Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 3: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 1: Two nothing. It's Alva not so Fast.
Speaker 2: Cohole Breath with John Taylor.
Speaker 1: I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose.
Speaker 4: And Rick Dolly Wall I had a cherry tree up but little Ricky I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and munch on news.
Speaker 2: Cherry years Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 1: Ten o'clock Downtown Vancouver with the Paulkars the studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. God Taylor, along with Rick Dolly Wall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man at the controls or director. The voice of God is Derek Wong. This is it, This is it. This is our last show before the end of our Donnie and Dolly season. Yes, we're taking a couple of months off for the summer and then we'll be back in September. September seventh. If I'm not mistaken seventh, the eighth, eighth. That's me though, I'll be here on the seventh. You guys can slack off and we'll reseme with the eighth. But the eighth is a Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the kids go back to school on the fifth.
Speaker 5: It's the day after Labor Day. Labor Day, Monday is the seventh.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to complain, like, are you new to the holidays in September?
Speaker 5: Come on?
Speaker 1: Labor Day used to be the fourth.
Speaker 4: What's going with?
Speaker 1: Labor Day always moves around, It's always a Monday, yeah, right, Like.
Speaker 5: This past year was like it was like the first of September.
Speaker 1: So it's good for us. So this will be our getting back on track.
Speaker 5: You show up on the seventh, well, I'll just talk to yourself in here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I won't be the only guy talking to himself a little too inside there. So band names will go through our list of band names. Are you're a good guy? List?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: We have a blooper real prepared as well. Meanwhile, let's talk some sports here as opposed to talking about ourselves. Alex Livechkin is back with the Washington Capitals, a one year, four point two five million dollars cap hit Alexevechkin is forty years old. He'll be his birthdays in September, so he'll be forty one before the season starts. Seventy one goals short of one thousand for his career if you combine regular season and playoffs.
Speaker 4: Trick, phenomenal athlete, phenomenal hockey player. He's still going, He's still scoring. He doesn't miss many games during the regular season. This guy is just you just run out of words to describe him. He is a phenomenal player.
Speaker 1: Eighty two games last year. You talk about not missing any any games, thirty two goals, thirty two assists, sixty four points, and you say to yourself, well, that's not very Ovechkin like. He led the capitals and goals end points last year. And does he hustle like he used to? Does he hit people like he used to? Is he as ferocious as he used to be? No, but the production is there, especially on the power play. And this just in he sells. He sells tickets. So NHL is better for this. So Vechkin back for at least another season back with the Washington Capitals. As for the Vancouver Canucks, yesterday, free agency period opens for the entire National Hockey League Canucks with a productive day, making five signings and one trade. Speaking of the five signings, let's get back to that. You can now make it six. Luke Schen for a year, Paul Carter for a year. We want to talk more more about Paul Carter. Carter now, okay, welcome Carter, Welcome back Ka and Jamie Alexiak for a couple of yours. I don't think anybody has any problem with these signings at all. And as we move on with some more free agent signings, here we got that Derek any chance there you go? A member of the all named team, Trey the Canucks All name Team all time, Trey Fix, Welanski, a Kill Thomas and this just in I mentioned six signings. Matthew Steinberg signing with the Canucks release. The announcement was made this morning. He's from Halifax Nova Scotia, a center twenty five years old from the Colorado Avalanche organization. This is a one year two way deal, much like Fixed, Wolanski and Thomas's deals one year two way deal out of Cornell University. He's only played eight NHL games, So these are as you can see by our board here depth signings.
Speaker 4: The Atbosford guys, Sabsford guys. So when there's injuries in Vancouver, some of these guys are going to get called up. The Aki Thomas guy is a guy that all these guys, Ryan Johnson and the assistant GM, mister Seeley, they know all these guys and they've been keeping Sealy. The assistant GM had a Keel Thomas in the American League.
Speaker 1: So that one makes sense. Yeah, familiar with him. So after our show yesterday we mentioned the five signings, the Jamie Alexiak signing coming over from Seattle or coming up north from Seattle two years, five million dollars aav that happened after our show yesterday, and it was in response to a trade that not a lot of people saw coming Marcus Peterson to the Rangers for a conditional first round draft pick in twenty thirty Rick four years from now.
Speaker 4: Johnny, keep getting those first round picks, keep getting picks. You're in a rebuild for the first four years. The Canucks have to pick in the top five, top ten. That's how you get out of this mess. This was a great move. It freed up the money for Alexei Alexiak he had to waive his no move, So I do want to say this. Don Ryan Johnson had been communicating with Marcus's agent the past few weeks. Basically, the agent was told, we like Marcus a lot, but if we get a deal the knocks or socks off, we're gonna come to you. That's what happened yesterday. Canucks got a little bit lucky. And I'll tell you why, DoD There were teams that Patterson would have said no to the fact they Canucks got Patterson to say yes to the Rangers, who were not much better than the Canucks last year. He didn't go from team thirty two to team ten. He went from team thirty two to a team that.
Speaker 1: Had a horrible make klaoffs.
Speaker 4: It did make the playoffs, So the Canucks got a little bit lucky the Petterson Yes, he said, he waved in the afternoon to the Rangers. Not a great situation, but he said, yes.
Speaker 1: But it is New York. It's Madison Square, and a lot of a lot of people want to play there, love playing there, no matter the situation. Always remember Gretzky when he retired. One of his pieces of advice to young lucky players, was that if you ever get a chance to play in New York, specifically, the Rangers jump on its. Petterson now a member of the Rangers. We hardly knew him. He was harder to a year and a half coming over from Pittsburgh. And they give up a first rounder there, so they get a first rounder back. And it's an unconventional move getting a first rounder so far ahead in the future. But Rick, what if and this is look this just in things tend to go wrong for the Vancouver Canucks going back to nineteen seventy. What if they are a playoff team at that point, what if they're in contention and for a cup? And I know that's praying for a lot if you're a Vancouver Canuck fan. But then you've got a first round. Maybe you have two first rounders and twenty third or we have a chance to trade that first rounder if you are a playoff bound team. So here's Ryan Johnson yesterday he made himself available to the media. We got this clip, Derek. This is Ryan Johnson on his thinking with the Marcus Petterson trade.
Speaker 7: Well, looking at the options, looking at where what that team had available as far as restaurant picks, and then also the timing to make the move. Still I see value in a future pick. That is a time where I hope we are heading in the right direction and look back on having that pick is still going to have value. It's hard to see it now, but something that again I'm not afraid to do to punt things down the road to give us opportunities at that point to and it doesn't mean you wait till twenty thirty that's something you may be able to use earlier as as value to bring something back.
Speaker 1: There you go saying, well, we just said that. Okay, First of all, maybe you use that pick and it's conditional, it's top ten protected, so it might not be till till twenty thirty one. Twenty thirty one, right, so there's a possibility of that. Or you use it as as a trade chip. It's a smart movie, you know, look, you know smart. Yeah, if that's what you If you can get a first round draft pick for Marcus Pettis, might again you gave up a first round draft pick, but that's another regime. It was Ruththerford and Alvin this This, this to me makes a whole lot of sense. It's smart, it's it's it's reasonable, it's understandable. Uh, and it makes sense given where they at where they are at right now. Same with all these deals that they've made, right, they're all short term smart.
Speaker 4: Donney a couple of things. Ultimately, this new regime will be judged on wins and losses. But up till now, they got a plan. They articulate it well. Like when you listen to Ryan Johnson, you don't listening to a bumbling fool. He's got a plan. What do you d d up last two years? What's the plan been in Vancouver? Resigned Quinn Hughes last year July first, Demko, Garland Besser all resigned for one reason. Resigned Quinn Hughes. How did that turn out? The whole plan in the last two years was to resign Quinn Hughes. These guys plan is not evolved around one player. The big key yesterday you nailed it. No long term deals. Deals were all short gives you flexibility. Long term deals come with no moves. What headache do the Canucks have right now? Don no moves. They got seven of them thanks to the finish thirty seconds, So they got seven No moves thanks to the old regime, Donnie, short term deals give you flex and even this Carter guy, let's say everyone's talking all we're going to trade him.
Speaker 1: If he turns out.
Speaker 4: To be a good culture piece, you could keep him.
Speaker 1: I want to talk some more about Paul Carter. I think Brian will do that in the open segment of the in the eleven o'clock hour. What's that signal mean? What does this mean? Moving? Are you driving a motorcycle?
Speaker 5: It's watch your time because we have Moje and Drants coming.
Speaker 1: Up back to back. Well, Drant's two questions ten minutes. So yeah, you're France is one question? And God bless him by the way. So again, Canucks acquire Matthew Steinberg or they signed Matthew Steinberg, the former Colorado AV and then the Marcus Patterson trade. Okay, and I thought Marcus Patterson was better when he first came to the Canucks versus last season. Yes, when were there are some difficulties there? Okay, a lot going on today. As I said, we want to focus on Paul Cotter. He's a character. So we're gonna We've got an open segment in the eleven o'clock hour. He's a character in what he does around it and in the dressing room. And he's got some sweet hands, is how a lot of people have described his ability with the puck, even though his career highs just sixteen goals. We'll put that on display in the eleven o'clock hour. Also, we've got to talk about before I forget, don't forget. BC Lions in Kloonna again on Saturday, oh and three to start the season after the loss in Colona last weekend. They take on the three and oh ebonton Elks on Saturday up there, BC placed tonight Algeria versus Switzerland, Canada versus Morocco course Saturday in Houston. We'll talk about what's going on with the Vancouver Canadians a little bit later as well. Here's what else is coming up, DTMZ. Is it just me coming up in the eleven o'clock Our farhand is going to join us just after eleven o'clock. He's on that, well, he's on the Lions beat, but he's also on the World cut up beat for TISN again. Algeria versus Switzerland tonight eight o'clock at BC Place, Big ride the Twitter guy. Later this hour. Thomas Drants coming up at a round well at the bottom of the hour ten thirty or so, and up next, speaking of being on the Lions beat, he can talk about everything going on in Vancouver or anything. Absolutely Bob the mojes Burrjanovich again and you know what, I want to say this before we go to break in case we forget to say it before the end of the show. I just want to say thanks to everybody, all of our viewers, our listeners, certainly our alliance, our bosses. I should have put them first as a matter of fact, but we can't thank you, thank you enough. What is this season five, season six? Anyway, it's it's been so enjoyable. We've managed to You've helped us resurrect our careers. We can't can't thank you enough for our last show of the season and it continues with moch Next, Donnie Dolly the Team on Check.
Speaker 8: Donnie and Dolly the Team is supported by Ableauctions dot ca A Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 1: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 4: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help for a.
Speaker 1: Free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot ca A. That's Sales n A b l E Auctions dot ca A. It is Thursday, and all of our guests today is always in a Thursday brought to you by the Vancouver Canadian celebrating anniversary seventy five. Let's talk about the Canadians here right now. Max Susier is going to be for them tomorrow rehab start. The Jays are down in Seattle, so it all fits a rehab start. Jays in Seattle this weekend and h yeah, a special is going to be cool, beautiful, beautiful that Billy Stadium. I can't get enough of that. Shots are currently on a home stand against Eugene. That will be the team that will be playing tomorrow with Max on the mound. First pitch for tonight's Women in Sports Day game is seven to five. For tickets and info, visit ami LB dot com. Slash Vancouver. Don't have in front of me Ryan is Eugene. They're playing tomorrow. Okay, mister baseball is going to join us. Now. Look at this is baseball bobara Janovic joining us from Black Crass Voice to the BC Lions. How are you, sir?
Speaker 9: What's up forellas?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: See the motto today is Taylor is already in his car. He's in his car about twenty minutes ago. He's just mailing this show in mailing. Are you even working tomorrow?
Speaker 1: You taking tomorrow's tomorrow because we worked the holiday.
Speaker 6: Now the scoreclock indicates how many times Taylor's been right and how many times Ryan has been right calendar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so true, Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 9: Left in the third there, So there you go, prety.
Speaker 1: Well, how is the Big Bang your golf tournament up there in the.
Speaker 6: Old Yeah, outstanding, big thanks to everybody who was involved, all of our sponsors, there's too many to name right now, all the participants, all the celebs of EPs. It was a great event and yeah we had we had a lot of fun and raised quite a bit of money for charity. So big, thank you everybody that was involved.
Speaker 1: Okay, so when it comes to events in the Okanagan, I'm trying to avoid it, but you know I shouldn't say that they're owing three of the Lions they lose to Calgary. But what was the whole Apple Bowl experience like as we look ahead to the Edmonton game in Colonna this weekend.
Speaker 6: Well, I'll tell you one thing. The town was a buzz. Everywhere you went. People were talking about the Lions here going to the game. It should be so much fun. The significant other was in a pilates class and she was saying, even in there and you know, people were talking about the Lions game that day. It was actually it was it was crazy. It was off the hook. I mean, just the buzz in the city. I couldn't believe how many people knew about the game, were going to the game. The game itself, I'm sure speaking of drone shots, he showed that shot in that bailey, I'm sure you saw some of the shot.
Speaker 1: Beautiful.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was magnificent. I mean, of course, there were logistical issues. There always will be anytime you run an event for the first time. Hopefully they'll clean some of those things up for the game this weekend versus Edmonton, and bottom line is though they lost the game, and that's the most important thing, and unfortunately the Lions now sit at own three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh and three. So what stands out, as I probably asked you this last week when they were owing two, what stands out is the Lion's major major issues. A lot of penalties last weekend.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I thought the defense flashed some signs of life, a little bit better pass rush. I mean, the offense continues to do what they do, but I think it's just complementary football right now, and that's the one thing the Lions aren't doing. And you know, people look at the firing of special teams coordinator Corey McDermott and say, you know, they should have fired and make Benavidi's But I mean, if you look at a lot of the issues that the Lions have had, I mean, field position's been atrocious. When the other team's starting with the ball at the forty five or the fifty, your defense is kind of playing with a gun to their head because they know if they give up two or three first downs, it's basically points on the board, right And conversely, when your offense is starting at your twenty five or your thirty, which they have most of the year this year, the field position has been it's been you know, you've got to put together some sustained drives to put points on the board. So, and that's not to say it's all on special teams, you know, same thing. I mean, if the offense or peronly if the defensive unit goes out there with the opposition having the ball on the ten yard line, they got to stop them then in there and get the ball back and get decent field position. Instead, they give up three four first downs even if they force a punt. Now the lines are starting deep in their territory. So to me, it's about complimentary football.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, holy smoke, where's your mic cough button?
Speaker 1: Good lord?
Speaker 9: Low tech here?
Speaker 4: What don't eat before you come on the air anything?
Speaker 9: I'm drinking coffee.
Speaker 4: Well that's the first time I heard you say that. Anyways, listen, mode, let's go to the Canucks free agency. What are your thoughts on what they did yesterday?
Speaker 6: You know, it's interesting, Rick, I know you and I both know in talking to certain people within the organization that these are the type of pickups they needed to make.
Speaker 1: Last year BINGO, to improve the room.
Speaker 6: So to speak, to improve the leadership group. I just kind of think to myself, Yeah, okay, maybe it's a year late, but still it's a step in the right direction. You know, I loved what they did bringing in character guys like Gallagher, alexiak Shan. You know, they weren't handed big tickets. So for me, it's I like what they've done. I think they've brought in the right type of players, the right character players to guide and mentor some of the younger players on this team. So I think the moves that Ryan Johnson has made, I'm all on board with it. And you know, it's interesting because I was listening to your hit this morning with Brouff and Rough and you know, the plan last year was, well, we got to win for Quinn right, and contracts the terrible It's just it's just now you look back at it. And even when Rutherford was here, I looked at a lot of the moves that he made, and it was this. He was like always like, you know, plugging this ball. He was robbing Peter to pay Paul all the time. Right, Okay, let's let's get at a Fesse move. Now we lose forward depth. Well let's get a forward, but now we're going to lose a draft pick, right. I mean, it was just it's just, it was just it was the best way to describe it was ad libbing all the time, just trying to get a quick fix rather than looking at a long.
Speaker 9: Term solution which should work for the hockey club.
Speaker 6: And I think when you look at Ryan Johnson and the Sedines, that's what they have. They have a long term plan and they're going to stick to that plan. That being said, who knows, Maybe they're going and signed Jamie ben today. It was six years, fifty four million, but I highly doubt it.
Speaker 4: No, there's no way. Hey, Rick Talket told you that when they lost the door off in Cole Boy, he really missed that.
Speaker 1: I missed those.
Speaker 4: Guys leadership they did. You know Shan and Gallagher, you know them both really good pickups in terms of improving that dressing room, the culture, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: I think these two were grand slam hits in terms of changing the culture.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean you need players that are going to express themselves and be leaders in that room and if somebody gets out of line, they will put them in their place. And I think that's what happened when you lost Coolan's a door off. He kind of had a checks and balances in place, particularly for a guy like JT. Miller, Right, So then those two players leave them. Well guess what now, no one is kind of keeping JT. Miller in check, so to speak, and as a result, you know, chaos ensued. So when you have players such as Gallagher and Shin and Alexiak veterans that will make themselves heard and basically you know, be those checks and balances and keep people in line, I think it doesn't allow things to go astray. It doesn't allow people to develop. Bad work happens. It doesn't allow players to get lazy. It allows you know, there's going to be a standard that will have to be met with those players in the room.
Speaker 1: Much baseball Jay's in Seattle, so this fits. Max Serger is making a rehab start with the Jays Farm Club in Vancouver tomorrow against eugen Can you I remember Rob Deer when the C's were affiliated with Milwaukee, Kelly Gruber back in the day. Can you remember any major leaguers who played here in the you know, made me make it, made a rehab start in the midst of their career or maybe at the end of their career, like like Rob Deer. Of course, you had a lot of guys like trey Ya Savage for instance, and David Schneider on their way up. But what about what about established major players who had established themselves as major leaguers playing at nat Bailly You know, for the.
Speaker 6: First time Donnie this year and it's funny, it's the last show I'm doing with you guys.
Speaker 9: Great question, that's.
Speaker 10: Like, stop it. Oh, I think you know the To my mind, I can't remember. I do remember one player that didn't do a rehab aside. Remember when they were the White Sox affiliate, and I believe it was Bo Jackson or Frank Thomas, one of those big guns was kind of I want to say it was Bo Jackson was coming off an injury and there was so much talk that he would be assigned to Vancouver and he wasn't. He was assigned to Double A Birmingham to get his rehab done because they determined Vancouver was too cold, I guess, or you know, weren't really fans of the weather. But no, I can't remember a player in the future Hall of Famer such as Max Scherzer, you know, that type of player doing a rehab assignment in Vancouver.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna it's gonna be special. Just I don't know how long he lasts, just just to see him at you, like I say, you know, you and I go back a long time, so does Rick. I this this again. Rob Dear is the only one I can think of. And it was at the end of his career.
Speaker 9: Here Deer played pretty much half a season or three quarters.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, when the Angels were the affiliate.
Speaker 1: I believe it was the Brewers. Is the Brewers, I believe, No Angels, Okay, okay, okay, I'm gonna look it up.
Speaker 6: Like way back in the late seventies early eighties, the Angels were more like in the nineties. So yeah, when he was with the Angels organization. But you're right, he did playing the bigs with the Brewers. So no, I can't think of anybody.
Speaker 1: You know, when you said this is your last hit. You you know what what you just said there, this is your last hit? You don't correct the big guy.
Speaker 6: Come on, hey, by the way, that scoreboard should read don zero modes three.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, just like the old days.
Speaker 6: I'll say, yeah, just like the old days. Hey, but yeah, it's gonna be a tremendous environment in Vancouver. You know, I'll tell you one story, Seas used to have a pitching coach by the name of Sunny Cyber or probably Pete Riker. Pete Riker pitched for the Dodgers, and this.
Speaker 1: Was Hey, we're almost at a time you're making quick hurry.
Speaker 6: Up, all says Pete Riker talked about the atmosphere Nat Bailey Stadium equaling the Major League stadium because the fans are right on top of you. Said it was an amazing atmosphere. So that's one thing that Nat Bailey has going for it. And this is a guy who played in the World Series. He said, this is one of the best baseball environments he played in because the fans are right on top of you.
Speaker 1: I think you might have been right about Rob. Dear damn, it might might. The research continues. Moch. We can't this is our first season with you. We can't thank you enough. You've been great all year and we sure appreciate it.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 6: It's it was a blast work with you guys and Ryan as well, and look forward to doing it again next year.
Speaker 1: All right, Moch, thanks so much.
Speaker 9: Thanks fellows, have a great summer. We'll talk, We'll keep in touch.
Speaker 1: You bet Bobadonovic's voice of the BacT Alliance and again they're in Colonna for a second straight week. Let's hope it goes better for the I mean the crowd and the setup, looking, atmosphere great, seemed outstanding. Let's hope game wise it goes better for the Lions. If you're Alliance fan one three Alliance taking on the three and o ebonton Elks Saturday in Colonna, a break and then up next from the athletic to talk about the Caducks and all their moves. Thomas Strantz, He's next, Tonny Dolly, the team I check. Looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway, Head to beautiful park and experience the Bayside ocean Front Resort, where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio, Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction. Splash in the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cocktail at the ocean Front restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event Bayside is your perfect year round escape book. Your Getaway now at two five ozho two four eight eight tuple three. Your Island Adventure starts here Thursday, and all today's guests are brought to you by Max Scherzer. In the Vancouver Canadians celebrating anniversary seventy five, rub Deer celebrating as well. The Caes are currently on a homestand against Eugene. First pitch for tonight's Women in Sports Day game is seven five pm. Ex sures you're making that rehab start tomorrow. Jay's down in Seattle on the weekend. For tickets and info, visit mi LB dot com slash Vancouver. The research continues and Rob dear, I can't let MOJ be right? You gotcha? Well, we don't know that for sure. I think he's right now that I think about it. Meanwhile, Canucks making multiple moves yesterday another one today, joining us to talk. What are you smiling at? What are you laughing at? What are you ripping us for joining us? From the athletic Thomas Drantz, how are you, sir?
Speaker 11: Thanks for having me, Thanks for having me all year. Always a blast to join you, Always a blast. To have a chance to talk Cannucks with your audience. I'm truly one of the highlights of my week. So it's been been a lot of fun. Thanks for having me all season, and I hope you both enjoy a lovely summer you towo, Ryan, and I hope you and your families enjoy some extra I'm together over the next few months.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that's just so a bit. But you know how much we appreciate you to cry. Where are you?
Speaker 9: Are you?
Speaker 1: What casino are you in? Right now? There's a board behind you.
Speaker 11: And I didn't quite I didn't quite make it to the rink. I met a pizza shop in Langley. They're nice enough to let me use the Wi Fi. It's pre lunch rush, so I should be fine. But yeah, I mean a little bit of gorilla television for my last hit of the air. And if anyone wants to check their keynot numbers, just.
Speaker 1: Just look over Wow. Okay, let's focus on tomorrow. Are you probably yesterday with the Canucks my first as the free agency period opens up. Let's start first of all with with Luke Shan for a third time in Vancouver. Did that make sense?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 11: I mean anything that's one year long for a high character guy. Great, right Like, that's easy when a tap in for this organization. Luke Shen carries himself the right way. I mean, this is a guy, gentlemen, this is a one way contract in his NHL career. You know, you don't stick around and get eight one way contracts as a non star contributor if you're not a tremendous human being, right Like, if you're not the sort of guy that teams around the league know that they need in the room. And that's what Luke Shen is. We all know what he's about. We all know what he represents. We all know what this franchise and this province means to him. So you know it's a one year deal, there's an NMC attached to it, But you know, Shen's going to be a guy who you can put out there with a young defenseman.
Speaker 12: You know, he's not going to get picked on.
Speaker 11: That young defenseman's not going to get picked on when they're sharing the ice with Luke Shen. Shen's going to be able to support them when things are going badly, as they probably will for the Canucks over the courts the next season. He's going to have a positive attitude on bad days. He's been through it all. He's seen it all. This is the guy who's, you know, been a veteran who struggled and got sent down to the American League.
Speaker 12: He's seen that. He's been a top top.
Speaker 11: Five pick in a high pressure Canadian market who wasn't meeting expectations. He's been through that, right, He's been a veteran scrapping to get another one way deal.
Speaker 3: He's been through that.
Speaker 12: Like, there's nothing.
Speaker 11: That anyone on this roster, any young guys, has seen or could be going through that Luke Shen hasn't already been going through. I mean, isn't that exactly what you're talking about when you're talking about insulating young players. You know, I don't know that he's a top four guy anymore. I don't know that he's a high end penalty killer anymore. But I know he can hit, and I know he can be a high character person, you know, the old the old like an extra assistant coach out there, right, It's like, I think he can help you in terms of all of those little things you need. And just as importantly and gentlemen, I think this goes across the board, like Luke Shen big, right handed, physical, that's usually a guy that has demanded the trade deadline, but he's probably not going to help the Canucks win games. Paul Cotter fast, scores off the rush, throws big hits, but look, he doesn't really contribute to the build up. His teams don't generally rate much more when he's on the ice. In fact, they generate a lot less when he's on the ice than they do when he's not. You know, Jamie Alexiak, especially going from Marcus Patterson to Jamie Alexik, Like that's a material downgrade. Right, So this team effectively, with what they brought in and what they subtracted, also got materially worse last yesterday, right, Like they did nothing to prevent them from being at the bottom of the NHL standings this season.
Speaker 12: And guess what, that's a great thing.
Speaker 11: That's exactly what they need to be doing with Land and DuPont and nisserprib Blov and you know, Milan Sunstrom and Alexis Joseph sort of populating what's likely to be a very very starry Top five of the twenty twenty seven NHL drafts. So you got to like that part of it too, Luke Shen good guy, good player, probably.
Speaker 12: Not good enough to alter this team's fate. That's the sweet.
Speaker 4: Spot, uh, the Marcus Petterson trade. He is not afraid to ask agents to wave no moves. He did find out that yesterday. He asked Marcus to wave in the afternoon. Marcus took some time and he but this is a good move, Thomas, in the sense that, hey, you got a no move in Vancouver doesn't mean you're one hundred percent safe.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Well, and I mean, how could you be?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 11: And for Marcus Patterson a chance to go to an organization that did some pretty interesting work remodeling their blue line and remodeling their forward group yesterday. They're going to be in it to win it every year, whether or not they achieve it or not. So you know, it's a good landing spot for him. Familiarity, I'll have a big role. And look, he's a good player, Like he's a really good player. I know it didn't look great in Vancouver, but given how the structure fell apart around him, you know, I think the truth is that he's much better than he looked on most nights last season for the Vancouver Canucks. So you know, it's good that the organization was able to get a veteran a wave. It's good that they were able to subtract one of that group of seven now group of six, you know, late twenties guys with some variety of no mover, no trade protection long term.
Speaker 12: I think that was necessary.
Speaker 11: You'd like to see them do more, to be totally honest with you, gentlemen, right like, there's still more to do. I think before we're looking at this as sort of a home run rebuilding off season. But it was a good start. It was consistent with sort of the patient direction that the Canucks have enunciated, have described. You know, to till yesterday, all we'd had was words and intention, And now I think we can begin to see the shape of what this you know, Johnson Sadine era rebuild might look like. And we know it's very patient because there's no more patient asset you could acquire than a twenty thirty first round pick that might not even convey until twenty thirty one. I mean, my goodness, that's as patient as it gets. So yeah, I mean I like that deal. I will say You know, I would have liked that deal a lot less if they hadn't pivoted and then brought in Jamie Alexia. Right, if that move had been a pure salary dumb for a draft pick that, let's be real, is so far a field, like, it's so far into the future that it's not going to aid the Canucks efforts to accumulate the futures that will power sort of or fuel this rebuild.
Speaker 12: Right, I mean, so the next two three years where you're.
Speaker 11: Going to be at the bottom of the standings hopefully and sort of mining the players that you hope are the core of the next great Connects team, Like by twenty thirty twenty thirty one, you'd certainly hope that the Canucks are beginning.
Speaker 12: To pull out of the skid.
Speaker 11: So this first round pick coming back for a player that I'd consider to be Vancouver's second most marketable asset, you know, that's not going to be a pick that fuels this rebuild unless it's traded.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 12: What the deal does, though, is it stores value in a better way.
Speaker 11: Every year the thirty year old defenseman plays, their trade value diminishes, and Marcus Petterson, while I think he's a very good player. You know, he's still a thirty year old defenseman. His trade value is going to decline year after year. You get a first round pick for him in twenty thirty. Every year that that draft gets closer, the value of that pick increases. Plus that draft pick can't underperform, it can't get hurt. Right, It's a safer way to store value for a team that's not competing. But for me, the key is to have sent him out net at a future right and then to have used free agency to replace him. You know, credibly, I think Alexiak is a material downgrade on Pederson, but nonetheless he's a he's a comparable player. To do that without any acquisition costs, Like, that's asset management one on one, that's adding value one a one. That's exactly what the Connects need to keep doing, right. It's not enough to do it once. They've got to keep doing that with Peterson, Debresque, with Philip Peronic Ultimately, like there's more work to do in a similar vein, but at least they've demonstrated and I think built some trust with the fan base that they sort of see the vision and are willing to be patient and are willing to make these sorts of maneuvers.
Speaker 4: Okay, but patients at Debrsk probably what best time was probably the NHL Draft to trade him Thomas, And now you're gonna have to do in July and August. Teams have used up their money on July first. You know, they could have fit Debrusk in at the draft or July first. Now a lot of teams are out, but he can still move to Brusque in July and August.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, there's so much cap space in the system.
Speaker 11: There are teams that are pressed up against it and have different considerations. And by the way, there might be opportunity there. You know, I was thinking about Utah contending with that offer sheet, like I would assume that they're gonna match Barrett Hayton. Yeah, match the offer sheet, if only to save face. But you know they have the space to match. But it is a little bit tight.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 12: I don't think it's going.
Speaker 11: To be easy to get paid to take on good players, but I do wonder about like a Brandon Tanev two times two point five fast, good guy, right, I mean, is that an example of a team that might pay you to take a pretty good player and a pretty good person for a rebuild, right like that, That's the sort of call I think the.
Speaker 12: Canucks need to be making today.
Speaker 11: Whether or not it's possible, it's certainly an angle that I think is worth exploring. So yeah, I mean, look, I think there's a lot of business.
Speaker 12: Still to do for the Canucks.
Speaker 11: You know, I heard at times over the past week that they were very motivated the point of desperation in trying to move Eleas Petterson. I wouldn't be stunned if that still happens. I'd be surprised, because you know, the teams that I think are the most credible suitors, like the La Kings, are some of those teams that are have most of their money spoken for.
Speaker 1: Right right.
Speaker 11: You know, I still think there's there should be avenues potentially available to the Canucks that that are worth exploring. You know, Tobraska, I think similarly, And then you know, I'd add Buoyam and Liam Ogrin and possible extensions. They became extension eligible, and man, we are seeing this all over the league. Like you saw the prices yesterday, you saw the inflation, you saw the seven million times five for MARCHMNT or the eight times three for Jacob Truba, like get your deals done now and look the perfect object lesson for me. The Carolina Hurricanes last season, Right, there were two guys that had two undersized forwards in Jackson Blake and Logan stankovin career highs and points of thirty eight and thirty seven.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 11: Neither had played more than one hundred and two NHL games in their career. So these weren't exactly proven guys.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 11: People will roll their eyes now and be like, well, that's a first line center on a Cup team.
Speaker 12: It's like, yeah, that's a year later.
Speaker 11: Guys like that, he was not that guy twelve months ago July one, eight year deal times six million. July twenty fourth for Jackson Blake, eight year deal, five and a half million, right. And the contrast with that is the Anahem Ducks. The Anaheim Ducks went into last season and allowed center Leo Carlson, twenty one and twenty two year old winger Cutter Goce to play out the season without extensions. Cutter Coache scores forty goals. Leo Carlson is a point per game stud thoroughbred two way Center, those guys are about to break the bank. In fact, the Ducks reportedly, according to La Friedman like mostly sat on the sidelines yesterday to make sure they had a mot of cap space to ward off any would be Offershooters interested in pursuing Leo Carlson like, they're in a tough spot. They're going to pay millions more than they would have if they were proactive about signing these guys. And this is what cap growth dynamics look like. You pay early, you pay long, or you pay an awful lot more later. The Canucks need to prioritize getting at least one of those guys done, and probably both in my opinion, across the next month.
Speaker 1: Reck Our thanks to the pizza joint for setting up or letting letting them use their wif letting you use their WiFi, Thomas say you said very to them. We can't thank you enough for everything you've done for us, not just this year but the year's previous. U great as always, my friend.
Speaker 11: Thank you gentlemen. Always happy to be on with you guys. Enjoy your summer and the same to your audience as well. Go Canada tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Up all right, Thomas, Drant said the athletic and when he said go Canada's more at the moment, he meant Saturday Saturday. We all think the one mistake he made all year and he saved it for the for the very end. Okay, by the way, he hit on something there and that's a I don't think we talked about this yesterday, but the offer sheet for Barrett Haydon, Oh Devils have had to have an offer sheet one year four point seven to seven five. I believe the compensation is a second rounder, so we'll see what happens. We got to hit the Wadling Dog poll question. Watling Dog is opening early and is your spot for Thomas? Are you listening Canada's match against Morocco on Saturday morning starts at tend Catch the match live and loud on all twenty two TVs with full sound. Maybe they have keenoh, come sit and stay at the Waddling Dog Today Wick Ryan got her up the Waterling Dog pup poll question.
Speaker 4: What has been Ryan Johnson's best move since Friday? The Marcus Petterson trade which got a first round pick. I know it's a few years away, but it's a first round pick. Then comes drafting Klea Mahultra and then Shen Gallagher and Alexiak down at the bottom, but getting the first round pick from Marcus Petterson.
Speaker 1: Tremendous word. I don't think anybody has any who followed the Canucks for a long time has any problem with any of these developments in the were the only ones. Okay, a little bit of business and then we'll get ready for Big Rye. July seventh, Able Auctions will sell a sheet metal fabrication shop including two acusher twelve foot shares, an auto fold, duck, farming line truck, OH welder is in a lot more in this large shop. July eighth, the next day, Able Auctions will sell the contents of the Coast Wholesale Distribution Center, including ten Toyota forklifts and all warehouse racking and equipment. For info on these two auctions go to Abeleauctions dot C, a b l E Auctions dot C A Farhand Top of the Hour Up next Big Rye.
Speaker 13: Donnie and Dolly the team on check looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays.
Speaker 4: The award winning waddling Dog, has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years, ten minutes from the airport and the ferry. Their room, Glenn vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog Pop twenty taps, wall the Wall, TVs every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go, stock up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come sentence day.
Speaker 1: Okay, just I had a big ride the Twitter guy baside ocean Front Resort in Parksville. Inbox, I hate doing this, but I think Moj is right. You know why I know Coj is right because Don and siicamouse and who's to go against Donn and Sickamoose says he's right. This is from Don inbox baseide inbox, Don MoG's right. In nineteen ninety five, Rob Deer did do a minor league stint with Vancouver as a member of the California Angels. And I don't I don't think. I think I've got this right, Rob dear going back in time here, you know, bear with me here, folks, robbed you're best known as a Milwaukee and brewer. But the end of his career, I guess acquired by the Angels, and I remember interviewing him. I thought it was with the Brewers, but Moge and don who's to argue against them? Apparently they're right. Ryan, you're happy to hear that. I'm sure.
Speaker 4: Dog ver Encyclopedia very very excited about that.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 14: We got a few photos to wrap up the season, one of which, doll Wall you got the info on this because it's or something a neighbor or something like that.
Speaker 4: This is my neighbor, Kelly right put got it up on the right side there. That's my neighbor, Kelly with his buddy at Green Acres golf course, wearing his Donnie and Dolly shirt. That's Kelly, a good guy who walks his dog. I see him every night. His dog is the biggest dog in the neighborhood, great dane.
Speaker 1: But it's me.
Speaker 4: It's me. My dog sees him and he go turns, run, makes a U turn. Big dog, big dog. Kelly's got a big dog. Great guy. That's my neighbor, Kelly. Right there on the right side. That's a good sun hat. Oh yeah, yeah, that's a great guy.
Speaker 1: Great guy. That's my neighbor. Thanks to Kelly, Kelly, great guy.
Speaker 14: A few more photos a little later on in the show. Okay, So, as we usually do final show of the year, I've put together our Blooper reel.
Speaker 1: But this is also known as a Dully Wall ray.
Speaker 14: Just a reminder, this is just from because we do it at Christmas, so that's September to Christmas.
Speaker 5: So this is from Christmas till now.
Speaker 14: So that's what some of our greatest hits, best moments over the past few months or so.
Speaker 5: All put it together in one.
Speaker 4: If you're ever justified Ryan to stick your finger out, it's watching.
Speaker 13: No, it's not right, but you tell me you haven't. You haven't had stupid moments Vegas. I've been fingered during traffic. You know we've all done it during traffic. I mean someone's giving me the finger. He is probably gonna end up in.
Speaker 4: Abmspord with the absperd heat because all all NHL teams are gonna be allowed no at atmosphere connects.
Speaker 1: He's playing for the atmosphere trouble.
Speaker 4: They don't know, they don't know. Eleven days after, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: I got choked up about this. I'm truk.
Speaker 4: I'm choked about depico. It was ten cents for a pack of hockey cards in the eighties. How much ten cents? And then you'd open it. Before you looked at the cards, you sniffed the gum.
Speaker 1: That's it. It's who's that o? G yep or man og? So very very Uh why are you laughing? What?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that puppy in the studio. Oh yeah, that dog.
Speaker 5: Pick it up.
Speaker 4: Don it's a little guy.
Speaker 1: He's over by you. Now, come on over here, Jack, my little guy.
Speaker 4: Jack Jack's oh Jack, no, no, no, die you ran away.
Speaker 1: Oh look at that Ricky Rick love this guy. Look at this guy. Look at this guy? Is that he doesn't fall off there?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: Hey, you got.
Speaker 1: A cross so beautiful. I was pa, I'm wondering what was at my feet? What's going on here? There's gumming here, there's gumming there.
Speaker 4: You will not chew that gum, They asked, Donnie the bubble gum the eighties?
Speaker 1: Oh so what this is?
Speaker 4: For years old and look that's right, Donny, right, gum the air, have a little, have a little.
Speaker 1: This is disgusting. This is from the eighties. Dog it's correcting.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no, not turning the gum.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's just.
Speaker 4: Bad, Donny, Donny horrible, great, got here good?
Speaker 1: We mean water? Right? Do you get off? MG? Next? Death of Flys is a satisfying routine. See you've had something in your teeth all day, right, and you haven't got floss available, and you finally get the see I finally get that floss out, tie the knot out, the food comes. Oh yeah. She was in one of Austin Powers.
Speaker 4: Movies, Elizabeth Hurleythurny. She dated Gret Hughes for thirteen years.
Speaker 1: You you Gret? No, yeah, yeah you grat.
Speaker 4: But anyways, uh now, let me rephrase that she dated he grat for thirteen years. Okay, it's been a long day. Let me rephrase that we've all been fingered in society. I gotta stop. We've all been given the middle finger. Okay, let me rephrase that we've all been given the middle finger at some point.
Speaker 1: Oh, the way that came out, I can't believe you ate that gum. I don't do this, but that the graphic there, I looked like seven million years old. You kind of look like Colonel Sanders.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the graphic looks nice. And we will be golfing a lot this summer. There's no way if you looks sophisticated. You got the hat on the trousers, the whole nine yards.
Speaker 1: That's a beautiful picture. I look pretty good.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm I'm finding that happened you.
Speaker 1: You should be happy.
Speaker 5: But that's I've ever looked, thanks to got hair there Dave.
Speaker 1: Over at check HQB.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hold on a second, why is there a hair on your head?
Speaker 14: If he really knew, he would know it's very similar. But anyway, those are funny moments. Since Christmas sounds.
Speaker 1: Like your granddad, maybe I do. I guess I could be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wow, nice picture.
Speaker 14: Uh okay, up next, we got more to get to. By the way, the show goes a long. Like you said, we've got to wrap up band names. We got this good guy list our good Palt Tristan North and provides us every season as well, so we'll get to that at some point, and of course more on the Canucks a much more farhands next, though, Sonny Dolly the team I Check.
Speaker 1: Hey everyone, it's DONNIEA. Dolley and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 4: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast and on social media.
Speaker 1: We'd love to get involved with your company. Called two five oh eight eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at checkmedia dot c. Thursday, final day of this Donnie and Dolly season and all of our guests, including farhand Standing by brought to you by Max Sures and the Vancouver Canadians celebrating anniversary seventy five she He's currently on a homestand against Eugene first pitch for tonight's Women in Sports Day game is seven o five pm. For tickets and info, visit m i LB dot com Slash Vancouver CFL reporter for TSN. He's been on the World Cup beat as well. Farhand Lology joining us now. Thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 16: How are you ANX beat? Don't forget that I was at the Rodge yesterday.
Speaker 1: All right, okay, apologize for that. What do you think of the moves they've made nine draft in the last week? Ryan Johnson nine draft picks, two trades, five now six signings farhand. What do you think?
Speaker 16: Well, first of all, the media meal for yesterday was that probably the best ever right right was it was yeah, cage and chicken and potatoes, and Stean broccoley was it was really good. So that was a good move because clearly an upgrade is happening there. But no, look, I think the one thing with Ryan Johnson is that he's being very deliberate and the one thing that really stands out is the number of times he's talked about wanting to make sure there are defined roles. So he wanted a character guy, went out and got Brendan Gallagher. Certainly the guys in the back end and Luke Sheen and Jamie Alexiak fill that role as well. But he also wants to insulate some of the young defensemans, so he's got one guy on each side. You know they're capable of doing that, so not everything is going to fall on those guys every night. You can play a veter next to a young guy and kind of helped work him through this properly.
Speaker 3: So I think all of that is positive.
Speaker 16: You know, I don't know a ton about Catter, but you know, in terms of the other moves that they've made, I think that they're in line with what he wants. So this doesn't make them younger, but it does allow some support for the younger players. And when you get rid of those Zogland, who I guess was younger twenty five years old, that it didn't necessarily have a fit here By replacing one and adding one, I don't.
Speaker 12: Think you're blocking a path for the next guy.
Speaker 16: And then I think if they move on from Jake de Brush, which I think is still going to be out there, I think you know that that's going to open up an opportunity as well. And I do know that there has been some conversation around Elias Petterson. I do know that the Kings made a call and they kicked the tires, and I don't think their offer or not. It wasn't a formal offer, but I don't think what they were discussing providing back was necessarily going to be good enough yet.
Speaker 3: But I think those conversations are going to continue as well.
Speaker 1: We mentioned the World Cup beat a year on it for TSN here in Vancouver tonight it's Switzerland versus Algeria. BC Place eight o'clock. Is this tournament? I know it's the World Cup, but there was some negativity going into this, especially from Ricks. Has this tournament exceeded your expectations?
Speaker 16: I think it has, right, And I think when you expand a team, you dilute the field, or expand a field, right, you diluted a little bit.
Speaker 3: And so going to forty eight teams, there were some concerns.
Speaker 16: I know, there was ten African teams in and people were worried about that, like what are they doing here?
Speaker 3: Well, nine of them got to the round.
Speaker 16: Of thirty two, and some of those teams gave some of the biggest powers in the world massive scares, right when you know, when you look at what's happened, you know England, England got a scare, you know, and others even have even aided through to the sixteen, So, you know, I think the matches have been have been closer and more entertaining in my mind.
Speaker 3: I mean, we've had more scoring and just.
Speaker 16: All the scenes from every city, Like certainly Vancouver's the best because we know where the best, but you don't have to go down, you don't have to go far to Seattle and see some great scenes down there, you know, i'd loomen and and just everywhere, right, the marches in Dallas, the marches in New York, the fans everywhere.
Speaker 3: It's shown, the best of North America. It's shown, and it's shown that the game is slowly shrinking in terms of more teams are there, but the gap is shrinking between them.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to the Lions.
Speaker 4: You can't give up thirty seven points a game foehand because you're putting immense pressure on your offense to produce more than thirty seven. Like, what's going on with the d Are they going to be able to fix this?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: What is happening there?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 16: Rick, First of all, the last game wasn't really a fault of the defense in my estimation. I think it was the special teams, and I think as a result, you've seen a change there, right.
Speaker 3: You know, you give them a kicker turn for a touchdown, you give them a fumble.
Speaker 16: Inside your own twenty five, right, Like those things are problems. Their coverage teams have been awful all season long, but you know they're they're losing. You know, you took a penalty on off sides when you had them off the field and now.
Speaker 3: They who are touchdown later on that drive?
Speaker 16: Right when, Like, while I don't think the defense is elite, you know, they're certainly not good enough to be overcoming those mistakes by other elements of the team on a regular basis.
Speaker 3: And this team is being you know, you're flipping the field.
Speaker 16: They're losing you know, ten sometimes twenty yards on a field flip all the time. So you know, in the offense was tune out a number of times. I do think that the problems are collective. I think the first two games, I'm with you, right like, I think there's a ton to be desired on the part of the defense. I do think the defense took some steps in the last game, but are going to need to.
Speaker 3: Take a bigger step. And you know, the secondary play still needs to improve.
Speaker 16: But keep this in context, guys, offenses across the league are way up only three times this season so fourteen games. That means twenty eight teams have played offense in fourteen games. Only three of those twenty eight as a team had less than twenty five points.
Speaker 3: Right, Like, offenses are through the roof.
Speaker 16: Right now, you got three quarterbacks on pace to break Doug Flutie's passing record right of sixty six hundred yards.
Speaker 3: Now, it's not going to happen.
Speaker 16: But I'm just telling you that offenses league wide are up. We were looking at the numbers right last year at this time, eight starts had already been lost to injury by quarterbacks already at this point in the season. This year, there's been none. So all those things add up to more offense.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, guess who's coming to town. The Eskimos. And they're a whole lot better than they have been.
Speaker 16: You can say the other words, it's okay. Oh, Edmonton wishes they could change it back.
Speaker 4: I know, yeah and all and Donnie and I and you. Eskimo is an empire, Warren Moon, Hugh Campbell. I. I just can't get Elks in my head. But anyways, Edmonton's in town there.
Speaker 16: I can't get into my head. All the soccer terms I can't. Like, there's so many that when I when I get match not game, and side not team, I'd say goaltending instead of goalkeeping or whatever. Like there's too many.
Speaker 1: The worst part is that I'm starting to use them all the time.
Speaker 4: Tie draw, don't do that, I said, Tiemes.
Speaker 16: I know our games are doing it correctly, our North American leagues, our terms are correct.
Speaker 3: To switch.
Speaker 1: I hear you say brace on TSN, I'm going to turn off the channel.
Speaker 3: What's the brace? Like, what's the two goals as of brace? Okay, yeah, yeah, I forgot that.
Speaker 4: It's a last show of the year, last show of the year. Clearly, Elk Malx Elks, the Elks.
Speaker 12: The Elks are legit right like you know ed Hervey the way he built.
Speaker 16: The Elks when they were the Eskimos, when they won the Great Cup with Mike Riley, and how he's building them now, there are such similarities to how deliberate.
Speaker 3: You know, we talked about Ryan Johnson.
Speaker 16: Well, Ed Hervey's been the same way, and he wasn't like that when he was building the Lions right like it was I'm going to show you and prove this and stick it to them, and you know, and I like that a lot, and I've had this conversation with him. But the care with which he's building Edmonton now reminds me so much of what he did then. And you're seeing the fruits of the labor right like last year he knew he couldn't spend on the secondary. He knew he had to get young in the secondary, and this year there's significantly better as a result. And that's why with the lion, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Speaker 3: Everybody wants quick fix.
Speaker 16: And I know, when you got a quarterback like Nathan Urke, you gotta you know, you want to strike while the ron is hot. But Ed took a deliberate, patient approach right this year. He had to make sure he got the offensive line beefed up right, you know, like he's kind of gone position by position and you know, for all the quarterback play that we're talking about, if you ask me for my MP right now, it's justin rankin Like that guy's going to be a handful for BC this weekend, right, Like, you better get him early because he's the rare guy that has breakaway speed and between the tackles, power and shiftiness, like he's got.
Speaker 1: All of it.
Speaker 16: He can play out of the back and he can pass protect. So that guy's a handful. So they got to find a way to stop him and then go from there.
Speaker 3: But it's a handful, you know. Here here's the parallel.
Speaker 16: Twenty eleven Edmonton five and oh BC and five, and that's where the turnaround began. Now one team's three and oh and the other team's own three, So you know, we'll see, maybe, maybe it'll strike twice.
Speaker 1: A deliberate, patient approach working for the Edmonton Elks people in Vancouver, hoping it works for the Cannucks. Farhand, thanks for everything this season. Thanks for today's hit. We couldn't have done it without you, buddy.
Speaker 3: Why do we back? Can you guys take too long of a break.
Speaker 16: We're back in September ninth, better be, better be early September. Enjoy your semi retirement vacation. Give my best to Lisa and the kids. Rick all Eagle fishing, and hopefully you go fishing and golfing and have some good craft.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, wolf is on the menu. Thanks Fran, appreciate it, buddy, boys Ahan lolgy t sn Okay, should we update the pull question now? Our next segment, Next segment, Okay again, our thanks to Farhand up. Next we're going to update the waddling dog question and talk some more about the Cannucks, with some emphasis on a player not many people in this market know much about Paul Cotter. Donny Dolly the Team.
Speaker 8: Donnie and Dolly the Team is supported by able Auctions dot ca A.
Speaker 2: Closing your business we can help.
Speaker 1: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 1: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot ca A. That's sales at a b l E Auctions dot ca A. Seattle.
Speaker 17: Here we go, right off the draw, Sha and Alexia as week, Shame tries a light of fire under his team. He's got the left fan going off. Comes the helmet of Alexia to great boys. Lexiac switches to the rights and now he comes back. But the last after Shan had the early upper hand, they continue to throw man.
Speaker 1: There's a left from Alexiac at the end. That was back on January twenty fifth, twenty twenty three. Luke Shan versus Jamie Alexiak Seattle versus Vancouver, and now they're teammates in Vancouver best pals you'd hope. So, okay, and we're gonna talk some more about the connection Paul Cotter in a second. Meanwhile, let's update the Waddling Dog poll. Question Wadling Dog opening early and is your spot for Canada's match against Morocco Saturday morning, ten o'clock start. Catch the match live and loud on all twenty two t TVs with full sound. Come sit and stay at the dog today, Rick.
Speaker 4: Ryan, get her up the Waddling Dog pop pople question, Well, what has been Ryan Johnson's best move since Friday? And look at this Marcus Patterson leading by large margin seventy five percent, because the Canucks god round draft pick in return for him and going forward down if they can accumulate a ton of first and second round picks, it would be good because they need to finish at the bottom pick high to get out of this message. Yeah, twenty thirty first round a draft pick top ten protected, so it could be twenty thirty one. Yeah, absolutely, people like it, like in that trade.
Speaker 1: Okay. Meanwhile, yesterday the Cannucks amongst their five signings yesterday, and they made another signing today. Matthew Steinberg from the Colorado organization. But yesterday one of the players they picked up that not a lot of people know a lot about in this market is Paul Cotter. And all the talk around him when you dig a little deeper, is that he's got sweeth hands, he's got he's got a personality. Signed a one year deal. Two point one point five left winger, can play center. He's from Michigan Vegas, fourth round draft choice back in twenty eighteen. There's an example of the sweet hands there. And speaking of the sweet hands, Paul Catter is known as his career high sixteen goals, but somewhat of a shootout specialist. Yes, Derek, if you don't mind, we're gonna go back to a Golden Knights game. This is so gia much respect against. Let's go back a bit here. Let me let me set it up here, Derek, if you don't mind, Golden Knights game versus Columbus in twenty twenty three. Now, Logan Thompson is gonna make a shootout save, and the player he makes to save against is somebody else that Cannucks signed yesterday just by coincidence, Trey fix Awanski. And he was with Columbus at the time you're gonna see here, Derek, you can run it now. Logan Thompson is going to signal after making the save to the bench. He's going to signal four and three, number forty three Paul Catter. He knows what Catter is capable of from practices, and sure enough Paul Cotter moved moves in against Daniel tear us off. If hats you shoot the scores and the Knights win. And Ryan Johnson said yesterday when it comes to Paul Cotter, and he likes he's got some speed, he likes to hit that. He thinks there's more there offensively. And you understand that when you see his hands on display at the NHL level. So we'll see about him. I mentioned that he's somewhat of a character. Also, this is a shot of the Devils with Paul Carter after having moved on from Vegas outs. Have you seen this roll it here outside their locker room waiting to hit the ice and who's playing DJ to loosen the boys up? Paul Carter. That's a courtesy of conduction spinning the record. So he's got pretending to with his stick. That's an airband thing. I get it. Okay, but you know you talk about culture having some fun. This guy, this guy might help.
Speaker 4: Here's the other thing about Catter I'm going to tell you about before. For Surewood came to Vancouver. His highest total goals in Vancouver in the NHL was ten. Comes to Vancouver, explodes for nineteen. Can Carter do the same? Donnie? Can he come here and explode? He's had sixteen? Can he get over twenty? What happens when he gets twenty goals in Vancouver? Guess what you can do? What you did with Keith for Sherwood, go get two second round picks for him. I see a lot of similarities between the Sherwood signing and the Carter signing. I'm telling you, Donnie, if he explodes here in Vancouver, it'll be a good situation for the Canucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So there you go a little update on the relatively unknown in this market. Anyway.
Speaker 4: Oh by the way, Carter, by the way, over ten teams showed interest his agent. You know whose agent is done?
Speaker 1: I don't Dan Milstey. Milstey. There you go.
Speaker 4: Is there ever going to be a year when we don't have a Millstein client in Vancouver?
Speaker 1: Milstein also the agent of that seven to one kid that San Jose drafted in the seven.
Speaker 4: Seven foot one in the seventh round.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got the good guy list, Ryan, if you want to set that up.
Speaker 14: So our good pal Tristan to North Vancouver. He's a good guy. He is a very good guy. He I don't know how he does this, but he makes note of.
Speaker 1: All of the people.
Speaker 5: Dolly Wall throws the label of good guy on pretty much.
Speaker 1: After the season.
Speaker 14: So Derek, you get there's three pages, so you can go start with number one. We're not gonna We're obviously not gonna read all these names because there's I think he had the total. I think he told me the total or four hundred and fifty names, including he says this in his email, including Curtis Douglas, who I'm pretty sure was called a good guy in eight consecutive shows.
Speaker 5: That's according to Tristan and North Vancouver.
Speaker 14: So, I mean, the the amount of people on here, Now, there's a lot of people that you would expect. Brook Ward's on there, Carl Valentine's on there, Elliet I don't think.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of guys people expect. Elliott Free.
Speaker 5: Is a lot though, as well, like you see right in the middle of your screen.
Speaker 14: He check boss, check, boss, and check. Apparently we're both labeled good guy. Chris Chris three times, madam a good guy. I don't know who Chris is. You can move on to here.
Speaker 1: Derek Caleb Walter was on there as well. By then, Don Don Johnson is on Don Johnson Miami Vice. Who didn't like Don Johnson Miami Vice.
Speaker 4: I don't know if he's a good guy. He's a good guy, Damn Rights, he is. Jason Beck's on there, Logan stant Coman's on there. He was on the show yesterday. He's on this good guy list.
Speaker 1: Joeff and White Rock Joe Joe f uh. You'll notice there. Keith is on there, pop out towards the bottom, Kenner Pearson, you can go to the last one. Luke Schen's on there by the way.
Speaker 14: Travis Green is on your uhs, Travis Rostockett, Rick Tockett, Rusty's on here. Just simply Paul, Paul and Shirley from England made the list. That's good because they are a good guy. So Stu Walter at them, Donny and I work with Stu and at c n W.
Speaker 1: Great guy uh, and then.
Speaker 14: You noticed Steve in the bottom bottom middle, second from the bottom, some past Fred Hume winners.
Speaker 1: I said, we're a Good Guy Unsung Hero Award for the catch.
Speaker 4: Mortenson a HAPs fan.
Speaker 14: You guys, I'm gonna post this on the Done and Dolly Twitter account, So check for yourself if you've made the list of.
Speaker 1: Good all time favorite rich good guy. I think going back to the start of the show, Dennis the.
Speaker 4: Menace, don't what a guy? What a cartoon? Dennis the Menace wall It wasn't real.
Speaker 1: But other than that, but.
Speaker 4: Don so you're gonna shoot down Dennis a Menace? It was a great as a kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good? Why not? It was a character. He's not an actual person.
Speaker 4: There's not in the movie Dennis a menas who Walter Matthou played U.
Speaker 1: He did not play Dennis the Medic. He didn't play Dennis mister Wilson miss you see the photos as well? Yeah, the photos de photos.
Speaker 14: Yeah, he kind of did it like a scrap of that isod the bad in the background.
Speaker 1: John Travolta is a good guy with ra who doesn't like him. Saturday Night, got time for a photo? Maybe maybe we got we got one we got a ton of them. One of the ones we got here.
Speaker 14: This is Tony, Uh, I think you've got it there, Derek, the one with Yeah, that's the one there, Tony.
Speaker 5: He is a good guy, Tony. So this is Tony. He emailed this to us.
Speaker 14: He actually said us some swag a little while back as well that we mentioned as well. Right, But this is Andrew on the right, along with Tony on the left. But Andrew on the right wearing a D and D shirt. He's a local boy from Chiliwak competing in the National Motorcycle Racing Series in Canada. They're apparently on t s N these series are so and also, by the way, with that log there, Tony's got the dog.
Speaker 5: He's holding the dog. That's Ella the dog.
Speaker 14: Of course we've talked about Ella on the program before, right, So that's.
Speaker 4: Tony the dog. Turning seven today, turning seven years old today. So that's his first trophy, by the way, a bronze and great on you. Andrew van Winkle from a Chilliwack named Yeah and good guy.
Speaker 1: Who do we know?
Speaker 4: And the sixties, Well, Rob van Winkle is no no, the chitty Chitty bang bang guy, Dick van Dick van Dike same thing.
Speaker 1: Also not well. Rob van Winkle is Vanilla Ice. Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh, I see okay, Rob van Winkle. Dick van Dyke was great.
Speaker 1: I think there's better chance of Rob van Winkle being related to Andrew that Dick van Diyke.
Speaker 4: Okay, but you know what you we watched Hitty Chitty Bank Bank in the sou I'm not.
Speaker 1: Going to get it into any details, but is there a better name than Dick van Diyk going strong? Was he one hundred? I think yeah? I think he is Beard? Yeah. Uh.
Speaker 5: Pastime business right here, Look at this.
Speaker 4: The world has arrived in Vancouver and pastime sports and games, as you covered. When it comes to jerseys, scarves and other collectible celebrating the beautiful game. Never been a bigger time to show off your team colors led by Canada's O's country. You may also want to honor your favorites in Europe, South America, Asia or Africa. For more information at store locations, there's a Pastime Sports dot CA laptop.
Speaker 14: From the laptop that's the mape Up Pop figuring card of the Day two cards of the Day. In the middle is the Christiana Ronaldo legend card of course Portugal in action today in Toronto.
Speaker 1: Have you seen the scenes of the crowds there large Portuguese and Croatian population in Toronto. Crazy.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of local folks who the bus pulled up to the hotel and there it was just a ton of people outside.
Speaker 5: A lot of people were hoping they were gonna get pulled here.
Speaker 1: That's not what happened. And the card on the far left is Jamie Alexi. I didn't know I had a card. It took him with this morning poom. What number is he gonna wear here? Because Zev has twenty four?
Speaker 14: But he's older, so could he do the old? You know, I'm gonna pay you a Rolex or something. I need your number?
Speaker 1: Twenty four is a tribute to is it the Goosian I believe? For Zev? Yeah, I think you're right. And then and also he was a Chris Cellios fan and Celio's growing known for set them, but also wore twenty four throats career. There you go a little fact to it for you guys.
Speaker 5: Also, five to five to five is an area.
Speaker 1: That was off the air.
Speaker 4: Oh sorry, Sory five five five Donnie.
Speaker 14: For some reason, pointed out on the break, I don't know why you have this factory sat.
Speaker 1: Your whole numbers on TV shows usually begin with five five five because it's not anywhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not an area quote anywhere. Yeah, okay, I didn't.
Speaker 1: Or a prefix. I think I didn't know that that was off. You know what, you accused me of being an old man. You're getting that body there, You're getting there DTMZX Donnie dogged the team on check.
Speaker 6: The bc Construction Safety Alliance is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers and two hundred and twenty thousand workers across the province. We want to bring the bc csa safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer Safety on Tours instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamic safety demonstrations, from the effectiveness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection. At now to book a memorable Safety on Tour experience at safety Ontour dot Ca.
Speaker 4: To eleven thirty one on a Thursday morning, Donnie Dolia check TV. Now time for DTMZ, brought to you by the world famous Whisler Golf Club GOCI. Big Al out there, Great track, Great Track.
Speaker 1: DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer design Whister Golf Club, where Phase three of their golf course renovation is underway. The golf course will reopen for playing the summer of twenty twenty seven. And again we can't thank all of our clients. We can't thank everybody Whistler enough for supporting the show. For the latest updates on the renovation, follow them on Instagram at Whistler Golf and don't forget their pro shop and driving range are open during the summer. I think big Al was pretty happy about England was up to at the World Cup yesterday, led by Harry Kane. Okay, so everybody who's watched this show for a long time uh knows this, but I'll recap. We uh talk about band names a lot. Somebody will come up with the phrase or a word and we'll say to each other, Hey, that's or somebody's name. That'd be a great ben Yeah, that'd be a great band name. Over the course of did did we do this in December? Ryan? Is this from December on? So this is going back to to September. This is the list of band names we came up with courtesy Derek Wong. Uh, Derek, here we go. Band names. John Mungo what was that? I don't even remember that.
Speaker 4: Oh there was that song? Uh you know the song.
Speaker 1: Mungo? Jerry, Yeah, Yeah, that's it. I'm worried about saying this.
Speaker 4: Next one, General teas General Pope.
Speaker 1: There you go. Sush to do with the soft V soft be notified? The hat people Ronnie Ringwold, that's not Pat Molly, Ken Bob and Sean very good and Tractor Tractors were Tractor will come out of triumphant place in Russia. I gotta say him or.
Speaker 5: Was it crats off?
Speaker 4: No, it was triumphant place in Russia for a team called Tractor And then it's a long name and we were having trouble figuring out.
Speaker 1: I'm going Ken, Bob and Sean here. Yeah, and you have like ten guys in the band soft V. Just okay, page two there, Derek, Let's go to two. Okay. The first one's gotta do Asparagus is Hip Elliott's foot rubbing the bird. I gotta say, right off the bat, Page two is better than page one. Shoulder v's. You know where we got that from. Remember the Connects used to have the shoulder v's back in the eighties. The v's moved from the front of the jersey to shoulders. Wiener on the ground, always a fan favorite. Potential water. That's actually, that's not bad. That's not bad water. Remember that Sherewood in the Sharks. You're right, Page two blows page pancakes eggs, pancakes eggs, and.
Speaker 5: That's the summer vacation coming up as well.
Speaker 4: That's that was an NHL player who does that. He has pancakes, eggs and a nap before a game. That's where that came from. I remember that.
Speaker 1: But that's I don't even know where do I go here for the potential water. I think potential water is so weird. I have no idea where it came from. I'll go with that. It'd be something like electronic man asparagus. His hip is a one hit wonder. Okay, Third page the wrong monahad Oh Nickel Dion as opposed to Yeah, I remember that, Sons of Fathers.
Speaker 15: This is real sons of fathers. The grand Ughes experience very good, very good. Tweaked pull Miss Rick's Friday Night Hughes and Cleaves and Rick the sprinkler guy. I'm going to grand using. I'm going sons of fathers. Sons of fathers isn't bad.
Speaker 4: Sons of fathers is a great bad name. That's the winner's metal.
Speaker 5: He was in Cleeves. Is all like sons of fathers, Simon and garfunk situation.
Speaker 1: You know, sons of fathers, buy a long shot, screams Great Britain using Cleaves. Sons of fathers, Sons of fathers. All right, we're good birthdays, Okay birthdays. But I also wanted to mention what's happening well at the end of the week. We're at the end of the week. Taylor Swift, Travis Kelsey, Madison Square Garden with a castle and a garden inside Madison Square Garden, a thousand guests. They're getting married tomorrow. There's in a gate or our eception today.
Speaker 5: And Maison's Square crazy some of the details around this.
Speaker 1: This is one of those things people earn their money and how they spend it. That that's fine, but I don't know help someone out as opposed.
Speaker 5: To well not they are who employee said Madison Square Guard.
Speaker 1: Guess they don't work, I guess so.
Speaker 14: And the people that build these things, caterers, photographers, the whole nine.
Speaker 1: Absolutely a thousand people that you're like, here's my thing, is like a thousand people when you're talking about Travis Kelsey and Taylor Swift sounds low to me. Yeah, in Madison Square Guarden. So here's the thing that why if you've got a thousand people doesn't have to be at MSG.
Speaker 14: What she's building, right, it's essentially a stage, I think. But now though, now that that numbers out there to the thousand, if you don't make that list, how bad do you feel?
Speaker 1: A great uncle or something like? What the actress is she in a snit with right now?
Speaker 5: Well like Lively right, the whole thing with Coach she was on the with and then.
Speaker 1: All right, it's July second. What do he got for birthdays? Las?
Speaker 4: One final time? This last birthdays of the year. Okay, Ryan, get her up. It's brought to you by Donnie and all these backscratchers and Dental Flossimporium and ball Zach Alberta. This undrafted forward, would play over one hundred games in the NHL. Played at college high ice hockey at Bowling Green State.
Speaker 1: You just say ice hockey. Yeah, it's paste. I was pasting. That was pasting.
Speaker 4: He was a recipient of the Hoby Baker Award in eighty two. Again his NHL career with the nineteen eighty three Stanley Cup playoffs with the Rangers.
Speaker 1: Eighty three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he would join the Washington Capitals.
Speaker 1: In management, he.
Speaker 4: Was Andy McFee, George McPhee and before Washington Pack Quinn brought him to Vancouver, it was Pack Win, Brian Burke, George McFee.
Speaker 1: Well, George McFee was the assistant GM when they went to the Stanley Cup finals. Yes, in ninety four. He replaced Brian Burke, who went on to the Well heart for it and then the NHL front office. But when you said you said something there that I forgot Hoby Baker. Hoby Baker.
Speaker 3: He won.
Speaker 1: And also the best general manager to watch during a playoff game. Yes, he's up there. Zito's up there there. Okay, Hey, maybe it's a tie.
Speaker 4: He's been running Vegas goal for since they won. Tremendous at George McFee. There you go, all right, Kelly. This guy was a third round pick of the Blackhawks in nineteen ninety three. He won Memorial Cups in Kamloops. Nineteen ninety seven, he played his only NHL game with the Blackhawks against Calgary. Spent several seasons assistant coach with the Colona Rockets. Named the rockets seventh head coach in two thousand and seven, got the Rockets to the Memorial Cup. In two thousand and nine they lost a windsor are you guys serious? Like, are you both serious? We're talking Ryan Husker down the Highway or right, did you know highway? Well, just in the Okanagan. It's a band name down the Highway, Ryan Huskott, who won three Memorial Cups, by the way in Kamloops. I was there for one of them in ninety five. Anyways, here we go, I was, I was?
Speaker 1: Or were you working at the time for.
Speaker 4: Saint John and the Rod Branch and Rod Stevens were playing for Kamloops. Rod Branch the goalie, Rod Stevens a forward. I was there, all right. This actor was a writer for Saturday Night Live from nineteen seventy five till seventy nine. When he started at SNL, he was paid two hundred and seventy eight bucks.
Speaker 1: A week seventy five to seventy nine.
Speaker 4: Yeah Yeah, The youngest member actor youngest member of Saturday Night Live appeared on his show from seventy five to seventy nine. In seventy seven, an Emmy Award for writing on SNL. Are you guys serious? He was briefly engaged to Carrie Fisher. He voiced the character of Yogi Bear in Yogi Bear in the movie. He was in the movie Driving Miss Daisy. He earned an Academy Award nomination. Are you you didn't watch Driving Miss Davie Daisy?
Speaker 1: Oh? Oh, idiot is kid who hasn't watched Driving Miss as Academy Award winner? What's his name? The Morgan Freeman?
Speaker 4: But apparently you didn't care about anyone else in the movie.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: Co starred with Tom Hanks and Dragnet. Oh, shame on both of you.
Speaker 1: It's not Morgan Freeman. He was close friends.
Speaker 4: With John Belushi, Acrid Dan that's right, Dan Akwright.
Speaker 1: Let mean, come on, why don't you say why would you not say Canadian? Because if I say Canadian you're gonna get in two seconds. If my job is to make your work for it? What about bass? Gonna said bass?
Speaker 4: He was great in driving Miss Daisy, the Basmattic remember.
Speaker 1: Or just say Basilmatic, you know, say that. I think Bass would give you the c It might okay.
Speaker 4: The last birthday of the season another Saturday Night Live. Best known for seven years at Saturday Night Live nineteen eighty six to ninety three, he along with newcomers Phil Artman, Kevin Nelon, Jen Hooks and Victoria Jackson, got the popularity the show going. He had a minor role in Halloween two.
Speaker 1: In nineteen eighty.
Speaker 4: One, he had a small role in Rob Reiners film This Is Spinal Tap. Oh, oh, come on you, mister, I love spinal Tap? Are you serious? Role Carvey Data Carvey? Yeah, as soon as I said spot.
Speaker 1: He played a mime in Spinal Tap. Yeah that's right, Yeah, that's right. Anyways, and you haven't seen Spinal Tap and.
Speaker 4: His master disguise was good. Garth Wayne's World the Hockey Movie, he was good. Dana Carvey was good.
Speaker 1: Oh his impersonations, Oh, George Bush.
Speaker 4: Parole Parole, who is Ross Barow?
Speaker 1: He was great with Ross Barow. He was so good. Now you know what he was. He did a great impersonation of the person was Johnny Carson.
Speaker 4: Johnny Carson, Yes, he did a great nailed it.
Speaker 1: Nailed it okay.
Speaker 4: Joe Biden too, I remember that, Yeah he did. He did Biden and Elon Musk when he came back. He came back in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: We're good. Ryan Fred Schneider turned seventy five on Wednesday. Singer songwriter, frontman for the Athens, Georgia band That's Going to Play Us out October nineteen eighty in the album Wild Planet B fifty two's and Private Idaho On check you got this Beware of the Pool on a BC Thursday, Is it just meet? It's next going three foot hot Dogs, postgame fireworks, Friday noonters and the future Toronto Blue Jays right in your backyard. Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nap Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight seven to two, five two, three to two today. Oh you have this song? This is the name of the band. I always thought it was a guy Tommy.
Speaker 4: Two Ton, Tommy two Tones eight six nine, and I listened to it in the gym every day every day.
Speaker 1: Well, no, when I go, I'll put this on. But Tommy two Tone is the name of the band, like a Pink Floyd kind of thing. It's is it just me? Brought to you by O p e IC Outdoor Power Equipment Institute of Canada. Did you know you can recycle electric lawn and guard equipment for free? O p e i C operates a province wide network of recycling depots to ensure old electric outdoor power equipment gets collected and recycled responsibly. Visit O p e i C dot CA to get more info. O p e C dot C A rick, all right.
Speaker 4: The funniest thing that's gonna happen this summer is Petterson's gonna get traded and you guys will be off. I am petrified of that. If they trade Lash Pederson and you're in overseas or at a lake or a golf course, what are we going to do.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna stay at the lake or the golf course. Yes, good call, and maybe put something out on Twitter. Yeah, News Nick. Is it just me? Or did Ryan Johnson just sign as many Canadians over the last two days as they had in the lineup hall of last year? Us to Dick alexiak Shan Gallagher earlier in the week, good Canadian acted a Canadian the first round.
Speaker 4: Good Canadian kids are on the way, and the Canucks Canadian content is up. It was embarrassingly low the last few years and it's time to change that.
Speaker 1: Matthew Steinberg who they signed today from Colorado, from.
Speaker 4: Halifax or born in Halifax, Yes, exactly, Get another more Canadians please?
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 4: Or is Curtis Douglas signing the only thing missing from the Great Canucks Day yesterday? Sandy and Nova Scotia. I think that's Curtis Douglas.
Speaker 1: Good for him.
Speaker 4: He got two years, he got one point to one way. I don't think the Canucks were willing to do that with him. They never made a formal offer. But good on that guy. This guy right here should up being back with the Canucks, I'm telling you. And let the guy walk two miles, no, two hours down the highway.
Speaker 1: Donnie's gonna be in Seattle. They got another big guy, Jamie Luxia. That's right? Is it just me? With two months off? Will Dolly be able to afford the Crown Royal or will he have a fry summer? What summer? I'm not sure you should have read that one. That's unsigned. No, no, no, that's in Mike and Maple Ridge. Okay, good guy.
Speaker 4: I should do a list of Rick's favorite TV shows. Brady Bunch of Gilligan's Island, Dave from Colonna, Donnie Happy Days is number one, the Fawns, followed by Gilligan's Island and Freeze Company.
Speaker 1: That's my three favorite all time? Is it just me? This is from our friend again Don and Sikamu? Is it just me? For the old timers? Remember Brooks Robinson, Baltimore Orioles Great played at Capolano Stadium. That was with the Mounties. But I think that was before he became became a major life a star, a star.
Speaker 4: But he started here in Vancouver and it was the expos that it was, Yeah, exposed to centim here, was it not Brooks Robinson?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you helped me out. I what was that? They weren't around them? That was that was a long long time. They were the Mounties and Brooks Robinson played, he was a vacuum at third base for the Baltimore or he's a lot of people texted and say, what about Sammy Sosa? I remember interviewing he was he was here I think when they were affiliated, well but with the White Sox and yah, let's just say he was small and and that changed. What do you got? I wonder why it changed? We all know why.
Speaker 4: Uh, this is a good submission.
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 4: Or did Vinnie Darnay hit the lotto yesterday? Four point two million?
Speaker 1: Four years?
Speaker 4: Washington, Bobby and Donnie. When I saw that contract for Vincent d RNA, Cannock signed him for two years, got rid of him a few weeks later. For this guy to get four point two wow, Wow.
Speaker 1: That might have been the most surprising move figed yesterday, especially for people who know him, a fan base that knows him fairly well, A carpenter from Chilliwack. Is it just me? Cannock surprised me. They removed a long term cap hit Marcus Pett. They brought short term capits that help this team with the locker room and on the ice. I was sure they were going to do fringe deals only There wasn't one move they made where I thought, Man, that's that's that's not very smart. Everything makes a hell lot of sense. And Ryan Johnson and company there they are men of their words. They were talking about you know, patients and about you know, getting grittier and tougher and leaders shaking the right veterans culture who can bring leadership to the dressing room. And absolutely very impressive. They're doing everything right. They're good. Break. Okay, one last time. We'll wrap up the show next and wrap up the poll question. Don't need all the team on check. Remember that dead electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping you'll come back to life?
Speaker 4: Oh b I see is PC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment.
Speaker 1: Just like other electronics, electric lawn and garden equipment can also be when it reaches the end of its useful life.
Speaker 4: Old electric yard tools don't have to end up in the landfill. If you're electric outdoor power equipment cappy fixed.
Speaker 1: It could be recycled. Whether it's a leaf blower, trimmer, or lawnmower. Many can be recycled for free in BC. Visit opeic dot Ca to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly. That's ope, I see dot Ca. No, you usually do this in a Friday, but this is our last show of the week. So here we go as we continue our kind of pathetic campaign to try to get Patrick Hernandez nineteen seventy nine hit and that guy being played on a regular basis at Rogers Arena during a Canucks camp. What's a been four or five years now? Gretchall great? Shall we'll keep going next season as well as we like that song you mentioned that, and the Canucks win a big game and that plays, Oh, the place would go nuts. Three people would remember the song. But still to Doug pul Rick, Ryan.
Speaker 4: Get her up the waddling dog poll question And for the last time this season, what has been Ryan Johnson's best move since Friday? Look at this the Marcus Patterson trade leading by a large margin seventy five. Nothing else comes close. Patterson, of course, got the Canucks the first round draft pick, That's why that is so high.
Speaker 1: And they had to give up a first round draft pick in order to get Marcus Patterson seventeen eighteen months ago. And today, after yesterday's activity, Canucks signed Matthew Steinberg from Colorado, twenty five year old center. He's from Halifax and also a Vechkin's back with the Capitals for another year. What do you got overseas?
Speaker 14: Right, let's go to Vernon. First of all, we got that one first. This is this is I believe it is one second. Here it's Leon and Vernon. Three generations of his family gathered around the Great Cup last weekend in Colonna. I gotta say, we've gotten so many photos from that Lions game in Colonna. So thank you everybody in the interior thinking of us. Thank you to everybody all season long for thinking of us and sending it photos all across the globe. But the Lions just did a bang up job, it seems like in Colonna. Not a surprise. But this is a great photo. Thank you Leon for sending it in. I hope you guys had a blast.
Speaker 1: And we're going for Lions fans. You hope the Lions come up with a better performance Saturday.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I really, I really hope they get one up there. We're going overseas now. This is your most mainland MO.
Speaker 1: Mainland MO.
Speaker 4: A recent trip to Porto bar of Ar to Mexico. Look at this Mainland mo from Powell River. Beautiful Powell River, Homa, Gary Loopol. I worked there, Donnie. You know it's a beautiful. There's no better place, no better place in British Columbia, in the sunshine, Burnaby, then Powell River.
Speaker 1: Stop. Powell River is beautiful. I I don't think you've been. You haven't been to Powell River. You can't say that I haven't, But I don't necessarily know that. You have to do. You know where Powell River is. It's on the water Sunhink Coast. Thank you. It's beautiful, beautiful. You work there? Uh allright? Worked CHPP twelve et. I was there. I want to find those tapes. I'm gonna make a call.
Speaker 4: I don't want to find those tapes.
Speaker 1: Thanks for tuning in, folks, Thanks for tuning in all season. This is our last show. Thanks to everybody, our customers, all our clients, and certainly, like I said at the start of the show, are bosses on behalf of Ryan Derek Rick, everybody here at Oh Boy check. I'm Donnie. You're up to date in the world of sports. Have a great summer.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to Follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.