I said, but still, when you're talking about military, when you're talking about thousands of lives at stake, when you're talking about bombing and sinking ships, you really really better put down the dollars to put together real software. And honestly, since we have such a base of excellent software, now I can tell you I'm sure that there is something, but it should be distributed to all government agencies.
Speaker 3: Or let me ask you this the possibility it does already exist that level of encrypted software which will protect not only the communication but the device.
Speaker 2: But individuals have chosen not to use it.
Speaker 5: Well, you see that's the problem.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like we talk about our elected people. How many of them ever ran a business? Do they know how to run a budget? I don't know that they know how to run a device, even a phone that has to send out a ping to translate.
Speaker 2: I don't think they have to know. I'm quite sure they're instructed.
Speaker 3: I'm quite sure there are protocols that are put in place, such as don't use your own personal device to communicate sensitive information, which way know is a variable in this discussion.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, but they don't know. I mean, if you remember any of the Congressional hearings or the Senate hearings when they ask questions no offense. I'm sure they're really nice people in our elected government, but they don't know jack about tech tech. I mean kind of having somebody like Elon Good or Bad can at least teach them some sort of tech or his people can teach them something that's going to make our country safer and better for everybody.
Speaker 5: Because yes, spies.
Speaker 3: But we know and you're someone who's traveled the world. You have been to China, you know about their capabilities and their intentions. Security doesn't mean much if not everyone. For example, let me make it real basic and easy for people to understand. You can have the best lock in the world on your house, but if you leave the door unlocks when you walk out, it doesn't make a lot of difference.
Speaker 4: But again, like I said, Millspeck consumer grade. There's a guy who can walk up to your house and shut your WiFi down with a one hundred and ninety nine dollars device.
Speaker 2: That's consumer grade.
Speaker 4: But they're telling you you're going to be protected by having this expensive system running on Wi Fi. Oh let's Wi Fi your door locks. Yes, let's make that safe.
Speaker 2: Marshall Collier, I'd love you for that.
Speaker 3: You just gave us the pure, unfiltered truth, even though it may be scary. But speaking of scary, let's talk about twenty three and meters and what has just been announced regarding that court case and bankruptcy. Finally, when we come back, it's later with mo Kelly. Marshall Callier joins me in the studio, dropping pearls of wisdom.
Speaker 2: We're live everywhere the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Later with mo Kelly and Marshall Callier continues to join me in studio on this Tech Thursday. We discussed earlier in the what is going on with ancestry excuse me twenty three and me the DNA company where you can find out about your ancestry, Well, how are your twenty three percent this or twenty five percent that? And I remember saying that since they're going through bankruptcy, I would be very scared if I had given my DNA, if only because as they try to settle up with their creditors. The only thing that twenty three and meters has of value would be its data.
Speaker 5: That's the only asset. That's all there is.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: You and I talked about this a couple of years ago, as it is what you warned this fact why we shouldn't be doing this. Now they're bankrupt, they owe money. What happens they have to raise money, so they're going to have to sell their only assets. And I believe it was yesterday the judge in the case gave them permission to sell the DNA data.
Speaker 2: They don't even have to do it surreptitiously.
Speaker 4: No, they have a judge's okay. Now, remember we in California were covered by the California Consumer Privacy Act. Yeah, yeah, very nice. Our politicians did that. But the Genetic Information Privacy Act GIPA is a federal act which covers all of us. And we may have a really robust policy in California, but everybody is so let me tell you what to do. Because the judge said, well, you know, you can settle the sale of the company then and then and so it's a moving target. It's when things happen in the stock market, you just can't put a finger. It's like trying to catch a slight falling knife. You don't want to do that. So I want anybody who has ever used twenty three in May to go to the site, sign in your account, and go to the settings section of your profile. In the settings section of your profile, scroll to the section labeled twenty three and me data at the bottom of page. Clickview next to twenty three and me data. Now download your data. You paid for this, it is yours. If you want a copy of your genetic data for your personal storage, choose the option to download it to your device before proceeding.
Speaker 5: Do that first.
Speaker 3: Here's my question, because I always think like a criminal, even though I'm not one. The criminal in me would say, well, just because you downloaded your data doesn't mean that you have the only copy of your data that is not still going to be sold to a third party.
Speaker 5: Not Millspeck.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: I mean, but I remember, I'm sorry to interrupt you, but I remember how twenty three meters was bending over backwards. They had an actual ad campaign they were doing on radio stations saying that no, we're not going to sell your data, your data is safe, yeah yeah, yeah, blah blah, And maybe that was the truth or their original intention.
Speaker 2: Well it's being sold down right.
Speaker 4: But the thing is, the other company, Ancestry, was at least tied in with helping people get to records and information so they could put together their family's genealogy. Twenty three and me had nothing really except.
Speaker 2: You had to input the data.
Speaker 4: You're two percent from Iceland. So once you download your data, you just scroll to the delete data section. That should be easy click permanently delete data.
Speaker 2: Now they don't have a copy somewhere.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm telling.
Speaker 2: You, I know you just say what they're saying. I just waited.
Speaker 4: Actually they didn't say this everybody, but that there's more confirm your request. You'll receive an email from twenty three in may. Follow the link in the email to confirm your delete. So once you've deleted it, you better answer that email otherwise, oh wise you haven't confirmed you want to delete it now, if you've previously opted to have your saliva sample and DNA stored by twenty three and meters and a lot of people did for research purposes things like that, you want to change the preferences and you can do that from your account settings page. Go to preferences and you can withdraw consent on the account settings page under Research and Product Consents. So do it under GIPA, which I mentioned earlier, California consumers can delete their account and genetic data and have the actual biological sample destroyed.
Speaker 5: Now, whether they're going to do it or not, you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's just like a like pinky swear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pinky swear. Because I remember when this was first coming up. Famous school I think was Harvard did a study because they would tell you it's anonymized, it's under a number, it's not under your name. But they could tell from either the saliva or the blood or whatever what pollens this person was inhaling. They could narrow down to a mile of where that sample came from without having that information, and then put in, oh, well there's a red hair gene here that how many redheads live in that once? Okay, so and they can go through the genetic data and blow your cover it is not anonymized.
Speaker 2: Well that's cheery. I feel all better already know.
Speaker 3: Actually, I'm very glad that I never did it, And to my knowledge, no one in my family has either.
Speaker 5: Yeah you never know.
Speaker 3: I said, As far as I know, no one in my family has maybe they did it and didn't tell anyone. The next thing I know, mister Kelly, you're wanted from me because you mentioned genealogy profile.
Speaker 4: I don't understand when we see the crime movies where the guy drops his coffee cup in the garbage can all of a sudden, you know, the CSI guy just picks it up and oh yeah, there's DNA now, oh yeah, yeah, Like, how could that be legal?
Speaker 3: Because I actually do know the answer to good Because just like anything which is in your trash can out on the street, you don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy for that which has been discarded. So if it's been discarded now, I don't know if they can just you know, take a glass off your desk just because they came in to talk to you and try to take your DNA.
Speaker 2: But stranger things have happened.
Speaker 5: Really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a cynical person, so I just believe the worst of people.
Speaker 4: I'm to the Club of twenty four. If you remember that series, you know, trust no one. I really don't trust because it's too easy to break the rules.
Speaker 3: Marsha Collier more great advice. Trust nobody. I don't trust Mark. I don't trust Stefan, damn sure. Don't trust Twala. No, I'm being serious, Mark, I do not trust you. You shouldn't like you, No, you shouldn't. This is perceptive on your partner. Marshall Collier. Always great to see.
Speaker 5: I'll see you next week and let's have a cheerier topic.
Speaker 3: Well, look, the world is gonna do what the world's gonna do, and the news is gonna be what.
Speaker 2: The news is. I know, no guarantees, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Okay, we'll figure out something.
Speaker 2: I'll see you soon.
Speaker 1: Oh you're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty