Speaker 1: What if you had a short cut, like a way to really get how the devices we use every day actually come into being. You know, how they're made, how they break, and even how the designs themselves shape our world.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what we're digging into today. Welcome everyone, We're doing a deep dive into the world and the really sharp insights of Andrew Bunny Huang. He's a well, a truly renowned hardware hacker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and for this deep dive, we're pulling from excerpts from his fantastic book The Hardware Hacker Adventures in Making and Breaking Hardware. You look at the reviews and man, you instantly see why it's considered essential. Joy Itedo from MIT Media Lab. He calls it a hacker's point of view bible, and he really highlights Bunny's, you know, practical hands on experience and his knack for explaining the whole hardware ecosystem.
Speaker 2: And Lamar Freed Ladiata from ad of Fruit. She says Bunny is the ultimate tour guide of hardware hacking. She points out how the book takes you right into the factories, covering the tech side, sure, but also the bigger implications of all this stuff we make him buy.
Speaker 1: Right. Then there's Mitch Altman, the TV begun inventor. He just calls it entertaining and informative on China's manufacturing. So our mission here is pretty clear. We're going to unpack Bunny's unique view from navigating these super complex supply chains in China to thinking about ip ethics and even getting into hacking biology.
Speaker 2: It sounds wild, but it connects. Get ready for some really surprising facts, those aha moments that will definitely change how you see the world as stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's jump right in. Where better to start than manufacturing Bunny's adventures in China, especially that hardware ecosystem. The scale and speed just jump out, don't they.
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely, it's kind of mind bending. Bunny talks about his first trip to Shenzhen's SAG electronics market. This was back in two thousand and seven. Yeah, he thought, you know, Akihaba and Tokyo is the peak, the absolute center of the electronics.
Speaker 1: World, right, the classic spot exactly, But.
Speaker 2: Then he hits seg and describes it as an orgy of consumer and industrial electronic purchasing, just way beyond anything he'd imagined. Colossal is the.
Speaker 1: Word, and the scale wasn't just the market, right, the whole city.
Speaker 2: The whole city shen Zen in two thousand and seven, nine million people. Places like Fox Cohn, you know where so much of our tech gets made. It had its own freeway exit over two hundred and fifty thousand employees. Just think about that number for a second.
Speaker 1: It's hard to even picture. And that's saying the one about food minisi wage.
Speaker 2: Shit, yeah, people consider food divine. Bunny saw this truckload of pigs heading straight for Fox Cohn off the highway. Wow, it really paints a picture, doesn't it, Not just of the sheer number of people, but the whole infrastructure built around supporting them. It's more than just assembly.
Speaker 1: Lines, absolutely, and that human element. It wasn't just about numbers. It was crucial for quality, even in high volume stuff. That story about the late night debugging, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: The Chumby factory June two thousand and seven. He's there at three am trying to figure out this problem, and the factory manages the text. They're right there with him.
Speaker 1: All night, providing gear too, right.
Speaker 2: Everything, soldering irons, X ray machines, microscopes, No complaints, just focused on fixing it.
Speaker 1: And the kicker is it wasn't even their fault.
Speaker 2: Exactly took out to be a firmware bug from the US side. And their reaction not anger, just relief.
Speaker 1: That says so much about their dedication.
Speaker 2: It really does. It ties into what Bunny calls the craft's people element. Like there was this one guy, a connector guy, yeah, hand placing connectors on every single Chumby for maybe five cents a unit, but it saved like two dollars per Chumby overall.
Speaker 1: Incredible human skill beating automation.
Speaker 2: On cost sometimes Yeah. And then there was Master Chow. This guy was a master pattern maker. He worked on cosmetic bags, for brawn cases for Microsoft, even medical braces.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Bunny points out before sophisticated machines, craft was literally the only way you got quality. It makes you appreciate the skills still involved.
Speaker 1: But there's that weird mix too, right, the automation paradox.
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely like chip on board Kobe technology. It saves costs by bonding the silicon dye right to the board used in fancy electronics and cheap toys.
Speaker 1: So high tech.
Speaker 2: Well yes, but here's the paradox you'd see these super advanced automated wire bonders making these tidy connections incredibly fast, right next to a line where other chips were being glued down and encapsulated totally by hand.
Speaker 1: So high tech automation side by side with manual labor exactly.
Speaker 2: It really messes with your image of a factory floor.
Speaker 1: Speaking of precision, getting the chumney cases right with injection molding, Bunny said that was no small hill to climb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the keyword he uses is precision, absolute precision.
Speaker 1: How precise are we talking?
Speaker 2: Molds cut from hardened steel with tolerances better than hair thin. And after the initial cutting, there's this process called EDM electrical discharge machining.
Speaker 1: That sounds intense, it's.
Speaker 2: Terrifically tedious, he says, yeah, uses electrical sparks to slowly erode the steel into these super intricate shapes, but very slow.
Speaker 1: And they did complex stuff too, like the rubbery back right.
Speaker 2: The over moolding, putting that soft tpe layer over the hard abs plastic for the chumbies back bezzle that needed a special two shot mold where parts actually spun around inside. It's really an art.
Speaker 1: But all this precision. All this complexity leads to challenges, especially managing quality from AFAR and the cultural.
Speaker 2: Differences huge challenges. Bunny gives this great example, tell us engineer, I need a button here. Yeah, pretty much know what you'll get in China, though you might get something awkward and clunky, but as he puts it, darn cheap. The priorities and interpretations can be really different.
Speaker 1: And the story about the QA manager Shell Lee building Chumbies but not knowing what the World Wide Web was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bunny felt like a spoiled snob realizing his basic assumptions weren't shared. That disconnect, if you're not careful, can cause real problems with the final product.
Speaker 1: So that's why big companies send teams over Apple and mordor pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Apple sends a cadre of engineers to places like fox Conn for these intense stints. They know you need eyes on.
Speaker 1: The ground, and Bunny's approach was similar, being there himself.
Speaker 2: As much as possible. Yeah, being on the floor using processes. The factory was already comfortable with treating new stuff as multi week challenges, not just overnight changes.
Speaker 1: He even trained workers personally.
Speaker 2: He did like attaching these fiddly EMI shields with copper tape. He mentioned the language barrier, but relying on facial expressions body language to see if they got it really hands on, and that hands on approach highlights the cost of distance, doesn't it?
Speaker 1: Oh massively? He said new processes could take weeks to get right when he was remote because of FedExing samples back and forth versus versus maybe a few hours if he was right there on the factory floor. That time difference is huge.
Speaker 2: It really hammers home the value of just being there.
Speaker 1: So when he couldn't be there, he built his own system checks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a homegrown audit system for the chummy test results allowed him to debug from the US. But also crucially, the factory knew someone was watching the data accountability from AFAR.
Speaker 1: That's clever, which kind of leads us into this whole other side of the Chinese hardware scene, the Shanzhai gonkai. Yeah, this different philosophy of openness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fascinating. It's way more than just copycats.
Speaker 1: Like his phone repair story, exactly.
Speaker 2: Gets his phone screen fixed in Shenzen half an hour costs less than just shipping the parts to Singapore whateff. That tells you something about the repair and recycle culture there.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Shanzhai, what does it really mean beyond copycat?
Speaker 2: Well, the characters literally mean mountain fortress. It carries this connotation of rebellious, individualistic sort of underground entrepreneurs. Bunny describes them as Robinhood meets che Guvara.
Speaker 1: Ah. Okay.
Speaker 2: These were often tiny outfits back in two thousand and nine. Some were churning out two hundred thousand mobile phones a month with under two hundred and fifty people. Wow.
Speaker 1: And they weren't copying.
Speaker 2: No way, they were invading in their own style, integrating wacky features. He calls them like seven point one stereo sound on a phone, dual sim cards way before they were common, even functional cigarette lighters or uvleds to spot fake.
Speaker 1: Money seriously, a cigarette lighter yep.
Speaker 2: And creating these mashups like a Ferrari branded phone or phone watch combos that actually came out before the first smart watches. They were remixing and experimenting.
Speaker 1: So how did IP work in that world? It sounds chaotic, It's completely different.
Speaker 2: It's more like community enforced rules because many shans I owned their own factories. Sharing blueprints wasn't just giving away secrets.
Speaker 1: It was like advertising exactly.
Speaker 2: Blueprints acted as advertisements to attract business for their manufacturing capabilities. Totally unlike Western IP, which Bunny says aims to create impenetrable monopoly positions, it fosters a different kind of ecosystem.
Speaker 1: And the twelve dollars phone is a perfect example of this Gonkai system in action.
Speaker 2: A perfect tangible example, a real quad band GSM, Bluetooth, MP three player, oled screen keypad, all for twelve bucks contract.
Speaker 1: Free and rumored to cost less than ten dollars.
Speaker 2: To make, Yeah, under ten dollars. The design was incredibly cost optimized, no screws, It all just snapped together, hardly any internal connectors components, even the battery soldered right onto the board, plus bonus decorative LEDs.
Speaker 1: AH, and the chip inside was super cheap too.
Speaker 2: The media Tech MT six two fifty zero DA rumored to be under two dollars in bulk. That's cheaper than the micro controller and Arduino board.
Speaker 1: So how did they design these things so cheaply? Where did the plans come from?
Speaker 2: That's the Gonkai part. Schematics board layouts software tools basically available for free, he says, if you knew Chinese and where to look online, though crucially often without the original copyright holders legal out.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it feels open source but isn't legally right.
Speaker 2: Buddy nails it. It feels like open source, but it's not. It's a different kind of open ecosystem, open through practice, through sharing, not through licenses.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how does that differ legally from Western open source? Bunny did some reverse engineering himself, right with Fernvale.
Speaker 2: He did with his colleague jobs. They relied on a key principle in US law from the Vice Publications case. Facts aren't copyrightable.
Speaker 1: So they could document how the chip work exactly.
Speaker 2: They carefully navigated things like the DMCA and CFA, made sure they got files from public servers, use devices without restrictive eolas to stay within fair use.
Speaker 1: For Bunny, then open hardware isn't just about the license.
Speaker 2: No, it's broader, he says, whether it's Gonkai or open source, open hardware is about empowering users to be the masters of their own technology. It's about freedom.
Speaker 1: He even calls it a basic human right.
Speaker 2: Freedom to learn, tinker, and improve technology is so core to my person that I view it as a basic human right. It's a really powerful statement about ownership and control over the tech that surrounds us.
Speaker 1: It really is, and you see that philosophy clearly in his own projects like Chumby.
Speaker 2: Definitely the Chumbi one. The later version was deliberately made much more hackable, firmware on a micro SD card, easy to swap.
Speaker 1: Out, hardware with no secrets, right, that.
Speaker 2: Was the motto. They posted everything online, schematics, gerber files for the PCB layout, the source code under GPL.
Speaker 1: And those test points so tech astronomy, Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, little hacker easter egg. Those test points could actually bypass the authentication chip's rite protection, a clear signal we want you to tinker.
Speaker 1: With this, and people did right, turn them into routers and stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, three g to Wi Fi routers at touching keyboards for a console shell. The openness invited that kind of creativity.
Speaker 1: Then came Novina, the laptop project that seemed even more hardcore, hacker.
Speaker 2: Focused, totally bespoke. Bunny and Ops basically built the laptop they wanted to use every day, kind of ignoring standard market demands, and it.
Speaker 1: Had some unique hardware features.
Speaker 2: Absolutely USB on the go, a utility e prom for storing settings, a powerful spartan six FPGA connected like RAM, analog inputs, PWM headers, even a Raspberry Pie compatible header. It was packed with potential and it opened itself. Yeah, an internal gas spring and they intentionally left the internals exposed naked for easy access and modification.
Speaker 1: Plus that pikare like a breadboard for hardware.
Speaker 2: Exactly designed with Nodu Peak from MIT, a grid of threaded holes so you could easily attach custom peripherals or mounts without drilling into the case. All about hackability.
Speaker 1: And the special wood case for the heirloom version.
Speaker 2: Oh, the heirloom Novina. Yeah us this amazing custom wood, composite cork, fiberglass wood, super tough, super resilient. He'd bended ten millimeters and it just bounced back, didn't break.
Speaker 1: Imagine a laptop doing that. But manufacturing wasn't all smooth sailing even for them.
Speaker 2: Never is right. They still hit snags with injection molding, things like sink marks where plastic cools unevenly, or flow marks streaks from cooling too fast, led to, as Bunny put it, a small hill of scrap plastic while they dialed it in.
Speaker 1: And they had to fix a clock issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the built in real time clock wasn't great, so they just made a dedicated external module for it. Sometimes fixing is better than fighting a flawed component.
Speaker 1: Okay. Third platform chibb Atronics circuit stickers sounds simpler.
Speaker 2: Deceptively simple. Building circuits on flexible polymide using Z tape tape that only conducts electricity vertically. Super clever way to make circuits you could stick anywhere.
Speaker 1: The manufacturing simple things can be hard. To that test, they designed.
Speaker 2: The process capability test. Genius. Really, they designed a sheet of stickers with variations specifically meant to break the manufacturing process, define the weak spots exactly. The factory initially refused, said it was impossible to make, but it helped them understand the limits and make the final product more robust.
Speaker 1: And that lesson. Not all simple requests are simple for everyone. Like the multimedia right the.
Speaker 2: Circuit sticker sketch book needed a non conductive spine. Simple idea, but they had to physically teach the book printer how to use a basic five dollars moulditer to check it. You can't assume knowledge crosses industries. Another smart move avoiding multiple firmware versions.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Lesson learned if a component can be placed incorrectly, it will be so. Instead of four different sticker types needing four firmware.
Speaker 2: Files, they made one firmware.
Speaker 1: One firmware, and the sticker's behavior blinking, fading, whatever, was set by just adding one external resistor. Much simpler to manage on the factory floor.
Speaker 2: But language was still a barrier sometimes even for blinking lights.
Speaker 1: It seems absurd, but yeah, Trying to translate the subtle difference between a fading pattern and a twinkling pattern into Chinese was tough. They used videos, but it still caused quality control headaches.
Speaker 2: Wow, and logistics Chinese New Year huge impact.
Speaker 1: Individual vendors might take two weeks off, but because everyone's holiday is staggered, the whole supply chain basically grinds to a halt for a month.
Speaker 2: You have to plan way ahead, and shipping wasn't straightforward either air versus Ocean. Surprisingly, yeah, for a shipment of sixty cartons, Ocean ended up being more expensive than air freight because of various search charges. They just weren't shipping in a volume to make ocean efficient, another hurdle for smaller players.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've seen the making side. Let's switch to the breaking side, the art of hardware hacking itself, tools techniques. Bunny's approach seems practical.
Speaker 2: That's about fear, definitely practical. He says, you have to break eggs to make an omelet. Likewise, you have to be willing to sacrifice devices to hack a system, no fear of breaking things. His rule of three start with three identical devices, one to tear down completely, one to probe wallet's working, and one kept pristine as a reference. Smart way to manage the.
Speaker 1: Process and hacking that PIC micro controller. It started with getting inside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, using failure analysis services companies that specialize in this to decapsulate the chip, basically dissolve the epoxy package.
Speaker 1: And inside he found shields.
Speaker 2: Unusual metal shields right over the security fuses that peaked his interest.
Speaker 1: His insight came from old tech, from uve proms.
Speaker 2: He knew flash memory could be erased by UV light. The challenge was getting the light past those metal shields.
Speaker 1: And the solution was physics.
Speaker 2: Basic physics, refraction index mismatch, like when you're underwater looking up the surface can look like a mirror at certain angles. He figured out how to use that effect to bounce UV light under the shields and erase the security fuses. Brilliant.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about SD cards? That started with a practical.
Speaker 2: Problem, Yeah, investigating potentially fake sd cards during Chummy production. But then it evolved into a darpafunded project. Could you make an SD card do something completely unintended?
Speaker 1: And the tool they built the RPL.
Speaker 2: An interactive RPL shell, mostly built by ox Ops. RPL stands for read Evil Print Loop. Basically, it gave them a command line inside the sd card's own little microcontroller.
Speaker 1: So they could run their own code on the card.
Speaker 2: Itself exactly real time arbitrary code execution. Huge step for understanding and potentially manipulating.
Speaker 1: Them and net TV hacking HDMI without breaking HDCP.
Speaker 2: That was super clever. The goal wasn't to decrypt the movie, which is illegal. It was to overlay their own content onto the already encrypted video stream.
Speaker 1: How did they manage that?
Speaker 2: They built a device with an FPGA that sat between the source and the TV. It pretended to be a display snooped on the HDMI communication channel the DDC to grab needed info and then use that to encrypt their own graphics overlay using the same encryption stream.
Speaker 1: So it works with the encryption, not against it.
Speaker 2: Precisely. It's hacking around the security, not through it. A really elegant legal and technical workaround.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how he applies that thinking even beyond electronics to biology.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is where it gets really mind bending. He sees biology life itself as this ultimate reverse engineering challenge. Organisms as complex systems, just ones with absolutely no documentation, and.
Speaker 1: He sees parallels to hardware parts lists totally.
Speaker 2: He looked at the published data for a Bacterium M pneumonia and said, the supplemental material read just like a bill of materials for a product, enzymes listed with functions gene sequences as the source code.
Speaker 1: Framing biology like engineering.
Speaker 2: It makes it approachable, right, And then he applies that to something like the flu virus H one N.
Speaker 1: One, seeing it as data as bits.
Speaker 2: The entire H one N one genome just twenty six twenty two bits about three point two kilibites. He finds it chilling that it takes about three point two kb of data to code for a virus that has a non trivial chance of killing a human.
Speaker 1: That efficiency is terrifying, and.
Speaker 2: Hacking it means knowing tiny changes in that code, like one amino acid of position six twenty seven in the PP two gene, can drastically change how deadly it.
Speaker 1: Is, so you could theoretically creak it.
Speaker 2: Theoretically, yes, make it more virulent, or maybe alter it just enough to evade antiviral drugs. It highlights how programmable life is at its core.
Speaker 1: Which leads straight into antibiotic resistance.
Speaker 2: The superbugs like that one to four dot h four outbreak in twenty eleven. Analyzing its genome, they found over eleven hundred genes were a perfect mass, which to known drug resistance genes is basically carrying a huge arsenal defenses.
Speaker 1: And resistance spreads easily like open source code.
Speaker 2: That's Bunny's analogy. There's this reservoir of resistance genes out there in the microbial world. Even if resistant bacteria are rare, they hold onto those genes, and because genetic code is somewhat interoferable between bacteria, those resistance traits can get passed around, shared between.
Speaker 1: Different species like bacteria downloading updates pretty.
Speaker 2: Much yeah, which brings us to crispercuss, the gene editing tool that emerged around twenty twelve. Bunny calls it the integrated circuit of gene editing.
Speaker 1: And it comes from bacteria to their immune system exactly.
Speaker 2: Bacteria use these Crisper sequences, short repeating patterns in their DNA to basically store snippets of DNA from viruses that attack them before, like a most wanted list.
Speaker 1: How does the editing part work?
Speaker 2: An RNA molecule copied from those stored snippets guides a protein called CAST nine to the matching viral DNA if it shows up again, and CAS nine acts like more lecular scissors, cutting the viral DNA.
Speaker 1: But we can use it to cut any DNA if.
Speaker 2: We design the guide RNA correctly. Yes, it allows for incredibly precise cut and paste operations within genes.
Speaker 1: The implications for humans are huge, mind.
Speaker 2: Boggling, Bunny says. It's been validated on human cells, even human embryos. The idea of custom designed children is suddenly on the table, a technological capability that he thinks could change humanity more than Moore's law ever did.
Speaker 1: That's a heavy thought. And what about gene drive.
Speaker 2: Gene drive is a crisper based technique to force a genetic change through an entire population, overriding natural selection. Like making all mosquitos incapable of carrying malaria. Sounds good about risks huge ecological risks. You're potentially altering an entire species, and ecosystems are complex. Plus, as Bunny points out, mosquitoes don't recognize geopolitical boundaries. A change at least in one place could spread globally with unpredictable results.
Speaker 1: And his final parallel ties back to hacking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his warning failing to disclose and discuss vulnerabilities just invites zero days. Whether it's a software bug or a powerful gene editing tech, secrecy is dangerous. We need open discussion about the risks and capabilities before things go wrong.
Speaker 1: So, stepping back from all this hacking, hardware, hacking, biology, what are Bunny's big takeaways? His reflections on the journey.
Speaker 2: It started young for him, right, Oh yeah, classic hacker origin story age eight an Apple two clone, but without a case, just the circuit.
Speaker 1: Board any tingred.
Speaker 2: He admits, I broke it several times, even though my dad told me not to. I just wanted to see what happened when you put the chips in backward?
Speaker 1: Ah, what did happen?
Speaker 2: I learned very early on that putting chips in backward is a bad thing. Learned by doing by breaking stuff.
Speaker 1: That curiosity stuck with him, and that carried into his professional life, learning solid works, injection, molding.
Speaker 2: Absolutely learning by diving in. He feels that hacker spirit, that drive to figure things out and solve problems, gets stronger when things get tough, and he argues society needs to cultivate and tolerate it.
Speaker 1: What about his manufacturing philosophy? What do people miss?
Speaker 2: Two big things the ability to source the materials and the yield. He calls out the make magazine problem cool projects you can't actually build because the parts are obsolete or impossible to find.
Speaker 1: Practicality matters, and picking a factory not the biggest.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily the biggest, like fox Conn, where if all you bring is money, you're worthless. He suggests finding a factory that may be missing certain capabilities right, because then you can provide value beyond just money, maybe by training their staff on a new technique. It becomes a partnership, trading more than money. Builds a stronger relationship.
Speaker 1: And looking ahead the future of hardware, Moore's law.
Speaker 2: Slowing, he sees that slow down maybe performance doubling every twenty four or thirty six months now not eighteen, as an opportunity. How so it opens space for smaller players, for open hardware. It allows for what he calls artisan engineering, focusing on elegance, optimization, really user needs rather than just cramming in more raw power or futures.
Speaker 1: Could that lead to more standardized hardware like modular phones, he thinks as possible.
Speaker 2: As the pace slows, maybe we could see things like a standard tablet or a mobile phone chassis with interchangeable components, more sustainable, more repairable.
Speaker 1: He also talked about the perception of hardware changing.
Speaker 2: Yeah from rock bottom around two thousand and one when software and web two point zero or everything, to this hardware renaissance fueled by Kickstarter, but with a warning, a warning about a potential bubble. Yeah yeah, Kickstart is great, but it also enables scams. Not every shiny new gadget is viable or even real.
Speaker 1: And his thoughts on selling hardware retail versus online.
Speaker 2: He points out retail is fundamentally different it's about face to face sales relationships, different margins an older system.
Speaker 1: And online companies struggle with that transition often.
Speaker 2: Yeah, margins are much fatter online, he notes, So companies starting online might underprice their stuff initially, then when they try to enter retail with its highigher costs and lower margins, they can't survive a crucial business lesson.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, what an incredible arc from the factory floors of Shenzhend, deep into the guts of microchips, SD cards, HDMI signals, and then all the way to the source code of life itself, all through Bunny's hacker lens.
Speaker 2: It really is a unique and powerful perspective on the world of making in the broadest sense.
Speaker 1: So, thinking about everything we've covered, what really stands out to you listening in, How might Bunny's way of thinking about manufacturing, about openness, IP, even biology, how might that connect to challenges you face or just change how you look at the tech around you.
Speaker 2: There's a quote from Bunny that really resonates here. He says, engineers love to make decisions based upon available data and high confidence models of the future, But I think there real visionaries either don't know enough or have the sheer conviction and courage to see past the facts and cast a long shot.
Speaker 1: That's interesting, seeing past the facts. So here's a final thought. In this world that's getting more complex, more technologically driven every day, are there limits to just relying on fact based reasoning? And how much of that that courage to see pass the facts, how much of that sheer conviction do we actually need to truly innovate, not just with our tech, but maybe even with ourselves.