Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez soun Fox Sports fourteen to fifteen, powered by Nova Insurance Services. It's sure your most prized possessions, kat z R TUPSA and iHeartRadio Stationia.
Speaker 2: Hey, good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to you. I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. Jagan Zolas is out today, my guest homestays great friend and sponsored Lamont Honeley, former U A football player, and Juana is guiding us today. Welcome the month.
Speaker 3: It should be a good show today. You got you know, some real talent here.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you Je for being here. You must have had nothing to do this afternoon. Thankfully for me.
Speaker 3: When you call me like on the last hour, Oh yeah right, you please give me notice.
Speaker 2: I'll give you twenty four hours coming. Did you come on?
Speaker 4: Sure? And then you instant message me. You don't have to addict and you know the decency to.
Speaker 2: Call me no cook. That's how we communicate. I don't We're like an old married couple, man.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't you when you're on that a lot, you're on Facebook, but but I like a person to call me so I can say.
Speaker 2: No, tell me a first, and I don't like that, So that's why I missed the messaging. Well, I'm glad you're here. Reluctantly, I know I have to drag you out. I guess you know. I'm not gonna apologize for dragging you out.
Speaker 3: No problem. I enjoyed this Friday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Three o'clock. The people at your offers say, God, I got them out, Thank you. Good.
Speaker 3: I'm good with it. Yeah, okay, I'm looking forward to it. Let's do this.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, we're gonna talk a lot about football obviously. Have you had a chance to go to practice or no?
Speaker 3: Probably no, I have not.
Speaker 4: Actually I was on campus this morning for some other business and then I looked over into the practice and had the opportunity to stay, but I didn't.
Speaker 3: But I'm looking forward to going.
Speaker 2: Did you go to that thing with the DESIREE. I think there was like a like a pow wow. I don't know what it was like a get together.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, basically everything is based around the new direction they're going with the with the marketing, the marketing direction they're taking at this point in time. So they invited a few partners that they had in the past years, and you know, Arizona Health is one of those partners. So we had the opportunity to sit and talk to their team and look like it's going the right directions.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward for all different levels or what like, communications, marketing, get the advertisers, kind of thusday about what's going to happen.
Speaker 4: Well, trying to get the get the money twenty people here in Tucson who can afford to advertise at that level, A look exciting and and letting them know that, you know, we do have a different game plan, but we want you here, we want you to be app Okay, I mean it was kind of a little soft warming, but yeah, but we appreciate it.
Speaker 2: So I know you're kind of biased. I know you're kind of biased, you know on this way you like to do the way things are being done.
Speaker 3: You mean, all the platform, the whole athletic department is just football.
Speaker 2: The whole thought the department and football.
Speaker 3: If you want to go there, well, football by all means.
Speaker 4: I love the way the things that I'm seeing football, I mean I I mean again, I like it to a lot of things that take place in the previous years that we played here, guys that played here and under coach told me as well as lur Smith.
Speaker 2: And what does that mean? Family?
Speaker 4: The culture, the family culture and what Brennan and his staff is bringing. I mean he put things out on the universe and and and and make it happen. He gets these kids to believe in their direction that he's taking. The thing that I like too is that he less his coaches coach and I see that's taking place, and uh, and a kid gonna be more you know, excited about coaching for his position coach versus playing for his position coach versus playing for the head coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So let me ask you, because I asked Jay this yesterday. I don't think I've asked anybody this question in a long time. If at all, you have a very good coach or a coach, you have very good players. What's more important the talent or the coaching?
Speaker 4: If you have a very good coach or player, which more important than talent?
Speaker 2: What wins you a lot of games?
Speaker 4: I think talent wins a lot of games. Well, you could be a bad you got great talent.
Speaker 3: I think the talent.
Speaker 2: We've also seen that you've had good talent with the bad coach and they just don't play hard for me.
Speaker 3: So I guess neither one makes a difference.
Speaker 2: Well there's no right or wrong answer, but but good point we kind of determined, at least with jay Is, I think they're kind of together. They simultaneously you need a good coach.
Speaker 3: But I think I think it's that's a good statement.
Speaker 4: And when you come to football, because you got more no personnel, no, you got more personnel that's involved.
Speaker 3: Let's take basketball.
Speaker 4: You can have a talented player on basketball and a pretty bad coach. And if that player is on basketball, Sean Elliott, it was very talented guy. I'm not saying Luke was a bad coach, but I think that was that they turned everything around for Arizona basketball because he got that talented player in Sean Elliott. And yeah, I mean you got a limited roster that's on the on the court at that point in time.
Speaker 3: But football, I.
Speaker 4: Mean you're talking a lot of bodies, so I can see maybe that can be you know a little different in football than basket.
Speaker 2: So when you played, when you were playing, and when you're brother playing those guys who did I still believe that you play hard for the people you you respect, that you loved to play for. With all questions, So who did what motivated you to play and to get better?
Speaker 3: Well, myself first and foremost. Yeah, I have a self motivated.
Speaker 2: Because that what makes a good player anyway.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 4: I mean, you gotta be within yourself. But there are some players that need someone to get that out of it. Exactly, they just don't have it. So there are some players that need to have someone to get pull that out of it. I was fortunate that I had a brother in my household that that kind of drove me to be better because he's such a great player. And I did everything I could do to you know, make myself a pretty decent football.
Speaker 2: Before we go to the next one. Did he did he push you verbally or otherwise? Or he was just your inspiration?
Speaker 3: He was just my inspiration. There was nothing you know that he would size himself up.
Speaker 4: So you gotta do this, you should, right, He just I guess he just showed by, he gave my experience or he showed me back examples and.
Speaker 2: Who's your who's your who's your who's your position? Coach Tom Roganman, Okay, so and he he was one of those guys.
Speaker 3: Inspiration, perspiration and inspiration.
Speaker 2: Did he beat did he beat your ass? Did he push your ass?
Speaker 3: Mentally he did?
Speaker 4: But he I mean he was strong enough that he would get in and play with us, you know, and show us different things.
Speaker 3: So that's what I meant by the perspiration aspect of it.
Speaker 4: But but mentally, I mean he would he would play with your mind at the beginning of the practice of the week and then he I mean, he'll put you in a place where you prepare for Saturday. He did everything he needed to do prepare you for Saturday. And then at that point in time, he was playing the game with you on Saturday. I mean, he's on the sidelline, playing the game with us. And then you know, and that's to me, that's a good sign of good coach.
Speaker 2: Well, no, exactly so, and this is what I've learned. The good coaches mean something. They mean something, and you and you work Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday to show what you've learned on Saaturday.
Speaker 4: Exactly and and you know, and then if I look at this roster of coaches, I think we got quite a few of those guys.
Speaker 3: Alonzo Carter.
Speaker 4: I mean that that guy, he's I mean, I think he has every you know, every every bit of interest in his kids, and he's coaching over there and those kids going to play for him, you know, of course Dwayne, I mean Dwayne's it's.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, he's got that.
Speaker 4: He just has that yeah, with them in itself and stuff. And you probably can go down the list, and there's quite a few other.
Speaker 2: Show you without naming names, because I don't want you to name names or unless you want to. Uh, I've been around thirty eight years. Uh, you've been around forty forty oneish, forty tewish. Uh, they haven't had Uh, there's been a few coaches that haven't had that. That's it, right, And.
Speaker 3: The reason why they didn't they're not here.
Speaker 2: They're not here, and they didn't have the seasons they should have had exactly right.
Speaker 4: Oh Yeah, quite a few coaches that that's you know, before my time and during my time that did come and go, and even coaches on the staff. I mean there's probably some coaches on different staffs that didn't have that. Yeah, and those coaches didn't stay around with the given staff at that point in time, and you know, and that's and coaches basically they got to get rid of guys and find the right chemistry or right personality to make things happen for them, just like they recruit a kid to come play for them, recruiting the coach.
Speaker 3: Sure, the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, okay. So that was the football side of it. What about the athletic side of it? You like what's calling on? There's a change, a huge change. He key's out, we have desiree in. I think it's probably too early to tell what directions it's going to go, but you see that there's a different direction.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean that's a very different direction as far as even the makeup of the players that's playing right now, meaning.
Speaker 3: The staff that's over there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's a wait and see game. Really, you know, I think it's too early to put out what we're gonna I like her energy, though, I really do like her energy. She's out front with with every with everything. She's she's there with every sport, all the coaches, and and she's a fan and she's a fan for for Arizona Athletics and and you know, so those are the things that I've seen in her at this point, and too, you know that that's gonna make a difference in the next few.
Speaker 2: Months, right, So I guess so if you could, and we talked about it at the beginning when you showed up, if you could say what you learned today from your experience, because there was a lot of people like you. I saw some phases.
Speaker 3: There were you there.
Speaker 2: No I saw on Facebook because it became Facebook official. So I saw some people. And that's why I said it was you, it was your brother. It was because it was kind of kind of in the background. They kind of agree with you, this is okay, maybe maybe there's something here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And and like I said, it was pretty much a little soft date.
Speaker 4: You know, they actually to come over here and just just meet you, so to speak, and get a face with a name. And I think in the next couple of days, because I mean it's got to happen quick. In the next couple of days, I think a lot of stuff is going to take place, and a lot.
Speaker 3: Of things is going to happen.
Speaker 4: And you know, again, this athletic program and this athletic team belongs to this community. And and I think those people that's in that room, they realize that you know, it belongs to us, and if we choose to give, it's gonna be our choice because it's our team and our university. And the person that there, she's a bad problem.
Speaker 2: Well that's the whole thing, because they needed to sell it to you because you guys have deeper pockets than most people. No, but you do have. They're not asking you to dance if you couldn't dance, you know, so you have some pockets.
Speaker 4: Pockets you know, you know, And and I do have a different perspective of it than maybe some of the other people because again.
Speaker 3: You know, you were involved and was involved.
Speaker 4: I mean I came to this university, I played at this university. I graduated from this universe, not saying to people in the room. Other people in the room wasn't or it didn't, but I did, you know, So I do have some personal interest in it on that end of it, And honestly, the last few years that I chose to do some form of advertisement is because of that. And that's the direction I even expressed to you know, Tony, is that the guy's new marketing guy. And I said, you know, I'm doing this because I mean relationship that I have with my university. And you know, whatever you guys to choose to share with me is gonna be icing on the cake.
Speaker 2: No, no, I think that if they sell you guys, I'm saying you, you and many others like you who believe in the product, will help them get out of whatever mester in. Now, did you see? And I want to talk about this, and I hope you don't have this on breaking news, but the schools are going to charge fans Joe Public twenty five bucks, thirty bucks to go to go watch a practice. The Alabama's go House states to collective, to add to the nil collective, they're thinking of making one hundred fifty three hundred thousand dollars to go watch a practice.
Speaker 3: Well, those schools can do that.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, Arizona, you can draw maybe people.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's free. Now, how many show up?
Speaker 2: Well? Good point?
Speaker 3: Okay, so good point. Now you're gonna charge me?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I don't think right now.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, and again, those schools can do that because everybody's just you know, it's and again it's such a cultural thing that they grow up soon as they come out come to this earth.
Speaker 3: You know, it's Bama, it's.
Speaker 4: It's a Gator, it's all these different things. Yeah, you know, so that's a that's a no brainer.
Speaker 2: So how in the hell are you gonna compete?
Speaker 4: Well, I think the rich gonna get rich and everybody else is just gonna keep treading.
Speaker 5: On the water.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's no, it's not gonna be no different.
Speaker 2: It's no different.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean, there's gonna be some schools that can't survive by by by all means, Arizona will survive, but they won't be on the Alabama.
Speaker 2: It's the level of survival.
Speaker 3: They will survive, but they won't be Alabama stuff.
Speaker 4: And I think this new direction they're going right now, with the monies that they're going to create, it's gonna help.
Speaker 2: Do you and your guys, whoever your guys are to hang out with, uh, those with the kind of deep buckets talk about talk about the situation or no.
Speaker 4: Because I mean I talk about it with my family. Yeah, you know, I talk about with Arizona formal players. You know, we talk about situation. I talk about it with you know, some of the coaches that good friends of mine about things like that. But you know, that's pretty much the extent of it.
Speaker 3: Right, you know.
Speaker 4: And you know what I can give is probably some cases just my words, and you know what I think I might know, but I can put it in front of you, and then you choose to take.
Speaker 2: And to see how you can help at whatever level.
Speaker 4: You know, And that's important, you know, And I think that's one of the things that Desertraeys said today.
Speaker 3: How can you help me in whatever level?
Speaker 4: And you know, a person that give me one dollar to a million dollars, it's all important to us. Yeah, you know, because I believe that person give you one dollar can be a million dollar person at one point in time. But if you do the wrong thirst wrong thing to that person, they ain't got nothing.
Speaker 2: And we've known without saying names, that that has happened when you pissed off the wrong guy and then they're gone exactly.
Speaker 4: And I think they get that, at least she gets that, and she's hopefully going to move it towards her staff and treat us all this out.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's take a break. We're gonna go come back with our Friday guest, always Jake Fisher, another linebacker. Then we'll talk about linebacker you okay cool?
Speaker 6: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instack cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your love. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 4: Where do you buy exercise equipment Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 7: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve.
Speaker 3: Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on.
Speaker 7: Twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 8: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your company's giveaways. Keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit their Creative Awards Idea center at two twenty eight West Drackman Street or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot Com.
Speaker 9: At Noble Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get hash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltepeteam dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona KO nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, how to commitment to Lyndrix Syncredit rates and available loan programs are subjct to change with U Notice.
Speaker 10: Did you know Sports cards at Memorabilia are setting records sales last month of nineteen fifty two, tops Mickey Mantle sold for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie so for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years.
Speaker 2: They are located on e Speedway. That's show time cards.
Speaker 11: Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and.
Speaker 12: You could win big. Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 5: That really insured and CUA guy bugs, termites, bees, are rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Steve Rapia and Jacob Solids.
Speaker 1: They have their eye on the Fall on Tucson's sports station CHET Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Wyne the Ball. Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Roberta. He's Lamont Huntley. No, Jay to Day got one with us, and we also have Jake Fisher. It's Flaye Backer Day at Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 3: I want you let go.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 13: I'm doing well. I'm doing well. Working a little bit too much on a Friday for my liking, but it's okay.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, So did you did you watch Jake play? Did you watch like watch them?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, I watched Jake play. I ja, you don't have to be nice to I'm not being nice. What'd you think?
Speaker 2: What'd you think?
Speaker 3: I mean?
Speaker 4: I'm a man of my words, So you know I'm who I am. You know, I always respect for the game. Did he played? Because I mean, he wasn't the biggest person out there on the field, but I think he was very smart football player in regards the instinct of the game to place himself in the position to do the right things in his position.
Speaker 3: That's why he you know, the.
Speaker 4: Type of tackles he made and how many tackles he made because he played a game with smartness and not with you know, the strength that some players played with.
Speaker 2: Is that accurate?
Speaker 13: Little like us. We got to be in the right place at the right time and we're not gonna be on the field exactly.
Speaker 3: You find your spot and you did well, Jake.
Speaker 13: Yes, sir, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So what do you know about what's going on for the first two three days of practice.
Speaker 13: Well, I heard that some of those newcomers that everybody was having questions about it looked really good. Uh, kilbru, I've heard looks the part a couple of the defensive guys. I forget the kids name from Colegate, whatever the heck, he's like a Nicols slash stape. I heard. He's looking like, you know, he can play a lot. Uh. You know. Obviously, the guys that we all know on a first night basis, they're all looking awesome. Have a few guys that they're keeping out because we don't want them to be hobbled come the first game. And I think that's uh. From everything I'm hearing, it sounds like Noah is looking like all world quarterback again. So I think, you know, from everything I've heard, everything's looking good.
Speaker 2: To both of you. Uh, flow right, just to flow. Uh. He came in with this reputation Oregon could play. How would you handle him? Because I think we've seen by the Naked eye a very a very energetic, kind of y goosey crazy player. I could be wrong, but how do you harness that energy to get him to play smart, to play like Jake?
Speaker 4: Well, well, first and foremost, it got to start in the classroom, you know. I think part of his problem is that he might not know the scheme or understand this game. And and again it's just me watching him, and he might not understand this.
Speaker 3: Game, but notice scheme. So that basically put him maybe a second or soul, you know, away from you.
Speaker 4: Know, making an impact play because he's thinking, he's not reacting, you know. So I don't I don't know how much he really understand the game of football. Like I was saying with in Jake's situation, he knew what he had to do once he got on that on that field and the ball snap, you go through the motion, and I think that's what's holding that skid back. He really, you know, don't have the true understanding or the grit in regards to where I'm at, where I'm supposed to be, and he's just reacting Jack Jake.
Speaker 13: Well, to be honest with you, he has gone through what three different schemes in three different years, so you know, I understand how hard that could be. But just the basic fundamentals. I mean, remember in high school, this kid came out, He's running a four three five and you know how big an athletic and you know, just crazy than athletes he is. He probably really didn't have to. But this is the thing. If if he can't kind of pick up on some of the schemes, you know, throw him in when it's gonna be the blitz package. Just let him, you know, put his you know, put his ears back, go after the quarterback, or just make it simple for him. That's that's the thing. You want to have an athlete like that at your disposal, and then just put him on every single special team. You know, let him run down, let him hit the hell out of somebody and make an impact, and.
Speaker 4: That'd be the perfect place for him, because again on a special team, he makes that impact that way. I mean that carries on to the defense. At that point in time. So the defense going on in the field and excited the fact that that hit, that's the place, you know. But you know, in fairness to him too, I mean, he has to know what's going on so he won't get hurt out there too.
Speaker 3: I mean, because you're sitting there, I mean, you got you your hands out on the slop. Understanding what's taking place, he can subject himself to get.
Speaker 2: Hur Conversely, let's go to the other linebacker, who's whole world money, right, He's kind of like got Jake in him, no time and circumstance, place and stuff, and just just very good Jake, very good.
Speaker 13: A little bit more, uh, I mean he's got a little bit more pop than I did. Obviously I get there and make the tackle. But when he shows up, he's not going to live in hell out of people, so understands the defense. You know, it's just instinctial for him. He just he was born to play the game of football. I love how he was literally kind of you know, not the that all the Division One teams were looking at. We had a coaching staff, you know, the last one that actually could pick out talent. They didn't care about his size. They just said, hey, look at that dude's a ballplayer. Let's give him a shot. He came in and he made you know, he made his imprint on the team. So I'm happy to have him exactly.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean he had a chip on his shoulder. I mean, the kid had a chip on the shoulder. And and you know that's the you know, most dangerous football player that has a chip on their shoulder. He came in with a chip on his shoulder. He didn't start when he first got here, so he wanted to be out on the field. And again, he's he's a he's a student of the game. He's a coach on the field. I mean he understands every position that's on the football field, the front, the middle, as well as the back. Lance Riggs, sorry, Lance Briggs, he reminds me of that type of a player.
Speaker 2: I mean he does you know, different different buddy, but he.
Speaker 4: Had different body pipe, but he's a kid that knows how to get to the football. And Lance was one of those that was a gritty football player that played between tackle and tackle and found himself getting.
Speaker 3: To the football. So I see a lot of that in him when it comes to attacking the ball with land Stead.
Speaker 4: But again, you know, it's it's what he does, what he does off the football field, watching the film, getting himself prepared that way was what's making him the football player years right now.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and he's about the same height as me. Every time I get above two twenty, my knee started hurting. All that other stuff. He carries the way well, and he shows up and he's not afraid to put his face in the fan.
Speaker 3: And a true leader too, because everyone's following this.
Speaker 2: So for both of you, do you, guys, when you go to the game, because I know you do, do you watch that position specifically or do you eventually just watch the game and see the game? You know what I'm saying, Because you guys.
Speaker 4: Were linebackers, Well, I mean I watch more on the other side of the ball. You know, I kind of look through the defense and check out the offense. I have found myself looking more of the understanding of the offensive line in the defensive line because I didn't pay much attention to that. And then naturally, once the ball in the air, your head is going wherever the ball is at that point in time. I mean, so you see a glance of different players and whatnot that's playing the game. But I try to try to keep my focus on the offensive line, defensive lining, and from that point.
Speaker 3: I'm following the ball.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's like watching film all over again. You're trying to pick up tips of where they're going to run the ball or what they're going to try to do to the defense, and then the very first thing that you think about is what the hell will we do in that situation? So I kind of read through the lines as well. I try to pick up throughout the game, just little things that they give you, and then you know, as soon as the ball snaps, I go ahead and I say, okay, what's Mod'm doing? So kind of the same thing, just go back to the film.
Speaker 4: Room, Jake, do you ever find yourself when you're sitting there, you're watching the game, and then all of a sudden you see a certain formation something pop up, and you know what that play is automatically.
Speaker 13: Yeah, there are some like I mean, you know, remember like you know, back when Harbaugh was there and Shaw was over at Stanford, I could call out every single damn play because they didn't care exactly what you were doing. They were going to try to run over you, or they were gonna split all their big guys out, or they were gonna, you know, do a shift where all the tight ends we're gonna come back into the box and just try to run you over. If you have like your Nickel package out there Oregon, you know, they were kind of the same. You know, even under Chip Kelly and Helfrish, you knew what they were gonna run. They were just gonna do a fast up tempo. Some of these other teams where it's a little bit more methodic, you know, it's a little harder to depict, but you know, depending on what the team is and who the coach is, Yeah, I could kind of count exactly what they're gonna do.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: So let me let me ask you, because guys, like when we watch a game, we watch a game, you know, right down the places, blah blah blah, tell people what happens. But is it is it fun because you guys aren't because are fans, but you guys are watching it differently than normal people.
Speaker 4: If that's the case, well, I mean again, it's I think it's only fun right now? Is a wild get to me if we're winning. I mean that if I'm watching the game and we don't win, It's not.
Speaker 3: Fun on that aspect of it, you know.
Speaker 4: So again, if I'm if I'm watching the game, I'm resolving looking at something and trying to get an understanding what's taking place.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I have this recall sometime and I can see a line, a wide receiver line in a certain place, a tight end line, and a certain pace just because of the way he's placed on the field in his alignment, I can tell you what type of route he's running, you know, And those kids should be able to do the same thing, because there's only you know, certain routes you run out of a tree as far as a route tree, and it depends on where you lined up on the football field that's going to determine that route that you're running in that tree.
Speaker 3: And I'm hoping, I pray.
Speaker 4: That that's what they're teaching these kids, these basic fundamentals like that, you know. So, I mean there's times that that I can sit there and look at the attitude of a player and see if he's gonna be in that play or not, because there's some guys that are lining up just his demeanor he gets to the line of scrimmags come out to and he's not part of the play, so he's not going to do anything to be effective in the Actually, Jake, Yeah.
Speaker 13: It's fun now because I mean, I mean, rich Rod was a hell of a coach, but the talent upgrade ever since, you know, the last guys came in and to now the talent upgrade, it makes it really fun because now you have a potential All American at like four or five different positions. You know, they're going to compete and then you know, like what we were saying before, you could tell if somebody is ready to play. You know, if you got a corner that keeps getting beat and keeps hanging his head, it's like, well they're just going to pick on him all day. Why the hell, you know, why would I be watching this guy? So with the upgrading talent and makes that a hell of a lot more fun. Having a guy that can legitimately be in the Heisman conversation that quarterback is going to make it even more fun. You know, hope the defense is ready to you know, kind of do what they did last year, especially the last four or five games with all those top twenty five teams that they were doing, with the exception of Colorado, where they're flying around the ball knocking the hell out of people. And you know, with Dwayne King at the helm, I'm looking for more blitzing. So I'm gonna have some fun this year.
Speaker 2: So so I've said this for a few months now, after seeing Timac, you know, for two years now. If he does play this year and plays really really well and doesn't get hurt, I'll say that he'll be and he'll end up his career as the best player to ever play here. All due respect to your brother and some of the older guys that played before him, But I love the way he plays. I don't know what you guys think, but I just love the way he plays well.
Speaker 4: I mean he does, I mean, and the reason being because he plays offense and and most people that you know don't understand the game of football. They think, you know, you in the end zone, offense rules and you score and that's the greatest thing in the world. Yeah, I mean, but you know, a defensive player can have such a great impact on the game, in my opinion, you know, more than an offensive player. Because I keep you on the end zone, you can't win.
Speaker 2: Well, that statement the people that the guys who have played throughout the University of Arizona throw defensive players all the good all the known players are these your brother Chuck the brush Wald, there's name an offensive player that you can kind of rattle off. Uh, you know, but we guess who drives the Cadillacs the defensive guy.
Speaker 4: But but but I do I mean in regards to I have strong belief in that kid. And TC, I mean I think t mac is is he's our guy. I mean, he's our guy that's going to you know, make the difference as far as win and losses throughout the year. And and I hope he has a great impact year and outstanding year and break all the Bobby Way's records and get drafted in the first round and hopefully you get drafted higher than backing Jake.
Speaker 2: Would you agree with me or temper that a little?
Speaker 13: It's a little different for me because he has so many damn good defensive players that have come to view of a and it's you know, we've had some some very well known folks on the offensive side of the ball. But you know, when you think about guys like Ron CASKI who I think you know, obviously his career got cut short here at the U of A because of injury issues. But then you have guys like Nicholes, who has won a Super Bowl MVP. I want a receiver or you know, an offensive lineman to come out and just be one of those guys that's in the top you know, one hundred all time in the NFL. And this guy, I mean six four obviously he's probably around like a four four five, a four five. He's not, you know, a burner. But if he can get his routes crisp, I mean, he already has all the god given talent to be, you know, an all world receiver at the next level if he has a great year and as long as you know, obviously he continues to get coached up, which from everything that I've heard, the dude is a workhorse and he does whatever you tell him. And he's got a great work you know, like a great attitude when it comes to you know, showing up to practice, doing what he needs to do. Guys a limit for him, you know, I want some more offensive guys. We have plenty of defensive guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well they're doing the ball now on Jake, So it should happen. Brother, Let go one. It should happen.
Speaker 13: Man.
Speaker 3: They got the right guys over there throwing getting it down the field.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you a question before you came on. What's more important, Uh, talent on a team or the coach on a team? I'm going personal, not one you because already, oh my.
Speaker 13: Goodness, Uh, to be honest with you, the leader of the team, the coach. I mean, it all starts with him, you know what I mean. So, I mean, you can have as much talent as you want. Those the four Bowl games that we went to every year, we had plenty of talent, but we only got to you know, eight wins. So if you have a coach there to set the foundation to get the right players there with the right mindset that are rolling to work, it's guy's a limit. So I think the guys at the helm, I think the guys that are supposed to be there to be the leaders to build a foundation are a little bit more important than just having talent.
Speaker 2: See, and I want to.
Speaker 3: Lean that way, but but but you guys are saying the same thing.
Speaker 4: Okay, to me, talent is the players that's going up, and that's gonna be out there gonna dominate. They always gonna win, They're gonna want to win, and all of that stuff becomes coatagious. The next guy beside me, he's gonna he's gonna feed off on that. So if I got a talented roster, those guys gonna go out there with the mentality that I'm gonna dominate.
Speaker 3: They already winning, well, they're winning automatic.
Speaker 2: Well, like I said, there's no right or wrong answer, right, And it's kind of the chicken of the egg thing which came first. But also I've seen some talented teams, but that didn't chill up.
Speaker 3: I seen the well coached team.
Speaker 13: I think it's one of those things where it's like, Okay, you can't have a good team without one or the other. But if we're like, if we're gonna, you know, start a program, the foundation is going to be the coach who he brings in, you know, the attitude, the work ethic, all that stuff. I've seen some talented guys that are just out of nowhere, like they just flop, and it really just annoys because I'm like, I wasn't given all the guy getting the talent that this guy has, but I'm ahead of him. On the up chart, and then all of a sudden, after you know, halfway through a sophomore year, he transfers out and he never plays again. Like, that's the type of stuff that I saw when I was at the o Van. It really annoyed the hell out of me.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm sure you did too, Yeah, yeah, it goes with the territory. Yeah, hey, Jake, you probably ran one on out with your with your level play, right?
Speaker 13: Is that again?
Speaker 3: Who who was the linebackers when you was playing there?
Speaker 13: Bro? Oh shoot? My freshman year, I didn't have to do anything because we had a we had uh Sterlow, we had X and we had Vuna. And then my sophomore year it was me, Paul the solo and Derek Earls. And then junior year it was me and just a caroustyle of other people because everyone was getting injured and we were all beat up. And and then my senior year Stoovie was a freshman and then there was Marquise next to me.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, now what kind of front did you guys run?
Speaker 13: Oh? Well, we ran a four front with Stoops and then we ran a three three five with rich Rod, and my junior year with the three because we did not have the horses up front. I was getting hit at, you know, at least two or three times every damn play and I was only like two five playing against that linebacker.
Speaker 3: Safety.
Speaker 13: We had bigger guys, you know, they came back from injury from the last year and they were rock solids. So Senior was much more you know, it was a lot easier per se than it was Junior.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Jake, thanks for joining us. This is fun.
Speaker 13: Thank you all right, Jakeley, Thank you guys to stop.
Speaker 2: Ye Jake Fisher. We got a run a little late, so let's go and come back. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now, take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: Hi, this is formal while get leman huntly with Arizona Health, imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space and your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multigms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set.
Speaker 14: You up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment. What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash someday. Steve Rivera and.
Speaker 1: Jay Gon Salez they have their eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Die yet, Fox Sports fourteen fifty streaming live.
Speaker 5: I mean, iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Wham Hey, welcome back to I and the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera in with me Today's lamon Hunley with Juan as well for fifteen more minutes.
Speaker 3: At least in this hour.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna give you. I'm gonna give you a new job titleed them.
Speaker 3: Up, your your dragon paid.
Speaker 2: You will get no not with me, of course, but you're you're no longer a business owner. You are the new ad at the University of Arizona. How would you? And basketball doesn't need to be fixed. It has a love affair with a lot of fifteen thousand people going there to watch whatever and then, and they do a good job of it right and have for Tommy for a while. Now, how would you fix the fan I'll say fan problem in Tucson because there I'm sure in the good years when they won, they showed up. But but it's more than that. You need them all the time. How are you going to fix that? You're the new a D What what's the secret?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I think it goes back as far as before you got here, probably, yeah, go back. Well when I got here, I mean, I think the stadium was pretty packed.
Speaker 4: But but but if I reminisce in the stadium, I can recall there was a certain section of the stadium that was the north end zone, which is you know where the practice field the actual locker rooms are right now. It was aluminum seat that was there in the north end zone. And that area was in my time, was called the not hole.
Speaker 2: So I thought that was the south side.
Speaker 3: They had it on the north side before before the movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, I didn't know.
Speaker 4: So that area was recognized. It's a nothole section. And and we as as a as a as a team, we always practiced in the north inZone, warmed up in the northenzo and linebackers particularly with being in the offen zone. And I can recall, I mean, you know, hundreds of kids out there yelling and screaming because they want to be a part of you, They want to touch you, give, give, give whatever you got back in that day, I couldn't give you nothing, you know. They was giving me nothing to keep everything ahead. So but anyway, what I'm going at is that you had these kids that that that picture, that image was rooted in their mind, that that they basically wanted to be a part of this, okay. And the only way those kids could be a part of this naturally their parents had to bring them there.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: So some kind of way back in the day, they got these type of kids there. So if I'm coming forward, I would say, as an a d I would go to communities and find families that maybe had one or two, three, four or five kids, doesn't matter, and get those kids back in that in that stadium. They packed that stadium with these young kids. And then I'm not saying is going to happen this year or the next year, but future years, those kids are gonna become adults, you know, and those kids are basically becoming wildcats. Fans sell the experience, give it, sell it to them, and then they're gonna sell it to their parents and give it to their kids.
Speaker 3: But they have kids.
Speaker 2: The one thing, the one thing that I think is the kids. And you can you can say, what do you want to say? The kids don't have the money. It's not in their pocket, so they're gonna maybe buy a hot dog if they have I don't know have hot dogs costs anymore? In that building. They ain't gonna buy a beer, right, there are bouts of nachos or whatever. So they'll spend somebody that way if they can afford it. So, so that's been gone like twenty some years. I would assume, okay, okay, at least you have butts in the seats, right, and maybe a fan, maybe a parent or two.
Speaker 4: But I'm not looking just butts in the seats for this year if I'm the ad right, oh okay, I'm looking at butts in the seats for extended years because it has to become a tageous a cultural thing for each community. I mean, a lot of kids, a lot of families that's in Tucson, stay in Tucson, you know, so they have babies, you know, and they have kids, you know.
Speaker 3: So now I'm talking about, well, you got three four generations.
Speaker 4: Walking into the stadiums that's buying tickets, right or to come into your stadium.
Speaker 2: Well, let me go there, because we have somebody in the room who's a generational guy. You right, you're your guy so we know that Tucson is is a transitory place. People come from all over I hope that's right, from Iowa, from uh So they come here. They have no attachment to the school because they didn't govern here. They're from somewhere else and they work for Rayta and they went to some of the school. I don't want to go the game. I can watch my team on TV. But you one, you have your you're born and raised here, you love the sports. In your family and maybe extended family, How many go and do they have that love fair love affair.
Speaker 15: For the most part, it's just me and my immediate family that've been going for years, but especially with this last year, with us being so success, we were able to get extra tickets and give it to extended family and they fell in love with it. You know, have little cousins now that way outside of the locker room waiting for t Mac, waiting for Plafeita.
Speaker 2: So that's to your point.
Speaker 15: And so it translated into this year where they have tickets now they're ready to go for this year.
Speaker 2: There you are, I mean there, it's a it's a little point, but it's a big point.
Speaker 3: And how many families like one's family this year in Tucson.
Speaker 4: That basically can do the same thing and give that same experience, you know, to their kids or their cousins, their nephews.
Speaker 2: So do you think the target market is maybe a little skew their target market?
Speaker 4: Well, I can't say it's skew because they got to chase the dollars. I mean, you have to go out of the dollars, but you got to kind of figure out some kind of way you know, of getting you know, again, these families that want to be there and encourage them to have experience they haven't had that experience, and give them an opportunity to be there, so it could become a and and and and maybe this year had happened and I first got here, I don't know, and the stadium could be full at this point. But it does I think it, you know, And I said this earlier. It reminds me of the teams or the schools that's been doing this for a year, the Gods, the Floridas, the Alabamas, the schools in the SECS and North Carolina's. I mean, those schools may got families that's been coming for generations and that games, you know, and and you know, and I understand, we got we we do have a community that's probably got more higher state and you know, Michigan people fans here than Arizona fans, you know, and those are people that can write that check. But let's get these fans that maybe can't write the check now, but in future they can't.
Speaker 2: I think I totally agree with you. I mean, it'll help. The one thing that solves a lot of issues. Gonna win.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's contagious, but but you know what that look kid who's sinning out at the end of the game waiting for TMAC for for fear and all these kids to come to them, You you really care that they care about if they won or lost the game. No, they cares about that. I got to see T Mac, I got to touch t Mac.
Speaker 3: I got to carry this. This is kid, I mean, he's a businessman here in town.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: It is named Ben Ben Fernandez. And Ben was one of those not host kids when I was.
Speaker 2: In school here.
Speaker 3: He was one of those kids would come up.
Speaker 4: To Ricky and I and and other guys and let me carry your helmet, let me put your shoulder pass on, let me because at that time we'll walk from the stadium into Michel and he'll walk with us into Michale to our locker room because he had the opportunity to put our ham and on, put that uniform on, and and that kid he has kids that he has introduced us to at this point. So it's that type of lifetime experience that he enjoyed. It wasn't about the wins and the losses. It was about that experience and having that opportunity.
Speaker 2: That's putty what you would you you like that as a twelve year old when you started watching.
Speaker 15: Like way for yeah, oh yeah, yeah, I was. I was like, I was a kid that liked to rush the field. I did that my first year when I went. So it was it's those type of experiences that you it's a kid, You're like, wow, that was fun, Let's do it again. And I've been I've tried to sell that to my family for years now. Arizona hold up the end of the bargain until this year. You know, they got the rest.
Speaker 2: Ofhill three times and well they they felt excellent. I don't know how your your job. I know your business obviously, Uh it's core. Is it more corporate? Is it local. Yeah, this is local and you sell the locals, right or whatever. So this this this place, the University of Arizona. I'm not gonna speak. I'm out of turn here. I'm on this show. So it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 3: What do I know.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's changed, it's changed in the last fifteen years. It went from a cozy place under Live and good and and and uh the previous ad got I don't know why. I can't no no no, that he was after Greg kind of turned it into a corporate type of thing. It was business business because they had to get money, but it was under life, but it was it was a it was a family kind of bring you in and central Dempsey got help me. And those maybe have been the good old days and maybe maybe maybe r f D. You know what it was. It was Opie and Andy and it was and now it's it's corporate and you gotta do this. And that was the landscape of the whole but you don't have to go there completely.
Speaker 4: But that was the landscape of the whole country. Though I mean, well you don't. I don't think anything changed. It just got bigger across the landscape.
Speaker 2: But to your point, it's got to become more family.
Speaker 4: I agree with that, but but there's the family is still there, but they but they have to still chase that dolls.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's your problem. Yeah, you're chasing chasing, You're going to eliminate some family, you know. I mean the good thing is at least I mean when when it comes to family. You do see that when it comes to the players and the coaches and things like that, for sure. And you know the point that you was making earlier one in regards to going and see these kids and being able to touch them. They make themselves, you know, available, They make themselves. I think they make themselves more available now than ever before, as they should as well.
Speaker 4: Not only should, but they want to because you know, this is the social media stuff and that they want.
Speaker 3: So they are. I mean, they're more available than I think than ever before. In the parents.
Speaker 2: I know, we've talked about this before and I brought the n Do you like it?
Speaker 5: Not like it?
Speaker 3: You have to live with it.
Speaker 4: I don't like it, but I deal with it because I mean, first or foremost, it is something that that the kids need. It need to be managed better than still than what it is this time with sure and who knows that that's going to take place or not, because it is wild wild West. In regards to you, I mean, you got all different people or elements are chasing after these kids, and you know, letting the kids know how good and great they are. And maybe some of them not good and great, but you instilled you can get all this money over here and let me do it for you whatever the.
Speaker 3: Situation may be.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: And I'm not opposed at all as far as a kid going out there and selling his lackness.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's up to the university to sell that kid's lackness.
Speaker 2: I think it's up to the kids, right, And that originally that was the idea, wasn't this posed it? And not anymore, not anymore.
Speaker 4: You know, and and and you know, and there are some kids that's that's here. This university is doing a great job, you know. And and and you're gonna see those are gonna be our leaders tomorrow.
Speaker 2: So you kind of joked that you kept your stuff your your hand, your hands, your straps because they didn't give you much, right was I'm sure there was a time or two when you worked your ass off in eighty three, eighty four whatever you got here, you're thinking, God, I wish I could dream of making some money because I don't have enough money to do whatever you wanted to do. Right, did you think about it?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yeah, I mean you always think about ways of you know, well, it was it was different levels as far as you know that you need money for this, this and that, and you know, from gas to food to whoever. Sure, sure, you know, I mean that's not issues for these kids in the world. No, and you know, and then you know, you you you had the opportunity maybe to have a summer job and things like that. The kids don't do that, no work, right, you know, they basically go to summer school and get paid for summer school. But you know, again, you know, I'm not mad at them. I want if I was in those shoes, in their shoes, I'll try to get everything I could get to and who knows, maybe I'd be a million dollars.
Speaker 2: You know, you maybe half amilion, your brother maybe a million dollar. Guys.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's in the family.
Speaker 2: You're born. You're born forty years too late.
Speaker 4: That's right, And you know that's the way we got to look at it. It's boring, too late. And let those get in there. Those that can get it, keep on getting it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bless and you're a business where you know you have revenue and you have expenses. Arizona is in debt for X amount of whatever. Now every school has to pay twenty one twenty men. Where do you find that if you don't have.
Speaker 4: It, well, I guess there's a some goal underneath these underneath this desert somewhere. They have no idea where they're gonna.
Speaker 2: So you want to resign in the job I just gave you as the a D I'm done.
Speaker 3: I'm done. But you know what, But but obviously that money is somewhere to be found. That's gonna have to it has to be otherwise they closing. I mean they can closure. It's the game down. They're gonna close sports down right.
Speaker 4: So obviously, I mean when they when they got into this thing, they have some kind of idea.
Speaker 3: Not only the University Arizona, but.
Speaker 4: The n C two A and whoever institute the instituted this rule. As far as what's gotta be, obviously there is a game plan, you know. So you know, again, you got some smart guys up in that in that tower. They're telling you this is the format we're gonna follow. There has to be a game plan in order to make it out.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny because I think you know him, Coach Bush of smart dude, smart man, uh, and he thinks maybe eventually that the NCAA ends, it goes bankrupt and they have to start over with some kind of semblance of order. Because you're right, it's it has continues to be the wild, wild West, and the plans they have, no one knows what those are exactly.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, when you first throw it out there, you know, pack of wolves to chase after, and that's what took place, and everybody's just on that same bone. And the ones that get there first is the ones that's going to really benefit from it and stuff. And maybe that's that has to be the case. Let's just break this thing up, and hell, I mean, maybe the conferences to do their own things right, you know, and run their home. But you just gotta again, you have to have somebody there in regards to you know, have some kind of guidance on the compliance and things.
Speaker 3: So you know, maybe that could be your.
Speaker 2: I'm too old to do with that stuff. Okay, we're gonna call the first hour now and then come back with breaking news, and then we're gonna have a special guest on the other side.