Speaker 1: The following program is produced by the tech Talk Radio Network.
Speaker 2: I don't want to buy just the absolute primo system out today. That usually wastes money. So I'll be doing some digital photography, maybe some video editing. Don't do any gaming at all, so I don't have that demand on the computer. It's wondering what you guys would suggest, either in brands or just in general speed. And where do you go to get the maximum bang for the buck right now?
Speaker 1: Sounds like you want to max. Welcome to another episode of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor.
Speaker 3: Bye, I'm Sean de Weird, I'm Matt Jones, Dan, I'm slick.
Speaker 1: And Justin is out today, something about going to the mountains. You went camping or something like that.
Speaker 3: He went camping, And so far, every picture that I've seen of Eric has has not shown a please face to be out camping. Almongst the great outdoors.
Speaker 1: You know, it's hard to convince kids with all the technology we have today that being out in the outgrade outdoors is a fun thing to do.
Speaker 4: Look a stick, Look it's another stick.
Speaker 5: Hey, I really enjoy camping, so I take offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now have you taken the kids out camping, though, Do they appreciate the.
Speaker 5: Experience as much as they can? For me three and six months old, Oh yeah, so we took So I grew up camping, right. My mom was camping when she's praying with me. I've been camping my entire life. So we went camping. When Cad was pregnant with Max, we went camping. So like three weeks after Max was born, two weeks after, Daniel's like, we've been camping. We camp all the time.
Speaker 1: You're not how many times have you been camping?
Speaker 4: Like I'm gonna say, I think honestly that that can qualify as camping too. One is early teens in Albuquerque near the Rio Grande boy Scouts and then once uh, some crew we went from power fourteen fifty we went up to I want to say Mount Lemon, I don't. We went up to one in our mount here whatever, whatever one we got.
Speaker 1: It's like a radio promotion for no.
Speaker 4: We're just one weekend, you know, somebody did their last their last shift of the afternoon and we were hanging around somebody's house, uh, and we were like, hey, you know, and even our wives and a girlfriends are there. This was amazing. We pulled this off. You know what, let's just go camping and we took off.
Speaker 1: Wow, let us Really they thought you were never coming back. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I do have a question for Sean, serious question. So when you go camping being a tech guy, you know, I do envy anyone that could go camping. I do envy because that's I mean, that's literally living off the land. I really do. I wish I could do it. I wish I knew. I wish I knew how to do it. I wish I had the skills. But when you do go camping, what tech are you taking with you?
Speaker 5: So we've talked about this on the shelf, right, So I've done a variety of camping, right, I've done ted camping, I've done camper camping, I've done our V motor home camping. I've done I've done all the gamut. Right, But in terms of tech, right, it just pens. It depends on what I'm doing, where I'm going, how much you can carry, how much you want to take with you. If we're going right now, if I were to pack up my camper, the technology I would take with me would be I have my camera bank with my two dieselars, in it because I want to. If I'm going camping, I'm probably gonna be shooting some nighttime stuff. I'm taking, you know, my power inverter so I can be powered and plug into the solar and charge it. I don't have a drone, so I'm not taking one of those. And then I had done this when we went traveling out west, just in case the weather got bad and we were stuck inside. I built my own mobile flex server on a Raspberry Pie and a two terabyte hard drive with a tp link mini AP so it's a single It's literally a two inch by two inch q that it's the ext point with one E threat point in it. So I turn it on, plug in the pie boom flex server on the goal bad, it all runs off. It all runs off twelve.
Speaker 1: So you get on the great outdoors and you watch content.
Speaker 5: Hey, I will say when we when we went up to the up the Upperts Liver for those you don't live the Michigan then is a Michigan and it rained for like a data half and Max were stuck inside and wanted to watch Lightning McQueen on YouTube because it's pretty wants to watch right now? Yeah, I was able to rip some of those videos from YouTube futrom my plex server.
Speaker 1: Perfect. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So then I just pull out the iPad, connect to the wire, the TP link, and I've got access to all those videos that I've put on there for him to watch.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cool. It keeps them entertained, so at least, yeah, in that situation.
Speaker 5: So so, yeah, so I take a lot of photography tech with me. Right, I'm still pretty heavily into analog film shooting, so I had I took I take my Minolta X seven hundred with me. I have my Polaroid camera. I've got probably like seven cameras that I take with me.
Speaker 4: Right, so you're still doing you're still developing film.
Speaker 5: I ship it off to Indie Film Labs, which is about ten to twelve dollars per role, depending on the type of film you send them.
Speaker 1: But it has a real different looks Like, well, a couple a few weeks ago, we took a look at some of the photos that Sean had taken and it just actually, these are photos you had developed that were what twenty years old?
Speaker 5: I mean yeah, so there were So I shot a whole two new roles of film that were probably the roles of film were probably twenty years old. But then I also had a disposable film camera that had pictures on it from I don't even know when, Yeah, and I just shipped that in and they developed it, and that one had been the film had had some degradation. I don't know if it was mold or whatever, but they didn't come back looking super great. But the stuff I shot on my I'm Minolta, the two roles looked really good and I got some, like some of my favorite pictures from that trip around that from that camera versus my DSLR.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny if you think about it, though, Sean, with the pictures that we take with film, it's a different look. You know, now you look at it. AI is going to be able to take that and you could tell it. You can have AI apply a filter that would say a code chrome look, or you know, an early film look.
Speaker 5: I have a philosophy in my photography that I do. I don't shoot to edit and post there you go, right. I shoot to post, like if I were to put it on the internet, like say shoot the post, I take a picture. I do very minimal editing, right, I shoot in raw on my DSLR. So yeah, okay, the raw images look pretty flat, right, They're meant to be enhanced by bringing out the contrast, the highs the lows, a little bit of trauma, you know. But I don't do any other post editing. I have never gotten into it. I'm not good at it because I've never spent the time to do it, because that takes away the value of the arts. To me, AI is taking the human experience out of being a human being. That's my philosophy on AI. There are benefits to AI, but that is to me, the biggest downfall of this is that the human experience needs to create things. We need to create things. We need to do things that take our mind and put emotion to them and put them on a medium. Drawings, photography, art, music, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. If you start taking that away from people, I don't know what that's going to do. AI hasn't been around for a whole, you know, a whole long time. But other things that have taken away creativity people have you seen terrible things happen?
Speaker 1: And I agree with you, Sean, but you look at how technology has progressed when we were shooting film and you would get it processed and there was an excitement about, you know, opening up and seeing the photos. And then photoshop comes along or corral even you could do things with it, you could manipulate and then walk them comes out with these great tablets to make it easier. And now we're at the stage where, yeah, we've done a lot with that, and there's some great photoshop artists that are out there that have taken photos that they've shot and enhanced them incredibly using light room and photoshop. But now we have AI doing it for us.
Speaker 5: And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the digital art isn't the thing. Digital art is very much a thing, right. You see in tons of video games. There are a lot of great video game art, video game artists and digital artists that have created beautiful and engaging and just amazing content. AI is still taking out the human experience, right.
Speaker 3: I'm entirely with Sean on this one. One of the great quotes that I saw the other day was AI was supposed to make my work and job easier so I could focus on my art and craft, not take my art and craft out of my hands, so I could only focus on my job.
Speaker 5: That's a great quote. Send me that quote wherever you found it from, said it to me, because whoever wrote that quote, I want to meet them in person.
Speaker 4: I want to copy that too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it really does. Like you know, in my last job, you know, we had AI starting to roll out on you know, any any vendor software. They were like, well, with our new you know, Charlotte AI component, it was you know, I could just be like, hey, do this and that and put these guys in these groups and let me know what it's all done. And that ask might have taken me, you know, half an hour normally I asked it to do it, and it's just like bit back, all right, I'm done. That's what AI was supposed to be for. It was supposed to be like, hey, make our jobs easier, make manufacturing easier. Take us out of the places that you know, we're spending forty plus hours a week at so I can go camping, I can draw, I can do photos to where we don't have to live to work like we you know, we we just work becomes a small component of our lives. So there was actually the CEO of Nvidia equated where we are with AI to the next Industrial Revolution. I think we talked about this last show that you know, the original industrial revolution was because you had before you didn't have, you know, the standardization of parts. Like people are like, oh, Henry Ford, creator of the automobile. He was not the creator of the automobile. They were already making them in Europe well before that. He was the guy who perfected the assembly line. So every model T that came off the line was like everyone before, everyone after. He could just crank it out by volume. We are now at the technological equivalence of that with AI. Like, for example, I was applying to jobs today and my wife was like, hey, you know, I know you normally don't do it. Make sure you do a cover letter. I went in to chat GPT and I was like, hey, here's my resume, here's the link to the job posting. I need a cover letter, and it would just boom, here's your cover letter. And it would even pull like, you know, it's my name, contact information, all that, you know, hiring manager at, and it's the company and it pulled the address and everything out of there, populated customized it. I had six cover letters done in fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, cool.
Speaker 4: But when you look at the cover letter, what did you how did you feel about each individual letter?
Speaker 3: Though each individual letter was different, customized to the position, customized to the company, customized to what the company does, their values, what they're trying to push, what industry they were in. It was not a boiler plate like if I done it, I'd had like this boilerplate letter with like a couple of sentences that I would change in between. The ball just been like that's good enough, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 3: I don't do cover letters like I never have this one. It's just like I'm reading this and I'm like, man, that's really good. Like that's you start using I'll tell you I could start using AI more.
Speaker 4: Man, this is nice.
Speaker 1: It's like there are a lot of benefit right, So I got to.
Speaker 5: I got added on as part of the chat GPT pilot of Campus in a RAM, so I've been playing with it at work. There are be like I was anti AI everything when it first, Like when it was the rage, right you guys know about that. I was like, no, I'm not never gonna do chat GPT, not doing it. But then I was like, how could I It started coming up where we were doing all this cloud production and we're doing all this stuff, and how can AI help us advance the technology in our work? And I saw value in that. So that's where my focus with AI is is focusing on how I can use it to enhance my work experience. I am using it on a personal level to do some creative storytelling, like you know, I've done it with my Dungeon and Dragons campaigns where I've taken the auto transcript and generating a short story format, which has been awesome. And I've been learning how to properly prompt the j GPT to give me what I want, which in turn has helped me prompt it better at getting the things done I wanted to do for work. So using AI has been beneficial to me, but I still am hard pressed to try and do music, photography, other artworks or like just because it doesn't sit well with me.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you it's been interesting, and some of you know that I've been working with middle school and high school kids about creating podcasts and the program has been great. It's worked out really well. And I was talking to a principal the other day who said, you know, I would love the idea about possibly you coming in and teaching them about technology and you know, creating digital technology and using AI. And I told the principle. I said, if we were to teach the kids number one AI, the coursework would change within about five six months. And the only thing we can teach with AI is how to summon the AI that they need. Like the problem a lot of people have when it comes to some of the AI that's out there and maybe whether it be gpt DALLY three or some of the others that are available, is getting the right results by asking the proper questions. And the better the question, the more streamlined, the better the result you're going to get. And that's what some people are not understanding about it. However, I will tell you and Slick, I know that this will kind of you. Being from a radio broadcasting background, I fell down the rabbit. This past week, Google has launched something new called Notebook LM. It's actually who it's experimental and if you have a Google account you can try this experimental AI, which is an AI powered tool that is designed to help users understand information by summarizing notes and sources so you get a bunch of notes, you throw them into this notebook LM, and you have it create a synopsis, a summary, or even a couple of people talking about it like a podcast. That what I created sounded very similar to what would be morning radio or maybe even a podcast itself. And again it could help, they say students and studying. It works by training a specialized AI in the documents that users upload. THEAI then becomes an expert on the user's documents that can provide specific resources. So I'm gonna play a little audio for you. Now. Remember I took notes and I uploaded them, and these are two AI people talking about what I had uploaded.
Speaker 6: All right, everybody, deep dive time you ready. We've got a wild mix of stuff to unpack today.
Speaker 5: Definitely should be interesting.
Speaker 6: I was just looking over these new snippets and the event you sent looks like we're going to be talking about everything from like AD overload to at ownership and then to top it off, a free local event this weekend.
Speaker 4: Sounds like a plan.
Speaker 6: So let's jump right in. Huh. This first one, this Business Journal's article right it says we're hit wow.
Speaker 4: Get this.
Speaker 6: Four thousand ads every single day.
Speaker 1: Now, remember, all I did was uploaded the story about the four thousand ads, and that was it. That's all I did. I uploaded a bunch of stories and then I said a story about an event that happened green Egg deities.
Speaker 3: What about you, though, what workshops are you most excited about?
Speaker 6: Oh Man, tough call, But honestly, those computer basics and online safety ones sound super useful, especially these days.
Speaker 5: You know no doubt about it? Did you?
Speaker 1: So you listen to the AI Did that not sound like two real people.
Speaker 5: Have from from listening to it the way there, the way their cadence was totally not human to me.
Speaker 4: Real right now, generally I would agree with you this one could have fooled me now because the other ones I got kind of catched. This one could have fooled me.
Speaker 3: Now that that that fell firmly in the uncanny valley for me, that it was just I was shown like the cadences, the pauses and the breaks were just like just that, those couple degrees off, just like I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, ah, now, now let me say this. Behind what I just said, this one could have fooled me. But I wouldn't listen to these two because I don't listen to people on the radio like this. Already. There are people like this on air already. I can't stand and I don't listen to their shows.
Speaker 1: I was driving on Friday morning or Thursday morning, listening to a show very similar to this, and I'm ember thinking this. When I did this on Thursday or Friday Friday morning, I remember thinking, well, that sounds like that show I listened to yesterday. But the pauses, to me are what made it give it that little edge of human of humanity. So I don't know, I don't know we're listening to we're listening to the same thing, but maybe it is two different things. It just it was just so creepy.
Speaker 3: Now that the thing that makes this extra creepy for me is have have you guys ever heard of the dead Internet theory?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is I please listeners be aware. I am putting on my tinfoil hat for this, So I'm just gonna throw that out there. The dead Internet theory started around twenty twenty one. Of course, it started with like a four Chan post, which you know, fastioning of good information there. But the dead Internet theory was basically that actual organic human interaction on the Internet that has been on a steady decline, replaced instead with bots and algorithmically created content, so that you have no idea because of the pure anonymity of the Internet, for example, for Chune, Reddit coorra sites like that where it's just you pick a user name and that's it, that you have no idea whether you're actually interfacing with an organic, live human being or a bot created by somebody else. And now we've got this stuff that can create you know, a pseudo sounding radio show to go on top of it. I'm just like, oh, this is great. I'm not gonna wake up at three a m. With an existential crisis of what's actually real.
Speaker 1: That's not gonna happen at all.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks Andy, I really appreciate that one. Like people are like, ah, the dead Internet. There is just I'm like, it might have been, but we are. Somebody looked at that in twenty one and was like, oh damn, that's like a really good idea.
Speaker 4: Sleep again. We bet if like AI got real.
Speaker 3: And now somebody at Google is just like, oh, yep, yeah, let me just make a product that can do that for you. That's fine.
Speaker 1: I tested this out by uploading a story from last year about a fireworks festival that happens here in Saladita And it was just a short little blurb, a press release, and it took the two people talking about the event. Well, it blew me away. Is they pronounced sabwdita the correct way. A lot of people call it serena or are they give it a different name, but they actually pronounced it right. And again that that just blew me away. It makes me wonder in light of radio, and you know, radio is competing with so many different technologies now, radio broadcasting slick. I just wonder. You know, you've heard stories about there's one big, huge radio group out there that has had you know AI DJs that has been doing that. You know radio station says, well, we serve the market. Could take that uploaded and it could be running on the air, and you know some people wouldn't even have any idea that that's what was going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's sad. That's sad. By the way, matter you awake or is this are you asleep? Look at the look on this face.
Speaker 1: I love that you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when humanity is dead and gone, there's still going to be like podcast getting pumped out, radio broadcast going. The aliens are going to show up and just be like, dude, we got to get off this planet. I got to think through some things now just says I did not sign up for this tonight.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna try and Sean bumped out. We're not sure what happened to a signal. We're gonna try and see if we get shown back. We do have to take a quick break. We'll be back with more of tech talk Radio.
Speaker 3: I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: And I am Slick. Our website is tech talk radio dot com.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back now back to tech talk Radio. So I was talking earlier about, you know, with AI creating the cover letters, things like that, My wife and I have found this this awesome dog park shout up to skip Town, Denver. This this place is like it sandals for dogs, like they do grooming, training, boarding, daycare. And then they've got this giant open dog park that now also has a splash pad. The whole thing's turfed. There's like six attendants out at anytime. They have a rule that like no waste of any kind can be on the turf for more than thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: So like you'll see a dog like mark a table and somebody's immediately like following right behind, sprays it up and starting Wednesday they'll have a full bar. Well hopefully Wednesday they'll have a full bar. And they currently have a coffee shop. The reason I bring this up is because that's where I've actually been working out of for like the past week. We'll get up, load up one of the dogs, and we'll take them and just let them go play for like three four hours.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 3: That's also why I bought my MacBook, my MacBook Pro, so I had something to do that with. But I discovered when I was there after like the first trip, I was like one monitor, the nerd that I am does not cut it. So I I had mentioned that to Lee, and because uh, you know, Google is ever present and always watching, I had an ad targeted to me a few days later, and I just got the product over the weekend. And it's called mon Duo m O n duo all right, Onduo dot com?
Speaker 1: Do you have a website? Or is monduo dot co? All right? Cool?
Speaker 3: And it comes in two versions. It comes in a version for fourteen inch laptops and a version for sixteen inch laptops. Mon Duo is short for Monitor Duo, so it's a little thicker than the current MacBook pros. But it basically you fold it open and then it like expands a bit and then clamps onto your monitor screen. You plug in two USBC cables and now I have three monitors anywhere.
Speaker 1: I got oh wow.
Speaker 3: And this, I will admit it is not the cheapest of the solutions that it was like seven fifty for the whole thing, but they're one hundred and forty four hertz five hundred knits for brightness, and they've actually got like the full resolution and can match or even surpass the brand new retina display on my MacBook Pro.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. So they're not cheap. I mean they're cheap quality. They're built well.
Speaker 3: They're built very well. It's got a great feel to it. It's not one of those where like when you open it, you're like this is gonna shattered in like two seconds, and you know clamps on that you can either use USBC or Thunderbolt four I think is the other version. But then each side also has Mini HDMI if you need that as well, and with the MacBook Pro. And as you guys know how many times I've railed against Mac stuff against Apple stuff on this show.
Speaker 1: It is my shtick.
Speaker 3: It's right there with Justin's. But this was great because I just plugged it in on both sides. It was instantly recognized, instantly expanded the displays, set the resolution in brightness to match everything else, adopted over my wallpaper. And now I'm sitting there at the table in this dog park watching my dog have a ball with three monitors spread straight across, and they're all the same size, in a nice beautiful line. And anyone who has set up multiple monitors before, no is one of the greatest pet peeves is when you've got like two in a line and that third one's just sitting like that little bit lower. Yes, oh yeah, frustrated, and you're just like, oh great, I gotta redrill the whole mount into the wall or find some cardboard or but they're perfectly lined supported. It's got a little kickstand. I'm I can do full work remote anywhere. Now with those three monitors.
Speaker 4: Are the kickstands on the back of each of those two monitors? Do they have one freach?
Speaker 3: It's just in the middle and it just it's it folds down and then sits in place. And just because you have the clamp providing pressure on the sides, gravity having it at the top and that little kickstand is just a little bit of extra. I mean, my my dog was running around bumping the table the whole time, and the monitors were steady.
Speaker 1: Man, it was it was great.
Speaker 4: Can you move them back and forward with the kickstand? Can you adjust how you know how far back it leans or how close it comes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you can't do where you have like one close to you and then like the other two are like sitting six inches back or anything like that.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 3: It does like wing in and out, So it can either be in a straight line or kind of a curve if that's what you talk about.
Speaker 5: You can do that.
Speaker 3: So you can just have like three straight across. You can have them kind of bend in and have you know, your own little laptop cave sitting there in the coffee shop. I'm an internet troll. Leave me alone, which is definitely what somebody called me out on today. They were like, so you brought the basement with you, And I was like, first off, well done. Second off one called for like, how dare you say something so blatantly accurate?
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: One of the things I loved about a dual monitors set up. And I haven't tried the three yet. And I've got two different monitors that I've tried to make it happen. The first one I really like. But is being able to know. Some people say they just want to extend their desktop. Others say they want to have a separate screen so somebody could watch, you know, Netflix, or could watch peacock Er or use that for graphs and have maybe be editing something in the middle. I like to extend the desktop. Can you do all three? So you have a left screen, middle screen, right screen. It's all one big, gigantic desktop that you can move back and forth.
Speaker 3: I mean that's that's how it set up. When I plugged it all in. It doesn't read it as one one unit what you're talking about, like, for example, the desktop. Yeah, from my from my desktop, because I have I have two monitors.
Speaker 1: I used to have three.
Speaker 3: Now my wife has her own computer and I have two monitors. Guess we're the third one too, mm hmm. But when I had three, a MD has something called ifinity, and on software side, it'll actually group all those together as one solid display.
Speaker 1: It does it.
Speaker 3: I would have to tweak around because that's more of a software thing on the Mac side, but it does. You have monitor one, two, three, and I can seamlessly drag between all three of those windows like it's nothing.
Speaker 4: Now you're using the fourteen inch MacBook. I know on the sixteen inch MacBooks they have on each side, left and right they have two USB c ports. What do you have the same? I have the same.
Speaker 3: The Mandua comes with a short USBC or thunderbolt. It's the same bloody thing. They have a short cable and a long cable, so you can do like you can. I just use the two on the left to keep the right side free so I'm right handed if I want to plug a flash drive or something in, so I do the long cable from the right monitor, looping around, plugging in on the left side, and then the short cable from the left side of the left side, and that still leaves me a free USB sport on the right side of my MacBook Pro.
Speaker 1: Are you thinking about getting now, like a like a hub so that you could add more devices? Because that's that's the thing we're seeing, especially with laptops and mobile devices. You're not going to find a whole bunch of usbc's, usba's, you know, these types of connectors. So maybe a hub to extend your connections and maybe get more.
Speaker 3: Don't need to because they have two USB sports per monitor per side.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, so you plug those in, but then you've got almost like a hub on that monitor itself. Yep, Okay, now I understand the price too.
Speaker 3: I was looking at that thing and I was like, oh, well done, Google ad algorithm.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give you the w on this one.
Speaker 3: Like you are creepy, but today you succeeded, very very well done.
Speaker 1: That is good. So I wanted to share with you too that today was the last day for my Android venture. Going to the Google sold nine XL the pro nine Excel, and you know, I was told, if you're going to return it, you have fifteen days. Today was the day, and over the weekend I made sure that I got the heck use out of it. I was using the AI on that and I was comparing it, so i'd have, you know, my iPhone sitting next to it, and I'd ask a question to the Google Ai which is Gebini, and it would give me a really great answer, concise the info I needed. I would ask Siri and it would pop up a little little scream, not even repeat what I was asking, and I'd have to read it if I wanted to. And slick. I don't know about you, but you know, when you're doing a radio show and you're doing show preps, sometimes you just blurt out, Hey, tell me this, and it gives you the answer. I don't want to have to pick up the phone and read it, and the whole bit. The other reason going the other reason, the call screener. Uh huh. Apple Yeah, does not have a call screener, at least right now. I don't know if they do with the new sixteen. But the call screener in this is great. I've been using it and I love it. You know, you just you can push a button. It will screen your call for you and then you could ask can you give me more info? Or you could pick up that call, or you could send it to you know, to voicemail. So better assistant features call screener. I will say that the picts are okay with it. The Apple I kind of liked a little better the picts of the video. It takes a little while to charge as well, and the battery life of the iPhone fourteen promac seem to be a bit longer than the pixel. I had to buy a case for that this today, and I ended up getting this Trras magnetic and it has a kickstand on it, so you can stand your smartphone while it's you know, on your desk, or even lay it sideways in landscape mode. One problem I was having if you're somebody like me, you're going from an iPhone to an Android. I was getting people who were texting me and I was not getting the text on my Android device. There was still going to my my iPhone because of course I keep everything, and even with the iPhone off, I turn it on and there were messages. So I was trying to figure out why is that happening. People say, hey, did you get my messages?
Speaker 3: Like, no, because you didn't de register the phone from the I Messages service.
Speaker 1: Or just turn off the I Messages service. Yeah. You if you don't have the device, you could get in touch with Apple and they could de register it, or you could go into the iPhone itself and just turn off I message. I never knew that. So that's why the I messages. As soon as I'd be within Wi Fi range, then I would get the get the messages. So again, hopefully now I will get all the messages. I figured out the apps, and I'm liking it.
Speaker 4: So like you figured out the apps. That's a strange that's a strange statement from you. You figured out the apps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, because you know you could scroll up this way, uh huh, you get all the apps, or you can take each app and move it to where you want it to go and eventually get your complete lineup of apps. Arrange.
Speaker 4: Okay, I get you all right, which is really good.
Speaker 1: Because we did get a question that was sent to us. Actually it came in last week, and I thought it was pretty cool because they were listening to this, says, hey, guys heard the show last week, which'd be a couple of weeks ago, and you were talking about the move from Apple and Android. But I'm wondering. Years ago, I remembered on iTunes you could organize the apps on the smartphone. So you connect your smartphone, you go into iTunes on your PC, and there were your screens and you could move the apps where you wanted to go, and I remember them that went away. I remember I was kind of bummed at that too, because I like that anyway. He said, is there something like this on the Android devices? And this was from Scott in Tucson. I haven't found it yet, you guys know if is there anything like this?
Speaker 4: And I've never used that feature of arranging the apps via iTunes and stuff. I've now with iOS eighteen, the latest version of the operating system, I've noticed I can now put icons in specific locations.
Speaker 1: You can always do that, can't you.
Speaker 3: No, the longest time, you couldn't, which is why Android users were dying laughing when Apple's like this brand new, innovative feature and we were like, brand new, what We've had that for over a decade, My dude, Yes it's not new. You are copying our old notebook.
Speaker 1: Yeah, new one. I you know, the movie in the apps has been a bit of a chore, But now once I'm getting them set up, I'm really beginning to really like it. And again, it takes great And this was kind of a joke a couple of years ago when I was doing the morning show over at one O seven and we were talking about the fact that my co host Dakota, her husband would take pictures of the moon with his Samsung device. Look great. It's just so excited about the pictures of the moon. But how often am I going to go take pictures of the moon. And it's true, they look great on Android devices. iPhones not so much.
Speaker 3: That's because the Pixel devices have a and the Samsungs as well have a specific with specific models. They have a literal astrophotography mode where you get your phone on a stable surface or something and you do night sight and then a few seconds later the phones like, oh, you're doing astrophotography. Do you want me to switch to that mode? And you're like, yes, absolutely do it and you can take amazing astro pictures with that. Absolutely blew my mind the first time I did it.
Speaker 1: Now, Scott intoson one thing you can do with the Android device, if you're thinking about it, is easily connected to your Windows eleven PC. If you've got a Windows eleven PC, you can get your text messages on your computer, you can get your phone calls connected on your computer, you could read your mail messages. So again that's something to take a look at. And I went ahead and set it up, and I was like, Okay, that's kind of cool. You know, I do wish you could organize the apps that way, But no, it looks like that's something that went away some years ago.
Speaker 4: Microsoft phone Link, I think it is called.
Speaker 1: Yeah, phone link is what it is.
Speaker 3: You've got that for Windows ten as well. Oh not just eleven, it's also Windows ten. The other nice thing about like, yes, the initial setup, getting your apps where you want them, everything like that, it's a pain. I'm not going to disagree. But once you have that done, when your phone does the it's backup, all those positions, everything like that are saved as part of the backup. So say that phone had an unfortunate accident with gravity or something, or you know, a drink out spilled on it. Nick got fried, You get your new one. Sign in your Google account says hey, do you want to restore from this latest backup which it stores up in the Google drive. Say yes, pulls it all down. Apps go in the same places you all, only you have to do it once.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 1: That is good news. Didn't even know about that one all. Are we gonna take another quick break. We got a couple of more listener questions. We'll get to coming up with tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Matt.
Speaker 4: Jones, and I am Slick. You can subscribe to the show iTunes, speaker tuned in, Spotify, YouTube Music, and Amazon Music.
Speaker 1: You got them all, and now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 4: Questions. Oh, we get questions. We get lots and lots and lots and lots of questions. We don't have the jingle signed to sing it myself.
Speaker 1: It's a good tingle. We AI create one for us. I'll do that for next week.
Speaker 4: It's everywhere. It's everywhere.
Speaker 1: Matt, you got a question that you you kind of thought was a good one.
Speaker 3: Sure, Sorry, just had to reboot from my brain breaking from digesting. We do an AI jingle. Carry has a question coming in. I think I'm dumbfounded by my Wi Fi hotspot situation. I've been using my phone hotspot, but apparently my unlimited hotspot is limited, so I run out and can't watch TV. I'm struggling here trying to figure out figured it out. I'm told that t mobile is a thingy I would need, but I can't get it. What it is, I'm not sure and maybe somebody else makes this little thingy that I can buy.
Speaker 1: Question is what do I need?
Speaker 3: So this comes across as a two part of question, but it's actually not, Harry. What you are talking about is actually something that I noticed with my own cell phone plan the other day. I have Google Five's Unlimited Unlimited super Duper Premium Plus and it lists on there, you know, unlimited this, unlimited that, and then you'll see unlimited hotspot data with that tiny little asterisks, and I can never say that word correctly, so I'm hoping I was close enough. But when you go down and you read the terms and conditions for that, most of them what they say with their you know, quote unlimited hotspot is you get fifty gigs or twenty five gigs or whatever your plan is saying, you get of, you know, like five G hotspot data. And then when you go over that, it's not that you lose that data, it's that that data then and they'll usually list it is then like throttle down to like two hundred something killabytes per second.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: Now for comparison's sake, five G you're I mean five G. Last time I checked on my phone was approaching like gig speeds that's like gigabit per second, and then you go from gigabit to megabit to kill a bit, so as you can see that as a drastic drop off. So this is not so much what thingy you need to find, it's you need to check your cell phone plan with your provider and see what type of hotspot data limits you have, because even the unlimited ones aren't truly unlimited. If I use over X amount of mobile data on my quote unlimited plan, I still get data. It is an unlimited amount of data. I just don't get unlimited data at that speed. So the reason you can't watch the TV is because the it has gone from a fire hose to a trickling, kinked garden hose. Yeah, and you're trying to move the same amount of data through it.
Speaker 1: Is there any service out there that we could think of that will just give you the Wi Fi features that somebody wants to watch, Hulu, Peacock, whatever twenty four to seven could be able to do? Or is that just I mean, would starlink be something like a solution.
Speaker 3: Maybe starlink would be a solution for that, depending on what plan you got. I know they've been trying to slash prices to get people down to that. The one that I honestly do with my phone is hey, going back to what we're just talking about with Google Pixels. With my Google Fi membership, I get a free Google VPN hard cooked into my phone, so I will turn on my Google VPN and jump on like Panera's free WiFi or you know, the McDonald's around the corner or something like that, because traditionally, speaking is the security guy. When you jump on free Wi Fi, it's not it's not going to be secure if there's no password and you can just hop on. There's a whole bunch of things that people can do if you then jump on that and you're behind your own VP and you're adding in your own layer of security with that, and that cuts down the amount of data you're using because it's not you're not using your mobile data plan. You're using somebody else's free Wi Fi, right.
Speaker 1: And that's if they're nearby. If you're in the stick, you're you're somewhere, that's yeah, what can you're out.
Speaker 3: And all you have is a cell signal. I mean your your hands are kind of tied there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're gonna be difficult on that one. So uh yeah, so there is no thinging that we know that we know. I like the the description of thigging slick. How do you watch your your shows? Because I know you've always kind of gone intenna.
Speaker 4: Generally, yes, antenna, but there are some streaming stuff that I do. But first time, we say, Matt, I'm so glad you you explained this whole unlimited thing. Thank you, thank you for it was because yeah, like like he said that there's an asterisk.
Speaker 3: There, it's unlimited kind of yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Now I'm doing the standard Cox thing as well as the free Wi Fi hotspots kind of thing. I don't I don't even think I get close because I'm so cheap to my uh my limit. We are we getting a terabyte tearabyte in a half now generally with internet service providers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think or even two two terabytes. Yeah, I remember what I can't pay for tabytes?
Speaker 5: That was it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I've been I've been doing all the freebies. I've been doing the you know, well, well freak three bees and there's this free v and then there's a Pluto and Zumo and two.
Speaker 1: Bright We see that's three free v is h Amazon Amazon, Yeah, yeah, you know, see I was thinking. See I was thinking of the same thing of doing, you know, cutting the cord. And you know, I'm paying a lot of money to Exfinity, and we've got a company coming out now called ting in my area that is providing fiber and it's like eighty five bucks a month, I guess, uh for uh for quite a bit of bandwidth. But see, I'm one of those that I put it on. I leave the TV on all night. It's kind of I go to sleep to it. It's just the way that I've been, you know, raised in the whole bit. So I got it on a Hallmark all night, and I'm thinking, okay, if I was, if I was to have it on you know, the Golden Girls, yes, or the whole Mark the Golden Girls.
Speaker 3: And I'm I'm sorry to interrupt, but you fall asleep to Big City Girl goes into the Country and Mary's the apple cider orchard owner that she went to high school with, or some pumpkin spice flavor of the Sometimes I fall asleep to that channel, Yes I do. But I wake up judging you so hard. I'm not even gonna be polite about it, man, Like.
Speaker 1: But I wake up the freezer, like, yeah, it's feel good TV.
Speaker 4: But like, I mean, like Walmart, come I've been waiting for.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing I'm so used to that if I have the TV on all night, that's eating a bandwidth. So I mean, you know, whether I'm watching that or Comedy Central or whatever, I'm eating up the bandwidth. I'm thinking I'm gonna go through that pretty quick. So again, that's gonna be a big adjustment.
Speaker 4: How much you're paying now though.
Speaker 1: Two hundred and sixty eight dollars a month. Whoh yeah, And I've got.
Speaker 3: I pay sixty five bucks a month for a century Link fiber coming directly into my house, gig up, gig down, and I have no caps.
Speaker 1: But do you watch you have any uh like television that come with that too? I don't need it.
Speaker 3: If I want television, I'll sign up for YouTube TV. And that's what I'm thinking, Yeah, YouTube tea. And I only sign up for YouTube TV for one very specific time of the year. And that specific time of the year is gloriously called football season.
Speaker 1: Ah yeah. See for me, it's October on Hallmark because that's when the holiday movies start appearing.
Speaker 4: We go, it's always going back to the Hallmark channel.
Speaker 3: Okay, and just like, can you just see him waving the red flag in front of me? Just like, oh Tooro, come on, I know you wanna.
Speaker 4: So so with the with Ting, here's I do have a question. And if you can't answer it now, Andy, it's cool because you're just getting you're considering or just getting started with them. I have had meetings with Ting, and Ting was purchased by two cows, right right right, okay, so I'm interested in finding out, you know later, probably your experiences with tying, the features all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're basically tearing up the street right now, putting in their fiber and they've already marked in my box they marked by the street, so they're going to be doing that. And they've got an introductory where you know, first month is free. Then after I think I want I'm not quite. I think it's like eighty five bucks a month, which is about half of what I'm paying right now just for that for the internet. And then you have to then you add if I switch to YouTube TV, I'm saving about one hundred bucks right there. So again and then there's certain deals. That's why I think He'sfinity is doing a lot of deals right now, as well as Cox Cable going to be doing deals to bundle services so that you stay with them, so you'll get a better deal because you know you're paying. You pay Hulu Disney sixteen seventeen bucks, you pay Netflix seventeen bucks. You know that all adds up.
Speaker 3: So it's the new Cox Communications discount. Please don't leave us. Yeah, but Andy, I did just check it for you. According to Gemini AI, there we go, looping back to AI and breaking my brain. Paying Internet does not impose data caps on its fiber Internet plans, and they do not have contracts or termination fees as they do not believe in hidden fees.
Speaker 4: So you can come a go as you please on this.
Speaker 3: That's what it looks like, and I mean, that's that's what I have with Century Link. I'm not locked into a plan.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 3: When I signed up, I got a price lock for life guarantee as long as I'm there. It is sixty five bucks a month. Now, Central Link has started changing over to Quantum. I have not gotten looped into that yet, but from people in my neighborhood have cut over saying it's the same thing. It is, just it's splitting off. So Quantum is the fiber business and century Link spectrum that's the other side of the house, right, Yeah, it's it's you know, sixty five sixty seven bucks a month, come and go as you please, no data caps. The only thing that I hope they change is the way that your your modem authenticates to the divide to like the network. Is this technology called PPPoE right yea where your your stuff comes into your house with a v land tag and setting that up for like your own firewall and stuff is like there's a point where it's like I gotta call in, I gotta get my password, I got to break this drywall with my forehead, like I just I will eventually get this working. And then you know, three beers and six hours later you're like, you know what, their router's not that bad. That's fine, that's that works. I'll just throw in some access points in the house and call it a day.
Speaker 1: I'm done, you know what. That's And that's the thing with the cable companies, then the nickel and diming, and I you know, I have friends at work for for the big cable companies. And you know, I've I've appreciated the serve Us, but the nickel and diming. You know, you want a DVR box, you're gonna pay for that. For each box you want you have that's also a converter. Oh, you also gotta pay for the service for the DVR. You gotta pay taxes to the city. You gotta pay a sports tax, even though you maybe don't watch any sports channels. Uh, there's a lot of little things that when you look at your bill and you break it down and you just say, wow, this is just it's just a little crazy. And from what I understand, you go YouTube TV, you don't pay for that d V DVR service. It's part of the YouTube YouTube TV, you know feature, and you get local channels as well.
Speaker 3: Now I don't know, well, oh really mostly you get your local channels.
Speaker 1: Oh well, now, what's what's gonna be better? Hulu TV that does local as well, or YouTube TV.
Speaker 4: Here's my problem because now that there's me TV Tunes right and that's on channel four point four, right, I want to the service I will consider will give me all of my digital subchannels, or I don't want you because I've got to have me TV tunes all right, got to and script news well, script news extreme right.
Speaker 5: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: My main thing would be do you get Fox eleven because you know I'm on Fox eleven. I want to record myself on the DVR.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm pretty sure with YouTube tv that you can just check it before you sign up. And the other thing is if you sign up for YouTube tv, you get a seven day free trial.
Speaker 4: I got two weeks.
Speaker 3: I got I got seven days because they caught me leaving and coming back and leaving and coming back, and they listen, man, either commit to the relationship or break up with us.
Speaker 4: Now, I will commit to you.
Speaker 3: I will commit to you from August through February and then we're done. But that's the other great thing is YouTube tv now also has NFL Red Zone and NFL Sunday Ticket Perfect can actually bundle together. As my team is not in town, my wife's team is on the other side of the country. I was like, oh, so we can watch the Raiders Ravens game and fight here instead of it like.
Speaker 1: A sports bar. That's so much better for everybody. We got to take another quick break, we come back. We got more of tech talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Matt.
Speaker 4: Jones, and I am Sick. We're on ex tech talk Radio as well as Facebook. Look for tech talkers on Facebook.
Speaker 6: And now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 1: So we decided to well, we came back all of a sudden, Sean was able to come back, so we'd make it an all Sean segment of the show. What do you think, Matt slick?
Speaker 3: We do it.
Speaker 4: It's the segments.
Speaker 5: So drones are wise your pick and wise no. So I'll take one of the listener questions because you guys. Earlier, Mikey sent us a note via Facebook asking is a four core three point four gig processor, sir, than a fourteen cores two point four gigaharts processor. He's getting a system together to create some music and wasn't sure what to think. So that's a loaded question because one is fast in its own right and the other one is fast in its own right also, So you have to look at it like this, right, you have four cores. If you have four cores, there are four lays I think of think of like traffic lanes. Right, there's more traffic could go across those four lanes. But they can go at three point four gigahart.
Speaker 1: Speed, so they go at a higher speed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So you're if you're doing a ton of audio editing with tons of instruments and tons of post processing and tons of effects and tons of plugins, right, you're gonna jam up those four lanes, right. But if you add ten more lanes of traffic but they go slightly slower, you're gonna be able to process a lot more information at the same time. It's just you're not gonna see too much of an impact from a two point four to three point four gig. So it all depends on what you're trying to do.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, creating music though that there's going to be a lot of different different things that are going to be a part of that.
Speaker 5: Right, So if I were to pick, I would pick the one of the fourteen course because it's going to allow you to do more across If you have a digital audio you know, a daw a digital audio work station, and you're running a ton of plugins, right, this is going to help you not bottlenanking machine.
Speaker 1: All right, But all right, well, what if you could overclock that two point Because a lot of people they forget about overclocking. If you could overclock the three point four, or you overclock the two point four to make it of a three gigor Hurtz processor, you'd be in pretty good shape with that one, wouldn't you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, overclocking the two point four probably to three or three point two would probably benefit you. Uh, you just have to at that point worry about the heat. You know, you have to worry about your cooling. So hopefully that answers Mikey's question. Opening the floor to you guys.
Speaker 4: To let you know. Yeah, not a fan of overclocking, but I will say this because I've dealt with this a little bit in the past. Depending on what software you're using, check to see what they recommend in regards to hardware, because sometimes you'll be using software. Let's say you have fourteen cores, You'll using software that only takes advantage of six.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, good point.
Speaker 4: It's happened all right.
Speaker 3: From my side, I'm on the opposite side of the fences, Slake, I've overclocked every machine I've had since I think like two thousand and six. In terms of heat care for your CPU, it used to be doing a liquid cooling solution was super expensive super involved. Now you can get the with they're called AIO all in one liquid coolers and it's a what's called a closed loop system, so it's just it comes in a box. It's got the part that you set the heat sinc That you set on top of your processor, just like anything else, and then there's two little raided tubes coming out of it that run to a radiator that most towers now have a space built in for three fins. Two or three fins usually go on top of that, and you've got a liquid cooling system that will easily take care of the heat concerns from overclocking. If you're in a laptop, that's a completely different kettle of fish, and you have to be careful with overclocking there because laptops natively are not going to be as irmly regulatable as a tower, and there is a chance you could cook something if you're not careful.
Speaker 1: You burn your legs too. You don't want to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why for the longest time, Apple stopped referring to MacBook pros as laptops and as mobile computers because they did not want you to put them on your lap because you would burn your lap.
Speaker 1: Don't do that, all right, listen we missing. We have run out of time for this week. Thank you so much for tuning again, and hopefully you'll be able to get with us next week. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird.
Speaker 4: I'm not Jones, then, I am Slick. Tech Talk Radio dot com is the website. Thank you.
Speaker 1: M