Speaker 1: Ever feel like stepping into the digital world is like like navigating a minefield. I mean, with all the security threats out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a jungle out there, it really is.
Speaker 1: So today we're doing a deep dive into Microsoft three sixty five security, yeah, using Peter Rising's MS five hundred exam guide. Yeah, hopefully it'll give us a map to navigate this crazy digital world.
Speaker 2: It's a good one, yeah, a good roadmap. And you know it's not just for like acing the exam, right, which is great obviously, but this guide is actually jam packed with advice that anyone you know, responsible for Microsoft three sixty five security can.
Speaker 1: Use exactly real world practical stuff. So Peter Rising, the author, he's a pretty big deal right in Microsoft Security.
Speaker 2: Oh totally. Yeah, over twenty five years in it. He's seen it all, and he really knows his stuff.
Speaker 1: He's been there, done that, and.
Speaker 2: He really emphasizes understanding the why behind the what when it comes to security, yes.
Speaker 1: Which is so important absolutely, because it's not just about checking boxes. It's about making informed decisions right about why you're doing things. And so one of the things he talks about is hybrid identity, yes, which I have to admit sounds a little intimidating.
Speaker 2: It can be a little bit, yeah, but Rising really breaks it down well. Hybrid identity is basically about managing those user accounts both on your on premises active directory okay, and in the cloud with Azure Active Directory.
Speaker 1: Okay. So you've got these two separate systems. How do you make sure they're talking to each other.
Speaker 2: That is where directory synchronization comes in.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So Azure AD Connect used to be called dursync. That's the tool that makes the magic happen.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It makes sure that your on premises active directory data it's SYNCD up with Azure ad Okay, so you have one single source of truth for user identities.
Speaker 1: Ah So, no more logging in from your phone and having to remember a completely different password.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. It streamlines that user experience. Nice, but it also makes that security even stronger.
Speaker 1: Music to my ears, right. But let's talk about authentication methods because Rising gets into a few different options.
Speaker 2: Yeah he does, and they all have like their own pros and cass absolutely. So you've got password hash sync. That one is pretty simple to set up. It basically sends a secure hash of the user's password to Azure AD.
Speaker 1: Okay, so not the actual password, just a scrambled version of it exactly.
Speaker 2: It's efficients, but it might not be the best for like highly sensitive environments.
Speaker 1: So what's the alternative? If you want something a little more robust.
Speaker 2: Then you got passed through authentication. So with this one, Azure AD checks those log and attempts directly against your on prem ad.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's definitely more secure, but it needs a constant connection to those on premises servers.
Speaker 1: The trade off, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could say that security versus complexity. Yeah, and then there's federation okay, often using adfs, and that one's kind of like your on premises AD vouching for the user to Azure AD. Okay, So it gives you a lot more control, but it can be trickier to set up and maintain.
Speaker 1: So many options. I know, right, it's clear that picking the right authentication method is crucial.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: But once you have that figured out, Rising doesn't let up on those security measures, does he.
Speaker 2: No, he does not.
Speaker 1: He is all about multi factor authentication.
Speaker 2: He is. He calls it non negotiable these days, and honestly, I gotta agree, Yeah, because even if someone gets your password with MFA, they still need that second form of verification to get in it.
Speaker 1: Look a pincot they send to your phone, or a fingerprint scan.
Speaker 2: Or something exactly. That extra layer of protection can make all the difference. Yeah, and it's not just about those outside threats, you know, it's also about those risks from inside, like accidental data leaks or internal threats.
Speaker 1: Right, Because let's be honest, we've all accidentally sent an email to the wrong person.
Speaker 2: Oh, tell me about it, or clicked on a phishing link that seemed totally legit at the time. Oh yeah, totally, which is exactly why Rising's a big fan of self service password reset. It lets users reset their own password securely, okay, without having to get it involved every single.
Speaker 1: Time, which is good for everybody, all right, less work for it and less waiting around for.
Speaker 2: Users, exactly, everybody wins. But let's get into some of the more advanced security features, okay that Rising talks about in the guide. Okay, I think Azure AD identity protection is really interesting.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say that's the one that caught my eye too. It sounds very high tech.
Speaker 2: It sounds like something out of a spy movie.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 2: It's basically always analyzing user behavior, looking for anything sus anything that might mean an account's been compromised.
Speaker 1: Okay, Like what kinds of things would it flag?
Speaker 2: So let's say you're logging in from a new place, okay, or a bunch of failed log in attempts, or even like it can tell if your login info has shown up in a data breach somewhere.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, It's like it knows things before you do, right, So what happens when it does spot something?
Speaker 2: That's the cool part. You can set it up to automatically take action. Okay, So it can block access, force a password reset, or even make you do extra authentication.
Speaker 1: Oh so it's not just telling you something's wrong, it's actually doing something.
Speaker 2: About it exactly. It's proactive security.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 2: Then you've got as your advanced threat protection or as your ATP. That one goes even further, monitoring your network for those like really sneaky threats, stuff like lateral movement or like data being taken out.
Speaker 1: Okay, hold on, what's lateral movement?
Speaker 2: Okay? So imagine someone breaks into your network, right, Lateral movement is when they try to like sneak around once they're in looking for valuable data or systems to attack.
Speaker 1: Oh so they're like casing the.
Speaker 2: Joint basically, and as your ATP, it's designed to catch them in the act. I see, even if those activities would normally go unnoticed.
Speaker 1: That's good. So that's like our network security guard, right, keeping an eye on things, right. But what about protecting the actual devices? Ah? Good, point, not just the network.
Speaker 2: That's where Microsoft Defender ATP comes in.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It provides that extra layer of security right on the device.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It has stuff like anti virus, anti malware, and endpoint Detection and Response EDR EDR.
Speaker 1: What is that exactly?
Speaker 2: So EDR it's all about catching and then responding to threats that got past your other defenses.
Speaker 1: So it's like our last line of defense.
Speaker 2: You got it, like your security team working right on the device.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And Rising really emphasizes using features like application Guard, application control, and exploit Guard.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: They seem like small things, but they can make a huge difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sometimes it's the little things right totally.
Speaker 2: For example, application Guard, it basically makes a safe space for you to browse websites that might be risky oh okay, so even if you click a bad link, your system is still safe.
Speaker 1: Oh, like a safety net for browsing exactly.
Speaker 2: And then there's Application control. That one lets you choose exactly which apps can run on your devices, okay, and it blocks everything else. It's a great way to stop any bad programs from causing problem.
Speaker 1: And then there's exploit guard right. That sounds like it's dealing with those weaknesses in software that hackers are always trying to take advantage.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's a set of tools that makes it way harder for attackers to get into your system.
Speaker 1: I like it. So it sounds like we've got all our bases covered almost, from user identity to device security and everything in between.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Rising doesn't stop there. He also talks about data loss prevention or DLP.
Speaker 1: Oh right, DLP because sometimes it's not hackers, right, it's just people making mistakes exactly.
Speaker 2: DLP can detect things like credit card numbers, social security numbers, all those sensitive data types, okay, and it stops them from being shared if they shouldn't be. Oh.
Speaker 1: So it's like it's watching over your shoulder and making sure you don't accidentally send something you should pretty much.
Speaker 2: And it's not just about those accidental leaks, Okay. It also makes sure you're following all those data privacy rules like GDPR, right, because GDPR is a big deal, huge, especially for companies working with data from the EU.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Rising actually has a whole section on GDPR. He talks about how tools like the GDPR dashboard, the tool, and the Service Trust Portal can really help organizations deal with those requirements.
Speaker 1: So it's all about being responsible with data, not just protecting it from attacks, exactly.
Speaker 2: And then there's E discovery. Okay, might sound a bit technical, but it's really important for legal and compliance stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is E discovery. I'm not really familiar with that one.
Speaker 2: So imagine you're involved in a legal case, okay, and you need to find every email, document, everything related to a specific person or topic.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: E discovery lets you search across all your Microsoft three sixty five stuff to find exactly what you need really quickly.
Speaker 1: So it's like a superpowered search engine for lawyers basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's not just for legal cases, right, you can use it for internal investigations too or audits.
Speaker 1: Oh, very cool.
Speaker 2: It's a handy tool.
Speaker 1: So Microsoft three sixty five security. That's a lot.
Speaker 2: It is more than meets the eye, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so many different aspects to it.
Speaker 2: There are it's like peeling back layers of an onion. But I think there's a common thread here. It's not a set and forget it kind of thing. You got to be on it constantly, monitoring, adapting, staying ahead of the bad guy.
Speaker 1: Always be one step ahead.
Speaker 2: Exactly because those threats they're always changing, and so should your defenses.
Speaker 1: So it's a journey, not a destination exactly.
Speaker 2: You got to keep moving or you'll get.
Speaker 1: Left behind, right, And the bad guys are not slowing down, No.
Speaker 2: They are not. One thing I really like about Rising's approach he doesn't get all technical on you. Yeah, you know, he explains things in a way that makes sense even if you're not like a cybersecurity pro.
Speaker 1: Exactly, because at the end of the day, security is everybody's job.
Speaker 2: Everybody's not just the IT department, right.
Speaker 1: It's like everybody's got to do their part.
Speaker 2: And you know something that really surprised me.
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 2: Just the sheer number of apps in the Microsoft app catalog.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, how many are we talking.
Speaker 2: Over sixteen thousand. You're kidding, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: That is a lot of apps.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of potential ways for things to go wrong if you're not careful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, more apps, more problems.
Speaker 2: Pretty much, it's like having a million doors to your house, you know. Yeah, you got to make sure they all lock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point, which.
Speaker 2: Is why Rising talks about cloud app security. It's all about knowing what apps your users are accessing in the cloud and how to manage them.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a security guard for the cloud exactly.
Speaker 2: You can check out each app, see how risky it is, set some rules for how to use it, even block the bad ones.
Speaker 1: I like it sounds like Rising's guide is pretty comprehensive.
Speaker 2: It's really good.
Speaker 1: If our listeners could take away just one thing from our little deep dive here, what would you want that to be?
Speaker 2: That security? It's not a one and done deal, Okay, It's got to be an ongoing thing, right, Always adapting, always learning, always stay in one step ahead.
Speaker 1: So no matter how secure you think you are, don't get complacent.
Speaker 2: Exactly, never stop learning, never stop questioning, and never ever stop testing your defenses.
Speaker 1: Wise words and that brings us to the end of our deep dive into Microsoft three sixty five security. We covered a lot today hybrid identity, multi factor authentication, data loss prevention, e discovery. Wow, I feel like I need to nap me too. Hopefully you're walking away feeling a little more confident, a little more prepared to tackle your organization's security.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and if you're looking for a complete guide to walk you through it all, I highly recommend checking out Peter Rising's book Microsoft three sixty five Security Administration MS five hundred Exam Guide. It's a mouthful, it is, but it's worth it. It's a must read. If you're serious about keeping your data safe, consider.
Speaker 1: It your security bible, and remember knowledge is power, Stay informed, stay aware, and stay safe.
Speaker 2: Out there could have said it better myself.