Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the audio broadcast ministry of Pastor Rick Warren. Today we continue in a series called Better Together. In this series, Rick takes us through First Corinthians chapter thirteen and shows us how to cultivate deep, meaningful relationships with the people around us. In just a few moments, we're going to tell you how you can get a copy of Pastor Rick's book called God's Power to Change Your Life. In it, you'll discover how God provides the power you need to take you from where you are to where you want to be. Find out more by going to Pastorick dot com or by texting the word daily to eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four while you listen to today's message, that's Pastorick dot com or the word daily to eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four. Right now, here's Pastor Rick Warren with part one of a message called how We Help each Other Grow.
Speaker 2: Let's read together Romans eight twenty nine. Would you read it with me? From the very beginning, God decided that those who came to him, and all along he knew who would should become like his son. The third purpose of life is to become like Jesus Christ. While you're here on earth, God wants to get you ready for heaven and he wants you to grow in character. He wants you to grow spiritually. That's what we're going to look at today. How do I grow spiritually? But more than that, how do I help each other grow? Because the Bible teaches you cannot grow spiritually on your own. You have to have other people in your life. That's why we talk so much about small groups in this church. You have to have other people to help you grow. In fact, look at the next verse first, the Salonians five eleven. I'd like for you to read this aloud with me, plus also read the reference. First Thessalonians five eleven. Let's say it together. Encourage each other and build each other up. First Thessalonians five eleven. Now let's say it again. Encourage each other and build each other up. First Thessalonians five eleven. Now this is this week's memory verse, so let's say it again together. Encourage each other and build each other up. First Thessalonians five eleven. Everybody look up here and don't look down. Now, encourage each other and build each other up. First Thessalonians five eleven. You memorize the Bible verse we peede, turn to somebody, say I did it, I did it. Okay, all right, one more time, First Thessalonians five eleven. Encourage each other and build each other up. First Thessalonians five eleven. Now that's what we're going to talk about how to do today. And I'm very excited about this message because when we talk about how we help each other grow, you can apply this, like last week's message, in so many different ways. You can use it to help your boyfriend grow, your girlfriend grow, your husband, your wife. You can use it to help your kids grow, the people you work with grow. You can use it in your small group how we help each other grow.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Rick will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. You can sign up for Pastor Rick's free email devotional at pastorick dot com. That's pastorick dot com.
Speaker 3: What does it take to become more loving, live more peacefully, develop patience, have self control? Pastor Rick says. Throughout all the years he's been a pastor, the number one question he's been asked, is why can't I change? People want to change, but they're stuck. Maybe you feel that way. In his book God's Power to Change Your Life, Rick lays the groundwork for personal transformation, then offers biblical insights and simple steps for ten areas of growth that can take you from where you are to where you want to be. This book connects you with the power to actually make the changes you long to make. And as you apply the truth of God's word by the power of His Spirit, your life will change. You'll move out of your rid and get on track with God's wonderful purposes for your life. And today, when you give a gift to Daily Hope to help take the hope of Jesus to people everywhere, we'll send you a copy of God's Power to Change Your Life. Just go to Pastororrick dot com right now to get your copy, or you can call eight hundred and six hundred five zero zero four that's Pastorick dot com. Or call eight hundred six hundred five zero zero four and be sure to let us know which station you heard us on. Thank you so much for your support. There's only three days left to get this great resource, so.
Speaker 1: Don't wait, and now here's Pastor Rick Warren with the second half of today's lesson.
Speaker 2: I'm very excited about this message because when we talk about how we help each other grow, you can apply this, like last week's message, in so many different ways. You can use it to help your boyfriend grow, your girlfriend grow, your husband, your wife. You can use it to help your kids grow, the people you work with grow. You can use it in your small group how we help each other grow. Tom's going to talk about the next one, all right.
Speaker 4: The goal of forty days of Community is learn how to love, learn how to love each other. And one of the ways we do that is when we decide to help each other grow. And there's a lot of ways we can do that, but I think this first one may be one of the most powerful choices you and I can make each week, and that is the decision to love other people help them grow by affirming each other's worth. By affirming each other's worth, here's a little secret if you haven't figured this out. In life, everybody is looking for affirmation. Have you noticed that everybody is looking for affirmation and people will do almost anything to get it. If you don't believe that just watch some of the reality shows. Look at what people do to get on TV, to get affirmed, to get eat worms, do whatever just so people will applaud you. Pretty ridiculous when you and I affirm other people. We're doing some incredible things in this world. We are showing love. We're ministering. Like Jesus ministered, he affirmed people as he ministered. He's made a difference in this world. We're doing God's work in the world. We're representing God. If you haven't figured this out yet, God is an incredibly affirming and loving father, and we're showing the world a little bit more about what God is like. But here's the question, how how do I do this? How do I make the choice to affirm people in everyday life. Well, there's four ways you can do that there on the outline. Number one, you do it by showing acceptance with acceptance, by doing what the Bible says in Romans fifteen seven, when it says accept one another just as Christ accepted you, instead of choosing to snub people and belittle people and to mean people, which is an easy choice to make, especially if you're having a bad day. If I'm having a bad day, it's great to put other people down. You have a bad day too, that kind of a feeling. But when you make the choice instead to lift people up, you are making an incredible impact in their lives. It's easy to look down on people, it's easy to act like you're better than people, and there's a couple of facts that really make that easy in our world. Number One, we live in a sort of a put down world. People tend to put other people down. When I feel bad, I try to drag other people down to my level. There's that kind of feeling in life. Our culture teaches us to compare everything, rate everything, appearance, talent, income, so it's easy to put other people down. There's a second fact that keeps us sometimes from accepting people, and that is our tend to see that we all have this tendency to take our strength and project them on other people and notice how other people don't quite made up to our standards. For instance, I know that some of you are people who are on time all the time. You're just that kind of people. That's the way life is for you. And those other people like us who are not on time. You tend to sort of look down your nose at us. You come and you sit in the bleacher so you can watch the people come in late. It just makes you feel good about yourself. There's late late, late. Late just makes you feel good those other people that are late. We tend to project our strengths on other people forgetting that we have other weaknesses or some.
Speaker 2: Of you are.
Speaker 4: You're tidy people, I mean just everything's nice and clean. You sort of like to go into other people's house and just sort of notice. You don't say anything about it, but just I see that. See that, Yeah, I see that. It makes you feel better about yourself. Let me tell you a better way to feel better about yourself. Instead of doing it by putting other people down. One of the greatest ways to feel better about who you are is to lift other people up. It gives you a thrill like nothing else. The Bible says this verse is up on the screen in Romans fourteen ten. Why do you look down on another Christian? Remember each of us will stand personally before the judgment seat of God. The point of that verse is who am I? Who are you to look down on other believers? God made us, He is our father, he is our creator, and we're all going to stand before him, and we need to lift each other up rather than putting each other down. Truth of the matter, God is that God lifts us up, He affirms us. So who am I to put down somebody else? In fact, it is not God who puts us down. It's not God who accuses us. You know who the Bible says the accuser is. The accuser is Satan. So when I spend all my time putting other people down, I'm doing Satan's work for him. And he smiles at it. He enjoys that. Now, let's just make this sort of personal. We're talking about small groups during this time of looking at how we're better together. Who is it in your group that you have a sort of a hard time accepting?
Speaker 3: Who is it?
Speaker 4: Don't look at I'm just asking the question, who is it that you have a hard time accepting? Have you ever thought about this? God wants to use you in their lives to help them to grow. The fact that you have a hard time accepting them means you're different, And the fact that you're different means that you can help each other grow.
Speaker 2: They probably have a.
Speaker 4: Hard time accepting you too, because you're different. God wants to use you in their maturity. But it all starts with acceptance. You cannot I can't help somebody grow and reject them at the same time. You have to accept them like Jesus accepted us. In order to do that, you and I have to value the God given differences and uniqueness that we all have versus in your outline. But one Corinthian twelve six says God works through different people in different ways, and I am glad he does. I'm so thrilled he does. He's made us different. Now, how do you tell when you've accepted someone. Here's one of the tests. You stop insisting that they be just like you. You realize and rejoicing the fact that they're different. Truth of the matter is the world will be a boring place. Everybody was just like you. So God has made us in all different kinds of ways, to do all different kinds of things, so everything can get done in this world. And the goal of a small group, goal of a family, goal of any group is not to mold people into your image. God wants us to all be different, but to help people to discover who God made them to be. To tell people to recognize, to affirm their uniqueness, I don't know when the last time he looked at somebody and said, you know what, I've noticed you're good at this. Oh, I do this too. It's easy to look at somebody and say you're bad at that. That's lazy. Anybody can notice that. But when was the last time he put a little energy and effort into a relationship where you could look at somebody and say, now you are really.
Speaker 3: Good at that.
Speaker 4: You don't know the difference that will make in that person's life. Someone said that people are not like clay to be molded by us, but they're like gifts to be unfolded when you notice these incredible gifts are in people's lives.
Speaker 2: The second way is by showing attention. That's just acceptance, but attention. Now that takes more time than acceptance. You know, you can accept somebody and still ignore them, and I accept you just stay out of my life. And so you can disregard people, you can overlook them. And the Bible says in Galatians six' ten give special. Attention circle that give special attention to those who are in the family of. Believers now why do they get special? Attention it's one of the benefits of being in the family Of. God it's one of the benefits of being a part of a. Church you get special. Attention it's the flip side of what we looked at two weeks, ago where it said pay attention to those outside the. Family but this says give special attentions to those who are believers in the family Of. God why because here's the general. Principle whatever you pay attention to is going to. Grow IF i pay attention to my, garden it's going to. Grow IF i pay attention to my, kids they're going to. Grow IF i pay attention to my, marriage it's going to grow and get. Better IF i pay attention to my, work that's going to. Grow the only principle where this doesn't work is my. Hair the more ATTENTION i pay to, it the more it falls. Out, now what is the greatest gift of? Love, well it's not, diamonds and it's not, flowers and it's not. Chocolate the greatest gift of love you can give is focused. Attention focused. Attention you, know you can affirm people just by looking them in the. Eye and just by looking them in the, eye you're SAYING i value. You what you have to say is important to me because you matter to. Me and what people want more than anything else is focused. Attention they want to know that their thoughts, matter that their lives, matter that they are. Valuable you're not just watching THE tv or reading the paper while you're listening to. Them you are focusing on. Them god pays attention to. You he, says even the hairs on your head are. Numbered And jesus said that the essence of relationships is not what we do for each. Other and the essence of relationationships is not even what we give to each other provide for each. Other the essence of relationships is how much of ourselves we give to each other focused. Attention, now a lot of guys we just don't get. THIS i can't tell you how many Men i've talked to who, SAID i don't understand. IT i provide everything my family. NEEDS i give my wife everything she. NEEDS i provide my kids with everything. Needs what more do they? Want they want? You they want, You they want your, Time they want your, attention they want your. Focus they want to know that you think they, matter and so they need time with. You and nothing can compensate for. Time kids don't need. Things they need. Parents they need, time and marriages need, time and friendships need, time and groups need. Time, now one of the greatest things that keeps us from doing this is televis And. Internet the Average american now WATCHES tv and our works are plays on their computer five to six hours a. Day that's over thirty hours a. Week that's one, thousand five hundred and sixty hours a. Year, now fifteen hundred and sixty hours is the equivalent of spending ninety seven days straight at sixteen hours a day doing nothing but sitting in front of the television of the. Computer, well it's no wonder we don't have time for. Relationships it always amazed me When friends was. ON i guess it's still on in. Syndication but When friends, on people would rather Watch friends than make, friends and they would religiously spend an hour every night watching the. Reruns but they wouldn't think of spending an hour every night making a. Friend they'd rather watch somebody else live a fake life than them live a real. Life, now knowing that this Is Orange, COUNTY i would be able to say that most of you sitting here and in our, venue who are in time starved, relationships you are you're in a time starved. Relationship as a book came out years ago called A starving For. Attention it was about our. Anorexia but most relationships are starving for. Attention so let me ask you who do you tend to? Overlook it's often the people closest to. You who do you tend to? Overlook do you overlook the receptionists at? Work do you overlook the secretary? There do you overlook the male person who is the person that's in your life all the, time but you just don't see them because you're too busy doing something. Else here's WHAT i want you to do this. WEEK i want you to look for opportunities to show attention to the people in your. Life to pay. Attention that is the greatest gift of love you can give, them and don't just wait for it to. Happen make opportunities to show. Attention and THEN i want you to schedule time this week with both your group and your family because you need both of them in your life to. Grow they're essential to growth because we need acceptance and we need. Attention, now here's the third practical way that you can help people. Grow your, husband your, wife your, boyfriend, anybody you help them grow by showing, affection. Affection i'm talking about physical. Touch. Now you, know we've all read about babies and the failure to thrive. Syndrome that means that little, infants if they are not, stroked if they're not, caressed if they're not, touched as they grow, up they don't, Develop they don't grow the way That god intended for them to. Grow babies have to be. TOUCHED i think that's WHY i made them so, soft because you want to touch. Them you, know you want to nuzzle, them you want to hold them, close and they need that stimulation of skin in order to grow and. Develop, now most people know that it's called the failure to thrive. Syndrome what most people don't know is adults need it. TOO ucla to the study a while back and discovered that to be a, healthy, fulfilled satisfied, adult you need eight to ten meaningful touches every. Day said, Boy i'm getting. Cheated you do, handshakes, hugs pat on the bat, back a little. Squeeze you were made for being. Touched whether you ever marry or, not whether you ever have sex or, not you need touches in your life in order to grow and to be all That god wants you to. Be and YET i talk to a lot of people sometimes on the patty who, say you, Know, rick the only physical AFFECTION i get all week is at, church when you, say turn around and hug, somebody or turn around and shake hands with, somebody or give somebody a pat on? Them he, Said are they say that's ALL i get all Week When i'm out on the patio AND i hug somebody off in, wonder how long does that hug have to last that? Person most of you, Know i'm pretty famous for, hugging because if you get in my, way you're gonna get. Hugged and that's WHY i know why some of you leave, early because you're. Chicken, OKAY i see you up there in the bleachers your last. Song you side out because you Think i'll get out Before rick gets out. Here but you can, run you can't. Hide i'm gonna get.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 2: Eventually you're gonna get. Hugged everybody stand up right? Now, oh he, said oh, no, everybody stand. Up come, on stand. Up, okay stretch, everybody, stretch go, ahead, Stretch, okay touch your, toes touch your neighbor's. Toes, OKAY i want you to turn, around AND i want you to hug a total. Stranger go, ahead turn, around hug a total. Stranger all, right all, right sit, down, okay sit down. Now NOW i know that there were two reactions to what we just. Did some of you are, Thinking i'm never going back to that church, again and the smarter ones are, thinking next, Week i'm sitting by somebody. Cute, Okay So Pastor, rick do it again next week And i'll be ready next. Time. Okay, Oh Brother roman's twelfth. Ten let's read it aloud, together love one another with brotherly affection as members of one. Family, hey we're. Family we're all in the family Of. God you're my, sister you're my. Brother brothers and sisters show affection to each. Other you got to show, what not just say. It it's not just enough to tell people or say you love. Them they need to feel.
Speaker 1: It this Is Pastor Rick's Daily. Hope we're so happy you've chosen to study along with us. Today if you'd like to receive hope and encouragement every, day delivered right to your, inbox then sign up For rick's free daily devotional by going To pastororick dot com right. Now rick will be back to close out our time. Today but, first what does it take to become more, loving live more, peacefully develop patients have self? Control in his Book God's power To Change Your, Life rick lays the groundwork for personal, transformation then offers biblical insights and simple steps for ten areas of growth that you can take from where you are to where you want to. Be Here's Pastor rick to tell you.
Speaker 2: More you, Know i've been a pastor for over three, decades And i've been teaching The word Of god for over four. Decades and in all of that, time the number one Question i've been asked by people is, this how CAN i? Change or why CAN'T i? Change i've talked to literally thousands and thousands of people who want to change but are just stuck and they can't figure out how to get. Unstuck you, know the truth is you can't change on your own because will power alone isn't enough to make permanent. Changes, sure you can force yourself to change for a month or two, months but pretty soon you're going to go back to your old, ways pulling yourself up by your own. Bootstraps is not. Enough talking yourself into a change by positive thinking is not. Enough The bible, says true transformational change only comes through the power Of god inside. You so let k you a personal. Question how do you want to be different at the end of this? Year what changes would you like to make in your? Life what goals would you like to see accomplished in your? Life, well it is going to happen on your. Own you're going to Need god's, power AND i want you to understand how to plug in To god's. Power that's why this Month i'm sending Out God's power To Change Your, life a book That i've. Written when you give a financial gift to Support Daily hope broadcast and, ministries you Know Daily hope is one hundred percent supported by. Listeners we have no other outside source of. Income it's supported by your. Gifts and when you give to support this ministry this, MONTH i want to give back to you this, Book God's power To change Your.
Speaker 1: Life this book connects you with the power to actually make the changes you long to. Make and as you apply the truth Of god's word by the power Of his, spirit your life will. Change you'll move out of your run and get on track With god's wonderful purposes for your life and, today when you give a gift To Daily hope to help take the hope Of jesus to people, Everywhere we'll send You Pastor rick's book Called God's power To Change Your life to say. Thanks just go To pastorick dot com right now to get your, copy or you can call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and. Four That's pastorick dot com or eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four and be sure to let us know which station you hurt us. On thanks so much for your. Support there's only three days left to get this great, resource so don't. Wait be sure to join us again next time as we look Into god's word for our daily. Hope this program is sponsored By Daily Hope ministries and your generous financial support