Speaker 1: The right quiet.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back and with it an annual postseason tradition scam is back.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 2: This is Saxon Kates in the A app Back Go with Broway. Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine, eighty seven two five seven now. While the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app. We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seventy LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve Sacks.
Speaker 4: Sax and Kate's and am here on your home in the Dodgers AMPI seventy LA Sports. Thanks for being with us on this Monday morning, October twenty eight, twenty twenty four, as we are together in studio here at ANTI seventy LA Sports leading you up to Game three of the World Series. Dodgers on Deck starts to four o'clock. First Bitch coming up at five toh eight from the Gallapin Motors broadcast both Saxon Kates and the am brought to you by Chef Moriitos seasoning this seasing partner of the Dodgers. It's a World Series time bring out the chef and you. Coming up in about twenty minutes, Doctor David Chow, longtime Chargers team doctor, will join us. He will give us his thoughts on this show. Hey Otani shoulder injury that he suffered in the seventh inning in Game two. David Vasse is in New York with the team, traveled out there yesterday and will join us in the eight o'clock hour. We'll hear from Game three starter Walker Buehler coming up at eight o'clock. Steve's keys to a Game three win coming up as well. The shoulder injury to showy Otani at first glance, just looked like a normal slide into second base and the seventh inning, for the final out of the bottom of the seventh he rolled over onto his stomach and started to grimace and then held his left arm and the doctors for the Dodgers out in the field. Dave Roberts ran out in the field. He left the game of the seventh inning, and now we find out it is a shoulder sublexation and tests were done on it. He flew out separately from the team yesterday, did not work out with the team on the field a Yankee Stadium, but did do some baseball activities after they had left to test out that shoulder. As Dave Roberts alluded to, the shoulder injury is never a fun thing for a player. And this is a shoey Otani already coming off a Tommy John surgery, albeit to his right elbow. This is his left shoulder. When you saw the slide, initially it didn't look too bad. Sex he kind of just looked like maybe a little pressure was put on his left arm, maybe a wrist, maybe a finger or something. But the shoulder is something you never want.
Speaker 5: To mess with, no, and and much more complicated than an elbow. And I'm really looking forward to talking to doctor Chow and finding more about, you know, exactly what's going on with him. Of course, they had left shoulder subluxation. Yeah, I have no idea what that is, but I guess it's when you hurt your left shoulder. Partial dislocation, So I guess the shoulder doesn't completely pop out, Yeah, but there's damage to the shoulder. Then I had one of those. I had one of those when I was sixteen years old. I want to I want to ask doctor child about that, because I've always wondered I was sliding head first in the home plate, you know, you know, sixteen and stupid. And I was in American Legion baseball right before I signed. I was a maybe sophomore in high school. And I slid in a home plate and my hand caught the catcher's like foot as I was that he had blocked in front of home plate. And I kept going and my shoulder stayed back there where I was sliding, and I remember rolling over like show Hey did, and my shoulder was really hurting. And you know what, all through my baseball career, it never kept me from really doing anything, but it was always a reminder of that terrible decision to slide head first in the home plate when I was sixteen years old. I could always feel like when I raised my shoulders up, if you can just think about and pull your shoulders back a little bit, if there's any time where I can pull my shoulder, I can feel how tentative and weak it is back there. Is it a or it's just like, oh boy, that I better'm not going any further, that he's going to pop out. So it's always been weak, but it never bothered my baseball career. I was really lucky. And that's why I'm curious about this. Was show Hey, maybe it's something that he can play with that's not going to be debilitating. Yeah, but that's kind of how it was for me.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've heard in the last twenty four hours, I've heard from amateur doctors on social media to actual doctors on social media that put up put out some videos. And that's why I'm excited to talk to doctor child about this. Get an actual orthopedic surgeon to talk about this injury and somebody's been around professional sports teams for the better part of the last thirty years, to talk about this sub subluxation of the shoulder and is it a tear of the labor I've read doctors, That's what I'm curious about. It Did it just pop out and it's and it's now it's inflamed and it's gonna or did it create scar tissue and is that why it feels this way?
Speaker 6: Or right?
Speaker 5: And you know, and I really have heard doctors talk about this. In the time I've been around that show, are really like there's a lot that they still are tentative about. You know, it's not a perfected thing yet. About all the things that they do in their course, they've come a long ways. But when you're talking to compare that with an elbow night and day. From what I understand, and that's what doctor Chow would tell us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know, if there's a tear in the labor and does that mean surgery after the season. Certainly he's not throwing here in the World Series. He's it's his left shoulder, so that's good as a hitter, right as it's his non front shoulder. As a left handed hitter, that'd be his right shoulder. Fixing the pictures his power arm. I guess you could call it. I think in all.
Speaker 5: Things considered, it's probably what you'd rather have as opposed to something on the right side. Of course, Okay, because he's pitching, you know, that's big problems if it's on the right side. And again mine was on my left, so it didn't bother me throwing up.
Speaker 3: But what about swinging though, No, it just it did. It didn't. It didn't bother me that.
Speaker 4: It's not going to pop out when you swing right. Soreness, the flexibility, the range of motion. And remember when.
Speaker 5: You're hitting two my left your left elbow from a right hand hitter, your elbow's down. You know if you raise your elbow up. I can feel it right now when I just raised my elbow up. What a difference that would make. But do you never really do that in baseball when you're hitting your the left elbows always down.
Speaker 4: So watching show Hey on the ground, I just kept thinking, oh no, not now exactly is that what you're thinking?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And then I thought, which arm is this I'm looking at. I'm like, okay, it's the left arm. Yeah, okay, thank goodness, I guess because he's coming back from Tommy John surgery on the right arm again and we want to protect that elbow. We want to protect that arm right because he's hopefully going to start pitching again next season. And then I hear shoulder sublexation, partial dislocation, and I've heard the word tear of the labor I'm thrown around the last twenty four hours. Let's hope it's not that case. Yeah, But then I think labram shoulder gosh darn it. Thankfully it's not the right shoulder that he had to be coming back from a laboram surgery throwing shoulder again.
Speaker 5: And that's problems down the road. How long are we going to get him as a pitcher? Maybe a year or two?
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 3: And that's it? Price is averted? There is he going? Yeah? Is he going to become an outfielder? Now?
Speaker 5: You know, the bottom line was show hey, dude is so talented. I mean, let's say, worst case scenario, it happened to his right shoulder and he couldn't throw it. I mean, no doubt he could be converted to an outfielder, no question. You know he could do it with his speed and you know the way he throws in everything. But we don't want to even go there. Let's let him be the media that he is right now and see the great pitching that's coming next year. And of course all the offense.
Speaker 4: I love all the Dodger fans who saw that he did not travel with the team and immediately like, well, I wonder if he's at LAX. I wonder if he's gonna be on my flight to New York. Listen, and he's taking a PJA a private jet, yeah, to New York. He's Shoeotani. He can get there when he needs to get there, and he did arrive after the team got to New York yesterday. They did not fly out after the game on Saturday night. They were scheduled too, but I think a two nothing lead in this series, they didn't want to travel all night, rather fly early Sunday morning, get there in the afternoon. Workout last night, which they did. Shoeotani worked out after the team was finishing their workout. We'll find out how he felt today. I guess from Dave Roberts when he speaks to the media a couple hours before first pitch. But the only news we got officially yesterday was from Dave Roberts, and you heard that audio last hour saying that he expects shoey Otani to play in Game three. And at this point, I mean, doctor Chow will explain him more and give us more information, but I get the feeling it's a pain tolerance, yeah for show at this point how much can how much can you play through? How much are you willing to go through? And if it's gonna further damage your shoulder, that's one thing. But if it's just something that it's gonna bother you, it's not gonna damage it anymore. Right, But how much can you play through the pain? Hopefully he can play through it. And you wonder if he'd have some assistance in dealing with that pain, would they would they reject something? Yeah, would they inject it? I don't know, but you know again, doctor Chow will tell us. But still, hey, I thought, when it's just a partial separation and he's back, you know, could pop out and come back.
Speaker 5: It's still not gonna bee hundred percent. But like Dave Roberts said, he felt better today than yesterday. Tomorrow, he's probably gonna feel better than today. That's good news. And if that's just it, he's just gonna need some time to rest. Let's go out to the phone. Todaight six six nine.
Speaker 4: David Vess joins this next hour, Will Hood from Walker Bueler next hour as well Oscar and Baldwin Park. You're next up on m five seventy l A Sports, Hi, Oscar.
Speaker 7: Guys, good morning, missus Stags, good.
Speaker 3: Morning, Oscar, good morning morning.
Speaker 7: Beautiful morning, beautiful way to start Monday. Dodgers are up too old build it tonight and the Bronx listen. I love our chances, man, I don't care about them having winn l A. I just want them to win it. I'm not all E was two, now get it, get goes up?
Speaker 6: Three?
Speaker 7: Oh, maybe I get a game and they's close it out on the game five or four whatever, but real quick on Freddie Freeman's home run. That night, I was working late. I had to. I had to go help a buddy in the family out because I'm a plumbing by trades. I had to go hop out with something. Getting frustrated. I was going guy kid, going back and forth, hearing on the radio that I was hearing it play little by little as they were down, and then I left. I was frustrated, and I swear I turned Brittany to the radio, wanted to hear the game, and bam heard it right, Freddy Man. That was man. One thing I say to about the radio, you hear it first. For people on TV, it's like a minute or two delay. I heard it first, and yeah where every time where I live, at anytime. The Dodgers scored the light fireworks I don't know. And then after about two minutes ago, people started lighting fireworks, happy and man, it was a It's definitely those moments you're gonna always remember. I always remember I was driving my work mad and I heard heard the call five seventy beautiful when I heard it any other.
Speaker 4: Way, awesome, Oscar, appreciate it. Oscer, thanks for listening to a five seventy l A Sports. Patrick in Thousand Oaks. You're next up on a five seventy l A Sports with Sacks and Kate's and am Patrick, how you doing?
Speaker 8: I'm doing well. K C Sacks my all time favorite Dodger and k C my all time favorite workaholics. But hey, I have a quick question for Steve. Yeah, late in the game when Chasm stole second and then they the Dodgers, inextricably just kind of let him take third. I mean, they didn't have Monthy playing in or even double play depths, and they had him basic in shallow left field. I'm wondering what is the logic behind that. I mean, that could have been brutal without Freddy's heroics, it would have been a big point of controversy. And so I'm just wondering, why do you think they had him play him back so deep?
Speaker 3: Well? We wanted to take that. Yeah, go ahead, okay, thanks Patrick, Patrick, thanks for you call. Patrick.
Speaker 5: First of all, I wanted to allude about you said about Tim Kates about he's a workaholic. Yeah, you know he is. You know you you mentioned the word work to Tim and he gets drunk. So I mean it's a problem, right, it's a problem. We're just having fun with him.
Speaker 3: Patrick.
Speaker 5: No, Look, so I'm with you on this. I'm not an advocate of the over shifting. I think it's a little bit overrated. I think as a middle infielder, you always pinched the two guys at middle in for the shortstop in the second basement a little bit two steps up, two steps over towards second base, because you never want to give up the chance. How many times have we seen where they're shifting it's a double play situation and they hit a ground ball right to the right side of second base and it's through for a base hit. That should be a double play every single time. I don't like giving up the chance to turn a double play because it's a killer for the other side. And as far as third base is the same thing, lots of times what you see now, Patrick, it's a foot race between the runner after a secondary lead on the pitch and how fast can the third basement get over from the exaggerated shift that he's now engaging in. I'm not a I think you got to protect your base and whatnot. And I get the shifting part. We shifted, but we didn't do it so much that it becomes a bunch of you know, bull shift.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's it.
Speaker 4: The speed element of the game is coming back into baseball. Is it's a beautiful thing to see. We saw it with shoey Otani's stealing fifty bases this season. But to see what Jazz Chisholm can do on the bass pass, yeah talented, Yeah, I mean he really is the base hit next thing, you know, it's like watching Ellie Della Cruiz with the Cincinnati risk a single. Two pitches later, he's standing on third base. Right, He's a threat And does that change the game or what?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Seriously, absolutely talk to the best fielders in baseball. You talk especially the outfielders. They have a tendency to look up just a beat before they should because that that cat might go to third base, and so they're looking up to a little bit too soon. And even gold glove outfits. We talked to Andre Ethier about it the other day. He said the same thing. Yeah, you know, that speed element of the game makes you look up a little bit. This guy won the gold glove and have a chance, a chance to make some errors that way because speed kills. It absolutely does, and the Dodgers were fortunate to hang on and get the win in Game one with the Grand Slam, and they get the win in Game two on Saturday night. Now in two oh series lead Game three with Walker Bueller on the mound, coming up at five oh eight this afternoon. Chris and your Bolina joins us now here on a five to seven he with Sax and Kates and am how you doing?
Speaker 3: Chris?
Speaker 8: Hey, guys, good morning.
Speaker 9: How are you Chris?
Speaker 8: Good, good, guys.
Speaker 1: I'm super excited. That Game one walkoff was absolutely nuts. That was like a first round knockdown. I mean, hard to think that the can come back. But the dislocation of Pani's shoulder is pretty concerning. I mean, those happened pretty frequently once, they happened once, so I don't know what the plan is, but it's kind of concerning.
Speaker 4: It is concerning. Chris we're gonna get an update from dctri Choo, who has been around professional athletes and worked for the Chargers as their team physician for two plus decades. He wighed in on social media over the weekend. He's with the Sports Injury Central and a doctor still in San Diego. He's gonna win with this next segment about this injury. What he's seen in past instants with guys having shoulder injuries. I mean for the Dodgers, he just had to go back four years to twenty twenty. In the NLCS, the Dodgers were facing the Braves and Keiky Hernandez and Cody Bellinger did a celebration where they kind of locked arms and the shoulder and Cody Bellinger popped. He heard it in the celebration. He has still played in the World Series. Yeah, and wasn't as productive in the World Series, but he's still played great defense in center field. And what happened after the season in no remember a month later he had surgery. Doctor Latrash performed surgery on his shoulder and Cody Bellinger in twenty eighteen or twenty twenty one, excuse me. After that surgery in twenty twenty had a slow start to the season. I mean it's a ten week rehab after that shoulder injury, and he came back in twenty twenty one and was slow to get going out of the box. You can tell the shoulder was still hurting him. He even afterwards was telling David Vassy that it took a few months for him to feel right at the plate in twenty twenty one coming back from that shoulder injury, just the stiffness and his swing and feeling comfortable again in the left handed side of the box. So it's something that, Yeah, it affected Cody Bellinger even after he heard it in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this could be, you know, obviously a long term thing.
Speaker 5: If it pops out of the socket and gets back in it's still a lot of inflammation in there. And you know, like I said, I've dealt with this my whole baseball career, my whole life. It's been this way since I was sixteen, never had it fixed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but now you walk around with one arm hanging. It's kind of weird though.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 5: I'd become all the way right handed now, can't do anything with my left hand.
Speaker 3: He is Steve Sax I'm Tim Kates.
Speaker 4: Thanks for being with us on this Monday morning here on Saxon K's in the Am. You're a home of the show Hey Otani and the Dodgers, A two oh series lead. Coming back your phone calls and we'll hear from doctor David Chow, sports orthopedic surgeon and specialist. We'll check in with him, get his thoughts on this injury, how it's gonna affect show Hey, and what kind of production can we expect out of show Hey here in this world series and how is it gonna affect him after the season.
Speaker 3: We'll hear from doctor Chow.
Speaker 4: We'll hear from you at eight six six ninety seven two five seventy David Veas next hour, Thanks for being with us. It's sax and Kates and the Am on an FI seventy LA Sports. It's Saxon Kate's in the Am here on n five seventy LA Sports. Steve Sacks, Tim Kates and you on your home of show, Hey Otani and the Los Angeles Dodgers, AM five seventy LA Sports A two to oher series lead in this world series Game three. Later on this afternoon, in the Bronx Dodgers on decads started at four o'clock. We'll have first pitch from the Galpin Motors broadcast booth coming up at five to oh eight.
Speaker 3: Will he play? Won't he play? Show?
Speaker 4: Ao Tani suffers a shoulder injury in Game two on Saturday Night. Had to come out of the game in the seventh inning after sliding into second base and injuring his shoulder. We've talked about it, but now we get an expert's opinion. Doctor David Chowd joins US now internationally recognized orthopedic surgeon sports medicine specialists. You can find out more at the Sports Injury Central siicscore dot com, and he joins us this morning here on a FI seventy LA sports Doctor Chowd, Good morning, Thanks for coming on this.
Speaker 6: Morning, Thanks for having me, guys. I grew up in LA and I was a Dodger fan. And yes, don't get confused my moniker's pro football doc has I've been a longtime NFL team position, but I've helped as a team position with the Cubs and Twins as well, so there is some MLB experience mixed in here.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: We're glad to have you this morning getting your expertise on the shoulder injury to show Hey, o Tani. At first sight, it didn't see Mike anything, just to slide into second base. He rolled over on his stomach and grimaced and grabbed his arm was helped off the field. We find out it's a sublexation of the shoulder. Can you explain to Dodger fans out there what exactly that is? How severe an injury or not of an injury it is?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, it was evident to me. I was actually headed to an adult Halloween party with my wife when my phone went off with the Sports Injury Central staff, and you know, I've got one of those big Z phones with a big video screen on it. It's like a little iPad. They sent the video and immediately we tweeted and put out that he sub luck slash dislocated his shoulder. What that means is the ball and socket joint. The ball came out of the socket, so to speak. The difference is in the show, it's not a true ball in socket like in the hip. It's more of a golf ball on a tee and that's what allows the mobility. And the question is did he tear the labrum and then the ball doesn't stay on the tee as well. When you're golfing, it can stay on, but it's a more delicate balancing. That's what we saw initially. And the question is did he tear castle did he tear part of the labrum? They haven't said. Look, I get the optimism for him maybe trying to play, but the question is how well might he play. Look, he's a Otani, he's the best player in the league. He's the MVP. Even with this injury. Is he one of the top nine dollgar batters? Yeah, for sure, But is he show hey with Tani? Is the question. Good news is he doesn't play in the field at all. The good news is this is his back shoulder, which makes it a little better for hitting. But it's still going to be a little issue the way that his swing is, and it depends on how to sore his shoulder will be. It's going to affect him even if he plays.
Speaker 3: Doctor Child. Good to be with you.
Speaker 5: This is Steve Sachs, and I wanted to ask you a little bit more about this subluxation. I had an instance where I explained to Tim here I slid into home plate in my you know, my arm, my hand hooked onto the catcher's foot and I kept going and my shoulder stayed there. So I kind of really ripped this thing when I was sixteen years old, And you know, the shoulder was kind of like at a forty five degree angle. When you see Shohey go down to the ground, you know, his arm was up a bit, so the shoulder was more at that forty five degree angle as well. And we were talking about Bellinger in his celebration when he jumped up and high five you know keiy k hernettez. Again, the shoulder was at a forty five degree angle with the arm up, and he had a little bit of a subluxation there. So is this the common way this happens or is it just what is the main way that this does appear to happen.
Speaker 6: Well, you're absolutely right, Stephen, big fan from growing up from you and even before you with the say to Russell the Lope Cigarvy in the whole deal, even before your time. But in any case, you're absolutely right. That's the position that's vulnerable when you're upper outer quadrant in a you know, if you were a picture with a right shoulder with a lis left shoulder up and you know when you're in the talking phase, that's the danger area when your arm is up and away from you, as you say. And that's what happened with Showey's sliding, That's what happened with you. That's what happened with the Fernando Tatist down in San Diego where I live now, last year out of the year before a couple of times. And here's the issue. I'm not trying to be a baseball expert. You are, Steve, But the way show Hay's stance is you look, look in general, back shoulders better than front shoulder for this type of injury for hitting. But look at how he holds his bat up high and buy his ear that back left shoulder kind of gets up into that quadrant. Will he need to modify that a little bit to be comfortable. I don't know. And if he does, what does that do to his overall swing? You know, small little adjustments at the last second. And maybe my question for be Steve, not that it is exactly the same, but could you have played two days later after you did what you did to your shoulder?
Speaker 3: You know what, first of all, doctor Chow.
Speaker 5: Your assessment of his setup and how he gets ready in that launching position, and how it's elevated right there. Making even micro changes to that could certainly throw things off. You're exactly right on the button with that. Now, could I have played two days later? I don't think I could have. This is something that's been with me my whole life. It's been this way. I never had it attended to. I just tried to get through it. But it's still with me today. I don't think I could have played two days later, remembering back then.
Speaker 6: Well, here, here's everyone's focused on game three night, everyone focused on Justice World series, and I'm not trying to be a nacee here. Look is he going to try and play? I think of course he's going to try, it's how well is the question. And you know he's at a reasonable setup too, and you're not going to Benchotani if he could at any way shape or for him get out there. But as we look forward, because you mentioned the long term and potential, it would not shock or surprise me if shohe had off season labor repair surgery. So this doesn't become recurrent, and that's the subject for after the World Series and so forth, But that would not surprise me.
Speaker 4: Doctor David Chowd joins us here on a FI seventy LA sports talking about Showeyotani the shoulder injury in game two of this World Series. Is it something if he does play today and continues to play in this World series, Doctor chow he can further damage the shoulder or is the damage maybe already done to whatever extent it is that the labrum. Can he continue to damage it or what's done is done and he just has to play through it until he can get him looked out further in the offseason.
Speaker 6: Well, freak injuries can happen, but thankfully it's baseball and it's not football. But let me tell you many football players play through this depends on your position. If you were a left handed quarterback and this is your left shoulder, you wouldn't be able to, but you know, many defensive players, running backs. If you look at the straps, a lot of the football players have to keep their arm at their side away from what see said. That forty five dere angle that's to help keep the shoulder in place. But I'm not sure show Hey can wear that, and you know have his usual setup and load. Maybe he can in some modified way. We'll have to see. So yeah, I don't think his high reinjury risk. It's just how effective he can be right now. Long term, there's definitely reinjury risk. That's where he would think about, you know, getting it fixed in this off season. It's just the nuances of each sport, not just the injury itself, and the nuances of each athlete within the sport. As we've talked about his batting stance and swing in.
Speaker 5: The way that he loads, Doctor Chow, Let's say he has surgery number one, what is the recovery after that?
Speaker 3: Surgery is at a long time?
Speaker 5: And secondly, if you can compare the difference between the elbow and the shoulder, I mean the shoulder, it seems much more complex than the elbow.
Speaker 3: So maybe those two.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, first of all, you probably could come close to having this be an off season thing and be ready for the start of next season. It would be close, but I think he might be able to do it, depending on the extent of the damage. If he needs the surgery, it wouldn't be like the elbow where next season is lost, right at least from a pitching perspective on the elbow and from a hitting perspective, he would be back for next season. The question is that you start as spring training, probably not started the regular season maybe, but not long after that. So it's not the worst thing in the world here in terms of recovery. And if it's going to come out again and again, you're probably going to want to fix it this off season. Obviously, the off season is shorter now than typical given how far they've gone into the World Series.
Speaker 4: Doctor Child, final thing is it if he plays tonight and it's a matter of pain tolerance. Is there something they can you know, give him to make sure the paint? Is it just a couple of advillain, Let's let's go out there and play show hey, and we'll worry about this later.
Speaker 6: Well, advil. You know, there's different things toward all legal medications, et cetera, but adrenaline's a powerful drug. And to me, it's just what do the subtleties do to his swing as he you know, you know, is trying to hit that curveball or under mile an hour fastball. Look in theory, and I don't know if the Yankee pitchers will be brave enough to do this against shoe Hey, o Tani, Steve Saxton, come in on this. If you have a bad back shoulder and you have this type of problem, it might be harder to turn on an inside pitch a little bit well that he's a poll hitter. Anyway, Are you brave enough to pound show Atani inside? Medically? That might be what you want to do, But is anyone brave enough to do that?
Speaker 5: That's funny, Dr Chow, as you were as you were forming your question, I was some seting here with Tim and I'm pointing to close to my body like they're gonna pound him inside, and then you're right on it. You know exactly how they do this in supports obviously, but that might be something they do. I think, you know, Dr Chow, is this this club may know there's a you know, a possible way to get in there and kind of you know, you know, mitigate what Jose what a show he can do as far as turning on the baseball, which of course is his specialty.
Speaker 3: So we'll have to wait and see on that.
Speaker 6: Doctor, We're all suckly because that's playing with fire, but you know, that might be what you need here I.
Speaker 3: Mean absolutely, watch out, absolutely, doctor Chow.
Speaker 4: We appreciate you coming on this morning lending your expertise to all the Dodger fans out here in southern California to show hey Otani the shoulder injury and maybe long term looking at it as well. We really appreciate you coming on this morning doing this. Thank you, Thank you, doctor Chow.
Speaker 5: All right, there he goes Doctor David Show. He's on spot on, spot on. He knows exactly how that goes. I mean, it's amazing how football, baseball, it doesn't matter, it's all sports. When you have that, when you have that shoulder, like I thought, that forty five degree angle and then the and then the contusion or whatever happens, the trauma happens, it's vulnerable because the shoulder's just out there, right. And yeah, so he was spot on with it.
Speaker 4: As a hitter, if you get an injury and you you feel a sharp pain or you feel something in one position in your at bat and you move it just to get away from that pain just a little bit. Yeah, your hands, your elbow, your hip, your legs.
Speaker 5: Over compensating right, changes everything, everything, everything. And so when you look at hitters, it's it's so complex. When you look at hitters and you know their creatures of habit, they're gonna do the same thing. And if they that part of it gets interrupted, it's, uh, it can change everything. And you know, oh, the guy's a whamp, the guy, you know, No, No, it's it's it's just a fine technical thing that gets interrupted changes the whole scheme.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's that's problem.
Speaker 4: When he says surgery labram, Yeah, I just I started shaking my head.
Speaker 5: Thank god, it's not the right one, you know what I mean. I mean, he can still pitch and it's not going to bother any of that. His elbow is gonna be one hundred percent. As you know, he could probably be pitched now, but we're not going to go there. But nonetheless, thank god it's the left shoulder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll see if he plays today. Dave Roberts alluded to it yesterday in his pre workout press conference that if Showhye can tolerate whatever pain he's going through and he checks the boxes as far as hitting and running and everything else that he needs to do to be ready to go for Game three, that he would be in the lineup will find out when the lineup comes out in a couple hours. Game three, first pitches at five Oho eight. David Vasse is in New York. He'll join us next hour. We'll hear from Walker Buehler next hour as well.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: Go back out to the phone. Thanks to doctor Chow for joining us. We go to Nick and Long Beach. It's next up with Saxon, Kates and am on this Monday morning with the Dodgers a two to oh series lead.
Speaker 6: What's up?
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's a it's a beautiful Monday, great way to start the week. Listen.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 3: I got a quick.
Speaker 10: Story for you guys. I think you'll appreciate it. I was at the eighty eight game. My dad and I we're supposed to go. Something came up and we kept it in the family. My cousin and I went. We were out by the gas station out there in center field, and we bought this back in the day, remember before the internet. And we bought ticket tickets from scalpers, and we upgraded and upgraded, and we ended up spending two hundred dollars each on a ticket, which to us was a lot of money. And we sat in the upper deck, second to the top row exactly even with first base, we got to see Gibby kind of peeking.
Speaker 3: Through the dugout door.
Speaker 10: In the ninth inning, we stayed. We were yelling at the fans who were leaving in between the top of the ninth in the bottom of the ninth. I'll never understand how you could stay for that and then leave, But we were yelling at the Dodger fans. You revoked. So we saw it, and it was the greatest sports moment I ever got to witness. Fast forward, okay, fast forward to Freddy's at that tenth inning, basically to the minute, forty years later, and I'm watching it on a four K TV eighty inches in my living room. He hit the home run, and it's better than Gibson. And the reason it was better is because that was the first great moment that my seventeen year old son and my thirteen year old daughter watched, and we all watched it together, and we were jumping up and down in a circle, just like all the videos that you saw, all the people they experienced the miracle of baseball, and only baseball provides that shocking moment. And that's why for me, even though Gibbey was more story, but the Freddie Freeman moment for me in my heart is more special. I love the Dodgers. I love the fact that I passed it on to my family, and I think we're gonna take it home for another chip.
Speaker 4: All right, Nick, appreciate the phone call. He mentioned the emotion of the game, and I'll bring it up again. I was at game one on Friday night. I was standing in the loads level, right behind the back seat of the section I think it was eight of the load section and the home run grand Slam walk off of the Dodgers. People hugging each other, people crying. The whole nine innings. Though saxy, at times, I felt myself exhaly and thinking, gosh, I'm just a fan watching this game, standing here with other people, just watching this emotional game happen out to out inning, inning, runners left on base, pictures getting out of jams, the bullpen, coming in the grand Slam. I was exhausted. Yeah, after that, I couldn't imagine being a player. And I'm standing right in front of the Yankees family and friends section and Anthony volt family, the short stop for the Yankees. Was happy to be sitting in the back couple rows, so they're right in front of me, and every time their son and grandson came up, they like, I couldn't imagine the emotion that they were going through. And then I think about Vulpi and I think about these players. As a player, the emotions are you caught in the moment. Do you realize how tense it is pitched the pitch and back to a bat And because as a fan, I was caught in up it one thousand percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's lots of times. It's more for your family. You know.
Speaker 5: My mom and dad never missed any of our games, and quite often they were passing each other on the street in West Sacramento, going to my sister's Bobby Socks game, to my brother's game, to my game, to my other sister's game, and they were like passing each other, you know, because we were in different leagues because of our ages. So it was it's so exhausting. And when it gets up to the big league, like the Vulpe family, I mean, you can imagine every pitch is like just a breathtaking event and it's absolutely exhausting for the family, the players in the middle of it, and it's kind of what you do, you know, But for the families, they're the ones that go through it. Really it's just another game, a playway seriously when uh, I mean, you know, the heightened awareness of everything because it's the World Series. But once once the game starts, all the pomp and circumstances before that, Yeah, the butterflies when you're on the field, you get a little butterflies when they're announcing, but after that first pitch going on, you get the the you know, the mechanics of the game going back and forth. It's like another game, it really is to me. Especially when you're winning, you relax a little bit more. Yeah, so that's that's the way that was.
Speaker 4: But where I was standing, there happened to be a TV monitor up to my right, and so I could see the bad and time after time i'd see a player up at bad first pitch, second pitch, step out of the box and there was this deep breath they would take, Yeah, inhale, exhale, deep breath, and I felt like they were feeling the moment as well. Not every player, so you could tell which ones were feeling it.
Speaker 5: And you know they say sometimes people say, do you ever hear the fans yell at yeah, you hear everything, and we were human, just anybody else. But I gotta go back to Nick, the caller at the of the moment. I think Freddy's home run was just as big as Gibbie. He was hobbled, he was injured, the game was on the line. It was the iconic home run, every bit as big as Gibbie's homer.
Speaker 3: I think he is.
Speaker 4: Steve sax I'm Tim Kates. Your phone calls coming up, Saxon Kates in the am. David Vassi joins this next hour. In about twenty minutes, you'll hear from Walker Bueller, the Game three starter. Dodgers back in the Bronx for Game three of this World Series, a two nothing series lead going into tonight. Dodgers on deck at four o'clock. First bitch at five, Oh wait right here on AMPI seventy l A Sports Saxon Kates in the Am on this Monday morning here in southern California. Thanks for being with us as the Dodgers are in New York for Game three of the World Series of a two to zero series lead. What an emotional weekend it was at Dodgers Stadium, Game one on Friday Night, Dodgers a walk off grand slam in the tenth inning from Freddie Freeman. Game two, Yoshi Yamamoto dominant on the mound. Three Dodger home runs, Tommy Edmund goes deep, Freddie Freeman goes deep, tay Oscar Hernandez goes deep, and the Dodgers win Game two on Saturday Night. Walker Bueler would go in Game three tonight, first pitch at five oho eight from the Galloping Motors broadcast booth. Thanks to Dodga Chow for joining us earlier this hour getting his expertise on this Dodger injury to show Hey Otani the shoulder sublexation and possible labram tear. They'll find out more, certainly after the series is over and they do a little bit more work on that shoulder. Certainly, we expect him to play in Game three tonight. To what extent he is the show Hey, that we've seen all season long, We'll find out some people have a problem with show. He's trying to steal in the seventh inning on Game two, and what was a Dodger lead going in? I think it was a four to one lead at the time, and showey Otani gets caught stealing, and some Dodger fans reacting to like, why are you even trying to do that? What's the point of getting to the second base. You already have a three run lead. It's like you're trying to tack on runs. Totally good with that, Totally good with that. The theory being that if you're six or is it six runs up in the sixth inning, six and six, maybe you don't do it to try to show the other team up. But this is a World Series. You tack on Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. I mean, look at the final score. The Dodgers hang on and win Game two, but the Yankees had the bases loaded. What would another run or two look like in a Dodger lead at that point? It would have been huge, huge, of course, as it is Alex Vessi gets him out of a base's loaded jam. They did just the one run in the ninth inning. It's a four to two victory, but could have been worse. Could have been a Yankees win in the in the ninth inning. In there, but you know, you continue to tack on runs. You don't just be happy with the three run lead. And then get mad at Showy for trying to steal second base. So uh interesting, it's Dodger fans wanting to complain. Yeah, eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. Well here from Walker Buealer. Coming up at the top of the hour. David Vast will join us from New York. Coming up at eight thirty. Reggie in La is next up on Sax and Kates and The Am.
Speaker 3: Reggie, good morning.
Speaker 7: Hey, how you guys doing good?
Speaker 11: Reggie?
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 11: It was kind of interesting to see some of these New York fans interviews on some of the news channels last night about I appreciate if they were to just be there and how they thought that it was great to have their world series there where you watched La Dodger fans and there was like, you know, we're gonna rip their throats out to get this thing, which which was kind of crazy. But the only question I don't want to ask Steve Sax right.
Speaker 7: Now, real big important thing for me is how do you like the national anthem?
Speaker 4: Oh, that's a great question. It was Brad, Thank you, Reggie. It was Brad Paisley on Friday night.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about that. I didn't see it because you know, was it good?
Speaker 4: I didn't hear it, so I say it was good based on the five or six people that I did ask on Friday night. When I saw them afterwards and we were all celebrating the Freddie Freeman grand Slam, I said, oh, yeah, by the way, how was Brad Paisley And they were like he was fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did a great job.
Speaker 4: And then David Vat say, you can actually ask David about this when he comes on. David knows Brad Paisley very well. Was that Brad Paisley's house during the winter meetings and had Brad and his wife on Dodger Talk from the booth on Friday night and came in and talked to him about the national anthem, and David's like, why don't you give your guitar to the Hall of Fame? You know, he could use it as a moment, you know, momento there, and He's like, no, no, this is my favorite guitar, not doing that. But he did a very good job. I'm not sure who's saying a game too. I should know this offhand, but yeah, it's a it's it wasn't bad.
Speaker 3: It wasn't. Brad Paisley's gonna do it right.
Speaker 5: You know that he's he's a good dude, he's a he's a great American, and of course you know he's the consummate professional.
Speaker 3: He's going to do it right.
Speaker 4: He is a huge Dodger fan by the way, too, which is surprising. He didn't grow up a Dodger fan. He became a Dodger fan. And now he saw the light. Yeah, he saw the lighting sit and now he's all in as far as being a Dodger fan. He splits his time between l A and Nashville, and when the Winter meetings were happening in Nashville this past December, David Vassay sort of sparked a conversation between he and the Dodgers front office, and it led to a gathering at Brad Paisley's house. Wow, and they were having a good time and just talking baseball, and it ended up being like multiple members of the Dodgers' front office and then members of the Tampa Bay Ray's office front office showed up as well. Has got some and you know what happened at this meeting, The Tyler glassnow trade happened at this meeting. The discussion about a possible deal started at this meeting at Brad Paisley's house. David Vass can tell more about because he was literally, You're never going to get anything like this other than scam. Yeah, absolutely, cats, you just you just you just I mean, David's told the story, so I'm not telling.
Speaker 5: Him that of course, but I hadn't heard it before, and especially when you tell it with you know, right off the U.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is how this happened. We got Glass now and you know this is great stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Vasso can tell you more about the conversations they had and the frameworks of a deal were in motion based on this gathering. And it was all because David and Brad Paisley wanted to hang out together. And then it was like, Hey, I'm gonna bring this person. He I'm gonna bring this person. And it ran into a small little party gathering Wow at Brad Paisley's house turned into the Winter meetings. Absolutely and make sing, you know, show hey signs with the Dodgers. I'm amoto shines. Tyler glassnow gets traded for from the Tampa Bay Rays and here we are Dodgers. A two oer series lead in this world series, Tony and Santa Clarita, thanks for being patient on this Monday morning.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Tony Hey.
Speaker 9: If show Hey isn't himself, they're gonna pitch around Freddy. That means it's Max Munsey's time to show up. And didn't Max Munsey have a dual home run game in the summertime in Yankee Stadium?
Speaker 3: I believe so. I believe so.
Speaker 9: And do you think Tommy Edmonds should hit from the left because Soto's not a good not a good defender.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a matchup a who's facing, you know, they're their facing that night is being the the benefits of a switch hitter and Tommy Edmund It'll be interesting to see how they face show Hey o Tani if he does in fact play tonight as the designated hitter, will they pitch around him? Will they attack them? Try to go after a wounded animal, so to speak, initch around him.
Speaker 3: I think this is the time that they'll go after.
Speaker 5: They they'll try to neutralize him by pitching him, and they'll feel it out too. I mean sometimes if your shoulders hurt like that too, and you pitch him away, you know, to try to reach for that ball can also probably be an effective thing. And they're gonna, they're gonna, you know, they're gonna map this whole thing out for sure. But you know, if show hey capitalized on a mistake that they make, he might not make any difference.
Speaker 4: On the flip side. You just said that, try to get him to chase. If your show Hey, and there's some ways of hitting some positions that hurt more than others, you're gonna want to stay away from that, whether it's reaching out, whatever the case may be. You don't want to feel that pain, So you're not gonna make that swing. Right, Maybe this prevents him from chasing balls. Maybe this really zero is in where he knows pitch has got to be in order for me to make contact and to be without any pain. Yeah, needs to be at this certain spot. He needs to be in this certain.
Speaker 3: Middle end, so to speak. But anything else I'm not going after.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I think the bottom line is he can't get into a rhythm, even because it could affect him the rest of the you know, if there's you know, if it goes seven games too, he can't get into a rhythm where he's starting to change and or alter his approach and the way he swings, because then he's not Shoeotani, so he has to try to I would say stay with the basic plan because that's what he's all about. If he tried to even do micro changes, then you're asking for problems.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 4: This is a good thing Dodger fans, because when shoe Heotani refocused her in the season, stopped chasing pitches, really zeroed in on the pitches he was looking for, he was back to be in a show. Hey, getting on base, stealing basis, hitting for power.
Speaker 3: This is gonna be a good thing to tell you another team.
Speaker 5: There's times when people are sick, when they come to the ballpark with the flu or they they have, they don't feel well, they've got some injury. They wind up playing much better at times because they're not concentrating on anything else. Just I want to get through this game and get to bed. But I'm just gonna see the ball and hit and let a fall. They wind up having amazing games. Let's hope it happens for show. Hey, tonight, we expect him to be in the lineup. We'll find out more from David Vezy at the bottom of the hour, we'll hear from Walker Bealer next, and you, Dodger fans eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy, leading you up to Game three of the World Series Dodgers and Yankees.
Speaker 4: From the Bronx. I'm Tim Kates, Steve Saxson. You on a FI seventy ELI Sports