Speaker 1: As a brief reminder, during this episode where we cover cry Baby, we'd like to reiterate that Walt, Today's co host, is contributing to a discussion centered on LGBTQ plus lifestyle topics he personally identifies as completely one heterosexual. His participation reflects the commitment to open, respectful dialogue and should not be interpreted as a statement about his own sexual orientation. We appreciate your understanding. As we continue the conversation with Mark and Raffall, thank you for listening.
Speaker 2: Walking out, everything was.
Speaker 3: No problem guys here, I should thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: You made it very clear that I needed to read that I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I sent you this earlier. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, welcome back. We're discussing, as I just said before the.
Speaker 2: Break. Here, we were.
Speaker 1: Discussing the nineteen ninety film starring Johnny Depp directed by John Waters called cry Baby. And who selected cry Baby is their choice? That is me refall, hooray, So what is it? What is it like to be forced to select an American movie?
Speaker 4: It's a struggle.
Speaker 1: Now have you have you seen cry Baby? And whether you have not, whether you had or had not before this, why did you pick Cry Baby I have, So.
Speaker 5: It was actually the second time I watched it.
Speaker 4: And what made me go for it.
Speaker 5: I think probably the fact that it's kind of, like, of all of the films by John Waters, one of the most digests the ball kind of in an easy way. It has a kind of storyline that's kind of, you know, manageable to navigate actually triggers the events, which isn't always a given. And probably Johnny also contributed, let's be frank young and beautiful.
Speaker 1: Very young and beautiful Ryan, And this is from from.
Speaker 2: Hoskins.
Speaker 1: From my understanding, this is when he was like teen Heartthrobed, twenty one, Jump Street nightmarn Old Street. And he was like, because Johnny has a pretty weird dude, he always has been. So he was like, I'm going to choose something that's going to get me out of, you know, being a mainstream Like I don't want to be in like a rom com directed by who gives the ship? So yeah, I'll make a movie with John Waters. That was my understanding on his choice.
Speaker 4: Crazy also quite interesting.
Speaker 2: What you sorry, Ryan? What did you say?
Speaker 3: Same years war Sis Her Hands?
Speaker 6: You could have told me this was five years before I was blown away.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 7: Sorry, sorry, Yeah, So I was just kind of having this realization also that I think what also kind of you know, got me to to choose it was how this narrative also kind of feels a bit more digestible for me as non American because it's kind of playing into this idea of what we know about America kind of you know, from the outside perspective, with this kind of golden times of the fifties rock and roll revolution, it kind of feels like it's more American in the mainstream sense of being American, rather than this kind of only ebb of fringe, which is probably more the case in other films. So I think this kind of also probably contributed to the choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah overall, Yeah, I mean John Waters is clearly obsessed with the fifties, which is like when he grew up, because I think he's eighty now do you know how old he is?
Speaker 3: Ryan and think you just da right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he loves big hair, just you know, the fifties aesthetic.
Speaker 2: He's very into.
Speaker 1: But I also wanted to mention which you three may not be familiar with. So the female lead of this movie is Amy Locine, and she's just she had.
Speaker 2: Some moments in the nineties.
Speaker 1: I said that she's sort of to me like a doppelgainer, doppelganger for Christina Applegate. They just have similar vibes and similar roles that they could play. But she was in school ties. She classic film that I love, Airheads. She was Brendan Fraser's girlfriend, but she was in pre Fontaine. But you know, she was I'm not criticizing her in any way, like she wasn't a bad actress, but she was just really, really beautiful and that's why she was successful when she was younger, and as she got older, as happens in Hollywood, you know, the roles kind of dried up for her. But I think this is so fascinating in an awful way. So I think this is wrong what happened to her, even though she killed someone. So Amy Locine killed someone while she was drinking and driving. She had a point two to three blood alcohol level and hit another car and killed a six year old woman. She went to trial and was sentenced to three years in jail, and she was sentence of five years in jail, but got out in three and then she so she's out of jail. She served her sentence. She's amongst the public now, and this is what I think is so fucked up. I don't care what she did. I think this is wrong. The family was so upset that she got out in three years that they asked a judge to review the sentence, and a judge reviewed the sentence and changed it to be longer and sent her back to jail after she had served her sentence and got out. So she went back to jail in twenty sixteen and got out in twenty No, she was she'll wait. No, an appeals court ruled that the three year sentence would be re reviewed. In twenty nineteen, she was sentenced to five more years behind bars. So she eventually got out of jail in twenty twenty four. At that point her husband had divorced her and got costing her children. So that sucks.
Speaker 3: When do' this happen? When the riding happen?
Speaker 1: The accident happened in two thousand and ten, yeah, twenty ten, June twenty ten. So I didn't think that was possible, honestly, to serve your sentence and get out of jail then to be re sentenced. I've never heard of that out in my life. So that sucks, and it sucks that her life turned out this way, but so it kind of made me sad, like reading that about her anyways, I went down a whole rabbit hole back to her fall to about this movie.
Speaker 4: Well, let's get back to the movie then.
Speaker 5: Well, well, speaking of what happened to her afterwards, appenty, this whole scene with letting her men out of jail song was kind of in place, only the gender should be changed. Do you think somebody performed out at her window when she was in jail.
Speaker 1: If someone did, they were definitely not as good looking as Johnny Depp. But this being a musical surprised me too, because it's like, we'll talk about it later, but you can make pink flamingos or you can make a very successful musical like Hairspray. And John Waters is like, yeah, you know, like depends on the mood I'm in, I'll do one or the other. And Ryan, if I'm correct in assuming this Crybaby did not do well financially.
Speaker 6: I don't think any of them who have been like big, even like the more mainstream ones, have ever been like big, big hits. I think they all just kind of break even but he writes all this stuff like it's weird because like for someone who like went from truly his own world and then kind of went to quote unquote mainstream, it's never been like John Waters sold out. It's always been like his own thing he's done. It's never been on a bigger stage. You have to compromise in some way, but it's never been like like, even though this is a more mainstream movie, doesn't feel like he's not in it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I don't know how to describe it.
Speaker 1: I don't think anyone can accuse John Waters of selling out because of what It's not like he stopped making insane movies and only made cry Babies moving forward, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Like, what I'm floored by is that like when you look at like the mainstream ones and like who produces them, It's like, like I think, like this guy who made Cryberry, made Brian Grazer, made all of like Ron Howard's movies and did like splash, does he see playing from Angos and be like call that guy tomorrow and get him in the room. It's just like it's so interesting, Like how does this happen in a good way?
Speaker 1: But yeah, Mark, had you seen it before? And did you do you like cry Baby?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: We we watched it actually in Iceland. I think because there was this period of like I was just kind of making my way from his early stuff to the you know, I have never made it past Cereal Mom actually, and I only watched Cereal Mom recently after your pod you know with bone Person, so uh and Ben, of course you're a correspondent. But but yeah, like cry Baby, I did like it. I actually liked it better the second time like watching it, and I think maybe it was a nice like paliate cleanser because I I think we will talk later about the like this trilogy that we kind of ended up choosing from uh, of movies, they get a bit like there's a lot of screaming.
Speaker 4: It like gets like watching them in a row.
Speaker 5: It's like it gets like I love them, but it also gets a bit much. So I think this is a nice palate cleanser and nice like you know, just some acting, some funny aspects.
Speaker 4: So overall I enjoyed Cry Baby.
Speaker 5: I think this aspect of like Johnny Depp in his tier and the ending is is really nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ryan, what about you?
Speaker 6: I made the mistake of starting with this, not because of the movie, but I like, as Mark said, like they just they just get so loud and you're.
Speaker 3: Just like, what the fuck is happening?
Speaker 6: And because of just sheer timing, because I saw you tim Tuesday, I had to watch two of them like during work, like and like working from a computer, so I would just like be doing something and you can't not get like, what the fuck is happening here? And again, like especially when like Divine screams, it's just so loud, it's just so it's just the tone. So I made a fatal error in starting with so like, oh Craperty Story the longest one, because it's a mainstream movie, I'm like, I better start with this first.
Speaker 3: And that was a mistake, but a good one, I guess.
Speaker 1: I think all John Waters movies include It's always like normal people in a town, but they're very unreasonable and and very over the top of their emotions. Yes, so, like, well, so I had never seen cry Baby. It's it's free on YouTube, and I truly mean free, like anybody can go on YouTube and watch it with ads. I it was not for me, Like, I you know, it's fine. I didn't dislike it. I thought it was well made and it was impressed by the music. But I just I'm like, yeah, I don't really I don't really care. But well, I you know, we probably should have done this already. But Rafall, will you, you know, in a nutshell, explain what this movie is about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So the story is about the.
Speaker 7: Love in social conflict circumstances, which I believe is also a common theme for anything that John Wallers actually did, because there was also always a.
Speaker 4: Social type of.
Speaker 5: Mismatch that kind of results in whatever events we actually end up observing. And what I kind of took out of this story in which we basically are being guided through a love story between a boy from let's say, lower strata and a girl from probably elite of the society who actually ended up being together happily shockingly enough, is that, unlike in other films, it was actually quite visible that he left space over here for transitioning between the stratas society. This was actually very interesting to me in this film, So we actually observe two major female characters just kind of finding themselves initially in the wrong area of society and then basically swapping roles and just kind of taking over from one another and just living there forever Cappy Live afterwards. I love how deep you're getting about because it's deep to me, Like, I absolutely yes. Like it's a different type of narrative.
Speaker 7: Than you know, Dirty Underwear in the trilogy, right, that's kind of a different type of effects over here.
Speaker 5: But in general terms, yeah, love story that initially doesn't get any social blessing whatsoever. Then we get a couple of conflicting moments that also resolve around the past of both characters being both orphans and both having different type of life and upbring upbringing.
Speaker 4: The leads to.
Speaker 7: The major character, who is of course cast as Johnny ending up in jail and then magically freed from jail to live happy with the girl of his dreams, and he's nickname is cry Baby.
Speaker 5: It's kind of like a spoof on Grease. Grease is it not?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 5: I felt like I was like, were they at the school? I felt like at the beginning it was like.
Speaker 6: This, when they're doing the jail song, I was kind of like, Oh, this is what they're going for here when they're doing Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I would say like another theme is all of john Waters movies are intentionally over the top ridiculous, but I found.
Speaker 2: Fault had a very very good point.
Speaker 1: Is like what you kind of touched on, or at least what I was absorbing from what you said, is a major theme in John Waters movies is like the pressure of society to be quote unquote normal. And I assume, I mean I have am not gay yet, but I assume being gay growing up in a homophobic society, you feel a lot of pressure to not be gay, to be quote unquote normal. And I don't think it's always about being gay in John Waters movies, but like you know, Amy Lokaine is feeling pressure to be a good girl and not hang out with the greasers, and just you know everyone, first of all, nobody's normal in John Water's movies or in real life, Like none of us are normal at all, and if you all have this pressure, like that's why I always say I think like really religious people like Mormons, for example, are always secretly dirty perverts that are addicted to porn because if you're me, you can look at porn whenever you want, so it's just it doesn't have to become this like intense secret. But I feel like whenever you have this pressure to not be something, you kind of have an itch to be that because you're being told not to so been being told to be this good, normal girl, and she has this itch where like I want to date Johnny Depp and hang out with him because he's he's just so handsome and appealing and not everything that I'm used to. Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's interesting because he also introduces always at the one character who's kind of like strikingly different even when it comes to the visual appearance basically, so in this case, of course, it's yet another reason for me to choose the film because she's Polish, and that's more Malarovsky hatchet face, I mean phenomenal character, Like I live single scene in which she was present. So yeah, attention to like anything that's kind of off the grade, anything that's kind of more outside of the of the propriety of the beauty, of this kind of canonic ideas of what life should be like. And she's definitely not of those, and and she's.
Speaker 1: Beautiful, so yeah, hatchet face, Well, hatchet faces, I'm a contradicted rap just said hatchet faces. And there's like a greaser gang and like a preppy gang. I guess you could call him a gang. And hatchet Face is just this very ugly woman who's called hack that's in the Sorry what squares and drapes?
Speaker 3: The squares and drapes. The squares are.
Speaker 1: The squares are the preppy kids.
Speaker 2: The drapes are the greasers.
Speaker 1: Hatchet Face is a very ugly woman who is called hatchet Face that's in the drapes, And it's like, hey, we're casting a really ugly woman. You're great for that, Like that's gotta be a bummer.
Speaker 5: But you know, he somehow gets away with it. It's somehow like he he's kind of putting it in your face so much that it like get he gets away with this sort of like political incorrectness. I mean yeah, because there was actually correctness and incorrectness in it at the same time, because there was incorrectness of kind of showing her as she is, because it's kind of in your face, but at the same time that it's correct because she's actually part of the best gang there is, like she actually gets a recognition of it, and not because of whatever judgment that could be based of what she looks like, but she actually gets the recognition of being what she is as a kind of, you know, piece of art every human being is. But also the gang, the gang genuinely like the way her presenting it is that I don't even it doesn't even feel like a joke. Like the Gang like her Gang genuinely believes she's beautiful and appreciates her and like respects her. So I think that's what's also nice.
Speaker 6: That, like John shows, I think that moment at the end when privately says that on the stage, it feels very earnest in the movie, do.
Speaker 5: You actually believe that the cow that runs away is representation of the normal society?
Speaker 4: That kind of kind of you know.
Speaker 1: I think we talked when I went over Marty Supreme, I talked about how much I hate stunt casting. John Waters is how stunt casting totally works. And John Waters does stunt casting all the time, but it works for his films because they're intentionally over the top ridiculous. And two examples of stunt casting in this movie. The first is Tracy Lords, who's a famous porn star that we talked about in Cerial Mom. She plays this I don't even know how you describe her high school student first of all looking great, but she's like a high school student who has a very square, naive set of parents that don't get that. She's sort of like the school tramp. I would say, yes.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: And the other stunt casting, which he has used multiple times is Patty Hurst plays Tracey Lord's mom. Do you guys know Patty Hurst?
Speaker 5: I so, I actually looked up because we just watched this movie, you know, right before the we started recording, and I was like, the mom looks familiar, and I thought maybe she was in the old movies that we watched as well. But then I looked up Patty Like I saw Patty Hurst. I was like, I know this name, but how do I know it? And I'm not sure like what she's coming from. Is she like a famous like did she kill someone or something?
Speaker 1: This is so John Waters.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Patty Hurst in nineteen seventy four was kidnapped by a cult called the SLA. And the SLA stands for the Symbionese Liberation Army and the term Stockholm syndrome basically became completely mainstream in American culture because of Patty Hurst. So, She's kidnapped by the SLA, got Stockholm syndrome and completely integrated and fell in love with all these people and considered them like her family and friends. And then the SLA later robbed a bank and Patty Hurst participated in the bank robbery. Then she was caught and arrested, and her defense was like she had Stockholm syndrome. She was terrorized, brainwashed and robbed this bank under duress, and she ended up being found guilty and sentenced, but I don't think the sentence was very severe. And then she got out of prison and starred in several John Waters movies.
Speaker 6: He talks about it a lot because he is obsessed with court cases, so he would just go to courthouses to kill time.
Speaker 3: And he said he went to like almost all of her proceedings.
Speaker 6: He was like such a huge fan, and I'm like, it's like, where all this comes from is unreal.
Speaker 5: Also shows up in his movies a lot. I feel like there's always like a coin scene.
Speaker 1: While yeah, he he has he's obsessed with crime and serial killers and he's communic. He's written letters in real life it's like correspondence to actual serial killers. So it's yeah, it's a it's and oh, Johnny Depp's dad they reference is a serial killer in this movie. He's the Alphabet Bomber, which is like a fictional serial killer, while Amy Locaine is an orphan. I think we fall mentioned that her her parents flew somewhere, took separate, separate planes in case one of the planes crashed, and both of the planes simultaneously crashed laving.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, so Ricky Lake, the entire movie.
Speaker 2: Is pregnant, correct, Yes, Pepper Pepper.
Speaker 1: And Johnny Depp describes her as Pepper is pregnant and can fight like a man. Great line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was amazing.
Speaker 5: I also was like, Pepper has two kids, and I was like, when did she have these kids? Because she's like supposed to be what, like, you know, seventeen, and the kids are already like at least like six years old.
Speaker 1: She's pregnant, she says a third.
Speaker 5: She's she's hoping for triplets.
Speaker 1: Oh so in every PG thirteen movie, you're allowed to do one fuck and Patty Hurst says the one fuck where Tracy Lord's mom, Patty Hurst does not know, has never heard the word fuck before. It's new to her and us, so somebody like it is explaining it to her and she says to the judge, can we take one to the fuck home in the.
Speaker 2: Middle of court? I really like that a lot. What I have some random notes. Willem Dafoe is in this.
Speaker 4: Wasn't that him?
Speaker 2: Yep? Yeah, he's a prison guard?
Speaker 1: I wrote, what the fuck is this? Of course this.
Speaker 2: Movie didn't make any money, m.
Speaker 1: What so part of the plot of the movie is about singing, so refall, like, do you want to explain the singing contests and how they won't let him sing?
Speaker 7: Basically, So again, considering there was actually two signs of society, both of them kind of you know, en and produce different types of music, and with the major characters being involved in performing, this kind of creates this alternative way of developing your career, either within the square type of the society or within this kind of more fringe liberators area. And yeah, like I didn't really kind of navigate the contest because I have no idea like what like it's you know, the contest to me is actually something that somebody wins. And I didn't really kind of pay attention or like, I didn't really grab the idea of actually one and what so this was kind of a foreign concept for probably, but in general terms, it kind of, you know, ends with the main female character just basically performing either within the square framage that she was born into or within this kind of you know, gang, and she clearly finds the performances with the gang more.
Speaker 4: Appealing, more liberated.
Speaker 5: She's more liberated, she's more herself, and she definitely is also more present and visible, which kind of also I think shows this idea of her being quite objectified within the constraint of the classical society, whereas well she's actually on the kind of a wild rock and roll stage. She's just kind of being a free woman. I'm sorry, sorry, no, I was just gonna say one of the music like scenes, like I absolutely loved it, which I was laughing at a lot, was when basically she gets with Johnny and then the party that they're at or like this kind of festival, that music festival they're at, gets broken up by the police and everyone goes to jail, and then you find there's this other character who loves Johnny, and she goes on the news and says that she's pregnant with his child, which then like the other main girl, I forget her name is a bit upset, and she has this square boyfriend and he does this scene where he does like a bunny hop down the street with the band get the back. But I just love that because I was so stupid. But he like bunny helps all the way, and she's even pissed herself, like look good the window, Like what is this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so cringe, And I have a bunch of notes about what you just said. First of all, when the police come and break it up, this is a great like moment that you barely notice. All of the white teenagers are thrown into a paddy wagon and driven away. All of the black teenagers are thrown into some dude's pickup truck that's wrapped in barbed wire and driven away. And so what part of the like sex is obviously bad in this nineteen fifties society. One of the reasons they don't want to allow Johnny Depp to sing is because it makes girls too horny. And there's a scene in the movie where he sings and all the girls are wearing these sort of long poodle skirts. All the girls hearing him sing just like simultaneously take their panties off under their skirts.
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed that.
Speaker 1: But there's a line where this girl says, you know, that's saying she's pregnant with Johnny baby. Her name is Leonora, and I don't remember if as Tracy Lawd's, but somebody says, you're a square, Leonora, but you're still a tramp.
Speaker 3: I love my favorite line in this entire movie.
Speaker 5: It was Grandma.
Speaker 3: It was Grandma.
Speaker 6: It was the way she delivered that line was flawless. I was dying laughing at that. It was so funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Grandma's great Ryan. Why don't you briefly explain Grandma.
Speaker 6: It's interesting because what were false and earlier. I think Grandma's interestingly representative of that, because you'd think, like the grandmother of Amy Lokane's character would be like the hardest person to get on his side.
Speaker 3: And it's kind of surprising how.
Speaker 6: Like after the scene in the church when she gets in the bike with him, the Grandma's like, okay, like you can do this, and the grandma kind of joins them and she kind of accepts him, and I just thought, like any other movie, it's the exact opposite, or it's like an ending dramatic scene where she finally accepts him, so I relect Grandma. She was also into the priest the jail Wharton.
Speaker 1: I think Grandma secretly wanted it too, Like Grandma wants to be Amul Locaine rebelling deep down, but it's just too.
Speaker 3: Late for her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, unless she has and it's just not shown.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's just you know, in her past.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 5: But also another Grandma is just as great of a character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna ask Hi about her too. Refall or Mark, do you want to explain Johnny Depp's grandma.
Speaker 7: She has a wonderful hat that's like made out of a duck or what. It's so trily attacks to dremy duck on top of her head.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with legs. It even has danglely legs.
Speaker 5: Okay, this is actually something I was saying to like to Rafa when we were watching, and I didn't realize, maybe this is stupid of me, like because they have the Confederate flags like very present in this, and I didn't realize the sort of like hillbilly aspect of Maryland or like this sort of like Confederacy hillbilly like part of Maryland's maybe like you can talk about that cup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could. I can. So Maryland is very weird because it's not the North and it's not the South. It's sort of culturally similar to the North and the South in both ways, but it's not really either. It's you know, it's called the mid Atlantic, it's called the DMV, but Maryland and specifically Baltimore, is incredibly black. It is uh do the DMV uh you know d C Washington. D C is right in the middle of that. DC is nicknamed Chocolate City because it's so black and because of the like one of the reasons that Boston isn't as isn't as overtly racist is because it's mostly white. Like I feel like like you're not gonna have racial conflict in China if you're in a city that's one hundred percent Chinese people, because there's no there's no racism to be had there. But there's conflict in there's a history of conflict in Baltimore. Obviously, you know Freddy Gray and everything that that happened there. So Maryland is kind of like I think, first of all, I think like there's a lot of white people in Maryland that are racist because it's a heavily populated black city, and I think it's more normal to it's more casually accepted by white people in my anecdotal experience in life to accept racism against black people if you're in an area with a lot of black people, Like I never experienced racism growing up in Massachusetts. But at the same time, there was no black people where I grew up. So it's almost like New York, where if the city itself is so blue and so so liberal, so democratic, but then the whole rest of the city of New York is very red. Maryland's like that. So Maryland it's not you know, it's not a Alabama. But if you go outside of the city and you go into the county, like you can get pretty, you can get pretty redneck or hic real fast. I would say, so, yeah, yeah, that's my explanation of that. So it doesn't surprise me that he would depict Maryland as, especially outside of Baltimore itself, as racist or hillbilly.
Speaker 5: M Yeah, but like that was a bit surprising to me. But that's why Grandma, like Grandma and her like new husband are like they've been together for ten years or something, kind of referenced that they just like here's me. His name is uncle Belvidare. Uncle yet another Polish reference, is it Belvidere is the most recognizable and the best exports balts c from Poland.
Speaker 6: So yeah, they just like.
Speaker 5: Kind of live in the in the woods and she has this kind of club house that's also a bit like spooky themed or like like what's.
Speaker 4: Going on there?
Speaker 5: But she's just like she's also like she's into the greasers, Like she's she's very happy with Crybaby and his group of friends, and she hosts like music events. Yeah, very supportive of the Greasers, I'd say.
Speaker 1: At one point, Ricky Lake's children are taken away and they're shown later in basically the orphanage is depicted as a pet store, yes, where it's like they have like a straw floor and the children are playing in the window and they're like, well, this child loves to play, you know. It's basically like this. Yeah, that's that's what it was. Changing the subject. But another one of my favorite lines in this movie. So mink Stool is in this movie, and mink Stool has been in the literally she's an actress. She's been in literally every single John Waters movie ever made, and she's smoking in court and the judge says to her, there's no smoking in the courtroom, and she says, I pay taxes on cigarettes, and I wrote, I wrote, like, checkmate, that's exact actly right.
Speaker 5: She's smoking and she's in an iron lung.
Speaker 6: She's we like added the process to get that into a courtroom. Unreal.
Speaker 1: I pay taxes on cigarettes, and like, I'm paying your salary.
Speaker 4: Which I love a lot.
Speaker 3: The mirror to like the rear view mirror look at people. It's fucking brilliant. I love that.
Speaker 5: I was actually waiting, like because I saw her in the opening credits and I was like, I was just waiting for, like, who is she going to be this time?
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, I'm a big fan of Minkstall after this this podcast series. But uh, the end of the movie, Like one of the climaxes at the end of the movie is there's a game of chicken. And I thought chicken, like a game of chicken was such a thing to me as a child. I always saw it in pop culture and fiction, it was in movies, and it was totally normal to me. And I thought, like, CC is not going to know what that is. Does refall even do isfall familiar with the game of chicken. But that's just like very of the time, I thought to.
Speaker 7: Me, Yeah, so I like I kind of knew it from again some like other films where it would be displayed, but I didn't even kind of know that it would be called chicken in the first place. I like, you know, this sort of like racing by by all means of kind of not trying to basically put your put your what opponent into the place where they just you.
Speaker 5: Know, crash crash y out just you know, cannot handle the pressure. And that's how you like win because you have I don't know what's.
Speaker 1: Balls, suicidal craziness, but it's one of those things, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: Or you're young enough, right, because that's also exactly what the whole story is about.
Speaker 4: Like Johnny performing in the jail, he.
Speaker 5: Also kind of you know, over there, or cry Baby says that he's only he sings that he's only in jail because of being so young.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is one of those things of the time, just consuming fiction that has no correlation to real life. And I use Quicksand as the example, like if you're seven, if me at seven, if you were to ask me is quicksand an issue in the world, like are you gonna come across quicksand are you worried about Quicksand I'd be like, oh, yeah, absolutely, and it's just no, that's like does it does it ever exist anywhere? That's how I feel about Games of Chicken. But Ricky Lake gives birth. Ricky Lake gives birth during the game of Chicken, which is wonderful.
Speaker 5: Yea, in the back of the car is.
Speaker 7: But Mark, I remember you also were taking a note at the moment the sentence was passing the chords because I think you loved what they were actually sentenced for.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it was rampant juvenile delinquency and I love.
Speaker 1: Buddy, Yeah that's not that's not a crime. You have to to find that a little further. Although nowadays who knows what you could be charged with or not charged with in the United States. So yeah, and go back for yeah, bringing it full circle, Ryan.
Speaker 7: And also speaking of the jail, I think was also kind of important to mention in the sense of, as you Tim said, like John Waller's being a gay guy, it's also how he is always going to smuggle some really good selection of very young studs somewhere albert and.
Speaker 4: That's the jail scene exactly.
Speaker 7: Like the average age in jail of the prisoner is approximately war twenty two. I think even of the guards, probably the oldest one is around thirty. So you know, for the most part, everybody's stopless, so kind of like very in good selection going on over it. I didn't know Maryland was actually such a warm state, but if it's mid Atlantic, then maybe it makes sense that everybody's have naked all the time in jail.
Speaker 1: I would say, like Baltimore is always good for being ten degrees hotter than Boston. That was my experience with it. Whatever Boston was, Baltimore's ten degrees hotter and or humid too.
Speaker 5: I also, I was saying to rap up, like I want an electric chair tattoo, Like now after this movie, Johnny Depp has an electric chair based off of his father's, like you know, a sentence like on his chest.
Speaker 4: And I was like, that actually is kind of nice. I think Hatch is coming from me.
Speaker 1: Really, really, Mark, you think that's kind of nice?
Speaker 5: Really the electric chare tattoo and the eye like the teardrop tettoo.
Speaker 1: Sun, what was the psychotic thing you said? To me recently, Oh that you you think Flea Bottom would be fun? And in Game of Thrones the slum, the slum in the capital city is called Flea Bottom, and Mark said, I think Flea Bottom would be fun, and I wrote back, every person from Flea Bottom is depicted as a complete psychopath murderer except for one character, So Flea Bottom would not be fun though.
Speaker 5: So a lot happening to the bottom. So I feel like you, you know, there's a lot of stimulation.
Speaker 2: That I agree.
Speaker 1: I agree that there'd be a lot of stimulation, like like rape and murder as if that stimulation.
Speaker 7: I just wanted to bring up just one more thing on my part because I feel that, you know, with us being in Iceland at the moment, it's important to kind of bring the Nordic references, which is actually the only foreign reference in the entire film, and maybe not the only one, but the most important one. How do you feel how do you feel about the Swedish exchange students?
Speaker 3: Oh, when.
Speaker 6: That's to her, they're gonna switch remember her mom's gonna switch out.
Speaker 5: Very very I'm going to send you forgot that was so important.
Speaker 7: She was a milkmaid apparently, and she came from Sweden for an exchange for which the I think Wanda was supposed to go to Sweden. Of course she never really did because she was going for the theme park opening.
Speaker 4: Like should think about the extention in sweet and just forget it.
Speaker 7: But I just kind of love this also a presentation of a you know, Nordic whatever, Swedish girl who will answer yeah to every question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fall I actually wanted to mention that I think we actually talked about this before in the pot, but Baltimore is incredibly Polish and in the wire there's they depict about how there's like a large Polish population and they have a lot of political poll in the community. But oh my, like the water just got turned on down by down here and it's so loud. But anyways, and I think I mentioned this too before, but there's a Polish genocide memorial that's very large and in like a central location in Baltimore. That's a Katian memorial.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: K A T y N. Yeah, So yeah, Baltimore is a very Polish place.
Speaker 7: Well, I just need to go visit and see if they also have a Polish triangle as gooods Boston does.
Speaker 1: That food is the Polish Triangle in Boston was legit good. I don't know how authentic it was, but I thought it was legit good. And what was like the you said that what I ordered the sub I ordered was like a two am drunk thing in Poland.
Speaker 7: Was conca Absolutely, when you make it to crackle, you just have to go to the square in the Jewish districts and just order it, because that's exactly the conference with everybody does after overdoing alcohol and everybody over over over dues, overdes alcohols, so you have to.
Speaker 4: Was sure.
Speaker 1: Zappi kanka? Is that what you just said?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, that was very yummy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Those are all my notes on Crybaby? Did you would you have any other thoughts or themes you wanted to discuss for Crybaby?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think that's also covering most of mine.
Speaker 5: I just really liked the ending, like because the recurring Like the reason why I like Cribby has his nickname is because he has this very thick, like beautiful tier that kind of you know, runs down his face generally when he sees like his love and the movie, but at the end when a faulted tear, Yeah, and there is a scene also when he goes to jail his the girlfriend starts drinking her own tears to like feel like she's connected to him. But I just like the end scene where during the game of Chicken, like she gets thrown from a motorbike like into Johnny's arms and as she's like, the end scene is just like her flying across the sky and every single character they just show with the same tier that Johnny has had the entire movie, and then he catches her and it just they're both crying and then it ends, And I was like, that's a beautiful way to But I think.
Speaker 7: With the same time of the film, it's very important how Pepper delivers her third child in the car during the game, because I kind of love this kind of interconnecting themes of possibility of death which is inevitable, and then life coming new people and somewhat that's just so beautiful and so true about life.
Speaker 3: We got heavy so quick.
Speaker 6: Wow, as Mark Flag in the air was amazing too.
Speaker 3: I love that four minutes straight if our flying was great.
Speaker 1: Hey, Ryan, I just paused the episode so listeners won't hear this, but don't ever talk over me again.
Speaker 3: We talked about this.
Speaker 6: We talked about that, remember that with the attorney.
Speaker 3: But why would it ever get this bad? It's sad if you got that bad.
Speaker 1: Why we're doing this for We see each other and we're doing it for no money, and we're.
Speaker 6: Losing money doing this losing money?
Speaker 1: Yeah but yeah, yeah, so uh well yeah, rupall. I mean, this is your movie. Anything else you wanted to discuss with cry Baby before we go to the next episode.
Speaker 3: No, truly.
Speaker 5: I think it's just a film that has a ton of beautiful scenes, and the problem is that's with you know, probably the approximate you won an hour per film, you would kind of get to the point where you feel like, oh no, I actually am ready, I'm going to bring up another scene and get another scene, and get another scene. I think the major thing about this film is just watch it. Just watch it and have your own opinion and then pick your own scenes.
Speaker 1: And I did. I'm not trying to make light of a six year old woman dying, but in searching stuff for Ammiel Locaine, I did see her mug shot. It came up on the Google image search and I was like, that is legitimately one of the hottest mugshots I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: She looks great.
Speaker 1: So now who's straight?
Speaker 4: Ryan?
Speaker 3: Gotcha? Gotcha? What? All right?
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for listening. We'll end it here and we'll bring it to the next new advice so we can do advice for each individual movie.
Speaker 2: Advice.
Speaker 1: All right, go ahead, go ahead, Ryan.
Speaker 6: I love this line. I think it's so nice if I can actually find it now. Drapes are people too, they just look different. Oh, there's a nice takeaway from the movie.
Speaker 5: I would say, don't listen to your friends. If you want a electric chair tattoo on your chest, you should get it.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 1: Is That is just solid advice all across the board. I would say mine would be my cry baby advice would be in a game of Chicken, be ready to die. That's how you have to go into it. Just go into it thinking if I die, I win. That's how I approach life and rafall. What is your crybaby advice?
Speaker 5: I think my would be that if you want to make sure that your parents are okay, put them into four different planes.
Speaker 1: That's true, That is true. Yep, very good advice. Well, thank you for listening. And one can say it gets much stranger from here, so it could be bad or good. It gets pretty dark and you know, we just did Henry Portrait of a serial Killer. So I think that people are not.
Speaker 3: If you guys are a great runway. In my opinion, I think that's what we have.
Speaker 1: Yeah uh, cry Baby was a palate cleanser. I would say in between courses and yeah, we'll catch you on the felicity flip