Speaker 1: Now, so we get to cleanse our palates a little bit and enjoy something that's perfect for a day like this, and that's gelatto. Just getting back from Italy. You know, you get you have these flavors. You taste gelato and it's creaminess and density and it's luxury. So I'm excited and we'll get into tasting in a moment, but right now I want to introduce you to our guests as we talk about how long is this fairly new? Have you guys been around for a little bit or no?
Speaker 2: We started probably back in August of last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so fairly new. And the name of their place is Lefty Gelato, and is it Sue Young Park? Soue Young Park is the chef and Kevin is here as well. And English is not your native language, so you know, you as comfortable as you are to speak about something you can otherwise. Kevin's here is well, Whye gelato?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Because I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it too, but I can't make it what you know, as a chef and one that is celebrated to to shift from something and go very specific mhm, what other than its flavor and the fact that you love it. Drew you to want to make gelato.
Speaker 3: Oh, sorry about it. I used to be a chef at the restaurant. Uh huh at the time. I find you gelato shop all the time, and then I fall in love gelato, and then I decided, let's make the gelatto let's and then I start to make yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: If you like something, being able to make it. How many flavors at Lefties right now?
Speaker 3: How we serve sixth flavor with the one like special Sunday?
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. You have a total of seven items. But every month the Sunday will also change, and then as the season's changed, the flavors will also change too.
Speaker 1: Well, of course that's what a chef does, like the seasonal stuff. And let's see I want to see up on the website and where are you guys located?
Speaker 2: So right now we're operating inside the Style Hotel used to be the old Ace Hotel in downtown La uh huh. We were fortunate enough to have an opportunity to operate out of the hotel, so that's where we're at right now.
Speaker 1: That's awesome and you can find them on Instagram as well. Lefty Underscore Gelatterrea Lefty Underscore Geelatterrea, maybe so, maybe so? And right now we're talking to the folks from lefty lefties gelato Rhea. Where does lefty come from? You both have your hands, so we.
Speaker 3: Are both left I'm a lefty.
Speaker 1: Look at that? All right? That means we're creative and we're smart and we right horribly. But all of that aside. That's very very cool. And so you've got some you've got all your flavors here, and there's one that you're gonna brulay. So I said, oh no, no wait, and so we can hear the torch. You can light it right in front of the microphone right there, and we can hear you torch that and brew lay it right in front of us. Sure, please do look at that man, fire fire only Shannon Farren was here, fire fire, Wow one more time. Oh she's doing Look at this, Kayla, Miss Kayla, look at this. She's she's torching things. It's probably not even legal, but we're we run.
Speaker 2: We won't tell anybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody's listening.
Speaker 3: We're good.
Speaker 1: Look at that, okay, breulet obviously with a torch like a crim breulet. You're putting sugar on top of the gelato. In this case, and she's torching it and this will melt the sugar which will then come together again as it cools down in nice crispy crunchy topic exactly, And what's the flavor underneath there?
Speaker 2: So underneath the sun? So does this our sweet Potato Sunday. So underneath is a base of vanilla gelato that we also make in house. And then we have several layers of topping, one of them being a pecan crumble that we also make it a house. And then there is a sweet potato puree, which is also made in house, and then on top of it is a layer of custard and then we sprinkle sugar on top. And then as you.
Speaker 1: Saw, smells so good, right, all right, can you can you make me just a little bit of that a little taste, so like to taste that one that looks delicious?
Speaker 2: So for the Sunday, Yeah yeah, So we recommend that you crack the lay portion of it and then you dig deep to get all the layers.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, and then go from the bottom.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, to get all the layers and then.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: Not too bad, right, So we have serving cups for everybody. So if you just want to take your portion.
Speaker 1: How lovely is that? Wow? So so decadent, But man, those flavors so nicely in that crunch. Oh but I will make note of something I've worked with my producer Kayla for some time. The first time I've ever seen skip in the studio towards the food. Yeah, okay, we're up against the clock here, So what other flavors can we try?
Speaker 2: So our signature flavor is the date gelatto. So social pretended to on top okay, and that's a date puree on top, No, so is date flavored gelato. And then on top of the topping is a pecan problem. So basically what it is, it's just candied pecan grinded into a smooth texture. So we recommend that you eat it together. But that's that's our signature flavor.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we use Korean dates to produce the gelato.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, holy heck, that is really really good. I thought the first one was so great. I'm like, I hope it doesn't set, you know, disappointment, but wow, trying that one? Wow? Wow. All right, let's see one more here.
Speaker 2: So if you want something more, I guess refreshing. Sure, we recommend and the background.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's take this last one before we take our break. This is a sorbet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what you're eating right now is a mandarin sorbet. So we use California grown mandarins. We juice it every day at the kitchen, and you know, and then she she makes a sorbet out of it, and the same thing with the rat is.
Speaker 1: Now the top of my list best sorbet I've ever had. This is a fantastic sorbet.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That is perfect. It is perfect, The flavor, the sweetness, everything is perfect. Wow.
Speaker 3: You know that he all the time.
Speaker 1: The juice, Yeah for me, need some juice? Yeah, done and dumb that you should be very proud. This is delicious, very very special. All right. Lefty Geelataia, I cannot recommend them enough. This is fantastic. Did you try that? Right? And then insane? A little crunchiness, that sweetness. Lefty Gelataia. You can find them on Instagram Lefty Underscore Gelataia, Lefty Underscore Galatarea, and you find out everything about their you know, lefty Gelataia dot com, Lefty Gelataia dot com. They're lefties, so they're extra special. Thanks for coming on. I appreciate that this is really really delicious. How exciting is that? Very very fun