Speaker 1: Day nine to eleven, two thousand Year of Our Lord, twenty twenty five. My name is Tom Sullivan, and this is Part two today. I wanted to spend some time on the police looking for the killer of Charlie Kirk. We did that in part one of today's podcast, and on part two. I always want to look back on nine to eleven. I know it's been twenty four years. I know there's a lot of people that are not old enough to remember. I was thinking about Charlie Kirk in the fact that he was thirty one, and so if nine to eleven was twenty four years ago, he was seven years old. I doubt that he has had a recollection, as most seven seven year olds are not going to be paying attention to things like that. So if you're in Charlie was thirty one, so if you're thirty five, thirty four and younger, you probably do not remember what was going on on nine to eleven. In fact, there's a lady who's the president of the nine to eleven Museum that was talking a little bit about that earlier.
Speaker 2: Today, we find so many people alive today who visit us can't remember nine to eleven themselves. One hundred million Americans are too young to remember nine to eleven. For them, they need to encounter the history and hear from others in order to understand what happened. It's recognizing the lives and what was lost that day.
Speaker 1: Wow, she said one hundred million, that's like one third of our country. I guess that makes sense after twenty four years. I have to admit that I am a softy when it comes to everything about studying nine to eleven and reliving some of the things that happened that day. I'll never forget that day. I think all of us that were old enough will remember exactly where we were, what we're doing when we heard about the attack on our country. That whole day, it just kept that you just didn't know what was going to happen next. But I mean, I go back, We've gone to Hawaii to and go out of our way to make sure and go over to the Pearl Harbor Museum and all of that. So I mean it's maybe I'm just a museum and history nut, but if you're in New York, the museum is a must see. And even if you don't have time with the museum, you can go down to where the the plaza is down there. I was looking at the plaza earlier today from an aerial shot, and I remember when they planted all the trees down there by the two fountains that mark the footprint of the two buildings, and they were just they were just little sticks, like new trees are. They are so full the complete canopy of shade over the plaza there by the memorial. So it's a beautiful place worth going to go see. One of the items of note today because of Charlie Kirk's assassination yesterday, the Vice President Jeddie Vance and his wife were supposed to be at the nine to eleven ceremony this morning, and it was kind of the usual group. In fact, you know, Rudy Julie Yanni is getting up in age and he, I don't know, he looked really old today. He was there, and of course Mike Bloomberg was there, and so was Zorin Mamdani. Yeah, he was mixing it up with all the old school New York politicians down there.
Speaker 3: So it was.
Speaker 1: A very somber event again where they read the names of all the people that died and the number by the way of the people that died at in New York on nine to eleven on this day two thousand, nine hundred and seventy seven, just under three thousand. You know, how many people have died from nine to eleven illnesses three thousand, seven hundred and sixty seven. And that number is still growing. They have something like four eight thousand people that have been had cancers that the doctors certified were from their exposure to the pile down Lower Manhattan back in two thousand and one. So it's more people. Many more people now have died from the illnesses of trying to go into that building and clean things up and originally try to look for somebody that was alive. Many more have died from that than they did on that particular day. General Jack Keene weighed in. He was active duty military at the time, and this is his observation of what we should remember on one to eleven.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, I mean, it's like a wound, it doesn't heal. And it was such a tragedy for America on that day. You know, they the al Qaida strategically were trying to attack our symbols of our economic prosperity, World Trade Center, and military power at the Pentagon and the Capital, which the operation failed, the democracy itself. And we know from interrogating all of al Qaeda's top leaders that the intent was that bin Laden actually believed that succeeding at that operation and it was tactically successful, that it would force the United States to turn inward not outward, that we would be collapse into ourselves. He had people who were working for him that advised him to the contrary that no, you don't understand America. America would likely respond to come for us, and he overruled them. He was based on the fact that they took down our two embassies in Africa in ninety eight minimal response, took down the USS coal two thousand, no response. He thought, based on that he could have his way, and it led to what it led to the strategic value of al Qaeda as a global organization, not that they don't have elements that are dangerous, but they're a mere shadow of their former selves, and it woke us. We stopped thinking as terrorism as a law enforcement problem. We took it for what it really is, something Israeli has always believed. It's an act of war, and we responded in kind and dealt with them rather handily, as we should. And George Bush said it and others have said it, Since you kill Americans, we're going to be in pursuit of you for as long as it takes, and we have proven that to the American people that kind of determin issue. I think radical Islam is still out there and it's still a threat, but we learned the valuable lesson from nine to eleven that impacted our military and impacted US policies. That's transcendent presidents, and that is you cannot permit these radical Islamic movements that have aspirations to hurt us, to magically and tactically, to have a sanctuary. Afghanistan was a sanctuary. We knew they had there. We knew they had training camps there. They knew that's where they could prepare and plan and rehearse operations, and we stopped that from happening. We don't chase down radical Islam all over the world. We only chase those who have aspirations to hurt us. That was Iraq and Syria, it was in Yemen and also in Eastern Africa. They all have aspirations outside the region to hurt us. So we focused our policy on that and deny them the kind of sanctuary they need to prosper as an organization and be successful like al Qaeda was because we did not deny them that sanctuary, and we should have taken that sanctuary away after they dropped through those embassies in Africa and also damage the US. And we focus on only those who are going to hurt us. I mean, the movement is worldwide now. If people want intelligence from US or maybe some assistance in training in another movement that doesn't have aspirations that's trying to hurt their government and their people, we likely assist in some of that. But where our focuses and we're going to use military action is against those who are trying to hurt us, and as such we have kept that down. There has not been a foreign terrorist attack in this country. And that's because of the digilance that we have showed through many presidents. Rather than Democrats or Republicans, they've all agreed on that same policy. We got to stay focused on those who are trying to hurt us. We learned that lesson and it's been invaluable to us in protecting the American people. I'll tell you. One more appointment when our guys went to Afghanistan just weeks after nine to eleven and we took down the Taliban very quickly. I'll never forget talking to the special force of soldiers who did it, and also the pilots who flew them in dealing with the Northern Alliance. We had spent a decade helping other people in Panama and Desert Storm, liberating Kuwait, Basia, Herschelglovina, Samaya Haiti. You were porting on all of this. In Afghanistan, it was different. The soldiers just willingly confronted me and said, so, this is about the American people. This is about taking care of our people. They always had high morale conducting operations, but their determination and they resolved and their commitment was really something special.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Jack Keene was four star general at the time and very much in charge of the military move that we made. I apologize for a little bit of the You could hear somebody speaking in the background. It was some of the speeches that were taking place at the Plaza nine to eleven Plaza. Well, Jack Keane was speaking. So again I go back and I go down a rabbit hole every year about everything regarding nine to eleven, and I thought I would play this for you. It is is it excerpts from the news of the day from the people that I worked with over at Fox. They were on the scene reporting as everybody was on that day. And if you want to transport yourself back to this day twenty four years ago, I'll play this for you. And if anything will do it, this will do it.
Speaker 5: This is ten ten weeks.
Speaker 6: You give us twenty two minutes, we'll give you the world.
Speaker 7: Good morning, sixty four degree is at eight o'clock.
Speaker 8: It's Tuesday, September eleventh.
Speaker 4: Time, Lee Harris.
Speaker 5: Here's what's happening. It's primary day and the polls.
Speaker 9: Are open in New York City.
Speaker 4: Voters are deciding among about two hundred and fifty candidates for mayor, city council and assorted other positions.
Speaker 9: American eleven five maintain a level three five zero, American eleven most American eleven. If you here Boston Center, right DN Is it that American eleven trying to call that into the air board? A fifteenth double the Pona going to Hampton climbing and on American eleven are you trying to call everything?
Speaker 10: Was litkay, it's nice to make it anymore. But then on the airplane that's say tied.
Speaker 11: Hey thirty eight y if you guys heard anything from American No, okay, we think there might be somebody in the cart berry now taking it over.
Speaker 5: We have a hijacked aircraft headed towards New York.
Speaker 10: So we need someone to scramble semmes sixteens or something up there.
Speaker 9: Help us out.
Speaker 10: This is this real world or exercise?
Speaker 9: No, this is not an exercise manifest.
Speaker 12: So I noticed on battle station yea does the tensrist with an active air that scrambled for word stanta four or five for six time one two or six authentic? Say just an X ray scramble immediately, Hey.
Speaker 6: Drake on American eleven seven fifty seven foxible hijack or do you believe.
Speaker 10: He's of the descent?
Speaker 13: Come hold the world, Frank. It was a music closure.
Speaker 10: And every available an everything.
Speaker 14: Now we have a very tragic alert for you right now. An incredible plane crash into the World Trade Center here at the lower tip of Manhattan.
Speaker 15: It's believe the seven thirty seven is crashed into this speculation at this point, but at least three floors taken out crashed into the side of the building joining us right now.
Speaker 5: One of the producers with Fox Report, Owen Morgan, on the scene. Owen, what do you know? What do you see?
Speaker 11: Where are you Ryan, I'm on the roof of my building, which is about five blocks to the south of the World Trades that are.
Speaker 6: I'm looking.
Speaker 11: I'm looking right now at the World Trades that are. There's a massive gaping hole on the second tower. It's about fifteen stories from the roof. It's it's just unbelievable to look at it.
Speaker 5: It looks like something out of a movie.
Speaker 16: There is a huge hole in the side of Tower number one.
Speaker 13: I just did not believe this is.
Speaker 17: Happening on fire.
Speaker 11: It looks like a plane was a stamming forster blooming so look like it was a Parnel All law unit.
Speaker 13: Every oh God, to this position, I'm all said.
Speaker 11: You can see u lurgency vehicles carrying to the south and the west side.
Speaker 5: Highway heading towards the team.
Speaker 10: Uh. There are tons of people in the streets.
Speaker 11: There, there are papers, things fluttering out. I can't see any evidence of what it.
Speaker 17: Was that could have crashed.
Speaker 11: Well I can see is that this is massive keeping in the hole with bunds of blacksworths flowing out, falling out of the dooring.
Speaker 10: We have several in did people on Watch Street here.
Speaker 18: Even more number one zero six, numerous people trapped one number one little thing of course, the vision one, the advised Italians two Advadi have jumpers.
Speaker 10: Plumb the roll twice center.
Speaker 13: Okay, oh my god.
Speaker 16: The plane obviously went in on one side and came out the other.
Speaker 5: There's debris all over then.
Speaker 16: Exactly, and as you can see, it affects perhaps ten floors of the World Trade Center building. It is over one hundred stories tall. This time of morning is when people pour into that building and it's usually next to full. We got to also remember this is near the financial district on the tip of Manhattan.
Speaker 5: There are so many people at.
Speaker 16: This hour who are in that neighborhood that got all the police and the fire department and the emergency technicians.
Speaker 5: Are headed to that area. This is horrible.
Speaker 15: All we can do is stare aghast at these pictures. At this point you are looking at the north building of the twin Towers of the World Trade Center in Manhattan. These are coming to you live now. Debris raining down from one hundred and ten floors up. As you can see, this is a clear blue sky day in Manhattan. If this was an accident, it would be a needle in a haystack kind of accident. Our Wendell Goler is traveling with the President John the President is here promoting a reading initiative on the second day of a two day trip to Florida.
Speaker 10: Anyone's seventy five. Recircle your transferer squore code of one four to seven zero.
Speaker 6: You know it.
Speaker 10: One's seventy five New York? You know anyone's seventy five? Do you read New York. I can't get a hold of the United one seventy five at all right now, And I don't know where you went to.
Speaker 12: Can you see God about four thousand feet about five ye field right now? All looks like he's yeah, I damn you think that look?
Speaker 6: Is he the same for the building?
Speaker 19: Also?
Speaker 10: Is it ending really quick too?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Well that's five.
Speaker 13: Hundred feet now.
Speaker 12: I just ad top eight hundred feet like one three?
Speaker 15: Yes, there was another one. We just saw. We just saw another one. We just saw another one apparently go another plane just flew into the second tower.
Speaker 10: I mean stakes.
Speaker 18: Advising a second plane didn't put the world fight, then okay, no planet and all day.
Speaker 5: This has to be deliberate.
Speaker 15: Folks, we just saw on live television as a second plane flew into the second tower of the World Trade Center. Now, given what has been going on around the world, some of the some of the key suspects come to mind. Osama bin Laden, Eric Sean is with us.
Speaker 8: First, I apologize for being out of breath because I was walking down Fifth Avenue, which is close to our studios, and I heard a jet flying low, unusually low, over Fifth Avenue and it made a right toward the towards the building.
Speaker 5: This is clearly deliberate.
Speaker 8: Chilling, chilling, horrible scene that we just saw. I think is attack not just in the World Trade Center, but at the very soul, in the very heart of our nation.
Speaker 20: John.
Speaker 5: It is a tragedy. It is abhorrent, It is disgusting.
Speaker 8: Obviously, it takes a lot of training and expertise to fly a complicated, sophisticated aircraft. These are not little sasna's and little pipers, So there is you have to wonder what was going on in the cockpit.
Speaker 15: Let's bring in David Lee Miller our correspondent, David Lee, what can you tell us?
Speaker 7: Good morning, John. I'm a few blocks in the World Trade Center right now. As you would expect, all the roadways are pretty much cut off. The only way to get near the buildings is on foot. Right now, the scene is absolutely a horrific one. You have people streaming out of the area. You've got people literally in tears and shot.
Speaker 15: Harvey Kushner is on the line with us. He's a frequent guest of ours and a terrorism expert. Harvey, is it too early to speculate it that.
Speaker 21: You look outside the Fox studios?
Speaker 9: Look how clear it is?
Speaker 21: I mean, how could you miss the trade towers? Not just one, but two planes. No matter how this turns out, Oh, this is going to be a day that's going to live in infamy, and you know it's going to cause changes in terms of security like this country hasn't ever seen before.
Speaker 15: Let me bring into the conversation, David Asman, my colleague, Yes, John, David, what can you tell Let's just want to give you some late breaking information. All of Manhattan has been sealed off. The Hudson River bridges and the tunnels have been sealed so Manhattan is in a lockdown. One can only guess that the US Armed Forces is now in a state of high alert. We are a city under siege right now, and the United States of America is is warding off any further terrorist threats on the city of Manhattan.
Speaker 13: The city is closed. We cannot leave the city.
Speaker 10: United ninety three.
Speaker 6: United send three Patterson have been now with then I just say, it looks like you descended there, and I said, you're not. In ninety three three thousand, get out of ninety three birfire in platable three five zero of good added ninety three equivalent yet added ninety three Cleveland Center.
Speaker 15: I dad, please, President Bush is about to speak. He's in Florida. That was what was supposed to be a joyous event at an elementary school. Let's listen in today, we've had a national tragedy.
Speaker 22: Two airplanes have crashed into the World Trade Center in an apparent terrorist attack on our country. I have spoken to the Vice President, to the Governor of New York, to the director of the FBI, and I've ordered that the full resources of the federal government go to help the victims and their families and to conduct a full scale investigation to hunt down and to find those folks who committed this act terrorism against our nation will not stand. And now if you join me in a moment of silence, May God bless the victims their families in America.
Speaker 9: Thank you very much.
Speaker 15: You just got to wonder what reaction happens next. Let's find out from a former special agent of the FBI. This is Joseph Kantemsa, and the federal government simply shut down the airspace and keep all airplanes on the ground.
Speaker 17: Well, of course, any legitimate aircraft can be controlled totally through the FAA and the various control centers and towers. However, a hijacked aircraft that is under control of.
Speaker 15: I want to interrupt you for just a minute. The White House is being evacuated. That comes to us from one of our Fox producers in Washington. The White House is being evacuated the Pentagon as well.
Speaker 13: Everybody back, everybody best, let's go.
Speaker 15: Mm hmm.
Speaker 11: Any unit responding to check the area the Pentagon advice on Channel one coming from that.
Speaker 17: Area high and.
Speaker 15: I don't want to incite any undue panic, but there is a report, a report only of another aircraft that has crashed David Asman is joining us from Fox Central.
Speaker 5: David, what do you have John?
Speaker 23: We are hearing right now another explosion that has taken place at the Pentagon. We have the heart of the financial district of America being attacked. Now we understand that there is an explosion. There has been an explosion in the Pentagon, the heart of the military command center of the United States of America.
Speaker 15: John, it can't get much worse than this. Let's hope it has happened again. Another large airliner, perhaps hijacked, perhaps part of some widespread plan, apparently slamming into at least the area around the Pentagon.
Speaker 11: I got them like a.
Speaker 17: Quebecable god to a half hours demands man Quiet Church.
Speaker 6: United ninety three callings ca Nighted ninety three understand of a bomb on board to her head, We like to nine fifty sick. Did you understand that transmission? Hey for a loan the pizza that the bomb on board All of the easterns of the beach just turned to the east, also United ninety three to hear Cleveland Senate, were just lots of target on that aircraft.
Speaker 15: We now understand that the Federal Aviation Administration is shutting down all airport airline takeoffs nationwide. Planes that are in the air right now are going to be diverted to the closest airport as soon as possible, because in a situation like this, the authorities don't know where the next one might come from.
Speaker 19: Age game is original lab one of the tollways throw to the Majors losion and what appears to be a complete collapse around the Manatire area.
Speaker 7: There is an Asian collab to the tower to commute.
Speaker 13: I say it about here, it's available. Oh my god, it's been a huge explosion.
Speaker 10: Everyone's running in the other direction.
Speaker 12: Thing did it?
Speaker 24: We're on We're on Church Street. We're not sure what happened. There's been a huge explosion. Everyone's running for their lives literally, police media. I see a woman pushing a baby carriage. It's unclear what happened, if if the tower collapsed or what. But I think we better get out of this mess, dude, I think we better get out of this. Here comes the smoke.
Speaker 13: Jus.
Speaker 10: Well, you know it's on the way and it's a sign take stop. I have charge and fire men.
Speaker 5: We have medical emergencies, losful heart attack.
Speaker 13: Where we this week, which way to go? Just stay quick, stay.
Speaker 25: Quick's yea, everyone is like covered, thousands of people down right now.
Speaker 5: David Lee Miller is uh is still with us, David, What can you tell us?
Speaker 20: John?
Speaker 13: The scene is horrific.
Speaker 20: One of the two hours literally collapsed. There's uh debris falling. People within the entire perimeter. Began literally myself. That's why I'm out of rest to run for our lives.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, yeah, forgot stop.
Speaker 15: It appears that the building simply collapsed of its own weight. That there was so much damage from the heat of the fire, the steel will melt. That was the building that was hit by the second plane. That plane seemed to come in at a lower altitude. It hit the building lower down, and there was that tremendous fireball. So the damage to the building came at a point where there is much more weight on top of it, and those steel girders, strong as they are, had a lot of weight to support. And apparently I'm just I'm not a structural engineer, but I'm just guessing now that they gave way, the loss of life here is going to be enormous.
Speaker 8: May I'd help those who are there and the victims and their families and old the souls that are lost today.
Speaker 15: Rick Leventhal once again with our producer Carlos van Meek, is in Lower Manhattan. You cannot even see the sky there because of the soot, the ash, the crumbled concrete that is continuing to rain down.
Speaker 13: This is Church Street. It looks like a snowstorm hit. There's thick ash on the ground, lots of it. Pandemonium here.
Speaker 3: How you doing, sir? A little shoved up. I went through Tet Vietnam, and I never seen anything like this. It's unbelievable. How close were you to the building? When I was in front of the door of five World Trades and evacuating the people out of the building, and we got a lot out and then it just blew. You couldn't move because you couldn't see. It was ash and smoked. I couldn't see because my eyes and my mouth were full. Because as soon as we heard the explosion, we ran out of New York State Supreme Court, jumped on a jury bus.
Speaker 13: Speck it up.
Speaker 17: All right.
Speaker 13: Here we go again, Here we go again. I don't know what's going on, but this the second building is collapsing. I believe, oh.
Speaker 10: Freees a collapse?
Speaker 8: Do I only gon logic?
Speaker 10: The world stripe collapse only to us collapse.
Speaker 5: It is hard to describe, folks.
Speaker 15: The pictures show what has happened in Lower Manhattan, but we don't have a handle yet on the devastation.
Speaker 5: The World Trade Center has collapsed, and.
Speaker 15: The casualty figure we cannot even begin to guess at at this point, United.
Speaker 9: Ninety three, have you got information on that?
Speaker 21: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Here you down?
Speaker 5: He's down?
Speaker 15: Why did he land?
Speaker 12: Because the donation did not land?
Speaker 18: Oh?
Speaker 10: He down.
Speaker 15: Authorities at the Somerset County Airport confirm a large plane crash about eighty miles southeast of Pittsburgh. You've got to assume that it's related to all of these goings on.
Speaker 22: Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended. Make no mistake, The United States will hunt down and punish those responsible for these cowardly acts.
Speaker 1: So that's to look back at nine to eleven, two thousand and one. In some way, it seems like it was just yesterday. In other ways, it seems like it was a lifetime ago. But ask they say, and it's so true. Remembering nine to eleven. Remembering the victims. Oh my gosh, this morning it was I know it's been twenty four years, but the families down at the World Trade Center program, if you will, we're holding up the photos of their loved ones like it was yesterday. So say a prayer for the families and the people that are sick from working down there, trying to find people, trying to clean up the disaster that happened twenty four years ago. Today and remember always it just never forget. Thank you for coming by today. We'll be back again tomorrow. See you then,