Speaker 1: Welcome to dorky Out. My name is Sonia Mansfield, and I want you to remember one thing you asked for this Joining me is my podcast sing sister from another mister and the co host of Dorkying Out, Margot d Hello, my friend.
Speaker 2: Hello, my friend.
Speaker 3: This is a different Roblow video than I thought that came out at that time.
Speaker 1: There's a little snippet I think of that video in this movie.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but it's a little different.
Speaker 1: We are dorking out about nineteen nineties bad Influence, directed by Curtis Hansen, who's making his third appearance on this show. He directed The Hand that Rocks The Cradle and The River Wild both.
Speaker 2: Oh right right, and La Confidential is that his Yes.
Speaker 1: He won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay and was nominated for Best Picture Best Director for La Confidential.
Speaker 3: For this new new and they all seem to think like I'm reading from the trivia like all these years later, like that's such an underrated film, like this really, I'm like, no, it was rated just about.
Speaker 1: It might be perfectly rated. Yes, And it's written by David Cope. I think it's how you pronounce it or kep.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He has written a few movies that y'all have probably heard of that we've covered on the show. Jurassic Park, Death Becomes Her, The Paper, the Mummy, you know, just a few little blockbusters. You've probably heard of it.
Speaker 2: He has a good life. I have a feeling, yes, he has a good life.
Speaker 1: He most recently wrote Black Bag, that movie with Michael Fassbender and Kate Blanchette, which is really good. It's streaming on Peacock if y'all haven't seen it, and it's directed by Steven Soderbergh. This movie stars Rob Lowe, James Spader, Lisa Zaan who that's Billy Zane's sister, Yeah, and Christian Clemenson. Marsha Cross is in there in a small role.
Speaker 3: There is a scene Marsha Crosse has the There's something about Mary? What's that movie that Cameron Diaz Did's that.
Speaker 2: What it's called?
Speaker 4: Is there something about Mary?
Speaker 2: Something? Mary?
Speaker 3: There's a scene where Marsha Cross has that same bang going for her and I laughed, so fucking foe did.
Speaker 4: I almost grabbed a screenshot and say I did too.
Speaker 3: I know I almost did the same thing, y'all know when you see the movie almost maybe I'll I'm in the middle of watching it again.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll take another screenshot of it. But yeah, so did you.
Speaker 4: See this movie in the theater?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I love the laugh.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: At the time, we should say that Rob Low was in the middle of a sex scandal and he was caught.
Speaker 2: He went to the Democratic.
Speaker 3: Convention I think was it in New Orleans in eighty eight, and he had sex with two women, not too women, sorry, a woman and a child who was sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yes, and this hurt his career.
Speaker 3: It would probably be a tougher punishment now, but for thirty years ago, it was like, well, where were her parents? Where were her parents? And that's like where everybody gets obsessed. But yeah, I thought that, and I thought he's a fucking slee So I'm not going to watch this.
Speaker 1: I saw it anyway, because okay, it played at.
Speaker 2: My movie theater and you couldn't help it.
Speaker 1: And I couldn't help it, and I just you know, as we've established even then, I loved a cheesy nineties thriller. But yeah, he there was a sex tape that came out and it had a sixteen year old girl and.
Speaker 2: And the news played it all the time.
Speaker 3: Yes, played clime until somebody said to them, yeah, hi, that's considered you know, child sexual assault or ul child did but we said child porn at the time, but it would be sexual assault of a minor on film.
Speaker 2: Maybe not do that so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're right. Everyone was like, well, where's her mother, where's her parents?
Speaker 2: You know? And they wasn't it sold? Didn't people sell? Didn't they sell that tape?
Speaker 4: I don't remember, but that definitely happened.
Speaker 2: It played it on the Alex Bennett Show. God, yeah, so gross. I didn't go that day. I was like, no, y'all can do that without me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a whole thing.
Speaker 1: He wasn't charged with anything, but eventually the family like sued him and they actually got some money.
Speaker 2: So yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the punishment was maybe we don't want to watch your movies, but it was really for a little while he was working.
Speaker 2: He did fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's totally fine. I think he met his wife on the side of this.
Speaker 2: Movie, a makeup artist.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he has kids.
Speaker 1: He did Parks and Wreck, which he was so funny, and did beyond what was it, Beyond the Cabra Laba.
Speaker 3: Beyond the cap Yeahalabra, and then He also did the stand which I was listening to the Stephen kingcass If you'll we'll talk about this at the end.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he was fine.
Speaker 3: He's fine, he's fine, and he's let me say he is fine.
Speaker 4: He's Rob Low is very handsome.
Speaker 1: This movie is very interesting because really, like, if you think of Rob Loow now and you think of James Spader now, these roles are reversed. Like James Spader is playing the like nice guy who makes bad choices and Rob Low is playing the bad influence of the title.
Speaker 4: I think it makes sense for them to.
Speaker 1: Swap roles, but I like that they didn't because Rob Low is actually really good at playing a psycho.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was really good at playing a total sleeeze who would take advantage of a woman in a second given the opportunity.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. So this movie is bananas. You texted me and you were like, bananas likes. This movie is b ana nas bananas. So let's go through it.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: It starts with like, of course, because it's the nineties, it opens with a naked woman, a naked woman in her kiddies.
Speaker 2: That's what I wrote out of my notes. Like, immediately we get titties.
Speaker 1: Boobs, y'all, there's boobs right away, rated r boobs, and rob Blow's like she's sleeping, and of course she's sleeping in that way that everyone does in the movies where the sheet covers her her vadge, but her boobs are all out. And then Rob Blow's like going through the room. He's collecting all this, like removing all traces of himself, and he he sneaks out and he like throws away a duffel bag with all his shit to you know, hide his evidence. And then we don't see Roblow for a little while. Then we meet James Spader and he's playing like the meek glasses nerdy James Spader.
Speaker 3: Who's almost like Mann James Spanner, but he got a he got a promotion or something I just copped in my head.
Speaker 2: Sorry, we covered mannequin. Fucking love mannequin, by the way, you do? You love it?
Speaker 4: You're Manicul's biggest fan.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 1: So he's he's walking around his office. He's like, I'm missing an important file for my work, and he like goes to confront a coworker that he knows fucked with it, and the coworkers like maybe I did, Maybe I didn't. What are you gonna do about it? And he doesn't do anything about it because he's kind of a pussy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: He just goes about his business. He walks into his office and Marsha Cross is there, Marsha Cross from melrose Place.
Speaker 3: And the greatest, one of the greatest scenes in television I've ever witnessed in my entire life was doctor Kimberly what was your last name?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what was there? I'm gonna look it up right now. She had a brain tumor or something.
Speaker 3: And at the very end of it, and I think it was the end of a season, she takes off her win and then she's got Shaw, kimber aptor Kimberly Shaw. She takes the wig off, and then she's got like all jacked up head because she'd had all these surgeries and stuff.
Speaker 2: She's actually a good actor.
Speaker 3: She's not given anything to do here, but she's doing a great job of it. And I'm always like it. I'm like, oh my god, she's so beautiful, she's so I love that hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's absolutely gorgeous. And that scene you described in melrose Place, I was all in on Melroe's place back in the day and al point I jumped ship, but like I was there for all of this. When she took off the wig and you see the scar, I flip my fucking lid.
Speaker 3: I was like, it was I'm telling y'all, like jen Xers at that time that watched that show, it was It's it's very it's a totem pole in our pop culture, Like that's like a.
Speaker 1: Thing, yes, But in this one, she's playing like a fiance who, you know, just can't wait to get married, can't wait to have a baby, you know. And as she's talking about it, he's like, oh, my stomach, Like he's clearly she's given him an ulcer.
Speaker 2: Just just existing.
Speaker 1: By just existing, by being a normal person who wants to marry her fiance and have babies.
Speaker 3: And she has like like serious questions for him, like should we do it in October or November? Because I really liked And he's like, oh, like it's no big deal, and I'm like, actually, that's a huge deal that you know. Yeah, but like these two people are not going to get married. I mean, I'm like, do they even see each other ever? No?
Speaker 1: Because he continued he continually blows her off throughout the movie until something else happens, and we'll get to that in a minute. Yeah, But like I think the movie wants us to think that Ruth is like a stuck up.
Speaker 2: High maintenance we're not supposed to like her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was like, she's fine, there's nothing wrong with her.
Speaker 3: She's just existing, like she's doing well at her job, and she's dating a guy and engaged to a guy she really likes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I guess she comes from a rich background. So that's where the agitation comes in, where he's like, I'm never gonna make enough money to impress.
Speaker 2: Her and blah blah blah. And it's like that's a you problem.
Speaker 4: Too, yes exactly.
Speaker 1: So instead of you know, going out with his fiance, he decides to sneak out of work and grab an after grab a beer at some local bar and some woman comes in. She's like, I can't buy my wallet my bar, and so he buys her a drink. He's just trying to be nice and he's like, see, you're having the same problem. I am hiding in a bar, you know, instead of working, and then her like this shitty, like abusive boyfriend shows up and she's like very eighties looking, oh eighties and just like, you know, don't walk away from me when I'm talking to youse, you know that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: He's one of the guys that would have been in the fraternity in Revenge of the Nerds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what he exactly looks like.
Speaker 4: It's so shitty.
Speaker 1: And she's like's with Stan and ogre ogre you asshole, Yes, ogre u asshole. And you know she's like this drip. She calls him a drip. This drip, just Bobby a drink, right.
Speaker 3: Everyone shits on him, like right away, and I was like, you have eyeballs. He's James Spader, like he's super cute and he did fucking buy you a drink out of the goodness of his heart just to be a decent person.
Speaker 2: He's not hitting on you or anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And instantly the guy's like, I'm gonna kick your ass. And Rob Low shows up and breaks a beer bottle and threatens him, and the guy's like, let's get out of here, and they like, you know, run off, and before James Spader can say anything, robb Lolow leaves. He goes back to his We get to see his apartment where he I don't know. They make it sound like he's got like a problem with buying things that he doesn't need. He has like a video camera with a fancy TV. This is the nine. This is actually a big deal, big deal to have a video camera. People didn't have them on their phones. This wasn't a thing. You know, He's got a fancy TV. His apartment's a little strange. The layout of it, to me, doesn't really make sense. But that's fine, whatever you do. You.
Speaker 3: I think he got into that apartment with like two other people and they eventually moved out, and that's why he's there.
Speaker 4: It's like not really decorated.
Speaker 1: The layout is weird.
Speaker 3: It's like it's got It doesn't match his personality at all.
Speaker 4: No, not at all.
Speaker 1: And it's it's very cold and I don't there's like a huge like window made out of like glass cube things, so it's like a view but not really right. It's very strange. His brother shows up. His brother is named Pismo.
Speaker 2: Beach's Bugs Buddy.
Speaker 1: Yes here, I am Pismo Beach Clams. I can eat.
Speaker 2: I love that one.
Speaker 1: My sister and I say that to each other all the time. Pismo beach should have made that left. Turn it albut querky and he shows up and he you know. It turns out this is an older brother who just wants to sit around and like smoke pot and I was like, I get it. Apparently he's had some sort of run in with the law, and he is a very nervous fellow. He's he scoots off and then James Spader goes for a run. I guess he's lost his wallet lost quote unquote his wallet. He goes for run. He walks along the pier and he runs into rob Blow again and he's like, is.
Speaker 2: It aantamonic appear?
Speaker 4: I think it is?
Speaker 2: Ye, ruthless people? What ruthless people?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yes, Bette Midler kicking Danny DeVito in the ass.
Speaker 2: We love that movie.
Speaker 1: We do. We did an episode on it. Go back and watch it. He runs into Robb Blow and he's like, hey, you're the You're the guy that smashed the beer bottle and saved me earlier.
Speaker 4: And so they decided to go get a drink.
Speaker 1: And while they're having a drink, Roblow is like total Manisphere before Manisphere existed. Yeah, Like he's totally just like.
Speaker 4: You need to be the alpha male.
Speaker 1: You need to, you know, push that guy around at work. He's doing that to you because he thinks he can, and because you're a beta because.
Speaker 3: And you date women with high body counts, even though I have a high BodyCount.
Speaker 2: But that's okay because I'm a.
Speaker 1: Dude, because I'm a dude Jesus slut, and I'm a stud.
Speaker 4: It's it is. It's all of those things.
Speaker 1: Before, before they became Manisphere, before it became red Pill Talk, this was just roblow and bad influence.
Speaker 4: Then they go to a club.
Speaker 1: They go to a club, if you will, and there's like, you know, some band that we're I don't know if we're supposed to think that band is cool called the Nymphs.
Speaker 4: I don't know who the Nymphs.
Speaker 2: Are, but wow, that song is terrible that they're singing.
Speaker 3: I think the outfit is cool. I love the outfits. I love the costuming here. I mean this is what I remember from nineteen ninety. Yes, like this is what like sexy twenty something people look like.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh that's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's also like this movie came out in ninety, so that means it's filmed in eighty nine. This is like right at that cusp of like it's not quite what we all think of for the nineties, so it's still got that eighties sheen to it. Yes, exactly that, and you'll see it all over Marcia Cross's hair.
Speaker 2: When we good, we will definitely post that.
Speaker 3: I'll post the Facebook group, you'll post it in Instagram.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll put it on Instagram and uh and Blue Sky for you all because it is.
Speaker 4: It is a site. It's a thing of beauty, it really is.
Speaker 1: So they go to the club and they the clerb and they.
Speaker 2: See is this the one with David Keveny by the way.
Speaker 1: Yes, David du Coveny's in there wearing some glasses blink and you miss him.
Speaker 2: Like I think, But yeah, I think it's it's pre Red Shoe Diaries. It is pre x Files, early tokeny.
Speaker 4: I love that you went with Red Shoe Diaries first.
Speaker 2: I loved the Red Shoe Diaries. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: They meet some women.
Speaker 1: One of them is Claire, played by Lisa's Say.
Speaker 3: And I worked with her sister and I can't remember her first name. Oh, but we talked about this when we talked about Titanic, because.
Speaker 2: Billy's ain, Yeah, but I go ahead.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. She looked like my sister. My sister's original name is Lisa. She doesn't call herself that anymore. But I looked at her one day and I said, oh, Lisa, and she just stared at me because why did you call me that? I'm sorry, you looked like my sister. And then we kept talking, and then somebody later on like, do you know who she is? Did you see the last name Zane?
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, it's not a.
Speaker 2: Common last name, but okay, they're like no, no.
Speaker 1: I immediately was like, Zaye any relation to Billy's.
Speaker 3: Ay exactly, I know, I say, but I guess she got that a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well she she's she's cute. She's very cute in the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, real pretty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's real pretty.
Speaker 1: They meet these women, uh, wherever they go with Rob low by the way, he lies about shit all the time for no apparent reason. I mean, it's just it's because he's what he does. He's a psychopath. But like he's pretending he's Spanish. I think when they go to this bar for some reason, he's pretending his name is I forget what he pretends.
Speaker 4: His name is. But maybe.
Speaker 1: Let's just say that it's Don Juan DeMarco. And then he introduces James Spader's character his name because Michael, but he introduces him as Dominique for some years dominic or something like that, and they like they hang out with these girls. Eventually, like Michael's like, I'm going to get the fuck out of here, and he just leaves.
Speaker 3: Okay because the other girl, by the way that he's with, Lisa Zane is with is Perry. Oh, Perry is the last time I can't remember. She was Billy Idol's girlfriend for like ten or fifteen years. Oh, she was in his videos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Billy.
Speaker 4: Idol gets it.
Speaker 1: He gets it looks all over the wold.
Speaker 2: So I still think Billy Idol's cool. He is very cool.
Speaker 1: We've talked about Billy Idol on our Wedding Singer episode. I believe I think he's.
Speaker 2: Very cool, and he's come up a few times.
Speaker 4: We like him here, we are like him.
Speaker 1: So there's a whole other thing where like they go out to a club again and the bartender is referring to Rob Loo's character by like a different name. Apparently this isn't a red flag for Michael at all for James Spader. He's like, that's fine, like whatever. They all go back to James Spader's place, and like there's a scene where like James Spader and Lisa's saying, like fall asleep on the couch and Alex is just staring at.
Speaker 4: Them while they sleep. It's like like a fucking psycho.
Speaker 1: She wakes up, they make out for a little while and then he tells her to basically go fuck James Spader instead, so she does, and he films it. And this is pre sexualized and videotape I believe so.
Speaker 3: But it's also like he this movie comes out in March of nineteen ninety, it's all over the media how he was caught on tape having sex with a one and a child and uh, yeah, so that I think that was part of the ick factor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's and it's hanging all over this movie. If you know this, if you know what was in the press at the same time this movie came out, it's pretty fucking icky. I'm like, maybe Rob Lo should have maybe barked out of this movie, or maybe not. Maybe this is he was like, now I'm gonna lean into it because.
Speaker 3: Apparently they Curtis Hansen was like, we're already halfway through this movie. We're already filming in Yeah, Like, if I have to fire him and then reshoot everything, it's gonna be prohibitively expensive, and maybe it'll just go away. Maybe by the time this film comes out, it won't be so bad and it just ratchet it up.
Speaker 1: Yes, And the movie was pretty well received. It actually got pretty decent reviews.
Speaker 3: I'm shocked at some of the reviews and then I'm like, but it's nineteen ninety.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So at some point, so Lisa Zane and James Spader they hook up. It has been filmed. Now James Spader wakes up in the morning, Roblo's watching the tape like you do watching tape of your friends. Fucking like, this's.
Speaker 2: A weird thing to look at. I would never watch another person.
Speaker 3: I would never watch that, never, never, never. We're good friends, but we're not that good friends, like I just it would just feel like a weird boundary, like I would just.
Speaker 1: Not Oh, okay, well there's a package coming for you. Oh don't watch it.
Speaker 2: Just it's gonna be our version of the ring, you know, Sonya boning some guy totally.
Speaker 1: That's something I would absolutely be doing, just boning some guy and recording it and send it to you.
Speaker 3: It could be the difference between men and women. I don't know, but it's just like for me, that's always.
Speaker 2: Like, ew why would you watch that? Do you know?
Speaker 3: That's also in Endless Love by the way, with Brookshields and what's his nuts?
Speaker 2: As and Tom Cruise is in the movie. And James Pader was in that movie.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, James, he shows do you remember that? He shows up and everything.
Speaker 2: There's no scene where she had sex with her you never seen.
Speaker 4: Oh, and her parents watch her mom, her.
Speaker 3: Mother, her mother watches and then she tells her later it was so beautiful, like what with you?
Speaker 1: Ew right, it's so gross. We should do an episode sometime on Tough Turf with James Spader and.
Speaker 3: Anytime and Kim Richards, right, we need to yes? Is it Kim Richards Sonya? The Kim Richards is in that movie? Thank you all right? Twelve foot long hair.
Speaker 1: What's funny is that movie has come up multiple times on like other film podcasts I listened to recently, It's come up like multiple times. I think f this movie just brought it up recently, and I was like, finally, some people are getting on the tough turf train all aboard. Some of us have been here all along.
Speaker 4: We we love a James Spader Kim Richards.
Speaker 3: Movie, Get On, I love a shitty eighties theme movie.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know.
Speaker 2: It was like there were biking movies.
Speaker 3: There were movies about dance, there were movies about Vietnam veterans. I mean there's all these like themes. Anyway, going back to that influence, Sorry, where's forever?
Speaker 2: Welcome to our world of having good conversation.
Speaker 1: We're talking about bad influence. So they He's like, maybe don't watch that tape, you know, turns it off.
Speaker 4: And then Roblo's like, it turns into a therapist.
Speaker 1: Tell me what you want, tell me what you're afraid of, tell me about your mother, like all these things. And James s Bader's like, well, I'm afraid of getting married, and Roblo's like, well that's easy, just don't and he's like, tell me what you want, and he's like, I want to be seeing your analyst like a nerd. Like It's so it's also very eighties to have like a plot point that is all about getting the big job, getting the promotion, like yeah, in the big account, Like those are huge plot points in movies in the eighties and in the early nineties. And he's like, I want to be senior analysts, which seems like so all right, yeah rude. They also like talk a little insider trading. That's something that comes up for like a hot second, and I was like, wow, what's a little insider trading between friends?
Speaker 2: I guess yeah.
Speaker 1: The other thing that happens is then James Spader goes into work. He's being so shitty to his assistant now because he's got like a new attitude. He's like call me Mick, not Michael, and he's like kind of shitty to her, and she's like, okay, like what's all this now? And he had an office earlier, but now he doesn't have an office. He's like sitting in a giant room behind I don't know what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's on a different floor. He's like in the Wall Street yeah something like that, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, I don't understand what's happening with his job. But that's James.
Speaker 2: Spader was in Wall Street. Shit, Oh my god, He's everything.
Speaker 1: James Spader's in everything, everything, y'all. He's a treasure. We should all be appreciate James Spader. Now you'll thank us, like do it. So he goes to the fancy dinner at his Beyonce's parents' house. It's like their anniversary party, and we see that like they're very rich.
Speaker 4: He shows up, you know, in.
Speaker 1: The tucks and he's there, and this is where we see Marcia Cross and her amazing bangs that are like hairsprayed just stick basically straight up coming.
Speaker 3: It's it's something about Mary All with like very long red hair, and she's a it's again once again, a very beautiful woman.
Speaker 2: She could sell it, but it's still like I I was a gog.
Speaker 3: I was like, who okay this Like that's also terrible and dated.
Speaker 1: It's very dated, but I also want for eighty five.
Speaker 3: I'd say, okay, yeah, it's accurate.
Speaker 4: It's accurate.
Speaker 1: Like I knew many women who wore.
Speaker 4: Their hair that way.
Speaker 1: I wore my hair super hair sprayed in the front, you know, all of those things. I don't know if mine looked quite like that, but I definitely saw so.
Speaker 2: She has all this gorgeous red hair that's very silky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she it's super super long and it's just like this plots on top of her head, this red it's so weird and so distracting.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, dude, you can't marry this woman. Your pictures will look terrible. Like what is she gonna do on her wedding day if she think this is fancy?
Speaker 1: Well this is why Roblo had to save him, you see. Yeah, he goes to the party and they're like, your friend is already here, and he's like, my friend, I don't have any friends. And it's Rob Loo who's telling everyone that he is Francois and he's got like a terrible French accent, going the whole I am for a swall. I work into Perry movies, Like it's pretty ridiculous. And he charms everybody and he then tells them that he's going to show them the new spot they're working on together, and I was like, again, what is James Spader's job that he's working on a spot for something? I was like, isn't he an analyst or is he a spat trader or now he's working on a spot on something? Like what is what is his job.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: So they played the tape and it's the sex tape, and of course the Marshacross's mother has there.
Speaker 4: She's like, marsh Across is like.
Speaker 1: Turn it up, like she's so upset, obviously, and the mother's like rewinding it and fast forwarding it.
Speaker 4: And because she doesn't know how how do.
Speaker 1: I stop this?
Speaker 2: I don't know how to use the remote.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't understand VCRs. This movie is not great to women.
Speaker 2: No, it is not.
Speaker 1: And I think we're supposed to think it's funny. We're supposed to think it's funny that he did that, and.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, that's called revenge porn. And you're also like, you're you're putting Claire in the middle of that.
Speaker 2: But is that what she was okay with?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just I don't want to watch people fucking I'm at a I'm at a party, a nice dinner party.
Speaker 2: I just want steak and mashed potatoes. And I think you.
Speaker 1: And I have a very different idea of what a good party is.
Speaker 3: I think it's just like that's it's right, It's just it's just shitty.
Speaker 1: I will tell you when my twenties. I absolutely went to a party, walked into a room and there was porn on one of the screens.
Speaker 2: I made.
Speaker 3: I've been to porn parties. I mean, I've been to parties where people look at porn. But I'm just saying, like, this is supposed to be a fancy dinner party.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. No, these are adults. These are adults. These are great as humans. They are not sitting around watching porn. I left that party in five seconds. I was like, no, this is the party is not for me because I'm I'm a prude.
Speaker 3: I'm totally prudish, but also I also it's just for me. It's like, is any woman in this film gonna be treated with even a modicum of respect?
Speaker 2: Nope?
Speaker 3: No, like they have a brain, like they're you know, they should be listened to, or you know, just like they're a human being.
Speaker 1: No, No, they're all plot points.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So they they leave, you know, the dad is like I'm gonna kick your ass, and he's like by and they get in a car and drive off, and then they go to another clerb and run into Claire again. He lies to her again, James Spader, He's like I'm not Dominic. I'm my name is Kirk. Now he's saying his name is Kirk. Why I don't know, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: And I miss that this movie can be really confusing.
Speaker 4: It is very confused.
Speaker 1: Well it's because the club, I guess.
Speaker 3: Because it's like highly choreographed, right, Like there's like dancers that are doing a whole Yeah, like it looks like a Janet Jackson video.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 3: I'm expecting like Paula Abdul and the Cat to show up hits a tractor, you know they Yeah, they're And so at one point, like James Spader and Lisa Zaying are like making out and like Alex who just he likes to watch man.
Speaker 1: He's up on the balcony like just like Burr with his binoculars, basically watching them make out. And if they made this movie now Alex and Michael would fuck. They would fuck too. But like that's nothing.
Speaker 3: That would be the element you would throw in there that I'd be like, Okay.
Speaker 2: Now we're onto something.
Speaker 3: This makes more sense, yeah, because why is he following this jackass who just beats up people and lies constantly and is just running away from places like this is not a good friend.
Speaker 4: No, they want to fuck each other.
Speaker 1: That's what it really is. And but you know, it's nineteen ninety and we're not going to do that. And that's too bad because it would have been really good. So they leave this party and then they go to like a burger joint to get food. For some reason, James Spader now is wearing a rabbit mask.
Speaker 4: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: And Rob Loo decides to rob a burger joint just for funsies, Like he's like, that'll be fun, let's.
Speaker 4: Just rob places.
Speaker 1: So then they like rob a burger joint, they go and they rob a liquor store. Why.
Speaker 4: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I have no idea why.
Speaker 1: Like for fun, that's fun, right, show Terrifying people, yeah, shoving a gun in their face, making them piss themselves, stealing you know, twenty dollars from a register. So fun. And then they decide to go by Mike James Spader's shitty co worker's house and beat the shit out of him for you know, now, to be fair, that guy is an asshole, but still we don't assault people, like, come on, get another job, yeah, seriously, just get another job or fucking be a tattletale and tell your.
Speaker 2: Boss like, yeah, that's this guy's been shitty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so stupid.
Speaker 1: He goes into the office the next day and his hand is all fucked up because he, you know, he has been kicking his coworker's ass the night before, and the ladies are like talking around the coffee machine and they're like, oh, it's so crazy. Somebody beat up our shitty coworker, Like, who would do such a thing? Oh, James Spader, what happened to your hand? Oh your poor hand? Like, ladies, these things are related.
Speaker 4: Yes, they don't put it together. You know, Hey that coche work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not. The coworker he super hates got the shit kicked out of him last night and his hand is all fucked up.
Speaker 2: Do the mask and people know that they don't like each other.
Speaker 1: Yes, So he he leaves and he goes home. Now he's just doing a shitty job. He's leaving his work all the time. He goes home and he tells Alex like, we can't, we can't be friends anymore, basically like I don't think you're very nice, And Roblo's like, I'm doing all this shit for you. You're the one who didn't want to get married. You're the one that has a shitty coworker that you know sabotages you at work, and you want to be a senior analyst at your job that involves stocks or ads. I can't tell the difference, like he So he's like, we can't be friends anymore. At some point, Roblo goes into James Spader's apartment and just fucking takes everything and like, I don't know. Then he like confronts him and he's like, you could just keep my stuff and we'll call it even, And boy, Roblo's feelings are really hurt.
Speaker 2: Then he gets very butt hurt, as the boys like to say, Yes.
Speaker 1: He gets very very butt hurt. He's like, how dare you not appreciate all the things I'm doing for you? So James Spader goes to stay with his pothead brother and Pismo Hipismo, a grown man named Pismo.
Speaker 4: I'm going to assume that's a nickname.
Speaker 1: And because I don't know if you have a brother named Pismo and then another one named Michael, seems like, yeah, they should both have ridiculous names. So he James Spader goes into work and then robb Loo calls again and he's like, hey, if you want your stuff, I left it in a box by a fucking oil well, go get it, which is not suspicious at all.
Speaker 4: Sure, I left your ship.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't even know why that's in the movie.
Speaker 2: It's there's a lot of this movie.
Speaker 1: I questioned this movie, by the way, is like, it's I think it's almost two hours long, or over two hours long.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna lie, yeah, it's a little too long.
Speaker 1: It absolutely needed to be cut.
Speaker 4: It's I'm gonna look it up right now. Let's see.
Speaker 1: Why don't you show me the runtime? Why does this take it so long? Sorry everybody, it is one hundred minutes. It doesn't feel like one hundred minutes.
Speaker 2: No, it feels like two hours.
Speaker 4: It feels like it's two hours.
Speaker 1: So he goes out to a fucking oil well and gets his shit. Then he goes back to his apartment and some of his stuff is back, including a TV and his video camera, and there's a tape. So he plays it and it's rob Low looking right into the camera and he's like, I want you to remember one thing you asked for this. I don't think he asked for this.
Speaker 2: But now he did not clearly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 1: Claire shows up and she's looking for James Spader and Rob Low. She goes into a room. He followed her into the room with a golf club and we don't see it, but we hear it. He beats the shit out of her with a golf club and kills her and kills her and it's pretty gross. Like when we finally do see, like there's blood everywhere. Claire did not deserve this. This is really fucked up again. This movie does not like women. It does not like women. So uh, James Spader like busts into the room and he sees that she's dead. Meanwhile, the whole time, like Michael is trying to get into the room to find Claire and all this Problo is just standing there like staring into the camera like a real psycho for like a really long time. It's very creepy. And then what does he do. Oh, he gets Pismo to come over. Poor Pismo. He just wants to stay in his room and smoke pot. And his brother just like yes, yes.
Speaker 2: Brother is leaving a very strange life.
Speaker 1: Yes brothers Like, hey, if you don't mind will you come over here and help me dump this body into.
Speaker 4: The tar pits?
Speaker 1: And he's tar pitched yeah, and he's like, I really rather stay on the smoke pot, but he does it anyway because that's what a good big brother does.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then James Spader goes back to work because he wants to pretend that everything's normal, and apparently he works right across the street from the tar pits, so he can see that the body is being recovered while he's at work, and his assistant is even like, I'm gonna get the fuck out of here now. I'm not working for you anymore. I'm getting out of here because he's a dick to her. Yeah, the body was recovered like in record time, Like yes, record time.
Speaker 4: Good good job cops.
Speaker 3: Well, also like aren't there people like isn't it a place where it's a tourist region?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Ye?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, that's what I hear.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm I never lived in that that region of California.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I went to school in Northern California, but I li bea tarpets. I feel it's like it's one of those things like when you live there, like at one point you go yes, it's like the Statue of Liberty here, like at some point you gotta just fucking go.
Speaker 2: Yeah I can see it, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Trying to hide a body and a popular tourist attraction was a way right choice.
Speaker 2: Like goes six flags. If you're going to do that, it.
Speaker 1: Just and then I dumped the body in the Matta Horne at Disney Like.
Speaker 2: Good job, clear thinking there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So for some reason they come up with this plan that they're gonna catch They're gonna somehow catch Rob Low And there's two.
Speaker 4: Things going on here.
Speaker 1: One James Spader goes back to his office again and talks to the world's worst security guard, who hands over it's good.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I had to go back because I left the room for a second. I came back like, wait, just cop, just give him a gun. Yes, it was at the secure guys on a cop. But he looks like a cop, like he's all dressed like it he's got it? Does he says, just hide it, put in your pants where it's aiming at your dick. Just do that now.
Speaker 1: It is so ridiculous. First of all, what is James Spader's job again? That they have armed security guards, like what is happening and also like that he's just like, well, if it was anyone else, I would say no, But since it's you, James Spader, take my gun, I'm sure you won't do anything.
Speaker 4: Illegal with it, like so stupid.
Speaker 1: And then Pismo in the meantime has figured out like there's another He follows Rob Loow into another clerb where he's hanging out with a woman and he wants to like get his fingerprints.
Speaker 4: They think that this will help them, you.
Speaker 1: Know, they'll hand over the fingerprints to the cops and they'll be like, thanks for getting us fingerprints. We'll solve this murder now, even though you're the ones that disposed of the body. And a popular tourist attraction. So he goes into the clurb and that's where there's another like performance are going on with the like crazy like lingerie outfits and like light tubes.
Speaker 3: I think that's the sex party I was talking about. Yeah, Okay, there's a whole dance section. Yes there's there, And I'm like, god, people in nineteen horny people in nineteen ninety and to go through oops to get the rocks off because.
Speaker 1: There's no there's line porn I guess that's where you're writing. Yeah, watching your friend's sex tape.
Speaker 3: You had to go out to some shitty warehouse in Santa Monica and put up with really bad performances and stuff.
Speaker 2: It's just it's so funny.
Speaker 1: In order to connect to get off, I had to go outside to a clurb.
Speaker 2: I had to get performance are.
Speaker 4: It's so ridiculous.
Speaker 2: So they.
Speaker 1: Like, he gets a beer bottle that Roblow is drinking out of. Roblo sees that he was there, and then it like cuts to Pismo getting home to his apartment and somehow Roblow has beat him to his own apartment. I don't know how he knows where Pismo lives, and I don't know because he knows everything and he I don't know how he beat him to his own apartment, but he is there waiting for him when he opens the door, and luckily Pismo doesn't get hurt, because I would have actually been upset for Pismo.
Speaker 4: But he is running away from Roblow, and the whole time he's running, he's yelling Michael.
Speaker 1: Michael, Mike Michael, and luckily James Spader shows up in time to save him, and rob Loo disappeared because he's got to get home to his threesome.
Speaker 4: He's got a threesome that's waiting for him.
Speaker 1: So he splits, I got an underage girl.
Speaker 2: Woman, we're trying to talk about Gary Hart all night. Yes, I got a shit to do.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Gary yarn fuck. So there's just so so ridiculous. So now James Spader is like, I'm going to find Rob Low and I'm I'm gonna kill him. I'm gonna shoot him with the gun that I got from a security guard. Now we get a sex, we get a threesome because the movie never wants you to forget that Rob Low was in a sex tape with in a threesome. So we get a threesome with him and two women. And then we get to see Roblo's naked, bare ass, which.
Speaker 3: He shows that in all the movies, by the way he does. Yeah, it's cos opportunities just be in his contract. Yeah, you don't have to watch this movie to see it, if that's what you're going for.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: You have to watch this to see Marcia Cross's hair.
Speaker 3: So you do have to see it from marsha across his hair, and you'll know what we're talking about when that scene comes up, and if you're not cracking up, you have no sense of humor, because that is silly as shit.
Speaker 1: You know what, I will put together a side by side of her and Mary. Yes, that'll be perfect. You'll see what we're seeing. So he is, they do their threesome. He gets one of the women off and the other one's like, I'm next. But for some reason, he's like, I'm not gonna do this again. So he starts getting all his stuff and he's gonna leave, but for some reason, he goes down to the fridge and opens it just to give James Spader a place to hide behind the refrigerator door to scare us, because it makes no sense. Yeah, he closes the refrigerator and James Spader's there and he they fight, oh fight, And then James Spader runs off and he runs to the end of the pier where they first met, and uh, he pulls a gun on Roblow and Rob Blow's like, hey, sorry, sorry, and I was like, well that should fix everything, you know, and gives him this big villain speech. You know, I didn't make you do anything that wasn't already in you blah, blah blah, all this.
Speaker 2: Stuff, gaslighting, it's starvo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all of it. And it turns out like Pismo's there recording at all because we can't have a video camera.
Speaker 2: Pismo's got to exist for some reason, yes, exactly, And there he is, he has his hero shot.
Speaker 1: Pismo Beach is there recording and then like Roblo like lunges at him because this is a movie that is still very eighties and James Spader has to shoot him. So he shoots him and he falls into the water. And then but there's never a body found Margo.
Speaker 3: Which enraged me when I'm like, really, I'm like, you found Claire in.
Speaker 2: Two seconds and the tar pits, but this guy.
Speaker 1: Nope, they didn't find the body. I'm like, look, I'm just saying there could still.
Speaker 4: Be a sequel.
Speaker 3: Bad Influence Too, Bad Influence Too to Bigger and Badder, Bigger.
Speaker 4: I'd watch it. I'd watch it.
Speaker 2: I would totally watch it. I would have to at this point. Yeah, I'm committed.
Speaker 1: I'm committed. I am I'm here for the Bad Influence universe if they want to make more of these. So and then it ends with like Michael's going to go talk to the cops and I'm sure everything's gonna be fine. Totally.
Speaker 2: It's very easy to explain, sonya, Totally.
Speaker 1: He'll be like, let's see, I met this guy and I wanted to FuG him, but we don't really do that, so I, you know, fuck this person. And then we robbed some store, you know, we robbed some Hamburger stand.
Speaker 4: Together, and like, oh god, I.
Speaker 1: Actually maybe the movie could have added like just ten more minutes of him explaining everything to the cops. That would have been all right.
Speaker 3: They should have opened with that, Yeah, yes, I've already made the movie better.
Speaker 4: You have you fixed it?
Speaker 1: Good job, Marco. Time for a remake. So there were a couple of other people they considered for James Spader's role, including Matthew Broderick. And I'm like, he's got edgy.
Speaker 2: He's not edgy, but.
Speaker 3: He can do that wimpy totes guy that's put upon kind of thing and being jealous of a guy who's got his shit together.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Actually he kind of played this role in The Cable Guy.
Speaker 2: God, I didn't like that movie.
Speaker 4: I know you didn't.
Speaker 1: They're parts of it I like, but overall, apparently Tom Cruise turned down to roll. I was like, there's no way, Tom Cruise, this was.
Speaker 4: Gonna be in this movie.
Speaker 1: That was wishful thin.
Speaker 3: Gane like that was the pr person for the studio, like feeding that line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the variety or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then Robert Downey Junior turned down the part apparently, And I'm like, Robert Downey Junior would have been really good in the Rob Low role.
Speaker 2: Would have been better, to be honest with you.
Speaker 1: Other people consider for Rob Low's role include Nicholas Cage and I'm like sure, yeah, and then Kevin Costner.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, no, oh, for God's sakes.
Speaker 4: No Costner could play James Spader's role.
Speaker 1: I don't think. I don't think he could do the other one. I don't think that's in his wheelhouse. And then for Claire, for Lisa Zane's role, Patricia Arquette passed on it, which I think.
Speaker 4: Was a good choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah. She's better than this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a thankless role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good for her.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else we'd like to say about Bad Influence?
Speaker 2: I'm kind of done with it now, Okay, to be.
Speaker 1: Honest, other nineteen ninety movies, please, We've done nineteen ninety a few times. So I tried to go a little deeper. And forgive me if we've mentioned these movies before.
Speaker 3: The Freshman that's Matthew Broderick and Marlon Brando. That is right, that's a funny movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he made the right choice if he had this one over bad influence. Oh here's a great one. This one's really funny. Awakenings.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's such a riot, so funny.
Speaker 4: Definitely see that one.
Speaker 1: This is like a great, great double feature with this movie, Problem Child.
Speaker 2: That's a John Ritter.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's terrible, funny, not good.
Speaker 4: No, there's like three of them too, Like apparently.
Speaker 2: It made a shitload of money for some reason.
Speaker 4: So much money.
Speaker 1: The Godfather Part three.
Speaker 3: It's not good And I'm not gonna say it's great because I'm not going to feel like I'm being edgy by giving it props when it doesn't deserve it.
Speaker 2: It's it's poorly miscast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think the story is a mess yep.
Speaker 4: Exactly that.
Speaker 3: And I'm somebody who could recite Godfather's one and two on a dime.
Speaker 2: I could tell you that the whole script and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you watched any of the like recuts of god apparently there's a couple.
Speaker 2: Of there's a few versions.
Speaker 3: I mean there's one where they basically it's like a four to five hour version where it's like one and two together and it's in but it's in h what's the word I'm thinking of. It's chronologically its okay, yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So they show a lot of two first and then.
Speaker 3: Right they start with Robert and Young and then they as as a veto and then then you go to Marlon Brando and it's it's an interesting version. I mean, I have a couple of different versions. Yeah, I think the third and I'm always like third one. I'm like, usually about the fifteen minute mark, I'm like, I.
Speaker 2: Just can't this is Yeah, it has bumming down too. It has amazing people in it. Andy Garcia.
Speaker 3: I would have seen anything with Andy Garcia in nineteen ninety so hot hot.
Speaker 4: Joe Montag is in there.
Speaker 1: I love Joe Ye like, it's got good people. It's just it's messy, messy, messy, Okay. Other movies State of Grace, who's in that? That is Sean Penn and Robin Wright.
Speaker 2: That's where they met.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then I want to say Gary Oldman is in there. It's like Irish Mob. Yeah stuff. I remember liking it at the time, but I haven't seen it since then. This one sucks another forty eight hours.
Speaker 2: Enough said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, The Grifters, that's a great movie. Yeah, that's a really good one. Bird on a Wire.
Speaker 2: That's Goldie Hawn and Mel Gibson.
Speaker 3: Mel Gibson at one point he's impersonating a hairdresser, so of course he does the lispius mister roper version of a Homicide's o ridiculous. It's so like even then, I mean, this is thirty five years ago, it was like, this is dated, this.
Speaker 1: Is not No, it was not funny then, it's super unfunny now speaking of unfunny, taking care of business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know that movie because I worked with Paul Mazerski and his daughter.
Speaker 2: Wrote that movie.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, and it didn't do well for many different reasons in that family hates James Belushi by the way, Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Was one of the reasons it doesn't work.
Speaker 1: And so anyway, yeah, that's a The last one is The Bonfire of the Vanities.
Speaker 2: That's also people love that book.
Speaker 3: I think it's fine, I think, but it's this total satire. It's supposed to be a satire of the nineteen eighties New York City, big shoulder pads, Wall Street, all that shit, and it's supposed to be saying things about race and money. And they make it, and there's an excellent movie about it, A Devil in the Something. Julia Solomon wrote it. I believe Julie Solomon, she's a Wall Street Journal reporter. She got unbelievable fucking access, Like they pitched her to write about this movie before it was even in production.
Speaker 2: Like so she was in on.
Speaker 3: All parts of the casting The Devil's Candy, Thank you Sorry, And it's an excellent If you want to read a book about the making of a movie, that's one of the best ones you'll ever get. And she had so much access to all the leads, all the actors. They were very honest with her, like they knew it was a shitty movie when they were making it. Yeah, it's it's incredible, but the movie is not good and it's it's it's it's a it's a shame because there's so many big themes.
Speaker 2: And you had Brian de Palmer directed it.
Speaker 3: You have like and Tom Hanks Bruce Willis, Melanie Griffin.
Speaker 2: I mean, you have so many people, Morgan Freeman. It's filmed in New York on location.
Speaker 3: They had the budget for it because the book made a lot of money, and it just it's it's if you're ever wonder like, what, how does a movie just get fucked up and they take this great story and they screw it up. You read this book and you can see why. It just really explains it well. I would totally.
Speaker 1: Recommend so skip on fire the Vanities, just go right to the Devil's Candies.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, And I'm sure it's on audio two if you don't want to read, Okay, do you want to hear the top ten songs from when this came out? So it's March the weekend in March tenth, nineteen ninety. So I think you're gonna like this list.
Speaker 2: Number ten Taylor Dane Love will lead you back.
Speaker 3: B Yeah to Maha. I loved her, She's from Brooklyn. Number nine Billy Joel, I go to extremes. This is like a B level Billy Joel song. Everybody knows that I really like.
Speaker 1: I think I liked this song he very much.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Number eight I don't think, Oh I do remember now, Oh, Gloria Stepan, here we are.
Speaker 1: Oh I do like Gloria Stepan as a person. Her music's just not for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Number seven Michelle seventeen, No More Lies. I don't know that one.
Speaker 1: I don't know that one. Maybe if I heard it, but it's not popping up.
Speaker 3: Number six Paula Abdul and the Wild Pair Opposites Attract.
Speaker 2: We were talking about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they performed at the Clurb.
Speaker 2: No at the club this one.
Speaker 3: This band would have been at the Clurb Bad English. They had a song called Price of Love. I'm sure if I heard it, I would remember it because this was played in them all all the time. Yes, there's a lot of mall songs here. Number four, This this one when one hit wonder, A lot of miles, black.
Speaker 4: Velvet, Jesus, this song is.
Speaker 1: How is this song still overplayed?
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable. Number three the B fifty two's Rome. I do like that song.
Speaker 4: I love that album. I had it, yep.
Speaker 2: Number two rock sett Dangerous. I loved rock Set.
Speaker 4: I wasn't a big rock set person, but I get.
Speaker 2: It really because they're like asa bass to me.
Speaker 1: I could totally see that I didn't dislike rock sett I was just like, I was like, it's fine. The song I really don't like that everybody likes is there the one from Pretty Woman? They like?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 1: Must have been loved? I love that song.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I bought that stupid soundtrack because it had that song on their addition to other songs.
Speaker 2: But we can disagree.
Speaker 4: That's okay, We're allowed to disagree.
Speaker 3: Number One Janet Jackson Escapade Loved Loved.
Speaker 2: I still love everything, Still love that song. Still love Janet. She looks amazing by the way.
Speaker 4: Yes, I saw her going last year. She was amazing.
Speaker 2: We had such a time.
Speaker 1: Puts on an amazing show. My friend, What else are you dorking out about?
Speaker 2: There's the podcast The King Cast. It's a podcast about Stephen King and the movies and stuff.
Speaker 3: The discussion this week in this episode that I'm talking about, it's about The Stand and it's the nineteen.
Speaker 2: Ninety four TV movie that was.
Speaker 3: On three nights. Yeah, and I watched every night I recorded it. I was totally into it. I'm a huge Stephen King geek. And it's one of those things like I wanted to get into podcasting just so I can talk about Stephen King and the stand.
Speaker 2: I'm not even kidding you when I say that.
Speaker 1: Well, then we need to move it up the list.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, anytime, yes, okay, but they did a great job with it. Number the next one is Karen Reid was acquitted of murder, and the cops and everybody on the other side.
Speaker 2: We're on twenty twenty. I don't know if you saw the special Margot.
Speaker 1: I literally watched this this morning's Okay.
Speaker 2: I watched this last night. Yep.
Speaker 3: These are the biggest bunch of yahoos. And I lived in Canton, Massachusetts. I'd be really, really fucking worried about what would happen if a real crime happened to me, Like if a crime happened to me, like how the fuck it would be taken care of? Because these bozos that are in charge that the there's a scene where there's a man where they said John who died. They it's either he was found in the snow outside his friend's home and either he was killed inside the home and they dragged him out there, or the theory that state said was that.
Speaker 2: Karen he he was.
Speaker 3: Somehow on the lawnch somehow ran him over and that just ran that drove away and then nobody else saw it, right, And it's like, what how does that work? And we should say it's a snowstorm. That's happening by the way. At the same time, so the reporter is like, Okay, so your friend John is dying outside on your lawn. It's snowing. All the cops are there, the ambulances are there. How come you didn't go outside to help him? And it's like, because I'm not a I'm a Boston cop, I'm not a Canton cop. And I'm like, so you can't go outside your house as if you have no training with these things. Yeah, and then he said I loved him like a brother.
Speaker 2: You didn't go to his funeral?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, you destroyed.
Speaker 3: Your phone, you got rid of that, you got rid of the dog that you were taking. That's like to me, like, oh my god, they rehomed the dog. Would you rehome your dog's easily?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: No, not at all, they not at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's covered by the way, he's covered in these like scratches and bites. That tested positive for like pig DNA, And the reason it tested positive is because people give their dogs like pigs ears to chew on. Yes, yes, it's a whole thing.
Speaker 4: It's the bananas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a there's an there's a fresh you know, there's an open market here in Brooklyn, and like there's a huge line for these pig bones and chickens feet and stuff like I know, but anyway, these idiots and morons that are in charge over there, I would be I mean, we need they need to clean house, y'all.
Speaker 2: Because and the reporter was was remarkably restrained.
Speaker 3: I think, like I'm a little surprised a couple of times he didn't just interject like are.
Speaker 2: You fucking kidding me?
Speaker 1: It's just you know, I don't we don't know what really happened. Obviously we're not there. No, Like their case against her is was pretty shitty. It's not a very good case. And there's a shit ton of reasonable doubt there, that's for sure. And I don't know, it's the way they behaved is so weird. Yeah, with the with the destroying of phones, rehoming the dog, redecorating their home like or like you know how they like redid that room support like all that. Also, like if he was out there, they all didn't like spend the night. Did they didn't they leave and go home?
Speaker 4: Would they? Wouldn't they have seen him?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: It's it's a it's yeah, it's a twenty twenty special. It will if you're looking for rage bait, like that's a good place to start because you'll just be It's such a banana story. It's like something that took over the media here and it's it's and normally people don't. I don't know why Proctor, that Michael Proctor, why he did the I don't understand why any of these people talk to the press because.
Speaker 2: It did them no fucking favors.
Speaker 4: No, that guy.
Speaker 1: He had all kinds of things on his phone where he said some pretty fucked up shit about her. And it's like, damn, dude, damn he's married, too nasty and he has wife on there defending him.
Speaker 2: It's just it's crazy. I watched I started last night. I had to stop.
Speaker 3: It's on Max. It was the Ohio State. Yeah, it's it's gonna raige you, it'll enrage you. It's a it's it's right up there with Larry Nasser when he was molesting all these gymnasts. They have a doctor here at OSU that was molesting. It was it was the I don't know if it was the football it was the fencing team, the wrestling team.
Speaker 1: Here's the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he went through all these teams. Sonya.
Speaker 3: There's a guy that was in the fencing team who had his ear chopped class. But it was an that happens. It's fencing. It's like a nick, you know, on his ear. And they're like, oh, go to the dock to the doctor. The normal doctor wasn't there. They're like, oh, go to this doctor. That's where all the those wrestlers go to.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 3: They say, they say, he's really good, Say all right, cut his ear. He goes in there and the man's like take off your pants and underwear.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh my god, he's a fucking pig.
Speaker 3: And Jim Jordan fucking knew about it and didn't do a goddamn thing. And to watch these men were in their forties and fifties and sixties and talking about stuff that they said. I couldn't even talk about it because I would have been made fun of.
Speaker 2: Yes, they and that, and that's also a part. That's the shame that's put in there.
Speaker 3: And uh, yeah, it's going to enrage you, but it's very interesting. And uh, on Netflix, the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders they had they have the second season good news they got. I think they did this right. It was only seven episodes. I don't think it needed to be more. Yeah, I think I think it was. Did you see it all?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought it was.
Speaker 3: I really liked the setup of it. I think you get to know the cheerleaders far better.
Speaker 1: Yes, And and.
Speaker 2: I think and the and the what they had.
Speaker 3: This on here in America they had on CMT and it was like making the team das Cowboy Cheerleaders an out like twelve years I did, but it got too repetitive because it's just like we have all these girls from all over the world and they can't do splits and that one can't do that. And this is far more interesting because it just really goes into and it's like these players that were suing for more money, they were just they were they were bargaining excuse me, to increase their checks, and it's like people still want to keep them in a bubble and like, no, no, this is who you are.
Speaker 2: This is where it's always been. And they have these two women in charge.
Speaker 3: That have been the organization for forty plus years and they.
Speaker 2: Don't want to change things because it's what they know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's interesting to watch these young women, and especially I was so impressed with a couple of them were just like, well, if I get kicked off the team, but it helps somebody else the next year and the year after that, I'm okay with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There was Jada and someone named Armani and I think the other one's name is Megan. They they were the ones that were and maybe someone named Kelly. They were like leading the charge on this. But I think if you watch season one, you are rewarded by season two. Like season one is very much like this is what it's like to be a cheerleader. This is how you try out for the team, and this is what you do when you're here, and season two we actually get to spend more time getting to know the different cheerleaders instead of spending so much time in the this is what it's like. It's this and this and this and this, So you get to go like a little bit deeper. There's the stuff about the money that is super interesting. There is a whole thing where they go to the Bahamas and something happens.
Speaker 4: Where have you finished the whole thing?
Speaker 2: No, I'm in the middle of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't want to ruin things for people, but there is a whole thing about the safety that you need. They need to be careful about disclosing, like where they're staying when they're out places, because people are very obsessed with the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders, so they when they're out, like they they all take a group trip to the Bahamas, like their whole thing, Like, you can't tell people where you're staying because people will then show up at the hotel and like they hurt, right cheerleaders and things like that. So there's some stuff like that, and also just a reminder that there's also a reminder that the physical toll that this and a cheerleader takes on their bodies. And it's very well done. It's insanely watchable. I watched all seven episodes over like two days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really really watchable and interesting. Yeah, and I really appreciated it. And then going back to Max Max and just like that.
Speaker 1: Ah, I love how you say, Andrew, it is.
Speaker 3: One of the worst. I mean, they just keep getting worse and worse. These characters are nothing like you knew if you loved Sex in the City. No one behaves like they did in Sex and the City. It's there's a whole thing in this Adria. So Aiden, excuse me, told her I don't want to see you for five years. And then she comes to Virginia because she has a signing there, and he's like, oh, stay at my place, but you could stay in the guest house, you know, because I don't want my sons to be overwhelmed. She's like, okay, So that's how they end last week. This week they end, they open it up. So she's wearing the outfit she wore the day before because she and Sema had left their luggage in their car that they destroyed the tires going out the wrong way out of a bank.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, they're so dumb, and they.
Speaker 3: Left it all in the trunk. They didn't even put in the back seat. So at least remind them that. So in the meantime, she is not it's a small town in Virginia. How many places can they a tow truck go, like, you can find your fucking luggage.
Speaker 2: No. She wakes up in a total New York City outfit.
Speaker 3: She's wearing like basically kiss boots, like these super high heels, and then she's and so she wakes up in her clothes and she sees two of his sons are outside her window and it's like on a They're on ladders. He's instructing his sons to repaint the guest house in honor of her. What that's what he's telling his sons. Okay, you need to repaint this house to make Carrie feel welcome. So Carrie wakes up and there's two teenage boys like staring at her through a window.
Speaker 1: Okay. Also, he didn't want them to know she was right, but now he does want them to know, and they need.
Speaker 4: To do a chore to make her.
Speaker 3: It's because he has a son named Wyatt who's sixteen, and Wyatt got drunk and crashed a car and which is terrible, and that's one of the reasons.
Speaker 2: But his ex.
Speaker 3: Wife called Carrie and says, my son needs adderall but they have an adderall shortage where we are. I know this is a weird ask, but do you think you can get your hands on some? And of course Carrie tells Charlotte Charlotte's like, and Charlie gets in like five minutes. It's a whole joke, haha, all the moms in the Upper east Side.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 3: Right, So she brings the adderall and she gives it to Aiden, and he has a weird look on his face when she gives it to him. Turns out he doesn't want his son on adderall because he thinks he has substance abuse problems, so he doesn't want to give him any It's the Robert F. Kennedy Junior, Okay, thinking of like every drug is bad now because right, so, he thinks that his son, if I just make he's always yelling at him to get off his phone and get off the screens. He's like, if I just keep him physical and moving, he'll be better. So that's one the reason they are painting is to keep him occupied so he can't be busy hating Carrie, just yelling at this the bad decision that, the bad decisions he makes. And at one point he's screaming at his ex wife at his other son's birthday. They're trying to tell me how to raise my family. Blah blahcas oh, it's your family now.
Speaker 2: Like he wants to he's a narcissist. He's not that it's right.
Speaker 4: This is not the Aiden that we look.
Speaker 1: I know, people change all these things, but like, come this, this is like villain behavior.
Speaker 2: It's very much villain behavior.
Speaker 3: And then there's all this talk on Reddit and stuff about like either why it has ADHD or he could be on the spectrum, or there could be just other things. But he needs to be diagnosed and he needs to be treated for that. And Aiden's whole thing is like my dad handling things like oh, just yell at the kid and make them do physical things and they'll be fine.
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 1: I had this discussion with my dad back when, because my son is on the spectrum. People listening, right, So for a long time, no that my son was diagnosed at like two and a half with autism, and and my dad was one like there's nothing wrong with him. A spank and won't fix right, you know, And I was like, time to go the fuck out of here. My dad does not think that way anymore, and he's learned a lot since then, Like is he perfect?
Speaker 4: Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: Is he trying a little bit, but yeah, that that that's not a thing.
Speaker 4: That's not gonna work. It's not gonna work.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna work. And Carrie doesn't know because Carrie doesn't care. She's not a well she's not a kid person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she doesn't have kids. She doesn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's about a thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But she's so in love with she's so in love with the idea of the two of them being together that she can't possibly think about just dating another person that I don't know, lives in your city, that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, right, that doesn't make up rules.
Speaker 3: And he's constantly changing the goalpost for the rules. Okay, we can talk, but you know, I don't want to do FaceTime?
Speaker 2: Can we do this?
Speaker 3: And I get people have rules in the relationships, but it's like he's setting all the rules.
Speaker 1: This is interesting because this is the same kind of shit that happened in the original show with Big, right, Like Big was the one that had all the power in that relationship. He decided when they were together, not together, like where they were gonna live, where they were like whatever. Like it's just the same thing all over again.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: It's fun to watch, And that's not fun to watch, and it's frustrating, and it's just they and and and this kid needs help, I mean, and he like breaks a window. He is an argument with his brother and he breaks a window and he freaks out. It's like, yeah, that's annoying, but there's something underneath that, and you need to have the skills and you build that gradually, but just constantly yell at.
Speaker 1: Him, get off your screen.
Speaker 2: We're gonna go do this.
Speaker 3: Now, we're gonna go swimming, We're gonna do this, We're gonna do that. And it's like that doesn't work. Yeah, but he's like, I'm gonna pushed my way through it, and you know, and everyone will be and so it's just it's very frustrating.
Speaker 1: It doesn't sound like a very fun watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's the thing with Sex and the City. It was fun. It was thirty minutes of fun. Yes, they got serious occasionally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's not like everybody's in a tragedy now, which is what it is here.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad I've still sitting this one out, but I appreciate your recaps.
Speaker 2: Yeah. See, I tell you what you don't so you don't have to watch it yourselves. But if you hear.
Speaker 3: People like complaining and they're like, oh my god, about Aiden and Carrie at this time. It's just like it's like she had a lobotomy, Like she just doesn't have any of her person and like she's.
Speaker 2: Good looking, she's super rich.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's got a cool job, lots of free time, likes to travel, like you can't find anybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also maybe she's like one of those that kind of like believe that there's this lore around Carrie and Aiden, right right, and their story, Yes, their story, and so it's like you don't want to give up that story, you know. It's like I'm gonna make the story work. I'm going to make sure the story has a happy ending. And it's like not every story does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Carrie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, I'm done. Sorry, I talked long enough.
Speaker 1: No, you're all good. That's a bunch of good recks. I'm going to move that. Ohay, Ohio State documentary at my list.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I saw a couple of movies, so I'll start with the really bad one. I watched the Minecraft movie with my son because he is he loves Minecraft. He plays that shit all the time. And I watched the movie and it's terrible. It didn't feel like a movie.
Speaker 2: Did he like it?
Speaker 1: He loved it. He loved it. He is thirteen. He laughed throughout, he super enjoyed. And I was like, you know what, this movie is not for me, and that is okay, not every movie needs to be for me. Jack Black is like dialed up to like eleven in this movie. I like Jack Black very much. That's it's very manic. It's very like it's just over the every line delivery is super over the top, which I don't know, maybe that's fine for this kind of It's a video game movie. It's set in a video game basically, you know, and all the animals and people they're all these like kind of square blocks. It looks like Minecraft. The effects are pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: The jokes are real dumb. It's you know, people getting hip by cars or tripping over things or whatever. It's just real dumb. But a thirteen year old boy loved it. He loved it, like he rewound it right when it was over and started watching other parts again. But it has this like it's got Jack Black, who I love, and great Jason, Oh wow, it's got Jennifer Coolidge is in there, like it's got good people.
Speaker 2: It's can I ask a question? Yes, I don't even know what Minecraft is.
Speaker 1: It is a it's a video game that you can kind of you can build like your own world in it, Like you can uh like build homes and creatures, and and then there's these things in the game, like there's like you could build up a village and all these villagers move in. There's all kinds of animals that it's like farming stuff.
Speaker 4: There's like you.
Speaker 1: Can do mining because of Minecraft, and then you make things. You can play it as like a game where you're trying to score points and stuff, but also you can do it on like a I get a create world. That's what my son likes to play in the creative world, where it's no there's no score, it's just you're just doing stuff in it. Kids love it. They love Minecraft and they love Roadblocks, which is seems very similar to me, where you can kind of build your own video game in it. But I acknowledge that these movies. This movie, by the way, made a shit ton of money. Yeah, like one of the top grossing movies of the year, and kids went to see it over and over again, and they were like yelling things at the screen and turning it into their thing, and I'm like, hey, I think it's kids excited about going to the movies.
Speaker 4: I'm all for it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 4: Not a good movie.
Speaker 1: Like anyone who doesn't play minecraft will watch it and go, well, this is trashed, and they would be.
Speaker 2: Right, there's no novies.
Speaker 3: I love Jack Black, yah and I and I loved his media tour for it.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I think that's enough for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And he's a great person to cast for a movie like this because he is like a very animated person. He can be very cartoony, you know. Jason Momoa is like that too. He's already like a really big person, like he seems almost unreal already. So these are good people to cast for stuff like this. It's just the movie doesn't make any sense. It's really dumb.
Speaker 4: I wish it was.
Speaker 1: I wish it had just been a little bit more clever.
Speaker 4: There's but it's just not that kind of movie.
Speaker 2: It's not that kind of film.
Speaker 4: So that's what it is.
Speaker 1: I also saw The Materialists, which, oh my god, the internet is very divided over. First of all, this movie was marketed as a rom com.
Speaker 2: It is not.
Speaker 1: It is not a rom com. It is not funny. It's not trying to be funny. It's more of a romantic drama, or maybe just a drama with some romance.
Speaker 4: It's not that kind of movie.
Speaker 1: But Dakota Johnson is playing a matchmaker in New York and the movie has a lot to say about dating culture and what people say they want. Right, So, like all the women are like, he needs to make this much money and he needs to be over six feet tall, and you know, all the men are in their fifties, and they're like, she needs to be like in her twenties or something, and they're like, well, she's twenty nine and he's like, well that's practically thirty, so younger than that, like that sort of thing. So there's that, but it's also like what do you really want though, Like you say you want those things, but that her whole thing is she wants a rich man for herself. She grew up poor. She dated Chris Evans's character when she was younger and he was poor and she is poor, and she's like, I want to marry rich.
Speaker 4: And then she meets.
Speaker 1: Eddrow Pascal, who's Pedro pascaling it the most. He's so handsome, he's so charming all of these things, and he likes her, and she's like, you don't really like me, you want someone younger. She's trying to talk him out of it, but he really likes her, and they go on some dates and they start hooking up and they seem to really enjoy each other. They're not maybe in love, but they're enjoying each other. Meanwhile, she's also hanging out with Chris Evans again, who is a struggling actor. He's forty, he has roommates, he works as a cater waiter, and she is trying to figure out do I actually want to marry rich and love is never going to be on the table, or do I really want love and I'm not going to spoil anything, but she has to make a decision. So if that's the kind of movie that interests you, then you might like The Materialists. If you want a rom com, this is not it. There's also a sexual assault subplot in here that they don't hint at or give you a trigger warning for. So if that part, that kind of thing really really upsets you, this.
Speaker 4: Is not for you.
Speaker 2: Does it happen to one of the characters.
Speaker 1: No, it happens to a like a side one of her clients.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Okay, and.
Speaker 4: It's used as a way to.
Speaker 1: Move her storyline forward in a way that might leave a bad taste in some people's mouths. Okay, the cast is great. I like Dakota Johnson. She is someone who rubs people the wrong way.
Speaker 4: I like her.
Speaker 1: I love Pedro Pascal obviously, and I love Christmas and Chris Evans and they're.
Speaker 4: All like beautiful people.
Speaker 1: And it's got a very mixed reaction online where you know, people are like, well, this is poor boy propaganda, and I'm like, I see what they're saying. But also I think it's trying to say what you want, what you really want is love and not everybody is going to check every box. Like, that's just not a there is no perfect person. Yes, the gamification of dating apps has made people feel like it is a game to be won and you could find like you could build your perfect person in this app, and it's like that's just not a thing that exists. Like she refers to Pedro Pescal throughout the movie as a unicorn because he's like rich, he's like six feet tall. You know, he's super handsome, he's very kind, you know, and it's like he checks like every box for like a dream woman, you know, a dream man, and those kinds of goals are not attainable. It's you have to find someone who's fucked up works with your fucked up, and I.
Speaker 4: Think that's what the movie's trying.
Speaker 1: This is the same writer director who did Past Lives, which is a really good movie too and also not a comedy and more of a romantic drama. And some people are walking into this one really disappointed. But I still liked it, so I think it's worth streaming when it's streaming.
Speaker 4: I don't think you need to run.
Speaker 1: Out to the theater to see it though, yeah, unless you're like a huge fan of those people. So other things, Oh love Hotel ended?
Speaker 4: Yes, what did you think about the end?
Speaker 2: I think it ended perfectly.
Speaker 3: I think, of course, you know, Shannon's gonna go with Merle the Pearl because she wants to keep up like she for her If you watch Shannon on OC like, she always has to have a man, she always has to have a boyfriend, so for her to like find somebody that could tolerate her is a big.
Speaker 2: Hurdle to overcome.
Speaker 3: So even though they're not completely compatible. Like it doesn't surprise me. Lu Anne is still dating that guy.
Speaker 1: Yes, I saw that, Like she left with James and that dude's a fucking kook, but like, yeah, but so is she and whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they're still together. I'm like that.
Speaker 1: They're so fascinating.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting.
Speaker 3: I mean, she really she really likes him, like like all the stuff that makes everybody else go in or you know, roll your eyes.
Speaker 2: She thinks it's fun.
Speaker 3: So there's a lid. You know, there's a lid for every pot. I say, yes, that's true, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought it was I can't wait till they do another one. And it was a really good cast of people. It was a good mixture of different men that came in and out of the competition or whatever you want to call it. And I thought it was great.
Speaker 2: I really do.
Speaker 1: It's really really enjoyable. I of course, Shannon's like Earl leave the check out of the Love Hotel with me, and then you find out that and like they didn't last very.
Speaker 3: Long, Like yeah, real life is going to kick you on the teeth at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lou Anne and that.
Speaker 1: And James are still together. Giselle picked the person I didn't think she would pick, and then they never really got to.
Speaker 3: Get the never they never they were going to hang out on Halloween and they never did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then she's been hanging out with the other man or she's going to go visit him or something. But also I'm just like, I don't know, does Gizelle really want a man in her life.
Speaker 4: I'm not convinced. I'm not convinced.
Speaker 3: No, no, And then Ashley of course has to pick the daddy.
Speaker 2: She's such a weirdo.
Speaker 4: But it's so funny.
Speaker 3: But it was, But I mean, it was a different kind of dating show, and I appreciated that because I'm sick of all the dating shows.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well I am watching, you know, Love Island USA, which is on like five nights a week, and actually one of the women, actually one of the couples I should say, in Love Island did something very similar to what Shannon did and Love Hotel, which is Shannon attached herself to like the first man that came in and paid attention to her, and she spent her whole time with Earle. She didn't really get to know anyone else. She spent her whole time with Earle. There is another couple on Love Island, Jeremiah and Huda, who were paired together in the first episode, and after like two weeks on the show, like she is, they are both like, no, we're together.
Speaker 4: We're the strongest couple.
Speaker 1: But you could see that, like he's maybe losing interest in her, but he wants to stay on the show, so he's not trying to break it off with her, but he's like backing away alone little bit. She also reveals that she's a mom, like she had hidden that from him and was like, by the way, I have a kid, and I was like, that is uncool, Like I understand, like single, I'm a single mom. You want people to get to know you, but like being a parent is part of who you are, and lying about that is well, first of all, it's stupid, like because how are you going to build trust with anyone if you're lying about something that important? And two, like why do you want to be with someone who would think that's a deal breaker? So it doesn't make any sense. But then this was the this past week America got to vote finally, and America immediately split that couple. It's like, we're messy, messy and that man used it as an opportunity to be like bye, and like he moved on, and she lost her shit in a way that at first was funny and then became really sad and became a point where people online were like, I'm worried for her mental health. Like she was crashing out after like two weeks acting like this man was the love of her life. It was really disturbing to watch. But I think she's finally turning a corner and she's trying to get to know some of the other people in the villa. But this show is messy and kind of gross. How much they make them all make out with each other. Again, I'm old, I'm an old prude. I guess so they they have them making out with each other all the time, and challenges they do weird gross like food challenges too, where they're like passing food back and forth between their mouths. That shit is nasty, nasty. But I don't know why they want to turn it into fear factor. I'm alwa it's just a dating show. Why are we doing all this fear factor shit? But it is a very entertaining shit show, and I watch every glorious second of it, so HI, high thumbs up for Love Island, USA. I've now got my sister addicted to it, so I have someone to text with. And I don't bother Margo with it because she's like, I'm not.
Speaker 4: Watching that bullshit.
Speaker 2: I'm not watching it. Sorry, No, that is.
Speaker 4: Not your jam And that is okay. Oh you know.
Speaker 1: There's actually one more thing I wanted to say about America's Sweethearts was the impact of the first season of the show what it has on the second one with the all the people that are now showing their love for the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders in a way that they weren't before. And they show all these especially women going to the football games now and they're wearing hats that says I'm just here for the cheerleaders. Yeah, And I was like, I think that's really cool.
Speaker 3: Like I would totally go to a game and mostly be there for that. I mean, I love football, but I mean, but I think you and I would have a great time.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: But the idea that they then got to like perform with Dolly Parton and they who was the other one there was like another like old school country singer. They got to perform they're getting all these options or opportunities to perform where they weren't getting anymore. They probably got those in the seventies and eighties when they were at their peak, but now they're back on like NBC's like Christmas Show and you know, all of this stuff. So I think it's I love seeing the after effect of the first season because that's realistic. A show a Netflix that's really popular is going to have a huge influence on First of all, they should be making. They've recently got a.
Speaker 3: Raise, foise, so it's a decent raise, but they hadn't had one in years and years and years and it was nothing.
Speaker 4: Yes, and now they do.
Speaker 1: And a lot of that has to do with that first season, right, because they first of all, they showed how much work goes into it, but also the appearances went up, like it's really hard for them to work full time jobs or you know, or even part time jobs. Right, you're traveling all over to these appearances. So I think I think the show's really well done. So but I really just wanted to mention the hat, so I was like, I would wear that hat.
Speaker 2: Too, Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: So that's it for our list. If you like the sound of our voices and why wouldn't you? I mean, hello, listen this whole Bad Influence podcast. We also co host a podcast called What a Creep, where we talk about creeps in the past and the present. Our creep out right now is a murder from the seventies.
Speaker 3: It's Claudine Langeais who murdered in nineteen seventy six skier Spider Savage and she was engaged. She was married to Andy Williams previous to that, and it takes place in as has been.
Speaker 1: It's the most wonderful, wonderful we had.
Speaker 3: I had somebody reach out to me to say, you actually gave a really great musical history lesson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we love talking about Andy Williams. That was fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but it's it's a really great episode. So go check that out and of course follow dor Key out wherever you like to get your social media stuff, you know, Blue Sky, Instagram, Uh do that, my friend.
Speaker 4: Where can people follow you on the internet.
Speaker 3: You can find me at Brooklynfitchick dot com. I'm at Brooklynfitchick for Threads and Instagram, and I'm at Brooklyn Margo for Blue Sky and TikTok and then I'm at my name Margot Donahue on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Follow her. Her new book, Fever, The Complete History of Saturday Fever comes out in August. It does soon, so follow her on stuff because she shares really great clips and you're not gonna want to miss it. You can find me at the Sonia Show dot com and the Sonia Show on Blue Sky and threads and TikTok and Instagram. And you can find dorkin Outshow at Dorkinoutshow dot com. And you can email us as well at dorkin Outshow at gmail. Send us your address. Well, I'll pronounce some new stickers because we have a new logo, so we need new stickers. I will do that, and I'll say leave us a review if you like the show. It helps us find our people and we super super appreciate that. Thank you for talking about bad influence with me, my friend.
Speaker 2: This was such a fun little trip to nineteen ninety You.
Speaker 1: My friend, are a good influence.
Speaker 4: Now let's go do our hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah,