Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Western Sieve. In today's Bonus Interview, I'm sitting down with Attorney Edward Cohen, and we're going to talk about some issues that I think are things that everybody should be invested in. We're going to talk about the efficacy of plea bargaining and whether or not it's fair or joust or maybe it's just more efficient, which is important. Don't get me wrong, I think that it is. We're also going to talk about the value of the Fifth and then the Fourth Amendments, your right against self incrimination, and your right to be free from unlawful searches and seizures.
Speaker 2: All these things are important, and all of them are.
Speaker 1: Kind of in the political zeitgeist as it were right now. Then this is a little bit of a different interview. Mister Attorney Cohen, excuse me, is not coming here to sell you anything. He's just coming to share some of his expertise. And since this is an area that I'm kind of familiar with because of past experience as well, you know, I thought it would be interesting to hear him out, and so I hope you enjoyed the interview. I think it's an episode where you'll learn something and hopefully come away with some important tidbits of advice should you ever find yourself in an unfortunate situation, and I truly hope that you don't, or maybe that you know someone that does.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Without further ado, after these quick messages, here is an interview with Attorney Edward Cohan, and we're going to talk about a lot of things.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back.
Speaker 1: So, as I mentioned in the introduction, we're doing something a little bit different today. You know, we're going to do some more contemporary stuff, but I mean we might get into the history of some of these things as well. So I am sitting down, as we mentioned in talking to a Atorney Edward Cone, and we're going to be talking about a bunch of different things today. But I think that these are interesting subjects that I think everybody deserves the right to know about. And certainly if you've ever been touched by the justice system, you know, I'm very fond of telling kids that the the of the three branches that we're involved in, you are more likely to be touched by the judicial system than the other two. Directly, that is more most likely than going to.
Speaker 3: Be the case.
Speaker 1: And I think We're going to start today by discussing plea bargaining, and everybody probably has a rudimentary understanding of what that is. But I think what I'm going to start with, Attorney Cone, is by asking you what is plea bar Let's define it for the audience for those who aren't aware, and give me your sort of first opinions, and then I think we'll go back and forth and debate this a little bit. Is it's kind of in my wheelhouse as well?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, so I think so. Plea bargaining is generally where a person's charged with a crime and this states or or the government uh offers them some sort of uh non trial resolution which is negotiated usually between a defense counsel and the prosecutor and the case and the goal is to try to keep you know, the the courts flowing the and not getting bogged down on cases that should not be litigated. And often it's good for the defendant, certainly, especially in a case where they're guilty. They could uh get an offer that they maybe not maybe we're not get otherwise, and and perhaps maybe even doing probation or some sort of depending on the crime. Of course, you know, how serious the crime is, avoid doing some jail time, things of that nature. And usually it's pretty ef I would say, you know, eighty percent of the time it's going to work out well usually for both sides to resolve the case. And then, of course there's the twenty percent of the time where it's not where a person's going to feel like they're kind of forced into settling the case, where they don't feel good about pleading guilty to something, or they think that they have a good case to go to trial, and you know, sometimes they weigh those things and a person can end up pleading guilty to something that they didn't do to avoid going to trial and losing and going to prison. So those are the downsides of it. Most of the time it works out pretty well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting, you know.
Speaker 1: So first of all, what I want the audience, I want you to also understand about plea bargaining is, let's say you reach an agreement with the states or the federal government for that matter. What every client needs to understand, the defendant needs to understand is well, that's not an ironclad thing, because it is in every jurisdiction I've ever been in.
Speaker 2: Ultimately up to.
Speaker 1: The judge to decide what is the fairest and most correct response in the matter, and we can kind of have a I guess a little bit of a philosophical debate about some of that if we want to, and why don't we just we'll start there for a moment and talk about, you know, is there value in plea bargaining when the party that's going to be executing the sentence, which is the judge, is the person that's going to be handing it down, isn't privy to it until they're told what it is in court?
Speaker 2: You know, Should a.
Speaker 1: Client be allowed to rescind a guilty plea if the judge is not going to go along with the plea agreement? I mean, that's I think that's a reasonable debate. What do you think about that? And I give you my thoughts in a moment too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I absolutely think that a defender should be allowed to withdraw their decision to plead get if the judge is not going to go along with what was agreed to. I think that that, uh, that should be a you know, a nationwide rule that you know, you should be able to get out of it if the judge says, hey, that this is not kosher. I don't think this is a good result. Maybe they don't feel maybe they don't feel that it's uh makes sense or logical. But pardon me, sorry about that though it's my fault and uh anyway, So yeah, I mean, I do think a defendant should be able to get out of that situation in those circumstances. Most of the time, as as as you in your experience to probably adamants, you know, judges usually go along with whatever the parties work out. You know, most of the time, they're they're cool with it, unless it sounds really a lopsided for some reason. But yeah, I mean, like if there's a if there's are if there's an agreement to no jail, for example, and a court says, well, I'm inclined to give your clients some time because I think it's kind of a heinous offense, then the defendant should be allowed to withdraw us plea and not you know, answer into that agreement and go to trial or whatever he or she wants to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of interesting though.
Speaker 1: I think I was trying to think back of it while you were talking. I think I can actually only remember one time when a judge informed everyone on the record, listen, I'm not going to go along with this, So you can withdraw your plea if you want to.
Speaker 2: Most of the time, you.
Speaker 1: Know, well, I guess that's not true, because sometimes, you know, you have a general agreement as to what's going to happen, and then you're arguing over let's say, the amount of conditional jail time or something like that, and then in that circumstance, there's no expectation of having it. But I think the overall question that people have about plea argans a lot of the time is like, well, what is what's more important to a society, efficiency and efficacy or getting the right answer? Not to say that juries always do, but you know, where should we come down on that spectrum? And I think it's a fair debate, and I could take either sides of everyone.
Speaker 3: You don't, Yeah, it's definitely a fair debate, Adam, I I agree. I think that. I mean, in my view, I think the nature of the offenses should govern that whole equation essentially. So if you know, violent criminals should should certainly not be getting good good deals that non violent criminals get. I mean, so if they're a threat to society, if they're a danger, if they committed us, you know, a violent offense, for they attempted murder, murder, raped, something like, you know, excessive, then those people certainly should not get the same kind of uh expectations that a non violent criminal would. So, uh, that's my position on it. I think I.
Speaker 1: Guess I'm I'm I'm a little bit of an outlier on this part of it. Is just the simple fact that I love trials and really enjoy enjoyed that part of the process when I was doing it. So I think I tend to come down more on the side of here's what I'll offer if the person wants to plead guilty. If not, that's fine, we'll try the case, you know, because that's what the We built this court for that reason.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: We spent all this money, and this wood is this mahogany is really nice, so maybe we should let some people see it from time to time. I would argue, and you can disagree with me on this if you want to, that the efficacy of plea bargaining is undercut, not primarily by the plea bargaining process itself, that is actually undercut by the bail process, and that there's a tremendous power imbalance that winds up being created when a defendant cannot post bail and has to sit in jail awaiting the outcome of the case. That the problem isn't how we're bargaining. The problem is that process. That if we could fix that, then that would level the scales a little bit more.
Speaker 2: What do you think agreed? Disagree?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yes, I mean, I mean I would agree with that as a general rule. I think that again, I think it comes down to the nature of the offense. I mean, uh, you know, not violent criminals should not be getting bail or low bail or easy bail because society might you know, be affected by that. And I'm a defense lawyer and I'm saying that, I mean, nobody wants violent criminals on the street who could harm other people if they're being charged with the violent offense. That being said, you know, there are people who who you know, who do wind up sitting in jail longer than they should waiting for their case to be resolved because they can't afford to to bond out. And uh, you know that's I think that's incredibly unfair and and certainly as long as they're not a threat to society, and you know, they should be able to uh to not have to sit in jail waiting for their trial. You know, they have a right to a speedy trial. But but we we we we both know that that speedy is not really speedy, right, It's it's it's not speedy. It's it's uh, there's there's nothing speedy about the justice system at all. It's it's it's a slow process that people hate being involved in when they're there. But uh uh yeah, yeah, I mean I think it's a sexial like you mentioned Adam to to to you know, balance those things out, and so that's that's my take on it.
Speaker 1: But even you know, thinking about the violent offender that you brought up, because you know, the purpose of bail is is usually usually two things. It's it's to ensure the person, the guy it's usually a guy sorry, sorry, folks, shows up you know, to court.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's step one.
Speaker 1: Step two is you know, okay, well, maybe we have to protect the public from some of these things, you know, but unless you have someone who is a you know, just an absolute habitual offender, you know, I would always argue, well, well, the public can be protected by bail conditions.
Speaker 2: So those who aren't aware of what I'm.
Speaker 1: Talking about is that the court can set the bail. Let's just say they said it one hundred thousand dollars is a bad case, Okay, something something bad happens, But then they can also set conditions on that.
Speaker 2: And in the federal system.
Speaker 1: I could have you checking in with a US Probation and Parole agent if I want it to, or if the judge wanted to. And we don't, by the way, normally set cash bail in federal court. We always kind of took the position of we either think you're going to show up or you're not, and that's all that there is to it. So, you know, to to that extent, I would argue, no, I don't think that that. I don't think that the bail should be overly set because frankly, we can deal with it with conditions. And also, isn't this guy innocent until proven guilty?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's a great point, and there's they're certainly supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. Yeah, I get it. Yeah, I think that, you know, I've you know, Over the twenty three years that I've been been a lawyer, I haven't had any issues with bail for any of my clients because most of them are you know, are haven't been horrific or you know, super violent people, so there was never a major dispute about it. But yes, I understand, and I certainly from a from a laypersons standpoint, if a person you know gets charged there, you know, their their first offense, their first time they're in the system, they may be shocked about how the process works and and how how bail can high and then it's showed and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I also think one of the problems, and I hate these by the way, I hate bail schedules. Bail schedules are when the usually when the I actually hate it when the legislature intervenes in general in the court system. I don't like it when they're structuring mandatory minimum sentences or changing the way that things function. A mandatory minimum, folks, would be like a floor to say like, Okay, if somebody does X, Y or Z, you cannot sentence them below.
Speaker 2: Whatever that number is.
Speaker 1: And to me that's always just been utterly pointless, Like no, judge would ever go below it's a you know, a first degree sexual assault case. No judge is going to go below that number anyway. It's it's absolutely pointless to put it in there, and all it does is it takes the ability of the court to be versatile away. And I hate bail schedules for the same reason. The bail schedule is typically when the legislature says, well, this is how much the bail is going to be set for these things, Because then what happens is you may have an indigent person, a very poor person, who can't actually set one hundred and fifty dollars cash bail, believe it or not, maybe three hundred dollars for a petty offense, and so now they're sitting in jail because of it. To me, that is grossly unjust and grossly unfair.
Speaker 2: Do you have on.
Speaker 1: Bail schedules in Arizona where you practice.
Speaker 3: No, we don't. I mean, so it's not an issue here. I mean, yes, I'm familiar with it. I've practiced in three different states over the years, But no issues with that here. As far as as far as a bail schedule, I would agree that we really shouldn't have the legislature involved in setting these things, because we want abundant discretion to be with the courts, because you know, make your arguments, and if your argument is good, then the judge he or she is gonna you know, hopefully be logical and reasonable that situation. So yeah, I would agree with that. That makes no sense to have any kind of preset things that takes the discretion out of the judge's hands. So it's good to have it there where it should be.
Speaker 1: I think the most egregious example of that that I encountered was there was a rule I actually don't know if it's in place anymore, but there was a rule in the federal system at least that there was a five year mandatory minimum if it was a drug offense that involved a gun, if they found a gun you know there, and I distinctly remember one young man who, you know, he had essentially a hunting rifle, was arrested with not a very large amount of marijuana, okay, but received a five year mandatory minimum sentence because there was nothing that the judge could do about it. That to me, is a complete miscarriage of justice. That's not how the system should operate.
Speaker 3: Agree, Yeah, I agree with that. I think that that's overkill. What's the point of putting that guy in jail for five here? I mean, people who do things that are far worse get less time than that. So yes, I'm not a big fan of that kind of mandatory minimum either.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you know, part of it is is, you know, you always I worked with a there's a federal judge once since she kept a post a note on her computer with just the number that it costs to incarcerate someone for one year, just as a reminder of what all this is, because I think we have to remember at the end of the day that you know, the United States incarcerates more people than anywhere else on the planet Earth, all right, and that's more than authoritarian China, more than Iran. And then some you know, the IRGC might just kill them, so that might not that's maybe not an issue they have. But you know, the point of it is, you know, for for a society. And I'll just ask you a question on this, because I think it's a good philosophical question for a society that prides itself so much on liberty and equality and it's justice system, Why are we throwing so many Americans in prison for so long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's ah, that's the mystery. It's it's a great point, I mean, with the point you made at them with with with being Americans. Liberty is so precious to us, and and it's you know, freedom of this, freedom of that, freedom of the other thing. You know, there's all kinds of freedoms that that we that that we value. So why are there so many people in jail? Uh? I think that's you know that that's probably the subject of a of a thesis for somebody who wants to write their PhD on Hunter or something. You know, it's like very complex, very complex question because you know, I would say in my experience, most states, if they're if they're non violent, their risk of doing time is far less than somebody who's violent. I mean, I just did so. And of course if they have an extent it's a criminal record, you know, that makes them more susceptible to to doing time. And sometimes it's unavoidable because certain states have sentenencing guidelines that they go by or statute says you know that X, y Z, and those things make things complicated. If someone has a prior record, So as you as you mentioned before, with mandatory minimums, you know, it's a challenging subject. Definitely a challenging subject that that is difficult to answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of the things that I always kept, you know, I mentioned the judge who had the number for the amount that each person was going to cost the taxpayers, because we have to pay for this at some point, and that's something that we have to remember.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We can all applaud, you know, like a massive sentence for a relatively small thing, some things like well, that good, that person's gone, but it's like, yes, but that's going to cost you. You know, not only is it going to cost you what it takes to incarcerate them, but that is a person that is no longer a part of the economy in a productive sentence, in any way, shape or form. They are now purely a drag on society. And so the number that I always kept in my mind was the number thirty two.
Speaker 2: And the reason that.
Speaker 1: I kept that in my mind was because studies have shown that reviticism, the chances of you reoffending plummet if you're a male after the age of thirty two. So like on once you get to that age, the odds of you continuing to reoffend go down almost to zero in most cases, which is kind of remarkable. And it's kind of remarkable that we don't see that more often. Are those arguments that you ever hear. It's something that I would bring up quite frequently.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a great statistic. No, I was unaware of that specific number, and I am. I think it's fascinating. I think it's fascinating that. I mean that males over, you know, thirty two are over, you know, they're their chance of repeating, of being a repeat defender. Plumbt. I would say that that, you know, that's a great number that the legislators in different states need to take into account so that they can, you know, so that sentencing guidelines make sense, you know, because it there seems to be a trial penalty. And I Protestant in Michigan, Massachusetts and Arizona all over the years, and there's a trial penalty like it seems in every state that that I've practiced in, where if you go to trial and you lose, you're gonna get hammered, you know, with with more time than had you pled pled guilty or perhaps zero time if if you plead guilty. So those things certainly play a role as well. And uh, I think that number is an is an important number that needs to be taken into account for sure.
Speaker 1: Kind of pushing on that point too, I don't how is that fair? Like, how is it fair that someone who exercises a right that they have under the constitution to a trial by jury.
Speaker 2: It's in the constitution, folks. You can go look it up right now if you want to.
Speaker 1: How is it fair to punish someone purely for executing that right. They may feel that they are innocent, and isn't that they're right? I mean, why should they be punished for that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's unfair as well. I mean I've always thought thought it was unfair. It's just a reality that that people have to deal with, and so they have to weigh that with the in the plea burnening process. Okay, so what are they going to face if they try it and lose? What? You know? And I don't have an easy answer as to how to you know, resolve that issue. It's definitely unfair. It's certainly unfair, and I'm sure judges find it to be unfair too if they have sentencing guidelines to go by by statute, the guidelines say, okay, the person has to get you know, a minimum of two and a half years for whatever for for for this offense. And uh, you know it's punitive for sure, you know, even even potentially for somebody who's guilty. You know, if somebody committed a defense but but thinks that the case against them is weak, why why can't they Why can't they try the case and and uh and see what happens or kind of roll the dice. And I think that the issue of judicial economy comes in there. You know, you don't want to waste money having a trial or you know, in a situation where the person should have been smarter to take a plea bargain. But yeah, that's always been something that's been a sticking point for me too over the years, and thankfully I haven't had to deal with it too often.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's to me, it's always again one of those questions. And when whenever that happens, you know that there were some judges who would say, okay, well put the deal on the record first and have the person say that they don't want it, and we'll go to trial and then they'll get something else if they lose.
Speaker 2: Right then and there, it seems to me like.
Speaker 1: The whole like we're actually pulling the curtain back from the machine for a second, and we're saying like, Okay, this is actually just about efficiency. This isn't actually about justice, this is this is just purely about efficiency, and we're just going to let you know it right now, you know. And that's and and to me, that's always struck me as a little bit unfair. Like if you think it's a reasonable offer to extend to a defendant, then how does them exercising their constitutional right make that an unreasonable proposition going forward like that? To me, I've always been a little bit surprised when judges do that. Then I've always been I mean, I know why. I know why, because they don't want it to come back on you know, appeal and all that. But like it seems silly. But speaking of constitutional rights, I want to talk to you and ask you a little bit about it.
Speaker 2: Issue that was in the news just the other day.
Speaker 1: You know, for those who are unaware, the always forget think a center for disease or something like that. Anthony Faucip, You guys remember the COVID guy right like he was. He was just before Congress, and I think over one hundred times pled the fifth, which is your your constitutional right not to incriminate themselves. But at then this morning they voted in committee and it sounds like charges will be referred to the Department of Justice for him exercising that right. And it seems like the argument is, well, he received a pardon for his conduct during COVID, so you know he shouldn't be allowed to take the Fifth. I disagree with that for reasons I can get into, but I wanted to ask you what you thought about it, because I do think the Fifth Amendment is one of the most important and next to the Fourth, which we can get to in a second, most important amendments that we have that protects us. So what is your just sort of gut feeling about that situation, given your given your years of sperience and role in the courtroom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's a complex question. So when I first see the question objectively, and I'm I'm looking at it, I'm thinking, Number one, he has a right to invoke the Fifth as often as he wants. Why should he be a witness against himself? He doesn't have to be, So why would he want to be moreover his attorney, whoever that attorney is, Because he had an attorney with him. As I recall, you know, it would be malpractice for the attorney not to tell him to invoke the fifth. He has to tell him to do that so he doesn't incriminate himself. So you got to you got an attorney bound by these ethical rules that you know, I can't let my client screw up here, So just you know, take the fifth every time, which is what any good lawyer would tell their client to do. And at the same time, you want, you know, the Congress wants answers, the public wants answers. So from a pure criminal standpoint, I think that you know that you know, he absolutely to invoke the fifth there if he thinks he's going to incriminate himself, and his lawyer has to tell him to do that. So if those two things are in play, you know, it's not really going to be a substantive hearing or a helpful hearing. You know, it's not going to be. I mean, I think he's kind of caught between a rock and a hard place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I tend I mean, obviously I agree with you on that. I think I'm a stickler for the constitution folks, So sorry about that, but like, I think we did spend a lot of time working on this, and like we should probably stick with it.
Speaker 2: It's worked for Turnered in some years.
Speaker 1: I didn't go back to tour in fifty because that goes back to the Declaration of Independence with preseeds the constitution.
Speaker 2: Guys, look it up. We had the Articles of Confederation. It was a thing. It sucked.
Speaker 1: But you know, for me, it comes down to this question of and I'm going to be honest with and please don't send me an angry email. Okay, please don't send me an angry email, because I'm not familiar with the full text of the pardon that doctor Fauci received. But what I'm wondering is, you know, does it cover perjury, you know, because it could be well, we're not looking for answers about what happened during COVID, you know, we're just looking for what Honestly, I think most of the time on both sides of the Aisle Congress is just looking for sound bites for social media.
Speaker 2: They don't actually want to do anything.
Speaker 1: But you know, there maybe they're just looking for contempt because I don't a pardon for conduct in COVID if correct me, if I'm wrong, that that would protect him from a contempt or from a perjury proceeding if he contradicts himself.
Speaker 3: Right, No, we no, we're not. And and I haven't seen the actual pardon either, but that's an excellent point. I think that, you know, I mean, uh, regardless of the pardon, he doesn't have immunity to testify against Conrad right openly. And you know he hasn't been granted that. And whatever his pardon was for, it was probably for something specific or semi specific. And so yeah, I mean I think that he I think that any smart person in his situation. What I don't like Anthony Fauci just you know, I don't think he did a good job. And I think there's a lot of a lot of crap going on there. But still, I mean, as a you know, as an objective attorney, I would say that, you know, taking the fifth is completely smart. His attorney told him to do it, he's listening to counsel. His counsel I think, must tell him to do that in that situation. So there's it's kind of like unavoidable. I think if they're you know, if they really think that he committed something outside of the guidelines of whatever that pardon is, then then you know, refer to the Justice Department and see what happens, you know, I mean, but otherwise, just trying to get him just to tell a lie under oath, yeah, I don't think is very honorable, you know, just it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I tend to agree with you.
Speaker 1: And you know, I go, I go back and forth on Anthony Fauci, and you know, he by the way, you can look him up back by the way, there's like a you can go all the way back into the I.
Speaker 2: Believe George H. W.
Speaker 1: Bush era, and some of the past history on him during the AIDS epidemic wasn't particularly great either. So you know, it's I'm not an apologist for the guy, but you know, as I said, I am an apologist for the Constitution, and I don't think that we should be engaging in fishing expeditions.
Speaker 2: Like like you just said.
Speaker 1: If look, if you think that you have charges that you can bring against him, and I've had conversations with attorneys about this then then bring the charges. We'll have a trial you know, or you know, or we'll have motions about it. We don't need to we don't we don't need to go this bizarre run around through it. But let's let's transition again. I do want to talk about the Fourth Amendment because I'm fascinated by the Fourth Amendment, you know, and actually before we get going, can you just go ahead and give a quick two second overview or the a couple second overview of the Fourth Amendment, because let's make sure everybody knows what the heck we're talking about.
Speaker 3: A certain seizure basically is the is what uh the Amendment protect people from. So so basically, you know, uh, people have a right to not be searched or stopped by police and you know, unless they had probable cause to do so. And it's most commonly in criminal cases where someone gets pulled over and you know, when can the police search the vehicle? When can they search the trunk? When can they you know, how do those things come into play? And so generally speaking of they the police have to get a warrant to to do law a lawful search. You know, it depends on that the facts of every case, you know, each each each case is different. But it's obviously important because you don't want someone searching your house without a warrant. You don't want to start someone searching your car unless it's, uh, they have cause to do so, or or there's a warrant and it's uh, it's it's supposed to protect people from unlawful search and seizures, and and usually it does a pretty good job of doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I always remind people that, you know, all these amendments include and the Constitution proper, they're historical documents. You know, they grew out of a time, and they grew out of a time when you know, we were concerned that you know, we had just gone through a period of British rule and redcoats could just stop you if you were in Boston, for example, and and turn out your pockets and so on and so forth, and you.
Speaker 2: Can't do that.
Speaker 1: I would think this is a good question for attorneys, which is, you know, as in my current professional work with a lot of young people who are about to go into college. Let's just say you're you're you're at college, you're walking down the street, you're on the right of the ballgame and a cop stops you and say I want to stop you and talk to you for a bit. What would you advise a person to do in that circumstance. I, yeah, just a random stop, I would I would certainly tell somebody to not saying anything and to tell them that you know, they're invoking their constitutional rights and they would like to like to like to continue on with their day.
Speaker 3: But of course, uh, you know, if they're there would have to be probable cause or reasonable suspicion. In some cases it just depends. And as as a rule, they can't do that because you know that you've done nothing wrong just walking walking down the street. So my recommendation to two people most of the time as well to you know, not not to talk to police. They're not they're not there to help you. They're not there to assist you. Typically they're they're there to see if you might want might incriminate yourself. So never good to to to talk to uh police typically when you're UH. When they're when you've been arrested and they're trying to interrogate you, ask for a lawyer. Always ask for a lawyer. I want a lawyer. And then you know, go from there, don't do anything on your own. Uh is usually the recommendation that I would give people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you know sometimes when I when I talk to two folks, I tell them link if you if you're going to ask anything or say anything, and response to them, I say, put your hands up in the air like in front of you. I got nothing and ask a simple question, officer. Am I being detained? You know, because that then shifts the legal and you guys don't know anything about that, but that that then starts to shift the legal burden of what they have to show. And technically, if you are detained, you should be given your rights at that point. If you're not free to just turn around and walk away, it's it's a different kind of stop at that point. And so, but that I completely agree with you.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: I worked with some great officers. There's there's no doubt about it. But then you know, I work with some I work with someones who I guess skip science class because what they learned about the scientific method was you picked the conclusion and then you cherry pick the evidence that leads you to that conclusion, which is not what you are supposed to do. But I'm interested in your take on the Worth Amendment as it kind of stands right now. You know, with with our current Supreme Court and the way jurisprudence is going, do you does it seem like the Fourth Amendments getting whittled away at all? Or are we coming into a period where we might actually see a little bit of a strengthening.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a great question, I would say. I mean, uh, I can go. I could go either way on those two possibilities. Certainly, I think that you know, I I was hoping that Supreme Court was going to be a little more logical and reasonable than they then the current status. And certainly I don't think it's also that great to have nine lawyers in in DC, you know, running the country and steering, steering, steering things constantly, because you know, really, uh, we're they were spoke to be the weakest branch of the of the three branches, and and now they're like the strongest branch. Basically, basically, you can't do anything unless unless the Supreme Court SAT says you can do it. And so I certainly hope that that the that the Fourth Endment will will be strengthened over the years and that and and uh, you know, more secure for your average citizen. I don't really know, you know, my personal take on it as far as uh, you know, the current status of things. I think that uh, I don't deal with it that much with uh, with the criminal cases that I defend, which is good. I mean, I mean I don't see so many too many violations of that issue, but certainly others can. Others may may differ depending on what what their practice is. Like you know, Sorry, I kind of went off on a tangent.
Speaker 2: No, that's all right.
Speaker 1: I think where where I start to get a little bit concerned is with artificial intelligence and how that's going to be utilized by different law enforcement agencies. To me, that's where I see a potential slippery slope because now you have I mean, you didn't really have the ability to analyze massive data sets, whether that's video or audio or you know, yet you could wire tab everybody. Sure, but like, what are you going to do? How are you going to go through all of that?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: Well, now you, I mean you could if you wanted to. I don't know, are you Are you all worried about that? Because I have to be honest, I'm a little bit concerned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I understand your your concerns. Logical I'm a logical person, and certainly AI, you know, it has all kinds of possibilities that scare people and make people happy. At the same time, you got someone like, oh, well, you know, it's going to make our lives so much easier. It's gonna you know, but yeah, that's a great point. We definitely don't want them, you know, uh, you know, uh, wire taping people just you know, willy nilly. You know, I don't want people knowing what I talk about in my home. I don't want people, you know, not knowing what people talk about in their own homes that they have they have a right to that privacy. So uh, I'm hopeful. I mean, you know, some of these you know, uh, these data centers scare me too, you know, like how many data centers do we need? I don't know. I mean, uh so I'm I'm leria AI and at the same time hopeful that it that it will but help us. But but I I certainly can see the uh, the possibilities and the problems with it creating all kinds of issues and giving the government more more power than they should have certainly to hurt somebody's Fourth Amendment rights. That's what I was going to say. I'm sorry, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, and I think, like you, you know, the counter argument is going to be, well, it'll be okay because the person will have their day in court. But the problem is is, you know, once an arrest or something hits the news, like, there's there's no taking that back, you know, there's that you can't you can't put that genie back in the bottle. And for you know, how however much I might crow about innocent until proven guilty, you know, that's not That's not how.
Speaker 2: Everybody sees it.
Speaker 1: But you kind of brought up one last thing that I wanted to ask your opinion on because it was I think it's a very illustrative point in that the Supreme Court and the judicial branch was was definitely supposed to have them the weakest branch under the Constitution. In fact, if you want, you know, you can go pull up the article of the Constitution, Article three, that discusses the Supreme Court. It is one sentence, there shall be a Supreme Court like that. That is the sentence. It doesn't say that there should be nine people. It doesn't say that. How it is very very vague as to what the Supreme Court should be. Compare that to Article one on the legislative branch or Article two on the executive branch, and you'll see very quickly what the founding fathers and the Framers spent their time on.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't that.
Speaker 1: And I agree, I think it's really problematic that the Court is now effectively legislating from the branch. That's effectively what they are doing. I mean, we're not even going to give administrative agencies as much discretion as we used to under a recent ruling. I think that's very problematic because I think it creates distance between the people and the law that shouldn't exist. The distance between the people's House, the House of Representatives, and the voters is a lot closer. What do you think about that? I mean, that is my biggest concern with all of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I would say that there's a lot there with regard to the Supreme Court. Yes, they were supposed to be the weakest branch. If you look at some uh look history, sometimes a president, an early president would ignore what the Supreme Court said if they thought it was ridiculous and then it didn't make any sense. I'm not too crazy about federal judges being appointed for life. I mean, I think that's ridiculous. I think that that creates a problem. I think that that, you know, that leads to that branch being so powerful. And uh, I'm not crazy about them legislating from from the bench, like you mentioned. I mean that that's what they're doing. They're you know, Uh, I think they got it wrong on a few things recently with the with the whole with with immigration, and uh, I don't think I don't think illegal immigrants should be rewarded with citizenships the United States if they come here legally. I think that that that's logical, it's common sense. We're not going to give them a reward for doing something unlawful, and I think that the president should have authority to make sure that that doesn't happen. I have no problem with people getting citizenship if they come and come legally. So I would say that that they've gotten some things wrong recently, very very disappointed. I'm not crazy about them having the last word, So I'm not I'm not a huge fan of the Supreme Court in comparison to the other two branches in our constitution.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I mean, I suppose the counter argument would be, well, you know, they the Supreme Court has no choice. They must up in because our Congress is so woefully inefficient and inept at this point.
Speaker 2: This is one of the.
Speaker 1: Least effective congresses, I believe since certainly since World War Two, and I think almost going back to the Civil War, which is any time you have to go back to the Civil War, that's not a good thing, folks. But you're right, you know, and even early on in our history, I mean Andrew Jackson in a relatively famous case involving a Native American tribe, when the chief Justice at the time was the most famous one, John Marshall, found against what the president wanted famously said, John Marshall has made his decision, let him enforce it, which of course he could not do because the Supreme Court lacks an army, which is kind of what you would need to do those things. So I hope we are not going towards any sort of showdown like that, because I think, given the current political climate, that could be a real breaking point. And I hope that we can continue to sidestep that as much as humanly possible, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Time will tell. Well, listen, we've had a great conversation.
Speaker 1: I got to flex some muscles I haven't flexed a long time, so that was really fun. And you know, you're in Arizona right now. So if anybody's in need of a lawyer at Arizona, as I mentioned, you know, you're the guy, right, You're the person that they should look up.
Speaker 2: I hope that you're not.
Speaker 1: By the way, if you're listening to this, I hope you're not not that you don't live in Arizona.
Speaker 2: I hope you don't need a lawyer. But thanks so much. This has been really fun.
Speaker 3: Thanks Adam for having me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Now, not to put too fine a point on it, because obviously we've had a long interview to explain a couple of my perspectives, but you know, before we go, I think it's just important to recognize that the American system is really.
Speaker 2: Founded on one of the.
Speaker 1: Core concepts of a liberal and I mean small l when I say that, I'm talking about traditional Western liberalism and liberal democracy. One of the cornerstones of a liberal democracy is the rule of law and the idea that the law is applied evenly to everyone. You know, I'm often find myself saying, listen, what's good for the goose is good for the gander when I'm talking to different people about contemporary politics. And what I mean by that is that it's fine if you're okay with what the current administration is doing, and I support some of the administration's policy decisions as well, But if you're okay with whatever the operations may be, then you have to be okay if a future I don't know, democratic president does the same things. If you're not okay with it, then in general, that's probably the wrong direction to go, because the rule of law specifies that if this guy does it, then the next guy is going to be able to do it, and so on and so forth. The guardrails that were put in place by our founding fathers and the framers of the Constitution were put in place because of their historical experiences with Great Britain, and I think that it's not too early to be reconsidering what they did. I mean this, they did it for a very good reason. A lot of our constitutional protection exist for reasons that maybe we don't fully understand. Today because we didn't live through a government that didn't respect the rights of its citizens. But I think that we were guided in our foundation by extremely wise individuals, and I think it's wrong of us now to start to walk away from some of those things. Yes, religious persecutions of the type that Europe experienced in the seventeenth century and into the eighteenth century, those are, by and large, in the Western world relics of the past, But that doesn't mean that they can't come back, or that we should ignore the protections that the founding fathers put in to make sure that we have those rights. It's really important for us to protect and value the Constitution. And remember, when you swear an oath to this country, you don't swear an oath to a person. This is not Ancient Rome, this is not the Empire. We're not swearing to Caesar. You are swearing to a concept, to an idea of a government. And that idea is epitomized in the value of our constitution. And yes, as I said repeatedly throughout the interview, I'm a little bit of a stickler for the Constitution. What can I say, I really like it, I really think it is important and I think that we need to hold to it in the future, and I hope that we all remember that in the times to come, that the Constitution matters. If in the next four years we have a different president and they don't respect the Constitution, then we need to hold them to it, because that's the rule book, folks. That's what we all agreed to when we started to play this game. And you don't get to change the rules midstream because.
Speaker 2: You don't like the outcome.
Speaker 1: Our founding fathers thought it was important that we had a set of guiding principles, and the law is a principal part of that. And for better or for worse, again, what.
Speaker 2: Can I say.
Speaker 1: It may be old, it may be a little worn in times, but gosh, I still really love that Constitution, all right. So this was again a little bit of aside today, But when the opportunity came across my desk, I thought we would take a chance. And you know, it's summertime. I've got a little bit of extra time in my hands, so why not. And I think in the end it was worth it, and I hope you enjoyed it. If not, sorry, we'll be back on to the regular feed in a moment and you can get back to the history that we all.
Speaker 3: Know and love.
Speaker 1: So until next time from Western SIEV signing off.