Speaker 1: You are listening to the IFAH podcast Network. For more amazing filmmaking and screenwriting podcasts, just go to ifagpodcastnetwork dot com.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Bulletproof Screenwriting Podcast, Episode number three eighty. I'm happy to do anything on a film set. Nick Frost broadcasting from a dark, windowless room in Hollywood when we really should be working on that next draft.
Speaker 1: It's the Bulletproof Screenwriting Podcast, showing you the craft and business of screenwriting while teaching you how to make your screenplay bulletproof.
Speaker 2: And here's your host, Alex Ferrari. Welcome, Welcome to another episode of the Bulletproof Screenwriting Podcast. I am your humble host, Alex Ferrari. Now, today's show is sponsored by Bulletproof Script Coverage. Now. Unlike other script coverage services, Bulletproof Script Coverage actually focuses on the kind of project you are and the goals of the project you are, so we actually break it down by categories micro budget, indie film, market and studio film. There's no reason to get coverage from a reader that's used to reading temp pole movies when your movie's gonna be done for one hundred thousand dollars. And we wanted to focus on that. At Bulletproof script Coverage, our readers have worked with Marvel Studios, CIA, WME, NBC, HBO, Disney, Scott Free, Warner Brothers, The Blacklist, and many many more. So if you need your screenplay or TV script covered by professional readers, head on over to covermiscreenplay dot com. Now, guys, this is one episode I wish existed when I was first starting out in the film industry. We are going to be talking about how to survive on a film set. The film set is this magical place with a lot of different languages and words and things that the normies out there would never understand, like what's a stinger, what's an apple box, what's a martini shot? And so many other things, And today's guests down and wrote a book to explain it in the most beautiful and easy way I've ever seen. Her name is Christine Chen and she is a veteran of the film set, to say the least. And this episode we talk about a lot of those words, how to act on set, what some of these words mean so you don't look like a new beyond set and even if you've been on set a ton, this episode might remind you of those few things into other departments that you might not know about and might help you not look like, oh god, this this person has no idea what they're talking about on set. It's a really, really valuable episode. So without any further ado, please enjoy my conversation with Christine Chen. I like to welcome to the show, Christine Chen. How you doing, Christine, I'm good.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for coming on the show. You know, I've done six hundred plus episodes right now at this point as of this recording, and I've ever done a kind of on set survival guide for not only PA's but specifically for pas and interns and onset interns, but also for crew members and new crew members and different departments that just don't understand the carne language that is a film set. So you guys decided to write a book called get Yeah, Listen, which, by the way, it is as simple beautifully you know, it's not like it's as you could if you guys can see, it's all pretty pictures and everything, so it's real like it's to the point, and it's as a book that I wish I would have had when I started out. I'm sure you feel.
Speaker 3: That that's why we created it. Yeah, I'm glad you pointed that out. That's exactly why we created it. So I got started in the industry in like two thousand, dude, two thousand and Jesus fifteen fourteen around then. Sure, And yeah, I remember going on my first set and somebody asking me for a stinger, and I had no clue what that was. No clue, and nobody tells you this. You just get thrown into the wolves and a film set is super high paced, and you're already stressed out that you want to make a good impression because you finally got onto a film set and someone's like, get a singer. I'm like, I don't know what the f that is, And so the only option at that point is to hopefully snag a crew member that has the time and patience to explain it to you. But then you then you have the fear of sounding just showing that you don't know what you're doing. I mean, not that you know, you going around set is not enough to show that you don't know what you're doing, but like to just add insult to that, to be that obvious that you don't even know how people talk on set is even worse.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, look, look we will know if you don't, if you're nu on set within three to four minutes of just seeing the way they exactly, if they're like, wow, this is cool, they're brand new. They still sparkles in their eyes, brand spanking. Then you've got the grizzled grip that just walks by has been doing it for twenty five years. And I'm like, there you go. That's he doesn't care about any movie stars anything. He's like, I'm here for a job. You want to push the dolliyy pushed the dolly. That's as simple as that. But No, when I first got started out, I was thrown into the wolves, and I was going to a technical film school that actually taught you some of these things. So I went to Full Sale in Orlando, where is it very technical film school at least it was when I was there, and I knew what a stinger was. But there's still this Carni language of you know, an apple box and and you know a honey wagon and crafty and all of these things that you just don't know. And you and I take it for granted, because we've been on set up a ton of times over the years. But when you're first on set, your you're nervous as hell. And the thing is anyone listening who gets on set for the first time, they just have to understand that most people, most people on the crew, depending on who you get on them, what type of the day you get, understand that you know nothing. And if you're a PA, it's expected you know nothing unless you're like the forty five year old pa. And that's another conversation. Yes, so yeah, because I've met those guys, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: Have you ever thought of going into a department?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Solid, I'm like, all right, brother, you do you? So? How did you? So? Let me ask you the first question, why did you want to get into this insanity, this carny world that is the film business?
Speaker 3: You know? I when I wake up at like four am to get on set, I asked myself that every.
Speaker 2: Time, is this Why am I doing this?
Speaker 3: My? Why? Why did we do this to ourselves? Or I'm on the you know, the fifth overnight, I'm like, why am I doing this again? And then I you know, you get through it, and then the next day. You wake up and let's say you're off. You're like, wait, why am I not on set? You know? And so it's weird. It's a very strange thing. And I tell new filmmakers this all the time. You'll know if you belong or you don't, you know, you'll go on your complain, you'll get off. Maybe maybe not one day. Maybe you give you like two or three days, and you if you feel the ish, then you just know. I was in documentary filmmaking. Actually before I went on set, I had been a one man band for a while. In undergrad you have to be a well rounded person, so they say, you know, you have to do a credit in an art class, and so I fell into filmmaking at that point. I chose an intro to documentary filmmaking course Rice University and loved it. I loved the editing part, I loved the telling the story part. Everything, and that was I mean, that was all I knew. And I thought, okay, cool, that was fun hobby. You know, it's and I'll never deal with filmmaking again. And I but I should have known that things were going to change after that, because the proportion of time that I spent on that class. The intro class was probably like seventy percent of my time and then like the rest of my ten classes was like the last ten percent maybe add like partying and all the other stuff to it. And so but my culture, I'm a first generation in Taiwanese American. You don't pursue stuff like filmmaking or art of any sort. You're a doctor, an engineer, something practical, you know that will give you a study nine to five job. And it took me doing one of those jobs that was a IT consultant. After I graduated that I realized I didn't want to do that, and I was searching for myself as to what I was going to do, and for some reason landed on being a lawyer. And so you have to take the LSATs to be able to even qualify, and to do that, there's prep courses and stuff, and I'm terrible taking tests. So I took one of those courses, and you know, the universe has a way of laughing at you. My Elsat teacher was a filmmaker and he was it was in Houston at that time, and he, I guess, had a group that was doing the forty eight hour film festival thing. He was like, hey, you want to be a PA. No clue what that was, because there's art pas and intro to documentary film at all. You are one person, you do everything yourself.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, yeah, sure, we'll be right back after a word from our sponsor and now back to the show.
Speaker 3: No clue. Show up and they get now I know what I was actually doing. I was the second AC, but it was PA. But they gave me a slate and I was the happiest person ever. I was like, oh my god, I have such an important job using a slate, writing around this thing, and that people wanted to take pictures with, you know, and and I just it clicked. It just I don't know what happened. They say there's divine intervention. Some people go on and have a light bulb moment, and I definitely would say I had a light bulb moment. I just felt like a belonged and that this crazy world was something that I really just loved. And it really just took that one set. I just I just remember being fascinated with everyone's job, which is not common for me usually, like you know, my dad's an engineering. I'll ask one sentence he tells me, like fine sentences, and I like tune out after two words. You know. But on this film set, every single job was fascinating to me. You know, I just I've never seen a follow focus before. I just you know, stared at that for a very long time. And then you know, grab water for like the grip, and I was like watching them build stuff and never seen that before, and looking at the makeup, you know, and just everything was cool. Now I looked out because the set that I got on, they actually knew what they were doing. I could have been on a ship show, but it was it was not and I forgot I'm allowed to customer.
Speaker 2: This came too late.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, okay, I mean we're talking.
Speaker 2: About we're talking about sets here. Okay, So no one ever curses on a set, so at all. As much cursing as you do on set or hurt you're on set, that's as much as you can do here. Okay, that's very bad.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, but let me.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know what, when I was on a set for the first time too, it is very intoxicating. It's an intoxication environment. If you're in a good set. I mean, I've been on both. I've been on bad sets. Oh yeah, egos going out of crazy and then just things just like you said, a shit show, like they just don't know what they're doing. They can't make their day, you know. It just they're just a bunch of monkeys running around, you know, with a camera trying to do something. So I've been on those sets. And then I've been and then when you walk on a professional set working on a studio project or network project, and you just see these grizzled veterans who work like a well oiled machine. And what's fascinating is that a lot of times you'll go on the first day and everyone's on there for the first thing. Yeah, there might be a few people who know each other, but generally speaking, everyone's new on the on that set to each other, and they still run like a well oiled machine because they all understand their part in the machine. And it only only problems I overceely on set is when people overstep their their lane. They want to do this, or the DP wants to be the director, the director wants to be the live I think the guy department, yes exactly, or or like it's all about the dress No, it's not. It's all about the it's all about the curtains in the back. No it's not, dude, we need five hours for the for the curtains. No, no, five hours for the curtains. You got five minutes. So let's move along. So, so you've been on set so many times and obviously continues to work on sets. What is the biggest, like new be mistake you see that that pas make on day one or or on set interns too. This this kind of goes for both.
Speaker 3: Sure, I think for me is people going feeling entitled. And when I say entitled, it means like I think people have a from the from the out the outside world. You see the red carpets, you see the you know, entertainment tonight, and you see the people dressed up, and I think people going in and thinking like, oh, because as I'm a director, you know, or an aspiring director, I'm going to be able to jump, you know, jump positions and just start letting my opinion matters, you know. And sure to a certain extent, But like I think people forgetting that all the people that are on set started off and worked their way up to where they are and earned the right to be there and I and I think you be a mistake is thinking that things are below them, like oh, I don't need to get water for people or take the trash. It's like that's labor that's below me, you know. And and I think, no matter how veteran you are on set, there's you will realize. I feel like it's if you are a good crew member, you will always there will never be a job that is below you at any point in your career, you know, because you understand the value that each position, each job entails, and how that affects the overall success of the film. And that's the biggest thing I see for new Starry Eyed pas is that they come in thinking, oh, I went to college and I shouldn't need to go run Errand's and pick up dog poop and all this other which that happens. And that's the problem. And the thing is that we veterans can smell that and see that instantly, you know. Yeah, I mean, like you said, within two to it's so funny now being on the other side, when you're brand new, You're like, oh, nobody can tell I'm brand new. I could just like pretend that, No, we can tell within like like you said, two to three minutes, now we can also tell within two three minutes if you're good or not. And it's attitude. It doesn't have to do with skill, because getting water is not a skill. I mean, it's not like a thing that you have to learn. Everybody can do it. But there's like an attitude that comes with it for people who are good and who are not, and you can pick it out like within you know, you probably the same way. Within five minutes, I'm like, all right, I can count on these four pas out of these twenty, you know, like it's like yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, because there's going to be the four pas who are just hustle and left and the eyes how can I be anytime you turn around, there there yea waiting waiting what.
Speaker 3: Can I do? Do you mean anything? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then the other ones are sitting around, you know, back found, Yeah you can't be found, or sitting around crafty talking about how the director's doing the job wrong and they.
Speaker 3: Can get better. Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've seen it so often and it's so and that's why I love you know, some of these some of these older grizzled veterans, the DPS, the you know, the the key grips, those departments, you know, I just throw them to the wolves.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: If I see that on set, I'll be like, hey that guy, Yeah, good, go do your thing. Go do your thing, and and they just start, and they just start because it's God, it's it's it's such a weird thing on set culture because it is it is a Carney world. And I actually made a movie about Carney, so I have a really good understanding of the Carney world and Carneys and what they do and how they treat each other. And it's the secret language that you talk, you know, that we could talk to each other. And they'll put you through the grinder until you prove yourself that you belong to Yeah, and and they're going to beat you up and and in a in a almost almost right of passage kind of way, not in a physical way, not in a hopefully not in a derogatory way, though I think I've had that happen to me on set as well. I think sets have changed a little bit, hopefully since since my day. But it's because it's so tough being on set. I mean, I mean when I worked on set as a PA, I figured out really quickly, probably after a year of interning and being on stages, and you know, I went I was working at Universal Studios, I was working at Disney behind the scenes and productions and things like that. And like you said, when i wake up at three o'clock in the morning and I'm going out there somewhere sitting in the mud while it's raining, while I'm trying to wave people into where they're parking, and I'm like, this sucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't you know what, I don't think this is what I want to do. I mean, I want to be on set, but this is not what I want to do. So I learned I just jumped from that to post real quick, and I was like, oh, no, air conditioning, carble tunnel, I'll deal with that. And I jumped for that. And then when I started to become a director and then started you know, as a post guy, started to go on set in then started to be directing and doing commercials and things like that, it's I'm like, Okay, this is where I want to be. But things that I learned along the way was that at a certain point in my career, I felt the ego felt that it was above doing some menial stuff and the crew picks it up. As a director, the crew picks it up. So now anytime I'm ever on set, and for the last ten, probably ten f plus years, I'm picking up garbage at the end of the day, I don't care, you know, I'll I'll grab stuff, I'll pick stuff up, and then other like some of the older what are you doing, sir, sir?
Speaker 3: Do you like?
Speaker 2: It's okay, guys, we all got to move it along. So it's kind of like, why are you picking that up? You're the director. I'm like, no, it's okay. If it's in the middle of the day, no, I have to do a job. But at the end of the day we've wrapped. Let me help out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me help out.
Speaker 2: And I never eat first. I always try to let I always try to let the crew go before me. We'll be right back after a word from our sponsor, and now back to the show. So they see that, I'm like, no, you guys are busting your ball, you know, go I want to help. But these are the little things, and no one tells you as a as a filmmaker or as a crew person, there's these etiquettes these kind of hidden languages. It's almost prison yard.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, totally, yeah, I mean I often say, oh, we're like just glorified movers and one thing from one side to the other side and we do it again. Yeah. No, it's just it's there's nothing super sure, you know, after the product is all done and stuff like that, and you don't care about the journey. Yeah, sure it could be a can be. Be it glamorous, but like it really isn't you.
Speaker 2: Know, And it is for some I mean it is for the actors, I mean the actor and sometimes it's not even that glamorous for the actors because it looks glamorous from the outside, but when they're they're on a on the fourteenth hour, freezing on a green stream hung by cables. Yeah, and they're just like, I got be super now, Like what am I doing here? Like it's like it's it's it's it's there's harder there's harder work in the world. Sure, yes, very we're blessed. We're very blessed, there's no question, but it is still not what everyone expects it to be. So it's really fascinating that way. Now. The one thing I always love and I love. What you wrote about in your book was walkie talkie etiquette? Now, I I I think when I was coming up there, Yeah, of course there was walkie talkies and I knew a little bit of it because I used to work on some some shows for Nickelodeon. So I was never the keypa. I was. I was always you know, office PA, or or on set PA. But I was in the kep a because again, not where I wanted to go, So I never went out that road. But can you talk a little bit about that is a completely secret language, And even to this day, I understand some of it, but as a director, it's not something you understand completely. So can you express and explain to people what walkie talkie advoctate is?
Speaker 3: Sure, so that's a big thing. When you first go on you're not going to see it for a tiny, tiny sis because most sets won't be able to afford walkie talkie. So when you do first get on a set that has walkie talkies, it can be very jarring and you're like, what is this thing? At first it's cool, and then at the end of the day you're like, please throw this in the trash because you have this person you have several people constantly talking in your head, and for people who don't know, the walkie talkies are a way for things to be moving behind the scenes while set things are being shot, and you do it very quietly because everybody has an ear piece in the ear and they can't hear. You know, it's not open WALKI hopefully, and you can't hear things are happening because it's all this in your head over the walkie and so there's just a specific way that you answer respond and it's very military. Honestly, I've heard it is it's I believe that's where it really came from. But a lot of it is. The way I can describe it is like if you were blind, Like, how would you know somebody heard your message, understood your message, and is working on your message right because and you're delivering this to you know, however big your crew is, because everybody is on the walkie, you know, and certain departments on their own channels and whatever. Most for the most part, people are on channel one for production, and so you just have to get really good at being specific and to keep the traffic on the walkie talkie as minimal as possible as well, so being specific concise, and so you're just it's a way of efficient communication and these shorthand ways of talking. This etiquette for this efficiency of talking on the radio. So uh, And it's hard. It's a lot harder said than done, because there will be something that happens, you know, I don't know, the honeywagon is stuck, you know, and in the middle of the set or something, and you've got a new PA who's like freaking out about it because it's his or her responsibility to get this honey wagon out of the middle of the scene, and everybody's yelling at them because it's, you know, taking out precious time from shooting, and they're describing this over the walkie and nobody and somebody who is nowhere near this set is like, what the f is going on? You know, and you're just like take it to too, take it to two, you know, put go, go on a different channel. But like you just don't until you've gone through the ringer and you've experienced that or you've you've been on the receiving end to have perspective. That's me you realize why this etiquette is so important. But it's things like when you have when you're asking for a department for something, you know, wardrobe, can you insert what you need Christine for, you know, and then the other receiving end having to say like copy so they know that I heard the message, you know type thing. It's just it's like playing telephone because you can't see anybody. That's the problem, you know. Sometimes you we're all in different parts of the set. I think that's the that's to give context. We are all in different parts of the set that they This could be within driving distance, far away, this could be deep in the boonies. And because let's say you're doing a big wide shot and you can't see people on set in the scene, so they're all hiding like far far away, or somebody who's in a truck who who has no clue is inefficible, has no clue what's going on, and said, you have to communicate to all of these people in an efficient way something important or not, you know. So so there's just a lot of shorthand for that, and it is extremely jarring when you have never had a walkie talkie and you get on set and you just want to like, I don't know, just talk on it like a regular person, you know, but like a telephone but it's not. Yeah, so uh so yeah, I have specific you know, lingo that's on there. And as long as you can you know, kind of get used to that, you should be able to survive being on walking by.
Speaker 2: Oh this is like practice and you're like, yeah, exactly, and it's a it's a new language and it's a protocols and how you do things, and you learn pretty quick.
Speaker 3: That's the thing is, Oh yeah, you learn real quick.
Speaker 2: You learn the real quick unless you just want to get yelled a constantly like uh you know. So you know, we're like, where's where's the act? Where's actor? Where's actor?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, talent, where.
Speaker 2: Is walking walking? We're walking walking with actor two on our way minute away, minute away.
Speaker 3: E t A E T A of talent.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, things like that. So it's it's talent will come out of his dressing room.
Speaker 3: And everybody switches the two and.
Speaker 2: Everyone's like, what's going on, Like it's yes, yeah, it's a problem. So now one thing I I've been asked this myself and I don't have an answer for it. Maybe you have an answer for There is so many secret names, code names for basic things on set. Stinger is an extension call baby a baby, yeah, baby, cheese, play rick, all of these things. Why not just say I need it, I need an extension court Now I know that's too. It's a little longer, stingers faster. Yeah, why these things were And then.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I think it just I think it's just a fast way to decipher something without having to because the thing is, there's like different sizes of certain pieces of equipment, there are different brands of certain pieces of equipment and stuff like that. And sometimes if you just give it, like a pet name, that pet name is so different from everything else, it's just easy to identify it. You know. It's so like I heard, and it changes all the time by region, by location, and that's the same thing. But yeah, like I heard taco cart. You know that was another thing. Oh you can grab the taco cart. But I think that's the Texas thing. You know.
Speaker 2: There is there, yeah, there is they Look, there's all all sorts of new ones. I heard the other day. Uh God, I hope they don't bring in spinning wheels of death for lunch. Have you heard of a spinning wheel of I haven't heard spinning wheel, pizza pizza.
Speaker 3: So opning wheels of death.
Speaker 2: The old DP is like, God, I hope they'll bring in spinning wheels of death, of lunch Jesus Christ. I'm like, I'm like, it's the spinning wheel of death that they're like, oh, it's it's this, and and uh and and there's one. It's a mean one because he's now passed, because it's actor passed, and they and I just remember I was on set. No, no, it wasn't. I wasn't the Garret Coleman. It was a Mickey Rooney. Oh you know what, you know what a Mickey Rooney is? Yes, give me just a little creep. Uh. They know it's mean, but these are the things you're just like, wow, man, like, how look I heard like give me a Mickey Rooney there and then the grip the key grips pushing the dollar and and the dps like, give me a Mickey Rooney. I'm like, I'm sorry, what's a Mickey Rooney is like a little creep. We'll be right back after a word from our sponsor and now back to the show. I'm like, wow, okay, so it's just this Carney prisonly military that is brutal.
Speaker 3: Sometimes extremely brutal, or a man maker. I heard that one.
Speaker 2: Oh I haven't heard a man maker.
Speaker 3: Oh we have to have an apple box and someone's stand on it.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, it's so wrong. I've heard that as a tom cruise as well, give me a top cruise off which you just give him a little extra height.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's brutal, it's brutal. It's look, it's not for the faint of heart being.
Speaker 3: On that's it's very not pacy.
Speaker 2: No, it isn't. And that was one thing when I was when I was on set and my wife, who's out of the business completely, she doesn't know anything about it business. She would walk on set while I was directing. She's like, how how is this? How is that loud? How is everyone not being sued left and right for what's happening being said? And this is all before me too, before all that stuff, And I would just say, I just said, like, it's just kind of you know, it was the culture. It was the culture, and it is look, you know, to be honest, it is sometimes a toxic culture. There's no question on set a toxic culture. And for females even worse, there's no question. Like I mean, I remember I was on I was on a production I was directing, and I saw a female grip for the first time ever, and she was wonderful by the way she busted her ass and she was great. And I'm like, what does she have to put up with from the grip department to hang with the grips? YEA nine in two thousand and one? Can you want me? Do you know what I'm saying? Tough? So it's but it's it's it is. You know, there's a lot of male testosterone running on set generally much. Yes, it has changed a bit, and I think it is changing for the better. Yes, But you know, I've talked to female dps. I hadn't seen I honestly didn't see a female DP until maybe like eight nine years ago. Like on set, it was just not a thing that you saw very often. But now it's becoming more prevalent, and females are becoming you know, and people of color and all this stuff are all coming on set, which is great, but it can be a toxic environment and you, as a as a young PA or young intern coming in, have to be aware of that. But understand that there is there's a little you got to get a little bit of a thick skin. Yeah, in our business, would you agree.
Speaker 3: Yes, I I completely agree. I especially when you move off the ranks to when you typically get to bigger budgets and stuff, they are run by more older film veterans and they have there's kind of stuck in the past, and so you're dealing with it more and more. So then, like if you're on a student project, everybody is like woke and stuff, you know. But yeah, so so you're you're dealing with that a lot, and and it's it can be extremely frustrating. But you also have to realize that in order for change to happen, you have to educate. So it's a lot of taking that. It is harder to take the time to teach. It's easier to keep the same doing the same thing, or yell at somebody or or or whatever. But it's harder to stop someone and say you shouldn't say that, or like I don't like you know, that's not right to do. So it's it's it's a slow changing process, but it is. It is changing, and it's unfortunately a lot of this is top down you know, and and until there's enough time of cycling to get new people up to the top to trickle down with new ways of thinking and stuff like that, you're going to run into that kind of thinking. You know. It's just it's it's it's not I wouldn't say it's right. It's just a it's a product of the environment in the time period, you know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, for sure, without question. And there's also another thing that is a culture that happens on set, especially if it's it depends on who's running the set as far as either first a d director DPS as well, but there's you know, it can be stressful.
Speaker 3: It's extremely stressful.
Speaker 2: The set can be a little stressful. And every once in a while you'll get a veteran who's just really comfortable with themselves who will play practical jokes on SETU to kind of release the tension. And my favorite is my deep a friend, a good friend of my DP, old veteran guy. He would always have a broken lens in his kit and first a SEE or second a C would come up and he would just throw throw it at him and it was like a zeiss, you know, like oh my god, and throw it at him. Ok here, put this on the camera and throw it right at him in front of everybody, and oh my god, and you just see this guy's face just white, just drained, like the blood drein and hot, and he falls and it cracks. And then he would play it up. He's like, how could you drop? You've cracked my lens. That's a fifty thousand dollars lens.
Speaker 1: Whatdy?
Speaker 2: And everyone's just trying to hold it in. And before the kid has an absolute heart attack, they let him. They let him go. So it's almost like a coming of age kind of like almost mafia esque, like I come over here. It's an initiation, like you're good now, kid, come on in. He used to also have an old This is when we used to shoot film of film reel with exposed film.
Speaker 3: Oh no, he could throw the.
Speaker 2: Reel at the kid and the film would call over the place and they would just like, oh my god, that was today's daily. He said, like, oh that. People would just these little things in this apartments. Sometimes you'll see that, yeah, in the in front of the whole step. But with in departments there's like little not say hazing, but just fun, you know, things.
Speaker 3: To concl jokes. Yeah, I thought you were gonna say tea stop. That's a poss uh where they send the second AC to go find tea stops. Yeah, I've had I've seen that happen in the second ACA, like looking the entire day for tea stops and can't find it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been looking for t stops. I've called everywhere. No one has stops stop. So I had once. I had once. I was when I was in school. Uh, some old Grizzly Post online editor like you know, TV guy and some some producer. She came in like a just a battle ram and was busting's everyone's just being a complete ass. And I was there as an intern watching this and and the editor goes, oh god, and she was god of footage from the day before, Like, oh God, what happened. She's like, what happened? What happened? She's like, you know, if they would have done double double drop frame, it would have been better. So it would have just really started up the image quality of so you need double double drop frame timecode. And she's like okay. So she went on the next day to set and she just ripped every Why aren't we shooting double double. I want my image to be. She was like, and everyone was just like, did you talk to Henry? Because everyone knew everyone knew Henry did it? Because they're all like, yeah, She's like, Henry got in trouble, but he didn't care. He had job security. But these are the kind of things that you know, they're so high strung pas and interns sometimes that you got to kind of loosen them up a little bit because it's just like and also, by the way, when you're that high strung, that's when accidents happen, and that's when mistakes happen, and you got to loose them up, loosen them up just a bit, just just a little bit. Now you've been on set a while, Now, what was the worst day on set for you? And how did you overcome it?
Speaker 3: I would say one of the worst days was this happened not too long ago, about two years ago. I think two years when was snowvid in Austin, Texas, un the snow apocalypse that happened ice I've only been hearing, Okay, I think this was two years ago and Austin had a freak snowstorm. Uh and this was I mean, I think this.
Speaker 2: Was it would be January. It'd be January February.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was what it was. It was January, yeah, February, and the producers were refusing to shut down the set because because where we were currently there was no snowstorm, yet there was talk of it, and everywhere else in Texas there were pile ups and ice and everything.
Speaker 2: You mean the one where they froze everything froze out, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. The power grid went down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, power grid went down and stuff like that was a couple of years ago. Yeah, yeah, and then it we were in the middle of it and it hit, and I just remembered it was both the worst, but also there's elements of it that like were great too. At that point, the I think the crew knew that, like it was beyond my control, even though I tried to call it several times, but you know, ultimately is the producer's call. Still, and every crew member gave me an article of clothing because we were outside and it was really really cold and uh there was snow and it was blizzarding and everything, and like we didn't have enough people. We were moving trucks and it was icy and everything, and luckily it got called late.
Speaker 2: Or will be right back after a word from our sponsor and now back to the show.
Speaker 3: By the producers. But it was a constant like just communicating with the crew and being like, hey, I'm sorry, I want to call it. This is the situation like they hopefully will call it you know soon type thing, and just I think it sucked because I just felt powerless in that situation to ensure the safety, you know, of my crew and and and the way I dealt with it was just constantly talking to the crew, giving them like a play by play of what's going on from top down. I kind of did a little hint hint like if you want to leave, I am not going to stop you type thing, you know, but I your safety is portant. I think it's important, and you know, please do what you think is the most important type thing. But I am under this is what's happening from top down type thing. And to be put in that situation really sucked because it's people safety and when you have no power, I have no power to ensure I can say I walk, you know, but like that also is not good for the crew either, you know. I'm then they don't have the one person that's vouching for them, you know.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 3: So it was a lot of like, hey, this is what's going on. This is the play by play. If you were to walk, I'm not going to stop you from it, and I support it type thing and and hopefully they're going to call it. They eventually did call it, but it But I think despite that really shitty moment feeling, you know, having the crew each I tell you, each department gave me an article clothing so that I wouldn't like freeze death. But like somebody gave me a hat. Someone gave me, you know, a jacket, a jacket that was happened to be in their car. Someone gat I looked like this big ass like marshmallow, with like fifty layers of clothing because we were outside and the snow was blowing at us and we were not prepared. We were not none of us. Yeah, none of us were prepared. And then then to have later on the director who doesn't understand you know that we were doing our best to to to make it happen like essentially blame you for a snowstorm and that everything was a chit show. But to then to have crew be like to stand behind you and say, yeah, it is a shit show because nobody that should have been called, you know, was like nice to have that support, but like that, it's just that was a terrible situation to be And when when when people's safety isn't being taken into concern and your whole job as an ad is to ensure the livelihood and safety of your crew and you're powerless to do so. I think that that is a terrible, terrible place to be in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that is. That's not a good place, which actually leads me into my next question. Are there signs that interns, young interns and PA's and other crew members can actually see when a production is going down quickly? You could say like this this thing You're like, hey, today's not hey whoa whoa whoa whoa. Uh, We're going to work eighteen hours today and I get paid?
Speaker 3: Like what are those signs signs?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well there's little things that you just can start you and I could smell the pretty Yeah, morale is.
Speaker 3: A big indicator in my opinion. Sure, there's some people who are crankier than other people in tolerance is lower, but I think when you start to have when departments start to talk amongst each other and yeah, and you can feel an overall dissatisfaction, that's usually a problem. Or I feel like if the calture keeps changing a lot, that's usually not a good indicator either. When there are when there's a lot of unnecessary people just yeah, that's also just moral. When people are angry and just you known to each other. Yeah, I think those are pretty big indicators as well. Or when you have locations or people who are separate from the production show up randomly and they're not happy, that's usually not a good indicator either, because that means something wasn't cleared somehow and things are about to go crazy.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you this. So because the director obviously is should be the leader of the ship, the leader of the captain of the ship. We're moving things forward, everybody moves around. What the director is he or she's ideas of what going going on? Yes, in theory, in theory, in theory, very very much in theory. Uh, that's that's very loose flair fluid. They're fluid, if you will, But generally speaking in a perf when you're on a Ridley Scott set, Yes, Ridley runs the show. Let's just throw that out there, as simple as that. All Right, So when you have that situation, what are signs that you don't have a good leader on the set. What are things that you've seen, because I'm assuming you've seen one or two bad directors in your day, you have not only hurt the production but taken out, you know, just not understand how the system works that they have to make their day. Yeah, we can't spend five hours in the Scorsese shot because we're not Scorsese and we don't have the budget that we have, so we had like how all these kind of things I'm imagining. You know, as AD, you've seen directors come up with shot lists, which is, by the way, my favorite thing to do with When I work with AD for the first time, show up day one, one hundred and fifty shots, one hundred and fifty shots, and I just hand it to them and they're just like, no, no, no, that you should just see what because it depends. Then that also tells me what kind of AD it is. If the AD is going to come up to me and go, we got to talk about this man, there's just no f and way we're gonna And I'm like that's good, or you know we're gonna give it a shot. I'm like, okay, I know which way, which kind of a D and I want the first one. I want the one that says there's no f and way we're gonna do this, but let's figure it out and let's figure it out what And I go, don't I always do that? Let's see how fast we can move. I know I'll probably only end up fifteen or twenty of those shots. Yeah, And then once I say that, they're like, okay'se not nuts. But I'm assuming you've had that shot list or that storyboard. So how do you how do you see? What are those things about? What are the signs in a director that you can see that they just not they're in over their head.
Speaker 3: Ah. I think when the crew starts to lose respect for the director, and how I see it is when it goes from let's see what the director wants to what do you want? And I'm like, wait, wait, wait, I'm not the director, I'm the ad. When they start to look at for a new leader, that's a problem. So which happens a lot, and.
Speaker 2: It could be the first idea or the DP. Those are the generally the two that they go.
Speaker 3: Too, Yeah, exactly. And so once I'm Mike, why are the numbers of questions directed at me have increased signific That's when I'm like, ah, okay, or they start questioning why a lot instead of being like Okay, that's what they want, let's do this, or like or the eye roll like oh they want this, okay, you know type thing. That's yeah, the side conversations whatever gets talked on on channel two, uh W. When you you can really quickly pick out when people have stopped. It's or when people are trying to leave as soon as possible after a set has wrapped or hasn't wrapped, or they're planning on which bar to go to afterwards and that is the only thing keeping them from walking off of the set. That's when you realize that the director has lost the crew. But yeah, it's I think it's when concerns that are being bypassed because I'm the director and not even considered get bypassed a certain number of times. That's when you really lose the crew as well. You know, like, hey, we can't do this because and then like whatever, like I'm the director, make it happen. You know type thing that's if you do this so many times, like you're going to lose the crew because that is a quick indicator that you have no understanding of why their job is important or why their job takes a certain amount of time, and why you're glossing over it. You know. I see this happen a lot with specific positions. Positions for it is that usually are like makeup is a big one, art things like that.
Speaker 2: Will be right back after a word from our sponsor and now back to the show.
Speaker 3: It doesn't happen as much with camera or even sound, because I think it's that's when people, especially first time directors, when they go on to direct, there's a very easy understanding of like, hey, if we don't have the right camera setup, you're not going to get your shot right. But the other positions are harder to understand the importance of unless you have done a few films or or you've worked on a set enough to understand the importance of. And I think that's the issue is that new directors who haven't come up the ranks or worked in a position. It's perspective, and when you lack perspective and don't respect all the positions on set. You will lose your crew, and you will lose your crew and they will start to look for a new leader in that leader is usually the DP or the AD so and so when I start to get hey, what do you think we should do about this?
Speaker 2: Or actor?
Speaker 3: Oh man, if talent is coming to you, that's a bad thing. Yeah, yeah, that is very bad. Like crew okay, because usually the AD has interfaced with the crew so that you know, there's a certain extent that that's understandable. But I think when the talent no longer goes to the director and goes to you, the AD, that is a big and dictator that things are going downhill fast. Yeah, because the talent should never really need to talk to the AD. The whole job of a director is to help talk to the talent. So at the talent. So I revised put that first. When the talent is talking to the AD hoc or the DP, talking to any other crew member about their performance or what they're supposed to do, that and it's not the director jump ships run.
Speaker 2: Another thing is too that I think filmmakers listening don't understand is the importance of feeding the crew and feeding them well and taking care of them and having surprise, you know, in between meals, like hey, you know, guys, we didn't we didn't we didn't budget for a full dinner, but we're going to do a walking dinner, you know, or something like that, where you know, they go out and get some burritos or something to kind of hold them over until they can get to the bar. Yeah, it's something, but that's something that it's almost a second thought to young filmmakers, so like, oh, yeah, I just get a bunch of pizzas and like that. Pizzas kill production. It slows everything down. Spinning, it slows it down everyone. It's stuffed on cheese and bread and things like that. I remember an old you remember Dove Simmons. He ran a course called the Two Day Film School, and he was like this just Roger Korman upm and oh my god, the stories he would say. And he's like, I don't have a lot of sugary stuff on my crafty table because it will cause sugar rushes. And if it caused sugar rushes, if there's tension, fights will break out. These are little things that you're just like I was. My mind got blown when I heard these things coming up. I was like, wow, I just never thought about it. He goes in, God forbid if you bring pizza onto a set, God damn, Like like, yeah, am I wrong.
Speaker 3: No, you're not. And if you're been on set a while and you're really good at your job, you can start These are the details you notice that you planned for. Like I I can tell like from line I'm like, Okay, we had this, Therefore I need to build an extra an hour before we're going to start getting how we're going to start moving, Like I like, these are the little details where you're like, oh, we ate that, Okay, well the bathroom, the situation is going to be a whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's just like burritos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you start noticing all these little details.
Speaker 2: I had a friend of mine on a He was on the set of twenty four. He was a production designer in twenty four and I went on just to visit him and we were working on a project together, and I just went on to visit the set. And when you walk on set, I just saw crafty. Was the most insane crafty I've ever seen in my life. And then I stayed for lunch and there's Lobster Tale and Stay, and I'm like, what is what is this? Like? I lived in the indie world, and I was like, because at that level, you've got to that's just that's just the way businesses run.
Speaker 3: But it's nuts, though, it seems when you first get on it's nuts. Yeah. I remember the first Unions that I got on. It was in Texas twenty sixteen, and I had only done indies before that, and I yeah, you look at the craft services table and you're like, Wow, this is the entire budget of my film right here, sitting here as Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can you imagine a Marvel set? I can only imagine a Marvel set, like a two hundred million dollar movie I haven't been on a two hundred million dollar movie set, not either, you know, just can you imagine the amount of test ah? You know, it's it's insane. I can't even I can't even imagine. Now there's one thing that and this is one thing that you can get really in trouble for as a PA and an intern, and it's something that no one talks to you about. Eye line, oh sitting eye. If Christian Bale's situation with Shane Olbert, thought does anything and I don't think that conversation was so much about the eye line. I think it was other things going on. And then and by the way, if you guys don't know what I'm talking about, just google Christian Bale on set. It's genius, especially the remixes. But and by the way, Christian Bale had been on set since he was like seven yea or five, so he's been it's not like he's new to his set. Can you explain to everybody what an eye line is and how to avoid getting yelled at by talent, which is the worst thing other than being yelled at by the director or any of the other crew members, Like, if you're being yelled at by talent.
Speaker 3: It's back the super public.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much almost gone guarantee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So an eyeline is like whenever an actor is acting, there's a specific area where no matter if you're standing in that spot eye line, it's hard for the actor to not to they will definitely see you. And that's extremely distracting. So we are always trying to crew andever and it's if you've don't enough, if you just know to you know, stand in us for the usually where the video villages or something like that, or in the shadows, because if you think about it, if you're trying to if you've ever tried to focus on anything, and you're trying to be in a difficult emotional spot and you can't because a fly is flying around you. That's what it feels like when somebody is standing in someone's eyeline, and so it's kind of a it's a frame a vision where you will see that person. If you're in that frame a vision, that's the eye line, and so you're mate and you will accidentally send the eyeline and that's when you'll see people look at their look at the ground, be a tree, you know, like try to not move around so that you're not being a distraction to the performance. And it's very easy to do. And the you know, the best way to do it is in general, wherever the camera is and where the action is being directed. If you're kind of in that besides the director and the DP and stuff like that, you try to stay away from that area. And and courtesy of asking somebody you know, the talent a it's or is this good spot or whatever. But if you can see the actor and you can make eye contact with that actor, you are in their eyeline. Move move, yeah, So if you if they're that's the best way. If you can watch the scene and you realize, oh shit, the actor steering directly at me, you are in their eyeline. If you can make eye contact with anybody who's acting that is within their eyeline.
Speaker 2: So and then also the other part that kind of tag on to that is being in the shot. How many times have you seen the first day PA or intern has no clue about anything on a set and they're just literally sitting in the back in the middle of the shot when the director yells action and you can just see them like this, like, I got a good I got a good seat for this shot. Yeah, because you're in it and like, and you hear the DP or camera or the director or the first d D shot, who get that guy out of this shot? Like, and you just like and you just start freaking out. Oh god, I've seen that happen too many times, even if I see it on my set before we got just can you get that guy out of the shot please. If I'm in a great mood, if I'm not in a b if if it's a rough day, I'm going to get out of my shot. Yes, So please just be aware of your surroundings.
Speaker 3: Aware of your surroundings. Yes.
Speaker 2: And also that's a day that's a safety thing because some crazy stuff could be happening, the stunts could be going on. We'll be right back after for a word from our sponsor, and now back to the show. A crane could be coming down. Please be aware of your surroundings and what's going on on set. And I know that's the job of a first a d to kind of let everybody, especially if there's a weapon on set or there's a stunt going on on set, you know, But I.
Speaker 3: Think you bring up a good point. I think the thing is that a film is a collaborative thing and it's up to everyone to kind of do their part and be hyper aware. So with like safety, anything with safety, I always tell everyone on set, like, hey, I won't be mad at you if you double check my triple check whatever I'm talking about when it comes to safety. If the crew comes up and it's like, hey, could we do the gun safety again, could you shout out again that the street is locked or that the street is live or something like that, I'm not going to sure under stressful situations, I might like appear stressed about it, but like I would rather somebody triple double check my work when it comes to anything that has to do with safety. And yeah, no, but I think collectively as a group, that's the only way for everybody to stay safe. Is that if we kind of like a check and balance system. You know, there is a hierarchy, but people make mistakes, especially we throw them under that much stress and limited time and limited resources and stuff like that. I think it's up to the entire team to look out for each other. So so everybody should be as hyper aware as possible, but it is so easy to become my opic, especially with what you're focused on in doing and so yeah, no, it's I just think any any and this has nothing to do with the hierarchy. I think anybody should be looking out for their fellow man woman set, you know.
Speaker 2: No question, and it has to be brought. Yeah, there's you know, obviously there's you know some some tragedies have happened in recent years about about on set safety and issues that that are horrible and it happens, you know, stunts go wrong, things happen. I think it's really about safety and trying to like you say, everybody's responsibility to say if see something, say something.
Speaker 3: Say something, yeah, say something, say anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's it can be hard to to in any group setting. Group think is a thing. So it'd be like, oh, well, somebody else will bring this up or some you know, but I don't think you should. Nobody should ever assume that you know type thing. So it's better to like be annoying and have five people bring it up. Then like nobody bring up and then something happens.
Speaker 2: You know, agreed one hundred percent. Now I think it's appropriate to start wrapping up our conversation with what is an abby singer and a Martini shot? Because it's again Carney language. Nobody understands anybody, any normy. He's out there with like what the heck an abby singer and market? So can we take what an abby singer is and what a Martini shot is for everybody?
Speaker 3: So an Abby singer is the second to last setup of the day, and people are usually very excited because it's indicator that we will almost go home. Sometimes it can be you know, uh, misnomer because sure, maybe that second last setup takes forever and you might do like ten takes of it, but it is just a nice morale booster knowing that this is the second to last shot. And the reason why it's called Abby Singers. Abby Singer is actually a a d I believe, and he was famous for saying, all right, that was great, but then you would say, but let's do it again type thing, so and one more, Let's do one more and so they coined the term Abby Singer after him because at any time it felt like they're about to finish, another thing was added right before it, so it was one more before Abby Singer and the Martini. Uh, depending on where you are. Some people in Texas have tried to make it the Margarita or the Texas Martini or whatever. But it's the last setup of the day, the Martini, and it's important in it's when you've been on say you hear it called out. Uh. I'm always trying to anticipate the Abby Singer and the Martini because these are indicators of letting departments know they can start to slowly wrap up stuff. Because you know, anytime you've been anywhere, you kind of like move in and you spread out and you you're things get bigger and bigger and bigger. Spread out in space and having some extra time to slowly pack up your stuff and really make the exit of off the set that much faster and more efficient. So I'm always in veteran crew members will get annoyed if you don't call them because call the Abby Singer or the Martini because they're like, I could have been, you know, wrapping stuff, and now I have to after wrap spend an extra thirty minutes I could have been doing in between setups, you know.
Speaker 2: Having my team. I'm having my team wrap up things that are that that other setup break out the setups right right right, I suppose everyone's sitting around waiting for it, just in case. Now I'm gonna ask a few questions, ask all of my guests, what advice would you give a filmmaker trying to break into the business today.
Speaker 3: So I think the device would be to always think about what value you can give somebody before you ask for value from somebody else. So in any space and time, I think if as long as you can be invaluable to somebody helping them on their set when you're first starting off donating your time, that type of thing that pays off. It may not pay off immediately, but you never know five years from now that pa that you were nice to, that you helped out, could be that could be your ticket to another job. And that's not why you do that, you know, so don't mistake and oh, let's be nice to people so that you know five years to be off. Yeah. No, I think that's just a principle in life. It's just like people will always know after a set is done and it's crazy and you've all gone through war together, people will always remember how you made them feel. And if you can leave a lasting impression of hey, when I dealt with this one person, they always made my day better or help was helpful or something, you will do great going downline. So that's that would if you want to break in, I as a veteran, I will hire people who make my life easier or just an easier doesn't need necessarily mean a skill set easier. Can just be like, hey, you made sure I had water the whole day, and I you know you made sure that I didn't I knew where my keys were the whole day. That you know, if I will hire that person over somebody who's had five or ten years of experience, that you know doesn't who gives me an attitude or whatever, And that's the quickest way to get roped in it. Get to be in with with people is if you if I can feel like I can you have my back right no matter what? And so yeah, long story is if you can approach everybody as a how can I make your life easier? How can I just brighten up your day a little bit? I think you'll do just fine.
Speaker 2: So what is the lesson that took you the longest to learn, whether in the film business or in life.
Speaker 3: Oh ah, the lesson that took me the longest learn ah that it's okay to walk away. I think this is and I still struggle with this. I think you'll get to a point when you love your career so much, and you love your job so much, you will want to give everything to it one hundred to a detriment to yourself. And you have to realize that if you aren't taking care of yourself, you're going to be useless to everybody. So that means burning out. That means giving more time and over committing and stuff like that, or doing projects with people who don't respect you as a person or as for your time or your safety or your well being, and it is okay to set boundaries by walking away and to know that your career is not going to go down the waste. You know, it's not going to be over just because you wouldn't stand for the way you were being treated a certain way on set, and you decide to leave. And this is very, very very hard to do because when you're on set, especially if you're a position like being an ad or whatever, you're responsible for many people. It's not just yourself, and so when you leave, it feels like you are letting down.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after a word from our sponsor and now back to the show.
Speaker 3: Not just yourself but everybody else that depends on you. But in the end, much though we love our job and hopefully it is your passion, it is a job and your safety, livelihood and your peace of mind and mental health is not worth sticking out just a bit more, you know, because that could have long lasting effects, you know, for your ability to work later. So that's I still I still struggle with this, you know, just walking away and being okay to walk away or it's it's hard because you in this industry, it will feel like whatever opportunity that you have is the only opportunity you'll, oh, you'll ever get in career. It will feel that way, right, and you know there will be months where you may not work, you know, and stuff, And in that moment, maybe turning down a one hundred dollars per day, eighteen hour job seems stupid because that's one hundred dollars. But but you're also setting an expectation, right, So the hope is by standing up for not doing that, you are enabling other people to also have the power to stand up for that, so that it sets a standard that that is not how the film industry should operate. You know. It's kind of like the whole me too thing too. It's like, that's for me. If anybody is disrespectful in that way to any of my crew members, I will walk no matter what, because I am standing up for something and and say setting the precedent that this is not okay and ers. And I think it gets hard because you'll be on some incredible opportunities and stuff like that, and you have to make that decision of is it worth this opportunity or is this going to actually be damaging you know, in the future or or or dangerous or whatnot, you know. So I think that's the that's the heart, is walking away. Nobody wants to walk away.
Speaker 2: Especially at the beginning, especially at the beginning, you know. And I had to do it so many times and with my post, I like literally just turned away, you know, one of the biggest music video companies in LA And I was like, I can't work with you anymore. You're just too abusive. And at a certain point you just have to say I'm just going to roll the dice and and generally works out. Yeah, it's not you will work again. I mean it's it's not like you won't. And and if anyone never says you'll never work in this town again, that's a guarantee. Will there's nobody that means they're so full of themselves. Yeah, it's if it starts off with do you know who I am? And then goes into.
Speaker 3: I'm the director.
Speaker 2: I'm the director, and I'll make sure you never work in this town again. Don't be scared. That's bullshit. That doesn't happen. I've never heard of it happening. Ever, anyone getting blacklisted, I'm sure it does happen. I've just never seen it or heard about it, and especially if you haven't done anything wrong, people realize that. And you know, no one has that much juice, not in today's world. Maybe in the olden days when there was like, you know, fifteen productions going on in the entire country at one time, you know, but now there's just too much work. And yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 3: Don't compromise your integrity and compromise things like that. I think that's the hardest thing is man walking away so hard it's like a bad relationship. You know, it's not working to break away, but I don't want to break up with you, because.
Speaker 2: That's a whole other conversation with a whole other podcast. And last question, three of your favorite films of all time?
Speaker 3: H three of my favorite. I mean, it's funny this question makes me laugh because all my stuff is not very sophisticated. Uh well, I love, uh love, actually fantastic film.
Speaker 2: Second best Christmas movie of all time behind Dieheard. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I would argue because then there's the debate of whether Diehard is a Christmas movie.
Speaker 2: No, it isn't. We had an episode I had someone, I had a researcher come on it has been proven by the numbers that Hard is a Christmas movie, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is. I love that movie. I love a Forrest Gump so epic. It is epic, epic, epic film. And then I can watch Shashank Redemption at any time, any point, anywhere, if it pops up, I will just by myself fixated on it and just watch.
Speaker 2: Stop talking dirty to me. That's that's that's my number one Shashank. Everybody, everyone, I know, everybody listening just said, oh gosh, Sashank is my number one. Yes it is, you know, I just absolutely adore that film. And it has so many layers, and it's so deep, and it just cuts through so much of the BS and yeah, it just it's so it's almost as perfect of a film in my opinion as it is.
Speaker 3: And I'll keep watching being like, why is it so perfect? And then I'll start watching and then get lost in it and then forget that I was watching it to try to learn like something from it. I do that a lot with good movies.
Speaker 2: And and another one that was the one that he did that Frank Darabont did right afterwards, which is Green Mile, is another one of those that just yeah, it's it just hits just right spot. It hits right spot. Now where can people pick up your book? Get red?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: So right now.
Speaker 3: Get realisms dot com is a spot. We haven't branched out yet to Amazon. That's a business decision, but yeah, get realisms dot com online. I think we also have a Etsy store. So if you just google get Realisms and make sure the real is our E E L you should, you'll be able to find it. Eventually, maybe in a year or so, we'll be on Amazon stuff. But for now it's a boutique. And uh, it will be fun if you ever go into a rental house and Austin or I think there's a few now in Los Angeles and stuff like that. You see it, take a photo. It's always fun for me. But yeah, we're but yeah, get realisms dot com is the best way to go about getting it.
Speaker 2: Christine, thank you so much for coming on the show and for writing this book. And I wish again I had this when I was coming up, and it is invaluable for anybody being on set. Is a it's a serve guide on how to survive on set, just understanding It's like the it's like the Resetta stone. Yes, it's the resetta stone of film talk on set and how to understand it and everything. So I appreciate you, my dear, Thank you again for all the hard work.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: I want to thank Christine so much for coming on the show and dropping her knowledge bombs on the tribe. If you want to get links to anything we spoke about in this episode, including how to get her book on how to Survive on a film set Bulletproof Screenwriting dot tv forward slash three eighty. Thank you so much for listening. Guys, As always, keep on writing no matter what. I'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Bulletproof Screenwriting podcast at Bulletproof Screenwriting dot tv.