Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now, here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right, we're back coffee and company after an nice week off. Happy to be back with you guys here as we get set for the final college basketball game of the season, and it should be a great game that I don't know. I've said that many times throughout, but I know the chalky run we've had here in the tournament is not what a lot of people prefer. They want Cinderella, they want to be surprised, I guessed, and I get it. I just think, though, if you put yourself into my shoes, and maybe some of you are in my shoes and you agree, but if not, I just I love college basketball so much that even when I don't have a team, that I'm really gonna have a vested interest in winning or losing it, because there can be both sides of it. Meaning if it's your team, hell yeah, Like that's an insane thing, right to have your team in the final four with a chance to maybe win the whole thing. But then there's sometimes you know, the villain. The early stages of Caliperi and Lexington right, Like, we had rooting interest every year he was there, and it was such a nice payoff when they, you know, would somehow not make it to the final four or would lose to teams that you know you never expected to beat them. So I don't have any real rooting interest tonight. So I'm just hoping for a game and I feel like, looking at these two teams as it stands right now, man, this should be a phenomenal matchup. I think the one point spread in favor of Houston makes it. I'm sorry, in favor of Florida makes sense. But really nothing would shock me when it comes to who ends this game. The only thing that would really shock me is if it's like a blowout. I really don't I really don't see that happening. And I'll be honest with you, I have a hot take. If somebody gets blown out, I think it'd be Florida. I just don't think you can blow Houston out. Not because they're just insane. I mean, they are really good, but they're just like they're they're too tough. I mean, there aren't many teams that would be hanging around that late in the boxing match. If you will against Duke and still be you know, sticking to who they are and what they do and just giving themselves a sliver of hope of fighting chance. And that's exactly what they did. And I know a lot of it, understandably so has been about how to Duke collapse like that, and I get it. I mean, it's still kind of unreal to And by the way, I'll admit I fell asleep. I'd been in a car all day trying to get home and we couldn't make it home. We stopped in Bowling Green, and I'm pretty sure when I had turned off the TV to just roll over and go to bed. I mean, there wasn't really any feeling as if Duke would lose that, right, I mean, you had a sixty seven to sixty one lead with thirty seven seconds left, and I was asleep before that because I think they were down like fourteen or so under. Was it under eight? Maybe it sounds wrong, but maybe it was, because again it was a crazy, crazy collapse. But I think it had more to do with Houston than it did Duke. I really do. And I'm not here to defend Duke, because I get it. We all win when Duke loses unless you're somehow a Duke fan. Don't know how that happens unless you went to school there. But the I mean Duke not scoring other than one field goal was in the last ten minutes like that, that's probably the biggest factor than anything that this game. Like. But Houston did that right, Like, I don't think Duke was out here crumbling. You got to keep in mind, nobody would have I'm sure it was mentioned on the broadcast. I shouldn't say that nobody would have noticed it, But the crazy stat of one field goal being made in the last ten minutes for Duke. The reason that got talked about way more after the fact than it did during the game was because obviously how it finished. But that's Houston, right, Like they stuck with who they did and I still didn't think they had, you know, enough firepower to actually get it done. But they were tough and they stayed the course. They're veterans, they I mean, they're clearly very well coached, and I just think Houston's ability to stay locked in, never waiver, trust their process, trust their identity, and just give themselves a teeny tiny chance late. I mean, that was them more than I think it was Duke collapsing, because cause, if you really think about it, what was Duke's biggest mistake? I mean, Proctor missed the free throws, obviously, there was a questionable call obviously on Cooper flag that was a factor in it, the turnover on the inbounds play. So it's not like they they you know, this was just just an incredible run that Houston put together and Duke had not. Duke couldn't have done anything about it. That's not at all what I mean. But I just as we get here tonight to the game, I just wish there was a little bit more of a damn that's that's that's a Houston win because of who they are and who they're coached by with Kelvin Samson more than it is just to Duke collapse. But I understand Duke is a different animal in this sport, right, Like we want to sit back and make fun of them for collapsing and knock yourself out, I get it, But I just I always have had a lot of respect for Kelvin Samson, and I think the way his team hung in and gave themselves that chance made Duke pay for the few mistakes that they made. That's a testament to how great they are and really how great of a coach they have. I mean, let me give you a crazy and you may have already seen this, but this is in the first time they've done something like this. They were down fifty nine to forty five in that game to Duke so Yes, eight to seventeen left right before the under eight timeout. They were down that right around time I fell a sleep, they were down fifty nine to forty five, fourteen points. I mean, that's insane. They also won a game earlier this year where they were in Lawrence, Kansas and overtime they're down seventy nine to seventy three. They're down six points with eleven seconds left in overtime. They came back and one. I mean, think about this. They knocked off the postseason number one team, the Duke Blue Devils, and they knocked off the preseason ap number one team on the road in Kansas. And again, I know, the win over Kansas doesn't really seem I mean, clearly Houston was clearly better than Kansas all year. But my point is in those moments against those kind of teams, in those environments, they still stick with who they are, and I just think that's always going to keep them in games for the most part. And that's why I feel like highly unlikely we get any kind of blowout tonight, but if we do, I wouldn't be stunned if it's Houston that gets that does the blowing out just because they're not gonna hurt themselves quite enough now they just simply can't make shots and they can't stop Florida. Then maybe that's the recipe where it gets ugly the other way. But I think it's gonna be a competitive game. And I said at the beginning of the show, it really comes down to Walter Clayton Junior for me as far as why. I just think Florida's going to be able to get it done. But he's also going to be going against the defense. That there's any defense that could potentially slow him down and keep him from maybe making tough shots like he has in this tournament. Maybe even Houston would be that team. But I think he's shown his ability, meaning Walter Clayton Junior, for Florida to hit shots that like you can't defend better than some of these opponents have defended. And he's just insane. I mean he's he's that good. And Kelvin Sampson, I mean he has I mean, Houston still is criminally disrespected as a program as far as like they don't come to mind for anybody they don't like. I mean, they just to me, are they boring? I guess they're boring. I don't know. I mean they've done it more so with style and disciplined than you know, elite players. Like there's not a ton of guys in the NBA that played for Kelvin Sampson, and you know there was the knock well when they're in the American and that's why they win so many games. Two years in the Big twelve, a league that we know is great at basketball, they've won with room to spare in the regular season and now they won their conference tournament and now here they're playing for a national championship. So since he was hired in twenty fourteen, Kelvin Sampson, I mean, they have a twenty five million dollar practice facility that was built, They got a sixty million dollar arena upgrade they made. I mean his first NCAA tournament win in twenty eighteen was the first fore Houston in thirty four years. They had a school record for wins, thirty three of them in twenty nineteen. They made a final four in twenty twenty one, just four years ago, and now they're playing for a national championship. What a great run for Kelvin Sampson in Houston and a program that used to be I mean, they fell off, and they fell hard right like, I'm gonna have to look it up because I feel like they're I mean, they to me had such a long, irrelevant stretch that despite you know, being in the championship game twice in the eighties, I mean they went to three final fours in the eighties, they went to yeah, three three final fours, three late eights. I mean, they were rolling with five slam a jam obviously Clyde Drexler, the keem Olajuwan, who of course was there on site the other night, which was cool to see. But then they just they fell off so hard that I don't think they'll ever be Like they could go they could win tonight, and they could go to two more final fours in the next five years, and I still think that they won't be able to kind of, you know, really re like it's been so long since they were on a roll. And also, you know, like people don't remember that. I mean that, I mean I wasn't alive for it. I guess this is me showing how I guess big of a nerd I am for college hoops because I mean, here I am talking about Houston back in their heyday when I was I wasn't even thought of at the time. But yes, they they ended up in the eighties. They made it so in eighty four they lost in the championship game to Georgetown. The year before that they lost in the championship game to n C State. And what year did they beat in Louisville? In eighty three they beat Louisville in that final four to then go on and lose to n C State. But anyways, after that, man, it was a hard fall because in eighty seven they made the tournament, lost first round, lost in the first round in ninety ninety, in nineteen ninety two, and then they made the tournament in twenty ten. I don't remember that. Don't even know who their coach was. Would that have been? Who was their coach in twenty ten? It's drive me crazy. But anyways, they had a long fall, so they you know, they went from going to a national championship game in eighty four to not winning a tournament game until twenty eighteen, so that you know, and only making the tournament between eighty four and twenty eighteen. They only made it five times in that stretch and didn't win a game until twenty eighteen. So that's how you you know, that's how you can be a program that's right there kind of building. You know, you're starting the foundation and maybe be talked about not as a blue blood because you gotta win one. But they had some real sustainability. And I think the reason they're remembered so much more than other programs that might have had a similar run that they did for a few years is because they had a chem Olashwan and Claude Drexler like that. Those guys were. I mean, those guys were insane. And I say that as you know, watching them in the NBA, not in not in college, but I would imagine they were pretty damn good in college as well. Again, this is where I still have to Okay, twenty ten, Tom Penders was their coach. Sounds elite. Yeah, Tom Penders was there for six years and you know he's a forgetable coach because obviously you know they didn't win enough. But Kelvin Sampson, a guy who was you know, show caused, kicked out of college basketball for something insanely stupid talk about a bounce back, and I don't know how you can't not respect him like the guy. I mean, he coaches his players hard. Like this is another thing that I feel like I'm turning into an old man, and I think you can. Actually, I think it matters way more now than it ever has that maybe it's just more evident. It's more visible when you watch, not that I'm an expert in reading body language, but when you follow it close enough, and you know, you listen to some of the press conferences. And I'm not acting like I'm out here seeking out every postgame press conference, but because you can go wherever you want now, and yes, you can make money when you have the option, you have the freedom. Players have all the power now, Right, You're going to choose to play for a guy that you like, that you you know, you really really relate to, and yeah, the money's got to be great. But if the money's similar everywhere, what are you gonna do. You're gonna pick the coach that you like playing for, and I think you're seeing that with teams as they make deeper runs. These guys they had, they had the choice right in the old days. I mean, Rick Patino had some guys signed with Lowell then he met once. But but you know, he's Rick Patino, so they should just be honored that he even you know, knew who they were. I mean, there were guys who were elite level recruits that have publicly said that they didn't commit to the Louis because they didn't get recruited bout Rick. They got recruited by Steve Massiello or you know, Willard. And no offense to those guys, but like it used to be to where once we got you, we can break you down and build you up. Because you can't leave, I guess you can, but you know, good luck leaving, because you're gonna have to sit out your damaged goods because a lot of guys who entered the portal that it wasn't because of injury reasons. They were not passed on. But like you know, you're gonna not only would you have to set out a program, would have to waste a scholarship on you and not play you for a year. A lot of coaches just said, no, I'm not doing that. I don't even know if the guy's gonna be any good. I'm gonna use that scholarship for a player that like can help me at some point. So because players have all the power to do whatever they want, I think it's starting to really hit me. You know, again this is corny, but like I enjoy the product of college basketball in a in a bigger way in this new world for a variety of reasons. One of them is that, like you know, like I can tell as somebody who you know played basketball growing up, and you know what I miss more than anything about it is the camaraderie, right, Like the experience being on a team, being held accountable, all that stuff, and when you see that, like you know, Louisville was a great example of that this year. These guys clearly came together like a family, and again corny alert, but like you could see it play out, like you could see it in every aspect of this program, including Pat Kelsey something I didn't even talk about him showing up and he was gonna beat the fine for anyway, But like the Louisville Managers won the national championship among programs that have managers that have a team, and it's really competitive. By the way, a lot of these guys who play in this, not all of them, but a lot of them were really really good high school players that just knew that, like their future wasn't going to be high level college basketball. So their first chance to get a foot in the door is to enroll at a program at a school that has a high level program, become a student manager, potentially work your way up that kind of stuff. So a lot of these guys can play. But like Pat Kelsey being their front row and Rain Smith live streaming and on his phone and giving commentary, like supporting those guys the managers, gassing them up after big plays. Like if that doesn't speak to a culture, sure shift around here. I don't know what does I mean? Again, I don't want to act like Pat made some crazy cross the world trip to go see these guys, but like he could be mingling networking at the Final four, which I'm sure he did a lot of that, but he took his he took his son Johnny ball game to go watch the managers play and compete, and like, I just think that's that's cool. I mean again, I just think you're gonna see which coaches can truly can truly build a culture or sustain a good culture, because that matters in a major way now. And I think sometimes you'll see guys leaving and you're thinking, Okay, well why they leave the why would they leave? They have a prominent role here, We're a pretty good program, Their money was pretty good at least we thought it was. Who knows why they're leaving, will never know unless they tell us directly. But I just think when you've got the option to go anywhere you want at any time, some say, well they're quitting. They're running from they're running from being held Accountabley're running from discipline. They think they're not playing because the coaches against them, So they're just gonna jump jump around from school to school for four years. You may be right about all those things, but they should have the ability to make their own decisions, and some will make decisions that they regret when it comes to the portal. But I think also, you know, you got chances to find your fit, and there's no better example of them than what we have tonight in the championship game. Walter Clayton Junior started at IONA. There's other guys on this trail. I mean, heck, the other guard for Florida whose name is escaping Me, he started at FAU and clearly they had to run to the final four as well. But you look at Houston, they've got LJ. Cryer of course, a big transfer in transfer from Baylor, which, by the way, if he wins tonight or they win Houston, Cryer will become the first guy to ever win a national championship with two different programs. Which that's one of those things that it used to not even be like really possible. Right now, it may be something that in ten years you see multiple guys that are able to do that. Just because of the new world that we're in Houston. I mean, Kevin Simpson built his roster with you know, dudes whose best offer was you know TCU or you know I think I read something about one of the guys. It came down to VMI and then Houston offered late and now he's starting for Houston. I mean, it's just a different world. And I think again, if you're a nerd for it, like me. I don't know how you'd argue this isn't a better way to experience college basketball. The downside would be you don't get a chance to, you know, have that four year run where you get to see a guy grow up from eighteen to twenty two, the ups and downs, and they become legends because they were here four years and maybe won a national championship. Guys like Peyton Siva Yeh, Russ Smith.
Speaker 3: You don't hear that story about Peyton CVN his dad and Russ Smith's getting told to get off the team at one point.
Speaker 2: We wouldn't have that team in this world. We just wouldn't. Like I'm not here to say that those guys would have for sure left because because we don't know, they don't know, we'll never know. But like the way Rick did it then was the way it was done, and like that's just not that's really not shouldn't it's not possible anymore, but it's insanely unlikely. So again, like here's the way I've balanced as a Louisville fan. I'll always remember that group in fact, because of what I'm so fortunate to be able to do. Like I know a few of those guys pretty well, and I love them. I'm sure they don't feel the same about me, but like I you know, I can tell how much they've valued their experience at Louisville, loved this community. I mean, like they knew who was following along at the time they were on their run and whatnot. And you know, I cherish that right like you know, whenever I whenever I'm around my nephew and my son. He gets a little bit more now that he's older. But like when we see Russ Smith and Russ Smith and Payton Siva, like those guys know who I am, you know, not to say that they consider me like a friend or anything, but like I know them, and you know they think that's cool as hell. Like the fact that I have that is great. And it's because those guys they were here for a long time, were kind of similar in age. So that is sad that like that really is not realistic anymore to see that kind of thing all come together. And I don't mean me from a personal level. I just mean a group that like will be here that long that you know, we'll see it all the way through ups and downs and then cutting down the nets. I mean, that's hard enough to do as it is. However, the one thing that you know on the other side that's a positive is that we were able to rid ourselves of an insanely deadly toxic virus known as Kenny Payne quickly. You could not have he would still be our coach. Like I hate to get people PTSD here when you're probably worried about your basement flooding or something. But like, he'd be our coach still if we did not have the portal in anil because coaches were just giving way more time. They had the excuse, well, you know, it just takes time. Takes time. No, it doesn't that take time. I mean what he was saying about how long it takes to build a culture and how it was broken and you know, needing people, real Louisville fans to understand what he's having to deal with, Like that feels like those were comments made fifty years ago, because I mean it was not the truth when he said it. We knew it. But yeah, I mean, it's it's different. But I think, at least for now, what has kept me from thinking in any way negative about the New World is that the awesome season we just had as fans that experience of watching these guys slowly but surely get this fan base back on board. Attendance grew every game throughout the season. They could sense that we were healing and they were doing it, and you could tell they were energized by that. Like it was just a great, great vibe all the way around Austin. You and I were there for a handful of games together. You could just feel it. Man, it was great. And we would not have had that if the portal and NIL were not in place like they are right now. So again, there's there's pros and cons of it for everybody. I'm sure, and I'm sure everything I said as far as why I think it's great, I'm sure a lot of you don't. Maybe you don't care, maybe you feel differently, and that's totally fine. But regardless of what you think, even if I was somebody that hated it and think it's like the downfall of sports, it's not going back. We're not going back to players not being able to make money, and we're not going back to players not having the ability to just go wherever they want because they're not employees. They're not signing noncompetes, which by the way, aren't those illegal now too anyway. I mean, so like it or not, love it or hate it, it is what it is. I would just figure out what best way you can get used to it, because this is it, and I'm sure there'll be some changes along the way. In fact, that settlement, I think that could be finishing up here soon. In fact, I know today's a big day when it comes to that. So let's do this. Let's take a quick time out, will come back on the other side, and a lot I want to get to before we run out of time. So let's just get to a break. I'll try to save as much time as I can. It's coffee and company. We're fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: All right, so again, I didn't get a chance to talk last week about the three editions for Pat Kelsey and the car and says he got off to a good start. In fact, got a lot of work done last week as far as the roster. I think the three pieces that they've added, I mean, there's a reason why currently you have the number one class in the portal. And it started with the first visitor, and that was Adrian Wooley, a guy that we did talk about. In fact, I think he was visiting towards the end of the last week I was here before going on vacation. But he committed six or five guard who was sensational in his first season at Kennesau State nineteen points, five point two rebounds, shot at fifty one point two percent from the field, and was forty three percent roughly from three. I mean this guy only as a true freshman. I don't care what league you're in. He only had single digits in two games last year. Conference U hasa freshman of the Year, first team All Conference USA. And I don't know if you know, I don't know if if he is somebody that chose to go that route. I I think he ended up in that. I mean clearly he wasn't somebody that had the portal, you know, not existed. He would have ended up at a place like Louisville or the other schools he was considering just a week ago before deciding on Louisville. But he's probably at Kennesaw instead of a place like I don't know Clemson or Georgia Tech, because those schools instead of reaching out to three stars, borderline top one fifty kids out of high school, they're saying, look, we're losing veterans every year to the portal because that's where we fall in the food chain here, So loading up on a bunch of freshmen that you know, Arnie Lee would make not a lot of sense. So you know, that's why those guys end up at Kinnesau. So really, guys that would usually not commit to a school like Kennesaw are now going there. And they only had him for a year, and I'm sure you know they wish they could keep him longer, but they got a really good player for a year that they probably would have never got had it not been for these changes. So, I mean, he clearly showed that he was very talented. I know that Conference USA is not not even what it once was when Louisville was in it, But this is a guy that right now is viewed as the fifth best player in the portal now, I know, right now, you know there are how many years, four or five years you can reference of different rankings as far as portal players by position, overall, and you get a mixed bag of results, guys that you're like, Wow, that guy was as good as everybody thought he was. And then there's guys who you're like, wow, that guy really sucked at his new school. So you just don't know. So I want to be clear about that. However, all we can do is reference what's out there, and right now, Adrian Wooley is listed as the fifth best overall player in the portal, behind Yaxcel Lindenborg, who is the UAB transfer going to Michigan, Bennett Sturtz, who is the Ben McCollum player who followed him from the D two level to Drake now following him to Iowa. R J. Lewis who is Saint John's transfer. No, nobody knows where he's going just yet. And then Donovan Dent, who is number four, who's going from New Mexico to UCLA. So, I mean, by all accounts, this guy, he's really really highly regarded and he's somebody did a lot of people want it. In fact, Louisville guess got in prett quick, got it done, which was great to see. But the other schools that were really prioritizing him at the time of Louisville was locking it up with the likes of you know, Alabama final fourteen, Auburn or I guess an Elite eight team. I should say Auburn final four team, and then Kansas, who clearly had it down yere, but it's Kansas. So that was the first pickup. And he's probably the one if you're gonna be that guy who worries about all right, we'll see it's at Kennisau. Will he average nineteen next year? Louill probably not? Will he need to?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I mean if he gives you like eleven or twelve in twenty three four minutes of action and he's shooting forty percent from three, I mean with everybody else that you're gonna have like that should be that's a great addition. Now he may do more than that. You just don't know. So you know, if you're gonna be the guy, we'll see and I don't blame you. People can do whatever they want. He'd be the one that you would have some some you know, reservations for as far as like I'm gonna hold out on real get getting excited. I wouldn't do that if I was you, because this is exciting stuff. But because he came from Kennesaw, that may be that may have some people thinking, Okay, we'll see. But when you've got players coming from the Big East and other acc squals that you have seen with your own eyes be really good, that's where it gets really exciting. And I'm telling you Ryan Conwell, I mean, I watched probably more Big East basketball than the average just because you know, I look for it. I know that it's on It's on Fox Sports one and Fox and they have no affiliation with ESPN, which leaves them not in front of a lot of people. They just they just aren't seen that much. But Conwell's a really really good player. Third Team All Big East this past season, visited last week, made the decision seventeen a game forty one percent from three.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, he was on the team that that did make the play in game and beat Texas to get into the field of sixty four. So I mean, really really really talented player, and a lot of people just assume, Okay, he'll follow He's gonna follow Sean Miller to Texas. Of course, left Savior to go to Texas a couple weeks ago, and then Indiana they got involved, he visited Bloomington. Well, he ends up choosing Louisville, and I'm really, really really happy that he did. He's a six to four Indianapolis native and just just a really talented guard, tough physical, a veteran. I believe he started his career at Indiana State. I think. So that's a good get. And then obviously this is one that Austin was really, really really excited about. And then it came true. You got your man, Austin. Isaac McNeely, the sharpshooter picks the cards. I was waiting for that, the one I was most happiest about. Yeah, you and you were pretty you were pretty juiced about it. I mean, we're talking about it about fifteen a game, and obviously forty two point one percent from three, only behind Rain Smith in both percentage. And actually I'm sorry, he had a better percentage than Rain slightly, but he's second in may threes per game, only behind Rain Smith. So that's what you call not missing a beat. I think you know, in a way, Rain could just get insanely hot, and I guess this guy can too. Clearly, the numbers are very similar, but I feel like he's got like he's bigger. I mean he's bigger, he's more physical, he's more athletic. And I'm not in any way here to say he's gonna better than rain Smith, because Rain Smith was was great, always will be remembered. But this guy is just to you know, put it this way. When it comes to just measurables and things that you bring to the table, mcneeliy just has a little bit more because you know, he's a four star guy, guy who committed to go play for Why can't I think of, oh, Tony Bennett. I think I can think of his name. So I mean these three guys right now, if you bring back Javon Hadley and Caseon Pryor with the two freshmen that you have coming in that are good enough to at least be in the rotation, you look at the other guys that you're expecting to come back. I mean, Canny Russ could have that typical big jump from freshman a sophomore, and you saw times this year. I mean he was somebody that absolutely would make plays, do little things that you could tell. Okay, yeah, when it comes to which guy was a top thirty overall player in his class, it's this guy, not the others, just because he's gifted athletically, so you know, I think the sky's the limit for him. And then you've got Kobe Rodgers, who really, I mean, he's somebody that people probably know a lot about. Played for Pat Kelsey at Charleston and was a starter, was a real impact guy for them, and got hurt in their tournament game. Pat's last game he coached there at Charleston against Alabama, and he sat out last year, just like Ali Khalifa. So you've got those two guys, and then James Scott as well. I mean, he's somebody that I mean, I would I love that he's coming back, and I wouldn't be shocked if he plays a ton of minutes again. And it really just is I'm thinking about last year at times, I think they did a really good job of I mean, we've said this many times. They did a good job of really getting everything you can out of what you had to work with after the injuries. Sorry about that and don't mean for that to play, but anyways, that's why at the end of the year, like I was upset and sad that it was over, but like I couldn't generate any feeling of like disappointment or being let down because I think at the end of the year, what how it all played out, Like, again, you could have beat a better you could have played better and beat Creighton. Obviously, you know, if you had a better seed like you probably should have got, it would have been different. So like that's that still sucks. But overall them not being able to have like any really polished low post scoring, like they made up for that. They shot a lot of threes. Obviously they had guys that could get to the line and you could get points in the paint with your guards because Chucky was good at getting at the rim. Bat was really good at that. Obviously, that's where that's where Javn lived. But you know, a polished low post scorer, a guy who's got some some of you know, he doesn't have to be a super athlete, because that's where James Scott can come in. Jim Scott's a really good rim runner, a good athlete. He's long, he can block shots. But if you've got a guy to play alongside him in the front court that you know, and I know, maybe it could be casing because he's a you know, he's a but to me, he's a stretch and he loves to shoot threes. We learned that in the brief amount of time we had a healthy case in prior last year. So like, to me, like a really productive big that can score around the rim. And I don't mean we got to play through him like that to me would be like the missing piece for this team to be like really really, really good. And I don't know, I don't know who, uh who that's gonna be, but one name that obviously, as soon as this guy entered the portal, I think it made sense for Louisville fans, myself included, to start to think, okay, maybe this guy is going to be a name we should we should follow. And that is uh, let me see if I can pull it up here, where is it? It is the you know what the hell is it? Come on now? Yeah? So Ase Brosovic Brosovic. That is the big man who was player of the Year in his conference for Pat Kelsey before he came to Louisville. He decided to stay Charleston for Chris Mack and he had a really good year. He's a really good player. And I remember when it came up and I saw the report that he entered the portal. Everybody's thinking, Okay, well, he'll probably now follow Pat Kelsey, the Louisville the six to ten, two hundred and thirty pound big man. You know, he'll he'll certainly be a Louisville lock. And I'm thinking, okay, would make sense, right, why not reunite? I mean, he was actually a more productive player for not no, no, I don't think it was any fall to Chris Mack. But you know, he had his best season the year that Pat was in his last year there at Charleston. So I'm thinking, okay, yeah, this would be cool, But like, where's this guy going to get eligibility? He played four years and now he's done because he did not start his college career early enough to be granted a COVID year. So I'm sitting here thinking, I think we talked about it on the show, like the only thing he would be able to claim is that his year of playing Division two basketball should not count against him, And sure enough we get we get an update today. Ross Ellinger, who covers Kyle college football mostly but college sports I guess for Yahoo Sports. He reports that a new suit has been filed challenging n C DOUABLEA rules, and it's from Brosovic, who played at Charleston for three years and is now in the portal. He's arguing that it's one season at the D two level where he played. I believe it was for Southeast Oklahoma State. Maybe that's where he was as a freshman at the D two level before transferring to play for Pat Kelsey. His argument in his lawsuit is that his D two season should not count. He cites financial damages of one of more than one million dollars, and that's the amount he's being offered to play in college next season. So the lawsuit is, Look, he's got a chance to play another year and make a million dollars and the NC double A is keeping him from being able to do that. I don't have a clue what kind of case he actually has here in court, but I can't blame the guy for trying, because if you file a suit, I mean, if you file a lawsuit against NS double A lately, I feel like you won because I've not heard about them getting any victories when it comes to court. Now with that SAI, this wouldn't even have been something that he would think about doing. I would imagine unless Diego Pavia, the Van Dy quarterback, didn't file his lawsuit. And again some still think his claim is stupid. Fair enough, but here was his argument. You can't take away you can't prohibit me from having four years of eligibility when the two years I spent prior to playing at this level was not underneath your umbrella of schools. Right. I played at a school that was not an NCUBLEA institution member. And sounds kind of weird that guys could go to JUCO two years and then get four years of college sports. But that is a legit argument. You're claiming I've used two years of eligibility that was not underneath your organization. Rozevic can't say that he played NCAA basketball at a Division two level. But again they're fighting, as we see speak in court over players who are opting in in joint for this settlement because they were not allowed to make money. So it's really the same argument. Like you know, he's basically following the lawsuit saying, you know, I couldn't make that kind of money when I was at a D two school, And now there's guys that have finished playing college basketball seven eight years ago that are joining in this lawsuit and they're going to get a settlement. Why not just let me play so we'll see what happens. I mean again, this is not in any way necessarily relative to like local schools here. But what I want you to keep in mind, if this guy wins, the NAA will probably do the same thing they did with Diego Pavia, which is they will just give a blanket waiver for everybody while they figure it out. Because that's what they did. They didn't make any changes, they just said, look, if you play. That's why Javon and Casein are eligible. Cason would have got it regardless because of the red shirt he could have taken from the injury this year. But Javon is getting an extra year because one of his years that was used during his college career where his eligibility was supposed to be exhausted this year was JUCO. Now that doesn't count, so he gets another year, so that it's Juco guys that are that are that are still able to play now. I mean, there's some football players that were not in the mix for their school until this way, until this blanket waver passed. Who are now? You got dudes that are you know? Yeah, I played one year, Juco, I got one year left. Let's hit the portal. See what I can go get? Well, think about if you played four years of NCAA DIV again. This is if Brosovic wins his lawsuit again, they'll probably do a blanket waiver until they figure it out. But like, there could be players from all I mean D two NAI which, by the way, D two I would say, like the best D two teams, A lot of them are not just better, they're substantially better than the three hundreds of D one. So just think about if they do a blanket waiver, you've got all American players from the D two level that are like, I'm hitting the poor like it's just it is an absolute free for all right now. And it's nobody's fault about the instill as that's just the facts of the matter. So anyways, quick break, we'll come back, wrap up the four o'clock hour on the other side and keep it all on along. We'll also get back into the Kentucky side of things, because again I don't want to act like Mark Pope's gonna have a terrible team next year, But there's really no way to kind of again, it can be both things. It's not the end of the world. They'll probably be just fine when it comes to players for next year, for Mark Pope and Lexington. But you know, Kentucky fans, even me who's not a Kentucky fan, it's just not usual. I'm not used to seeing Kentucky go all in for a player three straight times and then not get them. But it happened. Quick break. People lock there here and sports Talks.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day, Neo right, uh, yes, Neo had a run. Is he still like he's around? I know he's still around. I don't think he's making music though. He's got like ten wives. I think, yeah, I remember here, he's like some like they all like live together like he's it's not like he just really oh yeah, it's not like a side piece thing like he. I think they live as like a family. He may not have ten I think he has a few, but a few. Neo one of the best voices of that era of music, and there's just something about his music that just you know, it didn't make me uncomfortable, but like, no matter what Neo was singing about, it was sexual. You know what I'm saying, Like he gets you fun. I mean he was. He was, you know, baby making music as they say, right like the.
Speaker 3: Early two thousands, R and B, Like that's what it was. I remember when I was living in Arizona. I used to call into the radio stations all the time and try to do like when like saying that you in up here with us, look.
Speaker 2: At how that works.
Speaker 3: I ended up winning. I told him it was my birthday and they gave me. Well they said here it's the Neo's latest CD. And I'm like, all right, that sounds awesome. And they were trying to verify me. I asked if I was over eighteen, but I couldn't do the date in my head. I'm like, god, when is eighteen years old at this point? So I just hung up. So I wonder what that album. Wonder where that album ended up.
Speaker 2: I wish it would have ended up with you. That would have been awesome. Yeah, that how old were you? Do you remember? Just because I was probably like twelve thirteen. That sounds about right, Like that was the Neo era. Right, Yes, like he had a run, good run, and now he's got a lot of wives, and you know, I'm sure he's giving them a good run too. And if you need help in doing that, I got just the guy for you. It's doctor wood Over at the Louis Men's Clinic. Louis of Men's Clinic has been helping men in this community for over ten years. There have been imitators that have no pun intended, popped up, open up shop trying to, you know, imitate what is done at the Louis Men's Clinic, and they don't last very long because you know, they're not nearly as good. I was going to try to make a very corny joke with that line because that was but you know I was waiting for it. They don't last long like the folks who you know aren't taking care of what they need to take care of with their partner. Probably not a good segue there, but I try to my best. All you need to know is Louis Men's Clinic can help you fellas in a variety of ways. When it comes to low testosterone a rectiledist function, They've got a variety of ways to treat that they can help you with weight loss therapy, they can help you with hair restoration. Think of just about how you know. And again, I know men, they live in a world, some of them where they're they're tough, they're strong as can be. They're just programmed to not show any sign of weakness. And you know, I wish we weren't like that, but a lot of men are. I'm here to tell you just look at it this way. Maybe like you don't even realize how much happier and healthier you could be. Maybe you have low testosterone and you've just been putting it off and you are in denial, or maybe you just don't even know what low testosterone is or how it works. If you have a rectoldus function, I would imagine that's something that you do know, and maybe you're in denial, which is understandable. I'm sure that's a tough thing to go through, and I just want you to know that there's folks that can help you with that. And you can't get that taken care of and get it behind you and have a better intimate situation with your partner until you address it and don't worry about the awkwardness. This is what they do. This is literally what their business is. And it's not just providing a service to help you with certain things. It's to be there and help you through what is probably going to be an uncomfortable situation for you. They're there to make it not uncomfortable. So I can't recommend them enough. It's the love of Men's Clinic. You can check them out online, very easy to remember the website lovel Men's Clinic dot com, or you can check them out on or you can give them a call. I should say at five O two four four four four thousand, shout out to the Louisville Men's Clinic. All right, So again I'm just thinking more so about what we talked about at the end of the last segment. If Brosovic does win his lawsuit, I mean, I just don't see how the NCAA wouldn't. I mean, they don't have the resources to handle hundreds of other players seeing him winning and doing the same thing, so they'll probably just give a blanket waiver. And it's just I mean that, you know, the JUCO thing was a big enough factor. But if he is granted another year because one of his four years was not at the D one level, and now that his eligibility is exhausted, he he's unable to make a million dollars because he you know, is Uh is allegedly being offered that and he can't go because he doesn't have eligibility. If they just decide, okay, well we'll figure it out. Like I still, I don't, you know, look at I'm trying to think of other players. I mean, obviously the best example was what Ben McCullum did at Drake, But I mean I think there are guys who could go and be like you could go to next year if this, if this happened to where like D two players took advantage of this and realized they could go to a higher level one for one year or maybe longer. I don't know, Like you can see an extra's final four have two guys that are, you know, like the third leading scorers on teams that are playing for a national championship. Like that's not unheard of. They're not going to be your focal point, but like they're good players and you put them along you know, other good players, players that are at a caliber they've never played before because they've been at the D two level of the NAI level like it. And these are the kind of guys that are going to be hungry, like they're not going to be here just for the bag. Clearly they're gonna want that and they're gonna get it, but like they're gonna be thinking like this is insane. I'm playing for a power program right now. So we'll see. I don't know if he wins, but wouldn't shock me if he does. All right, you will win in life if you stick around for the five o'clock hour. How about that. Just take my word for it. It's coffee and company. We got another hour to go right here on Sports Talk seven ninety