Speaker 1: Hey everybody, it's Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Giant BombCast, Episode eight hundred and fifty two, August sixth, twenty twenty four. Holy smokes, I am your host, jan Osho joining the co Captain of the ship.
Speaker 3: As always. The sides of his head look buzzed.
Speaker 2: And he's buzz right now because he's he's high off game news.
Speaker 3: Jeff Grubb, I'm huffing it.
Speaker 1: I'm dip dipping all the game news and a towel and I'm just putting over my face. Feels real good.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: Speaking about being dipped, he's dipped in the game juices, in the game sense because he's watch out if you invite him over your house, because he's gonna dip your whole house, all your furniture and game sense.
Speaker 2: Dan Record, it's more of.
Speaker 5: A spray than a dip really, although we did get some. There was some dip that happened at at the place.
Speaker 1: There was some dip, and I also dropped the game sense, so I think some spilled. Yeah, there's some.
Speaker 3: Spill it, some some dippage, some some.
Speaker 6: Hats flat ranch sauce everywhere, yeah, yeah, speaking about ranch sauce everywhere, speaking about dip everywhere, speaking about sense everywhere.
Speaker 2: We have the bad boy of games media from Game Speed, Mike Manadi.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm Mike. I'm real bad.
Speaker 2: Mike, Like I'm trying. You gotta show up to like the next thing is it? Maybe it's a Pax or something with like a leather vest.
Speaker 3: That sounds hot.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 7: Did have a very big like motorcycle, middle aged crisis thing though, so I definitely get a leather jacket though that part would be.
Speaker 2: You know how like some leather jackets like uh, like the Hells Angels people will have a Hell's Angel or whatever stitching on the back, Like yeah, you could have kuan Chi on the back of yours.
Speaker 1: That would rule.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it probably want something Disney would probably want one of those epicot logos or something.
Speaker 2: You could have both. What if it's like Quanche's face superimposed over Hell's Angels.
Speaker 1: Would never mess with you if they saw that, that's you would get murdered immediately, se nobody.
Speaker 7: My big going life is to not be messed with, and right now people do not mess with me. I don't think it's because they're intimidated, but whatever it is, I want to.
Speaker 5: Keep you going about comments you see about you. Oh, they complain about my mic.
Speaker 7: Those people are online though, and they saw me and they realize I'm not actually like five to two.
Speaker 8: They probably wouldn't say those things to my face.
Speaker 2: Mike, what do you think is your perceived height?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 7: I know people think I'm like five to five or something.
Speaker 1: Usually I think.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's been such a thing at this point now though that most people know I'm actually five eleven, So it's a fine, But people still seem pretty surprised.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: The word has spread. The rumors are out there, he's five eleven. Everybody, all the kids are talking about it.
Speaker 2: They've seen you in a Disney video of sorts, either on this website, in Max somewhere else.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it happens at this point.
Speaker 2: What do you suggest?
Speaker 5: Whenever I go to the doctor and they measure me, they always say him five ten and a half.
Speaker 3: And so when they asked me how call I am on things?
Speaker 5: Well, the thing is, I don't want to say five eleven because I don't want to seem like I'm over exaggerating. I also, five is understanding it like everybody has a round up privilege.
Speaker 1: Dan, it's okay, one digit one integer round up privilege is completely fine.
Speaker 3: Yes, but we need it, is the thing. I'm fine with it.
Speaker 1: It's easier just to say you're like five ten and a half. They would just round up to five eleven. Okay.
Speaker 7: I guess what if they needed to design a room for you, right, and to make sure it's just the perfect height. If you say five eleven, you have a little bit of space, little it's okay.
Speaker 8: But you say five ten and you don't fit. Oh no, eleven.
Speaker 2: Cramped and everything good?
Speaker 3: Point yeah.
Speaker 1: Now now I they're building you seat belts and like you say, you're five eleve and there's too much slack, you're gonna fly off into space.
Speaker 2: Right, so yeah, yeah, okay, fair well, Uh what about me? Sometimes when I put my hair, when I when I do my hair, it adds at least like three inches to my overall height. That should I should? I just measure from the top of my ear.
Speaker 1: No, you're not leaving your hair at home. It's you, that's part of you that counts.
Speaker 8: I could be even taller if I had hair.
Speaker 2: Yep, I'll give you. I'll give you someone mind.
Speaker 1: Mike.
Speaker 5: Okay, Mike, you should go to Turkey and do that to them.
Speaker 1: As well, because like I was talking about the the two pay lady, and then I think I told them a story about how like maybe Turkey was going to have Dan go out there. I don't notice that. Is that an offer on the table still.
Speaker 5: Like two or three years ago, And I don't even know if I responded, And they're like, I'm fine, shaved my head.
Speaker 1: Out, Okay.
Speaker 7: I think I could get at least half an inch of my inch if I fixed my plosture. There's that one photo of me from the trip. Everybody was photoshopping, but I hated that photo of me. It's fine, It's not your fault. Thank you for body shoudn't be No, it's you didn't mean.
Speaker 3: To woo a picture of you, I know.
Speaker 7: But like the turtleneck is out of control, like the my weird back hair is popping up from my bed.
Speaker 2: Back because I have back there. It's just your care Look, let me be secure about my appearance.
Speaker 1: Damn it.
Speaker 2: I tried to inject some positivity into this goddamn podcast.
Speaker 1: You guys.
Speaker 7: By the way, do you guys ever get anxious before like a big trip even once a couple of weeks out.
Speaker 5: Yes, you guys near two hours and twisters only thinking about my overseas flight, freaking out about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm looking forward to raw dogging the crap out of this flight. Oh my god, I think I'm already thinking about what I'm gonna think about later.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm doing the absolute.
Speaker 5: I got fucking x R glasses so I can lay down and just like be in a game the entire time, Like I got those x REAL glasses, just like plug into my Steam deck. I'm just gonna play SteamWorld Heist the entire fucking flight, hopefully. Helly, I forget that I'm on a plane.
Speaker 3: I don't mind the flight.
Speaker 7: I just hate like I gotta leave soon and I gotta get all these things done. And now that I like have the flights actually booked, I got to make sure Penny gets her boarding done, and.
Speaker 3: You know, and whenever I come back, it's a mess.
Speaker 7: I don't know why. My plumbing just does not like being used for a weeks. Whenever I come back, like my shower dream just doesn't work for a while, and then after it's like it like remembers, like, oh shit, he's back.
Speaker 2: Everybody the water's got to go down here down again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the little grimlins that live in the pipes are like, all right, start drinking the water again or whatever happens to that.
Speaker 2: Uh boys, Uh speaking about flights and trips, y'all. Some of y'all took a little little trip down to Ohio Tuesday Summer Slam, and we'll talk about Summer Slam proper on a power BombCast later this week. But I I want to I couldn't help but feel fomo.
Speaker 3: I won most of the games we played.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself.
Speaker 5: No, I t one against ever, I beat my Natti's pac Man score, and I beat him at Bertual Fighter despite the first thing we did when we got there. He's like, oh, who wants to get to school at Bertue Fighter? And I went up and I beat him.
Speaker 7: Okay, wait a second, it's you're just mixing in the lies of the truth so much I can't keep up. Yes, you beat me at Virtual Fighter, and then I beat you and pac Member. Then Jeff detroyed us and pac Man so hard I would be embarrassed to even mention.
Speaker 1: It was right after I got pin bowling. Were you beat me in pac Man. I didn't the first time you beat me, and then I beat your score. I got over twenty thousand, had seventeen thousand.
Speaker 8: Right, I don't remember that.
Speaker 3: If it's true, then.
Speaker 1: Okay, you watched me playing had given up.
Speaker 7: I think I may be left because I don't think I wasn't watching Dan play pack Man.
Speaker 5: No, we went back over there. It's not my fault. You weren't paying attention.
Speaker 1: I didn't lie, all right, then I choose to believe you all the points of either of them in pac Man.
Speaker 3: You a bowling, yes, bullying?
Speaker 1: It was pinballing. Can everyone beat be in that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well we have a Tyler one one so like you know, but I beat both of you, which is an important thing.
Speaker 1: And then we played bochi ball and me and Mike did team up for that and we pretty good seam. Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 2: What's bochie ball?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's the best.
Speaker 8: It's great Italian.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm just letting Mike go because it might go for it.
Speaker 3: It's like shuffle board but with little uh rollie balls.
Speaker 1: But my point of reference is curling. It's like curling, but on grass.
Speaker 5: And you can do it like a long like aisle in a bar like with like a grass like big grass surface, or you can do it outside and just go around like a house or a farm or whatever you want to do. But you can throw a tiny ball and then you got to call the balls to get close to Pauline. Yeah, it's I think it's like a Poulino.
Speaker 7: Look, I didn't want to get that Italian with you guys. All right, it was your first time.
Speaker 3: You throw the caravella and then you throw oh okay, okay, and and then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like if you're closer than the other team, you get that point, but then you have another. If you have another ball closer than the next ball from the the other team, you get two points. That sort of thing. And we were going to twenty one, and it was we had eighteen points and the other team was pretty far behind me at this point that you guys did, Dan and Tyler had about like nine, and we're, you know, about to win. Mike just has to like basically roll it in. He's done this a million times in the game. We would have won, and instead he did math bad and thought we had twenty one, we only had twenty, and he drops the ball, so we don't get that point turns rout. We won, and the other teams like Tyler's like, I think, isn't that just twenty And then I look at the spreadsheet we had and yeah, and then Mike was very embarrassed.
Speaker 5: But Mike also did it in the like super kind of flourish like ha ha, I'm just gonna throw it in front of me with yeah city boar.
Speaker 1: And then Dana Tyler almost came back and won. It was like they won the next.
Speaker 2: Several rounds and yeah, proper Olympians that I work with here. Wow, we played a hook game.
Speaker 5: We probably played soccer because I was telling Mike and Mary about the hook game night. Mary Well, Mary was like, wait, are you talking about ring toss. I was like, no, no, no, it's not ring toss. And she said, you're describing ring toss like it was something else, right, I.
Speaker 7: Mean rand new I think maybe sixteen bit invented it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I never seen this before.
Speaker 1: I mean you are tossing a ring. I ring toss is like trying to get on bottles, right, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was something on the ground like posts. You know, this is like a big ass like dartboard dart by with hooks. On it and you got to throw the rings out of the hooks.
Speaker 1: And has similar dart style rules where you're trying to get what we were trying to just and it showed up.
Speaker 8: It's hooky.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's hurkey Anyway, I was okay. Why that was another one we did best two at three. It was me and Mike versus Tyler and Dan as well and Tyler someone from the industry, everyone referencing Tyler. Hy Tyler, you were a lot of fun to hang out.
Speaker 2: Tyler uh.
Speaker 1: And we we won the first game and then we're doing the second game, and I think that's when I like got very locked in and started getting the highest score on every single throw and I just kept doing it, and Mike's like, wait, wait, wait, and I was so locked in I didn't stop and I had gone over and that was against the rules, so we had to actually sub act points from our score instead.
Speaker 3: So too well is too well?
Speaker 8: It's like, what did I say? It's like, you just keep on throwing.
Speaker 3: Keep on throwing.
Speaker 1: It really really popped me.
Speaker 2: And there was a soccer cage and yeah, shut your sixteen bit in the West side of Cleveland.
Speaker 5: Check it out, seriously, I've been to a bunch of barcades and stuff and updowns and all that, and like I love all of them, but like this is probably the best one I've been to, Like between all the different like bar games, the beer situation. The whole place is really like clean and sharply laid out and everything. Like the duck pin stuff downstairs. That place was awesome.
Speaker 1: The duppen to me, please, it's bowling, but the ball is smaller and there's more pins. Kids are on strings and it's you get more fre you get three rolls of frame. That's right. Yeah, so you have three roads. But it's very easy, like if you're throwing it too hard into like two like down the middle, I would just hit the two in the middle and it would just roll past all the rest.
Speaker 2: Is it closer to a ski ball type of size or.
Speaker 3: Scar bigger than that somewhere and shoot ball it's.
Speaker 1: About the size of a softball?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that was a lot of fun as well, And like I like began to understand what I needed to do, but like Tyler immediately was just getting it correct. It was like put a little bit of just a tiny touch on it so that it would cause more chaos, and I was just like he like heaving it down there and was not working at all. Remember, and if you're wondering why they didn't mention who won the soccer game, it's because I swept and that I said you undefeated.
Speaker 3: Okay, but that's true.
Speaker 1: That's true. Man.
Speaker 2: My biggest regret of SGF is us not going to a batting cage.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm really really wanted to go. I missed my flight, so I was like planning to go there that day when I landed, and then I was like, okay, well that dreams out the window.
Speaker 3: Should do that. Yeahah.
Speaker 1: Top golf as well.
Speaker 8: Is something I really like that fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get terrible at driving, but yeah, still good.
Speaker 1: Sure. We are so competitive, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: I would love to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, batting cage because like that was the part of baseball. Like I loved batting and I was pretty good at it. But I just was in terror all the time in the outfield, just like please don't it to me, Please don't care to me, because it's the panic of like okay, you got to kick the ball and then immediately figure out like okay, who's going to you know, second third, what's the situation. I would just kind of heave it and hope somebody would figure it out, or was like batting, I actually felt in control, you know, right, totally.
Speaker 2: I was the worst shortstop in Little League because I just kept backing up or getting too close, so I would avoid the ball completely. Went through two games never touching the ball, even though he was pivotal that I should.
Speaker 3: Remember.
Speaker 7: We went to Minati Liquors finally, we just like I'm a Minati and he did not care.
Speaker 5: As we walked in, I leaned over to grub and it was like he's going to say something to the guy about how saying that, yeah, you overlapped it, Like my name's Minati, Like okay, He's like.
Speaker 7: A lot of people here are and I was like, well they aren't back home. I think it's a pretty rare name.
Speaker 8: Personally.
Speaker 7: I want to, you know what, I should play? Google Minadi, Google Manati. Let's see who comes up first. Let's liquor store. Let's see if it's me.
Speaker 2: Damn it, well it's not you, and I google Manati putting it.
Speaker 3: On the goddamn wall, Mike Manatei's.
Speaker 5: Here, I'm checking with uh No, I google Manati and I get a furniture it's a sofa website, while.
Speaker 1: His personalized one is personalized to him. That's hanging on.
Speaker 5: If you sard Manati, you get a soapa thing, you get a wine and spirits thing. I think it's the place we went to. You get Minate London Instagram account, upholstered furniture. You're not on I'm scrolling down eBay listings. Philimenadi Philiminati MD.
Speaker 1: My favorite part of episode.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait wait wait, yeah you're not here, Mike. Yeah, Google, you're not even in the autocomplete.
Speaker 8: Google tulkodo Manati.
Speaker 3: No no no, no no no no no no.
Speaker 8: I think I come up sooner.
Speaker 5: We've got high school wrestlers named Mitch Manati from the high university Mitch Manati before you High University athletics, the wrestler.
Speaker 1: When the guy at the liquor store picked up the phone after you introduced it, you think he was like, maybe call the owner, be like we've got a Minati here. For a second, I was like, maybe that's what's happening. It wasn't.
Speaker 3: You got the obituary of Nancy Minati. You got Mike. I've seen like fifty listings and your name is not on here anything. Yeah, I'm on page two.
Speaker 7: My my Twitter accounts at the bottom of page two cognito tab.
Speaker 8: What what do you mean in cognito?
Speaker 3: Do you have your cookies activated on it?
Speaker 2: Oh you're saying that, yeah, yeah, yeah, no, but I still got to count this. Where are these other minates well opening liquor stores and sofa companies?
Speaker 5: Mike, you just search Reker. Oh yeah, it's all me. Cool, I'll shut the hell up.
Speaker 1: Mine is going to be fifty to fifty with me and the other Jeff.
Speaker 7: You're cheated by adding that tea to your name. It's not supposed to be there right now.
Speaker 1: It's going to be all Ryan Grubb. That's right.
Speaker 2: I'll concede. If you search Achoa, it is Germoa, the Mexican goalkeeper. So it's fine. We're cousins. We're not actually cousins.
Speaker 7: Uh Natti spot looks nice though, it's like Boots Furniture. It's very fancy. Follow them on Instagram.
Speaker 2: You don't even follow me, Mike, and you're gonna follow this.
Speaker 8: I don't really use Instagram, but this seems like a good reason too.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, never mind, if you search Grub on Google, I'm like the first thing on Twitter. Okay, Rub, it's like right after grub an associates.
Speaker 3: At least for me, it's all me, and then it's my dad. It's not great. Uh.
Speaker 2: The fourth result for me for grub is award winning fitness trainer, dance artist, and plant based health coach. That's just grub. Just wow, this man is flexible.
Speaker 1: Wow. I wish I'm flexible.
Speaker 2: You could be.
Speaker 1: I know, I got to get trouble that.
Speaker 3: I don't know that before we talk about games.
Speaker 2: The only thing that happened to me over the weekend besides having terrible shooting migraines. I'm taking any advice on for for for help.
Speaker 3: You're one of those headache hats, dan no.
Speaker 2: I I found like a YouTube playlist with like warbly water music, okay, to like relieve migraines, and then I just I'm hopped up on etcrin.
Speaker 5: You get one of those, it's a hat gimmick. It's filled with like Jael. You put it in the freezer and then you take it out and you just put it over your head. And some of them have like like basically like a sleep mask thing built in, so it's covering your eyes. Your whole fucking head's cold with ice. It feels great.
Speaker 2: I couldn't.
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, the cords I done, Dun, dun done.
Speaker 3: The sacrifice jams. Why does he know that? Is it in leelan stick or something foreigner?
Speaker 8: A few times?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I don't want anyone to be alarmed, all right. I know anytime that I talk about Las Vegas card games, anything resembling gambling, Pokemon cards, cards, anything involving money, everyone gets a little concerned about my well being. Don't be concerned everyone, But I've been invited to an underground Majong den in the Bay Area for shoot for shoot, cash games, cash games.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh dear.
Speaker 1: The list of things, the way you said it was one of the most concerning sentences I've ever heard. And then the punchline there was very good.
Speaker 3: Well that's okay, there's no punchline.
Speaker 2: This is the reality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, but sometimes reality lines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: I just happened to meet someone at like an art thing on Friday night and then they were like, hey, do you play majong by chance? And I'm like, yeah, I love Magong. And then they were they sent me a link to an underground not underground, but like a something that is being advertised as a Majong den and they said, like yo, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and then Saturdays are when like the high rollers come. I'm like, okay, well, i'll see you next Saturday.
Speaker 3: Have you seen the Deer Hunter?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Should should?
Speaker 3: I just I'm just talking about the Deer Hunter if anyone's seen it, so yeah, go on.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, anyway, yeah, yeah, so I'll report back hopefully.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then I looked up the Majong place and it's nothing but like blue neon lights and then like questionable tiles. So I'm kind of excited. Maybe it will be a good time and then I'll bring y'all to the Majong t.
Speaker 7: All right, I've never learned. It's like I play so many games that have a Majong mini game. I'm like, this time I'll learned, and then I don't.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like poker, kind of.
Speaker 7: More of a guy that's pretty good at an honorary Italian he was doing a lot of good shots.
Speaker 2: I hit up my grandma to help train me for this underground man.
Speaker 5: Well, let me ask a questions about Majong James, okay, because I I can't remember.
Speaker 3: I think it was a Windows had a Majeng game at one point, and it was.
Speaker 5: The tiles where it was like yeah, stacked up and you had to like match the two that the but like that's different than like okay, like yakaza. I would see like Jane like oh hell yeah, I love that old Windows game and then it was like whoa, this is totally different.
Speaker 2: Totally different. So majong against like three other people is kind of like poker where you're looking to fill like suits or hands. You want like three of a kind or like a sequence of tiles. But my grandma plays tiles down like she doesn't even look at her tiles. She just feels it with her hand and then oh shit, nine times out of ten she'll my grandma also hard of hearing. She'll feign like oh I'm old, I need help. As soon as the mojong tiles come out. This this lady is like scened.
Speaker 5: So is that like let's say you get dealt your cards and hold them like if you just do a bet or you just you know, call the blinds without even looking at them like going in blind? Is that the same concept kind of?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, wow, And like, man, I'm one hundred percent sure that she's the person that taught my dad how to count cards, but with Majong tiles anyway.
Speaker 8: Anyway, is it true that the Mogent tiles are made out of bones.
Speaker 1: Every one of them? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's true.
Speaker 2: I think that's a shoe, it's my great grandpa's bones.
Speaker 3: I think there were human bones, chicken.
Speaker 2: Bones or no, no, no, no, that's that's how the tiles get passed down on the fan.
Speaker 3: That's cool anyway, video games.
Speaker 7: I was gonna tell me it's not cool because animal I'm sorry. I don't condone it. They shouldn't do.
Speaker 1: That, like so exasperated with the woke Sorry.
Speaker 8: Christ Yeah, I'm so scared of the pizza with Death fans.
Speaker 2: They left the voicemail coming after.
Speaker 3: You make Yeah, I know they did.
Speaker 2: It's a very clear sounding one from.
Speaker 7: Yeah, some of you are really passionate about that water brand. That's okay, we don't have to talk about anymore. I saw some pictures of you with like with Death from the Weekend.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's well.
Speaker 7: I was there's that one night where I was just horribly dehydrated.
Speaker 3: I just like I just I guess.
Speaker 7: I just drank consistently throughout the day, and at the car ride back to my car, I think I almost died. I thought I was going to make it the Summer Slam, and if somebody had somebody had offered me a liquid deaf, then I would have absolutely had taken it.
Speaker 3: Sure, do you still have the gifts I gave you?
Speaker 7: Was the problematic DVDs DY and Bill Cosby's stand up special.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's somewhere. I think they're in my car still. Thanks Dan?
Speaker 2: Did you put on your plex?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: I got you a lot more than that. I got you that R two D two documentary that you already had.
Speaker 3: Ye, I already have this.
Speaker 1: That's mine now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That? Uh you got me mcgroober, that gets nice. Gremlins two, I got some good one.
Speaker 7: Wow, it has been a while since I've seen Gremlins two.
Speaker 1: Watched it? Yeah.
Speaker 7: I like that movie as a kid, and I never even saw Grimlin's one until probably six years ago. I'm like, this one's fine, but Gremlins too. There's cinema.
Speaker 2: Do you ever play the NYS game? Yeah, it's great soft fantastic music. Yep, good stuff. Okay, check out that ost In preparation for uh fighting my own demons at this Majong den, I've redownloaded a game called Majong Soul ben Pack and I used to have a small, short lived feature called Majong Mornings where him and I would learn how to play Majong together and then eventually embark on this quest to play Majong properly. Majong Soul is a gotcha style game. I think it recently re released on Steam, which is the reason why I re downloaded it, and it is it is exactly that you are playing against other folk, but it is all gotcha style in terms of characters in the set dressings of Majong. In terms of tutorialization learning how to play Majong, it's actually pretty good compared to some other Majong games out there. But if you do want to learn how to slap them tiles, I'd definitely recommend checking the tutorial for Majong Soul out. It's free to download and then rip that cord, immediately delete that off of your phone because I've been playing too much Majong again. It is it is taking over my life. I remember I started this year thinking I want to embark on my poker era, and Poker era has quickly diverted into Majong and it's bad.
Speaker 1: I wonder if I.
Speaker 7: Wonder what that is considered the best Majeong video game of all time. I like to watch a lot of YouTube videos where people were like, rapid fire a bunch of games, and they'll include Japanese releases. So there's always like a zillion mage on games that just never came out here. It's kind of hard for us to be like, well, this is the good Majong game, and this is the bad one.
Speaker 2: I've heard good things about the Final Fantasy fourteen ma song.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I try to see that's that's the last one. I was like, I'll learn this, and then I was like, don't know what's going on. I think it tried to teach me. I don't know what's going on there.
Speaker 3: Uh you heard about that Majong blotro thing.
Speaker 2: I was just about to talk.
Speaker 8: It seems like that's a game primed to be bilatrode.
Speaker 2: I checked out the demo. It's called out ten Joe. Sorry if I'm butchering that pronunciation. There is a demo out on steam of and it is a Bolotro, Like feels weird to say in the same year that Bolotro came out, so iconic already, so iconic already, and it is exactly that it has all the trappings of Bolotro, but is all Majong. They run you through how to properly make the hands and everything, but it is it isn't as snappy as Bolotro is, and you kind of have to have an existing knowledge of everything going on in Majong versus Bilochro. You can kind of get by just like matching collars, matching suits, and you can get by and blotro without knowing anything about poker. But in now Tenjo, at least right now in the early bits of it, it's doing the same thing where Okay, your multiple multiplier is based off of how many tiles you're playing, the type of suits that you're playing, whether you're it's a sequence of three matching three, whether or not you want your wind dragons, and every everything like that. It's okay, But also the art style is a little too simplistic to me. It's a little too uh, I missed the style of the steeze of Blatro.
Speaker 3: And this is just a demo, right It's not a full game yet. It's just a demo right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, you're right, I can see what you mean. It's like it seems more simple than Blacho, but it also looks a lot like buta like this.
Speaker 1: It looks like a Blotro like d make for Super Nintendo. That's all right, it's a little bit less of the riz. This one plan development after Blacho came.
Speaker 5: Yes, speaking of Bolotrom gambling, did you see what the creator Blatro said like seven hours ago? It looks like no, he said, Uh, I hate the thought of Blatro becoming a true gambling game so much that when I recently created my will, I stipulated that the Blatro IP may never be sold or licensed to any gambling company or casino.
Speaker 3: That's cool, will yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh man, yeah, imagine again. It would be a very dark day if I like walked into a casino and saw the Blattro licensed lot machine or something where your video poker machine. That would bum me out. So I'm glad that that is ALIGNE.
Speaker 2: Would bum you out if you saw me in front of the machine.
Speaker 1: More so, only because then I would sit down next to you and start playing as well.
Speaker 3: We would.
Speaker 1: It would be a deep dark hole.
Speaker 2: And then we could all get free massages while we're playing. Come on crab legs at the buffet. I like, I like like learning card games this way. There was that Cribbage with Grandpa's that I play on a mobile phone for a while, and it was like just this vehicle for teaching how to play cribbage, and you were just playing with a different grandpa all the time and you could improve. It was like, I like that idea, and I kind of wish I hadn't Majong with Grandma's or something like that. Just come over, okay there, my grandma will play with you. Oh look at you please. Yeah, you should be number one page on the Google results. Yeah, you're with that battle Come up them up starts.
Speaker 1: I don't know how to do that. Search for ANAI then the one with me on it. Join my web ring, yeah, join my goddamn webring.
Speaker 2: And use my odes code as I try and prepare for the heights of the century in this underground majong den Jeff Grubb, you have been embarking on a steam World heist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I started SteamWorld Heist too, and I did this on stream yesterday, and boy, it's just nailing everything it's going for you. You know what it is is this is the developer of steam World Dig two, one of the one of my favorite loops in any video game ever, where it's like you have a few abilities, use those abilities to go out into the world, you get a resources, take those resources back to your camp. Those resources can then enable you to have more tools to enable you to go further out in the world. There is something similar happening here where it's like you are going to have a certain amount of tools as your characters in this side scrolling xcom game. Is how I've been describing it. It's like it's steam World Heights. If anyone's played that, it's mostly the exact same thing here. There's a little bit more going on, but it is very much about like, hey, here's some really great tactics here is uh, you know, you should be looking at your enemy's HP and then you should be planning everything around that, like, oh, okay, my character can get guaranteed three damage on this if I use this ability, and then that one can if he runs up and he gets a kill, he can then immediately do another shot, so I'm trying to plan to do maximum maximum damage and all that feels great. And then you get resources and you go back in your submarine and you can improve your submarine, which enables you to explore more of the like the overworld map in real time, and that loop is already just satisfying out of the gate, so it has clicked with me immediately.
Speaker 5: The thing is too, It's like there are a lot of systems and depth to this game, and I hate it when a game like you feel like you're just in tutorials for like hours before you're really let loose. This really kind of like parses them out. Like you're having fun from the very beginning, even if you don't know every system, and the way it teaches every one of them is just very simple and efficient and like it's not like a complicated thing, even though there's like multiple you know, currencies and stuff like, oh, these are gallons and these are these gyms, and these are these bounties and things like. It does such a great job explaining it without just feeling like everything grinds to a halt.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 5: It's fun from the beginning and then like once you do kind of like you understand everything and you're just in the loop. Oh man, every element of it, like like you said, yeah, that loop of like the tail one is fantastic. And it's got that real time stuff too. If you're actually aiming and trying to ricochet shots and seeing you know, I'm gonna activate this thing so I have less away and I can see the full line of where my sniper shot is going to go every moment. This game has been so satisfying to me, and I think it's going to be a perfect playing game.
Speaker 1: Yes absolutely. I'm like I was intimidated first. I said this elsewhere that when I was at Summer Game Fest and they were like, here's a leader, say this is about thirty hours in. I'm like, man, that's so much for a game like this. But I can now easily see myself getting lost in a lot of it. I don't know if I'm gonna if I'll beat it. There is a point where I imagine I'm like, Okay, I get it, and I'll let me do some of these fun levels. That's great, but there's a chance and either way, I'm enjoying myself quite a bit right now with this game at the beginning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I continue to love what they do was Steam World, even if like not every like I don't love every one of them, and I love Dig, I love Heist. I like Quest a lot more than expect. I didn't love the sold one, you know, but like, I love the fact that they take these swings and like the ones that hit. You know, they do sequels too, and I'm glad we got a Heist too. I'm glad we got a dig too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They they are doing really really cool stuff over there.
Speaker 1: And it's got a job system and I'm like, just every time there's a job system in a game, I'm like, yes, this is you. You get it, you understand, like what makes me crave to get to that next thing. So I just I'm gonna prove this character and I'll take these attributes that I reallyate from this job into the next thing when I switch up weapons and change jobs again, it's awesome.
Speaker 2: Is there a genre you want the steam World crew to tackle?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sorry, yes, and like the Haiti style.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, just they took a second to register what he said. Sorry, Mike.
Speaker 2: Late last night, I was like, oh, he's just no selling. That's no forgot me.
Speaker 7: Like I would like a Hates like Diaebol style, like top down action RPG.
Speaker 8: I think that'd be fun.
Speaker 1: That'd be fun.
Speaker 2: Yep, I out of left field here, but I would like no, no, no, no, no, no, no, Mike, I would like the SteamWorld crew to tackle a Muso game. Oh wow, that'd be incredible, like a little robot bits flying all over the place.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean we haven't seen them do anything like polygonal yet, you know, it's all been kind of that hand dry.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I couldn't mind that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I want all these developers to eventually make an N sixty four inspired game. And that sounds like that's what shovel Night. What's what's happening with shovel Knight with Yaclub Games? And I hope all these developers do X. I love that. I love anytime it Indie to Studio goes from making two D games to making a sort of spiritual successor that feels like it would have came out on the X console.
Speaker 5: It's kind of like what they did with the Messenger were in one game you had the eight bit and the sixteen bit version.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that stuff rules. Yeah, that's good ship. It's good ship, Jeff Grob. I also see here that you've been going on all guns blazing in Signy, All guns Blazing.
Speaker 1: So this is one that I started playing last night. I'm like, I want to have a few extra things to talk about on the BombCast. And I saw, actually me and Dan were listening to the next night there's a Plan Rama episode on the way to the airport, and they mentioned it there and then Dan looked it up and it's like, oh, that looks like it's what's a student.
Speaker 3: Looks like a Housemark game? Sartially, Yeah, yes.
Speaker 1: And it's and there's definitely a lot of inspiration there. What I think the easiest way for you to explain why it has clicked with me is it is what if all of the sort of thinking about the way shooting works that happened in Doom twenty sixteen was applied to a shoot him up? It feels like the Doom twenty sixteen of shoot him up? So you are yeah, uh.
Speaker 2: Signy sounds like an old like Mac game I used to play in computer Lab.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the name does have sort of a familiar ring to it. And I'm like, I can't place it exactly, but.
Speaker 3: Uh, basically it is.
Speaker 1: It's a bullet hell shooter and you are your little ship. But the way that it deals with health and firing is that you have an energy system where you could put energy into your shields or into your weapons, and you control that with the left and right bumper. To go left, you're gonna have more shields, if you go right, you're gonna have You're gonna do more damage with your weapons. I'll say that the sound design on that when you were putting more energy into your weapons, the sound of the impact of the bullets sounds so much better. So it satisfying kind of makes you want to take that risk and the risk reward.
Speaker 3: But the.
Speaker 1: So as you're taking hits and you're kind of it's gonna be kind of unavoidable to take hits in some circumstances, you're gonna try to minimize that, but you are gonna want to go from energy cell to energy sell as that these enemies drop as you're fighting them. So it's like, Okay, I took a little bit of damage, but if I can go get that energy, I could put more energy back into my shields and survive the next encounter. And once I started got that loop this game just immediately was like, oh my god, this feels so good. So I am really into what they're doing here. I'm still pretty early. The levels are very long, but I am on it. I'm operating on its wavelength now, and I was like, oh, this feels fantastic. So yea, I'm gonna be playing a lot more Sydney. You plan on a Steam Deck, Yeah, steam Deck runs great. Okay, it runs really great. The music is excellence. Got this like operatic score and stuff like that that makes all the action feel very cinematic.
Speaker 7: So I was gonna ask because like, I've looked this up on Steam and like the user reviews are mixed, and one of the things I saw was like the music doesn't fit at all. And I think most people are just complaining about the price. It's thirty dollars and they're saying, oh, it's very pretty, but I don't know I worth it.
Speaker 1: I think it's going to have a very tough first impression because you need to do the tutorial, and even then you're not I don't think it's going to be very easy to understand exactly that you need to be willing to take shots, and that's not really how bull hell shooters have worked. You are supposed to try to avoid damage as much as possible in those games, and so I think you need to kind of get over a little hump. And my first impression was like, this is frustrating, I'm gonna bounce and so it it took me a minute to get over that. But now that I am, I don't know. Now that I'm with it, I feel like this game is doing some cool, interesting new stuff in this genre in the way that, like, you know, the Streets of Rage four and stuff did new stuff for for beat them ups and stuff like that. I'm like, I'm feeling very similar to this.
Speaker 2: And when's the last time y'all were interested in a schmup? I hate using that word, but.
Speaker 1: I want to be them. I want to be more interested, more frequently, and this feels like this is the one that's going.
Speaker 3: To get me. Do you count many shoot adventures that is different and that's.
Speaker 1: Such a I mean, listen, that's a good idea, like a good twist in a different direction for this, but yeah, this is still just in that shooter shoot them up genre is.
Speaker 2: Like a bullet hell different than a shoot them up.
Speaker 3: Or it's like a Yeah.
Speaker 7: I had a weird like kind of schmup phase I think last year, just like going through some old retro ones, like I was playing stuff like our type and grattiest that I ever really played before.
Speaker 3: Oh freaking thunder Force four.
Speaker 1: Squadron. Good.
Speaker 7: Yes, I've been keep waiting from the ADU and Squadron to Superintendent n s O and they just won't the cowards. Yeah, I kind of have beinach up moods. I've I've downloaded Radiant Silver Gun on my switch and I haven't played it yet one too, so.
Speaker 1: Yep, I think for for shoot it's probably going all the way back to Ikaruga when it was like really from my frobbing demand for this game increases and all that. And then since it's like I've kind of been waiting for that next moment for the genre to evolve, and for me, I feel like it's mostly here with this, so I'm very excited about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm not not to invoke the Hades model, but like, man add that ship to a roguelike.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, and there is some Hades here as well. Where it just does feel like you are don't be so afraid of attacks. Maybe sometimes you can use that to your advantage and kind of just running at the action. That's very doom. But also that's how I felt about Hades after a while too.
Speaker 2: Yes, Near Automata maybe the last schmup sart of it.
Speaker 8: It was a little disciplined because like that first level has a lot of schmup like elements, and that stuff kind of gets deemphasized pretty quickly as you get further into that game.
Speaker 3: Maternal kind of felt like it at times, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. Yeah, that's like that was like New Robotron.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, God, I love the game well, going from painting the screen with bullets to painting the screen. Dan, you've been playing.
Speaker 3: It, Yeah, I just started that.
Speaker 5: Mary basically evoked the name of Powerwash Simulator, which I absolutely loved. It is one of the best, like make time melt away games I've ever played. Yeah, and it's like the reverse of that. Instead of cleaning things up, you're like going into an area and it's totally just black and white. Kind of reminded me of like the Unfinished Swan if you remember that and you're just kind of like painting over things, but it's not super specific where it's like you don't have to like, oh, I'm picking green for the tree. I'm just you just pointed things and hold rt basically and pant over it and things fill in and you don't have to like pixel hunt and get every last thing to fill it in. It just kind of pops after you get most of it. But then yeah, you you were also kind of like putting together like an apartment you're renting. And as you create or as you paint objects, you can use them in paintings that you can then sell to a like cafe and put them on auction, and people will have like requests like oh I want this type of painting or whatever, and it's like, okay, well I've got those items that I've painted and I can put that together. So like it's a weird mix of things. It's not just the like powerwash thing of like oh, I'm just trying to paint everything here. It's also this like I kind of have this like Mario paint, you know, slapping stickers on and painting things the way I want to. It's I'm early on in it, but somewhere. It's been fun. It's got a cool art style, and the painting itself feels very satisfying.
Speaker 2: How French is it?
Speaker 3: It seems pretty French?
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, that may that may skew folks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'd ask Mike Mahardi, but it'd be like a forty minute thing about wine if I evoke France.
Speaker 2: So yeah, when do you think of, Mike Mahardy? Do you think of a red wine or a white wine?
Speaker 5: Immediately right, I think of trying to change the topic away from wine and quickly.
Speaker 2: Uh, Jeff Grub, you put on you put on the list here?
Speaker 3: Old school rally? Yeah, old school rally.
Speaker 1: This is when I was looking forward to definitely having a racing game sort of mood right now. A big part of that, like I's always talking about like Ridge Racer and stuff like that. I'm like, yeah, the Bridge race. But also that always makes me think of a time when I was super into Sega Rally Championship, especially in the arcade. I didn't play it at home too much, but whenever I would go to the arcade, play Saga Rally Championship. In Saga Rally Championship too. I really like the way those games feel like they just kind of nailed it right away, and old school Rally is trying to be exactly that, and to the point where it's even has the appearance and presentation of an older Sega Arcade game in terms of the graphic graphical fidelity and like the CRT filter that they put on top. They're trying to look like that. And it is one of those where, Okay, a spiritual successor from an indie studio, is it going to be able to capture that feeling? Because why get that close if you're not going to be if you're not going to go all the way, and if you don't get all the way, all those little tiny differences can really add up, and you know, it's a the Uncanny Valley at a certain point where like you really feel the difference is when it's close but not quite close enough.
Speaker 3: This one is right.
Speaker 1: On the borderline for me of being close enough. And I think part of that is, like I am I need to pick the right vehicle. I had to pick the third one which has the best braking and handling, and when I did that, the power slides, which is you know this sliding in a rally game or in rally racing. I want that to feel really sharp and really snappy, and it does with that car. For the most part, it's still not to me. It still doesn't feel qui as good as Sega Rally Championship, but it's pretty close and it looks great and looks right on like what they're what they were going for. They accomplished, but it's another one. I was like, I think you need to play a little bit longer. And when I do that, the question is am I going to come back this game ever? Or am I going to just do what I always do and then go back and keep playing Saga Rally Championship on my Steam deck or something, And that's probably what's gonna happen.
Speaker 5: I am looking at these screenshots and it looks exactly like like boxy ass cars, Like this is what you want, Yeah, Sega Rally Championship. Is that just something you're emulating or is that on Steam proper?
Speaker 1: That's that's something I was emulating. I emulated the PS two version, which I think is the best home release of that, and that runs really well on.
Speaker 3: STAT sixty frame second, didn't it? I remember that? Yes, looking real smooth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks. It looks great, you know, because they were they struggled to get the sixty on the Dreamcast. That's the big knock against that, and so when they got to the PS two, they did a really good job on that conversion, and it's it's fantastic. It's it's just the arcade game. So you're gonna have to get good at those tracks because it's like, hey, we want you to put more money in. It's like, well, I own this game. Can I just beat this race? It's like no, You've got to figure out every little trick to actually beat all the courses when you're playing that at home. But it's still Saga Rally Championship and it feels real good.
Speaker 2: Grab personal question for you here, please, I consider you a big driving man. You like it like being behind the wheel. When it comes to playing an arcade racing game and you get the wheel in front of you, are you still picking auto or are you going manual for transmission?
Speaker 1: It depends when I really get into a game. I'll go manual. When I'm first starting out, I usually just stick with auto. Now if it's a driving game and not a racing game, like so the snow Runners of the world. I'll do that in manual. Okay, Like there is like times where it's like it just makes more sense to keep this in auto. But having the option to like actually get out my stick shift, which I you know, I have and use that, I want to take advantage of that. And when it's not like, oh this is about power and about like dragging stuff up a hill, I want to be able to control the gears a little bit because you know, lower gear, more power, more torque, things like that. So I want to be able to have full control over that. And it's fun to like get in that. In a racing game, it's more like, okay, am I in the right gear for this this turn? I don't know, I've never really driven on this track before, so it's a little bit more complicated, so it takes a little bit more time.
Speaker 7: Speaking of Ridge Racer, Jeff, I know you've been doing that real deep domestication about the future that franchise. I haven't asked you about a while. I wanted to let you cook, but this may be is an appropriate time to see if you have anything that you are I'm just willing to share with us at this moment.
Speaker 1: I've just lost a tail the other night. I'm pretty sure it was sent by Bandy Namco. So I'm just trying to lay low. I'm just a little bit worried right now, Mike, So I'm afraid to say anything publicly, but I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can.
Speaker 7: But we'll try to stay safe, but also maybe put your life on the line a little bit so we can learn about Ridge Racer, you know, I will.
Speaker 8: How many cat shines are in it, That's what that series needs.
Speaker 2: Speaking about going old school, Mike Minatti, you've been playing a couple older games, starting with Dark Souls.
Speaker 8: I beat Dark Souls.
Speaker 7: Finish that one up over the weekend, which that was my first time playing that game. Playing through that game, everyone still talks about it very fondly. Even with all these sequels and spiritual successors. You know, I really enjoyed Er Tree, and I still kind of had an appetite to play one of these games. So going back to it with that, you know that that remastered edition, right, so some things are smoothed out.
Speaker 3: The game runs really well.
Speaker 7: Playing on Steam, it was great, right, Yeah, everybody's right. That is still just fantastic game, really satisfying map. Right, it's obviously not that open world style like an Elterer ring the connected world type. Right, the connected world we're kind of loops around itself, right, like like like a Metroid vane. Yet now I don't like a Metroid venue. You don't have like super fun, amazing movement. That makes some of the backtracking stuff more interesting. What makes it interesting is that you are still kind of clawing your way through things, and then when you go back to an old area, you're just so much stronger than you were that first time, right, that it's fun to just kind of like you know, ropper stomp your way through these enemies that used to give you trouble.
Speaker 1: I tuned.
Speaker 2: I tuned into one of your streams when you're playing Dark Souls Mike and your your character. You were not under selling it. Your character was big.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like to.
Speaker 7: Play these games, it seemed like, and Dark Souls one, it just happens to be.
Speaker 3: It's a really btty strong way to do it.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I just was wearing Havel's armor it was called, and I went back and forth between this great sword that actually got us a pretty early drop from some enemy, and as I use it a lot. I also got this giant dragon's tooth that was like a giant like club hammer, so I used that a lot as well. And then like a big heavy shield. So I'm not much of a rollie boy in these games. I'm more of a shield guy. And then that's usually wors for me. Yeah, like that worked pretty well. I never had. You know, there's some difficult bosses. There's maybe a few that took me several tries, but generally I got I got most bosses, like within the first few trees.
Speaker 1: We talked about this, like you have such an advantage coming from a shadow of their tree.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, it was a little bit kind of like, yeah, I was playing with weights on before and I took them off, like, you know, because like the are earlier soul scared. It's kind of fine. Like people thought that this was the hardest thing in the world at a plane, and now you get to these archery bosses and it's a very different level, you know, Like even the final boss it was almost it was fun, but it was almost anti clemactic. Like his big scary thing was that he had a four hit combo string. At some point, right he was still like just one phase and I was like, ah, this isn't too bad. The OLC bosses were definitely the ones that came the closest. You're feeling a bit more kind of what I'm used to an elder ring effort. Some people say they feel like dark Souls three bosses, right, you can kind of see them maybe getting a little trickier with that stuff, and any time where you have to fight more than one thing that is still always difficult. Like the boss I struggled to most with was pretty early on when I had to fight these two gargoyles on top of some roofs somewhere, just because it was two of them. It was relatively early in the game, so I didn't have an amazing kit like late later. The famous SPOS fight I think is Orenstein and Smog, which is a similar thing. There's two of them, so that you know. That took maybe five tries, but it was difficult and I was really focused. Even if bosses didn't necessarily take a ton of tries. There was this dragon and the kind of expansion area, right, it still was like, oh, I'm like really focused. I really do have to kind of zone in there, and that's what feels good. Is like having to really zone in it, be careful and play smart to be able to succeed.
Speaker 2: I saw I tuned in for those streams. You were definitely locked in.
Speaker 3: Yep, I was locked in.
Speaker 1: Baby.
Speaker 7: What I don't like, and it's something that they did fix in later games, is the obnoxious walk backs you have to do when you die to a boss. Right, we don't have stakes America. The bonfires aren't as generous, so it's like, okay, I need to walk all the way back to where that boss was, and there's enemies and you know on the way, like you're gonna fight and try to run past them and hope they don't hit you. So and again, like even if you just die a couple of times, it's just annoying to backtrack. Usually I'm a defender of backtracking, excuse me and metroid Vanez, because it's like, well, you know, we have fun movement and maybe you missed some hidden things here, but this really is just backtracking for the sink of backtracking, just doing a familiar route for there's no tension because it's at that point like if I lose those souls whatever, I don't even care anymore, I would pay those souls just to teleport to the boss. At this point, what's the plan next for from Yeah, so you know I'll play there's something else right now. I do think I kind of just want to check out the other Dark Souls games. Like I was almost hesitant to do Dark Souls too, because I know it's kind of the like one people are split on.
Speaker 8: Some people are like.
Speaker 7: Oh, that's not as good and me as Zaki wasn't involved or whatever. But then I had enough people to defend it where I am just curious. And it's also like Basil play them all, I guess, so exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited about that. That's great.
Speaker 2: I've been having the age to go back to Bloodborne, and it's not just because Dan's best friend Kyson that is digging back into it, but like getting the urge again.
Speaker 7: You see it, Andy, I kind of funny didn't spend what like sixteen hundred dollars on some odd position four that plays it at sixty fps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna bust out the PS four and do it.
Speaker 8: PSU scrub.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with that.
Speaker 1: Cinema just you're non frame smoothing motion smoothily on your TV.
Speaker 3: Oh god, Oh you can play it on a PS five right, Yes, there you go.
Speaker 2: I don't have to dig out the PS four.
Speaker 3: Then I went to as well.
Speaker 5: I feel like when I played that, that was the first from game I beat, and like now thanks to elden Ring and stud I would probably go back to it.
Speaker 2: But we're stronger now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think absolutely.
Speaker 1: Beating Armcord six, then Shadow the ar Tree and so okay, I can pretty much handle anything they do.
Speaker 2: Now, what was your build Dan when you played Bloodborne? Oh, I don't if you remember.
Speaker 7: Oh no, I remember blood Borne, Like your build ouptions aren't quite as real, but like there's different weapons. Sure, I don't remember, like this, what the shield situation was, Like I think, you boy, I don't think. So they get to be a roller so weird, like Perry gun with a gun. Everybody did gun Perry's and then you just kind of attack them with some I think I just used whatever sword they gave me.
Speaker 1: I used the cane for a long time and it was fun, but then I think I also maybe stuck with it too long, and that's what made me fall off, because I'm like, I feel like i'm.
Speaker 7: That's why I didn't like blood with as much as other people, because I didn't get to have a shield. I just really like having a shield in these Yeah, got worry about Zecro also because you're gonna have to perry ye right, Like you know, I'm sure I'll do fine, but get the Perry mechanic is in Dark Souls, right, And I like messed around for in the beginning a little bit.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, I'm not gonna do that. I'm just going to block them and then hit them.
Speaker 1: This is like not a novel thing. Lots of Frum fans have gone through this exact arc that you're in, Mike, where they're like, I love Dark Souls, but I did play with the sword and shield, and I'm I don't want to engage with the Perry system. You're not necessarily saying that, but I've heard a lot of people like, no, I don't want to learn to perry, and then they go play pecro, they get over that hump, and then they end up loving it. So you're gonna jump in there. You'll you'll figure it out. It'll be maybe I.
Speaker 7: Should force myself to do like a Dex build and Dark Souls two or something.
Speaker 3: Not magic.
Speaker 8: I'm not a loser, but maybe a DEX build.
Speaker 2: You're a real man, you don't magic, that's right.
Speaker 3: Uh you?
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: It looks like you've continued down the old school train, and it pains me inside to say this game considered old school now. But Mike, you've also checked out Beyond Good and Evil.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So, Jeff and I have a game club over and the game that's Discord. This is our pick because that twentieth anniversary edition came out not too long ago, so got remastered. It's right cause I've started this game a couple of times and always liked it and then fall off for one reason or another.
Speaker 8: So I went back to this. I don't know what it is because again I played this game before.
Speaker 7: I am so impressed with one this remaster, like how good a job it is, but just too how good this game is and still feels how smart it is. It is so good at just getting going and like a ablishing an interesting world and characters about being boring right, like it's like whoa who is this? Like this woman and this pig person? Why are they friends? And what do they do? It's like, don't worry about it. You'll find out right and like you know, they're they're just like they have a rapport and they like like each other. And it's immediately like you know, endearing. It's the back to the Future thing, right, It's literally like my god.
Speaker 1: I literally was having this conversation. We were watching that this past weekend and me and stuff are talking about like, don't explain it because the anti gonna be unsatisfactory, like, but just we just get that they're friends, the old man and the kid. It's fine.
Speaker 7: It's great, Like immediately, like the first time seconds like aliens like like landing pods and the orphanage or something, you're wrong. You're like, I gotta you start fighting them. Immediately it's like I get it. We're at war, we're being invaded. Great, and it just goes. But even like it just the game feels so smooth because it's a Zelda like it's kind of more of an automatic Z targeting thing where you don't push a button, but Jay will kind of orient herself to like whoever's near or your sort of attacking and there's the way it automatically like has different animations. You decide to attack somebody who's behind you again. It just looks really smooth. The world is very pretty and interesting. It's kind of futuristic, kind of Italian.
Speaker 1: Or something like.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 7: It just is it's real ambitious for a game from that era in a way that still seems very impressive.
Speaker 8: The writing's good.
Speaker 7: Oh and like very early on you get this camera mechanic, so like the game's kind of also Pokemon Snapper. It's like, take a picture. I have every living creature and you get like progression items from that, and I.
Speaker 8: Love that shit.
Speaker 7: It's like every time I see some new weird I'm like, I gotta take your picture real quick.
Speaker 8: Even boss fights real quick. Take the picture.
Speaker 7: It's like works into your character where you're kind of this freelance journalist man. Again, it's like, I know he played this before, I know I liked it reason, but play just now. I'm like this, man, this game does rule and the remaster is great. It just yeah, it's like what you kind of remember that game looking like it's just running really well. It had a great art style anyway, so it still looks good. But it's just you know, upreds super smooth Boy just kind of having a shockingly good time with this.
Speaker 5: Have You're making me want to replay this because the only time I played it was when they first re released it on XBLA and like twenty nine, twenty ten. I was like, you know what, I always heard people saying good things about it eight years ago or whatever when it came out and I tried it and it held up really well. Then that first re release, which I think it was just kind of like an HD you know, upgrade or whatever. Yeah, yeah, this sounds like more you know, more involved, And now I.
Speaker 2: Think I want to play it again, right, I'm so curious actually to like because again, like you know, it's been a while since I played that original I think I did play that Xbox Live Arcade Version two.
Speaker 7: I'm like, just how much of this is the original? How much of this is the remaster? Because this, again, it feels so good to play right now, and I'm pretty sure it felt good to play back then too, but gosh, just just kudos to that team just playing. I'm like, man, maybe this is all I really need from Prince of Persia Ubi saf Maybe I don't need a full on remake, because this, this right here is about as good a remaster job of a sort of GameCube PS two era game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't need to make a sense of time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I kind of got mad thinking about rock Stars GTA three trilogy remasters. It's like, man, you guys are fucking rock Star and that shit was fathetic. And here's like the Ubisoft Beyond Good and Evil remaster and it's gorgeous, Like what the hell?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean even that Star Wars Bounty Hunter game where I was playing, like they nailed that remaster recently, Well looked good. This looks really good. I think a game always had a pretty decent art style, but I went back and looked at some of the old game play. Now it was pretty old compared to what they did with this remaster. So you can do a good job with this stuff. And most of those games, especially from that era and on just fine.
Speaker 2: I don't know why you waxing poetically about Beyond Good and Evil mic makes me want to play dark Cloud two. Oh, cameras, cameras, Okay, there's a bunch of level fi like that Rogue out say.
Speaker 7: I wish would get like Big Boy remasters, Like if Dark Cloud two got a remaster like this Holy Ship, that would be awesome and they should.
Speaker 8: They just should do that at some point.
Speaker 3: And then they should make Dark Cloud three.
Speaker 8: They should do it.
Speaker 7: The other thing it kind of made me think, is, uh, you know, beyond good and evil to write like, apparently it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't mean to be it. You should just should just be this.
Speaker 7: It doesn't need to be some weird made up spaceship like spoor Thing or whatever they were doing. I don't know, Just make another one of these set afterwards, like like, not a prequel again, because the prequel thing is stupid, because I do just love how this game just throws me in there and I, through context, pick up everything I need to know about these characters in this world, and yeah, I learn more as I play, but that's fun.
Speaker 8: I don't need to like go see like.
Speaker 7: The Origin of Jade, where maybe she was brainwashing to being evil and dumb, dumb dumb.
Speaker 2: That original team has got to be scattered to the wins at this point, right, yeah, mostly probably I.
Speaker 8: Have no idea what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Because like who is that think was this this was was Jordan? Okay, yes, Michelle, and okay this is the ray Man guy, right, but like that actual team is like the team that did Prince of Persia, so that Beyond Good and Evil team has been something else for a while now, and I'm sure that they've had a ton of turnover, and like Antel himself is not there anymore.
Speaker 7: He left and apparently it's a bit of a problem, so yeah, yeah, allegedly talks allegedly yeah toxic. So I don't know what's going on with that, But you don't need to like try to make the biggest big game ever and have it be you know, as much as I'm liking this game and I see o thing I'm thinking about, it's baffling. This game wasn't a hit at the time because it didn't sell very well. I assume because of bad marketing, and I assume because there was a time where every buddy did want mature em erated, you know, for you know, grungey games. Right, So it's just kind of weird to be like, well, we're finally going to make the sequel Being Good Evil Too, but the only way we're going to justify it is by trying to make it the most ambitious weird thing ever.
Speaker 3: Wasn't that the one they were trying to like crowdsource the art where it's like, yeah, hit record. Yeah, oh wow, is that already Yeah?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, baby, Kaepernick's going to get involved that with his weird AI comic book.
Speaker 2: I tried taking a picture with Colin Kaepernick at the Fandom Comic Con party and then he was like scan my shirt for the QR code, and I'm like, I'm okay, Colin, I don't.
Speaker 1: Want to scan you. Caepernick is Beyond Good and Evil the best game inspired by Ocker enough time. That's not a Zelda game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, trying to think about it, you know, because like I don't know, but I've been having a bit of an old man moment getting upset about people not like being like I don't mostly from listening to fire Escape because you've been getting a couple of emos like oh I played off grand doesn't hold up?
Speaker 8: Like what does hold up mean?
Speaker 7: Saying something doesn't hold up means that you think games are inherently better now than they used to be. And I'm not trying to be like games were better back in the day. I think that they're good in both ways. So like, don't just say something doesn't hold up? Tell me why, but like because some things were better back then, like companies could make Zoda likes. Nobody really makes games that are like the old three D Zelda games. We have some indie things. We had, uh what what was that game that was an indie game that PlayStation published something with a K.
Speaker 1: We were just talking about the Bridge of Spirits, right.
Speaker 8: And that was nice, that was cool. Wasn't as good as Beyond Good and Evil? Right?
Speaker 7: Dark Siders, like dark Siders is the other one, and then that doesn't you know anymore? And then dark Siders three nobody, I don't know people cared that much. Yeah, So, like you know, Okami is one that people talk about a lot, and that's another that's one that should also get a remaster like this that would be fanatic.
Speaker 2: God, I don't, but I think I like this.
Speaker 3: I think this is my favorite of all of the Zelda likes out there.
Speaker 2: I would put comedy up there on my my personal list.
Speaker 7: Okammy, I have a Samil thing what Jeff was talking about with Steam World Heist too, where I always like a comedy and people are like, yeah, this game is three times longer than you think it's gonna be. Yeah, and I'm like, hmm, it takes a long time to get move into. There was like a lot of right, So it's an antipe on good and evil there, right, Yes, yes, it was the PS two era where we were getting that problem with games having these kind of obnoxiously long starts.
Speaker 5: So yeah, which, by the way, speaking of that, I'm watching my sister Cayla play through Middle of Your Solid the series for the first time, and she's doing the first one, and I've watched all of her VODs from the first one, and man, I forgot how talky that series is. It is seriously like, oh, you walk into the Agat. I mean, I always knew it was talking, but like, you know, she's listening to all the Codex and everything. Man, you walk into that room for the Ocelot fight and the Armstec President and then the stuff after Great Box with Audicon, and it's like the slow pad, Okay, do we get to play Nope, fade back into like a Manhattan Project b roll. You know, it's like my dad was part of you know, it's oh my god, like and I watched her stream and a lot of people in chatter like I can't believe Dan likes this, and Kayla's like, yeah, this is really really talking.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is.
Speaker 2: It's just cool.
Speaker 7: It was novel a lot of time, and it's done very well, I guess, right, and so, and then once you're invested in the game in the series, you're just invested. So all that talking stuff is exciting because oh, maybe I'm gonna maybe this is where I'm going to learn more about late Ladies on fonts tender.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean part of me is I think I just liked it more because it was so many in game cut scenes and they looked so cool. It's such a strong style that I was like, this is novel.
Speaker 5: That's what blew me away with like you know, middle of your Solid two where it's like you could zoom in and move the camera around during the cut scenes and stuff. We're like, holy shit, I'm so used to just fade to super pre rendered thing that if I hit anything on this controller, it's skipping the cut scene. Like yeah, not to go to metal your tainting, but uh yeah, it's no talking, you're allowed.
Speaker 1: I keep thinking about replaying, not getting into the.
Speaker 2: Rest of the series, not to spoil the emails uh segment later, but someone suggested a connectivity Compadre's reboot or the four of Us check out Metal Gear, Solid Peacewalker.
Speaker 1: I guess I never really thought about the cooperative in that how does that work?
Speaker 5: That's what I be I am not Peacewalker. I think I started it and then fell off because I hate the PSP. Like my understanding is it was just for like boss fights, like and I think it was doing like individual mission things the way that like I got used to with like Fan of Pain. But I think at the time I was like, what the fucke's like these? Like it was more like Monster Hunter than I think I was prepared for when I started it, you know, but I don't know if they're all mission.
Speaker 2: Whatever, so everything could be co op I forget, but yeah, because it's just like, yeah, you use suck the mission.
Speaker 3: If you're gonna do it with friends, you kind of like group up with them before that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I would definitely try it. I mean, hell, it's Gregueller's number one video game of all time shot.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Yeah, Like I like peace Walker, that's wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, saying something out of pocket weird.
Speaker 3: I think I think we talked about seven games today that I like.
Speaker 1: More than.
Speaker 3: I played, like, yeah, an hour of it or so, and I was like, what is this whole layout? I don't like.
Speaker 5: I had not played Monster Hunter at that point, and I was just like, PSP game, it's got this weird thing. I'll watch the cut scenes on YouTube and so I've seen those at times.
Speaker 3: I know the story, but I've never really played it.
Speaker 2: You know, grub you know you've still got a bunch of fake siggs I do. I would not mind strapping in with y'all for some metal gear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will look into the best way to get this going.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, I would like that.
Speaker 2: Uh, last game on the list. Speaking about remasters, this is a game near and dear to my heart, so please be nice to it. Tamba, grub Dan. It looks like you you two have also been playing this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm glad you said it properly because there is an exclamation point in the title. I think I like pretty much any game that has an exclamation point that Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mike Tysons punch out Tomba.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mike Tyson said two. That's why I yeah so much. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for both fists when he knocks your lights out.
Speaker 1: I'm enjoined, Tamba. I never really played it. It is one of those games where it's like, oh, there's a lot going on here. They like had the three D rendered backgrounds the two D character and because of that, the character can you know, you can hold up and then jump into the background and that's interesting. Oh yeah, sure.
Speaker 3: It's got the event system. The event system that was the big thing.
Speaker 5: It's like it was ambitious for what is kind of a platformer, but also there's like adventure game elements and almost like like almost Metroidvania type stuff where you had like a quest log basically or what looks like a platform and it was very much in that like two point five D Pandemonium Heyday of like, Okay, we've got more powerful systems, but we still want to make some side scrolling games. So it's like it's a weird one. And there are quality of life things here, where's like you can save anywhere now, you can rewind. It's got all the like museum stuff and concept art that you would expect from like limited run in the museum type game. You know, it's it's a cool one to go back to and see what they were swinging for uh ahead of it a time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I feel like, you know, moving the character around, I'm like, you know, I'm not I don't love this, and I definitely I am someone who like prefers the game feel great when I play it, But that doesn't automatically make it like, oh, this is a game I'm not interested in. It won't play, so I'm sticking with it. And yeah, once I started like getting the hang of the event system and realizing a lot there's like stuff to go interact within the world. I like the one where you try to like go meet the guy on the other side of the water and you jump in the water and it goes I can't swim and it pops up with all those big letters and that becomes a new event. You're like learn to swim, Like, Okay, I don't know what that means, but I'm keeping an eye out to see exactly how how I can engage in that event. And it's it's cool to like just get to you get the hang of moving around the world and using the items you get to make that easier, to like to return to the old man's house and stuff like that and treat that as a home base. But yeah, I'm I think this game always had a strong style and I'm glad that that is held up like sort of without any effort. It just looks great. Still. I think I really enjoy just looking at the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm happy to be able to play this in such an easy way. This this game is more specifically Tomba two is near and dear to my heart. When Daniel Dwyer was doing the not Uncut gems, I.
Speaker 3: Bought Daniel Dwyer's uncut gems.
Speaker 2: I bet you he does a pretty good Adam Sandler.
Speaker 3: He's betting on rugby or whatever.
Speaker 2: They play Your Treasures, Ulty Treasures, Apologies for forgetting My episode was about Tomba two and Tama two takes all the systems from the original Tamba uh and just injects it with more and more things and kind of plays with that two and a half D style more. Yeah, it's great. I checked this out and I was kind of scared that, like, am I just looking to the past with rose colored glasses? But no, the rose colored is just Tamba's hair. And how weird this game is speaking about like beyond good and evil where it kind of just drops you in to stuff and just like yeah, no, you're just still figured it out and then it drops you in Yeah, like your friend is a monkey is he your friend, and then you hate pigs.
Speaker 3: What's up with these pigs?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just like press up next to read a sign and yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: I specifically remember in Tomba two because I think these both of these games were kind of my first foray into the Metroid Venous style game of like backtracking and everything and like, oh crap, I don't know, I don't know how to get here. Oh now I have the thing to go back over there, and it's just being wowed in Tomba two because you befriend Santa. It's a weird game. It's a very weird game. And I think, uh, Chad was I saw in chat saying that Sweary was involved in Tomba two and that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of ye.
Speaker 2: But yeah, very very happy that folks can check out Tamba and and uh yeah, the weird weirdness.
Speaker 1: Of this ran well, that's on the Steam deck. For the most part, there was some hitching when I would load between sequences where it would just fade to black flour an extended period of time, but they say that they're aware of all the There was also some audio glitches.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm playing on switch.
Speaker 5: And it also like when you go to your status or your menu and stuff like that, there is like a weird like why is it black screen for this long?
Speaker 2: So I think it's across.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they talked about like, oh, we know there's bugs, we know that there's some experience issues, and we're working to update the game.
Speaker 2: I still, despite having the series be near and dear to my heart, I still don't know what.
Speaker 1: The fuck is going on?
Speaker 2: Like, what is this kids?
Speaker 1: Deal? It's great?
Speaker 2: Sure, I love it. I love it. I'm all about huh and I'm all about taking a break. We'll be back with some news right after this breaking news. Mike Manatti is raw dogging or tortilla reporting live on the scene.
Speaker 8: Mike Manatti, look you guys, it says not doing this at lunchtime.
Speaker 3: I'm doing my best.
Speaker 1: Look I'm very too.
Speaker 3: But like the bigger question is you're just you couldn't put some cheese on there.
Speaker 2: Peanut butter.
Speaker 1: I let you know, I won million percent have your back on this. It is calories, it's food, it's energy, it's carbs. It's gonna get you through this podcast. You need it quickly. I have your back.
Speaker 5: You're just like a plain piece of bread. Sometimes I do, really you don't know, at least peanut butter.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I even treat myself and I'll like squish it a little bit and kind of make give it a different texture to feel like I'm having a little treat.
Speaker 3: Wow, you ever roll it out? Weird food guy on a podcast, Geez, it's all just food.
Speaker 1: It's all gonna be the same thing.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's gonna give you calories, but like, yeah, put some cheese on it, microwave it.
Speaker 1: At least I got that lactose intolerance.
Speaker 2: So I just need to get this out of my head. Bread nachos, all right? Jeff grubbed the news?
Speaker 1: Did you toast them?
Speaker 3: Said?
Speaker 1: Fun?
Speaker 8: Dude, we'll talk about something serious.
Speaker 1: So I need to stop.
Speaker 3: I need to hurry up and finish eat commonly eating this tortilla. Put it in some tragic news or something. And he's just eating of tortilla. Like former magazine to close after thirty three years.
Speaker 1: Mike perspective.
Speaker 3: Damn it, my Jesus Christ, it's an institution embarrassing us.
Speaker 1: Uh, thirty three years, it's done. Uh and it was unceremonious. Doesn't even like again, to describe it, game Stop pulled the plug without giving anybody any warning, In fact, so little warning that the next issue of the magazine was well into planning.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Dragon Age of EA was like, hey, turn tune in to the next episode or the next issue of Game Informer, because we're gonna reveal a ton of new stuff about Dragon Age, the.
Speaker 3: Veil Born, with Theilguard, the Veil Guard.
Speaker 1: Uh. And now that issue is not going to come out though you won't that covers not going to happen. It's it's a real big bummer and everyone there has lost their job and it sucks. Game Stop is just a joke.
Speaker 5: Pulled the plug, pulled everyone into a meeting, no advanced warning fired, everyone changed the locks. Deleted the Twitter account after posting an AI generated goodbye message that nobody ever worked a game and form or whatever the final level like no, fine, no, yeah, it's I mean, everyone knew it was going to be shitty because it was GameStop and GameStop then now forever has been a piece of shit company. I worked for them for eight years at the store level at Game Informer. They were They've always been shitty. It was always going to be cold, it was always going to be impersonal, but just the swiftness of it, the fact that they took down the website and everything that was on there like so many years, Like I know, it's it's known mainly for magazine, but like you know, they were doing web stuff, you know, from like the mid two thousands, but starting like oh nine when me and four others got hired specifically because they wanted to start pushing into the internet more. And uh, there was so much on their podcast. Obviously, the YouTube still up, you know, there's still videos and old replay episodes and stuff, but the amount of articles and online only stuff that just got completely nuked for what. I don't know if they're saving a bit on server costs or what the thought process, if there was any, but they just seemed ready to just jettison everything, get rid of everyone. It's yeah, it's even more cold and impersonal than I think I would have expected from that company. And uh, you know, they were definitely a smaller team and they never were like back in the office post pandemic, but they were still putting out a lot of good stuff. They were still going, you know, these great stories and then a lot of grips.
Speaker 1: Open to subscriptions, whether you have like a Game Stop membership or not. So I just subscribed and I've gotten I've received like three issues so far. Apparently some people are saying that Dragon Age issue is starting to show up for some people, so that's some good news there. But yeah, it was. It was. It's devastating. It was expected in a lot of ways. The guys that on that team made it outlive. I think what some expectations were and not even like the most grim expectations. In a lot of ways, It's like, man, how are they still pulling this off? And they were until Game Stop someone just looked up. It's like, I own this is one thing. We've cut everything else. Let's just cut this. And when they cut it just seems like they went into a mode of yeah, like you said, jettison Jedi in it into space, which is such a bummer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I mean, look, it's been around forever and you just look at the alumni from there. I look, I think of everyone that I worked with there, and how you know, you've got people that went to Xbox, the people that went to Sony, and people that went to Gearbox. You had plenty of people doing stuff behind the scenes at studios and consultancies, and I mean it was.
Speaker 3: A real who's who.
Speaker 5: Like I if you worked at Game Inform and you went through you know, those halls, I feel like most people wound up in the industry doing things of import yes, after that, And I think that will happen with eventually with everyone that has been laid off now. Obviously the job market is fucked right now in games, so it's going to be hard. You know, obviously, please everywhere follow Look at anyone's Twitter that just got laid off. Look at Alex Vanak and look at Brian Shay. You know, look at all them in Mark Everyone's retweeting everyone late. Look at my twitter feed. I've been trying to retweet everyone, Margaret. Yeah, all the people of LA that were in production and the layout people that have been there forever. It was a hell of a staff at all points. And I'm sure or I hope that every one lands on their feet. It's going to be tough, but uh yeah, it's you know, I can't help but think on a personal level, like I wouldn't know any of you. I never would have been at Giant Palm. I wouldn't live where I live. I wouldn't have met my wife. I wouldn't have like, you know, Game Informer to me is more than any like I know. As much as I joke about, like, oh, you know, Dan Love's brand or whatever, Tacabella or Walmart or whatever, Game Informer as a company, as a brand, as a magazine like that has had more of an impact on the entire run of my life since I was nine years old than anything in my entire life. It is the reason I lived the life that I have. I have that place to thank everyone I worked with. You know, best man in my wedding was Tim Turry. You know, it's Hanson.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: One of the big reasons I moved back to Minneapolis is I have so many fond memories of everyone I met here through Game Informer and Hanson everyone. And speaking of Hanson, he's doing God's work over there. Many great follow theirs up. He just put up a thing. It was awesome. We didn't expect it to be posted this soon, but back in March, I mean, we all kind of knew shit was going to go south sooner or later, sooner than we expected. But yeah, it was Hanson Leovader, Me and Alex man Aiken went to kind of like the holding area where it was an office that no one really worked in ever. It was like basically rented out during the pandemic, and all this stuff was kind of moved in there, all the vault, you know, all the games from all those years of game history and statues and everything, and Hanson shot a thing from min Max of us all going through it, and it was supposed to be kind of like a time capsule thing where it's like, oh, maybe five years from now, if none of this is a thing, or if game Stop goes down or whatever, we'll post it and then like all this should happen. And Hanson's doing like a whole celebration. I don't know if he said it's going to be a month or what, but the first one was that video got posted. He got that out of the very very quickly. So check it out on mid Max's YouTube. I think they're probably doing a ton of podcasts and videos and stuff. Hanson's already talked to me about doing some of that, and I want to do as much of that as I can.
Speaker 3: But it deserves it.
Speaker 5: Game Informer absolutely an institution. It was the last US based magazine that was still kicking around, and its impact from nineteen ninety one one on cannot be overstated. It is the reason a lot of us in the industry do what we do. And you know, and all the years, all those years of being under Game Stop and still managing to still be completely independent, you know, like McNamara served as a buffer between us and Grapevine texts, so none of us on.
Speaker 3: The floor ever had to deal with those idiots.
Speaker 5: I can't imagine the amount of phone calls and bullshit Andy had to deal with with Game Stop, but he protected us from it. We never had to, you know, bout their whims of like you know, oh we want to push this thing harder, or we don't want you to give this game a low score. We never heard any of that stuff. Nothing ever got muddled with at all. I know, in recent years Game Stop, as they struggled more and more due to their own incompetence, they were getting involved more often. You know, they started doing those rounds of layoffs and then you know, revolving doors of CEOs and idiots and stuff trying to make changes to you know, and trying to push you know, of course, GameStop was trying to do like stupid NFT shit and whatever buzzword things, just to flail and stay live. But you know, most of it's run, it stayed completely independent, and uh, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: What else to say.
Speaker 5: It's uh, I got the tax all was sitting next to Greb on Friday, and it's like, oh fuck, Like you knew it was coming. You knew it was coming at some point, but you can't really be prepared until you see the finality of it. And it's just like, well, shit, that's it. That is as much of an end of an era as as it could be for the industry and me personally, and uh, it'll be.
Speaker 1: Missed absolutely, And it's I think you mentioned it where it's so many great people got hired there. The reason they got hired is because all those individuals are very good, and that's why I'm like, sure they're all going to go on to be very important to this industry or wherever they end up going forward. So I'm not worried for there. They were there at Game Reformer for a reason, they'll find other reasons to be at other place going forward. So just shout out to everybody that made that place special. All right, let's keep going here with the new Sony's gott of War Studios working on a new IP. According to one of the developers, Sandy, Santa Monica Studio, the developer behind God of War, is working on a new intellectual property. Galauco Longhi, characters supervisor at Santa Monica Studio, claimed this in his LinkedIn profile. Long He previously worked on Uncharted for God of War, God of War, Ragnarok, and the Clisto Protocol. Santa Monica Studio has a history of publishing games from indie studios, and was rumored to be working on a sci fi IP before it's cancelation way back in twenty fourteen. Yeah, the thing with all the PlayStation studios is that they're so busy all the time with so many big games that like they could do sequels too. That's always surprised when they do find time to do a new IP. But also at a certain point they have to like refresh the crop and have something new. And I guess I'm not too surprised to hear this, but what do you guys think?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's right these days, right, just making the next God of War is like a seven year thing, right, So he used to be like, oh, we'll do something in between, so we could take time, so they could be from room to breathe. Now, these games inherently just even if it's the thing you work on right away, and yet still it probably does make sense to for one thing, let the team do something else. I can't imagine that it's super exciting to be working on your you know, third or fourth or whatever God of War game in a row at this point.
Speaker 1: At that point, like, that's like twenty years of a person's life working on that.
Speaker 7: Yet, right, And I like riding and rock a lot, and you know, but even just aside from the fact that it's obviously probably going to be set somewhere else and you know, it's not going to do a Viking thing again or whatever. Yeah, like, let's let's take a moment there to relax and let do trust try something else here, because those things pay off a lot, right, like Sucker Punch doing Ghost of Shushima, you know, establishing a new franchise there. Yeah, it works out. The problem is, well, if this thing hits right, then it's like, okay, so do you make the sequel to that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 7: Away because you know, what, are you going to wait fourteen years now to make the next one of those?
Speaker 8: Because you have to do the next God of War and after that.
Speaker 1: Type for like bringing out their studios to work on this stuff was always in question. I remember, like the Visual Arts Groups like maybe we could do some uncharted stuff, and then Naughty Dog's like, no, we're gonna handle that and kind of took it away from them, and which was the right, it's a Naughty Dog game. But then like the people that were going to make stuff like that happen at Visual Arts Group left and they started a studio with some other publishers. So and I kind of don't necessarily blame Sony, like spinning up yet another major massive studio to make another more of these massive games. It's like, how many times can you replicate that before you just become really unwieldy and hard to manage. They're kind of at that point now, yeah, exactly, so why why increase it?
Speaker 2: They?
Speaker 1: And I don't I don't blame them, but that what that means is then what Mike's getting at longer periods of time before these established franchises and then taking longer breaks and more time to breathe than they necessarily might need.
Speaker 5: And then you hope that the u IP isn't a starfield and put off the thing that people actually want, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah for real.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well now I'm making me like nostalgic.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 7: Wow that like used to be like, hey, Grant thought there was a hit, Let's make two more of those for this same console generation. Yeah, and now you talking about Naughty Dog like, it's looking like, yeah, there just might not be an original Naughty Dog game for the entire PlayStation five life cycle.
Speaker 8: Like that's a distinct possibility right now.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty close to that feeling.
Speaker 5: So if you're a fan, you'd be used to that because those fuckers took four years between every one of them usually.
Speaker 7: Right, you know exactly, Yeah, that guy is really setting a precedent there. But even that, I was like, what a console generation? I think I saw yesterday that Phantom Pain came out in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 8: I'm like, that game's gonna be ten.
Speaker 7: Years old, though, Craiz, Oh no, that's the big I think that's Oh, there's a lot of problems in this year and now one of the biggest ones is just how long it takes to make games, and I don't really see a lot of people really caring to find solutions to that except saying buzzwords like AI. Everyone just kind of accepts like, yeah, games take longer and costs war to make than ever.
Speaker 8: And I'm like, are we gonna we're gonna do something about that?
Speaker 7: And it's like, yeah, we're gonna keep spending money we don't have and having to lay people off.
Speaker 8: I don't know, do you.
Speaker 2: Think there's any motivation or oversight from Sony proper while PlayStation's embarking on this to like, hey, make something that.
Speaker 1: We can maybe adapt to another TV show, They definitely talk about that stuff. I don't know if it's oversight so much as no, let's have our company retreat, let's talk about our overall goals. Let's try to align on those goals. That sort of conversation Sony definitely has a They take like, no, we have an interest in the things you're working on, and we want to be able to affect that. I think that's how we get stuff like the PSGR two, where it's like we have a hardware team, let's put them to work, and it's how we get some of these other things that they do where it's like it feels like just the PlayStation portal things like that, where it's like, oh, some PlayStation isn't necessarily like working on this thing. It's coming from the hardware team. Again. They want to like always get Sony involved with what's going on PlayStation because PlayStation is the bread winning brand. But I don't think Sony's like in there micromanaging that stuff too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I can't help but think the way that Conquered has been positioned is like they're.
Speaker 5: So ready to Concord. Okay, second, didn't mean to activate you. The way they've been positioning that.
Speaker 2: With like it being so story heavy in all the trailers, it just makes me feel like y'all have something in your back pocket that you think is going to be a big hit, like Concord the series.
Speaker 1: I think, I think, I honestly, I think that is a little bit of drinking their kool aid on this where it's like Sony games are important because they have this prestige attached them, and where does that prestige come from? Well, like this could be an HBO show, and I think they sort of talk themselves into that way of thinking. And so when they're like, well, what is a game that will get the executives at PlayStation excited that we can pitch that we can get a budget for. And then the developers sort of lead themselves into it's an overwatch, but it's gonna have the prestigious video of you know, cinematics in between everything that make the game feel important. And so yeah, I think they work themselves into a shoot a little bit with that. Alright, let's see here your next story. Sega files a trademark for Yakuzawars. Sega has filed a trademark for Yakuzu Wars in Japan, suggesting a new video game product related to the Like a Dragon series. Previously Sega the series. Sega changed the series's Western name from Yakuza to Like a Dragon. Uh, there's a show come in all this other stuff. We don't know much about what Yakuzuwars is going to be.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: In my head when I hear that, I think of tact exam strategy RPGs, things like that, and I think that's a really good fit for this series.
Speaker 7: That sounds immediately, Yeah, it's not that then maybe Muso, but I think you know that shop also a Wars.
Speaker 5: But also think about like how much had they did turn based RPG and did it well and in a unique way.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 5: It didn't just mimic like old battle systems or anything like that. So like it makes me so excited about like what would their take be on if it is like a tactical like like what is the Yaka a version of that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah? And they played like Mendo mentions to chat they've had RTS modes in some of the earlier games and things like that, where there are clearly a lot of them experimenting with the genres in like a Dragon proper and breaking one of those out into its own thing. You could see how that would easily happen. Like, I won't be surprised in a couple of years we get a standalone Dan doco game.
Speaker 2: Like I didn't expect to dig Kinisugami Path of the Goddess as much as I do, but like, you know, that's spinning that RTS ish model, and I could see the the Yakuza team doing some some magic with that. Ye same here, what was the multiplayer mode in Pigment four?
Speaker 3: Yeah right, I want to say, yeah, yeah, that was great.
Speaker 8: Actually I could have played I.
Speaker 3: Want to do next time we're in person, we should do some of those.
Speaker 1: Okay, sounds good, that'd be great. Yeah, Dan Dory is great. But yeah, I think that what you're getting there at jan is that there is a foundation where they are like, let's take strategy, let's take real time strategy, turn based what ever, and then let's make a like a Dragon game sort of inspired by that, and then they could layer so many other things on top of that and really make it its own. I know that it is exciting to me.
Speaker 2: I know that the teams at Sega don't work super closely together all the time, but like Persona five Tasko I thought was a very good tactics game, and then you know, I wouldn't mind the Yaka is a twist to that and seeing what else they they could do because like a Dragon, like Infinite wealth y'all, it's like up there in my like top two of the year still just because a combat system is so good and satisfying that, Like Dan, you're right, I want to see what they would do with a turn based style or if it's if it's not like a strictly tactics based turn based game. I want to see what they would do, Like, could they do something like a God What was that game? Not Unicorn Overlord? No, not that one, No no, no, no no yes, Chronicles no no no. That was doing some neat things with its combat system because it was kind of an RTS. But you have a small party instead of like a bunch of units that like, hey, you know Ichibon, you go over there, freaky man with a job board system, you go over there. I think it would be fun. I want Shenanigans also, like I'm all for like a dragon getting bigger and weirder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly like they're They're very good at keeping the franchise fresh with new entries at all times, whether those are main entries or side games. And I think getting even stranger with the side games is only a positive and I'm excited about it. There is a development build of Call of Duty Black Ops six that has basically had a ton of footage week on social media, things like the multiplayer maps, perks, gunsmith menu, This stuff is everywhere for people who are interested in that. The one thing that I did pick up on is the omni movement system. There is some more footage of like kind of how that works, and I guess the idea is you can sprint, run, dive, or slide in any direction at any time. So like, to me, I'm like, is that make the game like more like Quake? I don't know, or just like yeah, yeah, I'm curious, and I am someone who's had a lot of fun with Call of Duties in the past, and I kind of think I am kind of waiting for something they'll get me back on board. I think when they went back from the advanced warfare style movement back to the boots on the ground, I'm like, oh, okay, they're already doing the Hey, we're returning to the old favorite, and they're kind of a little scared of trying new ideas with the core fundamental to how the game works. At that point, I was like, all right, I think I'm mostly okay with this franchise. So I think having another chance to mess around with that, play around with that, I'm hopeful that that could be something cool.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because you can't really run backwards as fast as you can run forwards in real.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe you can't.
Speaker 5: Not with that attitude, it never had the same type of mobility that like titan Fall felt like you know.
Speaker 2: Right, it got close with Advanced Warfare.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I love the boosting around with the.
Speaker 1: Exosuity boosting like side boosting in the air and things like that.
Speaker 2: That was really put me in xosuit.
Speaker 5: Please do you know they almost put me in an exosuit for Advanced war fairthday oh for that okay.
Speaker 3: Okay game and former cover story for it.
Speaker 5: They flew me out. This is actually when I flew out for this trip. I was also apartment hunting because I knew I was coming to a giant bomb. But part of the plan for that trip was they were going to take me to this like robotics place to show that like oh see, it's it's just very near future.
Speaker 3: We have this stuff now.
Speaker 5: And they were talking about like we're going to put you in an exosuit and you'll get to like lift a little boulders or something really heavy for like Macnamara told me like, yeah, I think they want to put you in like a robot suit, and I was like I'm and we're gonna shoot a video. Ben Hansom filled me in a robot suit and I was very bummed that pell apart.
Speaker 1: Whenever I think about that. I always worry about. I worry about It always occurs to me to think of the Metroid Prime, like the Visor sequence where you like can scan the thing and they show the space Pirates trying to build a morphball and they're like skeletons all mangled and stuff that.
Speaker 7: It definitely happened to me. If I get into a robot suit, like, that'll happen. But you think you're gonna be ripley, but no, you're just gonna.
Speaker 1: Be wrapped apart exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as someone that worked at a company trying to build a robot fighting league, the technology.
Speaker 3: Is not there yet, Yeah, far from it.
Speaker 1: Uh More details emerge on Payback, Bunge's canceled Third Person's Destiny spinoff. Of course, those layoffs happened at Bungee. I think that that did. That happen kind of around last week on the BombCast. I'm not sure if we talked about all that either way. Two hundred and twenty people were laid off. Another one hundred and fifty five were reassigned into Sony Interactive Entertainment. Bunge is going to be moved under Sony Interactive Entertainment. Basically Hermann Holst will be in charge like he is with all studios, all PlayStation studios. In addition to that, Luke Smith, who was well known as the creative director on a lot of Destiny Too, he has left the company, so as Mark Noseworthy. They were both working on Payback Payback being the next big thing for Destiny, but not Destiny three. The reason it's not Destiny three is that it's more They describe it as being more like Ginshin impact even third person going out into the world and running quests and stuff like that. But it was Luke Smith's game, so it was going to be the next big thing, but they canceled that a few weeks back. Luke Smith, Mark knows whether you had nothing to work on, so they left. They were fired. Kind of doesn't matter because it's all wrapped up in that like nebulous idea of this company's in trouble. There's nothing for you to work on. What are you gonna do? Just sit around and do nothing? Clearly that wasn't an option, so they got some sort of package likely and left the company. Yeah, a lot going on with Bungie, but that payback sounded somewhat interesting. But I have no idea if it's what that fandom was going to want. But in the meantime, Destiny two will keep getting new content, but it's gonna be smaller content twice a year. Things that are, it's gonna be missing some of the features people are accustomed to getting when they pay for this stuff. And the game's gonna have to continue like that for a while because Marathon it's the next big bang from Bungie and that's coming out next year apparently still, and a lot is riding on that game doing well for the company.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's like maybe Marathon's gonna like save Bungie. But it just seems like because you know, no, no Destiny three in development right now is what everyone's saying, which is wild to me.
Speaker 8: And two and there never was, yeah, yeah, and there was, there's.
Speaker 7: Some support for Destiny two, but like that's gonna look probably pretty slow right away.
Speaker 8: What does that look like in three years?
Speaker 7: And you know, if you put a Destiny three in development now, we're not going to see that for a while. It just feels like, you know, you never say something's dead forever, but boy, is Destiny just about to be in a pretty pretty long down time here, and it's kind of a sad thing.
Speaker 1: And they are not going to start working on Destiny three right now like they have. They have to like stick with what Destiny two is for a while, and then Marathon has to come out and do well, and all this Frontiers content that is like basically the new generation of Destiny two stuff needs to do well and all of that stuff. Of all those if ifs line up at that point, they will reassess what they're going to do with the future of Destiny. That's a lot of hoops to jump through, Greub exactly. It's going to be very up the high level of difficulty. And the more likely scenario is we look back in a couple of years and it's like, Okay, they are kind of paring down Bungie even further or something like.
Speaker 7: That attal Marathon doesn't hit like they think it will. It kind of is terrifying.
Speaker 2: What if it just doesn't get their two hit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean I don't because they're cutting staff so deeply.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that game's gotta coming, nothing's gotta but that it's a probably that game never even comes out.
Speaker 8: If all the hopes and dreams.
Speaker 1: Are on especially it's supposed to come out next year, so like they have the idea in their head that they're relatively.
Speaker 8: What if Naughty Dog cancels it, that'd be funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, little payback? Yeah, sorry, everybody don't need to be making jokes. A lot of people lost their job and here we are goofing off.
Speaker 3: Michael, we had a tortilla or something.
Speaker 7: Yeah, come on, jesus if it makes you feel better. I'm realizing that this astro butt shirt I'm wearing kind of it just looks like an apple actually.
Speaker 3: A bomb.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: No, it's supposed to be as show, but now I'm like, this looks as like an apple. I can never wear this again.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, the future bungs you very much. Still in question. There will be some answers going forward, but I think a lot of that's going to ride on can they make people feel good about Destiny to again? And that seems very challenging on exactly rough avowed. Meanwhile, has been delayed until early twenty twenty five. If you remember, this is the Obsidian game that was going to be a console exclusive for Xbox.
Speaker 3: Didn't have a date.
Speaker 1: It was like twenty twenty four kind of seemed like it might be October November in that range. I think there was a leak date for November sometime. Microsoft is publicly said, hey, we have a lot of games come out, so do a lot of other people. Let's clear some of that space and we're going to give this game a chance to breathe in early twenty twenty five, which I don't doubt is a factor. But also like, you just don't delay games unless they need more time, because every day you don't put out a game, it costs money, just right, and you can you can count up that amount of money in five digits and sometimes six digits every single day. So they won't want to do that for too long unless the game really needs it. It probably does whether or not. That's like, oh for bugs or to give it a little bit more shine. Either way, I hope this game gets the love it needs because I really want this game to hit. I like Obsidian, I like the look of this I feel pretty positive about it. And I know that's a little bit of a nonleg mike. You feel very positive about it, Yeah, Like I.
Speaker 7: Don't, you know, I always think this game looks good and I'm just excited, Like, yeah, Citty is making, you know, another first person rpg. We like when they do that, right, we haven't gotten you know, we don't get too many of these from other studios really, so I thought every won't be excited. It seems like everyone's always a little down or non plussed about it. So maybe that's another reason to delay a bit. Maybe work on it so you get some kind of triller or something that can really while people whatever it is that they are looking for. I'm not sure, but yeah, I just want this game to be good. If delaying helps for either the what I think is the real reason you know theeds were time, or even just trying to get out of the way of some other Fall games, sure, whatever, but no, I'm still looking forward to this one.
Speaker 1: Let's see. Uh I got a few more stories after this one, Jane, just let you know that got added late. I'll let you know, but first we'll hit this one. Nintendo sticks to its annual sales forecast as Q one operating profit drops seventy percent year on year. Now that comparison year on year is because in that previous quarter they had the release of Twilight Princess, which basically instance and sold twenty million copies.
Speaker 3: Here's of the Kingdom, Here's the what did I say, Twilight Princess?
Speaker 1: Oh boy, so one of those letters was right, uh, tiers of the Kingdom. They also had the Mario movie, which made a lot of money for them as well, and you know, a lot of that stuff made might get sent to them later. I don't know how the movie business works, but that was happening in the same quarter, so it was always going to be a tough comparison. What really is is troublesome as that they do seem to be coming in under their forecast for how many switches they're going to sell this year. They want to sell thirteen point five million. They claim that they're going to continue to hit. They're still going to hit that. If they're going to do that, they either need some big game that gets people to buy buy a lot of switches. Now that maybe that is Pokemon Za. What is it, guys? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: This Yeah, maybe this Za comes through and really crushes that seems likely at a certain point as long as it comes out in this fiscal year, and then there always could be a price drop. Now that I'm like a little bit more suspicious of because I don't know, if Nintendo wants to drop the price on hardware right when it's getting ready to launch new hardware for likely a higher price, I think they want that point of comparison to be as high as possible, so it'd be like, well, it's only fifty or one hundred dollars more for this thing, I'll just get that and it's new and shiny. But I don't know, Well, how are you guys feeling about Switch being able to sell a ton more systems this year?
Speaker 5: I feel like it's impossible to not just look ahead to the two or whatever it's called at this point, like it's had, it's run, it's got a couple more things.
Speaker 1: Everyone's one or a couple of switches already.
Speaker 2: Unless it gets heavily reduced in price at.
Speaker 1: The points like the one option.
Speaker 7: But I know you're skeptical, but I'm like, there's gotta be like, there's got to maybe a holiday price.
Speaker 3: Finally, how much is it played over there?
Speaker 2: How much is an OLED go free fifty three fifty and.
Speaker 1: It was always three fifty, and that was fifty dollars more than the Switch original, which never went down in price, is still three hundred.
Speaker 8: It's pretty nuts.
Speaker 7: Wow, even fifty bucks there, like three hundred dollars still kind of seems like holiday. Yeah, yeah, because I mean what you know, like you know, they saw some games, they've had some games, but it's been like more niche stuff, like you know, in the Tenor World Championship. We love EO is coming out right in as and you know that's even more niche. Maybe Nintender World Championship it had stuff like Luigi's Mansion two, you know, not none of them ad games. But they don't have a Zoda or a Mario. You know, we have a Mario Party coming out. Yeah, that will definitely get that'll do some very well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll be the like the big holiday family game that gets picked up. The people always talking about the Grandma's at the store buying the game. She actually does show up to the store to buy Mario Party like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my Brothership.
Speaker 7: But like you know, the Mario RPGs never sell as much as like the new two D or three D Mario game.
Speaker 3: I think, well they're doing better.
Speaker 1: A thousand Your Doors the fastest selling RPG from Nintendo, I think they said or something like that Mario RPG something like My Lost.
Speaker 2: It seems insane that Nintendo just dropped the ball with Animal Crossing with how well it did for them during the pandemic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean from their point of view, it's it's not gonna look that way because do you know how many copies that game was sold?
Speaker 2: Insane amount?
Speaker 1: Yes, forty five million copies, but like think about yeah, it's supporting it. Yeah, and it's like, but they made all of the money in the world from it. So there's only one game on the Switch that's sold better, and that is a Mario Kart eight Deluxe. And there's only one game that sold better than it, I think last quarter. Animal Crossing, like fucking it continues to sell, it's like picking up its pace actually, and Mario Kart is losing pace. So there's a world in which maybe Anaal Crossing starts selling more than Mario Karter.
Speaker 3: Losing I'm not doing.
Speaker 8: Three Smash Brothers. Let's go Smash Bros.
Speaker 1: Yep uh. And the Switch has something like that. That list came out and there was like more than fifty games that have sold a million copies. So just a huge, huge success across the board. And at some point you're not going to be able to maintain that momentum. Here we are and it's it's just happening.
Speaker 3: In a long time, man, it has been.
Speaker 1: Uh and Sean was mentioning in chat that some folks that attract this sort of thing, it looks like z A likely won't come out till the second half of the year, So that's not this fiscal year.
Speaker 5: Me.
Speaker 7: I think I think there might be a price cut. I I also think they're just not gonna hit that target.
Speaker 1: I think both. I think both aren't out of the question. All right, some of these other headlines that kind of just popped off. Final Fantasy sixteen apparently has a game ready driver profile for Nvidia game Ready and Studio Driver five sixty point eight one that was released this morning. That is usually the kind of thing that happens after a game releases, like or like right as it's releasing, they have those game ready drivers in there. So this is something that we could probably expect pretty soon. I don't know, maybe games Com, yeah, maybe, yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know, they've been talking pretty openly about working on a PC version.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's been coming, Yes, clearly.
Speaker 7: It's been coming. So but you know, that's a pretty interesting sign to maybe it's sooner than we even thought.
Speaker 1: Yep, I think I think games comes not out of the question. Also, they did confirm that Star Wars Jedi Survivor is coming to Xbox One and PlayStation four on September seventeenth of this year.
Speaker 7: Why god, I'm so curious to see what those look like, because those games just do not. That game does not run great on five n Xbox series.
Speaker 1: It's it's always so weird to think of games that like are so clearly identified with one generation. I remember, oh, yeah that did, like that came out in like the PS two or the Wii or something like that. It's like, I wonder what that looks like, And this is going to be an exact example of that.
Speaker 7: It's like going to an ex pro skater for PS one. Yeah, it's like what that one? I'd like, I know three dated, that's fishy, but four three was okay, four was maybe maybe just take it out back now.
Speaker 1: I think it's really easy to read this sort of thing as the industry is in a weird place that the that people aren't buying the new hardware and that's bad. I think it's actually more a good sign that people are still so interested in gaming that they are still playing their PS fours and they're not letting the fomo get to them. They like want to be participating in games, they just don't have the money. They can't justify spending five hundred dollars on hardware to play a lot of the same games. So if they can get access to, like a the handful of new games that are exclusive to the next gen, they're taking advantage of that. And I think the industry is making the right call in most cases in continue to cater that audience.
Speaker 2: It's a smart choice.
Speaker 7: Yeah, do you think that maybe scares people because like I think some of us feel like, man, we're like maybe on the other half of this generation, right, and it kind of feels like a whole lot hasn't happened. But the idea that it feels like that and so many people are still on PS fours, I mean, does that maybe give them pause about really thinking about those next consoles, or does a matter of well or released the next consoles, then maybe those people will just get on the PS five finally, either through buying them cheap, having a friend give them.
Speaker 3: One when they get their PlayStation six.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I think you're like sort of talking like I think they're having that conversation, and they're likely talking themselves into the future of console generation. Refreshes maybe could use a little bit of a rethink, and maybe they do happen a little bit more frequently, and we do get systems that are basically pro models and come out every three or four years or something like that. But these are going to be the same thing going forward. Essentially, They're going to feel like the same console over and over, so you might as well, like let people continue to play the games as long as they can.
Speaker 2: You think we could see a future where PlayStation or Xbox kind of adopts like an Apple model with like an iPad, right, Like that might be like.
Speaker 1: Annuals like kind of aggressive, right. Yeah, So I don't know, but maybe.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this makes me think.
Speaker 7: I was reading the YouTube comments on a Giant Bomb video Dan, and it was when we played Marvel Rivals, and somebody's like this against something because somebody's like, Concord's way better. Concord looks like, you know, a modern game, This looks like a PlayStation four Gabe, And I was just thinking, what the hell does that mean?
Speaker 1: And Also it's like, yeah, they want this thing to run everywhere. So that's what you're saying. You're seeing a game that can eventually run on phones like big big shot. Yeah, And honestly, Concord is going to be a situation where they wish they had that. So all right, so I think maybe one last one here.
Speaker 3: Yees talk about half Lay three. I heard that that got confirmed. Yeah, so half Life three believe?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, half Life three is the thing that going around because what was it? There was a leaked game name I don't know, yeah, and there is references to half Life. And then Tyler McVicker, who is like a does a lot of news stories on YouTube about Valve and Steam. I was like, hey, this is the name I've heard before, and I don't think it's a VR game. I think it's the next real half Life game. And that has people thinking maybe it's half Life three.
Speaker 2: Yesterday you said it was a code name for a new Valve project.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I appreciate that. Okay, yes, so yes, that is you do believe, Mike for real? For shoot, Well, look.
Speaker 7: I think you'd ring your game this morning poll and until you have spoilers for tomorrow but like, do you think Halfway three over happened? And most people in that poll said, no, Oh, come on, it's going to happen some day. What people don't bring up maybe because you know, not enough people actually be Half Life Alex or able to play it. It's a VR game. It has a cliffhanger ending setting up half Life three. Now granted, so did episode to skin it? You know, like it's kinda it's kind of happened some point. I don't know if it's gonna happen next year, two years, three years, five years.
Speaker 2: Ten years, it'll hap.
Speaker 7: They are going to eventually make a product called Halfway three.
Speaker 1: I think you are right about that, all right. The real last thing I hear the the X Men are coming to Fortnite. That's fun yep, wow, and Cyclops probably have you have you seen it?
Speaker 3: Chand Cyclops?
Speaker 1: It's fucking Cyclops and he has in his blue and yellow X Men ninety seven ass look and it is fantastic. You know enough, Jam, I'm gonna just copy, I'll copy image link and I will just put it in the chat right now because I would describe it as shit hot.
Speaker 8: It is good, holy, it is good.
Speaker 3: Look at that man real good. Oh my god, it's fucking Jubilee yep and Colossus two of my favorite X Men. Look, I love well.
Speaker 7: We're playing the X Men r K game, and I just my favorite video game is sound Effect.
Speaker 8: Ever, I think is when Colossus does this mute the movie.
Speaker 3: Time.
Speaker 2: I remember just beating our kids and hearing that from across the room, like, hell yeah, there goes Colosses, there goes.
Speaker 3: So Jane's called.
Speaker 1: It's called dapping when Michael Hyme comes and tries to give me a handshake. Yeah, okay, so there is that dapping emote in Fortnite, and and reusing the game already, it can happen. Reu and Psyclops can dap each other up so hard, and you're gonna see that a lot when this game or when these guys actually released.
Speaker 2: How many V bucks do I have right now?
Speaker 1: That does it for the news, Thank you so much. Yeah, but I'm handing this show back over to you.
Speaker 2: The biggest injustice of those newer X Men movies is how much they fucking fumbled the bag with Jubilee. Lana Condor was a perfect casting as Jubilee, yet they fucked it up. I hate ty Sheridan as Cyclops. Where's the fucking cyclops? Ever cast it? Let's fight the black before I get too shoes.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, good breath control Man was impressive.
Speaker 2: You were You are my anchor character being the anchor being. Yeah, yeah yeah. When I when I think of a big metal man, I think of you, Mike Manati.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Think of metal Man from Mega Man two. But that's good too.
Speaker 5: But two seconds of dead air, Michae will go into song and.
Speaker 1: The Grimmins will come get me again and water everyone everyone tested.
Speaker 2: Quiet jo is the email address to send your emails, to send virtually any and everything you want you want us to discuss. You got some news, you got some quandaries, questions, quizzes, fan castings, if you yeah sure, if you send your quanchi fanfix to bombcastagiant bomb dot com, they're probably out there, you know, based off of the things people send to this email address, see it is not the weirdest thing to send.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: First email comes from Blake in Texas. Hey, bombers, I think we can all agree that the Xbox controller a button is much better than the switch a button placement. But that leads me to the real question, what is the canonical X button location? All three controllers have it, and I feel like only one can win this very important battle. Love the show Blake in Texas. Gotta going the Xbox, Xbox.
Speaker 3: I think it's Xbox. Yeah. I mean, here's the thing.
Speaker 5: Xbox also had the benefit of, you know, most people in the last ten to fifteen years, if they're using a controller on PC or using an Xbox controller at post three sixty and so, we're so used to seeing you know, X three load and it's the Xbox X. So I feel like that's the one my head goes to first, even if the other one is predated, you know.
Speaker 1: Yep, I agree, yeah, and I and I don't. I don't hate the controller of or the placement of a on the Nintendo controllers. I get used to it. I'm fine with it these days, even going back and forth between that and Xbox controller.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: But yeah, if I were to like build my own control of the way back of our builds his own keyboards, I would put the button placement the way the Xbox has it pretty much. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I stuffle between those three controllers so much that I like, I'm pretty good at just adjusting. Uh, but like the one thing you want to play Nintendo, I get used to the different AB pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: I don't even know why.
Speaker 7: I think if it as the different AB, I've probably used more Nintendo controllers and Xbox ones that might at this point in my life. But yeah, I still think of that Xbox as the default. But like I can't adjust to the ab X being on the top on like the Nintendo stuff actually feels kind of right.
Speaker 1: I always struggle with that one because for me, it was like why as jumping in like Oblivion and Skyrim became like that's where I just pressed the button up here to hit why to do that? And it's so hard to get that mixture out of my head.
Speaker 2: What I like that they do in some Switch games and some PC games is instead of highlighting like the specific button like x A, et cetera, they just put the placement on the controller. It's like, all right, I can get.
Speaker 1: Down with this.
Speaker 8: Yeah kind of with that, Yeah, I think, Uh, isn't it the Demon Slayer game we played?
Speaker 1: Did that?
Speaker 7: If I'm making that up, remember, I try to forget that. I remember I won and then I got the press that weekend.
Speaker 2: God, I just want to send you a different anime to get upset about. Like, yeah, but I almost don't want to do that too.
Speaker 8: I should watch Evangelian or whatever.
Speaker 3: I thought that was good, Uh sad.
Speaker 7: Like lots of teenagers getting corrupted and used by the military until they probably die or something.
Speaker 3: It's more confusing than that.
Speaker 2: A scoch a scoche all right, next email my calm down. It's just a taste like residual roys the sky withdraw yes the sky grizzy.
Speaker 7: I have a little I think about a week away from my deck doesage ma unrisked?
Speaker 2: I hope you get rizzed up soon.
Speaker 1: Thank you too.
Speaker 2: Tommy from Virginia writes, and hey, BombCast, I've always loved deck building games wrote, I've always loved deck building roguelike games like Slay the Spire or Monster Train. When I heard the buzz around Bilotro, I bought it immediately. However, have your never playing played poker? I was intimidated. I waited months before trying it and then ended up loving it. I just did something similar with fights and tight spaces. Great game, but I waited forever. Are there any games you hesitated to play for some reason? But you ended up liking slash loving it when you eventually did. Thanks for all you do so cerially, Tommy from Virginia.
Speaker 5: No, it took me a long time to give Hollow Night a shot, but some I think it was one one of you guys recommended Hollow Night to me, and so I checked it out right away.
Speaker 2: No, you discovered that as far as I know.
Speaker 3: Oh was that just me?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was talk that's right. I remember it's on the like great on deck sections. Probably how I discovered I try to stop you, that's right. Yeah, And I was like, no, I'm gonna try this. It looks really cool. I like the art style and uh yeah, Hollow Night's really good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean Dark Souls I just talked about that. I don't know why it took me so long, too, because it wasn't just like my first play through. It's not a thing like BEYONDA and Evil, where at least like I had tried up before and liked it. I had never started up Dark Souls one before until I did this play through, and uh, it's more of a series. But for some reason I didn't get into Pickman until finally Picked Before came.
Speaker 8: Fricking rules. Actually, what the hell's wrong with me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's definitely examples of that where this has happened to me. I just can't think of any right now.
Speaker 3: Paper Mario two was one that like, I love Paper Mario one. I love Mario. I don't know why I didn't play it until like the pandemic and turns out that's.
Speaker 1: Really good, right.
Speaker 3: That's like one of my favorite things about this year is the thousand year Door remake coming out.
Speaker 1: Not this guy.
Speaker 8: I loved it.
Speaker 7: It's because, like I don't know, so many more people are talking about it and seeing how great it is that it makes me so happy.
Speaker 2: Uh. It took me a while to try out the SSX games because I was just so heavily Tony Hawk pilled that I'm like, no skateboards for life. Fuck snowboarding.
Speaker 1: And then Sean White broke down the glass ceiling there between the two Arders did yeah all right.
Speaker 2: Next email comes from Jones and Saint Paul and they write in about D and D. Hey bombinos, I love the idea of Giant Bomb actually playing a D and D game, and may have an idea that could circumvent the confusion. Dan Riker is worried he may have may interest you in Worldwide Wrestling. It's a tabletop RBG munch like D and D in the Powered by Apocalypse system, but the whole stick is that you were playing wrestlers who fit roles in craft storylines. The PBTA system OH Powered by the Apocalypse is also pretty simple to understand. It's a lot more narrative focus as opposed to being a combat simulator like GINDI just some food for thought. Also, I attended ww RAW and Saint Paul last week, the same show Dan was at and hooked. That's what I thought. Anything never set foot in Saint Paul.
Speaker 1: That's the bo he told me.
Speaker 2: Any tips for someone who is just beginning to get into wrestling in his late thirties. And if I see Dan at SmackDown, which should I shout at him? Big fan of the show? Kiss on the cheek, Jones and Saint Paul.
Speaker 3: Is your shot? Is your shot a wrestling show? Do that? That'd be great?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Boy, getting into owls all ignore the D and deep part. Just getting into wrestling in your late thirties, God.
Speaker 2: Has never been a better time.
Speaker 7: You just jump in, right, You just start watching it and keep it, keeping up with it, and then maybe eventually I just go google what's the what are the best pay per views and maybe watch some of those restaurants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there's a bunch of like YouTube, like here's the history of the Undertaker, and you can just watch that.
Speaker 5: And that's the thing, like wrestling does such a good job of It's like Nintendo, how they're constantly always switch online or any sca, here's all our old stuff. Wrestling's doing that too all the time, specifically WWE, and so like if you just start watching Raw on SmackDown, you're gonna start osmos is like picking up some stuff like oh, Cody Roads keeps talking about his dad, Let me google Cody Roads dad. And if you just put that in YouTube, there will be any number of matches and documentaries.
Speaker 1: And there's some really good documentaries.
Speaker 5: Yes, wrestling has so much coverage for so long and so many fucking podcasts, So as deep as you want to go into it, you can go into it, like if you're interested about it, like old stuff. Deadlock always has a retro review every week, you know, just oh, we're talking about this Raw from nineteen ninety eight and joking about it and what was important about it and stuff like. But just start watching the shows. I would not have said that at any point between two thousand and one and maybe like a year or two ago, because just watching the weekly shows was fucking rough for like twenty plus years. But now it it's actually really fucking good. And we'll talk about that more on the power BombCast. But just start watching it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And if the presentation of WWE doesn't necessarily hook you, there are the great thing now is that there are a lot of alternatives. If aw doesn't hook you, because it's more so focused on the matches, maybe something like uh Impact might hook you, or even New Japan.
Speaker 3: Going back to It's underground, it's not around anymore.
Speaker 1: But no, no, it didn't have like didn't have like two or three like like seasons of story that in the first two seasons. That's not a year one assignment for your I just thought it was interesting and different for sure.
Speaker 2: You know, I might suggest Luca Underground. Actually, yeah, it's I think it's on Netflix.
Speaker 3: I want to say it was at one point. Yeah, but died.
Speaker 7: People died press work, Yeah yeah, yes, talking about that D and D wrestling thing. I feel like dance reaction would be like Hank Kill when he like listens to Christian Rock, give you like catch you see you're not making d D great, You're just making pro wrestling words.
Speaker 3: It's like that's the thing.
Speaker 5: Is Like I know, e feds and stuff were always a big thing among like hardcore wrestling fans, and like I kind of dip my toe in that briefly in high school, and I was like, ah, I don't know, I don't know if I need to do this.
Speaker 7: I had a friend who did one of those like the you like mailed in like like your promos and then you got like there's like a general manager who like told you what your matches were and like what the results were.
Speaker 3: Yet seemed like the whole thing. But I would try D and D.
Speaker 5: But again, I feel like I've always heard people say like Austin Walker is the greatest dungeon guy of all time, and like I've done a couple of them and I enjoyed my time. It was we did some fun like Christmas episodes and stuff like that, but like I just don't get it, you know, and I don't know if I need to. That's not it's just without DAN is what I know. I would give it a shot and like, look, Mike, look at you. Take me to Disneyland. You know how open I was. I would go into D and D with the same mindset, but I wouldn't guarantee better.
Speaker 3: Than D D, D and D if it's wrestling D and D, though.
Speaker 8: That might be, I said, that might just make it worse.
Speaker 3: I don't know to D and D.
Speaker 7: I mean, is it is that really a big problem with D and D for you, the fact that it's fantasy and you don't like fantasy.
Speaker 5: No, it's it's just I just don't understand what the point in the end is, you know, It's like how do you win?
Speaker 3: How do you what do you do?
Speaker 5: And what's the objective? Like, and I don't think throwing wrestling on it is going to fix that, you know.
Speaker 2: Right, Bailey is thrown around and toss the idea of doing like running a wrestling campaign for us. So maybe maybe yeah, we do that for an afternoon or something.
Speaker 3: Okay, I would try it, all right?
Speaker 1: That fun.
Speaker 2: We could go into a tabletop simulator and throw some die in there.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, yeah, that would have dice.
Speaker 1: Yes, it only will be fine, no matter what it's going to have.
Speaker 3: Like, we just have better technology than dice these days.
Speaker 2: Digital dice up.
Speaker 7: Oh okay, great, it's just a random number generator. Why did the dice throw?
Speaker 5: It seems it just seems like something you know, J. R. R. Tolkien would have been doing in nineteen fifty or something like it.
Speaker 1: Just that's wrong. Well that's one wrong at too.
Speaker 3: Well, so what if it was dice is all he had?
Speaker 2: Dad?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's just it's just an efficient way of randomly assigning a number with a specific ring.
Speaker 3: You got like switches and computers and stuff.
Speaker 8: Now, yes, and all.
Speaker 3: Those games they'll just use digital dice.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Fun.
Speaker 5: That's why brother's date wasn't fun to me, because the fucking dice showed up all the time.
Speaker 2: Yet that I'll tell you what, that was one of the weird things. I don't like seeing this and visualized dice the Historically, I never liked any game with dice in it.
Speaker 3: Everyone knows that di dice killed your dog. You love dice. Craps is my favorite casino game in Mario Party is one of my favorite games of all time. But that does dice in coolays.
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: It's like Disney Fruit would.
Speaker 5: I make acision in life if I'm like, oh, I wonder ify you put these shoes on her?
Speaker 3: Those shoes.
Speaker 5: I don't roll dice. I just do the thing ands and stuff.
Speaker 3: You just act. I don't understand actions being dictated by dice.
Speaker 1: Oh, but you don't understand that there are there's variability in real world, like when you go to when you email someone to say, hey, can I get something, and like maybe they're in a bad mood, and you can't account for those variables and so all the all the dice room and all adjust right, and you don't do the game as well you are when you're but talking to them, it's still taking a chance because you don't know how they're going to react. And so the dice is just a metaphor for you not being able to account for everything in life.
Speaker 3: That's all Mike, metaphor guy.
Speaker 1: That's weird. I guess, yeah, all right, I guess you were the biggest metaphor guy in my head. I don't know where I got that mixed up.
Speaker 2: Mike, don't take this the wrong way, but I feel like you don't have one through six dice. I feel like your personal die is like five through seven you're always operating at a high I.
Speaker 3: Got them all. Oh you mean you don't mean literally?
Speaker 8: No, no, no, no, no, no, I don't.
Speaker 3: I mean that's sounded like it in soul, but I'm not really sure what it. No, it's it's just like you're down, is why?
Speaker 1: Right? You got a plus one? But yeah it's a small range, but it's a good range.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, thank you, I think yeah, yeah, tortillas. Uh, next email. I don't know who this comes from. What was your favorite board game as a child?
Speaker 3: Grape Escape?
Speaker 2: Grapest game?
Speaker 5: Do you remember that it was one where from the depression with the time. I'm going to make sure this is real on googling it. Yep, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: We found it in a parking lot, just like someone like wrote some ship on some paper.
Speaker 3: My mom's house. It was probably expensive.
Speaker 5: It's you would you would make your character out of a play dough and then it would have like little guillotines and smashers and stuff, you know, like almost like mouse trap style things. So it's like, oh, if you land on the space, your dude gets like shoot chopped in half.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Uh, And then I don't know, you had to like rebuild him or something like that. But yeah, it was a fun gimmick.
Speaker 2: I didn't like board games because I was an only child and I would have to play the board games by myself.
Speaker 8: Oh, I had cast friends, so they shut up Mike Trouble.
Speaker 7: I thought Trouble was fun, like that weird little bubble dice thing that was always Oh yeah, yeah. I always liked the idea of mouse trap and then you like putting it together forever, and they didn't want it work.
Speaker 5: I so rarely actually played the game. You just put it together and did the you know, not the Goldberg thing, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good commercial operation was fun. You like to operate operations fun profession. Monopoly is always great. There's a reason why it's you know what's good. And I'll put this over. Monopoly available on iPhones now, Oh it's okay.
Speaker 5: Is that the card game? Because we went over to bed Hanson's a couple of weeks. Wait, okay, whatever it is, it's Monopoly deal or something. It's a card game. Yeah, we went to Hanson's and and he introduced it to me. And that thing is fun as hell. It's like a lot better than the shoot monopolay.
Speaker 2: I almost ended a relationship because someone got to shoot hot at me because I kept winning a.
Speaker 7: Nice, very fine I like tribute pursuit a lot, but it's always a very difficult situation to navigate socially because there's always like somebody who like it just doesn't do quay as well.
Speaker 8: And then it's fine, but they.
Speaker 7: Feel very self conscious about it and they kind of make it everybody else's problem.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, my problem is he's too good at triv of a pursuit that he embarrasses I'm not the.
Speaker 8: Story I liked where I'm also not very good. Trust me.
Speaker 7: There's like old categories there, but it's always like what person like, It's like.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I'm so stupid.
Speaker 7: Every time they get it wrong because they're very self conscious and I get it.
Speaker 8: It's a terrified situation.
Speaker 7: Then they quit halfway through and it's kind of like it's a little weird, like what are we gonna do with this person's the pieces of somebody else want to play And then they come and they're not into it, so they're just like talking to their friend the whole time. It's like one of the is it my turn?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Oh you want to get me.
Speaker 1: You want to get me.
Speaker 3: You play a game.
Speaker 8: With me and you don't know when it's your turn.
Speaker 5: I think everyone number one, it's time we played Mario Party with Nai the world. Every time it's our turning Mari Party. We did not hit a until my first say yep, it won't be very long.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know. It's like, how do you not know it's your turn?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 8: All I am thinking about what I played. This kid was like I turned it to from now.
Speaker 7: Taking their turns be asking is it exactly? It's like like they'll be like talks like oh, I like taking a drink. Everyone's kind of staring up awkwardly. There's like a long pause like oh is it me?
Speaker 3: And I'm so badly like yes, yes, you fucking It only happened during.
Speaker 1: Anime Mari Party when it was a couple of times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 8: If you ever hear me play be like your turn, Jeff, just know, I know.
Speaker 3: You there was sometimes where you were like do you know it's your turn? How do you not know? All right?
Speaker 5: All right, So when Jambourry it comes out, you know, grubbing jan, I'm going to be working, so you do you don't need to say anything where I'm trying. I'm feeding for Mike. Okay, I'm sorry problem. Oh yeah, wait was it my turn?
Speaker 2: Is it my turn? I thought? I also enjoy playing sequence to fun board games. Board game sequence is fun. Next email is directed towards Mike. How about BombCast. I've never been big into Disney movies, but ever since I've had kids, I found myself at movie theaters watching the newer ones often. I love being around people who are passionate about things, and it's been very fun to hear Mike nerd out on all things Disney. So I was very curious to hear Mike's thoughts on Disney's newer movies like Strange World and Wish, which have gone very negative reception. I didn't think it was that bad. Also, any discussion on your favorite newer Disney movies would be fun too.
Speaker 7: I did not like Wish, I thought, which I used this word for for the Cressy Masters. I thought Wish was kind a pathetic with all its weird callbacks, and it's just formulaic and it was pretty lame. I didn't even see Strange worlds. It kind of just bunned me out. How much of a bomb that one was, which was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Have to watch at some point. But I mean I like a lot of the the new ones from before. I think Wowana is actually fantastic. I like Frozen one a lot. Actually Frozen two is, but the music is very good. Frozen yeah, reck at Ralph two is, but reck at Ralph one. I mean it's a Disney movie about video games. That movie rules. So I think they still make plenty of good movies. They have some misses, but I.
Speaker 1: Agree with this as a parent taking a kid to a movie. Whish is fine. It's not that bad, and they've rewatched a bunch of times, and I think some of the music is kind of catchy, even though it's not clearly not as catchy as a lot of the stuff they've done recently. It's fine.
Speaker 2: Big Hero six is great. Max is a great I saw them.
Speaker 8: Oh, Zutopia is very good also, I saw him.
Speaker 3: I wanted a bunch of blue Ey over the weekend.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's very good. They just Disney just distributes that in the US. But I do like blue.
Speaker 2: I was surprised at how big Zootopia was in Tokyo. Disney, like multiple people Disney Bounding so much as Zutopia merch. It was weird.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it was big here, but it's huge I think in a lot of the Asian countries. Uh, you should watch there's a Zutopia ride in the Shanghai Disneyland that's basically uses that Rise of the Resistance trackless technology. It's a very advanced, very advanced line. It looks really cool. But yeah, they're making a Zutopia too, so they're they're not done with Utopia.
Speaker 2: My favorite, I guess not modern Disney movie, because this came out ten years ago, was the last theatrical animated Winnie the Pooh movie.
Speaker 7: I did like that movie, and not very many people saw it. I thought that it was very fun at good music. I like, I'm a big Winnie the Pooh guy. Though I like Winnie the Pooh. I think came out like the same weekend as the last Terry Potter movie, right, yeah, like try to even like try to like puck fun of that and like the commercials. I was like, oh, that's a bad idea, you shouldn't do that, actually, but they did so.
Speaker 1: Oh well.
Speaker 2: It just has the best joke in it where some of the characters are down in a hole and they're just yelling at piglic Can you not? Can you not not? It's great, it's great.
Speaker 8: Who's on first?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: In Kanto also very good?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, in Conto, I forgot about Conto.
Speaker 7: Conto is fantastic again, very very good music.
Speaker 8: Yes that one.
Speaker 2: If you were ever a fan of Brooklyn ninety nine and Rosa Diaz's character, seeing Stephanie Beatrice like complete switch in playing some someone super bubbly with a high voice, it's amazing to see.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Next email comes from Yawie Bunga good name, Good name, High Bomb Crew. I have built a human sized microwave. For every one second you spend it the microwave, you will receive ten thousand US dollars untaxed. How long will you spend in the microwave? You only get one turn in the microwave, So you just so you can't just do one second per day for the rest of your life.
Speaker 3: One go.
Speaker 2: That's it. Good luck and good cooking. Yawiebunga zero wants to make a moga solid for joke. First, Zero, really damn not even a second in the microwaves aren't like ovens.
Speaker 3: If this is like an oven situation.
Speaker 5: It's like, all right, it's gonna be really hot in microwaves are gonna like scramble your atoms and fuck up your brain or like I'm not fucking with that water.
Speaker 1: It mostly hits like the microwaves normally like hit the moisture inside.
Speaker 2: They sap the water, and we're like.
Speaker 1: Eighty percent water, not fucking touching it like our eyeballs. Our eyeballs are just sacks of water and they're like right there on the surface. My guess would be even a second would probably do some damage to I don't think you'd be dead, but I think you would do some damage to like clear clear your skin. But I think it could do like permanent damage to something in your eye can with that, I don't think if your eyelids are thinking, I'm thinking enough to stop all those microwaves.
Speaker 5: Like if your microwave like a big thing of meat or something, the center is cold, so maybe it would just get your like outer parts and like you're inner, You're not.
Speaker 3: Gonna die for a second, okay, But but I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Even do it a second second was like unless I had like a lot of evidence before me saying that like like the sensitive areas, all the sensitive.
Speaker 2: Areas would be fine. After a second, I absolutely will not do it. No, microwaves are weird. We've had those forever.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Other ways to make ten thousand dollars. Like, we could figure something out if I had to make ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll open up body, it's fine. Yeah, I'll open up those jams. We'll we could happen. I'll put these dsls out there.
Speaker 7: Guys would if you had to if like something happens, like you need ten thousand dollars in a week.
Speaker 1: I wonder what all would start. I would get a second job maybe a week. You're gonna get a job in a week and get your first paycheck? No, that money's due in a week.
Speaker 3: There's email, email a lot of companies. Yeah that yeah, probably learned ship.
Speaker 1: I would be. I would sell stuff, but I would also put on like a community center, like dance party, thing like let's race money thermometer.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's sorry, it's money for me. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know. I would just have a fake big check and say that I'm going to reward this to someone. You have to donate money to me, I'd start a cult.
Speaker 1: Oh probably, I think by day six you would have the money coming in.
Speaker 5: Should we have a competition so you can start and run the most successful cult?
Speaker 7: Sure well I already have. I have Illuminati as the name, so I already am like way ahead of the curve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could just deal with something with like I don't know, ex Catholics or whatever.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, there are. They're raring to get.
Speaker 2: Exactly they're starving to believe in something again because of all that latent Catholic guilt.
Speaker 3: All right, and go.
Speaker 8: Start start.
Speaker 3: We all sprint out of the room.
Speaker 7: Uh, I know that's about to I was like, wait, it's gonna sound like the classest thing. And I've gotten to that well too many times. We have one more and I want to save it to the.
Speaker 1: Brother one kid that doesn't eat the marshmallow. He's like saving last one.
Speaker 3: What a good boy thinking about these?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, I'm gonna go to this underground ma Soong den and start talking about people's like I never feel like you don't belong. Someone should look for a place where like you feel at home there it is I tell you what I think people at underground, Masha would be like, very good targets for your I'm sit You're thinking of what the first move I would make, and for some reason, the first thing that came to mind is we would have trampolines.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was the worst thing that's right to mind. So my cold has trampolines. That's step one.
Speaker 3: What I'm afraid to ask this? What is the target? Democrat that out? But if the trampoline cult sounds fun, let's talk.
Speaker 1: It. Wait are you doing a cult like the Man Show? Like what.
Speaker 3: Trampoline? Yeah? Have you been to like these modern trampoline parks that they make?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, You're tired real quick.
Speaker 1: The best.
Speaker 7: Yeah, one of the best parts about knowing kids. It's like, I guess we'll take you to the trampoline park. You just can't bouts around like you.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing.
Speaker 5: My cult uniform is you wear the bel Crow suits that are like the jumpsuits covering a bell crow. And all the walls in my trampoline park cult headquarters are Belcrow So you can just jump up and just yeah, what what.
Speaker 1: Is your mouth? Fun? Even?
Speaker 3: What is it? What?
Speaker 5: Belief in trampoline trampolines? You don't get fun. Fun is the number one thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, because.
Speaker 3: Dan is teaching.
Speaker 2: Dan is teaching everyone about the ups and downs of life, and sometimes you just want to get stuck on something.
Speaker 1: The cults called the fun Factory. Yeah, a bunch of tubes you can walk through. It serves cheap pizza you can and the.
Speaker 2: Party sign spinning all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Called the Discovery Zone.
Speaker 3: Actually, we got mascots.
Speaker 5: We had lots of mascots, and everybody gets to turn the mascot suit if you want, you stand outside, spend the sign.
Speaker 3: You know, very soon that's gonna be non voluntary. I meant everyone to put on your mascot suits. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The self discovery Zone is pretty good.
Speaker 3: Zapy good. Oh it's good.
Speaker 1: Everything.
Speaker 5: Gimmick water. We don't have any shoot water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, yeah, I can smell the pickle giraffe, now I can.
Speaker 1: I can smell.
Speaker 5: We end every day by going into like there's different stations where everybody has to do fifty turns of Mario party before bed, and there's like a persistent scoring system, like a Grand Prix style scoring system.
Speaker 3: There's a tournament every year and then this isn't It's just a bad sleepover.
Speaker 2: Isn't that what all cults are Mike.
Speaker 1: When you think about it, Bam kool aid I had.
Speaker 5: A little sleepover after you left where we figured out your Blake Club game.
Speaker 7: Yep, as soon as you left. I'm excited tomorrow. You guys have to tell me what platform it's on. While during should we just do it?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 8: Just wait for Blake Club, Wait for Club?
Speaker 2: Right, this is a this is a hot Sclusy. This is news.
Speaker 5: You can get people to watch the Okay, all right, Mike?
Speaker 2: Oo do you have Oh god, I don't know why I still play?
Speaker 5: Okay, Sclusy, do you and your house have a working Nintendo?
Speaker 3: We?
Speaker 1: Or we?
Speaker 3: All right? The game is on the way, and so is your outfit. It's already been mailed. Oh not the fun.
Speaker 1: We we were just losing it at like, looking at this, it was more than we expected.
Speaker 8: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 8: Motion controls?
Speaker 1: Oh? We picked the Wii because the better graphics virtual console super Metroid. I'm like insulted a little bit, Mike. What are you doing?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Let's show you a little fun control controler you're.
Speaker 5: Doing you need a nunchuck and you need a we mote and you'll be moving both of them brother.
Speaker 1: So much, there's so much waggle. I'm not happy about this at all.
Speaker 3: What the fuck I've.
Speaker 7: Been so it like, almost as soon as the Wii was done, I'm like, I don't think I like you your outpit.
Speaker 5: I'll give you this your outpit. Definitely one of the easiest ones.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not using face paid again. Definitely, nothing like that. It's pretty straightforward.
Speaker 5: You're only getting a couple packages in the mail, So folks at home, if you have not tuned into Blake Club yet, Grub is finishing up Dai Katana either tomorrow or next week most likely, and then we're moving on to Minati and he's pressing out his WI.
Speaker 8: You have a name figured out?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: We've got art has been made.
Speaker 2: There's already art. I've seen it it.
Speaker 8: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 7: Oh, I did want to get out the way you at least because I want to play Metal Prime Trilogy.
Speaker 5: Well you can play this, so you're good for that. Yeah, I'll get at the art right now, and it's really good, you know what. I'm going to look at it right now to ye.
Speaker 8: All right, all right, all right.
Speaker 3: Shouts the share.
Speaker 1: I'm again for help.
Speaker 3: It's really good.
Speaker 2: That's so good.
Speaker 3: Wow, if I google bad we games, you think i'd find it?
Speaker 8: Should stop myself.
Speaker 3: I mean try, you.
Speaker 1: Need to try. I don't care. I don't think. I don't think you're gonna find.
Speaker 8: It necessarily, like worst wee games.
Speaker 7: Sometimes looking up these worst games ever list, somebody who's actually not experienced a lot of the worst games.
Speaker 3: They don't get You're not They're not on our level.
Speaker 8: They really aren't. They really just aren't on our level.
Speaker 2: For some reason. I couldn't get this out of my head. But I feel like Grubs Cult would like at the end of the night, would just pass around like a like a ten foot sub a ham sub.
Speaker 1: Sammy Sammy and a shared gord of Shereva made.
Speaker 2: As you had a bite and pass it Down's like it's anisa guy.
Speaker 3: Wow, there's a big list of bad wee games. There are a lot of bad wee games.
Speaker 1: So we had to break the seal on the Wii sooner rather than later. Like, I'm glad we're.
Speaker 3: Here and this is the right one.
Speaker 2: I imagine both of you and like Grubb's basement behind him, like on your tummies if your feet kept kicking up in the air giggling to.
Speaker 1: Get on the grounds to compute. The keyboard has bad batteries, so I had to get close to the thing, so I was kind of on the ground, like hunched over. We were eating Papa John's after a long night at SummerSlam. It was a good time. Yep. Yeah.
Speaker 3: We did not waiver once we saw more of this, Yes, like.
Speaker 1: Only confirmed more that it was important. Yeah, and I don't know. I'll be surprised if anyone necessarily guesses it, but who knows. If someone doesn't, we're going to be no selling it. So go go to.
Speaker 5: Town and when we reveal it, if you're like, oh weird, just let's watch him play, because we've seen enough cliffs where it's like, oh wow, Okay. We do our research for Blake Club. We did bad games seriously. Yes, yes, that's the motto.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that about does it. For emails, you can send your emails to bombcasts at GiantBomb dot com. Send any and virtually everything you want to that email address. This week, like Dan mentioned, we have Blake Club. Perhaps the finale of Daika Grubbah Grub Katana happening tomorrow, as well as a game as mornings throughout the rest of the week. Power BombCast popping off on Thursday this week, right before the Voicemail Dump Truck also popping off on Thursday. UPF this week will be celebrating the Olympics by having our own Olympics because I am an Olympian. If you guys didn't tune into UPF last week, we will be playing Nintendo Switch Sports and competing against each other in various spurts and seeing who reigns supreme in their respective sports. Basketball is out now been out?
Speaker 1: Yep, Yeah, it's been out for a few weeks now, all right.
Speaker 3: You don't need to strap on gimmick for that day.
Speaker 1: No, it's just it's just like you know, like in the joy Con, Yeah, the joy Con, but the velcrow thing that came with it, right, Oh shoot, but like the one you're like wearing your leg for like some of the soccer.
Speaker 3: Yeah that.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think you're gonna need that for basketball.
Speaker 2: Okay, I need to strubbor if I have that game anyway. Uh, gentlemen, what do we learned today? We learned the grub wins all of the Arcade games and excluding pin bowling, beyond Good and Evil is actually kind of Italian. We learned that Mike Minatti loves raw dogging tortillas. We also learned this. We already knew this, but fuck game stop shouts out to the game and former homies. We hope they find some stuff soon. We also learned that Dan almost got inside an exosuit, and there's never been a better time to get into wrestling, and that Austin Walker is the greatest dungeon guy. Does it have motion controls? There's so much waggle in this game. It's gonna be so much waggle. I could see Mike, not his face. His brow is furrowed. He's trying to find out what his blight will be if.
Speaker 3: He looks like a human waggle.
Speaker 1: Come on, you should like this.
Speaker 5: Cosbod says. A lot of these Bad Week games are only like an hour long.
Speaker 3: Not this one. Brother, Oh that was.
Speaker 1: Very important because I'm not gonna stump through Diktana to give this fuck or some half piece of shit.
Speaker 3: How could there be a waggle game that's more than two hours long?
Speaker 5: We did our research, Mike, oh boy, does it for the Giant Bomb Cast.
Speaker 2: I've been Jan, he's been Jeff, he's been dead, and Mike looks like.
Speaker 3: He's about to be miserable.
Speaker 2: We'll see you next week for another episode of the Giant Bobcast.
Speaker 3: We'll see that. Uh.
Speaker 2: Check out Mike's arracles once they hit embargo proper times.
Speaker 3: It's like gouxy quest Galaxy question.
Speaker 1: At the games beat.
Speaker 2: Dot com read about the Galaxy question, sons of bitches. That's right, that's how much treats his cult members, the sons of bitches.
Speaker 3: I'm real top on them.
Speaker 2: But now I left you up when you're really down, and then you go to the trampoline park with Dan and you just stay.
Speaker 3: There there it is, Oh.
Speaker 2: Stay on your black good bye. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: Come yeah,